[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

South America

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Patagonia hiking.jpg (294KB, 651x395px) Image search: [Google]
Patagonia hiking.jpg
294KB, 651x395px
Hey,

I'm planning a 6-8 month backpacking trip in Central and South America. I am planning on solo hiking in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Patagonia. Hence I am looking for a tent and backpack recommendation.

I usually bring 35-45 litres worth of clothing and equipment with me when I am travelling, however usually I do not camp.

Could you give me some advice on approximately how much volume all the camping equipment takes up in a pack?

For the UK-based readers, could you recommend a good tents and backpack I should look out for?

I am a geologist, so I know the importance of having good equipment, which feels well (backpack/boots/jacket) and I currently use Kestrel 38 whenever I go hiking.

Ideally I am looking at lower-end tents or bivvys and good, solid backpacks.

Thanks guys.
>>
Anything else you need you pathetic slug?
>>
>>835073
RIP
>>
Judging from where you're going I assume you're going to be in the highlands/Andes? Make sure you know the ecosystems you're going to since northwestern South America has a huge range of ecosystems and the climate can vary wildly depending on where you are. Since you plan on going solo, learn as much Spanish as you can between now and then (if you don't already speak spanish). Columbia is less dangerous than it used to be, Ecuador is awesome and the people are very kind, Peru can be dangerous, and solo travelers like yourself are prime targets. That's about all my south American traveling experience, most important is knowing the language that will save your ass more than anything
>>
>>835073
Fuck off. We are full
>>
>>835178
Why are you so racist? People are the same everywhere
>>
>>835073
>I usually bring 35-45 litres worth of clothing and equipment with me when I am travelling, however usually I do not camp.
Kek what's your plan then? You don't even know how to pick up a fucking tent, your experience is limited to a daypack, and you want to backpack through snow, deserts, rain forests, srs high altitude mountains and who knows what else? You should stick to africa and nz. Srsly m8.
>>
>>835073
>Could you give me some advice on approximately how much volume all the camping equipment takes up in a pack?

The variance is too big for anyone to give you a really useful number. setups range from 45-50L to 80L for most people.
Choose a tent/sleeping bag/warm jacket, then more useful advice can be given. Dawn jacket/sleeping bag take a lot less volume than synthetic other, for example.
Tent can go from a 1 person bivvy to a 4kg Alpinist/expedition style hardcore tent.

For a tent recommendation you need to better specify which trails/routs are you planning to take and the season.

Personally can recommend Lowe Alpine backpacks, as well as Osprey (a bit more fragile, but a bit lighter) and Gregory (a bit heavier and sturdier).
>>
>>835293
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>835293
you've never been outside of your hometown have you?
>>
File: 1409784457868.jpg (18KB, 320x306px) Image search: [Google]
1409784457868.jpg
18KB, 320x306px
>>835293
i actually lol'd
>>
File: 1471120867379.png (77KB, 417x281px) Image search: [Google]
1471120867379.png
77KB, 417x281px
>>835178
>Peru can be dangerous, and solo travelers like yourself are prime targets
This. once you make it to Chile, the people are based as fuck, but Peruvians don't hesitate to get cash out of a person.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.