[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/eng/ - Engineering General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8

File: engineering.jpg (25KB, 543x271px) Image search: [Google]
engineering.jpg
25KB, 543x271px
I might as well give it a go.

Post whatever you are working on, share the best books for beginners and people that is interested in learning or taking engineering.

>What are you studying/did you study?
>What projects are you working on?
>Did you go to college or are you autodidact?
>Which books are the best for your area?

If it goes well we might have a wiki or a pastebin.
>>
File: 1451625097839.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451625097839.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>7777475
CS. Machine Learning Specialization.

Graduate Student. Working on Hyperloop design.
College and Autodidact on EE curriculum.

Bishop - Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning.
>>
>>7777475
>If it goes well we might have a wiki

We already do

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanical_and_Aerospace_Engineering
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Electrical_and_Electronics_Engineering
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Chemical_Engineering
>>
>>7777481
What are your references for studying EE?

>>7777485
Thanks.
>>
Any good books on numeric methods?
>>
Get for dead cats
>>
>>7777518
That's an illegal move monica.
>>
Delicious bump
>>
>>7777475
>Did you go to college or are you autodidact?
There's no such thing as an autodidactic engineer, by definition it refers to an engineering professional which is a legal term not an opinion.
>>
>>7777475
>Currently studying MechE
>Learning robotics at the moment
Does anybody know how expensive getting into robotics is?
>>
>>7778706
I guess Tesla wasn't an engineer then.

You can have the knowledge without legally calling yourself an engineer.
>>
File: ts.jpg (11KB, 477x308px) Image search: [Google]
ts.jpg
11KB, 477x308px
>>7778747
I think it's very expensive
>>
>>7778706

Fortunately for me, all i need is 4 years experience and to pass the FE exam.
>>
>>7778706
>There's no such thing as an autodidactic engineer

There used to be many autodidactic EEs just a few decades ago.
>>
>>7777475
Still thinking about mechanical and chemical engineering.
>>
>>7778926
There used to be DIY lawyers and doctors too, but we don't live in meme times anymore.
>>
>>7778964
Maybe in your shitty country.
>>
>>7778979
The US of A?

>B-but they said I could write a FE!
Because it's not engineering. It's some stupid tech related shit that ABET also accredits. ABET accredits a ton of shit. To be a real FE you sit a discipline specific exam (ie only ChemE degree holders can sit the ChemE FE etc.).

I'm sick of you fucking NEET le anti-establishment retards getting this confused every fucking time.

FUCKING READ THE DOCUMENTS THIS TIME YOU NIGGERS.

>International Washington accord and international engineering alliance:
>ASAC (Applied Science Accreditation Commission) which governs your degree cannot give isn't EAC (Engineering Accreditation Commission) and the former does not have the power to award professional engineering degrees.
>http://www.abet.org/accreditation/#collapse-19
>Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC)
>Your degree specifically needs to have the word "engineering" in it to qualify for professional registration. All the other degrees are accredited as ASAC which is not engineering.
>http://www.eac.org.my/web/document/FAQ.pdf
>http://www.ieagreements.org/Best_Prct_Full_Doc.pdf?7471
>>
To become an engineer you need an engineering degree. It's pretty simple and regulated in pretty all countries.

But what is possible that you can still in the engineering field with a computer science, math, physics, chemistry etc. background.
>>
>>7777517
Numerical Methods for Engineers by Chapra
>>
>>7778992
Go to the uni as a listener, present all tests, get honorary degree.
>>
How much chemistry does chemical engineering have?
>>
>>7779101
Most of the technical side of the programme is more about -aside from the shitton of intro engineering courses- transfer processes (heat, mass and momentum transfer), control engineering and reaction engineering (the last employing virtually you've learned and including chemical kinetics with non-ideal mixing etc., not really things done in a chemistry programme).

Classes we took from the chemistry department in my programme had general chemistry I, II. Organic chemistry I-II and analytical chemistry all wrapped up at the 4th semester. Physical chemistry was handled by our own department and continued at 3rd year with chemical thermodynamics.

Biggest classes you will miss out on for not doing chemistry are:
>Inorganic chemistry at a 2nd and final year level.
>Quantum chemistry (incl. group theory etc.)
>Analytical chemistry at a final year level (usually with much more focus on modern NMR techniques).
>Synthesis at a final year level.
>etc.
Some ChemE programmes cover molecular thermodynamics in Chem thermo, though as far as undergrad goes you're more likely to do this in a chemistry programme.
>>
>>7779146
So would you say that CE is something for people who want a healthy mix of engineering and chemistry?
>>
Best programming languages for mechanical engineers? Electrical?
>>
>>7779171
CE refers to computer engineering not chemical.

>is something for people who want a healthy mix of engineering and chemistry?
No. If you want chemistry, do chemistry.

The discipline you study during undergrad has an enormous influence on your thinking and problem solving patterns. Learning knowledge and introductory skills from other disciplines does not mean you can easily work in that discipline.

Don't do ChemE just because you think it will give you a better job using chemistry.

Study chemistry if you want to work as a chemist one day.
>>
About to go into 2nd year Engineering next year, currently thinking of Civil as my major (kinda thinking about Chemistry too since I did really well in Thermo but it doesn't interest me that much)
>>
>>7780387
How does the majoring/minoring thing works? I can't really grasp that concept.
>>
>>7780441
a major is pretty straight forward, you already know

a minor is basically if you want to study something else on the side and have some proof you studied it, that's about it

sometimes you only need a class or two more to complete a minor or sometimes you just want to somewhat study something else that's also relevant

only get a minor for personal interest really otherwise double major
>>
>>7779240
>Mechanical
That's really broad, but you can't go wrong with VBA and MATLAB
>>
didn't the CS general die after the first one?

is this both engineering and CS? you should make it more specific in the name
>>
>in Canada
Was mechanical engineering really worth being accepted into?
>>
>>7780475
How much time does each one takes? Is it the same as a full degree vs a technical degree?
>>
>>7777475
What types of feedforward networks are there? Is it only the perceptron and MLP with different activation functions?
>>
>>7780495
>VBA
>FUCKING VBA
>RECOMMENDING FUCKING VBA WITH A STRAIGHT FACE

FUCK OFF
>>
>>7780928
At least it is used in industry.
>>
>>7780963
>the industry
>THE INDUSTRY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FUCKING POST THIS IN /G/ AND SEE WHAT THEY TELL YOU
>>
I'm a junior ME undergrad and still don't have any significant personal projects but I don't know shit about machining, though I'm willing to learn. What are some cool projects I can do for my portfolio that requires skills from my classes? In addition to the core curriculum, I've taken electives in controls, vibrations, and C++.
>>
>>7780969
No that guy, but I've seen VBA required for certain data analysis jobs, the pay was pretty good. Quite why it's used is a question for someone more knowledgeable than me.
>>
>>7781011
It's used in businesses that don't know shit about computing, the kind that do all their stuff in excel so VBA happens to be convenient. "Pay's good" doesn't mean shit
>>
>>7780969
/g/ is not a good place to get an accurate software review.
>>
>>7779240

Matlab, C++, Python/Lua, Maple/Mathematica

In that order of importance
>>
File: final fall grades..png (16KB, 481x272px) Image search: [Google]
final fall grades..png
16KB, 481x272px
I want to get into the computer engineering program in CSU Long Beach, SDSU, or Cal Poly Pomona. I chose those because they are an hour to an hour and a half away from my house and they are the cheapest schools where I don't get into too much debt. What are my chances of succeeding as a computer engineer major?
>>
>>7780568
CS belongs in >>>/g/

If you want to discuss CpE then that's fine.
>>
>>7780441

A minor is typically 6 classes that sometimes exclude intro classes like 1st year foreign languages, single variable calculus, etc.

Some schools require you to have a minor in addition to a major and others drop it if there are a lot of classes in your major already.
>>
File: CabifyLogoNegro_RGB.png (125KB, 5186x1527px) Image search: [Google]
CabifyLogoNegro_RGB.png
125KB, 5186x1527px
>>7777475
I am in a middle of an multi-platform application project. Its has 60% similarity of any taxi/client software like pic related.

Do you guys know where can I find developers who have experience with GPS and GPRS?

You can contact me on [email protected]
>>
>>7781055
So it's only one semester?
>>
>>7781011
Yes that is why companies like Google, Facebook, et al all use VBA for their data analysis needs instead of sane tools like Python, R, Java...
>>
>>7781046
But CpE is just CS with E&M classes and FPGAs...
>>
What can you guys tell me about Automation & Control Engineering?
I mean, how relevant is it? Is it a good area?
>>
>>7781043
Nice grades dude
>>
>>7781604
Yes, at my university a minor is typically an extra semester and a double major in a similar field around a year extra. People usually use their technical electives to satisfy their minor requirements. You will have to check individual school policies on this, as some are generous in letting you overlap courses from your major/minor and others not so much.
>>
>>7781861
I was just thinking about making a thread about that. I'm a ChemE undergrad interested in process control, and I heard that Control Engineers can study some shit about transport phenomena and thermodynamics and go deeper into process control than ChemE, and they also can play the same role that MechEs and EEs (I have some interest is MechE and EE as well) play in some industries. If someone who knows the things about control theory and its applications in ChemE, MechE and/or EE feel like talking about it, it would be very nice.
>>
>>7781883

It's a community college, so those grades would probably be Cs/Bs in a university.
>>
>>7782076
Interesting. That does not apply to universities outside of english speaking countries so this is a new concept to me. There are similar things but you don't get recognition for the extra semesters.
>>
>>7781046
Oh fuck right off. That degree requires as much involvement as any other.
>>
>>7782211
But anon, this is an engineering general.
I want to specialize in CS once I finish my CE.
>>
File: 1276270181286.jpg (160KB, 1069x1107px) Image search: [Google]
1276270181286.jpg
160KB, 1069x1107px
>>7777475
Should I dump my engineer folder?
>>
>>7782226
Sure.
>>
>>7780817
just a mini meaningless degree
as i said only venture into a minor for personal interest to supplement the understanding of your major or whatnot

dont even think of it as a degree really rather just a personal addon to your major
>>
>>7782226
Absolutely. We understand that calling us faggots is a necessary coping mechanism for your crippling poverty as someone in the pure sciences.
>>
Anyone here done both physics and engineering or just know enough of both to tell me how the math compares?

I transferred into upper division physics and find the physical concepts to be washed away under the wall of math. Not that I didnt expect more math, but to be thrown upper division math major/graduate physics math with no rigor or formality to actually understand it, and for there to be such volume of it that the physical concepts seem to take a back seat, just kills my interest in it. I had initially thought to go through grad school in physics but I just dont think I can tolerate learning entirely new mathematical concepts anymore.

Essentially my question is whether engineering has the math as more of a tool, not requiring much more than lower division math and some numerical methods, and hence will be more palatable or if I should entirely abandon that as a major and go software eng/compsci while self-teaching electronics and some mechanical stuff (I intend to do some of all of that regardless). This is both for the sake of completing the degree and being able to launch a career.
>>
>>7777475

>Studied?

BS mechanical, MS aerospace

> Projects?

I work in the defense industry so my work is classified but it's mainly optimization and creating physics-based simulations of certain types of missiles.

>College?

Yes

>Books?

Anderson is God tier for aerodynamics, no strong opinion on any others.
>>
>>7782330
would you recommend mechE over aeroE for a bachelors ?
>>
>>7782330
>I work in the defense industry
How do you sleep at night?
>>
>>7782290
Engineering is very fast and loose with math. It will irk your autism. Aside from the obvious classes like calc. of variations etc. undergrad physics use more formal maths in comparison and especially employs more advanced algebra (in it's own formulation) a lot more. Engineering use a ton of lower division math that's for sure, there aren't many (if any) classes where you won't encounter an DE, but also some upper division math not taught in physics such as control theory, non-linear dynamics, as you said more advanced numerical methods (mostly for non-linear PDE simulations), some tensors depending on the discipline. Also some analytical PDEs etc. But this mostly depends on the discipline and can vary a lot from department to department so anything I list is not really reliable.

I'm not exactly sure what you're problem is, but engineering does have higher volume of math than physics in general, however, the bulk of that math is much simpler to understand (it's pretty much all DEs; you will find rare/special functions/structures less often than physics) if that's what you mean.

Definitely don't make the mistake of thinking engineering is stuck at lower level math though. If you plan on doing research or getting high salary jobs you will be both learning formally and self teaching a lot of "upper division" math, which will mostly be new, engineering maths rather than pure maths. For example engineering optimisation is generally very different from applied math optimisation etc. Read a few journals articles to see what I mean.
>>
>>7782235

What is it that makes engineering monetizable unlike the pure sciences?

I'm assuming it's how to apply the theory - but here's another stupid question, couldn't the mathematicians and physicists just learn the same stuff?
>>
>>7782381
One is intended as a professional degree the other one is academic.

That's like asking why medicine is highly monetizable while biology is not.
>>
>>7778761

No, you can't. At least not in Texas.
>>
>>7782381
engineering is an application of knowledge in the form of producing goods and services. That's a skill in high demand in many new and existing industries.

As for majoring in pure sciences: if you're not absolutely amazing in your field, you're fucking garbage and no one is interested when there are 14-year-olds with autism pushing the boundary of knowledge faster than you ever could.
>>
What does /sci/ think about engineering physics?

I'm asking for the program, the research, the jobs, the future...

>inb4 meme field, It is not pure

I know that /sci/ considers engineering physics a meme, but give me reasons.
>>
> Industrial Engineering
> Beginning the second out of four years in college.

Since I'm a beginner, the only book I can recommend is Ron Larson's Calculus, have it on PDF.

I'm From Guatemala. It is a third world country where using fractions is seen as witchcraft and people fear science and speaking other language rather than spanish.

Planning on getting a Masters abroad.
>>
>>7782409
You'll want to kill yourself by the end of it. Just go for mechanical engineering. Better yet, go to Waterloo instead of Toronto.
>>
>>7782335

Yes.

>>7782361

Kek
>>
Has anyone done or is doing EE in New Zealand?
>>
>>7782456
>You'll want to kill yourself by the end of it.

Is it too hard?
Would I commit suicide due to the poor job ofert?

It's too late for me, I'm coursing four year of engineering physics.
>>
They made a couple boards for you guys already:

>>>/hm/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>Chem E about to graduate
>live in Alberta

how fucked am I?

>>7782290
Math is probably more simple than in physics, but you will get your dose of math daily no problem, unless you like real math taught by mathematicians. Not bashing it, we just have different goals.

example - In applied math differential equations taught by math professors, I was trying to prove if a solution even fucking existed for the longest time and under what conditions.

In my actual engineering class - I used solutions to common DEs to solve transport phenomena problems in scenarios that could be realistic, not worrying about proving anything.
>>
>>7782381
Pure sciences are only really needed for research jobs, of which there are a limited number. Mathematicians and physicists can work in finance because of their mathematical ability, but that is about it. Not only are engineers needed in R&D, but pretty much anyone who produces or constructs anything has need of an engineer in one form or another
>>
>>7782409
Believe in yourself!
>>
>>7782527
All engineering is hard, even the easy ones are "hard". The problem is when you put in all that time and hard work for seemingly nothing (because lolno jobs and people don't hold you on the same level as someone with a real engineering degree).

This is why people who studied things like nanoengineering are offing themselves (or at least telling /sci/ they are; we've been warning people since 2010). Like EP it's not an established brand like the traditional disciplines, and not very useful for finding a job including research jobs where people stick with what they know.

We warn you about the meme disciplines, but you never listen. See you in your regret thread in 4 years with whatever the equivalent of the green frog will be I guess.
>>
>>7782577
>how fucked am I?

>move
>get unfucked
>>
>>7782407
You can't have knowledge in Texas?
>>
Trying to figure out how to close a door more efficiently. Mathfags btfo.
>>
>>7782679
Ok, but we can pick a specialization. Doesn't the specialization make the degree useful?
>>
Thinking of taking EE. I'm solid in maths, and I enjoy working with systems and technology - I want to do work which I can enjoy. I know some C.

For EEfags:
>post your syllabus
>how are you finding it? Interesting/boring parts?
>things I should know before taking EE?
>what job do you have? Salary? Hours? do you like it?
> books to read to give me a taste?
>>
File: pepe1111111.jpg (60KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepe1111111.jpg
60KB, 700x500px
>tfw it seems like I'm the only one repping my major

Being a NukeE hurts senpai
>>
>>7783602
Why?
>>
>>7783605
Because we're under-acknowledged, for instance, I went to look at the official website of engineer accreditation, and NukeE wasn't even listed under "other"
>>
>>7783617
Damn, I cant believe it is that way because nuclear energy is one of our few hopes for keeping us going past the depletion of our fossil fuel reserves.
>>
>>7783602
>>7783617

NukeE is dead mate.
>>
>>7783602
>>7783617
>specializing in nuke engineering

Man, you're gonna get even more red pepe when you find out nobody is hiring nuke engineers and the ones that are will be hiring elite university graduates.
>>
>>7779251
3rd year ChE undergrad here and I can't agree with this enough. I went into ChE thinking it was a mix but the chemistry you learn or is required is very little. This is through and through an engineering course you cannot come out a chemist from taking ChE. That being said I love my major
>>
>>7783629
good thing I attend a school that has a top 10 engineering program
>>
>>7783638
Good thing your mom still picks your clothes out for you in the morning
>>
File: pepe31.png (149KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
pepe31.png
149KB, 499x499px
>>7783645
found the pure science fag
>>
MechE ugrad here. Including AP credits, I have 7 more technical electives to choose from. Listed are the ones that sound interesting to me. Can you guys help me rank them in terms of importance for industry (or in other words, if I had to drop some of them, which would it be)? I don't have any particular interests in a specific field and would prefer to have a broad spectrum of knowledge.

>Continuum mechanics
>FEA
>Controls
>Acoustics
>Vibrations
>Aircraft design
>Compressible flow
>Aerodynamics
>Orbital mechanics
>Operations research
>Statistical thermodynamics (though I'm not sure about this one; I heard it's still very theoretical and may as well be proven wrong tomorrow)
>>
To my fellow EE majors, how did you guys chose your specialization? My school offers Electrophysics and Systems as tracks.

I'm in my last year and a half, and have to pick both a track and my electives. Going into this, I though I would go the electrophysics track and specialize in microelectronics, but now I'm just all over the place. I somehow ended up going into the systems track and thinking i'd like to specialize in control systems. Now i'm in a machine learning class, a grad level communications networks class, and have no clue what other electives to take that will complement those.
>>
>>7783671
I'd pick:
>Controls
>FEA
>Continuum mechanics
>Compressibleflow
>Vibration
>Aerodynamics
>Aircraft deign

Statistical thermo sounds interesting, but I think it is not that important for industry.
>>
hey /eng/ im doing general studies but I need to choose between software engineering and electrical engineering. is software engineering a meme degree?
>>
/eng/ just like the rest of /sci/ has turned into a narrower version of /adv/, until mods start insta bannin advice threads, uni threads, "what major is best" threads, posts and all of that shit this place will never be good...
Also how stupid are you people that you're even considering a Taiwanese snorkling board's opinion when it comes to what major you choose, most of the people here have no experience in industry/ academia or real life in general
>>
>>7783638
>top 10

Just say #10, anon.
>>
>>7784202
#kek
>>
>>7783638
You do know it's up to you if you are a good engineer? If you only stick to the program you'll not get very far in terms of knowledge.
>>
>>7783816
Thanks, that's almost the same as my list, except instead of aircraft design I have acoustics because I thought it'd be a more technical course and a good chance to learn wave stuff.
>>
>>7783844
That's why you phrase your questions to solicit an actual explanation. It both allows you to judge whether the person actually knows anything and helps you think further even if youre unsure of their veracity.
>>
Shitposter here. I'm an electrician that watches YouTube videos and reads books by Tesla and textbooks on fundamentals of electronics/electricity.
Can I have my engineering degree? I rent a garage and have even taken a bicycle apart and fitted it to an alternator just for shits n giggols
>>
>>7784607
That's quality shitposting man, congrats!
>>
>>7783827
choose computer engineering
>>
What are the best subspecialities for EE right now and in the future? I'm really surprised at how almost nothing is written about the topic.

And I don't necessarily mean the easiest. I'm looking for the most in-demand and obscure fields. You know, shit that will get me closest to the world sucking my dick.
>>
>>7786312
Control engineering
Digital Signal Processing
Biomedical Engineering
Robotics
Machine Learning/Data Science/Optimization Theory
I'd choose the first or the last
>>
>>7786347
Alright. I guess I'll do controls since its only 1 course in my uni anyway and it should be an easy base to cover. Seems really versatile since its related to manufacturing and shit ain't it?

ML and data science are more CS topics, though I've heard good things about them.

What's with DSP though. Isn't it oversaturated as fuck?
>>
>>7782407

You can't call yourself a license professional engineer, but you can still call yourself an engineer.

>>7781830

VBA is relatively easy to use and everyone has microsoft office and can run it. When programming is a secondary skillset to your primary job, it doesn't have to be elegant, you just have to get an answer. VBA has many limitations but you'll likely not experience them in most engineering fields.
>>
>>7781830
>Google, Facebook use VBA

[Citation needed]

>>7787016
>everyone has microsoft office
not really, otherwise agree with what you said
>>
I'm looking to get into neural engineering, but I don't know the best way to get there.
I'm going into my fourth college semester as a pre-med major. Up to this point I've been looking to get into an MD/PhD program for neuroscience, but now that I'm aware of the existence of neural engineering, I know that it is more specifically what I've been going for the entire time anyway.
How should I go about finishing up my undergrad? Should I just finish my pre-professional biology program and try to get into an MD/PhD program in biomedical engineering with a focus in neural engineering? Or would it be better to take an extra year or two and get both a pre-professional biology degree and a degree in an engineering field such as electrical engineering?
I only ask because it doesn't seem at all realistic to be able to go from a purely biological sciences undergraduate background into a graduate engineering program.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.