[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 97

File: image.jpg (138KB, 620x616px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 620x616px
#69-"Bags over Boxes" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>816132

Post you're tackle bags! Still using an old school tackle box? It might be time for a change. It is 2011+5 after all. Backpacks with flat Plano boxes are also acceptable.

Pastebin and Imgur are still up (now including the San Diego Jam Knot)
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk fishin'
>>
>>818002
I remember reading the Maine law on it, and I think common split shots were one of the worst for the birds so you have to buy steel ones.

And some places they aren't banned from the whole state but certain bodies of water ban them. Dumbass loons.
>>
Does anyone use fishingreminder?

I honestly feel discouraged to go out and fish when it reads 'poor day'.
>>
>>818012
Nah. I downloaded some apps like that but never really used them. I guess it could encourage to get out on a good day when I am feeling lazy. But I wouldn't want it to discourage me on a poor day.
>>
>>818006
>pic
>dat shadow bush
>>
File: fishin.jpg (40KB, 398x600px) Image search: [Google]
fishin.jpg
40KB, 398x600px
I got an older Shakespeare 16.5 foot wonderpole given to me. It makes bluegill and sunfish almost too easy. That channel cat I hooked with it was like picking up a brick though. Anyone using jigging poles?
>>
File: bead.jpg (33KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
bead.jpg
33KB, 500x365px
What is the purpose of the bead in this pic?
>>
>>818067
I've never really understood the long long long pole thing. Jigging really is about all you can do well with them of course. Every other use can be done using a normal rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMi-gDooIS4
>>
>>818078
added color and flash
>>
>>818079
I had one years ago that worked really well for crappie. You could drop a jig through tangled branches where you'd never reach otherwise.

I rig this pole with a bobber, weight, and hook and catch little bluegill to use as cut bait. Almost too easy when you can see them through the water.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
Been doing a lot of fishing lately, new video soon.
>>
>>818111
Is that a goby?
>>
File: IMAG0700.jpg (2MB, 5079x1791px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0700.jpg
2MB, 5079x1791px
>>818078
bling

>>818079
watched a guy kill slabs on one of those. they have their place even if they look ridiculous.
i see them on ebay cheap
>>
Can I get some advice for hook setting a bass?

I'm using a Texas rigged 5" senko on a 3/0 J hook - 10lb braid
Bass having been inhaling the whole thing in one motion, so the first time I feel something, it's already in their mouths.

>If I set the hook immediately, it seems to come flying out of their mouths and I lose them.
>If I pause a moment before setting the hook, they will be gut hooked.

How the hell does this seemingly simple thing work? I always pull hard to a 2 o'clock position but I just can not get a good hookset.

Would fishing closer be helpful? Maybe I'm casting too far away.
>>
>>818157
Try either a bigger hook or worm so they don't swallow it on the first try
>>
>>818157
J hook? Like an Aberdeen hook?
>>
File: for-beginners.jpg (45KB, 380x186px) Image search: [Google]
for-beginners.jpg
45KB, 380x186px
>>818175
>>
File: image.jpg (986KB, 3264x1807px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
986KB, 3264x1807px
>>818192
I think you should get on some EWG offset worm hokks for the Texas rigs
>>
Daily reminder that pepsifag stuck his dick in a bass's mouth and tried to get it to thrash around.
>>
>>818249
> implying we haven't all done this at least twice.
>>
>>818249
I prefer carp.
>>
Daily reminder that Pepsifag slipped some baitfish into a condom and stuck it up his ass so he could feel them squirm around.
>>
>>818266
See
>>818252
>>
>>818254
I actually used to have .gif of a guy getting his dick sucked by a carp. Fuck was that funny to see
>>
>>818266
Why would I use a condom? Feels better without.
>>
>>818213
oh I do use EWG - should've specified

>EWG J-Hook

More appropriate name would be question mark hook huh? but technicalities.
>>
>>818295
Are they offset shank hooks like in that pic?
>>
File: image.jpg (7KB, 257x258px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7KB, 257x258px
>>818295
>>818308
Like this
>>
Daily reminder that Pepsi fag tried to impregnate a female bass using nothing but a syringe and his semen.
>>
>>818315
Too much work.

I squeeze the bass until the eggs pop out and just jerk off all over the pile of eggs. Kinda messy.

Didn't have any luck this year. I can't wait until next spring when they are fertile again.
>>
File: 1465684435876.jpg (50KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1465684435876.jpg
50KB, 640x640px
>>818315
>not knowing how fish spawn
>>
>>818313
yes, tried both offset and offset EWG
>>
>>818078
Noise

>>818316
Literally laughed out loud
>>
>>818342
Ehh, just timing then. Avoid casting with a cross-wind, it will be easier to feel bites and set the hook in a timely manner. Otherwise get on dat braid, you will be able to feel the bites even easier ;^)

>>818384
I was still trying to find a pic of the River Rigs just like we used to use. It was similar to those 3-way rigs, but had 2-3 hooks and would have Lindy Rig type shit with spinner blades and beads. I was talking to my old neighbor who ran those and he just called em "River Rigs".
>>
File: screaming-kid.jpg (79KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
screaming-kid.jpg
79KB, 500x333px
>go to the docks
>family there with three kids, maybe 7 years old
>one of them keeps screeching "DADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I GOT A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE"
>never catches anything but continues screaming anyway, eventually stops fishing and starts wandering around looking into the water
>claims he sees a big fish and screeches for his parents
>immediately grab my line and quickly tie a texas rig since the spot was weedy as fuck
>hear a loud splash
>kid threw a fucking rock at it in the water and it darted off
>fish the weeds for a bit and land a smallmouth
>second kid keeps destroying her rod with every cast, tangling it in ridiculous messes and ended up throwing her rod into the water, while screeching "HELP I DONT KNOW HOW TO CASTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED" and ends up spilling a container of minnows
>didn't even realize they had a third kid until I saw him
>third kid is quiet
>hes in the zone the entire time
>keeps gazing at the skies like he wants god to personally appear and slaughter his siblings
>ends up catching a pretty well sized smallmouth
>gets into an argument with his brother who claims his dad actually caught his bass because he was the one who unhooked it, starts crying that he didn't catch any fish, then goes to pout inside the family vehicle
>girl starts crying because the waves splashed her feet and shes scared of water

I honestly don't understand how parents do it
>>
>>818411
You really need to nip it in the bud before it reaches that point.
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 600x393px
>>818411 #
Not sure how you stayed anywhere near that fishing spot for more than 30 seconds.

I think adopting a kid who is already like 10-11 years old is the best bet. They are past a lot of that little kid BS.

>>818342 #
Also you know you should be using the offset worm hooks (pic related) all the time when doing weedless Texas rigs, right? Just making sure you know after all this talk about "J hooks"
>>
>>818419
>>818423
>>818424

I lasted about an hour, I left once this shit happened;

>parent pulls the smallmouth out of the water
>thought he knew what he was doing since he didn't say anything, just "alright, let's get him free"
>kept fishing
>look back
>easily 15 minutes have passed
>he's STILL trying to get the hook out of the fish
>he finally gets it out
>throws it back in the water
>it just kind of floats there, clearly dead
>"Oops, looks like we killed it kids! (loud chuckle)"
>kid says "AWWWWWWWWWWW I WANTED TO PUT IT IN A FISH BOOOOOOOOOWL"

like if you clearly don't know what you're doing why don't you fucking ask someone? I would have readily unhooked it if he had just asked
>>
>>818432
How do you not know how to unhook a fish? its not like it's a two step process
>>
>>818432
Clearly a great parent!
>tfw we now have these millenial kids having kids
What a scary thought.
>>
>>818411
The instant I see other humans from where I'm fishing I leave and find another spot. This saves tons of trouble and annoyance. I also get to fish instead of talking or being assailed by idiots.

>>818423
>>818424
>I think adopting a kid who is already like 10-11 years old is the best bet. They are past a lot of that little kid BS.

But, then they are programmed with other people's BS.

>>818436
You know that 1980s music? That's dadcore music now.
>>
>>818435

I think it was gut hooked. Had his hand in it kind of deep.

Even still, he had scissors on him and he could have just used some common sense and trimmed the line/pulled it out by the hook
>>
File: IMG_20160715_205628.jpg (5MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160715_205628.jpg
5MB, 4640x3480px
Taught a family how to cast and how to wacky rig. Saw the mom again today and told me the kids caught a ton of fish bc of me.

I didn't catch anything today but it was nice to hear that. Do you guys usually help noobs?
>>
How do you actually reel in a carolina rig?

Steady speed? Fast? Slow? Do you bob it up and down with your rod?

I'm kind of confused because most fishing guides don't really mention reeling it in
>>
>>818475
From my understanding you don't reel it in until you get a fish on the line. The bait is supposed to just sit there and float up until a fish bites. That said, my brother has hooked a nice bass by slow retrieving it. He was using power bait eggs
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 960x949px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 960x949px
Yo muhfuckas, can I get sum tips on shore fishing in South Carolina this time of year? What's running and what bait should I use? I'm running a two hook fish finder with live pinfish unless I hear otherwise
>>
>>818471
if theyre pleasent definatley, fuck il give peope lures ( provided i have extras ) if i really like them and half the time i go on party boats i spend half my time untangling qts lines
>>
>>818501
>i spend half my time untangling qts lines

I just use a lighter and scold them for getting it tangled.
>>
File: smallmouthlg.jpg (23KB, 600x324px) Image search: [Google]
smallmouthlg.jpg
23KB, 600x324px
>shore fishing today
>water is super clear to about 5 feet down
>see 2 medium sized smallmouths swimming together
>watch them for a bit
>don't even cast because I feel like they're buddies (or lovers) and I'm worried I'll separate them
>watch them swim away

what's wrong with me /out/. My heart is bleeding.
>>
>>818515
What's the big deal? You didn't want to catch them so you didn't, who cares?
>>
4 bass and 1 bluegill in a half hour fishing this evening

Still no monster and I know there's monsters in the pond I fished
>>
>>818547
1 bass and 4 bluegill in 5 minutes fishing today. Get gud
>>
>>818515
Sometimes i talk to fish. I usually scold them for swallowing the hook.
>>
>>818572
Not him but I always talk to the fish too

Especially if they're thrashing around when I'm trying to lip them I'll tell them to calm down
>>
Guy from last thread. I went out to specifically catch eels to test them out.

Ok, ran a heavier setup on a 20 lbs test backed by a 45 lber using (i'm not a proper fisherman by any means) #8 treble hooks in hopes of actually hooking an eel and not having him let go of my bait as soon as he gets above water. a 1.5 ft eel, again, versus a medium-small croaker, hit way harder. Bait used was squid otherwise eel absolutely DESTROY shrimp, I've learned. Squid has the right toughness, and eels do kiddy bites on it before you hook, then they go absolutely batshit.

I think these motherfuckers do what snakes do. I observed one of the dock before i through him back. He put himself into an "S" and this, of course, would cause spring force to be used like a snake pouncing would, but instead they probably use it to attack prey or get the hell out of dodge. With increased propulsion underwater, of course.

Is this a valid theory? Anyone here that catch em often have any input? I have no idea why i'm obsessed with this. It's starting to make me think eels are the superior species of fish for some odd reason.
>>
>>818603

People here usually catch saltwater eels for bait. They do put up a good fight for their size, and a lot of people will run very heavy or wire leader because of the teeth.
>>
>>818471
I try not to fish at places where I would run into a mom and her kids fishing. But I'm always letting people use my shit or at least will set up some Texas rigs for them. I gave my lil bro so much stuff to try and get him into it. And if I go out with Miami anons or somebody from work, my tackle bag is open if they want to use some shit.
>>
>>818078
>purpose of bead
It essentially mimics the eye when you're using bait. Honestly beaded hooks are GOAT. I spent 2 hours one day with no bite. Switched to a beaded hii-lo hook set and have been killing it ever since.
>>
>>818271
I have kept that gif on every phone
>>
Gonna post my fishing adventure day 2:

Second trip is out on duke island park/raritan river.
I hunted some spots on google maps, two sandbars east and west.
Made the mistake of going to the east one first, where the water was very shallow. I should have brought waders,
but I thought the water would be deeper.

It was deeper on the west part i scoped out, by a small dam. Only problem was that there were already two guys fishing there, and I decided to go to a little spot ontop of the dam where I caught some sunnies.

Once it's getting late and tired of the tight spot im in, i go back to the bottom of the dam to see if one of those guys left, but they're still fishing. I know how rude it is to fish next to another guy, but these guys dont seem to mind each other at least. I go down as far as possible on the rocky sand back and start to cast in a nice sized depression in the river. I would have rather fished right into the dam's bottom pool, and in the spot i was in only caught sunnies again (also a minnow)

A problem I noticed was how bad I am at tying knots, and realized that I lost a nice hook and one of my soft plastics because of the knot I made.

>>818572
"give me that hook or ill just leave you on as live bait"
>>
>>818730
you can just use any bead right, like one for those children's bracelets. how would you also tie it to the line? Can you just let it slip around or does it have to be tight and right next to the hook?
>>
File: kid.jpg (2MB, 1560x2664px) Image search: [Google]
kid.jpg
2MB, 1560x2664px
>>818411
>I honestly don't understand how parents do it

You raise your kids to not behave like this, that's how I did it.

Not my kid in the pic but I've seen this face hundreds of times on both of my kids faces. Makes fixing tangles, lost gear, and skunked trips worth it.
>>
File: whaaaat.png (197KB, 475x365px) Image search: [Google]
whaaaat.png
197KB, 475x365px
>>818443
>>818443
>You know that 1980s music? That's dadcore music now

TFW you realize Nirvana is the current generation's Led Zepplin.
>>
MY BOYS

>>818067
>>818079

on the other hand, i just got a 4'7" ul rod from walmart it was like an 18$ combo.

super fun for crappie and lmb

who has an ultralight? what kind should i get if i want a goodun
>>
>>818743
You don't have to do the bead. But if you want to, I grabbed a pack of assorted colored small glass beads from Walmart in the craft section for like $2.

>>818751
I have a 5' Ugly Stik with a Shimano Sienna 500. I think I would do a 1000 next time because the 500 is so small it just doesn't feel natural. I would really like to try one of those 7'+ UL rods. The 5' is fine for flicking light stuff under trees and along the shore but a 7'3" could be fun. A couple anons have some Okuma rod like that and it's supposed to be gud.
>>
>>818743
Bead is pre-rigged on the ones I buy but you could run line though the bead before you tie the hook. They do 'float/slip' up and down the line so no need to tie it in place.
>>
File: image.jpg (220KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220KB, 640x1136px
>tfw just scoped a couple lakes that look perfect for sumn shore casting for bass
I wish my route was closer to my house. Or if I had my fishing stuff with me. This one lake is tucked behind a building, no "No Fishing" signs, some weeds and cover for little fish, slightly murky, not too small or fuckhueg, and it is clear to walk around
>>
I just found out my favorite new fishing spot isn't on county property, it's privately owned. I've been going there for weeks. I clean up trash others have left and there's been a lot of it. Looks like there's a LOT of others that fish there and they probably don't have permission either. I guess I'll just keep going until I get asked to leave? There's no signs, no fence, just a well used lane to the pond right off the public road. No houses in sight. What would anon do?
>>
>>818788
sort of depends i guess. Id contact the owner and ask if you can fish there, while stating you dont mean to do anything shitty and have good fishing manners. State you cleaned up after previous fishermen that used the site.

But really in this case ill just keep going there; no signs or anything means it's probably easy to say "oh i didnt know this was private" How did you find out it was private anyways?
>>
>>818795
>How did you find out it was private anyways?
Tax maps online. I was using the system to find new ponds, making a list, and plan to occasionally stop by new places to ask for permission. Fingers crossed, with one exception the lakes in my area are all overfished. LOTS of ponds on private property. I figure the worst they can say is no.

Well, except that one time a guy blocked the only road out and put a shotgun in my face.
>>
>>818796
>Well, except that one time a guy blocked the only road out and put a shotgun in my face.

sounds like fun
>>
>>818411

>I honestly don't understand how parents do it

A swift ass kicking worked pretty well for me.
>>
>>818796
Got any rivers nearby? There's no natural ponds where I live but tons of rivers with parks alongside them. The fishing is almost always better since they can't get cleaned out
>>
>>818797
>on dead end road with young son and friend
>that pond looks awesome
>drive to dead end and figure out it's on private property and not the federal land just east of it
>lets check the house
>big truck in road
>no way around without leaving road and going into field
>stop and walk to house
>shotgun.webm
>"hey, just thought we'd ask if we could fish"
>geddout.wav
>"ok, we didn't mean to cause any problems....think you could move your truck?"
>"ok"
>engage 4x4
>floor it, ramp ditch, go around truck
>go to sheriff's department
>"yes, i'd like to speak with an officer about unlawful detention and unlawful use of weapons"
>file report
>couple of hours later phone rings
>deputy dog says they talked to him and he admitted everything, do I want to press charges
>tell him if he lets me fish in his pond I won't press charges
>some time passes, dep. dog says he agreed
>never going back there anyway

I talked to the officer about it a few months later. He's went to prison for meth shortly afterwords, house abandoned....but I still have permission to fish there so I may go back lol. Too bad it's a half hour away.
>>
File: reduced2.jpg (921KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
reduced2.jpg
921KB, 1500x844px
>>818796
to share a trespassing story, there's this quarry on the other side a a park i go to. like 50 yards off the trail you just need to climb up a steep hill and there's you are sitting on the top of the edge of the quarry.

I did this about twice until bringing a friend, and that time a truck comes riding up and a dude tells us the obvious problem and how dangerous it is if a blast goes off.

He said he had cops alerted and had them ready at the parking spot, pointing in the wrong direction (the wrong one and one of the three) Basically, this guy did this crap before and knew how to make sure no one came back without dealing with any actual law.

Once we said we're just from the nature trail from the park and that we didnt see any signs, he just let us go and white privilege saved the day.

pic related is one of the views
>>
>>818800
3 rivers, all bordered by private property except for one that enters a major lake. The lake is surrounded by public property and is completely accessible but it's quite a distance away.
>>
>>818805
Damn, do you think your police report caused the meth bust or something?

Id feel bad about that but yet again meth + bad gun handling.

Also it sounds like he didnt put his truck there to block you, he just parked it there casually. And probably took out his gun since he normally thinks he's alone.
>>
File: glock.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
glock.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>818810
The guy was obviously a meth head. Probably just a matter of time before he was busted. Just checked the public records and it says he was sentenced on precursors so I figure he was taking anhydrous since he's in the middle of corn fields.

He certainly put the truck there to block us. He was waiting at the door with a gun and there was no reasonable way around his truck unless you were driving a vehicle like we were.

I could certainly feel my inner /k/ tingling in my waistband. Pic related.
>>
>>818751
Honestly, ive had the best luck with the in store Cabelas brand ultra light rod reel combos. I usually go with a 5 or 5.5' single piece if you can.
>>
>>818819
i c, well this goes to show that trespassing can be worse than just a "no please leave my property" be careful anon
>>
>>818751
I have an okuma say 7 ft 6 ultralight

It's crazy fun, you're able to cast small things a mile and small fish put a bend in the rod, though it will handle fish that are somewhat larger ( largest I've caught with mine is 3.5 lbs ) so far
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I need to stop spending money on fishing Jesus Christ does it add up quick.
>>
Is there a way, other than eyeballing it and guessing, to measure/remotely estimate the depth of a body of water without a boat? I've been fishing this pond that seems to be bottomless and most ponds in my area of the same size aren't over 20 feet deep at the most. I can cast a large sinker out to the middle (125ish feet out) and the line just keeps dropping and dropping and dropping until it's at about a 60 degree angle. You can feel the edge reeling up and it's STEEP. I wonder what lunkers are down there!!!
>>
>>818851
There is this thing called the ibobber that you hook to your line and when you cast it out it will show on your phone the depth, temp, bottom conditions etc.
>>
>>818853
Neat. Not $100 I'm gonna spend but still neat.

I've thought about tying on a sinker and slip bobber and just keep casting and lengthening the depth but thought maybe there would be something I"m overlooking.
>>
>>818856
yea its kinda gimmicky especialy for $100. not really worth it imo. better off just tying on a drop shot sinker and casting out
>>
File: 456.jpg (58KB, 594x439px) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
58KB, 594x439px
>>818853
>>
>>818846
Wut Gambler baits did you get? You use any of em yet?
>>
>>818859
I dont see you offering any advice, at least I tried to help
>>
>>818862
Big EZ swimbaits. Ive used their trick worms in the past but ive never tried these yet, figured id give em a shot
>>
File: 5009c543ccd44_58893b.jpg (265KB, 1017x1500px) Image search: [Google]
5009c543ccd44_58893b.jpg
265KB, 1017x1500px
>>818863
It has nothing to do with you and everything to do wit "ibobber". Humans are fucking worthless. People may as well stay home and play one of these in their recliner.
>>
>>818851
most bodies of water have depth charts. Check town's website or search the googles. If it's that deep I'm betting a chart exists.
>>
>>818877
It's just a pond by the interstate. No maps to be found.
>>
>>818876
all it is is a bobber with a sensor on the bottom of it that sends a signal to your phone. its no different then a fish finder on a boat but more shitty obviously
>>
>>818865
Yeah I like their swimbaits. Thats what I have. There are some cool colors, the tails are long and have a lot of action, and they are fairly large. I can't wait til fall and winter when bass will hit swimbaits more.
>>
>>818876
I......I play one of those in my recliner......
>>
>>818876
Is there a trout or saltwater version?
>>
>>818884
Fish finders are lumped into the same category of disdain.

If they want such assured fishing results they should make their own aquaculture pond. Those are still a blast, but you don't have to "find" the fish.

>>818890
Yes, and yes.
>>
>>818900
>>818876
>fishing games

kek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPu_2hPW5II
>>
>>818905
Forgot the game link. It is free to play and multiplayer:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/380600
>>
>>818900
>settle down to an afternoon of virtual trolling
4chan
>>
>>818914
kek
>>
>>818884
It would be cool to have a fishfinder that was possible to use from shore. Not so much to find the fish, but to see what the structure is likes. Or have topographic maps with vegetation for every little lake.

A lot of lakes around me are the ones I always bitch about where they are real clear, it is 2' deep and weedy until you get ~10' from shore, and then it drops off really deep. It is so difficult to find good fishing spots in these things.
>>
>>818636
How do you even feel them at that point? They never take the bait too hard and their bodies are small enough to not get a proper hook in when hooking.

I want to catch a fuckhuge eel now and experience a crazy fucking fight. I've only gone bass fishing twice, and I was told they hit like trucks, but I've had more issue with pike of similar size.

If I could catch a 15-20 lbs eel on medium-light tackle, it'd be one of the best fights of my short fishing career.

Hell, i caught a 1 foot bonnethead and I was told hammerhead type sharks have great fights yet I was disappointed in the lil fella.Rays don't even feel like they want to live. There's just something I love about the unorthodox tug these slimy gross fucks pull on me. It's just straight up FUN.
>>
>>818900
Boat mounted fish finders are almost an essential for some species. I most wade but when I take my boat out its for stripers and catfish. Finding suspended stripers without a fish finder is extremely inefficient and good luck guessing what the bottom is like in 80ft of water.

I catch bigger fish more often with my fish finder and, as a bonus, I've now got most of my local water body bottoms mapped out and saved on my computer.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>818975
Those eels sound fun. I bet they feel like the sneks when you catch them. They sorta swim the same, long muscular body where they use the whole thing to swim and they like to dig down.
>>
>>818976
I think it is more of a time of day thing. You know where they are going to be by what time it is. Like for catfish you wait in the shallows for them to come in and hunt other fish. They do that 5pm to 5am and have about 3 times when they are their most active then. Striped bass are the same. If you want the monsters, start fishing at night in 10 feet or less water using an eel as bait. They will be upwards of 5 feet long.
>>
>>818975

Most of the eels here are moray eels that are like 3-5ft in length. You will absolutely feEl when they bite.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw you are about to huck a rod into the lake because the wind is pissing you off so much

Got a bunch of solid bites, should've landed at least 3 more bass. Of course the one I got in was the smallest of them. It sucks because the one shoreline where I could possibly cast with the wind is such a long walk.
>>
I've been fishing for about 10 years and have never used a leader, except for a wire trace when going after pike or zander. Is a leader really essential? I like in the UK and maybe the species here don't need a leader but American species do.
>>
>>819083
Many saltwater fish need leaders because of sharp teeth. You also need leaders when fishing in areas with lots of obstacles (piers,reefs) and when catching snook because they have sand paper mouths and sharp gill plates.
>>
Fuck that wind. I was at the lake with the big bass and they were actually biting pretty good. But I was fishing Texas rigged stuff and it was so hard to set the hook right with a steady 15mph wind.

Fishing is supposed to be relaxing and now I'm just pissed off.

>>819083
In freshwater around here, gar can fuck up your line. Snakeheads can have some teeth too but normally not nearly as bad as the gar.

Flourocarbon leaders can be good on braid main line if the fish are really line shy. And if you are casting heavy weight on braid or going for heavy fish, a mono shock leader will help create a bungee effect so there isn't so much stress on the line.

If fishing saltwater (besides toothy fish) a flourocarbon or wire leadercan be useful around sharp rocks or coral.
>>
File: 1468595116507.jpg (69KB, 1845x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468595116507.jpg
69KB, 1845x1080px
Caught 9 mackerel the other day. Was pretty fun
>>
>>819083
Well, you have steel for any big lures in case of pike, and usually people use a fluorocarbon leader cause its less visible if they use a braided main line for perch.

stuff like roach bream tench etc people usually use a "leader" thats a bit weaker than the main line so in case it breaks you dont lose too much line and the fish also doesnt carry like 20m of line with him.

for carp you have leadcore as a leader so the line near the rig is flat on the ground and camouflaged.
>>
File: 1383513421209.png (33KB, 155x177px) Image search: [Google]
1383513421209.png
33KB, 155x177px
>>819110
>eating macks
>>
>>819149
Steve Harvey doesn't like mackerel? I thought they were a popular fish to eat.
>>
>>819149
>not eating mackerel
They're delicious
>>
File: PC241191r.jpg (172KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
PC241191r.jpg
172KB, 1000x750px
>>818975
Here's a couple of pike eels I caught in QLD, Australia. The brag mat is in cm, biggest eel was about 135cm (almost 4.5'). These were caught on light shark gear (40lb) so didn't put up a huge fight. Biggest one I've caught was just under 2m long and weighed 11kg, I don't have a picture of it unfortunately. They make fantastic shark bait (as do all species of eel).

I have a bit of a soft spot for eels as well, especially the freshwater ones. Some of them travel more than 10000km from where they're born in the open ocean. I'll see if I've got anymore eel pics on my old SD cards that I'll post up.
>>
File: 1383674277506.jpg (190KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
1383674277506.jpg
190KB, 621x621px
>>819162
>>
File: reboot.jpg (41KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
reboot.jpg
41KB, 184x184px
>>819064
I've noticed you often place fish on the ground while taking a picture - do you release these fish? Putting them on the ground knocks off their protective slime cover, making the fish vulnerable to infection.

If you're keeping/eating the fish, then nevermind.
>>
>>819186
I had this exact discussion with him a few weeks ago. the slime layer on the fish he is catching is so minimal that laying them in the grass wont affect them at all.
>>
>>819186
>Putting them on the ground knocks off their protective slime cover, making the fish vulnerable to infection.
you the kind of person who tells people not to rescue young birds because the mother will "reject" them arent you
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>819186
It's not enough to make a difference, people just want to bitch about something.
>>
File: IMAG0679.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0679.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
I'm up in BC on vacation, went out fly fishing with a guide today but didn't catch anything. But it was still pretty fun, got to practice fly casting at least and the lake was beautiful. I need to get some waders and a fly rod at home, and maybe one of the tube things we used today because that was pretty comfy.
>>
File: heart.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
heart.png
6KB, 300x300px
>>819207
>It's not enough to make a difference
This sounds like a personal opinion rather than a scientific study backed by data.

>people just want to bitch about something.
Nah. I like fish. So when people were never taught how to properly handle a to-be-released fish, I try and educate
>>
>>819217
its pretty scientific when ive caught literally hundreds upon hundreds of fish. several different species. bass have almost zero slime layer, get over it.
>>
>>819217
It's really not that big of a deal with bass compared to something like trout. Obviously, if you can, you should try to keep as much of the slime coat intact, but I don't worry about it too much.
>>
>>819200
>>819207
Incorrect, but it doesn't fucking matter since they are fish. Humans have the God-given right to do anything they want to animals.
>>
>>819207
>not enough to make a difference
You say this only to justify your need for gratification of taking/posting a picture.

I fish alone most times. I don't give a fuck about taking a picture. I certainly don't need someone on the internet saying "nice fish". I unhook anything I''m not keeping and get it back in the water.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>819228
This is true. Not like I'm sliding them up and down through the grass and purposely trying to wipe the shit off. Or scraping them on hot cement. I lay em in the grass for 10sec, take a pic, unhook them, and let them go. People here read into shit too much. Grass is pretty soft. If these bass can go running through it trying to chase food, I'm sure they will be ok laying on it for a few seconds.

>>819229
You also don't go fishing much at all. Just hang around here and complain about everything. Have another picture.
>>
>>819229
wow good for you champ! just because you like to fish a certain way doesnt mean everyone must fish exactly like you. I take a picture of every fish i catch but never post them. wanna know why? because I fucking can. deal with it pussy
>>
>>819228
>says its incorrect
>submits no evidence as to why that might be

we got some real anglers in the thread tonight I see
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>819235
I try to keep the lures in the pic too. It's fun seeing what I was catching on what days, and then seeing what lures they were hitting.

I smoked too much pot in my late teens and early 20s so my memory isn't the best.
>>
>>819241
yea I do the same thing. I have a folder on my phone that I use to catalog all of my catches and what I used to catch them with. it helps me remember what was working at that time of year since obviously it says the time and date each pic was taken
>>
File: helliamg.jpg (39KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
helliamg.jpg
39KB, 1024x768px
>>819228
>I can treat nature however I want want 'cause I'm at the top of the food chain
>yfw
>>
>>819221
>its pretty scientific
>ive caught literally hundreds upon hundreds of fish

saying this is not presenting data. you're providing an anecdote. you do realize that...right? telling a story without presenting us with data is not science.
>>
>>819262
having your hand physically on a fish hundreds of times would give you a pretty good sense of what variability there is when it comes to a fishes slime layer. If you wernt a retard you would understand that bass are constantly brushing up against things in the water resulting in them having very little slime layer. If you catch a fish like a pike or a trout you obviously must take more care to not put them down or get them mis-handle them
>>
>>819273
Laying them on the ground may not be a huge problem but it certainly is not good for them either. You can not argue against this.

If you can skip doing something that is not good for fish, then you should do so.

/end of discussion
>>
>>819233
>don't go fishing much at all
have your 'you'
>>819235
>everyone must fish exactly like you
show me where I stated anything remotely like this. I dont care how the fuck you or anyone else fishes as long as:
1) you don't invade my space
2) you don't poach undersized fish
3) you don't leave trash and other shit when you go
4) you don't throw back half dead mistreated fish
>>
>>819275
i never said it was good for the fish to lay it on the ground... I said it wasnt a big deal. In fact I personally dont lay my fish down. I have no problem just extending my arm and taking a picture.
>>
>>819233
>Grass is pretty soft. If these bass can go running through it trying to chase food, I'm sure they will be ok laying on it for a few seconds.
there's a big difference between dry grass and wet grass. the difference is water. I'm pretty shocked at how ignorant you sound right now dude...good lord.
>>
Distressed/stressed fish = potential disease breakouts.

Ichthyology 101
>>
>>819262

...I don't think anyone actually has done much actual research on it, but when I was working at an aquarium it really wasn't that big a deal.
>>
>>819285

Also, nobody fucking cares what you think*
>>
File: 1457407825337.jpg (24KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1457407825337.jpg
24KB, 400x225px
>>819280
>>
File: madass.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
madass.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>819287
>>
>>819284
I doubt it'll make much of a difference in a lake.
>>
>>819285
http://www.arkansasstripers.com/fish-slime-coat.htm
>>
>>819294
The smaller the body of water the faster it can happen.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
People complaining about slime layers but not realizing we're all poking holes in fishs' mouths, a few that we are pulling out if their spawning beds open to egg eaters, etc

Fishing causes slight damage no matter what you do, just get over it and be happy we aren't fishing rivers and lakes dry unlike industrial fishing
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>819306
I was gonna quote this one >>819284 and say something about how not like we're exactly friends with the fish in the first place.

Next let's argue for half a thread about why I should stop killing bowfins and hooking lures through my line guides...
>>
File: 1451177873856.gif (848KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
1451177873856.gif
848KB, 665x662px
>>819303
Y-YOU YOU MONSTER!!!!!!! YOUR KILLING THE FUCKING FISH HOLY FUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>819312
NOOOO!!!
>>
>>819315
You're a cunt for killing those fish.

It's one thing to kill them quietly because they're a pest, but you take pleasure from it because you're a sick fuck who gets off on it.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>819318
4u

I would rather not have to deal with killing em. But the first one I ever caught, I didn't know exactly what it was until I got home and did a little google-fu and I felt guilty throwing it back.

You're an angry person. Have you looked into some meds? There are some great designer drugs on the market these days with minimal side effects.
>>
>>819320
Drive off a bridge you stupid cunt, the world doesn't need people like you.
>>
I would occasionally lurk these threads for fun and knowledge, but now Fishing & Tackle General has gone full Thermidore and it sucks
>>
File: 1459442952238.jpg (40KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1459442952238.jpg
40KB, 657x527px
>>819320
I like how their mouths get distorted when they get kill. remind me of pic related
>>
For every snakehead you guys have been killing for the past 80 some threads (before you started keeping count), I've been releasing a few snakeheads in to a new local waterway.
>>
>>819315
>>819320
Those poor bowfin :'(
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 476x713px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 476x713px
>>819322
Thanks to our resident anon shitposter...
>>
File: 1467594708454.png (96KB, 1556x532px) Image search: [Google]
1467594708454.png
96KB, 1556x532px
>>819327
>image.jpg
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>819325
I hope you are ready for some good fights in the future.

Protip: they love Meppsâ„¢

>>819324
A couple of them is from their skull just getting fucked. If there's a rock nearby, I will drop that on em to knock them out, then just try and get the brain or spine and be done with them.
>>
>>819332
How many bowfin do you eat in a week? Must be a lot.
>>
>>819333
He's killing invasive species look alike snake heads. Literally illegal not to kill them if you catch them.
>>
>>819329
That was relevant.

The 'tism is strong with that one.

Sitting down at my PC for an evening of 4chan isn't exactly my idea of a good time. If that's you're thing, to each their own. I multi-task on my short breaks at work or while reruns of Family Guy are playing in the background.

iPhone is getting the job done. Photo editing skillz is lacking though.

>>819333
Checked.

And I don't think I have ever eaten bowfin. I caught one once when I was a kid. I really don't get a ton of those snakeheads anyway since they are confined to a smaller area. The lake I was at today doesn't even have them in there.
>>
>>819338
Bowfin have the spot on the tail. Snakeheads don't.
>>
>>819299

I was talking about actual academic research, I see no citations or actual data and methods on that site.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>819341
Actually the sneks do, at least the Bullseye sneks. That is why the anon was originally confused when he saw the pic and thought I was calling bowfins invaisive.

Not sure if the Northern Snakeheads have the egg spot.
>>
>>819341

There are a couple varieties of snake head that have tail markings, Florida has one of em iirc.
>>
File: snakehead_bowfin.jpg (61KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
snakehead_bowfin.jpg
61KB, 500x385px
>>819343
>>819344
Northerns don't. Best way to tell is the bottom fin.
>>
>>819342
Use google scholar.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>819347
When you see a snek IRL, the shape of their head is the easiest to tell. You don't even have to look at the anal fin. The flat head and rock hard skull says it all across all species of sneks.

Bullseyes also have those distinct black and white diamond shaped things down the side. And the Gaint Snakeheads are black, white, and orange or some crazy colors.
>>
>>819351
Do you take a picture of every single fish you catch?
>>
>>818006
Tips for hot weather fishing

Get up early and cast deep?
>>
>>818097

>using little bluegill for cut bait

you fucking savage nigger, use shiners instead. sacrificing a perfectly good bluegill is all sorts of wrong when shiners exist.
>>
>>818432

ugh if i keep a fish out of water for a minute i start feeling guilty as fuck, i try to get them back in water asap if i'm not keeping them.

had a bass get badly hooked on a 1/0 hook recently so after i pulled it out of water to show off, i put it back in the water while still on hook while someone went to go get needle nose pliers.

fish gets to live and have another sporting chance to remove hook until i can do so, and i stay busy making sure it doesn't go into the weeds which is fun in and of itself.

if i saw people keeping the fish out of water that long i would go help them out, starting with putting the fish back in the water for a minute or so.

idk why this bothers me so much as i normally don't give a fuck about animals. must be the respect for the sport since i don't eat much fish.
>>
>>818819

>27
>not 26

nigga you ain't /k/
>>
>>819398
Bass can last a fair amount of time out of water 5 minutes at least for smaller ones and the behemoths can usually last 20 minutes or more

Not that I keep them out of the water any longer than needed to unhook them and give it a good mire and snap a pic if it's big or a cool color
>>
>>819167
Absolute degeneracy. They're tasty
>>
File: P1090322.jpg (518KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
P1090322.jpg
518KB, 1200x801px
well i just got back from sweden canoe trip shit and caught my first fish since i was 8 fishing off a pier with a hand line.

BADABOOM.
>>
File: P1090428.jpg (159KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
P1090428.jpg
159KB, 1200x801px
that pike above was pretty easily identifiable to my non-fishing mind, but we also caught 4 of these tasty little fuckers - can anyone identify them for me? I'm guessing perch, but like i say, i don't know fish.
>>
>>819461
havent fished since I was about 14 - but I'm pretty sure thats known colloquially in SE Aus as a Red Fin - its a kind of perch, Perca fluviatilis.
I never ate them, but larger ones about 2.5 to 3 pound I would keep for my gramps who spoke highly of them
>>
File: bait.jpg (36KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
36KB, 625x626px
>>819415
What the matter, 40 S&W too much for your prissy hands? Nobody ever left a gun fight and said "Man I wish my gun had a little less stopping power."
>>
>>819394
Little bitty shiners don't catch 50lb flatheads like bluegill do....
>>
>>819461
yea just looks like a common perch. pretty good size one too.
>>
>>819526
>pretty good size one too
thats a dink, mabye 2-3 years old
>>
>>819417
>Bass can last a fair amount of time out of water 5 minutes at least for smaller ones and the behemoths can usually last 20 minutes or more

Bullshit. More than a minute out of the water and they are feeling it. I know you do the right thing and get them back ASAP, but don't spout crap like this because you'll encourage noobs to keep bass out of the water for 20 minutes. 20 fucking minutes, you have to got to be trolling. Let's see if you can go 20 minutes without breathing.
>>
>>819508
Bluegill last longer when used as live bait too.
>>
>>819532
yea your right i didnt even realize the how small it looks in comparison to his hand.
>>
>>818744
>that float
Granted its not one of those ping-pong balls but why are Americans so shitty and cant into delicate high sensitive balsa floats?
>>
File: FishingFloats_04.jpg (319KB, 550x346px) Image search: [Google]
FishingFloats_04.jpg
319KB, 550x346px
>>819580
Because 5 year olds lose a lot of tackle. Those floats are like 5 for $1.50. Balsa floats are $3 each. And the kid will never know the difference anyway.
>>
>>819580
Because a pack of 5 plastic bobbers for $2 is better than paying $5 for 1 balsa wood. Especially when you lose them all the time due to snags.

That is what you are dealing with here.

I just break a twig off a local tree or pick up some deadfall and use that as a bobber.
>>
>>819479
>>819526
Thanks anons.
>>
>>819533
Even I would agree that you will prolly have a floater after 20min.

Carp and cats last awhile. And the sneks will last like indefinitely if they don't dry out.
>>
>>819597
I've had catfish thrown into the bed of my truck while fishing around 1-2 am and they were still kicking the next morning. Those fucks are impossible to kill.
>>
>>819599
Why did you take the fish if you just left them in your truck overnight to spoil or in this case, die a miserable death?
>>
>>819597
from what I have read sneks can actually come out of the water and sit on the shore if they want. creepy, long fucks.
>>
File: høtt.jpg (138KB, 800x364px) Image search: [Google]
høtt.jpg
138KB, 800x364px
caught a wolf fish today. fought like a motherfucker until the end.
got a little scared when i saw it, wondered what the fuck i pulled up from the deep.
tried poking it with pic related to see if they really can bite off fingers before trying to unhook it. it was still in attack mode and charged at it biting and twisting.
worthy opponent, would have let it go if i had a way to unhook it.
>>
>>819617
Too much alcohol throughout the night, noone even thought about em when we got home.

Still ate them, though.
>>
File: wolffish.png (989KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
wolffish.png
989KB, 800x600px
>>819632
>wolf fish
FUCK THAT!
>>
>>819533
Fish being out of water is NOT akin to a person holding their breath
>>
File: 20160721_212358.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160721_212358.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>819642
yeah, was expecting a halibut or maybe a pollock by the way it fought. actually got a little scared when i pulled it into the boat and it was wiggling for 5 minutes while i tried to figure out how to unhook it.
overall a good experience if you like fish with a little fight in them.
not the biggest, i'd say medium sized fish based on what i usually catch, medium small. didn't get the weight because i like having fingers and i forgot the scale at home.
here it is beheaded and gutted. gonna eat it tomorrow, hear its really good.
>>
>>819627
They can travel on land from water to water though they rarely do that unless the water hole is drying up.
>>
>>819627
I think the purpose of their lung is so they can survive droughts. They will just hole up in some wet mud and wait out the dry season.
>>
File: DSCN4993a.jpg (679KB, 2048x1534px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4993a.jpg
679KB, 2048x1534px
What is the prettiest fish species where you live?

Where I live, small Longear Sunfish (Lepomis megalotis) are the flashiest. Some of them look like red jewels with bits of yellow and streaks of blue lighting and blue speckles. I used to keep some in an aquarium. They did really well and never lost their color.

I caught a few today and a handful of hybrid sunfish. (pics related)
>>
File: 918222_orig.jpg (86KB, 640x435px) Image search: [Google]
918222_orig.jpg
86KB, 640x435px
>>819672
Here is what the ones I once had in my aquarium looked like.
>>
File: makrell.jpg (51KB, 650x189px) Image search: [Google]
makrell.jpg
51KB, 650x189px
>>819672
no real contestants here so i'm gonna say mackerel because of the green and stripes.
>>
File: image.jpg (288KB, 1242x770px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288KB, 1242x770px
>>819672
Although I agree that the sunfish I see are really pretty with their flashy colors I personally love the look and patterns of smallmouth bass the most.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>819672
A ton of saltwater fish.

For freshwater, the peacock bass are cool and there are a few different South American cichlids. All non-native though.
>>
>>819666
No

Snakeheads are native to places with an abundance of rainfall

Snakeheads are currently evolving towards becoming a terrestrial species

All life was once waterborne and snakeheads offer a real live look at how life moved from the water onto land
>>
File: 6r7tvyi.jpg (162KB, 1189x448px) Image search: [Google]
6r7tvyi.jpg
162KB, 1189x448px
>>819672
Probably the garibaldi, especially when it has the neon blue markings as a juvenile. They grow to be bright orange though which still pretty cool
>>
>>819701
Spoopy

Maybe it was something else I was reading on. Those areas have the rainy seasons though where fish have huge territories and then shrink down to nothing for a few months and the fish gotta adapt. I guess adult sneks don't even really travel on land. The lungs help them survive in little stagnant puddles for a long time.
>>
File: p1121144bc.png (2MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
p1121144bc.png
2MB, 1000x750px
>>819672
>>
>>819672
Got these small ones last weekend :) Pleased as it was my first trip in ten years :) I think they look appealing atleast
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 990x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 990x550px
>>819672
I need to catch one of these things.
>>
File: 20150903_151116.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150903_151116.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>819720

way ahead of you buddy, these guys are the prettiest when in season, but...
>>
File: 20160711_093214.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160711_093214.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>819736
these guys are the prettiest year round, the orange looking big calico bass tied for first too
>>
>>819672
>>
Any pickerel fisherman out there? My cousin snorkels in the lake a lot looking for millfoil and says all he sees is huge pickerel swimming around, and i got a huge one earlier on a soft crayfish. the state record is 26 inches and i think i can get a bigger one from this lake. so any recommendations? Ive been thinking a krocodile spoon with curly tail on it, like a mini musky lure.
>>
>>819770
You've missed vest time of the year to for them, hit them just at ice out , try white zoom jr swimming flukes or similar ,
Twitch twitch, twitch pause
>>
So damn sick of little scup and craps.
>>
File: IMG_20160713_111418179.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160713_111418179.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
Can't recall if I've posted this pic
Brookie with hypopigmentation spots
>>
i'm getting real fucked by these muskie

three times in two hours, three times my line snapped right away. i don't have any money for new line, so im stuck on this shitty 9lb mono line. i've been trying to fish the weeds and spots where i haven't seen any muskie jump out of but no luck. it's either nothing, or a muskie snaps/bites through my line.

i really need to get a yak, cheeky fucker caught three or four bass while i was there and paddled over to me like "any luck ;)"
>>
>>819770
I catch pickerel all the fucking time. Pesky little basters ruin my bass lures with their little teeth. I never ever target them but every time I fish I end up with well over a dozen
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>818116
Tidepool sculpin. Got a ton of rocky coast fish up north.
>>
>>819951

Don't you got to stick your rod in a hole between rocks to catch these? Ive seen a video of it once, poke polling or something like that right?
>>
File: 1398385352603.gif (947KB, 476x253px) Image search: [Google]
1398385352603.gif
947KB, 476x253px
>>819951
thats a black rockfish notta sculpin bro..
>>
>>819970
I think he was answering the earlier post where the anon asked him if what he'd posted early in the thread was a goby.
>>
File: Fishing Buddy.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fishing Buddy.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>819680
>>819682
>>819696
>>819703
>>819715
>>819717
>>819720
>>819736
>>819740
>>819767
All are nice fish. I've only fished in freshwater all my life. I'm like 600ish miles from the nearest saltwater. I bet it'd be like being a kid again, when never knowing what is on the end of the line when you catch something. I miss that thrill.

At least I have my fishing buddy.
>>
File: kveite.jpg (69KB, 650x312px) Image search: [Google]
kveite.jpg
69KB, 650x312px
>>820055
fishing from boat in saltwater is the shiz is you want something big. atleast thats the rule where i live since there aren't that many lakes and rivers with much fish left.
sometimes i wish i never fished because i've started to get a moby dick tier obsession with catching halibut. been fishing pretty much all yesterday and today and still haven caught one.
>>
File: Lepomis-cyanellus.png (826KB, 1300x731px) Image search: [Google]
Lepomis-cyanellus.png
826KB, 1300x731px
>>819672
I caught a green sunfish the other day. Absolutely gorgeous neon blue lines all over it. Pictures don't do them justice.
>>
File: IMG_0954.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0954.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
We left this one in the sand for a while
>>
File: 20160713_153752~01.jpg (2MB, 2592x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_153752~01.jpg
2MB, 2592x2592px
A nice grayling from Inari. This species is delicious.
>>
what is the type of fishing with live bait attached to a bobber where you dont repeat cast all the time like spinner called in English?
>>
>>820122
>baitfishing
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>820081
Hey i slam those all the time they're crazy aggressive for a sunfish

Pic related. Cousin caught his first fish
>>
>>820143
You're right, I couldn't believe how hard that little guy fought!
>>
What's the most efficient way to store lures of various types and sizes? I'm going on holiday and i'm taking some fishing stuff with me and I need to fit it all into a relatively small container.
>>
File: 449d337a49f2acf9bf2d0c50c88d4249.jpg (662KB, 1236x919px) Image search: [Google]
449d337a49f2acf9bf2d0c50c88d4249.jpg
662KB, 1236x919px
Last nights catch.

Can anyone idetntify them? I've never fished in this lake before (only fish the suwannee river for freshwater) and am only familiar with channel cats and flatheads. These look a bit like flatheads but have those splotches all over them.
>>
>>820159
Not without a better picture
>>
>>820158
Plano boxes
>>
>>820159
Looks like they might be hornpout to me
>>
File: hornpout.jpg (132KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hornpout.jpg
132KB, 1024x768px
>>820201
Forgot pic
>>
>>820202
looks like a bullhead to me
>>
>>820226
The brown bullhead is also widely known as the "mud pout," "horned pout," "hornpout," or simply "mud cat," along with the other bullhead species.
>>
File: IMG_20160722_155830833.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160722_155830833.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
First decent smally I've gotten in a while

Tons of 8-12 inchers

This guy was only 16.5 but put up a hell of a fight in some decent current and with me using my ultralight
>>
>>818079
I have one in my arsenal for crappie fishing. I use it for jigging brush piles and it's my preferred method of catching them.
>>
>>820373
noice. what did you get him on?
>>
>>820383
live crayfish, water level is quite low and wasnt expecting to get much of anything found a somewhat deep pocket, and tossed it in, and caught him, the cast afer, i got one at 13-14 ish inches then i was having trouble finding crayfish, so i threw on a worm and one after then next i pulled in 6-10 inch smallmouth over and over,
>>
>>820373
>>820383
>>820436
actually its my pb smallmouth, since i rarley ever fish for them just realized this
>>
>>820226

yup, bullhead. never heard any of the pout names.
>>
>>818751
>How'd I not see this post?

I have a couple of ultra light poles-reel combos.

1: Shakespeare Microspin WMSP46-1UL 4' 6" Ultra Light (same wording on spinning reel)
2: Shimano AX-2500 Super Ultra Light 5' (AXUL-S spinning reel)

I don't use fishing line on these. I use "Coats Nylon Transparent Thread." (Invisible thread for sewing machines.) It simply casts forever and ever. A single unbaited hook can cast something like 20+ feet. It costs under $3 for 300 yards. The down side is that you you need sharp eyes to see the line.

The largest thing I've landed on that was a 12 inch bass, not much weight, and it even got tangled in some sticks. I thought for sure I'd lose it, but I got it unwrapped and in hand. I'm had small bluegill/sunfish snap this stuff instantly. So, you have to really play it and have very sharp hooks so the set can be soft.

It is the ultimate for catching bait fish; chubs, shiners, panfish. #1 rod-reel above is what I was using in >>819672
>>
File: halibut worth £25,000.jpg (104KB, 636x947px) Image search: [Google]
halibut worth £25,000.jpg
104KB, 636x947px
>>820075
lol I had the same bug for catching giant flathead catfish here. Though, they don't even slightly compare to the monsters that some halibut species can reach it seems.

I mean what on earth do you use to catch these things?
>>
>>820450

i'm tempted to throw a 20 at the micro spin combo but from reading reviews with rods snapping quite easily i think i'd rather just use the old rods i already have instead. at least they're paid for, and i know they're flimsy.

as for a true ultralight, i've got some 2-3 foot long steel wire rod hand me down that's pretty sick. i'll get some pics of it tomorrow if i remember.
>>
>>820448
hornpout is a New England name
>>
>>820473
>rods snapping quite easily

lol What are they doing with them? Be careful with reviews for anything you may want to buy for a few reasons. I used to write reviews for stuff I bought, until I saw my reviews being used for other stuff on other websites and on the same website for other products. They'd just switch the names around. Also, you have to figure out if it was product failure or user error.

>2-3 foot long steel wire rod

One of those car antenna ones that are square metal? I had one when I was too young to take care of shit. Wish I still had it.
>>
>>820451
mostly people use rods with jigs from boats. but another way is setting a line, basically huge hooks with bait set out and checked on the next day.
>>
File: 1429825437079.jpg (6KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1429825437079.jpg
6KB, 239x239px
>>820451
>I mean what on earth do you use to catch these things?

a 10-30 sized 2 speed with some 100 to 130lb braid
>>
File: IMG_20160719_151031548.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160719_151031548.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
It's on fellas. Gunna be slammin them soon.
>>
>>820597
What's the action on those things like?
>>
>>820602
It's like any prop lure, but less high-pitched. A little slower and heavier than the thin metal blades.
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 580x435px
>tfw the slowest fishin thread in forever

Anybody getting out there today? Coworker dude actually says he is down to go check out a lake with peacocks in it today. Hopefully he doesn't flake out.
>>
File: IMG_20160723_104935872.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160723_104935872.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>820780
Working today, got out yesterday though and got a decent smally

Have a feesh
>>
>>820780
I was planning to but I fell asleep and now I don't have time
>>
>>820780
was out earlier. didn't get shit. i've been fishing from boat but it seems the heat makes the fish go to shallow waters or towards the surface so i'm thinking of trying from land later.
>>
>>820780
Is that the one that just is like "sure dude!" then never calls to tell you no and you have to call him at like 5am and be like "where are you?"
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>820786
Nah, this is the other dude who has actually gone out with me a few times. The lake I want to check out is kinda near his place so I can just scoop him if he isn't doin shit.

The other dude you mentioned, every time I see him at work he's like "bruh, just got my fishing license!" and I actually shot him a text last weekend when I was kinda in his area but I just told these dudes if they actually want to go, just hit me up since I will be out there anyway.
>>
>>820780

just came back, it's hot as fuck. not as much as a bite.

gotta find a new spot, this dock has way too many annoying kids in the evenings
>>
>>820794
Gotta get out there at 6am instead...

I seem to have better luck at dusk than dawn though. Lots of people love early AM fishing and I like being at the lake for sunrise too but sunset seems to produce more.

I'm still salty about the shit luck I had the other day at my big bass lake. I don't go there a ton, but that was the most action I have ever gotten there. And I lost so many goddamn fish because of trying to fish Texas rigs in the wind.
>>
>>820780
I'm gonna hit up this pond I found at work. I saw some baby bass up shallow, so I'm assuming there's some bigger ones in there
>>
>>818078
It creates both flash and noise. When used for salmon and stealhead it resembles a small fish eating a salmon egg which will trigger a strike salmon defending thier eggs..
>>
>>818157
You need a little strecth. The line you are using has no strecth causing you to tear the bait away...
Solution... use a mon leader start with 15 pound around five feet.
>>
File: 82.jpg (3MB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
82.jpg
3MB, 3000x2400px
>>820797
>And I lost so many goddamn fish because of trying to fish Texas rigs in the wind.

How does wind affect fish-on? Was it making the line all bowed out into the wind and you couldn't set the hook fast enough because of that? I've had that happen a few time, it makes for too much slack and you can't just reel in faster as that ruins presentation.
>>
>>820780

Well, out here we're currently under a tropical storm watch and shits rainy and the surf is kinda high.
>>
>>820873
I don't know about saltwater shore fishing, but for freshwater fishing if there's a storm coming, you get out there and fish because it is some of the best fishing of your life.
>>
In the last 2 years I've gotten into ice fishing heavily. I don't have any pics of my gear but will get some at the office Monday.

I seem to catch bigger fish on the ice.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>819970
>>819989
What he said is what I meant. Here's a brown (?) rockfish I caught too. Not poke poling, just jigging close to the rock.
>>
>>820871
Basically. And it's hard to feel the bites, so a lot of times I will give the bait a little jerk and notice a fish has grabbed it, and it like halfway sets the hook.
>>
>>820884

You don't go in borderline hurricane conditions because that's how you die.
>>
>>820953
You don't actually go out into the storm itself.
>>
>>820953
I'm down for fishing when it is rainy, but the lighting is what you really gotta watch out for. Especially if you are on a boat.

My one big bass lake sketches me out when there is lightning because there are no trees anywhere near this lake. It is flat grass for like 100yds in any direction. Add on top of that how unpredictable the storms are here and that is an easy way to get killed.
>>
File: fish.jpg (121KB, 442x439px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
121KB, 442x439px
Caught these guys this morning. Good day of topwater bass fishing!
>>
>>820965
Looks like you caught them in 1970
>>
>>820971
eh galaxy s6 cheapo phone camera
>>
>>820797
>>820937
I've seen you blame other shit so much, if you think the wind is making it so that you can't set the hook on fish you need to become a better fisherman instead of throwing a hissy fit because you aren't skilled enough.
>>
>>820999
>Breaking News!
>It is more difficult to fish a Texas Rig with 15-20mph cross winds than it is with no wind!

Welcome back salty anon. Nice trips.

But I do need more experience with the Texas rigged shit. I really only started fishing them a lot maybe 6mos ago. I would rather lose the fish tho than wait too long and gut hook them. And the problem with that lake is the shape and orientation of it when the wind is coming straight out of the east. I come in by the west shore, and it would be a super long walk to get to the east shore. Casting straight into the wind isn't too bad with the Texas rigs but the west shoreline is only like 50yds long and I normally have to go pretty deep for the nice bass.
>>
>>820999
I don't think he's the one having a hissy fit, kid.
>>
>>820957

No shit, but you don't go from shore in high surf around here unless you want to get smashed on the rocks.
>>
>>818006
In the thread, Pespi still doesn't salt water....
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>821049
We got a couple more posts before the bump limit...

>tfw at the snek spot but sneks aren't biting, instead the Mayans are goin crazy
>>
>>821053
Lulz, I may salt before thread quits but that's less than 2 miles north or south. You, not so much I'm betting. Only reason I didn't already today was hot .....& lazy.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>821060
I'm probably closer to salt than that. The intercoastal is only a few blocks away from my house. I need to get up early and do it though. I was thinkin about driving past the inlet on my way home just to see how crowded it is. But I don't even have my MH President on me, lots of lighter stuff right now.

I'll probably just head home and chill. They aren't biting for shit. I should've tried to get out earlier today either before the storms or between them. Plus this lake and that canal with the sneks kinda piss me off because I know they are in there but a lot of times they sit in this thick cover and I just end up spooking them before they will hit a lure.
>>
it's really hot and im put off fishing currently; i can stand the heat but idk about fishing in this weather.

That's just what i hear tho, should i just go out the next time available despite the heat? Does it make that much of a difference?
>>
>>821078
What are you going for? The higher water temps seem to drive bass fairly deep, so you really have to get the right times. I just try to go out at dusk.
>>
>>821104
currently air temp is around 90F and i was thinking about some fishing on the raritan river, which seems like it can get shallow.

I was thinking it would matter in a lake but on a river heat is negligible
>>
>>821105
Go for it. Just get out there at dawn or dusk. The air temp will definitely affect water temp, especially if it is sunny. But it takes a little time for the water to really warm up if it has only been hot for a day or two. Rain can cool it down sometimes too if you get enough. But summer river temps will be warmer than spring and fall temps.

Down here it is like warm swimming pool temps so the largemouth bass really slow down for a good portion of the year. A lot of northern fish would never tolerate it. I'm sure that's why we don't have pike, walleye, smallmouths, and shit like that. The range of native freshwater species is pretty small.
>>
File: image.jpg (213KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213KB, 640x1136px
The damn lure is almost as long as he is lol. He jumped 5 or 6 times as I was feeling him in. Would've been a blast on an UL rig.
>>
>>821115
Ayy you diggin those Cotton Candy lizards? I haven't used that color in a minute.
>>
File: image.jpg (236KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236KB, 640x1136px
>>821116
Yeah I like the subtlety of the chartreuse tail. I almost like them more than the chartreuse pepper, but not quite.

I tied one on because the pond at work has pretty clear water and I thought chartreuse might be a little too bright. But I got hungry and then just stopped at the lake by my house instead on the way home.

Pic is the other little guy I caught today
>>
>>821005
Nah, not salty. Put on a bigger weight until you develop the skills to fish in wind, autist.

>>821011
I see you removed your trip
>>
>>821138
It's like you haven't fished much.

Too heavy a weight on the Texas rigs and you absolutely kill the action. If it is digging way down in the mud the entire time, not shit is going to bite it. I speak from experience. And if the bottom was perfectly flat and rocky and the baits won't dig into mud and the fish are on the absolute bottom, it would probably take 2oz+ to keep it tight with wind like that.

And the second part, you should ask that anon. Not sure if they normall trip.
>>
File: hqdefault[4].jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[4].jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>821149
If you can't fish in 15-20 mph wind with a 3/8th or smaller bullet weight you need to just stop. 99% of the time on the coast the winds are 15-25 mph and everyone fishes just fine but with minor annoyance.

Also, crosswinds are the easiest winds to fish asides from coming to your back. Dunno why you got so salty at my op, all I said is to get better. Autist.
>>
>>821138
>>821158
>>820999
>fishing with pure autism
>>
>>821158
And I explained earlier why I can't really fish this lake with the wind at my back.

I think you should get out fishing more. I had a 1/2oz bullet on, and it was barely hitting the bottom. This is shore fishing with warm South Florida weather. You have to cast out as far as possible to hit deeper water, which means casting straight out and the wind coming pretty much directly left to right. By the time the 1/2oz weight even hits the bottom with that wind, it's already 20' to the right of where it hit the water. By the time I even get close to pulling the slack out of the line, the bait is off the bottom and drifting again. It makes it more difficult, but not impossible, to set hooks properly. That's just how things work. I didn't leave without catching anything, but had a few that I should've landed if it were eaiser to keep some tension on the line. Can't set a hook with slack line my friend. I think you should get out there a little more so you understand how these things happen.
>>
>>821161
Honestly...

I was explaining the shit to my old mom who knows nothing about fishing, and even she understands why it isn't easy to fish Texas rigs in conditions like that.

I don't think she was all that interested though...
>>
Looking to buy some vintage Zebco reels on ebay because nostalgia. Looks like there's a lot of good options under $30 after shipping. What should I go for? Must be legit 'made in USA' versions.
>>
>>820797

i do normally try and get out real early, can't stand the kids there during the evening

swear to fuck, these kids were just catching panfish and throwing them into a fucking puddle

i told one of them they should throw them back into the water and he just says "UMMMMMMM SUNFISH CAN DO LIVE IN DA PUDDLE EVEN DO IT SMALL CAUSE SUNFISH SMALL TOO SO IT OK"

then he started crying when his dad told him to take them out, i ended up borrowing someones net to get them out of the puddle

i just came back from the dock, didn't even fish. pulled in, heard a bunch of kids screeching and one crying, turned around and left. fuck that, i can wait.
>>
>>821185
That sounds awful. So glad I avoid that shit.

>>821177
I'm gonna make a new thread and post it in the OP for ya
>>
NEW
>>821197
>>
>>821195

thanks KVD

>bout to bite on a zebco 33 rhino tough for $18 shipped, one in like new condition, one two days closer in good condition
>>
>>821163
aim 20 ft to the left of where you want to hit and throw it a foot off the water instead of really high.

Like I said, you aren't skillful enough and don't know the tricks.

Fish more :)
>>
>>820602
Spot on
I like that they cast a mile. Plus they work well for fish that feed on terrestrial shit like frogs, mice , ducks since they have a low thump.
>>
File: SMELLSMUSKY.jpg (241KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
SMELLSMUSKY.jpg
241KB, 960x720px
>>820780
Been sick and Had too much family Shit to deal with. Pisses me off cause my brother is not dealing with it and probably slaying smallies.
>>
>>821211

fuck me i can't even imagine what it's like to catch fish that big daily.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 97

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.