[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 71

File: image.jpg (148KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 640x640px
#84-"Moving" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>855808

Still no time for fishin. I just want to get this move done with so I can relax again. Then maybe I will take a walk down the street and check out those canals. I'll probably try and get a bunch done today and just say "fuck it" and go out around sunset tonight for a couple hrs. But then tomorrow I have to grab the trailer from Uhaul and go balls out.

Pastebin and Imgur. Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
the experience I have with moving is TRY not to enjoy your life for the next week. Every time I've moved I end up dicking around and there are still 90 boxes in the living room 3 months later.

Better not head anywhere til everything put away, boyo.
>>
No bugger that as long as the boxes are somewhere dry you're set to go fishing
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Sometimes you just need to relax with a frosty beverage
>>
>>858368
That's a strange beer cozie
Is it custom?
>>
File: picicast14shimanoconquest2.jpg (46KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
picicast14shimanoconquest2.jpg
46KB, 400x267px
>>858341

Daily reminder that Shimano is ultimately the finest reel and rod manufacturer and if you buy anything else you are buying cheap poorfag chinese made shit
>>
>>858341
What's the fish in op pic?
>>
>>858388

Mahi Mahi
>>
>>858388
Mahimahi or dolphin depending on who is asked
>>
>>858345
It's straight, I'm moving like a mile away so tomorrow and Sunday I'm going to try to get all of the big stuff and all my shit over here and then if there is some little stuff left we can just take that by car throughout the week. Got my drums over here so far and the cable guy is workin on shit now. Then maybe I will try to get out fishin and then I'm going to change all the locks later tonight.
>>
>>858386
Daiwa is good as is penn
And okuma
>>
>>858386
How do I find Japanese-made Shimano reels? Everything I look at came out of Malaysia, Taiwan, and similar shitholes
>>
File: 1406906338010.jpg (242KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1406906338010.jpg
242KB, 1280x1280px
>>858393

>Diawa
>Okuma
>Penn

You can't buy a good Diawa without spending $299+. Okuma is the nigger of all baitcasters and Penn doesn't make anything worth a shit.
>>
>>858372
Shit, this is Virginia, that's what I caught him on
>>
>>858394

Ebay and Japanese online tackle shops.

You can get just about ANY japanese shimano reel here in the states. Calcuttas are your go too for japanese manufacturing, I have a Calcutta 50 conquest on its way right now and I own 2 others.
>>
>>858394

>parts made in Japan
>assembled in Malaysia

that really only applies to Shimano America's reels, and they are still all manufactured in Japan, just assembled in shitville. Better than manufactured and assembled in Chinaland where there are no standards set for quality.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>dat garage space tho

>>858394
Spend $1000, same way you get a European-made Abu.

>>858391
>>858389
Everybody calls em Dolphin down here.
>>
>>858395
My Penn longbeachs are holding up well, I even used to use one for surf casting, all the okuma gear I've handled seems nice and the gear I've got is great, and I'm considering buying another daiwa surf rod (not another beefstick but the next price bump up) and a sealinex20sha to bolt on to it
You're just a product fangirl fag who thinks brand loyalty is an important value and justify it by convincing yourself that everything else is crap
I'll admit that some of Penn's asian made shit isn't as nice as all american but its still pretty good shit that I wouldn't hesitate to bolt onto a rod
>>
>>858404
I actually agree. Any of the Pure Fishing reels, you could buy something really nice assembled in Korea for $300, or you could buy almost the exact same reel but assembled in Sweden or the US for $500. There's nothing inherently wrong with buying the stuff made in Asia, it's mostly the QC that suffers. So while 1/100,000 US made reels has a problem, maybe 1/10,000 Asian made reels will slip through with a problem. And if you end up with that one shitty reel out of 10,000 made, any reputable company will gladly fix it or send you a new one.

Shimano is a great brand, but it isn't the end-all of fishing reels. That's why other companies still exist because they put out a competitive product.
>>
File: 1397020416770.jpg (24KB, 387x353px) Image search: [Google]
1397020416770.jpg
24KB, 387x353px
>>858402

>abu

>not shit

I've fished Revos from 150-350 dollar range and they have all fallen short of all my shimano baitcasters.

Not only does Abu use cheap shit-ass bearings, but their gear systems are average at best. I've never picked up an Abu and said "wow". The only other baitcaster I'd give any credit to is the Diawa Zillion and Diawa Steez casters.
>>
>>858402
>Spend $1000, same way you get a European-made Abu.

lol, nah. my ambassador is made in Sweden and it was only like $40 more than the chink one.
>>858394
As for the Malaysian made shimanos, my curado has been amazing. Unless your a super try hard bass angler the Japanese made reels are all $300+ which is nutty for bass fishing. Salt water is a different story obviously
>>
>>858410

>>858394

My Stradic ci4+'s are made in Malaysia and I cannot even begin to explain how high quality they are made.

the drag system is so damn smooth and powerful that i've actually caught a 15lb carp on 4lb fluoro on one of my Stradic Ci4+ 1000's.

The drag systems are so nice that I often use that same reel to target smallmouth exclusively on ultralight gear.

I've caught thousands of fish on them and never had a single line snap while fighting fish.
>>
>>858412
the ci4 is the next reel on my list. everyone I know that has one loves it. supposedly the one of the most rock solid reels Shimano has ever made as far as build quality. What ratio did you get and rod do you have it paired with?
>>
>>858413

My Stradic 1000 is on a St. Croix Panfish 6'9 UL, very solid rod. Caught 15lb carp and 3lb smallies all day.

My 2500 Stradic is paired on a Walleye Series G loomis Walleye 7'1 ML.

Thinking about snagging a Shimano Sustain for a 7-8ft LRF type built for light action fishing as well, You can get a Sustain from Australia for the same price as a stradic ($220) instead of paying $320+ here.
>>
>>858414
oh, nvm. I though you were talking about the ci4 casting reel. Spending a lot on a spinning reel is honestly a meme imo. Only thing that improves is the drag and minor weight reduction. Im perfectly content with my $100 lews spinning reel
>>
>>858413

as for ratio, i believe they only come in 6:0:1
>>
>>858415

thats what I said until I actually bought one. I'd never buy anything less than a stradic ever again.
>>
>>858419
oh I believe it. I just prefer to use casting reels. Only thing I use my spinning reel for is pan fish or my big one for pike, but even when going for pike I prefer my Abu tradition style casting reel
>>
>>858420

You should get a shimano Calcutta. I have two and they are the rolls Royce of traditional round casting reels.
>>
>>858424
I only go pike fishing once a year in canada and I already have the abu C4 so that wouldnt make much sense. maybe in 20 years when it shits the bed lol
>>
>>858388
Dolphin
>>
File: Isa.jpg (295KB, 1470x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Isa.jpg
295KB, 1470x1010px
Why don't girls like fishing, specifically cute girls? The only women I see on the river are Mexicans or Grandmas with their kids.
>>
>>858435
1) it involves being outdoors
2) it requires patience
3) it requires doing tasks on your own

Women are by and large incapable of functioning without the direct support and help of others
>>
>>858435

>not wanting a warm comfy hispanic pussy around your tick and tacos for breakfast

They age like milk but make good house wives as long as you steer clear of the ghetto whores.
>>
>>858437
At least the pretty ones are
They're used to guys opening their checkbooks hoping to get laid the second anything doesn't go right
>>
>>858443
There are also she crazy ones to watch out for so be prepared to not be wearing the pants
>>
>been sleeping plently
>figure I can skimp a little and get up early enough to go fishing before work
>somehow end up sleeping over 11 hours

Cool. At least Monday looks like it will be a good day to fish, I guess.
>>
>>858408
Are the Daiwa memecasters really thay nice? I think next baitcaster I'm gonna look for a deal on one of their $150-$200 reels. Next spinning reel I'm thinking or a Shimano (unless I do a salt setup, then Penn) but it would be hard for me to spend $200 on a spinning reel. The light weight on memedasters is nice because of how you palm them but I don't need a super secret carbon frame on a spinning reel. That being said, next freshwater spinning reel will probably be a Symetre.

>>858437
Kek. Can't argue any of that.
>>
>>858386

>he fell for the shimano meme

dude, their shit, at least in my market, is overpriced, and the parts are shit.

They offer reels with brass or bronze gears when okuma and Penn offer similarly priced shit, with much better parts, hell even daiwa
>>
>>858395

thats cause you freshwater scum, bro.

also, peen spinners seem really nice
>>
>fishing for bass
>All I catch is pike

Why does everyone want to catch this lazy ass fish
>>
File: pikepike.jpg (183KB, 960x653px) Image search: [Google]
pikepike.jpg
183KB, 960x653px
>>858519
Because you're catching babbies
>>
>>858483

The Zillion and Steez are nice, but you can't even compare them to a Shimano Calcutta or Chronarch or Aldabaran.

Go with a Shimano Chronarch if you are in that price range.

as for spinning gear, i'd Get a Sustain. They are $320 here in the US, but if you buy from Australia They are $186 on egay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281750562871?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this isn't a ci4+ "light material" spinning reel. This one is all metal and is much more robust.
>>
>>858505

Have you ever actually opened a Shimano Casting reel?

>in your market

of course, because you would rather buy shit for a shit price instead of saving for something quality.

ALL baitcasters sub $150 are shit. Okuma, Penn and Abu are the niggers of the industry and will continue to be.

Quality>Quantity
>>
I'm going surf fishing for the first time in south florida tomorrow morning, does anyone have any advice for me?
>>
>>858568
If I wanted to "save money for quality" I would either buy a penn torque or an accurate.

Talicas look nice, but again are too much money for something other companies do better.

The trinidads have disgusting plastic inside of them.

also, have you handled a daiwa lexa? I hooked a nice tuna on a 300 and never thought I wouldn't be able to land it. more drag than a curado too, an okuma komodo SS looks even nicer.

Hell the local reel company, Pro Gear, is started to come up with some nice star drags at a much better price.

My uncle has been fishing for over 50 years, he used to suck shimano's dick too, and realized that their recent shit is overpriced EXCEPT for their really high end shit.

but at that point, most reel manufactures come out with really good shit
>>
File: 1473542797030.jpg (84KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473542797030.jpg
84KB, 900x900px
What's a good 3-4" EDC knife for somebody that fishes a lot?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So this is a block from my new house...

>>858594
Nope. Sorry.

Where exactly are you going to be?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>858658
$17 Kershaw with a bright orange handle and stainless blade
>>
>>858661

Was thinking of something more concealable to wear on my belt. Don't think a shiny orange knife walking around would be very pleasant.
>>
>>858658
Its hard to go wron . I carry a cold steel spike, you could go for a Mora, its pretty hard to go wrong honestly
Look through a few websites (cold steel, Mora, crkt, Ontario, etc) I'd say just stay away from anything from Gerber, anything made of "surgical steel, no-name steel, if its not specific about the steel from which it was crafted pass it up (Mora is an acception)
>>
>>858665

Mora knives are for son's first knife yet Americans act like it's some quality shit. Your consumerism always makes me laugh.
>>
File: IMG_2831.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2831.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What a fucking day.

Got on the river at 5pm to do a little afternoon small mouth fishing. I get on the water to find out that I forgot all the salmon nigger degenerates are in town. Thinking back on it now I should have turned back right then. After spending the next 30 minutes idiling through the river trying not to snag one of the dumb fucks line I finally got to my fishing hole. After about 20 minutes this little faggot on a kayak comes up to me and says "hey buddy where is your pass". Thinking he is talking about a fishing license I take it out of my wallet and show him. He then tells me that the portion of river that I am fishing (I have been fishing the same spot for over 8 years) is private property and that I need to pay a fee of $30 to fish there. I immediately got triggered and told the guy to fuck off. He then gave me some speech about how it's owned by this millionaire senator and that if I don't have a pass he is going to call the cops on me. After I told him to suck my cock and that I wasn't paying that kike faggot a fucking cent the guy paddled away for a minute. I can tell he is calling someone so I assume it's the cops. At that point I thought "is this even worth it" so I began to drift back the way I came as I was drifting past the guy he mentions how the drop shot setup im using is "illegal" because my 1/4oz drop shot weight is too close to the hook (it was an easy foot away) and that I will get a ticket for snagging. I bursts out laughing and for a third time told the guy to please just fuck off and go shill someone else. At which point we get into a big argument and the guy starts screaming for me to get off the river because "muh private river property". After about 10 minutes of me begging for him to prove that it's private water the guy paddled as fast as he could away from me like a fucking baby who didn't get his way. Didn't catch a single bass either. God I hate salmon niggers so fucking much
>>
>>858658
>>858665
And don't brush folding knives away, buck makes nice lock-back knives that seem to live in everyone's tackle box. Just steer clear of carbon steels unless you're ready for higher maintainance
>>
>>858666
Fishing knives are low impact, you don't need a 200 dollar tank of a knife
>>
>>858667
When I was little kid I went fishing with my Aunt's boyfriend and there were some bank fags yelling at him about throwing tails of cut bait in the water because it was somehow polluting the water. He proceeded to pull his pants down, lean over the boat, and shit in the water. They got BTFO
>>
>>858670
lmao thats fucked
>>
>>858670
So he flashed a group of kids?
>>
>>858659

Dania Beach
>>
an asshole pike snapped my line

how do i prevent this. im running 20lb braid. my knot might have gave out though, cuz im new
>>
>>858705
wire leader
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>858681
Oh that's cool. Along Sheridan St heading East towards the beach, there are tons of spots to fish into the Intercoastal or whatever saltwarer "lake" that is. Used to work right over there a lot and thought that looked like a cool spot.

>>858705
Teeth or just weight? There are wire leaders, but if you don't want to go that hardcore just get some heavier flourocarbon. It handles sharp edges much better than braid.

>>858664
The orange is really nice for fishin because I'm always setting stuff down in the grass and forgetting about it. I dropped my CRKT a month or two ago and it had a brown handle, spent like half an hour searching for it.

But that CRKT is a nice EDC. It sits horizontally in the sheath and the blade shape means the overall profile is small for a blade that length. Sits along the belt and under my shirt so other people don't see it. It isn't big, but I barely notice it is there and does a good job cutting line and little shit I need for fishing. I didn't know if I would like it at first, but now I prefer a fixed blade mounted like that over similar sized folders. CRKT SPEW, Minimalist, and a couple other smaller ones that will sit horizontally are all like $25-$40. Otherwise I believe the Esee Izula sheath sits the same way and those are really nice but will run like twice as much as the CRKT's.
>>
>>858705
Get some #30 or #40 mono or flouro and tie it to your line with an fg knot
>>
>>858721
I got my izula for $30 at a gunshow because it's pink and the dude wasn't selling a lot of them
>>
>>858721
I had trouble with retention on my minimalist
The handle has deep choild that snagged on things and I dropped it and dropped iybthen one day lost it
I like my spike a lot more now that I've rigged it into a hotisontal carry
But I'm thinking about moving on to something else
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>858744
I've been wanting to get down on a lime green Izula for awhile now, but after buying 3 fixed blades earlier in the year I just don't care. I'm not a typical 4chan neckbeard who needs a sweet collection of knives, I just want a couple that work when I need them.

>SPEW for belt
>Kershaw for tackle box
>C/K Dragon for grilled cheese

That big CRKT was like $25 on clearance off of $75+, so I bought it for no reason. It is too big to carry and too small for really chopping shit. I kinda want something nice and big, like a borderline machete Ka-Bar so I can chop snek heads off easily but I don't really want to carry the thing around in my already heavy tackle bag.
>>
>>858760
I might buy another GI tanto and keep it stock
I regret grinding my last one during my bowie phase
>>
>>858721
almost had him top water. it gave a quick head shake and went on its way

>>858737
ill give it a shot. how long is the leader usually?
>>
>>858778
2-6 feet depending on the application
>>
>>858778
>>858782
Yeah
I'd Go with 5 or 6 so you have room to cut and retie as your leader gets chewed up
>>
File: 1473722237685.jpg (47KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
1473722237685.jpg
47KB, 599x449px
I just got a bunch of stuff from BPS online. Went to the river in the evening to try out a Berkeley havoc grass pig (a 3.5" paddle tail plastic). I got the pearl colored ones. Running the lure along at the surface like a frog, weightless rigged on a 1/0 hook. I got one hit that evening from a big pikeminnow, probably about 18" long. He shook the hook while I was trying to land him, but it was still cool to catch a fish on a new lure, using a technique I was not familiar with.
>>
Also I have another video up.

https://youtu.be/KAPvaylFiIg
>>
>>858792
I think I may have those same Berkley Havoc baits. They have the ribbed body with the beaver tail design, right?

I have them in a brown color with sparkles and they look like a great clear water lure. I have had one Texas rigged for months and thrown it a bunch of times with no luck. So fucking strange.

>tfw didn't even get shit for fishing done today
Ended up putting new locks on all the doors in this house since I brought some of my stuff over. All my fishing stuff is there and I feel lost with it all being a mile away. I would just sleep at the place if I had a couch or bed there. Hopefully tomorrow night I will have most of my furniture there.

This house is going to be funny. My mom has half of it with the master bedroom, one of the living rooms, and the dining room, and I have the other half of the house with 2 smaller bedrooms, a second living room, and I'm taking over the garage. Half of this house will look like an old lady's place and the other half will look like a frat house. I just have to keep throwing out any trash she tries to keep in the garage.
>>
File: IMG_4634.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4634.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>858806
Here's a picture of them. I got two colors, a white and a dark natural color. The tail action is not what I'd like, but the silhoutette and colors seem great. I'll have to see how they perform.
>>
>>858814
Oh damn nvm, never used those. The ones I was talking about were more like crawdads.

The KVD paddletails are still my favorites but it's hard to find a big selection of colors for those. I always just see natural stuff.
>>
Where's the cheapest place I can get a 150yd spool of PowerPro?
>>
>>858721
>so other people dont see it.

In the state of Florida thats actually a felony. Your suppose to be able to see the knife your carrying clearly... Id post the stats and shit. But just take my word for it, don't conceal a knife unless you've got a cc permit.
>>
File: IMG_20160915_184732122.jpg (5MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160915_184732122.jpg
5MB, 4320x2432px
>tfw knife addiction
>>
>>858828
Dick's is normally the cheapest out of the main retailers. Can't remember what Walmart is, but I think they are pretty cheap too. Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc always have sales on it too so look around.

>>858834
On a little 3" blade? How do you carry a Swiss Army Knife legally?

I just remember IL laws were something around 5"+ and you aren't supposed to carry it concealed but you are straight with a 3" folder in your pocket. There's no way FL knife laws are worse than IL.
>>
>>858395
>Penn doesn't make anything worth a shit
>>858395
take your bait to the lake and fish with it. Here on the ocean Penn is the go to, both low and high end.
>>
There was a guy here that recommended me a Tsunami Classic reel as a good budget option for surfcasting.

If you're browsing, could you post some pics and impressions?
>>
>>858395
>Penn

A Penn Senator will last a nuclear apocalypse. Gas yourself freshie.
>>
>>858834
Its blatantly on his belt, its open
If I wear a black shirt and black pants then tuck a black gun into my black belt that's still open carry along as it's outside the shirt and pants
>>858934
>>858887
Seconded
I'm thinking about piling together a big penn senator and a heavy rod for 'yaking out big baits for shork
>>
>>859000
he also literally said it "sits under my shirt so other people don't see it"

do you try to be retarded
>>
>>858389
>>858391
>>858427
Not a big fisherman, I've ordered it before in restaurants but never realized what a gorgeous fish it is.
>>
how do you handle pike / muskie?

im scared and dont want to die

every youtube video is 9 minutes long and british
>>
File: image.jpg (193KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193KB, 640x1136px
>>858760
The ka-bar USN (the one on the right) is like perfect size. I normally keep mine handy when I'm yakin or innawoodsing. Izula is on the left.

>>859022
You can't be thaaat scared if you won't at least skim through a video lol
>>
>>859022
Best bet is to get some fish grips. Makes it a hell of a lot easier. If you don't have those then you will need a net. If they are small ones you can just wet your hand and grab them around the body. Try not to keep them out of the water more than 3 mins or else you will have to sit there holding it in the water to wait for it to get enough energy to swim away
>>
File: IMG_1683.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1683.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>859039
Forgot the pic. The orange thing is the fish grips I was referring too
>>
>>858867
>(3)(a)“Concealed weapon” means any dirk, metallic knuckles, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.

ANY knife, from 1/2" blade, to 28" blade, HAS to be open carried no matter what, has to be visible and identifiable.. for you to best stay out of any trouble.

Florida got lots of cuck laws that are never enforced until some douchebag cop don't like yer tone with em and opens up their "Bullshit laws log" on their computers.

I went through this with a fucking leather man wave... because it was in my pocket...

THANK ORANGE COUNTY! here's your shoutout for being literally the second shittiest police force in all of Florida.

Basically if you want to avoid any and all legal trouble, just keep it out in the open... the belt is fine as long as you can afford something other then a given defense attorney.
>>
>>859022
Grab the base of the head and use needle nose pliers
They're not that scary
Once you get it out the water it calms down
>>
Caught a 5 inch bass today on a rooster tail. I really wish I would have taken a picture but there were people doing engagement photos near me.
>>
>>858760
You stab snakeheads with that and then use it to cut your sandwich?
>>
>>859068
No the orange one is for snek killing
>>
>>859067
>not throwing fish at the newlyweds
Where is your culture and sense of tradition?
>>
>>859070
>engagement photos
>newlyweds

Not the sharpest hook in the tackle box eh?
>>
>>859072
My point still stands why was there no fish throwing
>>
File: image.jpg (413KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
413KB, 640x1136px
I love this little pond at work. Also, that yum stick bait lasted for 5 fish and it's still good where a senko last for maybe 2. Senkos are an overpriced meme.
>>
File: image.jpg (168KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168KB, 640x1136px
>>859117
I really wish it had some other kind of sunfish in it though
>>
File: image.jpg (177KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177KB, 640x1136px
>>859119
I like the little bass that go for lures as big as them
>>
File: image.jpg (422KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
422KB, 640x1136px
>>859120
I hooked a bass with those yum singers that had to be a solid 5 or 6 pounds. When he ran it nearly jerked the rod out of my hand. I got him close enough to see him and got all excited just in time to watch him shake the hook. I'll catch him one of these days. After that I threw on a brush hog and got this dude.
>>
>>858658
spyderco salt
>>
File: IMG_2670.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2670.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Snagged this trout recently at a lake in NorCal. I don't fish very much and was using a shitty old pole and reel. I bought the little red and gold spoon a few days before and some fresh line for the rig too.
>>
File: IMG_2681.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2681.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>859132
lemon pepper, olive oil, and butter... damn good meal
>>
File: IMG_2243.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2243.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>859137
>>859132
Knife I used, 119
>>
Fuck moving.

>>859122
Wut color and brand is that brush hog?

>>859068
This >>859069
That big C/K Dragon has been sitting on my coffee table for months.
>>
>>859200
It's a zoom. That's the majority of my soft plastics. The color is sapphire melon.
>>
File: 1474114466065.png (158KB, 666x607px) Image search: [Google]
1474114466065.png
158KB, 666x607px
do i need to use a weight with an 1/8 or 1/6 oz lure? i can't seem to get any casting distance and i don't see how i can add weights without effecting the lure(like pulling it down more than it should be or something).

i've tried both splitshot and the sliding weights, splitshot doesnt seem to give enough weight to cast and the sliding weights seem like theyd be too visible or something
>>
>>859207
What rod are you using? I have a light rod and it casts even the 1/16 oz lures far enough to catch fish.
>>
>>859200
>itting on my coffee table for months.
So you don't use it? I'll give you 5 bucks and shipping for it
>>
>>859207
Run lighter line on a lighter rod mang. 4lb-6lb mono is nice for 1/8oz lures or 10lb braid will launch em. Even 15lb-20lb braid does decent with 1/8oz-1/6oz lures.

>>859205
Never seen that color.
>>
>>859218
>>859214
i think its a medium/light rod, it doesnt say but i have a heavy which it is light than and a light which its heavier than. if i dont want to change lines or rods do i just need to use bigger lures?
>>
>>859221
What line are you using?

I have a 6'6" medium rod that I have 6 lb mono on and it casts 1/8 oz just fine
It will even cast 1/16 oz pretty well
>>
>>859228
30 lb braid
>>
>>859230
That's why homie

>>859218
I think I got them from dicks cause they were doing a sale on zoom awhile back
>>
>>859231
what would be a good replacement? 10 lb braid? 6 lb mono?
>>
>>859235
Either really. You could probably get away with 15lb braid. I wouldn't waste that 30# though, put it on a heavier rod if you have it.
>>
>>859235
30lb braid is pretty damn heavy for that rod and those lures. 10lb or 15lb braid would be great if you like braid. Otherwise like 6lb mono.

I really like 10lb PowerPro on those Med/Light combos with 20(00) or 25(00) size reels. The 10lb is more than enough to handle the majority of bass that will hit stuff and with a ML setup you are probably going for crappie or lots of stuff <2lbs anyway. With the 10lb braid on those setups, you can cast 1/8oz baits really well and go down to 1/16oz easily.

Basically what he already said >>859238

30lb braid is what I use on MH type stuff with ~1oz jigs or ripping bass out of really heavy cover.
>>
What species of catfish is this?
>>
File: nataaaaa 1.jpg (65KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
nataaaaa 1.jpg
65KB, 600x800px
I'm finally grown up with a good job and home of my own and want to build my own arsenal, instead of using my Uncle's gear all the time. I primarily go catfishing in Virginia/Tennessee rivers. He's getting a new pontoon boat and is selling me his old 16' Lowe boat with a 25hp Johnson.

I'm looking for,

A light/ultralight rod or two for perch and trout fishing. I go fishing with my Sisters and their Dad sometimes and he's more of a pond fisher.

2-4 fishing rods and reels to catch eating size catfish. Probably 5-10lb in the rivers I fish. Any bigger and I throw them back because their meat is tough and nasty.

4-6 fishing rods and reels to catch big cats. They get up to 100lbs in these rivers. Thinking of getting a saltwater rod and Penn or Abu Garcia casting reel.

A quality casting net and fishing net to pull big cats in the boat.

Boat stuff? He's stripped the boat. I'll need to get my own lights, rod holders, battery, etc.

Any general gear I should stockpile on when I see them for cheap?
>>
>>859257
Channel cat of guess
>>
>>859257

Blue. Channel would have dark spots on it.
>>
>>859257

Can't say without the anal fin. I would say channel simply because I couldn't imagine a blue getting that dark in that little pond or whatever it is.
>>
>>859260
I've not got a good ultralight rod, but for cheap catfishing gear the penn beefsticks are nice, and a Penn peer or senator is hard to go wrong with
Then for the big cats I'd buy a heavy Penn rod and a Penn senator 14/0 and spool it with #130 mono
I'd trust a Penn peer 309 or my Penn long beach with #40 line and a beefstick boat rod up to a 50 pound fish though
And if it breaks its a small investment that is easily replaced or you could upgrade
>>
>>859264
It does have dark spots, look again with your eyes open
They're subtle but they're there right by the guys hand
>>
>>859267

Have you tried Bass Pro brand combos for catfish?
>>
>>859267
Dammit skid, he said he had a good job. I'm assuming he wants to spend more than $37 on each setup.

>>859271
Go for it. Their stuff is pretty nice. It's actually competitive with other brands, no longer a cheap generic choice. Also you normally get a lot for your money with the Bass Pro brand stuff.
>>
>>859275

Do they have like a store card for discounts and stuff? I've never been to one. It's like a 90 minute drive. All I got around here is Wal-Mart and Dick's and they don't sell much fishing gear.
>>
>>858341
:3
>>
>>859260

>A light/ultralight rod or two for perch and trout fishing.

You can get cheap panfish setups at Walmart. I like the Abu 6' light rod paired with the Abu cardnal sx 10-30 size

>2-4 fishing rods and reels to catch eating size catfish. Probably 5-10lb in the rivers I fish.

I'd just go with the tried and true pfluegur president reel paired with any medium action 6'6"-7' rod. The brand is just personal preference so you'll want to physically hold it and see how you like them.

>4-6 fishing rods and reels to catch big cats. They get up to 100lbs in these rivers. Thinking of getting a saltwater rod and Penn or Abu Garcia casting reel.

I have the 4600 size Abu casting reel for big pike and I love it. I'd go with the 6600 size though for big cats. As for a rod I'd go with a 7'-8' medium heavy to heavy rod. Like I said above the brand is up to you and what you like

>A quality casting net and fishing net to pull big cats in the boat.

Not really sure about casting nets but for a regular fishing net I like the giant rubber ones. They are usually labeled as 'conservation' nets and don't tangle nearly as bad as normal fiber nets

>Boat stuff? He's stripped the boat. I'll need to get my own lights, rod holders, battery, etc.

Just look up your states boat requirments depending on the length. They will list everything that's required
>>
>>859275
A Penn senator is a 100+ dollar reel
>>
>>859279
Almost all quality reels are over $100...
>>
>>859276

You can get a Bass Pro Shop credit card and receive 5% cash back.
>>
>>859281
>Almost all quality reels are over $100

you are correct, but TRUE quality lies at $300 plus
>>
>>859286
Not necessarily. Unless your getting paid to fish there is no reason other than a try hard passion to spend over $300 on a single reel. Unless of course you are saltwater fishing
>>
>>859290

This. I've spent $30 on reels over 10 years ago that I still got today.
>>
>>859276
I go to Dick's more often than Bass Pro just because Dick's always has great sales on stuff. But if I want to browse or want something really specific, I will go to Bass Pro. Their regular prices are close to Dick's, but they don't have many good sales. There is a "rewards" card but it ends up being like $20 for every $1000+ that you spend unless you buy a ton of store brand stuff or go when they have their double points sales. The Bass Pro credit card will give you more back than the free rewards card it you want to go that route.

>tl;dr:
Bass Pro is good once every 3 months to grab stuff you can't find other places.
>>
>>859294
It's much easier to get to that price point when you aren't looking at spinning reels. For freshwater spinning reels, if you spend more than $100 you are mostly paying for fancy materials and not much more function. Casting reels you can get closer to $300 before it becomes names and crazy materials.
>>
File: IMG_4587 (2).jpg (4MB, 2413x3217px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4587 (2).jpg
4MB, 2413x3217px
>>859132
Nice catch, dude. Good to see some more trout on here.
>>
>>859300
>>859300

On a second note, can a spinning reel handle bigger 50 plus pound catfish? My Uncle only has casting reels. I ask him why he doesn't use spinning reels and he says because casting reels have better drag. Is that bullshit?
>>
>>859070
>throwing fish at the newlyweds
I think they only do that in the UK and Seattle

There was a wedding party at our beach today when we got there but they had left before I had a fish on hook.

Also ripped the jaw/teeth out of an undersized black sea bass today and it dedded. Wife caught it and dumb ass got the hook stuck in there really good.
>>
>>859320
Casting reels don't inherently have better drag
BUT
Casting reels are inherently stronger because they're tighter to the rod
If its tighter to the rod then when a fish pulls on it it puts less torque on the reel seat
Less torque on the reel seat less chance of damaging or breaking the rod or reel

I was once on a peor and a guy hooked something big
His spinning reel strained then the stem snapped, the hit the eyeguide of the rod, shattered the insert! Bent the base then cut his line
The broken chunk of reel fell in the ocean and his rod was ruined and he had to replace everything
It was probably a cheap reel but it still scares me because I know that little 1/2x1/4 inch strip of graphite or whatever is all that's holding my combo together so if I'm going after something big and powerful I'll take a casting/conventional reel

I've seen people take big fish on spinning gear and I know my fears are semi irrational but I'd rather not risk that fish of a lifetime to 1/1,000 odds of gear failure if I can go for 1/10,000 odds
>>
>>859276
>Dick's
My Dick's has a huge selection, maybe because on ocean and there are like 20-40 ponds/lakes in that town.
>>
>>859345
>inb4 dated memery passed down by oldfags to push memecasters
I know
>>
File: 1473785498797.png (135KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473785498797.png
135KB, 900x900px
Why are boats so damn expensive? Went out boat shopping today thinking I could buy a brand new 16-18' fishing boat with a 90-115hp motor for around $25-30k but nope, everything at dealers are fucking $60K and up. And the interest rates on every boat loan lender is fucking ridiculous and I have a 790 credit score. Why do people go in so much debt for a boat that gets dirty if you're a real fisherman and not some bass fag?
>>
>>859350
1.) get a used boat
2.) finance through your bank
>>
>>859350
You can probably find a pontoon boat in the price range new, or those pointless little cruiser boats that your Grandparents get.

Carolina Skiff makes affordable center consoles. Can find one 5-8 years old for $20-25K.

If you want an aluminum boat, you could easily find a Lowe in that price range.

>>859351
Financing anything is for hicks. People are attracted to debt disguised as free money.
>>
>>859345
tighter to the rod? nigger what the fuck are you smoking that doesn't matter at all
>>
>>859350
Just build your own wooden one you stupid motherfucker. The only thing worth anything on commercial boats are the engines and electronics. Build the boat itself and hire electrician to wire steering/lights

We've made boats since we lived by water. It's not like buying a car, you just need something that floats and won't leak.
And this way you can build a much nicer/bigger boat (albeit much more simplistic) for less. If you don't have the tools, buy them as they'll come in handy for repairs.
>>
>>859374
I really hope this is skid and your trip broke again because I'd hate for there to be two retards in this thread.

Actually, skid isn't even capable of this level of brainlessness.
>>
>>859376
No my trip is working that's not me

Though I don't think it's a bad idea
>>
>>859374

>putting a /diy/ wooden boat in the rough rivers around here

Yeah I'm not suicidal.
>>
>>859260
For an ultralight pick up a 7 ft 6 okuma sst Kokanee rod
Match it with a nice small 2000 sizes spinning reel
(I have a diawa legalis and have no complaints )
>>
>>858435
Kek. You have to go to areas with a big fishing culture. I know plenty of smokeshows who fish.
>>
>>859355
>People are attracted to debt disguised as free money
Do you only pay in cash? What if you want to buy a house?
>>
>>859459
>smokeshows

What region does one use this term in?
>>
File: 0917161342.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0917161342.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Caught these yesterday. Largest flat head weighed 27 pounds and was 37 inches long.
>>
>>859502
Not him, but he's correct. Yes, you pay using cash/debit/check. I have 3 houses, 45 acres of land, 2 vehicles, and 0 debt. I haven't had a credit card since I was a stupid, ignorant kid in my 20s. Thank fuck, I never got a house mortgage or car loan. All my friends have them and they are constantly whining about money & bills and can never go on vacation because they have to work 2 jobs each and do hobby stuff at home they can sell all to pay off debt. They are all rednecks and all over 40. I think the lowest one owes is around 50k. Then they get kids (every one by "accident") and just pilled on the debt without thinking at all.

I can't even fathom that shit. It is like fucking bizarr-o land to me. Oh and there's resentment because I'm debt free and can do anything I want. Mountains of resentment, like it was my fault they are fuck ups.

>me "What did you do last weekend, Carl?"
>him "I had to work on some guys truck for 2 days, what did you do?"
>me "Oh, I landed some big bass over at the water works then had BBQ bass."
>him "Mother fucker! That pisses me off so fucking much you piece of shit!"

Literally, a conversation had nearly every week.
>>
>>859512
Sweet!

Are you going to freeze the meat or just have one big cook out?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
He hissed at me.
>>
>>859518
Both.
>>
>>858395
Daiwa is just a nigger in denial. Buy a shimano.
>>
>>859257
>show up to pond
>100 people fishing shoulder to shoulder
NOPE
>>
>>859512
Aren't you only supposed to eat the small ones? Otherwise they taste like mud?
>>
File: 0917161728a.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0917161728a.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>859542
Not sure. It isnt uncommon for these fish to get to 70 or 80 pounds. The world record flathead was123 pounds iirc, so a thirty pound fish is relatively small. You have to clean up the meat a bit, but you do most of the work with a brine. The rest can be done with a knife. Most of the meat is white to begin with. Very little red.

Pic related.
>>
>>859550
Also, I've never had catfish that tasted like mud unless it wasn't cleaned properly.
>>
>>859350
you can get an alumacraft center console with a 115 mercury for around $22k. but i'm calling bullshit on your story because most companies don't sell a bass boat over $30k. the best boat tracker sells goes for $28 with a motor and their cheapest doesn't even crack $10
>>
>buying a bass boat
>spending 20-30k to catch a meme fish that barely fights

I'd only get a boat for fishing the great lakes or saltwater fishing.
>>
>>859585
>barely fights
Bass fishing is a mental battle not a physical one
>>
>>859593
This.

I went salmon fishing on Ontario last week and the whole time I was wishing we were bass fishing. We got 5 big kings and after the initial strike it just gets boring imo
>>
>>859593
That's why I love catching snook, it requires the skill and technique of catching bass but they also put up a great fight. Their feeding activity is heavily tied to the tides and moon phases. They also are very picky fish that won't hit a lure unless it looks and moves like what they're feeding on that day. Unlike bass they actually taste good too.
>>
>>859517
Debt isn't necessarily a bad thing and I highly doubt you saved up enough money to outright buy a house with cash let alone three of them and 45 acres of land.

You even old enough to get a job?
>>
>>859627
>Debt isn't necessarily a bad thing

Lmao in what way is debt a good thing? you sound like the salty people that guy was referring too in his post
>>
>>858435
Because pretty girls are just that. Empty headed soulless bitches that are only worth fucking. Ask one to fix your car, or build a nuclear reactor, etc. Waste of time. Mothers tell their daughters to look good and marry a rich man. And women wonder why men think they're whores.
>>
>>859630
I mean, when I bought my house I went from paying ~1100 a month in rent down to $541 a month for my mortgage.
>>
File: Jumping Mako.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
Jumping Mako.webm
3MB, 426x240px
>>859542
No, it is about pollution not anything else. And, it varies from species to species of catfish. Like you are not supposed to eat channel catfish under 17" more than once a week and over 17" more than 2 times a month. Flatheads are 2 times a month max regardless of size. That is because flatheads are a predatory that is higher up on the food chain than channel catfish.

Of course, you need to check your area's consumption limits on fish, but that difference between species and sizes is notable.

>taste like mud

I don't see how since they are predator fish.

>>859593
>>859603
>>859624
>>859585
I don't know of anything in freshwater that puts up a real "fight". You are either dragging in what feels like a slow moving log or the fish is dancing around, but all you need to do is keep the line tight so it doesn't turn the hook and merely crank it in. There's literally no tactics to it, no stamina beyond 15 mins if you have a massive flathead catfish, drum, or striper. But those are all logs. I suppose if you bass fish with an ultra light rod with 2lbs line you may have to use tactics...

Meanwhile on saltwater, you can have the battle of your life that tests all your knowledge of playing a fish and your stamina.
>>
File: 1471728827783.jpg (24KB, 477x395px) Image search: [Google]
1471728827783.jpg
24KB, 477x395px
>>859627
I'm over 40. I owned a couple businesses along the way and now rent out apartments. There's like no work involved at all for me now. I can go fishing and shitpost all day long if it suits me.

>>859630
Wage slaves are the saltiest fish in the sea, anon.
>>
>>859659
I actually enjoy my job and like to work and still feel as though I have plenty of time to do whatever I like with lots of disposable income even though I'm over $60,000 in debt right now..

being in debt doesn't automatically mean you never do anything fun and work three jobs, it just means you have a little bit of responsibility to not be completely retarded with your money.

So again, WHY is debt bad? I have my house, my car, my motorcycle, and I'm living very comfortably with everything I need and plenty of free time.
>>
>>859669
Being responsible with money means you are not in debt, kid.
>>
>>859670
No, it doesn't.
Being responsible with money means you don't get more debt than you can handle.. I swear people find the most retarded things to be elitest about.
>>
>>859670
kek
>>859654
you missed the point. that other anon and I were saying we enjoy bass fishing because its like a puzzle each time you go out, and if you are successful you can land a shit load of fish and feel accomplished. I honestly couldn't give a shit how it fights. to each his own
>>
>>859674
>implying catching saltwater fish isn't like a puzzle

The only saltwater fish that you can catch by mindlessly throwing a spoon are jacks, bluefish and baitfish. Everything else requires knowledge, strong observation skills and proper technique.
>>
>>859673
>you don't get more debt than you can handle.

Being in debt MEANS you couldn't handle your money in the first place.
>>
>>859674
>we enjoy bass fishing because its like a puzzle each time you go out, and if you are successful you can land a shit load of fish and feel accomplished

Catching bass is a puzzle? How exactly? You mean like where you have to think about what type of bass food you want your lure to be like? The choices are fuck all,

noisy topwater
baitfish imitation
worm
>>
File: 1474162319381.jpg (35KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
1474162319381.jpg
35KB, 500x456px
>>859673
>confusing handling debt with handling money

This is why you are in debt.
>>
>>859684
>>859687
I have never had credit card debt, the only debt I've ever had has been intentional when I am 100% sure I'm able to budget out the payments.

Sorry kid, maybe if you grew up and learned about how money works you'd understand that debt isn't a big bad monster.
>>
>>859685

>jerkbaits
>frogs
>plugs
>poppers
>texas rig
>shakyhead
>dropshot
>flippin jig
>texas rig
>swimbaits
>lipless cranks
>spinner baits
>buzzbaits
>picking the right color

if you've done enough bass fishing you'd know that they often want something different everyday.
>>
>>859678
Your original point was that the fish you have the opportunity to catch, fight well. I replied by saying I dont care about how they fight. Never said saltwater was any easier to catch. obviously if I lived by the ocean I would saltwater fish, but I dont, so I target bass since they are the most fun fish to target imo
>>
>>859688

except it is you stupid nigger

Debt=Slavery

sure you can make payments now, wait until you can't.
>>
>>859692
Sure thing, kiddo.

If I ever get injured I have lots of stock I could cash in and live off of for literally years. Again, maybe if you weren't so young you'd understand how the world works.
>>
>>859685
I like to constantly learn and use new methods and baits. the bass change their feeding pattern almost daily and until you figure out that pattern they are on you can only expect to catch a few at most. where as when you are dialed in you can catch 30
>>
>>859694
if you knew how the world worked you wouldn't be in debt lmao.
>>
>>859697
Haha alright kid, keep pretending you know anything.

You're too young to have knowledge on anything other than your video games, maybe you should get mommy to help you count your piggy bank. Hey, you might even be able to budget out enough for some candy? I know budget is a big word for you, but with age you may learn to understand big adult terms like income and interest. Perhaps one day you'll even be old enough to take out a loan and buy a house which will make your quality of life much higher.

It all comes with age, kiddo. Stay in school and you'll get there.
>>
File: 1454088001617 (1).png (247KB, 432x313px) Image search: [Google]
1454088001617 (1).png
247KB, 432x313px
>>859700
sure thing debt bro
>>
>>859705
Still no reason why debt is bad other than your retarded elitism.. huh, you'd almost think loans are extremely helpful when used responsibly.

This forum is 18+ by the way, kiddo.
>>
File: 1451273674106.jpg (66KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1451273674106.jpg
66KB, 399x382px
>>859706
face it bro. you dont know how to manage and spend money. My wife and I are completely debt free and our house and vehicles are paid off. stay salty though.
>>
>>859710
Sure thing kiddo, just try and tone down the salt a little. It's not good for kids your age to be consuming so much.
>>
>>858435
I like it but have nobody to teach me proper technique. I bought several books and shit seems overly complicated.
>>
File: 1454284385887.jpg (68KB, 800x526px) Image search: [Google]
1454284385887.jpg
68KB, 800x526px
>>859716
>n-no you
>>
>>859719
It's okay kid, anger is just one of the steps to acceptance. All you've got to do is pick up a book on finances and you'll be good, assuming you're old enough to use a library.
>>
>Either make $200 payments while getting to use your boat
>or save up $200 dollars every month but don't have boat

Hmm it's almost like they're the same thing except with one you get a boat right away and still have the same amount of monies as if you were saving for one.
>>
What the fuck does this debt shit have to do with fishing? Can you faggots please fuck off
>>
>>859688
I learned from my parents to never accrue debt for any reason. Thus, I grew up with the mentality to save money instead of spending money and actively getting into debt. Only once did I ever get a credit card ($400) limit, but I never used it and canceled the account. I only used it as proof of age online for a short time.

Just because you grew up learning that you need to be in debt to function in society doesn't mean that it is true or the correct thing to do.

>>859689
Looks like a list of noisy topwater baits, baitfish imitation baits, and worms.
>>
>>859725
>not already having large savings ready to use on a whim for things like a boat

That's why you do it. You don't wait until you come up with a way to spend money before you start saving money. That is why you have a poverty mentality and debt.
>>
>>859728
If you are in debt you are not allowed to fish, especially if you can't afford a memecaster. This is why you instead need to go hunting with your .22 cal long rifle, kid.
>>
>>859733
>implying I want a memecaster
>implying I'm a filthy bassfag
>implying I have any debt

This isn't /biz/, fuck off.
>>
>>859685
>noisy topwater
>baitfish imitation
>worm
Pretty much, maybe with some crawdads or other creature baits in there. But the color and action of the lure are big choices too. For baitfish imitations, I might want a natural shad swimbait one day and a rattling chartruese lipless crank the next.
>>
>20
>Always had the idea to never be in debt
> Credit card but pay it off on time
(Mostly for buying shit online)
>Cash in the bank
>No debt
>Hopefully wont ever be in debt
>>
>>859732
>be 20
>want a boat
>oops you make $12 an hour and don't already have $30,000 saved up

Is this actually how old people think? Have a heart attack already you salty fuck.
>>
>>859755
I bought my first house when I was 18yo for $17k with 10 acres of land. I paid with it using a check from my savings account.

I've never had a job that paid more than $7 an hour all my entire life. I'm not sure what your problem is with money, but you are obviously terrible with it.
>>
>>859763
Lmao okay man, try doing that today. You couldn't.
>>
>>859763
Houses dont cost that little anymore unless they're a total shithole pops
Expect to pay 60k minimum
Unless you're living in a trailer park or other shithole
>>
>>859777

$60K could barely get you in a trailer park here.

>>859763
Maybe learn a little about economics before getting on the internet Grandpa. Head over to dubya dubya dot investopedia dot calm
>>
>>859725

>get loan for $50K boat
>5 years later you have a 5 year old boat worth $30K that you paid $75K for after interest

>save $50K for 5 years
>have a brand new boat

Gee I wonder which i should do.
>>
>>859783
where the fuck do you live where you'd pay 25k of interest on a $50,000 boat? I was thinking you were talking out of your ass but now I know you are.
>>
>>>/biz/
>>
>>859786

/biz/ is for cryptocoin retards and /r9k/ pretending to be professional investment bankers making AMA threads. Nothing of quality happens there. If you actual advice from actual adults, then /out/ and /diy/ are probably the only boards left. Pretty sure well over 50% of 4chan is underage now and the other 48% is from Reddit, Tumblr, etc.
>>
>>859787
thats great. In case you didnt realise this is the FISHING GENERAL. not the "oh wow your not in debt? you must be retarded lol XD"

talk bout fishin.
>>
>>859789

They are discussing the pros and cons of financing a boat vs buying outright. Would you rather have a boat general thread princess?
>>
>>859792
the topic of the discussion is not fishing related. Its just fags baiting each other for (you)s on why they think there financial situation is better than the other guy. It leads no where and isnt informative in any way
>>
>>859795

That is 4chan in general. Get over it.
>>
>>859781
Not to mention most trailer parks have fees almost like condo fees
>>
File: IMG_2843.jpg (507KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2843.jpg
507KB, 2048x1536px
>go early morning small mouth fishing
>using a single hooked inline spinner (treble hooks are banned in the river during salmon season)
>reeling in and think I'm hung up on a weed
>rip the hook to try and get it out
>line starts buzzing off my reel meaning I snagged a fuckin salmon
>loosen my drag to nothing and let it run for 20 mins
>finally get it in after it ran and jumped multiple times

surprised I managed to get it in with my memecaster
>>
>fishing thread is about being a debt slave

If we don't have to talk about fishing here then we might as well talk about furries

If you absolutely had to be a real furry, what animal would you be /fish/?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEf7XvN4rHg
>>
>>859804
how about you kill yourself
>>
>>859772
>>859777
You are correct. Land prices are far less now and houses with 10 acres are only about $10k.

I live in B.F.E. in a flyover state. Hardly any people, no pollution, all wilderness. It is the place you kids keep dreaming about on those weird /out/ threads about tiny houses and small cabins made from pallets and such.

>>859781
Why would I invest in anything? I already have everything I want and I have a fat amount of cash should I ever want anything more or need to replace something.
>>
>>859814
Show me half a dozen houses with 10+ acres, with running water electrical and plumbing for 10 k
>>
Boaters Ed is dumb. Has anyone ever been stopped before and been required to see their card?
>>
How can Icatch bullhead?
I leave my line out with a worm and sinker for a while but I always end up with either weeds, smallmouth, or a minnow at the end of the line.
>>
>>859825
nope. rarely ever see cops on the water unless there is an event on the water like fireworks or a bay party
>>
>>859821
fuck that, show us ONE
>>
Does anyone have tips for a newbie on how to quickly change lures? Can I put a snap swivel at the end of my leader or am I stuck retying every time I want to change it up?
>>
>>859842
YouTube search "quick knot"
Its not the strongest, hard with braid, and burns through line but if you want a 10 second lure change
>>
>>859842
just get better at tying, it shouldnt take more than 6-8 seconds to tie on a lure which isn't anything
>>
>>859842
I'd recommend practice in your down time. You'll need to know a handful of good knots anyway if you plan to stick with it.
>>
File: fish.jpg (30KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
30KB, 300x450px
Do fish feel pain when hooked?
>>
Why are bass fishers the most retarded people on the water?

They take 30 minutes just to launch their boat with 3 people helping them.

They have no awareness or respect for other boaters when traveling on the water.

They have no fishing IQ and would be clueless without their fish finder.

They all have that "Everything you see is financed and my smile is a lie my debt is making me bald" look to them.
>>
>>859821
>>859835
Nice try FBI. I'm not giving you info on my location.

>people not knowing about government seized land sales
>>
>>859859
I don't know, why is everything you just said bullshit?
>>
>>859859
All you have to do is watch some pro bass fishermen youtube channels. Nay, watch only 1 and you know the demographic and mentality.
>>
>>859859
If you aint chasin bass. you aint gettin ass, kid
>>
>>859867

>90% product shilling 10% fishing
>bass fishing videos

Pick 2
>>
File: whitest sport ever.jpg (130KB, 1270x671px) Image search: [Google]
whitest sport ever.jpg
130KB, 1270x671px
>>859867
>>859859
>>859870
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6RkmjLORqc

>plaster clothing with sponsor logos
>forget to plaster raincoats with sponsor logos
>starts raining

Life must be suffering for those guys.
>>
File: IMG_20160918_094113.jpg (315KB, 803x527px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160918_094113.jpg
315KB, 803x527px
I caught my first saltwater fish! I think it's a jacksmelt. It went on a 3/4 oz Kastmaster (visible in pic). Poor thing was foul hooked. I caught another that was 1.5x this big later on, but the damn thing wiggled itself free after I took it off the hook, so no pic. At least it was not foul hooked.

Then a fucking kite surfer snagged my line. He came out of nowhere and went really close to shore. He looked clueless about kite surfing in general, nearly crashed into another surfer right after this happened.
>>
File: IMG_20160918_094023.jpg (76KB, 625x583px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160918_094023.jpg
76KB, 625x583px
>>859872
Another pic
>>
>>859871
the only somewhat decent pro bass channel is Mike Iaconelli and even that isnt as good as the amateur anglers channels
>>
>>859874
ouch
>>
The only reason to catch bass is if you're landlocked or there's nothing good in area. The fact that people spend thousands on memecasters and lures to catch this boring fish is absolutely mind boggling.
>>
>>859890

How could I have such bad taste? I guess I better go back to catching braindead stocked trout on ultralight gear like I did my whole childhood. Or I can just go full googan and bait fish for the literal garbage of fresh water like cats and carp.
>>
>>859898

Fishing anything in stocked ponds/lakes is for children and faggots. Fish trout in streams.

And "garbage" fishermen are the smartest fishermen I know. Bass fishing is boring and it tastes bad. At least catfish is the best tasting freshwater fish there is and trout isn't that bad either.
>>
>>859898
>or there's nothing good in the area

I truly feel sorry for people that can't go saltwater fishing. My condolences anon.
>>
New guy visiting from the knife general here, who's the worst tripfag in these threads so I can filter him?
>>
>>859901

I can go for Stripers and Blues but I don't always have the motivation to put in that much effort/time.
>>
>>859903
all of them
>>
>>859903
Pepsifag.

He's a notorious dinkposter that only shows off bass and mayan cichlids that only a 5 year old would be proud of.
>>
>>859850
>>859852
>>859854

Thanks for the replies, tying knots isn't the problem I'm actually proficient. I was just hoping there was a way to avoid burning through the line.
>>
>>859923
You could tie a leader and just retie it every couple of trips when it starts getting short if you don't want to waste your main line
>>
>>859923
get some VMC touch-lok snaps. They're tiny, strong and aren't as visible as the normal snaps with the brass.
>>
>>859926
these too. I've gotten easily spooked fish like snook with them.
http://www.rapala.com/vmc/terminal-tackle/snaps/crs-crankbait-snap/CRS+Crankbait+Snap.html?cgid=vmc-terminalTackle-snaps&start=1
>>
>>859858
Yes :/
>>
File: image.jpg (5KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5KB, 125x125px
>>859923
I like using pic related if I'm not tying directly to the lure. They are much smaller in profile and don't have that little folded plate like regular snap swivels that always fails.

Just remember you still want to retie your knots fairly often, even with a swivel. That is the weak point.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>859903
Hey bby

>>859909
Skid pls.

Anybody except for skid would've said Skid.

Plus if anon filter Skid, he won't have to see like 10 posts in a row that barely form one paragraph.
>>
>>859345
have you ever taken a physics class? i ask because we havent gotten to torque in mine yet but im willing to bet my next catch that this is false
>>
im taking my dad and mom fishing for crappie ocassionally

which hook sizes are best for catch and release? ive had one get gut hooked today
>>
>>859935

Rod and reel is pleb. Nigger rig a toaster oven to your battery and drop it in the water. See what happens.
>>
>>859930
I'm not skid famalam, I just think your dinkposting is getting out of hand.
>>
>>859941

>fishing general thread
>guy posts pictures of fish
>somebody gets mad about it

Are you autistic son? Read through this thread. Besides a few anons, Pepsifag is the only person that actually contributes fishing related content.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>859944
Pepsi pls.

>>859935
Best size is the one that just fits inside their mouth, so it really varies depending on what you are catching.

For fishing live bait for panfish with little mouths, I'm a big fan of these Aberdeen hooks with the long shank.
>>
>>859944
They're tiny bass that shouldn't be posted. At least when the salt guys post small fish they're rare and pretty. Dinkposting is worse than shitposting.
>>
>>859944

Because most people don't feel the need to post every dink that they catch.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>859954
I'm not like "most people"

>>859949
Be careful what you wish for.

And I normally don't post all the fish I catch. If I go out for a couple hours and get half a dozen bass, I'll post like 2 pics and talk about what lures I'm using and relevant stuff. You're just whiney.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>859954
Also size is irrelevant because I can post 3lb+ fish and you will still bitch and moan because you don't have anything useful to contribute.

Hey, at least we're having a discussion about something. I guess.
>>
>>859890
>>859899
>>859859
Why are you such an autist? Is the idea of people liking something you don't seriously this hard for you to deal with?
>>
>>859961
And he's completely wrong. Perch is the best tasting freshwater fish.
>>
File: me_fishing.jpg (38KB, 398x389px) Image search: [Google]
me_fishing.jpg
38KB, 398x389px
>>859961
>>859944
>>
>>859965
Fuck, finally.

Is that a popper? I don't think I have ever gotten a crappie on a popper. But I rarely fished them when I was up north anyway.
>>
>>859968
no idea, i lost my good lures and it was laying in the tacklebox. was actually hoping someone on here could tell me what it was
>>
File: image.jpg (253KB, 1452x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253KB, 1452x1936px
>>859874
Sweet. I miss fishing for jacksmelt. Did you eat that fish or release it?
P.S. Does anyone know if this is a salmon or trout dink I got? Been wondering.
>>
File: pixel lure.png (28KB, 534x854px) Image search: [Google]
pixel lure.png
28KB, 534x854px
>>859965
looks pretty crappie to me

>>859969
Cant' see shit captain, there's only like 4x10 pixels making up that tiny image.
>>
File: pixel lure.jpg (520KB, 3126x5000px) Image search: [Google]
pixel lure.jpg
520KB, 3126x5000px
>>859980
>>859965
I tried enhancing it.
>>
File: 1233610290_IMG0019012.jpg (13KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1233610290_IMG0019012.jpg
13KB, 400x300px
>>859934
>>859934
Torque may have been the wrong word, but let's go with bass gear
If you have a reel where the line is 1.5 inches (meme caster) away from the reelseat and one where it is 3 inches from the reel seat (spinning) you will need more material im the taller reel to match the strength of the lower reel

This is ignoring other failure points in the combo (gears, drag, etc)
Just going off reelseat strength . . .
Pic related
>>
File: 20160918_211415.jpg (5MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20160918_211415.jpg
5MB, 4128x3096px
>>859980
>>859985
>>
>>859976
It's eyes are so big!

>>859985
>>859980
>enhancing
Useless. Just make the file way bigger with the same pixels? Why?

Looks like a popper.
>>
File: ep 1.jpg (42KB, 438x328px) Image search: [Google]
ep 1.jpg
42KB, 438x328px
>>859991
Pic related 2
>>
>>859944
So can I spam this thread with every single baitfish I hook on a sabiki? That's essentially what pepsi does.
>>
>>859996
>>859991
Pic related 3
>>
>>859997
Go for it
But the whole sabiki catch per picture per CAst
Pepsi posts all the fish he caught on one cast
So if you make 15 casts that's 15 pictures of the baitfish and sabiki rig
Be sure to post the sabiki rig too and everything we want to know what you caught them on
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I don't have many pics but next time I go I'm gonna get pics of every single bait fish.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Snook candy
>>
>>859991
>>859996
this is retarded, reels have a drag which means it's not gonna snap off unless there is either a problem with the drag or the user stops the line intentionally and even then I doubt it'd break before most line
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
More snook candy
>>
>>859999
I'm still trying to decipher what you just said.
>>
>>860004
I've seen it happen and have photographic evidence that it happens
Its not crazy common but it does happen and is a consideration for me
>>
File: chinese_knockoff_lures.jpg (517KB, 960x2602px) Image search: [Google]
chinese_knockoff_lures.jpg
517KB, 960x2602px
>>859980
>>859985
>>859994
confirmed popper then?

i bought one of those mepps black furys someone was talking about, and this monster of a fish came buy and grabbed it. pulled so hard he just snapped my line. pic related will work just as well right? they're like 1/8th the price.

is there any way to make them heavier so i can cast them further with some strong line?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
good snook candy but not as good as sand perch or croakers
>>
>>860009
I have literally never seen nor heard of that happening and again the only way it could is if there was a problem with the drag and have a large fish/heavy line
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
rip baitfish 2016-2016
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>860000
These little guys change color when they're scared
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>
>>860014
I've seen it and posted pictures of it
And on the ocean where I witnessed it there is heavy line a plenty and sand/salt itching to bugger something up
You don't have to care or listen to me I'm just saying that a perfect storm of catastrophic failure is more likely on a spinning reel than a baitcaster
You might not care and it probably will never happen to you but I've seen it
Its like a popped festival, a urologist may never deal with one in his career but it happens
>>
>>860027
Testicle* bloody phone
>>
>>860027
its not anything that should decide what reels you purchase, especially since you live in fucking ohio and the biggest fish you'll ever pull in are small bass
>>
I'm all out of baitfish.

Next time I'll get pics of each individual threadfin I hook.
>>
>>860032
the difference between you and pepsi is that he's an interesting person who actually posts relevant information and helps others while the fish are generally there just because.

Not sure why you're so salty, it's not like he's trying to get praise for catching dinks.. just posting them alongside his addition to the conversation.
>>
>>860033
This
>>860030
Most of my reels are spinning reels I'm just saying the potential is very Mich there and when I'm after big fish I take it into consideration
Plus for some applications (soaking bait for cats, pin rigging in nc, heaving for drum, etc) a loud clicker is nice and I've yet to find a spinning reel with a baitrunner I can hear from more than 3 feet away
But even still I consider things like the stalk
That's why my frogging stick is a memecaster
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>860011
Should be fine. Only problem with cheaper inline spinners is the blades. They don't always spin as well. Mepps a GOAT
>>
Has anybody ordered fishing rods online? How are they shipped? Do they break?
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 736x504px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 736x504px
>>860027
Goddamn urologists and their music fests
>>
>>860056
I always hesitate to for a number of reasons. There is often extra shipping on rods, I worry that they might break (though I'm sure they would replace it after you pay to ship it back and wait 2 weeks) and rods are one of those things you really want to hold before buying. A 6'6" Medium Shimano can be way different from a 6'6" Medium Abu rod.

They probably ship em in those cardboard tubes.

New bread comin
>>
File: hurrrr.jpg (5KB, 200x154px) Image search: [Google]
hurrrr.jpg
5KB, 200x154px
>>860027
>>859999
Holy shit, dude
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>860063
>>
>>859777
>$60K minimum
if you want a starter meth house maybe
cannot find a house in my state for less than $120K
>>
>>860068
you can, you just aren't looking hard enough.
>>
File: spro_IMG_0708.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
spro_IMG_0708.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>859842
I swear by these. You can clip directly to lure or have leader already tied to lure and clip leader on tactical angler clip.
I tie the Spro swivel to the line and then use the TA clip direct to lure or leader.
>>
>>859859
>debt is making me bald
Not understanding genetics. Get over yourself...

Yeah,I'm bald but in a Sean Connery kind of hot way.
>>
File: 1459216281102.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459216281102.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>all this assblasted sour grapes in these threads

never gets old
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.