[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering selling all my gear for a single compact camera.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: 810GiAMVEWL._SL1500_[1].jpg (110KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
810GiAMVEWL._SL1500_[1].jpg
110KB, 1500x1000px
Considering selling all my gear for a single compact camera. Is this a bad idea? When I went from the t3i to a6000 I went out to shoot way more. Even with the a600 though I still find myself not wanting to haul it around. I never bring it when I'm just hanging out with friends or just out and about. If I had a decent compact, I'd probably bring it with me 99% of the time. Plus they're great for shooting video for vlogs and random shit. My main concern is I'm unsure about the significance of the quality drop. Thoughts?
>>
Get a Ricoh GR and shut the fuck up
>>
>>2984241
Depends on what you plan to do with the pictures. If you're only planning for online use and no huge prints you probably won't notice all that much difference.
>>
>>2984245
This. Also you have some underlying psychological issues if you arent comfortable taking a big camera with you in public.
>>
>>2984305
>>2984245
I'd like to have a zoom lens. And the big camera has nothing to do with my psychology and more to do with convenience. I'm more likely to take a camera if that camera fits in my pocket.
>>
>>2984307
>convenience
Yeah right. Totally.

>zoom lens.
>fits in my pocket
RX100
>>
>>2984307
How likely are you to take that camera out of your pocket?
>>
>>2984312
If I see a something that would make for a cool shot then why wouldn't I?
>>
>>2984319
Why wouldnt you just take the camera you already own?
>>
>>2984324
Because if I'm out (not for the sole purpose of taking pictures) I'd much rather carry a lightweight camera that fits in my pocket. Maybe I'll only see a handful of interesting stuff and lugging around a bigger cam is not fun if I'm taking like 10 pictures.
>>
The good compact costs as much as an entry level mirrorless, while being worse. The bad compact is cheap and nasty and will sap the joy of photography from your life forever; it being easily carriable just makes this worse.

Get a manbag instead and shoot everything with a standard lens. A faux-military backpack tends to do just fine.
>>
>>2984329
>(not for the sole purpose of taking pictures)
Wait what? Why else would you go outside?
>>
>>2984338
My man
>>
>>2984241
>quality drop

shoot on fucking film you idiot
>>
>>2984367
?
>>
>>2984370
>smaller than aps-c camera
>better "sensor"
>>
>>2984371
I said my main concern is whether or not the quality drop is going to be significant.
>>2984254
Said it's not a big difference if I'm not printing.
Idk where anyone said smaller sensors are better.
>>
>>2984377
Just get the GR already you faggot
>>
>>2984377
Stop worrying about image quality and start worrying about taking better pictures
>>
>>2984241
g7x mark ii, you'll never look back
>>
>>2984305
>you have some underlying psychological issues if you arent comfortable taking a big camera with you in public.
kek
Project a little less
>>
>>2984390
Do you think you are smart for figuring that out?
>>
>>2984241
I'm in the same boat, I've been looking at the sony RX100 series. Don't know the internet's opinion on it really, but it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>>2984337
not everyone enjoys walking around with a fucking backpack while on dates in the city, watching movies, going to happy hour, meetings, work, sailing, shooting, reading, writing, and otherwise living an active life. Lugging around even something like an a6000 is a pain when you can't just throw some shit in your pocket.
>>
>>2984467
Was going to say
before OP mentioned vlogging too, there'd be plenty great compacts from many brands, but the RX100 series with 4K are great for video.
>>
>>2984241
>If I had a decent compact, I'd probably bring it with me 99% of the time.
Bullshit.
You don't do shit. If you have the gear now and don't bother, buying more gear is not going to change your fundamental habits and attitude. It's just an excuse.

>Thoughts?
Sell all your shit to people that will actually bother to make the effort, use funds to buy a smartphone with a decent enough camera for your lazy snapshits as that seems to be what you wanted all along. A phone will do everything you need and is convenient enough that you'll be left with no excuse (not that that will stop you).

This is the optimal solution for you. Leave now and do it.
>>
>>2984470
So buy a strap. If youre so active why are you too weak to carry a fucking dslr
>>
>>2984470
>a6000 is a pain
Holy shit, just shoot on your iphone if you think you are so important you can't be bothered to carry any extra device.
>>
>>2984494
They're just trying to rationalize their general lack of willpower by any means possible.
>>
I know a dude who carries a 5d mk3 with a 50mm lens everyday and he never complains.
>>
>>2984241
Just sell all your shit and go to a different board.
>>>/b/
>>
>>2984470
> while on dates in the city, watching movies, going to happy hour, meetings, work, sailing, shooting, reading, writing, and otherwise living an active life.
You sound like the king of normies. I don't get ot. Why is 4chan appealing to you?
>>
LX100
Check it out see if it floats your boat.
>>
>>2984241

I got the g7x for my parents and they seem to like it. It's a decent little camera to play around with. As everyone so clearly said, you can't expect dslr quality but in most normal applications it's more than fine and certainly a step up from your phone.
>>
>>2984241
RX100 is still 1" sensor.
If you want pocketable get Ricoh. If you want selfie screen with smol body and less quality drop get E-PL8 with pancake zoom http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-ed-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6-ez.html
>>
>>2984241
>t3i
heres your problem, you're more interested in calling yourself a photographer than taking good photos.

Bigger cameras = higher skill ceiling, but for you, you are right, this is wasted. An iphone has more potential than you'l ever need.

Sell everything.
>>
>>2984641
tch, you special snowflakes are all the same
>>
>>2984470
>not everyone enjoys

Then fucking LEARN. Because your other option SUCKS.
>>
Lx100. That's my two cents.
>>
>>2984470
Not carrying a backpack while
>shooting
>sailing
>reading
>writing

For all that gear you'll be selling just get a fucking iPhone 7, it'll give you about as good of quality as a high end point and shoot. You are going to have a significant drop in quality compared to a good mirrorless or a dslr, but if you're too much of a pussy to carry around an a6000 you don't care enough about photography to worry about it.

Don't ask for advice and then bitch when people don't give you the answers you want. P&S's are shit now days because everyone is either happy with their phones or moving to something with interchangeable lenses.
>>
>>2984305
>Projecting: the post
>>
>>2984641
I'm at heart a hateful person. I just hide it well behind layers of disgust, contempt, and power games at work.

>>2985774
not OP, but dude, relax. When you have a sick ass job that you love and make more money than you could possibly spend, you're price insensitive. Wanting to carry a slightly smaller magic lightpaint box is worth it when you like taking baller pics bro.
>>
>>2987489
Haha well if you're so price insensitive just buy a fucking Leica and be done with it. But selling your dslr or mirrorless gear for a compact is going full autist.
>>
>>2984241
>Thoughts?
It's a great idea. You might struggle in very dark situations, but that's what the flash is for.
>>
>>2987500
the fuck bro what did you call me?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161222-190911.png (300KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161222-190911.png
300KB, 1440x2560px
>>2987980
Someone's salty. Can't except that you're just an autistic neckbeard?
>>
File: 1821.jpg (31KB, 300x337px) Image search: [Google]
1821.jpg
31KB, 300x337px
>>2984241
The best option is to follow your path, go smaller. That's how our technology went right? Our phones are smaller, our computers are smaller, our cars are smaller. So, the best upgrade would be
>Small and compact

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelFinePix S602 ZOOM
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera FinePix S602 ZOOM Ver1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2005:12:31 12:15:12
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness2.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length8.90 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width300
Image Height337
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
if I sold all my gear and went smaller, I'd have an extra $6,500.
>>
>>2984241
I plan on doing the same thing but also going analog
>>
>>2984241
>My main concern is I'm unsure about the significance of the quality drop. Thoughts?
It's big enough that the people who bring an IL camera bring an IL camera.

You can use a RX1R II and it still often won't perform as well as an APS-C with a good lens. And of course with a RX100 V your quality will be reduced even more.

But they're better than no photographs or photographs with a smartphone, if that's what it takes you to carry a camera... do it?

I personally just have a backpack, 'cause where's the problem with carrying a puny MILC when you got a good bag...
>>
File: idroid_royal_v7_handheld_angle.jpg (31KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
idroid_royal_v7_handheld_angle.jpg
31KB, 800x450px
>>2988170
>Our phones are smaller

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeTECNO
Camera ModelTECNO-J7
Camera SoftwareTecno software
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:06:07 16:54:47
Exposure Time2499/250000 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating94
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceOther
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.50 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height450
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2984371
Oh hi Ken
>>
>>2984497
>D700 with grip all day erryday

Tell him to get on my level
>>
>>2989676
RX1RII is a full frame with a Zeiss Leica quality prime on it. It takes phenomenal pics.
>>
leica c or a d-lux
>>
>>2984241
The most problematc thing of the compact cameras is the absence of mechanical zoom ring.
Go for LX100, it has one.
>>
>>2990633
the LX100 zoom ring is electrical though, right? you can configure it to set ISO instead..
still, it seems like a good fit for OP, if it's not too bulky.
OP, I would go for one of the Sony RX100's or the Lumix LX100
>>
>>2984241
you are just a lazy ass, if you sell all your gear you will later regret it when you realise you cannot change lenses, and when your little compact goes outdated. Also when you see how shitty the pictures are in comparision.
>>
>>2990637

Oh shit my bad it is electrica, look at that top panel.....
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100/3
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.