[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /sci/ think of common core?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: 1446667486686.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446667486686.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
What does /sci/ think of common core?
>>
gives me autism every time i see one of those pictures
>>
Good intentions, retarded execution. Yes we should teach kids to think and abstract with maths, not only crunch numbers. But teaching kids to abstract arithmetic ina different way is fucking retarded when the problem is with the curriculum itself.

Stop with this pragmatic obsession of mathematics and start showing what mathematicians actually do. Make mathematics an enjoyable and engaging class with basic proofs, challenges, interesting theorems and a constructivist approach to math. Literally start with the Greeks and go building many subjects until calculus.
>>
>>7637876
Fine, Wildburger
>>
>>7637853
>gives me autism every time i see one of those pictures
cherry picking
>>
>>7637792
Its bullshit, let kids develop and use whatever method of mental maths that gives THEM the correct answer quickest.
>>
>>7637792
2,) should be correct, you have to walk before you can fly, x before y.
>>
>>7637792
Pic seems to be more of a case of the teacher being a pedantic retard not directly a result of commom core.

I don't have an opinion on it.
>>
>>>/pol/55022011
>>
>>7638054
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>7637792
don't like common core (I live in France, not in USA)

at school, teacher tells me "minus 1" doesn't exists, then I've learned it exists

at school, the teacher asked me to draw a triangle ABC where AB=2, BC=4, CA=6,
so I draw a line segment "because 2+4=6"
the teacher disagree "2+4=6 doesn't implies A, B, C are on the same line"

I've got several other examples like this ones
>>
>>7638109
butthurt frenchie can't even draw a triangle ?
>>
>>7638121
what??
in fact, I think I was true drawing A, B, C in the same line... what is wrong with what I did?
>>
>>7637792
Wait, is that actually the specifically correct way to multiply?
>>
>>7638133
It's asking for five 3s, not three 5s.

This is how it is read. I don't understand why this pic is shared so much.
>>
>>7638126
>teacher asked me to draw a triangle

>>7638187
>It's asking for five 3s, not three 5s.
>5 x 3
i want 5. how many? 3. 3 fives.
read it however you want you schmuck
>>
>>7638222
Enjoy your red correction notes, dunce.
>>
>>7637792
makes me think it's an overblown/ made up /sci/ meme since i dont remember ever doing anything that retarded.
>>
>>7638187
It's teaching children that there is a difference between both ways, i.e. that commutativity isn't a thing. There's no reason to not get the basics right the first time, and many reasons why instilling false ideas is terrible.
>>
>>7638121
In fact, I just think my teacher is retarded
>>
>>7638332
When I was a kid it always was taught
>A times B
So B, A number of times.

You can switch it around and get the same outcome, but that still makes it a different equation. This doesn't matter when the only thing you need is the answer. It does matter when how you got there is also required.
>>
>>7637792
when I learned addition and multiplications at school, on add/mult tables, I had to put a fucking arrow that shows "it's 6*4 and no 4*6"... like if it wasn't commutative, and some other silly things

but op's exemple is even worse, proving the common core's stupidity
>>
autism

the vast majority of chillums will have utterly no use for abstractions like this, it's like if /sci/ were in charge of education
>>
>>7638483
Why are you here?
>>
>>7637892
Not really, how many kids at highschool get statistics becasue "its useful in life". Later on they will forget nearly everything they saw because statistics requires more than a shitty one year course. I mean, go with any adult and ask them to optimize their fence space with basic calculus and they will be perplexed with the task. Basically, we are obsessed into convincing kids that math is useful so you should learn it while in the real world it may not be precisely that. Yes, everyone should know basic arithmetic, geomtry, stats and some algebra for day to day tasks. I mean, knowing how a percentage works is fucking required in today's work, butif we mix it with logs, boring trigonometry classes and pointless calculus, most people will end up giving up math in general and leave 25% tips.

If we create a math culture were people appreciate the complexity and depth of math and also its beauty, more people will tend to learn interesting things about math and embrace the subject.
>>
>>7637792
>Taught you should read things left to right
>Read the problem left to right
>Get told that's wrong
>>
>>7637876
>Good intentions
No the intentions are evil, just like every other leftist agenda of the last 100 years
This is 100% political, made around closing the achievement gaps for blacks by having a stupid cirriculum.
>>
Is common core good for a beginner? I want to fix my maths problems :/
>>
>>7638542
We are talking about math, not how they implemented anita sarkeazian in the textbooks.
>>
>>7638496
no, seriously, you were right.

I'm relearning trig with tau and loving to put the pi in its place. The geometric sense of "hmm, 7/12 tau is a bit over another half-turn" makes so much sense I would kiss the guy who thought it if I could.
>>
>>7638556
Wot
>>
>>7638559
no, really. like all my life that stupid thing was there deliberately knocking my interest off trig because of its sheer stupidity of counting half circles instead of full ones.

now I can tell pi to fuck the hell off. i think in tau and that feels good.
>>
>>7637792
I honestly hate seeing this picture. In matrix algebra, matrices are written: number of rows X number of columns. Technically, the student did answer number two incorrectly.
>>
>>7638575
Tau is only 2pi, it's the fucking same, what are you rambling about?
>>
>>7638579
ok dude, keep on fighting the obvious.

Say, 17/31 tau radians is located in which quadrant?

Now 17/31 pi radians? Can you see it in your mind? Now I can, because of tau. And it feels good.
>>
>>7638588
>now 17/31 pi radians
no: now 34/31 pi radians

both are easy
>>
>>7638606
but with tau is easier to imagine than half of it, that's the point. whole circles, half circles, one notation.

if you've already doctrined with pi I understand your stubborness, it's kinda natural, even PhDs react childishly when a stone 'truth' they memorized eons ago is 'attacked', i saw and surprised myself with the fact.

say, do you count miles in halves too? after all it's just a factor of two, right? only imbeciles have trouble with that, right? they should quit the damn thing altogether...

nope, I'm gonna push forward until one of you loonies try to stop me with your stuttering discourses of "you should quit because your dumb" and then i'll trample the fucking out of you with taus
>>
>>7638670
yes, I agree with tau most of the time (for example cos, fourier"s transform, .......)
I just didn't feel it easier to use tau in this single exemple
>>
>>7638670
It is still pointless to the topic. Tau vs pi is irrelevant.
>>
>>7638698
apples and oranges. I like the way of thinking, can convert to pi if needed but the geometrical insight is brilliant. I mean really, why didn't Euler thought it first?
>>7638703
I thought we were talking about stupid ways of teaching basic skils? I think trig was stupid and completely absurd before I learnt the tau thing.

Then I got interested in that again, I ws about to give up to rote memorization but now it clicks, you know? I think it is a good thing. In the tau for trig site at least a teacher got some nice results too, nothing extremely successful but useful.
>>
>>7638708
Well is the fact that you got "interested" in trig by such a meaningless concept. Im talking abour changing the whole curriculum into a more historical and constructivist math. Nort just changing Tau to pi or that shit to other shit etc. That's what common core is doing which I find retarded.

Even if today you say oooo this was much lore easier than what my teacher told me, people who learn this easier methods still wil suffer evry single math class they are in.
>>
>>7638542
What's it like to be retarded?
>>
The correct way to make the first question is: Use thw repeated addition strategy to solve: 5x3 and 3x5.

That way you make sure the kid learns the difference.

The second one is just stupid, it depends on how you read it.
>>
>>7638109
Those numbers for a triangle are retarded. You are right. Sleep tight.
>>
File: 1444452276554.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1444452276554.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
>>7637876
>elementary school kids who already hate math
>most will never go to college
>make math even more useless and less relevant to their lives
They would be better off teaching kids calculations relevant to their everyday lives so that they enjoy math and appreciate its useful qualities, making them want to study it more. Have them apply what they learn to calculating damage for pokemon cards, or whatever the hell kids that age do for fun these days.
>>
>>7638021
r x c. there should be 4 rows and 3 columns.

I think this is a syntactical issue more than anything. If you're teaching kids the order of the multiplication doesn't matter, then they aren't understanding the underlying concept of how multiplication actually. Essentially if I have x and I multiply by y, then the notion of a dimension has been added. I have x and each x has y.

Ultimately the reason why it's fundamental and important is because multiplication is used in highly technical fields, ones that can't afford confusing x and y. If we have a common exam testing the underlying concepts only a small percent will be correct and those are the ones qualified to do the job.
>>
>>7638045
But if you're doing math and you must do it the way they taught you, then that kid got those problems wrong. Happened to me when i was in school and that was before common core.
>>
>>7637792
I found with math in school that it never grabbed my attention. I think it should be at least a quarter history of whatever math you are learning. Like with geometry. If they had given a little backround to the greeks and why and how they originated their formulas. I would have been waaay more engaged. Also, making people show work is fucking dumb. Let the ones who need to show work do it. And leave the ones who don't alone.
>>
>>7638722
That's the real problem, you see? You judge the damn thing that eases the learning as irrelevant and meaningless despite of having usefulness.

I'm learning through tau, it opened my interest and bashing the "you will suffer later because everybody uses pi" is just not true.

These people pushing the common core may be trying to ease by dumbing down so much that we look at it and cannot think anything but "that's stupid, I learned it and it it easy"

That's just subbornness. I'm not seeing anybody in this thread giving better ways to put a smarter way than the old method they want to bury under this mocking of a teaching method.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.