[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

***Christian General Thread***

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 24

File: cross.png (6KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cross.png
6KB, 600x600px
>What is the gospel?
The gospel is the message that Jesus Christ, although existed in the very form of God, did not consider that equality something to be held onto and chose to leave that heavenly place, enter into his own creation and die for the sins of his people. But guess what he rose on the third day because death could not hold it's grip on the blessed son of God and when you are resurrected on the day of judgement the same spirit that raised Christ from the dead will also be the same spirit that raised you on the last day.

>How to enter heaven
One enters into heaven through faith alone, for Christ had already died for our sins and so what could we possibly add on to that? Are we to say that the blood of Christ is not sufficient and we are to add onto that? No, his blood cleansed us of sin and to be cleansed of your sins you first must believe and Christ will do the rest.

I invite Christians, agnostics, atheists and everything in between, that includes people of other faith, to discuss Christianity and learn more about the largest religion in the world. God bless! I the past I have tried to appeal to non-believers by kinda white washing but now, none of that but also be prepared because you might not get the answers you like although they might be true. I have also created a discord server which is mainly for Christians and non-believers looking for a discussion. It's not really meant for discussion, but if you do cause trouble, you will be removed from the server.
>.gg/AyQfdQW

Thread: XXII

Cont of: >>37051949
>>
If you have hope that someone loves each and every one of us and wants us to be happy, this is not the board for you.
>>
>>37086523
That's why I'm here. To let the people of 4chan know that they are loved!
>>
I think we need a religion board to contain this shit now. It spilled over /pol/ and now here
>>
>>37086589
I would enjoy that too. Is there a way to convince the mods of creating a religion board?
>>
Why would anyone believe that the supposed God who created this prison of flesh is on our side?
>>
>>37086468
Why is god so egoistic?
>>
>>37087353
Well, if you come at it from a deistic viewpoint then yeah, you're right. How can we know? But in Christianity, we are given reason to think so. God says that he desires all men to be saved.

>This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
1 Timothy 2:4

And because of this, we can know that God loves us assuredly.

>>37087398
How so? God creates things and it is for his purpose.
>>
>>37087510
>God says that he desires all men to be saved.
Why assume that God is not lying?
Isn't a pacified prisoner the easiest to handle?
>>
>>37087534
>Why assume that God is not lying?
Why would you or why would you want to assume that?
>>
>>37087510
>How so? God creates things and it is for his purpose.
That's what I mean, though. God does things at His whim. He tasks us to do things that please Him, for causes He specifies. He is a complete egoist.

If he can be egoistic, why can't I?
>>
>>37087790
>If he can be egoistic, why can't I?
He has the right to. He created you and did so for a purpose. You are in no position to be egotistical since you have not created something for your own glory. Even if you did it would be most likely "souly" selfish since it is the please yourself. But my doing god's work he also gives us a reward that is far much greater than what we deserve.
>>
>>37086468
>Are we to say that the blood of Christ is not sufficient and we are to add onto that? No, his blood cleansed us of sin and to be cleansed of your sins you first must believe and Christ will do the rest.
Actually jesus said that his followers would do greater works than him, from an actual christian point of view assuming that just because jesus died for our sins that we're all suddenly saved and don't need to do anything is selfish, you should always look to devote yourself, spread gods word and help those in need
>>
>>37088134
Yes, but we do it out of faith. The faith we have in Christ is what motivates us to do these good works and that faith, which stands alone, is the faith that saves.

Also, you might wanna read this. >>36748148
>>
File: wp_ss_20170517_0001.png (348KB, 768x592px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170517_0001.png
348KB, 768x592px
What about this pic, anon
Ooo
>>
>>37088372
The spiderman comic doesn't claim to be true. It even says it's fictional and comes from an animated world. Also, most atheist that use this as an argument doesn't know at all why we believe. For me it wasn't just, oh the bible said it so I believe. I actually looked into things and found it out to be true!
>>
This alt right roleplaying is getting out of control.
>>
>>37088464
>alt right roleplaying
Uhhh, how so?
>>
>>37088543
Cmon man no one is uninorincly Christian in 2017. People just spread it to get people to vote for right wing politicians
>>
>>37089768
I know. True Christians in this day and age are rare but guess what. I'm one of them. Also, the church is dying. You've seen the stats right. Islam is coming and is going to be the largest religion in the world. We are going to go back to the times when on 7000 people in the world didn't bow the knee to baal. In fact, I believe that it has already happened. With people such as Joel Osteen preaching a perverted gospel and making it more man centred as opposed to a God centred book shows that we are not heading towards the right direction. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if Joel Osteen didn't also preach in the largest megachurch in the US!
>>
>>37088464
>>37089768
There's plenty of actual Christians.
>>37089893
Islam grows because of the high birth rate of Muslim women. Christianity still gets more converts.
>>
>>37086583
What happened to christfag from a few years back? The guy who posted with that little :3 avatar? I miss that fucking guy.
>>
>>37088134

Yes, this is true.
The most intuitive interpretation is correct.
Heaven is a reward for both having faith and acting moral on earth.
What Christ's death achieve was wiping away our original sin and extending to us the oppurtunity to be saved through faith and works.

The idea that we are saved by faith alone is a very recent one, only ever gaining acceptence hundreds of years after the death and resurrection of Christ.

If you are going to become Christian, or you are thinking of becoming Christian, do it the right way. Accept the Church and her sacrements
>>
>>37089893

That's the problem with having the bible as the only authority.
Anyone can just come along and interpret it any way they like.

These offshoots of Christianity will come and go. But fortunately, the one Church established by Jesus himself, and led by the successors of St Peter will stand forever
>>
File: e3Da3Vm.jpg (121KB, 458x596px) Image search: [Google]
e3Da3Vm.jpg
121KB, 458x596px
How can Jesus be the Messiah when he was not the son of David?

Surely since Mary was a virgin, so Joseph who was supposedly of a Davidic lineage was not his father.
>>
>>37086468
>One enters into heaven through faith alone, for Christ had already died for our sins and so what could we possibly add on to that? Are we to say that the blood of Christ is not sufficient and we are to add onto that? No, his blood cleansed us of sin and to be cleansed of your sins you first must believe and Christ will do the rest.

And this is where your beliefs diverge from the self-proclaimed "Christian" majority. To most Christians, forceful abstinence from sinful behavior - paired with persecuting practically every minority in existence - is the only true and proper way to enter the kingdom of heaven. Because humans are apparently capable of abstaining from sin after all, and that whole crucifixion thing was completely unnecessary!
>>
>>37090058
Whom is this christfag you speak of?

>>37090148
>Anyone can just come along and interpret it any way they like.
But the true church will last. The reformation needed to happen. It was inevitable. What the catholic priest was doing was sinful and abominable to god and so god brings forth a reformation to reform the church back to its original ways.

>>37090061
I get what you're saying but read this: >>36748148
>>
>>37090193
He was related to King David legally since Joseph was Jesus' legal father and so he was legally related to Christ.
>>
>>37090226
>forceful abstinence from sinful behaviour
These are fruits of faith. We aren't trying to get anything out of God since we know that our reward has been set but believe and do good works out of love and devotion to Christ. read: >>36748148
>>
>>37090019
>Islam grows because of the high birth rate of Muslim women. Christianity still gets more converts.
Is this true though? I mean even if they have high birth rates that still doesn't mean it is the reason why they're growing so fast. I mean don't Mormons also have high birth rates?
>>
>>37090230

Saying that we are justified by our faith, and that faith is dead without works just seems like a roundabout way of saying both faith and works are necessary for salvation.
Unless you believe that it is possible to he evil an immoral and still get to heaven just by saying you believe. But that would be rediculous. You can't have faith without works, you can't do works without faith, so faith and works go hand in hand for salvation. It's logical.
>>
>get out of this board for a while
>there are now christian generals
what the fuck
>>
>>37090361
>Saying that we are justified by our faith, and that faith is dead without works just seems like a roundabout way of saying both faith and works are necessary for salvation.
Not necessary but evidence of our salvation. One could go about his entire life killing and murder, but if he is justified and considered righteous before God, then he will attain eternal life. But do you know why he doesn't? It's because he is filled with the Holy Spirit which convicts him and through sanctification is gradually being changed by Christ. You see we reformed Baptist have peace with God since we know where we are going and we do our good works out of love and not fear of eternal damnation.

>Sola Fide!
>>
>>37090437
Haha, thank for joining. If there are any questions, you would like answered then feel free to ask, and I will answer to the best of my abilities God willing!
>>
>>37087898
>He has the right to.
According to whom?
>>
>>37090487
fuck off back to /pol/
surprisingly not original
>>
Oh, OP.
I talked to you before.

You are some weird calvinist that believes strange heretical things like humans have no free will, and God creates some people with the sole intention of sending them to hell.
That contradicts the scripture and the church fathers.

Hopefully, you will see the light and come back to true Christianity.
>>
>>37090554
According to the fact that he created all things and for his purpose! He created you!

>But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.
Isaiah 64:8

>>37090565
Sorry, you feel this way.
>>
>>37090652
>You are some weird Calvinist
I try not to call myself a Calvinist since I want Christ to be the centre of my "Christ"ianity. The think about Calvinism is that although I do believe in the 5 points of "TULIP", I wouldn't call myself a Calvinist since I disagree with some other stuff John Calvin has said. All grace should go to God and not one man!

>That contradicts the scripture and the church fathers.
Sorry, you think so. Perhaps we can discuss and come to a sound conclusion.

>Hopefully, you will see the light and come back to true Christianity.
And I say the same right back to you God willing.
>>
>>37090673
>According to the fact that he created all things and for his purpose! He created you!

If this is the case, then His egoism existed before He created us. So, I don't think that answers the question.

Why is He allowed to be an egoist?
>>
>>37090247
>legally Jesus' father

Really dude, is that answer satisfactory to you?

The old Testament states that Jesus is to be a son of David. Jesus was not Joseph's son, so therefore Jesus could not have been the messiah. It did not say that the messiah's legal guardian was to be a son of David

A
>>
>>37090758
>Why is He allowed to be an egoist?
Ok, first off let's understand something. God has the right to want glory. He created all things for his purpose, and so it isn't wrong for him to then seek praise and worship. You may define it as egotistical but let's say that you made food. Would it be egotistical for you to eat that food? You made it prepared it and put it on the table, but for what reason? For your own personal enjoyment. Is this wrong or egotistical that you are preparing something souly for your own benefit or is that thing created for a purpose and is used as such? Same goes for humans. We are a creation of God and made for his purpose, and if you read the potter clay verse you will see that in fact we were created and for a purpose and that was to glorify God!.
>>
>>37090772
>Really dude, is that answer satisfactory to you?
Yes, nowhere in the New Testament is Mary's genealogy recorded so one might want to assume that in fact it Mary was related to Christ. If you look at what arguments were made of Jesus during the early days of the church IE first century. They had to do with multiple things, but they never used the argument of his lineage to demote his messiahship. Most likely he was related to David through Mary. And also, you can gain the heritage from your adopted father, and it is also alluded to in the Bible.
>>
Shameless self bump but in an original way.
>>
ChristAnon, what are your thoughts on buddhism? If you know anything about it.
>>
>>37092002
I know nothing about it but do you know anything about it? I can speak on it if I can ask you this one question.
>>
>>37092062
Very few things and i might be wrong but let me see
-We suffer because of our earthly desires.
-In order not to suffer we have to release ourselves from them, through meditation, goodness, prayer, etc.
-People reincarnate and try to clean their souls in every new life.
-The objective is to purify ourselves and achieve Nirvana (paradise). Nirvana is seen as a state of nothingness, in a sense, we are trying to dissapear in peace.
>>
>>37092083
Haha, thanks for joining. If there are any questions, you would like answered then feel free to ask, and I will answer to the best of my abilities, this comment is officially not original.
>>
>>37092103
>The objective is to purify ourselves and achieve Nirvana
Yeah, as a Christian this is where I would have to disagree. We as Christians believe that we do nothing to please ourselves. Everything we do is for the glory of God, and so when we preach, praise God in church or do good works for our Lord, it is to exalt him and his mighty name. But it doesn't stop there, even in heaven we will carry on doing good works, we will continue exalting God and humbling ourselves to him. You see when God created us he created us for "his" purpose and to do "his" will.

>But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.
Isaiah 64:8

And a true believer rejoices in this and has a sincere desire to please God! In fact, a true believer doesn't even value his own life over that of God. We love God more than our friend, our birthers, our mothers and ourselves!

>However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.
Acts 20:24

That is the true meaning of life, to fulfil the desire of our Creator!
>>
Does anybody actually, legitimately believe in God? Do any of you honestly, from the bottom of your heart, believe that;

In the beginning there was nothing - but in this nothingness existed a complex, omnipotent entity that expressed human emotions, could simply will things into existence and has simply always existed. Then one day he got bored so he made the universe and starts and planets and the seas and plants and animals and shit, and then made smaller and less powerful versions of himself. Then a talking snake tricked a woman into eating forbidden knowledge and suddenly they were no longer immortal, and God got very angry at them despite the fact he must've seen it coming since he's omniscient. Then people only lived for 900+ years instead of forever. He suddenly developed a taste for blood and demanded foreskin and animal sacrifices. Then he saw that people were putting their peepees in the wrong place so he slaughtered all of them in a hail of fire, and also killed Lot's wife for looking back at this event for good measure. And one day God was like "Wow, I really fucked up with this whole human thing. I think I'll just genocide the entire planet", so he told an old drunkard carpenter to build a 500 foot long boat that held over 10,000 animals. He also sent demonic plagues on Egypt, including killing little children so everybody in the future knows not to piss him off. Ree I am god please worship me, follow my stupid abritrary rules and kill people to sate my narcissism/bloodthirst etc.

It reads exactly like something a bronze age sand person would write. How can any of you even begin to wrap your heads around this shit?
>>
>>37092626
>Does anybody actually, legitimately believe in God? Do any of you honestly, from the bottom of your heart, believe that.
Yes, and there are things you got quite wrong in that post and other things you got right bu mocked, which I in fact delight in. All in all, if there are any questions, you would like answered then feel free to ask, and I will answer to the best of my abilities.
>>
>>37092718
Explain what I got wrong. Why do you believe the bible when there is absolutely no historical evidence to support it? Or the fact that nobody wrote about desert Jim Jones until 100 years after he died? What makes you truly believe that your religion is correct in the face of absolutely no evidence and thousands of other religions all claiming that their god is the right one?
>>
>>37092802
>Explain what I got wrong.
Will do so.

>Why do you believe the bible when there is absolutely no historical evidence to support it?
There is. In fact tonnes and some outside of the bible.

>Or the fact that nobody wrote about desert Jim Jones until 100 years after he died?
Wrong. 1 Corinthians was written by Paul himself. It is dated to the year 50, 20 years after Christ death, and even quotes earlier him that some say dates to about five years after Christ's death.

>What makes you truly believe that your religion is correct in the face of absolutely no evidence and thousands of other religions all claiming that their god is the right one?
That's the thing; there are evidence and a lot!
>>
>>37092900
Provide some of this evidence. Biblical sources are not evidence. The fact that no (highly detailed) roman reports of that time period mention anything about Jesus or his supposed miracles is telling. Tacitus only very briefly mentioned that a man loosely fitting the description was crucified, decades after it happened.
>>
>>37092802
keep in mind that a significant number of archaeological sites existed only in the bible before they were discovered. additionally, there are biblical relics such as the cyrus cylinder and the steles.

these aren't comprehensive- prehistory in general is full of informational gaps- and these aren't direct proofs of god, which are generally not forthcoming, "lest having believed, they should be saved".

translation note: the word translated "lest" can also mean "until".
>>
>>37093052
There are small pieces of information that are true. That doesn't somehow negate that all of the major events of the bible - the fall of man, the flood, the plagues, parting the sea and subsequent massacre of the Egyptian army, the miracles of Jesus and such - have absolutely no supporting evidence.
>>
>>37093040
>Provide some of this evidence.
1 corinthians dated to the year 50
http://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/crossroads/resources/birthofjesus/intro/the_dating_of_thegospels.html

>quotes earlier him that some say dates to about five years after Christ's death.
There are many textual indications that the material pre-dates Paul. Most directly, the apostle employs paredoka and parelabon, the equivalent Greek terms for delivering and receiving rabbinic tradition (cf. 1 Cor. 11:23).

>Biblical sources are not evidence.
I did say there was also extra-biblical evidence. Also, I can use the bible as evidence since it is also a history book.

>Tacitus only very briefly mentioned that a man loosely fitting the description was crucified

The extant manuscripts of the writings of the 1st-century Romano Jewish historian Flavius Josephus include references to Jesus and the origins of Christianity. Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews, written around 93-94 AD, includes two references to the biblical Jesus Christ in Books 18 and 20 and a reference to John the Baptist in Book 18.

>decades after it happened.
In fact, that is really good. You see most people in the ancient world weren't even mentioned until centuries after. Look at Alexander the great. He was one of the greatest conquerors in the entire world but despite this our earliest writings of him come centuries after, This is why Christ is so special. The fact that we have such early writings about a Jewish carpenter who was crucified. I mean it might seem like a lot, but when you hold it up against other historical figures, you find out that in fact, it is very likely that Christ lived.
>>
>>37093335
>I can use the bible as evidence since it is also a history book.
This is where you proved to everybody you're too retarded to argue with.
>>
>>37093335
>it is very likely that Christ lived.
A great majority of real historians disagree.
>>
>>37093559
Do you know what a had hoc is? I write an entire paragraph as to why and you just ignored it.

>>37093573
That is actually false. About 100% of scholars believe that Christ existed. This includes atheist, agnostic and of course Christian scholars. Literally, no one doubts it.
>>
File: nazi-jesus-christ.jpg (18KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
nazi-jesus-christ.jpg
18KB, 316x316px
Matthew 13:24-30

24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
>>
>>37094193

Jesus was a Jew who hated Jews? So was he like a Jewish Tommy Sotomayor that the alt-right Romans used?
>>
>>37094193
He's just criticising the Jews for their behaviour. Something that even God himself says in the OT. He doesn't hate Jews but just that Jews as a whole have acted very negatively towards God and his word.
>>
File: hw2.jpg (196KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hw2.jpg
196KB, 1024x768px
What is your view on Catholicism?
>>
>>37094274
I am not a Catholic and believe that they have misunderstood the gospel. I think in the beginning they were good godly people but after adding on other beliefs like the immaculate conception, exaltation of Mary and the worshiping of idols in the church, the have really fallen off. That is why the Reformation had to happen. The Catholic church had strayed so far from God that he had to destroy its power and rebuild one using his instrument IE Martin Luther, the restore the one true gospel.
>>
>>37086468
What's your favorite book in the Bible? Your favorite verse(s)? Your Christian book? Job 23: 8-17 is fucking radical

I'm reading through the Confessions right now and am planning on tackling the City of God next. Ever read philokalia? I wanted to read it somewhere down the way
>>
File: moralspurdo.png (42KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
moralspurdo.png
42KB, 853x543px
>>37086468

you're a normalfag OP but I'll allow this because the vast majority of LARPers here are /pol/tards who believe in christianity but have zero empathy for anyone but

>white race :DDDD
>>
>>37094378
>What's your favorite book in the Bible?
When I was in an emo phase, I loved Ecclesiastes a lot since it had a depressing theme to it. I was really into those things back when I was 17 since I was going through a depressing episode.

>Your favorite verse(s)?
Jeremiah 20:14-18

>Job 23: 8-17
Gnarly!

>Ever read philokalia?
No, I'm mainly focusing on reading the OT right now. My dad brought a book by Ellen G. White, and I might read it.

>>37094434
I am not, in fact, a normal fag and far from it. But yeah thanks for joining. If there are any questions, you would like answered then feel free to ask, and I will answer to the best of my abilities
>>
>>37094509
>Ellen G. White
What book? I'm more interested in protestant stuff anyways, since I'm an Evangelical. Just figured it would be best to read the early church, get back to the roots, ya know?
>>
File: hw5.jpg (238KB, 457x640px) Image search: [Google]
hw5.jpg
238KB, 457x640px
>>37094347
>exaltation of Mary

Why is this a bad thing?

>the worshiping of idols in the church

Are you referring to the crucifix? Isn't this a common symbol in other denominations?

>>37094434
You're generalizing.
>>
>>37094563
>exaltation of Mary
>Why is this a bad thing?
Not him, but I never understood the idea of intercession. I get wanting the advice of a specific saint, right? But why not just pray to God directly?
>>
>>37094553
>What book?
The great controversy. She's an Adventist but apparently also had hallucinations so I might just check it out. I'm not too interested in her, but it is the only religious book I have in my house besides my Bible.

>I'm more interested in protestant stuff anyways since I'm an Evangelical.
That's great; I'm a reformed Baptist though.

>Just figured it would be best to read the early church, get back to the roots, ya know?
In that case, I recommend Thomas Aquinas work. He was one of the greatest Christian philosophers in history, C.S Lewis just because and Ignatius works. Have you read any of Martin Luther's works?
>>
>>37094563
First off, whom is that woman in your pic?
Secondly, it is because she is a human like you and I and there is no need to exalt her. In fact, in the Bible, Jesus rebukes her for trying to take Christ away from his disciples by calling him. She is just another sinner saved by the grace of God, and so there is no need to exalt her.

>Are you referring to the crucifix?
No, mainly the statues of marry in the church and how the pope is treated. It doesn't seem very Biblical.
>>
>>37094689
I have Luther's "little catechisms" but I never read it. Summa theologica is like 70 bucks and 6 books long, so I feel like a should really have a month set aside just for reading that, so I've avoided it. Nothing wrong with a Baptist Church. Used to attend a Friends Church back in the day
>>
>>37094763
Have you looked at the writings of the early church fathers e.g clement of Rome? How deep in the history of Christianity are you and by that I mean are you only studying stuff from the late middle ages and after or also 1st and early 2nd-century church fathers?
>>
File: hw4.jpg (68KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hw4.jpg
68KB, 680x1024px
>>37094749
>First off, whom is that woman in your pic?

Aya Steinovitz, an Israeli actress.

>how the pope is treated

I can understand that, but I guess he is akin to other spiritual leaders found in other religious communities.
>>
>>37094852
>I can understand that, but I guess he is akin to other spiritual leaders found in other religious communities.
Yeah, but my problem with it is that if you look at early church history then you will understand that at times the popes have been wrong and promoted heresy, disproving papal infallibility in the sense that even they too can be wrong about things.
>>
>>37094851
The furthest back I got (aside from the Bible) is St. Anthony the Great and St. Amun, among the other desert fathers. I'll for sure check out Clement, though. I really want to learn what the earliest Christians understood of the religion, as compared to today, so that I might have a better understanding of what being a Christian means, ya know?
>>
>>37094912
Yeah, one odd thing I found out was the papacy goes way back. I used to think that the idea of popes was a common thing it dates back even to clement. What is your take on this?
>>
>>37093573
And a great majority of real historians do agree,
>>
>>37094852
>>37094563
Can you post more of these woman? They have a nice and homely look to them.
>>
File: hw6.jpg (207KB, 762x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hw6.jpg
207KB, 762x1000px
>>37094888
I agree, but the Pope has apologized for what past Popes did. What do you think of Pope Francis?

>>37094984
>>
>>37094952
To me, it's mostly a testament to the works of the apostles. What those twelve guys accomplished is fucking nuts. I mean, there are churches still operating in India today that were founded by Thomas. As for the idea of a Pope, I can dig the apostolic authority of the clergy, and understand that an organization as large as the Roman Church needs a head to be effective, but the idea of him being a vicar of Christ and papal infallibility seem very sketchy, spiritually. The only personal with infallibility is God, and he can communicate his will just fine without a vicar
>>
File: hw7.jpg (193KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
hw7.jpg
193KB, 427x640px
>>37095029
>>37094984
You mean more of them..
>>
>>37094960
You can't have two majorities retard.
>>
>>37095029
>What do you think of Pope Francis?
He seems like a nice guy, but I sometimes feel odd. He hasn't said anything too bad but has sometimes just slightly seemed too liberal. Again he hasn't said anything that makes him to be a bad pope, but he's starting to kinda steer off especially his comment on homosexuality.

>>37095073
>papal infallibility seem very sketchy, spiritually.
Same, it doesn't seem like the church Christ envisioned just another hierarchy. But then again I can understand how one might come to this conclusion with NT quotes state that Peter was to bind and loose what was in heaven. But despite this, I don't think this is what he meant, and it is also why I think the Reformation had to happen.

>>37095143
Yep, yep I did!
>>
>>37095164
It's not. read what I wrote here>>37093611
>>
File: ecu6.jpg (78KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
ecu6.jpg
78KB, 650x487px
This might be the wrong place to ask, but now that I brought it up, are there any significant writings of the st. Thomas Christians that you guys know of? Any major theological and liturgical differences from other branches of Christianity?
>>
>>37095273
you're better off asking this anon over here: >>37095073
>>
File: hw8.jpg (542KB, 1707x2560px) Image search: [Google]
hw8.jpg
542KB, 1707x2560px
>>37095190
I get that he is too unorthodox. I'm quite interested in how people from other denominations view him.

Last post. Thanks for answering.
>>
>>37095362
You should make a dump of all these ladies. Giving me a real gentleman's boner!
>>
>>37095316
>>37095273
Only one I know of is this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krista_Purana
>>
>>37086468
If god desires all to be saved then why does he bring people into this world to inevitably go to hell?
>>
>>37095436
It is because of their own choices that they have entered hell. God holds out his hand waiting for people to accept him but they choose destruction and so enter into hell. Yes, God does desire fro all men to be saved, but no one actually come to him and so find his wrath besides grace.
>>
File: 220px-Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg (32KB, 220x425px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
32KB, 220x425px
Remember, next time you're feeling lonely anon
>>
>>37095493
Its not their own choice if god creates people with no chance at being saved.
>>
Where do I start? Do I just buy a Bible and start reading?
>>
File: Monreale_creation_Adam.jpg (998KB, 684x963px) Image search: [Google]
Monreale_creation_Adam.jpg
998KB, 684x963px
>>37095960
Bretty much. St. Francis de Sales wrote some great books on how to become a Christian, if you think that would help

Of course you could always get in contact with a local pastor
>>
>>37095960
If you read the Bible, start with the New Testament.
>>
File: jeyzaz.jpg (38KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
jeyzaz.jpg
38KB, 468x240px
MUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JEYZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ
>>
>>37095493
Omniscience and free will cannot exist simultaneously. If god is omniscient then he already knows what choices people will make, and they are destined for hell no matter what. He has created a person for the sole purpose of torturing them forever. If free will exists then god cannot possibly be omniscient.
>>
>>37086468
can i ask something?
>>
File: anders breivik quote.jpg (82KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
anders breivik quote.jpg
82KB, 850x400px
Does believing in this make me a Christian?
>>
File: 1492955576115.jpg (348KB, 1024x1607px) Image search: [Google]
1492955576115.jpg
348KB, 1024x1607px
>>37096941
Depends on the denomination, I guess. The one I belong to places a lot of emphasis on the born again experience, so I would say no. Things like Oriental Orthodox and Coptic Catholic, probably yes
>>
Have you considered Buddhism?
I never had anything of the sort, religion or life guidance click with me until I learned the basics of Buddhism.
I feel a lot closer to overcoming suffering now than with Christianity.
Christianity actually made things worse for me. A constant battle of want from God.
Give me this, give me that. Heal me. Take my sins away.
But the cycle always repeated. Want, sin, overcome wants, get sins washed away. But then it'd repeat.
Buddhism is the only way to overcome suffering and escape the cycle.
>>
>>37097658
Buddhism is like complete death.

Christianity, once you have faith, is life, in my opinion.
>>
File: 1493060100407.png (198KB, 465x481px) Image search: [Google]
1493060100407.png
198KB, 465x481px
>>37097814
>Buddhism is death
What is the Middle Path my friend
I don't think you understand Buddhism.
Christianity leaves you thirsty; Buddhism quenches you.
You know you could be both right?
>>
As a man who has lived his 25 years a trained skeptic and atheist...where to start if i want to believe
>>
>>One enters into heaven through faith alone
There really isn't much support for this in the Bible
>So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. [18] But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. [19] Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. [20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
[21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? [22] Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect? [23] And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. [24] Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? (James 2:17-24).
There's no getting past this verse. Also, look at how Jesus acted, did he ever say only to believe in him? No! Even all the demons in Hell believe in Jesus. He said to keep the commandments of The Father. The sacraments are an extension of these, taking into account the acts of Christ.
>>
>>37097912
Go against all critical thinking you may possess and never question anything in the bible no matter how ridiculous, violent or cruel it is.
>>
File: 1493005078451.jpg (240KB, 933x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1493005078451.jpg
240KB, 933x1280px
>>37097912
Start reading the Bible if your not into community. If you don't own a Bible and never have, look up a .pdf (Douay-Rheims or King James for fancy language) and start with Genesis.
You could also go to your local church. I would suggest a Catholic Church, but any one you want will get you going. Look into what that denomination believes and match it with the Bible. Also look up the etiquette for whichever church you go to.
>>37097954
Shoo shoo atheist. The Bible is infallible and divinely ordained, unlike your posts made between jack-off sessions
>>
>>37086468
Jesus never existed, you fool
>>
File: Olga of Kiev.jpg (131KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Olga of Kiev.jpg
131KB, 720x720px
>>37098144
If Jesus never existed, why is he referenced by such historians of his time as Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Suetonius, and Flavius Josephus, all people who were never Christian in any way?
There's no evidence to your claim, just the equivalent of a man shouting fire in the theater.
>>
>>37098191
Suetonius mentions Chrestians, which was a rowdy sect of Jews in Rome and nothing to do with Christians. Pliny the Younger mentions Christians and not anything about their supposed leader ever living. Tacitus you can't separate from the Gospels because it's likely he got what he got from Pliny the Younger who interrogated Christians about what they believed so that only proves there were Christians saying Jesus existed at the time, with no evidence to back it up. The fact that Josephus doesn't explain what the term Christ meant in a Jewish context to his Gentile audience in both the TF and the James passage. Not going into detail about practically every word that was written in the TF means he most likely didn't write it and even if he did there's evidence that he was using Luke. As far as the James passage, it's weird that Jews would be angry at Ananus for killing James when he was a Christian and Jews persecuted Christians. Origen also never actually cites it either.
>>
>>37098191
>Tacitus
Mentions a supposed messiah being crucified once. Never says anything of his purported miracles, nor does any roman record.
>Pliny
Never mentions Jesus.
>Suetonius
You need to do some research on the sentence and how it's been mistranslated.
>Josephus
It's largely agreed that his work was altered by christians.

And you want to know something? The fucking Heaven's Gate cult had more followers than Jesus, a man who supposedly raised the dead and had them walking the streets, cured leprosy, blindness and all sorts of other ailments, walked on water etc. You would think that somebody capable of doing these things would have been at least briefly mentioned in roman reports but never were.
>>
>searching for rose
>get these threads instead lately

ironic i guess
>>
>>37086468
Should I hate against gays or should I ignore them?
>>
>>37086468
All fear death, but only cowards like you invent delusions and stop fighting.
>>
>>37086468
C-can i still be a christian if i'm not a virgin?
>>
File: 1487688884007.png (102KB, 609x497px) Image search: [Google]
1487688884007.png
102KB, 609x497px
>>37098587
I'm not sure why anyone who believes in Jesus's teaching and Christianity as a religious belief and framework in general are against the gays. The old covenant was rendered fulfilled when Jesus and his disciples ate grain on the old Sabbath. Also the word "abomination" renders more to something morally disgusting/taboo but not outright some kind of literal abomination against man and God.

Jesus never said a word about homosexuals. Only Peter did and Peter was also the guy who got told to shut up by both Jesus and God at different points. "Get behind me, Satan!" was directed to Peter by Jesus. So any part of the new covenant formed by Jesus's sacrifice says nothing about it at all really.

tl;dr the New Testament and new formed covenant really saying nothing about says, only Peter did a couple times but he was even admonished by God and Christ both for talking inappropriately. He who is without sin cast the first stone, etc.
>>
File: 1487103440388.jpg (38KB, 422x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487103440388.jpg
38KB, 422x600px
>>37098597
What if a man doesn't fear death and believes in Christ's teachings as a solid moral, religious, and social framework, put faith in his divinity whether he was made divine at birth or made divine by God on the cross?

Not all of us Christians are in it for the Heaven shebang. I'm not even sure if it is anything great like people imagine or even if we get the same body and memories, etc. If God gives me death in the end, well, shit.
>>
>>37099011
You do know Paul's creed on Jesus' and how he got his name contradicts the Gospels, especially since the creed was before and after his resurrection which was most probably a resurrection from the dead in the celestial sphere and not on Earth.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.