[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you run Civ Quests?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

File: CivWhatDo.jpg (2MB, 2300x7000px) Image search: [Google]
CivWhatDo.jpg
2MB, 2300x7000px
What are your methods for keeping track of stuff in civ quests? What sort of Magic/Tech research paths should be used? How does a good quest master keep track of the food produced and needed for different sizes and tech level civs? Are there any other pitfalls to keep track of while running a good civ quest?
>>
>>701273

>Are there any other pitfalls to keep track of while running a good civ quest?

OP must update quest quickly and regularly...

OP must define the rules of the game clearly and apply them with consistency...

OP must endeavor to produce compelling, high-quality content...

In short: 'Make it fucking good'...
>>
Some People hurl themselves into stats. I'm not partial to that approach, but some mechanical depth is needed.

Just, seriously, write properly. Write something interesting and thematic, and epople will enjoy it. The best Civs come with a unique theme

E.g. Cyclops Civ, Militia's old Civ, Jyoti's Ghouls, The old Elephant People one PrimordialFire did, and a good number of others.
>>
>>701651
What are the best Civs out there? Which was the most lightweight Civ?
>>
Unseen, sewers under a city!
>>
Slimes in the swamp
>>
File: civ_chart.png (2MB, 720x2259px) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2MB, 720x2259px
>>701273
Use this chart.
>>
>>702110
Tikifowl in the Mindscape
>>
>>702223
You have excellent taste.
>>
>>702095
+1
>>
>>702110
What is...This?
>>
File: settingmaker.png (251KB, 1597x1178px) Image search: [Google]
settingmaker.png
251KB, 1597x1178px
>>702301
It is a civilization chart.

Try it some time! It is great fun.
>>
I killed the discussion. :\
>>
>>704124

You sure did...

You monster.
>>
>>701273
>Someone comes and posts a civ quest
>He waits for 6 hours for someone to reply
>Finally after 8 hours post gets 3 replies
>players voted for Slimes and Underwater
>OP takes 3 hours to come up with something about slimes living underwater because he was never expecting such a weird setting/doesn't know anything about slimes/he really didn't want to write about slimes
>Its a 4/10 setting with some awkward english, but whatever
>4 hours later finally 2 anons reply
>OP takes 8 hours to write outcome

And thats how 90% of all civ quests go, even worst when the OPs says "I-I WON'T QUIT I PROMISE" and just leaves the thread to rot for 3 days with only one reply.

If you are a damn good creative writer then post the massive chart with all those races and settings, you may be able to come up with a good setting and goal for all possible combination, but if you are just a regular guy then it may end up being a big task for you to come up with interesting shit for Tengus in the Mana Wastes or Constructs in Floating Islands.

I think that people should just pick a race and location instead of allowing people to vote, that way the OP can prepare himself better for the quest and you avoid the long wait for voters and you get straight to the action instead of waiting people to agree on something, that long and annoying wait really helps yo kill the mood.

Just pick something, flesh it a litlle and post the quest with no initial voting session, that should make things better.
>>
>>702110
Myrm? Is that you?
>>701757
Cyclops Civ. I've not seen any Civs actually reach their conclusion other than that one, and I've barely seen any that survive on /qst/. It's an awful shame, like this Anon said
>>704752
>>
>>704849
Whom?
>>
>>705139
Whom what? This Anon refers to the post above mine, and Cyclops Civ refers to, well, Cyclops Civ.
>>
File: castle2.png (965KB, 895x1200px) Image search: [Google]
castle2.png
965KB, 895x1200px
>>
>>709524

In desperate need of players.
>>
>>709563
See >>702110
>>
>>702301
Its a civ meme, this guy spams this shitty civ chart on civ discussions
>>
>>716179
>>>/b/
>>
Oh hey guys, I also need some players and all on my bullywogs civ thread, right now it is the second one and I plan on making one thread every Monday (since I'm not sure how long a quest takes here on /qst/) and keep going with it from Monday-saturday in a really slow pace due to both life responsibilities(like sleep) and time anons take to reply. >>716059
>>
File: lanternman.png (703KB, 538x770px)
lanternman.png
703KB, 538x770px
Lantern folk "eat" flammable matter. They prefer fancy oils and alcohols, but will also eat solid fuels like coal, charcoal, or even raw wood in a pinch.

Fire requires oxygen, so obviously lanternfolk require air just like humans.

Their bodies are mostly made up of soft metals like copper, tin, silver, and gold, which are further softened and animated through a combination of heat and magic. This makes their metal "skin" feel warm and soft to the touch. It also makes them vulnurable to all the same damage types as humans.

They produce a soft light, equal to a normal lantern. Traditional lanternfolk clothing is designed with holes to let light out. Wearing any kind of armor or non-lanternfolk clothing blocks most of the light, making it only illuminate a 5-foot radius (although the lanternfolk itself will still be visible in darkness from up to 50 feet away). A full-body cloth covering can be worn to completely block out all light, but this also slightly reduces the lanternfolk's perception.
>>
>>701273
First of all I would burn the current stock of fantasy civs in a fire because of how insanely shitty they are.

Seriously its no wonder civs tend to crash and burn so easily if you gotta something so shitty to work with. Its insanely important to simplify traits and balance the stats. Which is why you should stay the fuck away from so many traits. Options are good but it backfires on you if said options are complicated. Remember the QM has to keep track of EVERYTHING.

Complicated stuff like that righ off the bat is a hell no.

Things only go to hell if you make it so complicated and don't know what your getting into. There is a reason why civs are such shit. Civs are very hard to run much harder then quests.

Personally I blame the sheets they spread as a 'start' and QM's not realizing just how complicated it can easily become.

Simplify the stats and civs is a must. You CANNOT let that shit become complicated.

Complications need to come later with interactions between civs and setting. You ABSOLUTELY don't want it before that.

Keep research paths. You gotta research gun powder and good metallurgy before you can even make shitty guns. This logic also needs to apply for magic.

It really helps if you brush up on your history and development of techs but that requires quite a bit of homework.

Simplify the stats if you don't you'll get buried by spreadsheets.

Pit falls are keep the starter simple and keep the stats simple. What should make things interesting is the development of the civ, the setting, and interactions with other civs. Most focus will obviously be on the player's civ and how they interact with the world around them.

This means you gotta have a setting in mind and you gotta keep track of neighboring civs. Hence why its so insanely important to simplify the running of a civ. You gotta keep track of a lot them and its why I personally hate the fantasy starters so much. They throw way too much at you to begin with and give ZERO details on how to keep track of civ development.

I swear to fuck god those who created them clearly never ran a civ game long term if at all.
>>
>>701273
OP if you want to do a Civ, keep it simple and just narrow the civs to just a few ones you're actually willing to write on. So many QMs make the mistake of giving the players too many options and the QMs drop the thread fast because they don't know how to handle the civ and or environment. If you want you can probably just not post the civ list and just post the civ information for the main civ and the civ information for the encountered civ.

I like the civ list though, I'm saving for later under 'civ list v1.3 edited'.

>>730648
Good shit anon. Also dope that your ID has FIT in it. You're spot on with a good bit of it.

I agree, the majority of the civ lists are bad and unorganized. But I personally like the stats/ how the list looks with Tyr & Witter's official versions. But I strongly feel like the civ lists can do for a good makeover. Any ideas how to fix this and balance the civs?

>>730655
Migrating this topic as well. Might use Tyr & Witter's official versions as a base if I ever make a civ list.

Posting an unorganized civ list that I saved earlier that has a lot of civs but seems a bit unnecessary and hard to read.
>>
>>733648
Throw away all those stats they are too abstract you need a hard number and then a description. They just give you a single word and no idea how to keep track of it or really compare it very easily with others.

Simple number stats are amazingly simple and all you gotta do is slap on a description of the current 'level'.

Throw away all those fucking traits that is far too much shit to keep track of. You gotta simplify it and make sure it matches the civ type without being so unnecessarily complicated.

You need hard numbers for stats and keeping traits simple make it MUCH easier to balance.

If you wanna great example the old post apoc civs are amazing. They got a simple easy to understand as fuck starter. They provide numbers, descriptions, and a list of traits. The starter comes with the rules and details available right off the bat.

Sadly nobody runs them anymore so your going to have to trawl the archives. In particular there are three amazing long running examples. The first is the Star Guard mutants, the second was a megacorp whose name I forgot, a government remnant one, and finally the last was actually finished by the longest running civ runner to date. Sadly the first three were incomplete and only the last but longest running QM regularly finished the civs.
>>
File: Civ Base.png (24KB, 288x1316px) Image search: [Google]
Civ Base.png
24KB, 288x1316px
For a civ stat system, what should it be?

So far I'm basing it off of Tyr & Witter's list.

Breeding - How often the civ produces another
Melee - How strong the civ is at with melee combat
Ranged - How strong the civ is at with archery or artillery
Magic - How well a civ can do spells
Technology - How advanced their items can be
Diplomacy - How well their interactions with others will go
Education - How intelligent the general populace is

what other stats should there be?
>>
File: Expanded morality chart.jpg (68KB, 564x541px) Image search: [Google]
Expanded morality chart.jpg
68KB, 564x541px
>>735009
wow, a bit uncanny. I had it on auto and we posted at the same time, the whole civ list I posted was not mine but one that I found to be hard to read and unorganized.

>>735011
The stat card is entirely based off of Tyr & Witter's civ list and has a decent amount stats. (OP's post has an edited civ list that was originally made by Tyr & Witter)

>>735009
I was thinking of adding classes that determine the general morality of the race which will persuade the QM & the players to do actions that fit the civ. If so, should I use the common morality chart or the expanded morality chart? (pic related)

Not only classes but civilization sets.

Urban - more civilized creatures: Dwarf, Elf, Human
Tribal - large systems of small tribes but still same civ: Goblins, Orcs, Kobold, Skaven
Wild - small bands of creatures with general aggression: Insects, harpies, Cyclops, Trolls
Nomadic - Wandering or far spread civ or somewhat more cultured but lives humbly: Tieflings, Faun,
Unnatural - Creatures born of magic or invention: Homunculi, Demon, Treants, Constructs

Also since the creation and rating of a race should be generally straight forward, Should I also do subsets for races.

Drow, Duergar, High elf, wood elf, ect?
>>
>>735011
Throw away diplomacy. That is entirely based upon how well the players do it as they are on control of the civ.

You need a reputation stat which will take the place of a diplomacy one.

You need a food, water, morale, medicine, health, armament, and fuel stat if your tech is advanced enough.

Melee and ranged is based upon the kind of troop you train+modifiers. You really don't need a specific stat for that but just modifiers. In truth it would be a troop stat is all.

Breeding should be a flat rate modified by x and simple 'population' stat instead. the Breeding itself is how much it will increase in x turns. Modified accordingly to stats that will adjust the final result. In other words a number stat that increases by a certain rate that is then influenced by the stats of the civs.

If I remember correctly in the post apoc the longest civ runner used is if you were playing human it was 20% increase every ten turns further modified by stats so it could be lower or higher. Apparently it was based upon irl population increase measurements.

Education doesn't really need to be a stat all of its own. If anything it something you build infrastructure towards and then order specific units or peoples to be trained in. It will also technically be a part of your 'tech' and 'magic' stats which is in truth a combination of your Education level and infrastructure. Technically you don't need it as your 'tech' and 'magic' stat covers that perfectly well.
>>
>>735166
Unless a race is blatantly evil like literally evil incarnate(such as demons) you should stay away from it.

If they DO play such a civ then you ban certain kinds of actions is all.

In the post apoc the only civ choice that had that was the Bandit civs aka 'the bad guys' who possessed such a restriction for obvious reasons.

A morality if anything is based upon their actions and their actions influence what their reputation stat is for their civ. Reputation stat is the weirdest stat because of it. Unlike the others that is a simple number all you get is a general description of your current reputation. Your reputation effects your modifiers when you interact with other civs. To a degree it can even effect your morale within your own civ.

its a weird stat but a very important one because of it, but at least looking at it gives the players the idea of what how their civ is viewed and an obvious idea of how that will affect them.

So for certain evil lean races doing evil things can easily boost their morale(which is a very important stat). This to a degree influences how the players will play the civ without banning stuff.

You just give different bonuses and penalties based upon their choices.

Now for groups who are outright and pure evil then you can do the ban option for certain actions. Generally though that is something you should avoid when possible but sometimes the players wanna play a civ like that. You just gotta make it clear in the beginning that there will be those kind of restrictions.
>>
>>735264
Civilization sets sounds like civilization stats. In which case I would assume they would modify the stats of the a civ depending on player choice.

So you combine that with their racial choice will give the beginning set of stats for a civ. Stats should be able to change depending on player action and rolls if you use them.

At least that is how I think it will work unless choosing a certain race locks in a certain civ type. Which may turn players off if they wanna say play a bunch of nomadic treents who herd walking trees/a forest.

Which sounds cool and fun.

As for racial subsets...well I would say how closely related are they? If they are that distinct it would be safe to split them up like that otherwise it could instead be based upon a history or certain selected options?

I don't really know. I suppose if they are that distinct from each other it should be fine. Otherwise you'll have to figure some other way to organize them then.
>>
File: Civ list v2.0.png (7MB, 1500x6400px) Image search: [Google]
Civ list v2.0.png
7MB, 1500x6400px
>>735218
I meant the base stats for the entire race. Not something to be edited through the game. (certain magic unlocks or technology can be attained from only certain races, some races are just better at accuracy or smashing things)

Though a stat sheet could be made and used during a game like the one you're talking about because that does seem pretty cool to have a visual representation of certain stats.

>>735264
I was thinking about certain interactions between civs would be strenuous if dealing with a generally bad set of guys.

like lawful good cannot interact with chaotic evil and generally have a constant hate for the other. Which creates a somewhat artificial boundary but it also gives the world some depth.

>>735298
I was thinking the civ set would be more like a characteristic of the civ. or an eventual progression towards.
>>
I run more of 'commander' type threads where there is a main character but the main character also has control over a group or army. Not like an omniscient being watching over a civilization, which is more of a cultural evolution quest than a civ quest.

I use the base stats of a civ list and build a world with more of a general idea of how certain races work and with that I just go and make up the rest of the world.
>>
>>735321
The morality chart type thing is more of how the other races see you as than actually how someone plays.
>>
>>735359
There is stereotyping which would offer the basic rep but then it would be modified by the player choices.

That would result in their rep. First people judge you but what you are and then its modified by what has gotten around about you.

>>735337
So a hero unit basically?

>>735321
Base stats are just a starting modifier. Depending on player actions they should be able to improve upon them. Possibly by adding entirely new modifiers into the mix.

strained relations are to be expected in groups who reputation is quite similar to each other and other modifiers. Basing an entire chart around the fact while potentially helpful also adds further complexity.

At that point it might as well be tech level if you can progress it.
>>
File: Civ Base.png (26KB, 288x1316px) Image search: [Google]
Civ Base.png
26KB, 288x1316px
Alright well right now I'm going to do something but I'm going to leave this here.

Growth: How fast offspring occur.

Melee: How strong the race is in hand to hand combat or strength in general ( Should I change it to Strength?)

Range: How accurate they are with ranged weapons like bows or cannons. ( should I change to Accuracy?)

Clandestinity: How surreptitious the race is and how covert they can do things.

Magic: The Strength and limit to the magic the race can obtain.

Technology: The ability to use and create things of greater technological value.

Education: How fast they can learn new things and research the new things.

Culture: Probably the weirdest one so I'm going to go into depth about this one. Culture determines how great their perception is and how they interact with other races within and out of their civ type. This also plays into part with how fast their morale is when in surroundings that are sub par to their culture. Higher culture means easier relations within civ type but lower relations with other civ types and faster morale decrease when outside of culturally enhanced areas. (Give me some ideas on how to edit this one here because I'm kinda all over the place so how do I make it more simple)

Morale will be set near the bottom of the card and the name and image will be above in the empty space.

Civ type is somewhat vaguer than the others and will be on the left side of the entire chart as each card is a single race.

Talking about races can you give me some races that I should have other than the ones already in Tyr & Witter's civ list?
>>
Guys, I have legitimately never seen anyone running a Civ quest even reference the stats. At all, ever. Seriously, just abstract based on what the race is and go from there. If you want to declutter it, just put up the races. Everyone can reasonably be expected to know what Giants do. Syrinx or other more obscure races may be a bit harder to manage, but a decent CM can just describe them and get started.
>>
File: Test.png (3MB, 4000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
Test.png
3MB, 4000x10000px
Test
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.