[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any tips on making my own bike and where to buy parts? Just looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Any tips on making my own bike and where to buy parts? Just looking for something casual.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>776245
Coming from a former BMX rider, it's going to get expensive doing that. Better to buy a complete with a decent frame and upgrade stuff as you see fit.

Also,
>>>/n/
>>
>>776265
about how much? I was under the impression buying parts and making one yourself was a lot cheaper.
>>
>>776266
Idk what it will be like for a fixie or road bike, but with BMX, you could spend $700 on a really nice complete bike. To build almost the same bike using individual parts at full retail, you will probably end up spending like $1100-$1400.

A BMX mailorder company called DansComp used to sell a kit with everything besides the frame so you could buy your own frame and get the kit for another $300-$500, but a lot of the major parts were mediocre in the kit and you can't really get specific sizes you want.

Just remember, those $10 bearings and cables start to add up real quick.

I mean maybe you could find a cheap used bike with shitty wheels and a couple broken things but a frame you like, then order some of the major parts like a set of wheels, good cranks, fresh grips and tires, and build it up while still having lots of the small parts like the headset and seat post that are still good from the old bike. That would be the cheapest if you really want to build it up.
>>
>>776266
Look around online too. Maybe you can buy somebody else's custom bike they got bored of. And bicycle parts get upgraded and change a lot, limited edition colors and such, so you can often get last year's parts for a good discount from major retailers if you aren't picky. I paid 60% of retail cost for my frame since I bought it right as the new model was about to come out.
>>
>>776245
Make it out of PVC. All of it. Even the wheels.
Use a heatgun to bend pvc.
Build it for kekles, sell it for shekels
Also>>>/diy/
>>
What do you want out of it?
If you're after the satisfaction of riding something you designed/built, sure.
If you're trying to save money ... DIY in that case is going to cost a lot more before you have a finished product.

>>776265
>buy a complete with a decent frame and upgrade stuff
I would do this. Scope out garage sales and thrift stores for starters.
>>
>>776355
*rubs hands
>>
>>776266
Maybe 2-3x as much if you pay full retail. Big manufacturers get a huge OEM discount on components, the only advantage to building it yourself is you can get exactly what you want (or if you already have a stash of parts t o put on a new frame). If you're really good at finding deals or don't mind used parts you can save a bit.
>>
>>776245
If you want something cheap and casual, used bikes are the way to go. Way better value if you know enough not to buy a lemon (or get it through a shop that'll fix it up and stand behind their work).
>>
>>776245
Just buy used, bro.

pinkbike.com
bicyclebluebook.com
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.