[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 75

File: image.jpg (120KB, 620x628px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 620x628px
#70-"Hot As Balls Errywhere" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>818006

Anybody know of the good ol' Murrican Zebcos anon should buy? Figured I would post it here sice he came in right at the end of the old thread >>821117

Pastebin and Imgur. Any suggestions?
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
>>821197
Fucked that up while trying to pay for my McD's

>>821177
I think that's the right one. Anybody reccommend some good classic Zebcos?
>>
Hello
>>
>>821197
I fish all the time but I'm thinking I need to get a big titty chick to go with me next time, to pose with my fish.
>>
>>821205
>aim 20ft to the left
So now instead of casting straight out from the shore, I'm casting to the left and going more directly into the wind, and I end up with a cast that is much closer to shore in more shallow water?

I wish I could into MSPaint or even take you fishing so you could learn how wind works. Or you could just try and go fishing yourself one of these days.
>>
File: PBFresh.jpg (154KB, 695x521px) Image search: [Google]
PBFresh.jpg
154KB, 695x521px
Hoping to do some fishing this week. Been too long since I've caught a good size fish.
>>
File: gulp!alive_spray_bottles.jpg (23KB, 389x244px) Image search: [Google]
gulp!alive_spray_bottles.jpg
23KB, 389x244px
Do scents actually work or is it just a meme? I'm using gulp spray and it seems like it completely disperses after the first cast.
>>
>>821225
I'm a fain of the actual baits. Not sure about those sprays though. The only reason the Gulp plastics actually hold the scent for a few casts is because they are almost like a sponge. If you leave them out, they shrink and dry out.

With those sprays, I'm not sure how they stay on lures and baits for more than a couple seconds without getting washed off.

I'm not sure how much certain fish find their food by smell either. Some fish rely heavily on eyesight, some use their lateral lines and go after vibrations, and some go for smells.
>>
>>821225

i tried this shit a decade or so ago.

mixed results.

i'm not a scientist but if a plastic lure could soak up this shit then i could see it doing something, though that would seemingly require some porous plastics. imagine nanotech drilled worms that are soaked in stench, but i doubt you're gonna get that for 4 bucks per ten worms at bass pro.

for my fishing all i know is easy to see colors and motion make the bass bite.

i hear my neighbor catches fuck ton of bass on a regular small tail zoom fluke that's natty brown color and i can't get shit to hit it. throw in something white or bright and moving around and i'm snagging two or three fish per hour.
>>
>>821218
wind blowing left, aim right and land in the center.
wind blowing right, aim left and land in the center.

You're retarded, it's just like shooting a rifle in the wind.
>>
>>821252
You should read the original post
>>
>>821268
You should actually try doing what I said, because it works and is how you cast with a crosswind.

Perhaps you should stop being such a pretentious cunt, although based on your 4chan persona that will never happen.

Get some friends.
>>
>>821282
You should still read the post this started with, because it was never about casting. Jesus people are stupid.
>>
>>821292
It was about you bitching about not being able to cast in the wind.

Watch some tutorial videos.
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 630x630px
>>821293
There must be some good Youtube tutorials on reading, check those out.

Not sure if this will make any sense with your reading level, but it was about how setting the hook and feeling bites on Texas rigs is difficult with a strong cross wind.

Pic related is a Texas rig. They are often fished very slowly along the bottom. Figured I should put that out there as long as I'm explaining this all to you.
>>
I am going fishing in North Carolina for about a week. Plan to fish off the shore during my vacation while everyone swims and shit. I have only ever done river/stream fishing - mainly trout. I don't have any gear for this. Could someone recommend me a decent setup? for <$200
>>
>>821299
PENN

They have a bunch of setups between $100-$200 in all different sizes that everybody seems to love. That's my plan if I ever start doing saltwater more. You could probably get away with it as a catfish rod when you get back home anyway.
>>
>>821299

buy a rod and reel that isn't shit.

i'm quite sure you can do that for 200 bucks.

my most expensive rod/reel combos are like 100 and 130 dollars combined between buying both rod and reel.

i literally spent two hours today in Dicks czeching out every single thing they offered. there are some combos that are worth their weight but only barely worth the price, and i mean barely. you're better off getting the rod you want and then a good reel.

i spent all those two hours finding just the right rod i wanted, a 1 piece spinning rod for the right bang/buck. ended up with a 60 dollar rod to fit a reel i already bought. i won't say what it was right now, but i can say it was right on up there with the 200 dollar rods. you can get a junk 40 dollar rod or a good 40 dollar rod as well. all depends on how well you shop.

i must say it was hard to turn down the 100 dollar abu garcia rod i really wanted though.
>>
>>821317
Were you trying to get a Veritas? What did you end up with for $60?
>>
Finally got some decent bass today, they weren't behemoths by any stretch but definitely very nice fish

Also might've accidentally crushed a sunfish while trying to unhook him :( but he didn't float when I put him back in the water

Felt like ages of nothing but 1# and less fish until today
It had gotten pretty frustrating, being able to count on half a dozen fish in an hour but having them all be small
>>
>>821218
Stop being a retard by replying to a troll who doesn't know anything. I asked the original wind question with the photo of the chick and as soon as you answered I knew what it was like out there. He, has no experience obviously and chooses to troll.
>>
>>821319

yeah i almost went with the veritas 2.0 7' medium heavy, decided on the hurricane calico jack 7' medium heavy instead. there was 40+ positive reviews on dick's website so i figured i'd give it a shot.

the only thing the abu has going for it is the split grip sections and being just a hair lighter. not worth the extra $40. if it was a $75-80 dollar rod i could justify it, it's a little hard to swallow for $100.
>>
>>821299
Penn Pursuit - cheapest, decent, under 100, 9-10' IIRC
Penn Battle II - 125ish - very good, 8-8 1/2'
Penn Fierce, Can't speak from experience but I've heard very good things. 9-10' rods I believe
Penn Spinfisher - great reel, don't know combo sizes as I bought mine and paired it with a very good rod.

For true surf casting you want 10' + rod. 9 is OK but can't quite the whip you want to really chuck your lure/bait. A lot of people around here use up to 13+
>>
>>821300
>if I ever start doing saltwater more
You need to get salty
I'm sure you've got a MH with a 3500 or so reel. Just do it and hose it off after. I was using a 6'L with a 1000 shimano last week because all I was getting was under 10" porgies/scup and I was fishing to play.

Get a couple hi-lo hook setups with #2 and #4 hooks and some frozen squid or go to bait store and get whatever they recommend.
1/2, 3/4, 1, 2 oz weights
Go chuck it off the pier and wait and talk to a few people that fish there all the time.
You'll learn what they are targetting, what they are using for terminal tacle and bait and the best times to try in less than 2 hours.

You might even catch something.
>>
>>821297
Keep your rod tip close to the water and use a sinking line.

Jesus, no wonder you never went any higher than a pepsi vender.
>>
>>821392
hello pepsi
>>
>>821487
>vender
Topkek

Rod tip down does help a little, but running braid definitely isn't the best. I have thought about going with some 12lb or 14lb flouro on one of the memecasters but I love muh braid so much. The rod tip down just feels unnatural to me, I need to get used to it a little more. Whenever I'm running stuff like that along the bottom, the rod is normally going from like 60* to 80*.

>>821488
Nope.
>>
>>821425
I've fuxed with the squid from the pier. Two problems- I hate fishing in crowded spots and I get bored waiting for bait to soak.

If I go to the pier, I will probably do it at like 4am on a weekend when it won't be so crowded. There's too many goddamn families with little kids running around and tourists. The inlet is much more appealing to me.
>>
File: belmont_285.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
belmont_285.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>821502
dont know your laws where youre at but in cali you can use 2 rods from a public pier. soak bait on one rig and toss lures with the other while you wait for the bait rig to get bit.
>>
File: båt.jpg (212KB, 1080x709px) Image search: [Google]
båt.jpg
212KB, 1080x709px
anyone here using boats to fish?
was out earlier but there was too much wind so i drifted too fast for the hook to hit the bottom.
>>
>>821532
If Morgan Freeman was at my local pier, I would probably go there
>>
>>821542
Ya never know. I played golf with Christopher Walken on a public course once.
>>
>>821590
There's a lot of athletes (and retired ones) with houses near me. There is this one fishing boat I always pass right by one of the mansions with some baseball name like "Stolen First" or "Home Run" and it has to be owned by an MLB player. Gotta go fishing on that boat.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3024x2146px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3024x2146px
Absolutely beautiful day on Lake Ontario. Caught 13 smallies and about 1000 gobies. Got a nice tan too
>>
>>821421
Supposedly the fierce rods are sub par
Though the reels are good, I have a 5k on my 8 ft tsunami
>>
>>821633
nice
>>
>>821633
Wut are the gobies? All I know about them is the saltwater ones, but I'm assuming this is some strange Canadian freshwater goby
>>
>>821641
yeah, I don't "LOVE" my pursuit or my battle rod but they are .... ok.
Battle better then pursuit fer shure.
I actually really love my wife's Star combo feel, eight, and rod. ESX6 8'
For the price we paid that is the best value of all my stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 1024x768px
>>821689
These little things. I did not intend to catch any but they are so fucking quick to grab my drop shot I couldn't help but catch them. They are an invasive species
>>
File: 1448_lw.jpg (69KB, 385x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1448_lw.jpg
69KB, 385x1000px
>>821535

small boating is tons of fun, if you live on the water you have to have one. for what people spend on kayaks you could get a real jon boat that can actually hold shit. i can put 5 people in mine no problem. fishing on top of each other, well, that's another story.

http://www.g3boats.com/2016-riveted-and-welded-jon-boats

i've got the 14 foot 48 inch wide model.
>>
>>821756
I look at those Tracked john boats whenever I'm walking into Bass Pro (they have them right in the middle of the goddamn walkway) and it seems like they still want so much for them. By the time you get a decent engine on one, you might as well just spring for a real bass boat.

Either way it seems like the used market is the way to go for that stuff. Lots of pissed wives who want to park their SUV in the garage instead of this boat that never gets used. Would be cool to get on something in the future.
>>
>>821769
I've never met someone who bought a new John boat ever. I got my 15 foot v haul John boat for $300 and it came with a 9 1/2 bourse evinrude. You can find them on Craigslist for under $500 all day. Only tricky part is getting a trailer
>>
>>821769

my local marine shop sells 14 foot 36 inch alumacraft jon boats for $799 all day long, add a little more for a wider boat. 55 lb trolling motor is about 250, good deep cycle battery about 100. for 1200 bucks you've got a setup that will last a long time. add another battery and you're doubling your time on the water.

a 'real bass boat' will cost you 10-20 grand easily.

link related might be what you're referring to, one of those 10 grand package deals that's ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

http://savannah.trackerboatcenter.com/boats/detail.cfm?boatID=5597812

if i'm paying over 10 grand for a boat it's not gonna look like a jon boat, it's gonna look like some vice city shit.
>>
>>821772

now that's just dirt cheap if you got a working sub 10 hp motor. all the CL specials i see are still 80% of new prices for old as hell motors. all i need is a 9.9 but considering what they cost i might as well get something more powerful.

still need to pay off the motorcycle before i start thinking about boat motors......unless i get lucky like you did!
>>
File: image.jpg (174KB, 720x707px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174KB, 720x707px
Spent 45 minutes today trying to land a massive stingray at the beach. That fucker worked against a 9ft pole and heavy drag the whole time when it wasn't on the bottom. It almost spooled me at the very end and finally got off the bottom so I could reel it in

>hfw it tailwhipped me 30 seconds later and snapped my line

Kill me now. How do I get over that disappointment.
>>
>>821800
I know that feel
>fight a kingfish for 20 minutes
>he breaks me off right as someone is bringing a net
>>
>>821805
There was a crowd of kids and parents around watching. I felt like I let those little tykes down after they watched that thing rip out line for so long.

And I had changed my line out from 60lb braid to 20lb mono that morning...
>>
>>821800
What reel where you using? You need a conventional for shit like that.
>>
>>821795
ive lugged that little evinrude in the back of my truck everywhere and its never quit on me. 5-8 pulls at the start of the season to the get the gas flowing and it runs like a dream on 1-2 pulls after that.
>>
hello /out/

i like to fish but I'm not very experienced. I'm looking into an angler kayak from cabelas for some river/lake fishing. Is this something for more experienced people or will I get good after a few trips. Also can ya post some kayak setups if you use it
>>
>>821800
well, atleast you didn't go down to the pier and toss out only to have the bail arm snap back and the hook fly away as the line snapped.
wonder what people thought when they saw some guy basically toss a perfectly fine hook the fuck out in the water and go home.
>>
>>821845
aren't kayaks made so you can just turn upside down and harpoon the fish?
>>
>>821848
no bully pls
>>
>>821845
https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Tamarack-Sit---Top-Kayak/dp/B00843UMIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469411725&sr=8-1&keywords=tamarack+angler+kayak

This is the kayak I own.
$361 is an extremely low price because it's usually 5-700 and only goes on sale for 450-600. It's sturdy, the mounts on it are very strong (handles wont rip off) and its sturdy as fuck. When I first got it I felt a little wobbly but it was just me being scared, now i can stand on one foot on the very edge and jump up and down and it doens't feel anywhere close to flipping.

I've recommended this boat to a few other people and the ones who've bought it have been pretty satisfied. I wouldn't suggest learning the basics of fishing from a kayak as you'll probably get frustrated and it's just easier to tie lures and shit from shore.

But yeah, get a kayak. It's a very worth while investment for fun.
>>
>>821854
I want the kayak because I can use it for floating with my family too not just fishing. I'll do some more research, thanks.
>>
>>821815
I was using a Shakespeare loaded with 250 yards of 20lb mono. It would be fine for 90% of the stuff I catch out there but I didn't expect to hook into the biggest stingray on the island
>>
>>821800
>>821805
Lower your drag the closer they get to you and give yourself some running back and forth room. Have springy arms; elbows out.

The shorter they are the less line there is and less springy/stretchy the line will be so it snaps much easier.
>>
File: baby you can catch my gar.jpg (78KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
baby you can catch my gar.jpg
78KB, 600x399px
Any of you guys ever been gar fishing? I've lived in Louisiana for a year and a half and I feel like it's time to go after one of these fellas.

I'm not really sure to fish for them. I have many spinners crankbaits that I used for fishing pike and walleye when I lived in North Dakota. Gar seem like predators with similar feeding habits, so maybe those will work?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>821888
We get spotted gar or Florida gar in the lakes all over here. They will hit cranks and all sorts of shit but can be tricky to hook. They like jerkbaits and poppers, stuff that looks like it's really injured and could be an easy meal. Also live bait like shiners and I have gotten them to hit shallow nightcrawlers before.
>>
>>821894

i had one like that today fuck with me for 10 minutes in the creek, he'd bite my fluke and just hold it in his mouth. was like 4 pm and i could see him in the water. he never would take it in, just kept fucking with it.

i could have just dip netted him up but there's no fun in that.
>>
anyone got some tips n tricks for fishing thick, murky weeds? im in ontario (ottawa region) if it matters

been sitting at this dock filled with weeds from both sides and now more have sprung up in the center, making it impossible to fish non-weedless stuff. ive just been sitting there watching dozens of anglers come and go, getting nothing but weeds and complaining about the area or how there isn't any fish.

but that's bullshit, because i've landed a smallmouth and a largemouth fishing outside of the weeds, and can see muskie jumping out of the water occasionally. lots of annoying ass little kids catch dozens of panfish too, and ive seen crawfish crawl around on the dock and lots smaller fish in schools moving around, lots of dragonflies, just general healthy water signs.

i've been having issues with using a texas rig, it seems to catch weeds (but not get stuck, like, if weeds get caught i can just tug hard and my soft crawfish lure will just free itself)

if i went weightless with the rig, would i have any resistance at all? i was thinking about picking up some real fucking flamboyant soft crawfish in the largest size i could find for some added weight while casting and picking up maybe 4/0 or 5/0 hooks. right now im using these tiny powerbait scented crawfish on 2/0 hooks, no luck.

im not sure exactly how you use a carolina rig either - it basically turns my rod into a weed harvesting machine, even outside of the beds. i thought maybe my weight was too big and dragging it to the bottom but i was told its supposed to go to the bottom and you gotta drag it around with your rod?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>821913
Yeah jerkbaits with multiple treble hooks are probably the best bet. I had one attacking the shit out of a spinnerbait a couple weeks ago and there was just no way I would ever hook the thing. Same with a hollow body frog a little before that.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>821922
Hollow body frog?

You could also do a weightless lizard or frog like a Zoom Horny Toad, weedless rig it and go along the top. Regular spinnerbaits (not inlines) don't catch weeds too bad but don't work so well going directly through them. They are ok for fishing on the edge and hitting the occasional patch without snagging everything. Fishing directly through thick weed beds is so annoying. I always just try and go right on the outside unless I'm using topwater. There may be another way to go about it with some success but I haven't figured it out.
>>
File: doot.png (3MB, 1780x1080px) Image search: [Google]
doot.png
3MB, 1780x1080px
>>821926

>Hollow body frog?

top water shit sounds neat, how well does it fare with deep weed beds though? i found a hula popper in a bush and ended up giving it to this friendly black guy who gave me a shitload of beginner fishing info a few months ago, he tied my line up with a jighead/grub and said to reel in three times, stop, tilt the rod up three times, repeat. caught my first fish in years (pic) by doing that for an hour. i dont own any hard lures though, so i guess ill go look for some frogs at a tackle shop (this fucking guy makes his own soft plastic worms and sells a baggie of five for $1.50 or three bags for $5, they've worked wonderfully)

the water around the dock is real fucking deep, let my line sink to the bottom and it took quite a while, as i reeled up a lot of smaller fish started chasing it from the depths and disappeared quickly. there's two general weed beds to the left and right of the dock, left bed is deep as fuck and isn't even visible some days, right bed is a bit more shallower and the bass ive caught there came from towards the right. im sure topwater stuff would work well there, if not, the opposite side of the river has a broken bridge i can climb down and fish from, very shallow but filled with weeds. most of the boat anglers tend to sit over there.

the real problem in this spot is that its next to a marina; i dont care about quiet slow moving fishing boats, but today some cunt docked literally four meters in front of me and sat there trying to get a lifejacket on his walrus tier son, pretty much restricting everyone from casting for a solid 10 minutes. or these fuckers who fly by in their large vessels and soak half the dock. almost lost my tacklebox because i underestimated the waves.
>>
> tfw fishing for halibut on the surf but snag at corbina on the side instead with a minnow crankbait

Not sure if the corbina was curious or going for reaction strike or it was minding its own business and got really unlucky. They are usually really picky and don't go for lures.

I see a good 2 corbina around feeding in the surf so I'm tempted to target them. However, they usually only go for sandcrab, which is a pain to dig up. There are a lot of sandcrabs marking along the beach, but they are all tiny rice size sand crab and it's hard to find where the big ones are. I wonder if I can get one to bite a 3 inch grub though. They are sand crab size and might interest the corbina.
>>
File: Gee_minnow_trap.jpg (88KB, 800x380px) Image search: [Google]
Gee_minnow_trap.jpg
88KB, 800x380px
>>822001

here is all you'll ever need for sandcrabs, finding them can be turned into an artform though, my uncle can tell if a patch of sand is good just by stepping near it.

Use one of this, and close the center hole with some wire or even paper clips
>>
>>822001
also grubs a shit once you learn to use sand crabs.

use a 2/0 hook if wanting to avoid the tiny perch, if you want to catch dinks though go as low as a #2 hook.

Fill the hook with sand crabs, if they are small you might find yourself putting as many as 5 in a hook, if they are medium 3, and big 1. Use a carolina rig and adjust sinker weight for current, I start with a 1 1/2 weight. I like to use 15-25lb, 12-18 inch flouro leader and 30# braid main line, helps alot if there is a lot of kelp in the surf.

have fun, corbinas are the queen of the surf down here in So Cal and a pain in the ass to catch
>>
>>822005
What size rod and reel do you use?

I have a 9' Ugly Stik with a Shakespeare sigma 060 spinning reel and I've never fished the surf before but I have an opportunity coming up next month

East Coast here and supposedly August is the big month for Spanish mackerel from the surf
>>
>>822005
There aren't many perch in my area this year. I've caught plenty of halibut, croaker, even a white sea bass and a corbina but 0 perch so far.

For corbina, it's better to use really light weight/line with carolina and just cast right next to the shore if you see the corbina near there and let the wave wash the bait in and out.

I can tell where the sandcrabs are, but I can't tell where the big ones are. Even on my beach where there are a lot of pepples and shell pieces, I can find the sand crab bed. It makes a distinct V shape in the sand where the wave wash out. However 95% of them seem to be crabs that are too small and fragile to use.

I might make more effort of catching sandcrab today in the morning though since it looks like no halibut came in to my spot from the last grunion run. I might spend 1-2 hrs looking for halibut then switch to corbina fishing if I don't get any.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 600x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 600x332px
>>821997
Hollow body frogs are the best lure I've used when you absolutely have to get in the weeds. They just skim over the top of everything. But you want to use some tough line when doing that because when you hook a fish they are going to wrap you up in weeds.
>>
File: index.jpg (371KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
371KB, 1600x900px
>>822071

just came back from the dock, landed this largemouth right before i left. started to pour rain and i kept seeing muskie jumping, i really need to get some tough ass braid, steel leaders, and some lures, but my rod is weighted for 6-12lbs, really don't want to snap it trying to chase muskie.

from playing around, looks like even weightless texas rigs are resulting in salad, definitely picking up a frog. this fucker basically flew at the craw, was in a more shallow spot, most of the vegetation was lilypads and whatnot

how do you rig the frog? just straight up tie it to the line, no weights or anything?
>>
Why are boats so expensive? Some models are just platforms that float while there are computers at the same price.
>>
>>821847
I watch people do this all day long. Even happened to me before. Its still funny as shit though.
>>
>>822103
Boats aren't expensive, engines are.
>>
File: DSCN5086a.jpg (129KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5086a.jpg
129KB, 1024x768px
>>821847
>>822106
>keeping the bail on your spinning reel

Why do people torture themselves like this?
>>
File: image.jpg (157KB, 1108x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157KB, 1108x1280px
>>821997
>laying a pike down
>in the dirt

Fuck this triggers me so much. God damnit
>>
>>821924
Pepsi you should make a few hookless nylon rope rigs. That's the easiest way to get gar. Set your drag as light as possible and let them run for a while.
>>
>>822098
Kek, chubster there.

You ever think about a baitcaster combo? Get a MH rod and run some 30lb or 40lb braid on it. You could use that for fishing bass in the thick weeds or muskie. Or just go with a larger spinning reel like 4000 size on a 7' MH rod with the same braid.

And your current reel, if you are running 8lb or 10lb mono, you could switch to 20lb braid and it would feel similar just much stronger. Those ratings on the rod are for mono line, you just probably don't want to throw really heavy lures or land fuckhueg fish on that rod. Not everybody loves it but it's worth trying.

And the hollow body frogs, just tie it on. They are supposed to float. You rarely want to run extra weights on lures unless it is soft plastic worms or anything like that.
>>
>>822156
You mentioned that before, how they just get tangled up in them. I don't specifically target gar though. I just end up getting them when I'm going for bass.
>>
>>822110
I see simple paddle boats worth hella tho.
>>
Opinions on the zebco 33? I'm thinking of picking up a cheap combo and Walmart has it on sale for $42
>>
>>822169
The lowest tier reel money can buy. If you are over the age of 13 you have no reason to be using a spin cast
>>
>>822173
What would you recommend instead?
>>
>>822178
First tell me what your budget is and what type of fishing you will be doing.
>>
>>822178
everyone should own a zebco 33 but for your first pole go find a $45-75 spinning reel combo with a medium weight rod.

You can catch 99% of the fish you'll hook with that.
>>
>>822143

fuck, how bad is it for the fish?

im not exactly the most experienced person, i was told it's not a problem to have them on the ground for like under ten seconds. that pike basically launched itself onto shore, came flying at the grub maybe a foot away from the riverbed, didn't even pull it in, was on ground for maybe five or six seconds before i picked it up

i didn't notice any problems releasing it, darted away real fast. i don't want to end up responsible for killing the fish down the line. ive been given some real shit advice growing up about fishing, these threads have helped a lot but i just never thought about putting them on the ground since ive seen a lot of photos of catches on dirt/grass
>>
>>822180
Ideally under $75 and I'd mostly be trying for bass
>>
>>822182
I'm not disagreeing with you, I had a spin cast reel as my first fishing pole but that was when I was 4. A spinning reel is the same price or often cheaper and will be almost always better depending on the situation and fish you are targeting
>>
>>822187
What're the advantages of a spinning reel?
>>
>>822186
For around and under $75 you can a spinning reel combo that will be unbelievably better then a Zebco 33. I got my Lew's tournament carbon combo from gander for $80 and that's an insane combo. Just go to any of the big outdoor stores in your area and look for a spinning reel in he 2000-3000 size. Brands to look for are Shimano, Lew's, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, Diawa try and stay away from shakespeare, Mitchell, cheap ugly stick rods, and store brand gear. Sometimes the store brand gear isn't bad but if you thoroughly go through all the combos available at all the stores near you it should be pretty clear what one will be the best deal for you. Things you want to look for that make a good reel and rod are the materials and weight. Hold each combo that you are interested in and see if you like the weight and balance. Feel the reel to see what it's made of, you want to try and choose what you think will be the best build quality. I'd recommend a medium action rod anywhere from 6'6" to 7'1" in length. Also be sure to get line, even it the reel already has line on it you will want to throw all of that away and re spool either at the store or by yourself. For bass I'd recommend suffix elite monofilament in the 6-10 pound test range. Hope this was of some help
>>
>>822189
Massive gains in casting distance, much much smoother drag and ability to have more variability within that drag system. Ability to have a much larger spool capacity for bigger fish. Smoother reel retrieve.
>>
>>822195
I like the fact you can swap out spools of line quickly and untangle any problem you may have without needing to open up anything.
>>
>>822194
Thanks man that's some good info
>>
I opened my tacklebox to find rust coloured water and stains everywhere

I left a carbon steel knife inside of my tacklebox, is it just rust or some shit off the knife?
>>
>>822158

yeah, running 10lb Berkley Trilene - not actually sure if its fluoro or mono, doesn't say it on the spool. pretty sure mono though

just came back from canadian tire, grabbed one of those koppers live target hollow body frogs

i really hope i dont accidentally snag a muskie and lose $15
>>
>>822219
The Booyah frogs are nice too for like half the price of the LiveTarget. I have a few LiveTarget lures and they are nice but I don't think they are worth the high price. Dick's has sales on the a lot and that is when I grab them.

Youtube how to fish those frogs. I like using them in the late afternoon. Only thing is don't be frustrated if you get bites and miss them, it happens with those lures. I try and wait for the fish to jump and grab it, then pull it under for a second before setting the hook.
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 1702x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 1702x630px
>>822186
>Spinning Combos Under $100
Top to bottom, left to right.
1) Abu Garcia Ike 2- $39
2) Quantum Bill Dance- $39
3) Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2- $49
4) Pflueger Trion- $59
5) Bass Pro Tourney Pro- $59
6) Lew's Laser Speed Spool- $59
7) Abu Garcia Cardinal SX- $69
8) Daiwa Revros- $69
9) Mitchell 300- $69
10) Pflueger President- $79
11) Shimano Sedona/Sellus- $89
12) Mitchell 300 Pro- $89
13) Abu Garcia Orra S- $99
>>
>>822219
>$15

I think that's where I'd just take a rubber glove, cut out the fingers, and make my own 10 set of frogs. Or just use corks with weight and a weedless wire.
>>
>>822219
if you want to use frogs that arnt that much just get a pack of soft plastic frogs. texas rig it and its essentialy the same thing as a hollow body but just soft plastic
>>
>>822246
+1 for Zoom Horny Toads weightless and weedless with a 4/0 EWG hook
>>
>>822240
>>822245
>>822246

canadian prices

cheapest frogs i saw were $8 but they're tiny
>>
>>822021

You want something between 8' and 9', I have a 9' 10-20lb, pretty good.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 400x300px
>>822269
Where did you go? Even in the US, those basic LiveTarget frogs are overprice while most of the other major brands are like $5-$8.

Also like what other anon mentioned, you can buy the soft plastic ones that come in a bag of 5 or 6 and are normally $4-$6 per bag. Then either grab some swimbait hooks (the ones with the little springs) or EWG offset shank worm hooks and use those to rig the frog like pic related.

Either one works. The ones that come in bags of 5 and you rig yourself, they are cheap so you don't have to worry if a fish tangles you up or musky bites through the like. But they get torn up after a few bass bites and you have to put a new one on. The hollow bodied ones like you bought will last much longer. Toothy fish can chew them up, but if you are just going for bass you should be able to use it over and over.
>>
Wtf

>two days ago
>chinese kid and indian kid lurking around pond
>see me fishing
>HEY HAVE YOU SEEN VAPOREON??
>ignore them

>yesterday
>walking back from pond
>two black dudes
>ayo nigga u catch vaporeon??
>i go dude i dont even have that game
>SHIEEEET HE DONT EVEN HAVE THAT GAME??? U MEAN HE WAS ACTUALLY FISHING SHIEEEET
>>
>>822319
Had a similar experience last week.
>get out of car, walk towards local pond
>checking phone with one hand
>fishing poles in other hand
>child approaches
>"have you caught anything yet?"
>nigga I'm still 50 yards from the water, tell him "no, I just got here"
>"there's a pikachu somewhere around here"
>turn 360 degrees and walk away
>>
>>822185
its not that big of a deal to lay fish down if they are too hard to hold while taking a pic but when you lay a fish like pike in dirt it makes it very susceptible to infection more so then most other fresh water fish. Next time you you catch one try and bring it to a grassy area or anywhere that wont get it all dirty and covered in shit.
>>
>>822324
>>822319
>live in the middle of nowhere
>stop truck on the side of road near any body of water
>fish the whole day without ever seeing or hearing anyone
>>
>>822347
The fact that they don't seem to have a net is enough sign to tell you that they really are ignorant or simply don't give a flying fuck. Perhaps both.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
This a pond side report: the bull frogs are still being a bunch of faggots. Good thing they make me laugh
>>
>>822386
fucking saved

lol
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 860x742px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 860x742px
>>822393
I just had a huge snek with a monster frog 90% down its throat. When I tried to wrangle it he spit it out and now mister snek doesn't have his meal. Feels bad man
>>
>>822400

>not shooting the snake on sight

now mr. snek will come back to eat you.
>>
>>822400
did you use mepps?

from what i learned from pepsi is that sneks love mepps
>>
>>822413
Looks like an eastern hognose. They are pretty boss.
>>
>>822413
I'm on mr. Sneaks land he can do as he pleases.
>>822419
No I just grabbed the snek by hand it wasn't in the water
>>
>>822422
still should have tried the mepps.
>>
>>822423
kek, I will next time.
>>
I recently got into bass fishing in New Joisey.

My personal best is a 2.8lb bass so far, most of the others are about 2lbs.

I'm using a Penn Fierce 3000 on a Medium action Ugly Stick 6.5ft.

I fish senkos, keitech swimbaits, some frogs, some crawfish jigs, crankbaits, etc.

It's a ton of fun but I dont always have time to go out in the morning or at dusk...

Anyone have any good bass fishing tips for the north east?
>>
who about to go fishing? it's 8:20 pm eastern time, and it's time for an hour of power!
>>
>>822458
You still got sunlight?

I'm honeslty looking forward to it getting dark out earlier. I normally like to stay out an hour past sunset, but it's hard to be out there until 9:30pm when I wake up at 4am for work.
>>
I read the paste bin.

Any tips for salmon fishing inna river?
>>
>>822467
casting or spinning rod? budget?
>>822468
waiters
>>
>>822468
Yeah sorry the pastebin is still kinda limited since I mostly just do bass fishing in lakes. I don't have salmon in South Florida. I've been asking for more good copypastas but haven't really gotten any.

>>822467
Budget? And what are you thinking, a M weight rod?
>>
>>822471
>waiters
kek yeah that's in the list

>>822473
Budget is $100? I don't mind spending more, couldn't tell ya what I'm looking for I'm pretty new
>>
>>822475
Idk, it's so hard with rods because a ton of it is action and what you like. There are a few St. Croixs right around that range and that is a really good company. The Abu Garcia rods like the Veritas are nice. Can't go wrong if you find a Shimano rod in that range you like.

Bass Pro has some store-brand rods that are good for the price. You can get the Johnny Morris CarbonLites for $100 all day now.

Definitely go somewhere with reputable staff in your area and tell them where you are fishing and see what they reccommend as far as weight and action. Some rods are better for live bait and some are better for certain types of lures. That's kinda why I didn't make a copypasta for the rods like I did with the rod and reel combos.
>>
>>822479
I'll hit up cabelas and the local tackle shop. Hoping to have a setup for the winter season.
>>
>>822475
im going to assume its for a spinning reel. personly id go with the Abu Garcia Vendetta2, its $80 and its a really nice spinning rod. Diawa also makes some really nice sub $100 rods. just go to a store and look and see what you like (color, weight, balance, etc..)
>>
>>822481
I'll check that out
>>
File: 328296-freddifish2.jpg (47KB, 458x640px) Image search: [Google]
328296-freddifish2.jpg
47KB, 458x640px
>>822299

canadian tire, used a gift card anyway

im poor as fuck and buy most of my stuff with canadian tire money lmao

generally the spot im going to use the frog in is more shallow, i haven't seen muskie there but i wouldn't doubt if those aggressive cunts would be lurking around

>>822347
>>822383

alright, thanks for the info

i rarely see anyone using nets, most people with nets are chink fishermen trying to catch enough panfish to feed the people's republic, even turbo gearfags i've seen don't carry nets

ill go pick up a net soon, until then ill just get my waders on and go find a shallow area to stand in

can you grab minnows and crawfish with a net easily? i was advised to use rusty crawfish as bait whenever possible since they're invasive here and killing off local species, lots of minnows get beached and stuck in puddles here too
>>
>>822535
Don't get too worked up over the net thing or laying fish down in the grass. Just try not to rub them around on the cement and you will be fine.

And landing nets, the holes will be way too big for minnows
>>
>>822535
A net makes thing so much easier when dealing with fish.
>>
>>822460

i just came back in. didn't catch shit, had a couple bites. had fun, that's all that matters.
>>
>>822543

dip nets are good but not a necessity for smaller fish in the sub 5 lb range.

while we're talking about nets, anybody castnet here? i used to have one, would throw fish food and catch shiners to fish with. would catch big bass all the time like that.

walmart actually has them back in stock, the 6 foot models are $42. ass pro wants like twice that for a 6 footer.

if they die you can use them for catfishing instead of bass.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FITEC-SS1000-Super-Spreader-6-x-3-8-Cast-Net/23091522
>>
>>822549
I used to but the laws for their use changed and stores stopped selling them and someone stole mine.

FYI, live fish is the best catfish bait.
>>
>>822578

yisss. i thought walmart might have quit selling them but they popped up within the last few weeks.

my walmarts are pretty /out/ and i'm grateful as such.

since it's been forever since i've casted a net i spent the past half hour watching shit on youtube and haven't seen someone put the net in their mouth yet.

then again i also found some guy in florida who made a cast net out of braid holy shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTtlsESMr8
>>
File: IMG_4216.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4216.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
New video! Two more on the way.
https://youtu.be/y8WSqbbXt_4
>>
>>822584
>made a cast net

Bored out of his mind with two much time on his hands

I would never want to make any kind of net that would be the most tedious shit ever
>>
>>822597

oh no doubt, but as far as i can tell, most cast nets are monofilament and likely made in asia for pennies.

all these pussies not putting the net in their mouths, tasting the disgusting brackish water and spitting profusely is half the fun!
>>
>>821197

Can we start doing fish-bra pics for the OP?
>>
>>822447
Sounds like you're doing everything right

Where you at jerseyfag? Bordentown here. Was about to go out but wicked storm creeped up outta nowhere
>>
>>821894
Florida Gar and Spotted Gars are technically the same fish 99%.

Florida Gar are just a subspecies of Spotted Gars found in most of Florida and Georgia. The only difference between a Florida Gar and a Spotted gar is a slight distance from the eye to the snout. Both are covered in jaguar like spots and look exactly the same. The best way to catch Gar is to use small cut bait that is fresh.
>>
>>822447
>>822641

are the fish safe to eat here in jersey?
>>
>>822691

fuck that, if they won't eat plastic then fuck them.

fuck gar and fuck jack.

they are the assholes of the fishing community.
>>
can you catch a frish with hands only
>>
>>822697

imposible
>>
File: phpC7Y7cGAM.jpg (229KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
phpC7Y7cGAM.jpg
229KB, 900x1200px
320 halibut in alaska
>>
File: IMG_20160707_153511.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160707_153511.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
dog chum
>>
>>822718
wondor how old a fish like that would be
>>
>>822720
it looks like it just told a joke and its waiting for its friends to laugh
>>
>>822724
15 to 20 years.
they are around 10 years when they are 1,2/1,6m depending on gender.
>>
File: rsz_img_20160707_165018.jpg (617KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160707_165018.jpg
617KB, 1200x900px
sockeye or red salmon
>>
File: IMG_20160703_090744.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_090744.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
ling cod
>>
File: rsz_img_20160703_090717.jpg (613KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160703_090717.jpg
613KB, 1200x900px
rock fish
>>
File: IMG_20160711_160605.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160711_160605.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
sculpin
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 586x592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 586x592px
>>822691
That's what I figured. Some of then have slightly different spots. It's like the Florida Bass and Largemouth Bass.

>>822615
I have done a couple.
>>
File: IMG_20160711_185410.jpg (993KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160711_185410.jpg
993KB, 1200x1600px
got a wolf eel too but my camera broke so i gotta wait for my buddy to email me the pic

fried halibut and beef stew w/rice
>>
File: IMG_20160710_193441.jpg (987KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160710_193441.jpg
987KB, 1600x1200px
how to filet a halibut
>>
>>822742
Ugly but cool lookin
>>
File: IMG_20160707_232830.jpg (634KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160707_232830.jpg
634KB, 1600x1200px
>>822753
crazy big mouths. large mouth bass-esque

mouth and head is like the same size as the lingcod even though the cod is like 5 times longer.
>>
>>821707
Where I live you have to kill those if you catch one. Never seen one though.
>>
>>822697
I can go up to the river near me in September and reach down and pick up salmon all day since they are all going up stream to lay their eggs. not very fun or challenging though so there is no point
>>
>>822641
Bergen county, way north

Same happened to me, I was gonnago out at around 7 but the storm fucked my shit up

>>822692
It completely depends on where you catch it. I have a reference sheet for the Hudson River, for example, that says how many of each fish species you could safely eat per month, and which species to not eat at all.

If you catch it from a clean waterway (i.e not the hudson river) you will be fine.
>>
>>822825
What state?
>>
didn't see it in the paste bin, what should I pay for decent waiters?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2763x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2763x2208px
>>822807
When it comes to invaisive species, that's a good thing.

It's still strange to me how saltwater fish can be invaisive since all the oceans are connected. We have a problem with lionfish here. I guess something like that could never make it from the Indian ocean to the Atlantic and Caribbean but still.
>>
>>822827
passaic river is pretty bad too tho, from what ive heard.

What if you're fishing upstream more though. Like id imagine if you fished in upstate ny hudson it's cleaner than NJ/nyc hudson
>>
>>822837
>I guess something like that could never make it from the Indian ocean to the Atlantic and Caribbean

Perhaps they were transported by commercial means and someone just dumped them into the water one day, like a lot of them.
>>
File: LMB JULY 16.jpg (198KB, 1303x855px) Image search: [Google]
LMB JULY 16.jpg
198KB, 1303x855px
Around 19"
>>
File: JULY SONAR.jpg (285KB, 2125x1196px) Image search: [Google]
JULY SONAR.jpg
285KB, 2125x1196px
>>822871

still some crazy dense schools of yellow perch running around.
>>
I'm going to say it, I love Zebco.

They catch a lot of flack for being kiddie, but sometimes, you just want something that works. I have a Platinum 33 in the truck right now.

They're idiot proof, I an cast just as well, I've never had one break, and I've never lost a fish because of it. I've reeled in tiny panfish to 15lb catfish on it and never suffered a single problem that wasn't my own fault.

I find the rod is far more important than the reel. Hell, a cheap Zebco or Mitchell will work just as well as anything on a good rod. A great reel will not work on a shitty rod.

Just my opinion.
>>
>>822899
I agree that it's fine for panfish and small catfish but closed faced reels are objectively worse in every regard compared to spinning reels.
>>
>>822899
>but sometimes, you just want something that works.

are you implying that other types of reels which are objectively better in every possible way dont work? This is just me projecting but is it safe to say that you're just too lazy to become efficient with other reel types? I cant think of a single argument that would justify using a spin cast over a spinning or casting reel other than laziness or incompetence
>>
Going to hit up a local tackle shop on Sunday and hopefully get or at least price some rods/gear. Really want to get into fishin
>>
>>822970
Mostly laziness. I'm man enough to admit that.

Look, I'm not saying that I only use Zebco, or that Zebco are the best. I'm saying hat the don't deserve the rap that they get.

There is nothing wrong with that.

And yes, I do like not having to worry about things sometimes. Sometimes I'll stop at a pond on my way home from work and wet a line for an hour. I can decompress from my stressful job, sit on a bank, maybe I catch a fish, maybe I don't. But I'm having fun and getting outside. Isn't that what's important?

Zebcos aren't all that bad. They're as good as their price point demands. they are perfectly serviceable reels. People should stop insulting them.
>>
>>822871
That's a pretty fish
>>
File: image.jpg (414KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
414KB, 3264x2448px
>>822868
I thibk the lion fish were a result of people with aquariums dumping them.

There are so many different cichlids in lakes and canals around here because of people releasing them from aquariums. There used to be oscars all over untiil one cold winter killed a bunch off and the Mayan cichlids took over. There is also a big problem with plecostomuses, I try and snag those all the time.
>>
>>822989
I never insulted zebcos I just said they are inferior. Who am I to tell you what to use. If you catch fish and have fun doing it thats all that matters.
>>
anyone got 15k they want to loan me for this bass boat im trying to buy? pls, and thanks you
>>
>>822995
And I never said that you insulted them. lots of people do. There is really nothing wrong with them though.

I never understood the animosity. Because hats how pawpaw taught us how to fish?
>>
>>822983
Do it pussy.

If you read the lil beginner's advice thing in the pastebin, it talks about just getting started with live bait. Local tackle shops are great for advice, just be careful not to spend $90 on a $60 reel. Not that you shouldn't shop there, but sometimes they price shit real high but will deal with you if you know what stuff costs elsewhere.
>>
>>822996
Sure. PM me.
>>
>>822825
There's a bear joke lurking in this post but I'm lazy
>>
>>823001
>not saying reel high
cmon m8. I'll get the names/prices of the reels and come here before I buy
>>
>>822835
NY
>>
>>822837
Not all fish are able to cross oceans

In fact the vast majority can't
Most don't ever venture very far from where they were born

This leads to unique ecosystems being created with the unique species filling niches

When they are introduced into a foreign ecosystem they will seek out a niche because it's find a niche or die and in the case of predatory fish like the lionfish it can lead to trophic cascade
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 720x835px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 720x835px
Trying out my new spinning combo today. Rigged a weightless jig with a craw trailer. Hopefully I can get on a good smallmouth bite.
>>
Who is your favorite youtube fisherman? 1rod1reel for me
>>
Thinking of taking a girl fishing next saturday. When I hand her the rod I am going to say "Ugly Stik for the beautiful girl" Y/N?
>>
>>823090
>I see you're familiar with the Ugly Stik
>>
>>823090

Wow. Desperate as fuck. Funny though.

Why are you taking a girl fishing? Honestly curious here. Fishing D hunting is my dude time with my buds. No girlz allowed!
>>
>>823090
This can go two always anon

>friendZoned for life
>she thinks it's corny, but cute

I'd try and make sure she actually likes you first, otherwise pickup lines like that are dumb. Just talk to her like you would anyone else senpai

>>823097
I got laid in the woods last time I took a girl fishing soooo
>>
>>823090
don't, good god, please don't.
that's old guy/fedora fag tier.
>>
>>823122
I gotta get out fishing with a grill I know, gotta work on that
>>
>>823136
I went fishing with some trap I met in these threads
>>
>>823090
This isn't a cringe thread. Don't turn it into one.
>>
>>823138
kekd
>>
co worker said I need a 8ft rod to fish steel head, is that correct?
>>
>>823142
Length doesn't really matter for shit when it comes to how big the fish is.
>>
>>823144
he was serious, said don't get anything under 8ft. I'll see what my local shop says but he's going to take me fishing and I can't show up with a small rod ya feel
>>
We had fun fishing :)
https://youtu.be/Y9VV_Em0OD8
>>
>>823146
Length in general shouldn't matter, you could buy a heavy ass 6' rod if you wanted to or a 7'6" ultralight for panfish.
>>
>>823156
alright cool.
>>
File: FishingSpic.jpg (10KB, 182x174px) Image search: [Google]
FishingSpic.jpg
10KB, 182x174px
If you haven't checked this chalupa out, then you're a piece of shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIPGPG1L5i0
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>thinkin about goin to big bass lake
>need to be back at my car by 8pm at that lake so I don't get locked in
>already close to 7pm, not trying to walk a bunch, fish for 30min, and make the trek back
>Google Maps finds a little lake/ large pond between a hotel and some businesses
>suprisingly quiet but real clear water and lots of turtles so I'm thinkin it will be shit
>get pic related, only 13"-14" but nice and healthy
>get a bigger one a couple casts later who jumps and throws the hook
I like finding new spots. I have been seeing a bunch near where I work but don't want to drive down there on weekdays

>>823163
A lot of it depends where you are gonna be fishing from, and just preference as well. The surf fishing guys do 10' rods because they need to be able to cast a mile and don't have to worry about the tree branches overhead when fishing from the beach.
>>
>>823197
I'll be fishin from a river bank. I'll see what my local shop says. Going to get some gear Friday
>>
>>823199
Yeah they will definitely know. And you can see what other people at the spot are using.

Are you one of the new angler anons who was posting earlier?
>>
>>823217
>Are you one of the new angler anons who was posting earlier?
yes. sorry if im shittin up the thread
>>
>>823223
Kek nah it's fine, the thread gets much worse when salty troll anon comes through.

I was gonna say idk what the steelhead season is like near you, but if you end up getting an 8' heavy rod and big reel to target them, you may want a lighter setup too eventually if you are going to target bass or panfish.

The rods wilm have the length, weight (Light, Medum, Heavy etc), reccommended line and lure weights, and all that shit. Bass fishing is normally medium weight with 8lb-10lb line. Any heavier and you will have a hard time casting crappie, bluegill, or smaller bass lures.
>>
>>823228
Season is June to mid January. I read an article on a local paper and it recommended this shop I'm going too. I'll probably stick to steelhead, silver, and pinks
>>
>>823007
sometimes it's OK to spend a little extra at the small shop. For me BPS is easily $30 in gas. Sure I could internet but shipping and they won't tell me little things like what is biting what bait and where.
I paid too much for one of my rods at a little shop but also got the best price I had seen on a spinfisher so it was a wash.
>>
>>823228
know anything about Okuma SST Salmon & Steelhead Rods?
>>
>>823223
>shittin up the thread
Can't happen...
>>
>>823172
bass ceviche is actually pretty tasty, meat is nice and firm.

Wouldn't eat bass from any body of water, it would have to be a nice and clean one for sure
>>
>>823256
Do you precook your bass when you do that? I read somewhere it's a good idea to cook freshwater fish first because they carry more possible diseases/bacteria
>>
>>823259

Oh I don't know, I didn't make the ceviche, also, you know what ceviche is right?

Its like sushi+++, you cook the meat in lime juice
>>
>>823238
I have one ultralight 7 ft 6
Not sure if the Kokanee or trout version but I think it's a decent rod for the price, I have no complaints
>>
File: AJ2CG.gif (2MB, 304x297px) Image search: [Google]
AJ2CG.gif
2MB, 304x297px
Day 3 of fishing solo

I exclusively used hotdogs on a branch of the Raritan river today.

Was sort of disappointed with them as bait, but for 8 dogs for $1 I shouldn't be.

The major problem is casting and having the dog fall of mid cast. This sucks when I got trees on my sides hanging into the stream.

Lost a few hooks cause of this, about 5 which cost $3 so that's pretty neat.

No fish were caught, sunnies nibbled at my hotdog when I kept it in the water on shore. But there was this one bite.

This fucking fish.

Whatever it was it liked that hotdog.

I remember catching a trout with my dad when I was like 12. But the power on this fish was probably x3 of it and I just got surprised.

I semi panicked and the fish took the whole hook. At least I set the hook. The speed it took off down stream along with the power blew me away.

Im not to sure what lead it to take my hook tho. Used a clinch knot and 10lb mono and my drag was set very low.

I guess it was the knot was bad, gotta learn palamor knot.

Holy shit that fish is gonna give me a nightmare
>>
>>823264
cool, trying to have a list before i go in
>>
>>823260
Yeee I love it. But the lime juice won't kill any bad shit in the meat. It's probably not a big deal. I've had catfish ceviche plenty of times, and I'm not dead or too retarded yet.

>>823268
I try not to put dollar amounts to the lures I lose. Kinda ruins the fun for me.
>>
File: dfdfdfd.jpg (3MB, 2000x3552px) Image search: [Google]
dfdfdfd.jpg
3MB, 2000x3552px
based zoom craws have been absolutely slaying for me

this fucker destroyed it though, ripped off two claws and almost split it in half

gotta buy some bullet sinker pegs, toothpicks have been working wonders through the weeds but the pegs look slicker
>>
>>823237
Yeah that is true to an extent. Plus you are paying for the knowledge and supporting a small business which is cool. I didn't mind spending the extra $1 on Rapalas and Mepps at my place in IL because dude was cool and would give me deals as a regular.

But when they try and charge an extra 30%+ on something, you gotta haggle with them a little and try to get it down. MSRP on fishing stuff is real similar across the board whether you go online or Bass Pro or even Walmart sells a lot of lures for basically the same as Cabela's and small shops. I'm assuming their margins are decent on these lures when they sell at MSRP. The small shops just can't afford to do the 50% off sales like Dick's because those are manufacturer-retail deals they have going on.

>>823238
Idk about the steelhead rods but a couple people here have the ULs and love em.
>>
>>823275
The dollar amount is good tho, was literally just $4 for what should be the worst fishing experience I'll have.

I'm happy it didn't cost much
>>
>>823278
The Speed Craws?

Those are decent. I like the lizards and brush hogs better because they have longer appendages that dangle more. For craws, Culprit makes these 3.5" ones with real long antennae and claws and I have done some work with those.

And pegs?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>823268
>>823288
You'll be ok.

Just be like me
>lose 2 hooks, buy 20 more
>lose a Mepps, buy 4 more
>>
File: baby-brush-hog-head-section.jpg (44KB, 650x371px) Image search: [Google]
baby-brush-hog-head-section.jpg
44KB, 650x371px
>>823291

brush hogs looked neat, i just went with craws since i saw some live ones in the water and figured why not

by pegs i meant whatever that black little bead is in this pic, im presuming its some sort of peg to keep the bullet sinker in place for less salad. i just stick a toothpick through the sinker but it sort of makes it tilt in a way i don't like, would prefer it to be straight
>>
>>823293
Can you brainstorm what could have possibly took my hotdog and took off with it? Was at least 3 inches, wacky rigged.

The motion it was making was pretty cool actually, sort of spiraled as I reeled it.

Cause I'm going back there and would like to see if a hotdog isn't the only good bait.

Do catfish take off when they get a hook set? Perhaps it was a bass and I should use lures.

When I got the hook set it was no where near the surface. I'm thinking since it was low in the stream + a good chunk of a hotdog I'm thinking it was a cat, but I had no idea they take off that quick
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>823295
Oh, I never even use anything like that on my Texas rigs. I let the weight slide.

And the brush hogs do pretty much replicate crawdads with the claws and legs. Lots of companies make brush hogs too, I have some KVD Strike King brush hogs (I think they call em Game Hawgs?).

On the bottom of this pic is the Culprit craws I was talking about.

If anything I reccommend the lizards. Tons of people say "but I don't have a lot of lizards around here!" but they always work. Chartruese Pepper Zoom Lizards work when nothing else does.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>823298
Yeah catfish will run. It's hard to tell but it could've easily been a catfish. Eventually it gets a little easier to tell what is on the line but sometimes it will suprise you. I can normally tell whether I have a largemouth, snek, or Mayan before I ever see it dependkng how they run.

I'm not a huge fan of the hotdogs, I have used them before but mostly just bluegill will nibble. Bass don't seem to go for em. Just get a dozen nightcrawlers from Walmart for $2, anything will hit them.
>>
>>823300

canadian tire generally carries lizards, but sometimes its hard to find anything in chartruese for some fucking reason. my local crappy tire seems to only carry dark, natural colours.
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215KB, 640x1136px
>>823288
I've lost $20 in lures in a day, so that's why I try not to think about it so it doesn't become a habit lol.

>>823300
You're making me proud :,)
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>823304
Walmart always seems to have pic related, the curly tail Zoom worms. They aint no lizards but bass love chartruese, especially when they don't seem to like anything else.

And it's always good to have a couple colors to see what works in different conditions. Get something natural, something bright, and something dark. I use a lot of darker stuff like the "Junebug" color when the water is a bit murky. It stands out against the brown-green mud and algae color. Those dark blacks, blues, and purples seem to work well when I'm running through weeds or underwater grass because they contrast with the green.

And for some reason I don't understand, chartruese stuff works well for me in clear water even though it is so unnatural.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>823306
When do those seem to work best for you? Like I just mentioned, that chartruese has been really good for me in clear water which seems odd. In more murky water, the dark colors do better than chartruese. Maybe it's just how they stand out and kinda hard to imagine it since fish eyesight is so much different than ours.
>>
>>823303
I heard cats are on the bigger meal side of things tho, well the big ones at least.

Would any lures work for cats? Or maybe I should try catching sunnies and cutting them up as a meaty replacement for falling-apart hotdogs
>>
>>823306
How's that No 8? What reel do you have on it?

I can't decide if I want one or not.
>>
>>823307
>>823312

i got chartruese tailed black powerbait worms, but they haven't produced any results and half of them have had the tails nibbled off

if the water is murky, black red glitter speed craws work great for me

gonna go get some chartruese lizards or brush hogs and see how those work out
>>
File: image.jpg (296KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
296KB, 640x1136px
>>823312
They work best for me when the isn't real murky, but it isn't clear either. I've gotten some decent fish on them in really dirty water tho.

For anything really clear I tend to like those cotton candy ones, but I think the baby bass will be killer in clear water

>>823316
I will shill super hard for the No. 8 Blackouts. They're super sensitive and really light, but they have a good back bone. I honestly don't think there's a better rod in the price range. I'm probably gonna get another one pretty soon.

The one with a baitcaster is a MH with Abu Garcia Revo STX, and I have a medium spinning rod with a Abu Orra S.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>823315
There are different species of cats, 3 main freshwater ones in the US- channel, flathead, and blues. Channel cats are probably the most widespread and common but can still get pretty big if you are fishing them on a bass setup. Flatheads and blues get really big and you would have a hell of a time landing a medium blue cat on a bass setup.

Channel cats will go for anything, alive or dead. I have caught a bunch on nightcrawlers and commercial stink baits. I have had channel cats hit lures a couple times but it is rare. I think you have to go right past their mouth while they are hungry, they aren't going to hunt it down like other predators.

Never had a blue or flathead, I have never actually targeted them in a body of water that had em. I hear they like live stuff too, a 3"-4" bluegill hooked up towards the bottom is supposed to be the way to go for that.

Pic related is a channel cat I caught on an ultralight with a beetle spin lure while going for crappie at this little pond just before I moved out of IL.

>>823319
I have that same problem with those damn worms. Zoom makes lizards like that with a black body and chartruese tail. I get lots of bites on them, but a lot of times it will be bluegill or cichlids grabbing the tail with no chance to hook them, or a largemouth will grab the tail and I will try to set the hook and start reeling it in and the bass lets go a couple seconds later.

Chartruese Pepper lizards are definitely one of my favorites when nothing else is working. There is another Zoom lizard color called "Cotton Candy" that has a light purple-ish body and chartruese tail, but the tail isn't so bright that the fish don't touch the rest of the lure. There is a Zoom pumpkin chartruese like that too where the chartruese tail isn't super bright.

>>823323
Did you buy that rod online? They look nice and the price is decent, there aren't enough good rods in that $80 price range. Pretty much Abu Vendettas or whatever store brand you can find.
>>
>>823324
Nah I bought them at Gander Mountain, but I wouldn't hesitate to order one online now. If you get one and don't like it I'll buy it from you lol.

*disclaimer*
I haven't tried many >$60 rods, so it could be just as good or slightly worse than other rods in that price range. But I swear I can feel every little nibble and any structure with them, so I don't see how it could get much better.
>>
>>823328
I've heard a lot of good things about them. I've also heard that it's all marketing.

I've played with them at the store, and they feel nice, but I'm not sure how much that translates to actual casting.
>>
does anyone mind giving me a rundown on owning multiple rods?

i own a 6 foot medium action 6-12lb rod, i obviously cant target muskie with this, but i want to

if i bought a rod to target muskie and other larger fish, could i still use it for bass and smaller stuff?

like, i talked to a guy this morning who mentioned four out of his five rods are baitcasters and he's been throwing frogs all week with no luck. i saw a guy come down with four rods, and another with three.

why would you own so many rods? what factors are they trying to cover?
>>
what are some good waders?
>>
>>823333

depends what you want

breathables? neoprene?

i own a pair of breathables and neoprene. the breathables are allen pathfinder stockingfoots, they're comfy as fuck and have a waterproof pocket on the front, costed $260 CAD, but ive seen breathables go anywhere between $200 to $1000.

my neoprene ones are outbound ones, they were like $70. haven't taken them out in the water yet, but trying them on was pretty comfy. won't be using them anytime soon, just needed to buy them because im getting an electrofishing certification as part of my college program
>>
>>823338
Waterproof is really all I need I guess. I can always wear long johns and shit if it gets cold
>>
>>823341

probably won't get cold in neoprene ones, i asked an employee at a shop if they had any and he says "why would you want neoprene? it's like wearing a flexible oven"
>>
>>822871

beautiful!

just got back off the lake at 11 pm. this is what life should be like everyday. i didn't catch shit, lost three lures, and spent an hour talking on the phone while floating around in the channel without a care in the world.

>>822899

the platinum 33 is the only good 33 available new now, i have one and it's my go to when i don't care to fiddle with spinners or baitcasters.

it's still not smooth and if you load your line up with any weight it gets clunky as hell, but at least it's 4:1 ratio with a decent inches per turn.

i was gonna buy an old one on ebay but i accidentally one in the back yard. they're like loose change if you've fished long enough with other people, you find them here and there. gonna fix that bad boy up tonight!
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>823332
Depends, people do different weight rods for different fish, different line strengths and different types of line (flouro for deep lures, braid for fishing through heavy weeds, etc).

If you want to do a 2nd rod that could handle muskie and bass tied up in lilly pads, maybe you could go with something like my one Pflueger President combo. It is. 6'6" MH rod (you could go longer if you want) and it has some good backbone for heavy lures, and a President 35 reel so slightly larger than most regular medium sized (~3000) reels. I run 30lb PowerPro braid on it. A little too heavy for panfish stuff, but it will still toss 1/4oz lures and works really well with 1oz jigs and spinnerbaits because of the stiff rod.
>>
>>823084

i watch the flukemaster which may or may not be acceptable to /out/ but i find he's worth watching.

there's always some thin whore in a bikini doing shit but if i want porn i'll find it instead.
>>
>>823332
>>823350
I want to add that if you do a MH spinning combo like that President 35, it would also work well as a catfish or carp rod. The 30lb braid would have no problem landing 10lb+ carp and the rod has enough backbone to toss 2oz rigs for catfish.

If you really want a musky specific rod though, might be worth looking into a casting reel like an Abu Ambassadeur but I think a spinning combo like I mentioned would be a good second rod.
>>
>>823350

im not really into panfish anyway. i dont like to catch them unless some chinks are nearby who will keep and eat them, just a bit boring since i spent my entire childhood just catching panfish. the fish are neat, i just don't like sitting there and watching a bobber. moving to a different town, prime muskie/pike/walleye/bass locations and tournaments, big on ice fishing too

im a bit confused though; is the weight listed on rods the amount of weight the rod can support, or the weight of monofilament the rod should be used with? pfluegers website lists the numbers under 'Mono Capacity yd/lb'
>>
>>823357
The weights listed on the rod and reel are normally for mono line. But braid is a thinner diameter for the same weight, so if a reel holds 150yds of 12lb mono, it will hold like 150yds of 30lb or 40lb braid.

And I guess when it comes to the weight of the fish, that depends on the rod. Some are more flexible and the tip can bend down to the handle, but a rod with faster action and more backbone won't want to do that. Once you start getting big enough fish, you probably want a landing net even with a heavier rod.
At least just avoid bending the rod with too much or too tight of a curve.
>>
>>823358

gonna start tripfagging here for some continuity

>>823278

even this bass here, which couldn't have been more than 4 1/2lbs, was bending my rod pretty bad. found two of the rings on the rod bent, too. the rod im using right now was free though (guy we bought a bike off of threw it in because he gave up fishing), i'm just worried ill snag some fat pig on my frog and end up snapping and losing the lure.

haven't landed anything with the frog yet but just throwing it around was fucking great, it was heavy enough to just fly across the water and im loving how it's practically impossible to get the thing stuck
>>
>>823373
Did you watch any youtube vids on how to fish the frogs? There are a few techniques. And I normally only do well with topwater at dusk or dawn, but I guess it depends on water temp and weather too. If the water is warm there, topwater like those frogs might be a little better towards the fall. The bass are too slow for me with the hot summer FL water to get much out of topwater unless it is smaller guys lurking in the weeds.

And sounds like your rod might be a lil old and/or beat up if you bent the rings. But with my medium weight rods, I still like to grab the bass out of the water by hand once I get to like 4lbs. Or at least pop them out of the water fast with the rod and grab em by hand pretty fast. When a fat fish shakes, it puts a lot of stress on the knot, hook, line, and even the fish's lip.
>>
>>823375
What are you doing up so late?
>>
>>823375

this black dude who gave me a fuckload of tips ive mentioned before showed up again today, he said to twitch the rod twice, pause, repeat

what i was doing before that was reeling it steadily towards lily pads, twitching a bit to imitate hopping, hopping off the pads, swimming steadily and stopping near thick weeds or more pads, but didn't get any bites, was at like 1pm though

dude there said he had been casting frogs all afternoon, i arrived at a pretty shit time, was hot as fuck and boats were flying around

ive had like three guys come up to me and express how much they fucking love topwater lures though
>>
>>823332
I have a variety of rods/reels due to different types of fishing I like to do,
My 7 ft bass rod won't throw 1/64 ounce leadheads far at all for trout, and the line I have on it is pretty heavy for line shy trout
My ultralight I can't quite frog with , not enough strength to rip a fish from the weeds without having to worry about the rod, plus 6 lb mono wouldn't be appropriate for that sort of fishing

Plus than I have my saltwater gear, I can't really throw 3 ounce plugs even on my heaviest bass rod
Or I ant throw 5 ounces of lead
Then I have a heavy and light boat rod
I wouldn't want to use my 8 ft surf rod for fishing off a boat, just slightly too long etc( though I do use the same reel for my heavy boat rod)

I certainly can't diamond jig with 14 ounces in 100+ foot of water with any of my freshwater gear
Plus I have other rods I keep as backups
Sometimes I need to grab a 2 piece bass rod instead of a single piece
Or I have someone or multiple people needing to borrow rods
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>823379
Sometimes I take a lil nap after work and end up not being able to go back to bed until midnight.

>>823386
Yeah when fish are hitting topwater, it is so much fun because you can see them strike. I like poppers a lot too if I'm not going directly through weeds.

You gotta try the frog a little later though. 1pm is generally a shitty time for fishijg anyway unless you catch a weather front. But topwater is great at dusk or dawn when the wind dies off and the surface of the lake calms down. Especially if you can see the fish jumping.
>>
File: guy-girl-trout-2.jpg (364KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
guy-girl-trout-2.jpg
364KB, 1500x1125px
>>823090
You ever notice romantic comedy movies with Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller that have awkward/cringy parts usually involve them stumbling through something they set up in their head to be a flawless plan? That's what you're doing.

"What's an ugly stick?"
"T...that's the name of the pole."
"So you gave it to me?"
"I...well....see there's this anime board with...like there's these guys I talk about fishing with....there's...I...."

Just don't dude. Get the rods set up ahead of time, take her to a place with mowed shoreline or preferably on a boat, bug spray, a way to wash her hands, clean towels, hand sanitizer, cold drinks, snacks, sunscreen, tunes, sandwiches, prep every single thing so the outing turns out flawless. Plan what you'll do afterwords.

Oh, and don't keep any fish. This isn't the time to be slaughtering an animal unless she's that /out/.

Good luck anon!
>>
File: palomar_knot2.jpg (58KB, 728x584px) Image search: [Google]
palomar_knot2.jpg
58KB, 728x584px
>>823268
>palamor knot.
Not complicated but sort of awkward to tie the first few times. I started using it exclusively and lose less books.
>>
anyone bleed their fish here?
>>
>>823500
You mean like you'd bleed out a deer before butchering it? Never had to.
>>
>>823501
Yeah, I watched a video and a guy cut the gills then held the fish by its tail and rubbed the blood out
>>
File: cat.jpg (42KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
42KB, 300x400px
>>823503
The only fish I've ever cut up that had much blood was a 65-70lb flathead and I still didn't see the need.
>>
>>823508
Yeah it was nothin that big. Said it made it taste better, prob just memein on me. Thanks
>>
>>823084
>1rod1reel
I wonder if there is 2girls1baitbucket
>>
>>823498
Just did some tying on the table, I got it down it seems. But I bet when I'm out there retying I'll get tilted
>>
>>823532
I printed that picture and put in my son's tackle box in case he forgets.
>>
>>823510
Well I'm certainly not the alpha and omega of fishing so there may be something to it.

I can't help but think what the other people at the fillet station would think about anon massaging his fish before he too the knife to it though....
>>
I'm doing a three way rig and I feel like the snap swivels are too small (size 16 eagle claw brand) and I'm using 10lb mono

Should I be fine with those or should I look for bigger swivels?

Or perhaps I can just tie a line to my main line? That would form a three way. But does anyone know if that's "unhealthy" for the line? Like if I put a clinch knot from a 2nd line would that pinch and break the main line?
>>
File: 71.jpg (38KB, 400x578px) Image search: [Google]
71.jpg
38KB, 400x578px
#71 pic?
>>
>>823525
I think Family Guy did 2girls1carp
>>
File: 2035688_13061208313410.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2035688_13061208313410.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
So can you guys give me a primer on baitcasting? Why do I want one? What are they for? Most importantly, what should I buy?

What sort of rod would match well with? Should I just get an ABU combo of some sort?

I am a lifelong spinner guy, and have been mostly fly fishing for the last few years. Lately I've been wanting to pick up a bait caster, just to play with.
>>
>>823570
same here, would like to know

actually used one recently out on a boat with my family.

It seemed like an easier spinning reel. It was just press down the button and start reeling to lock it back.
>>
>>823570
>>823571
>>
>>823573
i saw this before using it, and i dont understand how this happens. It seems to me that the bait caster is literally a simpler spinning reel
>>
>>823575
Turn the magnetic drag all the way down and don't thumb the reel when casting i.e. a unsupervised first timer's birdsnest.
>>
>>823543
According to Eagle Claw's catalog the "Deluxe Barrel Swivel with Interlock Snap" is rated at 10 lbs. Your knot will probably fail before the swivel.
>>
>>823500

Only with tuna over the 50lbs mark.
>>
>>822115
Seems like a great way to get gashed fingers if you're running braid.
>normally leave bail open if soaking bait, close bail when fish grabs bait and starts to run.
Would have to hook braid around finger and get under 'take-up'.
No worries with little fish but what about the bigguns?
>>
>>823571
>>823570
They cast further, they are lighter than a spinning reel with the same line capacity normally. Any of the major brands should be nice, just read the reviews online.

I also typed up some shit on memecasters in the pastebin, mostly about learning how to use them. Might be worth a read.
>>
>>823575
It's different than a spinning reel. The spool rotates fast when you are casting. So if you are casting into wind or for whatever reason the lure is losing speed faster than the spool, the spoil has momentum and wants to keep feeding line and the line has nowhere to go so it just backs up inside the reel.
>>
>>823570
Cast farther with less effort, lighter, more comfortable in your hand, less line then a spinning reel but not meant to be used in situations that require it, faster gear ratios for faster retrieve, more accurate casts. Great for jigging, flipping, frogging, cranking, and finessing
>>
>>823663
>>823573
>>823578
You'd think that would have been solved 20 years ago or more.
>>
File: Untitled.png (379KB, 1021x245px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
379KB, 1021x245px
>>823553
#83 maybe
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 600x800px
>>823730
I mean that's the purpose of the brakes and spool tension. It's inherent to the design but maybe they could fit some camera and computer inside that detects the speed of the lure and can apply the brakes as soon as it hits the water. I would hate to see the price on that.

You really only have to thumb it just as it hits the water as long as everything else is set correctly.

>>823731
I may do a 70.5 because of anon who mentioned the fish bra
>>
File: IMG_1011.jpg (963KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1011.jpg
963KB, 3264x2448px
>>823306
1) I've played with that rod in a store and should have got it. Just need to remember where.
2) >$20/day
meh, 30 in 1 cast when topwater flies off line on kick back. SUCKS
3) Holy fuck do I feel like an idiot. (pic related) I bent that back so I could put hooks through the eye.
>>
>>823817
That sucks that you bent the hook keeper. Those ones are the best since you can pop Texas rigs on there. Only problem with the Lightning Rods is they have that hook keeper on the same side as the reel and line so it is easy to get tangled up while casting if you aren't used to it. Abu puts them on the back and my Johnny Morris rod has it on the side.
>>
Is it OK to put your rod away under tension?
>>
Anyone know of good dishing spots in Palm Beach County? Just got a new rod/reel, haven't fished around here yet.
>>
>>823824
its not the end of the world but can I ask for what reason ypu would do that? are you cramming them in some confined space or something?
>>
Guys where are the bass

I got skunked like twice it's hot

No more sunfish please
>>
>>823830
the super warm summer water makes the bass not hungry. summer bassin is tough
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>823827
Where in Palm Beach are you?

Ask Miami anon where she got that fatty bass at. There's lakes and canals everywhere. I hate going north of Boca so I don't know of too many spots there but there is so much water. You just have to try some spots out.

There are the two Loxtahatchee spots, one is pretty much on the border with Broward and the other would be Delray I guess, like Atlantic and 441. They are both pretty much access to the Everglades and you can do some shore fishing but a lot of it is best if you have a boat.

Or you could not be like me and actually go saltwater fishing.
>>
>>823833
Dude fuckin A im exhausted stupid not bringing water.

Idk i threw jigs yesterday and got nothing but sunfish.

so i thought alright lets do topwater today and i still just get sunfish.

Suffering
>>
>>823740
How about a spinning reel that flips sideways when you crank it so it becomes a baitcaster? That way you can cast it as a spinning reel. I'm sure some enterprising German can come up with a slick design.

>tfw i've had this idea for over 30 years

There's probably already such a device.
>>
>>823834
I'm in Delray. I'm thinking of trying the lakes behind my apartments first, some homeless guy was fishing there. Apparently there's something other than gators there
>>
>>823838
I pretty much always bring a little lunchbox cooler with me. I leave it in the car but still close so I don't have to leave a good spot because I'm dying of thirst.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>823840
How? The whole main difference is that the spool on a spinning reel is stationary while it spins on a casting reel. If you just turned a spinning reel with rotor sideways, it would never cast unless the spool was free moving. I guess if you did that, the birds nests would be outside of the reel on the ground instead of inside the body of the reel.

>>823842
Sometimes those are the best places as long as it isn't a tiny pond. Even tiny ponds will have lots of small bass. The challenge is finding spots that you can fish at without being arrested, but aren't overfished by minorities.

You should try these lakes in Boca, they are off Spanish River. The one on the north side of Spanish River Rd is behind the library, and the is a park with baseball diamonds and stuff just across the street to the south with another big lake. Easy to fish from shore, you won't get kicked out, I have only been there a few times without much luck but it is always on scorching summer afternoons so I think it is poor timing on my part. If you catch shit there, maybe I will give them another try.

You can come down to Broward for the snakeheads and peacock bass too.
>>
>>823730
... they have. its called the braking system that every bait caster has, some more advanced then others. If you arnt retarded and know how to tune your reel correctly you can have it so you can bomb almost all of the line off the spool and it will stop immediately after the lure hits the water. Just gotta not be a noob and get used to it to be proficient
>>
>>823846
I know the place, I'll report back after the weekend.
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 640x846px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 640x846px
just got my pb bluegill
little homie was fat
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>823857
Yeah I have done the library side a bunch but like I said it was at a terrible time almost every day. There are tons of turtles though. I need to try the one on the south side.

Those lakes confuse me though. They are big, super easy to shore fish from, and they are public. Most places like that you would expect a ton of people to be fishing there. So I'm wondering if the fishing sucks (which it can't be worse than the canals that people are always fishing at) or maybe because people in Boca don't really bass fish when they can be out on their yacht catching monsters offshore. Only been there a few times so I have no clue but there has to be a few nice bass in there.
>>
>>823860
dat boi thicc
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>823860
So much different from what I see here...
>>
>>823498
The librarians must be thankful
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 640x853px
>>823865
This particular pond seems to give the bluegills that real dark green but the bass here are almost gold in color
>>
>>823861
I'd guess the second one, anyone in Boca with a fishing interest is probably rich enough to deep sea. I'm a nub at fishing, what's a good set up for bass?
>>
>>823889
There's a million answers to that. But for fishing lakes like those- 6'6" medium rod, 30 or 3000 size reel, and 8lb test monofilament line will go a long way and should work for panfish up to carp, channel cats, and larger bass.
>>
>>823498
Wait

Do I tie my knots backwards? Why in #2 does it go out the back instead of over the front?
>>
>>823892
Youtube it maybe. Palomars are so easy to tie compared to a lot of other knots
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw big sis gets a new knoife

Gonna start a new thread soon and pass out after that
>>
>>823817
>>823819
The only bad thing about those blackouts is that on the casting rods sometimes the line will get stuck in the hook keeper. I never really have a problem on the spinning rod.
>>
>>823898
Same thing I mentioned with the Lightning Rods. I like how Abu puts them on the back.

I wish the Ugly Stiks had those type of hook keepers on them. My Fenwick just has the single loop too so can't hook weedless Texas rigs but that one has different action anyway where I don't like using it for shit on the bottom like the Texas rigs.
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 586x592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 586x592px
>>823902
>>
File: 0727162027-1.jpg (1MB, 1258x3974px) Image search: [Google]
0727162027-1.jpg
1MB, 1258x3974px
Freakin bowfin mane
>>
>>823846
You are just not understanding what I'm saying about the reels. It is nothing like that.
>>
>>823897

post more of her
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.