[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can a prius tow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 31

I need an ultra-light weight camper trailer I can take across country with my 2015 Prius.

Yes, I know its a fag car, but its all I have and cant afford to buy a van.

What do?
>>
>>949170
First off, you're gay.

Just admit that and I will help you.
>>
>>949172
yes, i am gay. please help
>>
>>949173
Ok, thank you for coming to terms with your mental illness.

I will help you.

The Prius can't tow a shopping cart, buy a sleeping bag and a tent, you're welcome.
>>
>>949178
actually, a prius can tow up to 1000 lbs.. trying to find something about 500-600lbs

smd
>>
>>949170
Talk to the Yuros. Britcucks will tow a semi trailer with a 3cyl Fiesta. You can tow a suprising amount of weight with small cars as long as you balance it on the hitch. Going through mountains will be shitty and high winds will be pretty sketchy too, but I'm sure a small ~1000lb camper will be straight.
>>
>>949190
great to hear, thanks. im looking into a small camper van about 600lbs-800lbs right now, just one person (me) needs to sleep in it. Im 6'2'', so its gotta be long. i found this:
https://fresno.craigslist.org/rvs/5933939496.html

little pricy for such a piece of shit, but light as fuck and long (9 feet inside the sleeping area, 14 feet total)..

do you think I should just make one myself? the problem i would encounter is making the axle work and all that.

how can i make sure i balance it on the hitch properly?
>>
>>949191
Maybe you should ask >>>/diy/
>>
>>949191
Just make sure it's safe if you build one yourself.

And the balance thing, they recommend like 60/40 front to back. Too early in the morning to do the math, but with a lighter trailer like that you will normally have 50lbs or 100lbs worth of weight on the tongue where you hook it up to the hitch. If you load the weight too far forward, it will push down on the rear of the car too much and can cause problems when you hit a bump and the trailer tries to lift up the front wheels of the car. But using common sense you will be fine. On a trailer that weight, you want it balanced towards the front to a point where you can still lift the tongue by yourself.

I was thinking too, if you want to make your own, you should call around and see if U-Haul is selling any of their old 5'x8' trailers. That would give you a good roadworthy platform and would have the legal lights and everything so registration would probably be much easier.
>>
>>949170
it can probably move your cuckshed back to your moms yard, if thats what you're wondering, OP
>>
File: IMG_2423.jpg (154KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2423.jpg
154KB, 640x480px
>>949196
>>949191
Pic related is the 5x8 trailer. I was lookin online and Uhaul sells their used trucks on their own website but not their trailers which sucks. They must sell them through some other means.

But there are so many of these things on the road, it has to be easy to find one for cheap that needs a little work. Put some fresh tires on it and do whatever to the inside and you will be ready to go.
>>
>>949205
thats a great idea, how much do those weigh?
>>
>>949196
this is very helpful, i will make sure to make a note of this.
>>
>>949205
Just rent one and throw in a twin mattress. He's gay, so he doesn't have to impress the ladies.
>>
>>949211
>doesnt have to impress the ladies
this is true. its a shame its 900lbs unloaded weight.. do you guys think that is too much? i would just have a bed in it. so could a prius tow 900lbs?
>>
File: IMG_2424.jpg (62KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2424.jpg
62KB, 800x450px
>>949206
Idk, the U-Haul site would have all the info.

There is the 4'x8' trailer too. The 5'x8' is nice because you can actually stand in them but the 4'x8' will give you plenty of room to sleep and keep your shit. People tow those trailers will small cars all the time. Just keep them balanced and don't overload it and you will be good.
>>
>>949214
imma look into that shit, it sounds like a great idea. spacious, too.
>>
>>949214
cant find any of their trailers for sale..
>>
maybe get something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-8-Open-Trailer-with-ramp-gate-/152430973771

and build an aluminum cage around it to prevent rain and such?
>>
File: IMG_1506.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1506.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>949213
Check the owners manual on your car and then make sure whatever hitch you use is rated for it.

>>949211
>just rent one
That's why I love those trailers. When you rent a van or truck, you have to pay rental plus mileage and gas. With those trailers, it's $19/day for the 5'x8'. Hook it up to the Jeep and go move whatever I gotta move. I rent them at least once a year for moving something or other just because it is cheaper and easier than finding a friend with a truck.

One of these days I'm gonna convince my boss to let me borrow a work truck next time somebody needs to move.
>>
>>949219
Ikr? I was under the impression that they sold them off the lot just like their trucks when I first recommended it. Somebody else has to sell them tho.
>>
>>949222
if you were to rent it for a year, thats almost 7k. not terrible, but then again; you could just buy a teardrop for 4k less... im gonna need it for a year, ill be living on the road for 1-2 years
>>
File: 20161127_052933.jpg (3MB, 2233x1451px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_052933.jpg
3MB, 2233x1451px
>>949222
I used to rent them too. Not anymore!
>>
>>949225
I've thought about loading a cabover camper centered on the axles, side load my quad up front under the cabover and still have flatbed on the back for a porch!

~8'x20'.
>>
>>949227
That would be straight.

Just seems like buying an enclosed trailer to start with would be a better idea because you wouldn't have to worry about the structural integrity of the thing at 70mph.

I did see some plans online while searching. I'm guessing a lot of those you can start with a real cheap flatbed and then build your own. As long as you are somewhat competent and follow the plans, it should be ok.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170212-100153.png (328KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170212-100153.png
328KB, 800x480px
>>949227
A little like this, but nicer.
>>
File: IMG_0322.jpg (93KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0322.jpg
93KB, 800x640px
>>949245
Damn that's trippy. I wonder how tall it is. Get urself a quality tow vehicle too.
>>
>>949252
The trailer deck is lower than my pickup bed and my truck should tow it just fine.
>>
File: IMG_2458.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2458.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>949258
Psh...
>>
>>949170

why tow anything. save your money and stay at hotels.
>>
I'm going to be a Debbie downer and yell you the truth.

You can't tow anything in a prius. Toyota does not advertise a tow capacity for 2015, aka the tow capacity is 0 lbs.

Any small trailer would be too much. It would not tow safely. A 500 lbs trailer, loaded with gear, plus the weight of a hitch, you wouldn't be safe.

Buy a big tent. It's nearly the same thing as a tiny teardrop trailer anyways.
>>
>>949170

Have you considered turning tricks in truck-stop bathrooms until you can afford a better vehicle?
>>
File: kajxjnvkk0007.jpg (80KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
kajxjnvkk0007.jpg
80KB, 640x360px
>>949170
OP have you thought about trading your Prius in for something else? My buddy had a 2007ish VW Jetta with the TDI diesel engine, and it towed one of the Uhaul trailers mentioned earlier in this thread full of his stuff over the Appalachian Mountains when he went to college, all while getting 45 mpg. They're great cars with even greater engines.
>>
>>949276

I tried to tell him: >>949178

Gays...
>>
>>949276
>You can't tow anything in a prius.

That’s not true, while the Prius is admittedly a gay car with a low towing capacity, you can put a hitch on it and tow X amount of weight.

But I’ll agree with those suggesting OP abandon the camper plan and just go with a tent, as any conceivable camper the Prius would be able to tow, will be so tiny that it’s essentially useless and a waste or money.

On the other hand, OP may want to consider getting a small cargo trailer for gear, which would be easy to tow with the Prius and would allow him to take a useful load of gear with him.
>>
I miss the rubber tramp (literally) that built her own tear drop. Pic on old phn, sorry. I thought it was pretty cool, she did seem a bit touchy, tho.
>>
>>949170
You can tow a small camper fine. You'll need to watch your transmission shifting and go slow, like 50-55. I wouldn't tow through hills/mountains.
>>
Be extra prepared for other drivers to fly into an autistic rage and pull dangerous shit trying to pass you, the moment they should get stuck behind you for any reason.

And that's if you're just going with the flow of traffic. Heaven help you if you're going up hill and can't get up to speed fast enough.

>t. prius owner for 10 years
>>
Search youtube for "rolling coal" videos.
>>
>>949337
Doesn't the Prius use regen braking for the battery power? I wonder how that adapts to towing. If the system can cope with it, you could get massive charges going downhill with a trailer and wouldn't need to use the regular brakes as much.
>>
>car camping is faggy enough for me
maybe you'd be more comfortable here: bad-dragon.com
>>
>>949205
>They must sell them through some other means.
I'd bet they just work them until they fall apart
>>
>>949303
The 2015 prius does not have a low tow capacity. It does not have a tow capacity at all. Even Toyota themselves officially give it a 0 lbs tow rating. Putting a hitch on it alone will void the warranty.
>>
>>949378
That's true. I could see them just refurbishing the things and cleaning up the chassis while putting a whole new box on top of them. The last one I rented was really fuckin beat up.
>>
>>949386
just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. All it would take is a pothole, shitty ice/snow, or a bad incline and you be without a vehicle. Not rated for a trailer.
BUT YOU CAN GET A ROOFTOP TENT/CONTAINER SETUP!!!! Just make sure to protect that roof with foam blocks and shit.
Look up roof weight limits.
>>
>>949187
Yeah on top of the 100lb hitch... Good luck op. Sell that.
>>
File: 070814_cache_creek07.jpg (105KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
070814_cache_creek07.jpg
105KB, 750x563px
>>949386
>The 2015 prius does not have a low tow capacity. It does not have a tow capacity at all.

Nonsense, even an 1886 Benz Motorwagen with a 2/3hp engine has X towing capacity and regardless of what Toyota says about “voiding the warranty”, you can still legally put aftermarket parts on it (within reason) like a trailer hitch and tow (a small bit of) stuff and not void the warranty.

But while a Prius can physically tow a small camper, any kinda camper is in fact going to be too much for a gay car like that and OP ought to just stick with a tent and tow a small cargo trailer for additional gear.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (261KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
261KB, 1600x1066px
>>949170
>2017
>still towing a camper
>>
>>949617 #
Listen, I don't know how you're not getting this. The 2015 has no towing capacity. It has no tow rating. It is not rated to tow any weight. How are you not getting this. Toyota says the vehicle is not designed to, and should not be used to tow anything at all. This will void the warranty unquestionably.

Yes, you could get a hitch, and it will physically pull something, but that does not mean it is safe, and does not mean the prius has been rated to tow something.

I can hook a trailer up to my dog and he can pull it, doesn't mean he has a tow rating.
>>
>>949360
Before this post, I thought you were just a troll, now I can clearly see you're an idiot.

1) Law of conservation of energy: Whatever you'd gain going down a hill, you'd have to lose going up one.
2) In order to keep the trailer from fishtailing, you'd need to brake at least some from the trailer brakes.
>>
>>949506
With the minor variance of the friction added by the additional wheels and axle, and let's be real here, I could pull that by hand, so about 1/4 of a horse power, the "towing capacity" and the weight capacity are the same thing; it's how much additional weight the vehicle can move with the torque it has available. Putting an extra set of wheels under that weight doesn't change the amount of torque the engine (or motors in this case) produces.
>>
>>949643
>This will void the warranty unquestionably.

No, it will not. The U.S. Dept. of Transportation legally mandates that consumers can install (some) aftermarket parts on a new car, including a trailer hitch on a gay Prius, without voiding the warranty regardless of what the manufacturer claims.

Don’t believe me, go ask /o/.

The issue for OP is that he has a gay Prius with shit for towing capacity and a camper trailer isn’t practical, but a small cargo trailer is.
>>
File: Aliner 100_687.jpg (292KB, 1428x599px) Image search: [Google]
Aliner 100_687.jpg
292KB, 1428x599px
>>949649
>In order to keep the trailer from fishtailing, you'd need to brake at least some from the trailer brakes.

Do you kids even have a drivers license?

MOST trailers (and all small ones) don't have trailer breaks, all the breaking force comes from the towing vehicle's breaks.
>>
>>949225
Mine has trailer brakes. I love my trailer
>>
>>949649
Do you know how anything works?

I don't even want to explain it all to you. Too tired.
>>
File: Fotolia_9268666_S.jpg (354KB, 849x566px) Image search: [Google]
Fotolia_9268666_S.jpg
354KB, 849x566px
>>949170
get one of those bicycle kid carrier things. I'm 50/50 that a prius can handle it though
>>
File: IMG_2463.gif (29KB, 492x719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2463.gif
29KB, 492x719px
>>949649
Found a good graphic for you. Maybe this will help you to understand why a hybrid car going downhill with an extra 1000lbs+ creates some questions. If the car's computer recognizes the extra weight and takes advantage of it, the Prius' hybrid system could actually be beneficial for towing.

And the second part, you should get a drivers license. Most regular vehicles with a trailer hitch don't even have the power outlet for trailer brakes. Only like the F-350 with the extra towing package and trans cooler will even have the option to run a trailer with brakes.
>>
File: IMG_2464.jpg (479KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2464.jpg
479KB, 1600x900px
>>949723
>>949649
This graphic is even better for somebody who clearly doesn't understand any of it.
>>
>>949723
Seriously man? An F350?

Nearly any vehicle with a tow package will have a harness for a trailer with brakes. My Ram 1500 does, my wife's old Mercury Mariner did, my wife's new Kia does.

For most states any trailer over 3000 lbs requires trailer brakes on all wheels.
>>
>>949663

Correction, only small trailers lack brakes. Any trailer over about 2k lbs will have brakes, and many under that weight will too. The aliner in your pic for example, most likely has electric brakes, as only the smallest model aliner comes without them (they're optional).
>>
>>949726
Is your post meant to mean that priuses aren't affected by the basic laws of physics? Because if they run on magic, then yeah, I clearly don't understand magic.
>>
>>949170
be more of an inconsiderate asshole
>toxic battery array that is not recyclable
>low carbon emission

do you even understand how carbon emissions work you daft bastard? DO YOU LIKE NATURE? THEN SUPPORT IT WITH CARBON EMISSIONS!
>>
File: 2014-01-20 16.52.08.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-01-20 16.52.08.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I made my own
>>
File: 2014-01-20 16.55.12.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-01-20 16.55.12.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>949806
It's /comfy/ inside
>>
>>949757
I see you're a fan of the HD towing package. Wut Kia is it? Are you sure there is power for the brakes and not just the lights? Do any of them have a brake controller in the cab?

>>949770
Yes, physics is interesting. Now think about how the Prius hybrid system works by recovering kinetic energy to charge the batteries. Now think how that could actually be beneficial if the car recognizes the extra weight to its advantage, and how the braking qualities of the hybrid charging would help with towing.

But if the system isn't designed for it, you could run into some issues.
>>
>>949807
>its /lonely/ inside

Ftfu..
>>
>>949849
>some issues

Well, that's the point, now isn't it Perfesser?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>949859
>for a discussion aside from shitposting
It's actually a good idea for towing, but would never make it into semi trucks because of the weight of the batteries. But think about it, going downhill with all of that weight you could generate a fuckton of power and the generator also helps to slow the vehicle down so you won't burn out the breaks. And then use that same battery power to get up the next hill. If the system is really efficient and you use like zero mechanical brakes and the generator takes over completely, then theoretically you could get like the same gas mileage going up and down those hills towing 5000lbs as you could without towing anything.
>>
>>949892
>really efficient

Well that's the point, isn't it Perfesser?

"Really" is subjective, you will have loss going from mechanical energy to electrical conversion, to chemical energy and the reverse of the entire process.

It's not a perpetual energy machine, no matter how the feels hipsters and grammies make it out to be.
>>
File: IMG_7292.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7292.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>949859
Or OP could grow a pair and swap a DD S60 into the Prius and drive the car for 2,000,000 miles all while getting 6mpg.
>>
>>949895
So are you arguing at a Prius going downhill with 2000lb of cargo wouldn't generate more energy than a Prius going down that same hill with no cargo?

Of course it isn't 100% efficient, but if the car's computers can sense the extra weight and the generator can start pulling more power, it will have that much more of a charge to get the weight going again.

Refer to the original diagram if you don't understand how the regen braking works.
>>
Unless you have fucking cargo to haul you do not need a trailer.

Motel rooms for a few nights are cheaper than a trailer. You don't need a trailer to camp. A tent or a hammock, sleeping bag etc fit easily in a car since they fit easily in a pack.

There is no point in wasting money on a trailer and a trailer hitch and trailer light pigtail.
>>
>>949899
I'm not arguing at al, I don't gaf.

I state that drag and friction will make an inefficient system less efficient.

It is pointless to be pridefull of "extra free energy", when it takes the same or more to go from a to b.

Unless you plan to abandon the fag car at the bottom of the hill, all gains are used and more.
>>
>>949937
Yeah that's my whole thing. I'm just wondering whether or not the charging/braking system is actually made to cope with weight and steep hills. If it were and the car would basically use zero mechanical brakes going down steep grades with a trailer and convert that to battery power, it could do significantly better mileage compared to no hybrid. Plus all that electrical power would give you a good boost uphill. It would be cool to see a system like that on a tow vehicle like a pickup or semi truck. Wouldn't do shit for highway miles but they already use those hybrid systems in city buses because of the constant stop and go driving.

That system would be shitty in cross country trucks with all highway miles and not much weight or space for batteries and electric motors but it could benefit a job like mine where I'm driving a semi truck around the city all day and we aren't anywhere close to 80k lbs.
>>
File: Volvo-C70-Coupe.jpg (183KB, 2213x1190px) Image search: [Google]
Volvo-C70-Coupe.jpg
183KB, 2213x1190px
>his car can't tow >3000 lbs
LMAO
This beast can tow like 3500lbs all while getting an impressive 16-24 mpg on premium gas. U jelly?
>>
>>949225
Nice drive-over fenders. What brand?
>>
>>949951
Looks like my argument got adopted by another Anon. The point that I was trying to make is that while yes, you would definitely gain additional amperage going downhill with increased weight, the amount of energy you would lose going uphill with that same weight will always slightly greater.
>>
>>950195
But consider this- with the gasoline engine going uphill, you will use significantly more energy going uphill with all of that extra weight. With the hybrid system, you are gaining more energy going downhill with the weight and using it to supplement getting it back uphill. So the hybrid system could be potentially more effective and economical with a heavier vehicle than without it because you always have extra energy from braking all that weight to get it moving again. And assuming the loaded vehicle and the light vehicle have the same drag coefficient, cruising should take about the same fuel whether the car weighs 3,000lbs or 5,000lbs.

But it's only possible if the car's system is capable of dealing with 5,000lbs and not just 3,000lbs. Which it probably isn't for the Prius. But if the system did use electrical braking on mild downhills while towing and maintaining a constant speed instead of riding the mechanical brakes, that's a lot of "free" energy you get for going back up the next hill compared to towing with the non-hybrid Silverado.

And that was never you're* original argument. Your original response was "I didn't read anything besides the name, nor do I understand how regen braking hybrid systems work so I'm just going to shitpost instead".
>>
>>950265
Of course a hybrid system is more efficient than a purely combustion engine. Why else spend the extra money building them? If that was your argument, I overestimated you. I honestly just thought that you didn't comprehend that it would also require more energy to get up the hill, hence my referencing the law of conservation of energy: Any energy gained by utilizing gravity to gain momentum will also be lost to momentum while overcoming gravity. So if you're suggesting that a heavier hybrid is more economical than a lighter hybrid, then no, that couldn't be more wrong and I'll have to get back to my original point: you're an idiot.
>>
>>950279
>let's take the same vehicle, one loaded at 3000lbs and one loaded at 6000lbs
>both hybrids using regen braking systems
>same vehicle, same drag so continuous highway cruising uses basically the same energy whether 3000lbs or 6000lbs because physics (of course you get a little more friction from the extra weight on tires and bearings but shouldn't be much in a vehicle meant to cope with it).
>on mild uphills, downhills, braking, and acceleration, if vehicle was to use nearly 100% regen braking instead of mechanical, the 6000lb vehicle could potentially recover about twice the energy as the 3000lb vehicle
>accelerating again or going back uphill, it will take twice the power to get the 6000lb Prius moving again, but hey, it recovered twice as much energy when it was braking
>so with a strong regen braking system and smooth driving using very little mechanical brakes, the gasoline engine could possibly do about the same amount of work accelerating both cars since the 6000lb car generated twice as much energy slowing down and has twice as much energy two get twice the mass going again.
>and since drag is the main factor in fuel mileage at crusing speeds, the difference in weight is negligible driving at steady speeds on flat ground
So with a basic gasoline engine, it is always going to take about twice the energy to accellerate the 6000lb car over the 3000lb car. But with a hybrid that could rely heavily on the regen braking with smooth stops and downhill grades and lay off the mechanical brakes outside of stop-go city driving, it will always recover way more energy on the downhill grades with the heavier vehicle and use it all getting it back uphill.

It's been awhile since I took physics, but it's almost like a 6000lb vehicle moving at 60mph has twice the kinetic energy as the 3000lb vehicle at 60mph.
>>
>>950288
Not if you're robbing the kinetic energy to brake.

I couldn't make it more simple: Whatever energy you gain going downhill, you'll lose going uphill. Adding more weight will increase both of those factors, not just one.
>>
File: IMG_2468.jpg (59KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2468.jpg
59KB, 640x427px
>>950279
>>950288
So in situations like cruising on the highway through mountains with positive and negative grades, if the hybrid system is designed right and driven right, then yes, it would be significantly more economical than the lightly loaded hybrid in the same situation. In driving like that where there is lots of braking done, a heavier vehicle is ALWAYS going to waste much, much more actual energy than a light vehicle. The heavier hybrid will be able to recover much more energy than the light one, so that is more "free" energy overall to use to get the weight going again, meaning it is more efficient.

Ever notice how a Prius actually gets better gas mileage in the city? If you don't understand why, pls refer to the first two pics I posted.
>>
>>950292
>robbing the kinetic energy to brake
Do you understand how the Prius hybrid system works?

I don't think you do at all. Pls refer to HowStuffWorks.com.
>>
>>950293
>>950294
Insulting my intellect doesn't mean that hybrids aren't affected by basic physics. Adding more weight doesn't make a hybrid more efficient.
>>
>>950294
Wait... Did you mean that using the brakes to charge the battery was storing kinetic energy? Because if that's the case, any hope I had of you ever comprehending conservation of energy just went out the window. Batteries store electric energy.
>>
>>950297
Anon who was discussing this earlier definitely had a better grasp of how the system work than you seem to.

The whole point is that on gradual grades with smooth driving, braking is always going waste twice the kinetic energy on a vehicle that is twice as heavy. With a hybrid system designed so that you would rarely even have to use mechanical brakes on downhill grades like that, you are going to be able to recover twice the energy in a 6000lb vehicle than a 3000lb vehicle. If it's the same vehicle just loaded differently, you have twice as much electrical power to get back up that hill compared to the 3000lb load, so with an efficient system, the gasoline engine (which is supplemented by the electric motors in the Prius) would do about the same work getting the loads back up the hill, whether 3000lbs or 6000lbs. Therefore almost the same amount of gasoline is used to get 6000lbs up a hill as getting 3000lbs up it (in the short term for the argument to work, the car would have to be in a valley where it went downhill first) so it is much more effiecient moving those 6000lbs than moving the 3000lbs.

And even when you get into city driving where mechanical brakes are used a lot, the hybrid system will always be able to generate a bit more from the extra weight, which means more "free" electrical energy in the heavier vehicle, which means it is more efficient overall.

Heavier load = more energy recovered = more effiecient vehicle when it comes down to drops of gasoline needed to move one pound one mile.
>>
>>950298
Once upon a time, some smart men invented these things which were capable of turning kinetic energy into electric energy, and somebody else invented these things called "batteries" which can store that electric energy, which is then turned back into kinetic energy via these "electric motor" deals when the power is needed.

Crazy world we live in.
>>
>>950306
Which is exactly what I was saying when I said that it robs the car of kinetic energy to brake. Which you took to mean that I didn't 'understand' it.

Understand, by the way, mean to be subjected to; you meant comprehend.

>Dumbshit doesn't even know English and he's pretending to be a physics teacher.
>>
File: taylor-coach-lil-el-trailer.jpg (26KB, 467x274px) Image search: [Google]
taylor-coach-lil-el-trailer.jpg
26KB, 467x274px
700 lbs
>>
File: prolite-eco-12-travel-trailer.jpg (22KB, 415x246px) Image search: [Google]
prolite-eco-12-travel-trailer.jpg
22KB, 415x246px
750 lbs
>>
File: buzz-trailer-1.jpg (42KB, 538x350px) Image search: [Google]
buzz-trailer-1.jpg
42KB, 538x350px
670 lbs
>>
>>950311
I still think you need to research the principles behind Toyota's hybrid system. There is a reason it is more efficient than other cars. This is because it takes kinetic energy that would be lost while braking and turns it into electrical energy which is stored in the batteries until it is needed again for acceleration.

Until you grasp how that system works, everything I say will seem confusing if you are trying to apply it to a 3rd grade physics lesson. This is more of 10th grade Honors Physics stuff here.
>>
File: Bepis, knower of everything..jpg (114KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bepis, knower of everything..jpg
114KB, 800x600px
>>950324
lol no, I get that kinetic energy is lost to produce electricity by utilizing the electric motors as generators. That was my post >>950292
>>
>>950311
...and I have a Jr High School level experiement for you to try:
>1-borrow your mom's car
>2-find the steepest, longest hill in your area
>3-approach it from the top at 40mph, start going downhill, and ride the brakes so you maintain a constant 40mph
>4-at the bottom of the hill, stop the car, get out, and put your hand on the brake rotors.
Feel that heat? That is wasted kinetic energy from going downhill.

Now for the second part...
>5-if you aren't in the hospital for severe burns on your hand, find 4 of your fattest friends and load them into the car along with some sandbags in the trunk
>6-repeat steps 2-4 with all of that extra weight in the car
The burns on your hand are much more severe because there was more kinetic energy wasted due to braking.

Now imagine that some Japanese engineers came up with a way to turn all of that heat into electric energy to power the car. Compared to conventional cars, it is basically free energy. The extra heat in the brakes from the car loaded with your friends means that it is possible to get more energy back from the heavy car. So in the grand scheme of things, more free energy to help get the weight moving again means it is more efficient overall.

And of course it will take more energy to get all of your fat friends back up the hill, but you have to remember that now you have all of that extra electrical energy to move 5 people instead of one. That means more "work" was done overall. And while more work overall was done, a larger amount of it was done using that "free" electrical energy which means the car was more efficient moving more weight further with a given amount of gasoline.
>>
>>950336
You are so set on the belief that I don't under this pathetically simple shit, that you're completely ignoring the actual point here: It also takes more energy to get up the fucking hill.

Hybrids have increased efficiency, but not to the point they're generating more energy than they use.
>>
>>950330
Yes, exactly. I'm glad you Wiki'd it. Now do you understand? A regular car actually wastes that kinetic energy but turning into heat in the brake pads that is never used, as seen here >>950336

Now in the Prius system, that kinetic energy is converted to electrical energy and stored in the batteries for later use instead of turning it into heat in the brake pads which is a complete waste.

So the heavier vehicle will always have more kinetic energy at a given speed. Without a hybrid system, that extra kinetic energy turns into more heat which means more waste. With the regen braking, the extra weight and kinetic energy turns into extra electrical energy. So a heavier vehicle with that sort of hybrid system has greater potential to recoup "free" electrical energy and turn it back into even more kinetic energy with the electric motors upon acceleration.
>>
>>949968
Older Carson. Muh love, muh trailing turd.

>i shall drag you 'round the moon and back, slide under you and fix you right proper, plate you, light you, hitch you and mount you with all my weighted loving devices
>i am the walrus
>coo cah choo, baby!
>>
>>950303
>anon who was

I am that anon and I still don't gaf.

Pepsifag, you are blathering. Pls stp.

You can't beat Newtonian mechanics.
>>
>>950341
>Yes, exactly.
You are so full of shit. You were arguing against that exact point yesterday, >>949649
and now that YOU finally comprehend it, you're changing your argument.
>>
File: 099.png (426KB, 600x860px) Image search: [Google]
099.png
426KB, 600x860px
>>950341
>>
File: CoE.jpg (161KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
CoE.jpg
161KB, 1200x800px
>>
>>950340
Of course their not generating more energy than they can use. The whole point is that a heavier-loaded hybrid using the regen braking will produce more power going during braking. So in the grand scheme of things, that means more free joules that aren't extracted from actual fuel.

So that hybrid is going back up the hill and it's little 100hp gasoline engine is chugging back along, imagine that the 6000lb load was able to generate an extra 100lbft worth of electrical energy with the regen braking while the 3000lb one only generated an extra 50lbft. So with the heavier load, you have 200lbft total available while only using gasoline for 100lbft of it while the lighter load only has 150lbft of torque while using the same amount of gasoline.

Bigger vehicles towing heavier loads burn more fuel. Those same vehicles have a shit ton of wasted energy due to braking which could be turned into hybrid energy. That was my whole point originally- it would be cool to see the system integrated into more heavy hauling stuff. City buses do it, so there must be something behind it. I wonder it locomotive do it since it would be simple with their traction motors.
>>
>>949191
i just don't see the point in having a camper that small. Like one of the posters said, just get a really good tent and sleeping bag and save yourself the hassle of lugging around a camper.
>>
>>950377
If you actually comprehended all that, you wouldn't have spent the last 23 hours and 45 minutes arguing against my original post:

1) Law of conservation of energy: Whatever you'd gain going down a hill, you'd have to lose going up one.
>>
>>950372
Yess!!!

But I still think you're too busy memeing to read my whole point-

Heavier vehicle = more kinetic energy = more electrical energy available to recover with a hybrid system.

Of course it will take more energy and gasoline to move a given load. But for every amp-hour or kilowatt hour or whatever the fuck you can recover from the vehicle with the regen braking, that is less fuel that you have to burn. Compared to running it in a non-hybrid system, it will save a lot of fuel with heavy loads in certain conditions like steady downhill grades.
>>
>>950385
Of course. But when it comes to cars and regular ICEs vs hybrids, it isn't as simple as that because you need to use the brakes sometimes, especially when going downhill. With regular mechanical brakes, you just rip a bunch of energy out of that equation and turn it into wasted heat. With the hybrid system, much of that energy can be retained via a ststem of generators, batteries, and electric motors. And with a heavier load, that's much more energy that could be retained instead of lost to heat with conventional brakes.

And I did get some sleep and work done in that time too.
>>
>>950386
See, now we're just going in circles.

Yes, a hybrid is more efficient than a purely combustion engine based vehicle.\

No, adding weight to a hybrid vehicle does not increase efficiency; to clarify: the regen brakes will generate more electricity going down hills, but will use more fuel going up them.
>>
>>950390
Yes but the whole original thing was that heavy vehicles like loaded semi trucks waste a huge amount of energy going through mountains and just regular braking. With a hybrid system on vehicles like that, you could recoup a large amount of extra energy. Yes, that 80,000lb truck is going to take a lot of energy to get back up the hill, but when the truck is getting 2mpg going through those mountains and an efficient hybrid system could possibly get that thing up to 5-6mpg in the mountains, that is a whole lot of fuel saved over the course of 1000mi compared to a simple 3000lb prius. For every mile driven, that 80,000lb truck could be generating more electricity compared to the 3000lb Prius.

So when you look at the whole big picture, maybe that Prius is burning 5 or 10gal less fuel over 1000mi while a hybrid semi truck could burn 100gal less fossil fuel compared to the same vehicle with no regen braking. That's a lot of "energy" that was saved in the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: Of course.jpg (276KB, 1200x958px) Image search: [Google]
Of course.jpg
276KB, 1200x958px
>>950399
>Yes but the whole original thing
Pic related was the whole original thing
>>
>>950404
I recommend you try this experiment here >>950336

Or drive a car and realize how those simple principles demontrated with a swinging ball on a string in 2nd grade don't translate so simply when things like disc brakes come into play and movement is turned to heat which is basically wasted.

And btw you conveniently left out my original post which you replied to with a shitpost >>949360

But yeah, go do the experiment I suggested. When you burn the fuck out of your hands, maybe you will understand how much more energy is wasted driving through hills and braking in a heavily loaded vehicle compared to a light one. And then imagine if you could somehow turn all that heat into electricity, and that the heavy car with hotter brakes could produce more electrical energy.

And once again, yes, of course that heavy car is going to take more energy going back up the hill. But you are also moving more weight so more work is being done. So either way whether a hybrid or not there will be more gasoline used compared to something weighing half as much. But when you were going downhill before, that much more energy that would've been wasted as heat was turned into electricity which means that much less fuel was burned. Whatever the load, more electricity generated means that much less actual fuel is being burnt.

I forgot what a waste of time it was arguing on the internet. It's about time to go back to the knoife thread.
>>
>>950414
And there you go, right back to pretending I don't understand grade school physics, while misusing the word understand.
>>
>>950415
I also apologize because I think I should've mentioned much earlier on how brakes on cars work with respect to Newton's laws. Maybe that would've cleared up some stuff but I figured you knew that brakes basically kill off kinetic energy and turn it into wasted heat. I was wrong.
>>
>>950414
As I always have said, you are an idiot.
>>
>>950419
You mean the conversion of kinetic energy to thermal energy? That would be the law of conservation of energy I've been talking about this whole time. You might want to just quit now.
>>
>>950350
>You are so full of shit.
>a tripfag is full of shit
no shit
>>
>>950425
Lel that's funny.

Yes, rather than being turned back into electricity in a hybrid, the kinetic energy with conventional brakes is turned into thermal energy which heats up the brake rotors and pads and straight dissipates into the atmosphere, which is of zero fucking use to the car aside from causing brake fade when they get to hot which is no fun in a heavy vehicle going down a mountain.

Quoting science books is fun when you are unwilling to look at it all in a real-world and physical application.
>>
>>950431
>Lel that's funny.
You're not even following the conversation...

>>950419
>kill off kinetic energy and turn it into wasted heat
>>950431
>kinetic energy with conventional brakes is turned into thermal energy (sarcasm).

Now, I want you understand that you didn't 'outsmart me', I'm just done talking to you because my trying to force knowledge into that thick skull of yours is a waste of both my time and yours. I truly hope that one day you let go of your arrogance and realize that there's a lot of things that you could actually learn if you didn't already think you knew everything.
>>
>>950443
You know what's interesting with mechanical shit like cars? They are actually combinations of many, many smaller systems. Those laws of physics apply to the very simple basic parts of each system very well. But if you are unable to look at the bigger picture, it will never work.

So simple terms: A heavier car is going to take more fuel to move. But a heavier car has more potential to recoup more electical energy. So let's say 5000lb non-hybrid car uses 100gal of fuel to go 1000mi and a 2500lb car uses 50gal for the same 1000mi.

Now let's say the 2500lb car and 5000lb cars both have a hybrid system and are travleing 1000mi up and down hills or stop and go traffic and able to recoup enough energy where the electric motors supplement 50% of their power so they burn half as much fuel. 2500lb car only uses 25gal to go 1000mi and 5000lb car only uses 50gal to go that distance. So heavier car saves 50gal of fuel while smaller car saves 25gal of fuel. But all the same efficiency, right?

It wouldn't work out with those numbers anyway tho, because assuming the cars are exactly the same but different weights, any time they are cruising on flat ground or not accelerating, they would get basically the same mileage despite one weighing more as long as it was the same car with the same drag.

Idk, it would be a cool experiment do see done between vehicles of different weights using almost 100% regen braking. There is always something unexpected which contributes to the whole thing. If both cars used the same size gasoline ICE and the generator could adapt to the weights. There couple be interesting results and there's some theories on that.

That was my whole original thought anyway before we had the fun of "Hurr this is anonymous! I hate tripfags! Let's argue anyway!".
>>
>>949849
My truck has a brake controller, the KIA does not.

The truck has a regular 7 pin connection, the KIA a 4 pin connection.
>>
a big chest of dragon dildos for your gay asshole
>>
File: IMG_2469.gif (3KB, 423x146px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2469.gif
3KB, 423x146px
>>950484
>4pin
Would you be suprised to hear that the Kia doesn't support trailer brakes?

Dank you got the brake controller on the pickup tho. That's a good option. Just don't let your friends know about before they want to borrow the thing and beat the fuck out of it.
>>
>>950469
Pepsifag, please stay in your fishfag containment thread. You are hurting my eyes.
>>
>>949279
/o/ checking in
The electric motor in the Prius makes more torque (especially down low when you'd actually need it) than a VW diesel. In their "synergy drive" the engine is really just a tag-along to keep you rolling and charging

The only issue with it towing is how fucking light it is and the fact that the rear suspension will sag like middle-aged tits
>>
>>949170
Dont bother because anything you buy that isnt homemade by billy and cletus is going to cost way to fucking much. I was homeless for a year and have been down every fucking path when it comes to tow trailers. The smallest/lightest trailer you can find will be a teardrop trailer but good luck finding a decent one that isnt $5k+. You might as well sleep in a fucking hotel or just get a conversion van for that much.

You are fucked and I hate you.
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.