[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gear/ - Gear Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 47

File: Poorfags mirin'.jpg (159KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Poorfags mirin'.jpg
159KB, 960x640px
Richfag edition (no Pentax allowed)

If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear or wondering about getting into photography, post it in this thread.

Do not attempt to make a new thread for your new Alpa, broken glass, and being new.
No pointless (brand) arguments and dickwaving allowed! You have been warned!

I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here!

And don't forget, be polite!

Previous thread: >>2883035
>>
pentacks will bring balance to the gearthreads

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX8
Camera SoftwareVer.1.0
PhotographerPicasa
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)66 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2016:02:17 14:00:44
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length33.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3920
Image Height3522
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Unique Image ID958dcfa1c2a1c5323b05e207c336ef1a
Image QualityFine
White BalanceAuto
Focus ModeUnknown
Spot ModeUnknown
Image StabilizerUnknown
Macro ModeNormal
Shooting ModeProgram
AudioNo
Flash Bias0.00 EV
Color EffectOff
ContrastLow
Noise ReductionStandard
>>
File: camera.jpg (44KB, 800x529px) Image search: [Google]
camera.jpg
44KB, 800x529px
considering buying a 4x5 technical camera like a Horseman HD or Wista SP. does anyone have any experience with these and a suggestion as to what may be best?
>>
File: kai.jpg (164KB, 1200x665px) Image search: [Google]
kai.jpg
164KB, 1200x665px
>>2888773
>And don't forget, be polite!

your alpa a shit

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Image Width1200
Image Height665
>>
>>2888791
That is not a technical camera, it is a field camera.
They are all professional tools, and as such there are few awful choices. Check that the models you're looking at have the features you require, and then buy on condition, not price.
A useful feature to check before making your choice is whether or not the camera will fold up with a lense attached.
A much bigger decision will be the quality and ease of use of your tripod and head.
>>
ive been looking to buy a budget point and click film camera. do you guys have any suggestions?
>>
>>2888804
Anything Sony desu
>>
>>2888804
Lolympus
>>
>>2888773
Technically a nice camera if the stars align and you can find a use case for it, I've handled one and the build quality is outrageously good, but it wasn't for me. Even as far as high-end cameras go, it's still not for most people, unless you shoot landscape and arch exclusively.

>>2888798
Oh shit I watched that episode, and it was cringe all the way through, mainly because Kai had a $50K+ camera mounted on a $50 tripod near some cliffs; and secondly because he had no fucking idea how to use it.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 1200x900px
I'm considering buying the 28mm lux for everyday photography instead of using my 35mm. Do you guys think they're too similar? The reason I'm not interested in the 24mm lux is because the 28mm lux is brand new and not that much bigger than my 35. I used to use my 50mm lens but fell in love with 35 and maybe I'll fall in love with 28.

Image Width1200
Image Height900
>>
>>2888864
Why not just get the Zeiss 24 or 25mm or such?

Should be better glass anyhow.
>>
>>2888843
>Lolympus
well meme'd
>>
>>2888914
This whole thred is an autostic meme
>>
Will will the JPGs out of the camera on a Leica M8 compare with that from a X100T?

Are Leicas only recommended for people who do lots of Post-processing?
>>
>>2888946
>not shooting RAW
>>
File: 1418599370066.jpg (195KB, 950x792px) Image search: [Google]
1418599370066.jpg
195KB, 950x792px
I have fifteen hundred USD, I've been using a Canon T3 since 2014, I have 3 lenses, I know exactly what I want in a camera, and I want to know why I shouldn't buy a 7D Mk II.

I want good, fast and intelligent autofocus, I want easily controlled focus points - like with a focus nub. I want very good high iso performance. I want good low light focus acquirement. I want >5FPS. I want instant access to aperture, exposure, and shutter speed without toggle buttons. I want at least 10-11 stops of dynamic range in the raw files.

I've been considering jumping ship to Fuji because their cameras have everything I want. Why shouldn't I, if the above list is practically all of my requirements? Battery life is irrelevant to me so long as I can consistently get 200+ shots on a charge. I can carry more batteries.

I'm basically looking for a 5k+ USD camera in terms of ease and speed of use for around 1500 USD. The 7D Mk II fits most of those, while as far as I can see the Xpro 2 and the soon to be XT-2 have all of that, but I'm apprehensive about new camera systems, like Fuji's X. I'm also a lazy bum and don't want to hassle with selling the stuff I already have. I understand that Canon should be announcing their higher end cameras soon, but I don't give enough of a shit to wait that long if current cameras have what I want.

I think my expectations are far too low because I've had such a shit camera to learn with. I'm slightly scared of not getting enough improvement for spending that much money. I know that practically any camera will be an improvement.
>>
>>2888953
I just haven't had the need so far with my FUjifilm and I'm not that keen on starting (or learning to edit).
>>
>>2888962
Lightroom.

Lightroom is essential. It's the best library management. It also makes editing large amounts of photos incredibly easy and fast. It can be as simple as moving sliders to find what you want. You can set it up to apply any amount of effects you want on import to every picutre, so I can have pictures look exactly the way I want on import. I can also change presets with 2 clicks on any number of pictures I want, and I can sync even the most minute of changes to any number of pictures. I rarely ever use photoshop now.

Download Lightroom and give it a try for a few days.
>>
>>2888963
I do use Lightroom for straighten and exposure but that's about it.
I just edit the JPGs though....
>>
>>2888966
I used to as well. You'll regret it, but not that much since your pictures probably aren't any good anyways.

You're not in bad hands though. Fuji has the best jpg aside from Nikon.

Don't use an ellipsis. It shows your age.
>>
>>2888968
He's not making mistakes you're just a cuckold to consensus.

If you're only straightening horizons and cloning dust you don't need to shoot raw.
>>
>>2888969
lol
>>
Body
- Canon EOS 6D

Lenses
- Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
- Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM II
- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD
- Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC USD

Flash
- Canon Speedlite 90EX
- Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Tripod
- Vanguard Espod CX 204

What's missing from my kit /p/?
>>
>>2888968
Shows my age as in old or young?
The JPGs are perfect in my eyes and I'm happy with them as I generally try to minimise PP.

So will Leica JPGs be a lot worse than my Fuji?
>>
>>2888977
Not so much your age, but mostly your stale baitfaggotry. Go back to /b/, /b/rah.
>>
>>2888956
It sounds like you dont actually know what you want. If you actually wanted and needed a brick shithouse of a camera with top of the line autofocus, you'd already have bought the 7D2. What it really sounds like you want is to play with new toys. Buy the 7D2 and your lens of choice, and enjoy well developed ergonomics, immediate response, and nearly unrivalled lens selection. Or buy the Fuji system, and enjoy the tactility of the controls, the lack of worry about processing photos, and some nifty mirrorless tools.

But don't pretend the X-T2 is going to replace the 7D2 for what it was designed for: high speed, confident continuous autofocus shooting with every single control at your finger tip for well over 1000 shots.

>>2888974
A modern sensor and a noose.
>>
>>2888966
editing a jpg instead of raw is bad ONLY if you plan on creating big physical copies of said photograph. editing jpeg created cumulative file deterioration

a better way to look at it is if you watch a youtube vid do you switch to HD or watch the 240p version? depends on the content I would imagine
>>
>>2888985
No, I don't know what I want. The T3 is a truly basic camera with poor technical quality even for its time. I don't get paid for my pictures, I do them to give me a reason to live, as a personal artistic expression.
What I really want is for my failures to be my own, not my camera's. Too often I miss shots because of slow autofocus, or can't even shoot because going above 1600 ISO makes the image useless, and I can't focus manually because the viewfinder is too small. I just need a camera that can keep up with me, but I don't know what to expect from a camera. I've shot around 20k shots on my T3.

Thanks for your help.
>>
The video thread is slow.
Would a 25mm 1.4 Panasonic be a good addition to my 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 Panasonic? I use a Panasonic G7
I mainly do video, documentary and unscripted material, going on festivals etc.
Especially in dark environments the lens starts to show its weakness. I recently forced myself to only shoot in 18, 25 and 35mm (36,50 and 70mm equivalent) But I sometimes enjoy zooming all the way in from afar to get the blurry background effect.
I'm afraid that lack of Power OIS on the 25mm Samayang could make my footage too shaky (I'm working mostly on a shoulder rig).
Other options for good automatic 25mm lenses?
>>
File: zoom zoom.jpg (89KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
zoom zoom.jpg
89KB, 600x800px
Since managed to dug way back here again... Going with Nikons 24mm 2.8 af-d and ''fast'' 50mm 1.8 prime lens at the moment...

I have opportunity to get the 28-300mm 3.5-5.6 vr while trading in some of my older junk I don't use anymore.

So is the nikons 28-300mm worth the effort? First actual >135mm zoom for me cause M.J. Fox hands havent really done me any good with longer distances shooting.. anybody with any opinions or insight on these things?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 50D
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.7
Serial Number1630711983
Lens NameEF50mm f/1.4 USM
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:10:23 17:17:12
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width600
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeCenter-Weighted
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationHigh
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceManual Temperature
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed192
Color Matrix34
Color Temperature2900 K
>>
>>2888995
Just an additional info:
There's a panasonic 25mm with 1.7 for around 170-180€ new, while the cheapest 25mm 1.4 I can find is 400€ used.
It doesnt seem like a big doeal, one stop for an almost tripled price.
Is that worth it?
Or should I get with the slightly cheaper and invest in more gear?
>>
>>2888995
>>2889017
So you want it for dark scenarios; how dark?

I would imagine environments like that could do better with a wider fast lens.
>>
>>2889018
Dusk or night with few open lightsources like torches.
Also, sometimes I already get a slight noise in the shadows, so i want to go down from ISO800 to ISO400 or more.
I can only shoot in ISO100/200 in bright daylight. Even indoors is already slightly dimm.
>>
>>2889023
Can you invest in a decent handheld or camera mounted light?
>>
>>2889025
I have 2 of those super cheap Neweer 160 LED lights that I sometimes use on my rig. It doesn't reach far but it is pretty damn bright in a 2-7m distance.
Sometimes I use the second one as a fill light in a 45° offset degree.
I wouldn't know in what to invest in a light since I don't know what makes good. Many more expensive lights arent much more bright, just a bit sturdier and have better material/power consumption.
Then Again, lights haven't been my main investment point. i try to get primary quality factors like Sound Recorder, Mix and Shoulder rig first.
>>
>>2889026
What kind of video do you usually shoot? Interviews?

I don't think you need another lens if that's mostly why you need better low light performance. You'd want to light your subjects for interviews anyways.

If you need a straight up faster lens, I would refine my search to either wide angle or slight telephoto. If I were to invest in a fast normal, I would go for a really ridiculously fast one. I assume 25mm is normal for that camera.
>>
Which Leica should I get? A M4-P, or an M4-2?
>>
>>2889033
If you're going to overpay for muh German brand name anyway then why get the second rate Canadian models? The M3 is the best Leica, the M2 and M6 are also maybe worth buying if you need the extra framelines or built-in meter. They're also the most in-demand models which makes it easier to sell them off later if you realize rangefinders aren't for you.

I had an M3, it was easy to find one in pretty good user condition and it was a great camera and then it was easy to sell it for the same price a year later.
>>
>>2889033
in Leicas the frame isnt as important as lenses, at least in my opinion... save bit money on frame, get bit better lense in the tradeoff... its up to you really, flip a coin if its only between those 2 cameras...
>>
>>2889043
also I preferred the M4 for some reason
>>
>>2889043
>in Leicas the frame isnt as important as lenses

Is this true for rangefinders in general? I wanted to pick up a 40mm lens, but I always wonder if it'll work out trying to guess composition with 35mm or 50mm lines
>>
>>2888995
Invest in a low light camera like the Sony A7s or A7s mark II.

Best camera for low light, no noise with ISO 40.000. Can do 4k, is fullframe.
>>
Looking for lense for my d3300 that would be a good choice for wildlife photography. I have an 18-140 f3.5-5.6 dx lens that came with the camera. I was thinking of something in the 200mm range, maybe a prime. Anyone have experience with this? Besides wildlife I like doing basic landscapes which my 18-140 is fine for.
>>
>>2889131
Do you have $5k for a 200/2? No? Pick up a 70-300 VR.

>>2888995
You want OIS and AF? There's the 42.5/1.7. Personally, I'd save my pennies for the 25/0.95 if I /really/ needed to shoot low light. Although at that point, a used A7s and any adapted lens I could get my hands on would be better choice.

>>2888990
I know that feel, I really do. But to be fair, your requirements aren't all that high; any enthusiast/prosumer-tier camera or better will do what you want. You can stick with Canon EF-S, bring over the shitty lenses you have now and slowly upgrade (70-200/4L IS? 400/5.6? 100-400L? 70-300 IS non-L? 35/2 IS? 24/2.8 STM?). You'll have a lethal weapon of a camera designed for a purpose. It's going to lose out on outright portability and /fa/ points. But it'll be dependable, and that dual pixel AF stuff is neato for live view/movies.

With the Fuji system, you can't choose a bad lens, but you'll have to jump through some hoops if you want to do RAW workflow. Your battery life will be limited to around 300-500 shots, depending on how much you chimp. Cheap telephotos, if that's your thing, are limited to the XC 50-230. Still sharp though. Better deal than the 55-200 in my opinion. The 56/1.2 and 18-55 are bloody wonderful lenses. The X-T2 is shaping up to be a pretty capable camera, but no, it's not going to challenge a pro-tier DSLR in any sort of speed competition or rolling down a mountain competition.
>>
>>2889002
It's fucking worthless. It's a superzoom. Why don't you buy a bridge camera while you're at it, dad?
>>
>>2889143
>Do you have $5k for a 200/2?
I wish, I've seen the 70-300 before, that might be the perfect lense for my current situation, thanks.
>>
File: Snapshot10762.jpg (996KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot10762.jpg
996KB, 1920x1080px
>>2889030
Barely interviews. mostly events, conventions, festivals.
I'm not really pro right now. i usually just go to festivals n'shit and do as much and as good as I can. Consider it "portfolio material"
I also want to go to National Parks and shoot a few things about them.

The only faster lens at 25mm is the Voigtländer 25mm 0.95 and that straight up costs 900€, which completely blows my budget for almost a year away.
40-70mm (FF equivalent) is a standard video focal length. In video, especially moving/unscripted you dont have the luxury of perfect positioning. 50mm is good for keeping your distance and some moving space but close enough for sound. At 2-3 meters, you can get a person from head down to knees into the frame with some headroom to spare. At 6m, you get the full height of a room into the frame (around 3.2m). Fast movements shouldn't be able to escape out of the frame too fast, so tracking things becomes very hard at longer focal lengths.
It's kind of a sweetspot.
I really like the term "Fast Fifty" which is a 50mm equivalent lens with fast aperture.
The propblem with my 14-140mm is that it's REALLY slow and I rarely use the zoom for videos. It also seems to have some sharpness problems. I sometimes use it to get a decent foreground-background seperation, but a wider aperture can achieve that as well.

Picture is an unedited frame from one of my vids at a fair/festival. taken in 50mm FF-equivalent (zoomlens in MFT cam set to 25mm), in bright daylight
>>
Hi /p/

pretty new to photography still. I have a canon T3 that i got from a friend super cheap. I spent $125 on a canon 50mm f/1.8 so i could do some portraits, however ive seen some people recommend 50mm for wide angle as well. Can you explain this?
>>
>>2889111
The Sony cameras perform good in noise but bad in moire and rolling shutter, which makes them unsuited for moving shooting.
Also, without a touchscreen, run&gun shooting is really hard. The panasonic cameras can change the focuspoint via touchscreen while shooting. For small crews and unscripted work, that's great. Many manual-focussing pros will scoff at autofocus though.
Also, lenses for Sony E-Mount are sometimes twice as expensive than MFT.
Even if you get a really cheap used A7 for 600 bucks, the Lumix system will outdo it in the long run budget-wise.
If you can make money with your gear. Go A7, but for beginners/ semi-pros, the Lumix system will be better.
>>
>>2889164
the thing with wide angle is it makes everything look farther away so you need to get closer. You can get some really nice photographs if you get real close and angle the lens slightly up
>>
Budget $800-$1200
For portraiture, food, general daily activities with friends when at home
Landscape, street, night when traveling
Are there any recommendations? Is this too vague?
>>
>>2889177
> Also, lenses for Sony E-Mount are sometimes twice as expensive than MFT.
Yea, when you have apples and oranges comparisons.

MFT glass is almost never the equivalent of the more expensive E-mount glass, and when it is, it is not half the price.

'sides I think it is quite likely that you might be interested in Samyang glass for video, and that costs the same.
>>
>>2889211
Yea, quite vague. Are you looking for a lens, body, or both in that price range?

If it is both, you'll have to compromise quite strongly, presumably on night time shooting capabilities and some more. Maybe an A6000 or D3300 plus some glass and accessories?
>>
I'm looking for a DSLR with an audio input microphone with a wide angle lens or ability to get a wide angle lens.

I'm looking at the price being under $450 refurbished models are ok.

I want to record in 1080p and be able to attach my Rode microphone to it so audio quality is not important just great video with auto focus that isnt' super slow.

I do some lower light shots so i'd like something that will handle low light performance.

Is there anything that comes close to this? Doesn't have to be dslr if the camer has a decent enough microphone or if there is a way I can record quality audio on a separate device
>>
Looking for quick feedback on two cameras I'm between buying right now for video exclusively. Canon 70D or Panasonic GH4. 4k is nice but not required mainly care about getting a good image.
>>
File: 1272893051726.jpg (81KB, 476x330px) Image search: [Google]
1272893051726.jpg
81KB, 476x330px
>something loose inside my camera

i cannot withstand this!
>>
Why do you all use non-Canon/Nikon systems? Do you like having less features and worse lenses?

Is it because you're too poor? I am serious by the way.
>>
>>2889280
Pentax gave me more features for less money. I was happy, so I stayed in the system.
>>
I don't want to shit up the board by making another thread for this question, so I'll just ask here.

I need ideas for macro, I was looking at doing insect portraits; lots where I live. Any more ideas? some project that doesn't involve me going out for more than a day or more preferably macro subjects, as for lighting, I have one speedlite and a reflector, I think that'll be good enough for most lighting conditions.
>>
File: 15621824933_e0b097e375_o.jpg (287KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
15621824933_e0b097e375_o.jpg
287KB, 1500x1125px
>>2889303
Watches are pretty fun to shoot, I think. Lots of different curved and reflective surfaces, it can be a good challenge.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Windows)
PhotographerJORGE MARTORELL
Color Filter Array Pattern950
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)120 mm
Image Width4549
Image Height3412
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:07:24 21:07:24
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length60.00 mm
Image Width1500
Image Height1125
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2889305
right on, any tips you could throw at me, like how to stand them up etc?
>>
File: 16933436675_6a51c210b9_o.jpg (662KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
16933436675_6a51c210b9_o.jpg
662KB, 1200x900px
>>2889307
I generally pick something to use as a backdrop and then lay the watch directly on top of it. If you want to stand it up then I guess you could gaffer tape it to something or use some blu-tack type of stuff.

Make sure you have some good microfiber cloths and a dust blower and clean everything really well, there will be lots of pain in the ass dust and fingerprint smudges and you would much rather fix it before you shoot than have to photoshop it out later.

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Windows)
PhotographerJORGE MARTORELL
Color Filter Array Pattern926
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)120 mm
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2016:07:24 21:16:19
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length60.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height900
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2889265
G7x refurb/second hand if you can do audio outside of the on board microphone.
>>
>>2889310
awesome, I have tons of those microfibre screen cleaning cloths. Thanks a ton m8
>>
>>2888946
The M8 is a horrible camera and I don't recommend it to anybody, unless you've just got a massive boner for the red dot and/or an actual rangefinder. You have to deal with stupid IR filters on the M8, and you'll definitely want to shoot RAW and do a lot of PP because the sensor and in-camera processing are archaic, and the only way to get passable performance above ISO 800 will be to offload the processing to more modern stuff on your PC.

If you have M glass and don't mind shooting it with a crop sensor, get an X-Pro2 and an adapter. It's better in every imaginable way, and live view is objectively superior to an optical RF, though I understand the desire to do it old-school. An A7 of some variety or other would be a good bet too, since it'd give you FF.

>>2889280
I shot Nikon for well over a decade, and used both my own Nikon rig and publication-owned Canons professionally for several years. By the time I went back to being a hobbyist, I knew what my needs were for personal work, it was stupid carting around a bunch of bulky and heavy overkill pro FF gear, and I found that I had a lot more fun with Fuji gear. I know that Fuji is a compromised system compared to Canikon, but I feel like I've paid my dues and can afford to have fun with a frivolous system now that I don't have clients breathing down my neck.
>>
>>2889270
Why not a dedicated video camera?

>>2889249
The M43 equivalent to the more expensive FE-mount lenses aren't half the price, but they're certainly less.

The M43 equivalent to most FE-mount lenses actually are 50-75% of the price though.

>>2889164
50mm is not wide angle in any world. Also, they're talking about 50mm equivalent. The EF-S 24/2.8 is the closest lens Canon offers in EF-S.

>>2889151
So buy one. The 25/1.4 is breddy gud, and a 25/1.7 will be just fine.
>>
>>2888773

>http://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-patent-describes-set-f1-4-fast-primes-17mm-25mm-28mm-35mm-50mm/

So lolympus pattented a few FF mirrorless lenses.

Are they making their own mount? Or are they going to continue their partnership with Sony and join FE?
>>
>>2888979
>stale baitfaggotry

There are some really annoying fujifags in these threads.

They are even worse than the sonyfags.
>>
what's your take on the g7x mk2 for almost exclusive video purposes? how is it compared to the rx100 iv? compact form factor is a must.

i know i have to take care of audio with a separate recorder and mic in both cases. i do like the longer lens range of the canon camera.
>>
>>2888974
>What's missing from my kit /p/?
Good photos
>>
>>2889069
Well older ones are bit clunky to load but you aren't doing anything too fast paced anyway if going for film leicas
>>
>>2889415
Interesting.

I can't help but notice, though, that despite having FF coverage, that lineup sounds really APS-C to me. I kind of wonder if they're planning on launching a new mount and starting with APS-C bodies first, but designing everything to port over to an FF body later.
>>
A couple things from me:
Is it possible to remove and clean a focusing screen diy on a Nikon D3300 without damaging it/fucking the entire camera or spending more than $200?

And I'm visiting the US/Europe in a week for 3 months, I have a kit 18-55, a 50 f/1.8 and a 28 f/3.5 AI (no autofocus). I can't take all of it and I really like my 50mm, so I'm possibly looking at a 24-70mm. Where is the cheapest place to get it (including picking it up in the US, Europe, etc.)?

Cheers, /p/
>>
>>2889439
It worked for Pentax, why wouldn't it work for Oly?
>>
>>2889465
Try Srsmicrosystems in the UK
>>
>>2889467
I'm not sure Pentax is the company I'd want to emulate, though. They've scraped by and made some good products, but they're not exactly the pinnacle of success or profit.
>>
>>2889469
Neither is Fuji. Why is it shilled so hard pn this board is beyond me, Sony nolens tier company. At least Pentax has good lenses.
>>
>>2889252
I listed most of the things I can think of that I'd use the camera for. I like to explore cities before dawn when everyone's asleep and as they start to wake up.
Ideally I could get both lens and body for that range, especially since I'm still new to this. If I have to I can probably stretch it to $1500
>>
>>2889422
>Good photos
Where do you think we are?
>>
Dumb question here.

Are there cameras/lenses suitable both for wide angle and long distance shooting? I assume that this is mutually exclusive, but maybe I just don't know shit.
>>
>>2889555
If you want a super zoom (ie; wide to telephoto) you will suffer in size, weight, cost, complexity and in every circumstance; optical performance.

It's the price you pay for that convenience.
>>
Vlog camera 1080p with wide angle lens under 350 new or refurb

What is her name?
>>
>>2889555
Is it possible? Yes, anything's possible. These are popular items, and you will have a choice of them whatever system you're in.

The thing is that you have to trade something away, optically, to get that big zoom range. Superzooms are generally slow, rather large, and often suffer from poor sharpness and chromatic aberration at both ends of the zoom range. They're convenient, and give you many focal lengths without changing lenses, but that's the only thing they're good at.
>>
>>2889561
A GoPro. A decent wide angle lens itself will cost more than $350.
>>
>>2889556
Thanks, I thought superzooms could not do wide angle. How much do they usually cost compared to, say, a inexpensive Canon with two lenses?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with ONA bags?

I just bought an ONA Prince Street and wondering how the water resistance is. Also, opinions on construction/usability?
>>
>>2889569
Most of them are 18mm-something. On a crop camera 18mm is moderate wide angle. Tamron (I think) makes a 16-300. 16mm is rather more noticeably wide angle. Making wide-angle lenses is fairly hard, and the people who buy superzooms generally want more telephoto, so that's where the focus is.

Anyway you can expect to pay something like $500-$900, depending on which lens you're talking about. I would still advise you that it's not worth it - the whole point of an interchangeable-lens camera is that you can put different lenses on it, each one suited to its purpose. Putting one does-everything-but-not-very-well lens on it rather defeats the purpose.
>>
>>2889576
>>2889566
Thanks for the help, guys.
>>
Should I buy the X30 as an absolute new fag to photography? It seems to fit pretty well into my budget
>>
>>2889577
If you're a Canon shooter an EF-S 18-55 IS STM and an EF-S 55-250mm IS STM together will cost less and peform much better than any comparable super zoom lens.

Don't be a super-zoombabby,
>>
>>2889568
Gopro has shite audio though. What's something a poor person can afford?
>>
>>2889583
>poor person
A GoPro clone.
>>
>>2889280
I got a k-50 because not only was it cheaper than most other entry level canon or nikon bodies but because it is fully weather sealed with a decent selection of cheap weather sealed lenses and far better ergonomics

That being said I'll probably eventually get a canikon when I get more serious and I don't have to feel like a brand warrior because pentax stuff is so cheap
>>
>>2889583
SJCAM 5000. Best GoPro clone out there.
>>
>>2889584
>>2889588
I mean i've got a gopro lcd already but the audio quality is shit and muffled. What am I supposed to do for vlog audio? Video quality is great on it at 1080 60fps but.
>>
>>2889590
>What am I supposed to do for vlog audio?
Get an external mic and sync both audio and video in post if needed.
>>
>>2889592
>>2889592
So what external mic should I get for bretty good audio quality? Also what should i plug it into?
>>
File: static1.png (10KB, 437x107px) Image search: [Google]
static1.png
10KB, 437x107px
Only one of these is actually just an A7R for sale, btw.
Why is this?
I just wanna buy a cheap 36mp sensor for film scanning, but there seem to be none out there.
Only one on gumtree too.
>>
>>2889629

>cheap
>ff body barely even two years old

Pic one.
>>
>>2889637
They're not expensive, that's not what I'm saying.
I just want more than 2 used ones to choose from in the entire fucking world.
>>
File: DSC_00511-e1437654904856.jpg (301KB, 760x1140px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_00511-e1437654904856.jpg
301KB, 760x1140px
How well would these clips work with a 7D + battery grip + tele lens? I have my backpack with me almost all the time and don't know if a sling strap would work with my backpack on.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareMicrosoft Windows Photo Viewer 6.1.7600.16385
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.7
Color Filter Array Pattern38302
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)34 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:07:23 14:30:54
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Auto, Return Detected
Focal Length23.00 mm
Image Width3072
Image Height4608
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used100
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-A
Flash SettingNORMAL
Auto Flash ModeBuilt-in,TTL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested100
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation162111488.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon D Series
Lens Range18.0 - 55.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations5632
Digital Vari-ProgramCLOSE UP
>>
Canon 70D refurb $650... Is that a good price or will it go cheaper closer to black friday/etc?

I just want a great focus video recording camera with an external mic plug in.

Only need to record 1080p at best, no 4k displays.

Anything else that would be cheaper and provide the same quality?

I know nothing about the various camera brands, this would be my first DSLR/Camera other than cheap point and shoots.
>>
>>2889493
Fuji as a Sony shill has a unique setup that can't be emulated.
>>
>>2889599
Please do at least some of your homework yourself. Why would anyone want to watch someones vlog if it's apparent if the person didn't put the least bit of effort in it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-25-15-21-47.png (175KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-25-15-21-47.png
175KB, 480x800px
Buy it now?
>>
>>2889712
Yes, you won't though cause you a bitch
>>
What's the point of the Alpa camera in the OP? As far as I can tell, it's basically a lens board that fits digital backs. What does it offer over traditional field cameras other than size?
>>
>>2889726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89wkLHj0xRI
>>
File: 1465968804324.jpg (24KB, 263x309px) Image search: [Google]
1465968804324.jpg
24KB, 263x309px
>>2889706
Translated: I don't know the answer so i'll insult the person asking the question with a backwards question.

Get a zoom h1 refurb/second hand or wait for a sale around $50 and get any high rated lavaliere microphone from sales and you've got high quality audio for your video.
>>
Trying to pick between these, would love some input.

>Panasonic DMC-ZS45
>Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS
>Canon VIXIA HF R600
>Canon PowerShot ELPH 330
>Nikon COOLPIX S9900 (If I can find it around $200)

I'd love to get the Sony Alpha 5000 but at $450 i'm not sure if it'd be better to wait for the g7x to come down and just get it instead.

Do the a5000s have pretty good sales ever?
>>
>>2889668
I just don't put lens on my camera, boom, perfect Fuji and Sony emulation.
>>
>>2889668

If you wanna emmulate Fuji with e-mount, just try the FE 50mm f1.8.
>>
>>2889580
It's not a terrible camera, but the Ricoh GR and the X-70 both have better image quality. They both lack a viewfinder, though and they both have a fixed lens.

Here's The Camera Store TV's review of the X-30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3BWMkXT9SY
>>
>>2889419
anyone?
>>
>>2889419
>g7x mk2
Vlogers use this for a reason.
>>
>>2889746
Get an A6000. Good value and quite a bit more useful than the A5000.
>>
>>2889497
Low light capabilities are something like an A7S / A7S II, and they still cost ~$1500/2000 for the body alone. [Canon or Nikon also have low light cameras but they cost more.]

Well, you could have a look at the A6300 if you raise the budget to $1500. Might be a compromise.
>>
>>2889643
FWIW a friend of mine uses one with his Sony A7 (yes i know its not as heavy as your 7D) but he swears by it
>>
What's a trusted producer of Filters at the low cost spectrum?
Currently looking at Walimex and Hoya
>>
Any reason not to buy this refurbished canon 70D?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-18-135mm-is-stm-kit-refurbished?WT.mc_id=C126149#

i can get a new 70d without the lens for $100 cheaper on ebay.....
>>
>>2889826
Hoya is pretty good or B+W is a bit better but also more expensive. Tiffen is garbage, other no-name brands are probably also garbage.

What kind of filter do you want? If it's just a simple polarizer or black and white contrast filters then KEH usually has a whole bunch of used ones for pretty cheap.
>>
>>2889830
Polarizers for shooting outdoors.
Hate grey grass and white waters.
>>
>>2889827
Buy it, use it often
>>
>>2889339
How does the M9 compare? I could stretch to the M9 when the next M series comes out.
>>
>>2889830
>tiffen
>garbage
try shooting with a coated filter in a swamp, rainy place, desert, or on a long term trip without much water or cleanliness
oh wait, you're some yuppie city rat that goes 'ew' at the sight of dirt

anyways, tiffen makes the best uncoated filters. ignore this nerd
>>
File: 20160722_175653.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160722_175653.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I recently purchased my first camera (pic related) it's a lumix zs 60. It there anyway I can make a cage or rig for this to shoot better video?
>>
File: All the rings.jpg (23KB, 300x376px) Image search: [Google]
All the rings.jpg
23KB, 300x376px
>>2889388
>got a 25/1.7 because it was a stage model and on sale
>tried a few shots
>really good seperation
>be walking all about places trying to capture a frame rather than zooming and end up with a bunch of vacation-looking pictures
>decide to shoot a few things at dusk
>sun set, no red on the horizon
>amazingly bright footage

Yes.
This is the lens for me.
I love standard prime lenses now.
Fuck Tele or wideangle or zoom.

This is what it must feel like to accidentally have gay sex and discover to actually be gay.
>>
>>2889904
>to accidentally have gay sex
>>
Thinking of picking up a Pentax K-50 from amazon for 400, is it good for a first timer?

I backpack and hike a lot, and plan on bringing it with me on all my trips
>>
>>2889960
It's a decent camera.

IDK if $400 is a good price for it though.
>>
>>2889967
$400 comes with a 18-55 WR, what would be a good price for it?
>>
>>2889971
Yes but only until the K-70 comes out
>>
>>2889971
Sounds okay then. The 18-55 is a decent lens.

>>2889983
Maybe, but the K-70 will likely cost more again?

Even without the K-70, anon would already have the option to pay more to get a better camera (on this or other systems). But it didn't sound as though that was desirable.
>>
>>2889985
It will be around $600
>>
>>2889746
Would love some more input.
>>
>>2890015
What is your actual budget? What are you using this camera for?
>>
>>2890018
Most of these cameras except the a5000 are under $300. If I could get the a5000 at $250-300 i'd buy it.

I'm using it to document my travels and daily life while doing it. Personal use, not looking to take photos for $$$.
>>
File: gearfagging.jpg (137KB, 800x552px) Image search: [Google]
gearfagging.jpg
137KB, 800x552px
Do you even gear fag?
http://petapixel.com/2016/07/25/photographer-owns-125000-nikon-camera-gear

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)36 mm
Image Width2500
Image Height2000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution250 dpi
Vertical Resolution250 dpi
Image Created2016:07:25 12:33:21
Exposure Time1/180 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/13.0
Brightness1/2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length24.00 mm
Image Width800
Image Height552
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2889712
>it came out of the factory looking like this

#justpentaxthings
>>
>>2890038
>$125,000
>nikon users
psh, casual 35mm filth

thats like nothing to me: https://www.amazon.com/Hasselblad-H5D-60-Medium-Format-Digital/dp/B00CX7JRP2/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1469495248&sr=1-2&keywords=phase+one

come back when only one of your main cameras, one of your backup cameras, and your cheapest lens equels more than 150K. Snapshitter scumbag
>>
>>2890042
>thinking it's about the money
>>
>>2890042
this type of faggotry is why i never check the gear thread out unless its on front page. cancer
>>
>>2890042
you're a sad man
>>
You want dick? Idiot.
>>
>>2890042
Alright, which one of you asspats uploaded that picture?
I'm bent in half laughing at this shit over here
>>
>>2890047
>>2890049
>>2890051
>actually believing in anonymous' poor bait
>being this new
>>
Currently own a D3300 and a 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and 55-200 5.6. Thinking about upgrading bodies, D7200 or splurge and get the D610? or perhaps theres a better lens I could get?

I was thinking of starting to invest in lighting equipment, but don't even know where to start with that.
>>
File: DSC01556a.jpg (724KB, 880x934px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01556a.jpg
724KB, 880x934px
>>2888791
I have and use a Crown Graphic (pic related, it's mine)
I'll agree with what >>2888800
said but don't be put of by something that is a little rough around the edges. As long as the bellows, ground glass, and hardware are in good condition the rest of the camera can look like death itself and the camera will work fine.
Even though my Crown weighs less than most DSLRs, weight is a big deal with LF after you factor how much extra stuff you will be carrying, additional lenses, 3-6 film holders, sturdy tripod, light-meter, film changing bag & lightproof envelope(s), ect.

If you find one in rough condition for the right price, almost everything can be replaced and repaired on them. So don't turn it down without doing some research first.
That said, some parts may be expensive or hard to find, so get used to the idea of making stuff like lens boards.

Don't pay too much attention to LF forum lens reviews, especially if you are coming from 35mm or MF. Even my worst LF lens murders my Zeiss ZM and Zeiss Hasselblad lenses. LF lens snobs are the worst pixel peepers on earth.

A few friends have eastern block / soviet? knockoff versions of the crown graphic that work perfectly well. They can be had quite cheep.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:01:21 23:32:49
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
ISO Speed Rating800
Brightness-2.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceOther
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width880
Image Height934
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/nikon-launche-worlds-fastest-105mm-f1-4-prime-autofocus-lens/

Hold onto your butts
>>
So what are some must have accessories.

UV lenses, bags, batteries, what do you carry around. What would you recommend for some accessories.
>>
I'd like to be able to have a portable diffuser on me so I can actually use my built in flash, in a pinch.

Has anyone tried out any type of DSLR flash diffuser like these before? Any and all comments are welcome.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160725215643&SearchText=camera+flash+diffuser
>>
Good digital compact now that the GR is priced through the roof?
>>
>>2890160

I gotta admit.

The greatest thing about owning a mirrorless camera is that when Canon or Nikon announce something cool, I can go buy it and get full autofocus on my camera for either mount.
>>
>>2890160
>f/1.4 105mm prime
>f/1.4
that sounds nice
>2k
well shit, time to sell my ass
>>
>>2890164
Grad nd filter, polarizer, extra batteries.

That's it.
>>
File: k30_splash.jpg (60KB, 550x311px) Image search: [Google]
k30_splash.jpg
60KB, 550x311px
>>2889983
Don't waste money on the k-70. They're essentially the same camera except for a tilting screen, WiFi and 24 mp resolution vs 16. Just updated the external design apart from that. And the k-50 is in turn just a remake on the k-30 from 2012. Get a lightly used or refurbished k-30. Amazing value, top Sony sensor which holds its own even by today's standards and somewhat lower mp count is actually beneficial in many aspects. You aren't planning on making billboard size prints, are you?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:06:04 18:07:06
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width550
Image Height311
>>
File: IMG_1359.jpg (589KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1359.jpg
589KB, 1000x750px
>>2890164
I took a photo of what I carry a while back, so I might as well include it.

A comfortable and user-friendly bag that's the right size for your setup is critical. I suffered for so many years with shitty boxy Tamrac and Lowepro bags, fumbling with stupid zippers and flaps and awkwardly placed pockets, and when I finally switched to better stuff I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. Spending hundreds of dollars on a bag seems crazy until you've done it and experienced how much easier it makes everything.

Next, I won't leave home without a speedlite, some way of diffusing it, and some way of getting it off the camera. A single light with a basic modifier and a sync cable or cheap trigger is a real "force multiplier" and opens so many options for improving your photos.

Something to clean lenses is a must. A Lenspen or microfiber cloth barely take up any space or weight and sometimes they're a lifesaver.

This one is limited to my particular niche, but I always make sure to have a folding hairbrush and comb in my bag. The hairbrush gets used all the time by the people I shoot with (make sure to clean it between shoots) and the comb is to help me look more presentable after I've been out in the wind and weather all day.

Spare batteries for body and flash are obvious ones, and the same goes for spare cards. Filters are situational but a CPL is always a good thing to have. Have business cards, too, people ask for them all the time, and even if you're not trying to be a pro it's always nice to network. Chapstick and sunscreen are worth carrying, depending on weather. A physical notebook and pen are good if you're old-fashioned like me and struggle with taking notes on a phone.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot S90
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Image Created2016:05:31 14:34:04
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length10.70 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
Hey /p/ so I'm going on a trip to Australia and I'm planning on doing scuba diving and I really wanna get some good underwater shots and videos but I dont want to have to pay $1000+ just to get underwater housing and I dont trust to put my (fairly expensive) dslr in a $30 camera bag.
What should I do?
Are there any good waterproof cameras out there that arent shitty $100 video cameras?
Where could I buy solid underwater housing for a decent price?
Please help. Thanks in advance
>>
>>2890160
Cool. Not that I'd get enough use out of one to blow $2k on it, but it seems like a badass lens for high-end portrait and wedding photogs. I think it could also be nice for automotive, too.

Come to think of it, is this the first time Nikon's ever had a "fastest in the world" lens in the AF era?
>>
>>2890220
Except for the liveview/video dual-pixel AF sensor. Basically a more sturdy K-S2 with much better video capability.
>>
>>2890226
It might be a bit boring of an answer, but I think a GoPro is probably your best bet. They do a pretty damn good job underwater, they're relatively cheap, and they're practically invincible.
>>
File: images.jpg (14KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14KB, 470x313px
How does the SEL70200g stack up against the Canon 70-200 L IS f4?

It is more expensive, but quite a bit more compact. Is it worth the difference in price(around $200 here)? I have a modern e-mount body so wither lens would work with full autofocus and OIS.
>>
>>2890229
I was considering this but I was wondering if there was anything a bit more customizable with more options but your right a go pro is probably my best bet. Thank you
>>
>>2890226
>>2890229
>>2890231
A go pro is a good option but if your looking for something more options you should check out
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Waterproof-Digital-Camera/dp/B00T85PER2/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1469489576&sr=8-15&keywords=waterproof+camera
>>
>>2890232
Or if your willing to spend a bit more money
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Waterproof-Shockproof-Digital-11-27-5mm/dp/B00FA4UKC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469527178&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+a1+aw1
>>
>>2890228
If your interested in video making by all means get the 70 but for traditional still photo I'd say the 30 suffices
>>
>>2890230
Tamron or Sigma 70-200/2.8
You're welcome
>>
>>2890238
It will have the better metering and improved AF module. I'd say it will be an improved model but the 50 and 30 are still very capable for stills by todays standards. The 70 will have less hesitation in lower light.
>>
>>2890240

Man those do look nice.

But is the one stop worth being bigger and weighing twice as much?
>>
>>2890291
I have the Tamron. I took off the tripod mount and handhold it without any problems.
>>
>>2890226
Buy a Xiaomi Yicam (or Yicam 2) (cheaper but still good variant of a GoPro) and a diving case for it.
>>
>>2890160
Looks neat, but $2.2k will be very steep.

Would have to be extremely sharp to be more appealing than buying a low light body and using your existing f/2.8 or whatever lens(es) with that?
>>
can anyone identify this strap?
>>
As a poor eu college student who narrrowed his choice to pentax; should I buy k50 or should I save up some extra money for k70 or are the differences between these two important enough for a complete beginner?
>>
>>2890449
It looks like the same material as a car seat belt, dyed to copper.

>that subtle fujiposting
>>
>>2890182
Hopefully this makes the 105/1.8 get a nice price drop on fleabay
>>
>>2890449
slide sl-2 summit edition. It's dope, I have one
>>
File: 47917226.Nikkor105135DC.jpg (67KB, 800x633px) Image search: [Google]
47917226.Nikkor105135DC.jpg
67KB, 800x633px
>>2890160
RIP DC lenses, you will be missed. I guess nobody ever really appreciated these lenses or understood how DC worked so they just went for muh big aperture instead because that's something people do understand.

I'm glad Nikon is finally really fleshing out the fast AF-S prime lineup, though. I wouldn't mind a cheaper 105mm f/1.8G or f/2G for like $500-$700.
>>
>>2890449
Peak design slide.

I have a black one, it's great.
>>
>>2890342
It's for bokeh whoring.

2.2k isn't that much for such a big lens.
Price is quite similar to the Canon 85 f/1.2
>>
>>2890485
How does this compare to the Minolta/Sony STF lens? Is there a transmission penalty for the Defocus Control feature?

What's the story here?
>>
>>2890230
The Canon is actually a little smaller.

Your picture shows the Canon f/2.8, not the f/4.
>>
>>2890494
The STF lenses use some weird radial neutral density thing which makes bokeh nicer both in front and behind, but it eats up light like you said.

DC moves lens elements around to add more spherical aberration either in front or behind the focus plane to give nicer bokeh either in front or behind (but not both at once). It doesn't lose any transmission but you have to fuck around with the ring to set it correctly for your aperture. If you set it too high at large apertures then it makes the image soft all over.
>>
>>2890497
Oh and also the DC lenses can autofocus, the STF ones were manual focus.
>>
>>2890459
Go K-50, later you can upgrade to the flagship aps-c or ff. Main differences between the 50 and 70 are in video.
>>
>>2890449
Hey that's my pic. Yeah, it's a Peak Design Slide Summit Edition whatever. I've had a shitload of straps over the years and this is my favorite so far.
>>
Looking at picking up a new X-T1 and XF 18-55mm lens. A kit would be about £940 or if I purchase the body and lens separately it comes out around £990 but from the looks of the cashback system https://fuji-promotions.com/gb/en/pages/cb-0616/qualifying it would work out at £910, saving me £30. I assume that a kit wouldn't count for claiming cashback and it has to be a lens and body purchased at the same time as two different items. Has anyone got any experience claiming cashback from Fuji? Is it easy?
>>
File: question.jpg (19KB, 296x320px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
19KB, 296x320px
I found a 950€ Lens on Amazon for 410€. Whenever I tried putting it in my basket, it disappeared from it the moment I wanted to pay or it said "product no longer available"
I contacted the seller (4/5 stars from 13 reviews) and they said "yeah, it's still available, original packaging, in country, just send contact info and we'll do it for you via Amazon" (apparently they want amazon direct billing or something. They also say it's a 7 day offer.
The offer isn't visible on amazon anymore
Is this trustworthy?
Should I go for it?
I would replace a similar but less performing lens with it and sell that one for roughly 400€.

PhotographerMiyomo
>>
>>2890521
>settling with a kit lens
That money would be better spent on a piece of rope and a quick tutorial on how to tie a noose.
Getting rid of yourself will only improve the world.
>>
File: MG_3048-web.jpg (123KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
MG_3048-web.jpg
123KB, 900x600px
Anybody have the Rokinon 12mm and feel like sharing impressions of it? I need an ultrawide once in a while, but not enough to justify $1k for a 10-24 or 16mm, and MF isn't an issue on a lens like this. I've also been really impressed with the other Samyang/Rok/Bower/etc. lenses I've tried. (85 1.4 on FF and 24 1.4 on crop.)

PhotographerAlan P. Smallbone
Horizontal Resolution120 dpi
Vertical Resolution120 dpi
>>
>>2890557
lol no

you pay money, they send you the package as a good seller does, but when it turns out to be shite, they disappear and you never get your money back

Never buy from Amazon used. Only ebay, craigslist-likes, and the few other decent used camera equipment sellers like Keh and Adorama are the ones worth risking.

Camera equipment is too expensive to play risky games with. Buy good, on discount, risk free even if you waste money, and you'll never be burned. You'll lose more money by getting the bad end of a risky trade than you do buying good from the start.
>>
>>2890562
Okay thanks.
But by "turns out to be shite" do you mean it's a banged up crappy wreck that someone used as a dare-dildo?
>>
>>2890561
The lens is good but the body can't resolve. Fine details are lost on x-trans sensors.
>>
File: six oh bong.jpg (65KB, 710x529px) Image search: [Google]
six oh bong.jpg
65KB, 710x529px
>>2890563
It's impossible to tell all the problems a lens might have without it being in your hand. Pictures are not good enough. The only reason we buy used over the internet with pictures alone is because we can trust a dealer who has a lot at stake, like a good reputation. Even then, we have great return policies like at Ebay. You can't trust a no name from a barely used service like Amazon's user sales. They could omit anything, or they could be incompetent and not even know. The motor could fuck off within a week, or a bit of fungus was growing in a place that couldn't be seen until it grew too much. Or the lens is all scratched to hell, worth nothing, and the seller just got a free 400 eurobuckaroos.
>>
File: samyang-12mm-fish-eye.jpg (299KB, 1396x1092px) Image search: [Google]
samyang-12mm-fish-eye.jpg
299KB, 1396x1092px
>>2890561
I have a 12mm Samyang... but depicted FF fisheye rather than the APS-C rectilinear that you are asking for. Still, it's a related lens in many ways.

They are both good. Sharp in the center (not entirely Otus or Loxia or Sigma Art - like, but sharp). And *relatively* sharp for wide angle lenses at the side.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image Created2014:09:09 09:22:21
Image Width1396
Image Height1092
>>
>>2890558
>settling
>XF 18-55
I sure would. Have you considered using a noose yourself?
>>
>>2890572
Yeah i've just got this lense. It's a lot of fun. If anything i have been overusing it. I was surprised that it works with aperture mode. Its not massively sharp nearer the edges, but its useable, and if you get it onto a tripod its perfect.
>>
>>2890564
That might be relevant to some people, but I don't publish at sizes where there's any appreciable difference between Fuji and anything else, and I don't sit around scrutinizing the corners of my photos at 100%. I've seen more than enough detail in my X-Pro2 files for my needs, and that's despite processing my raws in LR.

I'm more concerned with color, distortion, flare, and other issues that'll be visible in <2000px images.

>>2890572
Cool, that seems to jibe with what I've been reading.

>>2890558
The 18-55 is far from the typical Canikon 18-55 kit lens. That role goes to Fuji's 16-50. The 18-55 is reasonably fast (2.8-4) and built like their primes and constant aperture zooms. I think it's more comparable to something like the Canon 24-105 f/4L, where it's technically a "kit lens" since it's bundled with certain cameras, but is still a serious lens that's worth buying on its own.
>>
>>2890599
But the 24-105L sucks dick.
>>
how does the 5D Mark II compare to the 6D in terms of ergonomics? coming from the original 5D am I going to see a night and day difference when editing my pictures in Photoshop?
>>
>>2890675
yes, at least you'll be able to shoot video.
>>
File: 425634698_29741.jpg (157KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
425634698_29741.jpg
157KB, 960x1280px
I finally got my adapter in the mail!
[Sonnar intensifies]
>>
File: compacts.jpg (337KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
compacts.jpg
337KB, 2048x1152px
I actually don't own an interchangeable lens camera atm
>>
>>2888946
The M8 is a fucking trash camera unless literally everything you shoot is doable at iso 320 and lower. The Epson RD-1S has useable iso up to 1600, better ergonomics and is cheaper.

If you really want to shoot rangefinder, go film. Konica Hexar RF is a better camera than the M8.
>>
>>2890600
why?
>>
>>2890840
Because just like every other superzoom lenses it is a piece of shit.
>>
>>2890843
but it's not a superzoom, and you didnt answer the question.
>>
Olympus 50-200mm 2.8 Lens for 260$ + 40$ shipping.
On Amazon: 770$

Worth it?
>>
>>2890843
24-105 isn't a super zoom..
>>
>>2890802
Buy into the Leica system as your first interchangeable. that way you don't know any better and can have proper fun with a camera.
>>
guys, i want a compact camera just a few request
>sub 150€ used
>nice to use
>not too ugly
>not too interested about IQ, better if with RAW (to get something when ISO is too high)

i have a 60D and a lot of stuff but i never shoot anything except for work (and mostly videos) and i'd like to get into photography again. i found out that most of the nice pictures i take are with my phone
>>
>>2890874
Use your phone like anyone else
>>
>>2890875
i don't like the wide angle and of course the digital zoom fucks everything, also except for ISO it lacks of manual controls
>>
Canon d70 or d80?

I plan on doing portraits and landscapes, no fast motion stuff
>>
>>2890881
>I plan on doing portraits and landscapes
>no fast motion stuff
Canon EOS 6D + Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM II + Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC USD
>>
>>2890881
Sony A6000, A6300 or Nikon D5500 for better sensors?
>>
>>2890881
Literally any camera.

>>2890852
If you have a EM1, sure. 100-400/2.8? Yes please.

>>2890874
Pick a Canon compact that has CHDK support.
>>
>>2890879
Don't expect any better for $150
>>
>>2890911
thanks for the CHDK advice, i didn't know about that (even if i'm a huge magic lantern user)
>>2890963
actually i found something that might do the job,
Canon G9, around 100€, tiny, good controls, colors and sharpness looks good enough on flickr
what do you think?
>>
>>2890969
>what do you think?
I still think buying cheap point and shits are a waste of money. You should save up for something with better controls and better sensor like an RX100 or an X30
>>
What lens should I rent for a Canon 40D to shoot motorsports at wide to normal view? EFS 10-18? EF 17-40? EF 16-35?
>>
>>2890978
>motorsports at wide to normal
...what
>>
File: 1469618960944.jpg (2MB, 3149x4724px) Image search: [Google]
1469618960944.jpg
2MB, 3149x4724px
what type of lens creates that weird shimmering effect in the background?
>>
>>2890980
Not everybody shoots on a tilkedrome, bruv. Also, wide-to-normal gets you different perspectives than your usual telephoto shots. Also, you're not going to be shooting telephoto in the paddocks unless you're Mr D500+200-500 in Motor Madness.

Besides, i've got my telephoto on another body. The 40D is the backup I'll be borrowing.
>>
>>2890985
Hmm, never noticed I would need a wide lens. But I use a 50-500 and it gets used on all the range sometimes. Still going UWA on motorsports still sounds strange unless you want to make those cheesy done to death wide perspective car shots.
>>
>>2890984
Photoshop is my guess.
>>
>>2890984
Probably heat, movement on slow shutter speed, cheap compact level shitty over sharpening, noise reduction and JPEG compression
>>
>>2890984

That's definitely a long lens on a hot summer day with heat coming off the 100 degree sand refracting the background.
>>
>>2888804
Trip 35. Although p&s is ghey anyhow
>>
File: DSC_8882.jpg (130KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8882.jpg
130KB, 1500x844px
>>2890989
Asides from the need while in the paddock, there's plenty you can do with a wide angle lens. The perspective distortion from getting close is useful. I'm about 5 meters from the car here.

Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
PhotographerJason Cheung
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Color Filter Array Pattern792
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Image Created2016:06:27 09:46:36
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2891058
>I'm about 5 meters from the car
Do you have life insurance? There is a reason why everyone is using telephoto lens, so they don't have to stand literally at the edge of the track to get a shot. Or to get run over.
>>
File: sigma_dp2_merrill.jpg (507KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
sigma_dp2_merrill.jpg
507KB, 1024x684px
Sigma DP series anyone?

Camera ModelNIKON D600
Camera SoftwareVer.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.4
Color Filter Array Pattern740
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Horizontal Resolution150 dpi
Vertical Resolution150 dpi
Image Created2013:01:31 11:22:20
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.02 m
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length85.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2891060
these driver's are professionals that spend years perfecting the turn and car control. The chances of being struck by lightening the morning you win the lotto are higher
>>
>>2891064
Slow, disgustingly bad ISO performance, bad controls but no bayer pattern interpolation.
I'D rather buy a K-1 for those crisp product photos.
>>
>>2891064
>gets shat on in recent photo thread
>comes here to get emotional backup
Lel
>>
>>2891060
I'm a further 1 m behind a barrier. I'm not dumb. You cant make great pictures without great access. Not that that picture's great.
>>
>>2891066
It's a technical sport, no matter how professional a driver is, if something breaks or gives in they go off the track. By the looks of that shot you were right in the middle of the slip-out zone.
>>
>>2891072
That's the beauty of the wide angle; i'm actually behind the turn in point.
>>
>>2891069
I don't feel I got shat on. I'm just wondering why the cameras are seemingly despised here. I'm happy with mine and some keyboard warriors on 4chan won't change that for sure.
>>
Would you rather get a K-1 or 5D?
>>
>>2891096
For what? And I'd personally go with a Sony or Nikon, not a Canon 5D.
>>
>>2891096
5Dinosaur or 5DIII?
K-1 of course though.
>>
>>2891097
A little bit of everything I suppose. Any reason you wouldn't pick the Pentax? Only real con I see with Pentax is availability of used shit compared to other brands.
>>
>>2891101
There's plenty of used stuff on ebay, that's how I built up my gear. Although on some more sought after lenses there is no availability all the time. Some FA lenses are still being produced and most mundane focal lengths are pretty much available like on 50mm, 35mm, some Limiteds. The 43mm and 85mm became collectors items and the tax is huge on them, they go for much much more than they are worth.
They only got back into FF after ye olde film days so it takes time to churn out new lenses.
>>
File: CamerRigThingy.jpg (425KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
CamerRigThingy.jpg
425KB, 2500x1667px
What's the name of those hoods you put over the Digital screens of a camera to get a better view on a rig?
>>
>>2891109
LCD viewfinder loupe
>>
>>2891101
Not really. I personally do like Pentax cameras.

They are not what I ended up with for lens and other reasons, but they are fine cameras.

Granted, Canon IMO also has good cameras from the 5D III upwards, but... that's not what you're looking at, right? I'd honestly suggest going with a Sony or Nikon below that...
>>
>>2891111
Ok thanks
>>
>>2890027
Never got a real answer to either question.
>>
File: t5rebel.png (318KB, 629x410px) Image search: [Google]
t5rebel.png
318KB, 629x410px
how are the rebel t5 canon? found em with those long lenses for like $300
>>
>>2891266
I have the t3, buddy of mine has the t5. The build quality is great. He mostly uses his for film, and the image quality he gets is superb
>>
I'm on a budget but would like to buy a telephoto/macro lens for my Pentax.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro? It seems to have decent reviews here but I trust /gear/'s judgment more.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-dl-macro.html
>>
Do any pentax take 1080p video with a mic in slot and decent auto focus?
>>
>>2891308
What Pentax? Pentax isn't an all in one camera model.

Also:
>1080p
yes
>Decent Auto focus
not on the k-50, manual all the way
>>
>>2890881
>small format
>landscapes

don't
just don't
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I've been kinda wanting to get into photography for a while while also knowing that I start shit much easier than I continue doing shit. So I've been waiting for a really good deal on a camera to get me started. Found this Canon AE1 for $35. Worth it for a starting camera?
comes with the flash attachment

Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
>>
>>2891318
Aren't those over 20 years old? Just get a refurb t5 for ~270.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2891322
ye they old af but thought might be worth it for the low price. would I only need to spend ~270 for that camera or do I need more for lenses etc.?

Image Width3264
Image Height2448
>>
>>2891318
do it
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2891331
y should I

Image Width3264
Image Height2448
>>
>>2891332
it's fun.
How's the leak protection?
>>
>>2891335
leak protection?
is a camera that takes film a good first camera? feel like that might be another barrier.
>>
>>2891338
Take a picture of the back with it open. There should be little strips of foam. If the foam isn't shit, it should be fine. And it's good to learn on film.
>>
>>2891339
took these earlier, haven't bought it, but I can check later I guess. is the lesson worth $35 + whatever film/batteries costs?
>>
>>2891340
I mean it's not that much.
>>
>>2891341
it really isn't. prob would be worth it as long as I took more than a few rolls of film worth of pictures on it..
>>
Go into basement. Find parents old Canon EOS 650.

Never been to /p/. Is this thing any good? Is it film or digital?
>>
>>2891347
Why don't you tell us?
>>
>>2891347
>Is it film or digital?
It's film, the 650 is Canon's first body in the EOS series. That's all I can tell you though, others here will be able to tell you more, or you know, just google it m8
>>
>>2891351
>>2891352
I figured how to open it like a monkey in a lab and it seems like film. If the camera is good, I guess that's my real concern. I was thinking I might take it on my upcoming vacation. I could probably still buy film right? Can you develop photos anywhere still?
>>
>>2891353
Dude just fucking
>google EOS 650
>google color film buy [location]
>google photo store [location] / film development [location]
>>
>>2890984
Nikkor 300mm f4. Piece of shit lens with piece of shit oof areas.
>>
>>2890857
Oh I've had plenty of interchangeable systems before. I actually just sold all my Leica stuff. I'm looking into a few different systems atm. Leaning towards CY mount to get some of that tasty tasty Zeiss glass.
>>
>>2891064
Its a cool camera. You can get it for like $400 on ebay and for specific kinds of pictures you can match or outperform much more expensive camera setups.

If you want to go above 100 iso though you have to do some weird trick with just the blue layer of the photo being converted to black and white.
>>
>>2891353
yes you can still buy film. yes you can still get it developed.
>>
pentax k1000 a good starter camera?
from what i've read everyone says it's good to learn basics from it

i'm really sorry i'm a new friend
>>
File: bags.jpg (413KB, 1920x1172px) Image search: [Google]
bags.jpg
413KB, 1920x1172px
I'm looking for a not-too obvious camera bag /p/.

Must hold three FF zoom lenses (12-24, 24-70 and 70-200) and one body and a normal prime lens.

Stuck between these two, a Sirui Weekender or Pacsafe Z16, pic related respectively. Budget is $250.

If you've got other suggestions, would love to hear it.
>>
>>2891468
>not-too obvious
>tripod hanging out
that being said, they both look like camera bags. the right shoulder strap seems more comfortable
>>
So Fuji X-T10 here. Had the XF35mm f1.4 but sold it recently to go wider. I prefer 35mm equivalent. Should I get the kit zoom, pancake or something third party while I wait for the 23mm f2?
>>
>>2891468
Gonna shill for ThinkTank because it's what I use, check out their stuff too, but of the ones you showed the Pacsafe looks nicer.
>>
>>2890558
have you tried or see the result of fuji xf 18-55 f2.8-4?

hint: it's not comparable to canikon 18-55.

kys
>>
Gear me up /p/.
I plan on buying a bmpcc (Micro four thirds) and need an inexpensive lens that can deliver decent low light and ok to good bokeh. Anything between 200 and 400 would be nice.
>>
Looking to get a spare battery or 2 for my Ricoh GR.
Are the cheap chinese ones on eBay any good?
>>
>>2891509
>wishing someones harm or death
Only Fuji things
>>
Nikon D700 or D600?
>>
>>2891555
D700. D600 is entry level shit, even a D7000/7100 is better.
>>
>>2891515
Assuming the focal length should be a standard focal length for MFT
Panasonic 20mm or 25mm f/1.7 bothj will do fine. the 25mm is said to have faster autofocus, if you care
Mitakon 25mm 0.95 speedmaster, used, can go for 250-450
An adapted lens. Look into Canon FD, they are very popular for being adapted onto MFT. old ones go for 50-250.
>>
>>2891492
The tripod doesn't come with the bag and I barely use one myself but I do carry a Joby Gorillapod when I travel.

The Pacsafe screams like a premium product but priced one too. Leaning towards it right now.

>>2891492
Anything specific though? There's so many to choose from that anecdotal, user experience would push me over.
>>
>>2891555
Ignore this retard >>2891556.

The D600 is a newer more consumer friendly FF DSLR. It's a tad bit smaller but overall defeats the D700 in almost every technical aspect as well as overall image quality.

However the D700 slightly edges out the D600 in a couple of areas such as AF (15 vs 9 points) and maximum shutter speed (1/8000s vs 1/4000s).

But overall the D600 is a better buy.

Do note that Nikon DSLRs are prone to quality control problems such as the dreaded oil/dust-on-sensor issues so much so that Nikon immediately released the D610 and offered to replace any D600 for a while.

Go with a Canon EOS 6D instead.
>>
>>2891463
>is it?
yes. a lot of schools and classes use it for this purpose.
>why?
it has nothing but the essentials. Focus, aperture, sensitivity and shutter speed. And, being a film camera, you can easily put B&W film in it and develop it yourself. Bam, you have control over everything in the image, and zero frills.
>but...
art schools using the K1000 for so long has given it a hipster tax. It's a fine camera, but you shouldn't pay the $100+ that it usually costs.
>instead...
get an ME Super. Slightly smaller. Takes the same K-mount lenses. It needs a battery (which costs $5 and lasts years), unlike the K1000. In exchange, you get aperture-priority mode. Which is handy. You should also be able to find one in good working order for nearly half the price of a K1000, usually with an unexceptional but perfectly adequate 50/2.0 lens included.
>>
File: intro.jpg (234KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
intro.jpg
234KB, 1280x854px
Is m4/3 really a meme?

I've been shooting film for a year and I want to get back to digital after selling my D90.

There's someone selling me an Olympus EP5 for $300 for body only. Is it worth it? Or there's no difference quality wise from my old D90 to this EP5 due to the smaller sensor? I do want to shoot videos with it though so m4/3 is tempting also the small mirrorless factor.

For the record I have old nikkor AI lenses (50mm and 135mm) and one old olympus OM lens (50mm 1.8)

>>
>>2891318
Can't go wrong for $35
It's a decent camera but not the best ever. That said I started with an AE-1 Program and shot it for years.
>>
>>2891567
Why not get the Pentax MX instead? It runs without batteries and smaller and cuter than the ME Super.
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
172KB, 1920x1080px
>>2890802
why go with an interchangeable lens when you can interchange your sensor too
>>
>>2891572
People praise it for 3 reasons:
>compactness
>massive array of cheap lenses, especially when adapting
>video on Panasonic
If you want above HQ photos, get something different.
For making nice photos that end up in projects, or as a travel camera for which even a 600mm FF-equivalent is small and affordable, consider it.
Just remember: they perform badly in low light.
Olympus is known for having the better photo cameras and their sensors are stabilized, while Panasonic is relying on their stabilized lenses (which is retarded for video IMHO)
>>
>>2891577
>Panasonic is relying on their stabilized lenses (which is retarded for video IMHO)

Then why is the GH4 the perfect choice for videographers and not the em1 or em5?

How badly do they perform in low light? Much worse than my d90 before? Can't I compensate the low light by using its 5 axis stabilization and shoot at like 1/8 of a second when I'm at a bar with friends? I mean it will be my daily carry or everyday carry camera.

Also is the $300 for the body already reasonable or quite steep?
>>
>>2891575
He could. Those cost at least what a K1000 does, though.
>>
>>2891584
>Then why is the GH4 the perfect choice for videographers and not the em1 or em5?

Because better everything else in terms of video. better video options, better ergonomics, better accessoires, Headphone jacks, video noise performance, etc.
Stabilization can be done "per hand" as in "just hold it still you fucking noob". Also, Panasonic is starting to introduce stabilized sensors, i think the GX85 has one.
The EP5 can "only" do 30fps in Full HD, so no 60fps or 4k for you. But good enough for most stuff.

>How badly do they perform in low light?
With a normal 3.5 aperture, get ready for mosaic-orgies and noise-a-paloozas above 1600 ISO. Although that also depends on the system and camera.
But problem solved by getting an old 1.8 or 1.4 lens for cheap and adapt it. Listen to the adapter-meme. It's true.

I dunno much about the camera in specific.
I know it has lots of support because it's been around for quite some time now (in digital camera terms).
Also, 300$ seems to be a good price if it's not banged up too bad.
>>
>>2891563
I used to own a D600, now I own a D700. I like the D700 better, it's a better camera in basically every aspect except for the clunky live view and the lower resolution. Also I guess the D600 had a 100% viewfinder if I recall right but the D700 has slightly less than 100% coverage. And the D700 uses expensive old CF cards.

D700 is tougher, better weather sealed, has a better control layout, has a more comfortable grip, and has a much better AF system (the D600 has a DX-sized AF system which only covers the very center of the frame). 12MP is pretty dated in 2016, but it's more than enough to take good photos with and the sensor is perfectly capable as far as dynamic range and high ISOs and all that shit.

I could easily recommend both and they're both good cameras and their used prices are both very good. I'd say D600 if you're not going to be out in the elements getting rained on and if you're regularly shooting on a tripod where you want to use live view and if you're shooting at a slower pace where you don't mind the AF system being a bit less capable and the controls being a bit worse (although the saved preset settings system on the D600 is better). If you need a bit more of a rugged reliable camera and don't mind trading away a bit of resolution for it then take the D700.
>>
>>2891588
Why not a black Spotmatic with a Helios 44M?
>>
>>2891515
that thing is a S16 sensor with a crop factor of 3X, you need around 10mm for a wide angle... i'd suggest to look for s16 optics or get a speedbooster
>>
File: hurr.png (1MB, 927x740px) Image search: [Google]
hurr.png
1MB, 927x740px
>>2891468
>>2891492
>>2891506
Welp, just ordered the Pacsafe Z16 for $220 shipped. It was on sale for $180 or so but shipping to here was $40. The best deal I could find.

Finally going to have a replacement to pic related.
>>
>>2890976
bought a G9 for 120€ with shipping lol
sorry i haven't heard your advice, i have enough to buy a x100S new but i would not spend that much on a compact, not now, also for what i want it should be good enough, i plan to shoot in raw to avoid the jpeg noise reduction and get that sexy CCD grain...
>>
>>2891634

From Ninja Turtle to Asian schoolboy.

But yeah, wise decision.
>>
>>2891639
But I am Asian...
>>
>>2891641

Are you also 6 years old?
>>
>>2891661
I'm at University, does that count as "school"?
>>
>>2891641

Well that's good then.

Were you a Ninja Turtle before?
>>
Canon EOS M3 + EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM $275 preloved, yay or nay?

Been thinking about a cheap second body to my 6D. Would be handy for traveling too.

This or a 100D.
>>
>>2891307
Anyone?
>>
File: Blazing harmony.png (99KB, 236x176px) Image search: [Google]
Blazing harmony.png
99KB, 236x176px
>when you discover you can adapt c-mount lenses to your MFT camera

FUCKING FINALLY CHEAP WIDEANGLES!
>>
>>2891686
>c-mount
MOST OF THEM WON'T COVER THE SENSOR ANYWAY
>>
>>2891728
Who cares?
With 4k-cropping and artsy vignetting, a 12.5-75mm f/1.2 lens for under 100bucks is an amazing deal.
The worst that can happen is that your shots aren't suitable for product photography
>>
>>2891324
sold out, do yu know where i can get a t5 rebel?
>>
>>2891773
NEW
THREAD
>>
>>2891634
holy shit this has to be a troll post right? I mean TURTLE POWER!
>>
>>2891634
fuck i remember this lol bug man
>>
Decent lenses from Canon.
>>
>>2891339
It's incredibly easy to refurbish the light seal. Just remove the old shit with some alcohol and glue in a woolen thread. Remove loose threads with tweezers after glue hardens
>>
I'm a journalist and I'm looking to purchase a camera. I need it for everyday purposes, but also to help me make videos and for taking photos that will go into my stories.

I'm having difficulty deciding between:
a6300
fuji x-t10
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II

Pls help...
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.