[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bear Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Trying to go bear hunting
What kind of shotgun should I get?

>pls no bully
>>
Plox respond:(
>>
>>806150
You use a rifle m8.
>>
>>806161
or a bow
>>
Apparently bears are relatively easy game to hunt..

If you're planning on bowhunting I would suggest taking a large caliber handgun as a side arm in case things go awry.

Bears have large footprints and shits, they also smell bad, making it easier to track imo. Put some food in your bag and they might even come to you.
>>
>>806150
Just use spray and take it down by hand/knife. Bears are really easy.
Also you don't need a license or it to be in season this way.
>>
>>806150
You should get a rifle in .30-06 if you're an American hunting black bear and a rifle in 9.3x64mm if you're a yuro hunting brown bear. Shotguns have no place on a bear hunt.
>>
I'd suggest a rifle as well. .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag with proper ammunition will safely take anything in the western hemisphere save for polar bears and some trophy class moose.

If you really want to use a shotgun, use the biggest slugs you can effectively control. There is probably no need to sabot as you'll be at short ranges. Consider Brenneke classic slugs if you can get them.

Also, see http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf
>>
300 win mag for Canadian brown bears, 30-06 for black bears.
>>
>>806150
Or you could leave them the fuck alone. I hope you get eaten
>>
>>806347
Bears are fucking varmints worse that ground squirrels. Go home fagboy
>>
given that bears are scavengers/foragers that don't really predate on anything but fish, what negative effects would arise from their extermination in the ecosystem?
>>
>>806534
Hippies would throw a hissy fit senpai
>>
Thanks for the help fellers. Any tips on specific shotguns? I'm determined to get up close for my kill and wear it's skin.
>>
>>806639
>>>/k/
>>
>>806534
If grizzlys were to go extinct wolbes would become much more prevalent since they are the competitive apex predators
>>
>>806639
Dont use a bloody shotgun. If you insist on getting close buy a .357 magnum
>>
>>806639
Get a rifle in 45-70 and take a well placed shot. Shotgun will send pellet everywhere and put holes in the pelt.
>>
>>806534
>Grizzly bears play an important role in forest ecosystems as seed dispersers and nutrient providers. Berry seeds pass through the bear unbroken and are able to geminate. Not only that, but they come with their own pile of fresh manure as fertilizer.

>While foraging for tree roots, plant bulbs, or ground squirrels, bears stir up the soil, increasing species richness and nitrogen availability in alpine ecosystems. Grizzlies increase the amount of available nitrogen through soil disturbance and through salmon carcass dispersal.

>Grizzlies also directly regulate prey populations and help prevent ungulate overgrazing. Studies show that the removal of wolves and grizzly bears in Grand Teton National Park caused populations of their herbivorous prey to increase, which decreased the density of plants in the area. The decrease of plant density led to a decrease in the population sizes of migratory birds. Grizzly bears, like all carnivores, are keystone predators, having a major influence on their ecosystems.

long story sort the removal of any top member of the food chain in any environment would cause some sort of ecological impact
>>
>>806854
>>806703
But those are grizzlies; what if we just exterminate black bears? They're not an apex predator.
>>
>>807169
Yea they are if they're no grizzlys around
>>
>>807169
An ecosystem of any size is insanely complex. Removing even a small part of it will have a negative impact. And a bear is not a small part.
>>
>>806150
shot gun for bear defense is ok, not for hunting. I would want .45-70 for close range. 30-06 is probably ok for black bear, but I'd go bigger myself. Longer range .300 win mag or even .338 lapua for bigger bear
>>
>>806150
A .45-70 fuckstick
>>
For bears I would use a 30-06 or 308win to be honest don't go shotgun youll just piss it off if you do
>>
>>806704
Well that's fairly retarded advice given the weight/speed of the average slug vs even the heaviest .357 magnum load but whatever.

Rifle is the correct answer and "close" is pretty much the majority of bear hunting you turd. Notice how there is no "plains grizzly" or "desert bear"
>>
>>807169
Black bears fill the niche that grizzlies leave. Take vancouver island where the black bears are competing with wolves because the island doesn't suit bigger species. The Black bear is essentially the apex predator.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.