[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2016 Hunting Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 70

File: crazy-trail-cam-photo-10.jpg (67KB, 700x415px) Image search: [Google]
crazy-trail-cam-photo-10.jpg
67KB, 700x415px
I didn't see a hunting thread in the catalog, so I'm gonna go ahead and start one up.

Where/What are y'all hunting this year?

Any new gear?

Any success so far?

Feel free to post pics of your prey/crazy situations and share hunting stories.

Also hunting general thread.

Me:

>Hunting public land in Texas, got lucky and got drawn for a standby slot for an archery only deer hunt which goes til January 1. Also has a decent rabbit and hog population.
> Using a Bear Cruzer bow at 70 lb draw.
>Gonna be hunting out of a summit climber and doing some spot and stalk.

Also I'm a newb at hunting so any advice is appreciated.
>>
File: elg.jpg (85KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
elg.jpg
85KB, 480x360px
I'm also a bit of a noob, even though I've been on a few hunting trips. I shot my first moose a week ago. Sorry about low resolution, the guy that took the photo with his phone sent it to me, I just got this low res shit.
It was 5/5 bretty good though. Awesome hobby.
>>
>>877179
Good job killing that magnificent creature for no reason at all. I hope you feel way more manly now.
>>
>>877197
>no reason at all
the landowner was very greatful, it's part of his income to sell the meat to the butcher
>>
>>877197
You're on the wrong board. Go see >>>/an/
>>
Anyone have any experience boar hunting in california? Never been hunting but I want to bust my cherry with a feral hog
>>
>>877197
>on /out/
>crying about killing animals
get off this board faggot
>>
>>877174
Souther Louisiana so i'm literally hunting several different animals
>Squirrel
>White tale deer
>Dove
>Rabbit
>Duck
That's just the fall season

And i still have time to catch Large mouth Bass in my free time

Why do people live anywhere but Southern Louisiana
>>
>>877231

How about no. And people that kill animals for fun are mentally deficient and / or have small penises.
>>
>>877240
I eat everything I kill, what do you think people do with something when they kill it?

Down south there is literally a recipe for every animal, and damn good ones at that

Also don't knock it until you try it, went boar hunting in Texas and that shit is fun as fuck
>>
>>877240
People who call others out for compensating are the real hypocrites. They can't think of a better insult and think of their own small penis.
>>
>>877235
The women are ugly besides outsiders at Unis. It's full of niggers. And I can hunt all of those and fish year round up north too.
>>
>>877250
i'd give my left testicle to go boar hunting from a helicopter
some aspects of tx are spot on
>>
>>877254
Baton Rouge has some good women, there are a lot of niggers, and probably, but i can hunt almost all that shit within 10 min from my house

>>877256
It is one of the better experiences in my life, worth every cent, they gave us unlimited rounds for 4 hours

But i got lucky, the boars were moving and i got about 30, i'd recommend it
>>
>>877240
I hate this type of mindset. The reason people hunt is for food, resources, and for sport. Not only for sport. Going out and killing a deer for venison is just as bad as going out and taking a cutting from a plant so you can enslave your whole garden and pick all their fruits and seeds off whenever YOU feel like it. Fucking faggot.
>>
>>877269

>The reason people hunt is for food, resources, and for sport

There's plenty of food and resources available in the stores. The only 'Sport' you are waging is pure bloodlust. You like Sports? Play Tennis. At least your fat redneck ass will get in shape.

>Going out and killing a deer for venison is just as bad as going out and taking a cutting from a plant

lolwut
>>
>>877279
What do you mean "lolwut". There's this thing called the food chain m8.

And yes bloodlust is part of the sport but again, not all of it. It's also the preparation that goes into a trip, the tracking (depending on what kind of hunting), just being outside in general, the amount of skill you are putting into your shot (bow vs some high-tech hunting rifle), the shot itself, the cleaning of the kill, etc.

Yes the sport is centered around "bloodlust" but that doesn't mean that's all there is to it and that also doesn't mean that the only people into it are people who just want to go out and kill things.

I know no one's ever going to get through to you and you know that aswell unless you're just shitposting so let's just agree to disagree faggot.
>>
>>877264
What's the cost of living? I'm a Saints fan and always wanted to move there but I prefer having 20+ acres and a log cabin.
>>
>>877279
I could dare kill an animal, I go to the store and buy meat where animals weren't harmed

Nice troll. I bet you post in dog threads saying you shoot any of them off leash just to get a few You's.
>>
>>877174
Hunting pretty much everything I can in MN, except bear, I wasn't drawn.
>>
Went grouse hunting today in Bemidji area MN. 2 grouse flushes and no kills and 3 woodcock flushes and one hit. Thought I saw it drop and looked for it for about 15 minutes and had to give up as it started to get too dark. Thought I finally got my first woodcock, too. Also saw a porcupine and got stalked by a bowhunter who thought I was a deer until he saw me. Grouse hunting is probably my favorite outdoors activity right now, it's like a normal off-trail hike but with a once an hour or so heavy shot of adrenaline and a taste meal at the end if you aren't as bad as me.

First duck hunting season for me. Got a dozen mallard decoys and have set up a few morning to no avail. Apparently it has been a crappy season around here for everybody so far because of unseasonably warm weather and winds from the south keeping ducks north. I just want to get my first duck dammit.
>>
File: 1471732010147.png (96KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1471732010147.png
96KB, 350x350px
>>877201
>>877202
>>877231
>>877250
>>877252
>>877269
>>877283
Stahp.
>>877288
Kekkles.
>>
File: 1473316659325.jpg (72KB, 600x684px) Image search: [Google]
1473316659325.jpg
72KB, 600x684px
tldr /out/ is easier to troll than /k/
>>
File: young pepe in the wild.jpg (136KB, 700x873px) Image search: [Google]
young pepe in the wild.jpg
136KB, 700x873px
Anyone in Pennsylvania hunting deer this year? I stopped a few years ago because "muh compensation" sportfags and the fucking Amish took over the little amount of public Erie gamelands. I've been looking to find a spot in smaller population county.

>>877197
>>877240
>>877279
>>>/t/umblr
>>
I don't hunt, but I visit after the hunt. I like to skin the animal and use as much as I can, but I'm not very good at skinning yet. If I didn't come over, he would just take the choice cuts and leave the rest to rot anyway. Problem is, he moved to the city and doesn't hunt much anymore. Is it common for people to let others come over after the hunt to skin and prep the animal? I'd like to continue doing it but I'm not sure if anyone would want someone as green as me to cut up their animal.
>>
File: 1464027318709.jpg (16KB, 357x379px) Image search: [Google]
1464027318709.jpg
16KB, 357x379px
>8+ hour car ride for a hare and two grouse between three of us

Let's say it could've been better.
>>
>>877577
having a nice trip is the most important thing, not the kills :^)
>>
File: md_horiz.jpg (65KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
md_horiz.jpg
65KB, 300x200px
>>877577
>1.5 hour drive to hunt deer that were all killed by the amish.
>>
>>877608
Grandma pls
>>
If there aren't any deer just shoot cats and dogs. You don't need a tag and don't have to hassle with the carcass. Bonus it's legal in all 50 states and good for the environment (if you are a pussy who worries about that)
>>
>>877631 (You)
>>
>>877628
I'm actually a little serious, getting out there and enjoying the nature is enough, I don't get grumpy if we don't shoot anything.
>>
>>877631
>killing to make the enviroment better makes you a pussy
lmao nice bait anon. alot of them do need killed though but thats mostly due to bad pet owners.
>>
>>877645
I was like that until I've been on my 8th multi-day trip with one or two kills max.
>>
>>877631
Ever notice how all the turd posts in each thread all come around the some point in time.

I swear it's just one asshole who comes to this board just to shit on everyone tards out and goes back to jerking off.
>>
>>877649
You have reading comprehension problems sir
>>
>>877179
Hot damn, noice moose! When I'm done with college and all that I want to try and go on a moose hunt. I'm assuming tags are fairly challenging to get though.
>>
OP here, I haven't hunted in CA but in Texas we have a metric fuckload. Are you rifle hunting or bowhunting?

While I'm still a noob, I've had some success for hogs. Best thing to do when starting out is to set out bait and wait if you can, but that really depends on state laws and if you're hunting public land or private. Baiting can be done on public land but it's way harder, at least around here, as hogs are smart fuckers and will only eat the corn during nonshooting hours.

The next best thing is to find a natural food source or a water source(especially in the warmer months) as pigs can't sweat and have to wallow in mud as well as get a drink.

If possible, get a guide your first time out, because that's most likely gonna be your best bet.
>>
>>877235
Meh, Texas is pretty sweet besides being hot as fuck most of the time, and we have those animals as well. That being said I want to go to LA to hunt and fish really bad.
>>
>>877174
I just visited granger PHL yesterday OP, I'm looking for some hunting pals
>>
File: 20161014_190056.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161014_190056.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>877383

>Grouse

I hear you. Went for two such walks over the weekend and bagged a good sized male rough grouse each time. Four meals made off the breasts.

Stalked a deer for a while. It kept 'hiding' it's front half behind trees. But it's whole ass was sticking out. Played hide and seek with it for an hour. Could have shot it in the ass a half dozen times. Lost it in the end but a cool experience. I'm hooked.

Can't wait to go out again soon. I got my doe earlier in the year, now would love to fill my buck tag.
>>
>>877803
>I'm assuming tags are fairly challenging to get though.
It can be if you don't know any landowners and don't have contacts yet. They often prioritize their friends and neighbours when they sell the tags. And some land owners just want to do all the hunting themselves. But I'm sure you will find someone to buy from eventually, it just takes a bit of searching.. Maybe you know some fellow hunters, that will help a lot.
This is how it often is in Norway at least, where I shot this moose. But I'm not the most experienced hunter, and things could be different in other parts of the country so take it with a grain of salt. For me it was easy to get a tag, since my family has hunted there for decades.
>>
>>877838
and btw I reccommend you get on a hunting team anyway because not only can they help you with tags, but taking care of a moose is a ton of work so I don't think I would hunt one solo.
>>
>>877846
I've never heard of a hunting team where I'm from in the usa. Sounds pretty cool actually.
>>
>>877383
Hey bemidji bro. Foston area here. Any good state hunting lands for whitetails over in your parts, or are they all over hunted?
>>
I want to hunt a black bear. This will be.my first.hunt. good idea?
>>
>>878585
Nope. Unless you've got a guide.
>>
File: 1460264294027.jpg (42KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1460264294027.jpg
42KB, 800x533px
>>877235
>bass
>>
File: Mawds Tahr.jpg (160KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mawds Tahr.jpg
160KB, 960x720px
>>877174
Mates latest Bull Tahr
>>
>>878522
It's a good way to get pro tips from other hunters.
>>
>>877235
Do you think thats a lot or something? Add coyotes, fox, turkey and you have a normal stroll through my back yard, and i live in the suburbs
>>
>>877174
I plan on going deer hunting 2 weekends, but on public land so I doubt I will shoot anything. I might go turkey hunting in the winter/spring season, but not the fall. I do plan on using my redfish tag this year, if you can consider targeting specific huge fish hunting. I was trying all last weekend, and going again this weekend and probably some of next week.
>>
File: IMG_20161019_231657.jpg (466KB, 1152x1534px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161019_231657.jpg
466KB, 1152x1534px
Tasmanian here. Will be shooting plenty of these Bennett's wallabies this summer for meat. Usually go for headshots with a Savage M93 BTVS in 22WMR or my new Lithgow LA101 in 22lr - an amazing gun I must say (in pic).

Also locked in for fallow deer hunting in autumn next year in the NE of the island. Will be using a Winchester M70 30-06 for that, with light handloads to limit meat damage.

Keen to do some feral goat/camel/donkey/horse shooting in central Australia at some point in the near future too.
>>
>>878883
Nice. I've been told you only need to get 1 permit for wallabies or some shit in Tas?

In QLD for roos and wallys I need to get a certain permit and an amount of tags. For the properties I do that for it's not a problem but just annoying.

Good thing about QLD(and Aus in general), is I go hunting all year round. Been doing pigs, roos with permits, foxes, more pigs, rabbits. Not deer yet but soon, maybe during the rut.
>>
>>878883
holy shit? you have feral camels in australia?

just when I don't think I can laugh at your authoritarian queen worshiping desert shit hole island any more, I learn a new fact.
>>
>>877174
I have a cow elk tag for this December in the Gila. It's as close to a guaranteed hunt as one can get without paying to go on some hunting ranch. I'm going to put in for Oryx next year though. Tasty 'lil critters.
>>
>>877230
Take a semi-auto.
The point is to kill all that you find, its not a time for bolt action.
>>
>>877279
>available in the stores.
Stop supporting the industrial meat complex.

Cows and chickens live a deplorable "life"- its akin to torture.
Squeezed into pens and barns with hardly enough room to move. Pumped full of antibiotics and hormones.

Remember all the mad cow disease reports?
It was spread so easily because cows were fed the remains of their sick and elderly brethren.
At least deer have a good and full life before they're harvested.

BTW, just cost me $54 for deer processing.
I didn't hunt it, friend loves to hunt but usually has too much meat in his fridge. So he'll drop extra deer at the butcher and I'll pick it up when its ready.

I'd love to see $54 in steak, sausage and roasts from anybodys local grocery store.
>>
Living in Ohio I never stop hunting. Coyotes year round. Squirrel year round. Rabbit year round. I don't care for deer hunting because it's bow only.

The coyotes where I hunt live next to some abandoned train tracks that I can see from the roof of an abandoned factory. Killed 2 in one day last week. I use a Savage mkii. Seems to do the job perfectly. For small game I use a Gamo air rifle.
>>
>>878969
Last 'yotie I killed was in my neighbor's yard.

>Be me
>Get phone call at ~10pm from neighbor
>Coyote is on her front porch and not scared of her, husband is asleep
>Grab shotgun with bird shot
>Go over
>Coyote was digging her sweet potatoes up from pots on porch
>Ask her if she wants it dead or gone
>DEAD
>Play cat and mouse with coyote in her yard, trying to get lined up for a shot that is safe
>Finally get it, 20' with a perfect broad side
>BANG!
>Hear "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!"
>Turns out that the muzzle was right underneath bedroom window and woke her husband up
>>
>>877820
Fuck having to drive from Austin to Houston to find phl for deer using a rifle.
>>
>>877820
OP here, I'm looking for some hunting pals as well, you live in the Central Texas area?

Yeah the PHL is pretty sweet, good amount of hogs and deer, but the hogs spook really easily, and whenever crops are growing/haven't been harvested they hang out there. It looks like all the corns been harvested though so i expect to see a couple while I'm out this season.
>>
>>878606
And/or a .50 cal pistol as a sidearm, if you're bow hunting that is
>>
>>879069
Yeah been trying to find some in central TX but it looks like I'm going to have to drive all the way to Sam Houston NF to use their PHL.
>>
>>879073
Yeah it's archery only(and crossbows) for deer unfortunately, though you can use a shotgun for duck, dove, squirrels and rabbits. Honestly though, most of granger is so thick rifle hunters and bowhunters would honestly be shooting from about the same spots.

You have a bow by chance?
>>
>>879082
No bow yet, going to pick one up for next year.

Well not true I have a bare bone takedown recurve from Cabelas.

Also no boat so I can't do duck and goose unfortunately.
>>
>>879084
Whats the poundage? If its 45+ pounds you can take down some of the sows, though a boar might be a bit of a challenge. Recurves are actually pretty good out there because sometimes you'll kick up a hog, or a swamp rabbit and have to let off a snap shot at them. It's a good bit more challenging than using a compound or crossbow, that's for sure, but I've seen some guys get it done.
>>
>>878885
Always wanted to go hunt 'Straya, the terrain, environment and wildlife seems very similar to Texas, minus the roos and saltwater crocs and all that. Y'all have red deer out there right? Or am I thinking of New Zealand?
>>
>>879082
Oh and have you considered a kayak? I'm probably not gonna be doing any bird hunting this year cuz I lucked out and got a deer permit, but I've gotta yak and its pretty nice for getting to some hard to reach spots along the river. Its better when its colder though so you don't have to fuck with as many snakes though.

Plus, you can always throw out a few juglines for catfish on the way to your hunting spot, so you can at least get some fish if the hogs/deer aren't cooperating.
>>
File: 20161018_124501.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_124501.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I'm heading out for the first deer hunt of the season early as fuck tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some luck out there. I haven't had venison in a long ass time.

Groupings not half bad, so I think I'm good to go!
>>
Who here has possibly done some fishing/hunting in Colorado

I need someone to show me around, haven't been hunting before..

I'm in the Denver area
>>
>>878898
Not him but yea we have camel in Australia. Introduced and now feral of course. Apparently we export them to Arab land or some such. Pretty good to shoot.

>>879095
Where I am lots of Red Deer. Feral and in plague proportions so no tags or permits needed.
In regards to terrain, pretty similar to Texas. The east coast (best coast) is forest then once you're past the forest it's fucked cunt outback with some grass. Not so bad.
>>
>>879152
every major country tried the camel calvary idea in the mid 1800s. we had a huge base of them in texas. but we don't have feral camels in texas.

lol. I am sure you are a nice person who isn't on centrlink. but the aistrslia memes are just so hilarious. you morons let your camels loose.
>>
File: IMG_20151102_193936.jpg (217KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151102_193936.jpg
217KB, 960x960px
>Elk season starts Saturday.
>Been Scouting Found Elk
>Giddy like a 7 year old
>Hope I can get a 6 point bull
>>
>>878851
beautiful

where is this at anon?
>>
>>877279
>There's plenty of food and resources available in the stores
and where does that meat come from? fairy dust? not to mention the fact that the animals that I have killed and eaten have 100% lived a better life than that of the average farm raised cow. 3/10 made me reply
>>
>>879190
Yea don't think the camel calvary was why they brought camel to Aus. Either way, they are here now and massive cunts. Cool shooting them though, it's either aerial or from 1km if by foot.
Don't worry mate, I'm not a cunt on centerlink. I mostly hate my fellow Australians, bunch of retards.
>>
>>879092
I can't recall what the package said but it has 62-50 on the limb. I know that when a went to buy it I had researched it to make sure it was enough to take down deer.

I have only practiced with it a little bit. The reason I got it was so I had a light breakdown bow to strap to my BoB as a back to my rifle.

Like I said I will be getting a "cheap" compound bow for next year and I plan on practicing with it all spring and summer. But as of now if I tried to hunt with the bow I have it would be very unethical.
>>
>>879289
I have no idea about australian politics. but I do know that the uk along with the french and americans were testing the idea of camel calvary in about 1850. thr main basr in america was camp verde. in the texas hill country.

it is so weird. I cant remember names, faces, or years. but I remember the stories.
>>
>>879190

Afghan cameliers were brought in to transport goods between Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin in the 1800s. A railway linking Adelaide and Darwin built in the 1920s was nicknamed the Afghan express, then shortened to The Ghan in honour of the cameliers.

Camels went feral in the beginning of the 1900s as they are well suited to the outback. They compete with brahmin herds for grass and destroy fences. The only good camel is a dead camel.
>>
>>877174
>HUNTING
>2016
>Needing to feel strong and dominant by being able to pull a trigger/bow string

Whoa the edge
>>
>>879774
>2016
>buying meat in a supermarket
>not getting over 100lbs of fresh, organic, humane meat per deer for $50 or less
>>
>>879780
>2016
>eating shit tasting game meat

Meat at the super market has been killed already, your just shooting to eat to say "check out how cool it is that I used a high powered rifle/ advanced compound bow to take out this herbivore ain't I cool!" Meats meat, don't matter where you get it if you clean/cook it properly
>>
>>879516
Ah I hear ya. But be careful with cheaper bow, my Bear Cruzer's string actually sheared a lug off the cam last night. I got a new bow today with some savings, a Mathews Halon 6, and it's pretty sturdy and fast as hell.
>>
>>879792
Yeah by cheap I mean under $500 I onow better than to get a "dollar tree" bow.

I'm going to hit up gassmans in San An since im in San Marcos. I figure they will be good to steer me to the right gear.
>>
File: 20160723_223551.jpg (3MB, 2746x1825px) Image search: [Google]
20160723_223551.jpg
3MB, 2746x1825px
I get six deer tags with my hunting liscenses every year. Can only shoot max of two bucks, both of which must have at least three points on one side.

Got a private land antlerless modern gun coming up next weekend. Got a few does on camera coming out during daylight so I'll probably end up taking one of two during the weekend.

Few weeks after that the regular modern gun season opens and I'll be spending a week on public land. I can only shoot one buck and one doe there though. Upside is that I can also take a black bear as well if I see one. Which isn't very likely. I typically hike in around seven miles, set up a Basecamp, then hunt and sleep from there. If I get an animal I hike it to the nearest forestry road and pick it up with my vehicle then go ice it down. Killed one at sunset there last year and didn't get back to camp until midnight.

Then in the end of November we start waterfowl hunting.
>>
>>879780
>100lb
>50 or less
I get the point you are trying to make, but for most hunters the cost is over $50/100lb
>>
Going deer hunting in MI over Thanksgiving this year. First time I've ever hunted anything. What am I in for and what should I do to not look retarded? I went through all the hunters ED when I was a kid but just never ended up going until now, also an avid shooter so safety is already on my brain.
>>
>>877240
>people that kill animals for fun are mentally deficient and / or have small penises.

Got a source to back that up? Or are you confused about the difference between fact and opinion?
>>
>>880154
Layer your clothes. Don't bitch about walking, cold weather, or how early it is. Bring some stimulants, food, and water. Don't shoot a deer with spots on it. If hunting from a stand don't piss near it, use a bottle. Prepare to be given a hard time if your the only newb, it's part of it.
>>
>>877631
>it's legal in all 50 states

Except for the part where it can be charged as a felony in all 50 states.
>>
File: IMG_2390.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2390.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I'm looking fwd to putting some venison in the freezer & turkey on the smoker this year. I just got this new toy. Great groups right out of the box. 365fps combines with a Toxic broad head should be pretty effective up to 60 yrds
>>
>>877383
>bemidji
Haven't hunted the area much myself, I'm from the Grand Rapids/Deer River area. Killed my first Minnesotan Canadian goose this year, shot quite a few woodies. Just got a few grouse this last weekend, hoping to get a few more Sunday.
>>
>>877240

I enjoy killing animals, am working on a PhD and (by all accounts) have an unusually large penis.
>>
>>879782
>eating shit tasting game meat
>Meats meat, don't matter where you get it if you clean/cook it properly
Way to contradict yourself.
>>
>>880149
I'll admit I forgot to factor in license costs, but I dont think my family ever pays more than $50 to get it processed. If you process the meat yourself, your only expenses are licenses, a bullet or two, and time.
>>
>>880252
Fuel is my biggest cost. I do all the processing myself. There's the cost of the rifle, bow, etc. Batteries in trail cameras.
>>
>>879743
that story is way more boring than camel calvary, but I believe you.

now I know.

it is still hilarious that you queen worshiping convict spawn have feral camels.

no offense.
>>
>>879743
Hey /out/back Bro you seem to know wildlife in your country. Where does the batshit crazy animal right stuff come from down under? Top vegan crazies on YT are ausies. I remember a few years back reading about protesters during duck shoots blowing whistles and wearing blaze orange. If i recall a law passed that forbid interference in hunting It just seems hunters there have to deal with some extremely difficult people and laws. Is there a certain person or group responsible for this extremism?
>>
>>880158
Right on. I like hiking and being out before dawn anyways. Didn't think about pissing near the stand. And as far as getting a hard time, I'm going with my soon to be father in law...So it's to be expected.
>>
>>880250
Damn you got me anon, let me just go shoot some shit instead of going to the store, where it's already been killed.
>>
>>880312

Unsure if there is any one person or group responsible for this bullshittery. I perceive the extreme animal rights movement as a result of increasing urbanisation, leading to a greater separation between urban dwellers working in industrial and services sectors of the economy and those rural people working in primary production.

Being an animal rights activist is a fairly straightforward choice for someone who's only exposure to animals is a cute puppy or kitten. If you've ever had to cull pests because they're eating your crops, or know someone personally who has, I doubt you'd think much of the current animals rights movement as it doesn't really fit your reality. My 2c.
>>
>>880723
Its called Coalition Against Duck shooting (CADS), and law just changed in victoria for next duck season stating if you are a protester you have to be 100m away from a waterway.
>>
>>880301
I ignore the cost of firearms/bows and ammo personally, I was going to buy them anyways.
>>
>>880515
Makes me a little sick that you, the animal white knight of the thread, prefer the cruelty of factory farming (Google it if you're already confused by my big words) over the maintenance of a healthy population of wildlife. Go sit in the corner and think about your mistakes; you're doing life wrong.
>>
Is 7.62x39 enough to take down a deer? I've read a lot of articles saying yes. However, it's my first time and if my shot placement isn't 100% I don't want to take the risk of wounding the animal. Not that a bigger cartridge will make up for bad aim... but would I be better off with something closer to 30-06?
>>
>>877279
>There's plenty of food and resources available in the stores

That food doesn't kill itself.

Although I do buy venison sausage in stores when I don't have any at home and it isn't deer season.
>>
>>877197
>Meese
>Deserving of mercy
'no'
>>
>>880925
Where do you live? As long as you arent 200lb deer up north somrwhere it shouldnt be that much of an issue as long you arent shooting long distances. Get some higher end bullets. Don't use some lead tipped Soviet bs, corelokts, or superx. I've used federal fusion with success and they offer a 7.62x39 load.
>>
>>880945
I live in Indiana, but I'm going to Gladwin Michigan. And yeah I plan on buying high end ammo, won't need a lot so might as well spend the money.
>>
>>877240
Also have a PhD and enjoy hunting. We eat everything we kill and my kids help process. In other words, they know where their food comes from. Your ignorant.
>>
Valencia, Spain hunting Song thrushes, pidgeons, rabbits and If I'm very lucky maybe a boar.

So far no new gear though I'm getting a german BW surplus rucksack this week(probably) and a friend of my uncle whom I usually hunt with may gift me a shotgun as he's got more than he uses, either a Browning or a Fabarm, don't know the models as he only mentioned the brands.
>>
>>882225
Also, I know it's almost impossible, any Spainbro here?
Oh and hunting partridges too.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Going for small game after I get my license, just got a Marlin xt-22. Pic related is my deer rifle, Marlin 336W in 30-30
>>
>>877174
>>>877231
>
>How about no. And people that kill animals for fun are mentally deficient and / or have small penises.

I hunt and i have a small penis. Here's your "aha gotcha" moment.
>>
>>880980
I've shot a few deer with an SKS, it's got enough to do the job, but don't risk a bad shot with it. If you need to its nice to put a follow up shot through a neck if you don't feel 100% about your first shot. I've had that gut feeling before.
>>
>>878883
Fellow Tasmanian here. Got a few wallabies about a month ago. Keen to get out again
>>
>>883164
Nice haul mate. Where about in tassie do you hunt?

Also noticed you keep the ribcage on the wallabies. Never seen that done before. I usually chuck the upper body with ribcage and guts, and only keep the lower end.
>>
>>883187
Had a mate do these one's so I'm not too sure why he does it.

Down south around the Huon Valley. You?
>>
>>883194

Ah righto. I'm in Hobart for uni but shoot on a farm in Scottsdale. Putting feelers out for local land to shoot on at the glenorchy rimfire club though. Hopefully soon.
>>
Failed to get around to getting my hunters safety in time for this season, so I'm getting it this winter and going next year. I got a k31 (7.5×55mm Swiss) is it good for hunting elk /deer or should a get something else for my first hunt?
>>
>>883198
Apparently from what I have heard farms down my way are being overrun by Rufus wallabies. Be good to get on to that somehow
>>
File: Moosetube.jpg (112KB, 1198x674px) Image search: [Google]
Moosetube.jpg
112KB, 1198x674px
>>877174
Do you guys allready know finnish intention Moosetube?

You shoot a moose or elk, put it in thiskind of tube and one man can drag it out of forest, without the catch going bad.
>>
>>883409

Yeah its plague proportions at the moment. Do you reckon it's worth cold-calling farmers asking for access?
>>
File: muslim photobomb.png (582KB, 598x543px) Image search: [Google]
muslim photobomb.png
582KB, 598x543px
>>877197

/reddit/
>>
>>879244
New Zealand
>>
Deer rifle season doesn't open here until Nov 12th, but I'm gonna be using a scoped rifle and an actual hunting caliber for the first time.
This year I'll be using a Rem700 in 7mm Rem Mag with a 4-16x Bushnell scope.

Sure, 7mm RM may have a little more power than needed for Eastern Whitetail, but I'm ready for that bang-flop kill from 150+ yards.
>>
>>883597
What's the worst that can happen? They say no
>>
>>880312

>>880723
Is right.
Also due to the fact our media is left or more left, as is our education system. So there aren't any classes that teach students in the cities that ferals cost the economy around $1bil a year, that feral cats kill an estimated 5-30 animals a day each (times that by the estimated 15mil-18mil feral cats in Aus), and so on.
It's easier to remain an uneducated Australian idiot than to become an educated Australian idiot.
>>
File: Mean View.jpg (121KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Mean View.jpg
121KB, 960x960px
NZ has the best hunting opportunities desu

no seasons or bag limits on mammals as they are all classed as pests, and the govt poisons and shoots them

seven deer species in varying locations and numbers
>red
>fallow
>whitetail
>wapiti
>sika
>rusa
>sanbar

Himalayan Tahr and Chamois can be hunted any time of the year and live in the most fucked up awesome looking country there is up in the high Southern Alps.

Heaps of pigs, goats, rabbits, hares...

Yearly game bird season, ducks, chukar, geese, quail...actually canada geese are to be shot on sight, the sqwaking cunts.

got a few good eating fish too: brown trout, rainbow trout, tuna (eels), snapper, heaps of types of tuna, blud cod, flounder, sole, mussels, paua (abalonie), haupuku (groper), kahawai, salmon, crays (lobsters) Tarakihi, trevally, kingfish.....
>>
>>883654
As an ausfag, I'm became quite jealous of NZ when i started getting into firearms and hunting
>>
>>882228
Not Spanish, but British.

Why shoot song thrush?
>>
>>883862
If only NZ was a bit warmer.
On the bright side, harvest is just around the corner, prime time for pig hunting coming up.
>>
File: 1474650385198.jpg (104KB, 872x685px) Image search: [Google]
1474650385198.jpg
104KB, 872x685px
>>877240
Says the guy who eats tortured caged factory farmed meat.

Kill yourself you troll retard.
>>
>>883896
It's legal here
>>
>>880154
If you have an optical on your rifle leave it outdoors overnight. If you take a gun that's been indoors where it's warm then take it to freezer temps it gets foggy. I'm not talking about fog getting inside a cheap optic, the condensation builds up on exterior of the gun. I've even seen it freeze on the barrel.
>>
File: WGI_0257.jpg (825KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
WGI_0257.jpg
825KB, 2272x1704px
Only legal buck I've caught on camera this year.
>>
>>884164
That's some fast headbanging in the back
>>
>>883928
I live in Tasmania, so I don't mind the cold
>>
>>884159
Yes, but is it tasty or a pest?

Im not a hippy, just curious
>>
>>884896
Just tasty, nice gamey, strong taste
>>
>>877179
seems kind of small, no?
>>
Compound bows are for faggots who don't actually like archery and are just in it for the better seasons.
>>
I have a single-barrel, 20 gauge that my dad got for me when I was little. If I load it with slugs, can it take a deer?
>>
>>885086
Yes, I could only shoot bulls with 5 or less points on its antler. So I shot one with 4 points. This was a young bull, weighed 220 kg.
>>
>>885147
Sure.
>>
>>885105
Being an elitist prick doesn't make you a good outdoorsman anon, it just makes you a prick.
>>
>>883198
Aye a fellow utas Hobart hunter. Why can't bowhunting be legal in Tas
>>
>>877383
Do you ever feel bad for taking birds in trees or on the ground? Sometimes in the Superior National Forest it's so thick I can't swing my gun. Always feel a little guilty as well when road hunting on logging trails. I can't remember the rules about how far away you need to be from vehicles or roads from when I took hunter safety
>>
>>877174
>where/what
Nothing and nowhere

>new gear
None.

>Success
Ha, no.

I want to get into bow hunting because in my state it is either bow, muzzle-loader, or shotgun. Muzzle-loaders are gay and I don't like shooting shotguns.
>inb4 to weak for recoil
I have a nugget.

Anyway, bow hunting is the longest season but the issue is that I have no idea how to get started. Much less what to do with the durr after killing it. Can't "just watch a video!" for various reasons.

I'm in Iowa if there are other hunting anons. I know I've seen a couple in other threads.
>>
>>883194
>Down south around the Huon Valley.

What's it like down that way? I live in Queensland and thinking of eyeing off a move there in about 2-4 years.
>>
>>880301
Think economics. The firearm/bow will be a significant upfront cost, however it will usually be a one time thing. After that it's the stuff you have to constantly pay for, like gas or batteries. As time goes on and you kill more deer, your savings will rise until you come out to a net profit. Which is assuming you don't come out to a net profit your first year hunting. IIRC I did the math and if I ignored the law about how much meat I'm allowed to have in my freezer, I'd only have to kill four deer to net a profit. This is after the total cost of buying a bow, arrows, tree stand, a couple cameras, batteries, and clothing. I admit I didn't consider fuel costs, but since I don't have to travel far and have other factors reducing my fuel costs, I figured it would be a non-issue.

>>880925
Anything 200 yrds or in you should be fine as long as shot placement is good. Personally I can't legally hunt with a rifle, but from what I know from other hunters, you probably aren't going to make a 200 yard shot. It'll most likely be 100 or much closer.

>>883414
Aren't moose the better part of a ton? I can carry a lot, but I don't think I can drag 1,000+ lbs by myself.

>>885105
Where do you live that compound is its own special season?
>>
>>885344
>>885452
So what, some fat fuck in the south armed with the latest and greatest vertical crossbow hunting deer from a tree stand over a pile of corn deserves the same respect as someone hunting deer from the ground with a self bow? They're equals as sportsmen?

I don't consider myself an elitist, I just think that allowing compounds during archery season is self-defeating. Decades ago when archery seasons were first introduced that might not have been the case, but contemporary compounds are as deadly and as easy to use as rifles or crossbows for all intents and purposes out to 50 or so yards.
>>
>>878969
You can hunt dear with shotgun and rifle for the first week after thanksgiving. Only rifles you can use are ones chambered in straight walled cartridges.
>>
>>885508
>muh respect
>muh skill
Oh fuck off you fedora loving neckbeard. I use a compound because it is illegal for me to use a rifle to kill a damn deer. All I care about is getting food in my fridge in the cheapest manner possible. Therefore I will use equipment that enhances my odds of success.
>>
>>885636
>Oh fuck off you fedora loving neckbeard. I use a compound because it is illegal for me to use a rifle to kill a damn deer.
That's different. You don't have a choice and you also don't make the pretense of being an archer, just someone who wants to put a durr in the freezer.
>>
>>877235

Because hunting is far superior up north in my opinion.

You can hunt all of the aforementioned species you just mentioned, plus:

>elk
>moose
>pronghorn
>duck
>geese
>grouse/pheasant/partridge
>turkey

Personally I like freshwater fishing more in northern states too. There's more to catch than besides largemouth bass/catfish/sunfish. Pike/musky, walleye/perch, trout and salmon are fun to catch, which you'll rarely find down south.
>>
>>885737
Shhh. There are already enough Dixieshits moving north.
>>
>>885451
I love it. People are friendly for the most part, heaps /out/ stuff to do. It depends what you are after and all that sort of stuff.
>>
>>885508
I doubt you've ever been bow hunting, I can guarantee you it's much more difficult to use any type of bow compared to a firearm or crossbow.
Compounds aid with shooting and aiming sure, the hard part is all the extra movement you need to do in the process of it, and tricking game when it's that close to you.
>>
>>885398
You can shoot them off of ATVs now. The DNR basically went with the logic that if they're going to stand there and get shot, they're not making it through winter anyways.
>>
File: 1396628046583.jpg (11KB, 285x214px) Image search: [Google]
1396628046583.jpg
11KB, 285x214px
Been having shit seasons for years but I met my daily grouse quota yesterday.

>mfw
>>
>>885385

Probs because it might hurt animal rights activists feelings.
>>
>>885508
What about this situation? Me spending 1 week on public land stalking with a rifle, or the fat bastard hunting over corn with a bow?
>>
Shot these hunting in Montana with my dad a week ago or so.

Best mule deer I've ever shot and a hell of a way to come back to hunting.
>>
I really need someone to show me how to really hunt. I've got a bow and I've done my hunters ed class, I just don't know what I'll do after actually killing the deer.

50010 area
>>
File: IMG_20161105_142313.jpg (3MB, 4409x2724px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161105_142313.jpg
3MB, 4409x2724px
Opening day of TN muzzleloader season
>>
WOOOOO FUCKING KANSAS
>>
Camouflage for hunting is stupid and anyone who buys it should be severely beaten for their stupidity.
>>
>>891269
That's why I wear flannel
>>
I've never been hunting before, but there is a good chance I'll be getting a gun soon and I'd like to give it a go. What kind of game is best to hunt for a beginner. I'm in NC if that helps answer the question.
>>
>>882430
MMMyyy nigggahhhh

336w/3030 masterace
>>
>>892064
Everyone I know started with white tailed deer. Have fun friend
>>
File: 20161110_154640.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_154640.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>877174
>>
>>877815
Yeah, here in South Texas, Rabbit and squirrel are never out of season. And, from December 17 onward (I think) dove and deer are both in season. In addition, to the perpetually open season on Javelina.

I feel like I'd like to start hunting somewhere other than Texas, though, if only to get different game.
>>
File: IMG_20161111_170235.jpg (4MB, 2859x2859px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_170235.jpg
4MB, 2859x2859px
First Grouse of the Day
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>892653

same. what are you gonna do with yours?
>>
>>877174
Going hunting for the first time in my life tomorrow, 22 years old but family were very antigun and bowhunting is illegal in Ireland.

I'm going for boar with some hunters using shotguns.

inb4 I get gored by pumba and taken up the ass deliverance style.
>>
>>892773
Pumba is a warthog though...
>>
>>892781
so's ya mum
>>
>>892781
You must be a seasoned hunter.
>>
File: devincry.png (153KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
devincry.png
153KB, 500x277px
I took my second deer this year.

Had an antlerless tag, but wanted a buck. I live in Ontario so it's 1 deer.

>In the bush, see a large deer come into clear
>In heat of moment, convince myself I saw antlers and shoot
>Its a doe, drops to ground-- Fawn steps into view and stares at mom
>being emotional fag I am, get up and scream at it to spook it away

When I was removing guts, it was still producing milk. Welp, made an orphan that day.

I just tell people I got a deer and have been eating well. I feel like such a shit head and know I did everything wrong. Learning opportunity, won't make that mistake next year.
>>
>>894928
Would have been kinder to shoot the fawn desu
>>
File: IMG_20161102_111600.png (143KB, 619x361px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161102_111600.png
143KB, 619x361px
Anyone know know a good spot for deer in Oakland county, michigan? Or am I going to have to break out the feeder?
>>
>>889039
Holy shit another person in Ames, what's up friend? I unfortunately can't help you as I've never shot a durr.
>>
>>877279
No supermarkets in Alaska nigger
>>
>>894928
Doesn't matter, either the fawn is big enough to survive on its own, or it would have died during winter anyways.
>>
>>891269
>never hunted gobblers
It helps immensely when bow hunting bear/deer as well.
>>
>>895116
Yeah, I have yet to actually go hunting and maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like best way to proceed ethically speaking.
>>895260
Yes there are faggot.
>>
>>895260
Suburban 20 year old kid from north. Chicago suburbs

Where can I get a shit ton of venison?
Don't own guns, last time I ever shot a gun, I was 12.

I vividly hate deer,as creatures. They just absouloutly wreck the environment, although they do taste good. If this meme on 100s of lbs of deer meat for only $50 I want in. I NEED retarded amounts of meat just because.

I would shoot the deer myself, but I don't own guns, I think they're great, but I just feel that if I owned one, I'd probably just end up using it on myself during a low point in life, and that certainly isn't a good way to go. Maybe later on in life when things are a bit more stable.
>>
>>895269
I'm sometimes suicidal but I don't get too worried about shooting myself because A. I don't want to be another anti-gun statistics and B. I'm afraid of that split second of pain before death.
>>
File: baitforthebaitgod.jpg (127KB, 1000x955px) Image search: [Google]
baitforthebaitgod.jpg
127KB, 1000x955px
>>877197
>>
>>892718
i ate it
>>
>>877197
>Finding the trails
>Hiding your presence
>Laying in wait
>Killing the fucker
>Turning it's heart, lungs, stomach, small intestines into tasty soup
>Enough meat for the winter
>$180 for the hide

I know its a troll but man I really do fucking feel manly after a good hunt.
>>
>>877174
>>
>>877179
>Awesome hobby.
>>
>>895457
>>895458
oh look, this schizo nigger is back.

don't you have a job or something to do? oh, who am i kidding?
>>
File: Hunting Quotes.jpg (45KB, 400x158px) Image search: [Google]
Hunting Quotes.jpg
45KB, 400x158px
>>877256
>>
>>895458
Nope. The thrill is from adrenaline and dopamine that only comes from the excitement of knowing you are about to kill. I can sit there with a camera and take pictures of animals but would get nothing from it.

Also hunters pay for pretty much all animal preservation and park services. All the money we spend on licenses/tags goes right to that.

Personally hunting isn't a hobby for me. I do it twice a year to put food in my freezer. I also shoot pest animals like crow/moles/starlings/coyote. Those animals ruin agriculture.
>>
>>895319
>>
>>895466
>>895464
>>895458
>>895457
Absolutely liberal.

I bet you eat meat too.
>>
File: Tiger Shark BiteDevlog3001.jpg (665KB, 1116x1485px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger Shark BiteDevlog3001.jpg
665KB, 1116x1485px
>>877577
>>
>>877824
>>
>>878851
>>
File: anti hunting.jpg (100KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
anti hunting.jpg
100KB, 500x500px
>>
>>
File: Anti Hunting Quotes_ QuotesGram.jpg (24KB, 300x234px) Image search: [Google]
Anti Hunting Quotes_ QuotesGram.jpg
24KB, 300x234px
>>
File: Hunting Fun _ lol-rofl.jpg (97KB, 531x822px) Image search: [Google]
Hunting Fun _ lol-rofl.jpg
97KB, 531x822px
>>
>>895475
>>895473
>>895472
>>895471
>>895470
>>895469
>>895466
>>895464
>>895458
>>895457
Mods pls banerino
>>
>>877174
Same place I hunt every year. My uncles land in N.E. WI
>>
>>895764
SW WI for me.

Do you have a wolf problem up there? I've heard there is... but thats 2nd and 3rd hand. Just curious as there seems to be a lot of yelling about it.

Oh, and good luck Saturday.
>>
File: IMAG0311.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0311.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Catskill Mountains in NY, here. I hunt a small piece of private land and the immense acreage if state land me.
Saturday is my opening day for deer.
But I've done some squirrel, rabbit, and turkey hunting so far this season.
Haven't had much luck this year, but my little brother got lucky on our youth hunt weekend and shot this 8pt on our property.
>>
>>889339
I'm moving from NY to TN this upcoming summer. How's the hunting down there?
>>
File: 20161118_005725.jpg (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20161118_005725.jpg
3MB, 1440x2560px
Arkansas.
Public land.
8 miles in.
1st public land buck.
>>
>>895779
seems like a woodland negro was about to take off with your kill. good thing you caught it in the act.
>>
>>895288
True, any good story's though on what people have done with all that meat though?

Not sure someone can do an entire diet of nothing but deer meat, also, what risks does deer meat have? Is it more prone to disease?

I'm gonna say 99/100 it's just me being a little down in the dumps, being depressed and being suicidal are two different things. I honestly think I'm more depressed if anything. Having 0 friends and not ever getting laid takes its toll from time to time, but the way I see it I could be worse, could be an unkempt manchild that does nothing but look at anime, I barely even look at anime let alone obsess with Japan. Hell I think it's kind of disturbing, and it's probably the reason Japan has so many suicides. Nothing manly in Japan so men feel unwanted/unloved in society, and they want a way out.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (125KB, 1000x723px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
125KB, 1000x723px
Any advice for tracking?

Recently started out, but struggling a bit still.

Besides studying animal behavior, is there any sources that might show for example:

Impression on different soils
Effect sun, moisture and time has on tracks
Foliage disturbance
Etc.
>>
>>877174
>Settling into cabin inna woods of Maine
>Hop into ATVs with old neighbors for "partridge hunting"
>Everyone uses 12 gauge shotgun
>Everyone blasts 3/4 lb birds from 10-15 feet
>Half the birds get obliterated
>Driver stops to take a piss, notice bird 50 up road
>Say 'i'll get it'
>"Too far, you got to sneak up on 'em" while he tries to hand me his 12 guage
>plink it dead off hand with my Neos .22 pistol
>Old guy looks at me like he just witnessed a miracle
>Proceed to take 3 more the exact same way in under half an hour
>Literally no one thought to try using a .22
>Almost everyone thinks it is illegal because no one does it
>Perfectly legal, even call the wardens office
>MFW 2 weeks later half of Jackman is hunting them with .22s

Why doesn't anyone else think of this? It is moronic to blast a bird that small with a $0.50-$0.75 shell for a few ounces of meat.

Kinda late in the season but next year i think i'm going out with a kayak and going after ducks with a .22, that is legal too as far as anyone can tell.
>>
>>896349
Rednecks gonna redneck.
>Whadda ya mean you can hunt birds without a shotgun? I'll believe it when I see it.
>>
File: 1119.jpg (136KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1119.jpg
136KB, 960x540px
Not a bad start to rifle season here in TN
>>
File: IMG_0883.jpg (654KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0883.jpg
654KB, 1200x1600px
>hi guys
>>
>>896349
Are you in the US? Ducks are federally regulated and must be hunted with a shotgun no greater than Guage 10 and must be plugged to hold no more than 3 shells.
>>
>>892166
where you hunting?
>>
>mfw im missing the first weekend of rifle deer cause of flu.
>mfw friend got a 5x5 buck on my land.

That should have been my deer...
>>
>>896349
I use a twelve for bird hunting and rarely have an issue, use an IC choke.
I do carry a .22 pistol though, it's great fun popping a grouse or a rabbit with one when I can.
>>
Did some backpack hunting earlier this week wearing my cotton camo clothing. It just isn't working out for me. Typically when backpacking I wear synthetics but I don't have any synthetic camo. Looking online and I'm not finding many options. Anyone wanna give me ideas? Would prefer some generic type pattern than traditional hunting patterns like Realtree or mossy oak.
>>
File: omar-mateen.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
omar-mateen.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>877815
>hunting in LA

Going shooting in LA? Is Orlando overhunted?
>>
File: Resized_20160824_183623.jpg (251KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160824_183623.jpg
251KB, 1080x1920px
Got my hunting permit (sweden) and bought my first rifle (CZ550, added a bushnell trophy 2-3x33 scope) in may, just in time for me joining the army. Only get the weekends of, so Ive only managed to bag a boar so far. Looking forward to 2017, mamy more chances to hunt than 2016 for me.
>>
>>877197
LOOOOOOL
>>
>>877250
any thoughts on eating possum? I have had to relocate about 6 from under my house this summer.
>inb4 they eat garbage
i am aware. hate to kill them without making use of it
>>
File: P1100389.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
P1100389.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
tourists keep out REEEEEEE
>>
>>897669
hunting seasons are for plebs
>>
>>897669
You'd think DOC would have someone proof read those signs.
>Operations are
>Operation is
>>
Does South Florida have any good hunting? Other than hogs.

I read that you should only take small game after the first frost but we don't even get a frost every year.
>>
>>897669

>normies can you please stop paying for the land on which we congregate. Please mommie bucks wont cover my license for the season.
>>
>>898587
oh yeah, faggot. i'm sure you pay a lot for conservation of land considering the amount of funds that DNR gets from taxes is minuscule, not to mention that you're probably a welfare nigger to boot.
>>
File: 20161122_192233.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_192233.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Shot a doe on private land at 5:15. Going out of town tomorrow for thanksgiving early, then hunting public land on Thursday. Got it on ice now. Gonna start packaging and freezing now. Gonna be drinking and checking in occasionally.

BTW this Tops Bob was shit at skinning compared to a mora.
>>
>>898593
>compared to a mora.
Shhh. Don't let the resident knife snobs hear you say that.
>>
>>898602
Not a nock to the Bob, I thought with the weight it would be descent at skinning but it's just too thick. I'll be taking a mora and the havalon with me backpack hunting on Thursday.
>>
>>878898
>>879152
>>879289
>>879743
lol every thing that touches Australia becomes invasive or feral I swear I can put one butterfly in Australia and would out compete all the native species.
>>
>>897679
my sling covers the s in operations you muppet
>>
>>898587
>tourists paying for the upkeep of the NZ conservation estate other than the Great Walks and huts related

faggot
>>
>>895764
Also in NE WI. Any luck so far anon?
>>
>>898631
kek underrated
>>
>>889039

It's easier than you'd think anon.

Make sure you have a good knife but not too big. A mora or any blade the width of your palm will do. Maybe bring a steel or some other means of sharpening or touching it up as you go.

Check YouTube for field dressing videos. Steven Rinella has some good ones.

As for butchering you can either find a local butcher who processes game meat or do it yourself.

DIY is not hard either. Skin it. Then Basically cut the muscles away from the bones as cleanly as you can. Cut away any fat, damaged meat or silver skin.

Big pieces cut into steaks, roasts or stew meat. Smaller pieces cut into cubes about 1-2" on a side and grind them.

Easy. A bit of work but very instructive. Part of the experience is turning the animal into useful cuts of meat. Shame to miss out on that.
>>
>>894928

I did the same thing this year with my first deer anon. Except she had four fawns. Two even ran right up to me after I shot their mom. It was pretty brutal. Quad-Bambi.

Later while we were butchering it we squirted my buddies dog with deer milk.

Lessons learned. Won't do that again. Enjoy and respect the meat, and do better next time. All you can do.
>>
>>889039
the only way to learn is to do. everyone has a rough first couple of goes and ye get better with every animal ya skin gut and butcher. youtube is your friend. there are thousands of different methods but they are all basically the same. I say worry more about finding an animal to shoot before yo worry about processing. once its down you are forced to learn how to do it. dont let not knowing what you are doing put you off, every time you do it from then on you will be getting better
>>
>>877254
Has never met a curly headed Cajun bitch that's bad as a Puerto Rican.
>>
>>877286
I'd think it's like missippi. I live an hour from NOLA And 350 a month for welfare section 8 poverty to 1000 monthly for middle class
>>
File: women_laughing33.jpg (56KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
women_laughing33.jpg
56KB, 460x288px
>>877240
>And people that kill animals for fun are mentally deficient and / or have small penises.
>being this salty
Grow up nigger
>>
I'm an Aussie gal but would LOVE to experience a good hunting trip in the US! Our vermin is the common rabbit, foxes, pigs & Roos.. we r luckily enough to own a few hundred acres with some great spots to go for a shoot.. ps to all the haters, these animals ruin our dams, fences & property!! Plus we always use what is hunted
>>
File: 1472763936487.jpg (71KB, 550x365px) Image search: [Google]
1472763936487.jpg
71KB, 550x365px
>Louisiana
>Spend Thanksgiving afternoon to Sunday afternoon at hunting camp, hunting every morning and evening
>Didn't see a single buck (camp rules are 4-points or better and no does)
>Fish weren't even biting much
fcuk

Did have a bit of a weird situation though
>Another guy there has a sick squirrel wander out from behind his camp on Friday, thing was barely moving and was infested with maggots
>He gets his pistol to put it down, but after the 4th .22 round it decides to sort of run up a tree
>Guy grabs his .270 and shoots it, it manages to crawl another 10 feet up the tree before kicking the bucket
>Thing didn't even bleed after being shot 5 times
>Next day, a sick armadillo wanders out from behind his building again
>Thing was dragging part of its face along, and was dragging itself in circles
>Take out my pistol to put it down
>Standing over it, put a 9mm round right between its front shoulders
>Starts waddling away, put 2 more rounds in its head
>And a 4th round where I thought its heart would be
>Rounds 5-9 were less precise but all hit their mark (A whopping 2 feet away)
>Perplexed I walk over to grab my rifle, by the time I walk back it's escaped and end up tracking down where it died about 150 feet away
>Not a single drop of blood to be found, save a few drops directly around the perforations in the thing
I just
I don't understand
>>
>>902132
Got to camp rules and said "that's a shitty camp"....and then it took a nose dive.

Fuck that camp.
>>
File: hunting neighbor.jpg (164KB, 714x960px) Image search: [Google]
hunting neighbor.jpg
164KB, 714x960px
My neighbor shot this on my land. I let her and her husband hunt on my land this year.

The one year I miss hunting season due to work and this shit happened. His head would of been great on my wall.
>>
File: IMG_0958.jpg (627KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0958.jpg
627KB, 960x1280px
Lazy afternoon smashing a few ducks with the 12g
>>
>>902462
how much meat per duck you get, like weight wise?
>>
>>895471
>Ricky Gervais
>eats meat
>still whines about hunting
The pinnacle of stupidity.
>>
>>902132
>spook detected

Seriously, I'm spooked anon.
>>
First time hunter. Can I buy my and tags in a county I don't live in? Like, can I go to another part of the state and buy my shit?

Also, I literally completed the online hunters safety course today. Is that gonna be a problem if I want to hunt tomorrow? I literally knew all of the material, I just never took a formal course.
>>
>>904844
I'm an Iowan hunting in a different part of Iowa, by the way.
>>
>>904844
>>904847
I figured it out for myself. Turns out I'm a retard.
>>
>>903595
Fuck all really I just breast them and get maybe 100gram fillets, key is to shoot fuckloads, that was 20 ducks from around 1.5hours of shooting, and im far from a good shot, it was my 2nd ever duck hunt.
>>
File: 1480790867613401562062.jpg (3MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
1480790867613401562062.jpg
3MB, 3006x5344px
Hey /out/. /k/ommando here. Legit thread. Let me ask you all a couple of of questions since I'm super serious about getting into hunting next deer season (Ohio) and wanted to know...

1.) When's the best time to pounce on hunting related gear? Holiday sales or post season clearance?

2.) What's the bare minimum I need to hunt? Camo, and means of throwing a projectile? Are blinds / stands necessary or just heavily recommended?

I'm just planning on going after doe for now as a way of dipping my toes and getting some meat in the freezer, so I figure game cameras are not super important since I'm not trying to locate and then understand some big bruiser buck.

Also. Gun season if that matters. I'd only be interested in bows if they were to ever allow for airbows.
>>
>>882430
Just got me a Winchester 94 30-30. Going to be going out soon with it. Really excited. So far casually shooting with in for practice has been a blast.
>>
>>905135
Bro, you've gotta go after those leg quarters. When they're cooked right, they're fucking delicious.
>>
File: Buck.png (3MB, 1792x880px) Image search: [Google]
Buck.png
3MB, 1792x880px
Shot 3 deer this year with my AR-15 (my buck in pic). 2 headshots and 1 neck shot. I have a fore-grip so I can hold it quite steady making ethical shot placement phenomenal. But my brother...
>Hunting during rifle season with little bro
>Bro has Winchester .270 with buttstock shell holder full of spare ammo (8 rounds or so)
>Glock 10mm strapped to chest with 2 spare magazines
>He's going to war
>We start on opposing sides of property
>Walking slowly because I enjoy ambushing and shooting in head
>Get to thick willows
>Fuck it. Can't be silent through this. Walk normally through to flush deer out
>Sounds of deer getting the fuck out EVERYWHERE
>2 min later, still walking through willows jam packed with deer
>BOOM
>Think, "OK he got one"
>BOOM
Now at this point you should know that he has a history of shooting ungulates in the ass.
>BOOM
>BOOM
>BOOM
>After the war has ended, I climb out of my bunker and try to find brother
>Find him and we start tracking the blood trail
>Find deer
>Ass hit 3 times
>Lower back hit twice
>No vitals hit
Post necropsy, we determined that the buck died from bleeding out through it's bullet-riddled ass.

TL;DR
Take your time and take a well-placed shot, for the sake of the game.
>>
File: $_27.jpg (17KB, 270x480px) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
17KB, 270x480px
Need some /out/ help

Always lived in U.S. rifle hunting there. I moved to Canada and don't have a P.A.L. yet so no rifle hunting.
As a result I figured I'd go bow hunting for bear this spring, never been a bowhunter.
Pic related is available, a Mission Venture compound that can be set from 35lbs to 70lbs (80kg-155kg).

This bow, a soft case,G5 Broadhead, Quiver, and Trigger, for $300 CAD ($226 USD)

Is this a good hunting bow and a good price?

Any recommendations or advice from bow hunters?
>>
>>905423
>1.) When's the best time to pounce on hunting related gear? Holiday sales or post season clearance?
You will get similar deals year round. Pre-holidays they do sales, cyber monday, black friday, etc, but they have things like the bargain cave all the time.

>2.) What's the bare minimum I need to hunt? Camo, and means of throwing a projectile? Are blinds / stands necessary or just heavily recommended?
You need neither a stand or blind. Spot and stalk is more common than either. You don't need camo either. You will need your blaze orange hat and vest though. (Deer are colourblind) I depends on what kind of hunting you want to do, but you can get by with a rifle, ammo, good knife, maybe small bone saw, binoculars, and a backpack to hold everything in. (If there's a chance you could get lost invest in a satellite device, even just a radio beacon)

You don't need a bunch of shit. My dad has been deer hunting forever and all he takes is a gun, a pair of old carhart coveralls, and a good knife with a skinning hook.
>>
>>906837
Sounds good. I'm glad to hear I don't have to bother hiking about, putting up, or keeping track of stands / blinds. I've already got the binoculars so it sounds like I just need to pick a rifle and get a good field-dressing / outdoors-man knife set.
>>
>>906991
Yeah, that's really all you'll need; especially if you're just looking for an easy no-fuss freezer doe.
Good luck
>>
>>906829
don't go below a 460grain arrow.
>>
>>898587
>bucks wont cover my license for the season

>NZ

HAHAHA
>>
>>877230
Paso Robles is a good place from what i hear. Take a semi, take a side arm
>>
>>907039
30 yard shot is tough to fuck up, plebe.
>>
>>907640
Open site shotgun vs. scoped 5.56 @ 30 yards? I'll take the 30 yard shot to the head with my 5.56 10/10 times because I'm confident through hours of practice. I'll drop a deer in it's tracks. Normal faggots like you can follow blood trails to dead deer.
>>
>>907656
>>907640
Blood trails to dead/wounded dear.
>>
>>907656
>head shot on a deer
You kids play too much video games these days. Do you even know where the heart is?
>>
>>906829

Start target shooting now

get to 3 inch groups at 50 feet minimum for bears

get good shafts and bring good boots

Have a backup shotgun from a friend, preferably with buckshot and slugs loaded alternately.

I use a Mission Craze and it was like $500 new, with a sight and shafts and I've never had trouble bagging deer on the west coast, but they're everywhere.
>>
>>902462
Not a single mallard or woody? If they aren't part of the mix, I'm passing.
>>
File: phezzies.jpg (845KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
phezzies.jpg
845KB, 2048x1536px
>>877174
Pheasant out in SD.
>>
>>907842
I lost it when I saw the dogs face blurred
>>
>>907842
>second from right
>clearly wearing a terrorist scarf

Does he kill pheasants for food or for sins against Allah (pbuh)?
>>
>>907802
Shoveler
Grey teal
Chestnut teal
Whistler
Woodies
Blackies
Mountain duck
Hardhead all shot over the two days, pic related was one hunt of four
>>
Where can I go turkey hunting in MN if anyone knows? Alternatively how does hunting on public land work? I've never done it before.

And finally any advice on removing turks?
>>
>>908310
Raid works pretty well.
>>
Shot this blacktail during the high buck hunt.
.308 at about 50 yards dropped him where he stood with a heart/lung shot. The pack out by myself sucked a fatty.
>>
File: durrr.jpg (249KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
durrr.jpg
249KB, 1944x2592px
>>908428
DURRR
>>
File: 1469548579820.png (230KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
1469548579820.png
230KB, 480x368px
>>908430
>mfw people hunt north american white tail with anything but 30-30 and a Winchester 94
>>
>>908432
>post clearly states blacktail.

You're one of those snobby faggot hunters who scoffs at anybody who doesn't do it exactly how you think it should be done.

Nobody likes you or cares what you think.

I'm a better hunter than you with my non traditional gear. Deal with it.
>>
File: xEewvER.jpg (167KB, 620x800px) Image search: [Google]
xEewvER.jpg
167KB, 620x800px
>>908436
It's cool my man, you're assblasted that you knows you don't even give the deer a sporting chance. It takes you high tech gear and $500+ dollar glass to replace skill.
>>
File: 1479011639374.gif (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479011639374.gif
11KB, 500x500px
>>908440
Holy shit check out this faggot
>>
File: 1427737430016.jpg (287KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1427737430016.jpg
287KB, 1600x1200px
>>908462
Can't even come up with a good argument he's so rump roused. You can do your best to hide it, but I'm sure you know that you're just compensating for how much you succ. :^)
>>
>>908472
I'm not the dude your arguing with yet I still think you are a faggot.
>>
>>908440
Sporting chance...hiking for miles into the high country in shit weather and putting a successful stalk on a blacktail buck isn't sporting? You do know blacktail bucks are considered one of the most elusive of deer?

I actually bought the cheapest model 308 I was looking for and traded for a used optic. Nice try though. Retard.
>>
File: tactical freedom 3.png (163KB, 542x392px) Image search: [Google]
tactical freedom 3.png
163KB, 542x392px
>>897021
that really fuckin sucks
>>
File: muh-animals.png (508KB, 497x613px) Image search: [Google]
muh-animals.png
508KB, 497x613px
>mfw my wife's retired uncle hunts exotic game in Africa, multiple times a year
>mfw he killed a giraffe this summer

Even though they raise these things in game preserves to be hunted (thus actually perpetuating the species) people still bitch and moan about the poor cute cuddly animals.
>>
>>908869
If people cared about African animals they'd stop subsidizing Africans.
>>
>>908869
>xander zone
>>
>>908869
>his face when
>>
File: Model94-600-4.jpg (123KB, 600x701px) Image search: [Google]
Model94-600-4.jpg
123KB, 600x701px
>>908432
>>
File: IMG_20161208_204813-1.jpg (932KB, 797x2117px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161208_204813-1.jpg
932KB, 797x2117px
Figure this would be a good place to ask; just skinned my first coyote and need to tan the pelt so it's wearable. Read I should salt, flesh, salt, degrease, pickle, flesh, neutralize, wash, oil, mount and break. Do I really need to degrease? Anyone have "recipes" /ratios for pickle /neutralizer? What oils has anyone tanned with that worked best? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>909488
I have never "degreased."
1.) Preflesh, remove all large cunks of fat and meat, get skin side down to a nice bluish-white sheen
2.) Turn inside out including ears (if you have face left on)
3.) Use solar salt, lay pelt flat cover entire pelt on skin side, let it sit for a couple days at least
4.) Remove and rehydrate in a bucket using room temp water, drop of lysol 3 and 1, drop of dawn soap, and whatever pickling solution you have decided to go with (I use van dykes crystals, the amount of which depends on how much water you used, just follow directions)
5.) Remove and clean/rinse thoroughly with room temp running sink water and a drop of Mane N' Tail shampoo
6.) Flesh thoroughly (if you missed any during preflesh)
7.) Mount? (This sounds like taxidermy not tanning), spray on any hair oil (mane n' tail also makes one) brush through

You're done
>>
>>909515
Can you detail your pickling solution for me, or is it just the crystals and water? I had read about vinegar solutions. As far as "mounting" I guess I meant stretching? And you don't use any tanning oil on the hide?
Sorry if any of these seem like obvious questions. Just really don't want to mess up my pelt!
>>
>>909532
I'm a taxidermist not a tanner, but I have just preserved lots of furs for people and that's the process I use. I've never had any problems. The pickling ratio is 3-4 fluid oz per gallon of salt water, probaby 3 or 4 gallons for a full coyote pelt.

Tanning oil is supposed to nake the skin softer, but I don't think it's necessary. The pelt will already be soft and pliable and the the mane n tail will maintain softness and fur sheen (as well as deodorize)

There will be mild shrinkage, practically unnoticeable, but you can stretch it to work that back out if you want.
>>
>>909536
Do you break it, or shampoo does all the softening required? And do the salt, lysol and soap all together constitute the pickling solution?
>>
>>909546
As far as "breaking" it, just pickling it will rehydrate and soften it. If it was left for weeks on the solar salt, it will be hard as a board and need breaking, by stirring and pounding while pickling and yes, the soap, lysol, salt water, and van-dyke's crystals, are the pickle. You don't even absolutely have to have the crystals but I do use them becayse they are cheap and it can't hurt.
>>
>>909554
Thank you so much! Should I post pics when it's done, credit to anonymous 4chan taxidermy guy for giving me my process?
>>
>>909558
Definitely post pics, no credit needed, and good luck.
>>
>>909605
Thought of one more question - I'm currently in the middle of nowhere and car just shat, making supply runs a bit of a hassle. Taking stock of supplies on hand, I though I'd ask, what do you think of pickling in salt water and vinegar?
>>
>>909671
I have never used vinegar, but it's an antibacterial and kills ordors, so it would probably work fine. Problem is that it's acidic so you'll want to make sure you get the mixture right; too acidic and you run a risk of hair loss.
>>
>>898573
Nobody?
>>
Anyone here hunt ptarmigans?
>>
>>910151
I don't know anything about Florida but I was always taught that the rule for small game was any month that has the letter "R" in it. (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec)
May-Aug are too hot and the risk of bugs, tulerimia, fungi, etc, are too high
>>
>>909707
Me again. If you don't flesh a hide thoroughly enough what happens? Google doesn't like how specific my question is.
>>
>>911856
It stinks, oils leak out into the fur, in summer flies will be all over it laying eggs, face and edges will curl and warp, etc.

Fleshing is a pain but necessary
>>
>>912109
Any tips for the face? The body was just time consuming, the face felt impossible with its weird countours and squishy bits.
Rookie thought here... I preserve things (usually feet) in salt. Would it be possible to get the body soft and loose, then just tuck the whole thing away with the head buried in salt for a couple months if I'm afraid I just can't get the gunk off?
>>
>>912189
Salt or other dry preservatives like borax won't cut very deep into fat or meat. They will preserve the surface but inside will still be rotting flesh and fat, basically a beef jerky.
Take a 2×4 or any board, sand down the hard edges (making a poor man's fleshing board) put the face on it, turn out the lips (you will notice their is a fold in them use knife to open this and lay everything flat) and use a spoon and wire brush to scrape down the flesh and fat off the face.
If you leave it there for 2 months the pelt will be quite stiff, but you can loosen it back up with the pickle we discussed earlier.
It isn't absolutely necessary that you completely flesh out the face, but if you don't you will get foul odor, insects, bacteria laden oil seepage, possible shrinkage and warping, etc.

If you tear a hole anywhere while fleshing, just cut it out into an American football shape (pointed oval I guess?) and stitch it up with fishing line or dental floss. The hair on the other side will cover these corrections once brushed out.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.