[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 68

File: image.jpg (189KB, 620x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189KB, 620x600px
#68-"Palomar & PowerPro" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>814051

Why don't you use the Palomar knot? "I never learned it, how do I tie it?" is the only correct answer.

Pastebin and Imgur are still there. Open to moar suggestions.
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Let's talk about fishing.
>>
Imho braid and mono each have their benefits
Braid is great for strength per diameter and the small diameter is great for fishing deep water with current vecUse it doesn't catch the water
It's also more sensitive though I don't notice that much of a difference unless fishing deep water or with heavy weights

Mono is cheap, it's knots hold well, easier to untangle (in my oppinion)
More abrasion resistant , no leaders needed , gets less weeds (especially cottonwood seeds ) stuck on it and has better (less) visibility in smaller diameters
>>
>it's an "anon is too stupid to use braid" thread
>>
>>816139
Replace braid with Palomar knot and you may be onto something. I can see why people prefer mono over braid for a couple reasons and would rather just keep mono on their main rod because of the certain type of fishing they do. But for me, bass fishing from shore, Braid has been better than Mono in pretty much every way.

>>816138
But of all the downsides to braid, they are only issues in a small number of fishing conditions. It's often good to have a rod spooled with mono or flouro for those rare times.

Idk where the knot thing comes from. Braid is more flexible than mono and flouro, so if you tighten up a tangle you may be fucked. But I haven't had an issue with knots like that in a couple of decades since I learned how to wipe my own ass and I stopped getting knots while casting.
>>
>>816150
I've just found with braid sometimes il get the occationally wind knot (as with mono) but braid tightens down and makes it a bit more difficult to untangle plus you can't really use a pick or knife tip to help untangle braid because you can separate the braid itself
>>
>>816138
Agree with everything you said...braid really shines for deep fishing but bass fishing in 15-20 foot of water and it's nothing special, just unnecessarily costly.

>Idk where the knot thing comes from
Braid slides on itself easier than mono. Mono grips itself better, therefore it holds knots better. Not rocket science.. Someone who's fished for "decades" should know this basic info.

>Braid is more flexible than mono
What do you mean by flexible? I'm assuming you mean stretchable and if so you must be trolling..mono is stretchable and braid is, by comparison, much less so. You have to be trolling.
>>
>>816160
>>816150
forgot to quote post
>>
>>816150
Palomar is literally a meme
>>
File: 1468002839909.gif (1MB, 245x280px) Image search: [Google]
1468002839909.gif
1MB, 245x280px
>>816150
>>816150

>claims he's fished for decades
>had to explain wacky rigging and drop shotting to him last week
>>
>>816160
I mean don't get me wrong I like braid overall for bass fishing , but often find myself wanting a longer leader and not wanting to retie or I've had a few times where I've broken off and not remembered to bring my leader material with me
Though il never use braid for trout or any other lineshy fish

And by flexible he means you can double it back on itself easily inline mono or flouro that don't like to fold flat over on itself
>>
My dad says I should get my mono line spooled at a local sports shop since they put it on tighter. But I'm thinking that's kind of false and doing it myself is the right way.

If anyone agrees, can you run down the steps to doing it urself? It's just making a few overhand knot to start, putting tape over the bumpy knot, and just spool it on the same way the line is spooled on the package, right?
>>
>>816160
>he can't even quote the right person
flexible=/="""stretchable"""

No. Braid bends and creases easier than mono and flouro (which are more stiff). Once you cinch down knots, they are set. They don't like to back out like mono and flouro (especially higher weights) can sometimes do. Braid seems to tie better knots for me than mono and flouro.

Did you know that you can cast a 1/4oz lure much farther on 10lb braid compared to 10lb mono? It's amazing!
Braid is pretty near. You should try it sometime.
>>
File: really.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
>>816173
>removing your trip when you get rekt
>>
>>816173
Idk I can cast significantly further on 6 (maybe even 8) lb mono than I cam on 15 lb braid even though they're supposedly the same thickness

If I had to pick one to use id probably pick mono just due to the fact of no leader tying, cheaper, and no fucking cottonwood seeds
>>
>>816166
Best meme!

>>816168
Ehh, now you're just salty because braid is so far superior to mono in so many ways and for so many fishing situations.

I was actually reading this MTB email talking about how drop-shots got big in the 2000s and were all the rage. That was my hiatus.

>>816171
I always thread the line through at least the bottom guide, the under the bail, and then it's reccommended to use an arbor knot to tie it onto the spool. Keep some pressure on the line or feeder spool while reeling, stop when there is ~1/8" of space left on the spool.

The big stores will normally spool your line for free if you buy it there (even with a 300yd spool, not just their bulk line). But it is really easy to do by yourself.

>>816169
Ayy he can read and actually knows what "flexible" means. Or maybe he has actually used braid. Still don't understand how you get wind knots. Last knot I had on a spinning reel was when I spooled too much flouro on a Sienna. Shimanos have that tricky bevel on the spool where you can't go too full and flouro is really stiff.
>>
>>816178
I always tell people not to go exactly the same diameter. Braid isn't as smooth, so .030mm braid won't cast as well as .030mm, especially on a spinning reel. I put that in the pastebin thing on braid. But 15lb-20lb braid casts better than 8lb-10lb mono respectively and you can spool more of it on the reel with twice the strength.

>>816177
Sorry, had to go talk some shit in the 3 overweight black women thread and forgot to put it back on.

You should still learn what flexible means. And try using braid for some bass fishing on a medium weight reel. You would be amazed.
>>
>>816180
I use braid on my ultralight (also use mono when going for trout)
And on one of my salt rods

And wind knots dknt happen often though sometimes I reel in with slight slack on the line and it leaves a loose loop on the spool then that comes off when casting

I usually only have issues when fishing in wind and or I'm using rapid jigging and reling at the same time

Or when I o in party boats I spend some good time untangling my line and other people's like because no one on a party boat understands how to keep their line under them and not 40 ft to he left
>>816187
I know it's not as smooth I've got nothing against braid though it does have its flaws
>>
>>816171
Ever think of trying braid? I made the jump a few years ago and have never looked back ;^)

>>816191
At least you're not as delusional as other dude. And I acknowledge the downsides to it but still maintain that they aren't an issue when shore fishing for largemouth, as well as many other conditions. When on a party boat where drunk people gonna cross lines all day, mono is probably the way to go. But seems like the majority of the criticisms are overblown or user error.

When you gonna get a memecaster?
>>
>>816195
I always use mono when on party boats I'm not about to have some Asian fuck cut off 20$ of my powerpro because he decided to cast out to the right

I have a memecaster (basically an ugly stick equivalent ) and use it from time to time
I mostly bring it to soak bait or some shit because I throw most small lures with my ultralight, and the only big lures I've been throwing recently have been soft rubber frogs and I like to use my st Croix for that because the fast action makes getting hook ups so much nicer in weeds IMO

Plus the cheap memecaster is 6 ft 6 and I'm so used to 7 ft rods it just feels short to me
>>
>>816200
Yeah those Ugly Stiks and their slow action get boring when fishing lures, especially once you get on a few faster rods. That's why I keep telling people to try out the Lighning Rods instead for the same price. Ugly Stiks will always be fine for hucking big catfish rigs though.

Mah nig who is always at that one lake, he runs that big Abu Revo Toro reel with some long (maybe 7'6") Ugly Stik with mono. It's so fucking funny watching him try to set the hook on a Texas rig. He feels a bite, puts the rod tip all the way down, tightens up the line, and then rips the rod back so hard. It's like he is trying to cast as far as possible, but in reverse.
>>
Out in saltwater braid prooves useful when the bigger fish bite, I run straight braid on my saltwater baitcaster because of the capacitt. You use the thicker braid since its easier to cast, at least 50#. On reels that I will be casting constantly I run at least 300yds of braid and then top the rest of the reel with mono, cause fuck casting straight braid on a conventional a far distance, you might as well kiss your thumb skin goodbye. This doesn't apply to spinners though.

For freshwater I wouldn't use less than 30#braid, you can put 150yds of that in a 200 sice reel. Then run a flouro leader the length of the rod
>>
>>816206
It tears your thumb up that bad? Are your hands normally wet and pruned or just because you're out there all day?
>>
>>816208
Well your casting a 3 oz jig 60-100 yards out with a conventional reel on a 9' or 10' rod, no levelwind, those reels spin fast. Mono helps, but even then you want to wet your line at least a little. When I was first learning to do this I casted with dry mono and had a huge burn blister on my thumb, braid is super abrasive and problaby worse, also, mono absorbs the shock of the fish hitting the lure better.
>>
Amateur fisher here. I went on the local pier (on the gulf of mexico, Texas) and threw some squid out on an ultra lightweight setup. Only caught one small trout and a small cat. Everything else was EELS. FUCKING EELS.

So, my question is:

Do eels hit harder than other fish comparable to their size? Because fuck man a small 1 ft eel was making my rod bend like a motherfucker and he felt like he was going to strain my hand more than when I go on my two hour edging sessions.
>>
>>816208
Pretty clear that you have absolutely no experience with serious gear
>>
>>816254
Could be because they'll swim backwards and roll to try and throw the hook, could just be because you were using light gear. If you want to get into some sharks, live or dead bait the eels out under a balloon. Guaranteed hooks ups.
>>
Mono casts further and is cheaper (significantly) the feel is negligibly worse than braid

I've never lost a fish on mono or had any less feel

Braid is too played out

I've got monster bass in weeds with 6# mono you just have to work the fish out a bit more than if you used braid you could just rip it out

I pitched a 1/16th slider head with a mini craw on it and had a 7# bass wrap me around lillypads yet I was still able to land it
>>
>>816289
Tbh a rod is only gonna cast as far as it is long. its hard to get line out past say 25 yards, with 12lb mono, 6" fluke, and a drop 1/4oz drop sinker, on a 6 foot pole. lol

if you're shore fishing, u may feel retarded, but man-o-man. a 8' or 10' pole is god-tier.

SURE. there are some "guys" out there that "claim" 200 yards, on 7' rod, but its about as rare as catching an octopus in the saint johns river.
>>
>>816168
I've been fishing for over 40 years and in these threads are the only place I've heard of those terms. The former looks like a good way to get plastic worms chopped up and the later looks like an excellent way to get snagged.

As far as what type of fishing line a person should use, it literally does not matter so long as the lure does what it is supposed to do (catch fish).
>>
>>816262
I don't into saltwater, you know that. I'm just a silly bass fisherman. But at least the saltwater hasn't made me all salty. Thanks for answering the question.

>>816213
After thinking about it a little more, I remembered people talking about how you have to use your fingers to level out the line. That doesn't sound fun with braid, especially a big reel with a high ratio.
>>
>>816307
Kek

The wacky worm and drop shot does seem like a bit of a meme. I haven't had shit for luck with the wacky rigs yet. Drop shot could be good with some of these lakes with underwater grass or mud.

I think they are both a newer fad, which explains why I would have no clue about them. I gave up fishing from like 2000 until a few years ago. When I came back, I had no clue what Lew's was.
>>
Here is a question you guys might kill me over, but what homemade bsits and cheap stuff can I use as bait.

I saw a few youtube videos like this; using something like candy to catch bass.

Another idea would be to make a worm-like figure out of corn.

Or taking thin strips of fatty meat.

I mean if these artificial worms work what about something like a gummy worm?
>>
>>816322
There's a few pics of anons making their own topwater lures, they are kinda funny. But if the bass are actually feeding on the top and you could get some action to the lure, it would probably work. You could easily make some stuff with wood, hooks, and random shit from the hobby shop.

Texas-rig a gummy worm if you want. It will get really sticky and dissolve in the water, but the fish will probably hit it if the thing wiggles. A package of Yum worms from Walmart is probably cheaper than the gummy worms though.
>>
>>816317
It could be that I'm not into fishing culture. I don't watch TV or watch fishing shows. The people I fish with don't talk about fishing.

Then again I don't buy lures and such anymore. I just make my own now. Last time I checked everything looked the same as it did 20 years ago.
>>
>>816337
What are you making?

I don't watch fishing TV shows either. With the lures, some stuff has changed a little but the main stuff is pretty much the same. There's always going to be a new fad like these light up and vibrating crankbaits but I'm normally not the first one to jump on them. I remember the "As Seen on TV" stuff as a kid and none of it really lasts.

Still gotta try those chatterbaits one day just to see what they are all about.
>>
>>816347
>What are you making?

Mostly wooden lures and flies/poppers. Stuff that mimic baitfish and insects. Just freshwater stuff since it is like 600 miles to the nearest ocean.

I've been too busy to make anything lately, but I'm stocked up with enough flies and poppers to last a long long time. I need to find time to make more wooden lures.

As far as lure changes over the decades, not much has happened. The most successful stuff merely mimics what the fish eat in the wild. Thus, there's not much change away from those patterns. It is all about movement and color. Everything else is a moot point unless you're fishing for turtles then scent plays the biggest role.
>>
>>816328
fuck your a poorfag
>>816347
>I don't watch fishing TV shows either
clearly because you have no idea what your talking about most of the time
>>
>>816357
Fuck turtles. It would be cool to have a little lathe or some other woodworking stuff and mad paint skillz to make Rapala-type lures. You would still have to figure out the lips though which is why topwater is probably the easiest since you don't have to get plastics involved.

And I'll stop before we get the wild claim that lures haven't changed since the 50s because that's another story.
>>
>>816358
Kek so salty.

Keep them bold claims comin
>>
snook hits
>2 snook hookups
>tried to flip the first one over the pier because he was small and the line broke
>second one nobody brought a net fast enough and it broke
>ended up looking like a fool

JUST
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
At least I got this neat sennet.
>>
>>816371
*5 snook hits

I was away from my rod every time looking for more bait.
>>
>>816371
>>816375
Juno?

Like every day right around sunset I debate going to the piet and tossing some lures for fun but I keep going on other missions. I just don't want to deal with crowded fishing spots when I'm tryin to enjoy my weekend.

I kinda want to go check out this peacock spot somebody told me about but may just lounge instead.
>>
>>816377
Yes, Juno. Do you want to know what I caught that sennet on? A fucking lure just like most of my catches on the pier. Stop making excuses and go throw some lures into the sea senpai. You'll thank me later.
>>
File: 213213.gif (2MB, 376x214px) Image search: [Google]
213213.gif
2MB, 376x214px
>>816371
>>816375
>actively breaking the line
>net too far away
>not watching your rod
>>
>>816388
I know I fucked up hard but breaking your line is super common here. The snook run around the rocky pilings the second they get hooked.
>>
File: IMG_20160717_095456232.jpg (211KB, 770x398px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160717_095456232.jpg
211KB, 770x398px
You think 550 has a 105th use of being a good lure?

I feel like giving it a try just because, can anyone give me some ideas on how to modify it maybe?
>>
File: image.jpg (267KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267KB, 640x1136px
>>816384
When going from the pier, what do you look for as far as the tide? What are the prime times?

Deerfield is open 24hrs on Fri and Sat night so I thought maybe I could try and get there at like 4:30am on a Sunday and try to grab a good spot.

The inlet looks more appealing though. I could get on the south side of the inlet, and either go closer to the bridge or try and go out by the beach. What about tide and times for the inlet? There are normally less kids and tourist families over there.
>>
>>816393
You broke your line for a completely unrelated reason. That's actively breaking it. Having a fish tangle it up is completely different.
>>
posted in last thread before I realized it was dedded
>816382
>>
>>816395
That image makes my skin crawl. If I can even see a building of any time from where I'm fishing I don't like it.
>>
>>816394
well ill be damned, I should have googled it first
>>
>>816396
The line was frayed due to him running around the pilings. I've flipped them before with frayed #80 leader before but I guess it was worse than I thought. I still fucked up pretty bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (298KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298KB, 640x1136px
>>816394
A lot of the soft plastics use salt in them for flavoring. What if you make a totally saturated water and salt solution, soak them in there and let them dry out. Then put some sort of weight at one end, a hook somewhere in it, and the end opposite of the hook, leave some of the frayed inner strands (1/2"-1") sticking out to look like a tail. Could look like some long baitfish or worm with its head sticking in the mud digging for food.

>>816384
>>816395
Looks like there may be some good spots in Hollywood. Don't know if you have ever been down there, but when going down Sheridan towards the beach, there are these lakes which are probably brackish and then the intercoastal. It is just a bit south of Port Everglades and that big inlet.
>>
>>816398
Yeah but without a boat or going into the Everglades, you're going to have to deal with it.

It's not like there are a ton of tourist hotels there though. On the north side of that inlet, it is multi-million dollar homes. The south side is a lot of smaller single family homes and then tons of condo buildings.
>>
Think I'm go to the river and see what I can get today,
Probably more brookies
>>
>>816407
God damn Pepsi fag it looks like being in Florida really pays off in this thread

All I got is surf fishing and a lagoon here in San Diego
>>
just put 15 lb fluoro on my abu silver max.

might not go back to mono since this seems to work bretty good.
>>
Thinking about more lure ideas to test out just for the heck of it.

Spaghetti; cooked obviously. Maybe you can add a bunch of salt to the boiling or a broth to give it a flavor? Youd have to tie it to the hook, but i think even tieing it would sort of cut on it. I need some ideas on how to properly set it on a hook.
>>
>>816461
Just remember that lures are going to run deeper. It's easy to lose a lot of lures on snags when first switching to flouro.

>>816462
Post pics when you make this crazy shit
>>
>>816469
what if I slice a hotdog like a squid or something.

basically keep the end but start cutting down into the hotdog in half from the other end so it looks like a banana peel; trim it down perhaps so it's not massive for some things.

im really interested in cheap and odd baits
>>
>>816477
I've used hotdogs for bluegill and shit. Only problem is they don't like to stay on the hook unless you go through the skin, and even that doesn't hold too well.

If you can get past that, go for it.
>>
>>816462
Flavor for lures is not needed. That is just a human-bait marketing technique. Like those pet foods in the shape of fish, bones, and such.

Very fish fish are nibblers. Most strike hard and swallow things whole.

As for how to attach it to a hook. There are many ways. You can attach it to the hook when it is uncooked then cook everything together. You can poke the uncooked spaghetti into something that you can bait the hook with then cook it (pic related).

I recommend undercooking it so that it is bendable but won't deteriorate or break when casting/reeling in.
>>
>>816477
Buy bread and fish for carp

Chum the water, wait for carp, catch said carp
>>
>>816309
>I remembered people talking about how you have to use your fingers to level out the line. That doesn't sound fun with braid, especially a big reel with a high ratio.

you can get a mark on your leveling finger, but you can also prevent it by wrapping it in flex wrap
>>
also, heres a poll to settle out this braid debate
>>
File: bvis.jpg (9KB, 275x192px) Image search: [Google]
bvis.jpg
9KB, 275x192px
>>816501
actual poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/10768864
>>
File: WishiWasFishing.jpg (156KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
WishiWasFishing.jpg
156KB, 720x960px
Been sick as a dog the last couple of days. Got invited to two differnt trips but couldnt go. My friends caught some nice bass and catfish on those trips.

How do you deal with not being able to fish while others are slaying them?
>>
File: 20160717_175918.jpg (577KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_175918.jpg
577KB, 1280x720px
Finally have a baitcaster setup, gotta say i cant believe i waited this long.
>>
>>816530
You didn't spool very much on there...
>>
>>816532
Just took it out for a practice and i have new braid arriving tomorrow, didnt fancy the task of taking it back off.
>>
>>816530
congrats, your a man now
>>
File: Strong_Spirit.png (571B, 70x96px) Image search: [Google]
Strong_Spirit.png
571B, 70x96px
>>816480
Im also wondering what kind of fish you can get with something like a pasta.

How picky are fish? i know it varies on species.

It seems to me that sunnies and carp will eat anything, then trout.

Part of me thinking spaghetti will fail is because it doesnt look like anything on their diet anyways, but maybe it's just the worm-like-motion that matters.
>>
File: 20160717_141044.jpg (988KB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_141044.jpg
988KB, 2080x1560px
Orange mepps 3 strikes again!
>>
>>816438
I would an hero 1000X before I'd move to FLA
>>
>>816545
how do you set up a rig with a mepps? by the looks of it you just need a swivel, mepps, some stopper, then the hook/lure

Im guessing the fish dont actually bite the mepps but it's to draw more attention to the dull bait
>>
>>816563
They see it as a baitfish and attack the entire thing.
>>
>>816564
hmm so bait on the hook isnt actually necessary? The mepps alone does it.
>>
>>816438
Feels bad man. People can catch redfish, snook, and tarpon in 5 feet of water in Florida while I have to get in a boat to the islands if I want to catch bigger fish in SoCal
>>
>>816566
I don't bother with live bait
I just wait for something to hit the lure then set the hook
So long as the lure is moving the fish will hit the hook
In this case the hook went through his cheek, borderline foul hooked in the face
>>
File: 20160110_115324.jpg (468KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20160110_115324.jpg
468KB, 1280x960px
>>816563
The Orange mepps 3 in one of the boxes on the right is the lure I caught the pike with
I just clip that whole thing onto the swivel
>>
>>816576
i forgot they come as a whole package and such, so no need to space it out.

another question is how to effectively set up a 3 way rig, you know a 3 way swivel with a weight + hook separated. I wanna do that for catfishing.

Should the line for the weight be weaker than the rest of the rig? Maybe there's a weaker knot to use? I like the thought of pulling out a snag and only the weight being lost
>>
>>816578
I'm not sure what you're asking
If you're concerned about losing lures in the weeds you could get snagless hooks with a weight built in
>>
File: 1.jpg (307KB, 973x1357px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
307KB, 973x1357px
>>816566
For most fish, live/cut bait isn't needed. You only need the lure to mimic the type of foods they normally eat. Most lures that look like bait fish will get hits on a wide range of target fish. this is because most bait fish lures act like bait fish that are injured and are away from their school/shoal.

Take this "lure" I made no more than 2 hours ago. Every single cast brought in a sunfish. It is a hook and some flashy plastic ribbon for typing xmas presents and doing crafts. It mimics a small injured minnow.
>>
File: DSCN4910b.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4910b.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>816593
Here is the same "lure" in action.
>>
File: 1458247279723.webm (386KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1458247279723.webm
386KB, 480x360px
>>816594
>>816593
Even nature uses artificial lures.
>>
>>816593
>>816594
so basically fish are really bad at getting details out of what they're eating, and just look for a few flags like shinny+moving.
>>
>>816602

pretty much, if it looks like food, its probably food so they go for it.

Then there's reaction bites, thats when the fish are not actually hungry, but you get a lure that might piss them off or do something that triggers them to bite when they are not actually feeding.
>>
Whoo town cops going their job kicking out all the noisy disrespectful people from the river
>>
>>816605
This happens a lot during spawning when panfish are protecting a nest of eggs. Just plop anything with a hook into the nest and they will remove it.
>>
How exactly do you remove the hook from a fish you caught? Ive usually been grabbing the fish at the neck (eurofag so im talking about pike, perch and zander/walleye) and removed the hook by hand or with an artery clamp if he swallowed.

Recently I got fucked though and rammed one of the hooks of a little illex wobbler so deep into my hand I had to drive to the hospital to let them cut it out.

so yeah, how do you prevent getting fucked when the fish shakes, especially if there are multiple hooks on the bait and one is swinging freely?
>>
>>816618
With smaller fish I just use my hand. With larger fish I use needle nosed pliers. If they swallowed a non-lure hook deeply, I just slice the fish open and retrieve it.

I never get hooked by fish hooks, so I merely grab the big lure with multiple treble hooks and use that as leverage to remove whatever ones are in the fish. i won't do that with anything like a big catfish or musky of course. I wear gloves for those. For bass and smaller it doesn't matter it seems.
>>
>>816618
nothing like a good set of long nose pliers to remove hooks, just grab the hook and twist it off.
>>
>>816618
>How exactly do you remove the hook from a fish you caught?
Pliers
>>
>>816530
How is that cheap China reel?

And is it just me, or is that hook keeper on upside down? Just woke up from a nap so I may just be retarded.

>>816532
Ehh, at least they don't lose a ton of casting distance like spinning reels when they are low on line.
>>
>>816651
>...PepsiFag !n/ZnkB9jUw
Yeah you're retarded
>>
>>816651
>Ehh, at least they don't lose a ton of casting distance like spinning reels when they are low on line.

I think can affect the drag, but not by a significant amount
>>
>>816652
That too but why is the opening for the hook keeper on the rod facing the tip of the rod and not the handle?
>>
>>816654
Yeah you would have to adjust accordingly. And with less line, the spool spins faster while casting and the retrieve is a little slower. But I was running a baitcaster low on line for a couple weeks and it didn't make a big difference on casting. Nothing like trying to cast a spinning reel that is only 2/3 full.
>>
File: 20160713_150940.jpg (555KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160713_150940.jpg
555KB, 1280x720px
>>816651
Actually not too shiggy. Its real smooth and nicely built, definately a good place to start.
>>
>>816530
>>816651
Also yeah, looks to be upside down, weird but works better if anything.
>>
Hey fellas when would I want to put a weight on the end of my line? And should I be putting my crankbaits right on my swivel?
>>
>>816664
Weights are for a ton of different things, but normally not hard lures like cranks or spinners. Different weights for different soft plastic rigs. Also for live bait.

And if you are running a snap swivel, just hook it up to the ring on the crankbait.
>>
>want to spend $400 on new setup
>have only gone fishing 2 weeks this summer
>still cant convince myself I dont need it

bass pro here I come
>>
>>816714
God speed anon. What're you getting?
>>
>>816716
shimano stradic FK reel and g. loomis e6x rod. Im going to have to lie to people when I go fishing now because if I tell someone I payed $400 on a bass setup they will think im mentally retarded and I think I might be tbqhwy
>>
>>816720
>$400 to catch a fish that barely pulls drag even when they're 10 pounds
>>
>>816725
ive been fishing since I was 6 and have only had two reels ever break on me (two cheap as shit baitcasters). Ever since then ive only bought quality equipment that I regularly maintain and it will last me for decades. I think of my fishing stuff as tools and when buying a tool you look at durability and usability, both of which are achieved by that setup
>>
>>816725
forgot to mention I will also be using it for pike when we go on our yearly Canada trip
>>
>>816731
400 bucks on a bass combo is completely absurd. You can get a combo that will last you forever for half that price. If you told me you were getting pike or saltwater fish that would be a bit more understandable.
>>
>>816503

meme confirmed for braid.
>>
>>816738
well first off im not that much of a poorfag so $400 isnt the end of the world. Secondly what is wrong with spending that on something that I just said I will use for years and years? why would I chain myself to a sub par rod/reel when I know there is stuff so much better out there and for not even that much more?
>>
>>816739
What about it is a meme tho?
>>
>>816742
It's not a matter of being poor or rich it's just dumb.
>>
>>816623
>>816627
>>816649
>pliers

yeah, but how do you fixate/grab the fish? for example a small perch like >>816658 , the hook would be close as fuck to my hand. Should Ijust wear a glove? Never did because I dont want to injure the slime-layer, but thats still better than injuring myself.
>>
>>816742
>what is point of diminishing returns
>>
>>816744
just saying "its just dumb" means nothing. I just provided two points in which it makes complete sense. Also are you new to fishing or something? there are baitcasters that by themselves cost more then my entire setup
>>
>>816746
you clearly dont know the difference between a quality reel and a cheap wallmart one lmao
>>
>>816742
I don't think it's unreasonable, but is a $200 spinning reel that much better than a $100 one? I've never spent more than $80 a spinning reel, and I don't see how they could get much better.
>>
>>816745

if you wear a glove you'll be doing more harm cause you'll take slime and scales off the fish. Just grab the fish by the head and don't be a pussy
>>
>>816750
When you spend the entire day on the water like I do you will with out a doubt notice a difference. After about 500 casts you will be thanking yourself for making the right choice. Next time you see someone with a nice reel/rod ask if you can try it out.
>>
>>816758

>not citing what differences you would notice
>>
>>816757
>if you wear a glove you'll be doing more harm cause you'll take slime and scales off the fish.

thats literally what I said. I have always just grabbed them, but I dont really fancy hooking myself again.

Has anyone tried pinching off or patting down the barbs on hooks? I guess that would make it easier to dehook myself.
>>
>>816745
for small fish (perch, gills etc..) just slide your hand over their back folding down their spin and just grip them in your fist while you take the hook out. anything that has size to it and doesnt have teeth you can just grab them by the lip. For large fish that can be hard to hold on to or have teeth you can use fish grips that will clamp down on their jaw and allow you to un hook
>>
>>816761
the weight and smoothness are the two main factors, depending on the reel you will aslo see a noticeable casting difference
>>
>>816766
grab them by the gill plate then?
>>
>>816758
>>816770
>noticeable casting differences

How? It's just line coming off of a spool. I agree 100% with a baitcaster, but I just don't really see how it can be improved that much with a spinning reel.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>816779
thats more on the part of the rod over the reel when talking about spinning reels. obviously all that happens on a spinning reel is you flip the bail and let the line fly. the most you can do to optimize casting on a spinner is to have any point of contact between the line and reel to be as friction less as possible
>>
>>816738
>>816742
>>816750
When you start getting into the highet price range stuff, a lot of it is the materials. The shielded and ceramic bearings will be good for saltwater and smooth overall. And the reels will be lighter, as well as the rods being lighter. That baitcaster combo is so damn light compared to my other baitcaster and any of the spinning combos and you can feel the difference at the end of the day.

And if you take care of your shit, spending $300-$400 on a bass combo isn't crazy if you have the money. But a $75-$100 combo will last years too if you aren't a dumbass.

>inb4 salty troll anon talks shit just to talk shit

>>816743
Salty anon is just salty. Braid is nice to have in a lot of conditions. There is still a place for mono aside from being cheaper. But when I'm ripping through weeds and snags fishing from shore, I enjoy being able to run 20lb+ line on a medium weight combo and having that peace of mind.
>>
>>816784
now that I think of it I honestly havnt used mono for anything other then for backing for braid all year. braid has so much less reel memory (comes off the reel straight not in curls like mono/flouro) and doesn't stretch which helps a lot when pond fishing. Obviously there are many situations that I wouldnt use braid but lately thats all ive needed
>>
>>816749
>says the 'tard who spends $400 on a combo to catch dinks in his local pond

I have more fun catching fluke with my $200 combo than you ever will.
>>
>>816785
Braid is pretty based.

I have been thinkin about putting flouro on one reel again just to have it but I really can't think of any real benefits other than it will make lures run deeper, which I don't want most of the time when I'm fishing from shore.

>>816784
>>816779
Was thinkin about that spinning reel quandry more and while the diminishing returns thing is probably true, it is like that for basically every consumer product. Once you get to a certain price point, they can't pack any more bearings into a reel and are already using high end materials for shit that matters. That is probably around $200 for a spinning reel and beyond that you are probably paying just to get something special.

There is a big jump between $40 reels and $75-$100 reels though. There will be a few more parts inside that will keep shit from failing or getting loose. But once you get above that mid-range price for spinning reels, that is when not much changes besides materials. There aren't that many parts inside of spinning reels and it isn't like manufacturers are saving the good geometry for the $200 reels.

That's just what I've seen when lookin around at reels and taking some apart.

>>816799
Hey man, catchin dinks from the pond is still fun sometimes. But yeah that's probably the same dude who said a beginner should spend $200-$250 on a combo to try their hand fishing for bass and bluegill at local lakes.
>>
>>816799
That's a whole lotta implying lmao
>>
File: TARPON.jpg (127KB, 792x576px) Image search: [Google]
TARPON.jpg
127KB, 792x576px
>>816801
It's time for you to become a salty pepsifag. Then you can then look down upon the freshies like how a nobleman sees peasants.
>>
>>816801
I'm not sayin it isn't fun every once in a while but is it really worth getting a 400 dollar combo for some meme-tier fish?
>>
>>816814
I know. I was just down at the beach too by the lighthouse and that inlet. I wasn't fishing but it looks like I could probably walk down the beach and get on those jetties at the outer side of the inlet.
>>
>>816815
Hell no. If you don't have the money to blow on it, it isn't worth spending $400 on a combo for freshwater. Even saltwater from shore, that is quite a bit to spend on a spinning setup.
>>
>>816813
You'll totally be just like Kevin VanDamโ„ข with that combo bro! Just don't forget to add on a LiveTargetโ„ข Baitball and some Strike King Perfect Plasticsโ„ข to your purchase!
>>
>>816819
>Even saltwater from shore, that is quite a bit to spend on a spinning setup.

I have a penn ssv 5500 loaded with #30 braid and a 9ft penn surf rod that has worked great for me and that's barely breaking past $200.
>>
>>816820
Lmfao... Someone buying something better then what you have triggers you this much? It's just a fucking fishing pole dude, I like to fish, I like nice stuff, I got a nice fishing pole. That simple
>>
>>816820
Those Strike Kingโ„ข Perfect Plasticsโ„ข are pretty sweet. Sucks paying $6/pk when Zooms are right next to them for $3/pk. Not as bad as Yamamotos, $8/pk for some stik baits.

The one thing about those Perfect Plastics is they make the best paddle tail shads I have tried. The grooves on the top and bottom are perfect and the hook stays in there so well. And the size is perfect too, they are a little smaller than the Zoom Super Flukes but larger than the Jr's.

And I'm so glad I didn't pay $17.99 for those BaitBalls.
>>
>>816821
Yeah there are a ton of really nice options for way less. Even the ~$100 Penn setups aren't bad at all for some shore fishing. Not like they are going to shit out on you after 3 months.

I'm not tryin to get into this argument, but $400 is cool if you have a big budget for fishing stuff but you don't need to spend anywhere close to that to get a spinning combo that will hold up for years.
>>
File: jack crevalle wesley.jpg (425KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
jack crevalle wesley.jpg
425KB, 1600x1200px
>>816814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOuZDdB3-E
>tfw I have never caught a tarpon

>>816822
Nobody cares except for one anon, enjoy your 400 dollar bass combo. A fool and his money etc.
>>
>>816820
>LiveTargetโ„ข Baitball
That has to be one of the spiciest meme lures in existence. They just look like a normal crankbait underwater lmao
>>
>>816827
Fuck, now that's a spinning combo!

On Friday I was working in this area with lots of little lakes by these shopping centers and roads. I saw some black dude with a ~9' surf rod on the shore of this little lake and he was just holding it over the weeds dipping whatever tiny bait in for bluegill or mayans. A little overkill.
>>
>>816826
>Even the ~$100 Penn setups aren't bad at all for some shore fishing.
The fierce combos? I have a 4000 fierce on a 7ft ugly stik that I use for bass fishing and shore/pier fishing. I've submerged it in saltwater and have even dropped it in sand and it still held up well until I got home and cleaned it. You can't go wrong with them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>816829
I gotta try em more when the water cools off and see if they actually catch anything. I paid $7ea for em, which is straight for a random crankbait.

I still want to grab a couple of those Megabass poppers but $20+ for a single hard bait sucks. It's a lot more about choosing the correct type of lure for the conditions. Even most of the cheap stuff will do work as long as you pick the right one at the right time. Except for the Bass Pro inline spinners. Those suck.
>>
File: 300lb yft.jpg (33KB, 300x579px) Image search: [Google]
300lb yft.jpg
33KB, 300x579px
>>816827

fuck tarpoon, 300lb+ tuna is where its at, can't wait to that in like 5-10 years once I have a real job and enough money
>>
>>816831
Yeah those. And then I think the Battles are closer to $150 and Spinfishers around $200. Somebody mentioned they aren't a fan of the rod on the Fierce combos but a lot of that is preference and not beating the hell out of them.

If I finally start saltwater fishing more, I want to get down on a Battle or Spinfisher setup.
>>
>>816836
I got my ssv on ebay for way cheaper than retail and the prevail surf rod at dicks for $80. It's super smooth, the drag is incredible and the gears/drag are sealed but I'd still be perfectly happy with just a fierce.
>>
File: DSCN4895a.jpg (573KB, 1024x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4895a.jpg
573KB, 1024x1532px
8" Lure I made today. It is made from old lure parts and trash, literally trash.
>>
File: Lure Action Test.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lure Action Test.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>816846
I don't know which is better, making lures or trolling /out/ with them.

Here's what the action looks like.
>>
>>816841
Bass Pro has so many of their Offshore Angler combos at my local stores too. They copy the Penn color schemes too and they look exactly the same until you see the logo.

I wonder how those are. I would still want a Penn instead but wouldn't be opposed to grabbing one of those if it were on sale for the low.
>>
>>816846
are you poor?
>>
>>816846
>>816847
I like seeing the homemade lures.

What is that reflective silver tape or whatever from?
>>
File: 1299023409688.jpg (53KB, 530x535px) Image search: [Google]
1299023409688.jpg
53KB, 530x535px
>>816847
>>816846
>>816593
>>816594
>unironically using lures made out of trash in a stocked pond to impress people anonymously on a chinese cartoon forum.
>>
File: Flies and Popper.jpg (2MB, 2096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
Flies and Popper.jpg
2MB, 2096x3072px
>>816849
>>816852
I have to test design movement and looks using trash before putting effort into a final design. There's nothing worse than making 100 lures or 1 $50 lure only to find that they work terribly in the water.

Also, if you can't cobble something together out of trash and catch fish with it, you have some skill sets you are lacking in.

>>816851
Same stuff in >>816593 and >>816594 which is super glued to the synthetic cork.
>>
>>816857
I'm an adult with an income. I spend my arts and crafts time fishing with lures I fucking bought.
>>
File: DSCN3409a.jpg (131KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3409a.jpg
131KB, 1024x768px
>>816858
>>816852
>I don't know which is better, making lures or trolling /out/ with them.

4chan never ceases to amaze me.

Does this one fit your budget, kid?
>>
>>816858
Damn, you're lucky son. I fish to save money. Wish I could make my own lures, would save me even more cash.
>>
>>816858
I don't get why people are mad this guy has a hobby of recycling trash to make fishing baits
>>
>>816878
>I fish to save money

I've been thinking about getting back into fishing for this reason, and figured if I could break even on equipment cost vs. equivalent amount of grocery-store fish I could justify the buy-in.

Would you say you manage to break even or even net-positive, and if so how?
>>
>>816907
How much meat do you buy by weight every week? For example, lets say you buy 1 lbs of beef every week for $1.

Now get an equal amount of fish instead. So I catch a pound of fish and saved a dollar for that week.

Now lets move it to using real money. Source I have says in June the price of 100% ground beef was $3.725/lbs. So in one month I would save $14.90 if I swapped one pound of ground beef each week for one pound of freshly caught fish.

Now my fishing licence was $19. So in one month, by eating a pound of fish I caught instead of beef I bought, I almost make back the cost of my licence. So fishing just over the normal summer months would not only let you break even, but even become net-positive versus the price of your licence. Equipment will put you in the hole for a bit longer, but if you catch enough and fish long enough you'll break even and then become net-positive. If you save $15 a month then at the end of the year you'll have $180. Which is about what it would cost for a decent combo setup, some lures, licence, and misc shit you need/want to fish. Then next year you won't need to re-buy everything so you end up with more and more savings until you become net-positive.

Sauce on food prices:
http://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/data/AverageRetailFoodAndEnergyPrices_USandMidwest_Table.htm
>>
>>816919
Considering I live in Hawaii where beef is $9/lb and the ocean is two blocks away I probably should have already been fishing. Good to know I'm not just overly optimistic, thanks anon.
>>
>>816322
If you have a drill, aluminum can top, epoxy , a paper clip, a pet cat/dog or bunny, some thread, beads and a hollow core weight you can make an inline spinner.

Use your imagination.
>>
>>816903
Because he's acting pretentious and those lures wouldn't catch anything outside of a stocked pond with fish who bite anything.
>>
File: Aquaculture&Farming.jpg (2MB, 2044x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Aquaculture&Farming.jpg
2MB, 2044x2304px
>>816878
>>816907
>>816903
>>816919
>>816923
Making lures is really easy. You have to remember the fish don't give a shit about how much the lure costs. They only care that it seems to be food to them. I mean look at the lure in >>816593 >>816594 catching fish.

The tiny plug lure you see in this image was made from the wood of a twig and some cheap dollar store spray paint over a screen. It is still cheap, but looks better. The thing is, this one and the one in >>816593 are equally effective.

If you are just fishing to eat, you can use pretty much whatever equipment you want. That's anything from a simple cane pole to a Daiwa Air pole.

All I ever need really is a cane pole and a hook with a strip of material on it. From there I can catch bait fish to be used live/as stripbait for larger fish like bass, musky, or cat fish. or just catch panfish for food. As for license, I haven't had one for decades since my property and my relatives' properties have a rivers, and few ponds I can fish on without a license.
>>
File: ohm trolling device.jpg (1MB, 3338x5000px) Image search: [Google]
ohm trolling device.jpg
1MB, 3338x5000px
>>816934
I seem to have hooked a big one.
>>
>>816857
>>816860
>>816941
I remember that LED one.

Those are all your original ones? Might have to put them on the imgur.
>>
>>816939
any bass in those rivers and ponds?

also, we posting cooked fish now?
>>
File: DSCN3399a.jpg (2MB, 3073x3278px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3399a.jpg
2MB, 3073x3278px
>>816947
lol Yeah, they are. Sometimes I make them specifically for trolling morons. The hilarious part is that they always catch fish and even more trolls

>>816953
Yeah. Mostly sunfish, a few bass types, and a few catfish types. I normally don't target anything else. Though, catfish and musky sorta go hand-in-hand since I use live bait for catfish and the musky hit that stuff pretty hard usually.

>also, we posting cooked fish now?

Looks great.
>>
>>816957
You aren't baiting anyone, though.

Some of your shit looks good but you're still a retard.
>>
File: DSCN4915a.jpg (943KB, 2040x2300px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4915a.jpg
943KB, 2040x2300px
>>816960
It's even better when I tell them they are being baited. The bite even harder then. They can't help themselves.

Here's another. Hot off the assembly line.
>>
>>816969
You're one of those faggots who thinks they're smarter than everyone else.

Everyone knows you're attempting to troll, guy.
>>
File: 1387671747041.jpg (23KB, 436x432px) Image search: [Google]
1387671747041.jpg
23KB, 436x432px
>>816969
>>
File: asdfw22.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
asdfw22.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
So, today was the last day of my local sports authority being open, snagged these for about $2 each.
>>
>>816923

Enjoy your ciguatera poisoning.
>>
>>817006
Well it's either that or chance our current Hepatitis outbreak from store-bought fish.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
>>
>>816571
Its all that kelp you gotta get past.
>>
File: TarponIsKing.jpg (44KB, 402x604px) Image search: [Google]
TarponIsKing.jpg
44KB, 402x604px
>>816835
>Doesn't jump during the fight
Fuck Tuna. I've seen tarpon do gainers (thats a spin and a flip) 5 ft out of the water. When a tuna is done fighting its over. If a tarpon gulps air, you have a brand new fight. Plus you dont have to go all the way the fuck out to Guadalupe Island on some party boat to catch the silver king.
>>
>>817011

I thought it was from ice cream? Not on Oahu so I haven't been following that very closely.
>>
>>817017
Fly fishing for tarpon is my wet dream
>>
>>817005
Never seen those X-Rap Countdowns. But if I saw any X-Rap for $2, I probably would grab like all of them.
>>
>>816846
have you tried remelting soft plastic bait?
>>
>>817066
That would be cool, make a clay model of some sort of creature bait or worm, make a plaster mold from that, melt old soft plastics, and then pour them into the mold.

I would gladly hold onto my torn up soft plastics and mail them to anon instead of throwing them in the bushes.
>>
File: chingchongworms.jpg (982KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
chingchongworms.jpg
982KB, 2048x1536px
do senkos catch fish? what colos you guys use
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>817070
I'm a big fan of the thinner worms like Zoom Finesse Worms and Trick Worms rather than senkos or stick baits. Seems like they have a little more action to them. Although I have used the Zoom Fluke Sticks a little bit which are like senkos with a fish tail on one end. I mostly use Texas rigs though but I recently grabbed a few bags of senkos for wacky rigs.

Color depends on the fishing conditions. If you try out some Zoom stuff, I really like their "Sprayed Grass" color for all sorts of conditions. It has worked for me in clear water to medium water to really murky. Sometimes chartruese colors do work in clear water and in murky green water or with underwater grass I like to do dark colors like Junebug.

If I'm running Texas rigs on the bottom I often prefer creature baits like lizards or brush hogs over the worms. Lots of movement with the tails and legs to entice the bass.
>>
>>816969
Autism
>>
>>817006
>>817011
>>817026
How can you keep from getting it?

Clean fish as soon as possible after they are caught or purchased.
Do not eat the head, guts, liver or roe (eggs) of any reef fish, especially those of sharks and eels.
Avoid eating fish caught at sites known to have a ciguatoxic algae problem.
Ciguatoxin is not destroyed by heat, cooking, drying, salting, or freezing the fish. Also, ciguatoxin has no smell and will not change the taste or appearance of the fish. So it is impossible to easily identify a fish that may contain the toxin.

>Hepatitis outbreak from fish./ice cream

Jesus fucking Christ civilization, get your shit together.

>>817017
>tfw never saltwater fishing because landlocked flyover state
>tfw using top water baits and hooking monster bass
>tfw hooking Musky and Norther Pike and having them jump up to 4 feet or more out of the water as you're fighting them
>tfw when watching videos on YT of leaping saltwater fish
>tfw comparing them is like comparing sunfish leaping to Musky leaping

Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>816766
I pinch barbs on everything if I expect it will be catch & release, ie spring schoolie striper run. Makes it MUCH easier to remove the hook and I expect it would be easier to remove if you snagged yourself.
>>
>>817081
>>tfw hooking Musky and Norther Pike and having them jump up to 4 feet or more out of the water as you're fighting them
Out of all of the stories that have never happened in this general, this one happened the least.
>>
how do you guys kill your fish?
>>
>>817082
>snags

This reminds me, does anyone else use a weighted snag remover? It is this metal coil thing you put on the line that slides down the line like it is a zipline and rams into the hook/lure to bump it off the snag. It is heavy and has a cord attached to it so you can pull on it to rebump it or retrieve it.

I've not seen anyone use them since the 1980s when they were a big thing on the market. They really really help.

>>817083
I don't understand? The ones I hook are always showy like that. But, that is the biggest problem, they typically turn the hook when they jump like that and get away, which really sucks. When you are on the bank you have some running room to take up the slack, but on a boat you are not as maneuverable to pull back enough to take up the slack. It is the same with bass, but there's far less hook turning with bass because Musky and Norther Pike have hard bony mouths that the hooks don't dig into as easily.

I've only ever landed like 20-25 Musky or Northern Pike in my entire life time, but I've hooked tons of them. They can be extremely frustrating, but it is always exciting.

>>817085
I sing to them.
>>
>>817086
Forgot photo of the lure retriever. this one looks different than the one I used to use, but the effect is the same
>>
>>817086
>The ones I hook are always showy like that.
I have never seen a pike leap out of the water and I've caught a dozen or so and have been with other people who've caught them many more times. This is how pike fight. They drag like you've hooked a log, then when they see the shore or the boat they dive down
Same thing every time. Bass on the other hand do jump but never in my 30years of existence have I ever witnessed nor heard of a pike leaping 4feet Out of the water
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>817083
I had a largemouth jump a good 4' out of the water on me a few weeks back. It was crazy. It was at the lake with the big guys, he was probably 3.5lbs-4lbs.

It is one of the manmade lakes around here that have the 2ft deep shelf that goes 10' or 15' out and then drops straight off. I was bringing him in with the memecaster and he started diving deep. I got him close to that drop off and he started swimming straight up and shot like 4' out of the water. I think it was a combination of me pulling him and him making a turn and swimming straight up towards the drop off. Jumped so high and then shook the hook loose right after he got back in the water.

I have never seen a bass jump anywhere close to that high. It was crazy, but it can happen.
>>
>>817088
Ohhh I'm thinking you were talking about something to remove foul hooked snags and was very confused
This makes much more sense
>>
>>817091
Bass are known to jump when fighting though so that's not surprising
Pike dive when fighting
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 600x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 600x275px
>>817086
>>817088
Bass Pro sells them. Pic related is their store brand one. I was looking at them, I think they are like $20-$25. Main reason I passed is because of the weight. My tackle bag is so heavy already.
>>
>>817090
>>817093
Uhhh.... what?
>>
File: EP-150809561.jpg (2MB, 4428x3220px) Image search: [Google]
EP-150809561.jpg
2MB, 4428x3220px
>>817095
Back when I was fishing for Musky and Northern Pike I always brought it because it took like 4-6 hours to make a nice lure or the lure cost upwards of $50 (depending on who made it locally). So, getting the lure back was paramount. When I didn't have it and got terribly snagged, I went in after it. That only really happened in places where the lakes had flooded a section of woods and the trees were still there.
>>
This is my first time here and after reading a good amount of everyone's posts I've come to the conclusion that most of you literally don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. I seriously feel like there is only a handful of people here who actually regularly fish. The rest just seem to be rambling bullshit for laughs or something
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 800x600px
>>817113
It's the internet, what do you expect? Go find another Malaysian cooking forum with a fishing section and tell me that the majority of the people there aren't talking out of their ass.

But there is one troll who just disrupts stuff. The end of the last thread he was baiting about braid and that led to a bunch of nonsense in the beginning of this thread.

If you have pics of pretty girls with fish, post em.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>817114
I don't have any fish ladies, sorry.
>>
>>816846
in all seriousness that just looks too big. You could get away with shinning a whole single cork. More feathers upon its end too
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
>>817117
>no ladies
Fuck off
>President laying on the deck
Ehh, I guess you can stay.
>>
File: 1437826640018.jpg (760KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
1437826640018.jpg
760KB, 1280x1656px
I feel bad about hooking a live bait fish, is it as effective to kill it first and basically just use it as fresh bait for catfishing?
>>
>>817081

Almost the entire shoreline is known to have ciguatoxin dude.
>>
>>817131

Catfishing isnt much of a thing in Hawai'i, but I get the feeling that something like that wouldn't give a shit if the fish is alive or not.
>>
>>817145
>I get the feeling that something like that wouldn't give a shit if the fish is alive or not.

Considering you can catch catfish with hotdogs, I'd have to agree with this statement
>>
>>817131
For channel cats? They will eat anything. But the people who go for blues and flatheads on this board always say you gotta go with live bait.
>>
File: Dorado2.jpg (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dorado2.jpg
493KB, 1920x1080px
>>817017
hey at least tuna is delicious.

Not gonna lie though, tarpoon is on my list of fish I want to catch.

Also, if we gonna talk jumps Dorado are pretty fucking awesome at it (maybe not like Tarpoon, but still pretty cool to see a 25lb bull jump), plus, they're the most beautiful fish and the fight is nice.
>>
>>817144
That was copy-pasta from:

http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/dib/disease/ciguatera-fish-poisoning/
>>
surf fishing is hard as fuck, lads.

been out 25+ hours and i've caught one juvenile halibut.

do I need to start using more live bait? ive tried 5 different softbaits, bass lures, multiple spoon lures, live rock crabs. ive tried all of these at high tide, low tide, and in between.

getting frustrated but I also think it isn't just me. i've never seen other fishermen at my spots catch anything. i've seen 10+ spear fishers leave empty handed.
>>
>>817197
I went surf fishing the last two weekends. Had better luck the first time but I think that had to do with the surf being much calmer (caught one small whiting). I had little to no drift using an 3oz weight two weeks ago. Yesterday I couldn't keep 8oz from moving back to shore.

Keep in mind, I'm extremely new to this kind of fishing, so I'm sure I'm doing all sorts of crap wrong, but from my very limited experience, it seems like if the water is too rough, the fish aren't in the surf either.
>>
Is getting a cast net worth for live bait if I'm going to be lake fishing.

Minnows are expensive.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>817231
Why not just buy one Meppsโ„ข instead of those dozen minnows?

Seriously though, most places you could probably just grab a 1gal or 2gal bucket, find a little school of minnows, and scoop em up.

What do you pay for minnows btw? It had been years since I bought any live bait besides nightcrawlers until I grabbed some shiners a couple months ago. I think it was like $9 or $9.50 a dozen for medium shiners. Seemed expensive until I realized I haven't bought any in a decade and a half and have no clue what I paid for fatheads and shiners then.
>>
>>817231
If you desperately want to use live bait its not a terrible idea. You'll need to find the right place to catch them though. I'd just use some decent lures and worms.
>>
>>817231
I always had a casting net and a seine for catching minnows and such. It was amazing. The seine is hard to use through and is best used with a friend in narrow streams. Even better if you have a 3rd person pushing the fish towards you. With a casting net I had better luck if I chummed the water for the bait fish right above where I was going to cast it.

Now I just use minnow mimicking lures, except when cat fishing.
>>
>>817197
Have you tried rigging for stripbait? Does your area have crabs? Try those for surf fishing.
>>
>>817246
I plan on getting those too. It's mostly something neat I saw on youtube and want to try. Especially since even if I don't use them I can just donate them because my dad has a bait shop with a livewell.

>>817243
My father sells minnows for about 2$ a dozen for mediums. Shiners he only gets special order, not a big shop.
>>
File: fuck.png (181KB, 291x268px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
181KB, 291x268px
>spend 3 hours in the nice ontarian sun fishing on a dock
>need to leave soon
>just 3 more casts
>cast once, nothing
>cast twice, something bites but i miss the strike
>cast the third time, something bites in the same spot, i hook it, pulls my rod with the force of a stampeding elephant and snaps my 20lb test braid in a less than 10 second fight
>mfw

whelp, should i go buy some steel leaders? because these muskie are seriously destroying me, i just want to chill and catch some bass

side note, right before my spinning reel handle completes a turn, it sort of...jams? and slightly moves outwards then clicks back inwards. i took apart the screw thing that holds it in on the opposite side and its not flat. is the problem in the screw thing or the handle? can't post pics, phone dead, but i can do a shitty drawing if requested
>>
>>817298
Ah. Your dad fight know some good spots to catch minnows then. I don't know a lot about keeping live bait but I can't see it hurting much if you add some to his livewells.

>>817303
Why leaders? If it's snapping the line that doesn't mean a leader will magically fix your issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 960x949px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 960x949px
Traveling to costal South Carolina for a week and gonna do some surf fishing. No piers or jettys anywhere on the island so i won't have any structure to target.

What's being caught this time of year down there. Gonna just use fish finders loaded up with live pinfish and cut mullet.
>>
>>817303
You could try a heavy flouro leader if you don't want to go with a full steel leader. Flourocarbon is harder than braid and mono, so it resists sharp edges better.

I always get lucky with the sneks and gar. They never hit lures where the teeth actually hit the line. Those gar have some razor sharp teeth but their mouths are so thin that when they hit a crank, most of the lure and the line is away from their teeth. And I almost always get the sneks on Mepps so basically it is just the wire in their mouths.

And for the reel, is it the handle making the clicking, the spinning rotor/bail, or something inside? Kinda hard to understand from the description. I would probably just rebuild it and inspect everything. Just make sure everything goes back in the right order.
>>
File: kill whitey x.jpg (197KB, 974x684px) Image search: [Google]
kill whitey x.jpg
197KB, 974x684px
>>817308
fuck off you dirty cracker
>>
File: sdfsdf.png (13KB, 557x343px) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdf.png
13KB, 557x343px
>>817307

i figured its probably biting through the line opposed to snapping it, i cant tell since everything off my line just disappeared but there's no fraying or anything, it looked like it was bit clean off

>>817309

alright my drawing skills are shit but lets see if this image makes sense

couldn't find a good pic on google to explain
>>
>>817309
>>817325

also, its the reel handle making the clicking noise and sticking, right at the base that inserts into the casing

muskie literally jump out of the water right? two guys got into an argument because one said it was northern pike but the other said it was muskie because pike only jump when you hook them, not when they're free in the water, im not sure what to think of it since they look kind of similar to me
>>
>>817325
So when you take that screw thing opposite the handle out, does the handle come out?

Because some reels are like that, whole that piece is only a cap on other reels and you actually have to hold the rotor still and twist the handle to tighten or loosen it.
>>
>>817363

yep, handle falls out, i tried putting them together on opposite sides i.e left handed and it still did the same clicking/sticking thing
>>
>>817366
Damn. You have schematics for the reel? I still don't totally understand what is clicking but make sure you didn't break and/or lose some spacer. And you could always try rebuilding the whole thing (clean, grease, and oil while it is apart) and see if it gets any better when everything is put together tight.

Who knows, when you take it apart, you could have a cracked gear or something that is just being wedged together but hasn't completely failed. If you take it apart, you could identify the part and order a new one.

There aren't too many major moving parts to a spinning reel. Plus they normally come with schematics or have them online so it should be easy to tell if anything is busted or missing.
>>
>>817370
Speaking of cleaning reels, gun cleaning oils work fine?
>>
>>817385
It should work fine. Just be aware that some gun oil is made to clean copper fouling, which means that shit eats metal.
>>
>>817389
Gotcha. stay away from the strong shit.
>>
>>817401
Pretty much. Long as the label doesn't say "clean copper fouling" you shouldn't have to worry to much.
>>
>>817370

no schematics or anything, will look on google. have mentioned this rod before (it's my dads), so i want to keep it in good use (sort of, he barely fishes)
>>
>>817303
>fishing for musky
>not already using steel leaders

Get leaders, adjust your drag, use a good knot (Polimar knot/double improved clinch knot), and keep your rod at a 90 degrees angle or higher to your fishing line when reeling in. When you have a fish on, let the rod play from like 60 to 120 degrees. Never let it drop below 60 degrees angle to your fishing line. If you do, it risks having too little play in it which can snap your line if there is a strong unexpected jerk. Drag will save it to some extent when lower than 60 degrees, but try not to rely on that exclusively.

The worst thing you could do is to use monofilament, no leader, single overhand knot, hard drag, and point the rod right at your lure or the fish. lol
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Those Okuma Stratus V memecasters are $35 again at dicks if anyone wants one. I don't have really any complaints about mine.
>>
>>817197
Socal ?

halibut hunting can be frustrating. It's like 80% location. You have to find them. They can gather in one spot on a beach one week and move on to another the next. I can get skunk 2 weeks straight, then suddenly find a spot where they gather, and get 2-3 every trips for the next 1-2 weeks. I haven't gotten any legal one though, biggest was 21 inches. You gotta be willing to move around and try new spots if the current place isn't working out.

You can always shell out $20 for a lucky craft flashminnow like everyone else and regain your confidence. Shit is easy to set up, use, and simple catch fishes. All you have to do is cast, retrieve at right speed, and fishes will hook themself onto it. If I use that and super fluke/bucktail in a trip and has nothing bite, the fishes aren't just there or they are lock-jaw.
>>
File: 1425621198760.png (18KB, 441x402px) Image search: [Google]
1425621198760.png
18KB, 441x402px
>>817446
>memecasters
>>
>mfw freshies think bass are hard fighting fish

A 2 pound jack will put up a greater fight than a 4 pound bass.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 536x554px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 536x554px
>>817504
Forgot my face
>>
>>817447
>flashmemenow

An xrap is cheaper and works really good
>>
File: 1452826826833.jpg (35KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1452826826833.jpg
35KB, 351x351px
>>817504
>a 5 pound bonito will pull harder than any similarly sized freshwater fish.

Truly a great feel fellow saltfag, but freshwater has its merrits too. Except tilapia, goddamn tilapia tastes like tapwater
>>
File: 1451176643071.jpg (33KB, 600x586px) Image search: [Google]
1451176643071.jpg
33KB, 600x586px
>>817504
why do you care if someone fishes in fresh water? I dont ever see anyone saying fresh water is better
>>
File: 1384540149101.png (4KB, 243x190px) Image search: [Google]
1384540149101.png
4KB, 243x190px
>>817508
>throwing crankmemes in the surf down here.

a fistful of sand crabs and a 5 dollar kroc spoon from walmart will catch everything, perch, corbina, halibut, shovelnose, croaker, hell even a leopard shark or two. Will save you money too.
>>
>>817070

where can i get those neat little spiral things that you screw into the worm?

i swear i've never seen them until i started coming here. i don't even know the proper term for them.

so far this year i've only caught one fish on a stinko and i'm quite sure i would have caught him just as well on a trick worm. i do like their extra weight since sinkers always catch on weeds, and i have to fish weedless 99% of the time.
>>
>>817515
its just a type of hook
>>
>>817515

as usual a little googling and i answer my own question.....i guess these are it?

"hook keeper springs"

wat

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Hook-Keeper-Springs/product/10205319/
>>
>>817510
I don't, I'm just trying to meme pepsifag into going saltwater fishing
>>
I haven't been fishing in over a decade (my ex has all my shit >:( ), but I'm wanting to setup a decent kit to get back out. I live in central Florida, so will be fishing from the shore, Atlantic side, how does this all sound? I want to make sure I have basically everything I need before I head out.

Sheakspeare Two-Piece Ugly STik Bigwater Spinning Rod, 11-feet.
Penn Pursuit II 6000CP
Power Pro Spectra Braided 300YD/20lb
Berkley Trilene 20lb 650-yard mono
10x 3oz Pyramid Sinker
8x 4oz Pyramid Sinker
20x 3-way 120-pound swivels
60pc 8kg/10kg/12kg stainless wire leader
Lazer circle hook assortment (85pcs, various sizes)
Short fishing pliers
Long nose pliers (extra long, 11" for the fuckin sharks)
and a 4foot bait cast net.

Anything else I'm forgetting? I'm not targeting anything specific, but pompano, flounder, black-tip sharks, etc would all be nice. I know I need a bucket for the bait, gonna just grab one at walmart or something.
>>
>>817514
>throwing meme spoons that flutter on the surface and never sink

Diamond jigs are where it's at.
>>
>>817527
I've had horrible luck using braid in the surf. Sand is super abrasive. Use a long mono leader or a an 7-8k sized reel spooled with mono.
>>
>>817533

I've heard mixed reviews about braided on the surf, some people swear by it, but that's why I also am picking up 650 yards of 20lb mono. I figure that way I can give the braided a try and just pack the first bit of the reel with the mono, and when the braided runs out if I dont like it, I can just keep using the rest of the mono
>>
>>817415

i wasnt fishing for muskie though, was aiming for bass, but the muskie were hungry as fuck today, thanks for the suggestions though
>>
>>817537
Sand particles get in the braid and they wear through it when it touches the ocean floor while reeling in. You can use that 20# mono as topshot (really long leader).
>>
>>817370

well, reel is fucked

turns out it wasn't that screw thing, that screw thing screws INTO the reel handle piece, which is all encased in a very shit quality metal piece that turns the rest of the shit in the spinning reel

that shit quality metal piece is now in 4 different broken pieces, and bent

my rod now reels in with the feeling of a slave on his eleventh hour in the southern sun pushing a wheelbarrow through a field of mud
>>
i wanna go fishing again so bad
>>
>>817553
That's exactly what I was saying when something may be broken when you disassemble it but just wedged all together and barely holding up until you take it apart. I have had that happen with BMX parts before. Something is running rough, take it apart, and a bearing is cracked in half or some shit.

Better than failing while you have a fish on the line.
>>
>>817447
>lucky craft flashminnow

tried it to no avail. it just brings me endless kelp. i tried a texas rig to avoid snagging so much salad but nothing bit it. only luck ive had so far is with spoon lures.

>>817514

are sandcrabs really that good? what's the best rig to use?
>>
>>817528

dude what, the 1 oz spoons definitely sink, hell even the 5/8 oz will.
>>
File: 1125111651.jpg (274KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1125111651.jpg
274KB, 1280x960px
>>817561
sand crabs are amazing anon, thats what me and my uncle use 95% of the time.

2/0 gamakatsu octopus hook or similar on a carolina rig, 1 1/2 oz sinker, 16"-18" leader of 15lb flouro. Will get you the corbina and medium sized perch, not the little perch though, hook is too big, which is good if you want to avoid them, but they will eat up your crabs by nibbling them off the hook.

pic related, nice yellowfin croaker and BIG perch, the basket with holes is what we use to catch the crabs
>>
>>817231

cast nets for shiners are a must have. i'll be buying one asap. i haven't had one in ten years. get a bigger one than you think you need, i think 10 feet was what i was using before.

yes you're gonna have to put that shit in your mouth to cast it, get used to it.
>>
>>817571
>sand crabs
Surely you mean sand fleas
>>
>>817415
>The worst thing you could do is to use monofilament, no leader, single overhand knot, hard drag, and point the rod right at your lure or the fish. lol

this needs to be copied and pasta'd hard in the future.

such truth may never be spoken again in fishing threads.

newfishermen just read this in reverse. don't point rod at fish/lure, don't set drag too hard, don't use only a single overhand knot, use a leader when fish get stupid heavy and you're using braid to soften the blow, and don't use monofilament that's been out in the sun for a month when you don't know any better.

also don't hate on mono, it's good in a disposable kind of way. spool 75 yards of it on a reel and consider 25 yards of it wear and tear material, re-spool it when it's done. you're out of a whopping 50 cents worth of line, if that.
>>
Miss you faggots. Been surf casting at night when I can find the time between electrician school and work.

Soon I'll be back with some content, been lurking the threads in my down time, good shit dudes keep it up.
>>
>>817586
If somebody wants to type it up as a little more organized "musky tips" I can put it in the pastebin. Or make a neat screenshot for the imgur. iPhone will make a shitty screen cap.
>>
>>817577

its sand crabs out here on the best coast :^)
>>
>>817597
>best coast
>60 degree water and kelp
If you say so.

Reminds me that I need to go take a dip in the ocean one of these days. With the Gulfstream running right along the shore in this area of FL, the water is so warm all year round.
>>
File: California sheephead.jpg (302KB, 1000x704px) Image search: [Google]
California sheephead.jpg
302KB, 1000x704px
>>817602

dude, kelp is awesome! holds of sort of cool fish, plus, where do you think the tuna and dorado hide offshore? Under Kelp!
>>
>>817603

looks like goldfish. if I wanted to catch gold fish I'd cast over the fence into my neighbors koi poind
>>
File: California sheephead 2.jpg (351KB, 1000x573px) Image search: [Google]
California sheephead 2.jpg
351KB, 1000x573px
>>817625

thrust me, sheephead is no goldfish
>>
>>817630

looks kinda like my ex
>>
>>817636
did ya ex start life as a female then turned into a male as leader of the school cause she was bigger?

if so, it might be
>>
>>817638

That would explain why my eyelet is so widened
>>
>>817597
>>817602
>not northeast
>>
>>817652
are you saying shit from Massachusetts to Maine is best coast?
>>
>>817654
i like it here, good fishing, tasty fish, though i would like to fish the other coasts though i think it would hard to beat 50 pound strippers, and 15 lb b;lues as fast as you can drop the diamond jig down
>>
>>817449
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>817654
and i also consider anything on long island sound northeast
>>
>>817659

try yo-yo or dropper loop for 25lb+ yellowtail out here, haven't done it yet, but lets just say a yellow that size will fight harder than a tuna that size. Imagine that at 100ft+ with rocks and kelp off the bottom that the fish will try to use to cut you off.

What I want to do is catch a nice stripper off the surf, sounds fun.
>>
>>817670
we also have huge tuna here if you have a boat, as well as some pretty decent sharks, im hopeful going out for makos somewhat soon if i can convince some guys to go
>>
>>817673

not a huge sharkin fan, would go if invited, but not out of my own accord.

Also know about your big tunas, dream is to make my way to Prince Edward Island oneday
>>
File: bl.jpg (49KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
bl.jpg
49KB, 320x400px
>>817676
you dont want to watch a 500 pus pound mako jump 20 ft out of the water and flip about? theyre better then swordfish
>>
File: 8qV7l.gif (994KB, 232x227px) Image search: [Google]
8qV7l.gif
994KB, 232x227px
how hot is too hot with northeast river fishing? I want to fish the raritan river, a part of it which is accessible and a short drive (not on the east end of the river)

Here in NJ it's been getting pretty hot compared to the rest of the summer, starting to hit the high 80s
>>
>>817678

you see mako's are the exception, I've heard those things are rad as fuck when they jump, and also taste better than a fuckton of things in the ocean.
>>
Can I get some advice for hook setting a bass?

I'm using a Texas rigged 5" senko on a 3/0 J hook - 10lb braid
Bass having been inhaling the whole thing in one motion, so the first time I feel something, it's already in their mouths.

>If I set the hook immediately, it seems to come flying out of their mouths and I lose them.
>If I pause a moment before setting the hook, they will be gut hooked.

How the hell does this seemingly simple thing work? I always pull hard to a 2 o'clock position but I just can not get a good hookset. Would fishing closer be helpful? Maybe I'm casting too far away.
>>
>>817684
i know the dude who has the state record mako , and hae fished with him on occasion, Also one of the old fucks i fish with managed to get a tuna a few years ago ( on a short overnight trip) that he then sold for 12k thats what i all a good day of fishing
>>
>>817684
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOIzaDYVeho

Skip to about 7:40.
>>
So how come people fish with lead weights?

Isnt that shit bad yo
>>
>>817726

>lead

>comes from the earth
>if you lose it, it goes back into the earth

lead is nowhere near as bad as many things you encounter in your daily life that are considered safe for food and beverage.

that being said, if i handle a lot of lead i generally wash my hands because why not. i don't exactly put sinkers in my mouth.
>>
File: steve-brule.gif (991KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
steve-brule.gif
991KB, 500x281px
>>817729
>lead is natural therefore it's not that bad

this guy is totally right. we should put it back in our gasoline and other products. "lead poisoning" is just a myth perpetuated by liberal yahoos
>>
>>817731

and then there's THIS public school student.
>>
>>817514
I'm just saying use lc to bring confidence back since it's the easiest to use and most likely to catch. Kroc works in the right condition as well. Many other crank works too, just not many cast as well as the LC. That say, most people i see use the LC wrong anyway. They retrieve it way too fast.

That say, I have only one lc. I have plenty of other stuff that works too. LC is there for confidence fall back. I have not use kroc much since I always fish on early morning when it is really cloudy and not too confident about using spoon when the sun is not out and bright. Do kroc really works in that condition?
>>
>>817726
Inhaling the dust or eating the things over a long period of time are no good. I'm still alive after crushing a lot of split shots down with my teeth.
>>
>>817742
im totally fine with handling them but isnt loosing them from a snag or something bad for the water? Or am I not understanding how lead contamination works in water. I was thinking it breaks down marginally in the water and that it also causes harm to any things that might eat it off the water's floor
>>
>>817744

It's really only a problem if it dissolves, and it will over time in the ocean. But the amount of lead from weights, bullets etc. Is minuscule next to industrial pollution.
>>
>>817744
Only problem I ever hear of is when birds eat them whole. Not sure about how it breaks down in the water, but I'm guessing it would have to be a very heavily fished area for the lead from lost weights adding up to something. The shit that gets washed in from rainwater is probably worse.

Maybe in another 50 years, the lead weights will add up and we will see more steel and tungsten. I don't mind the steel split shots, but tungsten bullest and swimbait weights are so goddamn expensive. 98ยข for a 10pk of lead or $10 for a 3pk of tungsten.
>>
>>817729

Lead poisoning is the number one cause of death in adult Loons. If there aren't loons where you live than do what ever you want.
>>
>>817068
>throwing them in the bushes

Bring them with you and then throw them away in a trash can you complete piece of white trash

I bet you just throw your cigarette butts all over the place too
>>
>>817070
Biggest bass I caught so far this year was on a Gary Yamamoto 5" senko in tomato seed color Texas rigged on a 5/0 EWG with a 1/8 oz bullet sinker
>>
File: 20160619_120408.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160619_120408.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Alright guys it'll be my first time trying to go fishing I got some rods and reels handed down me but I know I still need more I was doing my research on tackle boxes but I really don't know what I'm lookin at if anyone can help I'll appreciate it.
>>
>>817884
What are you gonna be fishing for?

I fish for bass and just use an old plastic tool box as it's got room for a couple small Plano boxes in the bottom for lures and I've got about 10 bags of plastics and a spool of line in their as well
I keep my knife, pliers, hooks, sinkers, and some of my larger cranks and spinners that won't fit in the Plano boxes in the top tray of the tool box

I know some people in here carry suitcase size tackle bags with them every time but I believe that to be wholly unnecessary

So in conclusion I say just go with something relatively small that's easy to carry so you aren't lugging around 30 lbs worth of shit every time you go out

Here's a link to something that I would consider getting if I ever decide to switch it up from the autism toolbox although I'd probably go with the 2 tray instead of the 3 because you don't need to bring dozens of different lures every time you go out

http://m.basspro.com/Plano-3Tray-Tackle-Box/product/1504101746/
>>
>>817678
That is one beast I would be willing to tangle with. I remember watching those shark fishing tournaments on some cable network back in the day. Mother fuckers would do multiple flips.
Dont know what the show was called but it was about a shark tournament between east and west coast. One of the episodes they chummed up a 20ft GW and nearly lost their shit.
>>
>>817884
First thing you want to do is buy new line. If that line has been on those reels for a few years, it will be a pain in the ass to fish with.

>>817878
Kek, (guaranteed replies) worked
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 380x184px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 380x184px
>>817884
Here's my copypasta for new anglers trying to get into freshwater fishing from shore. Don't forget new line if you run those older reels.
http://pastebin.com/bqLVN630

And other anon had some good advice on tackle boxes. You can just get away with one or two of the flat Plano trays for basic stuff. Toss them in a backpack or get a tackle bag like the Plano Weekender that will hold 3-5 of the flat clear plastic boxes.

I highly reccommend the tackle bags over the old school fold-out boxes. They are much more versatile and easier to carry.
>>
>>817509
same can be said for the Blue Fish. Best fight per lb
>>
>>817654
>shit from Massachusetts to Maine is best coast
I kinda like it here.
>>817670
>nice stripper off the surf
oh yeah
>>817673
>pretty decent sharks
About 200 Great Whites hanging around. They closed beaches in Plymouth yesterday.
>>
Aren't lead sinker illegal now in most places? No one is allowed to sell them in my area.

>>817733
Only his sarcasm is correct.
>>
>>817994

>lead sinkers
>illegal

lmao what
>>
>>816254
Eels go fucking mental.
>>
>>817997
>>817994
I think over or under a certain weight they are, but your average lead sinkers or weights are fine.
>>
>>817997
In a few states they are. It's mostly smaller split shots and stuff because the birds eat em

New Bread comin
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 620x616px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 620x616px
New Thread:
>>818006
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.