[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Nine 2016

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 22

How'd you do this year /p/? post your best nine including the total likes

https://2016bestnine.com/
>>
Holy shit this is probably the most cancerous way of measuring "success" I've ever actually seen.

it assumes your most popular social media posts are the best photos, disregarding context (like, GEE, MAYBE YOU GOT ENGAGED THIS YEAR AND MADE A POST ABOUT IT)
>>
>>2989680
Ive seen hundreds of better versions of all of these.
Is photography like collecting pokemon to you?
>>
>>2989684
Savage from anon, but he's right. All images these are cliche
>>
>>2989683
Well, I didn't get engaged this year, I only post photos. So its at least a measurement of other people out there enjoying my posts. Last year I got 1,623 likes to 37 posts, this year, I got almost 20x more interactions with my instagram on 50% less posts. So looking at it as a year to year thing, I think it's a good way to see in a way. Of course this isn't measuring actual growth in photo skills. Just precense on social media. And if you think social media is pointless, that's a either indicating that you have an insignificant social media following (people don't really like it), or you feel like you're above it for some reason. Im only asking for people to show how many likes they got, calm down.

>>2989684
Maybe some, but not all. Some of those were taken in my neighborhood, so it's very unlikely you've seen a few of those spots. But yeah, I got on photo trips to popular spots. Why not? 4 of those photos were from one trip to the southwest, one was from a paid work I did and shot photos on my off time, 1 was from a trip I did last winter to Yosemite, and 3 were from where I live. All that comment is telling me is that you would never even consider going to yosemite or the southwest because you know you'd never be able to take a photo that's good enough. I wanted to go, so I road tripped it and had a good time in a place I wanted to see for my entire life, what's there to complain about? I made the best of the weather that I had.
>>
>>2989689
Yeah, they might be cliche, but like I said in my post responding to him, Im not going to go to yosemite and not take a photo because it's been taken before. That's a really stupid way to think about photography. And in my mind, taking photos that other people have taken before is a good way to gauge your photographic skills. Look at photographers that you look up to, and see what you could've done better. Nothing wrong with it.

If you take a trip to yosemite, please, post photos that wouldn't be considered cliche. It's tough. And that wasn't my only photo from that Trip, that just happened to be the one people liked the most, which goes for all of them

They might be cliche, but that's what people like, sorry
>>
>>2989684
>He doesn't play Photography Go! with his normie friends

Top lel m8
>>
File: 1397214154818.jpg (106KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1397214154818.jpg
106KB, 1920x1080px
If ur a troll well done OP because your blatantly cretinous attitude just makes me want to heap abuse on you

all that instagram dilettantes like yourself are doing is spinning the hamster wheel of visual ideology
>>
My best 9 suck two of them are the cliche shot of taking a picture of the ground glass on a medium format camera. That how awful it was.
>>
>>2989706
Not trolling. Everyone elses cretinous attitude towards a simple topic is typical /p/. Im sure had I posted my account with very few likes I wouldn't have received any hate, but for some reason, a simple post just asking how well everyone did on instagram triggered a few people for no reason, instantly ridiculing my photos for being cliche and shitty. I just remember this thread from last year, so I started one for this year, no big deal
>>
>>2989710
Just post it, it doesn't matter if its cliche, Im sure somebody will enjoy it.
>>
>Idiots in this thread saying ip' s pics are cliche
>implying just about every image type and angle hasn't already been done by 80% of the worlds photigraphers.
> 99% of the autists replying in this thread haven't even made $5 from an yet. Least of all their non cliche , never been done before in the history of man kind , seen , non conformist , 5 edged 9 me image.

Top lel lads
>>
>mediocre landscape shit
>instagram
I heard that photography is like gardening in that it's good for anxiety and other mental illnesses. Keep on truckin'.

>>2989713
>>2989711
>>2989697
>>2989692
>Im
>Im
>Im
>instantly ridiculing my photos for being cliche and shitty.
I'd ridicule you for being a bad cliche, not for your photos being cliche.
heh, nice job.

>>2989722
Wedding photographer spotted.
>>
>>2989753
>photography is like gardening in that it's good for anxiety and other mental illnesses
>posts on photography forum

Whats your point? Im cliche, but my photos arent? Not sure what you're even implying?

>Wedding photographer spotted.
aka person who makes money taking photos. Why are you hating on that guy?
>>
File: 1301722724434.jpg (6KB, 238x236px) Image search: [Google]
1301722724434.jpg
6KB, 238x236px
>>2989680
>narrows
>dumbo
>monument valley
>>
>>2989766
Actually, those are slot canyons, not the narrows in Zion. What's wrong with those spots?
>>
>>2989770
nothing man just messing with ya
>>
>>2989770
>>2989771

the dumbo one does irk me tho. because it's like a fucking poster at ikea
>>
>>2989758
>Not sure what you're even implying?
I'm pointing out that your photography is boring and uninspired to me. It's photography that I'd say isn't art but an exercise in leaving your house and having a hobby. I think it's neat that you are getting out of your house and you're doing something you hopefully enjoy. Although I get a distinct sense that you're the same person that comes into one of alex's threads and posts a comment with the words "good" and "great" in it with little else to say.

>Whats
>Im
>You're
I just. I don't get you m80.
I think you may have stumbled into the wrong place, I hope you don't mind me asking but do you have a mental illness? I'm just curious after seeing even your response to my post.

>Why are you hating on that guy?
That's the opposite of what I'm doing. Take life a little less seriously, landscape fags are somehow more uptight than wedding photographers and less funny.
>>
>>2989773
I get you, I know it's a popular spot. But I was there for work, and Im not going to avoid taking a photo of that spot just because it's cliche. That's been my best selling print. So yeah, its a popular spot, but its what people want. I don't get the hate for popular images?
>>
File: isaak.cole_full (1).jpg (146KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
isaak.cole_full (1).jpg
146KB, 1080x1350px
My more popular posts seem to be astro stuff, despite being only a small percentage of what I post. As mentioned above, popularity in the form of likes isn't at all a good measurement of actual photo quality, but still interesting nonetheless.

OP, you have some sweet shots.
>>
>>2989778
It doesn't have to be inspiring for you, all that matters is that I like going to the spots, and people enjoy the prints that they buy. No, I don't jizz over alexs photos, I did ask him questions about things he does to make more money.

>do you have a mental illness?

LOL what?? I just wanted to start a thread for other people to post their photos. Notice nobody is willing to post their own photos? A photography board wont even post their own photos, but would rather instead try to imply that taking photos the general public enjoys is a stupid thing to do.

Would you mind posting one of your photos? or your best nine? (if you have instagram)
>>
>>2989781
Thank you for actually posting photos!

For that first shot, is that like a go pro drone, or one that can actually carry your dslr?
>>
>>2989680
Really nice. Don't have an instagram myself though. Just felt like diluting all the negativity in this thread. Great job, OP!
>>
>>2989784
Thank you!

Just curious, is there a reason you kept away from instagram? mine is only like a year old because there was rumor that instagram owned the rights to your photos, so I was afraid of that, but turns out its obviously false
>>
>>2989783
GoPro H4B stuck on the end of a mini racing drone. Didn't have much space in my luggage for aerial equip so had to take the smallest things I could. Chucked it up in the air for 30 sec and used a screengrab from the 4K video which came out okay for IG, but still terrible quality (which is curious considering it was the most popular).
>>
>>2989786
Nice. I definitely wouldn't mind getting a drone at some point in the future. It looks like good quality on instagram, luckily the lower resolution makes imperfections un-noticable. Looks good to me though
>>
>>2989788
Definitely good fun & would recommend, have been eyeing off a Phantom 4 or Mavic for a while now myself. I do have a larger rig that'll carry an A7 or similar but it takes too long to set up (and the risk of losing the camera as well as rig isn't worth it), so I honestly think something ready-to-fly is the way to go.
>>
>>2989791
What kind of rig do you have for the a7? But yeah, i agree. it seems like ready to fly would be good enough for 99% of the stuff out there
>>
File: michaelrodriguezphoto_full.jpg (96KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
michaelrodriguezphoto_full.jpg
96KB, 1080x1350px
Stuff V.2
>>
File: _20161227_134009.jpg (522KB, 1440x1531px) Image search: [Google]
_20161227_134009.jpg
522KB, 1440x1531px
2 photos of cameras and 3 throwbacks from pre-2016. I don't treat instapoop as a portfolio or anything though. I'd say half of my posts had no photographic merit.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAndroid Gallery
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016:12:27 13:40:10
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Width1440
Image Height1531
>>
>>2989692
>Just precense on social media
Good thing you have a social media presence. Who cares if you can't spell and have no original thoughts to express, at least you've made the channels to push further non-information through, contributing to our society of absolutely fucking nothing.
>>
>>2989680
>including the total likes
>implying likes are a valid measure of quality
>>
>>2989692
>All that comment is telling me is that you would never even consider going to yosemite or the southwest because you know you'd never be able to take a photo that's good enough.
>he actually thinks there are zero new angles or thoughts to be had in gigantic national parks
jesus
>>
File: argument-typo.jpg (32KB, 735x541px) Image search: [Google]
argument-typo.jpg
32KB, 735x541px
>>2989975
nice argument
>>
>>2989978
>he actually thinks you can't take a photo from a certain spot because someone else has done it before, because it's a good angle.

So you won't go take a photo of half dome from glacier point just because it's been done before? How do you know I didn't take shots from different angles?

>>2989976
There's no need to be angry. You can have good social media too if you really wanted
>>
File: fuji7736-copy-1639610.jpg (642KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fuji7736-copy-1639610.jpg
642KB, 1800x1200px
>>2989722
>>implying just about every image type and angle hasn't already been done by 80% of the worlds photigraphers.
This is so often repeated by people that have clearly never actually tried to disprove it.
Pic related is from the Grand Canyon. It's a very, very easy photo to take. The view is from one of the most popular vantage points there is.

And yet its actually not a very common composition or photo. I've only ever found a handful of photos of the same subject/composition, and I'd frankly say that mine is the strongest example I've ever seen of it.

Google image search can decode the viewpoint to figure out it's a view of the Tanner Trail, and yet 99.99% of photographers that visit the Canyon never seem to tilt their camera down towards it and snap.

Most people just spot the one view they've seen before, snap it, then walk away. That doesn't mean there's nothing left there. It means you're naturally prejudiced towards a certain view of the scene and have made no effort to escape the prejudice.
>>
>>2989983
In my defense, my main source of income is selling prints. And when people see a picture of new york, they generally enjoy pictures of things they recognize. Same with Yosemite, they'd rather see a photo of half dome instead of a picture of something they don't recognize.

I won't deny that my photos aren't a bit cliche, but I've got the photos from those spots that arent cliche as well, they just don't do as well on Instagram
>>
>>2989998
>In my defense, my main source of income is selling prints.
Why would you lie on a website that you used your real name on
>>
>>2989999
quads don't lie
>As we walked out onto the lake bed, these rocks stuck out in stark contrast to the completely flat playa. We walked for miles to find the best rocks to photograph, this was one of them.
but OP clearly does, routinely
>>
>>2989999
Yes, I'm aware.
>>2990000
Thanks, glad you like my photos!
>>
>>2990000
What's OP lying about in the greentext?
>>
>>2990000
>We walked for miles to find the best rocks
how do you know the best rocks from the worst rocks and when to stop walking for miles
>>
>>2990003

>how do you know the best rocks from the worst rocks
You obviously haven't been to the racetrack there in death valley. The lake bed is roughly 2 miles by a half mile, and the rocks are spread around everywhere. I went there before the sun set to scout for the rocks that had long trails behind them that were visible, and also were halfway decent looking rocks. I walked close to 3 miles on that lake bed looking at all the rocks and taking photos of a bunch of them.

>and when to stop walking for miles

When it got too dark to see I stopped by my favorite rock and took some milkyway photos. That's when I stopped walking.
>>
>>2989998
>In my defense,
Spend less time defending yourself for being generic and falling into generic patterns and spend more time on developing your personal brand.

>when people see a picture of new york, they generally enjoy pictures of things they recognize
Congratulations, you've just defended the "art" of counterfeit Mona Lisas.

But are you actually taking photos for tourists? Or are you just using them as a wedge to distance yourself from a hard, insightful look into the quality of your work, self-described as;
"America's quickly emerging photographer, Kaz Canning, travels the U.S. bringing the most visually mastered images back from all corners of the country."

"At an early age, Kaz had always shown an interest and appreciation for art. His first interest was drawing, but when his grandfather gave him his first camera, Kaz's path was immediately changed. He spent the better part of a year learning the ins and outs of the camera. His early talents were recognized through his community, and he was offered a job as an assistant photographer at age 15. This opportunity allowed him to greatly hone in his skills at recognizing the intricacies of lighting and also introduced him to the world of professional photography.
By the age of 18 Kaz received several awards for his sports and landscape photography. During his senior year in high school, Kaz was given the opportunity to be head photographer for an emerging magazine in San Diego. It was this experience that solidified Kaz's dream of making his passion a living.

Today, Kaz travels tens of thousands of miles each year across all of North America capturing stunning landscapes and distinct architecture. People are naturally drawn to his unique visual perspective that captures brilliant color, rhythmic patterns, and magnificent lighting."

Are these cringe-fueling artists statements in keeping with the impression of your work, or is your work an attempt at projecting your artists statement into reality?
>>
>>2990007
>The lake bed is roughly 2 miles by a half mile
>I walked close to 3 miles
That's .75 miles less than the average human walks in their day to day life.
I'm not trying to argue with you, just contextualizing the distance for you.
>>
>>2990009
Thank you for at least looking at my facebook page, LOL. The most recent photo I posted on there was taken over a year and a half ago.

>But are you actually taking photos for tourists? Or are you just using them as a wedge to distance yourself from a hard, insightful look into the quality of your work, self-described as

That's an interesting take at it I guess. It's not like I'm taking tourist photos of things here in San Diego and selling photos at a card stand. There are people that do that and I don't see what's wrong with that. And I guess that would be considered selling to tourists. But I don't see how selling a photo of dumbo to someone that lives in San Diego would be considered selling to Tourists.

Yeah, I wrote that like 3 years ago, and I completely agree its cringey now. I've given up on facebook though, it's no longer beneficial to keep up with it anymore.

Since you know so much about developing your personal brand, can I see what your brand is like?
>>
File: 35mmbandit_full.jpg (124KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
35mmbandit_full.jpg
124KB, 1080x1350px
Stopped posting over a month ago. Bit bored with Insta, desu.
>>
>>2990014
>Since you know so much about developing your personal brand, can I see what your brand is like?
I'm not trying to build a brand. I just recognize flawed attempts at it.
>>
>>2990010
Yeah, I know. But to the average person, when you tell them that you walked for miles to look for a photo, it sounds more impressive than just saying you walked around for a while.

Also, if you haven't been the racetrack in death valley, it's a pretty cool experience, I would definitely recommend it
>>
>>2990017
>But to the average person, when you tell them that you walked for miles to look for a photo, it sounds more impressive than just saying you walked around for a while.
Are you Jewish?
>>
>>2990016
Cool. I agree with you on this, I'll get around to changing it at some point.
>>
>>2990018
LOL. Not in practice, but it might be possible genetically. I'm too paranoid of the government to take a 23 and me. I do look Jewish though, at least that's what people always ask me
>>
>>2990021
I don't know what you look like, I was just going off of
>But to the average person, when you tell them that you walked for miles to look for a photo, it sounds more impressive than just saying you walked around for a while.
That's a greedy merchant remark if I've ever seen one
>>
>>2990023
LOL, yeah I get what you're saying. That's what a lot of the descriptions I do are like. I tell the truth by frame it in a way that makes it sound better

a few examples:

>some old cracked mud, probably the bed of a dried up lake, was uncovered by the brutal winds of the desert.

It wasn't actually windy that day, but it certainly was windy at some point which is what uncovered the sand dune I was taking pictures of

>My first location I visited was down in Imperial Beach near Mexico, but after visiting, I wasn't satisfied with that area

Naming Mexico makes it sound like it's a long distance, but mexico borders san diego, so it's only like a 25 minute drive to get to that beach.

>Coming through this canyon is an unreal experience. Our Native American Guide is rushing us from light beam to light beam

Just adding in the Native American Guide makes it sound special, when its just tour guide on navajo land.

I none of it is lying or even embellishing, its just story telling in a way. One of the benefits of photography over other forms of art is that you're actually required to go to locations. So you have to use those stories to leverage a selling point. These people want the stories to go along with it, it makes them feel adventurous by being able to tell their guests how the photographer had to travel great distances to get the photo they spent good money on.
>>
>>2990026
>I tell the truth by frame it in a way that makes it sound better
No, you force simpleminded normies to think your photos are more worthwhile than they are by the use of verbose salesman tactics.
Historically, you'd have been a snakeoil salesman.
>>
>>2990026
>One of the benefits of photography over other forms of art is that you're actually required to go to locations.
Most people consider this one of the barriers to considering photography a true artform, and that's why actual photographers that are "artists" usually fall into categories of interpretive work or long term projects exploring individual themes.

You refer to yourself as a "fine artist" but landscape photographers rarely achieve such a distinction, and in truth you're simply flexing an ideological uncertainty as to your own identity. Strange, really.
>>
The worst part isn't that OP's photos are unoriginal and poorly executed pieces of kitschy shit. The worst part is that he probably believes all his own bullshit about being a creative artist
>>
File: moon.god.jpg (119KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
moon.god.jpg
119KB, 1080x1080px
>>
>>2990027
>use of verbose salesman tactics
I guess if you want to put it like that. At the end of the day, if you're selling, you can't make your photos sound boring.

Saying "I traveled miles down to Imperial beach, near Mexico" sounds a lot better than "I went to the beach". I won't lie about an experience, because that would be dishonest. People want to hear the stories, and they want to be able to tell the stories too
>>
>>2990030
What city is this? I like the dam photo (or what I assume is a dam) on the bottom left
>>
>>2990031
>At the end of the day, if you're selling, you can't make your photos sound boring.
Stop roleplaying as if you make significant income from photography.

>I won't lie about an experience
Upselling is, in fact, lying.

>People want to hear the stories
No, most people don't care to read a caption for a photo, absolute hubris on your part. If you want people to read your "mesmerizing" writing talents, be a writer, not a photographer.

>they want to be able to tell the stories too
Do you even believe the bullshit you type? Have you ever been forced to actually look into a mirror, fully naked?
>>
>>2990028
>flexing an ideological uncertainty as to your own identity. Strange, really.

Can you elaborate further on this? Im kind of interested in what you mean exactly.

>>2990029
That was a good burn, good job buddy
>>
>>2990035
>Can you elaborate further on this? Im kind of interested in what you mean exactly.
You never learned what words meant, only that its effective to use them with heavy implications.
Like most people that call themselves fine artists and make their watermarks a variation on the aperture blade shape.
>>
>>2990034
>Stop roleplaying as if you make significant income from photography.

I didn't say I make my living from photography, I said it's my main source of income

>Upselling is, in fact, lying.
No it's not. I really did walk for miles on that lake bed. There's not a single lie in that statement

>most people don't care to read a caption for a photo

I agree. But in face to face interactions, they do like to hear about the photos. And thank you for your compliment of my writing "talents" I have actually written some magazine articles

>Do you even believe the bullshit you type?
I assume they want to. There's really no way for me to "test" my theory, but it makes sense that they would be more likely to buy it if theres a story to go along with it rather than a photo with no context.
>>
>>2990038
>I didn't say I make my living from photography, I said it's my main source of income
Yeah, that's dishonesty. I'm not surprised you fail to grasp the point, since you also don't see anything wrong with your photo descriptions that make HONY seem completely forgivable by comparison.
>>
>>2990038
>And thank you for your compliment of my writing "talents" I have actually written some magazine articles
-Never start a sentence with "And."
-backhanded compliments are actually critique, not compliment
-this is a run-on sentence.

Was it a highschool 'zine?
>>
>>2990037
>You never learned what words meant, only that its effective to use them with heavy implications.

I know what words mean, and I doubt that my situation would be considered "heavy implications"

Do you do photography, or do you just talk about it on a Japanese anime board? I'd really like to see it
>>
>>2990034
Stop shitting up this guy's thread, isi.
>>
>>2990041
it's isi/anonym0us that's shitting on you
his/her laughable website is jamiewilliams.22slides.com

ignore the foul cunt and get on with your photos, you'll sleep better
ta!
>>
>>2990039
>Yeah, that's dishonesty.

it's really not though. It's fine, I do appreciate your CC, and will take it into account in the future

>>2990040
Yeah, I'm not writing any serious stuff here, I don't really care about the grammar and don't spell check it right now

>Was it a highschool 'zine?
No, at the time I wrote the articles, it was the largest Landscape photography magazine in circulation on iTunes, made the cover on one of them too.
>>
>>2990043
Thank you! LOL, i've had a few run ins with her, and she baits me everytime. I don't mind a good photography debate every once in a while.

I am going to bed now though, I'm traveling tomorrow.
>>
File: 084.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
102KB, 300x256px
>>2990044
>at the time I wrote the articles, it was the largest Landscape photography magazine in circulation on iTunes
>on iTunes
>>
>>2990045
>not realizing you've been double-baited
isi already took shots at this thread with her name on, I don't see why she'd bother to tripdrop to continue
>>
>>2990046
Yeah, like on their book store? or whatever the equivalent is on android. That's a huge market for magazines now, magazines there have well over 100,000 readers, especially because it's now an international market that can read, rather than just a few countries.
>>
>>2990045
>>2990043
if that's actually isi writing all of this then my respect for her has grown tenfold and I admit I may have prejudged her long ago without warrant.

Time to clear my filter list.
>>
>>2990052
>magazines there have well over 100,000 readers, especially because it's now an international market that can read, rather than just a few countries.
>100,000
>international market
>huge market
>7 billion divided by 100,000
>0.001% of the population is a huge market
I envy your lack of common sense or awareness. Life must be so blissful.
>>
>>2990054
To put that in persepective. That's on par with Shutterbug magazine circulation. having a magazine catered to a niche market of landscape photographers and photography lovers, 100k+ is pretty big. I think you lack common sense and perspective
>>
>>2990057
>To put that in persepective. That's on par with Shutterbug magazine circulation.
Naming another magazine I've never heard of nor care about is not revealing any new perspectives to me.

>having a magazine catered to a niche market of landscape photographers and photography lovers, 100k+ is pretty big.
It's neither "pretty big" nor "fine art."
How much circulation do you think National Geographic gets?

> I think you lack common sense and perspective
Ah, weren't you supposed to be asleep by now? Anonymous shitposter got you awake and thinking in bed? Good!
>>
>>2990063
>How much circulation do you think National Geographic gets?

6 million. or 0.0008% of the population, wow that's fucking nothing according to you. I envy your lack of common sense or self awareness

>Ah, weren't you supposed to be asleep by now? Anonymous shitposter got you awake and thinking in bed? Good!

Thanks mommy, I'll go to bed now!
>>
>>2990068
>6 million. or 0.0008% of the population, wow that's fucking nothing according to you.
0.09% actually.
I do not envy your lack of basic arithmetical prowess.
I do find your belief that an iphone apps store magazine is comparable to National Geographic incredibly lacking in common sense and self awareness. What a beautiful example of millenial self-delusion.
At least your fame is "quickly rising", as you say.
>>
>What a beautiful example of millenial self-delusion.

You're so right. I should be looking up to you to photographic advice. Because you know so much about everything. Should I also take financial advice from a homeless man? because that would be equivalent to taking any serious advice from someone who can't even post their instagram.
>>
I got 5625 likes to 136 posts.
I started in September, I don't use bots and I don't tag regram accounts.
I also don't dox myself on fourchannel.
How did I do?
>>
>>2990087
>Should I also take financial advice from a homeless man? because that would be equivalent to taking any serious advice from someone who can't even post their instagram.
What makes you think I haven't posted mine?
I'm >>2990030
>>
>>2990087
>Should I also take financial advice from a homeless man?
The homeless-by-choice population is probably the best source of information on how to manage your finances frugally, actually.
>>
>>2990092
>What makes you think I haven't posted mine?
Because somebody just posted a grid image with zero text and no stats on your Instagram, which was the point of this thread. Then I gave a compliment to you, and there was no response, so I assumed that person left
>>
>>2990095
most homeless are homeless by choice. Very few lost their job, lost all their family, lost all their friends, and has no ability to get government benefits. They made poor choices. I'll talk to them every once in a while, and half the time all they can talk about is where they get their alcohol and how drunk they are. They aren't just people that are unlucky
>>
>>2990100
>most homeless are homeless by choice. Very few lost their job, lost all their family, lost all their friends, and has no ability to get government benefits. They made poor choices. I'll talk to them every once in a while, and half the time all they can talk about is where they get their alcohol and how drunk they are.
The "homeless by choice" population is not the same as the homeless drug addict/drunk population.

>They made poor choices.
>The aren't just people that are unlucky
You have so, so much left to learn about the world when you actually step out into it, out of the shadow of your girlfriend who actually possesses creative talents.
>>
>>2990097
>Because somebody just posted a grid image with zero text and no stats on your Instagram, which was the point of this thread
And that's precisely why they weren't posted. You don't write the rules. You posted this thread to humblebrag and try to find like-minded narcissists spinning the aforementioned hamster wheel of visual ideology.
What you've instead found is the biting and harsh criticism and cynicism that makes this board (ever so rarely, these days) productive in the development of new photographers.

This isn't the normal /p/ case of someone being torn apart for no good reason. You loaded the gun and aimed it while begging the Legion to pull the trigger.
>>
>>2990037
This is a genuine roast, 10/10 anon
>>
>>2990028
>Most people consider this one of the barriers to considering photography a true artform

Eh, the only barrier to photography as a form of art that's ever been mentioned to me is that there's no "skill" involved, you just push a button and an image appears. That is to say, photography isn't art because it's not "hard enough".
>>
File: 1353550519699.jpg (15KB, 133x234px) Image search: [Google]
1353550519699.jpg
15KB, 133x234px
>>2989779
>Im not going to void taking a photo of that spot just because it's cliche. That's been my best selling print.

holy fuck this guy is denser than my dick when watching dora the explorer.
>>
File: kmcdonphoto.jpg (149KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kmcdonphoto.jpg
149KB, 1080x1080px
Fairly new to IG.

@kmcdonphoto
>>
File: best9.png (1MB, 747x929px) Image search: [Google]
best9.png
1MB, 747x929px
>>
>>2990255
Like the cloud one, middle right.

>>2990259
Do you shoot film, or are you using filters/presets?
>>
>>2990268
both, 6 of those are film and 3 digital with VSCO filters
>>
>>2990271
Nice. Are you mainly shooting with that twin lens camera in your profile picture? I've got one myself, but just find it too expensive sometimes
>>
>>2990275
yeah on my most recent trips (only got it in August).

I home develop+scan everything except for Slide film (which I do scan myself at least), which brings the costs down
>>
>>2990244
>Eh, the only barrier to photography as a form of art that's ever been mentioned to me is that there's no "skill" involved, you just push a button and an image appears. That is to say, photography isn't art because it's not "hard enough".
Yeah, you obviously don't have a very qualified opinion of art if you think its about the difficulty.
Photorealistic paintings are far less valuable than abstracts, generally speaking.
>>
>>2990092
Hahahahahhahaha! Holy fuck! You have the nerve to tell OP his photos suck and that's the shit you back up your word with!! Hahahahahah!!!!! Nice snapshots you fucking retard. Try harder next time then you won't be so asshurt when someone with more than 100 followers post's their instagram
>>
>>2990323
>you obviously don't have a very qualified opinion of art

That's not my opinion though. I'm saying that it's the only opinion I've heard when it comes to whether or not photography is a form of art.
>>
>>2990339
Yeah, well don't go to Church to ask about evolution.
>>
>>2990331
>he thinks OPs photos are better than moongod
LOL
Kitsch sure does fool retards
>>
>>2990343
>moongod
Literally who? There not a fucking thing I see appealing about his photos that look like there was any more effort than a fucking snapshit.
>>
>>2990344
It's okay, most of this board lacks visual literacy, you'll fit in.
WOW! IS THAT HALF DOME?! GOOD PIC! :)
Follow for follow, anon?
>>
>>2990345
Lol! Wow moongod! Is that a picture of a fucking window! Top shot! Very impressive! You'll definitely get into nat geo with high callibur photos like that! Keep up the hard work!! Maybe someday I can be as good as you! :^)
>>
>>2990346
>You'll definitely get into nat geo
What you thought you were doing was delivering a fatal putdown
What you were actually doing was revealing yourself to be an ultimate pleb, equating Nat Geo with "high calibur photos", especially in today's post-Murdoch Nat Geo reality.
>>
>>2990349
>equating Nat Geo with "high calibur photos", especially in today's post-Murdoch Nat Geo reality.
all that shows is that everyone remembers the glory days and no-one buys the dead mag.
Not buying a magazine doesn't make you the ultimate pleb.
>>
>>2990349
Yeah, well that fag moongod can't stop talking about it. He obviously wishes that was what he was doing but instead the extent if his photos are pictures of tiled windows. Not good

I don't give a shit about nat geo desu senpai
>>
>>2990351
How retarded are you? OP is the one that brought up Nat Geo.
You don't have to answer. I know how retarded you are. It was a rhetorical question.

Btw I'm not even actually moongod.
>>
>>2990353
Actually moongod did. Trying to show how much circulation it had in this post

>>2990063
>>
>>2990354
So comparing a digital magazine on the itunes stores amount of circulation to national geographics circulation to make a point about how few 100,000 is is...evidence of "can't stop talking about (nat geo)?"

Okay, OP. Just as much of an idiot today as you were last night.
>>
>>2990068
>6 million. or 0.0008% of the population
>6 million is 0.0008% of 7 billion
someone clearly wasn't cut out for STEM courses. No wonder he's a "Creative."
>>
>>2990355
Not OP. And yes. Moongod has no audience outside of a slow board on 4chan and he's angry and filled with rage at anyone that isn't him. It's pretty obvious
>>
>>2990357
You haven't yet figured out that the anon arguing wasn't actually moongod, have you?
baka, christmasfags.
>>
>>2990358
Don't give a shit really. That guys photos are borderline high school photo snaps, and doesn't deserve to be trying to give advice to anyone
>>
>>2990360
You don't even understand it when I bluntly tell you. That's amazing.
>>
>>2990341
Wow, does every post you make has to be degrading to someone?
>>
>>2989680
I knew I remembered you.

You're the guy who said you don't really listen to /p/'s criticism, right?

>>2975541
>>
>>2990464
Yes, I'll never listen to something /p/ says, unless it's someone that shows photography I like, or is successful. Why would I listen to aNY thing else?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (77KB, 748x633px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
77KB, 748x633px
>>2990466
>>
File: instawhore.jpg (95KB, 597x761px) Image search: [Google]
instawhore.jpg
95KB, 597x761px

PhotographerAlex
>>
>>2990474
It's not that. I'll take cc into consideration if someone talks to me in a constructive way. And if they show me that they know what they're talking about, I'll certainly listen. Like I said earlier, nobody should take financial advice from a homeless person.
>>
>>2990464
>>2990466
Awwwwww shiet. It's dat guy again, kek.
>>
>>2990487
Kaz, you gonna get yourself a trip? It'd help me follow your work more closely, I like what you have to say. It's easy to setup

I think you'd certainly be a lot better than some of the trips we already have.
>>
>>2990045
a) not me
b) we have?
>>
>>2990507
I had one a while back when I was messing around with sugar, LOL. I don't usually use trips at all, and I rarely post, usually i get banned. /p/ has dealt me like 4 bans in the last month. But yeah, I don't want to come off as ignorant or anything, I always take into consideration what people say, but I just give more weight to people that I appreciate their work
>>
>>2990499
Yeah, it's me. And like always, I tried to start a genuine thread, which immediate devolved into an insult match.
>>
>>2990514
>But yeah, I don't want to come off as ignorant or anything
It's far too late for that, Up and Coming Fine Artist Kaz Canning.
>>
>>2990516
no no no, it's not "up and coming," it's "emergent"

clearly you know nothing about the world of fine art instagram landscape photography
>>
>>2990514
Thanks Kaz! I'll keep an eye out for your posts, fuck the haters.

Not everyone can be Steve McCurry, and I feel that your work comes off as more honest than his.
>>
>>2990516
Thank you. I appreciate the name recognition. If you'd like to give me some good CC, I will definitely take it into consideration if you don't just try to roast me. Otherwise, why would I take anything you say seriously?
>>
>>2990519
I don't do much photojournalism. However, I did have a Trump thread a few months back, and had generally good feedback on it. I love good photojournalism, but I just don't go to enough current events to really do any. Had some stuff on the news last 4th of july though, got lucky
>>
>>2990520
I'd be interested in hearing what interactions you claim we've had. :)

My only critique for your work would be that you're incredibly forgettable, considering the extreme saturation of people like Chris Burkhard, Wisslaren, Pete McBride and others that show more dedication to travel and exploration of famous sites than you.
The majority of your work is very paint-by-numbers and that's worrying when talking about development of artistic identity.

You have pretty photos, but you do not create artwork with any tangible voice or personal perspective imo. Not that I didn't say unique, but personal.
>>
>>2990521
Thanks Foto Grapher, I really enjoyed some of your processing on those shots, really bold.
>>
>>2990524
Yeah, I can get that. I'm actually currently working on keeping my saturation levels at more reasonable levels, when I see them in a grid like in the OP, I can see how together they look semi-nauseating. So it is something I recognize and I'm working on it. And all jokes aside, I haven't been able to physically travel much this past year, I hurt myself pretty bad november 2015 when I was doing a speech at a photo thing out in New York, I haven't been able to walk too far since then, so my recent photo trips have been kind of limited to attractions closer to the road. I'm feeling better now, and was able to do a few good hikes out in zion, I just haven't posted the pictures yet.

And yeah, I feel like something I've been struggling with is finding my "voice". A lot of the photos in the OP are kind of "compstomping" popular locations, and I have more angles, just for some reason, chose not to post them. Im working on it though. And I appreciate it too, I honestly never get good CC face to face
>>
>>2990525
LOL, can you post the link to the archive for that?
>>
>>2990529
I just remember it from the start of the year. A7R, high saturation.
Don't let people's C&C get you down, keep on posting!
>>2990528
>just for some reason, chose not to post them
>And I appreciate it too, I honestly never get good CC face to face
The more you post here, the more we can help give you some good C&C. I'm always happy to help out my fellow photographers lol.
>>
>>2990528
>I'm actually currently working on keeping my saturation levels at more reasonable levels, when I see them in a grid like in the OP, I can see how together they look semi-nauseating.
When I said paint by numbers, I wasn't referring to your saturation choices. I was referring to the fact that you seem to pathologically reproduce existing compositions of famous sites and structures. Like a coloring book versus drawing and coloring an image in full yourself. I don't see much input from you the photographer into your own work.
>>
>>2990528
>And yeah, I feel like something I've been struggling with is finding my "voice".

Stop going to popular photographic locations. Start shooting every day shit and try to make it interesting. Stop looking for interesting and/or photogenic subjects and start looking for interesting light.
>>
>>2990531
>I just remember it from the start of the year. A7R, high saturation.
yeah, that was the one. And yeah, some were black and white, many were high saturation. I found an archive of it if anyone is interested
>I'm always happy to help out my fellow photographers lol.
LOL, cant tell if you're being serious or not, but yeah, I'll post more images in the future. I would post more right now. But I just went out of town and didn't bring my hard drive with me.

>>2990533
>you seem to pathologically reproduce existing compositions of famous sites and structures
Okay, I get what you're saying. And I can agree with that. I know I don't spend enough time physically exploring a location, and that's obviously my fault. I just don't give myself enough time when I'm on photo trips to take my time. It's like hectic running from location to location. Like the first time I was in New York. I was only there for 8 hours for a business trip. I ran to all the spots: WTC, Empire state building, central park, and dubmo. That's something I had never truly considered the benefit of giving myself more time to just leisurely explore a location vs planning out my exact routes beforehand, because that's what I'll normally do. I know exactly what time I'll get to a location to take a photo of and what it'll look like, but obviously by doing the research online, all I'm really setting myself up to do is take photos of spots that have been photographed many times. I'll make an effort to give myself more time and enjoy it, rather than just hitting spots
>>
>>2990543
Here
>I ran to all the spots: WTC, Empire state building, central park, and dubmo. That's something I had never truly considered the benefit of giving myself more time to just leisurely explore a location vs planning out my exact routes beforehand, because that's what I'll normally do. I know exactly what time I'll get to a location to take a photo of and what it'll look like

That's the issue with your photos being extremely stock. You need to have a sense of the place, a feel for it, to shoot images that break the norms and feel special. Your images could totally work as calander photos, or posters, and if that's what you wanna go for sure.

But I'd never, ever be able to pick your images out from a crowd as being yours...and the reason for that is you seem to treat photography as a science. You've decided on your methods and everything before you even get to the location, and that will 100% guarantee sterile images.

Again, if that's what you enjoy then great. But you mentioned struggling to find your voice, so I'd suggest going out and plan to spend hours at one location. Visit it multiple times and different times of the day. Have a coffee at shop and just spectate.
>>
>>2990548
That's actually good advice. I'll try to do that the best I can, I think the hardest thing will just being able to spend the extra time in a location because of time/cost reasons.

I do have to think of the end product of my photos as well though. I feel like some photos work well on a computer screen or instagram, but don't work well for prints, which is what I'd like to do. I live near some mountains, I'll have to go up there some day when it's cloudy out or some interesting weather and just take time to relax with my camera up there
>>
>>2990553
Head up into your local mountains and leave the camera at home. I'm assuming you enjoy hiking if you do all this landscape work. Get out and enjoy the actual hike sans camera. Let yourself experience what is special about being out there. Hint: it doesn't involve making pretty pictures.

Good luck man!
>>
>>2990553
>but don't work well for prints, which is what I'd like to do
You previously claimed selling prints was your main income.
This is why people are calling you a liar.
>>
>>2990555
Man, if photography isn't able to function as a form of nature meditation for you, then I think you have deeper issues to resolve than OP does.
>>
>>2990556
Sorry, the rest of that sentence could be assumed to be "what I'd like to do with my photos" as in, that's what I want to use them for, not just instagram.

>>2990555
>I'm assuming you enjoy hiking if you do all this landscape work
I do enjoy it very much, like I said earlier, I've been kind of hurt this year, and now I'm getting back into doing real hikes. Will do though, thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>2989706

This guy..
>>
File: TreeShadow.jpg (261KB, 798x798px) Image search: [Google]
TreeShadow.jpg
261KB, 798x798px
>>2990557
Oh, it totally is. But so is a simple hike without a camera.

Equipment MakeNikon
Camera ModelNikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Image Width2000
Image Height2000
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution133 dpi
Vertical Resolution133 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2009:01:11 15:44:10
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width798
Image Height798
>>
Started mine almost 2 months ago, so basically my most recent pics
>>
File: macasni_full.jpg (134KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
macasni_full.jpg
134KB, 1080x1350px
>>2990602
Whoops
>>
File: realdonaldtrump_full.jpg (161KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
realdonaldtrump_full.jpg
161KB, 1080x1350px
What can I say, this year was yuge.
>>
>>2990606
H-hi don

>>2990603
Nice, San Fransisco certainly doesn't have a shortage of cool things to look at. Just keep up with semi-regular posts and it'll grow for sure
>>
>>2989966
This one got my attention
>>
>>2990092
that wasn't me
>>
>>2990031
its not a dam, but it is used for power generation. there is just a redirected river at the top of it, it is built into the side of a gorge. its the niagara river down from the falls.
>>
File: nord__berht_full.jpg (178KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
nord__berht_full.jpg
178KB, 1080x1350px
It seems that I had a sucky 2nd year on IG
>>
>>2990748
That's because only one of your photos was good. You really need to focus on the luchador crowd.
>>
>>2990476
where is the top right one?
>>
>>2989680
>https://2016bestnine.com/
My followers like all the wrong pictures
>>
>>2991720
Post it anyways. You never know what someone might like
>>
My top nine are all of my taint paint series
>>
File: 1399906876378.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1399906876378.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>2990590
hi pantsu!
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.