[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 78

File: image.jpg (110KB, 586x592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 586x592px
#70.5- "Fishbra" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>821197

Had to deviate from the traditional numbering system to satisfy my love of dolphins and anon's love of fishbras. Now her boobs smell just like my mustache!

This summer heat needs to end soon, I'm trying to make it through August without dying of heat exhaustion. It's so hard to get out to the lake when the AC at home is set just right. But I still have some new lakes I need to explore this weekend so I might have to tolerate the sun in search of feesh.

Pastebin and Imgur are still there and open to new copypastas and informational pics.
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin!
>>
cabelas vs local shop?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>823905
So you killed it, right?
>>
>>823907
I liked my local shop up north, and I could always ask the dude for advice. Really good selection of tackle too so I would buy a lot of lures there but the rod and reel selection was a lot of high end stuff so I would buy my $40 rods from bigger retailers normally. Haven't found a local place around here that I'm attached to so I normally just do Dick's or Bass Pro. The few local shops with freshwater stuff around here have a limited selection of lures too so I normally don't go in there unless I'm going for live bait.

If you have a good local shop nearby that doesn't rape you on prices and gives you honest advice, spend money there and support them.
>>
File: IMG_20160727_203048.jpg (4MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160727_203048.jpg
4MB, 3088x4160px
>>823891
Fugg. My rod is 5'. Reel checks out tho, I guess I'll be fine to start?
>>
>>823916
Is that a babby Penn combo? What is the lure weight on the rod and line weight on the reel?

If that is an ultralight, throw some 4lb mono (possibly 6lb) and go out there for bass and crappie. Up north I would fish with ultralights (5'-6' rods) with 4lb test all the time since it was lots of 1lb-2lb bass and they put up a fun fight. If you hook a feisty 3lb bass with an ultralight, it gets the adrenaline going.

One thing about the short rods is that you will lose some casting distance unfortunately. But that lighter combo will cast smaller lures better.
>>
>>823916
Or just what model is the reel? Those have a pretty good line capacity. If it is the 2000, get down on some 6lb or 8lb mono. 1000, 4lb or 6lb. 6lb would probably be good, will get you through weeds a little better than the 4lb.

There is also braid, but I think you should start with mono first.
>>
>>823921
It's an ugly ultralight with a penn fierce 2, the 3000 one.
>>
>>823923
The rod has a lure rating of 1/32 - 1/4 and line up 6lb.
>>
>>823926
Alright, I couldn't tell if that was the Fierce rod or an Ugly Stik.

That rod is really light for that reel tbqhwy. If you want to go bass fishing with it, casting 1/2oz+ lures will be a little difficult. I would reccommend a 6'6" or 7' medium weight rod. And the rods will have lure and line weights on them. A medium will be like 6lb-12lb line and 1/8oz to 1oz lures.

Have you bought line yet? With that reel, I think some 8lb or 10lb mono like Trilene will serve you well.
>>
File: DSC01587.jpg (3MB, 4240x2832px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01587.jpg
3MB, 4240x2832px
>>823932
No line yet. I made a mess playing with the reel that was on the rod. Well fugg, I'll just have to go buy up a bigger rod then. Maybe buy up a smaller reel later on for this 'un
>>
>>823929
I figured.

1/32oz is going to be like bluegill lures. 1/4oz is the lighter end of any lures that you would use for bass. I'm not tryin to make anybody regret their purchases (they can figure that out on their own) but that rod and reel don't match up.

If you want to do panfish like bluegill and crappie almost exclusively, you could keep that rod but exchange that reel for a 1000 size. If you want to do bass and still be able to get bluegill, crappie, even channel cats and most freshwater stuff that isn't huge, that's a great reel for that but you want a heaver rod (medium weight) and you will be able to cast much further with a 6'-7' rod. 6'6" is a common size for medium weight rods that would match that reel and 7' will be great too with a lil more distance on the casts.

I'm gonna pass out but will be lurking tomorrow morning.
>>
>>823935
Kek, I was going to jokingly say that. I'm addicted to buying tackle so I would end up doing that. Having a UL combo is great for when the bass aren't biting and you want to catch a ton of bluegill.

You could grab a Shimano Sienna, Abu Cardinal, or Pflueger Trion reel in like 1000 size for around $30 and pop it on that 5' UL rod. Rig those up with 4lb line. Then grab a heavier and longer rod for that Fierce 3000 and rig that up with 10lb line.

Is that 5' Ugly Stik new? Just exchange it. Even if you bought it online or something, every fishing retailer sells Ugly Stiks (even Walmart) so you could easily go there with no reciept and grab a medium.
>>
>>823908
you dont kill bowfin dumbass. they are a native species
>>
>>823943
>>>>the joke
>your head
>>
>>823907
Depends on what you need, how far you have to drive, and how much you want to pay.

I like to patronize my local shop, mostly because I like the old codger who runs it. He tells good jokes.

You can't beat him for live bait. Local shops often have better live bait I find. I don't like buying live stuff from my BPS.

When I'm buying plastics, I like to stock up, so I hit up BPS. They sell Yum Fingers for $3 a bag. My local guy charges $4. That adds up quick.

For gear, big box usually has a bigger selection, but locals can always order, and often give better advice. Though truth be told, I've never run into an idiot working at BPS (I don't have a Cabela's locally). They usually staff them with people who know their gear decently enough.

Also, if you're lucky enough to have a local shop run by an old timer, they'll teach you some shit. I learned all about catfishing with bamboo the other day. Opened up my eyes.
>>
>>823945
retards wont know that your kidding and end up killing them because they think its a snakehead
>>
>>823907
I live near one of North Americas salmon capitols and there is nothing but local shops, and a lot of them. most of them carry a wide verity of tackle as well, not just salmon oriented
>>
>>823953
what state?
>>
>>823959
New York
>>
>>823962
fugg
>>
File: perch and pnkseed.jpg (98KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
perch and pnkseed.jpg
98KB, 1328x747px
The usual Lake George catch from today.
>>
>>823966
Yea its really been dawning on me this summer how lucky I am to have several large bodies of water all within less then an hour drive. Saving up for a nice bass boat so I can start fishing them to their fullest extent
>>
>>823907
>cabelas vs local shop?

I'm lucky to have an awesome local shop year-round. They even host seminars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THzan5PQehw

In general local stores always have always been better though, when I need a hot item they're almost never out of it. Cabelas and chains always get picked over and understocked in the one size snap swivel or weight line or color pattern lure you (and everyone else probably) actually want.
>>
>>823980
Me too. I'm in central NC.

I have multiple large lakes and rivers, including good spots for wading. I go 2 hours east and I'm at the coast for surf fishing. I go 2 hours west and I'm in the mountains chasing trout.

But damn, do I need a boat.

I figure 6K or so I'll get me a decent used boat. I don't need anything special. I'm happy with an aluminum hull and an outboard Mercury.
>>
>>823980
I was hoping you were from WA so ya could teach me some shit
>>
File: canoe s.jpg (107KB, 1498x863px) Image search: [Google]
canoe s.jpg
107KB, 1498x863px
>>823980
>NY
>several large bodies of water

Where you at?

Capital region here. But from the fingerlakes.
>>
>>823985
there are some pretty nice older bass boats around 5-8k on CL near me. Id love to get a 2010 and newer nitro but they start jumping pretty high the newer they get
>>
>>823993
I live a 3 miles from Oneida Lake
>>
>>823993
Thank you, for not triggering my autism with which way the flag is facing.
>>
>>824006
How do you know that isn't the stern?
>>
>>824009
Because of the way the flag is facing.
>>
>>824000
>I live a 3 miles from Oneida Lake

I fished Oneida once this spring, it's a lot more shallow and spread out than I'm used to. But yes we're very blessed to have so many big waters around...I still haven't really fished Ontario/Erie or any of the major rivers.
>>
>>824011
Maybe they put it on backwards...
>>
File: 1469389167651.jpg (1MB, 3024x2146px) Image search: [Google]
1469389167651.jpg
1MB, 3024x2146px
>>824017
super shallow compared to the finger lakes considering its size. Fished Galloo Island's on Ontario last Sunday for smallies (pic related). Some other great spots not far from me are Onondaga lake, Redfield Reservoir, and the salmon river
>>
File: canoe9.jpg (60KB, 575x301px) Image search: [Google]
canoe9.jpg
60KB, 575x301px
>>824009
>>824019
>Maybe they put it on backwards...
>>824011

oh FFS guys, it's the bow. pic related is the stern.
>>
How do I catch bass from the bank in this summer heat? The only thing I am catching is pickerel.
>>
>>823306
Just got this rod the other day. Fucking love it. I'm only comparing it to an Ugly Stik though and when I was younger a Zebco was about the best thing I ever fished.
>>
Shitty Nj fisherman here. Been too hot to fish for two weeks. Still no bass.

May be going to shore ina few weeks. May wanna do some saltwater fishing.

What is a good cheap saltwater spinning reel I can get for some bay fishing?

Is there a saltwater equivalent to panfish I can catch?

What kind of bait do I need?
>>
>>823926
>3000
wow, that looks tiny for a 3k
I like it.
>>
>>823932
>couldn't tell if that was the Fierce rod or an Ugly Stik
look at the tip
>>
Total WTF night.
Went out around 6
Hit the Canal, the big ditch. 2 tiny sea bass, 1 starfish.
Lost my fav 2oz weight and hi-lo rig
Move to another spot. Can hear stripers slurping. Shine headlamp out can see them just under surface. Won't touch a F*ing thing I toss.
Srsly, not 1 hit.
Bonus, --- watching jellies light up the cove.
>>
File: merthiolate.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
merthiolate.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
zoom trick worms in merthiolate and chartreuse are not stocked anywhere, what the hell? they used to be so popular.

i'm not driving to bass pro 50 miles away to get them but i'm dangerously low on merthiolates.

there's something sexy about how they fucking glow in low light.
>>
>>824140
I like the plain black trick worms the best

Bubblegum are good too
>>
>>824140

merthiolate
chartruese

i love fishing colour names
>>
>>824149
I like how Zoom regular baits are 6" and that they call the 8" ones "magnum" and the 4" ones "mini" lol
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-28+at+03.33.08).jpg (31KB, 420x385px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-28+at+03.33.08).jpg
31KB, 420x385px
>>824151
>>
so i just spooled up an early chinese model zebco 33 with like 200 yards of black sewing thread on a medium/light rod.

this is costing me zero money so i don't give a fuck how bad this turns out.

expecting ridiculous casting distances.
>>
>>824032
Find a drop-off, wait til dusk, load up on some weight, cast out towards that goddamn drop-off.

>>824035
I'm not a big fan of Ugly Stiks for casting lures either way. Of course the Blackout is going to be nicer at twice the price, but even a few other rods right around the same price as Ugly Stiks seem to be much better for working lures. The action on most Ugly Stiks just seems to be way too slow.
>>
about to go out in the boat, will report back.
>>
>>824171
Ugly Stiks are tough as nails. That's where their market is. They lack finesse and sensitivity, but you can't break the damn things.

I bought a 6'6" Shimano Voltaeus at Ollie's (Big Lots for the East Coast, always has fishing gear of some sort) for $20 a few years ago. It has more feeling than an Ugly Still ever could.

But, for the rod I keep in my truck just because, and the little spinner I bring backpacking and camping, Uglies fit the bill. I can beat them up, drop them, kick them, close them in doors, stuff them in a pack, and they'll still fish just as well as before. They'll still pull in a few bluegills for dinner.

And, if I do manage to bust it up somehow, it was $20 from WalMart.
>>
I want to use live bait next trip out, id like to catch them myself rather from a bait shop.

What's the best way to catch lil minnows with a rod/reel? I dont like the idea of using a net or a trap atm.

Additionally will other fish go for cutbait like panfish that I catch that is a bit too big?

By other fish I mean, bass, pike, trout, and cats.
>>
File: Strip_Bait_intro.jpg (88KB, 990x550px) Image search: [Google]
Strip_Bait_intro.jpg
88KB, 990x550px
>>824195
>What's the best way to catch lil minnows with a rod/reel? I dont like the idea of using a net or a trap atm.

Microthin line. Tiny ass hook, Tiny ass bait. Use small streams, especially where the culvert under a road dumps out and had made a pool of water on the lower side.

The biggest problem with this is that you are seriously harming the minnows, if you want them for live bait. This is why a seine or trap is best. There's no handling of the minnows with those.

>$19.99
Frabill Minnow Seine Net, 4' x 12', 1/4" Mesh
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Minnow-Seine-Net-4-x-12-1-4-Mesh/25529257

All you need are two long sticks/poles to use those. You just dip it into a stream pool and pick it up. You have tons of minnows.

If you don't need them alive then any method will work, but you should consider "strip bait" instead. That will allow you to catch only a couple larger fish then cut them up to make lots of strip bait. Scaling this method up and down allows you to use it for fresh or salt water targets. You can use it with just a hook or with a multitude of lures. One bluegill, chub, or shiner can last quite a while this way.

http://www.fishtrack.com/how-to/how-to-rig-a-strip-bait_101946
http://www.fishtrack.com/how-to/how-to-rig-strip-baits-for-offshore-trolling_126751
>>
>>824195
>Additionally will other fish go for cutbait like panfish that I catch that is a bit too big?

Yes, but it can be hit or miss. Bass, catfish, and pike certainly will, but it depends on the type of trout you are targeting. It depends on presentation too. Even some catfish need that lively minnow or goldfish to attract them. Cut and dead bait has more potential to attract bullhead catfish and turtles where I live.

There's nothing quite like reeling in a hand sized bluegill you just caught only to see a massive bass or musky swallow the thing whole and you can't do anything about it because the bluegill swallowed the hook. So, I know that even massive bluegill can work, it is all about their presentation.
>>
>>824200
that's what I was thinking, that bluegill get a bit too big for some game fish like bass. Do they really just find a way to fit a whole hand sized bluegill in their system?

In that case a live bluegill seems like the best presentation. Perhaps I need to focus on smaller ones just so it's easier to set the hook
>>
>>824195
I agree with >>824198. The best thing to do is get a net or a trap. Gather a bunch of minnow that way.

The idea of catching minnows on a hook makes me want to tear my hair out in frustration.
>>
>>824036
best cheapest is Penn Pursuit. You can get a combo for around $60 and it's not bad.
Don't know if NJ has them but scup/porgies are basically panfish and I use a 5'6" with a 1k reel sometimes to play with them.
Squid, squid, squid. Everything in the ocean eats squid.
Go to a local bait shop and ask advice, better yet, call a couple now and ask them what people are catching from shore.
>>
>>823946
>I learned all about catfishing with bamboo the other day
Care to share a bit of that?
>>
File: 0728160927a.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
0728160927a.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Wish you gags were here
>>
File: frogs.jpg (67KB, 750x382px) Image search: [Google]
frogs.jpg
67KB, 750x382px
>>824222
I'd like to be!
>>
>>824206
Yes, use smaller ones. The only reason the over-sized one attracts predators is its behavior while on the hook. They can't resist all that action going on. The only reason the bluegill are so tall is because of the larger predators. They grow tall to prevent them from being swallowed.

Thus, a smaller, easily consumed bluegill with a live presentation should attract predator fish and you should be able to hook them easily.
>>
anyone make their own floats and stuff out of wine corks? please share
>>
>>824217
So rig it up like a traditional catfish rig, treble hook with weights below. Bait doesn't matter, but he said he likes chicken liver the best. Canned dog food works great too apparently, especially if you let it rot in the sun a few days.

The basics, as I understood them, was to fight the fish dead tired before you tried to bring him to shore. Sweep the rod back and forth, figure 8s work well, to keep the fish moving. Especially if it's a big fish, keep them in the water until they barely have any fight left. If you're on a dock, walk around the dock as best you can.

He talked about it like a constant give and take. Give the fish some line and pole, even dip it in the water if you have to, and slowly and smoothly being it back. Don't even try to retrieve the fish until he's good and worn out.

And never, he made a point of this, let the line go slack. Apparently they're good at throwing hooks off of slacked line.

Really, I feel like that's good advise for fighting in any fish. So often, we are in such a hurry to get the fish in and onshore, or the boat, that we don't work the fish like we should, and make it harder on yourself.

Fishing is about patience and discipline. So why should that stop once the fish bites?
>>
>>824279
I think this depends on if you actually want the fish to die or not. I think ethnically you shouldn't use under rated tackle for a fish unless you are 100% going to eat it.
>>
>>824279
>And never, he made a point of this, let the line go slack
Good advice for any fish really.

I also agree with >>824288 in that you should only do this if you intend to keep the fish.
>>
how do you make sure the line doesnt go slack? I guess that's when you want to reel in, just when there is slack, and never reel in when you have the fish pulling on the line. The rest of the time you should be tugging on the pole just to fight the fish a bit
>>
>>824292
If you're not reeling you should be keeping tension on the line by pulling back on the rod.
>>
>>824294
i see, and when there is slack, from when maybe the fish stops or turns toward you, is when you reel in that slack
>>
Are there any good med/heavy or heavy conventional reel combos in a left handed setup? I like the Abu ambassedur but I really dislike using baitcasters with the reel on the right side
>>
>>824296
Pull, reel, pull, reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tld76UDsHnc
>>
File: 73500286.webm (939KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
73500286.webm
939KB, 640x480px
>>823902
>>
>>824311
>>824296
I like that with baitcasters you don't have to stop reeling really
>>
>>824311
>Guuooood gravy look a here
>>
File: fuck.png (181KB, 291x268px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
181KB, 291x268px
>bunch of retards showed up to the dock
>called every fish they caught a "bass", guy told his kid that a sunfish was a bass, and big bass are called largemouth bass
>handling the fish terribly, killed two of them, kept jamming their fingers in their gills and literally throwing them at the water
>kid kept screeching "I GOT ONE" then """"losing"""" it or coming back with salad
>guy kept trying to catch this muskie that was jumping around near them, snapped his line twice, blamed it on the 'shitty line' and not himself for trying to catch a muskie with like 10 lb mono
>they ended up catching a smallmouth by some miracle and literally dropped it on the ground
>>
>>824288
I agree.

That said, the man who taught me this is an old timer from rural NC. I'm sure he fished so that he could eat.
>>
File: c4.png (1MB, 1142x1014px) Image search: [Google]
c4.png
1MB, 1142x1014px
>>824298
I have an ambassadour C4 and they come in both left or right
>>
>>824333

this is a great cheap reel for any spinningfags thinking about switching to memecasters.

I thought myself to cast on one of these
>>
>>824327
this is why I dont worry about people on this board making minor mistakes. I know that there are thousands of people just like what you saw mistreating and overall shitting on the sport of fishing every day. fucking hate those faggots, it really triggers me. thank god every single person I know at least understand the basics of fishing and how not to be a complete and utter fuck head when handling them
>>
>>824336
I want one but I just can't justify spending $120 on a fishing reel.
>>
>>824336
that reel was twice as much as my spinning reel so I wouldnt really call it cheap. also $60 more then my low profile caster
>>
>>824339
I justified it by knowing that it will last me for the rest of my life as long as I maintain and care for it
>>
>>824339
>>824340

oh yeah, I forgot I have to buy $200+ shit

for me anything $150 and below is cheap. And my Ambassadours were hand me downs, that why I probably thought it was cheap

Shimano Citicas E are nice choice too, got mine for around $90 on ebay
>>
>>824342
That's a good point for someone dedicated to the hobby. I'm just not sure I'm that dedicated yet. I've been using a $25 Walmart combo for 2 years. I just don't go often enough and I've given up fishing about 10 times in my life now.
>>
File: Morrum.png (330KB, 908x710px) Image search: [Google]
Morrum.png
330KB, 908x710px
>>824339
i mean... you could really get nuts if you wanted to. this reel has the same specs as that c4 just has more bling
>>
>>824345
its not so much about the price itself with those its the fact that the c3, c4, and other high end ambassadors are made in Sweden instead of a Chinese factory. Also the materials on the china reels are utter dog shit compared to the genuine Swedish ones which makes it a no brainer for me
>>
>>824348

sometimes China ain't that bad tho

Two of my favorite reel that I have are made in china, but I've seen the insides and outsides of it plus read extensive reviews before getting them.

Pretty pleased with them, caught plenty of fish.
>>
>>824355
What are they?
>>
>>824355
No you're right, not all China reels are bad but these specific reels made in China are real bad. Ive been trying to get my hands on a Metanium which is made in Japan but ebay doesn't have any good deal at the moment
>>
>>824356
a penn fathom 25N 2 speed and my okuma cortez 5
>>
>>824210
Is there an equivalent to uglystik semi shitty rod that is still passable and decent value for salt water fishing?

I am only really gonna be doing this once a year.
>>
>>824366
There's uglystik salt rods anon
>>
File: image.jpg (126KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 750x1334px
Fuckfuckfuck
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 640x1136px
Anyvody need a pair of fishin shades?

>>824430
That's not bad at all. High 80s in the shade with a breeze is comfy.
>>
>>823936
Worst part is I can't exchange cause I bought from a place going out of business. Good deal, just can't return or refund. What a nice cheap 6'6" rod that's pretty sensitive?
>>
>>823916
>>823929
>>824451
If you havent caught fish before, i'd just slam panfish and smaller bass and stuff and buy bigger rod next season. It's all good fun. Plus you can eat bluegills and perch. Freshwater Bass are supposed to taste terrible
>>
>>824462
So pick up a 1000 reel, or just load up 6lb into mine?
>>
>>824463
Let me get home and check what size i have on my lighter rods. For bass i use 2500 reel though.

You can put a bigger size line than your reels says it can do, dont have to put 6lb mono just because it says so. You just get to use less line if your spool is small.

But sizing up like pepsi says will give you more versatility on the size lines you can have, not that a bluegill is gonna spool you.
>>
>>824469
My reel says 8 to 12lb for mono so it'd be under sized. I'll have a look in at reel prices at walmart when I go for line
>>
>>824462
Bass doesn't have much flavor at all really. I find it quite mild.

However, BIG bass, just like big catfish for that matter, have a funky texture. The meat is soft and cottony. Younger, smaller bass, in the 2ish pound range, are great for eating.

Also, speaking as someone from South Louisiana, anything tastes good with the right recipe. One of my favorite things is fish balls made with bowfin (called choupique down there). But I would never eat a bowfin filet.
>>
>>824469
>>824462
He has a nice reel, but the sizes don't match up at all. I wouldn't even run that reel with that rod. I mean he could put 250yds od 4lb mono or something ridiculous, but I think he would be better off grabbing a proper rod for that Penn or hitting up Dick's when they have Shimano Siennas for $20.

>>824451
Everywhere sells Ugly Stiks, you could bring it to any of the major stores and say you bought the wrong size and just want to exchange it.

Otherwise for a 6'6" M rod that has some action for a good price, I really like Berkley Lightning Rods. They are about the same price as Ugly Stiks.

Otherwise if you have Bass Pro, Dick's, Cabela's, or Gander Mtn nearby and don't want to drop a bunch more money, you could grab one of their $20 store brand rods.

I think you should just exchange the Ugly Stik somewhere else.
>>
>>824492
Alright, I'll pop by Walmart tonight after work. I'm sure they won't care around midnight. Imma go attach the old reel back on. Or will they take just the rod?
>>
File: IMG_20160728_163155.jpg (3MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_163155.jpg
3MB, 3088x4160px
>>824496
Here's the shitty combo reel it came with.
>>
>>824501
Hmm, as long as they carry the combos,
Go for it. Even if they don't have the exact one, tell them you ordered if from their website. The combos normally run $40-$50 while the rods alone are $10 less. They will give zero fucks if you don't have a receipt and you didn't steal it from there, especially if you are trying to exchange it for basically the same thing in a different size.

See if they have the Berkley Lightning Rods. Walmarts normally carry them, they are orange so you can't miss them. Just compare an Ugly Stik and a Lightning Rod that are the same size. The tip on the Berkley will be faster.
>>
>>824492
Yeah i do like siennas pretty nice. I got the 4000rd version
>>
>>824516
That rod anon got reminds me of my UL Ugly Stik with a Sienna. It is a 5' rod, which I wish was longer (maybe 6' or at least 5'6") and it has a Sienna 500FD on it (should've gone with the 1000). The 500 is actually fine for that setup, but the reel is just so small that it feels unnatural after using 2000s and 3000s all the time. Nothing against the 500, just preference.

I haven't used that one much recently, I have a light 5'6" cheapo Bass Pro rod with an old Quantum 10-sized reel and I will cast 1/16oz stuff with that. I think I need to re-spool the Sienna after Miami anon got a gazillion knots in it somehow. I think it was that 6lb braid and a flexible rod, you gotta pay attention to the line.
>>
>>824430
>wake up excited
>load kayak and gear on car
>eat big breakfast
>hop in car and start driving with bright blue skies
>20 miles down the road the sky is falling

Such is life in Florida. I was really looking forwards to catching some trout or reds but the weather prevented me again. It's been weeks :^(
>>
>>824528
What kind of Florida weather is that?

When it's raining like crazy and I want to go fishing, I have two choices- I can wait 15 minutes and the sky will be clear or I can go to a lake 2mi away and the sky will be clear over there.
>>
>>824530
It cleared within 15 minutes but I honestly kind of just wanted an excuse to not go. I was missing some gear I wanted to bring and had a lot of responsobility back at home to take care of.

It's hot as fuck so I probably wouldn't have done too good anyways.
>>
>>824333
That's perfect. I want a new setup for catfish and figured a conventional lets me spool lots of braid for the big blues sitting on the lake bottom. I wouldn't mind a right handed but I've got a bum left shoulder and trying to work a big fish on that arm would wreck me
>>
>>824366
Shakespeare and RF? have the combos (pier, surf) that come with a crap reel, rod, spooled with mono and with some tackle for 40-80ish USD
Try West Marine, Kmart, walmart, Dick's in salt/ocean areas.
>>
Any tips for fishing in wide rivers?

Doesnt go too deep but there are some obvious deep depressions in the river I was in.

Also how do you go about handling a bluegill as livebait, just toss him out and let him do his own thing or reel him in a bit to create some action in the water to attract other fish?
>>
>>824590
when using live fish I typically toss them out and occasionally tug on the line and reel up a tiny bit just to displace them from any weeds or structure they could be trying to hide in.
>>
File: C4 variants.png (31KB, 894x354px) Image search: [Google]
C4 variants.png
31KB, 894x354px
>>824573
probably wanna go with the 6000 series c4 then. these are all the variants that that reel comes in
>>
File: IMG953298.png (776KB, 647x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG953298.png
776KB, 647x1152px
Day off at the beach
Nothing but sea robbins
Still better than work
>>
>>824605
Can you eat those?
>>
I've got a 6'6" medium rod. I was thinking of changing from 10lb mono to 6 or 8 because I'm pretty sure 10 is too heavy/unnecessary.

What size lure would you guys use when fishing for stocked lake. I like in line spinners like panther Martin's or rooster rails. Spoons are also good.
>>
>>824611
Some people say they're like fluke or any other nice white meat

If I had brought my fillet knife with me I would have fed the family
I caught 20 or so my little cousin caught 4 or 5 and my uncle caught one or two aswell

Was only at the beach for maybe 5 hours and only fished for a fraction of that

Also got some sunburn on spots on my back because I didn't spray well, worth it
>>
new angler from a few days ago here, I'm trying to do some research into steelhead fishing so I don't look like an idiot tomorrow when I go to local shop. I found this supposedly good rig for steel head, can anyone explain this or should I just ask the guy tomorrow?

15-20 lb. test, main line Ù bobber stop knot Ù 3-5 mm. bead Ù ¼ oz. bobber Ù 8-12 lb. test, fluorocarbon leader at 12-36” Ù ¼ oz jig.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>824616
>not Mepps

If the 10lb really seems like overkill, go with 6lb. Should be more than enough for trout and small-medium bass and will cast 1/8oz inlines well.

Anybody here use the Panther Martins a lot? I believe they are made by Woorden's or whoever it is that makes Rooster Tails. I was thinkin about grabbing a couple, but I only ever find small ~1/8pz ones. Are they pretty much like Mepps XD's? Blade shape and everything looks the same.

Might just have to order a couple Mepps XD's in like #3 and #4 on the interwebs.
>>
>>824624
Well the issue is my casting is really poor. It's Avery old rod and reel that have barely been used and never maintained.

But I fish for lake stocked rainbow trout. I posted a pic a while back with a 14" at the start of the season. That was trolling, still I feel it was luck too.

After a full season of pics poor luck I'm grasping for straws at what I'm doing wrong.

I prefer lure fishing, but I don't think I have lined up my rod, reel and lures well.

Tfw troutposting but no trout to show
>>
>>824625
I mean even if you are running an old and beat up spinning reel, it should still cast fine if everything else is in order. Use good line, change it at least once a year if using mono, more often if you fish a lot. Make sure you spool the reel correctly, your casts will lose distance if the reel isn't full. Longer rods will help cast a little further, but you also want to make sure the rod's weight and action is appropriate for the lure.

Sounds like you should def go lower than 10lb mono line if you are going for stocked trout and panfish. Seems like 10lb on spinning reels starts to restrict casting distance when you go lighter than 1/4oz lures. 6lb mono will make a big difference.

There is also braid...
>>
>>824586
>RF?
This is R2F as in Ready to Fish
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 640x853px
Got this fatty earlier this evening

Biggest I've gotten in a while
Very nice catch

He was covered in the biggest mat of weeds ever but I was still able to land him
>>
File: 0728162156.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
0728162156.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
This is the good stuff, right?
>>
>>824707
Depends who you ask.

I, personally, am not a fan of braid. I like my old school mono. Some good old Trilene and I'm happy.

That said. I've heard good things about power pro from people that like braid.
>>
Anyone suggest a good intro baitcasting reel for around $60-$80?
>>
>>824728
I have an abu black promax 3 and love it, definitely a good beginner baitcaster around $45-70 at walmart
>>
>>824728

abu silver max, 50 at walmart.
>>
File: 100_5487.jpg (391KB, 1037x778px) Image search: [Google]
100_5487.jpg
391KB, 1037x778px
>>824700
Nice fish. What'd you catch him on? I got this smallie on a curly tail grub spinner jig.
>>
File: DOOZER_HLGB_large[1].jpg (26KB, 480x335px) Image search: [Google]
DOOZER_HLGB_large[1].jpg
26KB, 480x335px
Bought one of these bad boys for Sunday, anyone had experience with Jackall Hardbodies? I readn an article written in a fishing mag by a pro who says he always takes off the split ring on the head and ties onto the little tow point for better swimming action, wonder if there's any truth to that.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 308x781px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 308x781px
>>824757
Nice I would love to go for smallies but I'm too far south for them

I got him on a Zoom mini lizard rigged on a 1/16oz slider head
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
3KB, 225x225px
>>824764
I've been wanting to try those and the tiny brush hogs. the regular sized ones are a little too big for rivers around here. I'm sure there are fish in there big enough for them but not many. Here's what I've used the last couple of days with success. I ended up getting it snagged and losing it, so I'll be going back to Walmart soon.
>>
>>824769

with a little effort you can find jig heads that work well for hiding that hook like a texas rig so you don't snag on every single thing.

personally i run 1/0 worm hooks texas rigged with twirl tail grubs like that. you can add the spinner if you want. add a heavy round sinker and you've got the same effect of the jig head.

or go hog wild and attach the sinker onto the spinner section ensuring it doesn't spin around too much.
>>
>>824707

great on memecasters, prefer izorline on my conventionals for the bigger shit.
>>
>>824605
>touching a searobin

Nah son. Never trust a fish with legs.
>>
File: image.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>824769
Those mini lizards are the best thing I've ever fished hands down
I can't recommend them highly enough

Also if you're getting hung up a lot try out slider heads
They glide over everything real well and pickup less weeds and get snagged less than anything else I've fished
>>
>>824776
With the texas rig, I've always wondered if it works well when used exactly like a jig or does the sinker's movement back and fourth fuck with the action. I've used a texas rig a few times but with no success.

>>824786
I'll get some of these as soon as possible. Looks like it could solve a lot of my problems with snags. I love fishing with jigs, but they tend to hang up on everything.
>>
>>824790
With Texas rigs it's real important to get the sinker weight right for the bait or else it will tend to bury itself which can kill the action
If you're using something like a finesse worm it doesn't matter that much as the worm will stay vertical for a bit and get some good movement but with things like lizards and brush hogs and crawdads I always tend towards the side of lighter rather than heavier
>>
>>824811
That could be my problem. I was using a fairly large bullet sinker with a baby brush hog thinking that a bait that large would require a larger sinker. I'll try a smaller one next time I do the Texas rig and post results.
>>
>>824206
The size of the bream directly correlates to the size fish your targeting. I've caught blues on bream you would never dream of putting on a hook i.e. make you look up the state record size bream
>>
File: ivan goes fishing.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ivan goes fishing.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>824834

i guess i'm just a panfish bluegill redbreast bream loving faggot but the idea of catching bigger fish with a fish i like to catch feels just a little bit wrong when i can do the same thing with a shiner. shiners are useless for sport fishing whereas that itty bitty titty bream will grow up into something worth fighting and eating.

that being said i have caught some 5+ lb bass on bream that ended up in a castnet by accident.

well it's 5 am so i guess i should go fishing. spooled up that 150 yards of power pro 20 lb braid onto the pfleuger president 40 size reel with the calico jack medium heavy 7 foot rod. that's gonna be my go to bitch for when i get tired of the memecaster on 15 lb fluoro.

the polyester thread didn't work so well for the ultralight so i just got some 4 LB mono instead. i couldn't find nylon mono thread in walmart either, was hoping to find something like 1000 yards of 1-3 lb equivalent for a few dollars but no such luck.

if anybody here ultralight's with sewing thread for shits and giggles then lead me in the right direction.

>>824811

this guy is right, always go lighter than you think and once you get your shit in clear/close enough water to watch the action, go heavier as necessary. with bass and worms i don't go crazy heavy unless i'm memecasting in the mid day heat and gotta get inna deep water fast when my patience is this and bass are likely just reaction striking instead of actually looking for lunch.
>>
>>824785
Had toto unhook them,
Plus my lil cousin wanted a picture or two

By the end of the day they were sea ducks, based on how they would quack at us
>>
>>824707
Yeee

PowerPro is pretty much the gold standard for braid.

>>824728
Can't go wrong with any Abus. You might be able to find an Orra in that range if you look around.

>>824811
>>824848
+1 with the weights. I run 1/2oz weights when I'm trying to cast really far to deep water, but when the fish are being picky they don't like to hit T-rigs that heavy. I'll throw on a 1/8 or 3/16oz weight and the baits fall slower and have better movement and the fish can't resist it.
>>
File: DSCN4993a.jpg (647KB, 2048x1534px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4993a.jpg
647KB, 2048x1534px
>>824848
>if anybody here ultralight's with sewing thread for shits and giggles then lead me in the right direction.

That is exactly what I use, "Coats Nylon Transparent Thread." Reposted pics related.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coats-Nylon-Transparent-Thread-300-yds/19238120
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182208001385
>>
>>824621
>so I don't look like an idiot tomorrow when I go to local shop

Go to the shop. Explain you're new. Stick to your budget. 90% of local shops are more than happy to not only shoot the shit and teach a new person but to make a decent sized sale. They'll take the time to answer every question you've got so long as there's not a line at the counter. Those guys eat, sleep, and breathe fishing 24/7. Make sure you buy from them if they're taking the time to talk with you.

Unless they're the 10% that are assholes. In that case find a new shop. I can't stand niche stores with asshole workers.
>>
>>824904
Care to tell me what's on your hook? I love to fish bluegill and green sunfish but sometimes the bait stealing little bastards will go through a container of nightcrawlers in an hour. Feels like I spend more time putting on worms than I do drowning them.
>>
>>824910
You should grab some wax worms. Best bluegill bait.
>>
>>824910
I used a self made paracord lure.

Don't waste worms for panfish, they really will hit anything that's small but they do nibble a lot
>>
>>824912
Perhaps I'll pick some up. Nightcrawlers are free though and I'm a cheap ass.
>>
File: DSCN5109a.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5109a.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
>>824910
A tiny piece of silver "Holographic Curling Ribbon". You get those at craft stores, online, any place that sells ribbon for decor and gift wrapping.

It is super light so you may want to add a tiny sinker or just a snap swivel to it. That hook is an "Eagle Claw Baitholder Hook" which has those 2 small barbs on the shank. Those allow the ribbon to have a bend in it. Which allows the ribbon to jig and dance depending on how you reel in or jig it.

This will also catch bass since it looks like a minnow, so you may lose it if you use the same setup as I do. Luckily, all materials are ultra cheap.
>>
>>824917
Thanks. Love DIY fishing stuff!

>>824913
>paracord lure
Neat. I've made jigs years ago and tied flys. I'll give this a go!
>>
>>824917
about these ribbons, do you do anything special to it or is it just a slice of ribbon on the hook for you? I know what you're talking about with the hooks, so it sort of curls on the hook.

You think you could improve it in anyway? Maybe heating the ribbon to fit a rounded object like a pen?
>>
>>824947
I'm thinking a drop of crazy glue would go a long way.
>>
File: DSCN5119a.jpg (884KB, 3072x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5119a.jpg
884KB, 3072x1532px
Just tested the action of a lure I made over the winter. It should work well for bass when it has a spinner attached and it performs well running through the water with the spinner. For sunfish, it is best without the spinner since they tend to bite the spinner instead of the hook area, but it really isn't for sunfish.

>>824947
I just cut it to size and hook it on the hook. Fitting it up on the shank provides more solid strikes. Having it down at the bottom curve of the hook makes for many missed strikes.

When I use it in other lure making I just super glue it in place as needed. It is curling ribbon so all you have to do to make it curled is to drag it across an edge like on a pair of scissors with your thumb pressing against it. After affixing it, you can use whatever top layer coat you want, if you're so inclined.
>>
File: Lure Testing.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lure Testing.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>824959
>>
File: 20160728_1205532.jpg (5MB, 4553x2697px) Image search: [Google]
20160728_1205532.jpg
5MB, 4553x2697px
Are white bass good for eating? I almost never keep any fish I catch but I've been thinking about keeping some white bass I've been catching
>>
>>825002
In freshwater, anything under 24" is good to eat, but check recommendations for pollution intake and portion size. Anything over 24" is likely to have too much pollution in them.
>>
File: 1451179121895.png (295KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451179121895.png
295KB, 600x600px
>all my favorite fishing youtubers are in my area fishing all my local fishing spots
>they are slamming the smallies and largies
>mfw when I go to the same spots as them I catch dick all
>>
>>824875
How are the rods on the Abu combos? Am I better off buying separately and matching it to a different rod for an extra $30 over the coat.of the combo?
>>
>>825043
Abu rods are normally decent, even the ones that come on the cheaper combos. If you can get the combo for only $20 more than the reel alone and it comes with an Abu rod, I would go for it. Ony way I would say you shouldn't do it is if you really don't like the action or size on the combo and need that 7' rod instead of the 6'6" one with the combo.
>>
>>825002
Depends on the body of water, look up the local recommendation.
>>
Day 4 of solo fishing and nothing. The clouds cleared away and I was stuck out in the sun.

Round valley is beautiful tho.
>>
File: BPSOSFM-2.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
BPSOSFM-2.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
you do own America's number 1 hat right?

on a side note, i wish I had a MAGA hat, but I like wearing my hat backwards sometimes and i don't want a big TRUMP on my forehead so liberals get mad at me.
>>
>>825118
I have that same BPS hat in white

Also have a white with gold lettering MAGA hat
Will be ordering the classic red one soon
>>
File: gooled sombrero.jpg (46KB, 350x228px) Image search: [Google]
gooled sombrero.jpg
46KB, 350x228px
>>825118
No, I use a giant oversized sombrero because I dislike getting a sunburn or wearing sunscreen. It doesn't have any lettering though.
>>
Reminder for all Florida fisherman in and around Miami to wear bug spray. 4 confirmed cases of zika virus in that area
>>
>>825130
You can thank your friendly Latin American immigrants for that one
>>
newfag here is this any good? what reel should i get with it?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/salmon-steelhead-rods%7C/pc/105625080/c/247672980/cabela-s-tourney-trail-174-salmon-steelhead-casting-rod/1931263.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FSalmon-Steelhead-Rods%2F247672980.uts
>>
>>825130
Darwinisn at it's finest. No babies for them, or if they do, the babies will be the last generation.
>>
>>825138
Read the reviews. Those storw-brand rods normally aren't bad. They are always made by the same manufacturer as other rod companies that charge more for a similar product.

You do realize that is a casting rod, right? The only models they have are 8'6" and 9', but pair it with an Abu Ambassadeur like a couple anons mentioned earlier and you should have a nice heavier combo. I think the cheaper Ambassadeurs start around $70.

>>825130
>tfw Pepsi is next
I have a can of bug spray in my tackle bag and another in my car. Normally the breeze keept them away, but if it is humid and I stay until dark it can get rough.

>>825080
>>825043
Also want to add, check out the action and weight on the rods too, whether you go with the combo or another rod. Lots of people run MH rods on baitcasting combos just so the tip is extra fast when playing around with 1oz jigs and spinnerbaits. You can go with a M rod, but some rods will have slower action that do really well with 1/8oz-1/4oz lures but suffer with heavier bass stuff.

My Cardinal SX spinning combo, that came with a 6'6" M rod and it was great for 1/4oz stuff but not the best with big 1/2oz+ crankbaits and stuff. The Fenwick rod I replaced it with is really similar. The Cardinal SX rod was actually nice for a $75 combo, but I broke it being a dumbass. With the slower action (not quite as stiff), that setup is nice for Mepps #2 and #3 or ~1/4oz Rapalas.
>>
>>825146
>You do realize that is a casting rod, right?
i was unaware of the differences. i need to do more googling
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 640x1136px
>>825150
If it has the trigger on the handle, it will be a casting rod where the reel sits on top unlike a spinning rod where the reel hangs below.

I'm sure you could get away with a casting reel on a spinning rod, but it won't have the trigger (which you may or may not even use) and the grip might be different. But a spinning reel on a casting rod wouldn't be the best. The guides on casting rods are normally smaller, especially the bottom couple guides. Plus you would have a trigger sitting on top of the rod and look like a weirdo.

Pay attention to how many pieces as well. I think those were both 2pc which is straight for a 9' rod, but I prefer 1pc rods although everything under 7'6". Some people say the action is better on 1pc rods but I never noticed a huge difference. And you don't want to accidentally buy a 5pc rod if you don't need it.
>>
>>825157
thanks for the info m8
>>
>>825132

Or tourists, there's a shit load of those.
>>
gonna go fish for bass in my local river. it's going to get dark in about half an hour, i got sapphire speed craws on a texas rig. do i need to know anything night fishing specific before heading out?
>>
>>825275
a lot more bugs out at night from what i hear, so cover up ur body with clothing at least.

also a lantern is necessary, maybe a headlamp, definitely not a flashlight where you need to hold it to make it useful
>>
>>824959
What is that thing in the second pic called? I wanna grab a few to make my own style of spinnerbait.
>>
>>825290
they were originally invented by cutting a spoon's handle and just using the spoon part. Perhaps the same can be done with plastic spoons but you need to make them shine. So perhaps that Holographic Curling Ribbon somehow glued onto it firmly.
>>
File: spinthing.jpg (27KB, 492x362px) Image search: [Google]
spinthing.jpg
27KB, 492x362px
>>825294
I'll leave the lure making to my friend. Any idea what these are called?
>>
>>825296
pretty sure it's a spoon but im a noob so i might be wrong
>>
>>825300
>>825296
Inline spinner pretty much
>>
>>825303
Inline spinners are those little buggers like the Mepps.
>>
File: DSCN5112a.jpg (172KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5112a.jpg
172KB, 1024x768px
>>825296
>>825290
>>825294
>>825303
>>825304
>>825300
"Short Striker Classic Spinner"
>>
>>825309
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Joes-Flies-Short-Striker-Spinners
>>
So maybe someone can explain this to me. I keep hearing about how bait cast reels cast further and with more precision than a spinner. How?

Wouldnt that depend on my how much you can load a rod, and the weight of the lure? How could the reel affect that at all? Isnt it just the spool that holds the line and pulls back the fish?
>>
File: image.jpg (810KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
810KB, 1536x2048px
Caught a mangrove snapper today. Didn't have a ton of luck at the beach this year but I hooked into a few of these guys along with some pinfish and a couple big toadfish.

Didn't know what a mangrove snapper was when I hooked it and I lipped it like a bass. Their teeth are sharp but luckily not too big
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>825316
Here's the toadfish
>>
File: IMG_20160729_203841.jpg (4MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160729_203841.jpg
4MB, 4640x3480px
I don't understand fish. Every single day I am at the lake, the bass are always coming up to eat. No top water action at all today. Idk what happened.

They were filming a TV show at the lake though, it was kinda cool.
>>
File: dako.jpg (34KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
dako.jpg
34KB, 960x540px
>>825313
conventional reels cast further in some applications but not all. typically long cast guys use conventional reels the reasoning is that the line has the least resistance moving off the spool (think straight line off the reel) whereas the spinning reel can have what is called line slap which would impede a long cast. a good rod maker can only do so much to reduce slap ie guide placement to reel, larger stripper guides, reducers ect..

levelwind baitcasters are a different animal.
some level winds move when the spool moves on some reels the levelwind stays centered. both impede log casts because the line has to move through the levelwind which in turn slows everything down.

spinning rods excel at casting light presentations. levelwinds suck at that.
>>
>>825309
>>825312
Thanks.
>>
>>825313
its hard to explain to someone who hasn't used one. With out a doubt are bait casters longer casting but more accurate. Firstly the cast itself takes a lot less effort, with that you can understand how having a less effort reel cast allows you to pitch and flip baits that you wouldnt be able to do on a spinning reel.

dont listen to what that other anon said because a good "level wind' caster will have virtually zero resistance except for the purposely engaged brake system that prevents backlash. get yourself a good bait caster and turn everything off and you will literally cast every bit of line off the spool. the weight of the lure also depends on the reel you specifically have. If you get a shit one or a low level one it will be difficult to cast light baits since its not nearly refined to the level most manufacturers can achieve.
>>
If I used a senko or brush hog one day, is it still good to use another day? Or has the fact that I threw it in the water a bunch of times ruined the "flavor" or whatever?
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-29+at+10.42.29).jpg (53KB, 329x615px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-29+at+10.42.29).jpg
53KB, 329x615px
>>825286

i was impatient and left quickly, presumed my flashlight was in my vehicle, but it wasn't

LESSONS;

- pictures are hard
- bring an actual light that isn't your phone's camera flash
- don't actually use the light because bugs will rape you
- wear clothes
>>
File: picicast08ardent03.jpg (54KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
picicast08ardent03.jpg
54KB, 400x268px
>>825313
as far as accuracy the baitcaster is easier to thumb the reel so you can control the cast much easier than spinning reels.

>>825337
>enthusiastic misinformation
>/out/ fishing

not all bait casters have "levelwind" hence the name distinction. theres a reason distance casters dont use "levelwinds" its because they dont cast as far. anon is asking about the "Distance" and accuracy (precision) so distance is the concern. If you are "literally cast every bit of line off the spool" then you also are in need of a reel with more capacity.
its been proven ages ago put a 5-6oz swimbait on a 11' rod and that little reel that you're casting all the line off of will cry.
>>
>>825348
>not all bait casters have "levelwind" hence the name distinction

I never said they all did. I was specifically talking about reels that do have it. Also nobod will onviously intentionaly cast all of the line of their reel thats retarded. its just a matter that it can be done. Most low profile reels range in the 100-140 yards spool size and if you get a good free spool reel that well built it will spin past the line has all been spun off. I also think you are talking about saltwater fishing because in no situation would I ever use any rod over 8'
>>
>>823902
Where did you get this particular picture, and do you have any more of this m'lady?
>>
does anyone own this shimano piece?

canadian tire has a shimano spinning combo with this reel for $39.99

the rod is a medium action 8-14lb 6'6" - 7" rod (couldn't remember), it looks fucking beautiful, i need to get my own rod soon and im thinking about going for it. thoughts?
>>
>>825377

canadian tire's website wouldn't load the page, but here is the rod (specifically the FXS70MB2)

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-ix-fx-spinning-combos.html
>>
File: 1343368070516.png (659KB, 570x491px) Image search: [Google]
1343368070516.png
659KB, 570x491px
>check weather online on Friday
>Sunday looks ideal, no wind or rain
>today, Saturday
>get the boat prepped and cleaned
>get all my fishing shit organized
>find out just now there's a 90% chance of rain 1-5mm for tommorow

Fuck I hate winter in straya, almost EVERY weekend it's windy as shit or pissing down rain.
>>
File: straya.png (54KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
straya.png
54KB, 429x410px
>>825426

what do you catch down there m8?

I know your guises kingfish gets much larger than ours
>>
File: Murray cod2.jpg (79KB, 703x469px) Image search: [Google]
Murray cod2.jpg
79KB, 703x469px
>>825433
I only freshwater fish, been on a mission to catch a 1 meter+ Murray Cod in the river here for years.

We also get Golden Perch (Callop in South straya) , Silver Perch, Redfin, Catfish, eels, Bony Brim, Tench etc in the river here, there's a lot more types in other river systems.
>>
File: callop Jamie1.jpg (264KB, 1029x584px) Image search: [Google]
callop Jamie1.jpg
264KB, 1029x584px
>>825433
And said Callop, friend of a friend got this monster, great eating but at this size they are too fatty.
>>
>>825435
>>825437

Cool, those things pull drag?
>>
File: IMG_8221.jpg (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8221.jpg
20KB, 320x240px
>>825433
you mean their kings get bigger than our yellowtail.
kingfish here a croakers.
>>
File: perch.jpg (160KB, 1040x722px) Image search: [Google]
perch.jpg
160KB, 1040x722px
>>825438
You bet, Murray Cod, the larger ones at least, are notorious for straightening out split rings and hooks, they fight for a bit but give up near the end and use their sheer weight to try and wreck your shit. Callop put up a hell of a fight too, and are greedy as fuck, pic related.
>>
>>825439

I know, thats what I said we're the only place in the world that calls Yellows yellows, down in Baja they're Jurel or Jurel de Castilla, In Japan the firecrackers are Hamachi and the larger ones Buri.

nice checkerboard btw looks like a Halloween colored swimbait
>>
>>825377
My dad picked up the exact same combo at a garage sale 7 years ago. It's a decent combo, still use it. Hooked a nice 3 lb bass the other day, wasn't an issue. Have gotten some rainbows with it too.

Are you in Ontario?
>>
>>825443
>Murray Cod

sounds fun, how do they bite, aggresive, or more finese?
>>
File: cod11.jpg (147KB, 1154x733px) Image search: [Google]
cod11.jpg
147KB, 1154x733px
>>825446
Only caught 2 myself, and they were only babies, 25cm and 43cm, they just felt like a Callop, with the constant TAP TAP TAP of them trying to fight the line, what sort of American native would you equate them with?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8rb7qvwvWc they eat Birds, try and eat Horses and even Humans.
>>
>>825445

yep, ottawa valley

ive got a cahill spinning rod combo, don't remember the model but it's a 8-12lb medium action 6" rod (or so it says, i'm 6'0" and the rod is a few inches taller than me, so im guessing 6'6").

it was free, a guy we bought a bike from maybe five years ago threw it in because he never used it.

im not sure if this model is produced anymore or something because i can't find any 6 foot rods online produced by crystal river, all im getting is fly fishing rods or spinning combos of around 7 to 8 feet

the rod itself is a bit beat up, a ring is bent, the reel is held on with zipties, but reeling in a 4lb bass seemed fine
>>
>>825453

I wouldn't know freshwater wise, but if a 43 cm fish is a baby, maybe a peacock bass?
>>
>>825461
I meant fighting wise, they give 3 constant Taps on the rod frequently when reeling in.
>>
>>825464

well, you mean headshakes?

like you're reeling them in and all of a ll sudden they'll pull on the rod and let go?
>>
>>825465
Pretty much
>>
>>825469

oh, well, spotted bay bass are fucking brutes for their size, a big one is 30cm and above, they like to hang out in weed beds near rock jetties.

Love to catch them at night with small 7-8cm swimbaits. Motherfuckers will try to rock you in the jetty and the big ones will put a mean bend in your rod, even though I like to use 8-15lb line which is small for saltwater
>>
>>825471
Sounds neat, you saltwater fish exclusively?
>>
File: 20160711_093214.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160711_093214.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>825473

yeah, San Diego is home to some of the best lakes for Trophy Bass fishing, a world record bass was caught in one of the many lakes but it was foul hooked so it didn't count.

Unfortunately, these lakes get a lot of pressure, plus you need a $3-10 permit I think on top of a $50 buck price for a year long state fishing license.

So Saltwater is the year long lincense only. Gives you a chances at way bigger fish, and for $145 I can go down to the islands and catch 100lbs+ worth of yellowtail that fight better and harder than equal sized Tuna.

Also tastier in my opinion.

for $45 I can hop on a half day boat and catch calicos, halibut, bonito, white Sea Bass and a chance at yellowtail on the summer months, and tasty rockfish in the winter.

If I want to do catch a release the beach is king and theres nothing quite like fighting a nice Corbina or Spotfin Croaker. Easier on the wallet too.
>>
>>825477
I really need to ocean fish more, only done it like 3 times, have no idea what fish I got and just released them.
>>
I keep getting birds nests when I try to cast a carolina rig. Any tips? My leader is probably like 18 inches.
>>
File: image.png (3MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1242x2208px
Caught this pig cranking a 10XD yesterday.
>>
>>825513
Adjust the tension of your spool and set your breaks.
>>
>>825515
I don't think you're in any position to call anyone or anything a pig, tubby.
>>
>>825515
I accidentally threw my 10XD into a tree a couple weeks ago. Much profanity was spewed.
>>
>>825543
That was unnecessary.
>>
>>825453
>vid

Really looks more like the duck was diving than anything. They dive, swim a bit, and pop up a distance away. The dive is usually explosive like that.
>>
>>825579
It's 4chan. Maybe not /b/, but still 4chan. Any perceived flaw will be amplified 10x. Just the it goes. Still, that bass IS a pig. Nice one.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 634x631px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 634x631px
>>825543
Damn son grilled and filleted
>>
Is there a setup guide to start a tackle box? I'm returning to fishing after only having done it as a kid, and need to get the essentials, but no idea what I need or where to start. A good knife and some pliers, line, and hooks, but aside from that I've got no clue. What kind of lures and spoons, how many clips and bobbers like, if I should bother with fake baits and jellies...
>>
>>825618
Whatever Pepsi tells you cut it back by 1000. He's a hoarder.....

What type of fishing?
>>
>>825618
What kind of fishing do you want to do?

Bass? Panfish? Catfish? Fly? Muskie? Pike?
>>
>>825618
Yeah, fresh water, salt water, and what types of fish are you targeting?

Aside from those specifics, most tackle boxes have:

Fingernail clippers
Needle-nosed pliers
Kelly forceps
Large needles
Fixed blade knife
Name brand multi-tool
Knot-tying guide
Ziploc bag of Ziploc bags
Sunscreen
Insect repellent
LED flashlight
Individual clear-plastic tackle boxes for dividing up your tackle (top water, plastic worms, bait hooks, etc) [rubber band them to keep them closed at all times no matter what]
Belt clip for holding most used tools/smaller tackle boxes
Fish stringer (whatever type meets your needs, metal or nylon)

A few specialty items:

Fish and frog gig heads
Fire making kit
Mess kit with fillet knife and fish scaler
Fly-tying kit
Glue kit
Trashbags
Landing net
Gloves for toothy/spiny fish
Bug net for your head
1st aid kit and pain relievers
Hook files/sharpeners
Fish scales for weighing
Tape measure
Extra phone charging batteries/solar charger
Fishing vest
Folding chair (don't skimp, get one that is comfortable)
Sun-blocking hat/cap
Solar yard lights (great for giving your bank night fishing area some light spread out)

For myself, I only take to the water the things I plan actually using. Be that having a relaxed campfire and cooking fish I catch; just wade fishing small streams for bait fish and panfish, night fishing; trolling, etc.
>>
>>825622
Shit I always tell people not to go crazy with it. I tell em not to even think about lures until they find out what they have in their fishing holes.

Hooks, split shots, bobbers, pliers, knife, and some bait.

>>825309
Wow, that's crazy. It's like a beetle spin but inline-type. Never seen those.

>>825348
They sell low-pros that aren't levelwind? And I noticed what you are talking about. If the guide thing is really far to one side, it seems like I lose a little distance.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 586x592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 586x592px
>>825368
Here's the original pic if you want to reverse image search.

>>825377
Those things work, but those plastic body reels just seem to flex a lot and it bugs me. You don't have to spend much to get a reel with an actual metal body.
>>
Well I somehow managed to snap my 50 lb braid really fucking far back on the spool last time I was out fishing saltwater

Sadly the line break isn't far enough back that I don't cast it ( when I cast the line break comes off my reel)

I'm not about to go spend $30 to respond this reel, so I think I'm going to try a modified uni uni knot to put both halves back together

I still would rather not be casting it so maybe il see how far the break is through my braid, be it 50/50 or hopefully something like 35/65 or even 30/70

If that's the case il retie it but put the longer section of braid on the outer bit so less chance of me casting the knot

Now comes the issue of trying to find a place nearby long enough to let out 300+ yardsof line
>>
>>825672
That shit happened on my one reel when giant snek wrapped the line around something underwater. It wasn't close to 50/50, but I ended up taking the line off and tying a longer backing on.

I've noticed that if you nest it really bad, it can give you a week spot pretty far back in the reel depending where the knot is. I bet that's what happened.
>>
>>825674
Spinning reel, I have no clue what the fuck happened
And it's 50 lb braid

Il replace it soon enough but I got a trip to the beach again next weekend and I need this reel and rod

I have both halves of the braid still
>>
>>825677
That sucks. Must have knicked it somehow

I wanted to go out early in the AM this morning, but my phone alarm oficially doesn't wake me up anymore. I'm not sure what is going on. I woke up late for work Thurs and Fri (which never happens) and totally slep through it today.

It's hot as balls today too. I really want to go check out a few spots down south today and see if maybe there are some peacocks or LMBs. I found this cool spot where I can access a canal that runs under I-75.
>>
>>825674
Eh it's maybe 60/40 or 65/35
Hopefully itl b long enough I won't cast it off if I reverse it
>>
>>825659
I'm new to fishing and getting the stuff at Cabela's. I'm fresh water fishing what should I have as essentials?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>825685
Idk why anon thinks you need so many damn pairs of pliers and clippers. If you have a multi-tool with pliers and a knife, that should be fine for 99% of situations.

The forceps are nice for when you guthook a fish, but most of the time you end up killing the fish anyway by the time you get the hook out so just cut the line if you can't get the hook out without doing all this damage.

Bug spray is nice, I always have that with me. Sunscreen is for basement dwellers. I'm a bronze god so the sun just makes me more bronzed.

And for actual tackle, kinda depends where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. Go slow at first so you don't buy a ton of shit you will never use. Assorted aberdeen hooks, split shots, and bobbers will get you going with nightcrawlers and minnows or whatever bait you use. If you want to try a couple lures, Rapalas and inlines like Mepps or Rooster Tails will catch any predator fish provided you get the right size. Plus they are easy lures to use.

And look at tackle bags, they are so much better than the old-school boxes.
>>
>>825693
Thanks for the advice, will do.
>>
>>825685
>>825693
So basically besides tackle, the extra shit I have is towards the bottom right. Can of bug spray, headlamp and flashlight for fishing in the dark, multitool with pliers, bigger fixed blade for killing invaisive sneks, and some wet wipes for when I need fresh hands. I have a small tapemeasure in there as well.

The rest of the stuff in anon's list makes sense for certain situations, but you probably don't need most of it for an afternoon at a local pond. If you were taking a boat out on a large lake for a good portion of the day, the gloves, first aid kit, and shit to fillet fish would be good to have.
>>
>>825516
I do adjust it. I think it was because the lure was too light. I was using a half ounce weight and baby brush hog. When I put on a senko I didn't have any issues. Either way I hated the carolina rig. I doubt I will ever tie it again.
>>
>>825709
I bet it's tumbling in the air and putting strange tension on the line. I notice that when throwing big, heavy catfish rigs on spinning reels. Probably need to change up the casting technique.
>>
>>825693
>Idk why anon thinks you need so many damn pairs of pliers and clippers. If you have a multi-tool with pliers and a knife, that should be fine for 99% of situations.

Because I've been fishing for 40 years and having just the right tool for the situation is all the difference between sitting there for 30 mins dealing with crap or sitting there for 3 minutes and fishing the other 27 minutes.

That can be anything from getting a hook out of a fish, you, your friend, your clothing, to making leaders, fixing reels, fixing rods, fixing lures, rigging lures, so on and so forth.

A multi-tool isn't the best thing you can have. The best thing is having a dedicated tool for that thing on the multi-tool you want to use. A multi-tool just makes up for what you may have forgotten and makes it a bit more problematic when using that specific tool on it. Some tools are just best to have separate from the multi-tool.

>Rapalas and inlines like Mepps or Rooster Tails

Seconding.
>>
File: why hello there.png (370KB, 623x527px) Image search: [Google]
why hello there.png
370KB, 623x527px
Anybody catfish here?

Im going with a friend tonight and i haven't caught a catfish in years

I already had some 5/0 daiichi circle hooks but im worried they are too big

He says he uses 2/0 gamakatsu octopus circles but now that i bought some im worried they are too small

I would expect the size of the fish to be 1-5 pound channels
>>
File: carolina-rig-336x208.png (34KB, 336x265px) Image search: [Google]
carolina-rig-336x208.png
34KB, 336x265px
>>825709
>Either way I hated the carolina rig. I doubt I will ever tie it again.

Anyone else put a hook right here because shit keeps striking that area instead of the worm? I do the same thing on my floats too since I get strikes on those from time to time.
>>
>>825738
I'm no use for advice on this as I for some reason have the best luck using those thin shitty cheap wire hooks with the long shank. I've caught more channel cats on those than anything else. I don't go crazy cranking in the fish or they bend or snap. lol
>>
>>825739
Why even run the leader at all then?
>>
>>825741
>removing the chance of hooking a second fish while you are bringing in the first

:O
>>
>>825729
True but a multitool with good pliers and forceps if you're going for stuff besides LMB should be enough for almost all situations. I just thought two pairs of needle nose pliers is a little much. And never needed the nail clippers as long as I have a sharp blade, but they're small so if you're OCD about tag length you might as well bring em.

For pliers, I have my Leatherman, a good medium pair of needlenose, and I had a good pair of forceps but gave them to Miami anon. If I have the multitool, I never even need to touch the needlenose pliers. The forceps were good to have and I need to grab another pair, but unless I really need to get a lure out, the fish is normally done anyway if it is gut hooked to the point where you need the forceps. They are good to have but it is easier just to cut the line in a lot of those situations. I hate throwing a fish back in with a hook in them though, I think I'm gonna go dig through my mom's kitchen and find another pair.

And the rest of that original list is good shit to have but a lot of it could probably be left in the car if you are going to be nearby. I used to carry the first aid kit and all that stuff in my tackle bag but now I leave it in my trunk since I'm normally within a 10min walk from it. I guess it is more trial and error depending where you fish and what you are catching. I already have so much bullshit with me, I'm not trying to bring 5 pairs of pliers. I do need to get down on a good scale one day, I have an old one but I don't trust it.
>>
>>825738
What about treble hooks?

Either way, catfish have a tough lip so you can get away with smaller hooks. Even if you only get a little corner of their lip, you should land them. It's not like largemouth with the real thin skin around most of their mouth.
>>
File: mudcatrd16.jpg (133KB, 953x669px) Image search: [Google]
mudcatrd16.jpg
133KB, 953x669px
>>825738
Catfish are probably my favorite freshwater fish to catch, though around here it's pretty damn hard to catch any of good size. I caught this one on a curly tail grub jig while fishing for bass.
>>
>>825751
>two pairs of needle nose pliers

Only 1 is listed. Kelly forceps lock in place and are much thinner and longer, usually 14" long. The needle nose pliers are workhorses for all sorts of jobs. Forceps are good for that extra hand when tying knots, holding the extra hooks on a lure out of the way, or doing on the spot fly tying.

Nail clippers are for knot trimming and go well on a lanyard.

>And the rest of that original list is good shit to have but a lot of it could probably be left in the car if you are going to be nearby.

That is essentially what the last sentence in that post states. Like when I'm wade fishing, I have a tiny, double-sided, 6"x2"x4", plastic tackle box that dangles around my neck, and 1 pole. Sometimes I have a small net too. Everything I need is in the tiny tackle box. I may travel 15-20 miles in a day with just that up streams and rivers. I haven't done that in a while though.
>>
>>825758
Damn, I could never make that trek with the shit I carry normally. I still need to get that little Gander Mtn bag. My one lake, I have to park and walk maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile with my shit and I'm exhausted. I can't wait for winter when it is 75F every day and 60F at night.
>>
File: DSCN3523c.jpg (221KB, 966x661px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3523c.jpg
221KB, 966x661px
>>825762
Well, that is why, for long trips, I only carry a small box. I don't even think they weight a pound.

Yeah, it is usually 90-95F and 80%-90% humidity here. Which is why I wade fish. I just have shoes and shorts and maybe a cap. The stringer get attached to a belt loop. I never leave the water further than belly button deep.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>825738
I caught this off a 5/0 Team Catfish circle hook and I thought the hook size was too small so I think you're alright there, but then again I aim for Blues, not Channels
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>825765
I have that one small box with 6 compatments that I can jam in my back pocket. I like bringing multiple rods and my whole bag (plus the bag of soft plastics) just because it settles my autism. I'm normally close to my car anyway, so I just set my stuff on the shoreline and walk around with a rod or two rigged up with whatever I'm using.

I also recently grabbed this 3600 box and it sits on top of the 5x3700 boxes in my bag. I loaded it with a handful of stuff I use a lot, so I can get away with carrying just that around. Or when it is in the bag, I can just pull stuff from there instead of digging through the other boxes.
>>
new guy here, headed out to my local shop then cabelas. Hopefully will get everything I need to start
>>
>>825002
Would I rather eat other fish? Yes
Have I ate whities? Yes
>>
>>825775
You grabbing a rod, reel, and everything?

You the anon who was asking about steelhead?

>tfw this is why namefagging helps
Keep us updated.
>>
So I'm interested in making my own lures but to the extent where I don't need a wood shop and plastics to mold.

My first idea is to get that holographic ribbon and wrap it on a popsicle stick or something similar.

Googly eyes help I heard.

Then I want some kind of thread,like paracord, but I need something that doesn't get wet.

What else is important for a bass lure?
>>
>>825781
Yup steelhead anon, rod and reel for sure and probably some basic tackle
>>
File: P_20160730_140545_1_p.jpg (1MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160730_140545_1_p.jpg
1MB, 2304x4096px
>>825696
Did I do good? I got the big fishing poles when they were more than half off.
1/2
>>
File: P_20160730_142159_1.jpg (1MB, 2304x3161px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160730_142159_1.jpg
1MB, 2304x3161px
>>825787
They had a big sale.
2/2
>>
>>825783
If you want to add spinners to anything, that shit is pretty easy to find. My local Bass Pro has a section with everything you need to build spinnerbaits if you are thinking about that rod.

And post pics when you make em, that stuff is always funny.

>>825784
Have fun. I wish I knew more about steelhead. Ask about other species in the area that people go for a lot, because you may want to target them when the steelhead aren't biting.
>>
>>825787
>dock demon
Kek. You went all out. Have fun.

You should think about replacing the line that came on those reels. I mean you can get away with using it for now, but if you buy some fresh Trilene or whatever good mono, you will notice a huge difference. Less loops and stuff in the line.
>>
>>825789
Salmon is big here too but I'm fine with spending a day at the river and not catching anything.
>>
>>825787
And it's actually cool that you got that second setup. Put some fresh 6lb line on that medium setup, and then some 12lb on the catfish one. The medium with 6lb will be good for crappie, bass, big bluegill, and anything else you have in that range. Then the catfish combo will be good for cats, carp, or even bigger bass sitting in heavy weeds or if you want to throw heavy jigs. That little dock combo is funny, but with some 4lb mono you could fuck around with little bluegill and then hook them up on the catfish combo as bait.

Tie up some hooks and get out there today.
>>
How long do you stay at one spot? Do you walk up, do the fan method and then leave? Or do you stay there most of the day or what?
>>
>>825788
Those yellow things are just practice casting weights or plugs or whatever the fuck you call them if you didn't know. So you don't even have to bring those to the lake with you.

The two shad crankbaits (the yellow/black and the yellow/white) are going to dive, so be careful not to snag them up the first time you use them. That longer firetiger one (green, yellow, and orange) will be a shallow diver and you should play around with that if there are bass in the area. Just give it a steady retrieve with little twitches. And that little Mepps comet in the top right will def get some panfish. Same thing, steady retrieve with little twitches.

Too bad those Shakespeare kits never come with bullet weights or worm hooks since they always come with curly tail worms. But they nornally have jigheads you can use.

As much as I talk shit on those little kits, they actually aren't bad. The few lures they give you are normally good for a lot of different conditions.

>>825803
Depends if I know the spot produces. But normally I will give a spot 3 or 4 casts, then move down a few feet. If there are hungry fish in an area, seems like they will hit the first time you cast by them. But I will also hit the same spots as I'm walking back like 30min later.
>>
Okay guys, so I'm kind of eating my words. Zebcofag here and I think I might have found a fondness for spinners.

I dusted off the old Mitchell that's mounted on an Ugly Stik and knotted up a 2/0 hook with a watermelon stick worm and hit the lake.

I haven't caught nothing yet, but it's smoother and casts father than my Zebco ever could. And I feel everything. Every bump, every log, every time it hits the bottom.

So where do I go from here? Do I buy a good spinner and rod, or move on to baitcasting?
>>
Is it pointless to fish crankbaits from shore? I usually only fish trees, grass, things I can see. I feel like tossing a crankbait into some random open water would be a waste of time.
>>
>>825812
Kek. About time.

Spinners still have their place, I would get a halfway decent spinning combo before the baitcaster. I don't like using the memecasters on anything less than 1/4oz so if I want to toss some 1/6oz or 1/8oz Mepps, Rapalas, or even Texas rigs, I will have it on the spinning combo.
>>
>>825815
I get a lot of hits along dropoffs even when they are some distance from weeds or any cover and can definitely fish crankbaits from there. Cranks work when fishing along the side of cover too, looks like a fish that got lost from the cover or school and presents and easy target. I don't see why you wouldn't want to fish them from shore.
>>
>>825739
I was messing around with some blue gills today and they kept going for the swivel. I was like wtf. I put a chartreuse worm on to see what they would do and they bit the worm then.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>825822
Chartruese tail stuff gets me like that all the time. Bluegill can't resist that bright tail.

I heard a theory before that sometimes the gold swivels and stuff on a crank or other lure can look like another fish with a tiny baitfish in its mouth and the bluegill will try and hit the lure thinking that it will drop the tiny fish (gold swivel) and get an easy meal.
>>
>>825794
Will do . I did it so I could feel the fight of the tiny fishies.
>>825797
That's a pretty good Idea I will get the stuff to do that.
>>825809
Thanks for the tips.
>>
>>825773
lol Sometimes I just go with a cane pole, 15 feet of 15lbs line, 3 bare hooks, nylon stringer, and nothing else.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 464x470px
>>825830
I'm guessing the line weights I said are close to what will come on those reels anyway. But find out which one you use the most, and go buy a spool of Trilene for $6 and respool it. You will notice the difference. The line thay comes on those reels isn't the best, and sitting on a shelf spooled up on the reel kinda fucks with it. Line is the last thing you want to cheap out on.

You have been practicing your Palomar knots, right?
>>
>>825835
I'm gonna practice them now.
>>
>>825825
Good theory. I see that happening all the time both with spinners and when a sunfish has something big in its mouth. The try to grab the food in the other fish's mouth and try to nab the spinner instead of the bait behind it.

Sunfish also tend to trail stuff, close the distance really slowly, and nibble at the very back of a lure. Which is why I always put a small treble hook hidden in the fluff of the tail. In always increases successful strikes by a large %.

>>825822
>>825825
The best lure I've ever used for bass in 1 area of a stream was a regular black worm with a white tail. I've never caught so many bass in one place in my entire life in such a short amount of time. It was crazy, like how crazy it can get when you are only fishing for sunfish and you get one with every cast.

>then my brother tells me he and a friend stocked the stream with lunker bass for they caught elsewhere for the past 3 years.
>>
>>825843
It's not that I don't have luck with the bright tails, it's that I get lots of bites where they just grab the tail (whether bass, cichlids, or bluegill) and it can get annoying.

And that stream reminded me of this one little lake in a condo complex in IL. It was all old people that lived there and borderline impossible to fish without getting the cops called. But throw on a Mepps #3 and every fucking cast was a 2lb-3lb largemouth.

>>825841
The imgur has a handful of knots on there, but the Palomar is one of the strongest and easiest so I use it on everything. I like uni-uni for tying line to line like when using a leader, but there are a couple others for that too.

Remembet to get the line and knot lubricated when cinching it down. I just lick the thing like most people.
>>
>>824611
Yes but the filet is really small on them.
>>
>>825659
great post, I would change
>LED flashlight
to
>LED headlamp
>>
>>825850
There's a small gated community here with a small "lake" that is like that. I got invited to a friend's family reunion they had there and we were allowed to fish. I was making poppers at the time and gave out handfuls of them and we were all slaying bass so big we had to check to see if any of them were state record or not, some were very close. Amazing day, but it was catch and release only.
>>
>>825853
I stopped using headlamps because I've had 4 of them stolen so far. All by different people that were sorta close at the time. Seems no one ever uses them around here so they are strange, unusual, and highly coveted. Fucking rednecks.
>>
File: IMG_1014.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1014.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>825812
>old Mitchell
Now you're talking. [pic related] was my Dad's and possibly the 1st reel I used although I remember him being pretty possessive of it.
>>
>>825857
Damn that sucks

>>825853
This is true. It took me so long to finally buy a headlamp, and that was the best $30 spent. So much easier than trying to hold the flashlight in your mouth while tying knots.

Lanterns are ok in certain conditions, but I'm normally not a fan. They flood the whole area with light so it makes your vision shitty when trying to look at anything outside the immediate lit up area, yet it is often too undirect for tying knots and close up stuff.
>>
>>825857
>stopped using headlamps
I could understand never using but stopping after being hands free baffles me
>HOW?!?!?!?!
>>
Another thing I recently learned about headlamps. THey are easier on your eyes if you wear it around your neck as the light doesn't have to pass your eyes to get to subject.

>try it
>>
Gonna brave this heat and try these new spots I have been scoping out. Of course I have long sleeves, jeans, and boots on because fuck bugs. This will he fun.

>>825866
I believe it. I try and wear mine further up on my forehead since I seem to get a bit of reflection from it when I wear it right above my eyes. That messes with your vision when it is dark everywhere else.

But when I'm fishing in the dark, a lot of times I leave the headlamp off unless I'm tying a knot or unhooking a fish. It is easier to see if you let them adjust to the dark.
>>
>>825864
I never really use flashlights that much when night fishing. When I do, a penlight held in my mouth is all I need. I use them more when walking to and from fishing spots than anything else.
>>
>>825874
Another trick from my darkroom days.

Close your eyes before you turn off & on the light. They will adjust immediately to the new light level, or lack of light.
>>
last light tip, red only travels about 10 ft so it wont piss off other anglers.
They'll be able to see it if it is pointed directly at them but won't interfere with nighttime vision.
>>
>>825788
>>825787
you done good. real good
>>
Got $10 for Dick's that's about to expire. Time to go see what deals they have and waste $50 on shit I don't need. I should go directly to the lake instead but damn this heat.

Sucks that those points expire though. It would be nice to let them stack up for a bit until you have like $100 and drop it on a rod.
>>
>>825862
I have a 410 on one of my rods I still use
Was my grandfather's as was the rod some old st Croix
Wonderful combo, though the 410's clicker annoys me
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>825911
>tfw $18
It's hard to not buy some of these hardbaits when Dick's has the sales
>>
>>825932
>clicker
Warm fuzzy for me and you can turn it off.
>>
>>825906
Thanks.
>>
>>825932
>>825862
I'm still pissed I didn't hang on to the couple old setups I used to have from my dad. There were a couple of St Croix rods with Abu spinning reels.
>>
>>825937
It's cool you got multiple rods and shit too because you can figure out what you use the most and what you like with each rod so if you stick with it and want to drop some money on an expensive setup, you will know what to look for. And you got a few hard baits and soft baits you can practice with and see what fish in your area like before dropping a ton on stuff like that which you may never use.

Why aren't you out fishing?
>>
>>825935
You can turn it off , but it also turns off the anti reverse on the 410
So I end to cast and fish with it off, but click it on when I need to use only one hand

>>825938
The old white/clear ones with real wooden handles?
That's hat I have and it's actually a very nice rod
>>
>>825948
>turns off the anti reverse
That's right, it does... Forgot about that.
>>
>>825934
Do you know about Mepps Grab Bag Specials?
$11 for 4-6 lures.
>>
>>825952
I normally do turn it off,
I need to put some new line on it thinking 30 lb braid
>>
>>825945
I got to get a fishing licence first and Its hot as hell here should have thought it more through but at least I got a great setup when I go fishing soon.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
This little lake actually has feesh! I was hoping for some peacocks though. I wonder if any big LMB will bite in anothet hour if I hang out here.

>>825953
From the website? Somebody mentioned them but I have never bought them. I have gotten some of their kits in stores before and they give you a nice assortment of 5 or 6 lures but they aren't much cheaper than buying what you want individually.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>825974
Psh, if it's hot you just need to get out early in the AM or right around sunset. I'm out right now.
>>
>>825815
>I usually only fish trees, grass, things I can see

Those are the best places to fish cranks (square bills). The bill will usually keep the lure from getting snagged.
>>
>>825976
Gonna see if I can do it.
>>
>>825975
>From the website
yep
mepps.com/available-products/grab-bag-specials/641
>>
>NEW
>>825989

>>825984
Go for it.
Like an hour before sunset to an hour after is the best for bass.
>>
>>825862
Damn, son.

Mine isn't THAT old. It's from the early 2000's.
>>
>>825738
Yes sir, in the mouth of the Mississippi you'll find true big catfish. that 5/0 should be good. I usually use shrimp or plastic french fries. and let the bait hang low. you'll catch flounder too if you do it. hard head CF sting...beware/
>>
File: 4370xx3667.jpg (62KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
4370xx3667.jpg
62KB, 720x720px
>>825666
nice trips bro.
the reel in the pic doesnt have one. it just has a hole. theres a few $$ low pro reels that you can opt to remove the lw for flip and pitch to increase casting distance along with some reels (better end) that have a centering switch so every cast the lw centers itself which supposedly reduces the line drag.

gee i wonder why they do that? duh... a little obvious right?

>>825671
such a cute little peanut dodo she caught..
the girl is meh..
>>
File: glitchr_1470018004000.jpg (432KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
glitchr_1470018004000.jpg
432KB, 1440x2560px
So Walmart people are shutters. They wouldn't exchange my reels because they didn't have the small ugly stik in the store. Still went fishing with my friend's gear.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.