[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bow and arrows. Recurves, compounds, anything!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (87KB, 502x341px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 502x341px
>>
>>822973
Bump
>>
>>822973
>>>/k/
>>
File: DSC_0030.jpg (377KB, 693x712px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0030.jpg
377KB, 693x712px
>>
>>823372
>m'lady
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
>>823045
>>
>>823374
he looks pretty cute for an edgelord
>>
>>823377
There is no way that's not a man in disguise.
>>
>>823404
Does that matter?
>>
>>822973
I'm looking for a recurve or longbow type bow that has a hard draw and long draw length, you know the type that when it smacks your forearm you feel the tears in your eyes? what draw weight should i pick, i'm 184cm and weigh 70kg so don't say some crazy elephant bow type shit i only want to be able to kill rabbits, birds and maybe some deer and feel an obscene amount of pain when it hits my forearm
>>
>>823419
Yes, yes it does.
>>
>>824569
Bear Archery Super Kodiak. One piece bows have more reflex/deflex to them, making them a bit more snappy on release. Long bows tend to be easier to draw with less stacking so the string slap hurts less. A recurve with a lot of curl on the end will make you tear up when it hits your arm. Just invest in an arm guard and it won't hurt, also proper archery form, and you'll never hit your arm anyways. Besides that weird request, bear might have somewhat average bows, for a higher price point, but really good fucking warranty and customer service.
>>
>>824864
I forgot to add, avoid target bows, like the one in OP. They tend to have lighter draw weights and long limbs for smoother draws, this makes them harder to get around while hunting. Stick to a bow that's 56-64 inches in AMO length, and if you're new to archery start with the minimum draw weight for taking deer. (in BC it's 40 lbs, in some places in the US, it's as low as 35) Once you are used to this draw weight, look to increase it if you want in the future. (start too high and you can seriously fuck your shoulder up in the long run. High poundage doesn't mean you will kill the animal better.) also get a bow with reinforced limb tips so you can put a low stretch string on it. This increases your arrow speed by a very minute amount, but also makes it so you don't have to readjust your brace height or knocking point every 50 shots. If you just want to pick up your bow, grab arrows and fuck off, invest in a low stretch string.
>>
>>824569
i recently hit my arm with a whimpy 30 pound recurve and had a nice bruise for a few days
it taught me to watch my form and to adjust my brace height

also take a look at bearpaw or bodnik bows
they give a 30 year warranty on some of their bows
>>
>>824867
Avoid "traditional" accessories. Back quivers make arrows fucking noisy, and get caught up on brush easily. Bending forwards too far and the arrows will fall out seriously a bad idea if you're packing broadheads. My experience with back quivers hasn't been really that bad, but an attachable bow quiver or a hip quiver is honestly way better. If you really want to use a back quiver, get a 3 point harness style, and after you put in your arrows, fill the quiver in about two inches of sugarless wheat puffs or puffed rice. It'll dampen the sound a lot. I know this us way more than yoy asked for, but these answers tie into the fact you want to hunt small game and deer.
>>
>>824871
For game birds, rabbits, squirrels, and the like, get Judo points. They are a specially designed head that has hooks on the end that can instantly kill anything rabbit sized or smaller. The hooks are good for taking off heads on game birds, but their function is to catch the ground and stop quickly. Firing a broadhead or field point at a target low to the ground is asking to search for your arrow for like an hour. Arrows aren't cheap anymore, invest in a judo point. You'll save arrows, and net more kills on small targets. While we're here, look into buying "flu-flu" fletchings. They are a full sized fletching and will slow your arrow down and make more in-flight noise, but are ideal for taking birds in flight, or birds/animals in trees. If you miss with a flu-flu fletching you arrow won't go far. Miss with a regular arrow up in the air,and it can go for a half fucking mile. Stick to regular arrow fletchings when hunting animals fox sized or larger, as you need the penetrative power
>>
>>824879
Back to judo points. If you want "real" practise, when not hunting and get tired of foam archery targets, put a few judo points on (i recommend the carbon express "shocker" it has a flatter, wider head) and go into the forest/bush/clear cut and shoot at rotten tree stumps. It's amazing fun, practise, and exercise. Besides that, all your "targets" are at unknown distances.help with judgement since rabbits, deer and the like don't alway appear away from you, at distances you practise at, stationary at home. Also judo points simulate the space and weight a broadhead takes up, when shooting.
>>
>>824881
You'll want to use feather fletchings for your arrows if you shoot off the shelf, avoid plastic as it will harm your arrow flight. If you get a arrow rest that sticks up and out away from the bow, then plastic fletchings are alright. Never buy a bow brand new if it's your first time. Buy a well known good quality bow, second hand for cheap. You'll get to know what a good bow handles like before you purchase your own. A lot of people make the choice of buying a for example, Sammick sage and never try anything else. They miss out on knowing what a black widow, or bear archery or Hoyt or such feels like compared to the rest of the market. What's good about it? What's bad? Does it shoot good for you or like shit? How's the handle feel? Etc this way if you purchase your own or custom order or build your own, you're making a bow that's as close to perfect for you as you can get
>>
>>824882
Avoid mechanical broadheads with traditional archery. Mechanical broadheads are designed around arrow flight and speed, and traditional archery isn't about speed (mech heads are more for compound users which dominate the market) get a fixed blade broadhead, two or three blade styles don't have much differences between eachother. Carbon arrows can be the most durable, light and fastest shooting, and cheapest to buy, specially online. Aluminum are slower but have weight to them for good hitting power. The can be decently priced. Woods are the most traditional, least durable, and tend to be the hardest to get and most expensive UNLESS you plan on buying all the materials separately, and assembling your own. Aluminum are also considered very traditional, getting sort of the best of the carbon and wood positives, with minimal negative points. They're durable, priced decently, moderately fast in flight, and accept modern hunting accessories, where as woods don't normally without extra purchase
>>
>>824885
Aside from an arm guard you'll want a tab or finger shooting glove, or else you'll test your fingers all to shit when releasing the string. A right handed bow, is a bow where the arrow shelf is on the left side, and you draw the string with your right hand while holding the bow with your left. A left handed bow is all of the above, but opposites. Hold bow with right hand, shelf right side, draw string with left, etc
>>
>>824867
I remember when i was in Sweden i used a long bow that was an inch or so taller than me and pretty strong, that's my problem is that i have no idea what the numbers on a bow mean, i probably should go to my local hunting/outdoors store and try a few bows out, but i want a bow that can kill first, and is good for targets secondly.
>>
>>824889
Show a picture that shows every number on it, I can probably identify what it all means for you.
>>
>>824867
>>824871
>>824879
>>824881
>>824882
>>824885
>>824886
I'm probably gonna get a cheap bow with shitty cheap arrows first, and then when i actually get good with a bow i'll get a more expensive one that can be used for hunting
>>
>>824891
i went to Sweden 3 months ago, the only thing i remember was it said 72" on it which i assume is the length
>>
>>824891
That's a good way to go too, but remember you can always buy a good second hand bow for dirt cheap
>>
>>824892
Was it a recurve or long bow?
>>
>>824902
It was a long bow, i'm looking right now at a store's website and they have a Samick Volcano for 215eur and you specify the length, strength and whether left or right handed, i might get this one and eventually when i get better a few years down get a Hoyt Ignite or maybe get parts for it and assemble a Hoyt bow myself albeit the parts seem to be recurve
>>
>>824916
Stay between 60 and 64 inches in AMO bow length for hunting. There's such a thing as too long. Shorter bows stack faster, and are a tad faster, which helps for overdraw, longer bows have smoother draw, can be held for longer and are more forgiving when shooting. Longer than 64 inch and you have troubles with crouching shots, shooting from stands, and inside blinds. Your bow will tap or touch low hanging branches, or tall wheat/grass. It's a never ending string of trouble when it's too long.
>>
>>824925
I'm probably gonna get a 60-64 inch but whilst i will eventually use it for hunting i'll probably do a lot more of target practice than hunting until i get more confident with my shooting and posture, or i might just get a bow for practice and then just buy a Hoyt or PSE for hunting. My main problem is i have no idea how much strength it should have, i assume 50lbs might be ok for primarily target practice but also rabbits mostly
>>
>>824929
30-40 is fine for target practise. Where I live 40 is minimum for legal hunting. 40 is MORE than enough for rabbits. You're best off starting at the lowest legal limit of draw weight. 50 is a bit much for starting off. 40 can kill a deer and even black bear easily. I strongly urge you start lower, but within legal limits, you'll thank me later.
>>
>>824941
Well i might just end up getting a 35lbs then since i'll mostly hunt rabbits
>>
>>824569
S A M I C K S A G E

Dont let the other faggit turn you away from it. It is an excellent starter bow. The other guy is one of those "proshop shills" that believe if you're not giving up an arm & leg then your equipment is subpar.
>>
>>825054
Well how about a Samick Volcano with a 62" and 35lbs draw weight? As much as i'd love something like a Hoyt Ignite or similar, i don't intend on buying the best and most expensive bow as a starter in case i lose interest or damage it i'd rather lose 200 eur rather than 300-400 eur
>>
>>825056
Dunno about the volcano. Im a newfag to archery and i went for a 45# 62" Sage. Dont know about the volcano but with the sage you can start with a low draw weight (25#) and after you get used to it you can swap out for heavier arms (up to 55#) and still keep you riser. The new arms are about $75usd.
>>
>>825054
Not a postoperative shill. I literally recommended he go review good bows and buy one second hand so he knows what he wants in the future, i even explained custom made ones. Learn to read.
>>
>>823372
>The posture
>The fashion
>The apathetic stare

10/10 would innawoods and platonically cuddle to conserve heat with

>n-no homo
>>
So im a decent Rifle/Crossbow Shooter but I would like to get into the Bow stuff,what would be suitable for 5-7 day trips, can take a litte beating.
Should be collapsible and not cost more then 250-300$. (Just small Game, eg. Rabbits)
>>
>>826649
thanks anon
>>
>>824891
Samick Sage.

>Cheap
>Good Quality
>Many different limb weights to choose from
>Cheap
>>
>>822973
>>823372
>>
File: DSC_0232.jpg (675KB, 2796x1363px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0232.jpg
675KB, 2796x1363px
>>827966
>>826649
>>
>>827966
>>827993
Lol are you the guy who posted of pic of himself holding his bow by the string?
>>
>>828079
We are different guys but I believe he is that guy
>>
>2016
>not learning how to make your own bow like your ancestors did for thousands of years.
>>
I shoot a recurve and have some old straight edge broad heads. I can sharpen them to a razor edge. Would it be ethical/effective if I hunted deer and elk with those broad heads? I know a lot of people use the three edged heads now.
>>
>>827993
>>827966

>>828079
They appear to be different people
>>
>>828079
no, i'm not.
>>
>>822973

how effective would a prim tech bow be for hunting?
>>
>>828503
As effective as they were in paleo times, I suppose.
>>
File: flint arrow wound.jpg (89KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
flint arrow wound.jpg
89KB, 850x638px
>>828358
Yes, people used to hunt with flint arrow heads all the time. Just be a good shot and it will work
>>
>>827540
Hoyt sell parts for bows like limbs and the handle so you could get that, or the Ignite is fairly cheap but it's a compound so i doubt it's collapsible
>>
>>827948
I'll see if i can find that model here in Slovenia, but i'll probably get the volcano
>>
>>828723
for the money you could get a bearpaw crow with 30 years warranty
its also 58 inches
>>
>>828285
I have a bow i made myself from ironwood, i'd just prefer to have a proper made bow
>>
>>828732
>BSW
meinNeger.jpg
>>
>>828079
Yes, I am
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.