[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vid/ - Video General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 16

File: vid gen p.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
vid gen p.jpg
1B, 486x500px
New sticky for 2017 edition (Still needs work)
> - READ THE STICKY IF YOU'RE NEW
http://pastebin.com/SjKPtgCj

Previous thread
>>2992989

Thread topic: Why haven't you pre-ordered the Panasonic GH5?
>>
>>3010961
>Why haven't you pre-ordered the Panasonic GH5?
Because my BMPCC does the job better. That and I'm really poor.
>>
>>3010976
How do you sync your audio? Do you sync timecodes or just do it manually?
>>
>>3011013
Manually. I really don't mind it, doesn't take long and gives you more flexibility.
>>
>>3008975
sorry for the late response anon. Yeah that 2k is only for the camera. I'm building a pc seperate for streaming on youtube and editing.

How does the Canon XA35 compare to the Panasonic AG-UX90?
>>
>>3010961
w2c cam pictured
>>
File: xps15vsmacbook.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
xps15vsmacbook.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Hello fellas, I need your help

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I'm not sure what to get.
I'm choosing between either the New Dell XPS 15, or the 2015 MacBook Pro 15"
I've been a Mac user for the past 6 years, and a fan of Final Cut Pro X (used premiere as well but it didn't really impress me)
What's the best video editing software for Windows?
Is the 2015 MacBook Pro still suitable for video editing?
My footage is from a gh4 (usually I downscale 4K), but who knows, maybe I'll get a beefier camera in the future

Please help a brother out

I realise a desktop is much better for video editing, but unfortunately I need a laptop for the portability
>>
>>3011360
>Q. I have no budget, what camera should I buy for this professional job I'm doing?
>A. A Red Helium 8k
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>3011360
It's simple: Never use Apple products for anything. These are overpriced medicore meme products with no actual professional value. Facebook machines for posers. No actual professional will take you serious if he sees you with a Mac. Besides those semi-pros who do local advertisment and wedding shit ofc. The actual movie branche just laugh its ass off about these toy products, and accept them only as a nice income in the form of product placement. Dude, it's merely fashion. You cannot work with this.
>>
>>3011369
The sticky is absolut shit. I told this fucker before but he did not listen. No information. Lame humour. Hideous.
>>
>>3011372
Some of it is alright, but other parts are just straight up uninformed.
>(LUTs are for colour-correction of RAW footage)
>>
>>3011371
Am I getting memed here
>>
>>3011372
I heard you; you criticised it and offered no solutions after I asked. Help make it better or stop complaining like a petulant manchild

>>3011369
What do you want? The best camera on the market is a RED helium
People frequently come into /vid/ and say thst money's no object, asking what camera to buy
There's your answer
If you want a better answer, ask a better question
>>
>>3011375
I thought LUTs were applied to give RAW footage certain looks, saving time?
I take it that's wrong, what should it say?
>>
>>3011386
>the best camera on the market
>>
>>3011388
That is one use for a LUT. Look it up yourself and stop spreading misinformation.
>>
>>3011389
What's better?
Or are you implying that it can't be bought? (Cause it can)

>>3011390
>complaining and not offering solutions
We had no sticky, and before that a sticky that couldn't be accessed
If you want to help, please help. I, in no way, consider myself the most knowledgeable person in these threads. But no one was doing shit so I wrote an attempt fairly quick and got very little feedback
>>
>>3011390
http://nofilmschool.com/2011/05/what-is-a-look-up-table-lut-anyway
>In all cases of LUT use, the LUT is the means to make up the difference between source and result

is your problem that he said RAW footage when a LUT can be applied to compressed footage too?
>>
There
http://pastebin.com/TBVTnCyU

I've updated the sticky. Go and complain that it doesn't do [insert ultra specific thing] or makes [minor mistake], but don't worry about offering actual changes besides "do it better"

Maybe after 3 or 4 more iterations, it will actually be able to stand next thread
>>
>>3011360
If you want a great UI (inc. the best trackpad and display on the market), go Mac. If you want to save money and play video games, go Windows.

If you want an actually well-optimised and easy to use NLE, go FCPX. If you want features with more depth and CC dynamic link, go Premiere.
>>
How do you guys brainstorm ideas for a screenplay? I feel my ability to film stuff is currently limited by my lack of content to actually shoot.
>>
>>3011425
I write something I really like, unhindered
Then I realise that I can't practically produce it on my no-budget
So I simplify the script down and cut most of the characters
Then I film it and realise that it's still too ambitious, so cut a bunch of stuff on the day

Then I get sad when I've made another shit short
(this is only half-true, I'm getting better at writing things that I can realistically make)
>>
>>3011371

Yawn.
>>
I thought I'd messed up the sound on a shoot and was so annoyed I was considering dropping the entire project. Just made a provisional edit of the day's footage and it's actually very salvageable. So I'm in a sort of good mood
/blogpost
>>
Why is there no sonyautist in /vid/? Why should only the stills and fuji threads suffer?
>>
>>3011508
there used to be
/vid/ has largely all agreed the best bang-for-buck camera to be the a7sii so there's not loads of reason for a sony autist to get mad
But with the release of the gh5 and the fujifilm xt-2, that may change...
>>
>>3010961
Should i just get an FS5 and call it a day?
>>
>>3011524
I didn't agree to anything, you giant ape.
>>
>>3011531
>largely all agreed
>largely
largely all =/= all
you dunce
>>
>>3011530
Depends what you shoot, but for me at least, the 3200 base ISO is excessive and can lead to more trouble than it's worth when underexposing. Everything else about the camera is nice. On the other hand, I feel like at that price range you might as well get an ursa mini, or, if you wanna pony up some more cash, get an FS7 and THEN call it a day
>>
>>3011570
What would the problem with that be though? 3200 ISO with 14 stops of DR. If it's too high, just use the built in variable ND.
>>
>>3011524
>/vid/ has largely all agreed
>the best bang-for-buck camera to be the a7sii
Wow, two wrong things in such a short post.
I have seen every thread the question "what's the maximum perfomance for minimal price" and I have never seen any Sony recommended, not even the a6000. Plenty of Lumx G7/G85 and BMPCC recommentations tho.
>>
>>3012030
liar, no one ever recommends the bmpcc without a long explanation that it doesn't work without a decent rig that will probably cost more than the camera itself
>>
>>3012074
Truth and true.
>>
>>3012074
I've seen it recommended as a B-Cam for people with already built equipment, not for beginners.
But if you already have stuff like Rigs, additional tripods, microphones, the BMPCC is an ideal stationary B-Cam and so said others in these threads
>>
>>3012093
>stationary B-Cam
does the bmpcc have bad rolling shutter? on a scale of sony to global shutter, how bad is it?
>>
Can someone explain to be the difference between the Canon XA35 and the Panasonic AG-UX90?

The Panasonic looks superior on paper for the same price but I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious. The camera's gonna be used for live streaming btw.
>>
>>3012074
Except that's not true at all, I use it as an A-cam with native lenses and stock batteries/sound etc. all the time and it's absolutely perfect. I'd never get a GH5 or A7s because it'd just be such a huge step down.
>>
>>3012146
It's lower than Panasonic levels, so pretty close to global shutter, because smaller sensor and less pixels, it only does 1080p
Let's see how the BMPCC Mk. II will do, it will have a 4k sensor, so maybe worse low-light perfomance and more rolling shutter
>>
>>3011968
When I used it I found it basically tries to push the shadows to high, so the noise to signal ratio isn't great if you aren't lighting. So if you're in a low light situation with not a lot of light actually hotting the sensor, the shadow areas feel kind of noisy. Even on the FS7 I tend to overexpose 1-1.5 stops and push it down in post so i can get cleaner, deeper shadows.

So for low-key scenarios you're fighting against the camera, at leastin my experience
>>
>>3012347
somebody did not investigate what gamma is for. you should read about gamma, organic vs. technical sensitiveness and device workflow.
then you can avoid needless ETR nonesense.
>>
>>3012349
Any chance getting a short explanation from you?
>>
>>3012318
The leaked specs suggested it might have a larger sensor too, so that might not be the case.
>>
>>3012372
If you have problems with noise in shadows, in spite of low iso and without any DR-enhancement or raising the shadows in post, then you did not work correctly with gamma. Such a shot must be noiseless as it is. At least when you ignore global noise. But noise only in shadows is a workflow failure.

What you have to know first is that our eyes are not sensitive to light linearly. We resolute differences in darks better (finer) than in lights. But a sensor is linear. As well as displays. Therefore in every step a correction of the different curve of sensitivity is necessary. This is called gamma. There are dozens of norms for different standard, like in pal/ntsc and so on. The aim is to "linearisize" the signal to match the natural impression of the human eye. But when post-processing is necessary before the output, the signal is possiblely not corrected. This is the case e.g. for those logaritmic profils like slog/v-log and so on. (Tho these are a little complexer and cannot be just corrected with gamma .. at least not with gamma only on luma).

But in your case it seema like you are working with a profils which expects the display to work (correct) with a specific gamma value, but you post process it on a divergating device.
You should choose the right profile (gamma value) in your cam in order to post process what you need and then output with the right gamma correction for the final displaying device. (So, values for tv, web or cinema are different). Once you have the right values the shadows shouldn't noise AT ALL.
Also notice: When you ETR and then push down, you don't get rid of the noise in the shadows, you only shift it to the mids. Don't do that. Because when you then correct the gamma you crush the blacks and the mids still noise. Stupid.
>>
>>3012432
Right well i should explain myself better then, cause this isn't what i was saying at all.
First yoy say
>in spite of low ISO
and the whole point of what i was responding to initially was that the native ISO of the FS5 is 3200, already kind of high compared to most cinema cameras (800). Secondly, i think the noise is most pronounced in the shadows, but is apparent all over when shooting s-log3. I'm aware that s-log3 in general lifts shadows more that one might expect, but even when going through color correction and adjusting the curves, if you shoot in low light the shadows don't end up nice and clean. On the other hand, if you expose everything up a bit, you can get good DR and good contrast range with an overall cleaner image, since by pushing the whole image down you push the noise down too.

Then,
>when you ETR and you push down, you don't get rid of the noise in the shadows, you only shift it to the mids

This, as far as I've experienced it, is simply not true. The final image I get after color correction is simply cleaner overall without needing to crush the blacks or anything else, and certainly with no noise in the mids. The only concern is not to fuck the highlights but that's easy enough to do. When correcting the gamma i don't apply an overall correction (like a LUT), but I have more leeway in correcting each area of the image individually (blacks-shadows-mids-highs-whites) ensuring nothing gets crushed or fucked in any way.

This information seems corroborated by places like xdcam-user.com in the articles explaining how the gamma and the EI functions are built in Sony cameras.

TLDR: All i can say is that, in s-log3 shooting on fs5 or fs7 and color correcting, i've had the best results exposing .5 stops over in daytime (so measuring for 1600EI on the fs7's theoretically 2000 native ISO) and exposing 1.5 stops over in night scenes (so exposing at 800EI) and then grading the image at that level or pushing down if needed.
>>
>>3012483
Actially to further back this up, i posted this before in a /vid/ thread explaining the situation, RED's site has a really good breakdown of how this ISO and tonemapping thing works:

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/iso-speed-revisited
>>
>>3012485
yes, neat. but connection? where?
>>
>>3012483
Well, if you think you know better then go ahead. I won't stop you from building a bad workflow. I still see that you didn't get the theoretical background. But you don't have to as long as you are satisfied with your results.
I didn't participate in a brand/model discussion, I was talking generally. And these are two facts:
1. Noise in shadows is a workflow failure.

2. ETR and pulling down (pushing was a wrong term I used) merely shifts noise. This is NOT A METHOD to denoise a signal.

Now, do and belive what you want. Right. :^)
>>
Should I get a f35 for 4000€?
The seller says the v-mount lever and top lever are kind of broken. And on the Pl-mount a "lush" is damaged. But nothing that would affect functionality
>>
>>3012515
kek, completely out-dated tape-recording digital camera. literally three generations old.

aber ernsthaft, danke für den tipp. hab dem geschrieben, schau sie mir morgen an. da weste bscheid.
>>
>>3012515
Dude, for this price you get an Aja Cion. I'd trade five F35s for one Cion.
>>
>>3012515
>it's 2009
>I'll invest into the future and buy a digital camera for 250.000$
>it's fullHD
>CCD
>8 years later it's worth 4.000 bucks
>I destroyed 30.750$ a year
> ain't I clever?
kek
>>
>>3012528
>aber ernsthaft, danke für den tipp. hab dem geschrieben, schau sie mir morgen an. da weste bscheid.
you take that shit to /int/, /p/ is an anglo board
>>
>>3012515
lol just get the F65 and call it a day
>>
>>3011386
Alexa is way superior. Both awfully out of reach for a no budget filmmaker. I recommend the Ursa Mini 4.6K
>>
>>3012605
Complexes? :^)
>>
>>3010961
updated to reflect new document
http://pseudosticky.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo_sticky#Video
>>
>>3012074
Which usually comes out cheaper than an A7sii and all the batteries and adapter you need to make it functional
>>
>>3012637
What ever happened to the old one anyway?
I member it not being complete garbage.
>>
>>3012528
your welcome you sneaky cunt. Let me know when its yours in case you want to rent it out to me or collaborate
>>
>>3012635
>Alexa is way superior
No it's not
It's used more frequently sure, but the RED is definitely better
>objectively better sensor
>much higher resolution (does the Alexa even have a model above 4k?)(nevermind 8k)
>120 fps

>Both awfully out of reach for a no budget filmmaker
This true and kind of the point. If you're a no budget filmmaker, price is clearly an issue. Even the ursa mini 4.6k is a tad expensive for the people here
>>
>>3012639
can you not pick up batteries for an a7sii for like under 30 quid?
you can definitely get a half decent lens adapter for under 200
>>
>>3012666
You can get a BMPCC + Metabones for about half the price of an A7Sii. Batteries are about a fiver each too so you can get all the power you need for next to nothing.
>>
File: 1457807569096.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1457807569096.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Is there an equivalent of FCPX for Windows?

Alternatively, what's the best NLE for Windows?
>>
>>3011360
get the cheapest laptop you can with the specs you need and use premiere pro you fucking peasant. stretch your dollars and do more. You literally need everything for editing. You need a powerful cpu a powerful gpu a lot of ram and fast storage. IF you understand what parts to look for in laptops follow my advice. If you are retarded buy a mac.
>>
>>3013189

Premiere is the best, no serious editors use FCP anymore (unless they are still using 7) majority have switched from 7 to PP after the anal rape upgrade that was fcpx
>>
>>3013228
But if you're using a Mac anyway FCPX beats Premiere for any kind of quick editing.
>>
>>3011360
>>3013195
>editing on a laptop
might as well get a macbook, you prole
build a tower
>>
>>3013353
Are you dyslexic?
>>
>>3011360
Just get the XPS 15 9560. It's your best option. If you have the cash, dish out for the 4k model. Better color accuracy, although if you're serious, you'll also have it color calibrated. The build quality and aesthetic is comparable to a mac too.

The i7 model will tear through anything you need with the Adobe suite which is the only editing software you should be using. Another option is the Razer Blade. Check that out too.
>>
>>3013492
Is the i7 xps significantly better than the 2015 MacBook oro i7?
>>
>>3013495
yes. The Macbook is still on intel's last generation of processors. While the performance difference isn't HUGE, the new processor in the XPS is much more power efficient and will give you a longer battery life.

Also the big bonus is the XPS comes with a GTX 1050 which will help with rendering and playback of 4k and output to 4k monitors if you want. You could also play most games with it in 1080p if you're into that.
>>
>>3013353
I don't edit on a laptop. The OP was asking for a laptop. Some people travel and edit in hotel rooms and have an actual need for one however.
>>
>>3013506
I edit on a laptop because I'm in uni in another country from home.
It's slow at times, and render times are atrocious, but it gets the job done.
>>
Anyone here use AVID?
>>
>>3013574
Yes
>>
>>3013574
No
>>
>>3013574
Maybe
>>
>>3013574
I don't know
>>
>>3013644
>>3013647
>>3013660
>>3013676
kill yourself
>>
>Canon T6s (760D)
>Canon 70D
>Canon 80D
>Nikon D5500
>Nikon D7100/7200

pick one dSLR, /vid/
>>
>>3013860
get a Panasonic GX8 instead
>>
>>3013891
great camera. i got the international version for 614 dollars last year... cannot beat it at that price.
>>
>>3013891
>>3013903
what lenses do you like on it?
>>
>>3012209
anyone?
>>
>>3013928
i just got the weather sealed 12-60 with is for it. the in body is and the lens is add up to make produce some reasonably stable video.
>>
>>3013891
>not G85
What's the matter? do you hate weather sealing, good ergonomics, DUAL-IS or the Microphone port?
>>
One thing to point out in the 'what laptop to get' debate.

Do keep in mind that while Mac's are technically worse than a purpose-built non-Mac, you can only export ProRes out of Macs (or Mac softwRe at least), and ProRes is the defacto industry standard for mid-range productions, even some high end productions.

Of course DNxHD and DNxHR are perfectly good stand-ins, but some clients are really anal about these things and will prefer to just get another person for the job if you can't deliver ProRes on return.

This is kind of the same situation as the Alexa-RED issue. Technically RED makes the best cameras on the market right now, but Alexa has more brand recognition, I know people who get jobs out of their second-hand first gen Alexas just cause higher-ups don't really care about technicalities, they just want to be able to say 'our project is high quality, it was shot on an Alexa'.

So keep that in mind too when buying things, of you want to get jobs out of it and not just do it for yourself.
>>
>>3014216
is ProRes on windows not possible at all or do you just need to pay for it or something?

also is it true that even weaker macs are super well opitimised to FCPX, to the extent that they perform better than high-end PCs with Premiere etc?
>>
>>3013891
that's not a dslr

>>3013860
canon 80d, easy
>>
>>3014216
>This is kind of the same situation as the Alexa-RED issue. Technically RED makes the best cameras on the market right now, but Alexa has more brand recognition, I know people who get jobs out of their second-hand first gen Alexas just cause higher-ups don't really care about technicalities, they just want to be able to say 'our project is high quality, it was shot on an Alexa'.
That's such bullshit (not you, the fact that this is the case)
Fucking indie short films with budgets of only a couple of grand are shot on Arris.
I would be infinitely more impressed if I heard that a film was shot on a RED. Everything is shot on Arri, it's boring and stupid.
/rant

[also, if i was ever in the position of being a freelance dp who owned his own camera, I'd buy a RED and politely explain to any potential employer why I don't use Arri - they might not hire me, but any jobs I did get would be jobs where they were willing to actually listen to the advice of the people working with the gear]
>>
>>3014225
You can import and edit in ProRes on Windows (provided you have Quicktime indtalled), but you can NOT export ProRes on windows from any program or under any circumstance.

Pseaking of which, Apple has anounced a couple of months back thst it no longer dupports Quicktime updates on Windows at all, meaning at some point in the future you might not be able to even read ProRes anymore, if they do any updates or something specifically to corner the market more.

>>3014240
Yes, I've also seen indie films, and even shorts where people want to shoot Arri, spending all that money and then not having enough to rent the needed lighting kit (the biggest mistake) or just simple things like grip gear or things to ensure health and safety.

That said, I was on a shoot a couple of days ago that was extremely simple, 2 characters, a couple of locations, all interiors and simple shots, which the director and DP insisted be shot on a RED Dragon in 6K. I think the finished short will be something like 10 minutes or less and in 3 days of shooting they acquired about 2 terabytes of RED Raw footage. Why? I don't know.

[I too would buy a RED if i had unlimited money. If i had limited but good money I'd buy an FS7]
>>
>>3014371
>If i had limited but good money I'd buy an FS7
why an fs7 over a c300?
>>
>>3014443
I like the look of S-log over C-log (I generally dislike Canon's look right out of camera anyway), the codecs in the FS7 are better imo, as are the overall features compared to the C300 (good slo-mo when needed for example).

Also I've just worked more with the FS7 and I just like how it works. The shape and button placement is nicer too if you want to go between tripod and handheld for me.

Canon has been behind the curve for a while now, it feels like spending money on their cameras is a waste in a way. Note also that the C300 is about 3k more expensive than the FS7 for no particular reason, feature-wise.
>>
>>3014216
>>3014240
>>3014371
>>3014537
blahblablah
>>
Does /vid/ do anything but talk about gear?

How many of you want to be film directors?

How many have directed a short?

How many know how to block a scene?

How many make sure there's no unmotivated camera movement in their shots and edits?

How many have a safety blanket of excessive coverage?

How many pay attention to transitions from scene to scene?

How many story board?

And if you all do know these things and do them, why is the only thing you talk about $5,000+ cameras you'll never own and color grading techniques?
>>
r8 my videos I just made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUw7EzM_Wi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgfJVpgCXnE&t=2s
>>
>>3014931
a drone is a great tool, but you can't rely on it for everything. and don't readjust the camera mid shot. It's jarring.
>>
>>3014934
>and don't readjust the camera mid shot. It's jarring.
I hear ya, second video was shit out in 10 minutes, first video I tried to address the jarring movements of the fireworks video.
>>
>>3014942
>video was shit out in 10 minutes,
Then don't post it here asking for critique.
>>
>>3014930
>Does /vid/ do anything but talk about gear?
Occasionally, but rarely. This thread includes videographers-for-hire and professionals who can't talk about their work much

>How many of you want to be film directors?
I do, but see above

>How many have directed a short?
I have, but see above

>How many know how to block a scene?
I like to think I do

>How many make sure there's no unmotivated camera movement in their shots and edits?
Again, I like to think I do

>How many have a safety blanket of excessive coverage?
I definitely do this, and it's never enough...

>How many pay attention to transitions from scene to scene?
Depends. I'm doing it more these days, but I'm still mostly focused on the scene at hand

>How many story board?
Depends how much time I' spending on the project. But yes, I prefer to do this

>And if you all do know these things and do them, why is the only thing you talk about $5,000+ cameras you'll never own and color grading techniques?
We talk more about cameras between $700-$5000 than others, but occasionally talk about reds and arris. Most people who work professional have worked with one of these before - myself included and I never went to film school and barely qualify as professional.
Colour-grading techniques are ridicuously important at every level. If you care about the image you're shooting, you should be grading it - whether shot on a phone or a $600 dslr or a red dragon
The only time I haven't graded recently was for a job where I knew that efficiency was more important and where it was a promotional video. So I just used an in-camera look. (and even there, I had to do a minor correction on one of the shots because the lighting was too harsh and made it look too dramatic)

Since you're clearly not happy with our discussion, why not try talking about something you want to discuss here?
>>
>>3014948
>why not try talking about something you want to discuss here?
I'll give you a few options

Stephen Soderbergh has used almost all available light since he switched to digital.

Michelangelo Antonioni hates diegetic music because he feels it is so often uses to cover up lazy direction or emotionless scenes.

John Ford shot almost nothing more than he needed so that he could force studio editors to put together the movie the way he envisioned it.

Chris Marker made La Jette with a photo enlarger and a 35mm camera that he borrowed for a few hours one day. He made Sans Soleil with a 16mm camera that didn't have synch sound.

Ozu used one lens (50mm) and a static camera for almost every shot in his career. He violates the 180° rule constantly but because he keeps the geography of the room so clear, the audience never gets confused.

Fellini had a saying, "the film you are making is better than the one you aren't."
>>
>>3014946
Eh? Just because I shit it out doesn't make it not worth sharing, I got like 8000 views, 500 shares and 400+ reactions on Facebook for that video
>>
>>3014961
those are topics, you have to begin the discussion
voice an opinion, don't just state facts
>>
>>3014985
If you can't understand the implied opinion based on the facts I bring up, I don't know what to tell you but I'll try.

You must stop with all this dithering, with this constant gear obsession. They do nothing but distract you. If you can't make a good film with a 500 dollar camera, you aren't going to make one with a $5,000 camera. You don't need a drone, or a Steadicam. You don't need softbox lighting.

Most of you that want to do narrative film need to read literature and actually write things. And if you just want to direct, you have to know how to construct a scene so that you can get everything in a master. Not that you have to do that for every scene but if you are incapable of producing a moving master that works effectively as a self contained scene you need to go back to the drawing board.
>>
>>3015011
>You must stop with all this dithering, with this constant gear obsession. They do nothing but distract you. If you can't make a good film with a 500 dollar camera, you aren't going to make one with a $5,000 camera. You don't need a drone, or a Steadicam. You don't need softbox lighting.
Gear discussion is very important. Since using an external recorder, which I only discovered due to this thread, my sound is exponentially better.
Having a camera with video-autofocus allows me to use a flycam without an AC on set to help me.
Higher resolutions allow you to reframe your shot in post.

>Most of you that want to do narrative film need to read literature and actually write things. And if you just want to direct, you have to know how to construct a scene so that you can get everything in a master. Not that you have to do that for every scene but if you are incapable of producing a moving master that works effectively as a self contained scene you need to go back to the drawing board.
Well considering you haven't seen most of our work, this is very presumptuous on your behalf. I'll reiterate; a lot of people in this thread work as professionals.
There's more to video-recording than indie filmmaking.
Myself, I read and write constantly. It's very misguided to assume that all we do in our lives is post about gear on /p/. Not to be offensive, but are you autistic? You seem very upset for some reason
>>
>>3015047
Gear discussion is useful when you're first starting out but not much actually needs to be said.

>Higher resolutions allow you to reframe your shot in post.
How about you frame your shots correctly on site? I'm sure it's nice to have that ability but it's just a luxury.

>Well considering you haven't seen most of our work, this is very presumptuous on your behalf.
I have seen plenty of work from these threads. I am fully aware that most people here are paid "professionals". But your getting paid doesn't mean you're good. Are you shooting to do corporate publicity videos your entire life? You show it to the company or the client, they know fuck all about film but they're pleased so you think, "Hey, I'm decent at this", And you never grow.

>You seem very upset for some reason
I am upset because this board, just like every other board of 4chan, is obsessed with buying things. On /lit/ you get stack threads, but no one actually reads, on /tv/ you get threads of people with top 10 lists but no one can actually discuss, on /k/ everyone just posts pictures of their guns as if they were fashion accessories, and then you have here where people buy and talk about gear much more than they post and critique photos and videos.

I understand why it happens. It's easy to spend a little money. You have things to say, now. There are other people with money that want that feeling too and you, yes YOU, can tell them what to buy. It's great! Except it isn't because it's mostly just people buying shit they don't need and won't use. Even if they do use it, make something and post it here, there's no one capable of actually offering critique and besides, you never wanted to be critiqued in the first place. That might not make you feel as good as you did when you bought your new camera or microphone and the world seemed brand new, all opportunities open.

Nah, I'm not autistic. I just hate seeing film die and this attitude is the main reason for it.
>>
>>3015071
>How about you frame your shots correctly on site? I'm sure it's nice to have that ability but it's just a luxury.
Yes, but it lets people do better work. Why not all film with our phones if you want us to deny better technology?

>I have seen plenty of work from these threads. I am fully aware that most people here are paid "professionals". But your getting paid doesn't mean you're good. Are you shooting to do corporate publicity videos your entire life? You show it to the company or the client, they know fuck all about film but they're pleased so you think, "Hey, I'm decent at this", And you never grow.
That seems like a hell of a generalisation based on nothing

>I am upset because this board, just like every other board of 4chan, is obsessed with buying things.
Maybe you shouldn't be on 4chan then
It's easier to talk about gear than an extremely subjective, personal aspect such as how to frame your shots. On top of that, threads in /p/ focusing on photography technique are applicable anyway
If you want to talk about something else, but all means, talk about something else
But don't get upset that people aren't talking what you think they should be talking about

Film isn't dying because of this thread, what a stupid statement. If you'd ever been on a professional set, you'd know that the majority of people on set have no clue as to the technical-aspect of film production, nor do they care. If more people appreciated the technicalities then maybe every fucking film wouldn't be shot on an Arri.
Maybe we wouldn't still get slow-motion in blockbuster films where they've halved the framerate of 24p footage. Maybe I wouldn't be able to see an abundance of noise in the shadows in the cinema.

Like every other neckbeard here, you just want to complain because actually doing something is hard. Ironic considering your position
>>
>>3014930
You are so painful. Please go be a phony wannabe somewhere else (pro-tip: facebook).
>>
>>3014931
3/10
>>
>>3015080
>Yes, but it lets people do better work.
No it doesn't. When has recropping something a little turned a shit scene into a good one?

>Maybe you shouldn't be on 4chan then
4chan was better. I go back and forth with this site. I'll leave it for months then come back to see if it's changed. It usually gets worse.

>by all means, talk about something else
It's casting a stone into a river in attempt to divert it's flow. On all the boards I've mentioned, I've done this. Sometimes it works, you'll get 10 or so good posts, but then the thread dies. More often it dies with no posts. It's not as instantly gratifying.

>Film isn't dying because of this thread
It's dying because of this attitude. The attitude that what film needs is a camera that shoots 8k, one with 16 stops of dynamic range. Who cares?

>you'd know that the majority of people on set have no clue as to the technical-aspect of film production, nor do they care. If more people appreciated the technicalities then maybe every fucking film wouldn't be shot on an Arri.
>Maybe we wouldn't still get slow-motion in blockbuster films where they've halved the framerate of 24p footage. Maybe I wouldn't be able to see an abundance of noise in the shadows in the cinema
Kek, what makes you think any of that is important?

Sure if there's noise in the shadows, it likely means they don't know any of the shit I care about but if given a choice between someone that knows how to set up a scene and get everything he needs without excessive coverage using a Rebel and some rich kid with a RED that really knows how to grade footage but insists on using a slider constantly, I'd much rather see the former's film.
>>
File: 1485303463306.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1485303463306.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>3014961
>>3015011
>>3015047
>>3015071
>>3015080
most embarrising """discussion""" I've read in a while.
>>
>>3015092
I'm a wannabe, sure, but at least I'm aspiring to something.

How many people in this thread want to make David Fincher thrillers? In the film schools I've been to, 40% want to be David Fincher, 50% want to make Marvel movies and 10% or less care about film.

And sure, listen. I don't talk like this to anyone in reality, because no one likes someone that's pretentious but if no one's criticising, no one is being harsh, no one is holding anyone to higher standard, then what the fuck are we doing?

PTA is in the OP. He would hate what I'm saying right now. He's a real man of the people when it comes to this argument. Sometimes I feel the same way he does, but we don't need more people on that side. That's the consensus. I'm going to be on the other side.

When the fear is that something is either too banal or too pretentious, most people show caution and steer toward banality. I'd much rather end up pretentious.
>>
>>3015097
>No it doesn't. When has recropping something a little turned a shit scene into a good one?
Ask Fincher, he does it all the time.
In fact, fuck that, I've saved hundreds of shots by using minor crops when something messes up (like a pedestrian or sign pops into shot for a couple of frames)

>It's casting a stone into a river in attempt to divert it's flow. On all the boards I've mentioned, I've done this. Sometimes it works, you'll get 10 or so good posts, but then the thread dies. More often it dies with no posts. It's not as instantly gratifying.
I don't get what you're saying?
Why are you complaining if you know it's fruitless? Do you just want everyone to acknowledge how above it all you totally are despite the fact you still post?
Either start a decent conversation or fuck off. Entering just to say everything's shit makes you come off as an edgy teenager

>>3015100
Great input
>>
>>3015106
ok
>>
>>3015126
>Ask Fincher, he does it all the time.
Yeah, I know. I've seen the some of the footage he's done it to. I like fincher fine but he's taking shots that are already 96% there and making them perfect. Nothing wrong with that, but you don't NEED it. It's not going to make you a better filmmaker because of it.

>Why are you complaining if you know it's fruitless?
Why did Sisyphus keep rolling the boulder up the hill. Why do we do a anything? I felt like it.

Look, I'm pissing you off. That's good. I assume you saw and enjoyed Whiplash. Do you feel that JK Simmons character went too far?
>>
File: HC-VX981.png (1B, 486x500px)
HC-VX981.png
1B, 486x500px
I was interested in buying a Panasonic HC-VX981K in the future.
Is this a good idea or a bad idea? I see in the sticky that DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are recommended, but I've also read that dedicated camcorders are better if you plan to primarily shoot for video. I suppose the fact that DSLRs have been used to shoot professional movies is a plus for them, but I'd still like to hear what the rest of you have to say.
>>
>>3015268
for that Price you can get a Lumix G7 with a kitlens
if you dont mind that one can easily see that you shot with a camcorder, then no problem, go for it.
DSLR/DSLM/MILCs are mostly used because of interchangeable lenses
>>
>>3015268
>>3015276
Hell, you can get a G85 for that price, slap an old manual Lens with an adapter on it, and have a pretty damnd ecent machine, complete with weather sealing and magnesium housing.
The problem with camcorder sis, that you have nowhere to go afterwards. you wont be able to take teleshots if you suddenly want to, you wont be able to do Macro, get a brighter lens, etc. you're locked in.
And I was amazed how much fun photography was as well.
>>
>>3015276
>>3015278
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll go DSLR/mirrorless, mostly for how switching lenses is more versatile. Possibly the G7.
>>
>>3015283
I'm looking at two different kits on Amazon for the Lumix G7. When I'm ready to buy, should I go for the 14-140mm kit or the 14-42mm kit? I'm honestly not that versed on how lenses work.

I'm stupid like that.
>>
>>3013860
80d
>>
Anyone else find themselves shooting more and more on their phone? Now they can do 4K, 240fps, 50mm lenses, OIS, Log profiles etc. I'm finding mine perfect for stuff like stock, travel & B-cam.

If only they started incorporating larger sensor sizes... One can dream, right?
>>
>>3015356
panasonic 12-35 2.8
>>
>>3014136
gx8 has dual is is weather sealed and has a mic port and feels better in the hand..
>>
>>3015464
For my most recent short, I shot a couple of minutes on my phone in the supermarket. I assumed they wouldn't have been happy with me lugging a DSLR around
A phone is just that little bit more conspicuous that it really helps with guerilla filmmaking
>>
>>3015473
>panasonic 12-35 2.8
Looks nice. Pricy, but nice.
I'll add it to a list of lenses I should buy after getting the main kit. Speaking of which, you didn't actually answer my question.

But again, it's a lens I could use in the future. Any other lenses I should consider?
>>
So guys I have a few questions about RAW recording. And I don't really know where to look to find answers.
Is there a RAW video filetype? Or is RAW always recorded as a series of still images that you have to transcode yourself?
Related to that, is it possible to record sound with RAW video or does it always "need" an external sound recorder.

I also hear that a lot of professional cinema cameras don't record RAW internally and that they need an external recorder for that - hence one of the reasons that blackmagic cameras are so revolutionary. Does the Arri Alexa record RAW internally?
How good is RAW on the 5dmkiii? Can you rescue severely underexposed shots?

I've never dealt with it before, but I'm becoming more and more curious
>>
>>3015570
For the first question, RED cameras for example record in REDCode RAW which uses their own compression algorithm to slightly (or not so slightly depending on the setting) compress RAW into a proper video. You can record from 3:1 compression (which is, for all intents and purposes, lossless) to 18:1. And you can record sound at the same time of course.

Some pro cameras do record RAW (all REDs, Alexa65 and i think AlexaXT as well, maybe Sony F65 but not sure), some don't. The original Alexa doesn't record RAW for example, only 4444.

So Blackmagic cameras are only good in the sense that you get RAW for cheap, but the quality of the sensors is so-so. Compared to the RAW you get out of a RED for example. Same goes for 5D.

About underexposure, you should think about it differently with RAW. RAW just records the entire capability of the sensor at once, but you can still underexpose and fuck it up. If you bring gain into it in post it will still get noisy, you only have more leeway. Really what RAW is best for is color, because since there is little to no compression, gradients are smoother and you really capture as many colors as the sensor can handle. One of the issues with the 'digital' look of DSLR's is that because of low MB/s compression a lot of color information is thrown away. RAW bitrates are extremely high (hence the hige file sizes) and so it has huge information retention
>>
>>3015593
this was extremely informative, thank you very much
>>
I just got the Panasonic g85. im not looking for a good lens for video. im have been looking on youtube and i notice all the zoom lens are ass for video unless i spend like a grand.

i dont want to spend a grand on glass right now the camera cost me a grand and i got the 25mm f1.7

but i would like a wider lens to get landscape shots and would like a lens that has IS in the lens is there a wide angle Panasonic lens for around 300 that i can hand hold and not get shit video?
>>
>>3015720
i meant to type IM NOW LOOKING FOR A GOOD LENS FOR VIDEO
>>
>>3015723
Lumix 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 pencake is the narrowest FL for MFT with OIS
>>
help me out pls /vid/ (more Lumix discussion btw)

>>3016013
>>
>>3015593
Do you mind if I include this in the sticky?
>>
>>3016232
Just assume that all anonymous posts on imageboards are copyrighted and the author is willing to sue to protect their IP.
>>
>>3016232
include it away my man
>>
>>3016318
Cheers man.

Newest sticky update
http://pastebin.com/WajU1V5d
Once again, everyone feel free to tell me how shit is
>>
Dumb question:

I have a D800 and some good lenses.

Could I (realistically) use it for video? What are the basic necessities for a film-making setup?

I guess I need a good microphone at the very least.
Some dark filters (shooting video in broad daylight makes everything completely white, no matter what F stop I'm at)
A cheap dolly?

Thanks
>>
>>3016970
>shooting video in broad daylight makes everything completely white, no matter what F stop I'm at
iso100, shutter speed at 1/60, aperture f/10 should be usable footage
>>
>>3016988
It isn't. Not even remotely.
Maybe something's wrong with my camera?
Works fine for stills
>>
>>3016989
that seems quite weird
where do you live? do you live in like miami or south africa or somewhere where the sun is super fucking bright?
>>
>>3017010
Norway, so yeah, it's weird.
The images are fine and all, it just gets overblown to fuck if there's any bright light at all.
I'd show you, but I don't have the camera with me right now.
>>
>>3017011
Are your exposure comp settings properly adjusted? Is the camera set to manual mode when you're shooting video?

Next time you have it, do a test, try putting the shutter speed on 1/150 of a second. If it's still overexposed, then something's fucking up
>>
>>3017017
I don't think I can set the shutter speed, actually.
It's either 30FPS or 60FPS (also maybe 24?)

It's been a while since I tested it, but I think the shutter speed was unchangeable.
>>
I don't know if the thing I'm asking for exists, but I figure it won't hurt to ask.

I'm looking for an external video recorder similar to the Atomos Ninja 2 for my 5d mkiii. I hate having to synch audio and video in post production for some situations but I also need one that accepts XLR inputs like the way too expensive Shogun, I also want it to accept CF cards as I don't want to change storage mediums to SSDs after owning tons of CF cards. The bonus is that this could also replace my shitty monitor.

Does this exist?
>>
>>3017724
>Does this exist?
Yes
>>
>>3017757
What's it called?
>>
>>3011360
Friendly reminder a shit MBP renders footage on FCPX much faster than a good notebook on Premiere.
>>
>>3011371
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P5UWEKSUXo
>>
>>3017781
no idea
>>
>>3017800
maybe. but this is because premiere is shit, not because apple would be any good. you deluded sheep.
>>
>>3017899
how is premiere shit? I edit in it and it's pretty good (I had some occasional graphical glitches with the interface but nothign serious).
are you bitching about rendering times? cause on my PC they're pretty good, but I also worked with it on an iMac and it was absolutely atrocious.
>>
>>3017914
It has major design flaws. And I'm talking about program design. It is designed for usability, which makes it inlogical to use for pros and makes it slow to no end. If you know what you're doing you can get a more or less slim workflow, but still even only the library overhead fucks performance.
The great semi-pros and local advertisement producers try to compensate it with hardware, but end in deadend circle since they immediately waste the performance by using more gimmicks (and/or even more stupud workfliws) and end up slow again.

The only sane way is to drop usability and learn how a proper workflow is set up. Then use a software which is designed for performance. Period.

>inb4 blahblahblahblahblah
>>
>>3017914
Your PC probably has better hardware. If you get a Mac with an equivalent hardware FCPX will render faster, always.
Also afaik you can't export ProRes on it.
Also, render times are important, don't act like it's "bitching" and a gimmick just because it doesn't matter for your personal workflow.
>>3017899
Premiere isn't really shit it just isn't GREAT.
It's not supposed to be industry standard shit like AVID and DaVinci anyways.
>>
>>3017919
I can see where you're coming from and I agree on some points.
I've only done what can be considered short projects in it up to this point, i.e. short films, ads, music videos. basically nothing that requires the amount of work a feature length film would ensue for example.
I'm wondering if when you talk about workflows you're refering to the UI layout of the program, cause it has several pre-made like for assembly, editing, color correction etc. I personally find the color correction/grading one to be a bit annoying seeing as how I still have to customize it a bit and put the scopes where I want them and have the files arranged and shit.
I also kinda hate how it handles files desu, a lot of time is wasted on sorting files and going through them and everything.
But I'm shallow and I like how premiere CC looks as opposed to final cut so my childish wants and needs overcome some of the faults I guess.

>>3017921
I built a PC on the cheap but pretty much so I have it for editing.
I have: intel core i7 skylake (the not OCd one), MSI motherboard, nvidia 1070GTX 8GB RAM, 16GB DDR4 RAM (planning on going up to 32 eventually). a 1 TB HDD and a 250GB SSD for windows and all the programs.
the whole thing cost me around 1200 euros (around $1400?), and I basically started off with a gaming build knowing that the GPU will be good enough for editing and then just went for a better processor for what I want (the i7 as opposed to i5).
I also compose music in cubase on this build so it's got me covered on both ends.
>>
>>3017919
well the coen brothers and david fincher don't agree so your comment about its "flaws" is just your opinion.... which i value less than the opinions of the editors of those two films and myself.
>>
SONY VEGAS 4 LYFE
>>
I like Premiere, but I question why they felt it necessary to screw over piracy by screwing over everybody with their cloud-based programs.

Actually, are Creative Cloud programs even piracy-proof?
>>
>>3018005
nope
>>
>>3018006
Shit, and here I am thinking CS6 was the last free bastion of humanity.
>>
>>3017921
Of course you can export ProRes out of Premiere, as long as you're doing it off a Mac.

Also Premiere is excellent editing software, I don't know what people here are talking about. Premiere and AVID are the 2 de facto industry standards, nobody uses FCP as far as i know.
>>
>>3017984
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME FUCKING FUCK FUCKER ?
>>
Is the Blackmagic Ursa mini (4k) still considered a good professional option?

Any personal experiences with it?
>>
Hey fellas, I'm buying a new computer, and I just wanted to ask, which components are the most important for video editing? GPU? 2gb vs 4gb?
How much RAM do I need?
Will a 2.9ghz quadcore i7 make a big difference over a 2.7ghz one?

please help a brother out, thanks
>>
>>3018192
or maybe i'll save £160 vs the 2.9ghz and go with a 2.6ghz?
>>
>>3018192
get a minimum of 16GB of preferably fast RAM (ddr4) (32GB would be preferable eventually)
core i7 for hyperthreading
get a good gaming GPU, preferably nvidia if you're not a poorfag, otherwise go with radeon since they offer some cheaper solutions, but prepare to take care of the overheating and potentially constant problems due to drivers.
also, in case you're going with radeon you might also consider a different kind of CPU instead of intel, although it shouldn't bottleneck it, but just to be safe.
>>
>>3018222
im looking at the amd 460 4gb desu
>>
>>3018224
what's your budget for this build?
also, does the build include a full setup with keyboard+mouse, monitor, cables, sound system?
or are you just building the tower?
>>
>>3018192
I specced out my system and bought everything on sale and got a fully silent pc.
i7 6700k an ultra silent heatsink that allows me to oc the chip 32gbs of fast low latency ram a samsung m.2 sata ssd running in rapid mode which is not possible with the pci based ssds gtx 1060 with 6gbs of vram with fans that cut out. with a silent seasonic psu and a sound insulated case all for exactly 999 dollars including taxes. The only thing i woudl recommend different to the build i have is that if you can afford it get a better gpu and go x99 and 2011 route. The bigger the chip the better.
>>
>>3018230
you shouldn't have jewed out and bought the GTX 1070 like me, get dat nice 8GB
>>
>>3018232
2 poor
>>
>>3018229
>>3018230
it's a macbook pro :^))))
1 tb ssd, 4gb amb 460, 2.7ghz i7 quadcore
>>
>>3018181
Magenta issue + shitty low light + FPN.

I don't know if with the news updates the cam is now usable for production.
>>
>>3018241
thats not good enough and it costs too much.
>>
>>3018241
>macbook
if you plan on doing 2 minute shorts or budget music videos maybe
for anything else you're pretty much fucked
>>
>>3018416
>>3018429
why
>>
>>3018557
if you have to ask you should probably just buy the macbook and edit your dslr/cellphone videos and be happy.
>>
File: 1482881036060.jpg (21KB, 557x456px) Image search: [Google]
1482881036060.jpg
21KB, 557x456px
>>3018559
kek
>>
>>3018559
gr8 reply, thanks, really helpfull
>>
File: Immagine.png (10KB, 591x203px)
Immagine.png
10KB, 591x203px
>Browsing Video FX during editing
>crashes everytime

Why is happening?
>>
>>3018577
>VEGAS PRO
shit man, I don't know, it's a goddamn mystery
>>
>>3018579
What could I use instead?
>>
>>3018579
I want to say premiere pro CC but the memes are strong in this thread.
but yeah, either premiere pro or avid.
>>
>>3018577
the first fault is to use a software based on openfx. as much as I like open-source, openfx is simply shit. so forget vegas and davinci avid ds and all that crap which tried to avoid the efford of developing an own and sane library.

>>3018593
premiere is also shit as mentioned above. for reasons.
>>
>>3018597
mate you seem to be fucked in the head
>lmao everything is shit just stop editing
>might as well not offer any other solution

there's nothing wrong with premiere, if you hate it, you most probably suck at it.
feel free to offer legitimate reasons for why premiere is shit
>inb4 you can't
>>
>>3018593
I'll go for avid, as I'm not into monthly payment
>>
>>3018600
see above. don't go on my nerves with your ignorance. clueless moron.
>>
>>3018619
have you ever edited anything in your life you piece of shit?
let me rephrase that, have you ever edited anything of worth?
I'm guessing not since you post on a fucking chinese cartoon image board and being all pretentious like the little shit your mom raised you to be you fucking faggot.

you didn't fucking say anything """"above""", either learn to speak and express yourself clearly or kill yourself.
"it's shit" is not helpful to anyone. you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
goddamn how you managed to infuriate me with your faggotry you stupid fuck
>>
>>3018621
you are what's wrong with this world. you and everybody like you. uneducated, unexperienced, clueless and ignorant but at the same time thinking you would be god's own gift to the world.
as a matter of fact you are a pathetic loser and god to thank chances are incredibly high you will remain a pathetic loser your whole life. that's a relieve. you deserve being the sheep you are.

3rd time: LOOK ABOVE! you're too stupid? let me help you .. (this is like reeeeaaallly difficult):

>>3017919

(huh .. so much effort)

there you can find my original statement why premiere is shit (among other reasons which are not listed there) and which I denied to repeat just for you big ape who is too stupid to scroll up.

Furthermore, I believe you enjoy to lick creamy cocks which came freshly out of your mom's pussy. I'm pretty sure about that. But you might try to convince me of the opposite.
>>
>everyone's favourite NLEs are shit

Cool, glad we got that one out of the way. Can we all go back to editing on whatever works for us now? If any newfags enter asking for recommendations, can we stop pretending that there's an objectively best one and just give them a list of all of them (and maybe point them towards DaVinci or lightworks since they're free)?

It's not like any of us are editing feature films, and if we are then we should have power-house computers and entire teams that mandate how everything is edited anyway
>>
>>3018827
you are legit retarded mate.
I'm not even saying it as an insult, you quite literally need professional help. Go visit a therapist.

In your original statement you only stated "muh feels" and why YOU think premiere is not good because YOU personally have a problem with it.
And like I said, if you suck at a program that doesn't make the program shit.

If you call people ignorant you don't automatically win btw you stupid child.
I hope things work our for you in life with this attitude
>I hate this and this and the only reasons I give for it are that I personally don't like it
>everyone who disagrees with me is ignorant and is what's wrong with the world
>why am I surrounded by idiots and why don't people understand me when I spout autism

^ that's you. kys
>>
>>3011276
Bump, nobody knows..?
>>
>>3018874
I don't know brah, sorry
>>
>>3018873
>premiere is designed for usability
>premiere has a huge library overhead
>vegas, davinci, avid are based on openfx
>openfx is known for issues and performance problems

... right ... it's just like my OPINION (don't forget the caps lock), man. I provided no argument.

Just in opposite to you. Since your statements were full of decent arguments and fine logic. .. I'm such a pleb.
>>
File: 1486138183643.jpg (76KB, 500x492px)
1486138183643.jpg
76KB, 500x492px
>>3018909
just... jesus christ
ok man, go back to your bubble... holy fuck
>>
>>3018909
I'm confused
You said premiere was shit and had performance issues due to its library overhead issues, but here you say that vegas and davinci are the ones with performance problems due to their use of openfx?
>>
>>3018924
he suffers from brain damage, leave him be.
he legitimately believes I have something against him when he keeps on spouting non-sense.
he'll call you an ignorant in a second for not understanding his backwards thinking, just you wait
>>
>>3018924
it's worse: they are all shit but for different reasons.
>>
>>3018921
>>3018928
now I got you. your inferior intelligence makes you aggressive. that's okay, lil monkey, one day you might play with the big guys. just be patient and learn.
>>
>>3019048
I wish I could find you in real life so I could beat the everloving shit out of you for being such a gigantic fucking faggot
>>
>>3019058
kek, three words: q.e.d.

(sorry, I know that was too intellectual for you, but still .. I kek'd)
>>
>>3019047
so should we just refuse to do any editing until a /vid/-certified non-shit editor is released?
>>
Holy shit /vid/!!
WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE KINEFINITY 5K?!

https://www.cinema5d.com/kinefinity-terra-5k6k-a-closer-look-at-the-chinese-mini-cinema-camera/
>5k raw 60fps
>4k 100 fps
>~$5,000 ($6,000 for the 6k version)
>fucking tiny

This is like the new blackmagic, why has noone mentioned this?
>>
>>3019213
Also
>global shutter on 5k model that can be enabled or disabled
>13 stops of dynamic range with GS enabled, 15 stops with rolling shutter
>ef mount available
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71ZzE7_HKM

Only thing is that its chinese so if it breaks down... yeah...
Still, for those who want a budget RED
>>
>>3019213
It's just a fucking camera and I want a fucking good story, not a camera.
>>
>>3019213
>>3019227
I mentioned kinefinity a few times, even started /vid/ general threads with a picture of their products.
For some reason nobody seems to be interested in this brand. I guess this is related to it being a chinese company but for that quite expensive. Also they have a weak retail network.
Personally I dislike their add-a-feature-politics. The base version feels like to rudimentary but the complete version feels too expensive.

The actual question is why nobody talks about the aja cion. that's a hell of a camera. but yeah, people here want a shitty dslr and premiere. we are surrounded by medicore plebs.
>>
>>3019241
>we are surrounded by medicore plebs
I think you mean medicore nomoney plebs
>>
>>3019241
>we are surrounded by medicore plebs.
Ok little smart Spielberg, let share your Art with us. I'm sure we have a lot to learn from you.
>>
>>3010961
I miss the old sticky, I found the list of cameras and brief descriptions very helpful.

The new sticky is looking good though, it seems more thorough.
>>
>>3019446
That one is slightly out of date since it gets updated every few days
http://pastebin.com/WajU1V5d

The old sticky was removed since it was a google doc that no one could access. And then we went like 2 or 3 threads with no sticky.
>>
>>3019241
I'll try to explain why Aja and Kinefinity won't take off. I think it's basically because they have no niche in the market. Many starting filmmakers won't spend that much on a camera, and if they were to get something like that they wouldn't know how to use all the feautres anyway. Middle-ground people are covered by basically all the big companies since they all make some kind of camera in the 4-12k area (all Blackmagics, Canon C100/300, Sony FS5/7, people buyingg second hand OG Alexas, etc), all brands that have international recognition and which you can get serviced if something goes wrong. And then you have actual pros who make enough money that if they wanted to buy a camera they could get an Alexa Mini, a RED, a Varicam, etc.

So who are these cameras for? All the info specs are in chinese, who knows at what quality the sensors are manufacured and what the build quality is... The CION has nice features but at that price range do you want an APS-C sensor as opposed to super35, and do you want 320 native ISO like a DSLR? I don't know, I'd think twice about it.

This is kind of the problem with buying as opposed to renting cameras. Realistically your options are either buy something in the Blackmagic-FS7 area price range and use it for your own shoots and small stuff, or spend 20k for a RED and start applying for car commercials. Yes the Kinefinity can do 5k this and that, but good luck convincing a producer to use it when he's got 5 people with a RED and another 10 with an Alexa applying for the job. If you're gonna spend money on stuff might as well spend it on something with a bit of traction, at least something like an FS7 that has some industry recognition.

Btw i'm speaking here as someone who works in film in the UK, maybe in other places it's different
>>
>>3019241
>the aja cion
>just over 8 stops of dynamic range
>30 seconds boot-up time
>shit menus
>around the same price as an ursa mini 4.6k
>literally who brand

Yeah.. I can't imagine why no one talks about it...
>>
What options are there for a camera to shoot video and half decent stills in dusty conditions for <$1000?

I've read the sticky and there is no obvious answer there.

Second hand GH3 looked promising until I saw that there are no particularly cheap lenses that claim any sort of weather sealing.
>>
>>3019615
Without any experience myself, I'd advocate looking at camcorders (such as the canon legria or sony cx625, for example) or else, a high-end bridge camera (panasonic has a few)

In general, as long as you're not swapping out lenses or dipping your camera into a bowl full of dust, you'll probably be alright
>>
>>3019644
I'm talking about conditions that got dust inside the LCD of a 'weather sealed' 5D iii, so any sort of bridge cam that sucks air through its lens every time you turn it on is going to end up full of crap.
>>
>>3019652
what conditions are we talking?
are you shooting in a recently-excavated egyptian tomb or something?
>>
>>3019656
Jeep trekking in the middle east.
>>
>>3019228
no one will watch your "good story" if the technical elements of your film are inept

camera choices are important
>>
>>3019644
bridge cameras typically have zoom lenses which work like a pump to suck in dust
>>
Odd question but if anyone has any input or advice I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm intending to film a short sequence of desk and chairs on fire being kicked about, what are the best ways to create visible, high flames for shooting and what kind of ways should I be preparing to get maximum coverage for this one time shot?

I will have access to a GH2 (kit lens), GH4 (Speed booster / Sigma 18-35) and possibly a BMPCC.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>3019516
>FS7
>industry recognition
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3020080
For major motion pictures? No, of course not

For shorts, indies and docs? Absolutely

For the price and for the price of rental, it's an excellent choice.
>>
Is it worth getting a 4K screen on a laptop I'll be using for editing?
Does it drain the battery significantly more than a 1080p screen?
Does it make any difference for editing?
>>
>>3020309
For editing it doesn't matter (hence why you often edit with Proxy files not even the full res you shot at). For color grading maybe, but not worth the money for editing
>>
>>3020492
Fair enough, thanks
>>
anyone working on anything fun?
I have a film to finish editing but I find it hard to find the motivation amongst all the uni-work I have to do
>>
>>3021792
1st AC-ing on 2 shorts and color grading on 3 this month. It's annoying when all projects end up happening in the same period instead of being spread around, but better to work than sit around the house.

Going to start pre-production on some fashion shoots as soon as the director I want to work with comes back from vacation.
>>
>>3020080
i work at a rental house and fs-7's go out to film for major tv networks almost every week.

>>3019516
aja don't need a camera in the market. they already have a massive footing in broadcast with things like the fs-2/4's ki-pro's and their various converters/(de)embedders
>>
so after a billion years of research, I've decided to get a Sony A6500 for video and a sennheiser mke440 for audio.

What Lenses would you guys recommend for it? I want to shoot short films and music videos.

And what stabalising equipment or shoulder rigs should I get please.

Thank you!
>>
I need to film a scene of someone hanging upside down, where the camera starts upside down and rotates to upright. Is it better to do the physical action, or do the rotation in post production. I'll be filming at @1080p and outputting @1080p if that matters.
>>
>>3021879
>And what stabalising equipment or shoulder rigs should I get please.
I've been messing around with a flycam for the past 6 months and it's great
If you have more money, get a gimbal though
>>3021944
See above
Personally I wouldn't be happy with that crop on 1080 and you can do it quite easily with a flycam (or a decent tripod, or a handle)
You could even construct a device wherein a cage is connected to a gear fairly easily

I'd play about with it. But do it in post if you've no time
>>
If I'm a massive fucking faggot who just got the sony a6300 with the kit lens and a shitty amazon tripod and a camera bag what should I get next?
>>
>>3021963

Thanks for the recommendation
>>
>>3022013
a microphone
>>
>>3022013
an exit bag
>>
>>3022175
Other than audio? My film school has audio shit to borrow. However, cameras and camera gear are in short supply.
>>
>>3022206
Thanks for the advice friendo!
>>
>>3022222
an nd filter for your lens
a shoulder rig or a handle
>>
>>3022013
get a better tripod
it should be the most expensive piece of it in your arsenal
>>
>>3021944
If you're not shooting at 4k or above the end result will be blury as you will have to zoom into the picture to about 941x522 to hide missing detail. Only a quarter of 1080p will be noticeably blury. Doing it physically will be much better in this case.
>>
I'm going to be getting an a7 soon... does aynone have any examples of short films/etc that've been shot on an a7?
>>
Hi /p/

So soon i will be shooting a live session with a band and its the first time that i'm handling this type of project, any advice, method of shooting or else to give me ?
>>
>>3022598
Will you be shooting alone? How many cameras do you intend to set up? Is the intention to have the shoot be continuous or something that will be edited down later? Who will be hanlding the recording of audio?
>>
>>3022660
Yes i'm shooting alone, i have 4 cameras, it will be edited later and the band will take care of the audio itself. (Ii have 1 70D 1 700D 1 GF3 1 Xiaomi yi 1 Tripod + 1 table tripod 1 Steadycam + Lens 18-55 50mm 55-250)
>>
Not sure if this is really the best place to ask, but oh well.
I want to audition for a short film. I need to record a monologue and email it to the director. I have a DSLR camera, it's pretty nice but the audio doesn't sound all that great. Do you guys think I should spend a bunch of money on audio equipment first, or just go with it? It's a non-paying gig.
>>
>>3022772
the director won't give a shit
if it's non-paying then you've basically already got the role as long as you can half-decently act and get in contact quickly
>>
>>3022842
I've been told I'm a pretty good actor.
I still haven't decided what monologue to perform, though. It's supposed to be a dramatic film about love and loss and all that stuff, I'm thinking maybe something from The Glass Menagerie.
>>
>>3022857
That's what they WANT you to perform.
Instead, go find a monologue from a movie that nobody takes seriously and deliver that shit like you're vomiting golden rainbows.
>>
I bought an X Pro2 for stills awhile back and have recently begun trying to use it for video. While everything I see online looks OK for what the camera is (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ii2sNvvAw), all of my videos have moire/aliasing so bad they're unusable even as home video. I'm setting the camera to 1/60 of a second, ISO 400-800, 1080/24p (changing this doesn't seem to help).

What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>3022959
I don't think this is very good advice.
>>
>>3023180
The conventional approach is overplayed
You gotta think outside the box

Everyone's gonna be performing dramatic monologues. Instead, he should perform a dialogue where he plays both roles. And to make it stand out, he should add a mental deficiency to one of the characters that's not present in the original script
-make a comedy scene sad, make a smart character stupid, make a violent scene a tender scene of expressing love

That's how the greats truly stand out
>>
>>3022965
show your footage.
>>
Been doing some reading on the GH5
Apparently it's game-changing

Most importantly, perhaps, it gets a 6k anamorphic mode in a firmware update in April
https://www.cinema5d.com/panasonic-gh5-hands-on-6k-anamorphic-video-4k-60p-180fps-fhd/

We are literally at the point where consumer cameras can shoot 6k video.... a considerable number of high-end cinema cameras can't do that!
(yes I know, they shoot 4:4:4 ProRes and RAW instead)
>>
>>3023857
It's gonna be worth buying after the firmware upgrade. As it's coming out now it's good, but not reaaally worth the upgrade from a GH4. When it can do 4K at 400MB/s, absolutely
>>
I'd like to do me some learnings.

Say I'm DPing for a director that wants this highly stylized look ala Only God Forgives.

We lighted everything geling with the colors we wanted.

What happens next, in color correction and grading? Should I white balance for the tinted light? Why even light with color in the first place?
(Just in case I get some flak, this is a short film done as a learning experience, no paid gig, nothing real at stake)
>>
How important is GPU for video editing?
>>
>>3023941
If you white balance for the tinted light you'll have to add the opposite color to the whole image. If you used orange gels then process for the lit parts to be white, the rest of the image will go blue.
>>
Haven't been paying attention lately - have there been any significant advanced in gimbal technology since 2014/15? Did those small single-handed ones ever take off?
>>
>>3023956
yes
>>
>>3023974
could you elaborate on that?
>>
>>3023947
it renders faster if your software has gpu acceleration
>>
>>3023976
google.com
>>
>>3024006
useless nigger
>>
what's pta using in op's pic?
>>
File: 1468330840010.jpg (35KB, 400x583px)
1468330840010.jpg
35KB, 400x583px
In two scenarios where
1. Money isn't an issue
and
2. Money is an issue

What's the best camera/+setup for documentary filmmaking?
>>
>>3024094

c300 / fs5 / red
>>
File: 0307-Fluid-head-FSB-4.jpg (78KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0307-Fluid-head-FSB-4.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
why are sachtler tripod systems so damn expensive?
>>
>>3024114
why is everything camera related expensive?

no fucking idea m8... shady fucking business..
>>
>>3023985
significantly faster?
how much difference would a 2gb vs 4gb make?
>>
>>3024094
just buy a canon legria and shut up
or a sony random-letters-and-numbers
>>
I'm a photographer/videographer for the military. I'm getting tired of using the Mark III without Magic Lantern -- since Govt won't allow it -- and want to invest in a great setup. I was thinking either the GH4/GH5 or a6500 with a stabilizer. Not sure what to get and what would be best for fast paced grunts doing shit. I don't mind using personal gear in the field since I only shoot with Fuji for stills anyways.
>>
>>3024126
Everybody makes high-quality goods at exorbitant prices. Only the Chinese make goods at low prices of questionable quality. There's no middle-ground.
>>
>>3024141
is the difference in quality between a manfrotto and a sachtler worth the + £1000 ?
>>
>>3024145
shrug.jpg
>>
>>3023941
To take this from the start:

If you want to do something stylized and so not use any natural light, first you set your camera white balance to whatever most of your lights are (if you have mostly tungsten lights you set it to 3200K, if you have daylight Kinos, HMI or LED you set to 5600K). Then you use 'white' light wherever you need it and gel the other lights accordingly. If you're using mixed lighting keep in mind that daylight at 3200 looks blue, so you may want to correct with a full CTO and then apply your desired gel. If you're at 5600 tungsten will look orange so correct with a full CTB then apply desired gel. Remember that applying CTB will take off about 2/3 of your lights' power.

Then in color correction you just stick to whatever color temp you shot
>>
>>3024136
Get the GH5 and a stabilizer and you're set.
>>
>>3024145
you can buy a used car or build a very powerful computer for 1000 pounds.. what the fuck could they have done to a tripod for that much?
>>
>>3024387
it turns really fluidly
"really" fluidly
>>
>>3024136
>the government doesn't allow Magic Lantern
Are they high or are the cameras rentals?
>>
>>3024400
how fluidly are we talking?
>>
>>3024417
even michael j fox could operate it without there being any jerky movement
>>
>>3024420
shit...
>>
>>3024114
Expensive work force. Low demand because higher price means the price is even higher as less units are sold.
>>
>>3024402
Warranty most likely.
>>
Noob here. What kind of tripod do I want? I know I don't want a ball head, the one I'm looking at says "3-way panhead."
>>
>>3024468
ignore these people saying to spend hundreds on a tripod
get one that works for 10-20 quid
(there's a really common one from hamas that literally everyone has for some reason, for example)

a few months down the road, when you have more experience, you can decide if you need an expensive tripod
>>
>>3024475
This is kind of good advice actually.

You won't get a genuinely good tripod for a DSLR for filming for under £600, but just starting out get cheap shit and figure out if you even want to do something serious. For stuff heavier than a DSLR it's gonna be £1000+ to get genuine quality.

On the subject of tripods though, I'm currently on a shoot with a Manfrotto 519 tripod and head and the damn thing can hold a fully built Arri Amira, I was very surprised. I wouldn't recommend it cause you can't balance it properly, but still, I initialy thought it would drift off and it doesn't.
>>
>>3024515
>>
How much RAM do I need for video editing?
Is there a significant difference in 16gb vs 32gb?
>>
>>3024515
depends on what you are doing? what are you editing 1080p 4k 8? are you using after effects...would you like the option? start with 32 gigs if you are editing 1080p or maybe 4k and if you wnt to fuck around a bit with after effects
>>
>>3024531
yes, i would be doing 4k
not much advanced cgi vfx stuff, but id like to have the potential for some basic vfx like interpolation
>>
>>3014961

I agree with antonioni. Diegetic music is usually poorly used and is a cheap way to increase an emotional state in a film.
>>
I've had an instance of writers block for a while now and it's killing me. I desperately want to direct a film but I don't have any ideas, and the few i do get are impossible to make on a very small budget in NYC.
>>
>>3024548
read more books
get more life experience
>>
>>3024549
Yeah, I keep hearing about the life experience shit. I guess I gotta live more
>>
>>3024554
travel on foot for a month and you'll have enough material for a dozen films
>>
>>3024557
That's a good idea actually. I'll think about it.
>>
>>3024569
https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/09/04/werner-herzog-advice-to-filmmakers/

Herzog gives pretty based advice

>You would be allowed to submit an application only after having travelled, alone and on foot, let’s say from Madrid to Kiev, a distance of nearly two thousand miles. While walking, write about your experiences, then give me your notebooks. I would immediately be able to tell who had really walked and who had not. You would learn more about filmmaking during your journey than if you spent five years at film school. Your experiences would be the very opposite of academic knowledge, for academia is the death of cinema. Somebody who has been a boxer in Africa would be better trained as a filmmaker than if he had graduated from one of the “best” film schools in the world. All that counts is real life.
>>
>>3024582
This is valid advice, but technically it's more about story crafting than film making.

But yes, experience trumps knowledge when it comes to creativity.
>>
>>3024591

filmmaking is storycrafting my dude. there are countless of examples of movies that are technically perfect (and they better, cuz they cost a quarter of a billion to make) but are utterly forgettable failures because they have terrible stories written by soulless committee drones.
>>
>>3024519
if it's heavy on effects (after effects for example) it can come into play, or if you're working in 4K.
I have 16GB for the moment and render times are pretty good in premiere pro on windows 10 even with 4K footage.
you should get 32GB thought, don't jew out, cause if you're gonna be working on longer projects AND you know you'll have some sort of effects going that extra RAM will come in handy.
>>
>>3024603
>filmmaking is storycrafting my dude
no
>>
>>3024616
thanks, i'll go for it
>>
>>3024603
Partially, but I'm speaking from a technical standpoint.
You could have the most amazing story ever told, but if you just point the camera on your subjects at a wide angle for two hours, nobody will want to sit through it. You have to balance experience and knowledge if you want to make it as an auteur.
>>
Oh god I got this Cinegears, 2 days before principal photography begun

>the fucking Lemo-DTap broke down
>Signal degradation kicked in when the wireless boom was near the camera
>Randomly Reverses gears during takes
>No battery indicator so have to charge it every night
>Ended up sticking on my chroziel follow while the DOP was handheld lmao

Fucking miss the Preston but don't have the cash for it yet
>>
>>3024114
Most "traditional" filmmaking gear is specialized engineering and equipment for a low demand and is designed for long term use.
I got 2 Ronford Baker F4's,Tall & baby legs not highly regarded by others but hey it pays the bills
>>
>>3021792
Loader/2ndAc on a big local feature that's also understaffed,Operating on some unfun TV stuff
>>
File: bnsf.png (173KB, 640x290px) Image search: [Google]
bnsf.png
173KB, 640x290px
>>3024646
tell that to James Benning
>>
>>3024820
how much did that set you back?
>>
>>3024094
Sony a7s II with 24-70/2.8. Small, continous AF, low light. This is what you need for run and gun. And no, I never owned a Sony. Only have Canon and BM.
For budget, a GH4 with 12-35/2.8.

>>3024126
Cuz de juic want to protect dem business. Also, its consumer price. If you do business, you rent or don't pay VAT.

>>3024548
Directors direct. Screenwriters write. Maybe you better search for a collaborating screenwriter. Otherwise, steal from a short story.
>>
Bump limit reached,
new thread
>>3024985
>new thread
>>3024985
>>
>>3024549
>read more books
>life experience

Sounds like something some /lit/izen with shit taste would say
>>
>>3025065
kill yourself, pleb
>>
>>3024919
In USD?
Around 2k since it was used
>>
>>3011425
If you're strapped for ideas, I heard of one guy saying you should just write something as shitty as possible, and prove to yourself that you can be a shitty writer. I guess the idea is that writing something shitty might inspire a decent idea in your head.
>>
>>3026050
I guess the core of that hint is to tell people to finally just start writing.
>>
>>3011425
>>3011429
>>3026050
>>3026152
https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/zero-draft-thirty-2017-spring-challenge-coming-in-march-49c76a3ef586
Zero Draft Thirty is coming up next month. It's a loose challenge organized by The Blacklist's screenwriting blog, Go Into The Story, meant to get screenwriters motivated and working towards finishing a first draft of a script. Might be something to look into.
>>
https://youtu.be/I2j2sGPf8zo thoughts?
>>
>>3026436
it's something.
>>
>>3026436
Learn white balance.
Composition is very similar each shot. It gets boring.
Maybe use some camera movement.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.