[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speed Boosters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: mb_spef-e-bt2_01s.jpg (154KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
mb_spef-e-bt2_01s.jpg
154KB, 800x800px
I received a rokinon 14mm e mount lens as an early Christmas gift. I own a Sony a6300. I would like to use a metabones speed booster with the lens to gain an extra stop and a wider angle. However, I do not see any speed bosters that take an e mount lens and screw onto an e mount body. Am i missing something? Thanks in advance!

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:07:02 16:55:00
Exposure Time1/60 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Brightness-3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width800
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2988421
>Am i missing something?
The gear thread >>2986527
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>2988424
I value my life so I'll pass. Merry Christmas, troll.
>>
>>2988421
>speed booster
black magic
>>
>>2988421
>Am i missing something?

a brain, you retarded faggot.
>>
>>2988441
Sorry for asking a legitimate question. I guess i am a retard for trusting 4chan to provide an intelligent answer. Merry Christmas.
>>
wrong thread but the reason it doesnt work is that youre trying to adapt a lens thats already suitable for your body. the flange distance is the same. feels weird trying to explain
>>
>>2988454
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. So i guess a better question is, if i were to exchange the e mount for an ef mount and use the e to ef speed booster, would the angle be wider or the same as the e mount without the speed booster?
>>
>>2988458
What was wrong with the 12mm f2?
>>
>>2988473
The 14mm was a gift. I see the 12mm is an aps-c only lens. Does that mean its a true 12mm on the a6300? The 14 is a full frame lens.
>>
>>2988484
It means the 12 is a 12 and the 14 is a 14. One has an image circle sized for 135 and one for APS-C.
>>
>>2988496
The 14 will not be a 14 on the a6300 due to the crop factor. The 14 will be a 14 on a full frame.
>>
>>2988458
You'd get improved field of view. Assuming there are no aps-c baffles in the lens. Look down it. Are there any rectangular shapes or is it all circles? if you have circles, swap mounts and boost that shit.
>>
>>2988484
The 12mm lens will only be slightly different to the 14mm lens on an a6000. True aps-c does not mean that it's any wider or different, it ONLY means that it's not compatible with an a7.
>>
>>2988421
The fuck are you doing? You want to use a £350 adapter on a £200 lens on a shit house body.

Just sell your body and use the metabones money to get a full frame sony, speedboosters assfuck image quality especially on uwa lenses.
>>
File: 3iw4qPg.gif (1MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3iw4qPg.gif
1MB, 1080x1080px
>>2988500
The 14 will always be a 14mm lens.
>>
>>2988639
I do a lot of travel/backpacking. The a6300 size and weight is why it's my go to travel camera. That combined with a peakdesign clip is perfect for what i do. As far as the lens, again, it was a gift. So i could spend another $4-500 USD to make this lens do what a $1500-2000 lens does with very little difference.

>>2988636
I don't plan on going full frame on a Sony so would the 12mm boosted be a better choice? (Can you boost a aps-c lens?) The 12mm is smaller/lighter and accepts filters. I plan on using this lens for landscapes and astro shots (also going to iceland in March).

>>2988641
Yes you are right focal length does not change, however, the FOV does.
>>
>>2988723
You can't boost a lens with a aps-c image circle if you're gonna use it with an aps-c sensor. It would vignette.

As for your question:
The reason you're not seeing e>e boosters is likely because the lack of a flange distance complicates things and because the market isn't big enough to justify building it.

You can probably do some creative adapter stacking but you'd have to adapt e-mount to something with similar flange distance to avoid cropping to much and then boost. I'm not sure if there are any adapters that would be suitable.
>>
>>2988726
So would a boosted 14mm give a wider FOV than the 12mm aps-c?
>>
>>2988728
Yes.

It's not complicated:
14mm x 0.71 = 10mm
10mm is wider than 12mm

I think 14mm is a more useful focal length on APS-C though.
10mm is quite extreme.
So if you do decide to change it for an a-mount, I would recommend also buying a straight adapter so you can switch between 14mm and 10mm - which actually makes it a very useful lens.
Alternatively you could keep it as-is, and maybe buy a cheap fisheye lens for the more extreme angles.
>>
>>2988740
Would you then have to apply the crop factor? Ie: 14x.71=10 then 10×1.6=16? Thank you for the response.
>>
Whoops forgot sony has a 1.5x crop. So will it be 14x7.1 =9.94 then the 1.5x crop 9.94x1.5=14.91?
>>
Edit: That should read 14x.71 = 9.94
>>
>>2988745
Yes, you are correct. You always apply 1.5x crop factor when comparing a lens attached to aps-c to a full frame camera.

10 x 1.5 = a 15mm lens on an A7/d800/5D

1.6 is Cannon shit-tier only.
>>
>>2988723
I would prefer the 12mm for those reasons, but boosting the 14mm would be just as good in theory. In pactice, I don't know what the output of a boosted 14mm would be like in terms of image quality.
>>
>>2988764
Speed boosters make everything not in the very centre look swirly, soft and shite.

With the high cost of speedboosters and low cost of sony full frame that are no larger than their crop brothers, the speedbooster has lost its position in the market, when you can get a second hand a7 for £450 it makes no sense at all.

Not to mention the instant boost in low light performance, sharpness, bokeh and lens selection.
>>
>>2988769
The Chinese ones, yes. The $450 boosters are extremely good for standard lenses, but I haven't seen any real world examples from lenses that wide.
>>
itt : sony spillover shills
>>
>>2988745
You don't have to over-complicate things becasue you only have one camera.

Crop factor is only useful when comparing cameras with different size sensors.

14 x 1.5 is still bigger than 12 x 1.5
>>
>>2988447
>>2988432
use the right fucking thread you faggot piece of shit

why the fuck are you fags responding to this ass clown
>>
>>2988793
No, we are not comparing cameras, rather using their sensor size to get a basis for FOV. I am trying to get an understanding on if a speed booster on a 14mm will give me a larger FOV then a 12mm after the crop factor. From what i understand, the 14mm with the speed booster will give me approx 15mm while the 12mm without the speed booster will get me 18mm on my sony a6300. The real question is: Is speed boosting the 14 worth it or should i exchange the 14mm for the 12mm? Also, thank you to those who are adding valuable input to the discussion.
>>
>>2988772
They even turn fast 50mm lenses into swirly, soft, abhorrent messes, which is compounded by crops far too small pixel pitch.

Yes the metabones are considerably better than a zhongyi, but a cup of piss is considerably better than a turd sandwich.

It's just a tc in reverse, but instead of magnifying the best part of the lens, you're squeezing in the worst parts. It's a very expensive exercise in piss poor image quality and disappointment.
>>
>>2988772

If you are buying a $450 adapter for one lens you should have just gotten the FF body. It would have been cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>2988723
>Yes you are right focal length does not change, however, the FOV does.
I never said it does at any point.
You were so quick to hop onto the autism train and shitpost at someone that you forgot to check your facts m8.

A 14mm lens will ALWAYS be a 14mm lens. A 50mm lens will ALWAYS be a 50mm lens regardless of which camera it is mounted on.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.