[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gear/ - Gear Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 30

File: pentacks21.jpg (386KB, 1008x807px) Image search: [Google]
pentacks21.jpg
386KB, 1008x807px
Last Thread >>2970386

Anything about lenses, cameras, mounts, systems, buying, pricing, selling, etc. GOES IN HERE!

Don't open new threads for gear-related issues.
No pointless (brand) arguments and dickwaving allowed! You have been warned! Just questions, answers and advice.

I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here.

And don't forget, be polite.
>>
First post for Bentax masterrace.
>>
I'm looking to get a hot shoe flash or two for portrait purposes. Any recommendations? I don't really need TTL.
>>
>>2973456
Yongnuo YN660.
>>
What camera should I buy to achieve fuccboii status. I want muthafuckas to know I am a hypebeast.

>inb4 buy a sony a7ii
>>
I have a Nikon F5 and want to purchase a slightly decent but relatively affordable 24-70 zoom lens, what are some of my choices? Also any recommendations on other telephoto lenses?
>>
>>2973460
a7r2
>>
>>2973460
Leica.

>>2973468
lmao fuck off Sony cuck
>>
>histogram is based on jpeg
is this true?
>>
File: Yi M1 4K.jpg (167KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Yi M1 4K.jpg
167KB, 1500x1500px
Have any of you guys ever tried chinese cameras? There's really no reason why a good sensor could get appropriated for use in off brand cameras. This one is $500, which I think is too steep for a m4/3 considering you could get an OMD-10 for the same price, but that makes me wonder if it is a worthy competitor at that price.
>>
>>2973501

Probably passable enough IQ, but I'd suspect the menus to be an awful mess.
>>
>>2973506
This

>>2973501
I'd probably be worried about quality control too
>>
>>2973440
ive got that 50 a 1.7 and and love it. great old glass
>>
>>2973518
Get the M version and you'll love it even more
>>
Does the G7 support O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) through a non-powered lens adapter? Curious as searching around for the Mitakon Zhongyi Canon EF to MFT to see the pros and cons. It is a non-electric adapter unlike its more expensive counter part the Metabones Speedbooster but it is more affordable.
>>
>>2973521

OIS is done in lens. If the lens does not have power, the OIS does not function.
>>
>>2973466
Are you a cheap ass bitch nigga? 24-85 G VR + 70-300VR is your answer.
>>
I have approximately 1500 USD to blow on gear. I have nothing, and am an aspiring amateur photographer.
I'd like to buy a DSLR and some lenses.
I'd like to stick to canon as a brand
I'll be taking photographs of a few varying things, and would like to have around 2-3 lenses.
One for sports
One for landscapes
and one for street / portraits.

I have no idea what to buy, please shoot some recommendations my way.
(the sticky said buy a canon powershot, but I'm pretty sure powershots are point and shoot, not DSLR, right?)

also need a backpack or satchel or something to store my crap in.
>>
>>2973501
It might be decent, Xiaomi does good work with smartphones (been using Redmi Note 2 for over a year now), there's no reason that they should fuck up with their cameras.
>>
Best zoom lens for Nikon D750?
>>
>>2973540
> I'd like to stick to canon as a brand
The cheap Canons are comparatively shit, and if you got a okay enough 80D or 6D, you'd have little money left for lenses.

> One for sports
You will probably have to compromise. The "fast" f/2.8 FF zoom lenses that are often used for this are not really cheap enough for the budget.

> One for landscapes
Typically a wide angle lens. Primes or short zooms around 10-24mm are pretty commonly used.

> one for street / portraits
Street is typically 30-50mm, portrait might be 85-135mm though you might also be able to do something with a good 50mm.

All focal lengths are FF equivalents.

> also need a backpack or satchel or something to store my crap in
Aliexpress has a bunch of no name bags, Lowepro, National Geographic etc. Not sure if real or fake for the brands, but the quality has been reported to be okay for multiple of these before, and the one I got also was fine.

Some of these should work.
>>
Anyone know if a sony a6500 +mc11 + canon 400mm f5.6 would be a good set up? How would af be for bif and would in body stabilisation work?
>>
>>2973563
Some of these perhaps:
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G
Sigma 24-35mm f/2
Tokina AT-X 24-70 f/2.8 PRO FX
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8
Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8
>>
>>2973540
>One for sports
Probably outside your budget, but you can still try and get the best zoom that you can afford and practice with it at least. Even slow-ish zooms can work if you shoot outdoors in good lighting.
>One for landscapes
35mm. Offers great perspective but doesn't include too much forefround like a 28mm would. 50mm I've found to be too narrow to capture really breathtaking scenes. I also carry a 200mm tele along to pick off isolated things of interest, but that's a niche thing.
>and one for street / portraits
A fast 50mm is fine.
>>
>>2973563
Tamron 16-300
>>
>>2973574
Never tried this combination.

> would in body stabilisation work?
Works even for manual lenses and I think I saw it working on the A7R II before - so yea, it should.
>>
File: catsnapshot.jpg (284KB, 1439x967px) Image search: [Google]
catsnapshot.jpg
284KB, 1439x967px
>>2973555
Okay. This is now the very upper right corner of a frame, handheld shot wide open at f/2.8.

This lens is very evenly sharp all across the frame at all apertures, meaning it's really not a problem to use any place on the lens from f/2.8 to f/8 (and f/11 still is equal or better to many a kit lens at its best).

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>2973594
>he still plays with dolls
>>
>>2973572
I'll look into the 80D and 6D, and maybe settle for 1 lense for now, and save up for more.
don't care about branding of the bag as long as it's convenient for my stuff.

Thankyou very much, anon.
>>
>>2973578
Thank you too, anon.
>>
>>2973596
If you are thinking about the 80D it is worth to check out a refurbished or used 70D. basically the same camera, same AF but with a better price and you can fit a good lens in your budget like the Sigma 30/1.4.
>>
>>2973585
Have you tried any combinations of sony bodies + canon lenses?
>>
>>2973602
I'm checking out gumtree at the moment (Australian local classified ads)
thank you anon
>>
>>2973574
All I know is long tele lens with on-sensor AF is a bad idea, it will lose focus in tracking and will hunt most of the time.
I would get the Minolta/Sony A-mount counterpart and use the SLT AF adapter for reliable tracking. It has the necessary extended optics in the AF assembly.
>>
File: catsnapshot-rokkor.jpg (361KB, 1439x967px) Image search: [Google]
catsnapshot-rokkor.jpg
361KB, 1439x967px
>>2973531
>>2973594
Also at the upper right corner, but on a old 50mm Minolta Rokkor-PF f/1.7, shot at the same f/2.8.

It's not more hand shake or particularly out of focus. The lens is just not quite as sharp.

>>2973595
Can't really play much with decorative figures. I'm only playing with my camera.

Although both might also be done by kids, so I guess you have a point in a way...

>>
>>2973605
I already own the 400mm. Maybe il just get the 7d2
>>
""best"" DSLR camera for a rookie under $1200 AUD?
please and thanks.
have a separate budget for lenses and the like, the $1200 is for body only.
>>
>>2973602
> basically the same camera, same AF
No. The AF is very different, and even the camera overall is quite different.
>>
>>2973501
Go fucking get some a6000 or something.Xiaoyi is so hard to serious usages.
>>
>>2973617
Maybe a Nikon D7200 or Sony A6000 or A6300, Olympus EM5 II, or Canon 80D?

[Not entirely sure about actual prices in 'straya, just guessing some that might be more or less right in price]
>>
>>2973619
AF is literally the same, both the mirror PDAF and the on-sensor dual pixels.
>>
>>2973617
Nikon D7100/D7200, Pentax K-3/K-3II/K-70, Canon 70D/80D
>>
>>2973629
>>2973631
Cheers, I'll check 'em out mates
>>
>>2973628
Their lens are not good,and you have 0 choice for upgrade or finding a alternative cheaper lens.
>>
>>2973630
> literally the same
45 vs 19 cross type points
27 line and 9 cross at up to f/8 vs *none*

That is not the same.
>>
>>2973594
>>2973608
thanks man, appreciated
>>
Don't really know where they fall price wise, but can anyone suggest some sort of portable room lighting? Would like to get better lighting for videos without needing to crank up ISO or drop to lower f/stops /shutter speeds, but can't go about installing over head lighting at the moment.
>>
>>2973603

a7 bodies with IBIS support both IBIS and OIS with the proper adapter.

I assume a6500 will be the same. Doesn't launch for like a week though, right?

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSC-RX100M3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)70 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:07:10 15:36:00
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness-1.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length25.70 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2973594
This is sigma 60mm f2.8 for sony E, right?
>>
>>2973633

What? The Xiaoyo? Cause that isn't true for the a6k.
>>
>>2973612
I wuld get the 80D instead, similarly good AF but much better sensor performance. The 7D2 has the same sensor tech as the 7D1 with smaller photosites. The AF is superb but you will quickly run into exposure problems in the slightest of light drop.
>>
>>2973641
How similar? Ive read the 80d is lacking in af compared to 7d2
>>
File: flk.jpg (337KB, 1000x839px) Image search: [Google]
flk.jpg
337KB, 1000x839px
>>2973635
No problem. Here's one more, first one I resized down (from 2497x2096).

>>2973639
Yup, that one.

Apart from everything already mentioned, did you know you can remove the rear baffle (easily accessible screws, anyone can do it) and get this on FF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/l111210/sets/72157638780185196/ ?

>>
>>2973650
Compared to the 7D2, yes but still it is pretty damn good in tracking fast subjects and only missing a couple shots when it is moving towards the camera. I didn't say it was better than the 7D2, but due to the sensor disability I'd stick for the second best option with the better sensor. The 7D2 drops detail pretty quickly when the light gets slightly challenging.
Of course you have your own points for it, I was just stating my own views.
>>
>>2973659
Interesting points. I take a lot of photos in woodlands with not much light so then it looks like the 80d is more suitable?
>>
>>2973685
Yes and there are lots of recommendations go for it rather than the 7D2.
The 7D2 is geared more towards sports photographers who shoot only in open areas or well lit stadiums.
>>
>>2973707
In wildlife you will mostly use spot focus on the center point rather than tracking. Continuous focusing is more of a rarity and can actually ruin your shots rather than improve by going in and out slightly on a stationary subject.
I usually go for spot single focus then correct manually when the bird moves around. It just feels more controlled than automatic tracking focus.
>>
>>2973651
Ok, this looks good.
Not sold on using on FF that much but I don't plan on buying FF mirorless anytime soon anyway, just got this a6000.
>>
>>2973711
No spot focus on 80d tho?
>>
>>2973722
I meant single point focus, basic adjustment on every camera.
>>
>>2973651
One mor ething - ca you give me exact full name of the lens? I seem to find weird differences in prices for a new lens, dunno if its a case of a fucked up retailer or if there are some cheaper versions of this lens.
>>
File: good_lens_poor_aperture_setting.jpg (174KB, 1000x934px) Image search: [Google]
good_lens_poor_aperture_setting.jpg
174KB, 1000x934px
>>2973732
There is only one Sigma Art 60mm, and it's this f/2.8.

Sigma itself calls it
> 60mm F2.8 DN | A
or
> 60mm F2,8 DN | Art

Of course you still want the version for your camera's mount (MFT or E-mount exist).

> I seem to find weird differences in prices for a new lens
There's a possibility that there is a price difference between a parallel import version and a version coming with a local warranty card in some places. Or perhaps some are refurbished?

Or it's perhaps just weird pricing.

>>
Is an f/1.4 prime really worth the extra cost over a 1.8?
>>
>>2973740
Thanks again, you've been really helpful.
>>
>>2973741
It depends on how much you need an extra stop it offers, that's all. There is no hidden pros in there, you just get one more aperture stop and shallower depth of field.
>>
>>2973741
It offers shallower DoF, which can be very convenient to use.

It could give you around 2/3 of an EV extra light, but that already depends on the T-stoppage of the actual lenses - aperture alone doesn't say how much light you loose in the lens.

And then there is also the problem of resolving power. Having the option to set the lens to f/1.4 does not mean that said lens is sharp across the frame at f/1.4. Or even as sharp as the f/1.8 when set to f/1.8.
I personally will prefer a f/1.8 with a higher resolving power over a f/1.4 with lower resolving power, basically every time.
>>
>My camera gear is worth around $10k total
What am I doing with my life
>>
>>2973754
>What am I doing with my life
Spending it without any apparent improvement.
>>
>>2973741
Not really.
Nor is full frame worth the cost over APS-C.

Only buy expensive camera gear when you have plenty money.
>>
>>2973754
I imagine and hope you're having a fun time with photography?
>>
>>2973742
If you're not sure if or why you need it - you dont need it.
>>
>>2973767
meant to reply to:
>>2973741
>>
Hiya! I didn't want to burden you with a new thread for just a small question so here I go:

I'll be going to Finland in 2 weeks and I'm trying to pick between two cameras which one I should take with me.

A Minolta Memory Maker
or
A Minolta XG-2

thank
>>
>>2973776
A Powershot
>>
>>2973776
Don't come to Finland. It's a silly place.
>>
>>2973800
b-but I already bought plane tickets ;-;
>>
>>2973803
Friendly tip, don't ask around for pubs or where to buy beer. It is basically asking for trouble.
>>
>>2973776
Digital is pretty much always more sensible for travel.

Much lighter weight, ability to backup or clone and leave a copy in the place you stay, and it's possible to check if you captured that subject that you really wanted to capture, among other advantages.
>>
>>2973776
> anon: hi, which film camera should I take with me on a trip?
>p: take digital

Take whatever you feel more comfortable shooting. XG-2 is not that heavy, cmon.
>>
Should I get a Olympus Stylus Infinity or is it a meme and are there cheaper cameras that compare in overall quality?
>>
>>2973776
Welcome to the commieblock hell. At least we got snow again, with some luck it won't turn into a rain in that time. Best come not expecting the winter wonderland until February though.

XG-2, I have XG-1 and it's pretty compact for an SLR, especially if you have the 45mm pancake Rokkor, which you should since it's one of the best Minolta lenses anyway. Memory Maker is a turbo cheap P&S and limits your options a lot. Take it from me, it was my first camera. If you want a holiday snapshitter for quick and easy shots, get a Hi-Matic AF.

Be sure to tour small antique shops if you're looking for camera stuff, also camera & photo stores often have old gear stashed in glass cabinets that they're willing to sell, you can haggle on the price if you look like you know your shit. Just avoid flea markets, they are a waste of time for a lot of reasons.

Don't go to Helsinki suburbs, metro or train stations at night. Avoid the Eastern part of the city, which should be easy since there isn't anything worth seeing there anyway.
>>
>>2973833
Gee, thanks for the info, friend!
I'll definitely look out for a 45mm pancake Rokkor lens on ebay or my country's main secondhand site. I'd mostly be going for a teeny tiny walk around in Tampere, kind of looking around what my next school will be like while also visiting a friend.
>>
File: Mill BW 05 16.jpg (1MB, 1440x970px) Image search: [Google]
Mill BW 05 16.jpg
1MB, 1440x970px
>>2973837
Tampere is a pretty good place. I'd tell you to not go to Hervanta, but if you're going to study there, chances are you're going to live in that place anyway. It's a pretty wild part of town. Enjoy the old brick-layered industrial buildings in the city center. Also if you're into UE, the Lielahti pulp mill might still be there. Pic related. They were tearing down parts of it when I visited a few years ago though.

https://kameratori.fi/en - This is one of the notable dealers of classic camera stuff in Finland. Their main store is in Tampere, so you may want to check it out. Right now it seems they have several of those pancake Rokkors for 50e a piece.

>>
>>2973839
You're too good, man. Thanks again for all the awesome info on interesting places, and that camera store having their main store in Tampere is excellent! thanks <3
>>
>>2973833
>>2973837
"Hello, I'm from the capital, this represents the whole country"
http://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Helsinki/map/lumensyvyys
Depending on the place you go, be prepared for snow. Finland is a safe country. As is the eastern parts of Helsinki. Don't worry.

Tapere used to have lots of textile industry and it has a cool old industrial district downtown. Norrköping has it better though, but that is in Sweden.
>>
What are some /p approved bags that will take a small (12-13") laptop, DSLR with 1 mounted and maybe 1 packed lens, and a tripod (externally is fine)?

Either messenger or backpack style are fine. Inexpensive is best.

Thanks!
>>
>>2973918
Check Aliexpress. National Geographic, Lowepro, random camera backpacks.
>>
There are good cyber monday deals for Canon T6 and Nikon D3400 and im leaning nikon only because i have a Nikon N75, but it seems like their lenses are more expensive than comparable canon ones. Can anyone suggest one over the other?
>>
Tamron 24 70 2.8 or canon f4?
>>
>>2974014
Tamron
>>
Any good F-mount manual focus lenses on sale for Cyber Monday?
>>
File: mfwjews.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
mfwjews.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>look up reviews of ~$400 lens on youtube
>dude this lens is shit buy this $1700 lens instead
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271978722534?rmvSB=true

>you will never own this lens
>>
>>2973766
Yes, I spent all of my free time taking photos.
>>
Sigma 35mm 1.4 or Nikon 35mm 1.4?

Nikon is 1700 new, Sigma is 900.
>>
>>2974069
>this $150 lens isn't sharp when you do a 200% crop of the corner
>absolute trash, but L glass instead

It is hard to tell whether some.lenses are bad or the reviewers are.

Same with them being good too, actually.
>>
>>2973540
The 100mm f/2 is a great lens for the price if you buy used.
>>
>>2974073
What the fuck. Is that price justified?
>>
>>2973754
>tfw you've spent more money on dildos than you have on cameras
>>
>>2974073
>$300,000+ lens
>no warranty

lol
>>
>>2974077
Sigma, hands down. Not just cheaper but sharper and with lower CA, even wide open.
>>
File: doggie.jpg (41KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
doggie.jpg
41KB, 500x670px
Hey /p/

Looking for a compact camera to do p+s street photos with.

price around $300-500

<3
>>
I currently have a smorgasbord of gear. Two medium format film cameras, a 35mm RF with a 35/50 combo of lenses, An F3 and D700 with a 28/2.8 ais, 50/1.4, and 85/1.8 Af-D, and an Xpro-1 with a 23/1.4 and 35/2. I'm considering simplifying my gear and selling everything to sit with one digital system and my RF+35.

If I sell all the film gear and keep the Fuji stuff, I'll have a budget of about 3000. I'd like to get an xpro2/xt2 and and another lens or two, but I'm unsure which ones.

I could ditch the Fuji in favor of an A7ii. If I sell everything except the 28/2.8 (which I will adapt) I'll have a budget of around 4200, minus 1600 for the body. So 3600 for lenses, but I've got no clue what's going on in the E-mount ecosystem.

As for style and lens coverage, I'd like one wide (21-28), one standard (35-50), and either a medium telephoto for portraits or possibly even a zoom.

I shoot mostly New Topo style landscapes and portraits mostly. I'll leave the street stuff to my rangefinder.

So, what system/lenses do you suggest /p/
>>
>>2974188
Keep the Nikon and the MF bodies.
>>
>>2974188

a7ii would be a good choice, but it may be better to wait and see how the a7iii and a9 will be.
>>
>>2974175
Ricoh GR.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-29+at+03.31.16).jpg (235KB, 979x1004px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-29+at+03.31.16).jpg
235KB, 979x1004px
is this a good deal? It'll be my first real camera. you guys suggested the 80d to me yesterday, and this is the cheapest I could find it in a physical store.

keep in mind this is aussiebucks not ameribucks
>>
Today Canon put out new firmware update for several older cameras, check it out if you shoot Canon.

I just updated my EOS M.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-dslr/eos-m-ef-m-22mm-stm-kit?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-7d
>>
Having a hard time deciding between Fuji XT10 and the XT1. Is the XT1 worth the extra money? Does the XT10 feel too much like a toy?
>>
>>2974248
canon doesn't offer a fast, normal, cheap APS-C prime like nikon does and i think it's a huge drawback for someone really wanting to learn photography
>>
>>2974269
Canon has better cheap APS-C lenses then Nikon(and all other manufacturers).

Canon has a cheap 38.5mm equivalent which is not as fast as Nikons 35, but it's even closer to the "perfect" 42mm normal lens. There is a cheap 80mm equivalent too, which doesn't have great bokeh, but it's still better for portraits then 50 equivalent.

If he really needs fast apertures, he can get a Sigma 30mm F/1.4 prime which is more expensive, but also better then Nikon 35mm lens.

Anyway, why do you think 50mm equivalent is so important for someone really wanting to learn photography? IMO 50 is not optimal for general purpose photography, i prefer 40. It's a completely arbitrary measurement.

I started with zooms (on analogue SLR) and had no problems learning. Using zooms, one can see which focal length they use most, and then buy primes which will be the most useful for their style of shooting.

>>2974248
Get 18-135 STM instead 18-55 if you can. If you can't, add 55-250 STM to that kit. That lens is amazing for the price, no other manufacturer offers such performance in that price range.

Then just get a 50mm STM, and you are got the essentials covered. If you like ultra wide angle, check out 10-18mm STM (another lens that's unbeatable in it's price range).
>>
>>2974285
thanks anon. for some reason this store is selling the 80d (body only) for 1599, and the 80d (with 18-55mm IS Lens) for 1499.

makes no sense to me as neither item is on sale, but hey, I'm not complaining.
>>
>>2974289
>makes no sense to me as neither item is on sale, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Could one of them be grey-imported?
>>
I thought about investing in some mft lenses since I recently bought a omd e-m 10... but I can't help but to think that the E-Mount is the better system... especially now with the α6000 being 400$ (wish sony would make it also cheaper in europe...).

Any thoughts about the Sony HX series? They seem like decent enough for street photography.
I'd really like to get a Ricoh GR, but in Germany they are still hardly under 350€.
>>
>>2974303
Mft is a dead end, sony has a full upgrade path.

Compare half frame film shots to 135, that jump in quality and sharpness is what you will be getting by going for a crop sensor over m43. Lenses need resolve half the detail for an equivalently sharp photo.
>>
>>2974306
>Mft is a dead end

Thought so, until I can get my hands on an a7R or a6000 I'll stick with my Nex 5n(get some sigma lenses for it) and my omd em 10. Thanks.
>>
>>2974297
Don't think so, JB-HiFi is a huge chain with 100s of stores, so I don't think they'd do anything even slightly shifty that might upset customers or investors.
>>
>>2974289
Could be a typo and body only goes for 1299
>>
>>2974324
Also doubtful, we have something called Ticket Policy here, where if an item is incorrectly priced in a catalog or in store, you get it for the ticketed price, or in some cases, for free.
>>
File: 5421770662_72ffb94fd5_b.jpg (199KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
5421770662_72ffb94fd5_b.jpg
199KB, 1024x765px
What is a nice, cheap portrait lens?

I don't need perfect edge to edge sharpness, just something that would take pleasing portrait shots in most situations.

Almost any mount is okay. I am using fullframe mirrorless.
>>
>>2974351
I feel cheap and unsharp is just bad for portraits. There are just too many fine details on a human (hairs, fabric texture, iris)...

But since you apparently don't care, simply use whatever you want. Figures you'll still want to keep the FL equal to or greater than 50mm for perspective distortion reasons, though. Perhaps some 50mm f/1.8? Perhaps a Samyang 85mm f/1.4? Maybe a vintage Minolta (Tele-)Rokkor?
>>
>>2974356

I am not saying sharpness isn't important, just that the corner sharpness is considerably less important to me than the center.
>>
>>2974357
The Sigma Art 50mm is marginally unsharp in the corners at f/1.4. Maybe that?
>>
>>2974351
Get a Pentacon 135/2.8
cheap as salt
>>
>>2974351
>buys Sony A7
>can't afford lenses
Literally every Sony user ever
>>
>>2974388
Not to mention
>I don't need sharpness

Why the fuck would you need a digital camera? Just buy any shitty film camera and shoot all your blurry lomoshit photos!
You sonyfags are the cancer of the photography world!
>>
>>2974394
Hey fucc u m8, dont waste film for that lomoshit.
Buy a cheap digital POS
>>
>>2974388
The native FF lenses seem to sell well in stores, so you are wrong.
>>
>>2974404
That doesn't mean you have any
>>
Any of you goyims had experience with Park Cameras?
I tried to buy something from them but they're out-autisming me on every level by not letting me get a tracking number for my item. They claim my parcel could be intercepted, like I'm some part of a grand espionage plot.
>>
>>2974439
Park Cameras is a grey import store. They sell grey import at full retail price, so even if you receive your stuff it is very likely have no warranty on it and a third party refurbished unit if body or lens. Accessories are either chinese fake or legitimate first party chinese shit.
I actually feel sorry for you for stepping in this pile.
>>
>>2974394
>>2974356

He didn't say not sharp, just that he didn't care about the corners.

>>2974388

Half the fun of mirror less is mounting all kinds of weird shit.
>>
>>2974481
...are you saying that basic lens are weird?
Something that is used as a basic element in photography?
Do you honestly believe the body does a kind of magic making the photos and lens are considered as aesthetic thing?
This is the most ass backwards thing I heard from a Sony user but actually explains a lot.
Not even MFT or Fuji users do this shit.
Lowest of the low, dude. That is what you are.
>>
>>2974489
>...are you saying that basic lens are weird?

No by weird shit, I meant something other than modern Canon L lenses.

Forgotten lenses such as the Pentacon or old MD lenses.

>Do you honestly believe the body does a kind of magic making the photos and lens are considered as aesthetic thing?

No? The body was never mentioned by that guy beyond what it could do. Shit, the brand was never mentioned before you started shit posting.
>>
>>2974495
You said FF mirrorless. Only Sony has FF mirrorless so basically you started by boasting about your gear like it was something special.
It was a tasteless move on your part to say the least.
>>
Jupiter 6 180 2.8, locally for 250europoors.
Should I?
>>
>>2974498

So you are saying when asking for a lens recommendation, stating whether or not something is fullframe or APS-C isn't important?
>>
>>2974450
Companies offering cashback deals seem to have them down as a legitimate source so I'm not so sure on that.

I feel sorry that I ever ordered from them though, what kind of company doesn't allow you to track an item? Their bullshit is stopping me from even picking it up in my local depot where I know it's sitting.
>>
>>2973440
That is a strapping young camera. Would love k1 beast mode
>>
>>2974431
I personally do have two Sony FF lenses (and I'm actually on APS-C, but these work brilliantly on it).

Not that what I'm doing is very relevant to "every Sony user ever". That part is already pretty much settled with the E-mount FF lens sales apparently going well, for all we can tell.
>>
Anyone use a A7Sii for stills?

I'd like to get some for some video work but the idea of night street photography appeals to me as well.
>>
>>2974558
>pretty much settled with the E-mount FF lens sales apparently going well
And in what way does it make your photography better?
>>
>>2974481
> He didn't say not sharp, just that he didn't care about the corners.
I guess I shouldn't have ignored that bit.

Still doesn't change much, the only other option that this opens is perhaps adapting the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 APS-C lens (without the rear baffle maybe). Then you don't get the corners and a cheap lens.

For pretty much everything else, you can't really trade off price for corner sharpness only. The center will also suffer.
>>
>>2974268
>Is the XT1 worth the extra money?
Depends on your preference.
>Does the XT10 feel too much like a toy?
IMO it does, and that's why I chose the T1 instead.
Besides feeling more substantial and thus balanced when using heavier lenses (like the 56/1.2 et.al.) and having a full set of dials, the weather resistance helped in that decision as, living in the tropics like I do, shooting on rainy days is a frequent occurrence.

Also, the T1 had the option of a replaceable eyecup; there's an extended model that's much better for glasses wearers (or just when you wear sunglasses out on a bright day). The T10 has a fused and irremovable eyecup.

Buy what you can afford though, just so you can get out and shoot.
>>
>>2974560
I use an A7 occasionally for night stuff with an 85/1.4, 35/1.4 and 50/1.5. I don't see the A7S/II doing anything that the A7 won't do once resized down. It's alright but it's really nothing special overall. Most of the performance comes from sensor size.
>>
>>2974561
I'll pretend this question is separate rather than a fucking weird follow-up to an unrelated response.

The capability to do nice macro and pretty nice wide angle shots simply gives me a lot more options. And I would like even more of that to be able to crop and/or show more. But I'm definitely happier with this than I was with worse, less capable lenses before.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-29-16-17-31.png (445KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-29-16-17-31.png
445KB, 720x1280px
How's the D5500 for a first DSLR. It's at the top of my price range. I've heard good things about the touch screen too. Any reason not to get it??
>>
>>2974677
it's a D3x00 with a touch/swivel screen, and some pointless tinsel like more scene modes.

I'd get something cheaper. Either a D3x00 if you must have Nikon, or a Pentax K-50/S2/70, which'll give you more features on a low budget. (better viewfinder, dual control wheels, legacy lens compatibility, weather sealing..)
>>
How do I into canon L glass?
>>
>>2973540
Lol why stick to canon, have they done anything for you that deserves your money? Same goes for every other brand. It's not like there's a single brand that rekts everyone else in their cameras. When starting out you should really try out different stuff and see what suits you instead of buying into the shilling and advertising.
>>
>>2974695
>have money
>buy lens

it's not like you need a license to own the things. geez, aniki.
>>
>>2973576
>Sigma 200-500 f2.8
Wtf mate. That's one of the most impractical lenses ever made. It's more like a statement than an actual product.
>>
>>2974699
But i just want a comfy 600mm
>>
>>2974700
Is a set of 200mm - 500mm primes with the widest possible apertures "practical" somehow?

Not saying you need these or the equivalent zoom. Still one of the best zoom lenses.
>>
>>2974694
It seems to have many advances I've tried D3x00 series, also time lapse photography
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-29-17-41-34.png (175KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-29-17-41-34.png
175KB, 720x1280px
>>2974711
Forgot pic
>>
thoughts on the new Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II?

(5dmk3)
>>
>>2974677
It's a good first camera but a bit pricy compared to its gimped features.
A good alternative would be a Pentax K-S2 or K-70.
>>
>>2974718
It's great, I bought two already.
>>
I only have so much room for anime stickers on my camera so akame ga kill or jojo?
>>
Recommend me lights to use.
>>
>>2974787
Use in what situation?

But generally speaking, I'd recommend Godox or Yongnuo - they work and they don't cost very much.
>>
>>2974677
Would getting a 5300 be a better idea? I dont think the 5500 is all that much better.
>>
>>2974789
Mostly smaller indoor stuff. Still kinda new to all this.
>>
>>2974797
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/end-of-year-nikon-body.html
>>
>>2974801
"On a budget I’d opt for the D5300 over the current D5500, frankly."

So pretty much what i said?
>>
>>2974799
How small? Are your subjects going to be still in one place? Photo or video?
>>
Interests: Astro, Landscape, Travel, Video, maybe some portraiture here and there/happy snaps.
Mainly my options have been between the Sony A6300 and the Canon 80d, however I did notice when playing around in a camera shop today that the sony a7 is within my price range, I'm sitting on the fence as far as mirrorless/SLR goes but holding the a7 really did impress me with regards to form factor after playing around with the 80d.
Just wondering if the A7 is still worth purchasing at this point, or if I would be gimping myself by purchasing an older body with so many newer options around. Are there any other bodies I should look into?
>>
>he uses a crop sensor
>>
>>2974904
I prefer the A6300/A6500's AF.

You are not gimping yourself if you want FF, it is just what you get at this price. Sure enough the A7 II or A7R II are preferable if you got money. That said, in either case you still want good lenses. The overall difference might not be that big, depending on which glass you get.
>>
Hey guys posted in this thread earlier, bought a canon eos 80d based partly on your recommendations, and partly on my own research.

came in a kit with a EF-S 18-55 f/3.5 - 5.6 IS STM lens.
how bad is this lens? I have about another 800 in budget for additional lens(es), I mainly want to do street photography, and if possible pick up some kind of sport lens (my dog does agility training and I'd love to get some action shots of her)
any recommendations would be stellar, cheers.
>>
>>2974780
Try melonpan, the person.
>>
>>2974926
Kit lenses are what quite a lot of people are happy with, so if you can't tell if this is bad for you... maybe you, too? Might want to shoot that lens first and find out.

I myself would get f/1.4 primes or the Sigma Art 18-35mm or such.
>>
>>2974175
ricoh gr really is the only decent option out there, and it's not even that great

rx100 series is great

seriously consider getting a film p&s for street
>>
>>2974934
thanks, anon.
I'll probably stick with this lens for a while and just focus on my actual photography skills, when I'm a more competent photographer I'll get some better lenses / more specified lenses.
>>
>>2974904
Just because astro I would say go for the 80D
Check out BackyardEOS from O'Telescope
Maybe see how the 70D goes for you since it has a mostly working Magic Lantern for it, the 80D doesn't.
>>
>>2974939
Getting a cheap 30 or 35mm prime will do better improving your photo skills, being a normal focal length it will help you focus on the actual things you see and composure than trying to match the zoom ratio and letting the moment pass.
A Sigma 30/1.4 EX DC, the one before the Art series is cheap and has good IQ. I would get that regardless. Slap that shit on your camera and go downtown, one hand shooting right in the moment. It will feel good.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-30+at+07.48.42).jpg (104KB, 858x572px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-30+at+07.48.42).jpg
104KB, 858x572px
>>2974970
thank you anon
here's one of the better ones I managed with the kit lens
(yes I know the dog isn't quite sharp enough, but I'm pretty happy with the shot)
>>
The only gear I have right now is a Nikon D3200 with a 35mm f/1.8 prime and I've been thinking about upgrading the body. Is there any reason to not go for a mirrorless right now? I want to get into shooting more wildlife and birds and things like that, does mirrorless cameras have any good long range zooms or should I just buy a 400mm zoom for my D3200 and use the mirrorless for everything else?
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-30+at+07.55.23).jpg (202KB, 940x626px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-30+at+07.55.23).jpg
202KB, 940x626px
>>2974971
I won't plague this thread with any more off topic dog pics after this, but here's one more where she's actually in focus
>>
>>2974972

There is a lack of long prime lenses on mirrorless.

But since you can adapt almost anything, it isn't an issue unless you need professional sports level autofocus.
>>
>>2974972
Buy that 400mm for your camera then later on if you feel the need upgrade to a D7100 or D7200.
>>
>>2974974
So I can just grab a Nikon or Canon lens and slap it on the mirrorless? Is the Sony A6000 a good upgrade from the D3200 or should I go for something fancier?
>>
>>2973477
You're only using it for clipping whites and blacks. Use the general histogram, not the split RGB one (because its fucking useless).
>>
>>2973617
As a fellow ausfag, I managed to get my D7200 off ebay and a coupon (like 20% off through a tech special for Black Friday) for $960 plus 2x32gb sd cards and a $50 cashback from Nikon = $910 body only.

Keep an eye out for a deal like that. Its a marvelous camera and not delicate.
>>
>>2974977
AF will be very unreliable. Long focal length with on-sensor PDAF will only give you lots of hesitation and just hunting half the time.
There is a reason why Sony only demonstrates it's fast AF on short focal length generally under 100mm.
>>
>>2974979
thanks a ton anon, but i'm
>>2974926
got an 80d with kit lens for 1300.
>>
>>2974979
also ausfag to ausfag, shop at MSY for your SD cards, they have 64gb class 10s for $54
>>
>>2974977
The Nikon lenses aren't that reliable on adapters yet.

Canon's lenses work quite fine with a Metabones or Sigma MC-11, but IDK if that's only with newer camera models that have IBIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKAVTgxMelM
>>
>>2974980
>>2974985
Eh, I can just use my D3200 when I need the 400mm if it's unbearably bad. I'll probably give the A6000 a shot since it's fairly cheap.
>>
>>2974985

>Canon's lenses work quite fine with a Metabones or Sigma MC-11, but IDK if that's only with newer camera models that have IBIS.

IBIS does not matter, but instead pdaf. Only the a7ii, a7rii, a6300, and a6500 support pdaf.

>The Nikon lenses aren't that reliable on adapters yet.

A new adapter was just released by metabones that supports pdaf autofocus speeds.

Haven't seen many reviews, but supposed to be damn good.

If you don't have a modern pdaf body, you will get passable speeds outside with a wide aperture, but indoors will be nothing but hunting. Low light will be unusable.
>>
>>2974988
> Only the a7ii, a7rii, a6300, and a6500 support pdaf.
But the A6000 as a camera has a 179 point PDAF?

> A new adapter was just released by metabones that supports pdaf autofocus speeds
Didn't know about that one yet.
>>
>>2974987
Do you honestly think getting a new body will improve anything? You already have a perfectly good camera, expand on that.
If you have gadget fever then get the new body, sure but you will regret it soon when you realize it didn't improve anything.
I'm still saying get a good lens instead.
>>
>>2974990
>But the A6000 as a camera has a 179 point PDAF?

It's pdaf isn't open to third parties like the later models.

I am unsure if it is just a firmware thing, or something that physically prevents it.

>Didn't know about that one yet.

It released like this month.
>>
>>2974987
> I'll probably give the A6000 a shot since it's fairly cheap.
Sure. While I'm not too sure about the AF/IS enabled adapters' compatibility, it's definitely a pretty nice camera with native lenses, as far as APS-C cameras are concerned.
>>
Hey bois a quick question. I'm thinking of buying a nikon d3400 to start with photography, am I doing a mistake? Also I want some fish eye lenses and lenses for low light, where do I go to educate myself on what to pick.
>>
>apsc
>samyang 12mm
>want to get a filter holder
>not recommended for below 20mm else vignetting

It does have a filter thread, should I just go regular filters for it?

Anyone have experience with going this wide with a filter holder?
>>
>>2974996
> D3400
It could be fine for you, but it has nothing to do with being a beginner.

You could already use a better camera like everyone else (including me) who prefers that.

> fisheye lens
A Samyang perhaps? I find their stereographic fisheye lenses in particular quite useful.

> low light lenses
Get a different (full-frame) camera or use a portable flash.
>>
>>2974991
No, it won't make me a better photographer but it will make me shoot more since I can just put it in my jacket and have it with me all the time. It also has features I want that my D3200 doesn't have like 60FPS recording in 1080p.
>>
>>2974351

>http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/products/SAL85F28/

Cheap enough to be disposable, autofocuses with either adapter, and pretty damn good optically.
>>
>>2974977
Yes.

But it is only reliable with a new body. a6000 will be pretty bad.
>>
>>2974999
Tape your filter to the lens. Also only use fixed ND's, variable ND's will fuck you over if you use them.

I wish I could help you more, but I only use my 12mm occasionally.
>>
>>2974999
Get an UWA filter holder and the accompanying square thin filters.
LEE and Cokin has them.
>>
Thinking about getting a Sony A6000, will the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 with the Sony mount work with it without an adapter? Or do they only work on Sony DSLRs?
>>
Hey /p/, I got have a D3300, and I was looking at upgrading past my kit lens. So like a idiot I bought a Nikkor 35mm 1.8f prime lens on sale.

It seemed really hard to get a decent focus on anything, and when I tried to do subject based shooting it didn't seem sharp. I know I suck at taking photos, so I could just not be doing the lens justice, but I had enough lighting, and a fast shutter speed (1/250).

Am I just stupid for using that lens for that purpose, or do I need to just work on taking photos that don't suck? It was a decent sale 160 for it, but I'm tempted to just box it back up and return it.
>>
Should I sell my D7100 with 35/50 1.8 primes for an X100t? Finding it to be a hassle to carry all this shit around.
>>
>>2975174
> will the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8 with the Sony mount work with it without an adapter? Or do they only work on Sony DSLRs?
It's a Sony Minolta A-mount lens.

it won't work on the newer Sony E-mount without an adapter.

>>2975180
I'd just get a bag / backpack, but if you can't be arsed, then perhaps get a P&S like that. Though I'd suggest a RX100 V or something.
>>
>>2975180
>an X100t?
Not that I'm recommending this purchase, just saying that if you were serious about it then to hold off a bit because the x100f will be out in a few months so the price of the T should drop.
>>
File: YI-M1-1.jpg (99KB, 700x182px) Image search: [Google]
YI-M1-1.jpg
99KB, 700x182px
>>2973501
So M1 just got reviewed by dpreview.

>Touchscreen UI is shit
>AF is subpar
>AF-C is unusable (though it's pretty bad on lolympus too), and so is MF on the 45mm
>No image stabilization
>4K video increases crop to 3x and is always shot wide open with no manual control

Outside of technical uses where only the sensor matters and UX is irrelevant, I don't see why anyone would want this thing unless it gets massive firmware updates or price cuts.

Also top kek at "SUPER PROFESSIONAL GUIDE" with twitter hashtags.
>>
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an a6300, a Sony 18-105 f4 and a 70-200 f4. Should I get a Canon USM (non is) and a metabones adapter for $998 or an open box Sony for $1200? I don't think OSS is going to be helpful if I'm shooting at 1/1000 shutter speed. I also heard that the metabones has great AF with the Canon, and I will be able to use other ef lenses in the future. Is the Sony worth the extra $200?
>>
>>2975239
Get the Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD instead. Costs less than 3rd of the f/4 and crazy sharp. Sealed too but you will need a sealed body to have a complete sealed system.
>>
>>2975244
Looked at that, isn't in e mount and isn't what I'm really looking for. I like the f4 because it's lighter.
>>
>>2975232

>>https://youtu.be/KXSwhCqfin0

Goddamn is the video pig disgusting
>>
New to actual photography here:

I know that the Panasonic GH2 was the hot item a few years ago and even some films were shot on it because of custom firmware support

Is it still a good buy? there's lots floating around for less than $400
>>
>>2975255
That's nauseating. What's the point of having 4K and best-in-class sensor when the video is unusable? There is no excuse not to have some kind of stabilization in 2016.
>>
>>2975260

I'm gonna be using mine until it croaks or I feel like shelling out for the GH5. With driftwood installed and as long as the lighting isn't shit you'll get some footage that still looks great today.

And crucify me if you will, it's one of the most "filmy" looking dslrs.
>>
Are monopods a meme? Would they actually help when doing walk about wildlife photography or just get in the way?
>>
>>2975301
Monopods help, but not as much as tripods.

Better carry a tripod (maybe one that can be converted to a monopod).
>>
>>2975314
Any recomendations?
>>
>>2975145
>>2975151
I'll look into those filters, otherwise I'm going to have to diy that shit.
>>
>>2975323
E302C or Q666C or P303C or Q999C off Aliexpress.

One of the Sirui NX series, or perhaps a Benro Go series (there are a lot of aluminum & carbon models).
>>
>>2975301
depends on lens. If you shoot long heavy lenses and like to move it's not a meme, but if you have something light then it is. Tripods are worse to move around, but if you shoot more statically, then it is better way to go.
That's my two cents.
>>
>>2975301
Small weight penalty for something that might be useful when shooting 600mm lenses. I'd take one, personally.

Much more useful for sports, where you can't take up too much space, and you can't handhold a 600mm FF lens all day.
>>
File: 1474534012383.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1474534012383.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>tfw live in NY and can go to BH or Adorama to browse gear

In other news, bought pic related today. 10/10
>>
>>2975232
>expecting a $350 camera to be good
>>
>>2975384

The a6000 is $350 and it is pretty good.
>>
>>2975383

>that tacky looking strap

I know it is probably useful as fuck, but I can't make myself use it.

Just stands out way too much. I try to stay low key as much as possible.
>>
File: 1479059058551.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1479059058551.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
can someone please post the youtube link of the sony continuous focus tracking a flying seagull?

Camera ModelNexus 5
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Lens Aperturef/2.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Image Height2448
Image Width3264
Focal Length3.97 mm
FlashFlash
Exposure Time1/60 sec
ISO Speed Rating128
F-Numberf/2.4
>>
>>2974969
but you dont need a fucking mirror for astro
>>
File: grumpychi.png (105KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
grumpychi.png
105KB, 300x300px
>>2975480
>all these vivitars
>>
>>2975480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4SwEuBGLI
?
>>
>>2975487
the 28mm f2.5 is nice, made by Kiron, and seems almost as sharp as the Canon 28mm f2.8. the 28mm f2.0 combined with my speed booster is only sharp in the center, everything else is a complete blur. its actually kinda cool
>>
>>2975490
>>2975480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G98HfUIY9D8
>>
>>2974935
what are some decent beginner p&s film cam's?
>>
File: 20161104_184824.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161104_184824.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC ($1,100)

or

Sigma 12-24mm f/4 ART ($1,400)

Looking to replace my old Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM II mostly because it's too soft, especially towards the edge of the frame.

Do a lot of nightclub and landscape photography so I prefer to go as wide as possible, without wanting to sacrifice image quality.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-N910G
Camera SoftwareN910GDTS1DPH5
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image Width5312
Image Height2988
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2016:11:04 18:48:24
Exposure Time1/233 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating40
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness6.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.80 mm
Image Width5312
Image Height2988
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDH16USHH04SA
>>
>>2975568
Fuck off ray
>>
>>2974625
I see, thanks.
>>
What are some good alternatives to an 80d? Considering the canon but wouldn't mind looking at something smaller.
>>
>>2975588
Canon M5 to stay Canon
Sony A7 to stay full frame

Sony A7 series are only full frame MILCs (well not counting Leicas and shit)
>>
>>2975484
But you need a good software interface for such specialized tethering and only Canon and Nikon has that.
Also Canon 6Da and Nikon D810A, no other manufacturer makes factory designed astronomy focused cameras.
>>
>>2975629
*DSLRs
Obviously there are lots of manufacturers make astronomy oriented thermal stabilized CCD detectors.
>>
What are some good 35mm lens for athe nikon dx ? And why /p/eople say kit lens are so shit?
>>
>>2974712
I got a D3100, and then upgraded to a D7100.
D5x00 is pretty worthless, since you can get used D7x00 for pretty much the same price, with much better features.
>>
>>2975656
Kit lens are shit because they are the bottom of the barrel with cheap everything including the optics. With that said I'd say the new Nikon kit lenses are the best out of all the kit lenses.
Regarding the 35mm, there is the newer 35/1.8G DX or the cheaper 35/2 AF-D. Depends on what body you are going to use it, the D3xxx/D5xxx don't have the screwdrive AF so you can only use the new DX lens. If D7xxx series or D90 then you can use the older AF-D with the screwdrive AF.
>>
File: Canon_80D.jpg (68KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
Canon_80D.jpg
68KB, 675x450px
I was planning on Upgrading from a Rebel T3 to a 80D, body only. Or should I save some money and just pick up a 70D? I mostly shoot Urban or or macro. Opinions plz
>>
>>2975665
The 70D will be just fine. Get a good flash from the money you saved.
>>
>>2975666
*maybe a macro lighting setup
>>
>>2975588
A6000-A6500
>>
>>2975629
you dont need a mirror for astro
you dont need a flash for astro

60da is garbage
>>
File: 17402_1_.jpg (255KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
17402_1_.jpg
255KB, 900x900px
>>2975682
>you dont need a mirror for astro
How about you don't know shit about anything?
Check out www.otelescope.com what cameras are supported?
That's right, Canon and Nikon.
Yet again, you don't know shit and just yap around shilling your brand or against other brands. Fuck off.

Hmm, better yet, why not contact the new administration on 4chan and tell them to rat you out to the tax agency for unlicensed marketing? I bet they will do it if they get the smallest amount of reward, dear moopco. It will be a tremendous improvement in the site image too.
>>
>>2975687
if canon wasnt retarded they would have made one of their mirrorless for astro, not a gay ass 60d
>>
>>2975749
The 60Da is the cheap version of their 6Da.
>>
Wish olympus would make a fixed lens camera to compete with the x100t or w/e
>>
What entry level photo editing monitor do you recommend? Most buying guides seems to recommend this but I've heard that the "pre-calibrated ∆E <5 for industry-leading color accuracy" isn't actually that good and that less than 1 is what's considered good.

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/PA248Q/
>>
>>2975940
I use a cheap used 24'' Dell Pro monitor. It is TN panel but it is good quality, wide view angle, decent black. Did I mention cheap?
Also hobby use only.
>>
>>2975940
Factory calibration means jack shit after 2 months of use.

It's like choosing a car based on the fuel level.
>>
I'm thinking about buying an A6000, and I've seen people complaining about the battery life. Since it charges via micro USB, can't you just charge it with a regular power bank for phones when you're out and about?
>>
>>2975940
Just any IPS will do.

What do you care about full color accuracy for hobby use...?

Just about everyone who will ever watch your images will do it on a random uncalibrated TN/IPS and you can fix your (presumably quite few) prints to your liking with one-two reprints and then just remembering the settings.
>>
>>2975568
Rent both and see which suits your needs better.
>>
>>2975967
> I've seen people complaining about the battery life
It's not great, but just about every P&S is like that too, and the batteries are quite small and easy. Cheap too if you buy 3rd party.

> Since it charges via micro USB, can't you just charge it with a regular power bank for phones when you're out and about?
Yep, you can, but before the A6300 or A6500 (don't remember which) you can't charge and shoot at the same time. The A6000 definitely can't shoot as long as the power pack is attached to it.

What you CAN do is get an external charger together with 2 batteries for like $20 off ali that then charges by USB.
>>
>>2975966
So that means the display will be just fine if I calibrate it myself?

>>2975969
True, I've been thinking about that too, that people will watch it on uncalibrated screens, but I want to have some sort of standards on my pictures and learn more about post processing and colors, so I might buy something at least somewhat decent if I'm going to upgrade.
>>
>>2975967
>charge it with a regular power bank for phones

How is that better than just swapping batteries?

If battery life is really important to you buy a DSLR.
The optical viewfinder means you don't waste batteries when framing your shots.
>>
>>2975975
>So that means the display will be just fine if I calibrate it myself?

If you calibrate yourself it will be calibrated.

If you rely on factory calibration it will be calibrated for a month or two, and then drift all over the place.

If you calibrate a shit screen you'll have a calibrated shit screen.
>>
>>2975977
It's not important to me, I already have a DSLR but I value portability over the extra battery life which is why I'm going to go mirrorless, I'm just wondering if it's possible. I'll probably just buy an extra battery anyways.
>>
>>2975980
>portable
>lugging around a giant battery pack.
>>
>>2975983
>Giant

My 10k mAh power bank is smaller than my phone and only about 50% bigger than the battery to my DSLR
>>
>>2975975
> but I want to have some sort of standards on my pictures
Spend on a better camera or lens or even software until you have enough gear and can't think about anything better to buy than a calibrated screen with a calibration device.

Until then an IPS screen is a close enough approximation. It really is.

> so I might buy something at least somewhat decent if I'm going to upgrade
The price difference is pretty huge, so I'm not really agreeing.

But if you *really* must have your color calibrated Eizo or whatever, so be it. Not my money.

Just saying it's near meaningless for home use if you ask me. It's a thing for professionals so they can have photos for, say, product brochures look even and comparable (that they're then often still printed with crap printers in crap quality and everyone would prefer my grandma's JPEG edited with Picasa and printed on a Canon Pixma is another thing - it's just that the editor didn't have a hard time editing and didn't complain to his boss, THAT's what counts).
>>
>>2975992
The monitor I linked in my first post costs $320, that's about as low as you can go for an IPS monitor without getting dogshit in a box to your doorstep.
>>
>>2975997
Either isn't a fully color calibrated workflow though, but what I suggested. Just rolli with the rough approximation.

PS: The last one I got locally was some clearly not fully accurate Benq at $210. Works fine for dogshit in a box anyhow.
>>
If I had to buy one camera and one lens or a one camera with a fixed lens, which one should it be?
I really cannot be bothered to carry more than one lens.
Also any tripod suggestions for under $200
>>
Getting a new lens for Christmas. I have a Nikon d3200 and cant decide which lens to get, the 35 or the 50 mm one. Im focused on landscape and portraits. Help me /p/ bros
>>
>>2976003
35,I have the D3200 with that one and it's going to be more versatile on a crop sensor than the 50 and works just fine for portraits
>>
>>2976002
I like the E-mount cameras. Dunno if your budget is more like an a6000, a6500 or A7 II / A7R II.

The lens will depend on what you want to shoot.

I personally am quite comfy with either a 12mm f/2 or a 30mm f/1.4 on the A6000 most of the time.

> Also any tripod suggestions for under $200
See >>2975358
>>
>>2976004
What about landscape? Does it surpass the 50mm about landscape?
>>
>>2976003
35 if you have to ask.

50 is already troublesome to use in a lot of locations because of the pretty narrow already FoV.
>>
>>2976007
For that, I'd more get a 10-20mm -ish prime. Or a zoom that performs well at that setting.

Landscapes are usually better really rather wide, and you probably don't want to process hundreds of shots in Hugin.
>>
File: 22222.jpg (2MB, 1505x1800px) Image search: [Google]
22222.jpg
2MB, 1505x1800px
>>2975687
>How about you don't know shit about anything?
>you don't know shit and just yap around shilling your brand or against other brands

funny because here is a pic of my work station literally at fucking Canon

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T1i
Serial Number0420100499
Image Created2013:12:26 21:35:42
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating12800
Lens Aperturef/9.9
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length38.00 mm
Image Width1505
Image Height1800
>>
>>2976008
Well I'm limited to these 2 lenses since they're the cheapest and I can't afford it to get a more expensive lens. From what I've been reading, the 35 mm is better, it even works well for landscape.
>>
>>2976011
And this is why Canon service sucks. They ask too much for mundane simple things and employ half-trained monkeys who can't even clean up their desk before they sit down to work!
And one wonders why does the camera freshly returned from the service have more dust and pubic hair than before.
>>
>>2975973
>>2975967

Someone on reddit did battery life tests.

No matter how many pixtures were taken (varied from 300 to 900) the battery lasted around 6 hours of on time.

Thankfully, the boot up from stand by mode is instant, so you can go a full day on that in most situations.
>>
>>2976011
That is not a workstation at Canon.

Prove me wrong, then ask me how I know..
>>
File: guess2.jpg (675KB, 768x1152px) Image search: [Google]
guess2.jpg
675KB, 768x1152px
>>2976035
then what is it?

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number0420100499
Image Created2016:10:24 18:23:43
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length17.00 mm
Image Width768
Image Height1152
>>
File: guess6.jpg (798KB, 768x1152px) Image search: [Google]
guess6.jpg
798KB, 768x1152px
>>2976035
>>2976043
notice the stack of canon batteries, the all canon everything...

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number0420100499
Image Created2016:10:24 18:31:39
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
ISO Speed Rating12800
Lens Aperturef/9.9
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length38.00 mm
Image Width768
Image Height1152
>>
File: ap07.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
ap07.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>2976035

Equipment MakeCanon
Serial Number0420100499
Image Created2015:04:12 10:38:39
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length17.00 mm
Image Width2000
Image Height3000
>>
File: IMG_8888s.jpg (932KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8888s.jpg
932KB, 1536x1024px
no idea why i was running such a high iso

Equipment MakeCanon
Lens Size17.00 - 85.00 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.1
Serial Number0420100499
Lens NameEF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:12:01 18:54:17
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/10.0
ISO Speed Rating12800
Lens Aperturef/9.9
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width1536
Image Height1024
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure ModeTv-Priority
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed384
Color Matrix129
>>
File: IMG_9952.jpg (655KB, 1936x1288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9952.jpg
655KB, 1936x1288px
corrosion

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 40D
Serial Number1520813382
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Image Created2007:02:12 07:15:20
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1936
Image Height1288
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Exposure ModeProgram
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeSpot
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeSmall
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeExternal Flash
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed212
Color Matrix129
>>
File: IMG_9961.jpg (731KB, 1936x1288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9961.jpg
731KB, 1936x1288px
>>2976051
more corrosion

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 40D
Serial Number1520813382
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Image Created2007:02:12 07:17:22
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/9.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Image Width1936
Image Height1288
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeSpot
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeSmall
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeExternal Flash
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed212
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2976052
How do you clean such things? Or do you just replace the cables?
>>
>>2976050
f10...this is a cool shot except for the noise and accuwipe
>>
>>2976056
a lot of techs will BER (beyond economical repair) for corrosion. corrosion has a way of hiding places, so you may put a lot of effort into a repair only to have the customer send it back in a month due to some unseen corrosion spreading

that said, minor corrosion can be cleaned off with alcohol, otherwise the corroded parts get replaced *if* the tech decides to not to BER it
>>
>>2976065
what percentage of the cost of the production of the camera is BER?
>>
>>2976066
i dont know about production costs, but sum of all the parts exceeds 100%. a full frame image sensor alone can be over $1000. generally BER means it would be cheaper to purchase a replacement camera/ lens than it would be to repair.

we do have guidelines; i think if repair costs exceed like 70 or 80% of value, the technician is not generally required to repair it.
>>
>>2975506
>>2975506
bump for good recs.
>>
>>2976073
There may still be a point to medium or large format film, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want...?

Just skip film and go straight for a good current digital camera. It's cheaper (unless you don't use the camera) and better in all sorts of ways.
>>
>>2976075
how about medium format digital?
>>
>>2976080
Has downsides where film might still be better.

Apart from the price tag difference which should be quite significant until you shoot a good amount, you can't shoot fast at all with most digital MF cameras that I've seen.
>>
a6000. Just how bad is the kit lens? I love the body, but I'm not 100% set on buying it because sony lenses are expensive and lacking in selection.
>>
>>2976185
what lens is it?
>>
>>2976185

16-50?

It is not trash, it just does not excel at anything. The only good thing about it is that it is small.

Mediocre in just about every way.

Check out this review for an idea:

>http://www.kurtmunger.com/sony_nex_pz_16_50mmid344.html
>>
>>2976186
sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 oss
>>
New Thread

>>2976245
>>2976245
>>
>>2976185
>sony lenses are expensive and lacking in selection
People say that "no lenses" has been fixed. Are they referring to the GM 2.8 lenses? Because as a hobbyist I think the selection is still largely shit
>>
>>2976260
sony has the largest selection of adapters for vintage lenses
>>
>>2976260

Their APS-C line is still a little lacking, but far from bare.

Fullframe is way more filled out, but also a little more pricey. And when I say pricey that is before you start to look into the outrageously priced (but also outrageously good) GM lenses.
>>
>>2976263
>>2976271
Delusions is a nasty drug
>>
Just got my Canon 80D

Setting up back button af, I seem to be loosing the touch to focus in live view? How do I reenable that?
>>
>>2976260
Sony haven't hidden that they want you to upgrade to full frame eventually. At current deprecation the a7ii will be under $1000 new within a year.

There's plenty of affordable options, the 28 and nifty fifty are cheap as chips, the 35 2.8 is affordable, the sigma mc-11 works incredibly well on the right body (a6500 and mc-11 focus better/faster than everything canon do except the 1d range.).

If you must stick with crop, sigma tied up most of the sales to people looking for affordable + high quality with the dn range.

Sony have said they've got a cheap 85 1.8 and 20mm f2.8 coming soon, which really just leaves people wanting a 135mm, on both the low and high end of budgets.
>>
>>2976304
>Sony have said they've got a cheap 85 1.8 and 20mm f2.8 coming soon

First I have heard of that.

I just bought an 85mm a-mount too.
>>
>switched from canon to sony
>bought a commlite canon->sony e adapter with AF
>camera arrives
>try out the canon AF lenses
>hunting 99% of the time

Oh well.

Considering getting a 70-200/2.8 in sony e mount. Are there any other than sonys?
>>
>>2976328
>another anon falls for the sony meme
silly boy
>>
>>2976260
There are a *lot* of great prime lenses. There are some good to great zoom lenses.

And you can use a huge number of lenses on adapters if you want third party zooms.

> Are they referring to the GM 2.8 lenses?
Quite a few surely are. The lens is getting pricey, but many hobbyists and professionals could easily afford five+ of these a year, and they only need one.
>>
>>2976329
The fools are the ones who buy canon these days.

The 5dmk4 was the final nail in the coffin for me, shitting on video.

Sony has really excelled these past years. And I'm going to have a lot of fun with my a6300.
>>
>>2976328

Let me guess.

You bought an a6000?
>>
>>2976328

>commlite adapter

That is what you get for cheaping out and buying an adapter that doesn't support pdaf.
>>
>>2976328
For some lenses, only the MC-11 and Metabones adapter are reliable. Might be worth trying these out with your glass in a store.

> Are there any other than sonys?
f/2.8? No.

But you can get a f/4 and the APS-C 55-210 and such if you want to save money.

Personally I'd get the 70-200 f/2.8 GM anyhow. It's good glass, and I prefer it to the Canon / Nikon / Tamron / Sigma / ... alternatives.
>>
>>2976337 (cont'd)
Agreed, >>2976334 might also be an explanation.

>>2976335
Supports PDAF on some bodies. Like can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/nnx7IBDj52o?t=2m

But from what I know, it's one of the slowest, most hesitant / least reliable adapters overall. Personally I wouldn't buy it.
>>
>>2976341
Also, here is the difference between the a6000 and the A6300 (one of the handful of Sony cameras where the adapters work well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylY4WovpJf4
>>
>>2976334
>>2976341
>>2976337
>>2976335
A6300. And I don't have any top quality canon lenses with AF, it didn't justify the prices of the other adapters. Granted, I haven't tested the canon lenses in bright light, just in my dim lit apartment.

Really? No other 2.8 in that range? I'll have to settle with the f4 then I guess.
>>
>>2976350

The issue is the adapter, not the camera.

Get a solid adapter like the MC-11 or Metabones IV and you will be set.

Personally, I used the MC-11 with a Canon 70-200 in a dimly lit shot and it worked perfectly.
>>
>>2976350
> I don't have any top quality canon lenses with AF, it didn't justify the prices of the other adapters
Is your Canon glass really that cheap?

The MC-11 shouldn't cost more than a pretty cheap Canon lens, and even the Metabones doesn't cost more than a mediocre Canon lens.

> Granted, I haven't tested the canon lenses in bright light, just in my dim lit apartment.
Shouldn't make a very huge difference unless it was very dim.

> Really? No other 2.8 in that range?
No, but people of course adapt Tamron / Sigma / Canon lenses - that'd be the "obvious" thing to do if you are not buying the 2.8 GM, which finally gave us some amazing lighter weight high resolution glass.

> I'll have to settle with the f4 then I guess.
You could settle with the cheap APS-C 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3. If you want cheap, that one is probably the right option.
>>
>>2976276
sony has the largest selection of adapters for vintage lenses. this is a fact. if you claim otherwise, you are wrong
>>
>>2976304
are there any chinese mf lenses for sony ff?
>>
>>2976357
Yup.

Neewer / Meike / Mitakon Zhongyi / Venus Optics have some I think.

Only some of Venus' lenses are optically high quality, though. Most of the others are bad (and inexpensive) to mediocre.
>>
>>2976353
Anon asked what camera.

Sure, if I am going serious with other mount lenses, I'll get a proper adapter.

>>2976355
The AF glass, yes. I got a lot of samyang glasses which was the main reason I got an adapter to sony e, so I'm keeping those.
>>
>>2976360
> The AF glass, yes. I got a lot of samyang glasses which was the main reason I got an adapter to sony e, so I'm keeping those.
Makes sense.

Well, it is still worth considering whether you wouldn't prefer adapting a 70-200 f/2.8 on an actually decent adapter if you don't want the GM, or the 55-210 f/4.5-6.3 for APS-C.

With a Tamron or Sigma that and the adapter should be about the same price as a 70-200 f/4, and quite possibly fix the AF issues on your cheaper glass, too.
>>
>>2976362
I am really interested in getting canons tele lenses in the future, so I thought about getting the better adapter but right now I can't justify it. By then there might be newer versions of the adapter.

I'm either selling my old canon and the AF lenses or giving it away. So it will be purely for my a6300.
>>
>>2976359
any thoughts on Zonlai? thinking about getting one for my Fuji
>>
>>2976577
Never heard of them. Not that I'd know all Chinese companies, eh.
>>
>>2976577

Pretty terrible.

Apparently the e-mount version is all metal and can actually shock you through shorting the data/power contact pins.

That said, optically it has some major distortion, and medium level purple fringing. , and isn't really sharp on any sensor above 12 mp.
>>
Hey! I'm a beginer, I just took photography as a hobby like 1 month ago, i'm currently using an analog Zenit 12xp, but now that christmas is coming i'm planning on getting myself a DSLR.
I found online some pretty good second hand Canon 60D or what do you guys recomend me to get?
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.