[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: c700x420.jpg (94KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
c700x420.jpg
94KB, 700x420px
Just started getting into archery again now that the weather is nice, so lets talk bows. Do you prefer traditional, recurve, compound, or crossbow for target shooting? What about for hunting?

I just got a takedown recurve, really pleased with it so far. How do I improve my accuracy? I can get a pretty tight cluster around the target, but actually hitting it is another story.
>>
Traditional all the way, use to have one that I got made from a Native around my place (actually respectable and great work). Ended up abusing it and broke it, 500 dollars down the drain.
>>
>>977088
>>>/k/
>>
>>977183
When weapons are discussed with an emphasis on outdoor recreation, they fall under the scope of /out/, without regard to /pol/ affiliations. Archery is an activity, not a weapon.
>>
3D archery shoots are just about my #1 favorite thing in the world. I'm big into archery. Traditional and compound. Need some new arrows for my recurve. Just sold my first compound to a kid that is super stoked to get into it.

Wonderful hobby. I don't hunt, but I would like to try now fishing one day.
>>
just went out last night and monring to kill boar in socal. used a blackout (bowtech) s3 340 fps
>>
>>977088

OP, Jeff Kavanugh on youtube sounds like your cup of tea, he makes golf-ball sized groups and trick shots with his recurve like it's nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jeff2008lucywill

His shooting is totally "instinctive", and more than a few of his subscribers say he's helped them out a lot. He inspired me to take the sight off my recurve and just go for it...already having way more fun working on fundamentals, and programming my brain to just "know" where to aim.

There's something weird about going sightless, it has this relaxing zen quality to it. No more squinting at a stupid little dot! Already had a few wtf spooky moments, where the practice seems to take hold and I make several grapefruit sized groups instinctively...only to have it blow all to shit again in a few ends, as always. Good times.
>>
>>977088
I've always loved traditional bows, but I also have a takedown recurve.

>>978197
I've almost never used sights when arching, and the seldom times I did, they just seems in the way moreso than actually helping.
>>
Takedown recurve all day. Just a sage, but I still love it. Don't use any sights or etc, just the bow and some carbons and antique Bears for lulz. I don't hunt but could if I put emphasis on archery instead of being a fitizen.

learn to fletch your own arrows so you understand what's happening and why during the flight of your arrows. you don't need a fletching machine or etc just take it slow and don't over think it. Make cuts even and smooth if you're using real feathers. You're just trading accuracy for speed or v/v with most deviations

I'm bias,never shot compound or sights or anything. No desire to either though I just like what I have.

Every archer I've met to date has given me free stuff and pointers on form, care, etc. Hands down nicest group of humans I've come across,
>>
>>977088

I'd check out Jimmy Blackmon on youtube and watch his video on gap shooting. Three-under and gap shooting will likely get you on target fastest with a recurve.

Aside from that, practice mostly. Make sure your arrows are more or less correctly spined.
>>
What do you guys use for targets? I'm sitting on a nicer 45# recurve, with nothing to shoot at. Toying with a compressed carpet target, a bale of straw lashed with cardboard for protection, or just ponying up the dough for a traditional target. Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>980061
Tennessee here, I use hay bales with a target tarp over them. When I bought everything, it was about the same price as a regular target smaller in size.
>>
>>980061
I use hay also. Price veries from $2-$6 a bale around here depending on time of year and grade.

Careful, fire ants love to colonize it when it starts to rot.
>>
>>980061
Would also like to know, but for indoor shooting.

Old clothes and blankets stuffed into a cardboard box is pretty good, stopping 60/70# while remaining easy to pull the arrows out. The only problem is the arrow force really fucks with the cardboard box after some time, so not that great after 40+ shots.

I could really use some ideas for other targets. Hay is messy and proper targets on ebay are like 50-70$ each, not to mention it's a bitch to pull out the arrows if you're using anything over 40lb.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.