[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the red pill in "being nice"?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: Unknown.jpg (3KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
3KB, 289x174px
Give. It. To. Me. Straight.

Why are people actually nice to others?
Is there a selfish motivation to being nice?
Donation to beggars? Charitable contribution?

What does /pol think?
>>
>>132921565
I'm nice and friendly to strangers. I'm honest with friends.

And I never give money to beggars or charities.
>>
>>132921565
Being nice is a sign of weakness.
Someone will always take advantage of the nice guy. Women will cheat on them because they're so nice, they can take it.
Government abuse compliant citizens or "nice guys"
Muslims and other criminals don't respect nice either. You're more likely to be raped and/or killed as a "nice guy"
>>
People are nice to each other?
>>
>>132921565
Everyone is selfish in some capacity. If you take your shirt off and give it to a homeless man, you do it to make him feel good in turn making yourself feel good. There is no intentional malice in the gesture, it's just basic human psychology.
>>
People want others to be nice because that's what best for us, not for the nice people.
Additionally, a lot of niceness is simply apathy, timidness and weakness disguised as a positive trait.
A man must leave being nice to women. A man should be both strong and good.
>>
>>132921801
There's a difference between being nice and being a pushover. The old generations of men were nice but ruled with an iron fist.
>>
as jordan Peterson put it you be nice to each other so 30 apes can sit in a room together without fear of have their limbs ripped off.

or something along those lines.

aka do unto others as you have them do unto you.it is a safety measure for a functional society.
>>
>>132921565
I think it's one of the best ways to give meaning to your life. Without meaning you will spiral into nihilism and then hedonism. You need something to drive you. And helping people is as good of an engine as any other.

The key is to help people who you interact with directly. For example, offer to rake the leaves for an elderly neighbor. Do small things that makes people's lives more bearable. It could even just be smiling at a stranger.

DON'T make huge distant goals like saving all of Africa from starvation. Don't donate to charities. You'll only end up disillusioned.

>>132922028
I see what you mean. But I'd like to believe that I know a few true altruists who help people for no other reason than getting help to them.
>>
>>132921565
Unless you're a mentally ill, degenerate fuck, being nice by default is
>easier
>more dignified
>more effective
and it enables employing subversive tactics.

>inb4 it's weakness
Playing every game straight is a fool's strategy. Do not attempt to apply pressure until you have leverage. Pick your battles, and more importantly, pick your moments. This is how you win.
>>
>>132921565
>>132921565
I would say it's better to have common courtesy and decency towards one another
>>
Being nice to someone and recieving a recipricol smile (bonus if its from a qt3.14) and a show of gratitude gives me satisfaction. It improves my morale, and maximizes my utility as a member of society.

And it opens up avenues to interaction and meeting new people (really just to meet vagina)
>>
Being genuinely polite and courteous is dignified and eternally stylish.

Being a bitchass pushover is neither.

There is a difference.
>>
Being nice just makes life easier.

You're more approachable, more likely to work well with others, more likely to pick up more/better jobs. Not only that but it feels good. Its far easier to smile in the face of adversity than to resent it. Two quotes come to mind:

"Holding onto resentment is like drinking poison and expecting your enemy to die"

"An honest man need never remember what he has said"

The hardest thing to do sometimes though is to be nice, and learn when to say no to people. Learning when your help turns into your exploitation to one of the greatest skills to master.
>>
>>132923853
This, being nice is a way to get things from people. If I'm a massive prick to someone they'll try everything in their power to not help me, but if I smile at them and say good morning every day they're going to see me as a nice guy who they should do a favor. Make sure people see you being nice and generous, and people will bend over backwards to do as you ask. Remember people's names, write down birthdays, and remember big events in people's lives. It helps you use them.
>>
I have a superstition wherein when my porfolio is down I give $20 to the filthiest bum in the shittiest parking lot I can find, and the market will turn around. And it always works.

Irrational self-interest.
>>
>>132921565
Be nice to people but don't waste resources on people outside your social circle unless you plan on including them in the future.
>>
>>132921565
>Why are people actually nice to others?
On some level, it's instinctual. We're social creatures and cannot thrive when deprived of relationships and community. From pair bonding to innate tribalism, it's all helped us reproduce and survive. Being nice is incredibly powerful if you recognize its true utility.

>Is there a selfish motivation to being nice?
There can be. Virtue signalling is one such example. Sometimes people are nice to others just because it makes them feel good (which is still "selfish" but relatively harmless). These facts don't invalidate altruism, just makes it harder to identify. There's a good quote about altruism:
>You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

>Donation to beggars?
Not inherently bad, but done carelessly it is counterproductive. Most beggars/homeless people are such because they have addiction and mental health issues. Giving them money just allows them to further their addictions, which doesn't improve their situation. I refuse to give out money, but I have bought food for a man on two different occasions.

>Charitable contribution?
Largely vanishes into bureaucratic and administrative ether (much like your taxes). Unfortunately, there is little the average person can do that is both direct and effective.
>>
>>132921565
Being nice is not about giving money or services for free.

being nice is a mutual endeavor, If you help someone and they don't help you back in a similar fashion when you need it then you never help him back again.

United you are stronger, and can accomplish bigger things. Divided you are weak.

Being "nice" doesn't mean being a doormat.
>>
>>132925249
You think virtue signaling is harmless because you virtue signal!
>>
Niceness isn't a virtue and shouldn't be a goal, it's a natural response to love/respect felt for another human being.

Pathological altruism is pure cancer.
>>
>>132924804
My Carnegie/Machiavelli nigger
>>
I'm nice to people because people tell you not to be
>>
>>132921565
Be nice to strangers because it indicates you were raised properly.
Be nice to girls because they don't want any depth of emotion. Job sucks? Tell the girl you're taking out that it's fun and rewarding. There's no such thing as sympathy points.
But I'm not sure you need to be nice to your friends. Be a man, pay for your share of thins and do your share of the work. But iron sharpens iron. My harshest critics are my friends, who won't let me get away with gay shit even for a second.
>>
>>132924804
Indeed. On top of everything else, being polite and collected is a power play. A lot of people out there wish to humiliate, denigrate and to break you, but a person who's calm and polite appears to be the one in control. You will stab the fucker (metaphorically) the moment he loses his focus, but as long as you smile and nod until it's go-time, you're giving your opponent nothing they want and an illusion of safety.

They never see it coming either.
>>
Eat a shit op. Sage
>>
>>132927700
>until it's go-time
???

but yea, maybe I've some sort of mental illness but I can't remember a time when I lost control of myself.
I see people get into mad rage or desperate cries and i'm just like .. whatever, it's mostly apathy I think.
>>
>>132928107
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=go+time+definition

>but yea, maybe I've some sort of mental illness but I can't remember a time when I lost control of myself.
Let me guess, you're a NEET.
>>
>>132928466
>Let me guess, you're a NEET.
I'm university graduate and I work from home, Idk if that apply.
>>
>>132921801
You can invite a man into your home for dinner, but make it clear to him the gun over the mantle isn't just for show.
>>
>>132921801
>>>/r9k/
>f-fuck chad and Stacey right guys??
>>
Hey OP, recommend you read
"What is Man?" By Mark Twain.
It's a short essay, but details a more perfect answer to your question than I care to type out.
And he wrote it in 1906. Talk about ahead of your time.
>>
>>132921789
that... im nice even with feminazis and traps. if we are in a bar and im drunk eventually my power level shows in intelligent and precise arguments.
>>
>>132928557
Then it sounds like you're depressed, bruh.
>>
>>132929625
>Then it sounds like you're depressed, bruh.
Yea probably, been for a long time, maybe I should seek help but I don't believe in mental diseases.
>>
>>132921565
It's as easy as knowing before anyone thought they first started thinking God was with them and in the womb thus that's where He taught us natural moral instincts... Go watch some kids play in a playground oh wait we're on fuckin 4chan some of you I bet can't give me a break
>>
>>132929747
It's not a matter of belief when you're living it.
>>
>>132921565
Tell me what's the red pill of your elbow?
>>
>>132921565
Evolution, our brain is hardwired to avoid ostracization because people banished from their tribe tend to have a harder time finding mates.

Being nice to people helps avoid that fate.
>>
>>132929979
>It's not a matter of belief when you're living it.
I'm afraid of mind altering substances, my mind is all I have. I don't even take coffee.

But yea maybe I should get out of this board and talk to someone, years of isolation are not healthy desu.
>>
>>132921789
me too, also friendly to family members even if they are retarded lefties
>>
>>132921565
There's two different types of nice.

Right-wing nice: out of the goodness of your heart

Left-wing nice: fake, empty, always expects something in return.
>>
Probably has a lot to do with lessening your chances of conflict with other members of the same species, ensuring a smoother maneuvering through life.

On a less autistic note, I just don't feel like being a dick most of the time. Usually in a pretty good mood, and niceness just seems to come with it.

Nothing wrong with it, just don't be a push over.
>>
>>132921565
It's a tactic in martial arts.

And I don't mean, "act nice and then hit 'em!"

Being polite and open-hearted lowers your cortisol levels, keeps you centered, focused, but still relaxed, and it makes it much more difficult for your opponent to ruffle your feathers when you have the discipline of niceness.

It also tends to enrage opponents who are trying to intimidate you. Getting them to act stupid and not pay attention.

It's a serious part of the whole martial arts philosophy.
>>
I asked because I've head being nice is OFTEN associated with:
(1) being timid
(2) no talent
(3) weak
(4) underlying motive

Thoughts? Thanks /pol.
>>
>>132921565
For a non meme answer, read The Handicap Principle. Basically the idea is that altruism evolved as a handicap one imposes on oneself as a signal to indicate genetic fitness. It's basically like saying "I'm such a good mate I can fend for myself AND have energy to spare to help out these betas, pls respond."
>>
>>132932709
OFTEN is the keyword
You can be nice without being a doormat pushover faggot, likewise, you can be confident without being an asshole
>>
>>132921565
It's a gross oversimplification in understanding, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Would you like it if someone lied to you? No, right? So, it's prudent for everyone to be honest with each other. But it's not about being "nice," it's about being honest and having integrity.
If you go and burglarize(for you slow ones, that means stealing from a property without intent to threaten or harm people) someone's home and get caught, you likely expect to be arrested and have charges pressed, etc, and will abide by that, if you have any integrity. But someone who robs someone at gunpoint and is caught, is more than likely going to try and still get away with it if they can. They have already shown a lack of integrity by being willing to harm someone to take their belongings. Why should any leniency be shown? Did they? No. They only deserve justice.

Being "nice" to everyone, and the result of it, is one of the greatest examples available of good intentions paving the way to hell.
>>
>>132921565
Theres a difference between being nice and being a wimp.

Being nice makes other people happy, in turn it makes people like you, and in turn they play nice with you. Its mutually beneficial. I dont see any benefit to being mean. Thats the purely selfish sociopath pov, I feel that any person who needs to ask this question is one.

I cant even imagine a society where everyone acts like some of the salty cucks on here, I mean I agree with almost everything but just how insufferable some of you are is unbelievable.

>Is there a selfish motivation to being nice?
Not all the time, sometimes its just to brighten someones day, you know itll improve their mood if you were in their shoes. I dont feel much different for giving the complement but I know they do - its for the greater good, and strengthens the bonds between people.

Ideally a society will be friendly by default (with appropriate levels of being skeptical) but harsh when needed. For example youre nice to a guest, but if he pulls some intentional bullshit like spitting on your floor you beat his ass and throw him out (ie. Europe situation right now). You learn from the mistake and keep him out in the future.

>Donation to beggars? Charitable contribution?
Beggars, no. Charities, depends. Kids charities yeah, hospitals, science, etc.
>>
>>132921565
Everything works better and cheaper when we haul the line together, but slackers inevitably take advantage of the surplus and begin creating a deficit in production. Without a proper purge of negligent unlabor the pileup of inefficiency kills entire sectors of the market as they form cliques and group together in departments and even entire shifts for mutual protection.
>>
>>132926676
I don't know anything about carnegie, but anyone who doesn't practice machiavellianism is a fool. Why sacrifice anything for no gain? If you want to be some greater good so be it, but so manly people dedicate themselves to making tiny ripples in a vast ocean. Siezed power and fortune, and use it to shape the world to your will. I really wish more people lived like that.
>>
>>132930524
Everything you do alters your mind. Being here for instance.
>>
I got treated like shit as a kid so I'm nice to people (sometimes too nice but I'm working on that) because I know how shitty it feels when people are assholes to you

Of course, if someone is an asshole to me I have no problem being an asshole right back but I always avoid making people feel bad about themselves, because I know what that can do to a person
>>
Fuck nice. Be useful.

The more useful you make yourself, the greater your importance.
>>
>>132936985
This.

If someone tries to wrong you, you flip it around and make sure they know that they fucked up.
>>
>>132921801
>not playing the nice guy role so your victims feel in control and more comfortable
It's almost like you have learned nothing from the Jews.
>>132921565
Evil men always play nice. Nice can either be the mark of the stupid and weak, or the greatest deception that WILL get you killed.
Play nice to stay alive.
>>
>>132936985
too close to home, anon
>>
>>132936985
I got treated as shit by people outside my house and it only made me worse. Even when I was nice people treated me bad, I think because of my appearance so this made me hate how they are superficial. What started working better was being kind of intimidating + nice. Having a nice posture, looking confident and like a good citizen when near cops and like a bad guy when near poor people. Unfortunately this requires a lot of energy for me.
>>
>>132925142
Yeah, that's called the butterfly effect.
The bum needs that 20$ for crack, so he calls his dealer who just needed that 20$ for his Cadillac, which needed one more hand to make, so they hired your faggot ass.
>>
>>132932709
>(4) underlying motive
Yeah, you got me. I figure if you help me, it would be paid forward, and not end at a sociopath.
Sometimes we can't do things by ourselves. We need teamwork to get things done.
>>
File: 1474638544085.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474638544085.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>132921565
There is, in my opinion, several tiers of "being nice"

There are:
>Hollow, self-serving "altruism/charity": which is just a pretense of "being nice and/or generous"... which is used as a social foil to show other people that you are "a good/caring person," which is usually used to manipulate people in your immediate social circle to lower their guard around you so they are easier to deceive/manipulate for your gain.

then there is:
>Pathological/Masochistic-Altruism: Which is what you see with the "Refugees Welcome" crowd or the whites who attach themselves to "Black Lives Matter" and other such "Anti-White" movements... they use "Goodness" and perceived altruistic moral pursuits to be "penance" for their original sin of being WHITE. They therefore use evil ends to destroy their own in-group on behalf of an other, alien out-group as a form of self-righteous suicide... deeming it "Good"... because professor Shekelsteinberg told them it was so... and he OBVIOUSLY MUST KNOW!! Otherwise the "System" in which they placed their full trust as being "GOOD" would have NEVER let them take out $100K in loans to learn something BAD & FALSE!! ...r..rrr-right guys?!?!

I could unpack this several other ways... but you get the point... Healthy White peoples are "nice" because cooperation is part of our epigenetic imprinting in successful generations code. We worked together as villages and clans to last through the ice-age winters by planning ahead, dividing up responsibilites together, for the good of the VOLK/Villiage/Family/City.

As such, we evolved beyond the rest by a wide margin so far as foresight and efficiency is concerned.
>>
>>132924399
BP

Well said. There is a difference between being impeccably mannered, and being pathologically altruistic.
>>
File: MAtthew.jpg (52KB, 778x675px) Image search: [Google]
MAtthew.jpg
52KB, 778x675px
>>132921801
>it's another episode of >>>/r9k/ doesn't know shit about life but RRREEEeeeeeees about it as an "authority" nonetheless

never gets old!
>>
>>132929372
Not OP but reading it right now, really appreciate the recommendation
>>
>>132924804
I remember when I read how to win friends and influence people
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.