[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a full time landscape photographer anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 84

File: 2image259.jpg (709KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image259.jpg
709KB, 1024x1024px
Good morning, /p/

I'm feeling friendly today and also have some new stuff to share, so I'm going to do something most likely stupid and have an AMA with /p/.

Go ahead, ask me anything. I'll probably answer most stuff, but I'm not likely to give out personal details or exact financial information. I'm happy to give out advice on the business of landscapes and shooting them too. I'll actually be around my computer for most of the day today and probably again tomorrow. Let's see if you guys can make me regret my choice.

The point of this thread is to teach and inspire. If y'all get stupid I'll probably just leave and go do something more productive with my day.

I'll respond with photos, mostly new ones. Sorry if there's reposts I never remember where I last left off.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerAlex Burke
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5572
Image Height5677
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution2400 dpi
Vertical Resolution2400 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:11:06 09:28:58
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975076
Probably not the type of question you're looking for, but are there any forthcoming pics from your trip out east?
>>
>>2975076
hi alex,
how does your business split between galleries or online sales
>>
File: 2image183.jpg (416KB, 1024x804px) Image search: [Google]
2image183.jpg
416KB, 1024x804px
>>2975078
Absolutely, I'll post a few of those. I think I still have more scans to work with too.

Sometimes people like to know the film type so I'll add that to my posts if I remember. This is Provia, the OP was Portra 400.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11411
Image Height9258
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:10:31 08:09:37
Image Width1024
Image Height804
>>
File: 2image231.jpg (484KB, 1024x808px) Image search: [Google]
2image231.jpg
484KB, 1024x808px
>>2975080
Great question. My total online print sales have directly from the website only made enough to pay for the squarespace site this year. Donations and the ebook do a little bit better, but not much. I haven't done any sales through a gallery this year, so about 95% of my income has come through face-to-face transactions with the customer through weekend art shows that take place in different towns and cities. I've done about 15 of those shows this year to pay the bills.

I've never really been able to make much out of online sales. Mostly people who see me at a show reach out to me afterwards and order something after looking through the portfolio online. Sometimes I follow up with them first so it's hard to track exactly where the sales came from but most of the names are people I've met in person first. If you add those type of after-the-show sales done through emails you could say that almost 30% of my business is done online.

This one is Ektar.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11367
Image Height8988
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:14 22:44:09
Image Width1024
Image Height808
>>
>>2975076
Wow that's beautiful. What was your setup for this photo?
>>
>>2975076
How much planning/pre-research do you typically do for your photo outings, and how do you typically do it?

I imagine you go to the same places a fair bit, so you probably know/have at least in part in mind what location could give you an interesting picture from previous visits, allowing you to bide time for that certain magical moment, but what about when venturing "into the unknown"?
>>
i have a question for you, alex: say landscape photo got banned or something, just for you (yeah). thats it you cant do landscapes anymore. would you keep doing photography? what subjects would you do now?
>>
I remember your pics from a /fgt/. You inspired me to take up analog colorphotography! Thanks a lot! :^)
>>
>>2975076
Do you seek inspiration from great photographers, past and/or present? Are there any big names that inspire you?

Do you currently or have you ever studied art theory or technique to any real degree? I know you're not an art school guy, but do you try to read books and stuff about art in general?

What kind of music do you like?
>>
File: 2image169.jpg (575KB, 1024x1013px) Image search: [Google]
2image169.jpg
575KB, 1024x1013px
>>2975092
To be honest, that one was done handheld with a healthy buzz after celebrating my girlfriend's birthday. It was a long backpacking trip and we spent a whole week there, but it's actually kinda cool that they have a lodge so the poor backpackers like us can get a few drinks and some hot tea during one hour of the day. It was the last day of our trip (with a 32km hike out the next day) and her birthday so we had a nice time. We spent a few hours soaking in the sunlight after tea time as most of the trip was quite cloudy and cold.

It was with a Mamiya 6 and 50mm lens with Portra 400, no filters.

Pic related, from a few days earlier after waking up to a half foot of snow. This one is Provia with a proper tripod and all.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5725
Image Height5753
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:10:12 18:42:19
Image Width1024
Image Height1013
>>
In some of your past blog posts, you've recommended that people stock up on film when its discontinued so that they have the opportunity to try it. Do you have anything that's sitting in your freezer that's been there a while?
>>
>>2975076
Hey Alex,

No questions, just wanted to say that I love your work.

Best wishes.
>>
>>2975098
Those snow drifts pouring off the mountain don't even look remotely real. That's fucking insane.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (979KB, 1245x700px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
979KB, 1245x700px
>>2975076
What's your goto equipment?

Also how do you feel about use of lens distortion as a way to add depth to landscapes?

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)36 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016-11-30T11:58:16-05:00
Exposure Time4 sec
F-Numberf/25.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/25.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length24.00 mm
Image Width1245
Image Height700
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeLandscape
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2975098
That sounds incredible. And holy moly this one is beautiful too. I'm really loving the colours in this one.
>>
>>2975102
Not Alex, but those aren't really snowdrifts, those are scree piles from erosion. Likely only a couple inches of snow there.
>>
Are you ever going to return to BW? Been a while since I seen you post some.
>>
>>2975111
Back to >>>/geo/ with you.

No, seriously though. Thanks for the info. Whatever they are they look fucking sweet. The scale really gives the shot a surreal feel.
>>
>>2975076

Hi, I'm looking at getting a mam 6 or 7, have you been happy with the build of the camera while hiking about?
>>
File: 1image352.jpg (351KB, 820x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1image352.jpg
351KB, 820x1024px
>>2975093
Some trips I plan out quite well, some I really wing it. If I'm going to be spending a week somewhere, I will often try to do some online research and find a few good places to start, then I'll look at those locations on Google Terrain maps to see if it's a sunrise or sunset spot. Sometimes I'll use The Photographer's Ephemeris to look at angles of sunlight but not often as topographic info and is really all I need. When venturing into wilderness areas you often cannot find good photos from other photographers, so I'll look at topo maps and google the lake or mountain name and the location and see if I can find any hiker blogs. Many places have at least been poorly documented by an ultra-runner with an iPhone so you can at least see what the landscape looks like. Instagram and hashtags are also a very powerful research tool as you can see current conditions at various locations.

However, sometimes you just have to wander. If I'm looking for intimate scenes I'd rather not do any research. Sometimes I don't want other photographer's interpretations of a landscape to taint my vision before I get there, I want to feel it for myself. Often with national parks I try not to look at too many photos first for that reason, otherwise you just end up finding the tripod holes from other people.

Sometimes I go to the same place over and over, like some of the lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park. I've been to some of them dozens of times but every time is different and eventually you wind up with something special.

Pic related, probably the 30th time I've been to that lake, but that morning was really wonderful and stands out. Provia (I think)

PhotographerAlex Burke
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:05:11 11:10:49
Image Width820
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975117
Your work is amazing, Alex. That is all
>>
>>2975090
How far do you travel for your art shows?
>>
>>2975076
I know landscape is your thing, but do you shoot anything else on the side that you don't post? You mentioned a GF. Do you have snapshot selfies of y'all on Facebook or anything, or is it just landscape or nothing?
>>
File: 2image191.jpg (874KB, 1024x811px) Image search: [Google]
2image191.jpg
874KB, 1024x811px
>>2975094
That's an odd question, and I guess you'd have to define exactly what makes a landscape. I'd possibly return to my project on the oil industry which could be considered more documentation of the changes to a landscape. I hope I don't get in trouble with the landscape police, I don't want to end up shooting real estate and weddings...

>>2975096
Glad to hear it!

>>2975097
Absolutely! When I was 18 or so an ex gf of mine bought me a beginners book on photography by John Fielder. He's Colorado's old-time 4x5 photographer and his name is known throughout the state. Today, I'm not sure I admire his work as much as I did back then but he sure planted a seed and inspired me tons. It was great to meet him and tell him that several years ago. In more recent years I've been very inspired by Edward Burtynsky it was wonderful to finally see his photos in person last month. I was also greatly inspired by a guy I met on Flickr named Mike Stacey (while he was still shooting landscapes, his shit got weird with trashy girls as of late) and Murray Fredericks. I love people that can simplify landscapes to nothing but a few lines and shapes.

I haven't really studied art in a formal setting at all. I just find inspiration through the internet and honestly National Geographic. I read that magazine cover to cover every month and have for years. Music? I'm not a huge music buff and listen to it most while biking so it's usually stuff with a good beat to pump me up.

Virginian forest on Velvia.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11411
Image Height9258
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:10:31 10:36:43
Image Width1024
Image Height811
>>
File: 2image234.jpg (790KB, 1024x816px) Image search: [Google]
2image234.jpg
790KB, 1024x816px
>>2975100
I have recommended that, especially with Velvia as everyone should have a chance to try it but in recent times I've started to slide away from that mentality. If we can't have the film anymore I'd almost rather not stock up because it will just let me down when I've gotten used to the film and then run out of it. Astia was an example of that, I quite liked that film for landscapes but then it was quickly discontinued. I think I still have two sheets in a box I've forgotten to use. E100g was another one I would have loved to have more time with, it was wonderful but I have trouble buying something I know I just won't be able to get again. I'm down to only 40 sheets of Velvia 50 left, so after that it will just be Provia, Ektar, and Portra for me unless the Velvia made in Japan starts getting shipped to the states again.

>>2975101
Thank you, I appreciate it.

>>2975104
The main camera of choice is a Toyo 4x5 field camera. The most used lens for it is my 90mm. If I want to go way further or the conditions prevent using 4x5 (high wind, dark canyons, faster moving subjects) then I've been using a Mamiya 6 for that. I also use a Fuji 6x17 for panos. None of those lenses have any sort of distortion so it's not something I so in my landscapes and I don't find it particularly appealing. The one thing that's nice about stitching images though is that you can get a view wider than with a rectilinear lens and a fixed film plane. For some landscape scenes that are so huge that could almost be a handy tactic but it's not one that I use.

>>2975105
Thanks anon, it really was a wonderful trip.

>>2975112
I'm working on a handmade printing process onto metal for b&w which will likely motivate me a tad. I haven't been shooting much b&w though, I think I have a dozen sheets from the last year that I haven't developed. At this point, I really don't even know what's on them.

Lake Erie, Ektar.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11367
Image Height8988
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:03 10:34:09
Image Width1024
Image Height816
>>
>>2975125
Ha that looks like the forest in dark souls 3
>>
>>2975076
hi alex,
couple of things, any tips for someone that doesnt have filters? I have an old ae1, 24, 50, 105 to use. I dont feel constrained or anything by the limited focal lengths, but I can't get a long exposure effect.

secondly, any tips on rule of thirds compositions? in general I guess or if you can, make examples and explain?
>>
File: 1image066.jpg (236KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
1image066.jpg
236KB, 1024x614px
>>2975116
I absolutely love using the camera and it feels great in the hands, but I can't say I'm incredibly impressed with the build or durability. Mine is currently out for repairs after owning it just 5 months. I lightly bumped the shutter cable on a tree in July and it made the socket loose which then eventually broke entirely a few weeks ago, making bulb mode unusable so a max shutter time of 4 seconds is all I could do. I'm incredibly hard on cameras though and I did bump the socket so it's my fault, take better care of it and you'll be happy. I'm really hard on cameras. My rangefinder was also way out of calibration when I bought it so I'm getting that adjusted. I'm not entirely sure they are a good cold weather camera either. There has been a few times where it's not let the film lever advance because it didn't trip the mechanism after firing the shutter. I've had to remove the lens, cock the shutter on the lens manually and reattach and fire with the lens cap on to advance. I will see if that is also something to be repaired while it's in for service.

>>2975120
Thank you anon.

>>2975121
So far I try to keep it within a days drive or 800 miles. But I am looking at going even further next year. There's a lot of good ones through the summer in Colorado so I don't always go far. Plus in Colorado you can always just sleep in the van down a dirt road to save a ton of money.

>>2975122
I definitely don't shoot people except with a cellphone. And I absolutely hate social media and only use it for business purposes, so no secret snaps there. There was that time I had the /p/ traveling camera and that was fun. Pic related.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width3335
Image Height1999
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2014:10:12 21:13:51
Image Width1024
Image Height614
>>
Why call it an AMA, given that you basically answer any Alex questions on /p/ already?
>>
>>2975117
Love this. Also, will you talk about color balance/correction and sharpening? Also any mental checklists you use for framing?
>>
Here's one.
When you head out and the light isn't working, the weather is against you, and you know that "something special" isn't likely in the cards...

what do you do? Go home and work on marketing? Shoot anyway?
>>
>>2975076
That mountain looks like a Matterhorn ripoff!
Nice dof tho.

How often do you use a polarizer?
>>
File: 1image807.jpg (216KB, 1024x815px) Image search: [Google]
1image807.jpg
216KB, 1024x815px
>>2975135
I've never needed an actual ND filter in my life (GND's yes but never an ND), if you want to get long exposures I would recommend shooting when it is darker out, around sunset or twilight. If you're going for waterfalls shoot them when they don't have direct light on them as they look much better this way anyways. You'll likely find that at f8 or f11 you'll probably have exposures of around 2 seconds if it doesn't have sunlight on it. If you can afford a cheap polarizer I would highly recommend it, it makes waterfalls look much better and also takes away two stops of light.

If you want to simulate the effects of a GND you can wave a dark object over the top of the lens during a portion of the exposure. This is a really handy tactic and quite easy if your exposure is a second or longer. Again, shoot during sunset or blue hour for the longer exposures.

As far of the rule of thirds it's more like the rule of turds. Just kidding, it really is a great starting point to creating more dynamic compositions but it's not the end all of it. If you solely follow that rule when composing it will become very obvious as someone looks through your images. I'm a huge fan of bringing the viewers eye into the center of the photo, usually having a subject at or near the center. Oddly enough, this gets achieved with lines and other objects off to the sides or thirds of the frame.

Take this image for example. I find that your eye is immediately drawn to the center, but not just because the sun is right there. The grouping of trees roughly one-third off to the left helps and the angle of the snow-covered slope brings balance to the other side of the image. It's a very center-weighted image with a balance due to the rule of thirds.

I'll post another example next.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2016:05:10 08:04:41
Image Width1024
Image Height815
>>
File: image952.jpg (685KB, 1024x812px) Image search: [Google]
image952.jpg
685KB, 1024x812px
>>2975135
>>2975142
And here's another center-weighted image, but again the pieces out away from the center are what make it happen. If you were to put a grid of thirds on this image you would see a lot of elements fall there, from the groups of trees, to the peak breaking out of the fog, to the line the grass makes into the stream. I hope this helps.

>>2975138
Yeah that's true, but I figured I'd leave it even more open and inviting this time.

>>2975139
The only color balance I have available in camera is a warming filter. I use my m43 camera to decide if the color balance requires one at the time of shooting. Other than that, it's all after scanning in PS. I will link my scanning and luminosity blog posts, but mostly I'm using curves and luminosity masks along with a good and patient eye to get the colors right. I will be updating those posts this winter as some of my processes have changed. Luminosity masks are very powerful, letting you deal with color casts in the shadows and highlights separately, a huge problem with film scans.

Here's the posts:
http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2013/06/02/scanning-and-editing-color-negative-film
http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2015/03/10/luminosity-masks-and-film-scans

As for sharpening, I just do an unsharp mask at 90% with a 2 px radius for the film scans before resizing to my final size. Seems to work. I think this post and the last will give you an idea of my framing/composition process.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2014:09:22 20:26:38
Image Width1024
Image Height812
>>
>>2975125
>Mike Stacey
Never heard of him before. Just looked up his stuff. Holy shit. Those are some really beautiful landscapes with embarrassingly cheesy "art" nudes. It's sad, really.
>>
>>2975142
> If you solely follow that rule when composing it will become very obvious as someone looks through your images.
yes of course, but to me I like to play around with it on purpose. A photographer I like, an ex /p/oster, really suites my style and like me, he also just plays with the thirds rule. I like it as a reference made in a photograph, not to follow it strictly. eg in your OP picture you balanced the rock in the top right 2/3 pretty perfectly, those sort of references get me all the time, obviously (i hope) that wasnt the primary aim of it but it balances well.

>>2975143
>I hope this helps.
it does, thanks a lot
>>
>>2975125
Love this shot, dude. Right up my alley. It's got a bit of an Axel Hutte feel to it.

>>2975129
>E100g
I've got 9 MF rolls sitting in my freezer. I know I just need get the balls to use it, but I also don't want to waste it since it's all I've got.

This thread's great, bro.
>>
>>2975146 (me)
albeit I dislike >>2975143 for the boulder on the left, its far too distracting. Colour scheme is nice though so thumbs up for that.
>>
File: 2image341.jpg (677KB, 810x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image341.jpg
677KB, 810x1024px
>>2975140
That is like 70% of my photo trips. As much as you plan for good weather and locations, most of the time it just doesn't work. On top of that, bad weather is good for me, so the times I try to go are high risk, high reward situations with huge percentages of cloud cover and whatnot. When it's a bust, it's a bust. Usually I sit and enjoy some time in nature, try to find new subjects or angles, but I probably wont shoot at all. Film is too pricey to blow on bad conditions, I would likely only shoot if I haven't been there before and even then just for my sake. That's what cell phones are for.

When I'm out for a longer trip you of course can't know the forecast weeks ahead of time. I just take things as they come and if it's not a good time for shooting I just enjoy my time in the wilderness. If it's a totally clear sky afternoon I might just enjoy cooking a backpacking meal and starting a campfire to kill the time. I've gotten a lot more relaxed about this since going full-time as a photographer. I'm not limited to weekends so I don't feel that pressure to "make" something happen.

If I'm at home and there's no good forecast for a while, then yep marketing and whatnot it is.

>>2975141
The call it the Matterhorn of the Rockies I believe, really is a very similar peak. I used to use polarizers all the time when starting, but now it's quite a bit more rare. It's really down to waterfall or wet scenes to cut down on reflections and the rare time when it really helps with clouds. I almost never use them at sunrise anymore and never when shooting a lake reflection at sunrise/sunset.

Pic related, a good time to use a polarizer to cut down some of the glare on the rocks. However, you can't go full strength with it or you'll lose the glow that makes the image. Velvia 50.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11450
Image Height9220
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:21 10:49:07
Image Width810
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975143
>Luminosity masks are very powerful

You've been extremely helpful here over the years, but by far the biggest thing I've learned from you is using luminosity masks. Once you wrap your head around them and really start playing around, you can achieve really amazing things.
>>
>>2975076
boring af

>>2975083
cliche and horrible colors

>>2975090
looks disgusting

>>2975098
a nice place somehow made mundane af

>>2975104
vomit inducing

>>2975117
what a waste of a beautiful place and great opportunity for a good photograph

>>2975125
looks like shit

>>2975129
shit

>>2975137
utter shit

>>2975142
waste

>>2975143
waste

>>2975150
shit

you go to cool places, that's about it. photos are iphone 4 tier. my question, who buys this shit?
>>
>>2975154
Agree with this tbqh, cringing at all the 60 year old women approving of this.
>>
>>2975146
not op pic sorry, second pic with leaf and rock
>>
>>2975154
/p/ is for critiques, dont just criticise
>>
Amazing work fellow Alex

So happy to see an AMA thread not trolled to shit
>>
>>2975143
I don't really know about masks/photoshop. I just use Lightroom and capture one. Are you saying good sharpness like your photos i really need to do unshaprness mask?
>>
>>2975076
How often do you go back through your work and purge older stuff? Do you ever love a photo and then years later decide it's not really up to par?

Do you have really old shots that still sell?
>>
>>2975165
No Alex, but one thing you've got to remember is that he's applying that sharpening to a fucking massive film scan that is already pretty damn sharp. Different techniques work for dfiferent situations.
>>
>>2975154
who pissed in your cereal
>>
If you could get the same image quality, dynamic range and optical quality out of an APS-C or FF digital setup, theoretically, would you dump 4x5 or is it about the process as well as the end result?
>>
File: aspentrail.jpg (567KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
aspentrail.jpg
567KB, 819x1024px
>>2975144
Absolutely, I felt so saddened the day I unfollowed him because I couldn't stand that trash anymore. His landscapes were truly inspiring.

>>2975146
Absolutely, it's a great thing to always keep in your mind. You can always take the rule of thirds as literal as you want or use it as a soft guideline. Glad to help.

>>2975147
Thanks anon. E100g is an outstanding film, I hope you enjoy using it.

>>2975148
The boulder definitely does take up a large part of the frame, but luckily it isn't too bright to stand out from the rest of the frame. I don't really know how, but that has become my best income producing print so I just roll with it now.

>>2975152
Absolutely, glad to help.

>>2975154
I love you /p/

>>2975158
You just described at least 50% of my client demographic.

>>2975164
Thanks anon.

>>2975165
This guy >>2975167 said it pretty well. I don't concern myself too much with sharpening as the scans are huge. I just need to get things a bit sharper for larger prints because the flatbed scanner doesn't resolve the best.

>>2975166
Definitely, I have changed my standards many times over the years and there are so many photos that I've taken off the website and no longer print. Pic related is one of my older images that just keeps selling.

>>2975171
Lots of reasons, but a big part of it comes down to the fact that it works well for me and I'm used to the workflow. I have no need for speed in the landscape business and I don't feel the desire to go the convenient route. I like the look of larger formats (less distortion with wides, depth, etc) and I have no desire to keep up with new gear all the time. I'm also incredibly hard on my equipment and prefer gear that has very little that can go wrong with it. Also when a fat guy walks in my art show booth and barks "CANON OR NIKON?!" I can kindly tell him to fuck off and I don't have to let him have the pleasure of rubbing his brand preference in my face because I just don't care.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width2400
Image Height3000
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:02:21 20:39:04
Image Width819
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975162
/p/ is NOT for critiques

I filter all those threads, they're 14 year olds telling other 14 year olds how to take pictures
>>
File: 2image190.jpg (659KB, 1024x812px) Image search: [Google]
2image190.jpg
659KB, 1024x812px
>>2975179
I was typing my answer as you posted, I think >>2975188 this sums it up. It's much more about process than anything else. If it were just about a high resolution print I'm sure I'd be better off shooting digital medium format and blending exposures, but I just don't want to do that.

A rock city forest on Provia

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11411
Image Height9258
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:15 15:50:00
Image Width1024
Image Height812
>>
>>2975189
then that makes you a 12 year old trying to be a 14 year old :^)
>>
>>2975188
>Also when a fat guy walks in my art show booth and barks "CANON OR NIKON?!" I can kindly tell him to fuck off and I don't have to let him have the pleasure of rubbing his brand preference in my face because I just don't care.
In all the years I've seen you on /p/, I think this is the closest you've ever come to being even remotely snarky.

I don't mean that in a bad way either. It's just fascinating to see Alex with 1px unsharp mask added to the personality.
>>
File: 2image362.jpg (462KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image362.jpg
462KB, 1024x1024px
>>2975199
Hah! Spend the entire summer in a 10x10 foot booth dealing with the general public and you're bound to get a little bit snarky. The questions and comments I get from the average Joe can be downright saddening.

Provia for this one.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5534
Image Height5677
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:22 10:25:34
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975154
>>
>>2975199
>Alex with 1px unsharp mask added

kek
>>
File: 1459166418001.png (45KB, 695x594px) Image search: [Google]
1459166418001.png
45KB, 695x594px
> I'm happy to give out advice on the business of landscapes
gibe advices on this Alegs Burger, thangs
>>
>>2975208
*about making you known to sell prints and especially how to price them, to what kind of clientele is better to sell and how to get them/where to go/present yourself and your stuff - do you sell more by automated process through your site or by networking? Which one is better?
>>
>>2975076
What would you say film can offer me that a DSLR cant? Also I live mostly many tropical forrests and beaches, I know thats probably not your thing but do you have any tips for photographing ocean horizons and lush forests where its dificult to capture much landscape normally
>>
As our patron saint of good photos perhaps you can solve the dilemma once and for all.
Does isi have skill, talent, or vision? Is /p/ unnecessarily harsh on her work for reasons beyond quality?

Jamiewilliams.22slides.com

Help us Alex Burkenobi, you're our only hope
>>
hello, could you help me please photoshop this? :)

>>>/sp/72838593

thanks ;)
>>
>>2975203
It's funny because I've had the same thing happen to me MANY times selling at booths. They aren't even interested in the photos. They just want to shit on your camera.

I'm at the point of almost being able to be 100% pro, but I'm just having problems getting to shows. I have no clue where to look for the shows because many times you have to sign up many months in advance, and I don't know about the shows until they're happening. So where do you get the info and sign up for all the shows you do?

And also, when you do sell at shows, do you stock up on big prints and small prints? What's the general make up of the materials you bring with you? I've been pretty heavy on selling metal prints because it's ready to hang on a wall and the clients don't need to get a custom frame or something if they don't want it.

And one last question. Do you limit your editions, or keep them open?

Thanks, I already follow you on instagram and have actually talked to you a few times before about scanners
>>
What's this, no black and white? Geez.

>>2975090
The swirly leaf effect is rather cool, but it seems kind of overdone because of its sheer size. The leafy colours in the upper left seem underexploited in comparison, as do the stones on the upper right next to the waterfall. Dunno if changing it would've rescued the picture, but it seems gimmicky.

Guess this is why I shoot roll film: different ideas, variations on a theme. Bracketing for composition.

>>2975190
I like these experiments with stones up close. This does capture the feel of the rock, and the bark. However, at the same time there's a big black hole behind the tree, and the trees and the hole in their "canopy" are just a splash of colour and flare, not really composed in.

>>2975083
Wish I'd taken this one.
>>
thanks for the knowledge bombs.
do data sheets for film describe saturation levels of colors? or maybe will you explain spectral sensitivity curves, spectral dye curves.
>>
retard incoming

how to you guys resize your images?
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 1000x800px
>>2975247
Crop

Image Width1000
Image Height800
>>
File: ektar100.png (68KB, 690x644px) Image search: [Google]
ektar100.png
68KB, 690x644px
>>2975230
not mentioning luminance
highest saturation is 600-700, 500-550
>>2975247
use a free website
>>
>>2975247
I display the photo I want resized on my 4k monitor (smaller pixels) and rephotograph it with an older camera so it shrinks the megapixels.
>>
>>2975268
This is good.

>>2975247

Or you can open it in photoshop, then zoom out and take a screenshot. Then post your screenshot on here.

But the best way is to just use the small jpeg feature of your camera so you don't have to fuss around with changing resolutions. I have a 36mp camera and shoot it at 3-4 mp all the time
>>
>>2975268
I think I'll do this

but in all seriousness I just used the resize feature on MS paint.
>>
File: OutdoorBoothShot.jpg (284KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
OutdoorBoothShot.jpg
284KB, 1024x1024px
>>2975209
Yes, I think it is a good site. Not necessarily for the highest quality critique but more of a quick pass or fail for images. It's one more source to post images to help with a decision on whether or not I want to assume the financial risk of producing prints of it. And unlike social media, /p/ doesn't have algorithms that decide your post will be hidden today for no real reason. /p/ feedback is raw, and it even works when people know who you are. Even if things become a circlejerk the main reason I post here is to see which images get the most response, the best response, or the worst (or no) response and I throw that into the back of my head as an additional source of feedback. You have to be able to filter and deal with trolls, and realize that sometimes they actually are valid.

>>2975208
>>2975218
There are many ways to get your images out there (galleries, social media, websites, hell I've even heard of people selling photos on etsy), but the way that has worked best for me is outdoor weekend art shows. Nearly every weekend in the summer I show up in a different tourist town with a completely new crowd of people. Instead of waiting for them to walk into my brick and mortar gallery I go to them. These events are advertised by the promoter and usually have between 100 to 300 artist, good ones get a good crowd, great ones get an educated or at least wealthy crowd. Pic related, it's the mobile business.

Selling through the website is virtually not a thing for me. I really only make sales to people I've met at these shows, and occasionally through word of mouth beyond that. This is not the only way to make money, but it's the one that has worked for me. Money is not a huge goal for me, so as I find myself more financially comfortable I will likely ween myself off these shows in the following decade as they can be a lot of work and an emotional roller coaster of success and failure.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Color Filter Array Pattern910
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1920
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:08:30 10:55:08
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance1.35 m
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length16.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: SuperiorShore.jpg (126KB, 1500x514px) Image search: [Google]
SuperiorShore.jpg
126KB, 1500x514px
>>2975223
I'm not really an advocate of film for the hell of it, so I won't really say it can offer you much over a DSLR, it's just very different. It works for me, but some people hate the extra steps involved. In almost all technical standpoints, modern digital wins by most people's standards.

Sounds like it could be a fun place to photograph, but of course all places lose their charm after a while unless you start to look closer at the things that make your area unique. I would love to try some very bright backlit beach scenes where you are standing on the edge of the forest looking out onto the blue horizon. There's probably also waterfalls and the like nearby. You are right, I haven't done much in the way of coastal stuff. I'm sure eventually sunsets at the beach get pretty mundane. Perhaps try sets where you break the scenes down into simple shapes and repeating patterns or colors.

>>2975224
I don't have a problem with isi. She takes photos and enjoys herself. Many of the photos are also quite pleasant. I'm not interested in the drama of those threads so I tend to skip them unfortunately. I give her props for continuing to post.

>>2975225
No.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2016:08:17 17:45:45
Image Width1500
Image Height514
>>
File: TwilightDunes.jpg (133KB, 1200x411px) Image search: [Google]
TwilightDunes.jpg
133KB, 1200x411px
>>2975226
Yes, it's ridiculous. As soon as they start trying to talk shop I know it's never going to be a customer and just a waste of my time. The last thing I want to do at those things is talk about gear.

There are a lot of sources for shows, the biggest one being zapplication.org. You also apply to the large majority of shows through that website. Other than that it's word of mouth and sometimes your state may have very poorly put together website with a list of shows that mostly contain broken links. Some of the shows still do mail in applications (these can be the best because you don't get 100 photographers applying to them online), and often they are run by a group of old ladies that still don't know what the internet is. Google a tourist town you're interested in and the words "art festival" and you might find something. Zapplication has made it tough for shows, I just got declined from all 7 of the good Texas shows that happen in March through April, so I might not have any significant income until April. These shows used to only get a few hundred apps but now they get 1200 or more and there are only 100-300 spots to fill.

I have a rather small van so I can't carry unlimited stuff. I have a good supply of small matted prints that people can take home that day, but for the bigger stuff I tend to take orders so they get a fresh undamaged print mailed to them in three weeks. This works wonderfully in tourist towns because no one wants to fly home with a 4x5 foot print. Of course if someone wants to take one off the wall they sure can, but I don't have a whole lot of spare inventory.

I'm not a huge fan of metal, but it is VERY popular these days. I do the wood mounts with a laminated low-glare surface. Similar to metal they don't need a frame which people tend to like.

I do editions of 150. Some of the shows require that you do limiteds and I'm hoping that as some of them get closer to the final number there can be a buying frenzy.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2016:11:29 09:16:46
Image Width1200
Image Height411
>>
>>2975224
only a fucking retard would do this
>>
File: 2image380.jpg (475KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image380.jpg
475KB, 1024x1024px
>>2975226
Also, have we met in person or just online?

>>2975228
Yeah I've really slacked on b&w lately. Kind of a shame, should probably get back into it. Thanks for the thoughts.

>>2975230
I have never looked at a film data sheet and don't know if I will. In my everyday shooting that sort of stuff doesn't mean much to me. Sorry I can't be of more help there.

>>2975247
For the most part you go to image>imagesize and type in the desired dimensions.

>>2975257
Yeah, I don't understand how this would help me in the field.

Car trails and canyon glow on Provia, just a fun shot while I was waiting around.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5534
Image Height5677
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:30 08:52:20
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
Thanks for doing this. Unfortunately I don't have the time to read the thread today, so I'll save it for tomorrow. I have a couple of questions: how do you prepare your photo trips, and how do you look and find new potentially interesting locations? Do you trek around on foot a lot, or drive across the country? Do you go out and first explore everything just to mark the interesting locations to visit later, or do you shoot as you go? Can you give a rough estimate on how many selling photos you get from one trip on average?
>>
Hey Alex. Thanks for dropping by. I still haven't used that 4x5 Dev tree thing you sold me but I plan to someday when I get the right tank.

Do you have any thoughts on the Fuji GFX? Do you ever think about trying out digital medium format? Sorry my only question is on gear.
>>
>>2975129
>unless the Velvia made in Japan starts getting shipped to the states again.

Hey Alex, I'm living in Japan until August and would gladly ship some boxes to you if youd like. Payment could be via bank transfer. Shipping is surprisinly affordable. I imagine a few boxes would be $10-$15 for shipping.
>>
File: astia100provia400f.png (143KB, 1452x502px) Image search: [Google]
astia100provia400f.png
143KB, 1452x502px
>>2975308
wow you shoot film for a living and dont have a use for data sheets. obviously wasting my time looking at the data myself.
adam's 'the negative' had an excerpt about density and sensitometry that was sufficient.

so for instance: astia and provia compared to >>2975257 (ektar100) will have much more saturated blues (400-480), ektar will have more saturated greens in the 500-550 range (yellowish greens), and reds are saturated the same way across all three. however, they still will differ in luminance values of reds. youve probably shot enough film to know all this instinctively but i bought my first camera (gr) last year and have not shot much film from the beginning I always wondered about color on film vs digital
>>
File: ektar_1.png (50KB, 838x458px) Image search: [Google]
ektar_1.png
50KB, 838x458px
>>2975325
about luminance.
on astia and provia the peaks on the spectral dye curve are the same meaning they have the same brightness. compare to ektar the peaks are not equal ie blues are rendered most luminous, then greens, then reds, then yellows.

my take is that, say this photo >>2975143, which has some dark shadow areas and a bright blue sky, astia would work better than ektar because the blue sky would be the sky would be less luminous and more saturated. you
>>2975129 would be interesting to see the same shot on a fuji stock
>>
>>2975283
Thanks for your reply and also thanks for the following replies to questions I had in mind but other people asked.

It is a bit how I imagined it, but unfortunately, here on the other side of the planet we don't have such events, the only real similar possibility here is the Christmas market, which happens once in a year... Also, I'm pretty reclusive and not very good at PR.

I guess here we lack the intermediate, more spontaneous events (ie bring your own stuff outside and sell it) between amateur and museum. And where I live in particular we even lack the amateur thing.
>>
>Ask ... anything

Will she ever love me again?
>>
File: 1370865402167.jpg (18KB, 317x255px) Image search: [Google]
1370865402167.jpg
18KB, 317x255px
>>2975154
tell me all about all the money you make from landscape photography please, I'll wait.
>>
File: 2image112.jpg (920KB, 1024x822px) Image search: [Google]
2image112.jpg
920KB, 1024x822px
>>2975320
I think I answered most of those questions in this post >>2975117

As far as the number of sellable photos that can range from 0 to maybe 2 or 3 from a very successful trip.

>>2975321
Awesome, I hope it treats you well. To be honest I don't know what a Fuji GFX is. I don't think I have an interest in digital medium format, it's just not the process I'm looking for and would leave me with a very expensive piece of gear I'd be sure to break.

>>2975322
Awesome! Do you know about what it costs over there per box? Provia is about $72 a box right now and the cheapest I've seen Velvia 50 in the states is $120 for some group buys.

>>2975325
>>2975328
Yeah that's all stuff I've definitely not looked at before. I mean it makes sense but I really go by a guy feeling and experience when choosing a film in the field. I go more so by the DR capabilities I need and the color that I know from experience. If you're curious I have a blog post about film types from my view here: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2013/02/25/color-film-choices-for-landscapes

>>2975336
Yeah, that can be a problem depending on where you live. I've heard people mention that these actually do exist in parts of Europe and other countries, but I'm sure not everywhere. The other markets you can always get into are workshops, and I'm sure trying to contact people directly can also work if not be a bit intimidating. I hate cold calling.

>>2975337
If she once loved you but no longer does, it's probably time to move on. I'm sorry to say that anon, but in my experience I've never seen great success from people that break up and then date each other again. Keep your chin up, the right lady is out there somewhere.

Provia probably.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11297
Image Height9068
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:15 10:59:25
Image Width1024
Image Height822
>>
Great thread, thanks for doing it!

I'm looking at starting a similar method of hitting up small art fairs to sell prints, do you find there's any style of shots that really sell well for you?
>>
>>2975339
Thanks, I'll buy a roll of Provia.

I love your stuff mate, pics of course and I check your blog now and then. "Luminosity Masks and Film Scans" post was one of the first I read about the topic.
Keep up the good work.
>>
>>2975339
>Provia 100F = 9,600ï¿¥ for box of 20
>Velvia 50 = 9,700ï¿¥ for box of 20

I can also get Provia 400X in 120 for 4,500ï¿¥ a pro pack if that interests you at all as it's really hard to find in the US and mindblowinly expensive when you do. Seems like 4x5 Provia is cheaper for you to buy stateside. If you want to grab some Velvia 50 or Provia 400X let me know. We can just do a straight currency conversion to USD of the day's rate.

BTW, ever hiked to Bowen Lake out by Granby (Bowen Gulch Trail)? It's a lovely hike to a beautiful alpine lake. Along the way you pass through alpine meadows, walk along a ridge, and finally get an elevated view of the lake before dropping ~300m down to it. Recommend you check it out, would love to see what you come up with. Nearly got trampled by a moose we accidently spooked...twice in the same day.
>>
>>2975345
BTW, I have US Bank so you wouldn't actually need to pay for currency conversion or anything. Right now 9700ï¿¥ = ~$84 USD.
>>
>>2975304
Cool, thanks for the info. Do you find that you make the most money from the larger prints? or do the smaller matter prints tend to be your bread and butter?

it's just so hard for me to sell tiny prints, especially if they're limited edition. I usually have a few big prints at the shows I do, just so people can understand the scale, then I'll have a few small ones, and obviously my portfolio too so people can make the link between the big ones and what they're seeing in my portfolio so they can order custom sizes. But it seems like people are all over the place and don't tend to sway one way or the other.

>>2975308
Only online, unless we've bumped into eachother somewhere else. I live in California right now, but lived in texas for 5 years. We've been to all the same places too. Just finished up a trip through Arizona and utah recently.

I think we talked about scanning film. I have an 8x10 camera that I'm too afraid to dump money on. I don't have a scanner for the film and no chemicals for the film either. I want to shoot with it really bad, but it just seems like a pain
>>
>>2975356
>Do you find that you make the most money from the larger prints? or do the smaller matter prints tend to be your bread and butter?
I'll second this question.
>>
I have a reasonable amount of connections to galleries and artists in my area, I recently took up photography as a hobby and so far im getting a feel for my canon memedlsr

I have gotten a couple of compliments on my snapshits already and im just wondering how you would recommend I try to discover and develop a style and eye for photography? Should I just go from inspo to inspo?

For now the plan is just to build up a folder of pictures and sort out ones that I enjoy most, possibly eventually reach out to someone and get an opinion and maybe have an exhibition sometime but thats just daydreamin

Do you have any advice for composition in both natural and industrial settings? Also love this shot >>2975090, how did you achieve that misty effect?
>>
What exposure adjustment do I make when using 91' expired Ektar 125 that was only kept in closet and not fridge? Or is compensating for expired film universal and not specific to film stock
>>
>>2975283
Alex how did you get to be humble and take criticism? What tips would you give the average /p/ user to deal with criticism and separate themselves from their work?

Side question, haven't seen any pano stuff from you this time, left the 617 at home or is there some stuff hidden away?
>>
>>2975188
What, IS your client demographic, actually? What kind of people show up at these art shows?
>>
>>2975391
Not alex. But you just have to look at your photos in an honest manner. When I edit my photos, I'll go back to them like 3 or 4 times to make sure I'm not over doing it or something, but you have to look at it constructively.

I don't take any advice from /p/ though, people on here are harsh for the sake of harshness. If you can be honest with yourself that's half the battle. Because people that are giving your criticism aren't trying to make you feel bad about your work, they're just trying to help you think in a way you didn't think when you were shooting, and trying to help you make it better
>>
>>2975223
Not Alex but as somebody who's shot D-SLRs (full frame and crop), as well as 35mm and 4x5 film:

With 35mm film there is zero technical advantage over using almost any digital camera, and digital has long held the advantage for high ISO shooting so there's that. The dynamic range and resolution on 135 film is not competitive either, although some may try to argue otherwise. I put my FF D-SLR against 135 film and it's obvious the D-SLR is 'better'.

The differences in medium and large format are still there. In large format it's much more pronounced. Plenty of people prefer the look of out of focus areas on larger film planes or sensors, even larger than what full frame digital can provide.

What makes large format ideal for alex's shooting is that you can manipulate the plane of focus to either bring more into focus or throw more out of focus without having to change the aperture. The former is nice because it means you can avoid defraction if you want to focus in everything from a very close foreground object all the way to a far off horizon. You can also do perspective correction by shifting the lens position and avoiding having to give an "angled" appearance which creates that keystoned look. That's especially handy for photographing buildings "properly". You can do this with other formats and specialty lenses, but they cost good money.

Alex, how often do you get asked to shoot people's weddings or other random events? I am strictly a hobbyist right now but when I show people my photos 95% of them respond with "wow can you shoot my wedding/my kids' dance recital/take pictures of my car so I can sell it on craigslist". They don't always offer money and if they do it's not a lot of it, but I get annoyed because they never ask to see more of my stuff. They just want to exploit the utility of my camera. I was wondering if anyone else experienced it and how to deal with it.
>>
>>2975400
>I don't take any advice from /p/ though, people on here are harsh for the sake of harshness.
spoilers m8, don't look below if you're easily triggered.

I'm one of those critique anons, I try to fleece it out with constructive feedback though but always get shit flung back at me for trying to help or give C&C. I honestly want people to feel better and more motivated to improve but I'd love to hear what someone who CAN take that feedback does to tolerate it. I know that I got mine from having a good set of teachers and having it beat into me. I'm finding a lot more anons are crying more nowadays over C&C.
I always strive for improvement and can take a good kick in the balls even on work I think was decent and I at least try to look at it objectively.

Looking back, I should have phrased my question better. I was being too lazy.
>>
>>2975304
Do you ever get offers from wealthy eccentrics to do private shoots of stuff? Personal car collections, their estates, secret society sex orgies?
>>
>>2975408
FIDELIO
>>
>>2975154
I agree with you for the most part, but you're still a chode. However, I do like>>2975117, >>2975143 and especially >>2975150. And >>2975137 is obviously not meant to be a serious photo.

Who buys this shit? Plenty of people. Why the fuck do you think he takes photos like these?
>>
>>2975404
Theres a difference between CC, and taking a shit on someone.

And secondly, I don't take CC from someone on /p/ because seriously, the majority of the photos on the board are either horrible, or not a style I want to be like.

I would gladly take CC from someone like Alex or a photographer that knows what they're talking about. Even someone that can demonstrate an understanding of photography would be beneficial in some way. But it's hard to take it seriously coming from /p/. I'd just say look for CC in a better place than /p/.
>>
>>2975391
It's one thing to take criticism, but it matters little if you don't use that criticism to improve your photography. I like Alex as a poster, he's extremely knowledgeable, but for every good photo, he posts 10 uninspired landscapes and a few snapshots.
>>
>>2975419
I got really skeptical of /p/'s criticism when somebody tried to insist I had cropped a photo to make the composition better when I had originally shot it in pano, so it looked wide and narrow because that was the intention.

I do remember getting good advice here about composition, light and color balancing/editing when I posted. I've had shots in the last couple of books and some stuff I post here gets praised. I would take what anyone has to say with a grain of salt regardless because I want to learn and get better. I get really focused and have a pretty good idea of what I want to photograph, and why, but I'm always interested in opinions from people who can possibly help me reach my goals, or improve some other thing I'm weak on. The advice I usually ignore is overly hostile advice, or "advice" to shoot something completely different than what I already do because what I'm doing is "boring".
>>
>>2975419
>And secondly, I don't take CC from someone on /p/ because seriously, the majority of the photos on the board are either horrible, or not a style I want to be like.

That's seriously retarded. Most people aren't photographers and don't claim to be. But that doesn't mean their feeback isn't worthwhile, especially if you're trying to make a living as a photographer.

I'm certainly not saying that /p/ is the best photo board out there, but where else would you go for CC? Facebook?
>>
>>2975154
(you)
>>
>>2975426
/p/ isn't the only photography forum out there.
>>
>>2975424
yo alex, are you scanning with glass holders? I get decent 45 scans on my v700 but yours are really high quality and the tonality holds throughout.

Secondary question: do you use grads/split filters or is it usually straight shots? I see a lot of cases here where you wouldn't necessarily need any additional filtration.
>>
>>2975469
Sorry, I'm not Alex, but hopefully he can reply to you there.
>>
>>2975424
I know there's good advice on here, but it's impossible to say how much. This website is built around memes. You can ask for all the criticism in the world on here, but you still have to make the judgment of if you want to listen to them or not

>>2975426
I'm not saying that their feedback is worthless. but pic related gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about. I just screenshotted this from a recent photo thread. This guy is giving out advice. Look at his photo
>>2974166
my personal opinion is that photo is no good, zero effort, zero composition, nothing. Yet, he is giving out advice. Not saying it's worthless advice, but do you really think you should listen when he's proudly posting a photo like that? That's up to you. There are plenty of other places to get CC, I'm on a facebook group with a few other photographers from around the world that share their photos, and it's constructive. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with posting photos here. But when an entire board refers to full frames, as fool frames, only care about gear or (you)s, and meme half the time. You've just got to be careful of who you listen to, because it's probably not beneficial 90% of the time
like this one
>>2975268
That's advice on this board. Just imagine the advice you might be following from another person
>>
>>2975469
He actually refrenced that in one of the previous posts
here

>>2975142
>>
>>2975478
>ignores questions
>talks about the meta criticism C&C discussion
>judges someones advice based on their work
>has no ability to filter sarcastic/sardonic posts.
Nice job senpai, that's how you create a culture which leads to people not making photo threads.
At least now I know an Alex Burke presidency would revolve around shitposting about portfolios and being 0% fun.

Now you're getting another question to ignore.
What do you do when you see a post with genuine C&C on the internet but with no portfolio attached? How do you handle the fact that they could be someone who's shooting pictures of beer bottles and piss jugs in their spare time if you can't see that?
>>
>>2975489
>ignores questions

Actually I answered your question.

>ignores answer

And to answer your second question for you to ignore the answer to, which I've already said. Keep in mind who you're talking to. You're talking to the people like that photo I linked. I wouldn't listen to anybody on /p/ that:
1. Doesn't show their photos

2. Has horrible photos

Why would you listen to anything except advice from people that prove they know what they're talking about? You wouldn't get financial advice from a homeless man, why would you get photo advice from this? >>2974166
>>
>>2975489
>has no ability to filter sarcastic/sardonic posts.

I do. But why would I waste my time?

I'm interested in what Alex has to say because he's a good photographer, and not memeing every fucking post, or making sarcastic remarks. He's answering questions. If /p/ was like that, then that would be good. But unfortunately 90% of the people on here are not like that at all
>>
>>2975497
>Actually I answered your question.
Where? I'd be interested in seeing it as both replies to my question were from people claiming to be not Alex and also not answers to the question.

>I wouldn't listen to anybody that
>doesn't show their photos
>has horrible photos
You may enjoy family friendly safespaces like Reddit, Facebook, Tumblr, 500px or Instagram instead. You appear to have stumbled into an anonymous imageboard without realising it. There you'll be able to listen to peoples feedback and check their portfolios to validate your ego! Don't worry, you can safely ignore my post because it doesn't have a photo attached.
>>2975500
It appears you've also stepped outside of your safe space too anon. I'm not sure your claim works in this situation. What exactly do you want /p/'s 90% to be? Answering questions all day? Good photographers? Get a lobotomy and lose all sense of identity to conform to your normie ideal anonymous dream photography board?
If you can't handle a bit of board culture and you're on an imageboard like this then you're probably here by accident. Maybe you're a strict /po/ poster who moonlights here or somehow accidentally made their way to 4chan's photography board without realising that it's hosted on 4chan.org.
>>
Can both of you stop shitting up Alex's thread please? Neither of you are going to convince the other, give it a rest. This thread was going so well...
>>
>>2975509
>I'd be interested in seeing it as both replies to my question

>I'm on a facebook group with a few other photographers from around the world
That was my answer.

Post a photo let's see it. I'll give you some good CC. Unless you're too afraid to leave your safe space. Just share it, I promise I'll be fair. And you can trust my judgement, no Im not going to post a photo of mine to prove I know what I'm talking about. And you should take my advice seriously

I'll answer your questions 1 by 1 so you don't get confused

>What exactly do you want /p/'s 90% to be?
If you want to take the board seriously, the memes and sarcasm shouldn't be here. And I'm not saying those things should go, I love 4chan the way it is. But that's also why I wouldn't take professional advice from 90% of the people on here, they aren't professional.

>Good photographers?
No, Just don't want to take professional photo advice from memelords

>Get a lobotomy and lose all sense of identity to conform to your normie ideal anonymous dream photography board?

No. Im not saying this board isn't useful, it is. But for what? Getting advice that you could get better advice elsewhere, without having to sift through shit. Just my opinion though.

>Maybe you're a strict /po/ poster who moonlights here or somehow accidentally made their way to 4chan's photography board without realising that it's hosted on 4chan.org.

No, I'm a heavy /pol/ user, but I've been on /p/ for longer. I don't mind the culture on /p/, its funny. But it's also toxic in the sense that there's almost no real discussion on here, almost no actually good photography, etc. I'm not saying "dont listen to anybody on this board" but just look at the people on rpt giving out advice. What makes their opinion as valuable as a pro photographer?
>>
>>2975515
Sorry. I'll stop after the other guy posts one of his great photos so I can give it some excellent CC

Sorry Alex
>>
>>2975517
Opinion discarded. You got yourself worked up into posting this and you didn't even reply to the correct post.
That wasn't my question, good job.
>Post a photo let's see it. I'll give you some good CC. Unless you're too afraid to leave your safe space. Just share it, I promise I'll be fair. And you can trust my judgement, no Im not going to post a photo of mine to prove I know what I'm talking about. And you should take my advice seriously
Here you go anon. give me both barrels but be gently okay?

>I'll answer your questions 1 by 1 so you don't get confused
Not necessary. The rest of your post is discarded anyway because you seemed to think I had an existing conversation with you.
>>2975515
Fuck off. It's a thread and it'll still be here when you wake up tomorrow morning. Could you stop shitting up the board with your empty fucking replies in an attempt to act as some sort of prefect.
In fact, could you fucking locate the nearest toilet and proceed to drown yourself in it while screaming about your golden god of landscape photography's thread having discussion on it.
Or you could run and get the head teacher, oi mr nishimura there's two bullies 'avin it out in the landscape playground.
>>2975518
Posted. Don't say sorry m8, the only thing you did wrong was assume someone was someone else and assume a gender.
Never stop being a professional shitposter. You're very good at it.
>>
>>2975521
You can't even post a serious photo that you've actually taken! HAHAHAH! You know your photos are such shit, that you won't even post them on an anonymous image board for criticism! HAHAHAH!!!! I can see your fat fucking sausage fingers in the reflection of the nose in the photo, which gives me a good indication of where your self-confidence comes from, which obviously bleeds over into your confidence in photography. You bitch and moan that this place is actually a good place to get criticism for photos, and this is the shit you pull to try to convince me of that? Get real you fat tranny, and go post on /lgbt/ or better yet r/cucks, those might fit you better (if you can fit in anything at all)
>>
>>2975527
mad
>>
>>2975530
I'm mad that that fat tranny is claiming this is a genuinely good place to get good constructive criticism, and can't even summon the courage to post a photo to get some CC
>>
>>2975527
wew, too far lad. Where's your photo in return? Where's the CC you promised?
Too mad to actually post a real response? You were too mad before to even respond to the correct post. This post also contains the best use of a comma & and that I've seen this year, bloody impressive!
>>2975531
>literally took the bait hook, line and sinker
You've went too deep. It's almost to the point that I feel I'm being baited now. Good job I suppose.
>>
and the newfags + isi fuck up yet another thread
>>
File: DSC08829.jpg (2MB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08829.jpg
2MB, 1620x1080px
>>2975536
>Where's the CC you promised?

That was my CC, that's exactly the ammount it deserved.

>I'm being baited now

Yeah, probably.

Okay, now real CC.

It's not looking too good. There's no subject in the photo, the only thing I can assume is the subject is the only object that's infocus, the pirate flag. Why? What are you showing here?

And a serious note, you really need to not compress your images so much. I can seriously hardly look at it because of the goofy gif artifacts. Just export jpg next time and that will make it 20 times better.

Okay, and here's mine so you know I'm not a shit poster like you. Give me genuine CC, and prove to me this is a good place to get photo advice from casuals

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7R
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image Created2016:10:23 17:34:31
Exposure Time75 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Brightness-6.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDaylight
Focal Length31.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1620
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2975539
im in fucking heaven
>>
>>2975541
Hilariously, last time I saw this photo I remember it was attached to a post that made me laugh, so here goes. I got to ignore it in that thread too.
https://archive.nyafuu.org/p/thread/2959788/#2959857
I'm going to go ahead and say that if you were harassed, you probably deserved it too desu.

I'm still 100% sure I'm being baited, which is great.
>And a serious note, you really need to not compress your images so much. I can seriously hardly look at it because of the goofy gif artifacts. Just export jpg next time and that will make it 20 times better.
I exported this next one as a jpeg for you.
>why?
>what are you showing here?
The futility of man and our relationship in a modern society with modern earth.

On a serious note, you really need to resize your shit and keep it to under 1MB for me to consider opening this file. Just like anything that would be posted in it's own thread or the RPT, too large for me to bother opening it.

SUPER EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS ROUND
>comma followed by and
>comma followed by and
I r8 this post a very special 5/8
>>2975539
shhhh you

>>
>>2975545
LOL!! How the fuck could you possibly have remembered that post??? Hey! At least my image was memorable, right?? The only reason I keep using that image is because I still refuse to post any image that can be linked back to me.

Yeah, I probably deserved it, as you can see from my previous posts, I'm sure there are some people that could get triggered.

>On a serious note, you really need to resize your shit and keep it to under 1MB

Yeah, it's just a photo that I already sized small, didn't want to fuck around with it this late at night, didn't feel like it. Do you have dial up or something?

But see, your photos aren't the style that I personally appreciate. So if you told me that my photo was oversaturated (which is probably is) I just wouldn't listen. And if I told you that photo is pointless, you wouldn't listen, because you obviously know there's a point to it.

But I will try to keep that image under 1mb in the future, so someday your dial up will be able to view it. Thank you.

And sorry again alex, continue with your thread :^)
>>
>>2975545
>>comma followed by and
>I know better

>>2975551
>>So if you told me that my photo was oversaturated (which is probably is) I just wouldn't listen.
>I know better

This shows quite a lot about the /p/ culture: I know better. And of course, no one should be bothered about comparing aspects, if the conversational partner doesn't know anything better, which can be assumed for every anon.

Opinion discarded results in /p/ discarded, because, well, who couldn't be a bloody beginner?

>>2975283
>I think [/p/] is a good site. Not necessarily for the highest quality critique but more of a quick pass or fail for images. It's one more source to post images to help with a decision on whether or not I want to assume the financial risk of producing prints of it.

This. What do others honestly think about my shots?
The manner of expression is the thing that I filter.
>>
>>2975140
Yeah I know this feel but with city scapes.

Getting to the scene and you just can't get into the right position for a shot, or the heavy traffic you hope for doesn't materialize. Or just bad weather.
>>
do you use holder for GND or just use your hand?
>>
>>2975142
>If you want to simulate the effects of a GND you can wave a dark object over the top of the lens during a portion of the exposure. This is a really handy tactic and quite easy if your exposure is a second or longer.

Care to expand a bit on this or possibly post some resources on this? How does this work exactly?
>>
>>2975150
Thank you. The patience required is astounding.
>>
File: image275.jpg (374KB, 1024x810px) Image search: [Google]
image275.jpg
374KB, 1024x810px
>>2975345
Awesome, that's a pretty reasonable price. I should have a pretty decent print deal going through in a month that should give me some income to stock up on film. Shoot me an email sometime so we can be in touch.

I haven't done the Bowen Gulch trail, but I did find a route from the back side of that mountain range that takes you to the southwest side of Bowen Peak and a little gem of a lake called Ruby Lake. Absolutely no was was there, it was wonderful. Pic Related.

>>2975356
It looks like small prints have made me about 20% of my income this year, last year was probably closer to 40%. I really went big with the prints in my booth and that's what is selling best now. I consider the small prints to be my insurance policy, they almost always cover expenses and makes some sales in case it's a lousy show. But I don't really start making good money until the big stuff starts to move. Big stuff is definitely higher risk but you need to have a huge, high end piece in the $3k range if you want to sell to that group. You only sell $3k if you have a $3k print on display. I'm looking at moving a little more high end on the big piece next year, I'm going to go ballsy and try for $4k to $5k for my top price point.

Go shoot that 8x10! Or at least do b&w and make some epic contact prints with it.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Horizontal Resolution2000 dpi
Vertical Resolution2000 dpi
Image Created2013:08:29 22:02:15
Image Width1024
Image Height810
>>
File: Page08.jpg (148KB, 1300x600px) Image search: [Google]
Page08.jpg
148KB, 1300x600px
>>2975370
You should probably continue to chase inspirations for a while and not worry about exhibition right away if you're getting started. Keep your mind open and when you find something that speaks to you get more focused on in. I think a gallery exhibition should have more of a theme, where images mean something together. That is quite a bit different from these outdoor shows I do, where it's almost a hodgepodge of stuff to try to appeal to the average Joe from all sorts of different backgrounds. I would never put that mix of work in a gallery setting, it just wouldn't look good and I'd be laughed out the door if it was a respectable gallery. Look for themes and images that build upon each other.

For example, I've always loved this set of images I've done on the oil industry. I have dozens but I'd still like more, but all the images flow together and each one makes the set stronger.

>>2975379
I've never used severely expired film so I can't really help you there.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2013:10:08 10:31:00
Image Width1300
Image Height600
>>
File: 2image206crop.jpg (325KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
2image206crop.jpg
325KB, 1200x400px
>>2975391
It's easy to become very attached to your work. Always keep improving yourself but most importantly shoot for yourself and not the appreciation of others. /p/ is only painfully harsh if you take every word to heart. Remember these are just people online and you can choose to take them seriously or not. When someone says "it's shit" you can choose to feel offended or you can just move on. If a lot of people have negative words about an image, it may be a good idea to consider their viewpoint. Most likely one of them will have said something constructive as well. Sometimes you have to stand back and weed out the weak images. Again, I must say that it's important to shoot for yourself. If you create something that everyone on /p/ hates but you know you're doing it for the sake of growing and learning and it brings you happiness then keep it up!

I still have some pano shots to go through, here's a recent one.

>>2975398
It's people of all sorts, but the buying demographic really is 50 to 60 year old upper middle class folk. Occasionally I get surprising orders from 20 somethings so it's good to see the new generation will still buy artwork.

>>2975402
I get asked that stuff all the time. Even when someone walks into my booth of landscapes they ask if I can do a family shoot for them. The answer is always no. I was going to meetings for the local Chamber of Commerce but no one understands what landscape photographer means there. One guy thought I meant that I photograph landscaping projects around people's suburban homes. I just tell people that I use a very slow to operate film camera with expensive sheets, and my equipment is geared towards landscapes so I can't help them.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width16574
Image Height5610
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:11:03 21:48:43
Image Width1200
Image Height400
>>
>>2975304
this image is my favorite of yours, and I've followed you on Instagram for a while. So fuckin good dude.

>>2975685
second best. really great. This whole series on your site is really relevant in relation to the Dakota pipeline. Newsweek may be a good place to send this.

>>2975479
yeah just spotted that this morning. But more important for me is the scanning thing. I found it on his blog though, and it's similar to my workflow but with the luminosity mask is new to me, so that will be implemented to eliminate color casts easier than the channel mixer. Also, I can tell from the screen grabs he uses the stock 4x5 holders for the Epson v700.

Alex, one last question: Your scanning blog post doesn't mention any post scan scanning, and I saw that Unsharp Mask on the software was unchecked. Do you/How do you Sharpen? I usually use a gradient map with softlight blending at 15% and then merge all layers to the top (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E the handiest shortcut I know) and use the highpass filter, and bring it in until I can see color in the preview box, then take it back about 1.5 points, and also use that on softlight and bring it in between 40-70 percent.
>>
File: 2image025.jpg (623KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image025.jpg
623KB, 1024x1024px
Whew lads, I read to read through a lot of bickering to get to the next question.

>>2975617
I use a holder almost all the time, if I don't have time for a holder then I'll be waving the darkslide in front of the lens.

>>2975635
I explain the process better in this blog post about a third of the way down: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2016/3/28/metering-and-exposing-color-film

Essentially you wave a black item over part of the frame, like a black glove or a darkslide. If the exposure time is 4 seconds and you have it over the top for 2 you will have done the same thing as a 1 stop GND. You would have to wave it over the top for 3 seconds out of the 4 to have the effect of a 2 stop GND. This is real handy for mountain valleys or items that don't have the shape of a GND filter horizon.

>>2975720
Thank Grant. It would be very interesting to see in person what is going on in the Dakotas.

I really do a rather crude sharpening. I just go to filter>sharpen>unsharp mask and do about 90%, 2px radius, and a threshold of 3 or so. Your method probably can achieve much better results.

This one is Provia

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5725
Image Height5905
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:08:12 08:44:42
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975679
>You only sell $3k if you have a $3k print on display.
Speaking from experience in an unrelated business, this is a huge concept that a lot of entrepreneurs don't get, especially early on. Once you get into a certain price range, people actually expect to pay premium. They feel like they're getting quality and value for a higher price.

If you've got 30 massive prints that you're only selling for $100 a pop, you won't move all 30. You might sell a hand full, but even then you'll only make a few hundred bucks. If you've got a couple of massive prints that you're selling for $3k, you're much more likely to see a few of those. It's weird psychology, but people want to pay for a professional, skilled product like that.
>>
>>2975736
>I explain the process better in this blog post about a third of the way down: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2016/3/28/metering-and-exposing-color-film
>Essentially you wave a black item over part of the frame, like a black glove or a darkslide. If the exposure time is 4 seconds and you have it over the top for 2 you will have done the same thing as a 1 stop GND. You would have to wave it over the top for 3 seconds out of the 4 to have the effect of a 2 stop GND. This is real handy for mountain valleys or items that don't have the shape of a GND filter horizon.

thanks Alex! Just to be clear though: you wave the dark object above the lens right? Not actually in the top part of the inner circle of the lens right?
>>
So, if you have any tip to a beginner who wants to do landscape photography and to get into the 'market', what tip would you give?

love your photography, alex
>>
>>2975076
Jumping back to an issue that you've discussed in a few different aspects in this thread:

Have you ever had a shot that you just absolutely loved that nobody else seemed to get? Either it just didn't sell/didn't get any attention or it received a lot of negative feedback on /p/ or social media?
>>
File: image695.jpg (260KB, 1024x805px) Image search: [Google]
image695.jpg
260KB, 1024x805px
>>2975741
I agree completely, and you're right so many people miss that point. The psychology of art purchases is very bizarre but I have definitely found that I'm completely in control of my pricing. Essentially a print is worth $3k because I say it is.

>>2975748
You actually wave it over the front of the lens over the area of the frame that you want to darken. You could look through your viewfinder and see approximately where you need to hold the dark object to darken the sky. It's pretty cool, give it a whirl!

>>2975756
I would say first of all, get deep into the landscapes. Find the spots that speak to you and express them to the best of your ability. You should connect emotionally with both your images and the landscape you create them in. You should get truly passionate about creating landscapes, finding yourself waking up hours before dawn to get the best light and spending all of your free time researching locations and shooting. Then worry about the market after you have a solid body of work. It's a business of passion no doubt. I'm giving you this advice because you mentioned the word beginner and I want to emphasize how important creating powerful images is. Connecting with the landscape is also far more important than the equipment or even possibly technique if I dare say.

As far as getting into the market, you must have a good presentation for your new masterpieces (framing, etc) and a good inventory (which is slow to build at first without a lot of money), then you have to find a venue. That venue for me has been the outdoor art shows but there are other methods as well such as galleries and whatnot.

>>2975763
Definitely. Even moreso I find consistently that images /p/ enjoys do not sell well. These images are also often popular on social media but in front of my buying public they do not move. I've had this photo on display for two years and finally sold one, so I will be removing the others I have from my inventory.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2014:06:11 21:50:20
Image Width1024
Image Height805
>>
>>2975339
Thanks, yeah, you answered my questions previously in the thread, I've just managed to read through it now.
>>
File: 1image472.jpg (510KB, 1024x810px) Image search: [Google]
1image472.jpg
510KB, 1024x810px
>>2975763
My comment got too long. I will also say that I've almost learned to predict what images /p/ will like and to some extent what images will sell better. Usually those are not the same but occasionally they line up.

I'll post another that seems to have done well online but sales of actual prints have been rather stale. I've sold a few mostly small ones, even though I think the 24x30" framed print I have of it is stunning. I've had a few people almost bite on it but they always go to my best seller instead that was posted earlier in this thread here >>2975143

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2015:08:02 14:07:20
Image Width1024
Image Height810
>>
>>2975776
>I've had this photo on display for two years and finally sold one
That's wild. That's always been one of my favorites of yours. Weird.
>>
>>2975776
>Essentially a print is worth $3k because I say it is.
This.

I just had a guy come hire me for professional services. There's no objective market for this type of thing. Sure, he has options and he could shop around, but the uniqueness of each service provider means that it's really hard to compare prices and services, even in the same industry. I quoted him $5k for my services. Why? Because that's what I decided I wanted to be paid for it.
>>
>>2975782
I can't believe that that's your best seller.

I remember when you originally posted it, because I think it's the one and only time I've ever flat out criticized one of your shots. It's not bad, but I've just never thought it up was to snuff.

I would've almost guaranteed that your reflection shots would be the big sellers. I get why your oil/plains stuff doesn't sell as well, even though I like it.
>>
>>2975304
Just wanted to say that I think this triptych is the best -tych you've ever done. The shapes + the color progression + the moon/shrub balance is just fucking amazing.
>>
>>2975801
Not alex. I sell prints as well, and its odd because sometimes images on a screen for some reason just don't translate well to print. If you're ever on instagram and see those photos on art of visuals or something like that. They look pretty cool on a tiny screen. But if you were to print that large and hang it on your wall, I promise, youd and most people would hate it. I obviously can't comment on the Plains photos Alex has though.
>>
>>2975736
>I really do a rather crude sharpening.
You know, Bart has a free photoshop action that does really, really great spot sharpening. It uses a mask layer so you can only apply it to the parts of the image you want to. Works great with a wacom tablet.

It's called "Freaky Amazing Detail" I use it on lots of photos that have either people in them or clearly defined foreground subjects.
>>
>>2975691
Thanks for answering Alex and keep up the pano work. It's always interesting to see how you'll tackle a scene with a pano cam :3c
>>
>>2975776
>It's pretty cool, give it a whirl!

will give it a try on the weekend Alex senpai, thanks
>>
>>2975776
Can you confirm if i understand your method correctly? Because i am poor and dont want to buy a GND+holder yet.

>you place your darkslide over the lens (lets say 50% of the top of the lens if the sky takes up 50% of the image)
>take the shot (e.g 8 second exposure)
>wiggle the darkslide to imitate the 'graduated' effect of a filter to avoide a hard edge
>fully remove the darkslide from the shot depending on exposure of the sky (e.g after 4 seconds for 1 stop brighter)
>rest of the shot is taken

Also how close do you hold the darkslide to your lens?
>>
>>2975736
if you do decide to go, we could talk more about, I've got a few pj friends there now. I think the local paper nearest to there just posted a rather scathing article about the general lack of artistic/journalistic freedoms afforded the journalists working inside the protestors camps, coming down from the protest movement leadership, which is disheartening. If I wasn't nailed to this 9-5 in NYC I'd head out that way.

Any plans for mid december? I'm doing a steel/north coal belt tour for hopefully 8 days between NYC and Detroit, if you ever venture that far over. 8x10 all the way.
>>
>>2975679
>Shoot me an email sometime so we can be in touch.

Cool, will do.

>>2975691
This is fabulous btw. The scale that house brings is lovely. Hadn't seen this one before.
>>
>>2975203

I love how different those rocks are on your photo from what they look like on almost any other photo of them which I've seen.
>>
>>2975782
One more: How often do you use focus related movements? Scheimpflug or similar? I see a few shots from a 90mm on your site, the Colorado plains flower image, and was wondering how much of that was DOF compared to tilts.
>>
File: img200.jpg (464KB, 1000x788px) Image search: [Google]
img200.jpg
464KB, 1000x788px
>>2975789
Yeah that happens rather often with photos, same as this snowy hay bales one. I've always loved it but only sold two of them in 6 years.

>>2975794
Yep, it's very important to understand how much of a say we have in pricing. In fact, we have all the say.

>>2975801
Yeah I remember that one not getting a lot of love on /p/ but I liked it enough to try printing it rather large and it got a really good reception from the public. It was worth printing for sure, I think that will be the first one to sell out of an edition.

>>2975804
Thank you very much, I'm pretty happy with it.

>>2975807
Very true, prints can have a very different feel from online images.

>>2975808
Interesting, might have to try that out.

>>2975976
Yep, you got it exactly right. You can hold it pretty close to the lens, doesn't matter a whole lot. The wiggling is definitely the important part.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2010:11:20 18:10:28
Image Width1000
Image Height788
>>
File: 4x5flowers.jpg (214KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4x5flowers.jpg
214KB, 1024x768px
>>2975985
That's a shame they aren't letting photographers get in there. I would hate to go up there and be forced to stand behind a gate, but I wonder if there's areas outside the protests where one could document the landscape and the proposed changes to it from a more personal level.

I've got orders to fill and will probably be around Colorado for most of December. After the new year I am planning on heading out west a bit more, so I don't think I'll be out in the rust belt area any time soon.

>>2976020
Thanks, those rocks catch glow for only about one hour a day in the autumn so if you time it right you can get some decent light and colors.

>>2976062
Almost all my landscapes have some sort of tilt applied to them, usually it doesn't need a whole lot though unless I'm getting pretty close to the foreground. Here's a snap of my camera when shooting those flowers, you can see I had a ton of tilt applied and was really close to them. I almost always try to keep the back straight and vertical if possible and use movements for the rest.

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelSGH-T999
Image Width1024
Image Height768
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:02 08:36:57
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash
Image Width1024
Image Height768
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2976366
When you post these throwaway digital shots like this, how much effort do you put into editing/color/etc.?
>>
>>2975304
only image I actually enjoy itt but god damn is it good
>>
>>2976366
I have that head and I hate it so much, I can never get it totally locked down. I ended up getting a 405.
>>
File: 2image137.jpg (635KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image137.jpg
635KB, 1024x1024px
>>2976371
That was just a quick phone edit to get rid of the nasty Samsung greens and resize for web. That's really all I do, however that one looks like the blacks are raised which is confusing.

>>2976406
I actually quite like that head, it's so simple. I wish it were smaller though. I broke it over a year ago (snapped the lever on the wooden bed frame in my van) but I just couldn't justify a $500 investment in a new head and all the QR plates so I bought another used one for $40.

Provia for this one.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5753
Image Height5725
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:10:12 22:37:05
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975339
almost a painting, my new favourite of yours!
>>
>>2975339
Something about this picture draws attention to the little silver firs, one in the foreground like an irreverent elf while the other hides coyly in the center background. Dunno what it is about the rest; the yellows seem too much, the greens with a cast of some kind.

>>2976364
This'd be so much better if the sky were more exciting.

>>2976444
Kinda the same here: foreground is fine, skies wonderful, background has interesting light, but middleground left I just can't get into. Also the sharp contrast between the stone in the foreground and said shadowy bit is a bit jarring.
>>
Hello Alex. I've been a big fan. Luminosity filters changed my life.

I've been shooting MF film, mostly color and some 4x5 black and white. I'm looking at an 8x10 monorail with nice (not great) lenses, and all accessories, Jobo etc. for ~1600

I want to shoot 8x10 color. I have a friend/fellow tog interested in bringing this 8x10 to the mountains together. My personal work would be mostly documentary/not in the middle of nowhere so I do not mind the monorail body.

I have tried C41 in a Paterson and could not keep the temperature proper. How has your experience with the Jobo been? I am not interested in E6 due to the film/filter cost. From what I've found a $70 chemical kit will get me 32 8x10 sheets. My local lab charges 7.50 a sheet. I read you use an Epson v700 to scan. Do you use a wet mount system? Have you paid for drum scanning? My current plan is to get a nice copy stand/light board and use a d810 w/ macro for scanning. I am not sure if I will need to get a wet mount system for this. Perhaps museum glass + scanning fluid will be enough?
>>
>>2976444
if you want another one I'll send you mine its in a box. I got it with legs I wanted.
>>
Love your photos Alex, you've been an inspiration for years!
Haven't read all questions yet, so maybe you've answered this one already:

How much and which PP do you do after scanning?
>>
>>2975339
>>2975328
>>2975325
>>2975257
bump. http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/60707/how-to-read-a-film-color-response-chart
pretty good explanation. short and sweet explanation of data sheet info. the mtf of different colors is interesting and might be pertinent to your medium format quest
>>
>>2975379
Overexpose by a stop and see what happens. That is some old ass film, and you might find you get nothing off of it. Basically, film gets less sensitive over time, and the color shifts, but the results are unpredictable.

Slower ISO film does deteriorate more slowly.
>>
>>2976898
>1 stop
is it still better to overexpose? in that case I feel like 2 stops is more desired
>>
File: SouthRimSunsetDrumNew.jpg (324KB, 1024x798px) Image search: [Google]
SouthRimSunsetDrumNew.jpg
324KB, 1024x798px
>>2976451
Thanks anon.

>>2976478
Thanks for the comments. Always like to hear others thoughts.

>>2976496
My Jobo has been wonderful and saved me so much money on developing. Depending on how much I have to develop, I can do either c41 or e6 for about 40 cents per sheet. It's so damn cheap. The Jobo keeps the temperatures just perfect.

I've just done dry scans with the Epson, no special holders or anything. With 8x10 you can certainly get away with this setup. Could I get better results with a drum scanner? Absolutely. I'm just not down for sending all of my film out and paying those sort of prices for scans. Maybe if I ever need a huge tax write off and can find the space I would purchase one but not likely as the learning curve to operate would be insane. One guy offered to drum scan a few for me for free, so I sent this one which had unsalvageable shadows on my scanner. The drum scan came back with a surprisingly usable image so there definitely is a huge difference.

>>2976503
I think I'm ok with the one partially broken one I have and the functional one. If I ever break the second one it's probably time for an upgrade.

>>2976509
Glad to hear it!! I have a ton of blog posts where I talk about my scanning and editing process, here's the link to several of them here: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/educational-blog-posts/

Equipment MakeNewcolorV2 3.0424957275 1.0424956083 3.5649912357 3.5649912357 0.3317155242
PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width19467
Image Height15456
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution120 dpcm
Vertical Resolution120 dpcm
Image Created2016:02:23 10:44:55
Image Width1024
Image Height798
>>
>>2975098
I'm going backpacking in Australia on boxing day and struggling to choose a bag to take all my gear in as well as clothes etc. What would you suggest?

Also would you take a carry on and luggage or just one bag?
>>
>>2977476
I ended up opting for a 4x5 because I pussied out on the 4x film costs. I really only shoot Portra which I know won't be able to take full advantage of the real estate in terms of resolution but I think that this will make it easier to scan.

Have you tried doing the whole DSLR scanning thing? I tried it on a role of RDPiii with a strobe to blast it with crazy amounts of light and was able to recover quite a bit in the shadows.
>>
>>2977483
cunt you're going to die in this heat
>>
Hello Alex, long time fan! My questions are geared more towards your backpacking experience. I also am interested in your backpacking gear, and would you have any tips on weight management with your backpacking gear to make room for your photo gear? On average, how much weight do you usually have on your back on multiple day trips? Do you have any tips on backpacking in general?
>>
>>2977543
>cunt

oz detected
>>
>>2976903
Sure. It's basically a guess--you said you kept it in your closet... but was that closet in Arizona or Connecticut?
>>
>>2977694
>texas
fuck
>>
>>2977696
Just shoot it man. You don't shoot 25 year old film if you want a pristine image. Overexpose it and see what happens.

Maybe you know already, but film retains details in the highlights better than the shadows... so err on the side of overexposing. I've shot film five stops over exposed and printed it down to something useable.
>>
>>2977698
Yeah I'm excited. I finally found a local place so I'll just shoot 1 roll and take notes to see what comes of it. Have some Leica glass (50mm, f2) and it is a black hole. a few indoor shots turned out phenomenal. It's the heavy weight too. Handheld at 1/25 is fine
>>
File: 2image195.jpg (832KB, 816x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image195.jpg
832KB, 816x1024px
>>2977483
That's hard to make a suggestion for, but if you have a small camera kit and need to carry a lot of clothes then try an actual backpacking bag with a padded insert like one of the ones F Stop makes. If you have a ton of gear then try a dedicated camera bag. I like my F-stop but am finding reasons why I don't like it for long backpacking trips and will possibly be looking at something more custom built in the next year.

If you don't have anywhere to store things while you're there then you should probably try to get everything into your carry on.

>>2977513
I haven't tried DLSR scanning yet. Seems like I would spend a hell of a lot of time stitching shots to get a 4x5 sheet scanned. Also I don't have a DSLR.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11411
Image Height9258
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:04 22:18:46
Image Width816
Image Height1024
>>
File: image175.jpg (614KB, 1024x827px) Image search: [Google]
image175.jpg
614KB, 1024x827px
>>2977608
Good question. A few years ago I wrote a blog post about my backpacking setup here: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2013/08/27/backpacking-with-a-4x5-camera

It's a bit outdated and I've made some changes since then but I'm still using that same bag. I usually try to decide if there's a lens or two I can live without given the terrain and landscape, I also usually take a few film holders and plan on reloading. The changing bag makes a nice pillow anyway. In the last few years I've really decided that I don't like tents, however this summer every time I went backpacking had a good chance of rain. Still, I don't bring the entire tent, just the rainfly and the poles to set it up. It's about half the weight and it's a lot roomier. Of course, it doesn't offer any protection from bugs without the mesh portion but I've found that mosquitoes seem to fly in and get confused and not bite me inside the rainfly. If it's a one-nighter or a trip where there's really no chance of rain I just bring a tarp and lie on that. A tarp can also be converted into an emergency rain shelter with the help of a hiking pole and a couple stakes.

I carry a dedicated camera bag and strap backpacking gear on the outside, bringing a large rain cover for everything just in case. I've measured my pack at as much as 65lbs and that was a bit miserable. It was also a 5 day trip so food and whatnot was heavy. Most the places I go have water sources so I would prefer to not carry much water and use a filter more often, and my stove and cookware are tiny. I haven't weighed my bag when it's got just the mamiya and backpacking gear in it but I would guess maybe 40 pounds. I'd still like to get it down a bit with some lighter stuff or a bag that feels better with that weight. My legs and stuff do just fine but the weight on the shoulders is rough after a while. Now I always make sure to toss some lenses and think of only the essentials for that area.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2013:07:22 10:00:56
Image Width1024
Image Height827
>>
>>2975685
Wow, these are very nice! I usually lurk these threads, but as I'm not really that into landscape I refrain from commenting and just look at the pretty pictures. This stuff I dig and feel like I "understand".

It's kind of interesting how photos of yours I also liked the most (like >>2975776 and >>2976364) don't sell too well. I make some money in a different creative field, and it's the same thing there. "Photos for photographers", "music for musicians" I guess is how it goes.

Kind of a boring gear question, but have you used the Pentax 6x7? How do you feel about it?
>>
>>2977881
Not Alex but the Pentax 6x7 is okay if you need it. It can be great for studio w/ strobes if you use a LS lens since massive amounts of mirror shock won't affect the image as much as in natural light. Outside of that you almost always have to use the mirror up mode. I preferred the RZ67 since any situation where I was using the Pentax the Mamiya wouldn't have been any less convenient
>>
>>2978013

memiya is for nerds, pentax is for cool guys

Image Created2009:11:26 22:49:58
>>
>>2977858
Thanks for the reply! I'm just getting into backpacking and have only been on a handful of trips, none with a camera yet. I got lucky and snagged an Arcteryx Altra 70 litre for 100 bucks, and will probably get an insert for my camera. I just have a Nikon F100 right now. 65 lbs does sound miserable haha. Have you experienced any predators out in backcountry? And a random question, have you ever experimented with wet plates?
>>
File: 2image398.jpg (400KB, 1024x810px) Image search: [Google]
2image398.jpg
400KB, 1024x810px
>>2977881
Yep, there's definitely a huge case of "photos for photographers" that happens rather often. Internet popularity and print sales rarely coincide. I haven't used a Pentax 6x7 and don't know much about them. I'm sure they are pretty big.

>>2978196
Surprisingly I've had no bad run-ins with predators out there even though I'm often in bear country. It's bound to happen sometime so I'm always prepared for an encounter.

I haven't messed with wet plate, but I have been working on a process using a liquid emulsion to make prints onto brushed stainless steel under the enlarger. It's finally coming together.

Looks like I found some b&w to develop.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11405
Image Height9065
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:06 13:10:10
Image Width1024
Image Height810
>>
>>2978644
Your black and white stuff is beautiful.
>>
File: 2image396.jpg (459KB, 813x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image396.jpg
459KB, 813x1024px
>>2978677
Thank you, it's all too rare that I shoot it to be honest.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11405
Image Height9065
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:06 12:52:35
Image Width813
Image Height1024
>>
The first B&W is astounding.

The second has an enchanting a bunch of birches (or whatever) in the background, but then puts too much foreground on top. Said foreground's branches etc. interrupting the background. Dunno if it'd have been better with a smaller foreground subject, or none at all.
>>
>>2978694
them r aspens, friendo
>>
File: 2image397.jpg (400KB, 813x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image397.jpg
400KB, 813x1024px
>>2978694
I see what you're saying. I'll probably try a contact print of it and see how I feel about a real image.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11405
Image Height9065
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:06 16:30:54
Image Width813
Image Height1024
>>
>>2978837
What focal length is this?

What focal lengths into have for 4x5 and roughly how often do you use each?
>>
>>2978837
dahm daniel back with the steez
>>
>>2978837
What kind of movements/aperture did you use on this? I have a 90mm with 236mm of IC at f/22 and am trying to learn how to use it most effectively for near to far when the scale is so different like this
>>
File: 2image404.jpg (238KB, 816x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image404.jpg
238KB, 816x1024px
>>2978859
This was with my widest lens, the 75mm. I have a 75, 90, 135, and 210. The 90 is my absolute most used, followed by the 135 and 75 about equally and the 210 is my least used.

>>2978880
I used a pretty good amount of tilt to get the front bush and shadow in focus, quite a bit if I remember right. The tripod was low to the ground and the bush pretty close. I think I used f32 to make sure it was all in focus. When something isn't quite that close you can certainly get away with f22 on wider lenses.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11405
Image Height9065
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:06 13:12:34
Image Width816
Image Height1024
>>
>>2978644
Apart from that old as hell reflection shot, I've never been a huge fan of your B&W work, but that is fucking stunning. The little bit of light that's caught the rocks in the background on the far left of the frame plays beautifully with the darker shades in the foreground.

That's a fucking killer shot.
>>
oh god I don't want film to die
>>
>>2979318

then shoot fucking film you cuck faggot,

shot slides, develop as slides (not cum gargling x-pro). help the local labs to stay alive.

shill slide film to everyone. just today i converted a faggot to velvia because i was checking my 6x7 slides at the labs light table and fucker got in love with it.
>>
>>2979321
i fucking do, i don't remember the last time I used my digital camera. the guy at the local lab gives me discounts because of how often i buy stuff there
>>
>>2979321
>i converted a faggot to velvia because i was checking my 6x7 slides at the labs light table and fucker got in love with it
I can see it now...
>hey anon, why is everything in those photos purple, it looks fabulous!
Faggots are born converted to Velvia m8.
>>
>>2979326
>i don't remember the last time I used my digital camera.

you should use your digi too. as backup, just sayin.
>>
>>2979332
my memeya never lets me down
>>
>>2979330

now THATS an anachronistic joke. its 2016 ffs. what backwards country are you, pal? mexico? peru?
>>
I notice from your site that you're shooting with a toyo field camera. You like it? Do you find it useful for portraiture?

I've been watching a lot of ebay auctions and even researched building a camera, but it seems like a lot of the budget options (like the Tachiharas) have become hard to find, and I'm trying to assemble a kit for less than 800 or so (without going for a beat up graflex).
>>
File: 2image305.jpg (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2image305.jpg
1MB, 1024x1024px
>>2979240
Thanks anon, I'm glad to hear that.

>>2979364
Yes I am, it's been a very solid camera. However, I have never used it for portraits at all. I would imagine it would do just fine as it has a decent range of movements that are fairly quick to adjust. Not that I've used a ton of 4x5's so I don't have much to compare with.

They can be found pretty cheap, the camera itself was less than your budget from Keh. Of course you need lenses and the like so that will quickly put you over budget.

Back to color, here's some Portra.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5572
Image Height5677
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:04 21:50:19
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
>>2979235
oh shit, this is now my all time favourite photo of yours
>>
I used to think you needed to shoot medium/large format to get a nice crisp landscape images, but then I saw an image taken by a Q7 with it's tiny sensor and one of its silly toy lenses that was enjoyably crisp.

So I ask you, what goes into making nice, crisp landscape images?
>>
>>2979400
Hold the camera still, be in focus, learn how to sharpen, stop shitting up good threads with basic bitch questions, kill yourself.
>>
>>2979405
You sound like the basic bitch here. You 'advice' is so... superficial.
>>
>>2979400
Its all about technical understanding/perfecting.

For me, tripods help reduce any sort of shake to increase sharpness.

Understand the best aperture setting for your lens to have optimum sharpness, typically f-5.6 to f-11

Use 100 ISO to reduce any noise that might blur image

Use sharpening in post to gain any additional sharpness that you can get.

That should be enough to get a sharp image from any camera. The only addtional things that can be changed from there are sharper lenses, removed optical low pass filter, and higher resolution (only when paired with a sharper lens)
>>
>>2979434
I do all these things, but there seems to be something more to landscape than this. I've been reading more on landscape focusing since I've made that post, and it seems people follow a bottom-third rule that I hadn't considered before. And of course, the battle between diffraction and getting the most DoF you can get away with, seems to be a delicate balance. I think I understand why a small sensor can get nice pictures, big DoF without going for tiny apertures. In this sense, bigger sensor/film seems kinda counterproductive.

I've also been looking into polarizers for haze control, though I'm intrigued by Alex mentioning he doesn't use them much anymore.
>>
>>2979451
Yeah, crop sensors will be better for more depth of field compared to full frame, but there are obviously ways to work with full frames.

In terms of what helps alex or landscape photographers in general is good light, and good processing. It's good that you doing research and reading about it, you're going in the right direction.

And yes, composition is a big part of landscape photography. You don't necissarily have to stick with the rule of thirds, but it is a good spot to start at. What's most important is figuring out what the strength of your image will be. Is it the sky? Ground? Object? Find a way to highlight that object within your scene. It could be with leading lines, framing it with other objects, a slight radial filter in post never hurts either to give a natural draw to whatever your subject is.

The composition is the hardest part, but it helps to go on sites like flickr etc. and look at photos that you like and pay attention to the technical and compositional aspects of the photos.
>>
>>2979451
Oh, and polarizers are obviously a personal taste. I personally like them for trees, plants, and the sky in some cases. It never hurts to have one in your bag, because you might like it
>>
>>2978644
>>2979235
These are gorgeous B&W's. But as I've learned from this thread, the fact that I'm a /p/ regular and the fact that I love them means that they won't sell worth shit.
>>
>>2979321
>not cum gargling x-pro
Hey, leave isi out of this.
>>
File: WoodFrameMetalPrint.jpg (286KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
WoodFrameMetalPrint.jpg
286KB, 1024x576px
>>2979400
It's not hard to get an image to appear crisp on a screen, there are even cell photo photos that look fabulous when viewed on a small screen. I don't do a whole lot of crazy sharpening for large prints because I have the large formats, but even smaller formats can print well if sharpened with skill. Of course, eventually everything runs out of detail once you scale it up enough and no amount of sharpening will save the day. As others suggested, using a tripod, cable release and all the necessary technique to make sure there is no camera movement is a huge part of it. Selecting an aperture that is appropriate for the format to prevent diffusion is also important.

Lens movements are also a huge help, you can get the foreground and background in relatively good focus with the lens wide open, and then stop down to f22 or so to get the middle ground in focus. On a big format like 4x5, f22 doesn't really cause any diffraction and does pretty well.

>>2979631
Thank you. My black and white work sell a bit differently as I only sell handmade prints. My current darkroom limits size of those up to 16x20 and even those are a pain. I typically only sell contact 4x5's at a real bargain price as an "insurance policy" at my shows to at least make some money. Sometimes someone buys an 8x10" print but I rarely even seem to sell 11x14's and no one asks about big stuff with black and white. In my experience, people seem to be looking for groupings of two or three small images with black and white but that might just be me.

I've been working on a prototype of a darkroom print done directly onto brushed stainless steel using a liquid emulsion. I finally got it to work and have just ordered more metal so I have some winter projects to do. Not sure how I want to present them yet but this is one idea, they are really complicated to make so it will likely be a higher end price point. Currently I'm planning on making them as contact prints and 11x14ish sizes.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Color Filter Array Pattern842
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)58 mm
Image Created2016:11:22 09:44:46
Exposure Time0.6 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Subject Distance1.39 m
Light SourceTungsten
Focal Length29.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height576
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
>>
>>2975976

Can confirm this is correct. Sometimes he will use his hand as well in front of the lens. When he came to FL I watched him do it in the swamp with his 6x17.

Breddy cool dude, if you ever get back around my way hit me up I can find my way home usually.
>>
>>2979451
I rarely use my polarizer, but I'm glad I have it for when I do use it. Use it mostly to remove glare from wet foliage and other surfaces, like wet logs and rocks.
>>
>>2979859
you do know alex regrets meeting you in private conversation right
>>
>>2979904
Why would you ever regret meeting someone? Did Alex get raped or something?
>>
>>2979926
>Why would you ever regret meeting someone?
the only people who don't understand this are people everyone regrets meeting
>>
>>2979926
If that person was Sugar, is why.
Like when a person is creepy and gross, but weirdly infatuated with you, and misinterprets any human interaction that isn't openly hostile as their affection being reciprocated.
Like when old pederasts think the girl at the shops is hitting on them, because she smiled and made eye contact whilst ringing up their items.
Or like when that person you're casually aware of through an algerian water-boarding appreciation forum suggests you hang out one time when you're in town, so you say to yourself, "why not?", and you immediately realise why not when you meet them, and bail hard, but they now think you're bff's and make cringey public appeals for your attention whenever you raise your head.
>>
>>2979904
I swear to God, reading comments like this I really wonder if /p/ is populated by 12 year old girls.

I mean, for fuck's sake. Read over what you're tying. If you hate Sugar, that's fine, but give it a little more effort than just resorting to the silliest, most childish shit imaginable.
>>
>>2980076

i can see people regretting meeting sugar, whats so incredible about it?
>>
>>2980076
>Read over what you're tying.
*typing
'ad a good laugh at ur ironic undertones, lad
>>
>>2980077
Regretting meeting Sugar? Sure. That's reasonable. Maybe he's a dick. I could see that.

But trying to hurt his feewings by telling him that the popular kids don't like him? It's fucking tween-tier drama.
>>
>>2980082
calm down sugar
>>
>>2980082

you see him craving for attention all the time here. of course something like that can hurt him. he has the mind of a schooler, he def wants to be real best friends with the cool kids.
>>
File: IMG_4032.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4032.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>2978644
Thanks for the response, my biggest fear is running into predators if I were to be by myself, but thankfully I have a few buddies who are willing to backpack with me, I haven't gone on a trip by myself just yet. I recently watched a gear bag video by Chris Burkard, a local photographer with a big name, it was very informative!

I bought a kit from Bostock and Sullivan, I think that's their name, and developed a few plates on location, there was an empty trailer I converted into a darkroom for the day, and got a few nice shots, though it was the only time I messed around with ambrotypes, let alon large format! I used a Crown Graphic, it was a fun experience, here's a plate from that shoot.

DESU, I haven't went out and shot in a long time since I've been in college, and I do miss it a lot. Since I'be been doing more backpacking it's making me want to open up that can of worms again, but all I have for now is a F100. But man, looking at all your photos makes me want to get back at it!

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 4
Camera Software6.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2014:04:30 09:47:16
Exposure Time1/219 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness6.8 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length3.85 mm
Image Width2592
Image Height1936
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2979904
>>2979926
>>2979932
>>2979939
>>2980076
>>2980077
>>2980078
>>2980082
>>2980092
>>2980095
>alex starts and maintains great thread
>sugar says nice thing about alex
>sugar haters take the opportunity to trash sugar and derail thread

Fuck all of you. If you want to take a shit on Sugar, do it in his thread.
>>
File: sky.jpg (114KB, 1000x206px) Image search: [Google]
sky.jpg
114KB, 1000x206px
hey alex, i wanted to ask you about this, you might have some insights on it. ive been getting uneven skies on lab developed c41 rolls, have you had this problem in the past? how to avoid it?

Horizontal Resolution3199 dpi
Vertical Resolution3199 dpi
Image Created2016:12:10 18:18:26
Image Width1000
Image Height206
>>
>>2979904
okay isi
>>
any locations you like to shoot in for a strayan that doesn't dare drive on the other side of the road so will have to take public transport/coaches to?
>>
>>2981579
Looks like it was developed in a tank and the tanks aren't rolling properly/continuously. Or it could've been loaded unevenly into the machine.
>>
File: 2image181.jpg (387KB, 1024x812px) Image search: [Google]
2image181.jpg
387KB, 1024x812px
>>2981579
I fought with this issue for a year and eventually found out that the problem was lab developing, but there's a few things to think about first as you could try another lab. Is this medium format film or 35mm? If it's just 35mm then your lab is doing a very substandard job and you should switch, for larger formats I've found there can be a problem with low contrast images on c41 no matter which lab you use. So empty skies, salt flats, things with hardly any contrast don't get developed evenly enough and the subtleties get ruined.

The problem came down to the methods that labs use for developing. My understanding is that most of them use large dip-and-dunk machines which can hold about 50 sheets of film or dozens of rolls at once. The film just sits in one spot in the machine and agitation is done with nitrogen bubbles. This probably worked just fine decades ago but now the labs are not changing out the gallons of chemicals as often because they don't have the flow of film coming in the door like they used to. The only way I could correct this issue was with home-developing or by using slides for low contrast scenes and negatives for those images where the skies are full of clouds and lots of contrast. Don't worry, home developing c41 is easy and the $20 powder c41 kit works just fine. As a note, I still had some minor developing uneven-ness with plastic reels and 120 film, steel reels seems to work better for me. Then I acquired a jobo processor and that's been the best.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11411
Image Height9258
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:08 12:34:55
Image Width1024
Image Height812
>>
File: 2image346.jpg (821KB, 1024x812px) Image search: [Google]
2image346.jpg
821KB, 1024x812px
>>2981788
What side of the country you planning on visiting? There's countless national parks on the western-half and most can be accessed through the summer months on coach bus tours so you don't have to drive. We've got the desert parks in Utah/Arizona, mountain landscapes like Glacier NP in Montana, Yosemite in Cali, Rocky Mountain NP in Colorado, and so many more. It all depends on what you want to see. The buses will limit you to National Parks as most of our forest land is best visited by a combination of personal vehicles and hiking. Not much public transport in our wide open spaces aside from the big parks.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11450
Image Height9220
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:08 10:00:56
Image Width1024
Image Height812
>>
>>2981845

thanks for the good answer. fuck that lab, would you believe they are the most expensive one and supposedly best one in my city? ive seen a guy that does home labs and charges quite a fucking bit (like $6 per 120 roll) but his skies are damn clean, and as hes a hipster premium, he works mostly low contrast model stuff and looks always impeccable.

will start home developing i guess, do you have any tutorial for that? im a guy that cant even b&w develop, have that in mind.
>>
>>2981847
This has a weird, silvery, 500px Certified Top Voteâ„¢ quality to it. I know it's not tonemapped, but it has that look to it.
>>
File: 1image917.jpg (357KB, 1024x808px) Image search: [Google]
1image917.jpg
357KB, 1024x808px
>>2981851
Glad to help. To be honest, that guy charging $6 a roll isn't too bad on pricing if he does a good job. Many labs charge $7 or more. If he does a more home-based type developing it will probably be much better. Those dip-and-dunk machines just aren't quite made for the low-contrast kind of stuff especially no that labs have much less film to develop. When I was having trouble with it I talked to several large format photographers from around the world (back when Flickr was an outstanding community) and the general consensus was to home develop.

I never did make a tutorial on it which is a shame because it's pretty damn easy. Now I wouldn't be as likely to make a tutorial on a home inversion method because I have that Jobo that does all the hard work for me.

Just a few tips. It's not that hard to keep the temp right. I always pre-soaked the film in water from the tap that was exactly 39°C, this is actually pretty easy to do with a good thermometer and your faucet. It's also quite easy to microwave the chemicals to those temps. I usually had the temps about 1 degree too high because it cooled down slightly during developing, and I did the entire process in a rubbermaid tub of 41°C water to keep things warm. It's really not too bad, but c41 chemicals don't last really long. If you won't be developing 8-12 rolls in 6 weeks then it's not the most economical route.

>>2981862
Canyon glow can have incredibly unusual light characteristics.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11488
Image Height9068
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:07:07 11:23:06
Image Width1024
Image Height808
>>
>>2981877
>8-12 rolls in 6 weeks

thats for the $20 of the c41 powder? i thnk its a fair price for such an amount of rolls, or even less.

where do you advise to get the c41 powder kit?
>>
File: image782.jpg (661KB, 810x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image782.jpg
661KB, 810x1024px
>>2981878
Well yes, even if you only did four rolls it's a better deal than lab processing. Max cost efficiency is in that 8-12 rolls. They say you can do 32 sheets or 8 rolls and that it lasts 6 weeks. I don't like to go past that 6 weeks but I have no problem doing nearly twice as much film if it's in a short period of time, as in the first few days of mixing up the chemicals.

B&H stopped shipping it, but Freestyle photo will. It looks like the 1 liter kit is currently $21.99

Just posting old photos for the sake of posting photos now, here's some Ektar.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2016:04:03 14:32:07
Image Width810
Image Height1024
>>
>>2981877
these tones and colours make me want to drop digital and shoot film so bad, beautiful shot mate
>>
>>2981882
>>2981877
which focal lengths did you use here? and did you tilt/shift in either?
>>
File: 2image335.jpg (683KB, 1024x817px) Image search: [Google]
2image335.jpg
683KB, 1024x817px
>>2981883
Thanks anon.

>>2981930
The windmill shot was on a 90mm, the mountain on 75mm. I would have tilted with both to ensure focus from near to far, and my general rule with rise is that I have the back of the camera close to vertical and use rise to look up or down for most shots.

This scene gave me feels as I drove through rural Indiana. Portra 160

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11450
Image Height9144
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:12 10:52:01
Image Width1024
Image Height817
>>
>>2981933
90mm on what size film? i wanna work out the 35mm equivalent. its a shame I cant tilt/shift/rise on slr :( I usually just use something to put the tripod on to change perspective
>>
File: 1image408.jpg (613KB, 1024x801px) Image search: [Google]
1image408.jpg
613KB, 1024x801px
>>2981936
4x5 film, so the 90mm is about like 28mm and the 75 about like 21mm. 90mm is by far my favorite focal length for most my images.

Another random example with that lens.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11176
Image Height8836
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:07:14 09:58:57
Image Width1024
Image Height801
>>
>>2981938
right, thanks
>>
>>2979400
Remember that you were probably looking at a jpeg rendered at web resolution.

a well done 4x5 negative can be enlarged to fill a wall sized print and look sharper and richer than a high end UHD TV set.
>>
How to composition

>>
>>2981938
What aperture for a shot like this?
>>
File: 1image473.jpg (470KB, 824x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1image473.jpg
470KB, 824x1024px
>>2983688
As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's all about finding scenes that bring your viewer into the images, not across it and out of it. Break your composition down into lines and layers, think about how objects interact (streams or trees in the foreground) and think about how the various tones also create shapes (like distant layers of mountains that are lighter than closer ones).

To me, the goal of composition is to engage with the viewer, you have to keep them in your image.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11252
Image Height9026
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:09:14 22:01:11
Image Width824
Image Height1024
>>
File: 2image208crop.jpg (629KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
2image208crop.jpg
629KB, 1200x400px
>>2985714
I used f22 for that one along with some front tilt. Had I been closer to the flowers I would have needed to use f32.

Here's a new one on Provia

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width16574
Image Height5610
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:15 17:43:10
Image Width1200
Image Height400
>>
File: 148183119029222.jpg (336KB, 1134x756px) Image search: [Google]
148183119029222.jpg
336KB, 1134x756px
>>2985989
>the goal of composition is to engage with the viewer, you have to keep them in your image.

Yes, I agree. However, in many of you compositions, my eye will fall off out of the picture to the sides and corners. There's nothing there that "push" my eyes back into the picture.

The corners and edges are most important to not wander off the image.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width1000
Image Height677
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2016:12:19 16:35:20
Image Width1134
Image Height756
>>
>>2986003
>>2985989
I'll post some more examples. I realized the edges and corners were important from watching wide cinematic movies.
>>
File: Ben-Hur.1959.1080p.jpg (498KB, 1920x696px) Image search: [Google]
Ben-Hur.1959.1080p.jpg
498KB, 1920x696px
>>2986004
>>
>>2986006
The shrub to the right, although not very visible, helps to keep you in the picture.
>>
>>2986007
That shrub isn't just "not very visible", it's almost completely invisible.

You've made an interesting argument but I don't feel like anything is keeping me "in the picture" in those examples except for the subject, which is properly isolated using light and contrast, especially in >>2986006
>>
>>2986004
>>2986006
These sorts of still feel like a lost art in the context of the majority of mainstream filmmaking today. Most films don't seem to rely as much on visual aesthetics to hook the viewers anymore. If anything they mostly sound and visual iconography to keep viewers interested.
>>
>>2986004
man I wish I saw this in theatres in 70mm, god bless tarantino
>>
>>2986011
>it's almost completely invisible.

Well
>shitty video compression
>JPG screenshot

No wonder it's almost gone.

Also, It's there to push you back in. When your eyes wander to the edges, there is something there to capture your attention. No something important, that is the subjects job, but just something to catch your eye.
>>
>>2986013
>If anything they mostly sound and visual iconography to keep viewers interested.

And changing frames every 0.3 seconds
>>
>>2985989
>>2981882
>portrait
dumb
>>
>starts wide
thats where your
>cuts to a close up of the microphone and mouth
right, kiddo
>cuts to behind with audience and press lighting glaring towards
>applause, cheers, flash photography
>>
>>2986019
>you
dumb
>>
>>2986027
(((you)))
really motivates my posters
>>
File: IMG_0821.jpg (301KB, 1242x806px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0821.jpg
301KB, 1242x806px
Hi I'm not really sure who you are compared to everyone else here but I'd like to know how life has been for you. Was it hard to get to where you are? Are you freelance or work for a company? Who funds your trips (if any)? Do you make enough money from being a landscape photographer to live a good life or do you find yourself struggling to pay bills?

Also if you wouldn't mind critiquing some of my work that would be amazing if not it's fine. If you decide to critique my Instagram is @luu.es

Pic related I would say is one if my favourite shits I've taken.

CommentScreenshot
Image Width1242
Image Height806
>>
File: f65mmf22vel50.jpg (889KB, 1980x1324px) Image search: [Google]
f65mmf22vel50.jpg
889KB, 1980x1324px
>>2975076

Have you ever tried a Fuji GSW690, Alex? I remember you being disappointed in the general performance of the GW690's lens from a discussion on photo.net. You also mentioned in that same thread that the GSW690's lens was sharper but you had never tried it. That must have been like 10 years ago.

Anyways, I'm looking for a portable 6x9/7 camera but the Mamiyas are so ridiculously expensive.

Here's a Velvia 50 shot from a GSW690 that I found online which looks pretty swell. Not much else to be found, though.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (474KB, 1000x657px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
474KB, 1000x657px
>>2986073
I used to have a Mamiya 7 II, but now use a Fuii GW and GSW 690 III instead. I like them a lot more.

Horizontal Resolution300 dpcm
Vertical Resolution300 dpcm
>>
>>2986073
Not alex, but I had the GSW690 iii for some time. Shutter sound is terrible, and the hood makes using filters a bit of a PITA (as if using them on a RF already weren't), but otherwise it's a nice camera. Compact (for what it is) lightwight, and definitively delivers in the resolution department.

I sold mine only because I was not happy with a fixed focal length/lack of interchangable lenses (and back).

Now I lug a Mamiya Press and long for the lightweightness of the fuji. Plus, I find the IQ ofthe fuji to be better than the common press lenses(tho the 100mm f2.8 and 50mm should be on par).

Ideally I'd want a Mamiya 7, but I'm too much of a poorfag to afford it and the whole set of lenses that'd satisfy me :/
>>
File: 1image357crop.jpg (172KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
1image357crop.jpg
172KB, 1200x400px
>>2986003
>>2986004
>>2986006
>>2986007
Agreed, it's definitely important to have things to "push" your eyes back into the image. I'm a fan of using leading lines to pull your eye in and watching the corners so that they aren't awkward. Panoramics are very different to compose than other images by a long shot. I think the magic of motion in cinema does different things to keep you in the frame. For example, the hateful 8 image you posted would be awkward without the context of the movie and motion. I would would never place an outhouse all the way in the bottom right corner of a landscape image of Wilson Peak, but it does frame the movement of the scene and works well there.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2015:05:09 14:32:10
Image Width1200
Image Height400
>>
File: 2image249crop.jpg (347KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
2image249crop.jpg
347KB, 1200x400px
>>2986051
Was it hard? Sure I would say it takes dedication and business know-how and several years to build up sales. I think the lifestyle I have now is not necessarily harder or easier than the full time job I had before though. However, it is far more enjoyable.

I work for myself, my money all comes through customers that I find and mostly through print sales. In a way that means my customers fund my trips. As far as making enough money that's a totally different subject. I don't need much money at all to live because I've planned things out, buy things with cash that I can actually afford, and don't have the classic American debt problems. I live very comfortably and don't have to worry about money, but I typically didn't have to when I had lower income jobs either. Money is far more about habits than the actual income dollar amount. It's not a lot of money, but it is the good life.

And sorry but I don't typically do portfolio critiques, I'm sure /p/ would be happy to tear you a new one in a delightfully charming way.

>>2986073
I've never used one at all, but I'm sure they are fantastic. I've never been on any discussions on photo.net so it must have been someone else. That's a plenty large sized negative to get some great detail out of it and I can't imagine the lenses suck at all. Without doing research, I know there are several versions of each and I thought people have mentioned the lenses got better as they were newer (probably multicoated for flare, etc) but I can't imagine there's too many soft lenses. Slow, yes, but probably not too soft. If you do buy one I'm sure you could resell it for what you bought it for. I bet you'll end up loving it. MF rangefinders are a ton of fun as a travel camera.

Here's some Ektar.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5534
Image Height16421
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:18 16:46:34
Image Width1200
Image Height400
>>
>>2986154
Ahhhh shit. I love this scene and you captured it beautifully. Well done.
>>
not related to your photography at all...but do you have any favorite posters on /p/?
>>
>>2986370
Sugar, Isi and Muhmegapickels.
>>
>>2986370
desu all tripfags, not disappointed by anyone
>>
What is your advice to get a very sharp landscape picture?
>>
>>2986511
See >>2979434
>>
File: image342.jpg (404KB, 1024x816px) Image search: [Google]
image342.jpg
404KB, 1024x816px
>>2986370
My favorite posters on /p/ are ones that post photos and don't start drama.

>>2986511
As others said in this thread, the crucial things are a sturdy tripod and not touching the camera to press the shutter. Use the self timer or a cable. Depending on your format, don't use an aperture too small (f16 on full frame is a bad idea for example, but ok with medium format). Also, beyond that is sharpening as you resize for web use.

Random photo on Ektar

>>2975346
>>2975345
Japanbro, if you're still around I'm definitely interested in getting some Velvia 50. A friend would probably also be interested in 8x10 and we could buy together to save on shipping. We'd be happy to give you a bit per box too if you want to make a little money from us. Shoot me an email, you can find me email on my website.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width11086
Image Height8846
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:03:15 22:28:03
Image Width1024
Image Height816
>>
I'm Happy you started that thread, I appreciate your work.
I love your colours most.
How do you archieve them?
How much post production is present, how much is left from the film?
Then, where is preferred to expose?(given a decent Dynamic range) beside the composition, how can I archieve a well exposed and coloured Sky?
I'm asking because I'm in an year or so in landscape photography, and these are the things that struggle me most!
>>
As >>2975076
How do you measure light? Do you trust the light meter inside your mamiya6 or do you use an external light meter?

Thanks for this thread!
>>
>>2975150
Have you considered making a jump to Digital?

I myself started off in digital, but I got a film camera and plan on teaching myself how to develop and experiment on film. But in terms of making a living off my passion which is photography, it simply isn't logical nowadays(imo) to focus on film.

Sure it's 'artsy' and requires more skill than digital. But at the same time you are being more environmentally friendly when you reduce your use of resources such as all the plastic and paper used to ship those precious little film cartridges.

Just curious why you haven't jumped to digital. Maybe you have and I simply haven't read it yet.

Great work btw. I bookmarked your webpage so I can admire all your beautiful work.

I live in New Mexico, I would love to assist you anytime you make it to the southwest. I am a digital newb.
>>
File: 1image107.jpg (673KB, 1024x808px) Image search: [Google]
1image107.jpg
673KB, 1024x808px
>>2986705
Thanks. I start with choosing a film that fits the scene correctly. The film can make a big difference in the colors you get, particularly in the skies as each emulsion does it a bit differently. I most certainly edit the scans to get things closer to how I saw them at the time, fixing both contrast and unwanted color casts in the film. You have to edit them just as you would with anything, I just think the film gives me a great starting point to the desired colors.

If you're having trouble getting a well exposed sky, then there's a good chance you may need to be using GND filters to control the exposure up there. You can also blend exposures together if that is your preferred method and you don't want to buy filters. As far as colors, make sure to shoot when the time is good. Great colors certainly don't happen every day, study sunsets and sunrises and pay attention to different qualities of light and how they interact with the sky and ground. Good luck!

>>2986930
I meter using a small digital camera so I can have a histogram and quick feedback. Here's a full write-up on my process: http://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2016/3/28/metering-and-exposing-color-film

When I'm using Portra handheld I just go by the meter in the Mamiya, but if I'm using slides I would prefer to check with another camera if I have time. I think my meter was off by 2/3rds stop in mine, but I just got it back from a CLA and haven't tested the meter yet. The guy says he adjusts them during tune-ups. Unfortunately the shutter cable socket broke again as soon as I went to use it so I'm sending it back to him and he can replace the top plate.

Random Velvia shot

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2014:11:23 19:15:32
Image Width1024
Image Height808
>>
File: image535.jpg (348KB, 799x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image535.jpg
348KB, 799x1024px
>>2987021
Nope. I just don't have any interest in it. I prefer the process with film and see no reason for the speed of digital with landscapes. I also prefer the look of larger formats beyond just the resolution and that's not something that is feasible with digital. I also just don't like the digital cameras, not that I'm even an old timer or anything but there's too much shit to break on em.

The environmentally friendly argument is a whole different topic. It's not environmentally friendly to exist as a Western human, or to upgrade digital cameras annually, or to drive to locations to shoot, or to use film, or toilet paper. I try not to think about that too much while making format choices as that's a dangerous rabbit hole to go down.

New Mexico has some awesome stuff. I love me some White Sands and Lotaburger.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2014:03:06 20:21:35
Image Width799
Image Height1024
>>
>>2975076
Hey Alex, what lenses and camera do you use, exactly? I'm currently in the market for a 4x5 camera and lenses, holders etc. but have no idea what's good and not. So, some input would be awesome.
>>
>>2986154
Thanks for the info and it's fine figured it'd be a long shot to have you critique but another question, at what age would you say you started your professional career?
>>
>>2987032
Thanks you Alex, appreciate everything!
>>
File: 1image356.jpg (427KB, 1024x810px) Image search: [Google]
1image356.jpg
427KB, 1024x810px
>>2987051
I use a Toyo 45A II field camera, there's plenty of other great cameras. I chose this one because of its price range on the used market and its durability. My lenses are a total hodgepodge. A schnieder 75mm, Caltar N 90mm and 210mm, and a Fuji 135mm. Really there area a lot of great lenses out there. Try to look for ones that aren't all that old and are multicoated. Keh will tell you if they are by saying MC on the end. I also prefer the reliability of newer Copal shutters and not so much Compurs. Hope that helps.

>>2987493
I went part time at my job when I was 26 to start a photography business. It was definitely very helpful to have some sort of steady income while getting started. My first step was to learn to live off the income of part-time employment. Once you cut your bills down you have a lot more power to do what you want. I quit that job completely when I was 30. I've now been on my own for a full year and don't see a reason that I'll have to go work for someone else anytime soon.

Here's some Provia

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2015:05:19 08:56:51
Image Width1024
Image Height810
>>
>>2985989
Do you feel composition is easier or more difficult with different ratios? Since you're also using the Mamiya 6 for squares.

I find 6x6 super hard to compose with, I can only manage quite symmetrical center compositions.
>>
File: 2image146.jpg (497KB, 1024x1016px) Image search: [Google]
2image146.jpg
497KB, 1024x1016px
>>2987783
I've actually really been enjoying shooting with square. It's completely different from 4x5 and there's some scenes that work in one but not the other. For the last few years I've actually tried to make compositions with the 4x5 that are less tight and can be done as square, or even switched to a different orientation. It's not something I always look for, but having the adaptability of a photo comes in handy when selling prints down the road. I think this made the launch into squares a bit easier.

You're right though, it has to be balanced whether you choose to center it or find another way.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5725
Image Height5753
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:09:28 09:51:41
Image Width1024
Image Height1016
>>
File: 1image846.jpg (270KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1image846.jpg
270KB, 1024x1024px
>>2987783
>>2987797
And here's one that I think balanced well without centering the subject. The two anchor points work well.

6x6 can also be about just doing shapes and working with balanced geometry. I think it's best for visually simple photos.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width5457
Image Height5524
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:06:27 09:14:59
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
>>
>>2987797
>>2987800
These are both very good. Thanks for your opinions, I'll keep them in mind and keep practicing.
>>
>>2987780
So it's safe to assume you don't buy into any of that bullshit about the colour you get from schneiders or the clinical rendering of the fujinons etc etc?
When you're shooting stopped down and editing your scans, those perceived differences evaporate anyway?
I feel like the biggest things you'd actually notice would be contrast and flare resistance?
Also, I take a lot of photos like your leaf and stone almost-macros, were they just with a standard lense and bellows? I'm a little bit concerned about getting out into the field with one of these beast cameras and running into the MFD all the time.
>>
File: scan122.jpg (509KB, 1000x805px) Image search: [Google]
scan122.jpg
509KB, 1000x805px
>>2987963
Yeah I don't really buy into of that forum bullshit. Anytime I need to do research on something, be it developing or lenses or anything, I end up at apug or lfphotographyforums through a google search and quickly make a big sigh at how much those people get caught up into details instead of actually shooting and enjoying themselves. If it were up to those people I would be cowering in a corner of a dark room, completely afraid to develop my own film, use any of my lenses, or leave the house and actually take a photo.

I will say my old 75mm Super Angulon can get a little soft in the corners but that may just be due to how wide it is and it's older design. I don't think there's a huge difference in colors between all of them. Multicoated typically do better with flare but somehow the uncoated 75 I have does ok shooting straight into the sun and my Fuji 135 is the worst about flaring. I have no idea what people mean when they say it's clinical in rendering. It's fine and does a great job.

Good question about the maximum bellows extension. For those closeups I almost always use the 135 with the bellows out almost twice that far. The Toyo only goes out to 300mm which limits you on the long end and I can't focus all that close with the 210mm so the 135 works perfectly. When you're really far out don't forget to add exposure time for bellows compensation. I usually need to add a full stop for those close-ups.

Here's a Velvia shot with that "clinical" Fuji lens.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2011:07:02 16:15:03
Image Width1000
Image Height805
>>
>>2987971
>a big sigh at how much those people get caught up into details instead of actually shooting and enjoying themselves
In all seriousness, then, why do you still come around /p/?
>>
>>2985990
Could you please post a 1:1 crop of this please?
>>
File: f32diffraction.jpg (309KB, 1207x800px) Image search: [Google]
f32diffraction.jpg
309KB, 1207x800px
>>2990374
Alex is a shatbedder, a 100% crop will always be pure sadness. You won't really see diffraction softening in this format anyway. I mean yes, it's there, but scan quality is always going to be more limiting than that is.
This is f/32 on 6x9, DSLR scanned with a 4 shot stitch.
>>
File: themagician.jpg (506KB, 759x1041px) Image search: [Google]
themagician.jpg
506KB, 759x1041px
>>2990386
>a high resolution film scan
>of absolutely nothing
>>
File: RVP50120002-1miniedit2.jpg (444KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RVP50120002-1miniedit2.jpg
444KB, 1000x1000px
>>2991264
>tfw re-editing my 9th ever frame of velveeta
>mfw the memeposters shots of absolutely nothing will never be this comfy
>>
File: i'm going blind.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
i'm going blind.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>2991284
>blurry shit in the foreground
>nasty color casts everywhere
>not even cropped properly at the top of the frame
>>
daily reminder that there are casuals:
>>2990386
>>2991284

and there are pros.
>>2975076

thanks for the great thread, alex.

this shit should be stickied forever.
>>
>>2991286
>>2991290
So glad I could help bring this glorious thread to autosage with DSLR scanning shitposting :3
>>
Do your commissions or sales cover the use of colour film? You must have started with your initial shots shooting out of pocket. Did you see that as an investment, because you were confident in your ability? Or did you start filling your coffers with digital work?

I shoot 4x5 and it's damn near impossible for me to fucking afford goddamn Velvia or even Portra.
>>
>>2979847
Make sure you get metal that doesn't react to the b&w chem. love you.
>>
File: 2image208detail.jpg (257KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
2image208detail.jpg
257KB, 1000x625px
>>2990306
/p/ has some great people and you also get a quick "yes or no" feeling to most of the images you post here. It can help in weeding out some of the images, it's another source of input.

>>2990374
Sure, here you go.

>>2991623
Yeah, it's absolutely worth using color film for my purposes. Film and developing together only made up about 7% of my annual expenses this year. No where near the cost of inventory and booth rental at the art shows. When I wasn't running a business I still shot color film out of my own pocket because I wanted to and loved it. I wouldn't say I really looked at it as an investment. I've never done any digital work.

>>2991624
Yep, that was the problem at first. Turns out stainless steel works just fine.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Width16574
Image Height5610
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:12:30 08:36:17
Image Width1000
Image Height625
>>
>>2991870
>/p/ has some great people
>imblying
>>
>>2991870
You must have had a damn good income before you started then. The price of colour film is MAD. Do you develop colour film yourself?
>>
File: 1image155.jpg (573KB, 802x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1image155.jpg
573KB, 802x1024px
>>2991898
It was a rather standard income I would say, I was just able to budget about $3k a year in film and developing back when I worked full time. Now I develop myself so I spend way less on developing but I have been spending a lot more on film too in the last year.

PhotographerAlex Burke
Image Created2014:10:27 22:38:19
Image Width802
Image Height1024
>>
>>2992088
Christ, any tips for a loser like me? I'm making 11.50 CAD an hour, I cut all the corners, and I still feel like I can't afford to do much LF stuff. I have spare time, but I don't have a car or a driver's license. Not really sure what kind of shit I can do with an old 35mm camera flash and a bicycle that could set me on the path for actually getting payed to do this shit. I'm not after turning it into my day job; I only want to subsidize it so that buying more equipment (maybe starting some 6x17 shit) won't bankrupt me.
>>
>>2992248
As of right now, I should specify, I have an okay 4x5 setup: KB Canham folding DLC 4x5, 47mm SAXL, 90mm SA, 150mm Fujinon, 210 Symmar, 10 3/4 artar (still need to mount in shutter with adapter ring). I think I went too far with lenses and didn't spend enough on film. As of right now I shoot 100% x-ray to get the hang of things.
>>
>>2992270
>I think I went too far with lenses
M-maybe just a bit.
>>
>>2975076
How much pussy you get?
>>
File: Windmill,+Two+Track,+Storm.jpg (421KB, 1024x810px) Image search: [Google]
Windmill,+Two+Track,+Storm.jpg
421KB, 1024x810px
>>2992248
You can totally ride around and shoot 4x5, it's actually quite fun. This year I've had the funds and time to take further trips so I tend to drive for photos but it used to be quite common for me to ride around to get shots. Pic related. Do what you can to prioritize money towards film, I don't know your lifestyle but sacrifice everything for film. Eating out, drinking, debt, whatever. Try everything you can do to set aside $50 a month or something. You can do it!

>>2992368
I've got a great long-term girl I live with and we get along wonderfully so quite a bit. It is rather hard to stay single as a photographer, ladies love a man who doesn't let life get in his way.
>>
>>2992441
For me, I think a big part of the problem is that I live in Canada. Our dollar is worth nothing. Keep in mind that I make like 8 1/2 dollars USD. And every time I buy anything like film, I pay not only 15% sales taxes (thanks Quebec), but also higher base price because it has to be imported.

I ride my bike to work every day, I eat almost exclusively beans and rice, and I don't drink. Right now I'm really hurting because I've been out of work for a month after being hit by a car on my bicycle.

It's frustrating because no matter how many corners I cut, I can't seem to afford my photography. I work all the overtime I can (31 days straight last month).
>>
>>2992488
And that's 8 1/2 dollars an hour as of this moment. Next year, out dollar is supposed to drop to 65 cents US! Although I love Montreal as a city, the wages here are terrible.
>>
>>2992491
>Next year, out dollar is supposed to drop to 65 cents US!
So back to the year 2000, then.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 84

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.