[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 73

File: image.jpg (138KB, 620x707px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 620x707px
#73-"Low, Low Prices for Dick's" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>829585

Other anons caught the bug, went to Dick's for something simple and walked out with 25 different baits. It's impossible to refuse these $3 Rapalas.

Pastebin and Imgur. Thinkin about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>832144
Those Keitechs are always on sale and I keep wanting to buy them but swimbaits haven't been hitting much with the warm water. I definitely need to get a few before the fall though.

Did they have any Scatter Raps left for $3?
>>
>>832157
I bought the swim baits because I can use them in salt and fresh.

The one near me in Austin had tons of scatter raps left. Too bad our bodies of water are really shallow (pleb wade/shore fisherman), they dive too deep for me to use effectively. I was looking for more of those gary yamamoto baits but couldn't find any.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>832161
Yeah a lot of the Yamamoto stuff was wiped last weekend too with the $3ea sale. They had these black topwaters that I wanted to grab when they were finally less than $8 but couldn't find any. I do like the couple jerkbaits I got but they are a little small for larger LMB's.

And most of those Scatter Raps don't dive that deep. Even their medium ones will only go like 4'.
>>
>>832153
Still looking for anyone in the 515 area. Was wondering how good shore fishing at Ada Hayden Heritage Lake was. Going for bass and catfish.
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 800x600px
>>
>>832275
The banquet beer.
>>
>>832161
>>832146
super spook ftw
walking the dog with top water
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2428x2389px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2428x2389px
>>832293
Yeah that's my future wife.

>>832303
With topwater, I normally go with poppers and just kinda walk with those. I did grab some prop lures and walking lures, another bait I'm waiting for fall to use. I think I have a Rapala SkitterProp and SkitterWalk, then I grabbed a baby bass Heddon Torpedo, and then one of those Yamamotos is a walker.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>832303
>>832323
And when the topwaters do finally start working again, I think I want to get down on another Yo-Zuri or two. I was playing around with the silver one here knowing they wouldn't hit it anyway but when I walked it, it would hop really far from left to right. Never seen a popper move like that.

And I'm still waiting to see if Dick's will ever have a sale on the Megabass poppers. Those things look so awesome but I won't spend $20 on a bait.
>>
>>832323
>poppers
Them too but the strippers like the spooks. I've been trying to find larger than the Heddon's. I know they're out there. Saw them this spring at the RI Salt show
>>
>>832326
And you say you're dedicated....

I need more hard baits...my collection consists of 15 ancient crank baits I inherited from my grandpa. Shit was made in the 60s. They look cool as shit though. I want to make a shadow box out of them.
>>
>>832362
Look for some Rapala stuff maybe? They have some big X-Raps, they may have some larger Skitter Props or Pops or even Walks.

>>832382
Idk, poppers are fun when they are working but jerkbaits arenprobably my favorite hardbait like that. When the water cools off a little or it I'm fishing in the midwest, give me an X-Rap and a Mepps.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Found some old reels in my garage today. The Mitchell's is super shit and wobbles with every turn. I tried to break it down to make it functional but I doubt I'll ever use it anyway so I didn't bother. The Shimano reel still work fine. I'll probably rig it up for my dad since it's his and he probably hasn't seen it for 15+ years
>>
File: image.png (979KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
979KB, 500x500px
things are slow in here. I'm going to post my five favorite hard baits, guaranteed to catch smallmouth, walleye and northern pike.

1/5
Rapala Original Floating Minnow F11 Gold Flourescent Red
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
2/5
Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow SBR
>>
File: image.png (181KB, 1000x715px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181KB, 1000x715px
3/5 Rapala Down Deep Husky Jerk firetiger
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 600x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 600x275px
4/5
Mepps Musky Killer
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 300x225px
5/5
Saving the best Trout and Smallmouth lure on this planet for last, the discontinued Mepps Elix
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>832455
This is the best producing smallmouth bait imo
>>
Hypothetically: It's the middle of a warm day and I'm on the edge of a drop off near some big rocks near the shore of a lake. I'm fishing with stinkbait and the lake has recently been stocked with catfish.

Do I have a good chance to catch one or is it not the right conditions for them?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2804x3485px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2804x3485px
The best braid ever made
>>
>>832459
I don't man, I just can't see the difference in plastics. If the fish are biting, they're biting.

I've never seen a difference between a Yamamoto senko or a YUM dinger. Call me ignorant, but its all just salt impregnated plastic soaked in 40 weight.
>>
>>832562
Obviously all plastics are essentially the same.... I just prefer that shape, color and thicknes when it comes to baits like those. I've used several other brands of senko like baits and none have been as good as the yamamoto's imo
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>832546
At least it isn't SpiderWire.

>>832451
>>832447
Have you tried the X-Raps yet? Best color for me has been the "Gold" which is more of a copper and orange. But there are a ton of good X-Rap colors.

>>832521
Idk about the temps, but one thing I do know is that nightfishing for channel cats isn't all it's cracked up to be. It is just as easy to get them in the day. But you want to move around if they aren't biting until you find the right spot.
>>
Anybody catch anything good today? My first time fishing this season because of work and I got this largemouth on a 5 in Gary Yamamoto Senko
>>
>>832652
>tfw moar rain
Good afternoon for a nap. Now I'm never going to get to sleep.
>>
>>832633

Ive been using spiderwire in saltwater, it's not bad.
>>
>>832666
I have Spiderwire on a few rods and PowerPro on the rest. SpiderWire seems to be a little more smooth and flexible at first, but it frays really easily. I'm constantly having to cut off a few feet of line on the rods with Spiderwire and I almost never have to do it with the PowerPro.
>>
does hook color matter?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>832675
I know sometimes companies use red as in spots where they really want the fish to strike. So with inlines, sometimes they will have red hooks or Mepps puts the little red bit at the end so fish strike near the hook. I understand the theory, it looks like blood and means injured and easy prey.

I use red hooks and silver hooks for Texas rigged stuff, all depends what color I grab out of the tackle bag. I have no clue if it really makes a diffrence.
>>
Does /FTG/ primarily shore fish or boat/float fish?

Preference for lakes or rivers?
>>
>>832684
most of us are poorfag bank fisherman. I fish both salt (wade the surf/marsh) and fresh water lakes (never go in b/c gators). Also texas coast rivers are basically chocolate milk or black coffee year round.

>>832546

I use power pro super 8 and normal power pro.. It's pretty comparable to sufix 832.
>>
nothing hit in the last hour, i even resorted to wacky rigging. zip zero zilch. had the same report from people a couple hours ago.

i've had more luck from midnight to sunrise lately than anything in the afternoon.
>>
>>832702
That's crazy. I need to get out there for one of those late nights, especially with all this BS rain in the afternoons.
>>
If I stream fishing on twitch would anyone be interested? I can fish from my house for leopard sharks and bat rays and I'm normally pretty successful.
>>
>>832707
Tbqhwy I would rather be out there on my own.

There are a couple anons with youtube vids, just do that if you really want to film it and share it here.

Speaking of which, is Mainebub ded?
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 750x1300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 750x1300px
>>832684
can't afford a boat
>>
>>832684
Canoe otherwise I'm close to a few rivers that I'll wade up & down. Also ice too >>832707
>>
>>832710
I can't either. My grandfather had a boat. I used to go out with him almost every weekend before I moved 1000 miles away. Since then his health has declined and the boat just sits there in his garage these days.

Damn shame.

The bank fishing I do now is nothing compared to what we used to do. I used to fill an ice chest with crappie and bream. Now I'm lucky if I watch enough for meal in an afternoon.
>>
>>832684

Mostly out on a boat. If I go from shore it's for shits and giggles after/before work.

That said, my 1st memecaster and appropriate rod just came in. Went all Shimano- Curado EJ+Terez Waxwing rod. Haven't tried the combo yet, but it feels pretty good. Definitely not something I'm going to be climbing cliffs with though, too long and feels pretty delicate compared to the other stuff I've been using from shore.

I might get a smaller 2pc casting rod if I like the reel enough. The low-profile aspect seems like it wouldn't snag shit all the time like my spinners do.
>>
>>832684
I've got a fishing kayak. My brother has a boat and I go out with him sometimes, but he mainly trolls. A lot more fun in the kayak.
>>
>>832710
>>832765
I had a boat, but got rid of it. It was so much hassle and not at all as fun as it seemed like it was going to be.
>>
Anyone bought a telescopic rod?
I'm considering buying one, but I'm not sure
>>
>>832964
I've used one before, never caught anything with it though. Never tossed anything more than light tackle, but it managed to cast fairly well.

Extremely convenient for storage though
>>
Brother and me took his son and god son on their first fishing trip yesterday. Small farm pond our dad took us to when we were little. They're 2.5 and 4.

Jesus, they were afraid of everything. Didn't want to wander into the grass. Didn't want to help catch (or even look at) grasshoppers or worms. When we caught some Green sunfish, they were afraid to come within arm's length of them for a picture. The 4 year old started crying when one started flopping and he thought it was chasing him. Then some cattle wandered over to drink and they ran for the truck and refused to get out.

While we were tempted to blame their overly protective moms (they don't let them near dogs or cats), it was their first outing in the country, so we understood that they might have been overwhelmed.

But still.
>>
>>832967
The storage is the big point for me, since I could take it on my motorcycle easy and it'd fit in the back of my car without poking me in the back of the head
>>
>>832964

Yep, and supposedly one of the better ones. It sucks shit compared to even those 3-4 piece breakdown rods.
>>
>>832979
That's very unfortunate
Ah well
>>
>>832964
Yeah, I have one that slides down from about 4'6" to 18" in 3 pieces. I use it mainly in scottish lochs where i'm fishing without a permit on private land. I dunno I just don't enjoy hunting/fishing unless I'm poaching. I usually just leave a Mepps on ther and have a few cheeky casts. Catch a trout or so for dinner and call it a day. If anyone comes I can just wind the reel and the whole rod collapses and goes in my backpack in 30 seconds and out come the sandwiches and the innocent face. But they're definitley a compromise and I wouldn't use it for anything else
>>
>>832964
>>832984
I used a few for years.

They are like every other rod. Nothing special other than the telescoping feature. The breakdown rods will fly apart if you don't tighten them properly and the telescoping rods will slide in if you don't tighten them properly. The later is less disastrous than what the former can be.

Like all other rods, if you overtighten them, it sucks getting it collapsed again.

But there's literally no other distinction between them and regular rods. I personally don't like telescoping or breakdown rods. All mine are solid pieces so I don't have to fool around with that shit anymore.
>>
>>832974
Get them out there as often as possible. Sounds like they need a Daisy Red Ryder too.

>>832976
This >>832979
Get a 4pc that breaks down into 18" sections.
>>
>>832974
They'll grow out of it I'd you keep exposing them. I was very much an indoor kid growing up. My grandpa took me fishing every once in a while, but I didn't care about it much.

I was maybe 16 before I really starts getting into it.
>>
>>832974
Jesus Christ, your brother needs to try harder to uncuck those kids. Can't imagine all these numales growing up and running the country
>>
File: image.png (311KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
311KB, 1242x2208px
Any of you guys looking at telescopic poles look into travel rods? They come in a small tube that has a sling and you put it over your shoulder like a bag. This one on bass pro has variable pieces for different fishing conditions. Kinda neat
>>
>>832994

They're a lot weaker than comparable single and 2pc rods.
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 640x1136px
>>832706
>>832702
http://mysterytacklebox.com/blog/3-best-presentations-night-fishing/?utm_source=Monthly+Newsletter&utm_campaign=56b8f4c183-MONTHLY_NEWSLETTER_NON_SUB&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2e5c13e67e-56b8f4c183-82023885&mc_cid=56b8f4c183&mc_eid=f4a7ff4f10
>>
>>833085
Not the ones I used in the past. I don't know the name of the company or models of the rods.

Unrelated fact, they were the only ones my retaliates/friends didn't slam in car doors and break the tips off. That and a metal rod I had for a short while.
>>
>>833106
Probably a good time to ask. How is the mystery tackle box anyway? Is it worth the money or another gimmick like every other subscription box.

Also, are you in southeast Michigan Pepsi? Wondering if you knew of any good shore fishing areas.
>>
>>833120

Then you were using shit rods or only go freshwater.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>833138
SE Florida, so no idea about anything in MI.

And I did a 3 month subscription to MTB. A bunch of people here signed up for MTB and LTB when they had the $10 off codes so 3mos of MTB was like $33. Look for those codes if you are thinking about it.

They're definitely worth it. With the bass boxes, they normally include a crankbait that retails for $10-$15, so that covers the cost of the box right there. And they will send you some shit you wouldn't use otherwise so it gets you to try some different lures. They have panfish boxes, trout boxes, inshore salt, etc too and you can change it every month. As for MTB vs LTB, they are almost exactly the same thing from seeing everybody else's boxes.

It's also an inexpensive way to build up your tackle collection if you don't have much. Everything they send is higher end, no generic $2 spinners or cranks. With the coupon code on 3mos, you end up getting $100 worth of tackle for $33. I didn't renew it because I already can't fit my crankbaits into my tackle bag so I'm trying to slow down and only buy stuff I really like.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>833138
>>833153
And this was the MTB "Pro" bass box. If you want a little extra one month, you can pay $10 more and they will send you $40 worth of stuff instead of $25-$30. So this box basically cost me $21 and that Lucky Craft crankbait after taxes would cost about that much.
>>
>>832684
I've got a jon boat set up for catfishing but i do a lot of wading. I fish rivers and small creeks most often but when i boat i go to the local lake right where two rivers enter.
>>
File: image.jpg (476KB, 3019x1209px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
476KB, 3019x1209px
Who /chatter bait/ here?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>833164
I own 2 of them but have yet to use them.

I was just reading that little night fishing article, and I'm thinking about getting out there around sunset. Definitely going to fuck me for work tomorrow but whatever. Makin some food now, gonna digest and watch TV and wait for like 7pm.
>>
>>833166
Been killing the LMB's on weed beds with em lately. Make sure you put a matching trailer on it.
>>
>>833170
Finally got the hang of corbina sight fishing in the surf. Got 2 to bite, but both got away. First one broke the leader since my drag was too tight for 4 lb leader. 2nd one threw the hook after 2 minutes of fighting.

Now i see the fun satisfaction and frustration of corbina fishing. I hate it when I make a perfect cast and lead the sand crabs right into the corbina just right in time for it to turn its head away and start swimming other direction
>>
>>833180
Oppps didn't mean to quote >>833170
>>
>>833156
>>833153
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try it out.
>>
>>833191
Did you find the code? I think MTB was "GET499" but it was a while ago
>>
All you asshats and your talk of Bass has been distracting me from my fly fishing over the last two weeks.

This weekend I need to wet some Nymphs. Anyone else?
>>
>>833192
Yeah I did but thanks for looking out.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 1024x768px
What's the reason for springing for a spinning reel in the $60-70 range instead of a Shimano Sienna in the $20-30 range? What are they better at?

Also, I've noticed a shitload of spinning really in the $300+ range. What do these offer?
>>
>>833271
Lighter, smoother (drag and reeling), better materials, more durable.
>>
>>833271
>really
reels
>>
>>833106

read the article, thanks.

i have never fished a worm longer than a 10 inch culprit (black shad my favorite) but i was looking at some of those mann's jelly worms that are a foot long on the cheap, now i think i will pick some up and try them out tomorrow night.

finding those 10 inch culprits has been harder since i got back into fishing than it was a few years ago.
>>
>>833271
They're a lot smoother and they feel so much more well built. I personally most likely wont spend more than $150 on a spinning reel though, unless I was buying saltwater stuff. I don't think there's that much of an improvement over the $70ish range to really justify the price for reels smaller than 3500 or so.
>>
>>833153
>>833156

once i have my tackle box filled (and it pretty much is filled) with what i want, i'll likely subscribe to one of these things if only to make my internet dick look better. i figure i can allow 20 bucks a month to fishing shit i don't really need but kinda want, so it does all the mental gymnastics necessary.

7:45 i'm going out to fish, wish me luck. gonna start with those swimmin' super fluke jr's. and work my way out from there. might throw in a 7.5 inch black shad cuplrit on a heavy sinker for good measure.
>>
>>833164

i've been looking at whores on chaturbate for the last hour if that counts.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>833320
You'll like it. It gives a you a little something to look forward to every week especially since you don't know what's going to be in it. I've had it for two years and still get excited when I get mine
>>
>>833341

that's an interesting tackle box setup....i've always had the stepped style or double side plano boxes instead of just throwing a bunch of 3 dollar customized boxes into a nylon bag. is that the cool thing to do nowadays?
>>
>>833346
I've had my fair share of big clunky Plano boxes. Although they do their job, they don't have enough room for my stuff in it. the gander tackle bags have a shit ton of pockets all around them that I love. With that box in that pic I also have the option to bunge one of those boxes on the lid for easy access to a type of bait I'll will be throwing for the day. Overall in my experience the bag boxes are always superior to classic boxes.
>>
>>833341
Link me to that box?
>>
>>833365
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Soft-Tackle-Bag-3700&i=762147
>>
>>833346
I have three Plano boxes; panfish, bass, flies. I stick all three in my backpack and always have whatever I need.
>>
So I just bought this new reel will a huge spool but I only have 100 yds of braid, is it ok to fill some of it up with mono or will the braid cut through it?
>>
>>833404
its very common to do so. uni to uni knot.
>>
>>832546
Suffix a shit
PowerPro MaxQuatro is GOAT
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 398x307px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 398x307px
>>833456
>not alberto knot
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>833279
I mean the worm they linked in the article was like 7" or something. So as long as you go with a big curly tail or something like a Zoom Trick worm, it should be fine.

>>833346
Tackle bags > tackle boxes
>>
>>832275
Is that your gf?
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 236x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 236x306px
>>833604
She would be my wife if she were mine. I love me a qt redhead.
>>
anyone here like to do some wading?

I used to go to this river by my childhood home and would wade and bass. I actually prefer that to kayak or bank fishing.
>>
>>833635
In the early spring I like to bring my boat up the river until it's too shallow to go any further. I beach the boat and walk up to where there are deep pockets on the sides of the river and throw senkos for small mouth. So much fun.
>>
>>833635
I want to buy some waders for river fishin, is it better to buy ones with boots attached or no?
>>
>>833668
I don't know the answer to that question, just wanted to say check out the Cabela's waders. Lots of people seem to like those and they aren't overpriced.
>>
>>833730
that's where I was going to get them from
>>
>>833668
I can't speak much from experience, as I only have the full chest waders for duck hunting, but I've heard that it depends a lot on how much walking you will do and over what terrain.

I can tell you from experience the boots attached to waders are like any other rubber boots. They're not super comfy, they'll probably be a bit big, and you'll probably get blisters.

If you plan on walking a lot, I'm told you should get real felt soled wading boots. They're more comfy, and the grab on better in the water.
>>
>>833742
Also, id like to add that you don't NEED waders to wade. I wade up and down rivers all the time in some quick dry nylon shorts (Duluth Trading Company) and a pair of water shoes (I have some chacos).

The only thing neoprene waders will really do other than keep you dry, is keep you warm. So it depends on where you live and what time of the year you'll be going out.
>>
>>833742
>>833748
i need them for fishing in the winter in WA so can't do shorts and water boots. guess I'll go the waders and wading boots route. Thanks
>>
>>833730
>>833739
Herters are basically better cabellas

Cabellas aren't bad but a while back had a bad batch where alot of them leaked by the feet

Frog togs suck absolute shit

Lacrosse and proline e are better higher end but are bulky and heavy

If I were to buy myself a pair I would get herters
Though 95% sure herters makes the cabellas brand and just rebrands it with slightly different colors

For $80 it's hard to go wrong even if they only last a season of heavy use
>>
I'm ready for summer to be over already.

All I want to do is get some weekday fishing in. Busted ass at work today so I was off by like 1:30. It was hot as hell, so I'm still exhausted. Too hot to go fishing right after work, so I'm waiting for the sun to go down a little. But that still won't be til like 8pm, I have to be up at 4:30am, and there are storms hanging around just to the west. Fuck.

The storms will probably break up by dusk, but I'm not sure I will make it til then without passing the fuck out.
>>
>>833861
>drive 30 minutes to the lake
>get out of the truck and start fishin
>sweat starts pouring off of my hands and face after 10 minutes of standing on the bank
>leave after 5 more minutes

God I hate this fucking heat.
>>
>>833866
how hot?
>>
>>833868
94 with 70% humidity. I had a big hat on so the sun itself wasn't really the issue it was the humidity
>>
>>833872
It's not even that hot here, but high 80s and sunny normally. I really don't mind dealing with it because it is always breezy too, but I'm enjoying the AC after slangin cases of soda in the heat all day.

Plus the bass fishing is so shitty with the heat. I kinda want to hit this big lake again that I tried for the first time on Saturday before I got rained out 10min in. There are at least sneks in there which will bite when it's hot. But I need to find more spots where I can fish from the shoreline. There are a couple tiny gaps in the bushes that I can barely cast through and then one corner with maybe 20' where I can cast. I may have to explore more or try to get into this neighborhood on the other side.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fucking bass are just waking up to the alarm clock. Unfortunately it is set for Pepsi's bedtime when it is hot out.
>>
No state drivers license, no fishing license.

Suffering. Cant replace my drivers license until i get some bills as proof of address too
>>
>>833980
next pic? or too much clothes
>>
File: image.jpg (299KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299KB, 640x1136px
>>834058
I saved it. Other anon already made a ton of them though and I'm lazy so I have just been using those.
>>
>>834058

she's all covered up and likely on the rag with that shit tied around her waist.

why women even bother doing that shit idk. hey i'm bleeding out my pussy with a little cotton ball to hold it back but let me still wear thongs and tight pants because rawr strong independent black woman. but ima cover that shit up just in case i get some leakage.
>>
little tip for catfishers:

wrap about a yard of sewing thread around your chicken livers
don't even bother tying it or knotting it just wrap it around

works better than pantyhose or freezing or drying or anything else out there
>>
>>834069

i bought some dead shad in a bag for 3 bucks on a whim. most shit i've read says leave them out in the sun for days to get them to start stinking a bit.

starting to think i would have done better to just get the treble hooks with sponges and some stink in a squeeze bottle but i don't much care to fish for cats. i was thinking more of using the shad as a jig and maybe catching some mudfish or bottom bass.
>>
>>834064
Bottom left next please
>>
File: image.jpg (332KB, 1242x1222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
332KB, 1242x1222px
Ish Monroes gf is a qt
>>
File: 0810162325-1.jpg (528KB, 1743x1414px) Image search: [Google]
0810162325-1.jpg
528KB, 1743x1414px
Katatonia - Tonight's Decision.

Good night fishing music.
>>
Hey guys, I've never really been fishing but am going this weekend.

What's a good bait to use in shallow fresh water? I'm going to be fishing in our local bayous(basically where run off water collects) and the water is maybe 6 feet deep at the max.
I live in Eastern Texas so its fairly hot.
>>
>>834122

Trick worms, no or small sinker.
>>
>>834124
So those fake worms are trick worms?

And what do you mean by
>no
>>
File: 1470887298452402406168.jpg (882KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1470887298452402406168.jpg
882KB, 2048x1536px
>>834126

Trick worms are the normal size zoom trick worms. They have a great top water to say 2 feet deep action without a sinker. Add a light sinker to fish a bit deeper.
>>
File: image.jpg (171KB, 650x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171KB, 650x429px
>>834104
Coalburner
>>
>>834136

Eww snakehead sucking whore
>>
two words:
big net
>>
the only hits i got tonight were on the mann's 12 inch worms. gave up after two hours, nothing hit anything else. nothing. so i'll just enjoy my day off in peace reading shit on 4chan and sleeping.
>>
File: IMG_20160810_185323.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_185323.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
>>
>>834242

>knife in brain meme

that's not a snek.
>>
>>834243
whats memey about killing the fish?
>>
>>834066
Or it could also be a rain jacket they brought with them since they're out on a party boat and it may rain
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>834118
Fatty worms

>>834126
Trick worms are made by Zoom and are fairly large. The bigger one in this lic is a Trick Worm. Good for medium to large bass. They work in a lot of conditions but there is no one correct lure. I normally Texas rig them and fish em slow on the bottom.

If you are brand mew to fishing, you may just want to grab live nightcrawlers and fish them on a bobber.
>>
>>834246
You cut its gills and let it bleed out, you fucking moron.
>>
Going to the south of Mallorca soon. Anybody have any experience with shore fishing there? What kind of species and what bait and gear should i bring?
>>
>>834260
>If you are brand mew to fishing, you may just want to grab live nightcrawlers and fish them on a bobber.

I couldn't agree more. Damn near 100% guaranteed to catch something with a live worm even if it is just a 4 inch bluegill.
>>
>>834264
? It literally makes no difference how the fish is killed you retard, as long as it's quick who cares
>>
>>834293
Personally, I would rather a quick knife through the brain stem than to slowly bleed out through my lungs.
>>
You guys get your ltbs and mtbs?

My mtb got shipped to my old address fug

ltb awol
>>
>>834330
I usually just beat em against a tree or a rock.

I feel like gollum if I'm having a good day
>>
>>834343
Call em. Mainebub had a couple go missing when he moved and they fucked up forwarding the packages. They sent new ones right away.
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 960x960px
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211KB, 640x1136px
Where are you fags at today?

Anybody else see this email from LTB? "Theme Boxes" starting at $19.99. Intredasting.
>>
>>834242
>>
>>834587
I got the finnese one. It was pretty neat.
>>
>>834587
Very interesting.

Anyone know about their panfish box offerings? I'm tempted to subscribe to that over the bass boxes.
>>
>>834617
Call me weird. But that doesn't look terribly appetizing.
>>
>>834617

I could take a shit that looks more appetizing than that
>>
>>834639
It's worth trying I'm sure. Even if you have a 6 month subscription, you can always do a month of panfish and switch back to bass the next month if you want.
>>
Okay listen up you fucking cretins I'm going to share with you the superior method for killing fish

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikejime

There is no reason to kill a fish in any other manner

Now cease your gill cutting or bashing against trees or whatever other stupid shit you morons do to kill fish
>>
It's a pepsifag personal blog episode.
>>
>>834746
I just bite their heads off immediately after landing em. Get on my level.
>>
>>834761
Literally every fishing general ever

Homie needs a gf bad so he can stop spending so much time on the chon
>>
>>834746

>le superior nippon culture maymay

noone cares kiddo
>>
What would anons recommend to someone who is too poor for a fishing pole and lives near water, making them want to catch fish so they actually can eat and get protein.
Not for me and personally I'm /out/ but never fish so I really don't know what he should do.
>>
>>834617
stuffed with onions, garlic, and yellowfoot chanterelles
>>
>>834645
>>834650
>>834645

why do you care what it looks like? ask how it tastes,
>>
Anyone have issues with power-pro 10 and 15?

I spooled it up on my curados and stratics for some bay fishing and it was fucking snapping on casts, literally chucking away my lure with line trailing after it. Happened 3 times in 2 hours, all different reels.
>>
>>834820
Pawn shop fishing pole.
>>
>>834850
Put on a flouro "shock leader".
Google it
>>
>>834850

Why are you using ultralight braid if you aren't even doing anything finesse?
>>
>>834782
This is true. I still have lots of random breaks at work to lurk though.

>>834761
>pepsi asking and answering questions
Far from a blogpost. I could tell you some really boring stories tht go nowhere if you would like.

>>834820
You don't have $20? It will suck but it will be better than nothing.
>>
>>834879
The 10 goes on my trout rods and most of the trout around here are smallish.

It really helps you feel those small tap bites they usually do and set the hook at the right time. It's not so necessary with larger ones.
>>
I'm really tempted to get a "free" boat off craigslist
The boat is free but I'd have to buy the trailer

No paperwork and whether or not it's water ready or the only issues, but I wonder if working with those are worth it
>>
>>835014
>No paperwork
Depending on your state, no. I've got a boat and trailer from Indiana with no paperwork and am trying to get things straight in Illinois. Pre 1973 Indiana boats didn't have to be titled so it just plain fucking doesn't have one. Illinois doesn't give a shit and demands a title. It's been a three year fucking nightmare. NIGHTMARE.

And there's a reason the boat was no longer used to the point that they're giving it away....
>>
>>835019
>Illinois doesn't give a shit and demands a title
Then I'm fucked cause I live in Illinois
However he does have another listing for a free boat WITH paperwork

The one without paperwork was a big ol boy too so rip
>>
File: wp.jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wp.jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
>>835023
You can get a replacement title from the state the boat was registered in but the seller has to cooperate with you as they're the one that has to get it. If it was from IL it has to go through DNR and they do everything through the mail which is even more of a pain in the ass. The trailer goes through the Secretary of State's office. They're both about a hundred bucks each. Then the trailer and boat both have to be licensed. So you're set back about $250 plus your time at this point and still unsure if the boat runs or if the trailer is roadworthy. The trailer's lights certainly won't work. There's another 40. New PFD's and NON EXPIRED (that's key) flares is another 60.

Boat:
Break
Out
Another
Thousand
>>
>>835035
I'd rather get the less impressive boat and pay the regular fees and fix whatever is wrong than fuck around getting other
It'd be cheaper for me too since it's a smaller boat
>>
>>835023
>listing for a smaller free boat WITH paperwork
big boats are a PIA to trailer and day use and I actually like hauling. Unless you have a mooring or place on water to keep it you'll barely use it.
Smaller boats are very easy to trailer and unload /load.
I believe you would use it more if it's not a major project every time

I own a 21 ft and am less than 3 miles to ocean and it's never seen saltwater because the cleanup is such a PIA.
>>
>>835038
I think you're on the right track. Are we talking fishing rig, runabout, what is it? Motor or oars?

Not trying to steal your deal, I just love boating...even if it is expensive.
>>
>>835062
The smaller one is a 16 ft bass boat, single motor
The bigger one has less information on the ad but its a 26 ft cruiser with inboard/outboard
>>
>>835072
>26 ft cruiser with inboard/outboard
For free? Avoid that like the plague.

There's nothing on a 16 foot boat that a person with reasonable carpentry,mechanical and electrical aptitude can't fix. Go for it!
>>
>>835081
I'm VERY tempted to
Just gotta look a bit more into the fees and insurance, and such, and how much the guy wants for the trailer
>>
>>835085
Call your car/home insurance provider. My homeowner insurance covers liability to 1M on boats under 20ft less than 75hp.
>>
>>834820
>>834853
>>834932
Guy was eating less than 1000 calories a day and couldn't afford meats or cheeses, I'm assuming 20 dollars is quite a lot to him.
Basically what I told him though, look at craigslist or yardsales and everything, the pole won't make him love fishing but it surely will catch a few fish.
>>
>>835102
The other option is to go full 3rd world and use a piece of wood to wind your line around.
>>
>>835108
That's honestly what I was thinking but I honestly don't know if it would be effective enough to use to get your food.
Guys from New Zealand btw, was posting on /fit/ but us /fit//out/ists redirected him here.
Not sure why I'm asking and not letting him do it himself, but guy is thinking about doing heavy workout loads while on less than 1000 cals and that's honestly worrying.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>835006
I'm a big fan of the 10lb braid. It's good for 1000-2000 size reels on ML to M rods. I can toss 1/8oz Mepps on the 10lb braid all day and when a big snek or bass comes out of nowhere and hitsnit, I don't have to worry about losing the thing.

Pic related. 4lb+ bass that hit a tiny Rooster Tail on a light reel that had braid.

>inb4 2lb fish
Retards
>>
>>835111
I wasn't having any issues with fish breaking the line, only casts.
Didn't have that problem with the 20 lb.

I guess I'll have to do that shock leader suggestion, since I'm tossing away $3 every time it breaks.
>>
>>835110
People live off the fish they catch with those shitty wood block setups.
>>
>>835116
Forgot to answer that part of it.

I have had that happen on the memecaster before. My best guess is sometimes when I backlash it, it will make a crease in the line where it knots and put quite a bit of stress. Then when I get a snag later, it ends up breaking right in that spot.

Never had an issue with it on spinning reels.
>>
>>835121
I was up on the front of the boat casting on flats, so I was giving it a hard sling every time. I guess that's just too much for it with a 1/8 oz. Jig head with a swimbait tied on.
>>
>>835128
Keep an eye out for weak spots. I'm suprised that happened but maybe a shock leader is what you need. Is it PowerPro?
>>
>>835130
PowerPro 10 on the spinning gear and 15 on the baitcasters.

I'm considering the shock leader, but I suspect I might lose that sensitivity I'm shooting for.
>>
>>835136
A few feet of mono as a shock leader will be nothing like running a whole spool of it.
>>
File: fischerman3.jpg (495KB, 1762x1166px) Image search: [Google]
fischerman3.jpg
495KB, 1762x1166px
Shore fishermen.

Do any of you use these? How hard are they to install in most instances and how often do you have to replace them?
>>
>>835173
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/08/the-stilt-fishermen-of-sri-lanka.html
>>
Do I go out fishing tonight and sleep in tomorrow? Or stay in tonight with a 30% chance of waking up to my alarm and getting out early in the AM?
>>
>>835215
how do you know there'll be a tomorrow? there are no guarantees, peps. when in doubt, fish.
>>
>>835217
Kek I'm in my car heading to the lake. I always do this and tell myself I will just get to bed early and go out early in the AM but then I end up sleeping in.

Gonna see if I can find more shore fishing spots at this one lake I tried for the first time last weekend. It started storming like 10min after I got there on Saturday.
>>
If I am using heavy braid, should I use a fluoro leader on a popper? I don't care when I'm fishing a senko or something but I don't want to break off a $10 lure.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is where I wish I had a boat or at least a kayak. There are sneks in this lek and they love these reeds and overhanging trees and shit. Plus there are some big rocks and boulders they like to hide around. I saw one coming to the top lazily for a gulp of air, we made eye contact, and he bolted. They scare easy and once they see or hear you they won't bite anything.

>>835240
I wouldn't. Normally topwater shit is like the one lure that most pros will say that braid is the best line for because it floats and visibility doesn't really matter in that situation.
>>
What are you all up to this weekend?

I am going shellfishing this weekend in the ole Puget Sound. Gonna rig up my crab ring with turkey giblets.

Tfw when I bought a lowland lakes license but I dont want to spend more for a Marine areas license. WDFW stop taking all of my money.

On an unrelated note - do trout and bass prefer the upper levels/warmer water at the end of the day? I am going to try fishing at dusk for the first time.
>>
>>835247
What do licenses run there for fishin? Is it just a basic freshwater all-inclusive and then an extra for salt?

FL is like $17.50 for freshwater, another $17.50 for saltwater from a boat, and then shoreline salt is free.

And idk about trout, but bass will normally feed best at dusk and dawn. When it's warm and sunny during the day, they stay kinda deep and then will come up by dropoffs and shit when the sun is going down. Around here the bumig guys have been real slow but I doubt your water temps are nearly as high as they are here.
>>
>>835247
trout fucking hate warm water ( anything g over 70F can be bad for them)

get out early morning after a cool night and try for them
during the day, try to find a deep pool right underneath a good riffle,
>>
>>835263
Check the WDFW site for prices but there are three licenses: lowland lakes, high lakes and marine areas.

Its costs extra for a 2 pole endorsement, crabbing extension, etc.

I don't know about other shellfish, but you can't get a crabbing license without a fishing license.

Washington had strict regs when it comes to fishing and hunting. The only thing worse than that are the asshole faggots that break the law because they don't like a rule.
>>
>>835277
>lowland lakes and high lakes
Crazy. What is the difference?

And that 2-pole endorsement is interesting too. I was trying to read up on FL rules and I thought I read somewhere that there is no rod limit per person. I always heard it was 2 rods in IL when I was growing up.
>>
File: 1468779275224.jpg (238KB, 2048x1027px) Image search: [Google]
1468779275224.jpg
238KB, 2048x1027px
Sup /out/.

First time posting here, but I'm scheduled to take a 10-day geology course on some pristine lakes in central Ontario (Canada) and want to capitalize on the opportunity and do some fishing.

Problem is, I've never once fished in my life. What kind of lake fish should I expect and what would be the most suitable rod and bait and other hardware?

Thanks for entertaining my dilettante questions.
>>
>>835247
>96+ degrees tomorrow
Fuck it I'm getting up at 5:00 and heading to a lake I've never been to
>>
>>835313
>Central Ontario
If it's anything like Northern WI, probably largemouth and smallmouth bass, pike, perch, bluegill, channel cats, maybe some muskie if you get real lucky. You can play with some lures if you want to, but nightcrawlers or minnows on a bobber are the best set for a beginner.

>>835316
Yeah man it has been really warm here the past couple weeks and I think the largemouth might just be done for the summer. If I go out tomorrow, I'm either going for sneks and mayans or gonna head somewhere with peacocks.
>>
>>835328

So you recommend float fishing? Throw a rod and wheel recommendation for your basic bitch beginner.
>>
>>832153
has the bullshit blown over?
>>
>>835328
hey pepsi got any stupid-good deals on used fishing gear i should know about? are you still fresh only?
>>
>>835328
>>835340
also what i hear for summer bass is use big ass slow moving lures. go find a 10+ inch texasrig worm online and buy it
>>
>>832709
>Speaking of which, is Mainebub ded
the skinwalkers got mainebub? great now who will i talk to for fly fishing advice. i hooked into my first carp on fly today and need to fangirl with someone about flyfishing
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>835338
>>835340
>furries
Idk, only thing I really check out are the Dick's Flash Sales and they didn't have shit for fishing stuff yesterday. They have had a few good sales on lures the past couple weeks but idk what has changed. They had Scatter Raps, Yamamoto hard baits, Strike King Banshees, and some other shit at $3ea if you buy 3+. Livetarget stuff was cheap too, like $4-$5 if you buy a couple.

>>835334
Yeah, just get the classic red and white bobbers or the foam ones with the spring. Get assorted Aberdeen hooks or baitholder hooks (basic shit) and some split shots.

If you go in the Pastebin in the OP, I have my copypasta for brand new anglers in there as well as a list of rod and reel combos. The copypasta will explain what sizes to look for with rods if you just want to do some lake fishin.
>>
>>835340
>stupid-good deals on used fishing gear

http://www.fishingcarepackage.com/#!store/lsw5u

5 new rods randomly chosen. Price range from $20-$250. Pretty neat deal. They have some bigger ones (up to 50 rod packages).
>>
File: 1467339129839.jpg (415KB, 1264x1651px) Image search: [Google]
1467339129839.jpg
415KB, 1264x1651px
>>835347

Ah very well, missed the pastebin.

Some slags for you sir.
>>
>>835347
> I have my copypasta for brand new anglers in there as well as a list of rod and reel combo
does it include an uglystik with a shakespeare excursion spooled with either 6 pound mono or 20 pound braid?
>>
>>835355
>slags
confirmed for eurocuck
>>
>>835338

Has what blown over? You outing yourself as an edgy fat furfag?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>835356
Uglystik combo, yes. And we all about Berkley Lightning Rods instead of Ugly Stiks. I was just using mine today and that thing is so much better for lures than an Ugly Stik. But I just said to go with mono in there to start because we can't spoil the newbies too early.

And the troll is still around a little but you just need to ignore him or embrace the trolling because they will give up if you don't fight it.

Also report & hide.
>>
>>835359
no, people derailing these threads over it
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>835374
Only because you argue back and shit. Just ignore it and report it as off-topic.

They are justified in talking shit to you because furfaggotry but you guys could at least go argue about it and totally fuck up a different thread like one of the 17 knife threads.
>>
>>835373
fair points on all counts
uglystik is still as close to indestructible as fishing rods get
ive broken guides, handls, and seats, but never a blank
>>
>>835377
also fair points
>>
>>835378
I've never broken a rod doing something that should be done with a fishing rod so idk. I'd rather have a rod with some action and try not to slam it in my car door. I'm not exactly super careful with my stuff either, just try not to do anything retarded.
>>
Catch some for me, fags. I probably won't make it out this weekend. I have too many other obligations to tend to.

I may get a couple hours to wet a.line on Sunday, but that's a big maybe.
>>
File: 20160812_151652.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_151652.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>835385
I abuse my gear though so... I'm more comparable to a shaved gorilla who's been trained to fish than a fisherman.

>>835386
This is all I got. Does it count if I didn't know it was there? (I couldn't feel it till I tried to cast with my 8wt)
>>
>>832710
Hey, I know where this is at. It can get pretty crowded but absolutely beautiful. I go all the time and always have a blast slaying the steelhead.
>>
>>834242
Nice dolly
>>
>>832440
Have that exact shimano set up with 80# line for shits and giggles (only thing I had in my house).
>>
>>834066
...I'm just here for the fishing
>>
>>835111
That's not even close to 4# stop kidding yourself

You of all people need to buy a scale
>>
What line do I get for bass and catfish
>>
>>834264
Actually for centuries the preferred method of killing fish by the Japanese was spiking (knife to the brain) so its gotta be a pretty good meme if it's not stale after several centuries.

Besides the longer they're alive the more lactic acid builds up and the more the meat quality suffers.
>>835431
How do I catch steelhead? In 5 years I've only ever hooked one on a little Cleo at a river mouth.
>>
>>835459
#12 mono or #20 braid with the appropriate mono leader
>>
>>835465
I could go about writing an entire guide for hours, there's truly so many different ways to fish for steelhead that work extremely well. For instance:
spinner fishing
Spoon fishing
Bobber and jig
Drift fishing,
And
Bobber and bead.
Just to name a few.

What I have had the most success on is bobber and jig fishing and spinner/spoon fishing for steelies. You'll see a lot of guys fishing bobber and jigs in areas where it's super easy to get hung up. When using this rig, not only will you not get hung up as much but it provides a much more natural presentation of your lure in this type of terrain as opposed to drift fishing. drift fishing can be extremely effective though in areas where you don't have to worry about getting hung up as much. Rivers and creeks with a muddier bottom are my preferred stomping grounds for drift fishing.

It's all different for everyone but here is the run down of the lures I like to use for steelies to give you an idea of what you should consider using

Winter run steelhead:
Bobber and jig:
1/2 oz clear-drift float with a 1/4 oz inline sinker, 10 lb p line hydrofloat main line, 8 lb fluorocarbon leader, and a 1/8 oz jig

Spoons:
Try to stay away from little cleos. They work but aren't made with genuine silver which gives off a much better flash. I believe that They are made of nickel which appears black in water. Good for summer runs but not winter runs where you want a large amount of flash to get them going. BC steel spoons and rvrfshr spoons are absolute steelhead fishing machines. Get the 2/5 oz genuine silver, 2/5 oz 24K gold, and 2/5 oz 50/50 colors. The key to winter runs are going a little bigger and brighter as opposed to summer runs

Summer run steelies:
Bobber and jig fishing:
1/4 oz clear drift float, 1/8 oz inline sinker, 10 lb p line hydrofloat, 6-8 lb fluorocarbon leader, 1/16 oz jig. During the early summer run season though when the water is running much higher you'll want to use the same setup as you
>>
>>835465
Would use for winter run steelies.

Good spoon and spinner colors for summer runs are dark colors that don't give off much of a flash if you are fishing in low clear water. Also size down. So black, tarnished silver, nickel, tarnished brass in size 0-2. Black is absolutely deadly on summers though. Use the same spoons and spinners as you would for Summer's when the water is running higher.
>>
>>835465
I also suggest picking up a copy of Bill herzog's spoon fishing for steelhead.
>>
So after a week and a half dry spell and temps of 90s, we have some rain. Problem is my planned fishing is now and it's still raining decently. Should I still head out to the river?

6am right now and its about 50% chance of rain until noon.
>>
>>835498
Were you the one reccommending the inline spinner kit with the true silver plates blade? It really makes that big of a difference?

And you should type up those guides. I will put them in the Pastebin. Especially if you have a good one for river fishing and trout/salmon. "How do I into fishing rivers?" is a popular question and I haven't fished a river for shit so all I know is cast upstream and try to find pockets of slow moving water.

>>835457
Retard or Troll?
>>
>>835673
That was not me but rvrfshr has some killer spinners that you can buy in genuine silver finishes. They give you the parts to make 10 spinners or you can custom order them. When it comes down to winter run steelies and steelhead in higher water, silver makes an extremely large impact. It really all depends on the conditions, the run, and where you are at.
>>
>>835687
http://www.pen-tac.com/blades.html

This was the one anon reccommended to me
>>
>>835688
I've never tried the blades from pen-tac but I'm extremely sure that they would work. They do real silver and gold finishes on both their spoons and spinners which truly does help a lot. I'm gonna have to try their spinners sometime when I get the chance but if you are looking into catching more steelhead I would definitely highly recommend buying some of their spoons. Rvrfshr and pen-tac are two great companies that make some of the best spoons out there.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>pepsicuck will never catch a saltwater fish despite living a few minutes away from the ocean

wew
>>
>>835786
Untrue.

I actually did catch these little 3" silver baitfish at the pier one time I went.
>>
>>835786
nice cobia
>>835498
ive not really been trying hard honestly- occasional trips to fairport harbor
but this year im throwing myself into it, ive gotten an 8 weight fly combo, and neoprene wading boots. i can cast pretty decently (i can usually land my fly somewhere within the size of a big pizza box out to a reasonable distance. im just not sure where to fish or how to do it and i dont have 200 bucks to invest in a guide
>>
if my reel says 4-8lbs, but my rod says 8-12lbs, what's a good braid weight test to throw on?

also, any brand suggestions?
>>
>>835796
those are either silversides or glass minnows. go buy a 2 hook bottom rig and some #1 snelled aberdeen gold hooks, some 1 ounce and 2 ounce puramid sinkers, and a few gotcha plugs. tie a #50 flouro leader about 3 feet long to something with #20 braid on it, then take amedium heavy rod with at least #20 braid on it (something that you can ob 2 oz with) and tie on the bottom rig. buuy some squid and cut the mantle into strips about 1/4 inch x 2 inches long, hook them on, cast out and tightline. you should get something. while you wait for a bite run the gotcha- someone on the peir will know how to use it. id say go to the end with those things but try to stay out of the way. also consider ust dropping your bottom rig right next to the peir
>>
>>835805
If it were mono, I would go with the reel weight. For braid, 10lb, 15lb, or 20lb depending what you are casting and trying to catch. 15lb is nice, it will handle heavier bass stuff fine and you can still get away with lighter 1/8oz lures and cast with some distance. 20lb if you are going to be using 1/4oz+ lures most of the time and 10lb if you want to throw lots of panfish lures.

And PowerPro for braid.
>>
>>835805
#10 #15 or #20
those line weights are just suggestions
>>
>>835814

casting texas rigs on 4/0 hooks and hollow body frogs, no fucking clue what the weight on the frog is, 5/8oz maybe?

just need to fucking punch through these weeds and stop getting my line chewed up by muskie looking for a snack
>>
>>833271
>$300+ range
Van Stahl
I would kill for one of these. Can cover with sand, dunk in saltwater and she purrs like day 1 out of the box.
>>
>>835823
#30 braid
>>
>>835345
sup Skid, good to see you back. You give a lot of good info and have a fuckton of knowledge and some amusing anecdotes.

Mainebub dropped in a thread or 2 ago for a few posts.

Cape Cod anon
>>
>>835848
Cape cod anon?
Oh well, I'm sure I'll know you well enough soon enough if I don't already and I might just be thick but whatever
>>835837
Opps forgot my trip
>>
read this on a forum this morn. prety funny

It's okay I'm talking about myself. I've maybe put 20 hours on the canal. I'm a 65 yr old rookie. Never caught a fish. Never had a hit. Until this morning. Canal side this morning and I see lots of fish breaking. I'd never seen that! Very exciting. 3 guys about 50 yds up left and right of me.
Suddenly bang. Zeeeee goes the drag and I'm fighting with a fish. Heart pounding and he's taking me all over. I get him up on the rock in maybe 3 minutes. Wow. Clearly not a keeper, measure him 21" grab him and slide him back in. Two more casts and bang same thing maybe a little stronger. I'm clearly a master angler now so I play him a bit and of course just before the rocks I lose him. I'm very excited but I try to remain calm. No one else is catching. So since I'm this master angler I shout "1 oz pencil popper green and white" Just trying to help out the guys who don't know what they're doing. That's what master anglers do. They had to be laughing inside.
Five more casts and I get nothing so the master angler figures time to change lures. I mean if they stop hitting after 5 master angler tosses it's gotta be the lure. As I take off the lure I notice 2 of the plastic coverings are still on the front treble hook. No wonder the second one shook me off.
Fished for another half and hour and as the guy East of me climbs out I do the same. He is clearly a veteran, 3 poles and the seasoned look. He says, "looks like you did good". I said too small not 28 inches. I show him the photo of my first fish. He says "that's a bluefish, a big one, no size limit on those"
Damn I paid 14.99 a pound for bluefish filet last week! Rookies.
>>
>>835852
yeah, we've talked a bunch. I just don't namefag.
kayak, stripers, etc
>>
>>835856
ah right then. i was thinking maybe you were hatcheryanon and changed your trip then stopped tripping but eh
>>
>>835860
I sometimes post with my trip (from co.puter) or name from phone but mostly have been posting as anonymous latley

Good to see you back though

>Was going to go to beach today
>Guy I was going to go down with didn't answer calls last night
> Didn't feel like going alone

Maybe il get ahold of him.tonight and get out there tomorrow

Cleaning fish pond currently
>>
>>835310
Lowland lakes are just typical inland lakes and river systems.

High lakes are isolated lakes in the cascades
>>
>>835927
oh so you are hatchery anon
hows the tenkara fly rod? find silk tenkara line anywhere?
>>
>>835943
FUCKING TRIP
>>
File: IMG953298.png (776KB, 647x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG953298.png
776KB, 647x1152px
>>835943
Nope im from ct not cape cod

Never bothered with tenkra line, but I turned it into a micro fishing rod with 3 lb test and size 26 or smaller hooks

Though I haven't been doing any freshwater fishing latley

Constant temps of high 80s to almost 100s as well as lack of rain have contributed to a drought everything nearby freshwater is warm as fuck and significantly shallower

Trout and bass have completely shut down, as have alot of panfish actually

Not much is biting anyways

Been out a few times fishing salt and want to do more but haven't gottwn anything spectacular latley
>>
>>835953
oh.
go on amazon and get some rio 8x tippit, its 1.7 pound test and .003 inches thick
the only thing ive managed to get to bite is little smallies (under 6 inches) this little bass up here >>835393
and carp
all the lakes are 3 feet low and hot.
i wish i lived in the obx, theyre killing cobia right now on trolley rigs
>>
File: Job Interview - memecasters.jpg (466KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Job Interview - memecasters.jpg
466KB, 1280x853px
>>
>>835953
I'm in Milford, CT for 2 weeks. Went out to the ocean couple days ago and saw one of these. What is it?
>>
>>835968
Umm, this job doesn't look right for me anyway
>>
>>835978
that's a sea robin
>>
>>835978
Sea robbin if you can find a sand bar and have a bucktail or even squid you'll catch them

They have sharp spines on the top of them but no teeth so you can lip them
>>
>>835953
>>835963
oh you can also get size 30 midge hooks

if anyone is interested in microfishing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TFYF8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IKDKOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/6Pcs-Float-Strike-Indicator-Fishing/dp/B01AXZ0ULA/ref=sr_1_12?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1471118490&sr=1-12&keywords=flyfishing+strike+indicators

https://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Removable-Split-Sinker/dp/B000T86X1S/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1471118956&sr=1-4&keywords=split+shot+bb

microfishing starter kit, basically
>>
>>835996
Have a bunch of size26 as well as some microfishing specific hooks but those are eyeless so I use the 26 hooks mote often
>>
>>835994
Do you ever go clamming in CT? I go pretty often on a rock bar, soft-shell steamers and oysters are a great find.
>>
File: IMG_6098.jpg (2MB, 2472x1462px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6098.jpg
2MB, 2472x1462px
Afternoon fishing after I gave up on snook. Left over pasta as bait (and one caught using a paper towel in spaghetti sauce for bait).
>>
>>836011
Where are you from?
I go out a few times a year in Rhodes island just 10-20 min over the boarder for cherry stones
>>
>>836026
Also saw some porpoises thrashing about and what not. Pretty cool.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>836026
So there are channel cats in FL... I'm suprised I haven't hooked one yet. Good to see somebody else post a Mayan. I had them hitting my inlines yesterday. Strong little fuckers.
>>
>>836039
So many channel cats where I'm at (Ft. Myers).
>>
>>836039
pepsi get some fly fishing gear and get mayans on fly
>>
>>836039
what a shitty fish why even take a picture i bet you ate it to
>>
Gonna attempt to find some peacocks since this heat has been wrecking the largemouth fishin. We'll see how it goes.

>>836077
Top post. How do I upvote?
>>
>>836084
Good luck
>>
File: stoppppp.jpg (265KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
stoppppp.jpg
265KB, 800x800px
>>836084
>not going to the inlet

>>836064
>skid is back
>>
>>836098
Indeed I am, nice to see you to
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>836090
Thx bby.

Were you here when I actually got those few peacocks?

>>836098
>the inlet
That would probably be the best choice with the heat. Cool breeze, sun would be in the west behind me. But I found another spot in the same area where I know there are peacocks. Unfortunately more manmade lakes with clear water and steep drop-offs that are such a pain in the ass to fish. Like 90% of the time nothing fucking bite but the 10% when they are biting is great. So far tonight isn't the 10%. We'll see what happens in the next hour.
>>
>>836118
>he does everything possible to avoid saltwater fishing

why?
>>
>>836118
did you get vitiligo or did a friend catch that?
>>
>>836118
Pepsi hit the salt
>>
>>836120
afraid of it
>>
>>836118
Jesus christ just go saltwater fishing already. So many anons here would kill for the opportunity
>>
Abu Vengeance 6'6'
Abu Cardinal SX 40
20 or 30 lb braid

This will be my 2nd tier spinning setup, how did I do?

>inb4 why you need all those rods and reels
>>
File: babbys1stmemecaster.png (1MB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
babbys1stmemecaster.png
1MB, 540x960px
>>836118

Played around with babby's first memecaster today.

It's not that big a deal to deal with, but casting with that thing definitely needs more attention than a spinning reel. Especially in the wind and if I try to cast lighter lures etc.Pretty happy with this setup. It's actually as light, if not lighter than my shorter 2pc setup w/okuma trio.

Didn't catch shit other than a small eel that bit when I wasn't paying attention and left a grub sitting in like 3 inches of water. Saw a lot of papio chasing my lures right up to the rocks, but nothing bit. Probably would have done OK if I used bait, but I hate hauling that crap around.
>>
>>836181
>Probably would have done OK if I used bait, but I hate hauling that crap around.
The story of most of my trips where I get skunked
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw it's impossible to go near Bass Pro and not buy anything in Chartruese Pepper
Never seen the finesse worms in chartruese. Those things work bretty gud in other colors. And not sure why I bought the chatterbait.

>>836167
Not bad at all. The 40 is kinda big but whatever. I have a Cardinal SX30 on a Fenwick Eagle M 6'6" with 20lb PowerPro. Good for everything.

>>836123
Did I get what? And yes, I caught that one a couple months ago. Lake I was at tonight looks promising but of course storms started moving in around sunset.

>>836181
You just gotta crank the brakes up when going into the wind. Also the casting motion is a little different with memecasters, you will have problems if you lob the lure like you can do with spinning setups.
>>
File: IMG_20160713_111418179.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160713_111418179.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>836211
Vitiligo is that Michael Jackson shit where your skin looses pigment ( anon is saying you were a nig but are less nig now )

Basically what this feesh has
See the spots lacking pigment?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Damn I like this color combo. I bought some Senkos in the same color but haven't used them. I think these fucking worms are more expensive than Yamamotos though. $5 for an 8pk.

>>836221
I turned albino. My eyes are red now.
>>
>>836233
Basically , tho hose elazteks should last alot longer than normal plastics
>>
>>836238
Yeah it's made with the Z-Man plastic. I mean it's fine anyway. Not like $5 is going to break the bank. An 8pk would last all day fishing if I were just using that one bait.

The 20pks of Finesse Worns for $4.50 are nice tho. They seem to last forever. Bass Pro sells those big fucking bags of their store brand Senkos too if you need a 100pk of watermelon sticks.
>>
>>836238
I bet they'll catch some fish to. That's a pretty color.
>>
>>836267
Fuck yeah, who doesn't need 100 watermelon flakes?

Also, is it just me, or are the sales sucking shit right now? The only decent one I've seen in weeks is $2 hard plastics.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>836281
At Bass Pro? They always have shit sales. In the spring they will have like 25% of Zoom and that is the best it gets at Bass Pro. That's why I like Dick's but I was close to Bass Pro today so wanted to check out the expansive soft plastic selection and grab a bag or two.

I always take those surveys on the reciept because I want to win a $500 gift card and I always put in the comment section that they need to have more sales. Most of the time I go to Bass Pro, I only end up buying the couple things I was looking for that are hard to find elsewhere. Meanwhile I will go to Dick's just to browse and they end up having sales on a bunch of stuff and I walk out with $75 worth of shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw my second "tackle bag" fer soft plastics is overflowing now too

I seriously have no more room for crankbaits and overflowed the soft baits from my tackle bag long ago. I'm debating now if I still want to do that small Gander Mtn bag or get a smaller backpack and get a couple 3600 boxes for that. I suppose the backpack will be nice if I grab a couple boxes and keep it light. Throw some worm hooks, weights, swivels, and basic shit in one box, then a few hard baits and spinners in the other, and maybe keep 4 or 5 bags of soft baits in the backpack.
>>
>>836293

i love the bullshit claims on powerbait lures, but i also like a lot of their lures.

>fish hold on 18x longer!!!

anyway so i finally found the glorious black trick worms of legend in my local walmart, they were hiding behind some bullshit all along. i could have gotten them at ass pro but they are always on the back burner. never fished the solid blacks, heard for the last 15 years that they get the job done.

is it simply because being black they absorb all light and only emit frequency vibrations without any visual distraction? or is it because in bright light they appear with sharp contrast?

i've caught fish on pretty much all spectrum of the rainbow and it seems that luck/moon phase/physical motion/vibration/hunger gets me more hits than the color of a lure.

if color or the look in general ever mattered so much, how could a black trick worm do any better than white, green, yellow, limetreuse, merthiolate, pumpkinseed, watermelonseed/grass/insert other fancy name here???

night fishing fag that won't trip yet here (above abu rod/reel fag), i'll be fishing in an hour or two. moon looks to be waxing and the locals told me they caught 5 decent bass this afternoon.

funny story, i went to buy 30 lb power pro and just grabbing it on the go, i got to the czechout. the cashier says "sir, did you realize this shit is empty???"

i'm like "nigga......you's my real nigga now, give this man a raise!!!"

but for real i was in such a hurry that i didn't even look inside to see if the spool was in there, someone had actually shoplifted it. i know braid isn't cheap but shit son.

so i go back and they have no 30 lb power pro. none. so i was thinking of getting the higher end power pro but that shit is like lime neon green wtf?

so i settled on some spiderwire stealth. i've only had the ez braid and it wasn't so great. this spiderwire at least felt a bit more like the regular power pro.

anyway don't be a fag and steal shit even though it's easy to do.
>>
>>836352
What a story.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160813-222417.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160813-222417.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
Been in southport NC for 2 days, caught this speck, a small reddish (first one), a skate, couple small sharks, many nice croaker. The fishing isn't great tho, tomorrow is our last day so hopefully it picks up.
>>
>>836352
I have seen at Walmar quite a bit where people put cheap cranks in Rapala boxes and then pay $2 for a $9 Rapala. Or they empty half a pack of soft plastics into a second bag so there are 20pks of worms with like 8 in them. I hate scumbags and I hate Walmart.

I have a spool of the lighter green PowerPro SuperSlick. Line color doesn't matter. I use fucking red line on one of my main rods. But the SpiderWire Stealth Braid is fine, just keep an eye on it and check that it isn't fraying.

And the black color, I think the contrast is what gets the fish. One lake I fish a lot, there is this underwater weed bed maybe 5' under the surface and if I run a real dark lizard or worm it will stick out of the top of this grass really really well. I think there are basically 3 shades that are useful and the exact color doesn't matter so much- something really dark black, blue, or purple, something bright like chartruese, and something natural like pumpkin or watermelon. One of each will cover basically eveything.

I wanted to get out late tonight and see if these bass are actually eating at any time of day but some mean storms rolled in off the ocean so I'm in for the night. I was specifically thinking of night fishin when I got that chatter bait and darker big trick worms.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>836352
And there might be something to the PowerBait. But who knows what "scented bait" they compared it too. When fish hit hard baits, they will often let go real quick and ignore it if you don't hook it. Meanwhile if you get a scented bait (especially something like Gulp) fish will grab the tails and tear the thing apart.
>>
Caught 1 (ONE) bass today

Gut hooked him pretty bad but I managed to disgorge the hook and he swam off after recovering for a few minutes

There was a tangle in my line so I was trying to get it out and wasn't paying attention and then next thing I know there's a fish fighting
>>
Symetre is on sale at my local Cabela's for $71.

Should I?
>>
>>836382
I was highly reccommended that reel by dude at Bass Pro. I probably will still get one for my next spinning combo. It's a Shimano, which means you might get a little more for your money with a different brand but the Shimano isn't going to fail you or have any dumb designs that cause problems.
>>
some clickbait shit i found when czeching for rain, looks clear for the night.

https://weather.com/science/nature/news/alligator-gar-asian-carp-gulf-of-mexico-intruder

look at those carp jumping out of the water.
>>
File: bennett.jpg (125KB, 400x511px) Image search: [Google]
bennett.jpg
125KB, 400x511px
Fly fishermen are an odd bunch

We can be packed into a space like pic related contently but if one guy turns up with spinning gear we won't shut up about "the God damn center pinners crowding us out"
>>
>>836405
I always thought it would be fun to get on the Illinois River with a shotgun and go skeet shooting for Asian carp.

They are worried about those things expanding like the plague. The Illinois is connected to the Mississippi so they can get all over from there. And I believe they could make it up the Chicago River and if they get through the locks they will be in Lake Michigan and have a chance to take over the Great Lakes.
>>
>>836417
They're already almost in the great lakes
>>
>>836427
Yeah they just gotta make it through dem locks. Hopefully the Chicago River will kill them before they have a chance.
>>
>>836417

i'm down for the fishkill. idk shit about those carp, are they any good to catch or eat?

speaking of carp, i used to see them a lot more 10-20 years ago, most big ponds i went to you would see 4-6 inch fins rising slowly above the water here and there. was a spectacle really. haven't seen one in over a decade.
>>
>>836434
Yeah you can eat them
Here's how
You get a board of oak
Then you scale the carp
You nail it to the board by it's head and tail
You chop onions, potatoes, and bell peppers and surround the fish
Salt and pepper then put it in the oven at 375 degrees for 2 hours
Once it's done you peel the fish of and scrape away the vegiees and eat the board- it will taste much better than the fish.
>>
>>836442
Jesus keks

>>836434
There are some lakes here with tons of them and some with barely any. One of my best bass lakes has a ton of big carp. They aren't the Yuro common carp like the gold ones most places further north. They are silver and have eyes like Jesse Jackson, can't remember if they are Asian or grass carp. I believe they were actually introduced to some of the waterways to control algae. One lake I was at has signs around saying you aren't supposed to target the carp and release them if you catch them because vegetation control.
>>
>>836442
I actually heard there are ways to prepare carp where it isn't bad.m

Somebody bump this with pics to 310 so I can make a new one
>>
>>836442

always heard carp wasn't good for eating but then again i've seen locals eat them a while back, specifically smoked carp.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
>>836451
When I was a kid, I caught some big carp at a pond by my house and some Mexican dude having a bbq with the family came over and gave me $5 for it. Grilled it up right there.

If anything you can feed it to your girlfriend's cat.

>captcha:eggs
Woah, what is this contraption? There was a pic of a hardboiled egg but then it was covered in some batter or bread crumbs and fried. Wtf?
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 640x640px
>>
File: image.jpg (237KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237KB, 1080x1080px
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 620x622px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 620x622px
New
>>836476
>>
>>836455
Think it is called a scotch egg.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.