[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Survival At Sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1477418917355.png (231KB, 848x473px) Image search: [Google]
1477418917355.png
231KB, 848x473px
Hello /out/, fa/tg/uy here.

I'm going to be running a pen and paper game soon where players will be basically adrift on the ocean with 1700's tech, at the best, for years at a time.

How would they go about avoiding scurvy?

Will simply eating fresh fish caught from the ocean prevent it, or is there something else that must be done?

What vitamins and nutrients would they not be able to get just from fish, and where could they otherwise get those vitamins and nutrients?
>>
>>884085
so many bait threads, today
>>
>>884085

I think by far the most important aspect is the location of your player's abandonment. Caribbean? Pacific? Antarctic? etc etc. Makes all the difference.
>>
>>884087
This isn't a bait thread and it's the first time I've been to /out/.

Is this the wrong board for /out/door survival, Anon?
>>
>>884088
Pacific, maybe a little caribbean. Definitely ocean-locked, at any rate.
>>
>>884090
>I'm going to be running a pen and paper game
>/out/
come on
>>
>>884093
I don't understand what you're trying to imply anon
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy
Scroll down to prevention. Shit was hard yo.

Also pretending to go out vs actually going out. Wrong board champ.
>>
>>884099
Are you implying that if I want to learn about guns for a game, I shouldn't go to /k/?

Or if I want to learn about cars for a game, I shouldn't go to /o/?

Sorry anon but are you guys just retarded?
>>
>>884101
I am implying you are asking questions that you could answer yourself with 2 seconds of google searching. You know how to read right?
>>
>>884103
When I go to /k/ and ask about a gun, I get a huge amount of information that isn't on wikipedia, and that I would otherwise have to spend hours and hours reading up on to obtain.

I assumed that /out/ would be equally as useful.

Also, you sure as shit weren't implying that, since >pretending to go out vs actually going out. Wrong board champ.

Learn to read, bud.
>>
>>884104
then go to /k/. You don't go /out/ and don't plan to, so why should we give a fuck about you?
>>
>>884104
Google search:scurvy prevention

Now that I have helped you numbnuts I expect a credit somewhere in your game of pretend. Thanks.
>>
>>884095
>>884099
Ignore these guys OP, we've got an unfortunate infestation of elitist shitposters who pretend they're Edmund Hillary but don't actually go out themselves.

If it was easy to prevent scurvy at sea then people wouldn't get it. You need vitamin C but the sources are pretty much all vegetable. Could get it from fruit if uninhabited islands are part of the game. If not, seaweed has some, but you'd need to eat a lot of it to stay healthy in the long run. Coconuts are another source, and they disperse by floating around in the ocean then washing up on shore (they actually need to be exposed to salt water to sprout). That could be plausible for a game but I don't think that would be realistic in a real world survival situation.
>>
>>884108
>seaweed
looks like sargassum is a decent source of vitamin C and there's tons of it if you set the game in the Sargasso Sea.
>>
>>884108
It's weird, these fags seem like shitposting retards, AND normies, all at once.

I feel like I've walked into an offensive version of reddit.

Thanks though, Anon, that was very helpful.

What about fresh fish?

Also, are there parts of the ocean that just don't have harvestable fish?

Are the fishable areas mostly in specific zones?

Are there dead zones of hte ocean that aren't that deep, but just don't have that much life?
>>
>>884118
you insult like an underage kid, that tries so hard to fit into 4chan. shouting buzzwords isn't gonna hurt me. just get off the internet, it's doing you no good
>>
>>884158
Idunno anon, you guys seem like shitposters, stupid, AND normies all at once.

Seems pretty fitting to me.
>>
>>884101
Yeah you should probably stay away from /k/ too
>>
>>884118
Part of the problem is when other boards tell their retards to "get >>>/out/", some of them actually come here, while the people who actually go outside don't spend a lot of time at the computer. So the signal to noise ratio here can be pretty low sometimes. And then there's the rednecks from the fishing thread like >>884165.

Anyway the nutrition questions are more medicine/biology, I don't know if this is really the place to ask or if /sci/ would be any help.

>Also, are there parts of the ocean that just don't have harvestable fish?
Yep, lots of the deep open ocean areas can have pretty sparse sea life. A lot of fish like hanging out near edges of things, also they're concentrated in areas where their food is, eg around reefs or in spots where the upwelling currents bring nutrients up from the bottom. There are also dead zones in shallower areas from pollution (eg phosphates in runoff > algae bloom > decaying algae suck all the oxygen out of the water).

>>884158
If you want to shitpost why don't you go do it in the Chris McCandless thread? That's what it's there for.
>>
>>884085
This is a shitty thread and you really should have researched this before you came to this board.

That said, I'm also an occasional fa/tg/uy and so.
Souces of viatmin C include, Sauerkraut/kimchi, pine needle tea, Limes, lemons, grapefruit. Sauerkraut stores well and can last up to a year without refrigeration, it is however an acquired taste and requires a relatively cold climate (below 23C ish).
Citrus fruits store well and were the choice of British sailors during the main period of colonisation, see captain cook.
You appear t have done very little research and therefore realise that sailors would have caught very little of their overall food supply and the vast majority of there calories come from things like, hardtack, alcohol (which does contain plenty of calories), and salted meat and vegetables.
Long sea voyages were always prohibitively expensive and required funding by third parties most of the time.
Cloumbus was tunred down by Portugal, Genoa and England, before the Spanish king took a risk and funded his voyage
>>
>>884243
I don't think you read the thread, did you?

Why does everybody on this board write as if they're retarded or having a stroke? It genuinely confuses me.
>>
>>884244
No I didn't I'm pretty drunk
>>
File: 1464280570709.jpg (342KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1464280570709.jpg
342KB, 600x600px
>>884248
Oh, that's cool then, carry on m8
>>
>>884085
Ignore the haters man. You won't get all of your vitamins from fish, though they're definitely a good start. Seaweed is often a viable option. Catching birds as well. Your options certainly vary by location, as another anon pointed out.
>>
>>884244
>Why does everybody on this board write as if they're retarded or having a stroke?
Like I said, every other board tells their retards to "get >>>/out/" and the dumbest of the dumb think it's funny to follow the link and take up residence. Believe it or not, /out/ was friendly, helpful and sometimes even knowledgeable for the first year or two. There are still a few of us left but like I also said, we aren't at the keyboard 24/7 (I'm only around today because it's a dismal cold rainy day where I am, and while I kinda like dismal cold rainy days it's the first one of the season so all my dismaling clothes were buried in the back of the closet and some needed a wash).
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.