[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vid/ - Video General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 50

File: vid gen o.jpg (373KB, 1073x1215px) Image search: [Google]
vid gen o.jpg
373KB, 1073x1215px
Sticky below (Still needs work)
> - READ THE STICKY IF YOU'RE NEW
http://pastebin.com/WajU1V5d

Previous thread
>>3010961

So what’s everyone working on?
Anyone got anything to share with the class?
>>
When I shot Slog2, should I overexpose my footage by two stops?
>>
>>3025023
Not really, just try not to underexpose. If you want maybe overexpose 1 stop but watch the highlights.
>>
>>3025023
>>3025095
I thought sonys retained details in the shadows and not the highlights so it was better to underexpose if you're shooting with one?
>>
Okay this could be a good place to ask. Which cheap tripod should I get for filming?

And even better, is there any okayish one on this websites first page?
http://www.canosa.com.hr/foto-tripod-69/stativi-glave-i-oprema/
>>
File: 1.jpg (221KB, 1500x1167px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
221KB, 1500x1167px
How are these used? Will I need a digital audio recorder? I don't think my DSLR camera has a slot for that cable.
>>
>>3025308
See the little square thing at the bottom, under the circular thing? That square thing slides into a similarly-sized square slot on the top of your DSLR. The circular thing screws down to tighten it up tight.
If your DSLR has a microphone input, then you'll be able to use it.

Might help to share what your DSLR is so that we can do the hard work for you.
>>
>>3025220
Absolutely not. Log footage is closer to a film gamma curve, so you have a cleaner, nicer rolloff into the highlights but less information allocated to shadow areas. This usually means it's better to overexpose a bit because you're likely to retain the highlights (measure anyway of course). The way it works is that of all the information bits you have, let's call em points, it allocates more to highlights than shadows, and then allocates them about evenly in the mids. This is why it's not a good idea to shoot 8-bit 420 log, you don't have that many points to start with so you get quite few in the shadows. This is not as much of an issue in 4444 where you have tons of points, so every area gets plenty of information.

Whenever I shoot log i overexpose about .5-1 stops for day scenes and 1.5-2 stops for night scenes.
>>
TLDR;
Have to take video in a wedding, halp? Tips, advice on framing and gear is appreciated. Complete videography noob here.

Loooooong version
My cousin wants me to take "documentary style" video on her wedding, what ever that means. She already has some of her photog friend taking photos, thankfully. I informed her that I'm not experienced in the least in taking video, but she didn't seem to care, so I don't think it has to be any way close to professional, and I'm not expecting to get paid either. Still, I would rather not produce utter shit. And it'd just be good practice for me anyway.

I have Sony RX100III, Panasonic LX100 and fuji X-T1 with some lenses. I've been thinking of replacing all my fuji gear in any case with Sony a7II when they drop its follower. The wedding is in June, so I have some to prepare.
I'm thinking an ultrawide, 35, 50-58, and 85 are what I should bring with me, along with massive amount of batteries, power banks and memory cards. Also, I found a Rode Videomicro mic for 50€, I should probably get one of those?
I do like muh fuji stuff, but I can't deny the lust for all the stabilized fullframe goodness...

Any tips on gear, lenses or memory cards?

So, here's my plan thus far:

-In the church:
Use the RX to record from the back of the church, use the LX to record from the front mostly framing to get the priest and the couple and the front row. Both in the wide angle. Then use a7ii handheld or with a monopod with a short tele or a normal lens to get the couple walking up and then on the front with the priest. I probably should focus more on the couple and forget about the priest if the framing doesn't come naturally? Or should I try to get more than their faces in the shot?

-In the reception:
Use the panasonic to get the whatever "official" stuff they have on a tripod, and just use the a7ii handheld for the rest of the night for random things, because it can accept power from a power bank.
>>
>>3025410
Am I overthinking this as usual? Should I just set the LX100 on a tripod and let it run out of batteries?
>>
>>3025023
yes, and monitor accurately with zebras.

plus, make sure to use log only when necessary
>>
File: hnngg.gif (1MB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
hnngg.gif
1MB, 500x273px
>tfw I get my first ever imdb page for one of my films
we're all gonna make it lads
>>
>>3025313
>That square thing slides into a similarly-sized square slot on the top of your DSLR. The circular thing screws down to tighten it up tight.
I know that much, but like I said, my camera doesn't seem to have a slot for the cable. It's a Nikon D3400.
>>
>>3025501
Yeah, I just looked it up and it would appear your camera lacks external microphone input.
>>
>>3025503
Well fuck.
Anything else you would recommend? I was thinking of getting a Zoom H1 and an Azden EX503 lavaliere microphone.
>>
>>3025507
I don't know much in the way of audio gear, so I'd check around for reviews and comparisons before making a decision. But that sounds good to me.

If you have the money, you could buy a Zoom, a lav mic, and a Rode shotgun microphone and hook yourself up with a wireless boom setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36F-0Hw1yOQ
>>
>>3024985
which of the following does /vid/ prefer and why:

Panasonic G85 or Panasonic FZ2500 (or maybe the FZ1000 since it's $400+ cheaper atm)

i was set on the G85, but now not so sure.
>>
>>3025507

Here you go senpai

http://tascam.com/product/DR-100mkIII/
>>
>>3025594
G85 man

it's almost like a GH5 at half the cost
>>
>>3025477
pff, it's quite easy to get one. but wait how easy it is to get it updated or that it doesn't look like a potato.
>>
>>3024985

I wanted to buy an a6500. I like to travel, carry my camera around everywhere and liked the portability of it.

Was planning of using sony glass for walkaround photog and video, and having adapters and canon stuff for proper shoots.

Now, I'm being tempted by the GH4. Amazing specs.

What do?
>>
>>3025666
>$400
just a bit out of my price range
I mentioned the Zoom H1 and Azden EX503 'cause they're decently cheap.
Speaking of which, how do I hide a lavaliere microphone?
>>
Sup anons, so im learning to take videos more and more now and was wondering about a free alternative to after effects if there even is one which would allow me to do what i have in mind.

Like for example i have 4 videos which i would like to put into a vertical rectangle all at once so its gona make 4 rectangles on screen with each of them playing the footage that i need and then one of them would expand to full screen.

Or lets say i have a video with somebody walking somewhere and at certain points i would like to motion track 2d footage in the video.

And lastly have like an animated line going diagonally across the video and then splitting in the video and 2 halfs of the video just pull straight up.

So would there be any kind of software that would allow me to achieve all those things or am i gona have to pay/pirate after effects.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any autism.
>>
>>3025792
>being that guy
Fuck you. Don't discourage people. Everybody gets to have that moment. They'll contextualize it for themselves soon enough.
>>
Should I use Trelby or Page 2 Stage?
>>
>>3025854
all of that should be pretty doable in any nle if you learn what you're doing
unless im misunderstanding what you want to do...
>>
>>3025856
>over-saturated marked
>don't discourage people
??? wtf? shall I offer them motivation-cake and many-success-balls on a silver tablet while petting their heads and sayin "oh, why don't you also push into a market which has trice the amount of supply than demand? remember when you and your friend were drunk once, and you had that brilliant idea for a revolutionary movie where all is like shot on steady cam in pov? you better shoot that movie .. what? no budget? meh, a phone will do it."
>>
>>3026150
you seem mad broseph
work drying up?
>>
>>3025961
No no thank you for advice, im sorry im just completely clueless about alot of things still, but im gona reasearch more into it now, see what works best for me.
>>
>>3025507
>>3025308
Bump. Anyone know if I can plug the microphone into the digital audio recorder?
>>
>>3026573
yes, you can plug a microphone with a 35mm jack into a zoom h1
next time, look at the products specifications before asking questions so simple
>>
>>3026591
Thanks and sorry, I'm a total noob.
>>
Does anyone know of a mirrorless camera with global shutter?
>>
>>3026592
We were all noobs at some point. Don't worry.
>>
>>3026803
what do you think you need a global shutter for?
>>
>>3026803
no such thing
>>
>>3026869
anon, everything is possible through God
>>
>>3026819
Distortion/tilting of vertical objects when panning.
>>
>>3026879
Perhaps we are simply not ready yet then.

>>3026908
Look into the GH4, a smaller sensor helps with this kind of shit. and it's mirrorless so that fits. not global shutter just better dealing with the rolling shutter
>>
File: 61vs4oAsCHL._SL1000_.jpg (87KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61vs4oAsCHL._SL1000_.jpg
87KB, 1000x1000px
I've got pic related to fool with and I'm pretty sure I'm handling it wrong. Anytime I try to turn with it I just make circles around the hovering camera like a retard. Is it not possible to change the direction of the camera with these things?
>>
>>3026908
lol, are you that retarded? what would you need a pan that fast that it distorts due to rolling shutter? and if you need such a quick pan what do you think somebody will notice a distortion?

no dude, you are a sheep falling for gimmick features. there some /real/ cases a rolling shutter might be problematic, but a fast pan is just rediculous. an argument solely made by amateurs who never actually produced anything.
>>
>>3026975
don't be so stupid, my god. educate yourself a bit. firstly you have to calibrate the system properly, so that it does not move or spin at all when moving your hand, even fast and with a quick stop. and then of course you put two fingers to the rod right under the cardanic suspension to control the z-axis spin. then practise, practise ..
>>
File: distortion.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
distortion.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>3027001
Filmed this with a mobile phone. The tilting is very noticeable.
>>
File: trainstation london.webm (3MB, 1280x533px) Image search: [Google]
trainstation london.webm
3MB, 1280x533px
>>3027016
>>3027001
Was inspired by this video. Saw it here on /p/ a year or two back.
>>
Anybody have any audio/video equipment recommendations compatible with the Panasonic Lumix G7? I'm not talking about lenses so much as I'm talking about microphones, preamps, monitors, gimbals, etc.
>>
Is there a site where people upload their footage for free, for use in other projects?

I just like to mess around with After Effects, etc. and I can't really film stuff myself.
>>
>>3027016
God, 30fps looks like shit (I assume cause most phones film in 30fps, not 24 - or maybe just my phone)
60fps revolution when?
>>
>>3027035
Just download youtube videos and mess around with them. If you don't upload them yourself then it's not like it matters where you got the video from
>>
>>3027006
>being that guy
We can practically smell the Cheetos on your breath.
>>
>>3027016
>>3027018
yeah, and now what? the shots are eyecancer anyways. you are so stupud it hurts.
>i can find a condition the gear comes to its limit
>so i need better gear
>the condition is inpractical anyways?
>Can't answer to that cuz I has dick in mouth
>>
>>3027035
commons.wikimedia.org
>>
>>3027084
is this how we react now to helpful information? yeah? you fucker.
>>
What is a good site for torrenting video editing plugins?

FilmConvert, NeatVideo, Twixtor, etc.

I'm just a student and I want my stuff to look better than the rest of the classes projects.

Plus it would give me knowledge on the plugins already so I can tell people I know how to use it.

[spoiler]desu senpai they should offer academic copies[/spoiler]
>>
File: PrepSchedule.jpg (396KB, 3023x1209px) Image search: [Google]
PrepSchedule.jpg
396KB, 3023x1209px
I was told my script for a 15min short film is stunning. I want to provide gear by myself.

My current gear:
BMPCC + speedbooster + Sigma 18-35/1.8
Cage, viewfinder + follow focus + field monitor
Tripod
Shoulder Rig
Slider 120cm
Rode NTG2 + Zoom H4N + 3m Boom
Aputure LED HR672S (~400W) + HR672C (~130W)
2* Arri 650W Fresnel
2 Reflectors (1m*1m, 2m*1m)
2 Flags (1m*1m, 2m*1m)
5 Lighting stands, reflector handle, foils, universal clamps
Tapes, cables, clamps, adapters etc

Did I miss something?

My preproduction plan is to draw a storyboard, hire the leading actor with a resettable contract and shoot a teaser. With the teaser, I want to make a crowdfunding campaign and ask for public funds. Depending on the budget, I hire semi-professional cast and crew or search for film students and voluntary (semi-)professionals. But how to I get in contact with guys who fulfill my standards?

Nonetheless, is this a good plan?
Any suggestions how I should proceed?
>>
>>3027208
>I'm just a student and I want my stuff to look better than the rest of the classes projects.

With all due respect, maybe if you want your stuff to look better you should learn to light, frame, make good use of locations and color grade efficiently instead of hoping a plugin will solve your problems.

FilmConvert is an especially lazy plugin, as are LUTs in general if they just get slapped onto entire projects.
>>
>>3025416
Buy a 24mm and get right up for maximum immersion
>>
>>3027261
Without knowing the script it's hard to say.
>hurr durr someome will steal it
.. ehm, no.

Your gear seem to be sufficient to inscene one person properly. For more people you need to invest more in light and audio.

The bottle neck in your plan is the funding. Nobody will invest in a short movie. Unless maybe it has some extra-ordinary political message and it's planned to entirely engage handicapped people as the cast.

Where you would get retards, I don't know. But for actors every country should have some website of choice where jobs for performing artists are published. The quality of an actor is not related to his/her success. You can find brilliant actors if you know what good acting is yourself.

In your situation I would reconsider the funding plan and search rather for a way to get it done without any 3rd party money.
>>
>>3027261
I mean like... with your 18-35 (which on the BMPCC is a 36-70 im pretty sure?). You sorta seem limited and with the crop factor of the BMPCC (yes i know you have the speedbooster), maybe having a wider lens or a more narror lens on the list that's just as fast might come in handy.

Maybe a Panasonic 14mm pancake (hell even something more wider) or the 35-100

But just like what the other anon said, it's hard to say without more script information bro.

Also that NG2 better have a dead wombat/cat with it if you plan to shoot outside. And you are gonna BURN through batteries with the H4n and Phantom power for the shotgun mic.

I've been thinking about getting a power brick for my H5 to compensate the phantom draining issue but haven't had time to look into. Might be worth you looking into.
>>
>>3026908

Poorfag problems, like most gear questions on /p/

>>3026975

>Anytime I try to turn with it I just make circles around the hovering camera like a retard.

please post footage of this for research

>>3027261
>>3027377

18-35 with the speedbooster is plenty wide on the bmpcc
>>
>>3025854
The after effects free trial?
>>
File: Download.jpg (349KB, 917x1751px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
349KB, 917x1751px
>>3027338
It's a drama / thriller with indoor scenes, a subway station scene and little bit of street footage.
Boom operator can simply pan or rotate the pole. Worked in my first and only halfway planned short film.
According to light: Most scenes only contain two people. So, I think it would be sufficient, but not perfect though. I considered to get a Kinoflo or suchlike with a 1kW equivalent power. Good idea? Lighting style of the film is supposed to be mainly blueish and chiaroscuro.
And yeah, it has a political message. Finding actors is not that hard. Facebook and other sites offer in my location many opportunities. For my short, I even engaged two graduated actresses. But production crew is harder to get.
Nonetheless, it would be feasible as a no-budget. Quality claims are asking for money. At different crowdfunding sites, I recognized that even bad executed projects can collect up tp 5000€.

>>3027377
Actually, It is ~29-57mm. Without Speedbooster I have ~50-98mm. I played with the idea of getting a Tokina 11-16mm/2.8 but 29mm is almost wide enough I think. Fincher for example goes down to 27mm.
Yeah, I have a deadcat :) How many rechargeable 18650 batteries do I need?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
PhotographerKevin Kertz
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:01:07 17:38:10
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width917
Image Height1751
>>
>>3027338
>The bottle neck in your plan is the funding. Nobody will invest in a short movie. Unless maybe it has some extra-ordinary political message and it's planned to entirely engage handicapped people as the cast.
This is factually untrue.
No one will invest in YOUR short film maybe true, but that's not the same thing

Source:
>Over the summer I worked on a short-film crowd-funded for over £7000 that wasn't political or about disabilities. The only selling factor was that the two stars were both established tv&film actors with experience

Adding to that, I see film school kids try to fund their short films through crowd-funding all the time and they frequently manage between £500-£1500. It's beyond that that they fail
>>
>>3027431
2 stars for 7000£ ... well, that must have been two cheap motherfuckers.

still you can't compare that, you moron. they must have had some connection to get those two work for them for literally no money. so they also had channels for public realation, even when it just was the artists' agencies using their press list. you idiot.
if it would be easy like this why don't you just engage johnny depp and make a crowd-funding for your dick-sucker shirt film? hm? ... "factually not true" .. damn, your stupidity hurts. "I worked on a crowd-funded short film. Look at me. I kno buziness. Gimmi dick." 7000£ in your face, sucker!
>>
>>3027461
>2 stars for 7000£
They weren't "stars", I guarantee you haven't heard of either of them
It was only 2 days of filming
The production team was completely unknown

I absolutely can compare this. As I also stated, that you ignored, film-school students around me frequently raise over £1000 in crowd-funding
You're talking shit because you failed

And for the record,
It's factually untrue if your all-encompassing claim has an instance that contradicts it
Eg.
Claim: all Norwegians are called "Derek"
Response: I know a Norwegian called "Paul"
Conclusion: the claim is factually untrue

How fucking stupid are you that you don't understand base logic?
>>
>>3027307
Oh no, I make sure everything is well lit and framed properly (if I do the cinematography), there's always a couple aesthetic pieces that i'd like to add to them; in my opinion the footage I shoot and grade and export to DNxHD for the editor in the group is always pretty good and easy to set up.

It's the footage I get from other people. Kiddos shooting in auto, standard profile, f-stop of 22, "well it looked okay in the monitor", etc. I have a pirated (old) version of Neatvideo and Filmconvert, and those two helped mask alot of problems. Premiere CS6 isn't working on my PC anymore and reinstalling it doesn't do anything.
>>
>>3027307
oh also Twixtor; i've received footage to work on that is a mixture of 23.976, 24 (somehow), 25, 29.97, and 59.94 fps

what I usually did for those when premiere worked for me was i'd make a timeline with all the necessary footage I think I need from that camera, send it to after effects, change the framerate of the project, and apply twixtor. would usually do a good job of re-timing it all correctly.
>>
>>3027675
>Kiddos shooting in auto, standard profile, f-stop of 22, "well it looked okay in the monitor", etc
this is why I'm hesitant to work with other people
I learnt by doing on a used 550d where you could only shoot manually and where I was filming constantly in low-light; and where I was trying to emulate Kubrick and Refn
I don't think I could handle someone who's background was in humorous web-shorts
>>
>>3027681
If there's a group assignment I end up getting stuck as cinematographer. I'd love to direct or act in one of them, but the group usually votes for their hipster college student idea over what I propose. It's not too bad I suppose, I transferred after graduating with a degree in another video field, perhaps skill in two different things is good to put on a resume.

But there's been some assignments where you shoot something and then hand that off to another group to edit. So i've been on shoots where a sony cinema camera with rokinon lenses was used, but the footage we get is from an underexposed Rebel T2i and 5DmkIV in auto and both are in different frame rates. I make it work though after I spend a day fixing all the footage I think I need.

Problem is uh, Premiere's not working anymore so I need to see if there's a way to get the OFX plugins.

If it's a plugin for Sony Vegas, will it work in Resolve?
>>
File: 1485783628740.jpg (10KB, 303x232px) Image search: [Google]
1485783628740.jpg
10KB, 303x232px
>>3027563
no, you big hairy ape. the thing is that you are not capable of comparing properly.

it is more like:

>most norwegians have celtic names
>I know a norwegian called "Enrico"
>ergo no norwegian has a celtic name

... can YOU see now how STUPID you are? yes?? YES?????
>>
>>3027698
Except, to quote you:
>" Nobody will invest in a short movie. Unless maybe it has some extra-ordinary political message and it's planned to entirely engage handicapped people as the cast."
>"Nobody"

You didn't say it would be hard, you clearly stated that getting funding was impossible unless your film has a socio-political message. This is an incorrect statement and now you're trying to backpedal. I don't know why idiots like you feel the need to enter threads like this and spread disinformation

Now fuck off back to /tv/
>>
Oops repost:
You have $2000 to build a full run and gun rig for online short film content (mic, lenses, everything). Versatility is key.

Go

Yes im going to take your ideas for a job
>>
I don't want to make an account to download Natron, I just want the OFX plugins (windows) from it
>>
>>3027738
Some kind of camera. A prime lens, a zoom lens, a wide-angle lens, and a macro lens. A boom mic. Maybe a preamp if you have the cash to spare.

You're done.
>>
>>3027775
you forgot a shoulder rig or tripod
>>
>>3027784
Fair enough, though you can't really run and/or gun with a tripod. Unless it's compact, I suppose.
>>
I'm shooting on a Canon 60D and i have a Nikkor 28mm 3.5 adapted on it but funnily enough it previews the exposure properly on video (i'm using MagicLantern) but not on photo (on liveview).
I brought the adapter just for video and plan to use the lens just for that anyways but well...
>>
>>3027738

$1000 on a RX100 IV. $500 on a three light LED setup with some flags, stands, reflectors, and silks or other modifiers. Manfrotto BeFree Live used as tripod or monopod. $50-100 on a lav-mic and use your phone to record audio. Spend the rest as you see fit.
>>
>>3027715
well, little monkey. let's talk about reality.
around 40% of cf campaigns are successful. you think that's alot? yeah, because you're an ape. firstly these are numbers the platforms publish themselves. and you can be sure they find a way to count this pleasingly (e.g. not counting campaigns which did not get a single support). but even if. out of these 40% merely 17% are in the category film&tv. and it's not they are evenly spreaded, music e.g. has a significant higher chance to be funded. so let us be generous and say 25% of all film&tv campaigns are funded. great. over 80% of all fundings are in the area of $2k. let's assume for f&tv it's a little higher. maybe 3k. or 4k. you have then to substract the campaign costs, like the hilarious gifts for the supporter and the material you produced and the time you invested etc. great, generously again let's say you have 2.5k to spend in the end.
summa summarum: you have a 25% chance to raise $2.5k. wow. but! these are all contents which are offered for funding. so, what content is there? predominantely? fancy, arty short movies with experimental attitude and deep message? hardly. we have documentaries about refugees, documentaries about old people with or without family or children with cancer or animals in sad situations. we have feature films either about "strong topics", with "innovative realization principles" or simply - like your hilarious example - with some kind of b-stars where people hope for the chance to see some titts of a face they've seen before.
not to mention strange stuff like girls funding their make-up youtube channels or daily diary projects and all that creep food.
so, what about your short movie with a more or less artistic approach? no names? no titts? no political message? I'll be generous again and give it a 10% of all successful f&tv projects. makes 100*0.4*0.625*0.1 = 2.5% chance to get $2.5k. IN THE VERY BEST CASE.
But yeah, my statement to call it "THE BOTTLENECK" was false.
>>
ITT
>>
>be filming in the street
>get approached by a random guy
>he asks me for camera advice
>we get talking
>he runs a new media company
>offers me a job
>takes my contact details
>asks me to call him back if I'm interested
>calls me so I have his number

A little bit later after I finish filming

>check phone
>his call didn't get through so I don't have his number
>forgot his name
>forgot the name of his company

fucking kill me
>>
>>3027996
>around 40% of cf campaigns are successful
Thanks for admitting that you were wrong. That takes courage
>>
>>3028012
Just head back outside and see if your memory gets jogged, duh.
>>
How much of a difference does a 2g vs 4gb GPU make?
>>
what's a good documentary camera? I need something lightweight with good battery life and it needs to be an all-in-one package (so no DSLRs with 15 minute video limit and shit batteries etc). I'm thinking about the C100 or C100 Mark II, it's not a bad price for what you're getting. 4K isn't really important to me right now.
>>
>>3028112
I also like the A7s for the incredible low light performance but I fear it has the same drawbacks many DSLRs have.
>>
>>3027766
Nevermind I did it and added the misc plugins to Resolve; denoise sharpen works how it is supposed to I am assuming
>>
>>3028114
Don't buy an a7s for documentary use
It's overheating issues would render basically unusable for docs

>>3028112
Just buy a camcorder from canon or sony that fits your price-range
You can use youtube to see the quality of the footage
>>
I want to buy something
>>
>>3028178
buy me a canon 1dxmkii
>>
>>3028179
No
>>
I need a shot where a bunch of dust blows straight at the camera. How can I get it without ruining the camera?
>>
>>3028185
>what is glass/plastic/transparent-substances?
>>
>>3028185

Mix iron dust in with the rest of the dust. Put two giant superconducting magnets on either side of the camera. When you blow dust at the camera the magnets will attract the iron/dust mixture and nothing will hit your camera.

Problem solved.
>>
File: super8_cam_kodak.jpg (218KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
super8_cam_kodak.jpg
218KB, 1400x933px
anyone else /hype/?

Horizontal Resolution72
Vertical Resolution72
Image Width1400
Image Height933
>>
>>3028317
I've been waiting since they announced it

I saw a Nikon Super 8mm Camera at Goodwill, complete, for $40 but I didn't have any money and I think i'll wait for this instead

So how is the footage being scanned? Are we getting 4K ProRes filed?

[spoiler]What I think I might do if I got one of these to shoot a film; I would shoot at 18 for dialogue scenes with little motion and interpolate to 24, and record scenes with more motion at 24.[/spoiler]
>>
>>3028317
yeah can't wait to spend $50 for 3 minutes of footage
>>
>>3028324
yeah because you totally can't do that right now you fucking dumbass

also way to miss the point of shooting super8 now please be so kind to drink bleach
>>
>>3028326
I realise I can do that right now, which makes waiting for a new camera that does the same thing a little silly, no?
>>
>>3028328
yeah, who the fuck cares that we're getting a brand new up-to-date camera for a format most people thought was dead. It makes absolutely no difference wether all available equipment is 30+ years old or wether there's modern equipment available.

srsly, kys
>>
>>3028320
>I saw a Nikon Super 8mm Camera at Goodwill, complete, for $40 but I didn't have any money and I think i'll wait for this instead
better start saving, that new camera ain't gonna be cheap. If it's around 500-600 bucks we can call ourselves lucky. Wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to 1k

>So how is the footage being scanned? Are we getting 4K ProRes filed?
I'd hope so, if they want to make it attractive to professional use (such as for inserts in features and sheit). My guess would be they'd offer something like a cheap-o scan at 1080p and a pro scan at 4k

>What I think I might do if I got one of these to shoot a film; I would shoot at 18 for dialogue scenes with little motion and interpolate to 24, and record scenes with more motion at 24
why
>>
>>3028333
save on resources, twixtor works pretty well for this, but im not sure how it would work for more grainy footage
>>
>>3028333
1k ?

Hahahahaha

Last rumors are saying it'll be 3k :'(
>>
>>3028110
anyone?
What editing setups do you people use?
>>
>>3028650
I use a notebook with a Nvidia GT750M (compatible with DaVinci, AE and Premiere), an i7 Quad à 2.2Hz and 16GB RAM - without SSD. Even 1080p RAW footage is to handle. Make sure you have to nice workflow and then, yu don't need a heavy editing setup.
>>
File: broke-is-expensive.gif (74KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
broke-is-expensive.gif
74KB, 500x335px
Is it possible to make a decent looking short film with only an f/3.5 lens and an f/4.5 lens?
>>
>>3028881
yes
>>
why does my canon t4i smell like ass?
>>
>>3028987
Let me guess, you bought it off eBay?
>>
>>3024985
i didnt see anything in the sticky about computer specs, so:

1) what does /vid/ recommend for editing 4k video, in general and/or in particular video taken from a Panasonic G85?

2) what is your computer build?
>>
>>3029141
You'll want a GPU that can handle 4K for the most part. I believe the recommended GPU manufacturer for video editing is AMD, but it's not as if you can't get similar if not identical results out of an NVIDIA machine. Then you'll want a motherboard that takes the GPU, as well as a CPU that can also handle 4K video. Also, a good amount of RAM.
Of course, you might also want a 4K monitor as well.

The answer is to ask /g/, maybe.
>>
>>3025023
would be alot more worried about picture profile and wb more so it your rig dones not shoot raw
>>
File: 1483569468770.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1483569468770.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
>>3029158
>I believe the recommended GPU manufacturer for video editing is AMD
my sides
enjoy your house fire
>>
>>3029339

>memes from 2006

Kinda sad, man.
>>
File: 1483569672091.jpg (35KB, 370x388px) Image search: [Google]
1483569672091.jpg
35KB, 370x388px
>>3029346
>newfriends blatantly revealing themselves
what a time to be alive
>>
>>3028185

Bag the camera with polythene bags/sheets - put an optical flat in matte box.

Have cans of air at the ready to give it a clean straight after.

From experience you are better to go overkill when bagging cameras from dust explosions
>>
>tfw still don't know how much VRAM to get ;_;
>>
File: not anytime soon.jpg (79KB, 865x505px) Image search: [Google]
not anytime soon.jpg
79KB, 865x505px
tl;dr: what are your rates?

Hey /vid/, (25 y/o) freelance videographer here.

I feel discouraged to do freelance work when the pricing is brought up during the conversation with a (small business) client. I get a lot of these;
>you're still young and learning, do it for the experience, it's great for your portfolio
>I will give you a shoutout to help you broaden your network
>your equipment isn't even that expensive for the price you're asking
>you're still a student, you're not a professional

After four years of education in video and multimedia design, I consider myself a professional. My portfolio is okay for those four years doing mostly work for free. I barely get around with waiting tables and I invested a couple grand in basic equipment.
>Canon 6D
>L series, 24-105mm F2.8, 50mm, ND & UV filter
>full sized tripod & glidecam
>Zoom recorder H5 & Rode minishotgun
>sd cards, batteries, bags, laptop, software & plugins (bought), etc.

I don't know what my work is worth or what my day rates should be. Could anyone help me out figuring out how I should tackle my rates? Or could you give some insight in what your rates are?
>>
>>3029430
Tell them, "these are my rates"
If they try and haggle, lower it by a couple of bucks an hour as an "introductory offer because I like you" (assuming you need the business)

Other than that, don't compromise
As for how much, depends how much your time is worth
>>
>>3029430
You ARE a beginner with cheap equipment. You shouldn't expect anyone will pay you decently. That's how the branche work. Deal with it and do as many jobs as possible or start to charge too early and drown in the market.
>>
File: 1333709570183.jpg (95KB, 1027x651px) Image search: [Google]
1333709570183.jpg
95KB, 1027x651px
Do I want a zoom lens with a low f-number, or a non-zoom lens with a high f-number?

Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.6.10
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2011:07:01 16:35:22
CommentCREATOR
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1036
Image Height736
>>
>>3029470
You want to stop trying to be a filmmaker and instead work in middle management where people will tell you exactly what to do and then penalise you if you fuck up
>>
>>3029488
I just want my shots to look good, jeez.
>>
File: XCuwckX.png (191KB, 1544x1260px) Image search: [Google]
XCuwckX.png
191KB, 1544x1260px
HAVE YOU EVER MADE A VIDEO??? OR JUST SHITTY TALK ABOUT SUPERFLUOUS CRAP IN THIS ETERNAL AND BORING THREAD?

POST SOME OF YOUR VIDEOS
>>
>>3029516
I made a promotional video for an international company associated with various top universities. They re-edited the beginning and end, with high compression thereby ruining the quality and making it a blurry mess, before uploading it to youtube without giving any credit to me or the music company who's music was present
I'm glad because they butchered it so badly that it would reflect badly on me. But technically the music company could sue them

Still got paid though
>>
>>3029516
I once filmed a test shot. Because I bought a red dragon. I didn't like the result (it was just in my house) and since then the cam stands in the shelter.
but I still now you're shit at filmmaking and a phony phaggot.
>>
>>3029141
Just build the best desktop possible and a couple external hard drives, should be no more than $1500
>>
File: 1424846396553.jpg (65KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
1424846396553.jpg
65KB, 665x662px
MY CAMERA ONLY RECORDS IN .MOV
>>
>>3029632
as if the >>container<< would make a difference. the question is which codec does it use. you clueless ape head. go "reee" somewhere else.
>>
I have an A6000. Does shooting at 24fps give a higher quality image than 60fps when using the 50mbps bit rate?
>>
>>3029742
Not him but I have a similar question: Why does my camera zoom in or out depending on the framerate I'm recording at?
>>
>>3029742
>>3029750
The bit rate is the amount of "bits per second" available. When there is just one frame in the second it can be stored with the whole 50mbits = 6.25mbytes. If there are two frames it's only 3.125mbytes. In theory. Luckily today's compression algorithms are a little bit more efficient since they regard the time dimension and compress frames-wide remaining information quite effectively. So, as long as you do not film gaussian noise the loss from 24fps to 60fps should not be close to 2.5x but maybe just 0.7x to 1.1x or something like that.

In regard to the zoom effect I assume that a large sensor uses a smaller area of the sensor when shooting in a higher framerate due to be able to read it out faster and with less artifacts etc.
>>
>>3029755
s/0.7x to 1.1x/1.1x to 1.7x/
>>
>>3029141
pls halp

finna build a desktop soon
>>
>>3029819
Wait for Ryzen, get an ATI video card, maybe an RX 480 (might be overkill, though). Get at least 8 GB of RAM, some people might tell you to get 16, but I don't think you'll ever need it. If you're going to be fine-tuning the audio in your videos, you might want a sound card. Something cheap like a Creative Sound Blaster should work.
>>
>>3029847
>get an ATI card
>maybe an RX 480
>8 GB of RAM you won't need more

please never give advice again. not even joking.

>>3029819
if you want to save money you could get 2 RX480 but get the case with the best cooling you can find because your shit will catch on fire. make sure to get an equivalent CPU if you're going with ATI i.e. not intel.
you should however not cheap out and get an nvidia GPU coupled with an intel core i7 CPU. (generally go for an above gaming build where you get an i7 over an i5 for example)

as for RAM, get at least 16, I have 16 at the moment and if I get effects going or color grading/correction on 4K footage it starts to slow down. I'll be upgrading to 32 soon. I haven't had the chance to work with RAW footage yet but I imagine it's gonna be even worse.

get a shitton of storage, preferably fast storage like SSDs. or at the very least get an SSD for your operating system and programs and at least a 1TB HDD for the rest, AT LEAST.

if you're gonna work with 2K 4K footage the file sizes are gonna be huge and you'll run out of space fast if you're also doing backups and everything.

>tl;dr
if you're going for an ATI build try to keep it AMD, don't mix and match with intel
if you're going for an nvidia build match with intel CPU, there's not a huge difference between the 1070 GTX and the 1080, so either get the 1070 (has 8GB VRAM) or the 1080 ti when it comes out (I haven't checked if it's out yet). or SLI two 1070s.
>>
>>3030050
Not that guy, but I'm also getting a new computer
Unfortunately, I'm having to get a laptop because I travel all the time, and that it also when I do my filming and editing (gh4 at the moment, might upgrade to something beefier in the near future)
I would love to have a desktop, but that is simply not an option for me
I was think of getting the new 4K 15" Dell XPS
Do you think that's a suitable choice?
It has an nvidia 1050 with 4gb of vram, 16gb of ram which I can later upgrade myself, and a 512gb ssd which I can also later upgrade to 1tb/2tb, as well as a kaby lake i7
Is that enough do you think?
I don't do vfx-heavy editing, but I do deal with 4 footage
I'm switching from a Mac where I've been using FCPX for a decade, so I guess on Windows now I'll be using premiere Pro
>>
>>3030074
should've gotten a macbook if you're travelling a lot since macs are just better laptops in terms of display, battery life, portability
but yeah, should be good, check the specs on the processor, cause the nvidia card is already a laptop version. check to see if the processor has like a U letter after it, unless you know how to check to see exactly what version it is. the U tells you that it's a lesser laptop version where for example it says it's a quad core but it doesn't actually have 4 cores.
you can make a thread on /g/ and tell them your exact specs and what you're going for and they might offer alternatives in the same price range.
but yeah, expect some slowdown when working with 4K footage especially if you're grading individual shots. even with just an adjustment layer it might bog down a bit.

props on the gh4 btw, just got one myself recently
>>
>>3030084
I was considering getting a MacBook pro again but the new ones are just way too expensive for what they are and the 2015 model is outdated for me needs IMO
The Dells display should be pretty good desu, it has 100% RGB

Yeah it's a great camera, I hope you get yourself some nice vintage glass to go with it
>>
>>3030089
right now I blew all my money on getting the camera + a 14-42 g vario lens. which is pretty poor at the widest being f3.5 at the 14mm but eh, I'll try and get the best I can get out of the camera until I get a speedbooster. then I'll probably start with that sigma 18-35 since it's the cheapest all around lens with a low f stop, then maybe get a prime wide and a prime long lens.
I'm surprised by how well the camera holds out in low light with this shitty kit lens I have for it, althought I do get noise in shadows. but with proper lighting there shouldn't be a problem even with the shit kit lens.
>>
>>3030093
I'm curious, why'd you get a gh4 over a gh5?
Was it just a matter of price?
I've had mine for over 2 years now and I'm quite tempted by that in body stabilisation...
Though I think if I were to upgrade I'd probably get a proper 'cinema camera'
>>
File: shot 3.jpg (744KB, 1280x2188px) Image search: [Google]
shot 3.jpg
744KB, 1280x2188px
Hi you may have seen the other post on here i made but I was told but to put it here instead.

Looking for criticism regarding the composition and lighting for a short CGI film I'm making. this particulate shot is the Establishing shot.

1/2

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Created2017:02:26 12:05:58
Image Width1280
Image Height2188
>>
File: shot 4.jpg (669KB, 1280x2189px) Image search: [Google]
shot 4.jpg
669KB, 1280x2189px
2/2

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Created2017:02:27 12:04:43
Image Width1280
Image Height2189
>>
>>3030121
>>3030122
Is this a videogame from 1997?
>>
>>3030098
the gh5 is almost double the price and for what it offers it's really not worth it for me at this point.

over the gh4 it has:
- internal stabilization, which is nice but I use a shoulder rig setup anyway
- 10bit internal but seeing as how that little screen is almost worthless and you need a monitor anyway, might as well get the gh4 + external recorder and have both a bigger monitor to see what I'm shooting and 10bit
- ability to load LUTs, but whatever
- less crop in 4K, possibly a slightly better sensor that MIGHT do better in low light, but I light my shit anyway so...

I've considered all of these and for the price of the gh5's body I can get a gh4 + external recorder and have the same benefits, minuts the internal stabilization.

also, I had a price range I was going for and it was between the black magic pocket and the gh4 in that price bracket, but the pocket camera felt like it was gonna cost me a lot more to set up than the gh4.
it would've been worth it for the dynamic range and RAW and generally since the pocket is a more professional camera, but in the long run, I'm better off perfecting my skills with the gh4 and longer down the line getting a much better pro videocamera with good dynamic range and RAW and all that shit.

>tl;dr
for the price of a gh5 body I'm better off building a gh4 with external recorder
>>
>>3030135
No, its a animation i started on my own about 3 weeks ago,
>>
>>3030121
>>3030122
Your cinema needs an aviary
Pretty good otherwise
>>
>>3030121
>>3030122
Everything seems muted. Vary your colors. Bring out the elements you WANT the viewer to notice before anything else.
For example, adding more light or brightness in the parking attendant booth will help it stand out in the second shot. At the moment, it appears as little more than a hole in the wall.
>>
>>3030136
Fair enough, sounds like a sensible choice desu
>>
>>3030154
can you give me an example? I'm unsure if I've ever seen an aviary at a cinema.

>>3030181
thanks for the tips, I'll adjust the lighting and textures
>>
>>3030311
>can you give me an example? I'm unsure if I've ever seen an aviary at a cinema.
Where else do patrons leave their falcons while they shower?
>>
File: 1473009594497.gif (2MB, 479x775px) Image search: [Google]
1473009594497.gif
2MB, 479x775px
Hey guys, i made a thread but i guess it'ts better to post this here:

>I've been always a fan of video editing and post production but recently because of my new job i've started to get interested in film and photography
>I recently got a rebel t5i which was very affordable (200 usd) and would like to write a good script and take some shots.
>Now, problem is, i don't have any experience on this (writting ideas or stories), i do have experience using cameras but not that much.
>I don't know if this is just worth it at my age because i work with guys with the same age as me who literally started scripting and filming years ago and they have much more knowledge about composition, lights, etc.
>Is it possible for a 23 year old man to become good at this with many many effort and hardwork?
>Or is it worthless?
>>
>>3030439
Kendy Ty, a vimeo darling, did get into it until he was in his 40s
So yes, it's possible. Whether or not you have the dedication is a separate matter
>>
>>3030439
you can do it no problem
you can find information about almost everything you need nowadays on the internet.

you just have to be dedicated and keep improving, for example, start filming as often as possible and with a clear goal in mind.
today I'm doing framing, tomorrow composition, day after tomorrow I'm lighting some scenes in various ways. and so on

just challenge yourself more and more and you can legit get good at filmmaking in less than a year's time if you put the effort into it.
mastery of it will take years however, and by years I mean decades, so don't despair. some plebs are still learning, just look at some of the bullshit they accepted at the oscars this year if you want some reassurance
>>
File: 1429735538344.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1429735538344.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
How do I transition from digital video to film, /vid/? Is getting a 16mm cinema camera a good place to start? There are a lot of cheap ones around Ebay.
>>
With a camera that has a 1.6x crop factor, if you attach a 50mm lens with a wide-angle converter that has a 0.6x factor (which brings you to around 30mm), are you now back to getting 50mm?
>>
>>3030610
Find an 8mm camera at good will, cost you like 40-ish bucks, some of them might let you change the lens (which is usually c-mount, which those lenses are apparently pretty cheap).

Kodak is coming out with a program where you buy the cartridges and they develop them and scan them.
>>
File: IMG-20170227-WA0004.jpg (25KB, 540x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170227-WA0004.jpg
25KB, 540x346px
>>3030445
>>3030565

Thanks anons, you guys are right, i should get started as soon as i can. Is my rebel t5i good enough for starting at filming?

Also, where can i start learning about composition, lights, framing, etc?

Pd: i haven't read in a long long time so i assume i need to get back to it if i want to get good ideas and my creativity flowing, right?
>>
>>3030652
But isn't 8mm the shittiest possible format for film? You can also find some decent-looking 16mm cinema cameras for that price.
>>
>>3030681
youtube my dude
>>
>>3030312
>>
>>3030681
>Is my rebel t5i good enough for starting at filming?
Yes

>Also, where can i start learning about composition, lights, framing, etc?
Read the sticky
>>
>>3030651
48mm ... can't you calculate that yourself?
>>
How to get this look?
It looks to me like it was filmed on a Canon full frame? http://www.pornhub.com/view_video.php?viewkey=318871941
>>
>>3030819
you already look like the MC newfriend
>>
>>3030819
Looks like dogshit desu
>>
File: 1429145127735.jpg (49KB, 283x323px) Image search: [Google]
1429145127735.jpg
49KB, 283x323px
Hey /p/, what's your favorite software for beauty editing? You know, skin smoothing, blemish removal, color correction etc. I already master photoshop in that area but I'm just getting into video and looking for an "equivalent" (whether it would need plugins or not). Adobe products stand out to me because I'm already familiar with photoshop, but still not quite sure of whether after effects or premiere pro would be better for my purposes. Still I'm open to any others if they're more appropiate.
>>
>>3030865
my favorite software is finding people who are not inherently butt-ugly, it's called common sense [TM]
I know fatties don't approve but there is such a thing as being photogenic, which in some respects it also means that your skin is not a nuclear bombardment field.
>>
>>3030874
Of course that's obvious, but I sometimes when producing stuff for things like cosmetic brands you have to give it that extra perfection.
>>
>>3030879
tell them to stop hiring circus freaks lel

no but seriously, lightroom and after effects most probably
>>
>>3024985
I have a Pentax k50, that's all I got. I wanna make a short film of the things I've written in my journal. Like a voice-over of each day I've written in, with B-roll footage. How should I approach this project?
>>
>>3030906
It sounds like you already have a plan
Just buy a microphone and learn how to record decent audio

And buy some sort of stabiliser (a tripod, shoulder rig, fly cam, gimbal...)
>>
>>3030908
Any good microphones around $50? A Snowball seems to do well from what my brother uses for youtube
>>
File: studio-hero-editing-suites.jpg (447KB, 1920x815px) Image search: [Google]
studio-hero-editing-suites.jpg
447KB, 1920x815px
Are there any decent monitors for editing which are affordable?
The ones I come across cost more than my whole setup...

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Image Created2016:07:28 12:28:34
Image Width1920
Image Height815
>>
>>3030910
I got a rode videomic for like £60 which does me well
I also have a £15 lav that performs fine
>>
Just exported a film from final cut pro x and half of the shots came out uncut and ungraded, even though in the timeline they were
They come from the same source as the shots that were fine, and I imported and edited them in the same way
Why did they come out different in the export?
>>
>>3030815
Was a rhetorical question, I want to know if it looks like shit doing it this way or not
>>
What are some decent film grains for DaVinci Resolve 12? The latest update has a grain option included but it's watermarked as being pro/subscriber exclusive despite all the overlays that do exactly the same thing.
>>
What's the cheapest fastest and easiest route to becoming a famous director?
>>
>>3031278
Filmconvert
>>3031285
Become a famous actor and then exploit your connections to direct
>>
>>3031290
>Become a famous actor and then exploit your connections to direct
For this reason, I can never properly respect an actor-turned-director as much as someone who's always been a director - no matter how good their films are
It's just a weird hangup I have

(that's not so say that I don't respect Clint Eastwood a hell of a lot more than Christopher Nolan)
>>
>>3031381
What about directors who act?
>>
>>3031260
wide converters mostly look poor, yes.
>>
>>3031278
how stupid it is to add grain to a clean footage. the only thing you're doing with that is stressing the codec you use for exporting and thereby wasting bandwith with could've been used for remaining image quality. soooooo stupid. stop that.
>muh look
>gimme more dick to swallow
>>
>>3031285
the most truthful answer is that there is no easy and cheap way. don't think that anybody in the branche will let you through when you're pushing into the market. don't think anyone would be interested in what you do or would even remotely need it.

so, you either have connections to no end (and we're talking about blood relation at least) or you can find one of the rare ways to achieve attention and thereby force the branche to accept you.

alternatively you could just give a fuck and do the content you want with the possibilities you have. fuck fame. that's what the reptiloid jews from outer space want you to believe in. no no.
>>
>>3031563
oh, or you have a fuckton of money, of course.
>>
File: 1484081661497.png (47KB, 522x472px) Image search: [Google]
1484081661497.png
47KB, 522x472px
>>3031290
Thanks, but isn't there a substancial loss in quality by rendering the footage on two different editors? Hopefully FilmConvert doesn't affect it too much?

>>3031561
My current camera is a Lumix GF3. Gotta disguise the shit quality with some grain to look all hip and stylized.
>>
>>3031285
make a good movie using low/no budget with your filmmaker friends, then submit it in a film festival. or write your way in somehow.
>>
File: 18915209.jpg (22KB, 296x475px) Image search: [Google]
18915209.jpg
22KB, 296x475px
>>3031584
sigh
>>
>>3031584
Literally this. There are thousands of festival choices in submission sites like FilmFreeway, and a lot of them are either free or have relatively affordable entry fees. Go for it, start from the bottom and build your way to the top.
>>
>>3031438
well that's just banter
>>
>>3031601
festivals are shit though
the free ones get tens of thousands of submissions that it's literally impossible to review them all
the paid ones are better but a lot of them are still shit such that they don't watch all the shit submitted

Of the ones that do, you've got your cliquey film festivals which just have films from the same small group of filmmakers each year plus a few films that larger festivals have already played/awarded
Or else you get the shit-organised monstrosities that are pointless to attend

Finding a good film festival for a short film as someone with no contacts is almost impossible
>>
>>3031561
Grain is extremely useful when matching or compositing differently sourced footage. Then the grain can be used as a visual glue or to lessen any apparent lack of it between shots that would otherwise hamper seamlessness. A film master could provide the grain instead of a digital process but that's exclusive to high end movie production so elsewhere it's all about grain emulation.

Basically get more experience, kiddo, before commenting nonsense.
>>
>>3031581
Filmconvert can be used as a plugin for almost any of the main video editors
>>
>>3031644
oh, you little mongoloid. "visual glue" ... grain as "visual glue" .. the lowness of the niveau in this thread is always and always capable of surprising me again and again. and you call that """experience""". wow. you are one fuck full of himself. do you always sit in your basement and make wild theories about what you think how things work? that's neat. but how come this incredible ignorance to even mention that crap to someone .. not to speak of that attitude your random an indifferent "thought" would be even remotely related to reality? .. astonishing, yet rediculous. poor dude. poor, poor.
>>
>>3031644
just to add this: if you would work for my company and you would begin a sentence in my presence like "you know, grain can be extremely useful as visual glue .." I would instantly fire you. Just "get out, you don't need to come back here till your contract ends. Just go, immediately."
>>
>>3031714
>>3031723
The lowness of the niveau in this thread is always and always capable of surprising me again and again. and you call that """experience""". wow. you are one fuck full of himself. do you always sit in your basement and make wild theories about what you think how things work? that's neat. but how come this incredible ignorance to even mention that crap to someone .. not to speak of that attitude your random an indifferent "thought" would be even remotely related to reality? .. astonishing, yet rediculous. poor dude. poor, poor. Just to add this: if you would work for my company and you would begin a sentence in my presence like that, I would instantly fire you. Just "get out, you don't need to come back here till your contract ends. Just go, immediately.

Thanks for the new copypasta, by the way. >>3031644 does add a pretty good point independently of your dickness, adding grain can really help out when you're working independent.
>>
>>3031739
the fact that you are just as retarded as the other anon, does not make the point more valid.
>>
>>3031761
Do you have any technical objection other than "hurr durr not up to muh high standards"? Exactly what is wrong with using grain to compensate for dispersion in resolution across two different cameras? I'm honestly not seeing the issue here, obviously I wouldn't recommend it for a commercial project but if you're doing an independent film on your own without the proper budget then that sounds like a valid way to standardize your footage while simultaneously having some stylistic compensation. Please enlighten us, professional-senpai.
>>
File: 1488153151566.png (1MB, 1080x602px) Image search: [Google]
1488153151566.png
1MB, 1080x602px
Could someone recommend me a simple and free software where I can drag and drop some pics to make a slideshow video?
>>
>>3031779
Literally any video editor, even Windows Movie Maker allows for that.
>>
>>3031775
firstly I already said that artifical grain has no other value than stressing the fuck out of the export codec and that you lose IQ in the end due to wasting the bandwith.

secondly grain is not the way to achieve a monolithic look over your shots. What you do is pass A and B grading for that (aka 1st/2nd grading).

and as a third point: what is grain? it is redundant isotropic information. when adding it to signal you destroy the nearby hermetic information. the more noise, the less usefull information.
what makes a professional looking picture? a dense amount of information in an artistically balanced appearance. while it is true that filtering is part of this artistic balncing, grain is per se not qualified to act as a filter. why? because of its redundant isotropic nature. it does not plainly reduce the amount of information but instead does exchange it with non-sense information. actually quantitative spoken, it even raises the amount of data while destroying qualitative infirmation. this is why e.g. an export codec simply gets stressed.

As a conclusion you can say, that there is hardly any thinkable benefit of artificial grain, and when some peopke think it would look cool ir hip or would retouche flaws in the footage, then THEY would have to provide ANY evidence, or even just a hypothesis which is at least only half-stupid, to 3xplain how this cozld ve possible, when the nature of grain is and always was something everyone wants to avoid as much as possible.

(which does not imply that a recording must be noisless under all circumstances. recorded noise is nit half as retarded as artificial.)
>>
>>3031779
Adobe Creative Cloud
It's like 60 bucks a month or something, but you can stop after a month
Final Cut Pro miiiiiight let you but personally I wouldn't take the risk
>>
>>3031795
The "Produce a Slideshow" feature in Final Cut is only going to be added later this year, I'm afraid. Adobe Creative Cloud is anon's best bet.
>>
How can i get ideas for a good short film?

I'm new to this, i've been an editor for a long time now but i just got a camera and wanted to begin directing some short films. Problem is, i haven't read in quite a long time so i have no ideas.

What do you guys recommend?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot SX20 IS
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size5.00 - 100.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.02
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2011:08:11 02:09:31
Exposure Time1/13 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length15.96 mm
Image Width4000
Image Height3000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
ISO Speed RatingAuto
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeFull Auto
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance0.570 m
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Image Number111-0406
>>
>>3032131
Pick a scene from a film that you hate and rewrite it to make it good
>>
>>3032131
Go out and walk for a month
>>
>>3031786
What this guy is saying is right. I don't think I've heard a dumber thing in these threads than 'adding grain makes footage from different cameras come together more seamlessly'.

You make cameras look similar by:
- shooting correctly (not overexposing, getting the settings to match, etc)
- using the best codecs you can in each camera
- ideally using similar gamma curves
- color grading. you need a single pass over the film to match things in a basic way. Further passes will polish things even more.

Added grain is maybe, maybe a stylistic choice if you want to make hipster videos, but not in any way a solution to match cameras. Gamma curves, sensor types and color science between the cameras is what you have to worry about, not fake film grain.
>>
File: 1476832595122.jpg (28KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
1476832595122.jpg
28KB, 268x265px
>>3032161
I'm pretty sure that the idea of blending footage together with the aid of grain doesn't necessarily mean refusing all attention to exposure and grading, it's more of a general resolution thing when you're working without any budget for equipment. If you're shooting with a Canon 7D MkII as a primary and a Lumix GF3 as a secondary under the exact same conditions then one will inevitably have a crispier image than the other and adding a grain mask, if you feel artistically inclined to do so, can work as a forced quality standardization of sorts. That anon is correct in pointing out that intentionally toning down the quality of your image sounds incredibly retarded, but then again, it is a viable choice if you enjoy the way it looks and don't have the resources to do any better.

Not saying it's something you should do in every single project but if you're a poorfag then there isn't too much of a choice.
>>
File: IMG_4256.jpg (72KB, 506x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4256.jpg
72KB, 506x425px
So, what now?

Image Width506
Image Height425
>>
>>3032373
Camera companies get a kick in the face when they realise that people who want cinema cameras buy FS7s or c100s, while most people now want smaller mirrorlesses or DSLRs due to their simplicity, ergonomics and lightweight

(although it's probably better than an FS7 so, with brand awareness, maybe I'm talking bullshit)
>>
I just got an A7s and holy shit, the low light really is astonishing. Like I've never seen anything close to this, not even out of expensive ass hollywood productions. I know the camera's a few years old now but holy fuck what a revolution for indie filmmaking, really filmmaking in general.
>>
>>3032533

Not really. Low light is garbage tier. Very low contrast, terrible angles and generally looks lousy.

About the only mindblowing thing I've seen out of the A7s in the last 3 years is some realtime footage of aurora borealis. Everything else is pretty meh.
>>
>>3032533
>>3032535
I second this. I see so many people praising the camera, but really the low light capbility is only useful if you're doing documentary or something like that. For fiction most of the time I've seen it ised people use it as an excuse not to light a scene properly, so, first, the footage comes out boring and bland and second, looks mushy and low contrast/low color range. If everything in the scene is lit between zone 3 and 4 you just won't end up with a pleasing image no matter how good your camera is in low light.

Mind you I say this as a DP not as a 'filmmaker' in general, for generalists i can see the appeal, but it's still lowering the overall quality of their work if they think what they come up with is acceptable.
>>
>>3032533
the shill is real
>>
>>3032607
It's a unique tool used by a lot of film makers ya dumbo.
>>
>>3032577
>if you're doing documentary or something like that.
Every time I see nature documentaries from BBC, it makes my head spin and I just wish they upgraded their shitty gear already.

Even the newer ones from 2014~2015 really suck, especially when they try to get night time footage.
>>
File: 1002496.jpg (45KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1002496.jpg
45KB, 1024x768px
So i want to get into video (docs), my friend has a sony hdr-cx410 in good condition camcorder and he is asking 150 bucks for it. Its a pretty good deal imo considering when it launched 3,5 years ago it was priced at 600 bucks new. Should i buy a cheapo entrylevel dslr or take this deal.
>>
>>3032679
Without looking up the specs, that sounds decent. Compare that against the price of buying on 2nd hand on ebay, the price of a modern equivalent model and check out some footage on youtube
>>
File: IMG-20151220-WA0001.jpg (54KB, 690x690px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151220-WA0001.jpg
54KB, 690x690px
New fag here, new to film and cameras, i have a class about short films and since this is my first i wanted some motivation.

So some guy from /lit/ posted kind of a poem? About "imposter syndrome" and it was so neat that i'm seriously thinking of doing my short film about that, about how the talented people make themselves much less of what they really are and private themselvs from what they really deserve. This, as opposite to the ones who get sucess based on lies and depraved methods.

Do you think this can be a good and interesting topic for a short film if i give it the right focus?
>>
>>3032726
Maybe but it's a damn big topic to make into a short film effectively. If by short we mean festival short, so ~15 mins.

There's a lot of character development there to cover in such a short time.
>>
>>3032684
heres the specs.

http://pastebin.com/GB371fgv
(tldr the most important ones i think)

Zoom Ratio (Optical)30x
F1.8-4.0
1/3.91 sensor (thats pretty good isnt it considering broadcast quality is around 1/2.8 right?)
Shutter Speed 1/6 - 1/10,000
Microphone JackStereo Minijack
HDMI® Output YES
Audio System Dolby® Digital 5.1ch
still Image SizeMax. 8.9 megapixels (16:9, 3984x2240)
Movie Resolution HD:1920x1080/50p

i cant really find anything under 150 dollars that could compete aside from a Canon EOS 1000D and Nikon D40
>>
>>3032761

You think so? And yes, i was talking about 10-15 minutes.

I think it would go like this:

>Middle aged hopeless man who has a shitty life, shitty job, shitty house and no family.
>Through the story he goes by, remembering the key moments that lead him to this unhappy life.
>Remembers all the times he was brilliant and his work and intelligence were promising.
>But he always teared them down to the point of giving credit to others.
>Also remembers how the most despiteful guys he knew are now very powerful people.
>At the end he realizes that even accepting, working and acknowledging our own habilities and intelligence, failure is still the major posibility.

So the message is like: "kek bro you are good at something? well, keep sabotaging yourself and your life will be shit, because even if you put all your effort, there are still great chances that you'll fail, but at least you tried"
>>
I'm currently seeing a deal for a pair of used Linkstar Bi-Color panels, half price.

2x 34*34cm panels for 350usd each.
1x 68*34cm panel for 600usd.

It's the 95 CRI version.

Should I go for the two small ones?

I have no proper lightsources, for video or photography.
And I don't like flash too much, hence why I am interested in these panels.
>>
>>3032858
Well, I'm not a screenwriter nor do I want to be, but I'll say that if you did it in the way you describe it it might feel like a PSA on impostor syndrome, too roughly sketched out. You'll cover a lot of time with not a lot of depth. But the idea is interesting something could be made of it.
>>
File: IMG-20170304-WA0004.jpg (57KB, 718x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170304-WA0004.jpg
57KB, 718x720px
>>3033002

I think the lenght will be 20 minutes the less.

I'm already working on the script but, since it's for a class i don't have much time, like 2 months or so...

What's the best way to schedule all the pre production and production? I
>>
>>3033535
Have someone else helping you out? I know you have 2 months, but don't rush it, it may affect the overall quality of it.

Good luck
>>
How do you guys deal with the crushing sadness and loneliness that comes with the job?
(or maybe it's just me and i'm being a little emofag)
>>
>>3028324
*$70
>>
Hey guys, just saw something that blew my mind in terms of coolness so I thought I'd share with the class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PkgQQqpH2M

>inb4 some cynical git says how easy and unoriginal it is
>>
>>3035436
fair enough, that's pretty interesting. Now just need to find an interesting way to use the effect.
>>
>>3035436
is it 2012 again?
>>
Bros, I'm booked for a test shoot at the end of the week.

However, I'm compelled to actually shoot some video for the first time ever and attempt to create a 40-60 second clip and maybe small snippets for social media. What is a good, simple video editor to start off with that I can learn from and develop my editing skills. Also, will mp4 be adequate for what I want to do?

As confident as I am with photography, I have no idea what to do when it comes to this. Please respond.
>>
>>3035733

Just be confident bro, read and watch videos about cinematic shots and try to film the ones you like. Also, don't use the same type of shot
for two following sequences. If it's for social media i think mp4 is just fine. You'll be ok man.
----------

Does anyone know how can i archieve a color grading and color correction like the one on this video? i seriously like it, does it have a name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Yc3HhSl1Q
>>
File: Captura.png (217KB, 613x461px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
217KB, 613x461px
>>3032726
>>3032858
>>3033535

Samefag here, would you guys recommend me creating my own righ like pic related?

I really can't afford much more.
>>
>>3035796
Cheers bruv. Software editing recommendations for a beginner?
>>
>>3035796
About the grading: color grading styles don't usually have names. But to approximate this you're lookin at pretty hard lighting in camera, good contrast curve in grading. Then a lot of yellow split into the highlights (edging towards green rather than orange) and a bit of blue split into shadows. Depending on what camera you shoot on and lighting conditions, maybe a bit of desaturation in the highlights, or at least removing the blue from the highlights (with color/hue/luminance picker).

But be careful as this is pretty ridiculous color grading, it'll only work for certain projects

>>3035859
If you've ever worked with lightroom or photoshop, get Premiere you'll understand it in a few hours.
>>
>>3035810
What would you need this for? If you want handheld get a cheap shoulder rig, if you want smooth shots get a cheap flycam, you can get either for under $100. I've used one of those before, a fig rig, it's not very useful and it's tiring to use for extended periods. I don't know why they exist
>>
>>3035649
yea did u miss the memo?
>>
I recently shot a 1min documentary on a Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6K, 'The Mechanic'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6oVWtugUyo

Lit with Tungsten/practical fluro's - i'm a cinematographer primarily, interested to see what you guys think.
>>
>>3035979
I didn't imagine that was made by someone on here. The cinematography is real top notch. It doesn't push any new boundaries, but very nicely composed.
>>
File: IMG_9867.jpg (2MB, 3456x5184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9867.jpg
2MB, 3456x5184px
Started filming my next short with my team, we're going full on 80's gory b-movies. Going to be a fun ride.
Here's a little pic from one the first night of filming.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6001.18000
Image Created2017:03:03 12:26:28
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length40.00 mm
Image Width3456
Image Height5184
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Unique Image IDDD301C9F575B4908B20D48F7384285D5
>>
>>3036050
jealous anon, it sounds fun
good luck

Do you mind if I ask what your budget is?
Are you gonna be buying the clothes you drench in blood specifically for the film?
>>
>>3036053
started with 100€ budget for fake blood and stuff for SFX, we already had cameras, sound gears etc...

Then, a friend of mine talked about the project to a local producer, who usually produce documentaries. Pitched him the project, he went full " lol okay sounds fun i'm in", he contacted some investors ( local sponsors, my townhall... ) and raised 16000€. Our goal is to sell it to a TV channel, and if it doesn't work, it'll go in festivals... And maybe if the reviews are good and there's enough interest from peoples/producers/investors in festivals, maybe try to produce a full-lenght ? We'll see.

All of the costumes exists multiples times, we have three times the SAME costumes for the main characters because he ends up covered in blood and guts at the end. And many of the costumes were bought specifically for the short yeah, but some shirts/jeans were from the actors themselves, we're still low-budget.
>>
>>3036053
Sorry for my broken english also, not my native language.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GZXwpb

Is this a good rig for video editing?
>>
>>3036069
That sounds amazing. I only ask because I plan on doing something similar soon and was curious about the logistics. That's amazing that you managed to raise so much.
Thanks for the response (sorry for not replying earlier, I've been writing university coursework).
>>
>>3036122

needs moar drives.
>>
File: D2857-1-3776.jpg (64KB, 377x377px) Image search: [Google]
D2857-1-3776.jpg
64KB, 377x377px
>>3035883
Thanks for the answer anon.

>A rig like pic related would be good then?

Also, as i mentioned, my budget is pretty low so my only camera is a t5i.

How can i make the most cinematic looking shortfilm with this t5i? I was thinking about getting a 50 mm f/1.8 STM lens for low light shots since it's very cheap, but i'm not sure.

What do you think?
>>
So while I was working my retail day-job, I met someone in the DVD section. We talked about movies for a bit, and eventually he pointed out a DVD for a tv show, and told me that he was the producer for it. I told him I was an aspiring filmmaker and asked him for some advice. We talked for a little, and he asked for a card. We aren't allowed to have business cards where I work, so he just gave me his email. He told me to send him an email some time that night and he would get to it later, since he was in production.

I'm not exactly sure what my email should say. I thought maybe I should include a resume, but I thought that might be too forward? I've mostly been working retail lately, and I can't say I was expecting to meet him there, so I don't exactly have any shorts or anything recent to show him. Should I just reintroduce myself?
>>
>>3036245
Ye that kind of cheapo shoulder rig ends up being more versatile and you can take it to other projects and so on. Full disclosure I would always always recommend getting the most 'proper' gear you can because it will save you money in the long run, but if you're just starting out that'll do fine.

Lens-wise, 50 is the most standard (or boring, if you will) lens, but it'll cover most situations ye. If you have no lens right now, I'd say get a zoom, something in the 20-85 range which would cover everything you get in a 'standard' prime lens kit. If not I'd personally go for a 35mm as I prefer the look of it over the 50 and it's great for medium shots/close-ups, in my opinion.

Be careful about 'low light', these days it's become kind of a meme in the worst sense. As I was sayig about the a7sII above, you'll always get a better picture if you expose properly rather than force the camera to read information that isn't there. Especially on a camera with low dynamic range like a DSLR. People obsess over cameras but all the older DP's I've talked to so far have said that the measure of a good cinematographer is how well they light, and the more I've done it the more I understand why.

If at all you can try to light your scenes because that'll lift whatever you do from the millions of other badly lit videos on the internet. A cheap thing you can make very successfully is a china ball. Get the largest paper latern you can from Ikea or whatever and either buy or make (if you know anything about electrical stuff pls don't electrocute yourself) a cable with a bulb holder and put in a 200-250W photoflood bulb and put the chinaball on over it, hanging the whole thing on a broomstick or whatever stick, and ideally plug it in through a dimmer.

It's a nice soft light that spreads well while still having some direction so it's great for lighting faces in close shots or for lifting the level of a room for wider shots.
>>
>>3025477
holy shit same, what'd you work on? I was a PA for a google commercial and my bosses had imdbs since they produced the amazing race
>>
>>3036399

Okay so a china ball is a good idea anon i'll definitely make it (don't worry i do know about electrical stuff).

Also, in my school they have 3 led lights like pic related, would they be useful for inside shots?

My main concern about getting a low light lens is because the short film will have a good amount of exterior scenes and at night so i was kind of worried.

If not the lens, how can i light my exteriors scenes?
>>
>>3036449
I got my personal page after I helped out on a professional short film in the summer
And then about a month ago maybe, my film that I directed got an imdb page because I submitted it through withoutabox

It's small steps, but it's something
>>
Who here also enjoys deep(er) focus? It seems every young person working with digital gear is obsessed with the shallowest DoF possible.
>>
File: Effect.jpg (126KB, 1453x759px) Image search: [Google]
Effect.jpg
126KB, 1453x759px
Hey /vid/ does anyone know what effects are used at
(same effect)
0:10
0:13
0:52

https://vimeo.com/195295524

PhotographerN56VB
>>
>>3035979
What do you even do on 4chan?
>>
So this might seem like a stupid question, but do cinematographers have any say or control over designing the shot composition or are they only in charge of directing the camera and lights?
>>
>>3036454
Yep I love LED's, just be careful mixing light temps of they're daylight balance. It can work of course but think before you do stuff. Also I'd recommend getting a few pieces of half and/or full diffusion to put on them as the light coming off is sometimes sort of scattered or too hard and nasty. With the diff on it's kind of like having softboxes.

If the LED's take batteries use them outside as well. If not, hard to say, try picking locations that are sort of 'lit' already, block scenes in such a way that actors go into and out of streetlights, shop lights, etc. You can shoot at 1.8 but you better be damn careful with your focus or have a focus puller.

>>3036522
Slightly deeper focus is where it's at my man. use lighting to make scenes nice instead of just throwing your background into the trash shooting at f1.4.

>>3036596
Depends on who you're working with. Someone put it really nicely by saying that the DP needs to fill in the director's gaps (which is often why DP's know more than directors about all sides of filmmaking). Some directors love working with actors but don't like camera stuff, so the DP ends up suggesting many camera positions and such. Some directors are very technical and want specific shots, in which case you end up with more time to light. The important thing is to be malleable and read your director, see how and when you can push. But you should remember that in the end the director has the veto, there are situations where you end up saying 'i think this is the wrong choice for X reason, but we'll do it your way' . Really the worst thing on a set is friction between heads of department, it slows everything down, the crew get tense and uncomfortable, god forbid the actors hearing it. Even if you'll end up with a crap shot, it's not worth hazarding the whole production, you'll get your way some other time, hell you might even be wrong in the first place!
>>
Is there any torrent for NeatVideo on After Effects for windows?

I can find old versions for Premiere on windows, but, those don't work with After Effects.

Thanks

[spoiler]Only using for school[/spoiler]
>>
Hey lads, newish to video, been reading and working on stuff for awhile have a G7 at the moment but will be upgrading to a GH4, or maybe even a GH5, soon.

I have some questions:

Is the sticky a good place to read abut technical stuff like bit rate, 10:10:10, etc?

What are you guys editing on and how? Is working offline viable for 4k footage? Everyone is buying 4k now but it takes a lot to edit or color grade 4k.
>>
>>3036557
>https://vimeo.com/195295524
god that shit is a mess.
>>
>>3036722
I rather like it. My videoreel is just a simple complilation of everything I made. I need to prove myself worthy to be hired as it wore. It has to look professional.

He has so many projects under his belt, he doesn't need to do that. He had fun and experimented making his reel. Rather jealous t b h.
>>
>>3036719
If it's in your price range, wait and get the GH5.

Sticky's fine but have a look at wolfcrow.com if you want to read about technical things. Also have a look on RED's site in the learning section, and on xdcam-user.com, which is about Sony cameras but some stuff crosses over of course.

Also ask here if you have any specific questions.

A 2015/16 gen Mac laptop can take 4K footage just fine, so if you can get something in that spec area you'll be ok

Also "10:10:10" doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>3036134
Sorry for the late answer too ! No problem, glad I helped :) !
>>
>>3036486
proud of you buddy
>>
>>3036522
Repenting

I fuck with deep focus
>>
>>3036928
Lol *representing

Though I am also repenting for many a blurred background in my day...
>>
I want to get a follow focus rig.

Just the rods and the focus rig.

What should I look for? Stay away from?
>>
Random question, anyone here know anything about the process of auditioning for a short film? They sent me a short script and told me to submit a video audition, but I'm not sure if they want a monologue or a reading from the script.
>>
>>3036946
tele audition is unprofessional in the first place. don't they have a place to make a proper interview? what kind of bullshit is this?
vis a vis there are no such problems, because they can simply tell you what they want you to do. learning your text would be sufficient.

but in this case, just ask them. and the beat would be to also tell them to either make a proper audition or give specific instructions for their shittery online fuckshit and that they should go fuck themselves shit out of their shit.
>>
>>3036557

Seconding this

What is the name of that effect or how can it be done?

For fuck sake his reel is pure gold.
>>
>>3035979
Very nice, did you go to school? If so where and when? I am curious because I am considering getting my MA in cinematography.

Im assuming you used a drone for those overhead shots? the only thing I was not a huge fan of was the light coming in around the 37 mark
>>
>>3036944
Stay away from cheap follow focuses. The next question is how serious are you about what you're using it for? If you're pretty serious there are some nice follow focuses for around £280 (so that's what, $350 or so?). Get one that can attach to both 15mm and 19mm rods, you might not need that right away but it means you won't need to buy a different one later one.

As for the rod system, I'd recommend getting some setup that will help you move quickly from handheld to tripod rather than having to unscrew several things. The plate I have is like a box with screw holes on the top and bottom and space for the rods in the middle, so it always stays on the camera and then i can easily put the shoulder pad on the back for handheld or take it off and put in the tripod plate for tripod. Get longish bars rather than shortish bars, you never know when you'll need a battery attachment or a follow focus + mattebox on there.
>>
>>3036964
Why are people so into this hyper digital fad? It's gross and is steeped in the weird Asian worship of specific brands of shoes and clothing like Adidas and Puma, makes me sick.

To each and his own though, desu I can only see this fad going on a little longer, people like Grimes brought it over to the US but I did like her Realiti video.
>>
>>3036974
cutting edge 90s nostalgia maybe
>>
>>3036944
Yeah I'm not into production of any kind, just purely hobby on a more serious level.

I think I have landed on the fotga mark 3 follow focus and rail rig.
It's about the price I'd like to spend too.

I mainly want the rig to be sturdy and this one seems to excel at that.

Comes in 15mm too, and has that quickrelease for thicker rods.
>>
>>3036974
>>3036977

I just like it and would like to apply it just for fun, but i understand your point.

Anyone who knows the name of that kind of effect?
>>
>>3035979
>>3035979
Follow up question, how do you like the Black Magic Ursuala 4.5K? Would you recommend it for an indi film maker?
>>
Fry's Electronics has these: http://www.frys.com/product/6299880

>Bower 5-Piece Digital Filter Kit

The link is for 52mm lenses, but they have other sizes as well. Are these good filters for the price or shitty ones?
>>
File: DJI_Mavic_Pro.jpg (89KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
DJI_Mavic_Pro.jpg
89KB, 720x480px
Anyone here got a Drone?
Specifically, the DJI Mavic Pro?

My DJI Mavic Pro arrived yesterday just in time for a project shoot. But, i'm having major issues straight out of the box:

> Open package, charge everything.
> Download the DJI GO 4 app, go through the motions of signing up to DJI, activate my drone, etc.
> Turn on the controller, plug in phone and relaunch the DJI GO app.
> Download latest firmware, as prompted.
> It gets to 39% and stops for a few minutes.
> Suddenly, phonecall from my gf. She's stuck miles away and I have to come get her, she's got a show tonight.
> Get ready to leave immediately
> Phone rings. "Don't worry, it's all sorted now. I have a lift home."
> Okay, right, so back to the Firmware update.

> Relaunch app, no idea if the firmware completed or not. I assume it didn't, because I had to answer the phone. Wether the update runs in the background or not, I have no idea.

> Decide best thing to do at this point is reset the firmware cache and start again from scratch.
> Now, my RC won't connect to my phone, or my drone. It's constantly stuck in "connecting..."

>I've tried using the cable and directly connecting my RC to DJI Assistant 2 (on my phone, on my mac, on my pc), but even that doesn't recognise the RC. The cable is fine, i've tried it on the Drone and it recognises it. The problem is isolated to the RC.

> Spend the best part of yesterday looking through forums and apparently a lot of people have the same issue. the Firmware update got to 30-40% and then froze (I happened to answer my phone during the freeze, backing out of the App during the freeze)

Do I have to send this back to China?
No kidding, it took 5 months between pre-order and now to receive it. I'm fucking shitting myself at the prospect of going through all that shit again.

I know it's a long shot but i've tried everything I can think, can anyone here help?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image Created2016:09:23 11:26:22
Image Width1200
Image Height800
>>
File: snapchat.png (10KB, 663x109px) Image search: [Google]
snapchat.png
10KB, 663x109px
https://www.lightsfilmschool.com/

has anyone tried this place? It seems like a really cheap alternative to film school. I'm just now getting into filmmaking and thought this would help. The production team I worked with on a project (who were all pretty successful hollywood producers) told me I didn't need film school at all, but I'd still really like to do an introduction type course and then learn on my own.
>>
>>3037331
Do not give any money to this.

Just do these things if you want an introduction to filmmaking, and by that I mean an EFFECTIVE one :

- Check YouTube for masterclasses, tutorials, how-to, camera test... youtube is a GOLDMINE of filmmaking teaching, entire channels are dedicated to this : filmriot, DSLR guide, every frame a painting...

- Read books, A LOT OF BOOKS, there are HUNDREDS of books on filmmaking : writing, filming, acting, production... Also, read about your favorites directors.

- Practice : theory is good, but once your on a film set, you understand one thing :

theory is fucking useless when you don't have practice. So go out, film some stuff, edit a short movie, find your flaws and what you can improve, and then do it again, better. etc... That's how you learn, not by listening to cheap courses online.

Now go out and film stuff.
>>
>>3036557
What's the song called?
>>
>>3037300
Try removing the batteries from the drone.
>>
>>3037366
I just want to second this
There's so much available online and in stores, if you're thinking about film school either go to a top school or forget about it
>>
>>3037366
>>3037676
alright ty
>>
>>3036944
I can recommend the Fotga DP500III which costs about 190$ for 15mm (more expensive for 19mm or both with adapter). It has little play and has is nicely built. According to my research 5 month ago, it has assumably the best cost-benefit ratio.
>>
>>3037808
I have the one with both 15 and 19mm fittings and it's great, no play that I can feel, smooth if you put the wheel on either side or with the little arm extension, and the focus ring is great because it's glossy so easy to wipe off marks. Also fits well on both types of bars and easy to attach/detach. For the price I don't think you can find a better one, and honestly I've used more expensive Arri ones and there's no difference
>>
Is there a way Canon DSLR's can tell you what focal length you are currently at with a zoom lens without magic lantern?
>>
File: that's that.png (201KB, 767x299px) Image search: [Google]
that's that.png
201KB, 767x299px
>love movies
>want to make them
>watch shitloads of filmmaking tutorials on youtube
>learn all sorts of things about writing, camera use, cinematography, etc.
>buy camera, lenses, lights, etc.
>no ideas for movies
>>
>>3038032
Go outside.
Watch people instead of videos.
Keep walking until you have an idea.

Then, for the love of God, write it down.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-12-22-30-22.png (367KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-12-22-30-22.png
367KB, 720x1280px
>>3024985
Is this a good deal? Is the camera any good?
>>
>>3038137
NO. NEVER BUY THESE. I REPEAT. NEVER. THEY ARE CHEAP GARBAGE USED TO LURE EAGER FILM MAKERS INTO BUYING SHIT.

Do the research, save some money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEFHXt94XWY
>>
I've always loved filmmaking but just recently i got into it actively.

So i gotta make a short film for school and i've been thinking many ideas and i ended up with two different stories.

Some of my friends like one, some others like the other story.

I'm really nervous to make a choice of which one is going to be the most accepted by people (All the shortfilms the class will produce will be proyected at local movie theaters) so i'm scared as fuck to fail and be shown as an insult to filmmaking.

What should i do?
Am i doing wrong if i give too much consideration to other's opinion?
>>
>>3038230
in fact both of your films will either be decent or an insult to filmmaking. IF one would be decent and one an insult, you'd know exactly which one to do.
>>
>>3031564
If I ever magically come into money I''m gonna be the next Wiseau.
>>
>>3031723
>my company
coercing your friends into doing freelance wedding videography doesn't make a company
>>
>>3038381
well I mean "technically"...
>>
>>3038224
by "these", do you mean bundles in general? I almost bought a canon 80D bundle for like $1500 and was gonna check here to see if I'm better off just getting all the equipment myself, but the latter seems more obvious now
>>
File: 1462891948342.jpg (50KB, 353x251px) Image search: [Google]
1462891948342.jpg
50KB, 353x251px
>>3038430
>>3038137

Disregard >>3038224

Buy it now goyim. Fall for the delicious trap of the crop bundle. Whenever a deal this good appears, it has to be nothing but the best value and quality.
>>
>>3038444
i had a hunch about that. thank you trips
>>
>>3038381
$190k profit last year. atm producing a tv show for amazon prime. firm since '04. 21 employees. I call it a company, you can call whatever you want. Mr. 2nd hand cars salesman.
>>
File: tripod.png (20KB, 466x164px) Image search: [Google]
tripod.png
20KB, 466x164px
>>
File: foto112.jpg (373KB, 910x1134px) Image search: [Google]
foto112.jpg
373KB, 910x1134px
I'm looking for a good cheap shoulder rig and i read about this one http://www.cowboystudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SHOULDER%20SUPPORT

I was thinking about giving it a shot but i also read some guys saying that it got broken and it took their cameras with it. Anyone here has used it? Is it worth for a beginner?

Also, i also want to buy a cheap ass dolly for side shots and close ups, is pic related good? I was even planning on doing it myself.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Image Width910
Image Height1134
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2016:08:17 16:57:29
Image Width910
Image Height1134
>>
>>3038484
jokes on you i'm still in school
you could hire me in a couple of years and you'll never ever know that i'm secretly a huge cunt
>>
>>3038749
I'll notice eventually ..
>>
>make film with blood, sweat and tears, trying to pay homage to the greats and display more than the average generic short film
>get meh reaction
>half-ass generic short film that's literally 90% dialogue
>"omg anon, this is your best film by far!"

life is suffering
>>
>>3039958
The right people will get it.
>>
>>3025364
>night scenes
>log

lmao
>>
>group project
>group is mostly women
>made sure I shot it right, cinematography is everything
>DSLR with 50mm lens
>good lighting
>low ISO
>looks great
>cleavage
>cleavage everywhere

That alone is going to bomb the grade. Do you think there would be any backlash if I rotoscoped an undershirt over that shit in the few shots you would see any or expect to see it?
>>
Is there any programs that will let me batch change the timecode in the metadata?
>>
>>3040214
Pretend it's a statement on the male gaze.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>3040373

NEW THREAD
>>3040373
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.