[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mutitool

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 23

File: new wave.jpg (36KB, 434x440px) Image search: [Google]
new wave.jpg
36KB, 434x440px
Doing some testing, evaluation and design of multitools for a university engineering project. I made a survey to get some feedback on the subject. I would appreciate any responses. Otherwise feel free to post your opinions on how you think they could be improved or any issues you have with them.

surveymonkey code /r/Z5MPMDV
>>
>>828673
i will spare you years of study and research: surge is the best overall
>>
>>828689
Nope, the Charge TTI is king.
>>
>>828921
Too small too expensive for what it can do
>>
>>828689
this guy knows - i had one for 5 years and no problems
>>
>amerifats

get a swisstool
>>
>>829284
Eurotrash eat cheese.
>>
where can I find Rebar parts? Snapped off the end of my blade...
>>
>>829433
they come with 25 year warranty, leatherman replaces it for free
>>
>>828673

>LM Surge, you can dismantle a battleship with this mofo.

it's big mean, and gets shit done but really is overkill for most stuff I've used mine for. the *only* time it was ever 'fuck me' useful was when I guy who was fishing with me slipped on the wet rocks and put a conger hook through is finger. The Surge just ate the the damn barbed point and we were able to get it out and patch him up with minimal fuss

>Worthy Mention - Victroinox Swisschamp.

of all the stuff I use realistically this is the one I come back to time after time. unless you NEED the beefy pliers I'd give this some serious thought.as an added bonus, Victorinox trumps LM's 25 year warranty with a lifetime warranty
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 960x960px
I just got pic related and holy fuck is it sweet. Perfect for an everyday carry.

pros
>about the size of a large pocket knife, lightweight
>fits in pocket nicely so you don't have to be that faggot with the belt holster
>has all of the tools you actually use regularly and none of the other fluff
>looks cool as fuck or at least as cool as a multi tool can look
>$40

cons
>

Seriously can't think of a bad thing about it.
>>
>>828921
this
that s30v gets me hard everytime.
>>
>>829284
>>829284
victorianox is classy but lacks pliers.
>PASS
>>
File: RIMG0174.jpg (3MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0174.jpg
3MB, 3456x2592px
Due to local law the largest Leatherman I can legally carry is the Juice. Does anyone have any experience with it?
>>
File: 1468895263999.jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1468895263999.jpg
87KB, 500x375px
>>829453
this. I broke the piers on my wave saving a cow that was stuck in a fence and they sent me a completely new one no questions asked
>>
>>829939
If you actually live in nipland absolutely do not carry a knife, The cops there are unyielding and will try to bust your balls for any reason.
>>
>>830120
I live in the sticks and the cops here are much more chill about things. When they saw my squirt, they all asked where to get one and how much it cost.
>>
>>830132
I still wouldn't. Not worth being questioned for 3-4 hours at the station while your employer is notified. At most I carried a prybar on my keys.
>>
>>829932
Are you baiting? The swisstool has pliers and is objectively better than most other multi tools because it has from locking on every single tool. Plus the tools are on the outside instead of the inside like leather man.
>>
>>828940
>>>829038
>>
>>828940
It's only a little smaller than the Surge and has all the same tools except made with more premium materials (titanium handles, S30V blade). It's definitely the enthusiast-tier multitool.
>>
>>830353
charge is same size as a wave it's a medium sized tool
>>
>>830306
>Plus the tools are on the outside instead of the inside like leather man.
you are a moron only the supertool and rebar has them inside.
>>
>>830357
You are an in bread retard. Nearly every leather man multitool has majority of the tools on the inside, only the quick access knife or scissors are placed outside.

Have fun fucking your daughter you retard.
>>
>>830359
>only the quick access knife
>only the one truly important tool is placed outside
okay then
>>
>>830362

European knife laws. Folding knives that can be deployed quickly or with one hand are forbidden. Only nail nicks are allowed.
>>
>>830306
I don't know what 'from locking' is, but most of the newer Leatherman have locking on all tools. The Surge and Wave do anyway, and probably some others I forget I have.

What is the advantage of tools on the outside? I have a Swisstool XC and like it fine, but can't say I notice any difference in not having to unfold before opening the screwdriver or the like.
>>
File: sss.jpg (95KB, 1500x1466px) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
95KB, 1500x1466px
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PIF9PI?psc=1

Does anybody recommend anything with a better assisted cutter than this?!?!
>>
>>828673
Your survey is very poorly designed. You won't get much valid information from it
>>
>>830608
They differ per country. I live in The Netherlands where you may own knives that can be opened quickly with one hand and lock, only automatics are forbidden.

European knife laws are kind of funny that way. In the UK you may have a one handed opening knife, but no locking mechanism. In Germany the exact opposite.
>>
>>830891
OP was still in the name field by mistake.
>>
>>830659

I actually dont recommend, the covers come off and you WILL lose them, tools are above average, but I didnt like using the pliers without the covers
>>
I have owned many multitools.

I have found the best to be the sidekick/wingman.
Best mix of quality, price, functionality and weight. Also quality spring mech for the pliers. Perfect for work/edc.

The wave is too big for work/edc. The mini screwdrivers snap fast, the blades have play and the pocket clip is weak. Also tried the TTI. Biggest waste of money ever. Crap grind on the loose blade and some very dubious S30v. The QC is just not good enough. Can't fault the warrantee though, replaced 3 x times but has same issues everytime. No excuse for a crap liner lock in this day and age.
>>
>>830900
what do you think abut the surge? besides the size
>>
>>829939
Yes I carry a Juice S2. I wanted a smaller size and lower weight than the full size MTs, but still required decent pliers and other tools.

Downsides are -

have to open the bottle opener to get at the scissors (dumb)

blade shape is a bit weird, don't like the belly

would prefer an interchangeable drill but fixed drill bits are to be expected at this price point

Would recommend and beats the pants off the equivalent SAK
>>
>>830608
>european laws

that'll be like USA tax laws, the same everywhere right? ....... cunt
>>
I'm looking for a multitool, but all I can find is pliers with a dozen knives and half a scissor.

Literally all I want is
>the plier+wire cutter combo
>ONE (1) small knife - no more, no less
>maybe one scissor
>the rest is just tools for fastening/loosening like screwdrivers/hexes

Why is this so hard to find? What type of person needs more than two different knives? And what are the little "saws" included in these things actually used for?
>>
>>830933
Sorry,

Avoided that one because of the size so never used it!
>>
LM Micra
>>
>>830965
Leatherman Juice.
>>
>>830608
>European knife laws. Folding knives that can be deployed quickly or with one hand are forbidden.
what a fucking retard
there is no such law anywhere some countries restrict locking mechanisms and assisted opening with springs or stuff like that. but easily opening pocket knives are not banned. in the uk locking blades are tho fuck the uk they soon leave eu anyways the cunts.
>>
>>829889
Doesn't the screwdriver part cut the palm of your hand? This pushes me towards the Wave, but if that's not the case...
>>
>>831136
never noticed a problem
but when you want to use it as a screwdriver the S shape doesn't help much.
>>
>>831138
Cool. Wave is like praised on the internet, but the skeletool just has that nice feeling to it. Will look into it, thanks for the info.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>831142
I have that thing too, and the shape of it isn't the greatest for the screwdriver, but being a screwdriver and not a hex wrench or something, you really shouldn't be putting a ton of force into it anyway.

I mainly just wanted something with good pliers and a knoife all in one for fishing though, and that's why I got the Skeletool over anything else. The belt clip is nice so I don't have to go digging through my pockets when I want to unhook a fish really quick. And it's nice how the knife opens with one hand and locks, plus you don't have to unfold the thing to get to the knife. Only complaint is the pliers are still kinda tight. That's better than having flimsy ones though, and they have loosened a little with use. Works well for what I need.
>>
>>831162
I guess pliers and a knife will be the most important tools. I'll check out some videos and get either the skeletool or the wave. Thanks for the info
>>
>>830900
I've had a sidekick for like a year or 2. It has held up very well for camping and DIY type stuff and was only like $45 in Canada from wally world.
>>
>>831162
if you want torq just half close the tool so it forms an L and you can put hex bits in there.
>>
>>831186
>I guess pliers and a knife will be the most important tools
that is the reason i picked it for edc
it is also very ergonomic for the front right pants pocket carry. i imagine lefties hate it.
>>
>>829284
Bought a vicnox spirit for a buddy and was peasantly surprised. Very nice tool and got it on sale

Its more compact than a leatherman, all tools are accessable from the outside, better sheath, the pliers are more ergonomic than leathermans due to the curvature of the arms, and its sexier (not a selling point but worth mentioning)

I have the surge and still like it better just because i think it has a better combo of tools but the spirit is definetly up there
>>
File: Mp_400_sport[1].jpg (62KB, 869x1167px) Image search: [Google]
Mp_400_sport[1].jpg
62KB, 869x1167px
I love gerbers sliding multitool design, found one of these on the side of the road. you can flick it open with one hand very easily
>>
>>829889
the skeletool's knife can't handle hard use but I guess that's true of every multitool
>>
>>830891
Not true.

In Germany if it's one handed opening AND locks you can't carry it casually. This is what the Boker+ 42 line in, the 42 refers to clause 42 in German knife legislation which is what these knives satisfy.

In the UK you can actually carry pretty much anything aside from autos, and disguised knives (belt bucked and metal free ones etc) IF you can come up with a good reason. Being /out/ (fishing, hiking camping) is regarded as a good reason, taking a Mora Classic to do the weekly shop isn't however. to carry a knife casually in the UK ( as in anywhere- eg that weekly shop) it has to have a blade of less than 73mm AND have no locking mechanism.
>>
>>830353
Smaller scissors, no awl, no blade changer, smaller pliers. Wave and charge have more in common.
>>
>>828689
This
>>
>>832983
>In Germany if it's one handed opening AND locks you can't carry it casually.
fuck these shitholes uk and germany too.
if you want god tier knife laws look at poland. you can carry a fucking rambo knife openly if you want.
>>
>>830615
>What is the advantage of tools on the outside?
speed, ease of use and practicallity
>>
I bought a Leatherman WAVE back in 2000. Still using it, I have to say it's fantastic: No problems or damages, very reliable and absolutely worth the money.
>>
>>830965
Surge has everything you want

The 2 knives are totally different, one serrated and one straight. I use the serrated for things that straight blades arent good at, and vice versa
>>
I have the wingman, I'm surprised I don't ussually see anyone really talking about them in these threads, Ive had it for almost 3 years and so far it's taken a beating without a single problem. For $30-40 it's definitely an awesome choice in its price range.
>>
File: 1436118064365.jpg (891KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1436118064365.jpg
891KB, 1920x1080px
>>835214

What thing have you or anyone else used the scissors for? All I can think of is cutting flowers and fishing line.

Are they very precise and/or sturdy?
>>
>>835549
you can cut fishing line with anything or just bit it if it's a monoline.
i think for fine cutting tasks that must involve no force like cutting sutures from your ballsack and stuff like that it would come actually handy.
most /out/ related cutting can be done with any blade.
>>
I think this is the perfect thread to make this question ,so here it goes: Does the Leatherman Surge despite of it's size do a good job trimming fingernails? Because that would be the deciding factor between the surge and the charge. Thank you.
>>
>>830963
thanks
>>
>>836005
Trims mine fine. Though slightly overkill. Does well on the toes too.
>>
>>834941
this.

i have an original one and a newer one in black oxide

the original ones came with better scissors
>>
>>830965

I wish for the day when leatherman creates a modular knife ordering system so that you can say "give me the X but with a serrated blade instead of a saw and no scissors"
>>
File: Screenshot_20160819-124535.jpg (265KB, 1720x984px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160819-124535.jpg
265KB, 1720x984px
+1 for victorinox.

The most solid build quality out of all brands.
>>
>>838075
thank you
>>
>>835549
paper
cuticles
finger and toe nails

I find the scissors super useful
>>
>>840602

That's what I'm currently tussling with. Vic undoubtedly has better build quality and engineering but the tools are the same size as what you can get on their regular 91mm swiss army knives. With the leatherman you can also have quick one handed access to the blades. It would be nice not to have to put shit down so I can stop and pull out a blade, ya know? But then again there are also some minor annoyances with the leatherman, like how the smaller tools at the base of the arms always pull out as a clump and are more difficult to get out.

Tough choice. I'm probably just splitting hairs though, I'm sure either would be fine.
>>
anybody have any cool tactical nail clippers?
>>
>>842734
No, but I had a pair of gerber baby nail clippers for 20 years that worked a treat and my cunt girlfriend put them in her wallet and lost the wallet. Bought and tried 5 clippers since them, none of them came close.
>>
>>842737
i have a pair of the Kiya black clippers.
not sure what the finish is, but they look kinda tacticool.
i removed the plastic nail catcher
>>
File: ccd-10504.jpg?1470931537.jpg (93KB, 700x451px) Image search: [Google]
ccd-10504.jpg?1470931537.jpg
93KB, 700x451px
>>842734
Russell's for Men has these gunblued clipper set made in glorious Nippon, though it's a bit pricy.

http://russellsformen.com/product/5430/whence:%252Fcategory%252F20579
>>
File: 16832.png (64KB, 380x320px) Image search: [Google]
16832.png
64KB, 380x320px
>>842734
If you want a multitool, there's the Wenger Swissclipper.

I got my sister a purple one and it works fairly well.
>>
>>842833
nice. they look almost identical to these >>842746
except for the company emblem
>>
>>828673

I'm sort of a minimalist, and I would like a multitool that focuses on a few actual every day use aspects and nothing else.

A 3-4" blade pocket knife with a bottle/can opener, a flathead, and a phillips. That's it.

Fit the entire thing into a normal folding knife sized frame. Focus on heavy use, quality materials, screwdrivers that are an actual common size, fit into an average sized package.

My issue with multi-tools is they are unnecessarily large. The majority of what they include can be done with a simple sturdy pocket knife blade. The only thing a pocket knife doesn't do well is tighten screws. When I do carry a multi-tool I carry it as backup to my regular knife, and 90% of my use for the multi-tool is pliers, can opener, and screwdrivers. All the different blades, scissors, files, blah blah blah never see use.

The victorinox, "swiss army" knives, etc suffer from the same drawbacks as multitools: too much useless shit (toothpick? really?), and the smaller ones are just too flimsy for real tasks.

That's my take on it. I don't think you're going to bring much to the table by reproducing what already exists. Make a multitool that isn't trying to cover everything, but what it does cover is those few things people use it for the most.
>>
>>831654
I love my MP600 got a great deal on it
>>
>>843389
I've been looking for similar but a few more tools.
serrated blade
nonserrated blade
pliers
screwdriver with variety of bits

I don't want some useless saw; scissors wouldn't be a bad asset and same with tweezers cause I get slivers all the time but even then really not necessary.
>>
File: 9060_xlarge_218.jpg (58KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
9060_xlarge_218.jpg
58KB, 800x800px
>>843389
Personally I only really use pliers and the knife, use pliers in place of a bottle opener anyways.

This the "multitool" I use, someone gave it to me as a gift a while ago. It's basically just that, knife, pliers, and screwdriver. Don't really know if it's any good in the scheme of things, but it's served me quite well.
>>
>>835214
I just wish the action on mine was as good as my squirt. I've worked some of it out but the only reason I got it was because I thought out would feel great like my squirt. I was a bit disappointed desu.
Is yours the same way with a stiff action and tools sticking to each other?
>>
>>830012
Did you tell them the story? Actually, can you tell me the story?
>>829889
Holes is an old aircraft trick iirc. It then was picked up my racers.

>>829939
I love how that's not even their most phallic model. I don't care though, they still look neat and I've always wanted to take a trip in one.
>>830134
>employer is notified
Why do I have a feeling that this might be true? I'd hate to be a salary man in grorious japan. No wonder Aokigahara is so popular.
>>
>>830965
I've used the saw for cutting through heavy packaging cardboard. Never thought I'd need it or scissors until I actually used them. I use my scissors more than my knife.
>>830964
To play doubles advocate,that's not an accurate comparison.
It costs a lot of money to design and manufacture a product. If it can meet the requirements of many markets it's in a better position to be profitable. Economies of scale.

>>830359
>in bread
*inbred
>>
>>834957
What do you use your different types of knife blades for?

>>840593
I'd think it would be a great feature. I'm not an engineer but I'm sure it would be expensive and difficult to implement in regards to the logistics and manufacturing.
If they ever figure it out though I'll be ordering one.
>>841137
>like how the smaller tools at the base of the arms always pull out as a clump and are more difficult to get out.
REEEEEEEEE
I fucking hate this. Do all models do it or just the cheap ones? Because I'd buy Vnox if the tools didn't clump.
>>843389
I used to think the tooth pick was a gimmick until I needed it.
Also a good pair of scissors is handy af. Even small ones.
>>
>>843641
the serrated blade does a better job of cutting most rope, and it takes forever to dull

straight edge i use for cutting fishing line and food processing (though serrated is better for some food, tomatoes ect)

for misc tasks if i think itll dull my blade more than usual, ill use serrated, otherwise straight it is

i definitely use the straight edge more i just like having both options
>>
>>843641
>I'd buy Vnox if the tools didn't clump

... They don't. They only clump on leatherman. Vnoxes have much better engineering than that and are designed to be picked out individually.

>the cheaper ones
There's no difference in quality or design in any of the victorious tools regardless of size or price. The leatherman ones clumping is not a cost issue, it's just the way they're designed; each tool is free floating, whereas in vnoxes the tools are sprung, except the locking blades in the larger 111mm versions.
>>
>>843679
Thanks for the info. I don't know why my squirt tools feel so good but that's why I got a bigger LM and I was bummed out.
Looks like my next tool week be a vnox
>>
>>843657
Serrated blades take forever to dull and that's the only advantage. Then again sharpening takes forever as well.

>serrated is better for some food, tomatoes ect
If a plain edge can't cut a tomato, it's dull. Cutting a tomato with a serrated blade is as smart as using a saw for the task. There is no food item that you would want to cut with a serrated blade. Steak utensils have serrated blades because you cut against a ceramic plate, not because they cut meat better.

Ok, you need a serrated blade for cutting some breads . The crust is often so hard that not even the sharpest plain edge can penetrate it.
>>
>>843714
i found that serrated edge is awesome at cutting plastics that would be too dangerous to cut with a straight edge. you can work angles and put strength into it much better with serrations.

also bread bead with a thick hard crust is hard to cut with a non serrated knife you will crush the thing if you press hard.

tomatoes are fucking easy in fact i think with serrations you get uglier result tomato all over the place. if it's hard to start because your knife is dull poke it with the tip and cut there.
>>
>>843714
>there is no food item that you would want to cut with a serrated blade
But you'r wrong fuckboi. You may not want to, but I do.

If you dont like it thats fine but i prefer a serrated edge with some stuff. Not a huge deal
>>
>>843714
can you fagets stop cunting-up about serrations.
for fucks sake you don't own any knives and you've never cut anything in your entire like
>>
File: 20160823_210712.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_210712.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>828673
Can anyone ID this thing?
Its made of carbon steel, had it for years but I cant remember where I got it
>>
File: 1471492015262.jpg (5KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
1471492015262.jpg
5KB, 200x201px
>>843714
>There is no food item that you would want to cut with a serrated blade. Steak utensils have serrated blades because you cut against a ceramic plate, not because they cut meat better.

Go ask /ck/ and get back to us

>Ok, you need a serrated blade for cutting some breads .Ok, you need a serrated blade for cutting some breads .

And then you contradict yourself, top kek m8

And no, whatever material is under the steak you're cutting has no bearing on the type of blade required. You're a fucking retard. I hope this is bate.
>>
>>844078
*bait
Fuck I'm tired.
>>
>>844078
Well he's kind of right about steak knives, while a fairly sharp knife would work fine for cutting steak, hitting it on the bottom would quickly blunt a good edge, where as serrations don't have that same problem. Not to mention it's harder to hurt yourself seriously with a steak knife.
>>
>>843824
see >>844048
>>
>>844089
>it's harder to hurt yourself seriously with a steak knife.
lolwut
https://www.google.com/search?q=murder+steak+knife&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>>828673
Make the fucking blades symmetric so the end user can put any one hand open blade in any outside slot. Imagine capturing 10% of all multitool markets because nobody bothers to make s fucking Damn thing for lefties.

I tried to pay a gunsmith to modify one of my waves like this (should be possible) but it just lost me$80 and the tool for like
1.5 years. How great would it be if I could do it myself as easy as I can change my edc spiderco clip to be left inside tip down? I'd buy ten just out of fear you'd stop making them.
>>
>>843636

*Devil's advocate, retard
>>
File: vic soldier.jpg (183KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
vic soldier.jpg
183KB, 1600x1064px
>>843714
>>843779
>>843793

Ok serrationfags: Would you buy this?

I've been debating with myself endlessly about this. I want a one-handed victorinox model, but most of them have serrations. Not sure if that would be ok or not for general /out/ activities.
>>
>>844233
I wouldnt unless you have a second knife that is straight edge

Serrations are a good option but straight is better for a wider variety of stuff. You would find it harder to sharpen a stick to as fine point than a straight edge for ex, but it may do everything you need just fine, depends on you
>>
>>844233
no, there are better SAKs
>>
>>844269
You're retarded if you can't sharpen a stick with a serrated blade senpai
>>
>>844350
Im not saying its impossible, im saying you can get a finer point easier with a straight edge to try and show the guy serrated isnt ideal for alot of tasks
>>
>>844350
this
>>
>>828689
this
>>
>>844380
it's just a little too big
>>
>>844230
That's joke, lurk moar
>>
>>828673
I quit using multitools years ago for several reasons. One, they get lost or stolen constantly, if I ever leave it unattended it's gone. They are expensive. Also all the tools are too fragile for real work. Always breaking the pliers and anything I use to pry. Also wind up relying on them and the multitool not having the right size or tool for the job.

Mostly relied on the multitool for work and minor automotive or household uses, and they fail at that. For $60 I can buy a set of tools that work imfinately better and take up marginally less space.
>>
>>844269

If you bothered to click on the picture you'd see only 2/3rds of the blade is serrated.
>>
File: fBUKx.png (41KB, 755x627px) Image search: [Google]
fBUKx.png
41KB, 755x627px
>>844762
>>
>>844939
I didn't even post it m8. And it's a line from a copy pasta.
>>
>>844936
I saw

For all intents and purposes 2/3 might as well have full serrations. Any combo blade tends to incorporate the worst of the 2 variations rather than the best of each
>>
>>845190
are you the same guy who was complaining about sporks?
>>
>>845308
Nope

I agree sporks are retarded tho
>>
>>845692
i'm fine with my plastic lmf sporks, they weight next to nothing, had no problems eating with them the occasional hot meal.
>>
>>845824
Yea my issue is that you could just suffice with a spoon in 99% of situations, and the little nubs that make it a spork dont cover the other 1%
>>
>>845863
well that's true i usually just sharpen a stick and eat with that instead of a fork so mostly use the spoon part too.
>>
>>830306
pretty much any leatherman tool has outside access to your most frequently used tools
almost all have locking tools
swisstool pliers don't have replaceable wirecutters
>>
>>836005
yeah. i moved from a wave to a surge and the scissors i have now are MUCH more functional and beefy
>>
>>844230
it's a meme you dip. idiots like you are a diamond dozen
>>
>>846114
Yeah, even if it weren't a meme for all intensive purposes it's close enough to the real thing not to matter. But some people just have a huge ship on their shoulder about this sort of thing.
>>
>>846152
Not everyone has the time to get all the inside """jokes""" this shit whole comes up with. One day you won't get off scotch free with your trollin. I look forward to the day that the police arrest you for bullying. You'll be crying on your bed in the feeble position. Those laws can't come soon enough. It's easy to act tough on the internet but even you're in jail it's a doggy dog world. Enjoy your prolapsed rectums, fgts.
>>
>>846298
>even
*when
>>
>>835549
I use the scissors for cutting things where I want more precision or a cleaner cut than I'd get with a knife. For example, I used them to remove the shipping straps on some windows at work, because a knife might have scratched the frames.
>>
>>844134
>Make the fucking blades symmetric so the end user can put any one hand open blade in any outside slot. Imagine capturing 10% of all multitool markets because nobody bothers to make s fucking Damn thing for lefties.
>I tried to pay a gunsmith to modify one of my waves like this (should be possible) but it just lost me$80 and the tool for like
>1.5 years. How great would it be if I could do it myself as easy as I can change my edc spiderco clip to be left inside tip down? I'd buy ten just out of fear you'd stop making them.
?????
It literally takes an hour tops with sandpaper and a honing stone to do this modification. Learn 2 /diy/, fag
>>
File: triggered.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>829342
>
>>
>>845863
What about those lmf sporks that have a spoon on one end and a fork on the other?
>>
>>846544
i'm dual wielding them.
if you have 2 you can use them as knife and fork, but you only need one for a soup.
>>
>>846114

When you think you're being ironic, you're actually just making yourself look stupdi
>>
File: sh33h4.jpg (251KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sh33h4.jpg
251KB, 1600x1200px
>>828921

100%

There are no competitors
>>
File: vacuumrelax.gif (712KB, 490x276px) Image search: [Google]
vacuumrelax.gif
712KB, 490x276px
>>844233
so why do you worry about 30 EUR that much? If you don't like it, give it to a buddy of yours as a present.
The blade is a jack of all trades. But that is what makes it perfect for every day use.
Serrations in the front is hands down the best way to go with a combo blade.
I don't see why people complain about sharpening serrations. It's simple.
>>
File: Skeletool mod.jpg (547KB, 2430x1368px) Image search: [Google]
Skeletool mod.jpg
547KB, 2430x1368px
>>828673
If you made a Skeletool style tool with a cutting hook instead of a clip I'd love you
>>
>>829496
I picked up one of the early generation surges from a pawn shop for like $20, it's the one that has the saw/file insert, large screwdriver insert and small screwdriver insert. Thing is ridiculously huge and yet, I've fixed like everything with it
>Bicycle stuff
>Some car stuff
>like 90% of household stuff
>go to computer tool
>go to fishing tool
>ruler
>assembled AR lowers with it
>"fixed" a printer at work with it
>the knife is "accidental digit removal" sharp and they actually put it in a place that you can one hand deploy it

God damn, did I ever get my money's worth. I bought a bit kit for it and a nice leather pouch, it's fucking good to go. I've also adopted 2 other cheap leathermans from pawn shops, ones in my bike bag, the others in my gun bag.

I also have a swisstool, used it a bit, like it a lot, not as much as my gigantic surge, but still a whole lot.

Moral of the story: Go adopt a leatherman from a pawnshop or garage sale and it will basically become a third hand.
>>
File: why the fuck you lying.png (1KB, 148x31px) Image search: [Google]
why the fuck you lying.png
1KB, 148x31px
>>828689
>>
>>828673
Gerber sliders (currently favor a Multi-Plier 400)
or an SAK Huntsman and small Vice Grips
>>
>>850107
i use tungsten tipped chisels for stone carving
>>
>>845863
you ARE the guy from the other thread!
>>
>>829496

Reminds me of a nascar race I went to.

A couple of idiots were tailgating and trying to snip a wire with a fillet knife and brute force tug-o-war. I screamed at them to stop and flipped out my Gerber and snipped it for them. I like to think I saved a guy from stabbing himself in the face.
>>
>>850417

You just prevented the gene pool from cleaning itself
>>
>>850103
I have a question: how did you "fix" that printer?
Never thought of a pawn shop for those, good idea.
Oh, which is smoother when pulling out tools, the vnox or the Lman?

>>850417
God damn people are retarded
>>
Anyone have a favorite keychain multitool? Been thinking of getting the victorionix cadet
>>
>>852838
Love my squirt ps4. Shit is GOAT and the scissors are handy af.
>>
After reading through the thread and perusing Amazon for leathermans, gerbers, and victorinox tools, The only one I'd consider buying is the Leatherman Wingman or Sidekick. Inexpensive and looks like they have stuff i could need and nothing I don't.

I looked into the more expensive $85-$200 multitools, and it just seems like the extra tools and features would never be used by myself or even most people. Multiple blades, multiple serrated blades, wood saws (lol), package openers, and other horse shit that seems to just take up space. Every tool seemed to have a metal/wood file. Who uses this for anything other than their fingernails?

Who the hell is using that 2.5 inch wood saw for anything but a twig? A chisel, on a multitool?

I assume its mostly marketing shit of saying their $200 multi tool has 97 "different" tools on it that kinda almost work. But there seemed to be a general trend in the reviews that there is a desire from manufacturers to make a modular multi tool where you took out the hinge screw, put in whatever tools you wanted (purchased separately) and never had to buy the bullshit you never need. Are there any companies making something like this?
>>
Got a Wingman today.

What the fuck is the thing next to the can opener and the file?
>>
>>855351
Package opener. Not just for cardboard boxes, but those stubborn plastic display packs. Just enough of a sharp edge, but not enough to slice your hand open when you slip or tear up the product inside.
>>
>>829889

Literally came here to post this. Skeletool is the way to go. The carabiner and bottle opener is a *nice* touch too.

>got mine for $27 on sale
>>
>>844233
I have that knife but a different model. Only the blade. I like it a lot. Mine came very sharp out of the box.
>>
>>828673
My dream multitool

Pliers w/ replaceable wire cutters
Bit driver w/ included bits
Saw that has replaceable blades that are both hacksaw and wood blades.
Scalpel blade that are replaceable like the havalon knives
Awl
Lanyard loop
Ruler on the handles
All metal construction
Then either a can opener or a medium sized flathead screwdriver just for prying stuff.

All of this in a medium to large sized multitool. Somewhere between a Leatherman charge and st300.
>>
>>855351
rtfm
>>855359
This

>>854929
You are very short sighted and naive as to what these things are used for. I'm too lazy to go through your post but eventually you'll see the value of an lolsaw or files.
>>
File: IMG_0151.jpg (795KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0151.jpg
795KB, 1383x1037px
>>856586
No no, please tell me how a 3" wood saw is actually useful, and why filing your nails in the wilderness is important.
>>
Hello gentlemen, I don't know much about multi tools but I want to get one as a wedding gift for a friend. Can you recommend me some that are under $300? Thanks
>>
>>856603
I have the better version of that knife, it has EVEN MORE SHIT inside it, it was a marlboro promotional knife. It is the most useful fucking tool ever, when I was a kid and grounded I made so much shit with it, when I went camping I made SO MUCH SHIT with it.
>>
>>829284
swisstool is trash

regards, Eurocuck
>>
File: 14738497187671224751816.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
14738497187671224751816.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>828673
Really satisfied with the Wave, small, compact, light, everything I need.
>>
Ask /diy/, figure out what masons would like, carpenters, welders etc and design multitools for specific trades. Don't make them cheap either.
>>
>>856560

Why would you want a shitty replaceable blade when you can have a quality one that you can sharpen?
>>
>>854929

A lot of the things you're mentioning is stuff that I have been extremely glad I've had when there was no alternative around.

Sure, a chisel/mini pry-bar might seem stupid but when you need to lift a difficult distributor cap at 3am when it's raining and you don't have a screwdriver...
>>
>>856603

>filing your nails in the wilderness
>it's not just for nails
>it's not for the wilderness
>>
>>857117
filing can be pretty handy for hard skin tho, desu

Then again you can use a knife for that
>>
>>857114
Because I've got either a fixed blade or a folder on me anyway given the situation. Only use my multitool knife when I need something really sharp. I rarely use my multitool knife blade anyway, but I think replacement blades would make me use it more. Plus it would mean I could leave my actual havalon at home when hunting. You cant beat those scalpel blades whrn doing finesse work like caping a deer. Would also lighten up the tool and even decrease cost. To be honest I would just rather have no knife in a multitool that just a standard one like you normally see.
>>
>>830306
My Gerber has all that and it was only $30. I'm impressed enough not to go back to my former fave, the LM wave.>>830307
>>
>>830965
The saw actually is useful for shaping and cutting small items from wood and plastic to AL and soft metals on my Gerber.
>>
>>857390
Other than whittling, what small items do you cut and shape? Like, whats a practical use for these tiny saws?
>>
>>854929
I use multitools because they're always handy, including the saw and file. They're useful for shaping
>>
>>857395
Automotive stuff usually, sometimes in construction, if it'll be quicker than the trudge to the truck for a better tool. They're not the perfect tools for any job, bt they're often the right tool for the job because they're quicker to deploy.
>>
>>857395
For example, if I need to clean the inside orner of a 90° cut, and my chisel is more than 20' away, it's quicker to use the little saw. If a nailhead just won't sink and I don't want to mar the trim, and can't leave it, the file will quickly take it flush, and quicker then the journey to the truck.
>>
>>857395
>attacking and criticizing other peoples gear by bitchy passive agressive comments such as: like what practical use for bla bla bla could you have because no one could possibly need something different than me because mommy said I'm special

These are my favorite butthurt /out/ people. People so stuck in their own ways, they can't possibly understand someone else doing it differently. I don't know where this mindset comes from. Maybe low self esteem, ignorance, participation trophies, poorfags, or being told they are a special little snowflake too much.

People like you need to drink bleach then slit your wrists, while standing on a chair with a noose around your neck, and in a garage with the door shut and a car motor running.
>>
>>857552
You're projecting your insecurities pretty hard, bud. A genuine question was asked to what practical use for these tools were for. So far only one person has offered what they use it for >>857536 uses it for quick odd jobs to save a couple minutes from seeking the correct tool. This is more /diy/ than /out/.

Telling someone to kill themselves for not knowing what a small saw is for is a little extreme. Do you carry that attitude while camping and hiking?
>>
>>857557
You bet. Love seeing you people start telling me I don't need this or should have bought this instead. I tell them to fuck off just like I'm telling you. Except I'm not near as nice. Even better when after that they threaten to call the police or wardens because they think I'm doing something illegal (like legally burning dead wood). Feel free to visit the OT. I would love to meet you sometime.
>>
>>857633
Lol internet tough guy. Nobody told you what you do or do not need or how to use equipment purchased
>>
>>857633
>>>/b/
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.