[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is wrong with /sci/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: -KYL3zA3abI.jpg (27KB, 421x404px) Image search: [Google]
-KYL3zA3abI.jpg
27KB, 421x404px
What tha fuck is going on here? Came from Russian imageboard here to checkout if /sci/ is better on 4ch. So all what I see are people showing off their collage grades, how-to-start-learning-maths/programming threads, what shape is better thread, "Why is biochemistry so much more interesting than pure chemistry?", IT noobs threads.
Chto za huynya blyad'? Where is fucking science?On Russian imageboard we discuss really important subjects, such as consciousness, Integrated information theory ,immortality, rocket engine and many many others. And real sciense discussions with conlcusions, while Russian science sucks big cock. Even our"stupid questions thread" does not contain so stupid and senseless posts like this board.We're tying to fuck up pseudo-science things like SETI etc. And actually this isn't just about /sci/ but about other s sections as well. What is wrong with you guys?
>>
>>7746861
i try to masterbate but i dont have enoug to one and when i cum it isnt whole and my masterbate is fire.
>>
>>7746885
Where did they go?
>>
>>7746861
>such as consciousness

"we don't know nuffin"

>Integrated information theory

popmath nonsense

>immortality

popsci nonsense

>rocket engine

>>>/diy/
>>
>>7746922
>
"we don't know nuffin"
How is there ,in 19 century?
>popmath nonsense
What? Never heard of this. Are you familiar with Integrated information theory anyhow?
>>>>/diy/
Better then /sci/,but still sucks
>>
Nice b8 ruskie
>>
File: :-^).gif (849KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
:-^).gif
849KB, 300x300px
MEMES
>>
>>7746861
>we discuss really important subjects, such as consciousness, Integrated information theory ,immortality, rocket engine
You had me interested until this part.
>>
math > all your pop sci nonsense
>>
>>7746861
>On Russian imageboard we discuss really important subjects, such as consciousness, Integrated information theory ,immortality, rocket engine
None of these are real science topics you goddamned fanboy retards.
>>
>>7746861
>Why is /sci/ shit
Because we get raided by /pol/ /b/ and /r9k/ constantly.
>>
n i g g e r s
>>
>>7746861
>consciousness
>immortality
>rocket engine
So dvach has degenerated into reddit tier pop sci and cringeworthy pseudo-philosophy crap? I remember when you guys had threads on particle physics and mathematics. What happened? At least I'm glad that /sci/ largely got rid of this cancer. I happily take grade dick waving over underaged "transhumanism" garbage.
>>
>>7747102
It's called cross boarding, everybody does it.
>>
>>7746861
cyka
>>
>>7746922
>>7747093
>>7747095
>>7747099

Posters like these are why this board sucks, pretty much. You have students and people who claim to be teachers, who act arrogant but discuss nothing but homework and the banal details of university life.

I post real science here - like how we can now elongate telomeres, or how electrons are emitted at 42.5N/1m2 when you shoot photons at graphene. Everyone ignores me in favor of calling eachother "cuck,' and debating the EM Drive.

If you want to know why America is failing, look no further than the posts I link to above. It's why every paper I read about graphene has Chinese names on it, and why they're naming bioprinters after Daoist immortals.
>>
>>7747276
Sounds like a Chinese man with how much you focus on the trivial.

Yes most papers on graphene are written by Chinese, it's because they are all second rate researchers who make a career out of split publishing trivial research. Much like you they are latching on to the material because it's popular right now and can give them easy pubs, despite the fact that we know it's real world market is already oversaturated. After all, good ol' Brits discovered the material in the first place.

It just goes to show that hard work is no true substitute for real intelligence and creativity. Which is why Japan is the most successful Asian country both intellectually and in industry despite their higher academic institutions having a notoriously lazy and free culture.

/sci/ has a similar culture to Western academia. Yes most of the posts here are banter and outright trolling because we don't have to pretend we are anything more. This board happens to share it's userbase with sites like stack_ and PF and we know that actual serious questions about math and science belong there or on research gate etc. where it can be archived while more causal and fun discussions can be had here. You are so obsessed with discussing strictly on-topic material here because you are like the Chinese and can't see the bigger picture beyond what's immediately in front of you.
>>
>>7747276

There are possibly 10 people frequenting this board who are cabable of discussion on that level, and they have all got serious science to do instead of spending time screening this mass of shitposts for stuff of value.
>>
>>7747260

>I happily take grade dick waving over underaged "transhumanism" garbage

Because you're upper middle class or downright rich, and know that you'll never actually have to do real science. Your parents will just buy your degree for you, either outright or with their connections to get you a scholarship.

When you go to work for Daddy, or your office job, you want something to brag about. At no point do you try to create a worldview that integrates what you learned - all your facts are seen through green-tinted glasses.

There's a reason Turner moved to Russia - you and the OP showcase the difference in attitude that makes Americans revolting to the rest of the world. The Russians are doing head transplants, and you're defending bragging about gpa - grade point average, not gigapascals, of course.

News story about you;

>http://fortune.com/2015/03/10/american-millennials-are-among-the-worlds-least-skilled/
>>
>>7747293

>Much like you they are latching on to the material because it's popular right now

It's tensile strengh is 130,000Mpa, compared to under 10,000Mpa for steel. It has the highest rate of thermal conduction of any molecole, and can hold 117,000J/mol.

But, of course, you mention popularity - because that's all it's about for you.

>After all, good ol' Brits discovered the material in the first place

Why do you think they were working with it?

>It just goes to show that hard work is no true substitute for real intelligence

If you're going to be a racist, and least bring up IQ scores, or something else quantifiable.

>/sci/ has a similar culture to Western academia

Which is facebook. Most students don't read anything that isn't shoved into their hands - they spend hours memorizing details for tests, and stare at real science (Like papers containing 'trivial' data about graphene, like it's ability to disperse in certain solvents) like it's inane.

>Yes most of the posts here are banter and outright trolling because we don't have to pretend we are anything more

There's nothing here but laymen asking each other banal questions, and students bragging about their grades. That isn't science - it's a highschool-tier popularity contest.
>>
File: 1450320699292.jpg (132KB, 640x469px) Image search: [Google]
1450320699292.jpg
132KB, 640x469px
>>7746861
>what is wrong
Cancerchan is nearing total failure so the redditgagrs there are leaking containment and ending up here.

Cancerchan=eightchan

It's been going on for several weeks now ever since their software developer failed at life and rage quit. Since then the cancer has been filling several boards here, Sci unfortunately being one. No idea why they like this board but my guess is since a lot of them were/are gamergays IE horribly cancerous twitter fags who all think of themselves as pusedo intellectuals.

So yes that is what's going on.
>>
>>7747571
This
>>
>>7747523
>130,000Mpa, compared to under 10,000Mpa for steel.
Because it's a fucking covalent bond, it's not the macroscopic tensile strength. Most polymers have similar """properties""" on their surface scale, even fucking HDPE when you consider a single molecule instead of the whole polymer. You would know this if you knew jack shit about material science, which you don't because you spend all your time reading pop sci articles on meme science.

>But, of course, you mention popularity - because that's all it's about for you.
No, because the best material scientists in the world aren't working with graphene anymore. Even Manchester diversifies its research.

>racist
Typical far left fuckwit. Can't argue for shit and has to cry racist every time to compensate for his lack extensive knowledge of cultures other than his own. Stupid little boxes for stupid little people who think everything can either be anti-Western or racist. I'm talking about the fact their academic system favours grinders working like a horse. A system in which intelligent, independent and creative kids suffer while less intelligent and creative "hard working" kids prosper -thereby gaining advancement and admissions to the best programmes. A system that spawns talentless savants. You'll notice -as I mentioned- how well Japan is doing who doesn't have this system at its tertiary level and they are of similar stock to the Han and even closer SK despite none of them admitting it.

But hey, as long you (almost) beat Finland in the PISA scores your country looks good am I right?
>>
>>7747523
get out of here you cuck
>>
>>7747523

>Which is facebook. Most students don't read anything that isn't shoved into their hands -
Horseshit. Look at the /sci/ textbook threads, for every recommendation a poster will list 2-3 alternatives which he clealy studied on his own. The students here end up studying more than typical forced curricula in the countries I mentioned. Because again intelligent and creative individuals who actually belong in STEM are more autodidactic than their grinder counter parts who only study for tests.

> they spend hours memorizing details for tests,
Yes actually. Key word being hours rather than days. Because tests are trivial hoops that aren't important to long term understand and career. Intelligent people who actually belong in STEM spend most of the semester drinking or reading outside the curricula and only study for the test to get it over with and still come out with As. They don't need to grind all semester long like the "hard working" people who should've been farmers.

>and stare at real science (Like papers containing 'trivial' data about graphene, like it's ability to disperse in certain solvents) like it's inane.
As if you know our publication records. As if you even have one. Fuck off.

>There's nothing here but laymen asking each other banal questions
You obviously only read threads that confirm your bias, but then again you probably avoid all the math heavy threads because you don't understand anything more than pop science. This is not the case at all.
>>
>>7747102
also /d/ constantly bugging us about tentacles and monster girls
also /x/ being bullies
also /lit/ putting in philosophy and meaningless shit like that
also constant reddit raids about popsci memes
also daily threads on medical advice even though >3/4 of /sci/ are mathematics
>>
>>7747323
>all these projections
I'm neither American nor rich. Everything bad you attribute to me are in fact traits of the people I despise so much. It is the "millenials" who fill our board with infantile fantasy and fiction rubbish or inane "speculation" hogwash instead of discussing actually science and math - topics they are obviously too retarded to talk about. Please go back to reddit where you belong.
>>
>>7747612

>it's not the macroscopic tensile strength

>http://m.sciencemag.org/content/349/6252/1083.short
>However, these superior properties have yet to be realized for graphene-derived macroscopic structures such as graphene fibers. We report the fabrication of graphene fibers with high thermal and electrical conductivity and enhanced mechanical strength.

Here's some 1Gpa macroscopic fibers. There's also a company that just filed a patent, and promises 3Dprintable graphene with the mechanical properties of titanium.

>>7747616

>Look at the /sci/ textbook threads

Students sharing books they need for class - which was precisely my accusation.

>As if you know our publication records

No one would know them, because they don't get posted. From the beginning, it's been a joke that /sci/ is just a bunch of failing students - you took it personally because you identified with the accusation.

>As if you even have one. Fuck off.

Here;

>https://washingtonevergreens.wordpress.com

>you probably avoid all the math heavy threads

I admit to needing references to do highschool math, but I can use rocket equations.

>>7747786

Wernher von Braun grew up dreaming about going to space, and so did Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.
>>
>>7747844
>fibers
That's what I said.

We already have fiber additives that are cheaper with superior properties. The difficultly is in making cheap fibres that are cheap to produce in a continuous spinnaret, not making strong fibres, because additives of non-polymeric derived fibres have always been orders stronger. It's an unusable plaything for mediocre researchers.

>Students sharing books they need for class - which was precisely my accusation.
Confirmed for never having read those threads.

>they don't get posted.
Because this isn't an appropriate forum to post it. You would know that if you were actually in academia and don't just limit your your internet activities to 4chan, reddit and whatever shithole you crawled out from.

>https://washingtonevergreens.wordpress.com
This is literally a fucking pop-sci blog with goddamned Star Trek qoute. I'm talking about REAL publications in journals you fucking moron.

You could not be more of a faggot. You are obviously some incompetent reddittor complaining about something you don't understand.

>I admit to needing references to do highschool math, but I can use rocket equations.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fuck off retard. Don't come back.
>>
>>7747276
>I post real science here - like how we can now elongate telomeres, or how electrons are emitted at 42.5N/1m2 when you shoot photons at graphene. Everyone ignores me in favor of calling eachother "cuck,' and debating the EM Drive.
People ignore you because you are still in high-school.
>>
what is the russian board?
>>
>>7747868

>That's what I said

You never mentioned the word 'fiber.'

>The difficultly is in making cheap fibres that are cheap to produce in a continuous spinnaret

Actually;

>http://m.phys.org/news/2015-11-team-large-area-graphene-cheaper.html

>Because this isn't an appropriate forum to post

I've been thinking about moving to physics forums or stack exchange.

>This is literally a fucking pop-sci blog with goddamned Star Trek qoute

It's more than you've presented, and it goes into detail about how DNA/RNA works and how it relates to cell growth and structure. After writing stuff like that, you gain a craving for debating the details. I've spent all year researching for my next post, which describes how graphene can be uses by biology.

>Fuck off retard. Don't come back

I've been coming to /sci/ since it began. I'm not going to leave because one more mouth told me so.

Still waiting for content from you, by the way. Let's see your inspiring papers.
>>
File: oy.gif (690KB, 1445x1451px) Image search: [Google]
oy.gif
690KB, 1445x1451px
Hey Petrov, we won the race.
>>
>>7747264

It's true that there are top-tier boards, in terms of intelligence:

> diy
> lit
> sci

If you crossboard with any other board, you are filth, and should leave /sci/ until you are rehabilitated.
>>
>>7747276
>elongate telomeres
Less mainstream pop-sci memery
>graphene
Less mainstream pop-sci memery

If you want to talk "real science", then it would be discussing papers, or ideas about how to find results and their specific techniques.

Go to warosu and find me your original threads, so we can judge them more accurately
>>
>>7746861
Bro, you have to realize /sci/ is turning into /biz/, no one cares about scientific discovery and knowledge anymore. But rather how they can grab as much cash out of their "STEM" college education.
>>
>>7747948
>lit
>intelligent
>>
>>7747967
>what is an engineer

money/funding is a huge part of actual scientific research, of course, but it's largely only to facilitate research, not the goal of it.
r-right? please be right.
>>
>>7747948
>
what about /g/?
>>
>>7748184
for a board that is termed "technology" it sure lacks discussion about technology

mostly it seems to be about how to change your wallpaper and how to make your desktop look such that you can literally spend all your time looking at how cute it is and maybe write some kiddie tier code that should not exceed one terminal length in your autistic command line editor because your screenshot will not look good otherwise

oh and of course try very hard to win meaningless arguments about programming paradigms that you have no experience with, but feel like regurgitating what some trusted expert somewhere said and if that fails give suggestions about what operating system to install and remind everyone to value freedom
>>
>>7747949

Here's my thread about diamagnetic bonding;

>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S7731632

Maybe someone could answer it?

And here's a post about graphene propulsion;

>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S7738095#p7740212

In this post, I talk about surviving a black hole with graphene;

>https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S7719899#p7720228

Want me to keep going? I don't tend to start threads - I prefer to reply.
>>
>>7748164
If that were the case, our nuclear bombs would not have existed. If it was SOLELY for research, ACTUAL scientific research, as opposed to the goal.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.