[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a PPL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: private_pilot_license.jpg (211KB, 900x400px) Image search: [Google]
private_pilot_license.jpg
211KB, 900x400px
I want to get my pilot's license. I figured this is the best board for this.

Has anyone done this here? Is it worth it? Did you buy a plane or just rent when you're up there?
>>
i wanna get a pilot license, buy a waterplane and a cabin out in nowhere, thats the dream
>>
File: 1470601892614.jpg (170KB, 1110x774px) Image search: [Google]
1470601892614.jpg
170KB, 1110x774px
>>832267
That sounds extremely comfy, friend
>>
I tried but lessons and renting even the shittiest cessnas gets expensive, maybe one day but for now I am content not blowing money on it
>>
>>832266
I am hopefully going to start toward my PPL next year once I start my post uni job.

Buying a plane is pretty unrealistic unless you're reasonably wealthy. You can get a 172 for like 20k, but ongoing maintenance and stuff will really add up. Best option is probably to buy a share in a plane with many other people then you share ownership. I would like to own my own eventually, but its just not realistic in the short term. Where abouts do you live? I'm in New Zealand and really want to learn to fly tail draggers for some nice back country flying. If you don't already watch them, check out FlightChops and MrAviation101 on youtube. Good channels that you can learn a bit from before you even start on your PPL
>>
Cost depends on the license you go after, but unless you know an instructor or something your best bet is to call some flight schools and see what they offer.

Figure $10k US for a private license, a little more than half that if you want to do Sport.

My brother was an instructor and owned a share of a plane. He got me the hours I needed for the price of fuel so I got a deal. I haven't kept up with physicals so I have only a Sport license now.

It is well worth it if you can afford to fly regularly or you live in a place where you need a plane to get into the good spots. Here in AK flying is pretty much the only way to get around long distances.
>>
i'll start my course next month
right now i am working on getting the medical licenses. i plan on becoming an agricultural pilot
>>
Probably >>>/n/ would be more useful
>>
Hey op. Its 7-8k and you can start up at any airport. My advice is a small one where the instructors are bored as shit. Ground school is a huge bitch. Be prepared, its like learning a new language. You are gonna have to be on top of your shit. Fly twice a week at minimum. Its going to be somewhere between 70 and 100 bucks an hour depending on what plane they have. I actually have a nice headset i could send you if you seriously get started. Itll save you a couple hundred bucks.
>>
File: 1411600646269.jpg (22KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1411600646269.jpg
22KB, 512x384px
>>832757
Fug thanks a lot anon.

I'm very far from even attempting flight school atm, just with uni and everything right now.

Hopefully after I graduate(2 years), but I am in school for Biochem, so keeping on top of a constant flow of knowledge shouldn't be too difficult. But I appreciate your offer m8, really do.

>>832330
I live in SoCal, but wish to move somewhere a little more remote.

>>832361
Alaska seems nice, and honestly I would only fly maybe once every couple months, like >>832267 said, that seems like a really comfy plan. Expensive, but something rally nice for an older guy established in the medical field. I also sub'd to those guys, thanks for that!

>>832386
I'll try there, danke.
>>
>>832330
Worst part about buying a share, is that it's hard to sell you share. I don't wanna share with cousin eddie and jamar because you did
>>
>>832266
I'm very close to getting my license and it's actually easier than one would expect. Buying your own plane is a bit expensive because of the annual and maintenance etc. I'd suggest, like another anon said, a small airport but one with an ATC tower. Much easier to learn with ATC now than to try and do it later.
>>
I just finished ground school, now what?
Is prepware any good?
>>
Military/civilian pilot here. ME Commercial with BE400(T-1) and 707 (KC-135) type ratings. Was a ppl before going to military pilot training. The actual best way in my opinion is to join a flying club. That's how I did it. What else do you want to know? I'll only be around until Friday and only at night because of work. Btw, totally worth it.
>>
>>833463
Is it true that having your PPL is a pretty much assured pilot job if you join the airforce?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>833468
No, but it doesn't hurt. Most guys don't have a license before being sent to pilot training. It does help a lot if you are a late rate (changing careers from a non flying job to a rated job I.E. Engineer to pilot like me). It shows you can fly a plane and aren't overly susceptible to air sickness. Pic related my job now.
>>
File: image.jpg (401KB, 2048x1463px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
401KB, 2048x1463px
>>833469
Also many many people with a ppl wash out of Undergraduate Pilot Training. That shit is not easy.
>>
>>833471
Is there any big cause for washouts?
I know it sounds stereotypical and childish, but I really want to fly F-35s or Strike Eagles.
>>
>>833473
Mostly I saw people not being able to handle the stress of Checkrides or just plain not having the decision making skills or quick thinking necessary to fly high performance aircraft. Their is actually a shortage of fighter pilots currently. I'd take the 15 over the 35. Things a pos in my opinion. Although going out and pulling g's wasn't really my thing so I'm not the best to ask about pointy noses. 6 g's in a T-6 was quite enough for me.
>>
>>833477
Sorry for the grammar fails. I'm super tired and have another 12 hour day tomorrow starting at 645
>>
>>833479
>>833477
Thanks for the answers. Is the KC-135 as overpowered as I've heard?
>>
>>833481
It's so overpowered it's actually dangerous. Still holds a time to climb record somewhere. It's a hell of a jet.
>>
File: 1447149044125.jpg (852KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447149044125.jpg
852KB, 1920x1080px
>>833463
What is your stance on buying vs. renting a plane for use?

Also
>tfw will never fly glorious 18's
>>
>>833487
There is a break even point for renting. It used to be somewhere around 100 hours a year where it became cheaper to own. It's probably more than that now. There are some very affordable planes out there, most notably tripacers and Grumman Yankees. If you can, get your A&P and do your own maintenance, that's where aircraft get expensive. Also I'm ok with not flying the hornet. Like I said, g's aren't really my thing and neither is being on a boat for months. Or being a Marine really.
>>
>>833487
>Glorious 18
>glorious
>18
>glorious
>1
>8

>not objectively best modern naval fighter f 14
>>
>>833745
The objectively best modern naval fighter would be the F-35C. The F-14, especially the D, was fantastic in its time.
>>
File: 1470707006960.png (4MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470707006960.png
4MB, 1920x1200px
>>833745
>>833931
>>
>>833650
Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks PilotBro.
>>
>>833471
Did you do ROTC?
>>
>>834123
Yeah.
>>
>>833931
F-35 is a hunk of crap. The super hornet is a better plane. Military acquisitions are fucked up.
>>
>>834787
>F-35 is a hunk of crap
If you only listen to people like Carlos Kopp and Pierre spray, yes.
It's arguably the best fighter in the world, possibly only second to the F-22. For air to ground, it's fantastic too.
>>
>>834796
It's impossible to maintain, has an un impressive payolad, combat range and is prohibitively expensive. It should have been scrapped years ago.
>>
>>834963
>has an un impressive payolad, combat range
>18000 lb payload
>18k pounds of internal fuel
>Designed to be easier to maintain than predecessors
>Under 100mil per plane
For scale, a new strike eagle is a bit north of 110 million, and a new F-16 isn't all that cheaper.
Where did you hear that from?
>>
>>835242

Under $100 million only in their promises and projections for "someday".

Current price is about $100 million plus $20 million more for the engine. To be fair, the price has finally started falling.

I'd say it's a good fighter, but a terrible procurement cycle.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.