[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The state of /g/ and possibility of splitting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: gwithoutsup.png (985KB, 1897x972px) Image search: [Google]
gwithoutsup.png
985KB, 1897x972px
When we look at /g/ now days its a conglomerate of requests and generals. Hiding just the requests and shitposts (">using x" " is x a meme" etc) ends up hiding 99 threads and leaves us with almost only generals. Now the generals arent the bad part and while i dislike them thoroughly as they don't promote proper discussion, some of them are somewhat necessary.

The board itself has declined in quality over the past many years, and while we won't namecall it's obvious the solution is either mass banning or a board split. Thats why I'm proposing the two boards;
/g/ - consumer tech
/whatever/ - technology

consumer tech aims mainly at the "shill" threads but can also incorporate question threads if done properly through generals. technology allows for proper discussion as well as the generals that dont relate to consumer tech (/dpt/ /fglt/, etc). This is the best solution as it provides a balance between generals and discussion related to that field (consumer or tech).

While I do quite like this set up, another possibility is
/g/ - technology
/gg/ - technology generals
The issue with this though is a board solely for generals obviously doesn't promote discussion and implementing new generals then becomes a difficult task due to promotion. Another point with this set up is that it also requires tech support threads to be banned from /g/ (they arent meant to be posted there anyway, but often are).
>>
inb4 buttmad weebs
>>
too long; didn't read
>>
>>1406656
¥he uses Photon
>>
>>1406659
im neutral on weebs that dont shit post (RARE) but i think i hid about 12 pepe posters who just green text questions or shitpost

>>1406660
tldr: split /g/ into /g/ - consumer tech and // - tech
>>
Post this on http://www.4chan.org/feedback under "board suggestion". They don't reply anymore but they still read that page.
>>
>>1406666 (checked; praise kek)
Why not just make /news/ for /g/?
>>
>>1406670
more that just news, i covered in op that consumer tech is also a few generals
>>
>>1406677 (checked)
I mean a text board like /g/ already had one
>>
>>1406684
oh like /tech/ and /prog/ were? they were good but attracted no users mainly due to the lack of promotion and the poor layout. interesting point since /vip/ was a textboard that came back as an actual board and while slow (mainly due to actually needing a pass) is still eons faster than it used to be
>>
>>1406670
>>1406684
You can already post stuff that on >>>/news/
>>
>>1406686
old /vip/ was better
>>
>>1406662
This. WTF?
>>
>>1406704
of course, in every way was it better, text boards work better with the theme
>>
>>1406656
>>
>>1406656
If they actually enforced the "not tech support" rule, there would be more room for actual content.
For about one week I reported every single tech support thread I saw, hardly any got deleted.
I could report 20+ every time. It's pretty silly.
>>
>>1406656
Just bring back /prog/
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.