[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HomeGrowmen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 351
Thread images: 72

File: 20161113_151329.jpg (4MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20161113_151329.jpg
4MB, 2976x2976px
Old thread >>882219 (OP) #

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

http://pastebin.com/RDDAm3Jz

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
I know this is probably the wrong place to post this, but I need some help and I couldn't find a better board or thread to ask.
My bonsai has been losing a shitton of leaves and they have spots like pic related. What's going on there? I'm thinking about repotting it and checking the roots, but maybe anyone has any clue what's wrong with it?
>>
>>893709
What specie is it? Does it need to have its leaves sprayed?
>>
>>893730
Olive tree.
I'm not exactly sure about whether it needs to be sprayed or not, but I do it from time to time, because I read somewhere that it helps.
>>
>>893709
This is the right thread
>>
>>893755
Great. Perhaps I will get an answer then.

Does anyone know if root rot could be the cause of this?
Or is this definitely caused by insects/fungus
>>
>>893757
When did you last repot and clip the roots?
>>
>>893759
Never. I've only had it for around a year and a half. I'm debating doing it now, but if it's not the roots that are the problem, then repotting it could shock the plant, couldn't it?
>>
>>893763
You're supposed to repot bonsais with the purpose of trimming their roots

I'm not an expert on bonsais but there's a guy who posts here who's working on some bonsai so maybe he will give advice
>>
>>893763

I wouldn't repot unless you absolutely needed to until spring when the plant becomes more active and will be more receptive to changes in environment.

But I'm no expert, its just my rule of thumb for my house plants.
>>
>>893709
Looks like scale insects to me, I've seen them on citrus before. Look up scale insects on oranges, is it like that?

I've been thinking about neem oil to handle it.
>>
>>893709
Did u grow this from seed?
>>
If I put rooting hormone on seeds will that help them germinate?
>>
>>893837
Nah, sadly. Got it as a gift.
>>
File: feb_7 (3).jpg (286KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
feb_7 (3).jpg
286KB, 1080x720px
>>893838
in short no
>
try food grade peroxide or scarifying the seeds, also temperate plant seeds wont germinate unless they have been stratified (kept close to freezing temps or below for 3-4 months)
>>
>>893843
What about avocado pit or grapefruit seeds? They shouldn't need to be stratified right?
>>
>>893843
>stratified
Only stuff that I started from seed which allegedly needs it so far has been lavender
On my first try, I put the seeds in their potting soil, then 4 weeks in the fridge, then to room temp again - nothing sprouted at all even after about 4 more weeks
On my second try, I simply put the pot with the seeds+soil on top of a radiator (mostly 30°C) without further treatment, and they sprouted a lot after a few days
>>
File: IMG_3934.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3934.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Can anyone help me ID this plant?
>>
>>893844
grapefruit seed has a mucous like membrane you should remove (same with any citrus). avocado has a brown bark like outer layer you can scrape off, then place the 2/3 in water using the toothpick method. also both of these have a much higher germ ratio when kept "warm/incubated" i dont know the exact temp
>>
>>893852
So break the brown layer off the avocado pit?
>>
>>893848
i got mine started with boiling water, still a very low amount germed though less than 50% then i culled the rest because of how scraggly they were
>would not lavender again
>>
>>893650
Anyone have any experience growing Sphagnum moss? I'm trying to grow some indoors but I just lost my first test planting to cobweb mold.
>>
File: Avocado pits.jpg (74KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
Avocado pits.jpg
74KB, 800x532px
>>893855
you should be able to scrape or peel its fairly thin
>>
>>893862
Okay cool
>>
File: lavendel.jpg (2MB, 1200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
lavendel.jpg
2MB, 1200x2400px
>>893860
Yeah... in the end only 1 of the 6 seedlings I kept survived too for me (okay one was a stupidity kill while weeding so it could've been technically 2)
The one survivor (sprouted in February) did very slow the first 4 month, but eventually, after planting it in the garden, at least grew a little before the end of its growth season, gonna make it
>>
>>893865
i ended with 2 of 8, one of which grew to be roughly 8" x 10" and flowered as well, they shot up close to 2 feet !! the second was maybe 3". the big one i pruned heavily, little one is too small.
>i actually plan on leaving both there for the winter because i dont like them very much, if they die to bad
>>
>>893873
Luckily they're hardy enough here (8a), and from my limited experience as explained above they seem to be much more difficult to cultivate as pot plant than when planted in the ground (the first 4 months I had it potted it grew as much as the first week I had it planted)
But flowers in the first year seems indeed impressive to me, I hope mine will start next year
>>
Would it be unreasonable to grow a banana from seed?
>>
>>893908
What seed?
>>
Should I be supporting my tomatillo plants? They're about a 35 cm high and look like candelabrums. Hopefully they taste good though, i've got 8 plants but i've never tasted a tomatillo in my life...
>>
>>893926
from a banana
>>
>>893908
I remember having read recently that all "sweet" bananas were sterile (and reproduced by cuttings), I don't know if that's true

>>893709
>>893739
Then to begin with I would stop spraying the leaves, I'm not sure this is a helpful move
>>
File: Punis.jpg (15KB, 238x188px) Image search: [Google]
Punis.jpg
15KB, 238x188px
This might not lead anywhere but could somebody help me id these insects?
They look like pic related but flattened and seem to be eating my plants when not eating they just sit around with big fluid bubbles over their head.
>>
>>894004
Wat
>>
Hi I am seeking a bit of advice

My grandparents have a pecan tree that either doesn't really produce pecans anymore or it produces very few

Would it be worth it to graft some branches or will the new trees likely be low producers too?
>>
>>894043
To add a bit of info I know it's at least 10+ years old and the low production could very well be lack of care, as far as giving it nutrients and water, just don't want to waste my time come spring on a dud when I could buy something new

In a bit new to this but I want to eventually have about 1 acre filled with pecan trees and sell small trees and sell some pecans as well
>>
>>894043
What climate?
>>
File: IMG_3937.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3937.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>893851
No one have any assistance on ID of this plant?
>>
>>894043
You might get results just by adding fertilizer to the soil around the tree.
>>
Easiest and best way to grow Weed. In the future when I have my own homestead I want a plant.
>>
>>894268
>>>/b/
>>
Easiest and best way to grow avocados from pit?. In the future when I have my own homestead I want have 2 acres of guacamole
>>
File: 20161115_135048.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161115_135048.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Just did a bit of topping and pruning on my peppers.
>>
File: 20161115_135055.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161115_135055.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>894280
Still don't know why my phone rotates these pictures
>>
>>894283
>>894280
4chinz has been removing the whole EXIF of any uploaded pic for a couple years now as some sort of anti-doxx measure (why they don't simply remove only the geotag, if present, is beyond me)
Most phones and cams internally save the photos as landscape (with fixed bottom and top) and only writes rotation info into EXIF according to gyroscope
With the EXIF gone, it'll always revert back to the original landscape
So you have to manually open it in some program (which you should do to downsize a little anyway), I'm going with GIMP and also often quickly adjust a bit the levels here and there and maybe crop some too
>>
>>894289
oh well. i dont feel like sending the pictures to my computer to post them.
>>
>>894289
>GIMP
Is this an app?
>>
whats the MLG fertilizer schedule for pepper plants?
>>
>>894295
>>894294
Oh forgot I'm almost always posting from PC, but I'm sure there's basic image manipulation stuff for Droid or Apple as well
>>
>>894272
You fucking serious? Fuck you, cunt.
>>
File: download (10).jpg (1MB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
download (10).jpg
1MB, 1698x1131px
>>894300
>comes to /out/ for the first time
>sees gardening thread
>doesn't lurk the thread
>makes retarded post "hurrrr how can i haz weed guys?"
>gets mad when he's told to leave
>>
File: glowda.gif (4MB, 878x872px) Image search: [Google]
glowda.gif
4MB, 878x872px
>>894295
GIMP is a chillaxed photoshop knock off with animation and scripting procedures. Its does stuff like pic related and is a mediocre stalking tool for use on Facebook.

Image manipulation on cell phones is quite limited.
>>
>>894324
teach me how to do this and also to fb stock people
>>
>>894346
>peppers dont interest you
shit taste my man fuck off
>>
>>894357
To me capsaicin just has no taste, but pain (and it does literally couple with your pain receptors instead of taste buds), a single drop of tabasco can ruin a whole pizza for me (I can't eat leftovers from friends/family members that use it - meh at least it keeps me from getting fat I guess), also it's used in poor and/or hot/tropical country cuisines to mask low quality of ingredients, like spoilt meat, which further lowers its sympathy to me
>>
>>894363
You sound like a huge faggot
>>
>>894377
Eating for me is supposed to be an enjoyment, not some pain endurance jack-off competition tbqh
Might as well cut myself if I were after that
>>
>>894383
Nobody gives a fuck, cry more about capcaisin posting
>>
Will an olive pit from a jar germinate?
>>
File: IMG_20160820_145914.jpg (311KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160820_145914.jpg
311KB, 1200x800px
>>894410
Just explaining, after being asked, why these certain cultivars are of no special interest to me desu
And I don't hate the whole species either, C. annuum in the objectively superior, (i.e. block/bell) cultivars allow their actual taste to shine through undisturbedly thanks to it being contaminated by 0 SHU of toxin
Those I've been growing and enjoying this year, even started wintering a couple of 'em
>>
>>894428
Nice buttplug, I see it's battery operated.
>>
File: last_green_2016.jpg (1MB, 1440x3243px) Image search: [Google]
last_green_2016.jpg
1MB, 1440x3243px
>>894363
My god, man! I can do a shot of Tabasco sauce and the vinegar gets me long before the capsaicin does. Spicy food can literally cause your body to release endorphins and give you a buzz.
>>
>>894467
>endorphins and give you a buzz
I snack on my Serranos for this purpose
>>
>>894467
Meh, I guess it's different acceptance towards different kind of spiciness playing a role too. While I can somewhat enjoy the brief but intense heat of stuff like strong mustard, horseradish and wasabi (I like how it blows out my nose), capsaicin just isn't my thing, as it continually burns for up to an hour
>>
Why is Lebron such a bitch?
>>
>>894428
>bell pepper
>superior to anything
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. the taste of peppers is not completely masked by the heat, you're just a pussy my man. bell peppers dont even taste that good compared to jalapeno, anaheim or poblano none of which are hot at all.

bell peppers are literally the worst pepper
>>
any advice for starting a garden?

if the deer don't eat it

the slugs do

or the spider mites

or the pill bugs

or the powdery mold

and whatever is left the pesticide kills.

TFW I have less in my garden than I did eight months ago
>>
>>894722
Start plants indoors over winter and keep them in vegetative growth using a light that stays on 18 hours a day using a timer. Transfer them outside when it's spring to continue vegging throughout the year. You'll have massive plants by the end of the year. Get rosemary for the spider mites, and cinnamon for the mold. Fresh of course, you can simmer them together over a range until you have a pungent tea that you can let cool and put it into a spray bottle to mist the affected plants.
>>
Anybody here have a fig tree or an olive tree that produces fruit?
>>
From what I can tell, one of my tomato plants seems to have caught "early blight."
Leaves at the base are dead, leaves at the top are fine, leaves in the middle have light brown spots surrounded by yellow, no spores under the leaves.

Is this a guaranteed death sentence, or could I save it by pruning all the infected leaves?
I've got a tomato plant on the other side of my garden with literally a couple of spotted leaves, is it in the same boat, or can it be saved?
>>
>>894785
Prune affected areas asap
>>
File: leaves.jpg (3MB, 5046x2839px) Image search: [Google]
leaves.jpg
3MB, 5046x2839px
Does this look like critter damage or disease?

I don't care about the leaves' survival, since the sweet potatoes still have a lot of untouched leaves, but I've read that you're not supposed to compost diseased plants and it'd be a shame for all these vines to just go in the trash.

If it IS disease, is the whole vine useless, or can I just cut off the messed-up leaves and compost the rest?
>>
>>894792
Given the size of the holes it looks like insects imo but get other opiniod9
>>
>>893983

they are not completely sterile, but the seed are very very VERY rare, i remember watching a documentary about trying to undo the sterilisation of banana trees trying to procreate plants using those few seeds.
But most of the plant born from that seeds are also sterile
>>
File: Make Jeb Great Again.png (37KB, 1320x243px) Image search: [Google]
Make Jeb Great Again.png
37KB, 1320x243px
>>894279

Jeb? Is that you?
>>
>>894809
This has happened to garlic too

Most garlic plants are sterile because they've been so cross bred and cloned or something like that. Most garlic is grown from a single clove
>>
>>894768

I have some fig and some hundreds of olive trees, what do you need?
>>
>>894815
Seeds
Plz male to me. I'll trade serrano or lemon seeds
>>
>>894812
Hehe, I have around 300 true garlic seeds. With garlic, it supposedly produces true seed much more readily after the first generation that has been grown from true seed.

This has happened to a lot of plants that are regularly propagated via cloning over the centuries. A lot of potatoes don't produce seed either.
>>
>>894816
Mail
>>
>>894817
I've grown garlic from clove, it flowered, got seeds but none germinated :(
>>
>>894832
I'm at the point of worrying about planting them, but I haven't done it yet. There are two schools of thought on that:

Plant them in Jan or Feb in potting soil, and leave them out side.

Cold stratify them in the fridge for at least a month after a very mild bleach soak.

Everything that I've read says that getting 1st generation seed to germinate requires some coaxing, and even after that, it's only going to be about a 13% germination rate. Subsequent generations are supposed to do a lot better.

Without the bleach/cold or planting outside when cold, it is supposedly a 1% or less germination rate.
>>
>>894816
If you want fruit earlier and true to cultivar, then you should also take cuttings/grafts into consideration, especially if you want to do it (semi-)commercially, but if you're like me and wants to go from zero and see things grow, then seeds it is
>>
Can I discuss growing weed in this thread
>>
>>894734
Is leaving the lights on 24/7 a bad thing
>>
>>894858
Only if you want Hiro to sell you out to the gubbermint.
>>
>>894858
No but if nobody knows you're taking about weed you can get away with it
>>
>>894858
I'm not sure whether it's actually technically against the rules, but we don't want it here anyway lest the general become /420dankgrowinggeneral/ filled with people who won't shut up about pot.
>>
>>894854
I just like the hobby of growing potted fruit trees desu
>>
>>894859
Do they burn coal in your state?
>>
>>894876
Dunno about how olives compare, but at least figs (and other Meds such as pomegranates) do much much better with a fixed spot in the garden than potted, even if the pots are generous, I guess it's because them coming from climates with long dry periods, they'll root deep and a lot compared to the above-ground plant parts
Figs and pomegranates I started simultaneously are easily 4-5x bigger than those kept in pots
>>
>>894858
I mean you can, but it's kind of stupid to talk about it here as opposed to some place like 420chan's /crops/. Most people here don't grow weed.
>>
>>894816

Sorry mate, i live in yurope :^(
Btw figs from seeds is difficult, try to get some fresh branch and pot it

About the olives, try to get both seeds or some little plant already grafted, but BEFORE anything else choose what kind of olives you want.
Just in my fields i have at least 5 different types of olives, you have to consider pro and con (like when they are "ripe", etc)
>>
>>894858

Fuck off we are full
>>
>>894877
Idk lmaooo
>>
>>894881

Olives can make wonderful bonsai, but potted they suck at everything else

Same with figs, figs particularly like to grow in spots with water nearby 24/7
>>
>>894881
I live in Canada
>>
>>894890
>figs from seeds is difficult
Well at least mine sprouted all over the place (collected from a fruit that grew in Dalmatia/Croatia last summer holiday), while my cutting from a neighbour's garden, after initially rooting (which btw took over 2 months in water glass), eventually died (I blame fungus gnats)
>>894900
Well the figs at least should easily work in coastal BC, maybe Southern Ontario as well, otherwise you can bubble wrap them or something - or you could just try both (pot and garden) to have backups
>>
>>894908
>maybe Southern Ontario
Last winter we had some -30°C nights
Figs won't do okay here outside kek
>>
File: IMG_20161116_181555.jpg (320KB, 718x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161116_181555.jpg
320KB, 718x1280px
Anyone here knows what kind of tree is this?
Southern europe, It's used as a decoration at the sides of the roads
>>
>>894908
>otherwise you can bubble wrap them or something - or you could just try both (pot and garden) to have backups
I need seeds first
I looked on Amazon and most seeds have bad reviews for not terminating
>>
>>894909
Oh, thought the lakes there moderate shit a little + considering it is so southern... I live >300km bird line away from the Atlantic AND far more north (50°N), guess I'm underestimating the Gulf Stream a bit here again
Anyways, recently found a pic (related) again I apparently took 3 years ago from the same fig shrub growing in the garden of a nearby restaurant, (I guess I didn't know back then what it was but thought it looked nice - exact same shrub looks like >>891473 now), and it being already like that back then, it must have survived the -16°C and 2 weeks of uninterrupted frost we had here in Feb 2012 unscathed

>>894911
Are there some farmers' markets or something that sell fresh fruit? If yes these should work unless they're seedless varieties. Dunno if dried ones from the store work
>>
File: 2013-09-08_17-15-17.jpg (713KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-08_17-15-17.jpg
713KB, 1200x800px
>>894917
...and of course forgot pic
>>
File: great-lake-ice.jpg (50KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
great-lake-ice.jpg
50KB, 650x366px
>>894917
Europe is so much warmer despite being further North because of the gulf stream
The great lakes may act as climate regulators but they're not big enough to retain heat to keep temperate climate all winter
Pic related
>>
File: FB_IMG_1477414238430.jpg (15KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1477414238430.jpg
15KB, 604x453px
>>894917
This is on lake Huron
>>
how long until my pepper plants reach about 1 ft in height? theyre about 4 inches after 2 months
>>
>>894859
Yes, it's a bad thing.
>>
>>895198
Can't really remember, I guess 3-4 months with good light and temp
>>
>>894164
Zone 8 Louisiana we have a pecan festival annually in the area and few pecan farms
>>
>>895251
Maybe I'll try and acquire some raw pecans and hopefully germinate some
>>
What causes manlet syndrome in plants?
My bell peppers plants are green and look fine, except they're a foot tall or less.

I don't think they could still be growing because one of them's started to flower and another already has what looks like small bell peppers growing on it.
>>
>>895421
Because bell peppers are literally the worst pepper.

Also flowering isn't indicative of it being done growing
>>
File: leaf.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
leaf.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Anyone know what this is?
Some of my potted delicata squash plant's leaves have started to darken like this.
It's not borers, I checked.
>>
>>895425
overwatering
>>
>>895427
Thanks.
>>
>>895431
unfortunately I think underwatering has the same symptoms

how often do you water?
>>
>>895434
Once a day, same as all my other plants.

Should I try waiting for the top soil to completely dry out before watering?
>>
>>895437
Yes
>>
File: worm.jpg (192KB, 924x659px) Image search: [Google]
worm.jpg
192KB, 924x659px
I found dozens of these inside a tomato, having eaten a hole through from the outside. What are they?

Google suggests that worms inside a tomato would be a tomato fruitworm, but I looked up pictures of those and they look nothing like this.
>>
>>895198
Something is stunting them. They should be a foot by now.
>>
>>895421
Lack of sunlight. Most peppers like full sun. Or they're swamped with weeds.
>>
>>895520
Fruit fly larvae.
>>
>>895550
>Or they're swamped with weeds
I don't know about weeds in particular, but the ground around them was thick with grass.

Is there something special about weeds that makes them more deadly? Should I cut the grass away from the plants anyway?
>>
>>895564
It could be the grass. It's competition with any other plant, really. I would expect that grass roots would really compete with pepper roots, considering that the top 12" of soil are the most important part of a pepper's root zone. They do send roots down deeper, but for young pepper plants, competition in that zone can be a killer. Once big (many of my plants were 2 1/2 feet this year,) they are much less susceptible to this. Bermuda and bind weed can still fuck them up though.
>>
>>895421
Is there a walnut tree growing anywhere nearby? Those produce juglone which hampers the growth of most other plants in the vicinity, easily up to 15-20m away from the stem from my experience
>>
Has anybody here successfully germinated a pornography seed?
>>
>>895675
Pomegranate.
>>
>>895203
Why?
>>
>>895702

i would guess stress, but wait the other anon
>>
File: 20161117_182401-1.jpg (865KB, 1811x2761px) Image search: [Google]
20161117_182401-1.jpg
865KB, 1811x2761px
Why is there a yellow spot on my lemon tree? The new leaf is yellowish too

The soil is still damp but i haven't watered it in a few days
>>
>>895549
I haven't been over watering AFAIK, fertilizing with Miracle-Gro for a few weeks now, pruning and topping appropriately.

What could be wrong
>>
>>895705
Let it dry. Probably temporary iron lack due to the soil being over-watered
>>
File: silencio.jpg (63KB, 766x666px) Image search: [Google]
silencio.jpg
63KB, 766x666px
>>895675
lol
>>
>>895674
Nope, although that's really neat.
>>
File: 2016-01-01_15-39-54.jpg (472KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-01_15-39-54.jpg
472KB, 1200x800px
>>895675
>>895679
In case that was a genuine autocorrect fuckup: Here's one of muh seedlings now: >>>/an/2264057
And pic when they had sprouted
>>
>>896005
Nice, i want to try this son
>>
>>896005
How long did it take?
>>
What is the absolute fastest-growing fruit-producing tree? Like, from seed to first fruit.
>>
>>896075
Strawberries
>>
>>896075

>not trees exactly
papaya plant 6-8months (dwarf)
bananas plant 17months roughly (dwarf)
>
olives and figs usually within 2-3 years (dwarf)
>
most citrus 3-8 years
>
avocado 5-8+ years sometimes 15
>>
>>896111
We've already determined you can't banana from seed
>>
I WANT OLIVE AND FIG SEEDS
PLEASE MAIL 2 ME
I WILL PAY
>>
>>896117
>>896117
what is ebay
>>
>>896124
They don't exist senpai
>>
File: 14794838457381401614929.jpg (4MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
14794838457381401614929.jpg
4MB, 2976x2976px
My pineapple is 4 years old now. It got super fucked outside this summer from animals or insects and lost a bunch of leaves.

How can i promote it to flower? I read it should take less than 3years

Also I live in Canada around 45°N so our days are very short now
>>
File: 20161118_113103.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161118_113103.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Some have begun flowering but growth has slowed down quite a lot. I guess as long as they catch up before spring they'll be fine.
>>
File: insufficient evidence.png (33KB, 899x547px) Image search: [Google]
insufficient evidence.png
33KB, 899x547px
>>896111

> olives
> 2 years
>>
File: 2016-11-18_18-56-45.jpg (334KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-18_18-56-45.jpg
334KB, 1200x800px
>>896030
>>896024
It had been my third try actually (previously tried back in May and Aug. 15 with no luck)
IIRC I buried the seeds around Dec. 24, and had the first ones sprout on Jan 1
Used my aforementioned method of planter wrapped in plastic bag on radiator (constant ca. 30°C) at southern window, and only then did it work (my previous 2 tries were room temp), I also might have scarcified the seeds a little beforehand (scratching against some sandpaper)
Keep in mind that during that time of the year we had only a bit more than 8 hours daily sunlight (and out of that 90% cloudy), so maybe it works even faster in more Southern places and/or different seasons

Pic related for illustration, just imagine there to be soil and seeds in it (currently not germinating anything)
>>
File: oliifs.jpg (252KB, 810x978px) Image search: [Google]
oliifs.jpg
252KB, 810x978px
>>896158
self-fertile dwarf varieties
>>
>>896145
You let them flower when they're that tiny? I had a feeling it slow them down a lot when they are only this height
>>
>>896178
no, i've been picking the flowers off. i just meant they started flowering like this week.
>>
File: 2016-11-18_20-51-56.jpg (519KB, 902x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-18_20-51-56.jpg
519KB, 902x1200px
Update on >>892340
As it was quite chilly last week (light frosts of down to -2C at night), I decided to first plant the bulb in a pot as to not shock it, and placed it on the cool south window of the kitchen (about 16C there)
And hory sheet is that thing fast despite the short days. The shoot has already come through the soil top (about 10cm to the bulb) and it clearly has rooted too
Forecasts have no frosts for the next at least 10 days and there's gonna be some highs of around +12, so can I still replant it outside, simply leaving the pot soil clump intact by carefully removing and then placing it in a hole? Or better to leave it in until spring (and repot bigger if necessary)?
>>
>>896224
just try and grow it in a pot senpai. Try to get it to flower, and see if the seeds are true
>>
>>896261
Don't they produce bulbils only instead of flowers, or the chance of them doing the latter is extremely low?
Also I'm a bit concerned about insects and other pests if I leave it inside (that's a general concern for warm wintering house plants which get a lot of stress during that period and thus are more vulnerable)
>>
>>896265
garlic will flower, but the chance of producing viable seeds is low
>>
>>896266
Is it an unisex flower? If not than it's not interesting anyway since I only have that one plant right now
>>
>>896280
Yeah unisex
>>
File: 1479508033357.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1479508033357.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
What plant is this?
>>
File: 1479508534119.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1479508534119.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
Yacon
>>
>>896328
Tomato
>>
File: 1479508228122.jpg (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1479508228122.jpg
4MB, 2560x1440px
Marigolds and garlic chives.
>>
File: tomaten1617.jpg (2MB, 1800x2400px) Image search: [Google]
tomaten1617.jpg
2MB, 1800x2400px
Anyone remember my germination test from the self-saved tomato seeds?
And how I wanted to keep one of the plants over winter and toss the other 4?
Yeah, you probably know how that ended up...
>tossing perfectly healthy plants
I ended up replanting all 5 of them to a plastic planter, placed on a SW window with alu foil coated carboard behind for dat extra light, and they've been doing remarkably well so far
Problem is the absolute earliest I can plant them into the garden is about beginning of April... so is there a way to keep them stunted/growing very slowly without killing them? I thought about keeping them in their small planter (rootbound) and not fertilising, could this do the trick?

I did take one out today and replanted it into a bigger pot and am about to place it under grow light for about 16h/day in a somewhat warmer environment (20°C), hoping it'll flower soon and maybe net me a small harvest for Christmas

It was seeds from those very rich-carrying "cherry-style" volunteers that popped up in the garden late May and did remarkably well, with purplish leaves/stems and the fruit in green stage having those gooseberry-like darker "veins", also with a high tendency to grow suckers, so I estimate a significant admixture of S. pimpinellifolium...
>>
File: 2016-11-19_00-10-38.jpg (363KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-19_00-10-38.jpg
363KB, 1200x800px
>>896336
...also I notice that the seedlings too, at this stage already, are starting to develop suckers.
So would pruning off the main stem, and let a sucker become the new "main stem", also be an option to slow them down to get them over winter?
>>
>>896337
I would just cut the sucker, and regularly cut above the last wanted leaf. I would be more worried about rootbound though
>>
>>896376
Well that's what I'd do if it were February/March now, unfortunately it's not yet
>>
>>896330
Danke
>>
whats every one growing this winter?? (summer maybe) pumpkin guy still around ?

just ordered a bunch of dwarf seeds after seeing the posts above: olives, pomegranate, banana, pomelo or pumello and fuck spell check, they should be in next week
>>
>>896411
>my current / last year stuff :
rosemary
avocado
lemon
mustard habanero -- this one might die

>other
japanese pine (got in a big mix pack labelled "bonsai seeds" everything either didnt sprout or died soon after)
ponytail palm
monkey puzzle tree /Chilean pine
>>
>>896411
Lemon, Serrano pepper, trying to germinate grapefruit

OP pic is my lemon
>>
>>896411
I'm going to start the pumpkin soon
>>
>>896381
If you're worried about root-bound, could you not put it in a slightly bigger pot?
>>
How do I into bees?

My family and I live on a half acre kinda between innacountry and innacity in California and mom wants bee boxes. I have been tasked with collecting info about bee colonies this weekend then buying supplies and getting started by monday.
>>
>>896411
Where did u order those from? Please share
>>
>>896491
Idk shit about bees but good luck and please share info u learn
>>
File: Plants.jpg (70KB, 960x562px) Image search: [Google]
Plants.jpg
70KB, 960x562px
>>896415
First time doing anything like this.
Anaheim, 2 plants (Capsicum annuum)
Habanero, ate one and saved a few seeds.
Jalapeno Early, hasn't germinated yet
Black Pearl, 2 plants (Capsicum annuum)

Thought I'd ask while I'm still at it. One of my anaheim plants has grown way taller than my other ones, even the other anaheim plant, pic related, yet I haven't treated it any differently. Habanero is the tiny one that's growing many sets of leaves but no height or size. Anyone got any idea why the growth rate could be so crazy different?
>>
>>896431
Oh you misunderstood. I *want* to keep them rootbound temporarily so they don't grow too fast (I don't have the space indoors for that), think Bonsai style sort of
>>
>>896411

Just got some mint in the mail. Also going to try my hand at sprouting some things like mung beans and wheat berries. I wish I got more sunlight in this dungeon so I could do some more adventurous stuff.
>>
>>896411
Not much this time
A bit corn salad outside, as well as onions
Indoors I'm just trying to get some tomato stalks to root (volunteer beefsteaks that popped up too late and didn't ripen so I couldn't save seeds), also trying for the 3rd or so time to get olive cuttings to root and have some basil on the window sill
>>
File: 1479572234760-1124670507.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1479572234760-1124670507.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>896411
>>
>>896613
If they've been in the same conditions with light, soil, etc... then it is simple. Ever met a manlet? Ever met somebody who is 6'8"? There is natural variation in the world. It takes enormous effort to get the super uniform plants that you see in a lot of the major crops today.

But it's also possible that this is an artifact of the fact that it seems to be the closest to the window. I don't know what the light coming in that window looks like throughout the day though.
>>
I'm going to start my pumpkin soon
I don't have a good size pot for it tho
>>
>>896764
Oh no, I just put them that way to get an alright picture, I have them all the same distance to light otherwise.

Happy to hear I've got the master race Anaheim plant though. I'll give the manlet away as a 'nice' gift to someone when it's a bit bigger.

When it comes to repotting, when is a good time to do it? When the plant growth starts to slow down?
>>
>>894792
Look underneath your leaves. I bet you got squash bugs.
>>
>>896130
Get it into a bigger pot and watch it explode with growth.
>>
>>896620
Aaah ok. So you think that topping them all the time will damage them? I'm not sure I'm understanding anymore
>>
>>896853
If you wait until the container stops growth, you're probably waiting until the roots are bound. I'd re-pot sooner rather than later. It's always easy to forget that there is at least as much going on below the ground as there is above, but what's going on below the ground is just as important.
>>
>>896864
I don't think that's the problem, the root ball on it isn't very big to begin with
>>
>>896875
Cheers, didn't actually know that 'rootbound' was a thing until now. I'm repotting the big guy tomorrow.

While I'm at it. Towards the end of the day the leaves on the big one start to droop a lot, why does that happen? Is it sated with sunlight and needs a break or is there something else going on?
>>
>>896918
It could be under/over watering, but some peppers just do that. I grow a lot of NuMex stuff, and if they aren't wilting a bit before 11AM in the middle of the summer, they don't need water. I can go a week, water them one morning, and they'll still be drooping that afternoon. Anaheim peppers should be fairly similar to the NuMex cultivars.
>>
>>896948
Alright, thanks! I actually repotted it a few minutes ago, and the roots were starting to do the root bound thing. This is my first time growing anything, so I'm quite happy.
>>
at what growth/height should i repot my pepper plants into larger cups? theyre in standard size solo cups at the moment. and about 4-6 inches tall.
>>
>>896973

General rule of thumb is when it is as tall as the current pot, it's OK to repot. The rule is fine for peppers.

It's more relevent for small pots and seedlings, and there are plenty of exceptions... like plants that form a carpet and never get tall, but run out of horizontal space.

For peppers and tomatoes I use that rule roughly until they get in final reasonable pot sizes or get put in the ground.
>>
>>896703
Are those on the top right araucaria plants?
>>
>>896981
hopefully i can fit all of my plants in my tent when i go up a size
>>
>>897005
yeah bad angle though. they are about 2-3 inch
>>
I got an olive seed today
>>
File: 1479508793031.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1479508793031.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>896329
Blackberry canes and marigolds going to seed.
>>
File: 1479620211040.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1479620211040.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Frost tonite.
Avocado, 3 lemon plants& pepper
>>
>>896075
apples and pears.
>>
is Neem Oil a meme?
>>
>>897062
no
>>
>>897028
From where?
>>
>>897182
a tomato
>>
File: 20161120_151604.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161120_151604.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Do crinkly leaves generally indicate any sort of problem or is it nothing?
>>
File: 20161120_152309.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161120_152309.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Newest addition: Carolina reaper
>>
>>897337
How did you germinate the reaper? I've had no success so far with 6 separate seeds.
>>
>>897376
i got it from a guy my dad knows at work. didn't germinate it myself.
>>
>>897333
Generally calcium problem due to irregular watering

Also, your reaper soil mix seems to be rather poor and not well decomposed enough
>>
>>897415
Didn't mix it myself. I'll probably repot it later
>>
If I plant a grapefruit seed from a fruit i got at the store, what are the chances it germinates?
>>
>>897447
In my experience (with lemon and mandarin orange), Citrus take extremely long (2 months) to germinate even at high temperature, and the germination rate isn't that great (10-20%)
>>
>>897455
I did it with a lemon in less than a month, 4 of 5 germinated

I planted 5 grapefruit seeds 3 weeks ago and still nothing. Just wondering if maybe cultivated grapefruit are steril
>>
>>897376
The super hots are supposed to be really difficult to germinate. I'm just guessing here, but their seeds might be a throwback to their primordial past, before people started domesticating them. You can still get seeds for peppers' wild ancestor, Chiltepine. You need to scratch the seed with those, because in nature, they get spread by birds, and when a bird eats them, it roughs the surface up a bit.

FYI, birds can't feel the burn from peppers.
>>
>>897495
Oh yeah, I let them sit in a calcium nitrate bath for 18 hours before planting and the moruga scorpion I can see small white ridges starting to pop up and it hasn't even been a week yet, hoping the bhutlah brown and reaper are going to follow suit. This is my second attempt at getting reaper seeds to germinate.
>>
File: no sense.png (328KB, 337x498px) Image search: [Google]
no sense.png
328KB, 337x498px
>>895437
>Once a day
>>
>>897608
How often should I water then? Once every other day?
>>
>>897628
Water when the soils dry. Stick a finger in there. If it comes out wet, wait another day.
>>
>>895437
yeah you should wait for it to dry out. The problem with overwatering is watering too frequently so the soil never dries out and the roots rot. better to wait until it's dry, then soak it completely and repeat.
>>
File: 20161120_121547.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161120_121547.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Starting my winter garden . Killed off all the peppers i brought in except for this one. And it barely made it.
>>
Hi all,

Fall planted some garlic outside in zone 6b recently. It's been quite warm out and nearly all of my garlic has sent up shoots ~1 to 3" tall. It's below freezing out right now but the ground is looking really dry and I'm leaving for a week to go on vacation.

Should I water my garlic or no? I'm worried about the water freezing and wrecking the roots.

Do I need to water my garlic in general over the rest of the winter?

Thanks
>>
What's a good household item I can mix into my water to boost calcium For my plants
>>
File: download (3).png (213KB, 350x535px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).png
213KB, 350x535px
>>897812
Tums?
>>
Considering buying a little heating pad to help my citrus seeds germinate and help the seedlings through the winter

Is this a good idea?
>>
>>898051
what's your zone? can you even grow citrus?
>>
>>898119
Inside i can
>>
>>894734
What's the ratio of rosemary : cinnamon : water for this anti-bullshit elixir?
>>
>>894877
where im from coal burner means something else lmfao
>>
Rats have severed my bean vine nearly to the base, it was about five feet long.
But I've read that you can root vine cuttings in the same way as tomato cuttings.

Would it be better for the cutting's health to try and root the whole thing, or should I cut the severed portion into many smaller cuttings and root those?
Also is it more likely to grow roots if kept in wet soil, or pure water?
>>
>>894734
>>898276
last December i had fungus gnats, later i had spider mites around February. they seem to kick up in cycles based on the humidity/light in your home.

this year i have better draining pots/soil and have controlled the gnats (so far i believe there are none) by using small amounts of peroxide spraying the soil, and spraying the plant itself with dish soap and water

that being said... after moving my plants indoor i started getting a rash or very itchy outbreak on my fingers sometimes arms, finally figured out these little fucks are called THRIPS
>so what kills them ?
>>
>>898320
Had them gnats too last year, got a hold of them eventually with Bti emulsion (50ml vial for €7 IIRC, but you only need less than one drop for a 5l watering can)
>>
>>897628
Apparently watering too much encourages shallow roots on plants and they become too reliant on your watering.
>>
I think my grapefruit seed germinated. I peeled the husk off it now there's a little white nub poking out. We will see tomorrow if t actually germinated.
It only took 2 weeks, but I left the pot right on a radiator to keep warm.
>>
>>898542
you would be better off just buying a starter plug from ebay for like 5 bucks. that's how I got my key lime starter plug, its about 6 inches tall now.
>>
>>898549
where's the fun in that?
>>
>>898320
A fan constantly blowing across the plants is what I use to get rid of nats.
>>
File: Oil_barrel.jpg (241KB, 283x424px) Image search: [Google]
Oil_barrel.jpg
241KB, 283x424px
I need some information on composting and figure this would be best place.

My grandfather makes "compost" and likes to fertilize earth around the house with it.
Problem is his makes his compost by throwing organic waste (mostly grass after mowing) into a barrel like on pic and leaving it forever. End result is literal barrel of shit, mostly liquid substance that smells worse than septic tank. He pours it into watering can and water everything around the house making everything smell like shit and annoying living with him.

My question is does this actually do anything good for the plants?

I tried to look some information on composting and found that you're suppose to keep balance between moisture and air in compost - meaning turning it once in a while, so the air can get inside of it, not making "soup" in a barrel.
>>
File: thrips.jpg (14KB, 238x224px) Image search: [Google]
thrips.jpg
14KB, 238x224px
>>898343
>>898739
>thrips
no these little shits dont hurt the plants, THEY ARE BITING ME !!
>>
File: photo_2016-11-23_18-38-13.jpg (90KB, 540x748px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-11-23_18-38-13.jpg
90KB, 540x748px
Does this work with sweet potatoes? Does it work at all?
>>
>>898812
It seems to be more or less compost tea, which is just like fertilizer.
I would be more worried about what the barrel did contain before compost
>>
>>898861
in theory, yes. The results will likely be nowhere near 100 pounds, but you'll have a damn large amount of potatoes.
>>
>>898812
I dont think he got it right. Compost tea is a great thing but you don't want the anaerobe bacteria to win - You use it straight after you mixed it or you pump air in it.
>>
>>897821
i'll give it a try i guess
>>
>>898861
it'll work with stem tubers like potatoes. sweet potatoes are root tubers
>>
>>898913
How do you know it's a calcium deficiency?
>>
>>898919
Asked here and read around about what crinkly leaves indicated and it seems to be calcium related
>>
>>896411
>whats every one growing this winter??
Rhubarb chard, chives, cilantro, assorted peppers, onions, carrots, jicama, and potatoes. Only the potatoes, carrots, and chard really like this time of year, but the rest will do okay and will perk up around February for a more bountiful spring harvest. I tried this with some dill, though, and it died like a bitch.
>>
>>898870
>I would be more worried about what the barrel did contain before compost
That's really old barrel, whatever was in it was washed years or maybe even decades ago.

>>898895
>Compost tea is a great thing but you don't want the anaerobe bacteria to win

That's what I'm thinking is happening, at least judging by the smell. I'm pretty sure he doesn't use it straight away, it just sits there untile he decides to use it.
Honestly I don't even care if he kills every plant with it, I just don't want intense smell of shit everytime he pours it.
Do you think is there anyway to make it smell less? Improve it somehow?
>>
>>898937
Stop going to your grandpa's house
Old people are impossible to change
>>
>>893709
Water droplets can act like tiny magnifying glasses and fry spots on sensitive leaves if they're under strong light and it's not warm enough for the droplets to evaporate quickly enough.

A really quick spritz with a mister once every couple weeks is enough. Olives are native to dry environments.

It could also be root-related. Have you tended to the roots lately?
>>
>>898937
Punch small holes in the barrel. Not as good as turning it and aerating it properly, but a lot easier as a continuous solution to someone else's setup.
>>
>>893851
>>894176
How about a little background, Sherlock.

Where do you live? Do you know if it's common or local? Where did you get the plant?
>>
>>894279
I hope you have 20 years, because that's how long it takes an avocado tree to mature. They are water hogs, too.

>>894268
There's a reason it's called 'weed'. Of course, if you want it to produce the THC you want, you need to control it a bit. You can 'top' a plant, but you need to know what you're doing, so it's not for total newbs. Some people
>>
>>894493
I'm the exact opposite. I love chilli, but am not a mustard/wasabi/horseradish fan. It's the wrong kind of 'burn' for me.

>>894568
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
>>
>>894859
Yes. Plants ideally need a "sleep" time of darkness.

>>894734
I use a 500ml spray bottle with a drop or two of mild 'organic' liquid soap, plus a drop of cinnamon oil and a drop of clove oil. Shake 'er up, spray 'em up, and you want have mite or insect problems. Warnings: mites may recolonize once the essential oils have disappeared; too much essential oil can 'burn' the leaves (1-2 DROPS ARE ENOUGH); bees also will stay away as long as the essential oils are still strong enough.
>>
>>894888
This. Just go to 420chan, much more extensive help.

>>894900
My dad has a couple fig trees he keeps outside over winter. You do need to insulate them though. My dad very loosely wraps the main branches in burlap, pushes the tree over as far down as it'll go, then covers the whole thing in a plastic sheet weighted down with some stones.

It's also advisable to put it close to a sunny south-facing wall, to let it get as much residual heat as you can and shelter it from too much wind. We're in Toronto. It's survived the last 6 winters.
>>
>>898976
That's good to know, maybe I'll try it outside then
>>
>>898959
>I hope you have 20 years,
I just want a house plant desu
>>
File: IMG_4635.jpg (132KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4635.jpg
132KB, 620x465px
Hey /out/, never been here before, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong but I don't know where else to ask. I'm visiting the Tucson area, and I've heard these cactus fruits are edible. Does anyone know anything about eating these things?
>>
>>898997
Cut the prickly bits off before eating. But other than that, this is more of a /ck/ question on how you would make them yummy. Try eating them plain and raw first, just a nibble, and if see how you'd prepare them based on that. Plain and raw may actually be the best way, I don't know. In general though, you can eat anything that looks like it might be edible, and if it's not you'll be able to tell because it will taste all nasty and bitter.
>>
>>898997
I don't know about that particular cactus mainly because the prickly pears that grow around my area are red, but if they are anything like the ones here, take a torch to their skin before you handle them. They have small spines on the outside that hurt like fuck and are hard to see, much less pull out. You want to burn those off.
>>
>>898997

Most cacti are good. Even eating the green parts. Just skin off the spines. Avoid euphorbias- they tend to have milky sap when you cut them and are not good eating but can look like cacti.
>>
File: 2016-11-24_02-00-55.jpg (867KB, 1735x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-24_02-00-55.jpg
867KB, 1735x800px
>>898960
>some sensible atiitudes
This board ain't completely /b/-ified yet, yay

Anyway, at this opportunity, let me report a very probable fail
If anyone remembers, I dug out a few bell peppers from the garden about 2 weeks ago, just before the first slight frost (-2°C) hit and put them in what I'd say are very generous pots, trying to winter them and get a much better harvest in the second year
The one I'm trying to winter semi-warm (in the house, mostly unheated room at a SW window, ~17°C) has dropped all its leaves, and the two I placed on the north window in the cool, but frost-free garage look very sad too (mid and right in the pic)
I'll give them some time, but if none of them shows any new growth by around March or so, I'll have to consider the experiment a fail
>>
>>899037

You should prune those back a lot.

Amsller peppers like habanero do good overwinter. I keep them in mostly shitty dark conditions 70f and they survive winter fine. Bells can suck a nut and I have respect for people who can get anything useful from big bell plants.
>>
>>899042
>Amsller

hmm that's a new word... meant 'smaller'
>>
Can confirm, my grapefruit germinated. It should sprout soon.
>>
>>899042
I actually did prune them back significantly, cultivar is "California Wonder"
>>
>>899050

Oh good. Yeah, I can't really responsibly comment more on bells (I don't like them gosh darnit.) I can say some people seem to try to keep them producing overwinter, and others just try to keep them alive and able to recover in the spring, and I'm a fan of option 2, because I can shove them in a tiny space and not fuss with lighting and just water to keep them alive. Our winters here are shorter.... Nov-Feb-ish.
>>
Can I grow some bud if I just throw some seeds into a bucket and take it outside for sunlight and feed it some organic stuff?
>>
>>899089
Sure.
>>
File: 20161010_150551_HDR-1.jpg (1MB, 1866x2680px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_150551_HDR-1.jpg
1MB, 1866x2680px
>>899042
My serranos even flower in the winter
This is my second winter with this Serrano
>>
File: 20161124_153326.jpg (3MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161124_153326.jpg
3MB, 2160x2160px
Amateur here, why is my chamomile plant eating shit right now? It's had some brown tipped leaves since transplanting as a seedling but in the past couple of weeks it's just gone to hell and I think it may be bolting.
Using Searles potting mix.
I water once a day and am wondering if I've overwatered it. This week I've given it less water to see what it does.
>>
>>899135
And now it's a horizontal photo
>another thing wrong with this plant
>>
>>899037
Some plants just hate being transplanted and the shock is too much.

I had a few pepper plants this summer. I started them all in generous pots, but only one made it to fruit, and in the end it only produced two small peppers about as long as my hand (photos on my phone, but too lazy to transfer right now). It was a sweet variety, but long and cylindrical, not the standard bell pepper. I got the seeds here: http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/

I also planted corn (strawberry/dwarf). They just started to produce tiny little ears, but then stunted. I had them in a very large pot, but I think once they got to a certain size, they just couldn't share rootspace anymore and stopped growing. By then it was late September and it was obvious they'd never produce. Corn on a balcony? Scoff, but at least I tried!

I also had a few tomato plants (black and yellow cherry varieties) and they produced buttloads as usual. Sunflowers were also fairly successful, producing edible and tasty (if small) seeds, but I was too lazy to hull them all, so let the birds have 'em.

I also planted some cotton seeds, but rather late in the season (around late July -- I stole them from a cotton plant in a botanical garden). They sprouted easily and grew nice and healthy, and were just starting to grow little cotton buds around mid October. Too cold outside, so I brought 'em in and that was their end. But I'll try again in spring and am fairly confident they'll grow with enough time.

I think the main problem is all this is done on a balcony. It's fairly large but faces slightly north-west, so not ideal. It's enough light and sun for tomatoes, and flowers or herbs, but not much else veggie-wise.
>>
>>899037
Sorry, in that long recount... I forgot to actually say, I don't think there's anything you can do now. They're toast. Peppers love sun and being outside, and the movement shock has already done them in methinks. The leaves drying out and falling off looks very familiar, lol.

But yea, keep 'em warm and water them lightly to keep it from totally drying out and you may have some luck in spring. Those stems look thick and sturdy. You might want to trim/prune some of the branches, but I'd research that a bit first. Peppers are actually perennials, so it's possible they'll bounce back.
>>
>>899135
Is there a hole at the bottom of the pot so water can get out? Overwatering is a frequent problem for potted plants (and of course underwatering, but usually you know if you haven't been watering something). Let it go longer between watering, or only use half as much water. You may be 'drowning' the roots.
>>
File: plants2.jpg (52KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
plants2.jpg
52KB, 960x540px
The master race Capsicum annuum has real droopy leaves, but a far deeper green color than the manlet (pictured on the left). Is there anything in particular that can make the leaves of the plant droop? Also, tiny habanero isn't growing much. It's got a few set of leaves but it's short in stature and hasn't been growing at all the past week and I've noticed one of the leafs is curling slightly, any idea what that could be?

Other two on the right are just ornamental so I don't care much how they grow, though I thought I'd include them as well. Jalapeno has germinated, though 2 seeds germinated in the exact same location. Do I pull one out of the dirt or do I let them both grow right next to each other? I'm talking less than 5mm.
>>
>>899199
Can I still save it? Does bolting matter for a plant if I'm only using the flowers (for tea)?
I remember there being a hole on the bottom but on second thought the pot's base probably blocks it, might have to put it up on some slats.
>>
Could a plant sprout in the dark?
>>
>>899192
Even dwarf corn should have a pretty big root system. You're most likely right about the rootspace.

Ditto on the transplant shock. I dug up a couple of my pepper plants this fall and potted them and moved them inside. I think they'll last until next year, but they aren't happy.
>>
>>899206
They look fine to me. Don't worry unless the droop starts to get a lot worse.
>>
>>899239

Yes, definitely. There are some that optimally have light on them which germinate near or on top of the soil surface.

The issue with sprouting in the dark (radishes are a great extreme example) is that they grow really leggy seeking light. This depends on the growth pattern/speed of each individual plant. I sprout all mine on a light table so they don't get leggy. Some commercial growing instructions say to sprout in the dark and I rarely find that to be good advice.

>>899110
No doubt you can get production indoors in winter! I just cluster them together in a cool room to overwinter and water occasionally as needed. It's just a different technique that works well for me because i don't really want to fuss with them at all. They get pruned and produce again in the spring after some new growth. I'm a fan of "whatever works for you."
>>
>>898962
I've had them growing under 24 7 lights and they seem fine. Also saw one experiment where one plant got 16 hours and the other got 24 hours of lights and the 24 hour was growing faster
>>
>>899194
>>899192
I went ahead and pruned some more (I had planned to do so anyway in case they'll look like shit, what they eventually did), and at least all the cuts were still green and moist, with strong bell pepper smell
I know they're not supposed to drop leave or go dormant normally as a tropical, but then again, 2 years ago, I kinda forgot my potted Lantana camara outside until Christmas (luckily hadn't frozen once until after that, but cool temps of around +5 for weeks) and it also dropped all the leaves, but upon putting it inside and pruning, new foliage started showing up by the end of the following January, so I'm still hoping the peppers can do a similar development if I wait a bit
>>
>>899206
>Do I pull one out of the dirt or do I let them both grow right next to each other?
If it were me, I'd probably pull one. Small sprouts are usually easy to transplant, as long as you're gentle. When they get bigger, they will definitely touch and compete for root space/water.
>>
>>899219
Chamomile is basically a wildflower, so it a pretty hardy plant, and fairly drought-resistant. Yea, I think it will bounce back. Only water it once in a while when the soil feels dry. If it's outside, you probably don't need to water it all as long you get some occasional rain. And yea, definitely make sure there's a hole for excess water to drain out. It prefers dry soil to swampy.
>>
>>899499
I just checked the base of the pot and there is one center hole (1in dia) with a root coming out. There doesn't seem to be a way for water to get out of the small space under the pot (stupid design, really). I'm going too try propping it up on something.
>>
>>899495
No I mean, can I let them grow (closer than 5 mm to eachother) and another 10cm away, or should I pull one out?
>>
>>899553
I'd pull one out. Like I say, they'll just compete with each other, which will ensure both grow slowly and stunted. Sacrifice one so the other will live.
>>
>>899334
I saved a few peppers and oranges which had no longer leaves but still living stems, by putting them under high color temperature strong light and forcing them to get new vegetating buds. The key thing was to water the plant as it needs, because proximity of the lamp quickly dries them off.
>>
>>899644
I saved this serrano
>>899110
Last winter by just bringing it inside. All the leaves had fallen off or gone crispy brown and it came back to life just by being inside
>>
File: 1480101962922.jpg (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1480101962922.jpg
4MB, 2560x1440px
Yacon harvest
>>
File: 1480101940138.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1480101940138.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
The texture is similar to an apple hence the Peruvian apple name. But it tastes like a bland apple with a small after note of sweetness. Not a bad first time harvest.
>>
>>898960
bell peppers are objectively the most shit pepper variety though

>low yield
>zero (0) heat

it's just a garbage plant overall. there's plenty of sweet peppers that still have a hint of heat and taste great like poblano.
>>
>>900416
Well if I want heat, I'm obviously not going to reach for a bell pepper. They are crunchy and the green ones have a slight bitterness that goes well with certain dishes or in salads. Not going to disagree that they are overly popular though, but some people really can't stand heat. Poblanos are pretty darn nice, too.

I've grown a variety called garden sunshine -- sort of a longer oblong sweet 'bell' variety. Not hot, but a hint of piquant that is fine for heat-phobics. Produces pretty well when conditions are right.
>>
>>900253
>Yacon
does it keep for a long time, like taters?
>>
>>900416
But curry
>>
Quick question, I'm starting a new bed of veggies next year (it's currently summer here),and am wondering what I should do to prep the bed. It's actually an old feedlot that had cows and sheep about 4 years ago. There's still quite a bit if gay on the ground and it looks like great soil. Would it be worth rototilling it now in preparation? Also do you think it would be a good idea to throw some vetch or a pea mix down as a green manure? Cheers.
>>
>>900656
What's taters?
>>
>>900813
potatoes
>>
>>900732
Is better with something like poblano desu. Hell even anahiem.
>>
Hey /out/, I'm a novice gardener having just started this last spring, and figured that a good way to learn more about plants would be to volunteer at my university's greenhouse for that expert advice and dat controlled growing environment.

Any of my own growing is constricted by limited space because most of it is used to hold research specimens, but I'll be able to use some space for myself. Besides getting a head started on my garden for the spring, I'm thinking I'm going to try an aquaponic setup with the equipment they have around there.

Does /out/ have any suggestions for cool projects I might wanna try given the environment I have access to? Will post pictures of specimens the more I learn/volunteer there.
>>
Has anyone tried growing oats or similar inside? Does it work?
>>
File: 20161126_190747.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161126_190747.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Pepper progress. Two of my tabasco plants are really taking off and my birds eyes are growing nice and bushy. Habaneros are also catching up nicely.
>>
>>900822
Boil em mash em stick em in a stew
>>
>>900848
oats indoors are not going to work. grasses just love to be free, dude.

>>900886
noice.
>>
So my grapefruit seed has a little root sticking out of it now. How long until it will sprout leafs?
>>
>>900416
Dried and powdered bell pepper is obligatory for coating of oven-baked chicken desu
Also the yield is only lower in number of fruits but in turn they're like 10 times as large so it should even out in mass
>>
>>894810

I've got no idea what this is referencing, but I'm fucking dead.
>>
File: 1353709139512.gif (693KB, 300x119px) Image search: [Google]
1353709139512.gif
693KB, 300x119px
>>900915
>>
File: 1335573909540.gif (645KB, 622x726px) Image search: [Google]
1335573909540.gif
645KB, 622x726px
>>901361

oops wrong gif
>>
>>901327

> he doesn't know about the guag merchant

Life must be sad without dank memes, take this friend

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/jeb-bush
>>
File: 11-27-16.png (2MB, 1466x649px) Image search: [Google]
11-27-16.png
2MB, 1466x649px
>>901450

Fucking Christ. What an embarrassment. Fucking WASPy creeps, all of them.

I've been running my aquaponics system for a little while now. I screwed up with the lettuce and celery, but I have 6 tomato plants and a few spinach. I've got seedlings in my house that are only a week old, will probably transplant in 2 or 3 weeks.

I had goldfish for a while, just to establish the system. Added channel cats a few weeks ago. It's going well, especially since I've never kept fish before.
>>
How do I know if my tomatillo plants have been pollinated?
I have 9 plants from seed and I'm worried that I'm just going to end up with empty husks when it comes to harvest.
Is it a good sign if the flowers are falling off instead of withering?
>>
>>901588
the flowers will close up or fall off
>>
File: 20161127_182655.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_182655.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Just got my plants inside. Heres my cherry tomato
>>
File: 20161127_182708.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_182708.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
And honeydew melon sprouts, orchid center and the tiny sprout on the barron pot is a tiny jalapeno.
>>
File: 20161127_182729.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_182729.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
My large jalapeno, my key lime tree and a small jalapeno on the windowsill, the offspring of the big one
>>
>>901628
why are you doing melons inside?

>>901634
where did you get the lime seed? All the fucking limes here are seedless
>>
File: 20161127_182739.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_182739.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
And a closeup of the little one and the lime tree
>>
File: 20161127_200631_HDR-1.jpg (419KB, 1705x2192px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_200631_HDR-1.jpg
419KB, 1705x2192px
So I cut a leaf that had gone yellow off my lemon. Now this little thing has grown out above the old leaf in less than a day. What's going on here?
>>
>>901637
I didnt grow it from seed, bought a seedling at a nursery and grew it all summer.
>>
>>901665
thats why you trim
>>
>>901671
so it makes more leafs?
>>
>>901671
>>901681
Meh, I pruned my lemon seedlings (almost 1 1/2 years old now) for the first time about 3 weeks ago, still no new growth/additional branching yet though
Then again winter is very dark and cloudy here (8.5h daylight right now, minimum is 8h) and they're sitting inside at around 17°C, so that slows things down probably
>>
>>901682
I have my lemon under a grow lamp most f the day
>>
>>900416
There are some varieties that have great flavor when red. Heat isn't strictly necessary to be worth eating.
>>
>>901545
>all that space between the tomatoes and the water
Why?
>>
>>901772

Why not?
>>
File: 20161127_182746.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_182746.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>901766
My jalapenos are way spicier than store bought, but they are smaller.
>>
>>901681
No, more stems.
>>
>>901774
It's just more distance for the roots to grow when they're small.
>>
>>901778

There's a pump that pumps water into the white perlite.
>>
>>901780
So, it costs electricity too. I don't understand the advantage of this setup.
>>
>>901784

It's pretty standard from what I've seen. I engineered the whole thing myself, so maybe there's a better way, but from every aquaponic system I've seen, that's how it's done. Do you have a system? I was thinking of building a second bed, and any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
File: Untitled.png (622KB, 1276x679px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
622KB, 1276x679px
>>901784

First result for "aquaponics"
>>
File: 20161128_135331.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_135331.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
So my chamomile was much sicker than I thought it was; the base was rotted out. Also, there were strange tiny little bugs and wormies in there. Extremely tiny.
Does chamomile do well growing from cuttings? I've salvaged two of the very top tips (that were desperately trying to flower).
>>
File: 20161128_135417.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_135417.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Circled some of the worms in question; identification? By this point most of the main stems could be easily removed with a light pull.
>>
File: 20161128_142007.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_142007.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Amateur plant autopsy
>>
File: 20161128_142208.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_142208.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
And the cuttings in a makeshift setup, they're next to other cuttings I'm experimenting with (only recently learned about cutting propagation).
>>
>>901831
Also hoping that bit of brown on the cuttings isn't to be too concerned about; from what I could see the "core" of the cuttings were healthy.
>>
>>901823
>>901828
You'd need to propagate cuttings from the base, which appear to be rotten... best to read up on chamomile cuttings.

Probably it just got a little too damp and swampy.
>>
>>901932
Yeah I definitely think so. The pot has been propped up now so there's drainage but it's a bit late.
I'll see how the cuttings do, worst case I'll have to buy another seedling (like $2). But I'd really like to see what they do.
>>
When will my chamomile plants start fucking flowering?
Summer starts here in 2 days, and there are still no flowers to be seen on my two chamomile plants
I thought they begin to flower in the spring and then through out summer.

I'll post photos in the morning
>>
>>901777
Nice trips
>>
Somebody start a new thread. I'm on mobile.
>>
Tfw live in region thats hot all year around and cant plant stuff like berries and apples
>>
>>902046
Have you considered moving
>>
>>902046
that may be so, but in return, a whole lot of other things are easy for you to grow

get on the bananas/mangos/melons boi
>>
>>901784

What's up, dude? You got a better design for aquaponics?
>>
>>90213

New thread
>>
>>902400

Oops

>>902133
>>902133
>>902133
>>902133
>>902133
>>902133
Thread posts: 351
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.