[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shavehorse - tool for making handles, bows, spindles, etc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3033.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3033.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
A long time ago I asked some questions about shavehorses in general and was planning to make one suitable to keep outdoors.

This week I finally got around to building one. I bought the lumber months ago and when I brought it home I realized it was so wet with preservative it would twist up in no time, so I clamped them all together and let them dry for months. It's super simple, made out of PT 2x4s, deck screws, and a fence hinge. I think I put about $25 into this overall, half of that was for the galvanized hinge.

First I made the base. I just cut the studs with a miter saw, then planed the top a bit so that the top face was 90 degrees to the sides - I did this so I could have a flat reference so I could drill the pivot holes straight so that the arms wouldn't be all crooked and retarded.
>>
File: IMG_3037.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3037.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Then added the vise parts. I made it with adjustibility in mind because I had no idea what ergos I would prefer since I never even used or seen a shaving horse in person. All I had to go on were pictures on the internet.
>>
File: IMG_3039.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3039.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I turned the hinge pin on a lathe out of bodark which is a super duper durable and weatherproof wood.
>>
File: IMG_3041.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3041.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Made a seat out of scraps. Its a friction fit but can be moved down between the studs with some persuasion. While in use my fat ass keeps it in place and doesn't move at all.
>>
File: IMG_3042.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3042.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Finished.

The draw knife is a "James Swan Co" draw knife I found in a swap meet. I bought it because it was easy to see that the blade was laminated with the cutting edge forge welded behind soft steel like a Japanese chisel. It's some sort of superior quality for a vintage blade.

The shave horse gorilla grips the workpiece even though it only has 1:1 mechanical advantage. I was concerned I would need to move the pivot closer to the workpiece but that proved unnecessary.
>>
looks great, the seat is a nice touch
>>
>>858858
That looks really sweet. Nicely done. I'll have to build one myself when I have the space.
>>
Though I'd never use one nor desired one I can say it looks great. Nice work anon and I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>>/diy/
>>
>>858880
>>858889
>>859012
Much thanks. it was a lot of fun making it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.