[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long does it take to get good at drawing? I'm too shallow

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: 1483439832292.jpg (71KB, 442x304px) Image search: [Google]
1483439832292.jpg
71KB, 442x304px
How long does it take to get good at drawing?
I'm too shallow to write actual stories but my opinions on art styles and aesthetics are always correct
If I became a Lead Art Director somewhere I could make your games better in the future

Also recommend ways to get started or good tablets please
>>
>>38901451
>How long does it take to get good at drawing?
10+ years
should have started when you were 12
>>
>>38901585
a lot of people "started at 12" or whatever but they didn't do it all the time, they only dabbled in it on and off.
from what I've seen online you can produce decent work in 3-4 years, it's not like I never drew anything before
>>
File: 20170717_003818~2.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_003818~2.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>38901451
I recommend that you take copious amounts of time out of your days, and dedicate them to drawing; you should start with using other artists' works as reference, and drawing from observation (your hand, people, scenery, etc.) It'll take some time before you develope your own distinct art style, maybe are year or two, it depends on how much time you dedicate to practice. As for the drawing pad, I can't recommend one, as I prefer drawing analog.
Best of wishes in your endeavors artfag.
>>
>>38901738
>Best of wishes in your endeavors artfag.
Thanks for your reply. You must excuse my youthful rashness and arrogance but I want to channel that energy while I'm still dumb.
>>
File: 1495699450906.jpg (46KB, 344x294px) Image search: [Google]
1495699450906.jpg
46KB, 344x294px
>>38901776
It won't happen overnight, and you'll probably go through some sort of deviantart stage. A little bit of patience goes a long ways.
>>
>>38901899
>A little bit of patience goes a long ways
true that's going to be the big problem
>>
>>>/ic/
has all your answers and more
>>
>>38901685
>3-4 years

2 years TOPS if you do it the RIGHT way you fucking faggots. But no one ever does it the right way, it requires you to not be autistic/adhd about it.

People who are really good are drawing 100+ pictures a day, not like the cucks on 4chan who do maybe 1 drawing a week. If you draw 1 picture a week for 4 years, no fucking wonder it is taking you so long, and no wonder your art is still shit.

Draw 100 pictures a day, of the SAME thing. Don't move onto the next thing till you get good. If you can't draw the basics after 2 weeks you need to give up.

I did 1,000 drawings a day for 2 weeks and mastered the fundamentals.
>>
>>38903304
I believe you, thanks for your input

>it requires you to not be autistic/adhd about it
I hope I can do it
>>
>>38903376
nah you wont do it.
>>
years to be good at it. in school you should of taken classes.
>>
>>38901451
its a luxery for afluent poeple. poeple who have had coddled lifestyles. like this guy >>38903304.
>>
>>38903506
Not >>38903304 here, but I just draw on printer paper and boxes, whatever I can get my hands on.
>>
>>38901451
>my opinions on art styles and aesthetics are always correct

Yeah, you and every other fucktard with an opinion on the internet.
>>
>>38901451
>tfw great storyteller
>completely shit at drawing

Guess I'll just stick to writing
>>
why is it that drawing is the hardest skill? Everything else you can learn in like a couple months, but drawing is like, "lol gotta waste your whole life on it"
>>
>>38904393
why is it that music is the hardest skill? Everything else you can learn in like a couple months, but music is like, "lol gotta waste your whole life on it"
>>
>>38904476
nope. any jackass can pick up a trumpet or a guitar and be playing a song by the end of the night.
>>
File: received_10203530077088419.png (74KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
received_10203530077088419.png
74KB, 300x300px
Thread was good while it lasted, cya artfag.
Remember: Do it your way, whatever works for (You). There is no such thing as a true standard.
Keep it up and you'll be where (You) want to.
>>
>>38904497
Any jackass can pick up a pencil and draw a picture by the end of the night, too.
>>
>>38904535
Not if he has no fingers.
>>
>>38901451

Legit advice here. & really long explanation but it's all true to my knowledge.

I hate to tell you this but I would think drawing is 70% talent. I have a little bit of schizophrenic genes and genius-level visual-spatial ability, perfect pitch despite not having touched music, I can write in mirror image as fast as I can normally. I can do all these despite not practicing much. If you look at the history of the world's best artists/musicians/creative people etc. they're ALL invariably a bit off mentally. Tons of research has been done on this; linking schizophrenia/autism genes to creativity/visual-spatial/musical intelligence. Look it up if you want to know more.

I always believed from personal experience that there's two 'ways' of drawing. Drawing from your hand-eye, & drawing from your brain. I don't think you can train the latter, it's genetic. You can't change the way someone's brain works; some people just see more than others. Like how an able-sighted person can see with greater clarity than a myopic person, my schizophrenic brain literally enables me to see more connections and spot visual patterns.

With that said, you CAN train the former. Hand-eye coordination; making your hand do what your brain sees. I've known people go from 'totally can't draw at all' to drawing photorealistic people in 3-4 years, albeit with consistent practice. If you want to get started, pick up a pen and paper and just start drawing anything, but it must be FROM REALITY, not a photograph or picture on a screen. In doing so you're strengthening the connection between the eye to brain, brain to hand; because in real life you have to mentally work out the object's 'true appearance', 'true color', 'true form'. Like you know the stupid picture about the blue/white/gold/black dress? That will never happen in real life; in real life the images you see are 'closer to reality' and thus when you practice from real life it trains your brain and eye way more effectively. (con't.)
>>
>>38901451
>>38905206

(con't.)

I strongly recommend pen & paper for a while before you go on to using a tablet. If you jump to tablet straight it's like learning to drive a F1 racecar straight after you get your license.

With that said, if you want to get a tablet the best tablet is Wacom Intuos Pro series (get medium, if not large. but not small) : http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-pro

Don't get the cheaper bamboo series, those don't have the same pressure sensitivity, you might as well draw with your mouse. The whole point of a tablet is the pressure sensitivity option which emulates painting & ink.
>>
File: Sweaty Pepe.jpg (33KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
Sweaty Pepe.jpg
33KB, 480x454px
>>38905206
>Autisim
Th-this can't be why I like drawing so much, r-right?
>>
File: IMG_5768.jpg (56KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5768.jpg
56KB, 641x530px
4-5 years if you are actively trying, maybe less if you were born with """""talent""""""
>but my opinions on art styles and aesthetics are always correct
Protip: No they actually aren't
>If I became a Lead Art Director somewhere I could make your games better in the future
You and a million other people who will do the same job for less, who unlike you, will be able to write good narratives
>Also recommend ways to get started or good tablets please
Pen and Paper, Loomis, Drawing With Right Side, etc etc. Buy a cheap chink drawing tablet so you don't waste too much money when you inevitably give up next week
>>
>>38901451
>my opinion on art is always correct
Uh huh...
>>
>>38901451
I just found a tablet at a garage sale for 10 dollars last week (wacom bamboo cth-460), right off the bat i found it really hard to draw without looking down and the pressure sensitivity was a bit weird, had to press harder than i thought to get solid lines but if you happen to see one it's nice at least for me as i don't really draw but i'd like to.
not very certain about my skill level (i can't recall the last time i finished a drawing, probably when i was a kid 10 years ago) but i was just messing around in photoshop to set a benchmark for the pen and my drawing i guess (pic related)
If anyone has recommendations for photoshop settings (like seeing the small cursor better, etc.) and just drawing tips in general please help.
sorry for the edgy pic i just sort of developed into this after i made the face expression first, made me think of long nights studying before finals last winter
>>
>>38906496
>>>/ic/

Don't be intimidated, start with the basics and practice every day. If you want to draw, if you want to get better, you will draw and you will get better.
>>
>>38901685
this. most people don't take it very seriously when they start drawing in their youth/teens. doing it casually is good though because that's when you know you truly enjoy doing something.
>>
>>38906584
oh, thank you, i forgot we had a critique board (inb4 newfriend)
i'll try to practice after work to help me sleep, idk if there is an optimal file format to save in so i just make a 1500x1500 canvas and keep the .psd file
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.