[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 88

File: image.jpg (69KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 600x450px
#58- "Size 58" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>795845

Hope everybody enjoyed their Father's Day weekend. The peacock bass still won't bite my damn lures. My co-workers are flakes. But at least I got out there a little bit this weekend. Could be worse. I am not ready to go back to work tomorrow.

>Mandatory 4-day weekends when?

Good to see Yuro Saints Fan is still alive. Mainebub is probably too busy rolling in strippers to be posting. Skid is gonna Titanic a $250 kayak. NJ anon needs to get to the lake more and just cast a Mepps until something bites. Sir Nibblesworth is bass food by now.

Talk about fishin
>>
>>797249
420 dollar kayak*
>>
You couldn't even find an attractive BBW? KYS KVD
>>
>>797234 #

Catfishing and carpfishing can be more active you're active and make an effort to be where the fish are.

Too many people think you just toss out hooks covered in prepared bait as far as possible and wait 2 hours for a bite and if that doesn't work, then you keep waiting.

That'd be like bass fishing and only sticking with one lure, in one spot (ignoring structure and cover), casting to the same place, with the same retrieve, and hoping a fish will strike.

If you do cat fishing right, you'll be moving to different spots, catching live bait, targeting different areas, changing rigs and presentations, etc. Just like any other fish.

Flatheads especially are predators who usually won't hit anything other than a live swimming panfish.

Plus I usually take an ultralight rod to catch panfish for bait- thebiggest catfidh are almosy always consistently caught on live or cut fish- and if I'm having absolute zero luck, I can at least catch them.
>>
Should I go try for some topwater bass right now?
Or take a nap in my hammock so I can go out tonight and maybe get some eels or larger catfish

I'm afraid if I do the first il be too tired to do the second later (well stay out as late)
And if I do the latter and take a nap now I'm worried I won't just stay comfy all night

Or I can go and start soaking baits now for cats and eels but it would have to be in a less than ideal spot since the spot I fish at night the only place to park is on a somewhat busy road and that wouldn't be possible during the day
>>
File: image.jpg (451KB, 1205x1901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451KB, 1205x1901px
>>797260
You don't find that sexy as hell?

Where is the fishfucker? I know that anon is turned on.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 403x657px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 403x657px
>>797266
Idk about you, but if I try and take a nap at 7pm, I'm not waking up to go back out at 10pm. I will be passed out til the next morning. I also wake up at 4:00am so...
>>
>>797268
I probably won't full on nap but lay here and listen to music and relax , I might doze a bit
Plus as long as I et an alarm on my phone and put it on my upper chest or right under my head it's almost a garunteed I wake up
>>
>>797266

When I start catching fish, I stay pretty pumped the rest of the day for more fishing. It takes hours of nothing in miserable conditions to disuade me.

I'll sit out in freeling rain or 115 degree weather if I caught a good fish an hour before.

But I have to already be out there catching fish.
>>
File: can't wake up.jpg (33KB, 324x266px) Image search: [Google]
can't wake up.jpg
33KB, 324x266px
>>797249
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>797277
I would probably go fish for bass first and then go set up for cats later too. If I start to lose interest, I just stop by Dick's or Bass Pro and buy a new lure. Plus the little drive in the AC helps cool me off and give me more energy (if I don't want to take a nap immediately after that).
>>
File: IMG_20160613_185054027.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160613_185054027.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>797277
Yeah but if I go out for bass now il want to get back home to eat something at sunset simce I haven't ate since 1 or so,
>>
File: STOP.jpg (58KB, 234x233px) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
58KB, 234x233px
>3DPD OP
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>797282
I also got to try out those Yamamoto lured a little bit. Well the crank and spinner. Here's my verdict:

The spinner seems nice. The blades are big so I think if I get that one in a lake with decent bass who are actively chasing baitfish, it could be a winner.

The crank bait stays pretty shallow. It is a squarebill, but seems to run even more shallow than other squarebills. I'm not sure about the action on that crankbait though. It wobbles so much, it doesn't even look natural. But I don't know since I never have luck with the chubby cranks like that. I do much better with thin lures like Rapalas.

I still need to try that walking bait. That will be new for me. I figure it might be good in the mornings when the water is super calm and poppers and prop baits make too much commotion.

Overall, I think I want to buy another one or two of those spinners. They have a frog color and a couple crawdad colors that look good. Also they have some jet black walking baits and poppers that look good for night time.
>>
>got $20 worth of points with cabellas card for signing up
>Spent it
>Didn't take the points away
>Think I'm going to spend it again
I've also decided I'm.going to go for eels and cats later , though im not even going to bother driving out to the good spot tonight
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>797296
I should have a $10 Dick's voucher coming in the mail soon. Or maybe it already came. I need to look for that and bring it to work just in case I deliver to Dick's on Wednesday.

I have like $9.50 on the Bass Pro card too. I guess I can spend that once it goes over $10 but I might just keep trying to save it up so maybe I can get a discount on something bigger. The Bass Pro points suck though, they take so long to add up unless you only buy their store brand stuff and shop on those double point weekends. I was disappointed when I signed up for that card, brought like $1000 worth of receipts in, and ended up with $27 in points. Better than nothing, but Bass Pro doesn't do a lot of good sales either so I only go there when I need something they don't sell elsewhere.
>>
>>797300
Cabellas is $10 per 1000 spent on it , not good at all, but if I pay rent etc with it and spend $1000 a month ( or more) that's $120 a year in free shit
>>
>>797302
Is that the credit card?

I was just talking about the Bass Pro rewards card. There is a bunch of deals if I sign up for the Bass Pro credit card, but I'm not fiscally responsible so I always decline the offer.
>>
File: image.jpg (426KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426KB, 1536x2048px
Damn, when looking for these OP pics, there are so many butterface women and women that are 20yrs past their prime with fake tits.
>>
>>797307
Yeah points are applied automatically
Starts out with $20 worth of points and if you make 5 purchases in the first 30 days you get an extra $10 worth of points

Its a 1k spending limit to start , but paying bills and shit with it adds up quick $120 a year of points of you spend $1000 a month

I figure when the spending limit goes up a bit il use it for nearly everything and get a shit ton of free stuff
It's my only credit card and I'm decent with money so it's pretty great imho
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 640x640px
>>797310
Damn, maybe I should sign up for one and just buy food and gas and little shit on the Bass Pro one. I think they give you a gift card when you sign up too. I really do need a credit card one of these days so I can act like an adult.
>>
>>797266
I just got a teeny bass on the mepps black fury.

I guess i overestimated how long the sun would stay out. Damn summer.
>>
>>797312
Once the spending limit goes up I can make $25 plus in free shit a month , bills and shit gotta be paid anyways may as well get fishing shit for it plus they ididnt take away my first 20$ worth of points so I get to spend that again
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>797313
Is there anything Mepps can't do?
>>
>>797318
Interestin. i've seen people use the snap swivel too, but I'll put a swivel on the main and tie my leader to the swivel and tie the mepps to the leader. I like how the spinner gets more horizontal in the water though i am certain you lose out on sensitivity.
>>
How do you figure out what oz lures to use on fishing line?

I am running 6.6 med abu garcia vengence sxt20 and 6lb trilene monofil
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>797321
I use braid so sensitivity isn't an issue whether or not the swivel is on there.

I mostly use the snaps because I like to swap out lures a lot. But I actually prefer to run inline spinners without a snap swivel. It isn't as much of a problem with Mepps, but Rooster Tails and Blue Foxes (especially in the wind) can get tangled and the line wraps around the blade and shit. And snap swivels make it worse and seem to get tangled more than it I tie it straight to the line. So if I'm fishing a spot where I know I will be using an inline a lot, I just tie the spinner right to the line with no swivel.
>>
>>797334
The rod will give you a reccommendation for what weight lures to use. You can always go higher or lower. There is no real limit, pretty much just go as light as you can still cast up to as heavy without snapping the line. Just be careful if you try and run 3/4oz+ jigs and spinnerbaits on the 6lb because you could be casting and the line gets caught up and the shock of the lure stopping in mid-air will break the line/knot.

Realistically, with 6lb line and that setup, you shouldn't have an issue casting anything from 1/16oz to 1/2oz which will cover most panfish and bass lures.
>>
So if I have a spinning reel rated for 30 lbs at max with mono, what is the heaviest braided I can put on it or does it not matter? I seem to recall y'all saying something like a reel than can take 10 lbs mono can also take 20 lbs braided without fucking up your (spinning) reel.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>797349
Look at the line diameters. 40lb braid is the same diameter as 10lb or 12lb mono I believe. So if you want to run the same diameter as 30lb mono, that will be some heavy ass line and will probably be overkill. I normally go a little lower diameter so I can get more line on the spool and cast further with the thinner and lighter line.

The one thing though, braid isn't as smooth as mono. So if 40lb braid is the same diameter and weight as 10lb mono, the mono will probably cast a little smoother and further. So I would run 20lb braid on that reel and it is so much thinner and lighter than the 10lb mono that I can cast much further with twice the strength.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>797249
Caught this guy Saturday. 24" long.
It was the first time I've been fishing in 2 years.
>>
>>797359
Those drum look fun to catch. I always watch the dudes on TV pull up to an oil rig somewhere in the Gulf and just start slamming them.

Were you on a boat or from shore?
>>
Here's a question guys
Hypothetical
>Fishing
>Catch fish
>Smaller than legal keeping size
>It's hooked deep and bleeding bad
>100% not going to make it
Do you keep it and eat it? Or toss the body back in the water even though it's a waste ?
>>
Well I won't be fishing for a while
I'm pretty sure I broke my foot today
>>
>>797358
Ok, thanks for clearing the confusion. It's for my cat/big fish pole so I wanted a bit more strength in my line. I already run 20 lbs mono, so I'll take a look at what some braided. Any favorite brands? I know a lot of people around here like spiderwire.
>>
>>797365
Toss it back even though it's a waste
>>
>>797369
Power pro
And I'd put #50 power pro on there
>>
>>797368
I wish I would break my foot. Get sumn dat sweet, sweet disability monies. There are some days I think about just dropping a case of 2L bottles on my toes.

>>797365
Is there a chance the game warden will rape you? If no, then why not keep it? It's just hard to make exceptions to the rules because somebody will abuse it and start purposely gut hooking every fish.
>>
>>797365
We usually tossed them. Food for other fish at worst. Plus you shouldn't get in trouble for having a fish under the minimum.
>>
>>797369
Agree with Skid on Power Pro. It's pretty much the standard for braid.
>>
>>797370
That's what I leaned twords
>>797374
Next to no chance
Figure this much, I've fished the 19 years I've been alive and only ever seen a conservation officer once (although I dont fish the marine district much) and was at an private beach
>>797375
Exactly what I thought though a waste
>>
>>797371
>>797379
Alright, if walmart has it, I'll get it. Spiderwire a good alternative?
>>
>>797384
Walmart carries PowerPro so you will be fine.

SpiderWire seems to fray a lot easier. I have it on a couple rods and every week or two I have to cut a couple yards off to get rid of some little frayed section from rubbing on rocks or the guides or whatever. It rarely happens on my rods with PowerPro.
>>
>>797384
>>797388
Also make sure you spool it correctly. Some reels have little rubber parts on the spool to keep line from slipping, but if not, you may want to do a mono backing. Braid is more slippery than mono so if you don't tie a good knot and spool it tight, all of the line will just spin around on the reel and that's no good when you have a fish on and can't reel it in.

If you do go with a backing, just use like 10-20yds of the 20lb mono you are using now. Tie that to the reel, spool it up enough so you have a thin layer of mono, than uni-uni knot to the braid, and fill the other ~120yds with braid. Keep pressure on the line while spooling so it is nice and tight around the reel spool.
>>
>>797388
Alright.

>>797392
Rubber parts? mine has these little ridges but I'd have take a look to see if it's rubber. I'm not worried about spooling it wrong, but thanks for the tips.
>>
>>797397
Don't worry about the backing
Just put a little electrical tape around the spool
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 650x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 650x720px
>>797397
See the vertical black part on the spool? That's a strip of rubber so it grips the line and you can get away with running braid without the mono backing. If the spool is just smooth aluminum, braid can slip. So if you have a heavy catfish on there and don't spool the braid right, all of the line will just start spinning around the spool before the drag even kicks in. I had it happen to me once when I didn't use a mono backing and didn't put the line on tight enough. Luckily I caught it when I tried to pull some line out against the drag instead of after I had a fish on.
>>
>>797262
Can you give me a crash course on when to change rigs? I don't really see an advantage between them, except for like throwing your bait out on a bobber vs the bottom.

>>797293
>it doesn't even look natural.
Reaction strikes senpai
>>
>>797359

I'm jealous. Fished a total of 12 hours this weekend and I only caught 2. Both of them just barely 20 inches.
>>
Hey guys, been out on the water a lot recently.

Here are a few of the smallies I caught!

The big hitter the past two weeks has been Husky Jerk Rap in Perch color, and traditional size 3 jig with a white Powerbait Ribbontail grub. All fish are about 12-14 inches.

Great start to the summer season here in Nova Scotia!
>>
This is a good picture and a tbby lil'fella too.

Been sizing up some new waters in the north of the province, will have to go back. The reeds are getting really high and the grass bottoms are growing like mad so I'll start switching to frigs soon.
>>
>>797365

When this starts happening, I switch to larger sized circle hooks. Lose more fishn but you ensure the ones you catch are bigger and won't be gut hooked.
>>
bonus ten-inch yellow perch. Hard to find the toad bass with the plant levels so low but this weekend things really kicked off I'm burnt up like a damn lobster.

Also sorry for my stupid-lookin' face in all of these.
>>
>>797415
i was throwing a 6 inch topwater popper, and was setting the hook immediatley unlike what i normally do with any sort of topwater,
>>
New lake is comfy af my dudes, and pretty hard to get to.

Not that I have ever once encountered someone other then my gf on these trips.
>>
>>797402
Nice tip.

>>797404
Yeah, don't think mine has that. Well, won't be the end of the world. Just need to use some backing or something.
>>
>>797369

I used spiderwire, particularly the stealth braid for the longest. Went to Power Pro a week back and it's actually better. Not nearly as floaty and easily knotted as spiderwire.
>>
I set my rod down to answer a text and when I picked it up there was a bass on the line

They're taking those lizards when they're motionless
Actual lizards must be a staple of their diet here
>>
Now here's where the boys get jellin.

Went and visited my honey hole last weekend...
>>
Took home a solid triple's worth of trout! All 12-14 inches.

A great feed of trout on the BBQ that night.
>>
>>797362
I was on the bank fishing with dead shrimp lol. I caught him about 15ft from me.

>>797412
I fished 5. He was the only red but I caught about 10 croaker.
>>
Out on green river with power bait and a prayer. 6 hours later, caught a fish stick.
>>
>>797432
Are you a hipster?
If not, carry on.
>>
>>797437

No, I grew up in the woods my friends joke I was born under a rock.

As for my attire, I was in the army and I found that the hipster-grade glasses don't corrode against my skin, so I buy the same shitty black frames. The old green BDU shirt is my outdoors shirt, my gf got sick of washing a ton of shirts on the weekends so now I stick to that.

I get confused for being a hipster a lot, kind of sucks. Wish I didn't need glasses but metal frames don't last with me so I stick to what I know works. Fucking hipsters ruin everything.
>>
>>797442
Well carry on then mate.
>>
>>797444

That's all I got that I thought was good from the past couple weeks. Got a nice Shad early in the season though, here you can have that.

Saw something really amazing today though. Do you guys know what Gasperuax/Alewife are? I was on one of my lakes and a school of about 1500 came up to shore, took about 15 minutes for it to pass me. Truly a miracle of nature, it was amazing I could have flicked them out of the water with my hands.
>>
>>797411

Slip rig/fish finder is your go to. In stronger current, a chicken rig, drop shot, or 3 way rig work better. If your bait is laying in weeds at the bottom, then a Santee rig can help.

And for catfishing, slip rigging a float can be more effective than your usual clamped bobber.

And there's proper leader length. Longer leader let's the fish take more line without ever pulling the main line, but too much can cause him to steal bait or tangle you up depending on conditions. Shorter leaders are easier to manage and get tangled way less, but give the fish less room to swim.

Change rigs when whatever you're using isn't working or is giVing yout problems. Just like you change lures. I like to go out with a slip rig, a float, and free line, then see which one gets more bites. Then I rig them all in variants of that and see which one gets more bites.

And when I stop getting bites, the process repeats.
>>
ned to find cheap, jigheads, In larger sizes, 3/4 to 2 ounces preferably Anyone know of anything gud?
>>
Nice redfish. Where from?
>>
>>797454
Sabine Pass, Texas.
>>
>>797293
I have a few of the walking lures in my bag. I've caught a ton with them, one of my faves. Top water is best water too
>>
>>797450
Thank you. A slip rig is just a Santee rig without a float right?
>>
File: no skids allowed.jpg (200KB, 643x960px) Image search: [Google]
no skids allowed.jpg
200KB, 643x960px
>it's another barracuda bites through my line episode

If I had a kingfish rig on I would have landed a monster cuda.
>>
>>797404
Didn't see there was new bread but I replied to you in the previous one. Pls stop being mean to me ;-;
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 640x1136px
So this is a bullhead right?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>797500
And this is a channel cat?
>>
>>797365
>toss the body back
You're fucked if you get caught with undersized here. Had EPA/F&G hovering over my shoulder a few days ago.
They have grabbed 3 boats in the last few weeks that I know of.
>>
>>797404
>you can get away with running braid without the mono backing
Except mono is much cheaper than braid so using it as a backing for 150 yds of braid makes sense,
>>
>>797259
You should put that money towards P90X you fat bastard.
>>
>>797436
That is NOT how you hold a trout you imbecile.
>>
>>797249
I bought the pflueger president (40) reel. Finally got to Alaska but I still need a rod. What's a good 8'6'' rod for it for around 40 bucks. I wanna go catch me some salmon
>>
>>797502
Would be my guess, channel cats have a deeper v in the tail
>>
>>797516
how fucking gx2 stupid are you? It's been said to death in these threads.
>>
File: 20150704_193144.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20150704_193144.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
I've been catching alot of small-medium sized channel cats with lipless crankbaits recently.

Isn't it supposed to be hard to catch catfish with artificial lures?
>>
File: OgxfMSg.jpg (723KB, 3096x4128px) Image search: [Google]
OgxfMSg.jpg
723KB, 3096x4128px
>>797525
Pic fixed
>>
File: 20160617_163955~2.jpg (3MB, 2696x4157px) Image search: [Google]
20160617_163955~2.jpg
3MB, 2696x4157px
Hey guys, recently tried spear fishing for carp and other invasives in a local river. Pic is from last week, my friend and I got three all about that size. Anyway, my question is if anyone here has bowfished? I would like to do another diy project and I have a youth compound bow from when I was a kid. The highest it can adjust to is 12 lbs. Would this be powerful enough/or what draw weight are fishing bows usually set to? With my spear at night I was able literally stand right on top of some snakeheads so distance is not an issue.
>>
>>797581
God damn that's a nice fish. Still want to set up bow to fuck up some carp.
>>
>>797581
Go on craigslist or ebay and buy a fiberglass el cheapo bear crossbow pulling between 25 and 40 pounds
Then buy a special rubber adapter that straps onto the bow and mount your reel
It should work fine
>>
>>797584
>>797581
Thanks'. Ill look up some prices however I'm trying to not spend any more money on fishing gear now (left over braided line, old reel, and scrap materials+misc. hardware). Are you talking about one of those cheapo recurves?
>>
>>797308
Its probably because of the demographics for charter fishing

Wealthy, older (i.e. travel alot), and self obsessed (e.g. fake tits, and the overall abundance of pictures)
>>
>>797594
Yeah. I have one sitting around I think it's 35 pounds. I'd give it to you for 15 bucks + shipping. It's nothing special but it should have plenty of power to kill a carp and be water proof. I might consider the right trade too
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 640x854px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 640x854px
Only got out for about an hour of fishing today and got two bass

This guy was the larger of the two
Strong fight ran me into some weeds not as bad as the lunker on Friday though but I was still able to land him
>>
File: 20160618_061416~2.jpg (2MB, 4802x2805px) Image search: [Google]
20160618_061416~2.jpg
2MB, 4802x2805px
>>797604
I appreciate the offer but it looks like a lot of people are selling them near my town.
>>
>>797601
Pretty much

I only know one person with a deep sea fishing boat who isn't over 50 and it's cause he has really rich parents

Dude pretty much lives the life though he spends all his time cruising around the Caribbean getting drunk and making occasional trips further out for Marlin

He was my best friend back in
elementary school and now I wish I had stayed in touch with him
>>
File: 20160614_225747~2.jpg (1MB, 2188x3562px) Image search: [Google]
20160614_225747~2.jpg
1MB, 2188x3562px
>>797525
I dont usually fish for/know much about catfish but thats interesting...

Could something be changing their behavior? Temperature? Water levels?
Maybe there has been a spawn in a prey species that your lure resembles and the catfish take advantage of it.

What crankbait were you using, specifically?
>>
>>797365
Rip the hookout, release the fish back (dead or not). If an officer gives you trouble about it, kindly let him/her know that is against the law to litter and that you were afraid your lure would be considered littering
>>
>>797503
EPA? Didnt know that federal agencies patrol to enforce state fishing regulations.
>>
>>797652
Leaving the hook in will kill the fish anyway so best to just dispatch the fish quickly and humanely with a knife to the head if you can't get the hook out without causing fatal damage
>>
>>797666
EPA was probably just tagging along as part of some study as only game wardens can enforce state wildlife laws
>>
File: DSC00330.jpg (579KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00330.jpg
579KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone know a good spot for small mouth in South East Louisiana?

Also here's a video of a 6 lb bass I caught
and a pic of a gar i have on hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttaiZqjgYeY
>>
>>797505
Somewhat true. Depends what you can get on the reel. If a 150yd spool will fill it and the braid won't slip, I'm not gonna waste the time with a mono backing. If it takes 170yds to fill it, might as well do the backing so you can get away with a 150yd spool of braid.

And braid isn't that expensive. Dick's has 300yd Power Pro spools for $19.99 right now. That's line for 2-3 reels for 5 years.

>>797486
Make dat money
>>
>>797249
TOO THICC
TOO THICC
TOO THICC
ABORT
ABORT
ABORT

Eah im alive and busy.
Cant get myself to fish knowing i have to deal with the braid. Ima try stretching it off the balcony a few times before i go out next time.
>>
File: 11024272.jpg (261KB, 483x792px) Image search: [Google]
11024272.jpg
261KB, 483x792px
>>797249
>posts horrifying op pic
>Sir Nibblesworth is bass food by now

Delete this
>>
Caught my first longnose gar this weekend.

These fuckers have always been in my area appearently ( london ont) but ive seen them caught this year on the forums and through friends a crazy amount this year when previously i had never seen them

Went to lake st clair on sat to hunt for some musky but we disnt have any luck so we tried the shallows and found a pack of about 50 gar in this little pocket of weeds. Tricky bastards to hook though
>>
>>797735
>tricky bastards to hook
We have the "Florida" and "Spotted" gar and they love to hit spinnerbaits and topwater frogs but it's pretty much impossible to hook them on either. I had one yesterday hit a spinner a bunch of times and it was just frustrated he couldn't get the lure in his mouth.

>>797723
>>797728
Too late now
>>
>>797470
>Thank you. A slip rig is just a Santee rig without a float right?

Correct.
>>
>>797500
>>797502
>>797518

Correct. Bullheads have sharp spines on the dorsal and pectoral fins. Channel cats don't.

Bullheads have a broad wide, forked tail. Channel cats have a fairly deeply forked tail.

Bullheads tend to be short and pudgy and rarely exceed 3 or 4 lbs while Channel cats tend to be longer and skinnier when they're smaller and will easily reach 10+ lbs.
>>
>>797525

Channel catfish can be very aggressive feeders and will sometimes hit artificial. I've caught plenty on a rapala hard jerkbait.

Catfish aren't "lazy" or "scavengers" so much as they're foragers and built for endurance/power rather than speed. They'll go after whatever is nearby, and sometimes a lure is what's nearby. Bigger ones feed on live and dead fish to a greater degree than smaller ones.
>>
>>797677
>Does anyone know a good spot for small mouth in South East Louisiana?

Somewhere further north. Too warm for smallmouth.
>>
>>797735
>>797744

Gar mouths are almost all bone, and they love to mouth their food for minutes, so you have to either get lucky and snag it in the skin creases between its mouth plates or feed it line and let it get the hook deeper.

Or get a short piece of rope, tie it in a knot, and fray the tail. Gets all tangled in their teeth. Still got to let them mouth it a bit to get nice and tangled.
>>
>>797747
Okay cool thank you.

>>797746
That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure. I'd been using the Santee rig and slip rig a bit. What advantage is there to using a slip bobber instead of a clamp on one?
>>
File: 1231024271.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
1231024271.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
Speaking of bullheads, are you prepared for when you catch Sir Nibblesworth?
I am
http://m.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Bullhead-Catfish
>>
>>797772
>That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure. I'd been using the Santee rig and slip rig a bit. What advantage is there to using a slip bobber instead of a clamp on one?

Clamped bobber weakens the line because when the fish is pulling, instead of distributing tension along the line/knots, you have a lot building up where the clamps are pinching the line. If you have breaks, chances are good it'll be at the bobber.

But if you're using higher strength braid and not worried about larger catfish, it doesn't really matter.

A slip bobber, like a slip rig, lets the fish take more line before it can get any resistance from the bobber and lets you go much deeper/fish off the bottom because the bobber can run along the line instead of being a fixed depth.
>>
File: IMG_20160620_093927279.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160620_093927279.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>this isn't sir nibblesworth
>It's Mr whiskers

>>797747
Channel cats do Infact have spines,
I've dealt with them stocking and they certainly have spines, though as most fish get larger and older the spines get more large, and blunt,
>>
>>797666
>EPA
Environmental Police something probably Agency, their shirts say EPA
>>
>>797718
>If a 150yd spool will fill it
right, smaller reel. I'm thinking like 8000 series where there is no way in hell you'd want to use all braid.

Now take 5 or 6 6000-8000 series. tell me braid is cheap again???
>>
>>797525
No fatty catfish and carp enjoy biting my lipless cranks when im using lighter line. Please stop. i dont like ordering these KVDâ„¢ Red Eye Shadâ„¢
>>
>>797365
I normally cut up the fish straight away so it's unrecognisable and use it as bait.
>>
>>797785
>and lets you go much deeper/fish off the bottom because the bobber can run along the line instead of being a fixed depth.

So would you use a bobber stop with this, or would the bobber be acting more as a strike indicator?
>>
>>797825

Use a bobber stop. Usually a uni or albright knot will do. Make sure your bobber aperture is small enough that a small knot won't go through it. If you're trying to stick a bigger bobber stop/knot on your line, you limit its ability to spool or pas through your rod eyes, which can mess with casting.

Regarding use as a strike indicator...

If you rig it to be off the bottom, it will both suspend the bait and act as a bite indicator.

If you still have the bait on the bottom, it'll only act as a bite indicator when the fish takes enough line for the stop to catch the bobber.
>>
>>797793
Dick's had those KVDâ„¢ RedEye Shadsâ„¢ on sale for like 2 weeks with that Father's Day sale. I believe it was Buy 2 Get 1 Free.

>>797792
Then you buy in bulk when it is on sale. A 300yd spool of Power Pro is about $30 normally but always on sale for closer to $20. Trilene mono is like $7 I think for a 300yd spool. Actually might be more, I haven't bought mono in years. But if you consider that you can run braid for 4-5 seasons easily while mono craps out in a season even without heavy use, the braid costs about the same, if not cheaper.
>>
File: DSC00317.jpg (675KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00317.jpg
675KB, 1920x1080px
>>797751
That's what I said...I was interested in participating in a youtube angler challenge across NA involving smallies, but I have NEVER seen one here.

Quick idea for all of the anglers out there with active youtube channels.
Consider just how many of us are out there!
If we all subscribe, like, comment, and even go so far as to share each other's videos on social media it can only help everyone in the long run. I mean we could all be sharing 200-500 subscribers just within our niche community alone
>>
>>797754
I like the rope idea man
I've caught a few on cut white perch while fishing off the bottom Carolina rigged. That was alittle odd to me, I always thought they mainly fed near the top. I see them surface all day long in the canal behind the house.
>>
>>797844

Too warm as in you won't catch any smallmouth in Louisiana, let alone SE Louisiana. They hate warm water. You'll need to go to reservoirs and rivers in mid/northern Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Tennessee.
>>
>>797850

Smaller bluegill hug the shore/surface to feed off bugs. They mostly end up getting eaten. The biggest ones stay in deep and near cover. If you see standing trees in the middle of a lake, chances are high that huge bluegill are hugging the trunks/roots.
>>
>>797835
Alright cool. Thanks for bearing with me, I'm new to the whole catfish game. Do you think bobber stops would go through microguides alright?
>>
Hey bros

I really want to get into surf fishing. I live in California and I see guys pulling good sized flounders and rockfish whenever i'm at the beach.

What do I need to get started?
>>
>>797903
a pole, a reel, some line, some lures or bait & hooks, possibly a license
optional: flashlight/headlamp, bucket, tackle box/backpack, waders/wading boots, jaw holder if toothy varieties, needlenose pliers
>>
think i may hit the river this afternoion for a few hours, , il probably be throwing soft plastics with my one rod, ( or spoons etc) and with my other rods, dragging worms, or cut bait acoss the bottom, should i attempt to anchor up or just let myself drift slowly?
>>
>>797958
How fast is the river?
>>
Are Costas a meme?
>>
>>798018
Certain sections are very fast and riffle , the section I was considering fishing is very slow and deep, but has weird cross currents etc
I may end up not going out in my kayak , and just going to a spot slightly up river and throwing spoons , and small soft plastics
>>
>>798030
I'd probably drop anchor in the slow part. Somewhere I can cast into/near bends and etc where fish tend to chill. Maybe drift a bit if there is a section of slow water long enough.
>>
>>798028
Any expensive sunglasses are. But a good pair of polarized lenses makes a world of difference when fishing. I have a pair of Ray Bans and I wear them even when it's cloudy or the sun is going down or just coming up. I don't take them off until I can't see for shit anymore.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-20-16-56-44.png (941KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-20-16-56-44.png
941KB, 720x1280px
>>798038
It's most definatley long wideand deep enough to drift, if there's no wind it may take me a half hour to an hour to drift down
>>
>>798040
Is there even difference between polarized lens of different brand? I don't want to take expensive sunglasses to fishing because they will get fucked up inevitably
>>
>>797365
>waste
>scavenger animals eat the dead fish

Circle of life.
>>
>>798062
I'm sure it has to meet some criteria to be called "Polarized" and anything that isn't total garbage will work. Just don't trust the $7 corner store """Polarized""" glasses.
>>
How many feet of line should I use for bobber + splitshot + baitholdre hook setup?

I set it up using about 2.5ft of line. Is this too much for a pond?
>>
>>798076
Depends how deep the water is and where the fish are feeding. There is no correct answer.

>>798075
>>798062
Forgot to say, easy way to tell if the sunglasses are polarized- put them on and look at your cell phone screen. If it looks like an oil slick, they are polarized.
>>
>>798077

That doesn't work with my s5 with any of the 3 polarized sunglasses I have.
>>
>>798081
Really? How about your car windows? Whem you look through the side windows does it have a strange pattern?

I guess it is when you look through 2 polarized coatings that the oil slick happens. Car window tint is normally polarized and lots of LCD screens must be. When I have my sunglasses on, my phone and handheld work computer both look all crazy.
>>
>>798081
try a computer screen. when looking at something that emits light waves with polarized glasses the screen should have a rainbow effect signifying that the glasses are indeed polarized
>>
>>798085

There is no question in my mind that at least 2 of the 3 are indeed polarized, just saying these things aren't super obvious/foolproof.
>>
>>798094
try holding the two you know are polarized up together so you can see through them at the same time. then try rotating one of the pairs 90 degrees. two good pairs of polarized glasses in the way i described will make it so you can see little to nothing through the lens thus further confirming their polarization
>>
>>798094
Those ebay Oakleys might not be everything you thought they were
>>
File: reels.png (284KB, 875x354px) Image search: [Google]
reels.png
284KB, 875x354px
Well its almost decision time. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Lews SuperDuty Speed Spool or the Shimano Curado I Series. Idk if you guys know anything about either of them but im trying to see which one will be the longest lasting and easiest to maintain.
>>
>>798096

They're from Sunglass Hut and can see underwater great. I'm not dumb enough to buy chinese knock offs.

>>798095

This does the trick
>>
Glad I didnt take my out,
2 casts so far, 2 beautiful brookies,
First one I offered to some old Asian dude fishing near me,
Second goes free
>>
Just got into fishing a few months ago but only freshwater stuff. I live on an Island so I'd like to get into saltwater. Any recommendations on a good beginning rod/reel?
>>
>>798118
Spinning reel? Look at the Penn setups. Seems like the way to go. The Fierce, Battle, Spinfisher...
>>
>>798118
Shimano spinning reels and ugly sticks work fine for my surf fishing needs
>>
>>798118
>10 foot Daiwa beefstick
>Daiwa opus 4000 bri
>65 pound high vis power pro
>Fill the damn thing up
>Tie whatever leader is appropriate for what you're going for
If you're casting things like jigs; 20 pound flouro
If you are heaving cut bait; 50 pound mono
>>
>>798097

I have a Curado 201I and I like it a lot. Maintenance is pretty simple, just lube the braking system once in a while. I'm still tempted to try a Lew's though.
>>
Good news my foot isn't broken but my tendon is bruised and there is some other soft tissue issues. I should be fishing in about a weel
>>
>>798136
is it the outside construction all aluminum?
>>
>>798136
nvm i just realized the curado isnt made in japan so now thats off the list
>>
>>798139

No, I'm pretty sure that would make it heaver. The frame is aluminum, visible by the more silver external portion (compared to the darker grey) in the pictures.
>>
>>798136
I'm tempted to grab a Lew's one day too. They look decent and they have a ton of mid-range stuff as far as pricing. Still not 100% sold because of how theh just popped up out of nowhere. But they sell well so can't be too bad.
>>
>>798141

Neither is the Lew's
>>
>>798141
The only Shimanos still made in Japan are like $1000 reels. You're not going to get anything that isn't built in China or Taiwan without spending a shitload.
>>
>>798144
ill let you know how it is since the other good Shimano reel I like is $100 more then the Lews
>>
>>798147
the Shimano Chronarch CI4+ is made in Japan and is $270
>>
>>798149

This, still almost twice the what you can get a curado for though.
>>
>>798151
you get exactly what you pay for with fishing reels. ive gone through 3 cheap bait casters in the last 4 years because they were all under $100 and made with shit plastic parts. I learned a big leason with my abu ambassador and had I not gone with the swedish made one it would have probably broken by now
>>
>>798155

I agree, my point was that he isn't going to get a similar japan made reel for the same price.
>>
>>798156
you sure wont. with a little digging I found that all the Lew's stuff is made in Korea which ive heard isnt that bad tbqh but still doesn't give me the confidence of knowing its going to be a reliable, dependable reel like a swedish or Japanese made reel
>>
>>798158
Still gonna pay real high just to get that "Made In" stamp. It's not really practical for most people. Although the "Muh Made In USA!!!" people will never change their mind on these issues so it isn't worth arguing.

Not to say I wouldn't like a rack full of Swedish Abus and Japanese Shimanos, but most of the people that say the reels are shit with Asian manufacturing are the "in the good ole days" people or those just trying to justify that they paid a whole lot more without getting much more in return.
>>
>>798164
I mean shit, I dont give a fuck if it was made in some broken down mexican garage as long as its made with quality pe1rcise parts that wont break with minimal use. Thats all I care about, not specificaly where its made
>>
>>797419
what shoes are those pls
>>
>>798165
It's kinda the same with the knife threads. And a ton of other stuff. When I rode BMX, there were a lot of frames like that too.

You can often get better quality for the same price if you go with Asian made instead of US or whatever. Like I said, I would love a rack of Swedish Abus and a US made DW drum kit, but I don't have $25k laying around to drop on a drum kit and a few rods and reels.

The main difference in the end will be the quality control. But from a reputable company, this shouldn't be an issue. And a quality company should give you a warranty anyway.

With Shimano's Japanese reels, maybe 1/10,000 slips past QC with a defect. From their SE Asian plants, maybe 1/5,000 makes it out with a problem. If you get the 1/5,000 busted reel, send that fucker back.

Of course the top of the line reels will still be made in Japan, Europe, or the US just to make sure the flagship model checks all the boxes, but you could have the exact same reel manufactured overseas for significantly less. Plus a lot of times they will all use the same parts made in China, it's often just the assembly phase that gives you the "Made In Japan" stamp.
>>
>>798175
I dont see a problem with spending the little bit more if I know that the difference in performance and endurance is substantial enough to be worth it. Perfect example, I bought the Abu ambassador SX which is the cheapest ambassador they sell and upon receiving it and comparing it to the more costly c3 and c4 on youtube the difference in quality was.... substantial. needles to say I returned it before I even spooled some line on it for the c4 even though it was double the price
>>
>>798189
It better be nicer for double the price. I'm just saying not all Asian made stuff is garbage like some people like to spout off. But you can get the highest end Asian made reel and compare it to the cheapest (insert developed country here) made reel, and they may have a $200 price difference but performance is almost the same.

The Japanese and Swedish made stuff will always be nice because they aren't going to pay the high labor costs for budget reels. But the more expensive Asian made mid-range stuff can still be pretty good.

I'm just wasting the time typing this because there are lots of reviews online from people saying "I bought a Chinese made Shimano once and it was trash compared to my 25 year old Japanese reel!" and it's the same people who complain that new cars are garbage because they have too many buttons and are confusing. You have to take stuff like that with a grain of salt.
>>
>>798194
the outside parts and almost all the internal parts besides the main drive gear were plastic on the SX reel.. the c4 is a beautiful full anodized aluminum reel and the internals are all aluminum as well. from all the videos I watched on it all I need to do is oil it and not treat it like shit and it should quite literally last for my entire life
>>
>>797318
>is there anything mepps can't do

catch me a gf ;_;
>>
I'm thinking about putting some braid on my reel to hopefully save more lures from snags. Would 30 lb power pro allow me to cast 1/8 oz lures very far? I honestly don't use lures that small most of the time but it's nice to have the option.
>>
File: 1100607.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1100607.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>797318
Catch me Sir Nibblesworth, or a clam
>>
>>798223
Can nibblesworth and Mr whiskers be friends ? When you get him back?
>>797786
>>
>>798224
Is that a yellow? And yes, bullheads aren't cannibalistic.
>>
File: image.jpg (575KB, 1531x1593px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
575KB, 1531x1593px
Ahh afternoons into night fishing
>>
>>798229
Not 100 percent sure what he is, I havent tried to figure it out too much , he and his 2 younger siblings are living in my pond
>>
File: image.jpg (838KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
838KB, 1536x2048px
>>798230
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>798232
Gotta get out when the predators start hunting
>>
>>798232
Nice gill
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 720x960px
>>798245
Thanks doing pretty well on maribou jigs and shallow cranks

Honestly i think I'm catching the same fish over and over

gotta move to a new pond

i think this guy is the exact same bass i got a few days ago here
>>
>>798245
>gill

You mean green sunfish?
>>
>>798260
i tend to refer to most sunfish, etc as gills sometimes, i grew up with it,
>>
>>798260
All panfish are just weird-colored gills
>>
>>798075

My 7 dollar polarized sunglasses work just fine.
>>
>>798076

Start with 12 inches then go deeper. Always fish near cover if you have the option. 90% of fish in any pond will usually be in 10% of it. Near cover and in shallow water.
>>
>>798118

Seconding Shimano. An IX series reel and rod will cost 30 bucks, handle anything up to 50ish lbs, and last years.
>>
File: 1416703901317.jpg (526KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1416703901317.jpg
526KB, 2048x1536px
>>798293
sad to chime in and sad the shitty $10 berkley glasses i picked up at a tackle shop work better with their polarization then the $30 pair of randoms i picked up somewhere else.
altho the hideous pair of aviatoresc yellow tinted pair my dad has form the eightys are by far the best ive ever used as a pair of shades, they just looked so retarded it hurt.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Older Penns would probably last through a nuclear holocaust. The build quality difference between my new 4/0 senator and my old 3/0 is night and day.
>>
>>798313
Seconded. I've got a few old Penn reels (peer 209, peer 309, long beach 60, and a long beach 68) and I love them. I used to have two 68s but managed to kill one. No idea how though
But then again I've killed uglystik rods so...
>>
2 weeks of consistent no bites from the rainbow trout at my lake. What the hell is going on. Currently using powerbait eggs, what should I switch it up with?
>>
>>798318
>2 weeks of consistent no bites from the rainbow trout at my lake. What the hell is going on. Currently using powerbait eggs, what should I switch it up with?

Are they stocked?
>>
>>798320
Stocked rainbows in a small lake maybe 15-20 ha. First time using the powerbait and hooked within 20 mins with a nice 12''. I have now went through maybe half the bottle and not a single bite.
>>
>>798315
Skid please tell me what to do when I go to the shore

I have at my disposal a 9' Ugly Stik medium heavy with a spinning reel sized for such a rod

I do not have any lures or terminal tackle for saltwater

I will not have access to a boat

Please advise me as to what to do
>>
>>798343
Wear a wolf costume and shove the rod up your ass. That's how I do it at the shore.
>>
>>798348
Obviously not the real skid. Here's your (You)
>>
>>798324
trout like worms, mealworms, and spinners also, try some of those
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>798261
>>798279
I think bream is the name to use when talking about all breeds of bluegill and sunfish. But there are sea bream too which is confusing.
>>
>>797442
Thanks for your service
>>
>>798324
>Stocked rainbows in a small lake maybe 15-20 ha. First time using the powerbait and hooked within 20 mins with a nice 12''. I have now went through maybe half the bottle and not a single bite.

Here's what you do.

Go as close to sunrise as possible. Water will be the coldest and trout love cold water. Closer to freezing the better.

Get yourself a salmon egg hook. 10-24 inches of fluorocarbon leader 6 lbs test or lower. A small barrel swivel, and 1/8 egg sinker. Rig it slip rig style.

Get chartreuse, pink, and orange varieties of Berkley trout powerbait. Completely coat the hook with a ball just enough so that it floats. It has to float for this to really work.

Cast out near the edges of weeds, lillypads, submerged brances, anywhere you see fish holding, etc.

You may also need to adjust leader length in order to find out at what depth the fish are holding. A couple of rods may work.

As far as lures go, Inline spinners and super dupers also work well.

And try to find out the fishing schedule. In lots of places that get regularly stocked, the same people show up every morning and fish the pond empty in a couple of days. If you're there weeks after the last stocking, you're getting the fewest, smartest, and least hungry fish.
>>
>>798465
Can someone explain the point of going to a lake and catching fish that were just put there, will dissappear, and be replaced on a schedule? Seems very unnatural, like shooting a pheasant thrown from a tower then lying by saying you go pheasant hunting.
>>
>>798478
It's all just a game anyway unless you're hungry. And at that rate you ought to be finding food rather than contemplating the nature of leisure.
>>
>>798478
>Can someone explain the point of going to a lake and catching fish that were just put there, will dissappear, and be replaced on a schedule?

The fish are still fish. Once they get in the water, they act like fish and do what fish do. They don't just jump into the boat.

They're stocked because, for a variety of reasons, a sustainable breeding population is not viable. More often than not because the environment isn't appropriate for breeding, or the area is so densely populated by people that even regular fishing + nature would deplete the population in weeks.

Here in central Texas, it's a combination of both. Trout could never survive the late spring/summer heat, and they're stocked in park ponds where lots of people fish a lot, so there's usually nothing in there anyway.

And many reserves where you hunt quail/pheasant/etc are "stocked" as well.

It's either that, or you limit the number of people who can hunt/fish the property.
>>
Vacationing on Cape Cod and looking for some tips. Anyone? Northeast?
>>
>>798318
>>798324

minnows, worms, night crawlers, corn, wax worms..
>>
>>798318
>>798324

What kind of line? What kind of hooks? Bottom fishing? Float fishing? Free lining? How far off the bottom/surface? Weather conditions? Parts of the pond?
>>
>>798343
What line is on it?
>>
>>798478
i wait 1-3 months before going out trout fishing after i put them in the river,
Long enough for the majority of dumb ones to get picked through, But short enough theyre still there, and havent all been got, i managed to et 3 yesterday, and am going to go back today to try to fish the same spot,
>>798497
feesh or salt? what do you have for gea ?
>>
File: toofattofish.jpg (27KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
toofattofish.jpg
27KB, 330x500px
>>798514
>>
Moving to Spokane WA soon and I want to start catching Steelhead. I've been doing lake fishing for a few months now. Recommendations on a good rod and reel for this. What type of lures do you use?
>>
File: IMG_2572.jpg (558KB, 1951x2600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2572.jpg
558KB, 1951x2600px
Not from this board, I'm going musky fishing, tell me what to do and what not to do because I don't have a single clue on where to start.
>>
>>798611
Catch fish.

Don't not catch fish
>>
>>798611
if you want big musky, think big deep water and tackle that can dive that deep. I was just musky fishing in Canada two weeks ago and I ended up using only two lures the entire week. 1. Big doctor 285 (silver and gold) 2. Mepps syclops (silver). We fished mostly shallow water due to the fact that we didnt have anything that dove 75-100 feet and still ended up with a little over 50 in 4 days.
>>
>>798625
> hit the beach
> see shitload of burds diving near shore
> get excited and start casting
> get nothing after an hour
> then i realize that there's so many anchovies near shore that they darken the water for as far as I can see along the coast.
> Anchovies aren't even jumping because there aren't enough predators nearby to come close to eating them all.
> Birds continue to dive for 3 hrs straight
> my lure probably has like 1 in a million chance of getting hit by anything in the water, if they aren't all full already. It's grunion run time too so they probably get fed grunion buffet by night and anchovies buffet by day.
> even snag an anchovy with my lure.

First time i got skunked because there are too much actitivies near shore. At least this will draw big fishes closer to shore for a few weeks.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Welp, I think I should get out fishin'. Not sure where I want to go. I can stay real close and get some small-med bass. Drive 15min and try to get sneks and medium bass, or go to the lake with the big guys.
>>
File: image.jpg (826KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
826KB, 2448x2448px
>>798682
>not sure where I want to go

The ocean is calling you. Find a jetty and start tossing plugs.
>>
I can get an older 16' grumman aluminum canoe for $150
Sound like a good deal?
>>
>>798685
Yes. Long as its in good condition.
>>
>>798685
Everyone around me wants at least $400 for their beat up canoe. I found one for ~$200, but the guy never messaged me back
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Still not sure what to think about the LiveTarget MemeBalls. Only thing I sure of is I'm glad I didn't pay $18ea for them.

>>798699
>I know what I got!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-21-17-56-07.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-21-17-56-07.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>798699
I've found the app Letgo to be useful to finding decent deals. I have two canoes at the price point of $150
Unknown brand 16' plastic canoe in decent condition

Or 17' grumman aluminum canoe in decent condition without any welds or other repairs

Which should I go for?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-21-17-55-24.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-21-17-55-24.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>798745
>>
Probably going to go night time fishing for my first time tonight. Aiming for bass and Sir Nibblesworth. What's my best bet catching bass in a fast moving, murky river at night?
>>
>>798751
*what lure is my best bet
>>
>>798751

Wait, he was from a river? You are never going to recatch that nigga lel
>>
>>798760
Never say never nigga
>>
>>798745
I'll look into that. I'd go with the aluminum personally, since you don't know if the plastic one has been sitting in the sun it's whole life. It'd probably be fine, but I'm paranoid about that stuff.
>>
>>798514
No line
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>798751
Mepps
Is
Always
The
Answer

Or regular spinners, but dark colors and Colorado blades are the way to go in that case.

How does topwater like poppers work in moving water? I never really fished rivers with lures.
>>
File: 20160620_135428.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160620_135428.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Anybody here from 907? How's the fishing been? Saw a 176 lb halibut yesterday at work.
>>
>>798782
I have had 0 success with mepps
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 402x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 402x400px
>>798751
Listen to pepsi I swear by mepps black fury for afternoon and night fishing bass

I went to a spillway and foul hooked a tiny perch through the gut on one just now. Feels bad. First perch i got from that spillway though. I see young carp now too everyone else looks pretty healthy.

No pictures though foul hooking is shameful im no scrub
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>798785
How? Mepps always seem to do it for me when nothing else is working at all. Especially right after the sun goes down, I will toss a bigger #4 or #5 and they do really well. Even when Rooster Tails, Blue Foxes, or regular spinnerbaits aren't working, I switch on a Mepps and it's like magic.

The old-school black and yellow Black Fury is a killer at night.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm gonna let you guys in on a secret...

Zoom Sprayed Grass

They have finesse worms in that color and I grabbed the Baby Brush Hogs in Sprayed Grass too. Might be my favorite color. Just wish I could find the lizards in that color.
>>
>>798782
can I ask why you always lay your fish on the ground? I know its nit picky but its not good for the fish and I don't really see any reason other then taking a picture and you can just lip it.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798800
Are you saying you would prefer pics like this?

And fuck this FL wind. Always 15mph+ from the east. Just had a nice big bite for a couple seconds but so hard to set the hook right with the wind.
>>
>>798782
>>798787
I'll try it.
And topwater lures like poppers are less effective in more rapid/noisy waters

Hopefully I'll get a decent sized fish to post later
>>
>>798819
its not really a preference but just a curtosy to the fish because if you lay them down it wipes off their slim layer which helps them in a lot of ways. I know it seems like its not a really a big deal but if your going to fish I feel like you should do as much as you can to respect what you catch and not laying them down is easy enough
>>
>>798819

You could try not blogging every dink you catch
>>
>>798822
I agree with this anon. If you take the fish, I don't give a fuck what you do with it, but respect C&R fish senpai

Also keep fucking up those snakeheads
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798827
>>798822
I think you two are overestimating the damage that is caused to a fish by laying it in the grass for a couple seconds. They swim through the shit all day and seem to do just fine.

>>798826
Then what's the point of the thread?
>>
>>798827
well yea gotta kill the snake head's obviously but the ones you put back should be cared for like you said
>>
>>798833
im not trying to overestimate it im just saying, how hard is it to just not lay them down to take a pic. Since a lot of the fish you catch are large mouth its even less of a big deal because like you said their slime layer is pretty minimal but say you catch a pike or any other particularly slimy fish you need to try your hardest to not wipe it off on the ground or yourself
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798838
4u

I'll keep laying em in the grass though, especially if I need to measure them agains something. The grass is the least worry when you hook a fish and drag it out of the water. Plus, like I said, they manage to survive rubbing against the grass underwater all day. You should tell the fish to stop doing that. I'll pass the word on with the next one I catch.
>>
File: IMG_20160606_162431360.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160606_162431360.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>798833
Avoid laying fish like trout on their sides no mater what shit like bass , it's pretty okay to lay them down as long as the surface isn't dry as fuck ( don't go throwing it down on dusty sandy dry dirt )

>>798838
Lipping largemouth can cause damage if done wrong

Plus I've found with fish over 18 or so inches it's hard to get a decent picture when holding them ,
Wich ia why alot of my pics are like this
The fish resting on my rod
It's hard to hold a phone, a fish, and a rod all at the same time and get a decent picture
>>
Also fuck Puerto Ricans, fuckers coming to the river and stirring shit up, leaving garbage everywhere and smoking pot
>Good thing the police does their job here
>>
>>798855
you realize when they are underwater that their slime layer doesn't come off when swimming against seaweed.. only once its out of the water can it really be wiped off
>>798857
>lay rod down
>extend arm with fish in hand
>use other hand to snap pic or hald fish next to chest and take a selfie with fish

am I missing something or....?
>>
>>798857
Be careful, that rod is gonna kill those fish ;^)
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798863
You're just complaining to complain
>>
File: IMG_20160613_185040555.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160613_185040555.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>798863
Alot of the places I fish I can't just set my rod down , sometimes I'm waist deep in water, other times I'm standing on a lone rock in the middle of a swampy area, other times I simply don't want to get my rod all caught up in undergrowth

Also slime coat very much does come off underwater ,
It comes off always basically, it's like skin, constantly growing and constantly dying and coming off ,
>>798864
Shieet
>>
>>798870
Reminder we have a dedicated shitposter who talks shit to tripfags, says Nibblesworth is dead, and imitates other trips like here>>798348
It's probably just him stirring shit up
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Caught some larg mouth bass a couple nights ago.
>pic related
Friends grandpa died and I can fish at his pond now. Hoping they are all this big or bigger.
>>
>>798864
>>798870
>>798876
its just my opinion, never said you had to agree
>>
File: 1459383552443.jpg (26KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
1459383552443.jpg
26KB, 600x375px
>>798879
>eating large mouth bass
>>
>>798881
I don't agree
I work with hundreds of thousands of fish on a daily basis, I know a little but about them and how to handle them
>>
>>798885
o-ok cool
>>
>>798885

Congrats, you have a job throwing pellets at trout, I'm sure that makes you an expert on all species. There is no reason to put every C&E fish on the ground just to satisfy your craving for attention.

I'm not even the anon who brought it up to begin with.
>>
>>798888
Chekd
Though you are totally right about trying to not get rid of the slime coat, setting them on dirt or anyting that absorbs water is pretty bad

Grassetc isn't terrible if they don't flop alot,
But you are 100 percent right about trying to keep handling to a minimum

Though I clean my pond at my house weekly , sometimes more often and do handle my fish quite a bit and haven't had issue
(Other than fucking racoon's)
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798882
I love bass more than any other fish. Besides salmon but I live in Iowa. Here is a nice catfish for ya if it makes you happier.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>798889
Gotta show the pics to somebody...

I just like having the pics for myself too, especially with the lure in the pic so I can remember what I caught, when I caught it, and what bait it took. My memory isn't so great after a few too many years as a pothead.
>>
>>798778
What are the specs on the reel? Or actually what exactly is the reel?
>>
>>798889
I never said to put all fish on the ground, all I said is its not a disaster of you have to, most of my fish stay in the water as I release them and or picture them

And while yes some of my job is feeding and cleaning , but more so it's handiling it's also important to know when a pond isn't doing well due to things like slime coat etc , but it's also my job to k ow how to handle them,

All I'm saying is (most) fish are more resilient than you might think
And other than fucking up the gills or totally removing the slime coat fish can be pretty hardy
>>
>>798891
yea but due you gotta remember your fishing a POND... if you keep every big fish you catch you arnt going to be catching them for very much longer, or any big ones at least. Is the taste of the fish worth loosing the fun an excitement of reeling in a monster that you could release to only get bigger? These are just my opinions and you can obviously do what ever you want but it just doesn't make much sense to me
>>
>>798898
It's not my pond and my friend is going to be selling the land soon so he wants me to take all the big ones while I can. Otherwise I normally never keep fish from a pond.
>>
>>798898
This
Let monsters go; keep the barely-legals for eating.
>>
>>798901
When it's not your land and your buddy is trying to sell it and wants you to keep the monsters it's a different story
>>
>>798898
Ayy there's actually the one thing I agree with. So many of my lakes are kinda fucked because people don't realize that it takes years for a bass to grow to 4-5lbs and it's not like there are thousands of bass that size in a small lake. I single handedly put a big dent in the snakehead population along like 150yds of shoreline after only getting rid of a handful of big ones.

But it depends what this "pond" is like and where it is. There are just too many people around here that fish these unstocked urban lakes and keep the fish so it ruins it. If that is some farm pond that nobody ever fishes, keeping a few bass won't hurt but if anon does that once a week, there will be nothing but 10" fish in there by next fall.
>>
>>798900
ok well then thats a different story obviously. Enjoy your feast!
>>
File: image.jpg (691KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
691KB, 1536x2048px
Got this Abu mgxtreme and a legend elite Croix for my birthday from the old lady...
I've never gotten a nicer gift...
>>
>>798907
There's ponds I fish that are small enough that removing 3 big largemouths would fuck the entire population for the next 5-10 years
There's one pond I fish (very infrequently) that I've only ever gotten 10-15 inches out of it, recently I found out they drain the lake every year and esentially kill everything in it then restock he next spring with 12 inch bass and 5 inch gills

What the fuck is the point of that?
>>
>>798518
>salt
or can go fresh but would prefer the bigguns.
7', 8', 10' rods, 5k, 6k, 8k series reels
Looking mainly for tips on spots/tides/times
>>
>>798921
Won't be much help with that as I'm not very experienced in salt, though I've had luck walking beaches until I see fish bursting then casting to them
Not much help but it's worth a shot to get schoolies and blues
>>
>>798918
Damn that looks gud. I really need to stop buying lures for like 2 months, save up the money, and get a combo like that.

>>798920
Yeah I got spoiled now from that one lake where I got that big guy at a few weeks ago. It's not totally fucked up. People still fish there, but not a ton since it's kinda hard to find. It's nice because almost all the bass I'm getting are 3lb+, which is how it should be when I'm casting way out at a lake in FL. So many places are overpopulated with 10"-14" bass. I think people keeping the few big fish fucks up the lakes really good. If there's no big bass to eat the big bluegill and stuff, then bluegill take over and eat all the little shit and even the small bass have a hard time growing.

I would love to find a lake that maybe sees a fisherman once a month and people rarely keep stuff.
>>
File: GC bass3.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
GC bass3.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798920
is it bad that I threatened to physically assault a classmate of mine in high school because he thought he would try fishing at the golf course I live near and said he was going to keep them and eat them? never saw that little faggot over there again luckily
>>
>>798925
Totally reasonable.

But lipping the fish like that is guaranteed replies.
>>
>>798929
picture makes it seem bigger then it was. trust me it was a dink
>>
>>798936
Yeah it doesn't look too huge. It's that gut on those huge jaws that wouldn't be good.

That thing has nice color though.

I need to find some lakes like that. There are a few I have been scouting recently but not sure if I can get away with it. There is a lake around this mall that has tons of lilles and structure and looks like it could be really good if I can find good spots to fish from shore and avoid mall security. Another is these canals by my work and the water is super murky but I have a feeling there could be lots of sneks and would go crazy for loud spinners and crankbaits.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>798794
My collection is growing truly becoming fond of inline spinners

They are so shiny

I now understand why they say lures catch more anglers than fish
>>
>>798941
got that little guy in a little pond over at my local golf course. its pretty sweet over there cause there is a no mans land where the weeds grow up waste high and i can walk through there and fish a little cluster of 3 ponds all right next to each other and it doesn't disturb the golfers cause im completely out of sight. only down side is the water levels are getting really low and i believe the winter killed the majority of them in there :/
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>798942
I have a couple of those Agila Longs but never used them much. I really should. They run a little deeper but not quite as much vibration.

You're still missing the classic though. You need the one with the brown and black skirt and gold or silver blade. You will see when you look at them, the hair they use for the skirts is different. I think they use synthetic for the colored ones and the natural squirrel tails for the brown ones.

Also a #4 or #5 would be good. Even small largemouth will still go for big ones, and the larger Mepps have bigger hooks which will hook the big guys better. #4 has been one of my favorites. You can cast em much further too because of the weight.
>>
File: 162190831.jpg (3MB, 2979x1678px) Image search: [Google]
162190831.jpg
3MB, 2979x1678px
I feel bad that i let my friend eat him. Bluegill and crappie are the best, not sure why anyone would want something else.
>>
File: image.jpg (200KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200KB, 1600x1200px
>>798895
Shakespeare sigma 060

Same as the one in the pic
>>
>>798958
Ahh cmon nigga
That's a beautiful fish
Crappie are beat freshwater fish
But most stuff salt ia better than fresh

I need to get a sharp fillet knife so I can fillet little bluegills easier , and try more recipies
>>
>>798949
YeH ill probably get some bigger ones

Where do you get them? I'd go to bass pro but there wont be one near me for a while. i've been checking ebay and that's been pretty nice
>>
>>798965
I told him the same thing. I gave him as much shit as I could but I'm not gonna lose a fishing buddy over it.

Also just get those Rapala fillet knives at Walmart. They work for me
>>
>>798975
I just need to sharpen mine, and get back in practice I haven't filleted anything in 2-3 years
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798974
Idk, I order a couple online whever I need to order shit from Bass Pro or wherever. It kinda sucks because Bass Pro and all the Dick's have a very mediocre selection of them. Used to be easier back in the day. But the selection varies at different Bass Pros and I don't think inline spinners are very popular here.

My local bait shop in IL had a god-tier selection of Mepps. I also used to buy those 5-pack kits back in the day but stopped doing that since I don't use one or two of them much. Gander Mountain had a bunch of them on clearance after Christmas too so I stocked up. But Bass Pro's website has a really good selection as long as you are willing to pay full retail plus shipping.

I have added a handful of Blue Foxes and regular spinnerbaits since taking this pic too.
>>
File: IMG_20160621_215849.jpg (3MB, 2113x2817px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160621_215849.jpg
3MB, 2113x2817px
Been doing well bustin' those fluke on bucktails. Yesterday i got into some awesome little juvenile action on the kayak.

They were chasing baitballs and busting all over the surface. The birds overhead were the giveaway.

Trolling and casting a bucktail with a teaser would produce double hook ups all the time.

Gotta get out to my real good fluke grounds. Its the right time of year, just need to make time to go.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>798982
>>798974
And you can see in that pic how much I like the ones with the brown and black natural hair skirts. I have a bunch of #2 and #3 Agilas with the brown skirt just because I was using them so much up north.
>>
>>798985
I need to get down to the shore more often,
Went down a few days ago with family to the beach and brought a rod,
3 schoolies 18-20' and 23 inches
In a short amount of time
>>
File: image.jpg (281KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281KB, 640x1136px
>>798987
>I need to get down to the shore more often
Me too...
>>
>>798982
>>798986
Yeah i was looking at some of the kits on amazon. $20 for 7 lures sounds nice but i dont really want to buy more doubles than i already bought
>>
>>798964
Either fill it up with suffix tritanium 17 pound test high vis yellow, or buy a 500 yards of 50 pound power pro high vis yellow. Really depends on budget. The tritanum can really do a hell of a lot of work, but I've broken off plenty of nice fish on my Penn mag 525 with it.
If you're really worried about cost and want the best of both world's get some 20 pound suffix tritanium and some 20 pound power pro
You'll get amazing casts and good strength but maintainance will be a pain.
Now that you've got that done you'll need two leader materials
20 pound flouro and 50-80 pound mono
The flouro will be for lures and light baits
The mono is for heaving
If you're casting less than two ounces over all (that is if the bait, weight, and rigging are under 2 oz together) use the 20 pound flouro
If it's any more than that use the mono for a shock leader
That should be able to get you everything from spot and Crocker to sharks and rays up to 5 feet
>>
File: 1.png (15KB, 359x352px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
15KB, 359x352px
>>798988
>>
>>798979
I like my old hickory slicing knife for cleaning fish. I've taken down everything from 6 inch bluegill to 6 foot bull shark with it
Its 1095 carbon, 15 bucks, takes a shaving edge quickly and holds it wonderfully, and if I ever manage to break it I'm going to buy another
>>
>>798991
Ehh, you will snag them eventually. That's why I have multiples of some of my favorite ones. I was really tempted by some of those kits on eBay like the Basser kit because you can get them around $20 with free shipping. That would be $30+ in-store.

I still need to find the goddamn brown skirt and chartruese blade. That one was awesome.
>>
312 when?
>>
>>799004
Wut about Chicago?
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 750x1334px
>>799002
Bleh
>>
>>798992
Thanks for the help

What lures should I get?

Also what else should I get in terms of hooks, weights, swivels, glass beads, etc?
>>
>>799009
Damn, that sucks. I swear I remember seeing them for cheaper a couple months ago.

It's hard to find good deals on lure assortments sometimes too. There will be steals on lure lots, like 20 of the exact same size and color, but that's not for me.

I want to add, yellow skirt with a gold or silver blade is a bretty gud one too. I have had a lot of luck with those.
>>
>>798988

Man if I lived that close to the ocean....
>>
>>799014
I feel like it would be fun to make your own inline spinners, but i think i'd rather tie bucktail jigs

Fewer pieces
>>
>>799018
There are kits to make inlines. Anon posted a link to a real quality kit the other day where they have silver plated blades and shit. I might do it one day. But it's probably going to be like $150 worth of stuff (although I could make 100 spinners). I want to be able to make some custom painted blades. Mostly so I can do chartruese. But then there is the issue of making the dressed treble hooks...

I wonder if Mepps would sell just the parts to make them.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 344x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 344x400px
Almost time for a new thread... Somebody else give me a bump so we can hit 310 on this and I can post a new one and go to sleep.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 359x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 359x604px
>>799027
>>
>>799010
I'll try to do this on a budget for you
# 3 steel single strand wire
Swivels (100 pound breaking strength I'd advise)
Some two hook bottom rigs
A bunch of snelled #1 Aberdeen hooks
3/0 and 8/0 octopus circle hooks
#4 treble hooks
Big red plastic beads
Pyramid sinkers from 1 ounce to 4 ounce
That should cover natural bait
Then for lures get some bucktail jigs, get a 1/2 ounce in blue/white, yellow/white, and plain white
Then get some in 1 oz
Blue looks like mullet
Yellow looks like bunker
White looks like everything sorta
Then I'd say get some spoons, blue, yellow or gold, and silver
Same reasons
Get some #2 baitholder hooks
Get some 4 inch gulp swimming mullet
And get some gotcha plugs. I like pike with yellow belly, red head white body, and the "glow" ones
That should cover most of everything

Tie up a few rigs
Use the wire, 3/0 hooks, and treble hooks to Tie up a few like this
>Swivel
>6 inches of wire
>Hook
>3-5 inches wire
>Treble hook
Then tie a few like this
>Swivel, 5-6 inches wire, 6/0 hook
Then do a few differently
>Swivel
>#20 flouro for about 8-12 inches
>3/0 hook

>Swivel
>#50 mono 6-12 inches
>6/0 hook

Those will be used for 'fish finder" rigs
Look up those and the haywire twist

For the jigs I'd say tie a surgeons loop then 12-18 inches up do a dropper loop
Slip a #2 bairholder hook up on the dropper loop. Put a jig on the upper loop
Put a gulp swimming mullet on each

Then what I like to do is wire two spoons together about 12 inches appart. Make sure there is a swivel between them somewhee

For gotcha plugs I just put a #50 mono leader on it and check it every fish or two. If it's damaged cut and retie

That should get you fishing pretty well
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 640x640px
NEW
>>799033
>>
File: 20160607_220727.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160607_220727.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>798882
It's good eating
>>
File: mitnick.jpg (121KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
mitnick.jpg
121KB, 960x960px
>>go to board on cha
>>find last post on last page
>>bump to page 1
>>????
PROFIT!!!11

lather
rinse
repeat until banned
>>
File: haribo7.png (385KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
haribo7.png
385KB, 1360x768px
>>799028
10/10 would raep
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 88

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.