[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #85

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 93

File: 85.jpg (2MB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
85.jpg
2MB, 3197x5000px
Old thread: >>983872

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

http://pastebin.com/RDDAm3Jz

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
>>987666

At least the new shoots are edible.
>>
>>987708
You can use tin snips to cut them out.
>>
What is the general meaning of a seed floating or sinking? I'm following advice online and on the packets for Nasturtiums and moonflowers. I nicked some of the top layer off and am soaking them overnight. One packet of nasturtiums pretty much all sunk to the bottom while 2/3rds of the other packet are still floating and rise slowly when dropped into water. The moonflowers have some floating too, I assume these aren't good.
>>
>>987662
Eggs, but if they stop laying, it's time to go in the pot.
>>
>>987762
they will sink overtime
dont worry about it
>>
File: Photo0727.jpg (818KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0727.jpg
818KB, 1600x1200px
so far so good

potatoes
>>
File: Photo0728.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0728.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
>>987882
and shallots
>>
>>987882
>>987883
I'm mad jelly anon. Looks like very sandy soil, is that gonna work ok? I don't know anything about plants, just curious
>>
>>987884
yea they love that shit, but you can't grow everything in it

I remember trying out lettuces and it kinda failed, I think it needs richer soil
>>
>>987885
More likely because the soil drained to well. You need clay/loam or constant drip irrigation.
For lettuce. That's happy potato land.
>>
>>987762
>>987854
If there are no air bubbles stuck to the outside, most seeds should sink. Floating seeds usually indicate a seed that doesn't have as much density as the rest. It may be an immature seed or a seed that an insect has eaten the insides.

>>987882
>>987883
Looking good.

>>987643
What herbs are those? Looks good for starting out. You need a shelving unit and some lights. It'll change your life.

>>987778
Just remember some chickens will stop laying eggs when they are stressed or sick. That is a temporary situation that they recover from. Even changing their food or high summer heat and cold winter temps can do it. When a hen is about 2-3 years old they typically lay the largest eggs. Killing them off before that is a bit uneconomical since you'd need to replace it and wait 2-3 years before having the best eggs again. It is better just to wait a month or more for the hen to recover. It takes many years for hens to start to stop laying eggs due to old age (5-8 years).
>>
ok so im growing golden gormet shallots and they are supposed to be heavy producers.

My question is can you tell how many shallots will be produced from the young shoots because about half of my shallots only have about 3 main shoots with leaves coming out of them.

Do the shoots split or will i only get 3 shallots out of most?
>>
>>987940
3-6, but it depends on many factors like how crowded they are, nutrients, and soil compaction.
>>
Anyone find where I can buy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPhtoJ_4EXc

I can't find anything after 2010 that isn't on alibaba, but you have to buy like 200 of them at $30-$150 each. They also don't have the flooring and other stuff.
>>
>>988012
lmao
>>
What does it mean if a sprout's leaves are pointing upward, like a V?
They look fine otherwise.
>>
>>988092
What type of plant? Something like that is usually common for new growth.
>>
File: bean-sprouts-are-very-cool[1].jpg (948KB, 1936x1288px) Image search: [Google]
bean-sprouts-are-very-cool[1].jpg
948KB, 1936x1288px
>>988099
Pole beans, yardlong beans specifically.
Something like pic related.
>>
>>988012
if it's an alibaba then it should be on aliexpress, and aliexpress allows individual orders.
>>
>>988114
That's normal. The leafs are still growing and taking shape.
>>
>raised beds
>easy seating on raised bed wall
>no tools needed super loose soil

Anons, why haven't you made raised beds yet?
>>
File: DSCN8787a.jpg (2MB, 2044x2296px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8787a.jpg
2MB, 2044x2296px
>>988181
I can't wait until next month when I can remove the poly tunnel and plant these veggies in their final places.
>>
>>988181
What makes the soil in a raised bed so loose?
Is it just because people don't walk on it?
Could you achieve the same effect by just making it a point to not walk in your garden beds?
>>
>>988181
I made a raised bed about six inches high last month.
It's pretty nice.
>>
we have had a spring heatwave of 22C here in merry old blighty and my salad leaves are huge.

Temps are back down to 12C tomorrow though :(
>>
File: DSCN8871a.jpg (284KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8871a.jpg
284KB, 1024x768px
>>988201
Yes, that is the main factor for loose soil. Crop rotation and soil type are others. Some people have designated paths in their gardens; around the growing plots. That also helps prevent compaction of the soil as you thought.

>>988203
That's great. I made one then was like "this is crazy!" and made 11 more. I'd like to have 20 times the number I have now and a few greenhouses. I just need a few more supplies for making more beds and a glass greenhouse. It is addicting.

>>988206
It was snowing and 28F/-2C here two days ago. Today it is 82F/27.7C. Tonight's low is supposed to be 32F/0C. Then warmer more even weather after that.
>>
File: peper_20170409_181338.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
peper_20170409_181338.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>986924
Perlite, I learned these babies like airy soil so I mixed some in because the standard potting soil becomes really compact when wet.
Most are above ground now, all 3 bhuts even, I expected them to be the most tricky.
1 of the bolivian rainbow is also finally sprouting, the marbles are showing no sign of life yet.
>>
>>988181
I have to water my shit enough as is despite the heavy clay soil, really don't want to have to do that even more
>>
File: 2017-04-08_19-03-53.jpg (661KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-08_19-03-53.jpg
661KB, 1800x1200px
>>988206
Another German? Because it sounds like here, 22 today, but starting Tuesday only highs of 14-17, might even freeze next weekend
>>
>>988224
You need to add more organic matter. Clay isn't good since it locks up the water. When you have a good soil consistency you won't need to water it as much. You can also mulch it if you really need water retention more than normal.
>>
File: 2017-04-08_16-53-30.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-08_16-53-30.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>988227
Yeah, am already mulching a lot.
Still, it's been a drought here (no rain for 3 weeks and little the months before that) so everything is bone dry easily 10cm deep (where not watered), especially my strawberries really don't like that.
Some compost is added every now and then, worked in about 2 cubic metres back in October if anyone remembers (pretty much the yearly turnover) but on an area of about 300 m^2, that's a mere drop in the ocean
>>
>>988226

England mate.

Summer cant come soon enough
>>
>>988243
Ah, so at least you have a lower chance of frost
>>
>>988229
I think I remember something about that. I put about 2"/5cm of compost on top of the soil every year and use soaker hoses placed under mulch in the summer.

Yeah, that soil in the pic looks like all the native soil where I live. 99.999% clay. Though, I can literally make bricks and pottery from my soil.
>>
>>988267
Yeah, people have used that stuff to make houses here too in the past, my great-grandma lived in a 300 year old one built from that, the ground on the upper floor was all bent as fuck towards the edges.

One good thing about the clay over let's say sand is that it's extremely fertile though, with it I can keep seedling starts in the same small size pot much longer than if I use potting soil before they stall
>>
File: screenshot.37.jpg (174KB, 506x484px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.37.jpg
174KB, 506x484px
can anyone tell me what type of tree this is?

thanks
>>
What are some of the highest cropping vegetables?

I dont have much space and i want to make the most of it,
>>
>>988303
Depends a bit on local conditions such as climate and soil, but potatoes should be up there if you count those
>>
>>988283
Cell towers?

>>988303
https://bonnieplants.com/library/ranking-vegetables-for-efficiency/
>>
>>988283
It's called araucaria
>>
>>988320
Damn, they do look like cell towers. lol
>>
>>988181
I prefer reservoir beds, free draining beds tend to drain out way too fast because of florida soil
>>
>>988343
Never rely on native soil. Always make your own.
>>
>>988350
Soil used in the bed doesn't matter, the water table being higher in the bed than the very well drained florida sand underneath means you need to water constantly

Wicking reservoirs are much more effective here
>>
>>988181
Because I live in a desert, and sunken beds are more efficient here. I shoot for high organic matter, good water infiltration and using every last drop that falls from the sky or drips from the plants in the morning from the dew.
>>
File: GardenApril2017.jpg (4MB, 3712x2088px) Image search: [Google]
GardenApril2017.jpg
4MB, 3712x2088px
RIP Garden 2016-2017
>>
File: GardenJuly.jpg (3MB, 1200x2696px) Image search: [Google]
GardenJuly.jpg
3MB, 1200x2696px
>>988378
>>
Anyone here tried making ferrocement beds? Was considering it since wood is so expensive and laying wire/cement seems like a useful skill to learn
>>
>>988450
How about, "Hypertufa?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertufa
>>
File: IMG_0996.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0996.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Ozark Beauty strawberries
>>
Saved some rudbeckia hirta/ blackeyed susan seeds last fall from a wildflower field by a path where I live and threw them in the ground last week in my backyard. Has anybody here ever grown them? Should I give them compost?
>>
>>987325

I'm in 8a in georgia and we've been warm since the end of February and everything leaves out but we had a freaked coldsnap two weeks ago which killed my fig plants leaves. My four pomegranates that I grew from seed last year were small enough to protect with garbage bags 5 gallon buckets and leaf piles. I also had a pepper that I successfully overwintered in untill that frost which killed it because it had leaves back out. Luckily my fig made new leaves and my pomegranates survived.
>>
>>988378
>>988380
But why?

>>988485
Mine just started blooming. Can't wait.

>>988488
They could use a little, but the main concern is stratification. Did you stratify them?

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-blackeyed-susan-seeds-43284.html
>>
>>988526

We moved across town. I paid way more for that dirt than I should have, so I moved it to the new house today.

2 4x4x1 raised beds, 16 cubic feet each.

Moist loose soil weighs ~90lbs a cubic foot. We had a lot of rain so lets call it 100lbs.

32ft^3 * 100lbs = 3200 lbs of soil

In review the max payload for my truck is ~2000lbs, so I may have gotten lucky that it didn't fold in on itself or pop the suspension going over the cobblestones in town.
Also, does anybody know the fast way to break straw down? The last renters in this house covered the two garden beds with what looks like an entire bale of straw. I piled it up, hosed it down, and threw some fish fertilizer and high-nitrogen fertilizer on it. I think you need really high temps to get cellulose to break down? Any tricks would be appreciated
>>
File: Oyster.jpg (53KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Oyster.jpg
53KB, 720x960px
Mycelium just poked through to the other side of the cardboard!

This is cloned off of a storebought oyster mushroom via stem butt tissue culture.
>>
>>988526
No I just kept them in an envelope during the winter in a cabinet and sowed them directly outdoors since the nights are about 60 now.
>>
>>988541
Ah I see.

Use pearl oyster mushroom, though it most likely already has something colonizing it and doing things as fast as possible.
>>
>>988541
>>988594
Yeah, your best bet is to use fungi. If you see any inky cap species growing around you, just mix them up with water and use them as a slurry, then cover the whole thing in about 6 inches of soil or grass clippings, it will break down over the course of a year.
>>
>>987696

Anyone have advice for someone interested in agriculture?

I hate my sales job and I want to spend my days in the sun and wind making something. I've worked outdoors before but I have no knowledge of working or owning a farm. I'm looking at job opportunities but how hard is it really to build an orchard or cohesive farmland?
>>
>>988617
Make a small vegetable garden. Try to replace 10% of your food with grown crops. If you can do that, increase it to 25-50% the next year.

This stuff isn't difficult or time consuming, if you have proper knowledge. Not knowing the right way to do something makes it very hard and time consuming. Most people don't know the right way to do much of anything farm related, even when they've lived and work on a farm all their life.

The best thing to do is research into what you want to do and look at things with the idea that there's an easier more effective way to do it. Just remember that someone trying to sell you "their method" only needs to be taken with a grain of salt and lots of research.
>>
>>988617
The best way for you to learn farming would probably be for you to get a job working on an already-established farm.
>>
>>988320
>araucaria
thanks man
>>
>>988627
>>988617

I would add some very general, but important things to that, even for gardeners:

You should always be looking to learn. You should always be willing to try new things, even if on small scale. You should always be willing to fail at trying new things, and then you should always be willing to objectively evaluate why you failed. And finally, you must be willing to have patience far beyond what is normal in our instant gratification society. Some things in agriculture can take years to really come to fruition, be it improving your soil or getting new trees into production.
>>
File: 01+Sand+in+run.jpg (372KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
01+Sand+in+run.jpg
372KB, 1600x1068px
>>987933
I have a feeling I'll have a hard time butchering them when the time comes. I've done it before, but this is the first time they've been mine.

No free rides, but they'll definitely be around until I'm 100% sure they're no longer laying.

Also building an 8x4 raised bed, and I'll be doing a lot of containers on the deck. Been trying to find a local bakery that would be willing to give me their empty 5 gallon food safe buckets.

>Chicken Run and Bedding Material

Anybody have any preferences? I've seen a lot of good things about sand, but my mom swears by wood chips. AFAIK it's gotta be the coarse river type sand, and not playground sand.
>>
>>988680
I don't know anon. I get attached to dogs and people. I'd get attached to a housebroken horse too, I'm sure. Chickens? Not a chance. The circle of life is harsh. Too bad that industrial society has removed us from that.
>>
>>988680
The chickens don't care what the bedding is really, you can leave it with ordinary dirt as far as they're concerned. It'll stink though. You can dump in wood shavings if it's close enough to the house that smell is a big issue, since those are good for the smell, but they're also kind of expensive. You can also put fallen leaves and things there, and shovel it out after as the first part of your composting process, since chicken shit is good fertilizer anyway. Sand or wood chips will look nicer maybe, but I don't see a lot of other benefits. Except that I could see wood chips working like shavings that you don't need to change as much, but then the odor-moderating effect would be diminished as well, and it isn't as good for composting so to me it's a bad trade-off.

>>988685
Chickens have more personality than a lot of people do.
>>
>>988680
native soil with grass clippings on top, with a small patch reserved for a living greens feeder under chicken wire
>>
File: 1491807213157582200996.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1491807213157582200996.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hey, wanting to raise some alpacas, and i couldnt find any good resources in the pastebin. Can i get some advice please? Have a pic of my dog
>>
>>988735
Also, how effective are they in sheep or chicken herding?
>>
>>988722
I guess the idea behind the sand is that you can scoop it like cat litter using a rake + some hardware cloth, and that it tends to drain well.

These chickens are in my backyard in the city, so keeping it smell free and good looking is high on my list. I miss the days of living in the middle of nowhere in Vermont, just used hay for everything.

>>988685
I dunno, I think they are fun to watch. I usually socialize them so they don't care if you pick them up and will usually hang out when you're doing yard work. I should probably distance myself from them more in that regard.
>>
>>988560
>>988583
Is mushroom guy from the other thread around? What do you guys think would be a good beginner mushroom to plant? I'd like to do it indoors but that isn't essential.
>>
>>988740

Oyster mushrooms are the easiest, they are very forgiving with everything from spawn preparation to substrate, it's hard to mess them up. You can grow them on everything from newspaper to straw to sawdust, they're not picky.
>>
>>988735

that's a disgustingly fat doggo, give him less food
>>
>>988743
Neat how do they taste, any recommend reading or tips for someone completely new to it and wanting to learn? Also thanks for the reply.
>>
Things are looking good in zone 7. Sheet mulching from last summer, about 20x6, is looking good. Cased it with old hay and straw, seeing several varieties of mushrooms in it this week. Built a raised bed out of black locust slabs last summer, 18 inches high, filled it half full with compost and manure. Excited to try some lettuce and strawberries in it. All I've done so far this year is compost two 3x3 hot piles that are now ready. Black gold. Happy gardening, everyone.

>>988781

Notice the nipples, notice your lack of awareness.
>>
>>988830
male doggos have nipnops too anon and they only swell like leeches on dogs who become cheese-filled fat fucks, like that one
>>
>>988735
Alpacas and Llamas can be killed by a parasite (Meningeal Worm/Brain Worm/Deer Worm) found in deer feces. If you have deer in your area you must completely fence off any pasture land the alpacas will be grazing on. Do some research on it.
>>
>>988680
I use straw, hay, and dry yard grass. All of it is free. The straw and hay comes from a local business that sells bales of hay/straw. They have a lot of loose hay/straw left in their semi trailers that gets dumped out and never used. They let me take it all. I can get a 3-4 truck loads sometimes. Now I use contractor trash bags that can be reused and stored out in the open when full.

I use this stuff for 2 reasons. The first is that it is free! The second is that if the hens crap in the bedding it will filter down under the hay/straw pretty quickly. I use it for the same reason on the coop floor. A bio-zone forms and you can just put new hay on top of the old for a few months. The microbes and insects in that layer and the new hay on top prevents problems with odor and dust. The chickens also scratch it around for the insects, ensuring poop goes down and hay/straw comes up. It reduces work needed to constantly change the litter every month. Then i chuck it into the compost or put it around some orchard trees.

I've used leaves, wood chips, and sawdust before. The leaves lose their bulk very quickly and constantly need replaced. the sawdust tended to form hard cakes. The wood chips are "okay" but I find the hay and straw much easier to work with. I only use wood chips if I can get the local tree trimmer guys to dump the chips in my yard on their way through from a job.

I've never heard of using sand. It doesn't seem like it'd be very nice to work with in a coop or as bedding. Too high maintenance. My "run' is nearly an acre of open ground with grass under all my orchard trees and blackberry brambles. I use gravel near the coop to reduce mud problems in that high traffic area.
>>
>>988722
>Chickens have more personality than a lot of people do.

That only happens if you are hanging around them observing them and petting on them. It happens when you do that to people too. It is just a psychological projection, since everything has a good amount of personality.

>>988737
>I should probably distance myself from them more in that regard.

If you are going to be eating them, yes. The best way to help ease you mind for that type of thing is to have "too many" chickens. The human mind can only personalize so many animals that "mostly" look the same. If you have 5 chickens, it will kill you to butcher them. If you have 50 chickens then butchering a dozen isn't going to be a problem because you've socialized with only a few that you recognize easily. You end up butchering the ones you don't know well at all.

This is somewhat required when you start raising things like rabbits, goats, cows, etc. Large herds make it much easier.

Watch out for people who have small amounts of farm animals and who find it very easy to butcher them.
>>
>>988831
>>>/b/
>>
>>988737
I just don't get attached to fowl. The Disney anthropomorphic propaganda didn't work on me. It's probably why I did just fine having a feral coydog as a pet. I understood that she wasn't human and I understood that she wasn't really a dog either.
>>
>>988012

dude, just no. its so easy building a small greenhouse and it'll be an actual building not some faggy bubble
>>
File: Leaves.png (42KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
Leaves.png
42KB, 666x666px
Hey folks,

Been growing some woad to harvest the leaves for indigo extraction.
This spring the plants lost many leaves, or they are smaller, and it's mostly long stems.
Also the tops are developing some flowerbuds.

Is there anything I can do to increase the amount of leaves produced?
Instead of more/longer stems with useless flowers.

I heard cutting the buds off might help, don't quite see how that would work.

Thanks
>>
>>988909
Flowering uses up a lot of energy, so if you nip them, the plant has more energy to grow leaves.
>>
>>988915
Yeah that makes sense, but wouldn't the plant then panic and put even more energy into flowering again?
>>
>>988916
>opinion incoming, I don't really know
I think they make more leaves first because they get a lot of energy from the sun too?
>>
>>988916
That's probably going to depend on the plant. Once lettuce starts bolting, it's gonna bolt. A peach tree that gets hit by a hard frost while in blossom is going to wait until next year. You can probably find everything in between - even acknowledging that I just compared a perennial to an annual.
>>
>>988918
>>988922
thanks guys, well I guess the ideal situation would be having two plants.
One to nip and one to flower, that way I can also get seeds for next year.

I also heard that nipping half the plant won't work.
>>
>>988889
Disassembling and storing it when not in use is the major selling point.

>>988909
Nitrogen
>>
>>988953
I have some KNO3 lying around.
How many grams would you reckon for one plant?
It has about 7 stems and is eh, 75+ cm, 2.5 feet?

All in one go or in increments?
>>
>>988012
looks like you're gonna lose the thing in the first mild storm
>>
File: IMG_20170410_194556.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170410_194556.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Mother bought this plant and keep asking me to find what it's called.
Anyone know?
>>
>>988978
I'm no expert, but my google fu tells me Madagascar Jewel?
>When damaged the plant secretes a white fluid which is toxic, causes severe skin irritation and may be a tumor promoting agent.
>>
>>987696
hey guys, can I get some tips on growing some blueberries? Container or straight into the ground? Or would a different berry be easier. I just started gardening and such so I don't know too much.
>>
>>988857
Yeah but who can eat fifty chickens worth of eggs?
>>
>>988909
>Been growing some woad to harvest the leaves for indigo extraction.
Now, I come here and I have a garden, and I go to /diy/ and I don't buy hardly anything if I can help it. But when it comes to this, my first thought is "why don't you just buy it?" The work/reward on dyes is terrible, isn't it?
>>
>>988981
I have plans for a small blue berry orchards. Get to know what variety your using some bush out nicely in full sun. Others can become monstrous climbers.

>container or straight in the ground.
On something you intend on harvesting a yeld from always plant in ground. The tricky thing about blueberries is they like very low PH (4-5) so either get really acidic soil, amend your own soil, or rig up a siphon in your irrigation line that turns It's water to acidic. I still am not sure which method I'm going to use.
>>
>>988975
I suggest you google it and do a soil test if needed.

>>988976
Yeah, my thoughts too, but they have straps for the larger ones. Without straps they are rated to 40mph winds which is basically nothing.

>>988981
Ground planting will do far far better. Blueberry bushes are pretty much plant and forget aside from getting the soil pH correct and fertilizing.

>>988988
>The work/reward on dyes is terrible, isn't it?

Not really. But, if you really want to compare, almost everything is cheaper in bulk from China. Where would you like your time and money to go to, China?
>>
>>988988
Oh because it's fun?
I absolutely love chemistry and extracting interesting stuff from plants is totally worth the effort.
There aren't many plants that produce usable amounts of blue pigment, in this case indigo.
>>
>>988909
pinch off the tips of any branches before they start to bud. This should encourage it to grow more branches.
>>
>>989120
I think all branches have developed some buds at the top.
By pinching before they start to bud, you mean before they flower/open?
I can still nip them while they're developed buds, but before they flower right?
>>
File: IMG_20170410_235820.jpg (194KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170410_235820.jpg
194KB, 1000x600px
who else creative?

i like to make every recycled pot uniqe for each buyer.

here are some with tribal motifs.
>>
File: IMG_20170411_000002.jpg (236KB, 1001x984px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170411_000002.jpg
236KB, 1001x984px
people love these
>>
>>989214
>>989218
Nice, it certinally helps for sales I'm sure.
>>
File: 2017-04-10_19-11-56.jpg (374KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-10_19-11-56.jpg
374KB, 1200x800px
Who or what might be fucking my Chinese pear's shit up?
Leaves have barely shot and are already under attack from something
>>
>>989266
Looks like physical damage to those two leaves happened at the same time when they were still in bud form. Hence the somewhat symmetrical patterning on both. Kinda looks like a cat bit the top of the plant when it was lower and those buds were at the top then.
>>
>>989266
to much acid
>>
>>988740
Mushroom guy here. Oyster mushrooms are easiest, like I told some other anon, if your climate is right go for a hardwood log grow outdoors (around a years worth of waiting time) or go for an indoor grow (my preferred way, only takes about 3 weeks if done right)
Indoor grow, buy a kit, get your fruiting method figured out, and then use the kit to inoculate other things to extend it.
Outdoor logs, just buy some colonized dowels, and hammer them into hardwood logs to inoculate.

>>988823
Not that anon, but oyster mushrooms taste similar to pork when fried in butter. To me atleast. They go well in soups, and fried, they have a nice savory taste.
Get the book Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets if you want to do outdoor grows, and get Growing Gourmet and Edible Mushrooms by the same guy if you want to do indoor grows.
For general mycology knowledge at a relatively advanced level, get "The Fifth Kingdom" by Bryce Kendrick
>>
File: IMG_20170411_043350.jpg (241KB, 1000x652px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170411_043350.jpg
241KB, 1000x652px
garden is becoming a mecha
>>
>>989404
I think you mean Mecca.
Though the former would be a lot cooler.
>>
If I want to grow vegetables, should I go for white fluorescent grow lights? The bestsellers on Amazon are those red/blue ones, but I think those are just for DUDE WEED.
>>
>>989512
you want blue spectrum lights for veg growth, yellow for algae and red for flowering
>>
File: caloriesperpound.png (39KB, 429x314px) Image search: [Google]
caloriesperpound.png
39KB, 429x314px
What animal is the most efficient source of meat calories?
>>
>>989572
I hear pigs will eat nearly anything, so you could feed them off your scraps and garbage rather than having to buy food for them.
Cows provide the most calories per individual animal, and all you need to feed them is a lot of grassy field.
Rabbits and chickens breed quickly and can be butchered just 8-12 weeks after birth, making them a very fast source of meat calories.

Really depends on what specific kind of efficiency you're going for. Time-efficient, cost-efficient, and work-efficient are all different categories.
>>
>>989572
Most animals eat food to make food.
Pigs eat garbage to make food.
Thus if you want to optimize for food, you want pigs.
>>
>>989383
>Growing Gourmet and Edible Mushrooms
I could only find Growing Gourmet and Medicinal? I might give indoor ago as the area i live can get pretty cold and we may be getting frost soonish. They also sound like they taste interesting might have to try buying some. Thanks again for the advice mushroom anon.
>>
File: 1491725819401.jpg (102KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
1491725819401.jpg
102KB, 600x471px
>>988831
What the fug?
>>
>>989512
LED white is best. You are right about the DUDE WEED ones. Those are not good for veggies, only good for weed.

>>989404
Needs MORE LIGHT. Make a reflector, use a lamp, fucking SOMETHING. Even that stick is leaning, there's so little light.

>>989572
Chickens, specifically "Cornish Rock Cross" (Cornish X Rock). They grow so fast that t hey break legs from their weight and have heart attacks. You have to be pretty careful with them. I'll not raise them ever again because it is pretty fucking horrible. They just sit and eat all damn day and do nothing else at all. Their feathers are not even fully in when you go to butcher them 8-9 weeks of age depending on weight. They are pretty tasty too.
>>
>sarracenia I got in the fall is finally sending out its first leaf
oh boy am i excited
>>
File: DSCN8875a.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8875a.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
Boat lily is blooming. Woo.
>>
orchid rsurgence
>>
File: 20130308_001329.jpg (45KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
20130308_001329.jpg
45KB, 590x443px
>>989805
>>
>>989404
Can you explain to me what you're doing here other then saving money on flats and pots? I'm not sure if I'm impressed or flabbergasted. Did a Willy Wonka'esk hippy help you design this?
>>
>>988526
2nd year growth?
I'm going to be pulling the first blooms to get the plant stronger first. Also using a low phosphate fertilizer to focus on roots did leaves and come June I'll throw I higher phosphate fertilizer at them
>>
>>989634
That's the one.
As for outdoor growing, cold doesn't affect them too bad. Heat is the main thing that can get in the way. Mushroom logs can freeze solid and keep trucking along for years to come.
>>
File: garden2017.jpg (513KB, 1125x1000px) Image search: [Google]
garden2017.jpg
513KB, 1125x1000px
This will be my fourth year in this space. I got my beds cleaned up, and planted, I'm so excited for this year's garden! It was really pitiful in 2016 with overwork and sick family.
I've never had so much mulch before... So luxurious!! (my spouse is getting a good discount from work on the bagged stuff, and a neighbor said I could take all his pine needles)

This year I'm trying only direct sowing and hope it goes well! So yesterday, with the waxing moon, I planted all the above-ground crops, and today, waning moon, all the root crops. They're also fine days per the moon in the zodiac if you subscribe to that stuff.

Then it got too hot so I made this map and got way too in to it!

Next year I want to use only heirlooms so I can collect seeds/let everything freely reseed. Also I want to look into better rain collection for many reasons but especially because our outside water goes through the softener and gets salted.

>>987882
>>987883
Wow, so many!

>>988211
>designated paths around the growing plots... prevent compaction of the soil
That's what I do
Nice shapes! How do you like the cinder blocks? I remember hearing they could leach nasties into the soil? :(

>>988830
Sounds good! Hi from 7b

>>988909
Cool! I hope you will post progress. I don't know anything about it but want to try someday.
>>
File: Raised Beds 04a.png (657KB, 7528x3180px) Image search: [Google]
Raised Beds 04a.png
657KB, 7528x3180px
>>990139
Yeah, it is a pretty old bed actually. I need to revitalize it.

>>990252
>How do you like the cinder blocks?

I like being able to move things around if it is needed.

I've just started planning my large raised bed garden out. I'm about to plan the smaller on in >>988211 but nothing as precise as what you made. I need more room. Looks good so far. Post pics of the growing season.
>>
File: IMG_20170411_124247.jpg (4MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170411_124247.jpg
4MB, 4160x2336px
Feels good man
>>
>>989218
more
>>
File: IMG_20170412_030904.jpg (115KB, 600x765px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170412_030904.jpg
115KB, 600x765px
>>990267
tribal octopus pot,
very uniqe
best seller
>>
>>990252
How effective is the marigold/nasturtium combo? I know nasturtium work very well to attract aphids and deter them from other plants, but never tried marigold as a repulsive
>>
>>990252
How'd you make your map? Mspaint/gimp? Actually looks nicer and less restrictive than the garden planner programs I've seen.
>>
>>990252
Where do you get the seeds for the chair?
>>
File: 20170411_185200.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_185200.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
>>987696
Morel patch I put in last spring just started popping up.
Last may I had a few mushrooms that I had drunkenly forgotten in my car. So I pitched them into the flower bed.
Last fall I spread some cedar chips.
Good ol dumb luck
>>
Hey Guys.

I've noticed these strange Pink Phalluses sprouting in my herb garden.

They sprout overnight and then by the next day they have shrink or decayed completely. They are contained to one area but they seem to be spreading.

They smell like literal shit and are always covered in flies. We had a storm last week and the attraction was so great that even in wind and rain the flies stayed on the tips.

Does anyone know what these are and what they might mean for my garden? My location is in Brisbane, Australia if that helps.
>>
>>990230
Why have I not done tried this sooner? Just did not think mushroom would be hardyish or easy to grow for some reason. Alright I'll pick up that book asap.
>>
>>990549
Probably a type of stinkhorn.
>>
>>990554
Yep found them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysurus_mokusin

Should I actively try to remove them or just let them sprout themselves out?
>>
So... for reasons, I got new pots with soil in them. However, I'm using the term soil in a very loose sense. It would be more fair to say I got some pots with leaves and sticks on them. No plant have survived in there because if I have to dig until I find firm soil, is too deep for the plant to receive enough sun. And if I put the seed closer to the surface, the roots never find something to hold on.

Any advice?

Should I mix it with sand? Throw worms and hope they digest it and made it sustainable? Just throw it away?
>>
Where does cinnamon came from?
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1491958339203.jpg (682KB, 1024x1190px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1491958339203.jpg
682KB, 1024x1190px
Has anyone cloned cuttings using honey?

Also as anyone attempted to clone rose rootstock?
>>
>>990598
From roots of the Mexican Travestido tree.
>>
File: Clathrus ruber.jpg (24KB, 326x245px) Image search: [Google]
Clathrus ruber.jpg
24KB, 326x245px
>>990550
It is just a growing niche thing at this point. Most people don't give a damn about fungi, let alone have the interest to ind out how cool/easy they are to grow. It is picking up steam as an industry though

>>990554
Correct ID

>>990560
Removing them will not help. Neither will letting them go to spore.

It lives as an underground organism, and is much larger and widely distributed than the visible fruiting body. To get rid of it you would have to till and replace all the soil/mulch, and add a fuckton of lime to your soil.
Thankfully, it is only acting to help your garden by releasing more nutrients from the organics in the soil. Flies also act as pollinators.
No reason to remove other than the smell. This is another related species that looks pretty interesting.
>>
>>990683
Awesome thanks. I'll just learn to live with them.

I have a feeling that they are growing along the roots of a dead tree in the garden. The roots I believe travel along the whole length of the gardenbed. I can't really remove the soil as they are growing inbetween my plants.

Thanks though and I'll just watch them.
>>
File: 800wlight.jpg (325KB, 1383x778px) Image search: [Google]
800wlight.jpg
325KB, 1383x778px
My sproutlings at this wall are maybe only getting 1-2 hours of direct light a day here.

Is an 800w incandescent light going to help them much?

To be energy conscious what about a white fluorescent light?
>>
>>990550
>>990683
Had been thinking about shrooms every once in a while too, but aren't those starter kits more expensive than buying the amount you can harvest from the store?
Also the super sterile environment is quite difficult to pull of I think. Plus the only ones I really like (portobello) seem to be especially difficult to pull off, I unfortunately have no place where it's constantly around 15°C
>>
>>989292
Could be, I just bought it back in February so hopefully this is something from when it still was in storage
>>989309
Just checked the pH of the garden soil, 7.7, so not from that. Maybe the potting soil it came in is different, but if that's the case it'll soon have grown through that anyway
>>
File: types_of_cinnamon_416.jpg (123KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
types_of_cinnamon_416.jpg
123KB, 416x416px
>>990598
>>990608
It comes from the inner bark of an evergreen tree originally from Sri Lanka. Madascar and Mexico now grow it too. The scientific name is "Cinnamomum verum" aka Ceylon Cinnamon "real cinnamon". It is pretty expensive too ($15-$25 per pound of sticks). Everything else is a more toxic variety from other parts of the world. The toxic ones contain coumarin. C. verum has a tiny tiny amount of this, but the most common cinnamon used in the USA is C. cassia which contains the most toxin. Eating as little as 1-2 teaspoons in a day will make you overdose on the toxin. This is easy to do when you are eating lots of foods that contain cinnamon (holiday meals/) in them or are taking cinnamon supplements. The FDA doesn't have control limits on coumarin, but the European Union does.

The real cinnamon is less spicy and more aromatic and sweet.
>>
>>990606
Pure honey or honey water mixture? I make cuttings a lot. I have some mulberry trees that I grew from cuttings. I'm going to use those to make 100s more this season. Though, I just shove them into the ground and keep them moist. Willow water is what I normally use when I have a small amount of cuttings I really want to root well.

>>990746
It will help. You do need far more light though. LED is best, but fluorescent will work too. Use a cheap shop light and keep it about 2 inches from the leaves.
>>
>>990787
>Mexico

Why on earth did I type that? I meant "Brazil."
>>
>>990787
Both are real cinnamon.
Dumbass thx for the info
>>
>>990793
No, only ceylon is real cinnamon. If you can't afford it that's fine, but no need to whine about it like a babby.
>>
>>990746
That light is plenty.
>>
File: chairseeds.jpg (120KB, 439x600px) Image search: [Google]
chairseeds.jpg
120KB, 439x600px
>>990258
Nice map, sounds delicious! (And beautiful- Painted mountain corn) I never heard of gypsy peppers before, or luffa sponge- do you grow it to eat or use as a scrubber?
I'll post pics as it grows and will watch out for yours too!

>>990472
>How effective is the marigold/nasturtium combo?
It works good for me, unless it's just dumb luck, I haven't had much problem at all with bugs and use zero pesticides. The only insects that 'bug' me are cabbage butterflies (putting egg shell halves or little oyster shells on the brassica leaves helps a lot though-- I guess they think the white is another butterfly already laying on the leaf and they keep looking-- but the shells blow off in the wind and have to be repositioned every day or two -- that and picking little caterpillars regularly) and my squashes have succumbed to squash bugs although considerably later in the season than some folks nearby

The marigolds are a wonder plant, they grow well in the poorer soil outside the beds, bloom all summer, attract a ton of butterflies and bees, according to wikipedia repel/distract "root-knot nematodes, beet leaf hoppers, cucumber beetle, squash bug, onion fly, cabbage root fly" and "produce a pesticidal chemical from their roots, so strong it lasts years after they are gone." I will always have them in my garden.

The nasturtiums are so pretty, and nice to put a peppery leaf or bright flower onto salads. They are supposed to be a trap crop for aphids, attract predatory insects, and supposedly repel/distract "asparagus beetle, cabbage looper, cabbage worm, carrot fly, cabbage weevil, Colorado potato beetle squash bug, Japanese beetle, Mexican bean beetle,striped pumpkin beetles, whitefly, cucumber beetles, flea beetle."

>>990504
Thanks! I use Adobe InDesign for anything typographic.

>>990538
Lol :)
I picked up a packet for fence and gate at the same time, lucky find
>>
File: Great-cthulhu.jpg (101KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
Great-cthulhu.jpg
101KB, 540x405px
>>990458
whoa lovecraft.
whats growing in it?
>>
>>990801
>"the two main varieties of cinnamon"
>only one is cinnamon
>>
File: 8342670652011188135-account_id=1.jpg (360KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
8342670652011188135-account_id=1.jpg
360KB, 1152x2048px
At what point is something considered 'leggy'?
These are my tallest seedlings, 3rd set of leaves is just starting to show up, I have a few others half the length that are just starting to grow their second set of leaves.
>>
File: 1380924137178.gif (996KB, 448x352px) Image search: [Google]
1380924137178.gif
996KB, 448x352px
>>990856
https://www.google.com/search?q=real+cinnamon
>>
>>990869
Those look good, don't worry.
>>
>>990807
Not even close.
>>
>>990819
Thanks for the input about marigold, good luck with your garden.
>>
>>988219
Ah okay, thanks.
Some peppers are a bitch to get to sprout. Most people say it's the really hot peppers but like your bhuts, my Carolina Reapers were one of the first to sprout, while my Habanero Mustards did not want to at all. In three different attempts.
>>
File: DSCN8884a.jpg (1MB, 1024x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8884a.jpg
1MB, 1024x2304px
I stuck 142 mulberry cuttings into one of my beds, in an out of the way place. Hopefully, a few will take root.
>>
>>990869
When they start to fall over or grow more sideways, then theyare leggy.
>>
File: peper_20170412_171823.jpg (1MB, 3803x1701px) Image search: [Google]
peper_20170412_171823.jpg
1MB, 3803x1701px
>>991071
Yeah, I was a bit worried because I read that superhots can be very slow to sprout, but so far only the Marbles and Bolivian Rainbow are being a bitch, both have just 1 sickly looking seedling just above ground, all the rest all 3 are sprouting, except for the explosive ember, 1 rotted, but the other 2 are way ahead of all the rest, as you can see.

>>990879
>>991086
Alright, thanks
>>
>>990252
Oh sure! I'm a first time poster on this board, but I'll be happy to post some progress on the indigo extraction.
I've done it before but I lost the pictures because my SD-cart became corrupt.
Currently asking a friend to whom I might have send one of the images of the final product.
>>
>>990504
Inkscape is also nice, I used it for this:
>>988909
>>
>>988219
What conditions are you keeping them in?
I put a bunch of Bolivian Rainbow seeds on wet cotton pads a good two weeks ago, one week ago started heating them to about 27-28C since I read that some peppers won't really want to sprout below that, but they don't show any activity. Was thinking about moving them to rockwool or soil.
>>
>>991101
Same treatment for all: soaked overnight in weak camomile tea, then put em in a potting soil/perlite mix (2 to 1), in one of them germination boxes a friend gave me. Set it on a heatmat, with 2x 30w cfl bulbs over it. Temperature is usually around 30°, drops to about 25 when I leave the cover off, we still have pretty cool weather and I don't like heating my bedroom.
The explosive embers popped up in 3 days, the slowest ones are only just now (2 weeks in) showing signs of life, with a few still inactive, but not rotten for as far as I can tell (first time I'm doing this).
>>
>>991101
I put bolivian rainbow directly into soil, took about a week and half to germinate. I think the wet cotton pad method is kind of tricky, it's very easy to let it mold.
>>
>>991077
Looks good anon
Good luck

What's growing to the left in the last picture?
>>
File: straw.jpg (4MB, 3480x1958px) Image search: [Google]
straw.jpg
4MB, 3480x1958px
Jesus christ, there was a lot of straw
>>
>>990759
There is enough of a variety in species to cover essentially every climate on earth.
The sterile steps aren't necessary to get most of your toes into mushroom growing, there is quite a lot you can do without sterile technique/facilities.
Generally, yes, the yield off of one mushroom kit will be pricier (still cheap) than just buying them at the store, but with a tiny bit of knowledge and equipment you can prolong that one kit into potentially hundreds of kits. One quality of mycelium is exponential growth. Another bonus, there are many species that cannot be found in stores, maybe can't even be found on your continent.
Also, don't resign yourself just because portobellos are hard to grow, there are others that are extremely similar that are easier. And, very few species require the techniques that portobellos do, the process is simpler for most other species.
>>
i don't think this corn is coming up. oh well, try again in may. I got time to learn this. It's amazing it's so lush around here with how bad the soil is.
>>
File: 1492037021000.jpg (220KB, 435x679px) Image search: [Google]
1492037021000.jpg
220KB, 435x679px
>>991167
>Happy compost is happy.

That will all melt down to like a few inches at most, depending on how much is only straw. I put massive heap after heap of yard grass from my mower into my beds and it all flattens out to almost nothing over time. It is impressive actually.
>>
>>991130
>What's growing to the left in the last picture?

Elephant garlic and rampant purple dead nettle. I need to eat more purple dead nettle or tear it out. I recently tore out all my chickweed though I eat a lot more of it than PDN. At the end of this season the bulbils-grown elephant garlic will be old enough to dig up and redistribute properly. That bed needs a ton of soil.
>>
>>991180
If the weather and soil are cool it will take 2 weeks or longer for corn to germinate. Warm soil will make it germinate just over a week.
>>
File: beds.jpg (4MB, 1958x3480px) Image search: [Google]
beds.jpg
4MB, 1958x3480px
>>991181

It's just straw and dirt, sprinkled with campfire ashes every couple of shovelfuls.

Kitchen scraps will be blended and dumped in wherever I can get a pitchfork tine in.

That's what I did to the pile on the left, which is going to be added to these raised beds sometime this weekend.

Arsenic tests coming soon...
>>
>>991186
Remember to save your piss jugs ("compost activator") to pour on the compost. It adds urea which turns into ammonia then into nitrogen. It will soak into the compost before turning into ammonia so that it won't escape into the atmosphere and be lost.

>pic

Nice beds. You should look into buying a cattle panel to make an archway over that walkway for your vines/tomatoes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cattle+panel+garden&tbm=isch
>>
Is all mold dangerous to plants?

The peat seedling tray that I've got my tomato seedlings in has a bit of wispy white fuzz growing on the sides.
>>
>>991194
It should be fine unless the plant itself is compromised. Let the soil dry out a little more between watering. You may need to increase the size of the container if you can't maintain proper moisture levels.
>>
My potatoes have all poked up from the ground now.

And i had my first homegrown salad of the year today.

My chocolate mint and oregano have barely grown in the last month. :(
>>
>>991194
No, in fact many molds are helpful. Look into adding Trichoderma spores to soil for increased yields.
>>
File: IMG_1605.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1605.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Anyone know what kind of tree this is? It just popped up about a year ago. Sorry if it gets uploaded sideways
>>
File: IMG_1606.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1606.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>991234
Here's a close up of some leaves
>>
>>991234
>>991236
What part of the world? It reminds me of a fruit tree of some kind.
>>
File: tree1.jpg (63KB, 496x881px) Image search: [Google]
tree1.jpg
63KB, 496x881px
>>991234

Alright sequentials, lets figure this out together.
>>
File: tree2.jpg (2MB, 1958x3480px) Image search: [Google]
tree2.jpg
2MB, 1958x3480px
>>991296
>>991234

East or West US?
>>
File: 20170409_111547.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_111547.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>990790
Yea, It's a table spoon of raw honey in 2 cups of water. The idea being that honey's anti microbial properties keep the roots healthy while rooting. Also it may help with generating roots. I'll keep this thread updated.

Lucky on the mulberry. Some stuff roots effortlessly

>willow water
Wut? How can I make this, I know where a weeping willow grows. Also the honey recipe I got said to use it with the honey.
>>
>>990787
Hey thanks for that info! Can I grow the true cinnamon in zone 9?

I was just being a smartass with this post >>990608 I didn't know it actually came from Mexico.
>>
>>991236
>>991271
looks like lemon, I think
>>
>>989646
>Needs MORE LIGHT. Make a reflector, use a lamp, fucking SOMETHING. Even that stick is leaning, there's so little light.

LOL, not the poster that you're responding to, but I intentionally let my starts get a bit spindly, then set them outside in a place that gets about 2 hours of morning sun and left them. I'm abusive with my plants that I plan on saving seed from, and comparing my peppers, which have had several generations of this treatment, to my tomatoes speaks volumes. Out of about 35 tomatoes, 3 survived, and will be the bulk of what I save seed from. Of the ~100 peppers, about 70 survived.

FYI, I'm always adding new cultivars into the mix when I'm abusive like that.
>>
>>991419
Not the same anon, but willow water is made by doing a water extract of willow bark/twigs. Basically willow tea.
Willows contain salicylic acid, which acts as an antimicrobial as well as being a potent rooting hormone. Not only does it keep the water fresh, but it forces most plants into sending out roots.
>>
>>991527
>>991419
Oh, and weeping willow will work.
>>
File: Indigo.png (582KB, 675x887px) Image search: [Google]
Indigo.png
582KB, 675x887px
>>988909
This was the first batch I think.
It looks the best in water or acetone, it's not very good looking as a powder.

The second batch failed, the indigo didn't drop out of solution.
After letting it stand it quickly developed mold everywhere.
>>
>>991419
>>991527
>>991528
>>991559
You just cut some willow branches off like you are going to make cuttings. Put them in a bucket of water for a week. They will start growing roots. Then put in your other plant cuttings, into the same water. You can put your other cuttings into the water with the willow cuttings at the same time if you want, but it is better to wait for a stronger mixture after the willow cuttings develop roots. Leave your cuttings in the water until they grow roots.
>>
>>991101
>>991116
Put them in soil.
I have 26 kinds of peppers this year and all but 2 two have sprouted (and here i suspect its the seeds, came from the same vendor). Had them all directly in soil.
You could get something like pic related, helps keeping them warm and they are cheap on eBay.
>>
>>991094
Looking at your picture I'd say they aren't thatfar ahead. I head several peppers who took their sweet time while others popped up after two days. So I wouldn't worry yet. But you could put a few seeds in new pots and see if they fare better, maybe get something like >>991635.
>>
>>991638
*that far
*had
>>
File: earthpigments.jpg (199KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
earthpigments.jpg
199KB, 1000x750px
Put hummingbird feeders out this morning, now the waiting starts

>>991043
Sure, hope it works for you!
>>991077
Looks nice, good luck
>>991099
>>991559
Cool! What are you planning to dye with it?
(Pic: earth pigments, purchased tho)
>>991110
Why chamomile tea?
>>991220
Cheers to first salad!
>>991527
Wish I had a willow tree... got to beg a cutting off someone
>>
File: IMG_20170413_153620.jpg (116KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170413_153620.jpg
116KB, 1500x844px
>>991641
>>991638
They are in a thing like that, I took the cover off for the picture, and so they get some fresh air.
13/18 sprouted so far, I won't have enough room as is, so I won't be planting any extra this year.
>>
>>991646
>Why chamomile tea?
Antibacterial/fungal, according to the internet.
>>
>>991646
>Wish I had a willow tree

You probably have willow species you can use that grow locally. Pretty much and Salix will do. Where I live we have peach-leaf willows that everyone calls "creek willow" (Salix amygdaloides). It is great for this sort of thing and grows along just about all waterways here. They don't look like weeping willows and many times are just small shrubs in ditches and around culverts. Something similar may grow in your area.
>>
>>991298
Sorry to respond so late. I live in Cary NC.
>>
>>991646
Ah cool, you should totally label them btw.
Curious to know what the different colors are made of, or what their source is.

I wasn't planning to dye anything with my indigo.
The extraction of a single plant probably doesn't produce enough to really dye anything.
And the dying process, according to certain sources, requires special solvents or a reducing solution.
I might however put it through an NMR machine to check the purity.
>>
When I transplant my pepper seedlings to bigger pots, can I use expanded clay pebbles as ground cover to keep moisture in, or is bark better?
>>
>>991850
Do not keep the moisture in. Use pots that drain well. Peppers don't like to stand in too much water.
Water more frequent instead.
>>
>>991850
If weed suppression is your goal then the clay will work fine. It will also wick away and evaporate the surface moisture a bit. Just remember that adding anything on the surface will have a net effect of: >>991859 but stuff like gravel, sand, and expanded clay help prevent that from happening as much.
>>
File: pysanky.jpg (367KB, 810x810px) Image search: [Google]
pysanky.jpg
367KB, 810x810px
>>991787
Oh, the labels are on the other side of the bottles! They are all earth pigments (dirts), these are from naturalpigments. Left to right:
Row 1: armenian purple ochre | italian vicenzia earth (kaolin) | verona green earth (glauconite) | russian blue ochre (vivanite)
2: venetian red (iron oxide) | french yellow ochre light | antica green earth (glauconite) | raw umber (iron and manganese)
3: italian burnt sienna | french yellow ochre dark | italian green umber | german cassel earth (pyrolusite goethite lignite)

I have some nice mineral pigments-- ground stones, malachite and lapis, so lovely. I experiment a bit with collecting/making my own but am not too far along yet, my best being some ground purple whip coral that makes a purplish-red. It's exciting because fast purple pigments, like blues, are so rare in nature, but I want to try to do it better, see if I can get it to look more purple, maybe by just scraping the outside of the coral, or grinding to a different size.

What's a NMR? "Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy" Oh, looks pretty fancy!! Chemist?
Some websites suggest indigo is a "substantive dye" not needing a mordant? I've heard of indigo precipitated onto clay to use as a pigment, or indigo being used with glair/egg tempera for manuscript/panel painting respectively. I dig it's just a fun experiment but if I were you I would try to make a dope natural dyed wax-resist easter egg :)
(pic related not mine though)

>>991656
Thanks

>>991670
Thanks, you inspired me to look up our native willows, No peach-leaf willow for me, but Black Willow (salix nigra) is reported found in my county. I've seen a weeping willow in a yard a few miles away, I ought to suck it up, knock on a door and see if they mind me taking some!
>>
File: DSCN8889a.jpg (4MB, 4096x2300px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8889a.jpg
4MB, 4096x2300px
>finally have everything out of the house and into the polytunnel
>summer squash plant is starting to bloom and should bloom tomorrow morning (Q-tips on standby)
>a few gypsy pepper seeds are breaking through the soil now
>frost-bitten purple potatoes have recovered and are covered against frost now
>weed sprouting in last bed is astronomical (soil came from a different location than everything else and the recent mixing with sand caused 1000s of grass seeds to germinate)
>spying places to put more plants in the dedicated beds

I can't wait for this to get into full swing. I still have an arsenal of seeds ready to plant at the end of the month.

>>991873
Remember, the cuttings of willow will grow into new trees very easily. They are great for slipping into the ground on slopes to prevent erosion.
>>
>>991878
>the cuttings of willow will grow into new trees very easily
So I have heard! I've been wanting to use willow water for other plant cuttings, too.
>pic
Looking good!
>>
File: DSCF7642a.jpg (295KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7642a.jpg
295KB, 1024x1365px
>>991887
Thanks.

I found that the willows grow so fast that they make a great plant for practicing bonsai in a short amount of time. Although, the peach-leaf willow grow so fast that I had to repot them 2 times a year because they'd become root bound.
>>
What's your favorite flower /homegrowmen/?
Personally I love marigolds.
>>
>>991982
morning glories
>>
File: 1481494797941.png (25KB, 655x509px) Image search: [Google]
1481494797941.png
25KB, 655x509px
>tomato seedlings don't look too good, starting to bend
>figure they need more light
>set tray in front of a window
>they don't straighten out and one of them wilts within a day
>figure maybe the windows are blocking the UV, put the tray outside in the shade of an umbrella
>four more seedlings go limp before the sun sets
>>
File: tree3.jpg (5MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
tree3.jpg
5MB, 2610x4640px
>>991731
>>991234
>>991236

OK, defs looks like a simple broad leaf.

Can anybody tell if the leaves are opposite or alternate? I'm leaning slightly opposite
>>
>>992004
Check the moisture content of the soil.
>>
>>991606
>>991527
>>991528

... you leave the cutting IN the water that willow wood has been soaking in for a week!?

I don't boil the willow bark?

The cuttings (rose in my case) just sit there in the willow water with the bottom node submerged!?
>>
File: IMG_7213.JPG.jpg (449KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7213.JPG.jpg
449KB, 1200x900px
Planted eight red cabbages today, eight Bok Choy and a few leeks. Haven't planted anything in a while, so it feels good man.
>>
File: IMG_7211.JPG.jpg (347KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7211.JPG.jpg
347KB, 1200x900px
>>992159
Bok Choys
>>
What is the best way to gather pollen in decent amounts? What flowers and how to gather it?
>>
>>992234
put on a bee costume(very important) then get a q-tip.
>>
File: bee the bee.png (240KB, 760x552px) Image search: [Google]
bee the bee.png
240KB, 760x552px
>>992237
sexy bee or funny bee?
>>
>>992239
sexy, then you can hit the club after.
>>
>>992244
how do I get girls to taste my pollen?
>>
>>992259
big hive and lots of honey.
>>
>>992146
I don't boil the bark. I just put it in with the willow cuttings in the water. You can try both methods and report back.

Cover as much of the cutting with water as you can. Sometimes the lower most nodes die and an upper one will send out roots.

>>992234
Cattails. You can get so much pollen from them that you can make a loaf of bread with it. Here's what a loaf will look like. This isthe last one I made before I got ducks in my pond. The ducks almost completely destroyed the cattails by eating the young shots in the spring. Which is fine because the pond was in danger of being choked out by them at one point.

Just slip a bag over the pollen spike on the top of the cattail, lean the cattail over and bang on the bag to dump the pollen off. You will need to sift the pollen a few times because there will be TONS of insects having a party in it. Store it in your freezer for long term storage, but you can dehydrate it properly and keep it in bags for a long time.

FYI, this shit is ULTRA expensive. Like $30 to $100 per pound depending on the source. Personally, I'd never trust buying it from China, where it is the cheapest. This stuff is too expensive and too easy to cut with something else for fraud.

Cattails are super easy to grow. You can make a semi-swampy area in your yard/garden by putting a low dike around a normally watery/moist area and planting them there. You can use the starchy roots for flour too. You will need about 50-100 blooming cattails to make it worthwhile.

You'll get more pollen this way than using a bee hive (I own bee hives, fyi.)
>>
>>992239
Sexy bee looks like he want to sell me drugs at a rave.

>>992146
Amazing! So after the willow cutting sprout root water is good for rooting other plants by just leaving the base node in the water for a few weeks?

I imagine that to more closely mirror the horticultural setting I'm used to i could soak rock wool in willow water and root entire flats with it?
>>
>>992323
Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it for cuttings.
>>
>>991185
hey one popped up today, this is wild.
>>
I'm in southern NH and I've got a little box garden with all day direct sun that I want to get going this weekend. Any suggestions for easy stuff to grow?
>>
>>992383

Picture of the space you have would help.
>>
File: DSCN8919a.jpg (1MB, 2044x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8919a.jpg
1MB, 2044x2304px
>>991878
The summer squash bloomed this morning as expected. I took some pollen for later, in case there's a female flower when there're no males.

I also shoved in a few dozen concord grape cuttings and an additional 50 or so mulberry cuttings.

>>992383
Food, ornamental, or both?

Some things vine out and take up a massive amount of space. Other things only take up a little.

>>991982
Ones I can eat or give me food.
>>
>>991982

Dandelions
>>
File: plant identification.png (1MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
plant identification.png
1MB, 1000x750px
Can I get some help?

By any chance, anyone knows what are the plants in pic related? I put some lettuce in there, and have been removing the smaller ones. Right now I only have 2 lettuce sprouts left, but I think one of them is going to wither.

However, the other plants around... I'm not sure. I have tried a lot of seeds on there, many didn't work, but I'm not sure if the plants are from some of the seeds I tried before (onion, hibiscus and basil), or just some random weed I need to remove.

Any help?
>>
File: be well, vatniks.png (5KB, 411x354px) Image search: [Google]
be well, vatniks.png
5KB, 411x354px
>Broccoli is growing
>Rains for the past month so no need to water much
>Crappy log raised bed has not fallen apart on its own
Stirfry ingredients in two months, comrades. Gonna be tasty
>>
>>992616
The cotyledon look like hibiscus, but the true leaves don't look jagged enough around the edges. What variety of hibiscus did you plant?
>>
>>991873
Those stones are very dark blue though.
I wonder if you can achieve such a dark color using indigo.
But I guess if you have enough dye, and a good binder that might at the same time darken the mixture, it would be possible.
Indigo on clay sounds like a weird idea, you'd be diluting your color right?

I must say that English is not my first language so indigo being "substantive" and not needing a "mortant" doesn't ring any bells.
But I think you're right. The indigo doesn't need additives to be bound to the cotton. It does however need to be trapped in the cotton fibers first.
And that is the hard part, because indigo doesn't dissolve in water.
>>
>>992651
Hibiscus sabdariffa, aka: roselle.

If it helps in any way, the stem is a light purple colour, but as have been growing, it have been becoming darker so close to the soil is closer to black than green.
>>
File: Papaya0402 007.jpg (186KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Papaya0402 007.jpg
186KB, 1600x1200px
>>992616
They look like papaya seedlings.
>>
2 questions:
My earliana tomato seedlings are doing well. I plan on keeping them potted indoors. At what point do i transplant them and how large should the pot be?

Also, my girlfriend has what I assume are soil mites (they look like really small ticks and dont venture away from the soil). There are a ton of them. Her seeds havent sprouted. Should they be encouraged or destroyed before her seeds start?
>>
>>992630
>tfw hasn't rained for almost a month and barely anything before
>full summer drought in 2015
>mid-late summer drought in 2016
"Oceanic" climate my ass. Been watering my shit almost daily since late March. There's finally a bit of rain in the forecast for the next days though
>>
So I'm terrified of caterpillars.
I tried making a garden last year, and I had to quit since I had a caterpillar infestation. Even after killing them off with BT, I couldn't continue due to my paranoia.
I want to completely prevent getting any caterpillars, not just kill them off when they appear.
I was thinking of making a raised garden bed with a custom made mesh top to keep all moths/butterflies out.
Does this sound like a viable option? Or do they always just find ways of getting in?
>>
>>992684
The stems will get redder as they age right? That should be the hibiscus.
>>
>>992692
You could transplant your tomatoes as soon as they have true leaves. I wait for them to get two pairs of them, some simply wait for the first.

If the insects you're talking about looks like tiny spiders and are not on the leaves, they mights be Phytoseiulus persimilis, which is a predator of red spider mite (which are very tinier, less mobile, and most of times on the underside of the leaves). The first type of "mite" is beneficial for your plants, the second is very annoying.
If it looks like tiny jumpy shrimp, probably springtails. They are beneficial to the soil.
If there are a lot of them, I would say springtails. Hard to tell without a picture.
>>
>>992702
Wait... what's your problem using BT? The stuff works great. Where I live the only pest that attacks the California Medicinal crop is caterpillars of the alfalfa butterfly (small white mother fuckers) and they attack in force ruining entire plants. BT does the trick though.
>>
>>992004
maybe you over watered them?
>>
>>992773
in order for BT to work it has to be ingested... meaning the caterpillars have to be alive at some point.
I had to destroy a bunch of plants since caterpillars were on them in the first place. I don't want them there at all.
No eggs, no tiny ones, no poop, nothing. I can't deal with them.
>>
>>992685
>>992709
Thanks for your help.

At one hand, yeah, the stems are red or purple. I'll have to keep an eye, to determine if they are becoming darker as they grow.

And at the other hand, I believe this other anon is right. The seedlings in that pics are nearly identical to the ones on my pot. Also, there's another problem, when they started sprouting, there were like a dozen or even more seedlings, but I never burrowed so many seeds, at most I had like 5 or 6 in there.

So, either many of the hibiscus seeds sprout multiple seedlings (is that even possible?), or someone dumped a load of papaya seeds on my pot and now I have to rise an unexpected guest.

And no, I'm not complaining, I heard papaya is actually quite healthy.
>>
File: paper-wasp-nests.jpg (946KB, 1024x885px) Image search: [Google]
paper-wasp-nests.jpg
946KB, 1024x885px
>>992702
Paper wasps are your friend. Make some insect hotels for them to live in and build nests.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Paper+wasp+eating+caterpillar&tbm=isch

They are like little Russian-built attack helicopters against caterpillars in your garden. I've not seen them on big tomato hornworms, but they go nuts on cabbage moth caterpillars. Mason wasps will do it too, but not to the extent that paper wasps do.

They can be one helpful ally at least. Whenever I find a nest in the blocks of my raised beds I make sure to leave it alone so it can get bigger and I don't disturb it and get stung.
>>
File: 1480218458699.png (217KB, 381x485px) Image search: [Google]
1480218458699.png
217KB, 381x485px
>>991999
Trips of truth. I just planted 5 packs of Morning Glories, I love them too. Grandpa Ott are my favorite cultivar color, what about you?
>>992548
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FUCK OFF NORMIE DANDELION SHITS FUCK OFF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DANDELIONS GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

>>992450
>Ones I can eat or give me food.
Borage is great. All of it is edible.
>>
>>990252
The first tiny lettuce and marigold sprouts came out today! Now for some rain...
>>991895
What kind of tree is that?
>>992310
Learn something new every day, maybe I'll try to collect some of the pine pollen that is coating everything now
I don't know if those eggs are made with true indigo :( But here (pic) is an egg described as made with only natural dyes, indigo, lac, etc.
The clay/indigo is called Maya Blue, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_blue
"The Maya blue pigment is a composite of organic and inorganic constituents, primarily indigo dyes derived from the leaves of añil (Indigofera suffruticosa) plants combined with palygorskite, a natural clay ... Despite time and the harsh weathering conditions, paintings colored by Maya blue have not faded over time. More remarkably, the color has resisted chemical solvents and acids such as nitric acid. " It's supposed to be very bright!
I hope sometime I can try to grow woad, but I heard it takes a lot of space and very rich soil, both are in short supply in my yard though. Thanks for sharing your project!
>>991982
Iris :) also love yucca blooms and hyacinth
>>992702
Do butterflies bother you too?
>>
>>992777
Huh, that sucks man. I've always enjoyed watching the caterpillars writhe in agony after eating BT.
>>
>>992800
I think Heavenly Blue is my favorite. I want to get some red ones to add.
>I just planted 5 packs of Morning Glories
The nice thing is you wont have to buy anymore. It is very easy to collect a lot more seeds than you stated with.
>>
>>992803 (You)
>I don't know if those eggs are made with true indigo...
meant for >>992663
>>
>>990606
>>991419

Honey can have a lot of antimicrobial chemicals in it but a lot of it's also due to the fact it's almost pure sugar, same reason molasses and syrups have a very long shelf life. If you put it in water for cuttings, it's diluting it down into what's basically just sugar water, it'll likely be very susceptible to mold. You actually can do a similar thing to make cultures for growing fungi.

It MIGHT work, I'm curious! I wouldn't think it'd have any benefit over just water or some other mix, though.
>>
>>992786
>>992824
>It's pretty popular in the organic farming community. Seems pretty popular for cuttings says a basic Google search. I'm not backing it just yet because It's my first time using it. I'll post my results. I've used it on a few different species so that should eliminate some variables.

I'm excited to try willow water now. Any experience with that?
>>
>>992819
I planted some Heavenly Blue myself. I also planted Scarlet O'Haras which should be a deep, gorgeous red.
>The nice thing is you wont have to buy anymore. It is very easy to collect a lot more seeds than you stated with.
Exactly. I read up on them before I bought/planted them and I read how easily they self-seed which doesn't bother me. It seems to be an invasive species to some but where I planted them I'd welcome that to a degree. I do plan on picking their seeds from the pods when they are ready to drop.
I bought a pack of Grandpa Ott, Heavenly Blue, Scarlett O'Hara, Heirloom mix (mostly pastels) and a pink variety.

I love how fast they've grown so far and I can just imagine how much they will self-seed in the coming years.
>>
>>992849
I also planted Moonflowers intermittently between the morning glories and some Four O'Clocks which should provide a beautiful sight.
>>
File: moonflower14.jpg (99KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
moonflower14.jpg
99KB, 800x600px
>>992854
Love moon flowers! They climb a lot! I planted some too and await their wonderful scent
>>
>>992803
>What kind of tree is that?

Peach-leaf willow (Salix amygdaloides)

>>992843
Yeah, I use willow water a lot. Most things root well with it.
>>
File: giffer.jpg (29KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
giffer.jpg
29KB, 240x300px
I need to buy some goffer wire for my new planter boxes but that shit is expensive. is there a generic term for goffer wire that I can search for/buy that will be cheaper but functionally the same?
>>
>>992889
Hardware cloth, but it is zinc coated steel, not stainless steel.
>>
File: braces.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
braces.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
what is the ideal type of metal when selecting corner braces for planter boxes?
>>
>>992891
galvanized
>>
>>992889

Thats literally just chicken wire.

Is gopher wire stainless still? Chicken wire is typically galvanized steel wire
>>
>>992854
>>992819

Cardinal Climber is another pretty cool flower in that family and is a little less invasive, too, they look like red morning glories but the leaves are are serrated.
>>
>>992817
I wish I could say the same. Anything they touch I just can't touch myself, let alone eat.
>>992803
>Do butterflies bother you too?
Not really. I just had several traumatic experiences involving caterpillars. Weird, I know.
>>
File: 220px-Datura_innoxia_flower_02.jpg (21KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Datura_innoxia_flower_02.jpg
21KB, 220x293px
This stuff grows everywhere where I live. A friends told me that native Americans used to drink it in a tea for medicine. Anyone know what this is? I already made some tea, it's really sweet.
>>
>>993087
This is bait right?
>>
>>993092
Yes
>>
>>993087
> Anyone know what this is?
>220px-Datura_innoxia_flower_02.jpg

Obviously a poisonous Datura. Your "tea" would only be sweet if you put a sweetener in it. You'd also have a good chance you'd go on the worst trip of your life for a couple weeks and wake up in the hospital/prison if you didn't die.

>>992891
Stainless steel will last pretty much forever.

>>992904
Yes, gopher wire is stainless steel. Chicken wire barely lasts a year when in contact with the ground. Hardware cloth lasts longer.
>>
what are your info sources on bonsai /out/?
>>
>>993142
A Canadian man on Youtube.
>>
File: DSCF4174.jpg (745KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4174.jpg
745KB, 2304x1728px
>growing plants
>not finding them in the woods and eating them
hunter gatherers>farmers
>>
>>993169
I do both. I also have ramps that I planted in the woods on my property.
>>
>>993169

Hello fellow forager!

Lets list all the things we can locate each year.

Apples
Pears
3 different types of plums
Rosehips
Blackberrys
Wild chives
Nettles
Oyster mushrooms
wild garlic
ramps
>>
>>993169
What are you doing with that many? They don't hold up for too long. You wont have any patches next year if you keep harvesting like that.
>>
>>993173
I normally find
>apples
>blackberries
>blackcaps
>oyster mushrooms
>morels
>gooseberries
>fiddleheads
>ramps
>groundnut
>beechnut
>butternut
>acorns
>puffballs
>button mushrooms

Probably a few other ones that I'm forgetting. I basically just hike around and if I find good shit on my property I eat it.
>>
File: IMG_20170415_153738.jpg (233KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_153738.jpg
233KB, 1000x600px
cucumber blooming :)
>>
>>993175
>>acorns

Dont they take a lot of effort to make edible?
>>
>>993174
What? I have over 240 acres, I have entire woods filled with these.
>>993181
It helps if you take the shell off
>>
>>993184
>It helps if you take the shell off

What im saying is arnt they semi poisonous until you cook the poison off which takes about 12 hours?
>>
>>993188
maybe a little bitter but I haven't had a problem. I also feed them to my pigs
>>
>>993177
You'll get cucummies before you know it
>>
File: IMG_20170415_161601.jpg (178KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_161601.jpg
178KB, 1500x844px
>>991655
Upgrades!
>>
What do you guys think of the Sarpo mira potato?
Is it the GOAT potato?
>>
File: 0415171151.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0415171151.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Anybody recognize this bug thing? I am cleaning up an ornamental bed and found about ten, especially on Nandina. It's maybe .75 inches long. Thanks!
>>
>>993173
>>993175

Here's my list for the dry central valley of CA, over inundated with orchards I could also loot food from.

Miners lettuce
Dock
Pig weed
Nettle
Currents (only if I'm in the Seirras)
Chick weed
Milk thistle
Porslane
Cat tails
Wood sorrel (lemon clover)
Blackberries & figs grow by the rivers.
>>
>>993226

praying mantis chrysalis.
>>
>>993254
Neato thank you
>>
File: Grow You Fuckers.jpg (490KB, 1310x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Grow You Fuckers.jpg
490KB, 1310x1117px
>>993201
Nice. The ones on the left will need a bigger pot soon.

Pic related are mine. 1/2.
>>
File: Spicy Little Rainforest.jpg (501KB, 1120x1984px) Image search: [Google]
Spicy Little Rainforest.jpg
501KB, 1120x1984px
>>993270
2/2.
>>
>>993174
They do well in frozen storage.

>>993188
>>993181
Water leaches the tannins out. You need to mash them up into a paste then dilute it with water, filter it out of the water, repeat. Buckeyes need the same treatment but takes like a week to do at most. Once you are done there won't be any bitterness at all. You can do the same thing with black walnuts to make them less bitter. There are guides on how to do this online.

>>993192
Eating untreated acorns can fuck up your kidneys and eventually kill you. Kidney failure is no joke. The greener they are the worse the effects. Do not feed untreated acorns to your pigs or other animals. It can damage their kidneys too. Both you and most animals will get abdominal pain and constipation followed by haemorrhagic diarrhoea and damage the kidneys if you are unlucky.
>>
File: Photo0727.jpg (468KB, 1594x600px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0727.jpg
468KB, 1594x600px
1 week progression with the potatoes
>>
File: Photo0739.jpg (1008KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0739.jpg
1008KB, 1600x1200px
>>993291
and looks like I got my first tenant, pretty stoked about it just wish I knew what kind of solitary bee laid its eggs in there
>>
>>993291

Are you the french bro who had a similar setup last year?
>>
>>993306
I guess. Didn't know at the time there was a permanent thread on /out/
>>
>>993314

Wasnt on /out/ Mate ;)
>>
File: DSCN8938a.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8938a.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
I took a couple hours, some rotten scrap wood, old roof, and made a paper wasp hotel. I've no clue if anything will actually nest in it as is. It may need some adjusting, like one end blocked off or something. I'll know within a week or two. The wood was so rotten in some places I had to build the framing in an odd manner to compensate, but it seems to be sturdy enough for this job.

>>993291
>>993293
Awesome.
>>
>>993357
>paper wasp hotel
I love this board.
>>
>>993177
won the board
>>
>>993357
>Suck on this, hornworms
>>
File: Blacklight Hornworm.jpg (58KB, 757x426px) Image search: [Google]
Blacklight Hornworm.jpg
58KB, 757x426px
>>993384
This year, I have a blacklight flashlight and I'll be doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIJUsGcA4R4
>>
>>993175
Button mushrooms don't grow wild, what species are you talking about? Other Agaricus species maybe?
>>
>>993424
"Button mushrooms" are Agaricus bisporus and grow in grasslands and is saprotrophic.

Though, I don't think I've be eating them during their button stage when foraging. I'd wait until the fill out to a fine portobello size for clear identification.
>>
File: Agaricus_campestris.jpg (2MB, 2500x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Agaricus_campestris.jpg
2MB, 2500x1900px
>>993425
Agaricus bisporus is extremely rare in the wild, and the "bisporus" epithet actually comes from the fact that it is a mutant possessing only two spores per basidia instead of four. The species is sort of a fluke.
What is much more likely is the similar Agaricus campestris, or Agaricus subrutilescens
>>
>>993444
They come up with other agaricus in my area all the time. Normally just in the horse pastures. Campestris and a few look-a-likes come up enforce. It is pretty easy to tell them apart from bisporus.
>>
>>993291
Neato!
>>
>>993293
Thanks for reminding me to do this in my garden many of California's solitary bees are becoming increasingly rare. The annual pasture grass gets to loose soil before the bees do so many native gardeners are including disturbed soil patches in their gardens that they keep weeded.
>>
File: rhubarb.jpg (664KB, 1030x1150px) Image search: [Google]
rhubarb.jpg
664KB, 1030x1150px
Split 2 ancient rhubarb rhizomes (had to have been there since at least Bush 1.0 was prez, probably longer) into 7 separate plantings back in February. So far 6 are showing signs of life.
>>
>>993576
Wow, that's old. I forgot to split my asparagus plants this year.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>993583
>>
>>993584
This is a slow board, friend. No need for a new thread while we're still on page 1.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>993586
It has been this way since day one. Same with the fishing threads. The reason it is this way is because as it falls, less and less people see it. Due to that, more people make either duplicate threads and start making lots of gardening threads that clog up the board and make everyone look bad for it. Evidently, using the >>>/out/catalog is really really hard for some people or they don't know about it.

>page 1.

I haven't seen 4chan in pages in forever.
>>
>>993591
>day one
But, you know things have changed since then, right?

>pages
Even if nobody actually uses paged browsing any more, it's still how the software works, and X's page placement label is a good indicator of how far down the board the thread is.
>>
>>993194
shall post firstborn
>>
>>993594
They haven't since I've made 99% of these threads, from /ck/ to /diy/ and now on /out/.
>>
>>993611
In other words, you personally are holding this standard up?
>>
>>993613
When other people do it sometimes it works out, but most times it doesn't. Same goes for the fishing threads, but that isn't me.
>>
>>992803
>I hope sometime I can try to grow woad, but I heard it takes a lot of space and very rich soil, both are in short supply in my yard though.
No worries, woad is actually a "noxious weed" is murrica. Not where I live sadly so I bought a tiny plant at some market.
As for the soil, it will really grow anywhere, it's one of the few plants in our lil garden that doesn't need any extra attention and easily survives anything.
It apparently grows better on rocky, nitrogen rich, high pH soil. But really it does fine without. Does take up some space now that it's flowering, especially vertical space.

Totally feel like making blue clay now. I'm letting my woad flower to collect seeds. Might start getting serious with this project.
>>
>>993444
Oh wow is that my colorblindness acting up or is the underside of those mushies a beautiful pinkish red?
>>
File: IMG_20170417_035025.jpg (149KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170417_035025.jpg
149KB, 1000x664px
>>993596
tier 3
>>
File: Soleirolia_soleirolii002.jpg (229KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Soleirolia_soleirolii002.jpg
229KB, 800x600px
Alright there, /out/.
Student here, I only have a small room with a small windowsill (1,50m x 30 cm) and direct sun for like 3-4 hours every evening (westside of the house).
I bought some plants from the nearby shop, some random roomplants (Soleirolia pic related, and Hypoestes) and something for outside, a bit of ivy.
I'm taking some botany lessons atm to better understand the basics behind the plants.
Does anyone of you have some recommendations on what else I could put in my room and windowsill?
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 93

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.