[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rolling resistance and static friction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: fit 4chan.jpg (323KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fit 4chan.jpg
323KB, 1600x1600px
If I'm rolling something on a bunch of ball bearings, do I need to overcome static friction before the thing starts rolling?
>>
nope
>>
>>7937672

ok thanks
>>
>>7937643
you need static friction to stop the base of the ball to start rolling.
>>
>>7937689

but do I need to overcome static friction to roll something?

In other words, if I were pushing something on wheels, and I started from 0 N all the way until it started moving, and then I maintained that movement, what would the graph of the applied force look like?
>>
>>7937695
the static friction pushes the base of the ball backwards, so the top of the ball rolls. when it's rolling, friction is still helping your roll by preventing sliding.

these are of course ideal wheels, real wheels of course are affected by static friction
>>
>>7937643
What exactly fucked anon's liver?
>>
>>7937643
No, the whole point of bearings is that it doesn't have any friction

>>7938074
To many vitamins and shit that the liver couldn't handle it.
>>
>>7937643
>>7937695
>I started from 0 N all the way until it started moving, and then I maintained that movement, what would the graph of the applied force look like

Not enough info, because what you are dealing with is not static friction of kinetic friction, but rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is composed of various different effects (deformation of the ball, constantly making and then breaking bonds with the surface, etc.) that don't necessarily behave simply.
>>
>>7938086

Why would anybody even do this to themselves, just taking supplements all day
>>
>>7938116
>>>/fit/ go ask. You'll likely get meme'd in to oblivion.
>>
>>7937643

static friction is what rolls the bearings, if you overcome it they stop rolling and start sliding
>>
>>7937643
I googled "vitamin K overdose" and didn't get any good results
>>
>>7938157
According to Wikipedia, K3 is toxic to liver cells.
>>
>>7937643
>I'm rolling something
it's moving
>static friction
it's not moving
>do I need to overcome static friction
>before the thing starts rolling?
take a wild guess
>>
>incorrectly listening to TYVD's advice
>blaming Tiny for anything

ISHYGDDT
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.