[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: naamloos.png (52KB, 655x280px) Image search: [Google]
naamloos.png
52KB, 655x280px
why dont all elements have the three states?

(gas, liquid,solid)
>>
>>7666175
They do, your premise is incorrect.

Next question!
>>
>>7666179
Show me how light is solid
>protip: You can't
>>
>>7666179

Really??
They do??
but i heard that if you cool helium to 0 Kelvin
its liquid!
and could metals vaporize?
could you have iron gas?
>>
>>7666182

is this supposed to be a joke?
>>
>>7666183
0 kelvin is absolute zero, which is believed to be impossible.

>Can metals vaporize
Yes. It's like mercury vapor though. It's much heavier than air and inevitably falls to the floor, if it hasn't already rapidly cooled. It can only be properly observed in a vacuum.
>>
File: helium_phase_diag_helium_eng.png (32KB, 466x392px) Image search: [Google]
helium_phase_diag_helium_eng.png
32KB, 466x392px
>>7666183
Remember, phase is not just a matter of heat, but of heat and pressure. Helium won't form a solid at Earth Atmosphere, but if you pressurize it then it can.

Pressurize something enough and it'll form a solid. Heat something up enough and it'll vaporize. Find a sweet spot and you got a liquid.
>>
>>7666190

that is awesome, although i dont get most of your little graph

could you explain it further?
like what are superfluids and bcc?
>>
>>7666183
>but i heard that if you cool helium to 0 Kelvin its liquid!

At 1 bar of pressure, yes. The boiling and melting points of materials depend on both pressure and temperature, and at 1 bar helium's melting point is so low that it can't actually exist.

Above 25 bar and below 1 K, solid helium exists.

Yes, you can absolutely vaporize metals. Iron boils at 2,862 °C at 1 bar.
>>
File: Phasehe3log.gif (13KB, 439x251px) Image search: [Google]
Phasehe3log.gif
13KB, 439x251px
>>7666193

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z6UJbwxBZI

It's a new state of mater. In fact, superconductors are just conductors where the electrons turned into superfluids
>>
>>7666193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKOlfR5OcB4
>>
>>7666193
Superfluids are a strange state of matter that acts as a fluid with zero viscosity.

Like most materials, helium has several different solid and liquid states that form at different temperatures and pressures. (The phase diagram for water is actually quite complicated; we only encounter three of its states in ordinary life)

What that diagram says is that solid helium normally exists in a hexagonal close pack (hcp) crystal structure, but that in a very narrow temperature and pressure range, it forms a bcc (body-centered cubic) crystal structure instead. These are different ways of packing spherical objects, like helium atoms, into regular lattices.
>>
>>7666193
Superfluids means that the fluid has zero viscosity (i.e. it doesn't have a tendency to stick to itself at all). This causes it to do all kinds of crazy things like climb up walls by unchecked adhesive forces. There are tons of unique states of matter that are exhibited by few elements or molecules, but all elements have Solid, Gas, and (at least I'm 99% sure) Liquid.

BCC and HCC are just ways to describe the kind of crystals it forms (if it crystallizes) at that heat and pressure. I believe BCC is a cube lattice with a central core atom in each and HCC is probably like a Soccer ball or something.
>>
>>7666201
>>7666200
>>7666194

Simply amazing!
>>
thanks /sci/

i love you guys :)
>>
>>7666196
that whole documentary is good af. i watched it years ago
>>
so absolutely zero is the cold end... is there an absolute end for how hot something can be? or can matter just continue to become infinitely hot?
>>
>>7666220

Temperature is defined as 1/T=∂S/∂U so it has no problem being ±∞
>>
>>7666220
Heat is a measure of how fast something is jostling around. Or rather how much energy is represented by its jostling around. So answering that question is a subject for general relativity and I'm not too familiar with it.

Either way there's no practical upper bound. Absolute zero means that the molecules are absolutely still. Even though this is not entirely possible, it is possible to get very very close. So the value of Kelvin is very relevant. But jostling a substantial mass of particles around at near the speed of light is a task that only supernovas could perform.
>>
>>7666220
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_hot
>>
>>7666230
>general relativity

>>>/out/
>>
>>7666182
>light is an element
>>
>>7666188
Jesus you're retarded
>>
>>7666183
Look up metallized paper manufacturing
>>
So, probably a stupid question from a stupid person but isn't there four states of matter?
>Solid
>Liquid
>Gas
>Plasma
>>
>>7667343
There's many more than that.
>>
>>7667343

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_of_matter
>>
>>7666201
What about astitine?
>>
>>7666217
What's it called?
>>
>>7667368
>Astatine
>Melting point: 575 K
>Boiling point: 610 K
What about it?
>>
>>7666182
I love the bait on this board. I really do.
>>
>>7666182
ah yes, light, the lightest of the elements. Who can forget it? In fact, they removed it from the periodic table (from its position to the left of Hydrogen) because the knowledge of light's light-ness is just so trivial.
>>
>>7666200
disregarding the fact we're talking about solitary elements, could glass be considered a superfluid? I've heard that glass has a viscosity, just very slow (I think very old cathedrals' windows are slightly thicker towards the bottom). How can a fluid with *zero* viscosity be considered a fluid? Is that not a pre-requisite to being classified as a fluid?
>>
>>7669473
>I've heard that glass has a viscosity, just very slow (I think very old cathedrals' windows are slightly thicker towards the bottom)
When will this die? Old windows are thicker on the bottom because they were made that way.
Before float-glass, other shitty methods were used that resulted in uneven thickness.

Besides, if glass flows a perceptible amount over the span of just a few centuries, then ancient glassworks would be unrecognizable puddles by now.
>>
>>7669473
>I've heard that glass has a viscosity, just very slow (I think very old cathedrals' windows are slightly thicker towards the bottom).

That's an urban myth. Glass doesn't flow. Old windows are often thicker at the bottom because old glassmakers couldn't make panes of perfectly uniform thickness, and structurally or masks more sense to poor the heavier end at the bottom. But there are also old windows with the thick end at the top or on the side.
>>
>>7666230
>Absolute zero means that the molecules are absolutely still.
But that's wrong you fucking idiot.
>>
>>7669690
I'm just scrolling by and happened to see this post.

Why ya gotta be such a dick anon? Just correct em' if they're wrong, and move on with your life. You're making yourself miserable.
>>
File: 652365.jpg (11KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
652365.jpg
11KB, 210x240px
>>7666175
the elements do have all three states

>Water & Earth: Fire
>>
>>7666175
OP is right
have you ever seen solid gas or liquid plasma?
wake up sheepies
>>
>>7669491
>>7669493
okay, point taken glass does not flow. my second question still stands, is some viscosity > 0 a requirement for something to be classified a fluid? Could you expand on the zero-viscosity notion?
>>
>>7667359

>Examples are shaving foam and butter.

FUCKING. DROPPED.
>>
>>7666175

You forgot plasma.
>>
>>7666190
what about plasma?
>>
>>7671882
Doesn't really fit into the phase diagram as it's not so much a matter of heat and pressure but of energy (which is often heat but not always). It IS considered one of the four fundamental states of matter (because in most meaningful ways it is), but it's also pretty unique among them in its differences.
>>
File: You tried.png (17KB, 893x544px) Image search: [Google]
You tried.png
17KB, 893x544px
>>7670717
Did you even read the page on it?

Side note: Are your parents siblings or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>7666211

aw, we did a good thing today.
>>
>>7668888
checked.
>>
>>7666182
Lava faggot, you never saw lava? Lava is liquid light.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.