[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 79

File: 1481753363151.jpg (76KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481753363151.jpg
76KB, 450x600px
#112-"75 and Sunny" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>912446

>tfw perfect day to be outside fishin
How is the weather for those up north? Does it feel good getting cucked by Mother Nature all the time? Just sitting there, weeping, watching Mama N get rammed by 12" of thick, hard black ice.

Still waiting for help with the beginner guides on the Pastebin. I put a little saltwater one in there, but I want to do a river one possibly. Skid typed up a saltwater guide so enjoy the autism and CAbaymang just did a trout one.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
>>914378
What reel u putting on that?

>>914394
Post it nigga

>>914405
What time are you going? Some days it's basically impossible to get largemouth from shore unless you hit them right at dawn or dusk.
>>
>>914394
I'm glad you like it!
>>
someone give me the skinny on building a fishing pond on my property
>>
>>914439
Was that a micro guide rod?
>>
>>914440
Prepare to spend 30K
>>
>>914438
Im probably gonna throw on my black max just to fuck around with it for now, but I'm thinking about getting a Daiwa. I'm gonna wait until after Christmas and see if dicks has any good reel deals.

>>914441
No I don't think so
>>
>>914440
Hire a professional and make sure you get a permit. People tend to dislike you if your pond is built improperly, breaks, and floods them.
>>
>>914445
Get a tatula
>>
File: IMG_1363.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1363.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>914444
Quads of truth

Btw, where is FL fag who can't catch a bass?

Down south here it seems like the Texas rigs are still doin work but they are hitting some hardbaits. Not quite cool enough for big spinners that look like a whole school of baitfish, but smaller stuff (Size #6-#8 Rapalas) that mimic a smaller injured baitfish have been getting some action. And still not cool enough for them to be feeding all day. That was my problem today going out from like noon to 2pm. In February with the pre-spawn bass they will be eating anything and everything.

For the Texas rigs, they always seem to go for smaller worms or baby brush hogs. Colors like Junebug a best for me in most conditions but it all depends on the water. Natural for really good visibility and if they aren't hitting that, chartruse will drive em crazy.
>>
>>914445
Ah, I see. That's a good price because those rods don't go on sale much.

Only reason I was asking is because Dick's had the sale on the Veritas and Veracity micro guide rods and I thought maybe Academy or wherever you are was discontinuing them too.
>>
File: 1461362107413.jpg (27KB, 444x624px) Image search: [Google]
1461362107413.jpg
27KB, 444x624px
>>914441
I have a vendetta paired with Abu revo sx. It's a good all around rod. VERY light weight.
>>
First it came in this box from this fancy company. Never heard of them before but now I might have to try them out.
>>
>>914448
I was looking at those awhile back. The Exceler looks pretty good too.

>>914450
Yeah it was at academy. The last couple guides look smaller than normal guides, but not as small as micro guides. Either way I think it'll work pretty good I've heard good things.

>>914455
Yeah this rod is crazy light. I think slightly lighter than my blackout.
>>
>>914456
Sweet Johnny I do love me some cards.
>>
File: IMG_1181.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1181.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>914455
I have one too. It's straight. I was thinking the exact same thing that it's good all-around. It's not super fast but fast enough for little finesse twitches and at the same time works well for ripping a spinnerbait through the water.

And if you think that is light, you should pick up one of the Johnny Morris CarbonLite rods. The RevoSX is a really light reel (if yours is a baitcaster) and I have that on the CarbonLite and it literally weighs like half of any of my other combos.
>>
>>914459
No worries bro all's good.

And I will definitely be getting jolly.
>>
>>914463
That's why I wanted to go buy the stuff in person and ship it myself but it was just too damn easy with the free shipping to click a couple things online and have em sent right to anon's house.
>>
>>914463
And now to bust the money shot all in y'alls faces.
>>
>>914463
Kek I was trying to find a card related to fishing, but Walmart didn't have any so I figured that was the next best thing.
>>
>>914465
Those gar snags are fucking tight.
>>
>>914466
I do love my lonestars
>>
>>914465
What is that middle Heddon called? It's not quite a popper but looks like it would make a bit more noise and walk more than the spooks. Looks cool.

And whatever that bait on the left is looks dank as well.
>>
>>914467
No guarantees, but they should be pretty solid. I wrapped it with 50lb braid and superglued them, so I think they'll hold up.

>>914469
Chug n spook mang
>>
>>914460
I only used the black carbonlite rods. The new white ones are a lot less quality for the money
>>
File: 65768.jpg (80KB, 1198x590px) Image search: [Google]
65768.jpg
80KB, 1198x590px
Wew lads, can't wait to throw the LX version of this reel onto a 9 foot surf rod.
>>
>>914440
It must be an upland pond. Otherwise you are fucked. Look at denr guidelines.
>>
>>914449
Right here, I've tried everything in several different bodies of water. Getting pretty pissed off because I don't live close enough to saltwater to go every day and I haven't caught a single fish in months aside from a few catfish and some panfish.

About to buy a fishfinder since apparently I need the crutch
>>
>>914483
Wait and see if any go on sale after Christmas
>>
>>914483
>fishfinder

Just learn about the target fish. At most, you'll need a thermometer on a string to check water temps.
>>
>>914472
I have the black one too. They changed some stuff and now the white ones are $90 instead of $120. I haven't played with the white ones much so idk the difference but I'm guessing they brought the CarbonLites down a notch so they could bring in the Titanium8 right above it and the Signature still be the flagship.

Even for the $120, I feel like those black CarbonLite rods are nice for the money. I'd like to play with the new white ones and see if I notice a big difference.

>>914475
Wut company is that? Looks nice. And expensive.

>>914483
That sucks. What baits exactly are you fishing?

Best option I would say is get some Zoom Baby Brush Hogs, ~1/4oz bullet weight, 3/0 EWG worm hook, Texas rig that. Then find a spot where there are some weeds or cover in a shallow area and a dropoff just past the weeds. Fish right along that dropoff around an hour before sunset. Cast it out, let it hit the bottom, and give the Texas rig little hops and twitches along the bottom with like 2-3 sec pauses between the hops. Wait to feel a bite, give the bass a second or two to grab the whole thing, and set the hook.
>>
>>914488
Avet, and yeah they are pretty pricey. Though there are some Shimano reels that are much more expensive.
>>
>>914489
So do those have brakes and spool tensioners just like the memecasters? I have never even used a conventional reel.
>>
>>914487
thats the thing though. All you really need to do to find bass is find weed lines and drop offs. With out one your just driving around guessing you're in the right spot. I mean sure you could spend a few years fishing to figure it out but a fish finer makes that knowledge accessible instantly. They also help you understand the best way to fish certain structures you come up on without as many snags.
>>
>>914491
>>914491
Very similar but a lot of them are not for "casting" traditionally without like 4 ounces of lead or more
>>
>>914494
Dont some people take kayaks and paddle their bait out with those? How much line does it hold?
>>
File: 43256778.jpg (130KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
43256778.jpg
130KB, 528x960px
>>914491
Yeah you have the option of having a magnetic switch on the side or spool tentioner on star drags, though if you practice enough you don't really need it and it just slightly hinders cast distance.

I always opt for cast control becasue birds-nests with 300+ yards of line fucking suck, especially with how fast the spools spin on lever drag reels. Conventionals are very popular here in Texas for some odd reason.
>>
>>914495
Yes they do.

They generally hold a lot more line than spinners or baitcasters. Small ones hold like 300 yards of 17lb mono
>>
>>914495
I cast them off piers and jetties, mostly for sharks and shit.. I have a 50 wide for yakking, mostly for sharks and shit.
>>
>>914493
I've never had a problem without one. I suggest learning how to read the water too. Google maps is amazing for trip planning too.
>>
>>914500
Woops double post. kek
>>
>>914498
For saltwater fishing?
>>
>>914504
>>914504
They get used for catfish and salmon very often. Sturgeon too. Etc etc
>>
>>914487
I want to say I already know about the fish and where they like to hang out. I'm not new to fishing at all and can put myself on trout or redfish easily. I've been fishing structure, drop offs, everywhere that typically holds fish.

Although I guess if I knew as much as I thought I do I'd be catching bass.

>>914488
Chart lizards, red and white jigs, powerbait crawdads, and an original rapala today.

The whole lake is pretty damn shallow right now so all the weed beds are currently in <6 inches of water about 15 feet surrounding them. The only deep areas are in the middle of the lake. Only thing I saw people using here today was buzzbaits so I might try some of those eventually.
>>
>>914508
Is bass fishing new to you or you don't do much of it? That may be why. Just fish more. Read more about habits with water depth, weather, life cycle, time of year, and temps.
>>
>>914508
I have never had luck with buzzbaits. There is lots of other useful topwater stuff but most of it I only really use in the early morning when I can see bass jumping and the water is fairly calm.
>>
File: DSCN6318a.jpg (106KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6318a.jpg
106KB, 1024x768px
More of you need to make and show lures in these threads.
>>
>>914501
The two main lakes I fish are massive. The fish move around a lot and are pretty pressured. You might get lucky to catch two all day if you dont have one. How do I know? because I got a little jhon boat 3 years ago that doesn't have one and have been occasionally bass fishing with it but mostly pan fishing. My uncle has a fish finder on his boat that I bass fish on a lot and it becomes much easier and a lot more fun when you have one. Not to mention the one he has is pretty old and basically is just a depth finder
>>
>>914511
I've only used a buzz bait once in my life and caught a few bass on it that day. I just don't like the way they sound and churn up everything. I prefer poppers and Jitterbugs for topwater.

>>914514
It may be that I "just know" because I'm over that 10k hour requirement for bass fishing or something.
>>
>>914515
How do you find underwater structure and suspending fish is 30ft of water on an unfamiliar body of water?
>>
>>914515
Yeah I definitely dont have that much under my belt. Ive only started try harding bass a few years ago when my uncle taught me how to creek fish for small mouth. Now i'm teaching myself how to lake fish, but like I said they're huge.
>>
>>914516
Easy, I don't fish in such waters. I don't even use a boat. I also don't need to find anything other than the fish. So, I go and catch the fish. I only do it for food. I catch my creel limit and leave.
>>
>>914516
Side scan and a good fish finder
>>
>>914510
Yeah I've only tried for bass about 10 times

>>914516
thats my problem with muddy water and >>914519
is what I think I'm gonna do.

There are so many lakes around here, I've been to the same one the last couple of times so I'm gonna try and find some place with deeper water that actually has a bunch of lilly pads and shit for fish to hide in.
>>
Thoughts on Fenwick eagle vs Penn Allegiance 2 (medium power)? Penn says it's extra fast, while the Fenwick is just fast, thanks in advanced
>>
>>914519
how would you use a fish finder when your not on a boat? And shore fishing is a whole different game. Try going a few miles of shore in 50 feet of water in search of monster smallies
>>
>>914522
Depends on your target species. Sharks or bluegill?
>>
>>914522
I've had my Eagle for about a year and zero complaints if that means anything. Tons of people reccommended it too as the way to go if you are willing to spend $20 more than an Ugly Stik and actually get a good rod.

I want that Fenwick Elite now that one anon has. Pair that with a Pflueger Patriarch or whatever their nice spinning reel is.
>>
>>914526
I don't fish for large fish. Large fish = lots of mercury and PCBs. Not good for eating. I have to throw several fish back for being too large because of that. Even then I can only eat 2 meals of black bass a month due to consumption advisories on them. I said before, I don't use a fish finder.

But, I fish from the shore and catch all I came to catch while people on boats don't seem to do very well when I ask them. So, they buy more equipment to "help" them.
>>
>>914519
>t. anon who only fishes for bluegill with worms and a bobber
>>
>>914530
I jig for panfish sometimes too when I have just completely given up on targeting anything fun.
>>
>>914512
TxLizardFag made me some bitch'n gar snags for fishmas.
>>
>>914530
The two lake I fish in are super clean since they are so big. I personally only eat walleye, salmon, perch, crappie, and trout but I dont eat it very often. Mostly I small mouth large mouth bass, and pike fish and Id never eat any of those. Some people do but I know the other species I already said taste better and most arnt as hard to catch.

The lakes I fish there really isnt such thing as shore bass fishing. If you dont have a boat you dont catch much more then a few perch and sunfish
>>
>>914536
I left them a little long so you could trim them if you wanted. I figure you'd know better than me what length they should be
>>
>>914539
This reminds me does anyone know how to fish for stripers in a tailrace?
>>
>>914527
Targeting redfish, trout, and flounder for the most part
>>914529
I might have to check the elite out
>>
>>914531
>>914535
We are talking about bass fishing.

>>914539
>If you dont have a boat you dont catch much more then a few perch and sunfish

Then they are doing it wrong. the baitfish are there and so to are the predators. As far as taste goes, I prefer catfish.
>>
File: DSCN6323a.jpg (212KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6323a.jpg
212KB, 1024x768px
>>914536
Those are pretty cool.
>>
>>914543
And where are bass found?
>>
File: IMG_3824.jpg (831KB, 3425x2062px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3824.jpg
831KB, 3425x2062px
>>914543
No the majority of those baitfish are off shore. That's why I have that John boat so I can catch perch and usually they are 500 or so yards of shore. That's why the key word in my post was "few" as in you'll get maybe 5 perch if you fish all day from your dock

>>914536
I assume the bar bites is and it tangles on their snout? I've never seen anything like that it seems like a really good idea
>>
>>914545
On my hook.

>>914547
Well, I meet my creel limit so I'm not worried.
>>
>>914475
the mc 6/4 is a good reel. I got to demo one on a 3 day trip. good reel, casts good for being a lever.
>>
File: IMG_3828.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3828.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>914547
Whoops, switched over to my phone to send pics.
>>914547
Gar*
>>
>>914540
I've never used them before so going to play around with them and some of the spoted gar that come in to our pole lights at night. We have gotten them to hit some top waters before but hooks ups are rare as hell.

I have had plans to make some for a few years but when ever I sit down to work on gear its mostly cleaning and organizing my bags or makeing new leaders. I'm stoked as shit because I know I would have just kept putting it off and never would have gotten a chance with some.
>>
File: IMG_3829.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3829.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>914549
the lesson here being don't automatically assume when some says they want a fish finder that we all do the exact type of fishing as you.

I think a lot of us forget that too often.
>>
>>914550
I hope they do, people seem to yolk them pretty damn far on 9 and 10 foot rods.
>>
>>914554
If you want to catch bass, you may want to rethink the boat and extra equipment thing. You need to learn to not use a crutch.
>>
>>914547
>I assume the gar bites is and it tangles on their snout?

Yep, they are a pain in the ass to catch on hooks due to the way they feed and the fact that their mouth is 99% bone.
>>
>>914559
Or you could admit that not everyones location is the same as yours and that some people LIKE to do things differently than you do.
>>
File: IMG_3832.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3832.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>914559
Dude I just explained to that if you want catch decent bass in numbers higher then one a month then you have to leave shore. Sure I could get kayak but I have a boat so I use that. What you consider a "crutch" I consider a way to have more fun and do better in competitive settings.

>>914560
Most of the videos I've seen of people catching gar they have to let them eat the bait for like 15 minutes before finally setting the hook.

There are a few gar in that one river I learned how to smallie fish in. What would be the second best option if what you have wasn't availible you think?
>>
>>914563
>people like to ride on boats and spend lots of money on things to sit around and pretend to catch fish

ok
>>
>>914565
>Dude I just explained to that if you want catch decent bass in numbers higher then one a month then you have to leave shore.

You can from the shore. Learn how.
>>
>>914552
Cool man I hope they work. I've been meaning to fish for some of the big alligator gar we have in the Trinity, but I never have.
>>
>>914572
>"I can catch bass from shore where I fish, therefore everyone can in every body of water"

Im starting to suspect a le epin troll.

No way someone could be this slow
>>
File: surf-fishing_53849807a6b82_w1500.jpg (472KB, 1500x1403px) Image search: [Google]
surf-fishing_53849807a6b82_w1500.jpg
472KB, 1500x1403px
>>914574
theres no way he could be serious either bro..
Its the stuff that people without boats, stuck onna bank wishing they had a boat say.
>>
>>914565
4/0 treble hook on a 15+" steel leader with a free sliding weight or float or your main line after you tie off to a swivel on the leader. Bait it with a live perch at least 4" and hooked in the back behind the dorsal fin. Toss it out and let it sit with just a bait clicker or with the drag set supper loose.

I use this for gar, catfish, bass, and eel. Now comes the hard part.

Catfish will pick it up and slow run with it, set the hook. Bass will make a short but supper fast run then stop, set the hook. Gar will make a fast run then stop wait a few minutes and make a slow run, set the hook. Eel hit hard but then run at a medium pace, set the hook.

It takes some time to know what it is that you have on the other end 3 of them you can just set the hook on. Gar on the other hand will grab the bait and hold it in their mouth while they run to a place they feel safe. Then they start to eat the bait over the course of usually 2-4 minutes. Once the get it into the big part of their mouth and start to swim off again is when you set the hook. Try to soon and 9 out of 10 if it's a gar you will lose him.
>>
>>914581
The only gar I know about are the ones I see periodicly swimming under the dock. The water is only a couple feet deep right there but I see a gar under or around it a lot. Think I could use the rig you said, drop it down and just sight fish it until I think I have a good chance of hooking it? And do you think a small rock bass would make good bait because there is one little rocky area down the road a little that usually holds a few small rockies
>>
>>914581
Also as a word of caution gar are fucking mean as fuck, slimy as fuck and they have sharp as shit teeth and scales that native American tribes used as arrow heads. Bring a towel and some electrical tape. Put the towel over them and close their mouth, then tape it shut. Hold them the towel and use pliers to get the hook out. It's best to have leather gloves.

Don't fish for them during floods as thats when they breed. Their eggs are poisonous so don't eat the eggs. Google has lots of ways to clean and cook them.

They are fun as shit to catch, they fight hard and jump out of the water. Thier skulls make nice Euro mounts.
>>
>>914582
Make a lure like the one TxLizardFag made for me. That would have a better chance of landing one if you know where it is.
>>
>>914491
Picture a bait caster with no level wind
>>914495
Depends. My smallest holds 200/20
My biggest holds 450/50 and I want a Penn senator 14/0 (Google it, it's fuck huge) and a solid fiberglass rod, then ill spool it with several hundred yards of either 200lb power pro or 80-100 lb mono
Maybe ill back it with #100 then do an fg knot and do 500 yards of #150 or #200 power pro. Throw a drag kit in there, it will be badass
>>914504
Anything fuckhuge
>>914522
Flip a coin, heads for fenwick, tails for Penn. You'll be happy with either.
>>914572
>stop being different than me
>>
File: tenkara line holder.jpg (64KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
tenkara line holder.jpg
64KB, 720x960px
this pic is for tenkara anon. what do you think of it? holds line a flies. would it be a good holiday gift for a friend?
>>
>>914595
Skid after much thought (and few beers) I have decided to up my game for the trout fishing.

Seeing as most of the bites happened about 10' away from us I have made pic related.

I'm going to put it on my catfish pole and just toss it out then go back to casting with mu ultra light. I'll let some of those fuckers just gut hook themselves and reel them in.
>>
>>914604
We have a tenkara anon?

Also that is cool as fuck.

Also also sweet doge.
>>
>>914608
Cheap
At least try to not stoop to nig teir
>>914609
Tenkara is cool
But I think the west for a it better. I mean imagine your line is fixed at rod length. You can't reach, or let a fish run and you're always stuck at a 10-15 foot line even if you want less. It's cool but it's kinda weeb
>>
>>914413
Can't find them in straya, have to import and shit will be expensive.
>>
>>914483
Got a fishfinder for my boat mainly for looking for structure and having the depth alarm on so I don't run into a sandbar in parts of the river I haven't fished before. It's handy but also annoying as fuck when it shows there are fish there but nothing will bite.
>>
>>914512
A buddy makes shitloads of timber diving lures, will take photos next time we catch up.
>>
File: kgb.jpg (154KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
kgb.jpg
154KB, 960x960px
i want one of these so fucking bad.
>>
>>914625
3d print or injection mold of a real cast maybe?
>>
>>914625
that thing is insane
>>
>>914631
>Spend $30 bucks on a extreme life like lure.
>snag and bust off on first cast

I'm draining this fucking lake.
>>
>>914636
it'd be a lot more than $30 for something like that. Cant imagine how insane it would be to be able to create something like that.
>>
>>914629
>>914631
>>914636
>>914643
lol..dude this bait sold on ebay for almost $1700 (4chins wont let me post the links)
he makes a very nice bait but damn, thats some deep pockets..he's hinting to reaction strike to make them offshore to bring down the price but truthfully the person that bought it is probably making molds as we speak. incredible swimming action this thing has, almost life like.. wish i could post the vid here
>>
>>914650
>but truthfully the person that bought it is probably making molds as we speak

I would almost gaurantee it. No one in their right mind would spend that much money on (an admittedly extremely well made) lure.
>>
>>914604
>>914609
I do some fishing with fixed line rods I made so it's sort of tenkara. That looks really cool. It would be a pain in the ass to put larger flies with a lot of material in those little holes, when you close it, the parts sticking out will be bent. For little dries and nymphs it looks great.
>>
File: kgbf.jpg (117KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
kgbf.jpg
117KB, 960x720px
>>914629
i'm guessing he froze a frog and then made a mold and went from there. great paint job, not to shiny. for the actual material my guess is probably a alumalite product and microballoons like a lot of other bait makers use for hard baits. pic is of his proto
>>
>>914656
I'd like to see that with a hook on the back like a savage duck so I could run it in areas with weeds and not ruin the presentation.
>>
File: s-l1600111.jpg (275KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600111.jpg
275KB, 1024x1365px
>>914658
yeah i wonder why he put it there also..my guess is ballast. the frog is a slow sinker but has some flotation to surface.
>>
>>914650
There are lure collectors with deep pockets who just want shit to hang on the pool room wall. Friend found a rareish lure that came with a bunch of others for $100 on ebay, he resold the one lure alone for $350 a week later and made $70 selling off the other lures. Owner of a fishing shop here has hundreds of these old yet unopened packages of "blue floppie" lures that were popular in the 80's/90's and went bust, he's in the process of selling the lot to some guy in America for $20,000.

The Lure market is lucrative as fuck.
>>
File: s-l160011.jpg (176KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
s-l160011.jpg
176KB, 1024x1365px
this is the first one ever sold and it came with its own box. 10.9 ozs..I would need a new swimbait rod for this one..
>>
File: Main-Mother-Oikawamesu.jpg (337KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Main-Mother-Oikawamesu.jpg
337KB, 600x450px
>>914661
i believe it! I'm still trying to find a used roman made mother for cheap. cant believe people are buying these left and right for $350 without blinking. swimbait market is fucking crazy it is..
>>
>>914663
They look pretty neat.
>>
Should I switch to 30# braid for pike and catfish? It has 8# diameter.
>>
File: IMG_5195.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5195.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>914694
Yeah just make sure you use the right leaders with that. Braid is the best.
>>
File: image.png (596KB, 1026x1410px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
596KB, 1026x1410px
>30 degrees
>no feeshing

I would kill to be a furry right now.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 236x214px
>>914733
I'm starting to think the skid haters are the real furries.
>>
>>914654
I have some of those fixed line telescopic crappie poles I keep in my XJ.
>>
>>914579
>>914574
lol You are not fishermen.
>>
File: 35367_Slide3Image.png (533KB, 3076x1285px) Image search: [Google]
35367_Slide3Image.png
533KB, 3076x1285px
Always wanted to pick up fishin' as a hobby

Do you fellas usually take a boat out onto a lake or something to fish? (Dont really want to do this if I start getting into it and dont have the resources)

Anyone know of any good spots to fish on Long Island? (ideally central LI, but anywhere will do)
>>
>>914810
You don't need a boat.

I mostly do freshwater and I just find little lakes and ponds in urban and suburban areas. Best ones are in business parks and shit that nobody would think of but you might be trespassing when you fish there.
>>
>>914756
>am a furry
>think skid is an idiot but don't hate him
>>
It's currently 18 degrees here should I try to go fish?
>>
File: IMG_1384.png (608KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1384.png
608KB, 640x1136px
>>914824
Goddamn, I thought you lived in Texas. That sucks.
>>
File: x2Qh22N.jpg (714KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
x2Qh22N.jpg
714KB, 4032x3024px
40 degrees here - trying to figure out if I should even bother fishing today. No bites at the pond, the bass have retreated to inaccessible parts of the pond for winter. Stormy conditions have made the beaches unfishable due to heavy debris in the surf (seaweed, driftwood, etc). Pier was nice yesterday but no bites in 2 hours

Might give the beach a shot but seems dumb last 5 times I've been there I haven't even gotten a real cast in because the seaweed is so damn bad

>sea lion orgy unrelated but saw this at the pier yesterday
>>
File: CNpGyZP.jpg (1011KB, 3629x2722px) Image search: [Google]
CNpGyZP.jpg
1011KB, 3629x2722px
at least the pier has a great view of town (pic related). I just chilled and listened to podcasts while soaking a bait on one rod and working lures on another
>>
File: image.png (800KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
800KB, 750x1334px
>>914829
I think it's even crazier that next week it's suppose to be back up into the 50s/60s. I might go out today with the new rod and cast around a bit for shits a gigs anyway.
>>
>>914837
So you are putting the Black Max on there? Wut rod did you have that on before?
>>
>>914841
Yeah I threw the black max on there last night. It was on uglystik.

I'm probably going to get a nicer real and throw the black max back on the uglystik and use it for cats or as a backup rod.
>>
>>914837
36 in San Marcos
>>
>>914850
If you don't get a Daiwa memecaster, you should get one of the ~$150-$200 Shimano reels. I'd be curious to see how you like it because I know you aren't a complete Shimano shill.

I'm down to try one but just seems like the people who shill them are ones who refuse to even try anything besides Shimano reels.
>>
>>914853
I'd almost rather it be 100 degrees again

>>914858
I've thought about grabbing one before, but there's always something that stops me. I don't know if it's the way they look, or something about how they feel, but there's something that tells me not to buy it. Like I'm sure they're really good reels. I like the little Sedona I have, but their bait casters have never been appealing to me. Maybe I'll try one out though.
>>
>>914867
I'm kinda the same way. They look a bit outdated and there always seems to be something nicer in the price range.
>>
File: 2016-12-17_16-34-01_HDR resize.jpg (215KB, 1256x707px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-17_16-34-01_HDR resize.jpg
215KB, 1256x707px
>>914810
fished with my uncle on his boat out of shine-a-cock LI for a few days over the summer it was a blast. caught lots of fluke and stripers. ive only fished there in the winter once and we caught cod, blackfish(?), seabass and porgys. lots of places to fish and lots of people fishing all along LI.

>>914835
that king tide and the cold front kinda messed stuff up. lots of debris in the water now. had to change the game up and go hunt some dinos.
>>
>>914869
Hell I might just leave the black max on there, just buy some of those EVA knob handles, and call it good. It's not a bad reel at all.
>>
>>914871
wtf there are sturgeon in the monterey bay area?

The king tide done fucked my shit up. The structure on every beach is completely different and the debris is unfishable.

Was cool seeing the water so high though desu
>>
>>914867
>>914869
the tranx and the calcutta d, I like a lot.
but for lighter casting stuff i prefer lew's
>>
>>914874
no, this is sf bay benicia pier.. dinos are all over the place right now from the rains. the storm shut down the striper bite tho' which sucks.
>>
>>914875
I think those are a little out of my price range to catch bass lol.

If I do get one i think it'd be a Caenan 150 A, or a Chronarch 150 CI4+ since I'm autistic about the rod/reel colors matching.
>>
File: DSCN6332a.jpg (671KB, 3225x1101px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6332a.jpg
671KB, 3225x1101px
>tfw when watching chocolate-brown rising flood waters
>>
Tfw when they're about to stock trout in this little pond/lake about 15 minutes from my house

What use to catch
>>
>>914899
Idk try a spinner or curly tail grub
>>
>>914901
Good enough for me
>>
>>914541
Big swimbaits or streamers. Target the upstream portion of deep holes during the day and deeper runs right before sunset
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>914899
powerbait. yellow and hatchery color.
tiny treble with half a nightcrawler.
put the worm on first then mold some powerbait around the hook. you can inflate the worm if you like to float it up higher if you like.
>>
>>914899
Don't eat them. They have up to 16 times the amount pollution due to what they've been fed.
>>
File: DSCN6339a.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6339a.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
>>914881
>tfw when

...when winter is just revving up. At least next month I'll be catfishing and starting seedlings for the next growing season.
>>
File: IMG_5292.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5292.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Wish me luck senpai
Fishing for sharks/rays.
>>
>>914694
Yes
>>914810
Shore /surf mostly
>>914756
They're the only ones bringing furries up
>>914881
Needs more shit to fuck with the water and let fish.know it's there. I like conehead wooly burgers in black with rubber legs for that.
>>914899
Big ass wooly buggers
>>914941
Good luck
Post pics when done
>>
File: image.jpg (505KB, 1500x2668px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
505KB, 1500x2668px
I feel bad for you anons where it's like this (or much colder) all winter. The new rod feels good. I think I am gonna get a nicer reel for it tho.

>>914932
Nah I just want to catch some since the bass seem to have lockjaw at the moment.

>>914948
I might break out the ol fly rod
>>
File: 20161218_152658-1.jpg (1MB, 2482x2015px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_152658-1.jpg
1MB, 2482x2015px
>>914950
I feel bad for you anons who don't get to experience the comfyness of a white Christmas. Sitting inside doing nothing feels great when you know that you will literally die outside.
>>
>>914970
I hate the winter. November and December weren't terrible and the first snow of the year is always pretty. But when I lived up north, I would always get this pit in my stomach the first couple brisk fall nights. I still get it down here when we get a coldfront and the first <60F night. Just reminds me of school starting and terrible weather and short days. And then by February everything is dead and the snow is gray and you just want to commit sudoku.

It's just so much easier to get out of bed in the morning when it isn't -4F outside.
>>
Diassembled, cleaned all the components, and reassembled the 712z from ~1975.

Next up is to pack the main housing with marine grease, then use my dremel to cut the bail off

Will post pics when done
>>
File: DSCN6341a.jpg (319KB, 3480x629px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6341a.jpg
319KB, 3480x629px
>>914948
>Needs more shit to fuck with the water and let fish.know it's there. I like conehead wooly burgers in black with rubber legs for that.

That would be a completely different lure.
>>
>>914932
You're literally retarded. No they dont. The FDA regulates them and they are safe dumb fuck.
>>
>>915008
Are you gunna drill it and slot it?

Go ghetto van staal.
>>
>>914932
>16 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF "POLLUTION"

Yeah okay fag. Did you read that on imright.com or statisticsimadeupjustnow.org or what?

Farmed trout are safe. So are tilapia. So are salmon. So are bass. So are catfish. So are striped bass. They are all farmed and all sage to eat. Even farmed carp are safe to eat.

You're a fucking idiot. They'd don't feed them lead and mercury pellets.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 499x230px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 499x230px
>>915013
Does no one at all use google?
>>
>>915018
>>915013
>Today, most of the salmon available for us to eat is farmed. Early studies reported high levels of PCBs and other contaminants in farmed salmon – higher than in some species of wild salmon, such as pink salmon. Follow-up studies haven't confirmed this and the consensus among scientists and regulators is that farmed salmon and wild salmon are safe foods.

>Farmed salmon available in Washington state markets is produced in Washington State, Canada, Maine, or Chile. Studies on salmon from these sources have shown low levels of organic contaminants in the fish. Strict rules on contaminant levels in feed ingredients are now in place. Changes in feed have lowered contaminant levels in these fish.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Food/Fish/FarmedSalmon
>>
>>915021

So what’s wrong with the fish feed? Why is it so toxic? In one Norwegian fish pellet plant, the main ingredient turns out to be eel, used for their high protein and fat content, and other fatty fish from the Baltic Sea.

That’s where the problem begins, as the Baltic is highly polluted. Some of the fish used have toxic levels of pollutants, which then simply get incorporated into the feed pellets.

In Sweden, fish mongers are now required to warn patrons about the potential toxicity of Baltic fish. According to government recommendations, you should not eat fatty fish like herring more than once a week, and if you’re pregnant, fish from the Baltic should be avoided altogether.

Swedish Greenpeace activist Jan Isakson reveals some of the sources of all this pollution. Just outside of Stockholm, there’s a massive paper mill on the bank of the Baltic that generates toxic dioxins.

Nine other industrialized countries surrounding the Baltic Sea also dump their toxic waste into this closed body of water. Dioxins bind to fat, which is why herring, eel, and salmon are particularly vulnerable, and end up accumulating higher amounts than other fish.

As a result of being deemed unfit for human consumption, some of these fatty fish are now primarily used as fish food. In this way, toxicity in the farmed salmon is allowed to build up even higher than in the wild.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/30/salmon-fish-farming.aspx
>>
>>915025
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/farm-raised-fish-not-free-mercury-pcb-dioxin/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/13/salmon.farmed.fresh/
>>
>>914970
That sucks

While you're literally avoiding death by hunkering down indoors I'll be enjoying the sun and the warmth by taking the boat out to do a little drum fishing
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 750x1334px
I've got my reel choices narrowed down to a quantum smoke or the Shimano chronarch ci4+. I'll decide when I can see them in person.

>>914970
It snows here sometimes lol. While that is very comfy, I'd rather be fishing.
>>
>>915014
never heard of this mod post more info
>>
>>915032
lol I wish I had my camera the other day when testing lure action out. The braided line was coming in completely frozen. As it hit the first eye, shards of ice and ice dust were flying everywhere.
>>
>>915032
You would be retarded to get the quantum
>>
>>915035
Kek

>>915036
Why? It has decent reviews.

Also looking at the Daiwa Zillion TWS or an Abu SX
>>
>>915019
>>915021
>>915025
That's salmon not trout and this is Texas not Sweden.
>>
>>915036
>>915038
I have a smoke inshore PT, is that the reel you're looking at?

IDK what anons problem is its a pretty damn awesome reel

I heard quantum has a bad rep from a few bunk models but the one I have is not among them
>>
>>915040
>>915038
Pretty much any brand works better than quantum
>>
>>915040
No it's this one.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quantum_Smoke_100_Casting_Reels/descpage-NSRB.html
>>
>>915040
>>915049
Also, that inshore o

>>915044
Okay so you don't have any real reasons to dislike it? Kewl I hate quantum now
>>
>>915052
Are there any hot girls in Texas who like to fish?
>>
>>915032
>>915038
That Smoke looks like an awesome reel. Those have like unanimously great reviews so I wouldn't hesitate to jump on one of those.

>>915044
>>915052
Kek. One or two bad models from Quantum and they get so much shit. The reviews normally don't lie on reels like that where there are hundreds of them and they have sold thousands.

And you already have the Revo S, I don't think you should get the SX. It is just so similar. Try a different brand so when you are really ready to grab a $400 reel, you will know a bit about all the brands.
>>
>>915052
Also that inshore one is pretty*

If I ever get a Gucci blue rod I'm definitely getting one of those.

>>915054
My ex...

But for the most part the hot girls will only fish if their with their dads or boyfriends
>>
>>915049
>>915044
>>915052
oh well for casters they may be complete shit I wouldn't know

their spinning reels are above par for the price level in my opinion
>>
>>915039
>actually trusting companies to have your best interest at heart

Just catch wild grown natural fish and to hell with the rest if you are going to be eating them. You are also incorrect.
>>
>>915056
Yeah the smoke is what I'm leaning towards the most.

>And you already have the Revo S, I don't think you should get the SX

STX*

And the only real reason I'm thinking about the SX is because I've loved all the Abu stuff I have, and it matches the rod. It's the safe bet lol.
>>
>>915011
Yeah. That's exactly what I'm saying. In chocolate milk water fish use their eyes last
>>
>>915032
second for Shimano
>>
>>915060
Their bait casters are shit. Spinning may be okay I don't know.
>>
>>915065
I think your tinfoil hat is poisoning your brain.
>>
>>915081
Summer child.
>>
File: IMG_3834.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3834.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Guess you guys just don't have Nord bloood in you like me. Spent the majority of the day outside in jeans and a light jacket. Not even that bad out.

Snow just started back up again
>>
>>914881
Digging that pattern.
>>
>>915067
I keep forgetting it's the STX. Somebody else has an S on a Veritas. I think main difference is the SX only has magnetic brakes and no Infini system.
>>
File: DSCN6349a.jpg (132KB, 1009x866px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6349a.jpg
132KB, 1009x866px
>>915096
I just got in some merino base layer stuff and will be fishing once it gets colder next month. Everything is giant ice sheets churning like a blender full of glass right now.
>>
>>915126
I dont really worry about what I have on. Usually just shorts, tee-shirt and hoodie as base layer. Then my snow pants, Jacket, hat and some light gloves and Im good to go. If I know its going to be really windy I will wear my snowmobile jacket because that fucker is warm as shit
>>
>>915130
But, it is -15F--20F here in Jan. Everything from "nose to toes" has to be covered when you are out in the wind all day. My beard usually has a mass of ice by the end of the day.
>>
>>915132
It was like that here the last two years. It was -7 yesterday. The only real problem is the wind. As long as its not too windy I dont get cold
>>
>>915096
Nah just Irish hill people
>>
File: beasts.jpg (122KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
beasts.jpg
122KB, 720x960px
>>915034
for old reels drill holes in the bottom of the spool rotor and add drain slots on the side of the spool rotor...

>>915032
played with the smoke at the tackle expo felt pretty good in the hand.

pic not related
>>
>>915210
Oh I see, that sounds like an alternative to what I was going to do - pack it to the brim with marine grease so its water tight

If I really end up liking the bail-less 712z I will go the extra mile and do drain holes etc. Could probably reduce the weight quite a bit too
>>
File: beast.jpg (29KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
beast.jpg
29KB, 360x480px
>>915213
the reel gets packed with grease as well.. if you think youll be wading or swimming. the holes are so water doesnt sit in the rotor cup. and i guess to lighten the reel some.
>>
>>915224
Won't be wading that aggressively, so the only positive that would have is that I could throw the rod in the sand then dunk it in the waves and start fishing again
>>
>>915230
What I would do is drill and tap a hole, put a screw in there, if you need to drain it just pop the screw out
>>
Ok what would be a great gift to give a fishing enthusiast? All around freshwater fishing.
>>
So apparently that little pond they're stocking trout in has only been stocked with bass once in 2009. They put in 10 bass and 30 sunfish. Do y'all think it's worth bass fishing there too, or will I probably waste my time?
>>
File: skidposters.png (23KB, 1106x892px) Image search: [Google]
skidposters.png
23KB, 1106x892px
>>915255
>>915283
>>
File: 2016_12_07_09.11.51.jpg (42KB, 655x523px) Image search: [Google]
2016_12_07_09.11.51.jpg
42KB, 655x523px
>>915290
>>
>>915275
Deeper fish finder

its bretty neat/10
>>
>>915290
>deleting my posts

What is this? Reddit?
>>
>>915275
A BPS gift card unless you know exactly what he wants
>>
File: IMG_1392.jpg (31KB, 176x176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1392.jpg
31KB, 176x176px
>>915275
Rod holder.

Or some Meppsâ„¢

But it's hard to buy rods or tackle as gifts unless you know exactly what they like.
>>
>>915363
I need one of these.
Or due to space constraints,im better off making several wall mounts one below the other
>>
>>914820
>am mentally ill
FTFY

>>915363
Most people into fishing/hunting/any hobby appreciate gift cards to stores a million times more than actual gifts unless they specifically tell you what they want
>>
>>915291
What?!
>>
File: IMG_1393.png (248KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1393.png
248KB, 640x1136px
>>915366
The little wall mount ones are cheap
>>
>>915366
I use screw hooks.
>>
>>915415
This
But I use the ones with the plastic coating
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 640x631px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 640x631px
Hory shet
>>
File: Making fishing swivels.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Making fishing swivels.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>915446
>"What an amazing day. I went fishing with my buddy JR Wright, and ended up catching a 10.80-pound spotted bass today. It has the potential to be a World Record. I am really thankful that I have sponsors who make the best gear in fishing. A fish like this on light line took every bit of technology I had in the boat. I was using one of my prototype Daiwa Tatula rods, which is a signature series coming out soon, a Daiwa Exist reel, 6-pound Seaguar Tatsu Fluorocarbon line, a Strike King Lure Company Ocho. I spotted it suspended over 100 feet of water using Garmin Panoptix. Being able to see them out in front of us before we moved over them made it possible. In total, our best 5 spotted bass weighed more than 40 pounds.

I hate shit like that. I wonder what it is being like that much of a whore.

>There is also another angler, Wes Roberson who caught an 11-pound spotted bass in January of 2016 that is also pending record status.

Kek
>>
File: x-ray image pfd.jpg (121KB, 729x943px) Image search: [Google]
x-ray image pfd.jpg
121KB, 729x943px
>>915446>>>>915210>>915224 same
>>
File: fishinglure1fc.jpg (94KB, 860x510px) Image search: [Google]
fishinglure1fc.jpg
94KB, 860x510px
>>915396
a friend made rod racks in his garage mounted to the ceiling. kept his seasonal rods and reels there. when he eventually went to use them the mono was perma coiled. we guessed that it was from the heating and cooling of the roof or possibly the constant heat from his water heater? the mono was so coiled he had to re-spool like eight setups..lol
just a warning dont mount them up high where theres heat if you care about them.
>>
>>915454
its partly heating up then cooling down that gave it a set, and the rest is that mono stores for shit.
>>
>>915275
Like everyone else said unless you know exactly what they want, don't buy rods, reels, ect.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas because my mom wanted to get me an actual present, so I had to tell her which models of rods and reels to get.

>>915447
Cmon anon if some company offered you money to fish and shill their products you definitely would. It's like the easiest job in the world.
>>
File: PVC Rod Holders.png (4KB, 607x154px) Image search: [Google]
PVC Rod Holders.png
4KB, 607x154px
Rod travel containers?

I want to keep a couple rods and reels stashed behind my truck seats. That's among tools, tarps, cargo netting, etc. They'd need some robust containers and they'd be compressed by the seat from time to time. What would be the best type? I might end up using some Schedule 2, PVC pipes. Like this paint design.

>>915459
>if some company offered you money to fish and shill their products you definitely would

Absolutely not.
>>
>>915461
>Absolutely not.
Why not? If it's stuff I'm using and would recommend to someone anyway, what difference does it make?
>>
>>915461
Pvc pipe is the fastest easiest and cheapest that will protect your rods. Will also protect the best.
>>
File: Typical Gear Whore.jpg (109KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Typical Gear Whore.jpg
109KB, 800x533px
>>915464
It is the principal of the thing. If you can't understand why then you are part of the problem.

>>915465
Yeah, it seems that a lot of the hard case ones online are actually PVC. The local hardware prices are far far cheaper.
>>
Literally every piece of """""advice""""" skid shares is pure retardation. Just do the exact opposite of what he says and you'll be fine.
>>
>>915464
Hell I would shil zebco if they paid me to fish.
>>
>>915468
So you've never shilled for any product before ever? I mean yeah if you're doing it just for the money that's dumb, but if its products you actually stand behind there's nothing wrong with that at all.

>>915474
id probably be down to shill for Abu, power pro, and zoom
>>
>>915479
If they want to pay me enough to spend my life sitting around fishing in a badass boat. Then I will fucking call turd on a broken tree branch the best fucking rod and reel ever made.

If you are dumb enough to buy it then thats on you.
>>
>>915482
I wouldn't blame you, I just would feel bad tricking retards and such
>>
>>915483
If you watch someone on TV or the internet tell you how great something is and then go out and buy it without research or trying it out. If you keep that product after you find out that it is complete shit and don't return it for a full refund. Then you deserve to be separated from your money.
>>
>>915454
Mono just degrades and has bad memory. You could probably store the reels just about anywhere for a long period of time and the mono will take the shape of the spool and coil and lose strength.

Mono should be replaced minimum every spring and more often if you fish a lot.

>>915426
>>915415
You can buy just the plastic clips for the rod holders and screw those onto the wall or 2x4's as well if you want to do it cheap.
>>
>>915479
We are talking about public product whoring for money. Unpaid shilling can be just as bad.

No, I've never shilled for a product. Shilling isn't just saying that you use a product or even like the product. It is trying to get others to use the product too.
>>
File: Honey-Hole-Shrub-4.jpg (82KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Honey-Hole-Shrub-4.jpg
82KB, 800x534px
What do you guys think about artificial fish attractors for lakes and ponds?
>>
>>915519
Yeah mang I still don't see an issue as long as you actually like the products you're promoting. I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Like >>915486 said, if someone is too dumb/lazy to actually research a product, and decide if it's want you want, I have a hard time feeling bad for them.
>>
>>915372
Skids half brother died in that Oakland rave fire. Kek
>>
>>915531
They do good for the lake so who cares
>>
>>915396
>>915415
i keep my rods stored in pieces, not assembled.
All 2pc, and one 3pc surf rod.
So i guess i'd need wider holes.
>>
File: Fish-Attractor-3.jpg (709KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Fish-Attractor-3.jpg
709KB, 2048x1536px
>>915540
>>915531
They are fucking trashy and use plastic. PLASTIC

Proper wildlife management use old xmas trees. Real trees.
>>
>>915473
>>915291
>>915539
Just fuck him and get over it already, we all know you've got it hot for skiddums.

>>915519
That lure looks fucking beautiful.
I want to fly fish for the lures but literally everything else about it sounds awful.
>>
File: 2013-news-nov2.jpg (23KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
2013-news-nov2.jpg
23KB, 450x338px
>>915558
You can fly fish without using a fly rod and all the stuff involved. You just won't be using standard fly casting techniques. Wet flies will be the easiest to use without fly casting techniques because you can couple them with weights and/or floats. The fly in that video is perfect for normal rod use.
>>
I learned that bass, smallest and lmb, aren't native to my state.

Weird since you'd think with bluegill being native, something would eat them up. Maybe bullhead have naturally.
>>
>>915572
>bluegill being native

Bass and bluegill native ranges mostly overlap. There's a reason bluegill are stocked in places bass are stocked too.
>>
>>915602
I'm in NJ, and they are listed as introduced on the .gov site and some other sources. Most sunnies are native however.
>>
File: P1012800-©MikeLongOutdoors.jpg (901KB, 2156x1303px) Image search: [Google]
P1012800-©MikeLongOutdoors.jpg
901KB, 2156x1303px
>>915563
>>915558
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dp8RK8_sRw
>>
>>915558
Just rig streamers on a dropshot or a Carolina rig
But fly fishing is a lot of fun
>>
>>915531
They aren't so much attractors as they are artificial cover
Now cover itself attracts fish so there ya go

An easier much cheaper alternative is go out right after Xmas
Pick up as many Xmas trees as you want
Wire a cinderblock to the bottom and toss it in your favorite lake in a good position
>>
File: camp.jpg (81KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
81KB, 960x540px
>>915671
>>915552
can confirm.

In the process of stocking my grandfathers pond by hand and we dumped a bunch of trees in a corner of the pond to have a good area for bait fish to live and grow. Im going to use my boats live well in the spring and summer to dump a bunch of gills and perch in there.

pic related is the pond. All it has in it now is tiny stunted bull head.
>>
>>915474
Id sure as shit shill for zebco. I've probably caught 500 fish on my $15 dock demon. Pretty fun loaded with 1lb
>>
>>915632
Thats not a real fish!
>>
>>915676
Me and the old dude I ice fishing with have been trying to convince this one place to let us dump trees in the lake to help

Ice fishing this year will be fun since water is so low here
>>
File: IMG_4286.jpg (276KB, 988x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4286.jpg
276KB, 988x675px
>>915681
>>
Is rod and wheel fishing less effective at catching rainbow trout, or does it matter? I want to bring a friend fishing buy I've never river or lake fished before
>>
>>915693
It depends. You can always throw flies with a bubble on spinning gear. Stuff like crank baits and spinners can clean up but can also be iffy in really clear water. However even fly fishing is hard if the water is clear and low enough.

If the conditions are good I think it's easier to present non-fly lures for a beginner especially in moving water. I've caught lots of bows sweeping a crawfish crank through a deep run.

If you're fishing stockers and your state let's you use bait then for sure use a spinning rod.
>>
Anyone want to help me find an ice fishing rod for sale online anywhere?
I own one and want to buy like 4 more
Brand is HT
Icelander is model
24 inch long
Noodle action

Dicks website has them but it's all fucky since I'm on my phone
Not sure if it's different on computer
>>
File: image.jpg (438KB, 1816x2102px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
438KB, 1816x2102px
>>915255
You're a genius skid! Next time I get water in its cup I'll spend 5 minutes unscrewing screw, letting the water drain and putting the screws back in.
>>
>>915676
Get trout in there first
>>915693
Depends. Both work well, both are fun, I think fly fishing moving water is easier than regular fishing in moving water but that's me
>>915706
I want to get in to ice fishing.
>>
>>915727
Are those speed holes on the side?
>>
>>915734
No, they're slots. If sand gets stuck between the spool and rotor it gives it a place to fall out. Also they're aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>915727
Not sure if sarcasm or not but I was picturing just two screws fairly large diameter just finger tight. In screw one, screw it back in when it's drained
>>
File: image.jpg (655KB, 1874x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
655KB, 1874x2448px
>>915734
Slots
>>
>>915733
Jigging for panfish is stupid fun
Fish after fish after fish for hours if you want
Plus I help teach a kids ice fishing seminar and that's rewarding
>>
>>915738
>>915742
Yup, speed holes.
>>
>>915745
Maybe ill get into it. There's a $15 combo at Dicks I can put some line on and go out with. Do I -need- an auger or can I just a hole in the ice with a cheap axe?
>>
>>915749
Thin ice a chisel or axe will work
Anything over 4 inches you're going to want an auger , even if it's only a small diameter one ( I personally pulled a 7 lb bass out of a 5 inch hole )

I need to find more of the rod I'm looking for, it's perfect forwhat I do fishing

Also don't go out on less than 3 inches of good solid ice unless you want to go for a swim
>>
>>915749
Rip skid
>>
>>915759
I'm not sure I'd be confident on less than 4 inches. How much is an auger? How hard is drilling the ice? Do I need anything more than a bucket to sit on, sugar to drill with, and line to fish with? Do I really even need the rod or could I just run a hand line (10-15 pound mono tied off to a few feet of 4 pound line)
>>
>>915766
You might find one on Craigslist used otherwise new I don't think they're too cheap

Drilling holes is easy enough once you get the ha ng of it
But small holes are easier to drill and u less you're fishing for monsters you don't really need a huge hole
I sit on a 7 gallon bucket since I'm 6 ft 3 and the extra height is more comfy for me

If you feel really cheap and don't want to spend the $10 for a rod go get some shark wire and bend the end in a loop like an eye on a rod
Carve a wooden handle for it and use it as a hand line

All my ice rods have shark wire spring bobbers on them
>>
>>915766
I'll post pictures of some of my shit tomorrow after work
I'm totally down for making cheap shit good etc instead of spending a ton of money on expensive rods and reels

If you do start ice fishing and enjoy it I can send you some hand made jigs and other shit
>>
>>915778
What if I just use my 5'6" ugly stuck.ultralight?
>>
>>915676
Weird that its so inactive. Yellow bullhead can handle low oxygen water but could it be the pH of the water thats throwing off the biodiversity?
>>
>>915783
Short rods usually are best , more sensitive
You could probably just use the tip section
Though if jigging for panfish you'll probably want a spring bobbers anyways
>>
Went ice fishing for the first time today. It was pretty fun. Ended up losing something massive after 4 hours of no bites. Big bummer, but it was my fault for buying a $15 combo. Ended up redeeming myself with a few small crappie. Overall ice fishing is awesome. It puts hair on your chest and leaves you feeling super satisfied at the end of the day.
>>
File: 14822071813181149374184.jpg (946KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
14822071813181149374184.jpg
946KB, 1200x1600px
Anyone care to guess what's wrong with my new 4 piece reddington fly rod?
>>
>>915786
What if I just duct tape a pen spring to an old glove and just hand line it?
>>
>>915742
Did you cut those with a dremel? I've been trying to remove my bail wire but the damn thing wont hold a charge
>>
File: IMG_2684.jpg (983KB, 3024x1645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2684.jpg
983KB, 3024x1645px
>>915733
You think trout would survive in a pond like that though? It's not that small and pretty deep in some spots but it doesn't have any running water flowing into it. Just natural springs I think.
>>915785
The bullhead where put in there by my mom and her friend when they where my age. It was the only species ever introduced. I read online if they are the only species in that body then they will multiply so much that food will become harder to find and they will all stay the same size. Pic related is how big they get. There are thousands and thousands of them in there though so when I introduc other competition they should lessen in population but increases in size.
>>
>>915821
kek
>>
File: 456.jpg (13KB, 236x351px) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
13KB, 236x351px
>>915821
The same thing that's wrong with most multi-piece rods, they get jammed or they won't stay fixed into position.

>tfw your rod separates while casting for the 10th time.
>tfw you can't separate your rod to stuff it into the carrying case
>>
>>915922
Never had an issue.
Dont gorilla force the pieces together, but dont sissy them together either and voila.

I learned the former the hard way...And the rod in question was thin as fuck, so i couldn't get a grip on it for my life
>>
>>915907
/r/ing the Sir Nibblesworth wanted poster
>>
>>915676
>All it has in it now is tiny stunted bull head.

What are the species that you know for a fact that are in that pond? Nice pond.

>>915907
>it doesn't have any running water flowing into it. Just natural springs I think.

Rain runoff water and a good base to prevent seepage. My pond has a similar setup, but during drought it really goes down; about 1.5 feet or more.

>It was the only species ever introduced.

It really needs panfish, if they are not already in there. The food chain should be something like this,

Crayfish>Fathead Minnow>Panfish (Lepomis, Pomoxis)>Yellow Perch>Black Bass-Channel Catfish-Blue Catfish-Walleye>Pike>Musky

You stock in order of the food chain,

forage species>wait 2 years>small sport species>wait 2 years>large sport species

If you mix this up you may need to introduce LARGE amounts of the species needed in order for them to survive long enough to reproduce. You'll need to introduce full size panfish and 8-10 inch black bass so they have the size to fend off the other fish. You can stock larger black bass of course, but smaller than 8-10" will spend more energy evading than growing. The same goes with other catfish, make sure they are as large as the bullheads.

Remember food species, like fathead minnows, are stocked in amounts of 5-15 pounds per acre. Paying for stocking is expensive, but highly worth it. Stocking by hand is fine when you stock lunkers, but only in an established ecosystem.
>>
>>915923
I think it has to do more with rod material and weather conditions than simply the amount of pressure used. Some rods are just shit in that regard.

Use those rubber foam screens that go under cutting boards to help you get a grip on the rod. Dollar stores usually sell a roll of the material and you can use scissors to cut it to smaller sizes to keep with your fishing gear.
>>
>>915907
I think they would do okay. But first I'd get a few bigger catfish in there to thin the bullheads. And kill any you catch
>>915922
Never had that issue with any of my fly rods
>>
File: camp2.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
camp2.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>915928
Just looked up what it would cost to have it stocked all at once by a hatchery and lets just say... fuck that... it would be around $9,000 for minnows, crayfish, bluegill, crappie, perch, and bass to be stocked according to the nearest hatcheries website. That's also not including delivery.

>>915956
They have trout available and they would indeed do fine in that pond but they dont reproduce in ponds so if I wanted to keep a nice trout population It would mean I would have to buy more every few years and I dont really like the sound of that especially when the fish I calculated above all can reproduce on their own after being in there two years
>>
>>914434
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzCz9-rr_fzn56cgZ7HFSA
>>
>>915964
You need to drag a net across there to really see what is living in there. If the pond has been around for awhile, there has to be more than just bullhead. There are ways that fish get introduced into new lakes besides just humans.
>>
File: pond and brook.png (2MB, 1034x902px) Image search: [Google]
pond and brook.png
2MB, 1034x902px
>>915973
trust me dude Ive sat on the dock and gone around in a john boat multiple times with my entire tackle box and all I've ever caught was bullhead. If I use a worm a bull head grabs it in seconds. I've tried mepps, jerk baits, small drop shots, small grub soft plastic, you name it. All that any of those have ever produced is the same size bullhead I get with worms.

There is a cool brook that runs behind it but there is no way even if there was fish in it they could get into the pond
>>
>>915977
Word is that ducks and shit can transfer the fish eggs too.

You never see minnows or anything in there? Has to be something small for the bullhead to be eating.

And fuck this rain. Already got a late start this morning now I'm just sitting in the truck because it's pouring.
>>
>>915979
Nope. only time you can see any fish from the shore is when its really hot out and the all the swarms of bullhead swim right under the surface of the water and makes it look like its boiling. kinda cool to see.

That same grandpa's later wife has a small pond in the back of her property that is a few miles away from this one and it has bass and blue gill. Not sure how either of them got in there but they have been there longer than I have been alive.

Im as astonished as you guys that no other species is in this pond. especially considering how clean and untouched it is.
>>
>>915983
Well you've got an established forage for big cats. See if you can't get some 5 pound baby flatheads imported. You only need about a dozen to start just to thin the bullhead so that maybe something else can survive
>>
>>915989
My plan is to get as many sunfish and minnows in there as I can from the big lake in the spring. Probably do the same thing next year too depending on how many I can find. Once I know I have a good established feeder fish population Im going to introduce some LMB
>>
>>915989
I would add invasive species
I know it's just a pond but cant their eggs be spread by birds at all? Maybe it's something rare and only shows after thousands of years.
>>
>>915995
Introduce some big bass in the spring, I bet they'll eat the bullheads
>>
>>915997
would not*

Also Id focus on making the surrounding coast fishable and not lined 100% with foliage
>>
>>916000
Technically flat heads would be non-native, not invasive. Like trout in Ohio
I'd imagine they would have a hard time reproducing in ny
>>
>>916000
why? figure its a lot better for smaller fish to live in since there are a lot of submerged to partially submerged bushes and stuff all around majority of the shore. My uncle built that dock so I can either fish from there or take that little boat and paddle around. It only take a minute or two to row to the other side

I also agree with not adding anything invasive. As much as I would love to add native pike and musky I feel like there could only be enough space for a handful of them and they are a lot harder to catch than bass, even if I am the only one who will ever fish it
>>
>>916004
I meant make the coast, like land, not crowded with trees that make shore casting near impossible.

I know this still sort of affects the food sources since trees over water contribute to fall ins and also the fact that fish like shade. So only do some areas while leaving others completely bushed.

You could open the pond up for public use too maybe. Start by inviting a state's club of fishermen. They'd be giddy to hit anything that was untouched by public use.

You can remain it private and invitational only or sell it to the state later on?
>>
>>916007
fuck dot. Im building this pond up for one person, me. Maybe my kids when I get older. Other then that I dont anyone touching it. Probably sounds selfish but idgaf, if someone wants to fish there is a 50,000+ acre lake just to the south of there
>>
>>916009
I dont see it as a problem, but if it was me i'd feel better if people actually shared the experience with the pond.

It's not selfish but more about what makes me feel happy and proud- showing off the pond to all these fishermen without one.
>>
>>916013
That sounds fun, I would make some arbitrary rules for visitors to my pond for shiggles

>no chartreuse
>no memecasters

What would your guys' rules be
>>
>>916034
Fly rods, poles, or memecasters with braid only
>>
>>916034
In reply to that, I was originally thinking about hosting some tournaments or meetings for any fishing clubs.

You know you're not inviting any noobs and only respectful fishermen would be there.

Along with that you can impose rules that they'd understand and comply with.

There's a fishing forum just for my state so if I talked to the forums admins, put together some of the profits, and started some event for the forum's members, it would be a blast.
>>
>put exotic, elusive, fish in private pond
>sell permits to youtubers

I can hear 1rod1reel shouting and see jon b's amazing figure holding the fish.
>>
would it be possible for there to be natural spawning trout or any type of fish in a 10 mile stream/brook that goes through the middle of the woods? I really want to get out and fish that area behind the pond to see if anything is in there, cant imagine the whole thing would be empty
>>
>>916068
Probably. They might be dinks but If you have a 3 or 4 weight rod...
>>
File: you.jpg (17KB, 480x318px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
17KB, 480x318px
>>915828
drill the holes first. a hole at each end of the / / / / opening then use the cutting disc to make the slots. theres tut on stripersonline on how to pimp em.

>>915907
buy some bags of fish chow, introduce some baitfish into the pond to balance it off. theyll grow. friend has a tilapia pond and he stuck some cats in it thinking they would keep the pond clean. now he has a pond with some huge ass cats and not so many tilapia.

>>915964
>goes to fish monger
>buy 20bs live crawfish @$7.99lb
>dump 15lbs of crawfish into lake
>boil up 5lbs of crawfish to eat

>go to pet store
>buy 10 ciclids
>3 carp
>100 feeder fish
>release into pond
>wait 1 year
>fish

>>915983
thats beautiful

>starts jetski..
>>
>>916070
I just googled the "river" as they call it and it says it holds only large mouth bass. I doubt it though because I also googled the name of my grandpas pond and the same website has bass, perch, and bullhead as species within the water. Not sure where this info even comes from, I assume they are just guessing t b h.

>>916072
its a 4 acre pond so it will take quite a lot of fish to get it to the point that I want it. Maybe by the time im 30 it will be decent
>>
>>916034
You'd break my heart with those, but especially the no chartreuse
>>
File: dinner.jpg (81KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
dinner.jpg
81KB, 528x960px
>>916073
you gotta start somewhere..
>>
>>916085
Fuck birds and turtles

>>916083
Junebug it is.
>>
>>916085
Fuck lol looks like he ate the whole hook
>>916083
heh
>>
File: IMG_0145.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0145.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>916127
Who was the cunt who never uses chartruese for bass? It's such a great color.
>>
>>916129
It was me kek.

I only ever used in heavy stained water.
>>
>>916136
You gotta get down on some chartruese pepper Zoom lizards. Those chartruese Gulp curly tail minnows are good too.
>>
File: IMG_0994.jpg (80KB, 640x584px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0994.jpg
80KB, 640x584px
Bout time for new bread
>>
File: 1482252850739.jpg (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1482252850739.jpg
101KB, 640x640px
>>916144
>>
>>914434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJTOlQ8jHhY
Lets keep this rollin
>>
>>916073
>only large mouth bass.
This spring swing black wooly buggsrs in there, size 4-8
Youll pull something
>>916146
Oops
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.