[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: fixie-cafe-cf-org-21.jpg (774KB, 2100x1248px) Image search: [Google]
fixie-cafe-cf-org-21.jpg
774KB, 2100x1248px
My friend has recommended me a single speed 6ku bike but I hear they are pretty garbage in terms of build quality. I’m looking to spend $200-$300 and I was thinking about getting a Motobecane café instead because I hear they are not as bad as 6ku’s and a decent low-end bike. Is the Motobecane really a big difference compared to 6ku? Are there better brands for that price range?
>>
I got a schwinn for 55 bucks marked down at walmart and ive ridden it as my main mode of transportation for 4 months so far without a single issue
>>
>>816565
Well the reason I am getting a new bike is because I have a hybrid right now that I bought from Dick's and the front inner tube popped. Bike snobs really look down on bikes you can buy from stores. But I don't know if that's just an ego thing, or if the materials are actually better for the more expensive bikes. I know they are lighter, but I care more about durability.
>>
>>816570
Why not Just chance the tube?
>>
>>816577
I'm going to fix it today but I still wanted a single speed road bike. Road bikes are lighter with thinner wheels so they are quicker and the single speed means it has only one gear. I won't have to worry as much about the chain popping out so maintenance is a little easier.
>>
>>816579
i got a single speed which i ride all the time. it cost me 30 bucks and i fixed it up. i use it to ride out to close climbing spots. my road bike is for long mountain rides.
>>
>>816579
It's really hard to pop a chain on a bike. If anything the gear might slip up or down but you can still pedal and just click it back. You would be 100 times better getting a bike that has gears. Fixed gear bikes are more of a movement/trend and they're not practical. What happens if you're riding and it starts to sprinkle? Get where you're going faster by gearing up so each pedal takes you twice as far. Getting tired and having trouble getting up a hill or hit some rough terrain? Gear down a bit so you don't have to push down so hard on the pedal and you can still keep moving. Don't worry about what bike snobs think. Nothing is "cool" or even remotely practical about only having one gear to get around. That's why cars have transmissions and a bike is no different.
>>
>>816595
I heard single speed doesn't need as much maintenance though? And wouldn't it be good for a better workout? Couldn't I get fit to where the single speed wouldn't matter? Also my chain did fuck up yesterday on my hybrid and I felt like a retard because I didn't know how to put fix it. Either way I'm going to look up how to fix it online, that is something that every bike owner should know how to do.
>>
>>816603
It's an anaerobic exercise just lift weights if you want to work out. Also Also this Also this thread looks like it belongs in >>>/n/
>>
>>816630
Ah, had no idea my bad.
>>
>>816595
he said single speed not fixie you knob
>>
>>816557
My vote is for the 6ku. Haven't seen either in person, but my guess is that the extra $ of the moto goes to the rear brake, while skimping on wheels a bit. Rear brake is worthless is you're riding fixed, it could actually be kind of dangerous. My bet is that the deeper dish wheels are a safer bet in terms of robustness. I urge you to get fixed and not single speed also. If you're not going with gears, it makes so much more sense to take advantage of the extra control and power transfer fixed has over single speed, that and you won't be relying on shitty brakes to stop.

I was a messenger for a few years and always found myself mostly riding fixed. Do I love it? Meh, there's more fun riding out there. I always craved riding my colnago road bike on weekends. It is practical, reliable and supremely cheap. Any bike you buy will need parts replaced. Fixed just ensures those parts will be easily had, simpler (therefore cheaper) and easily installed (DIY=cheaper). It's easier to diagnose what's wrong. You don't have to worry about compatibility of systems. You don't need a ton of special tools or know how.

If you're older and worried about your knees, or are frail in general, go with something else. Or just gear the bike down a bit. If you're healthy, it's not that big a deal to ride fixed. People make it out to be such a deal, when all it takes is a little practice.
>>
>>816667
Alright I'll look do some research for fixed, easier maintenance is always a plus. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>816570
..huh?buy a new innertube dummy
>>
>>816661
A fixie is a single speed you retard
>>
File: WP_20160414_18_57_20_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160414_18_57_20_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>816570
Bike snobs look down on fixies too. Since you are on /out I assume you want to do more than ride to starbucks. I fixie is useless offroad. For $300 all youre gonna get thats decent is a used hardtail with a 3x setup. Go to pawnshops or craigslist. /n has a bbg thread that will scour your local craigslist for you.
>>
>>817032
I'm not the person you replied to but you might want to check google.
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 1242x528px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 1242x528px
>>817048
I did and I'm right

>A fixie (or fixed gear) is a singlespeed
>>
>>817111
Right but wrong and autistic
>>
>>817032
>>817048
>>817111
A fixie is a single speed, but not all single speeds are fixies.

Is reading that hard?
>>
>>817036
Actually fixies were the ultimate bike snob bikes before hipsters ruined them. They're still fun to ride though.

>fixie is useless offroad.
lolno
http://www.63xc.com/
you have to actually know how to ride unsuspended though
>>
>>817322
Wrong. Sturmey Archer made fixed gear 3 speed hubs at various times in the past and apparently you can convert an AW to two speed fixed if you can machine the necessary part.
>>
File: IMG_20160702_153055666.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_153055666.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>816570
i got a giant revel 2 from my lbs and the thing is a champ, was only about $370 or so. all it needs right away aftermarket would most likely be the treads and pedals. i haven't replaced either yet though and i still love riding it. even with its smoother treads it powers through River mud and sand like a fucking warhorse.
>>
is it bad that my gooch hurts when cycling?
what do i need to do to prevent this?
>>
>>817032 see >>817322

when some one says single speed it means single speed if not otherwise specified as being fixed gear because they're different.
>>
>>820976
I don't know what a gooch is but I suspect some part of your posterior.

If so you need to reposition your seat forward or aft and nose up/down to better fit your position on the bike. You may also need a different seat that better fits your sit bones.

Lots of people just buy wider and wider seats, but this is stupid and doesn't fix anything. You want something that provides support for your sit bones but doesn't put pressure anywhere else.
>>
>>820983
the bit that connects your ballsack to your ares. contains an important nerve, interrupting or compressing it can cause the expected negative effects.

will consider, thanks.
>>
>>820983
>gooch
your taint, taint your balls and taint your arse

in med terms sp? perineum sp?
>>
File: bike-seats-1024x570.png (500KB, 1024x570px) Image search: [Google]
bike-seats-1024x570.png
500KB, 1024x570px
>>820976
all sorts of designs to prevent this. find yours....
>>
>>821032
can i cut a hole in the middle of my bike seat with a knife?

will this work?
>>
>>821040
*shrugs shoulders*
If you have a knife, it's your seat.
In other words, go for it but be prepared to spend $30-$xxx for a replacement. You could always steal one. Seats are only 1 nut and maybe 2 turns at best to loosen.
>>
>>820976
in general, any pain or discomfort on a bike is the result of bad posture or bad sizing, more than the parts themselves
is your frame in accordance to your height/inseam? is your seat too high? are you actually sitting on your seat bones? these are the things you should check
>>
Buy a used fixie from a bike shop
>>
>>821032
I have a similar seat to the 8th one from the bottom.
Never, NEVER, buy that, it's uncomfortable as fuck.
>>
>>816603
After riding a single speed in a very hilly city for a while it doesn't matter too much, If youre riding long distance up hills thats another story. But generally I find I keep up with geared riders just fine and usually pass them even on hills.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.