[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a side arm suggested for going /out/ in AK? If so, what kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

File: download (20).jpg (10KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (20).jpg
10KB, 276x183px
Is a side arm suggested for going /out/ in AK? If so, what kind
>>
>>766149
Yes. Not /k/ here but not bringing a gun /out/ is risky. Spooky shit happens in the woods.

It's really up to preference. Do you want to conceal it? Do you need it to possibly defend against large animals like bears? I would go with a .45 to be safe. I like revolvers because they're less tacticool and nothing beats them for reliability.

As for animals, only use your gun as a last resort. You should carry bear spray which works better than a firearm anyways. No need to kill an animal for being an animal no matter how aggressive it is. If the bear spray fails (it won't) then resort to the firearm.
>>
File: IMG_9420.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9420.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>766149
I just finished a 2 week trip on the Kenai Pennisula doing a couple short backpacking trips and lots of day hikes.

We did not see a sinlge bear or have any trouble with any people. In fact we hardly saw people on the trails, except near Anchorage and everyone was nice as fuck. At a campground north of Seward a bear hunter said he was having a hard time finding bears beacuse most were within the city limits looking for food this time of year.

I chose not to bring my revolver and just had bear spray, which we didn't need. I own several guns and rarely bring any while /out/, most animals/people near me can be fended off with a big stick.

>>766158
What kind of spooky shit have you encountered?
>>
File: IMG_20160411_204228.jpg (296KB, 1911x1075px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_204228.jpg
296KB, 1911x1075px
>>766149

I always keep a firearm on me out in the woods, less about bears and more just in case I run into any violent methheads which is honestly far more likely of a scenario than a bear/animal attack. Still, I use a 10mm Glock 29 since it does have the power to take down black bear.

In AK you're dealing with grizzlies so I'd probably recommend a good bear spray and at least a .44 mag revolver.
>>
>>766158
>possibly defend against large animals like bears? I would go with a .45 to be safe

.45 ACP might be adequate for black bears, it's definitely not adequate for brown bears. Hell, even .357 magnum and 10mm are generally NOT recommended for brown bears and 10mm is more powerful than .45 ACP (500 ft/lbs vs 750 ft/lbs).
>>
>>766431
Same. Here in AK ive ran into tweakers dumping meth cook waste more times than ive ran into a grizzly.
>>
>>766455
Did you use your bear mace on the tweakers before drawing your gun?

It is the responsible thing to do afterall...
>>
>>766149
>bear caliber guns
http://www.chuckhawks.com/grizzly_cartridges.htm
>>
>>766149

Look up Alaskan state animal attack reports. They have to list all the info. 9 times out of 10, the full grown bear(both brown and black), moose, other large game is killed with a .357 or
.45...no mag dumps, just a few shots.

All these ppl who say you need this giant ass round, are clearly fucking retarded, who have no real knowledge of shit.

Shit, look at that guy who died in Alaska, fucker took down a full grown moose with a 22 lr, with good shot placement.

Look at Annie oakleu...bitch killed a adult grizzly with a 22. Shot the bitch in its face.

Now every one will argue about what I said. There has been enough reports and studying to back up what I said. So you can all eat a bag of ducks for all I care.

Best of luck, OP.
>>
>>766284
>what kind of spooky shit have you encountered?

Lol nothing really. I just read a lot about murders and missing people in forests and I have an active imagination. I don't see a problem with carrying a gun for piece of mind if it means I will enjoy myself more. I only carry when I solo camp.

Inb4 /x/.

>>767108
>all these people that say you need a giant ass round are fuckin retarded.

/this. Annon speaks the truth.

Besides, bear mace works better and should be your first line of defense anyways. And if you think it's easy to miss with bear spray, you're wrong.
>>
>>766149
>firearm in AK

imo it is essential. Along with bear spray and a mini air-horn.

What you have pictured there- Ruger Alaskan, is a good option. The .454 Casull is a powerful round and you can shoot Colt .45 rounds for practice. If this is too much power alternatives I'd prefer would include any reliable .357 magnum revolver, or a Glock 20.
>>
>>767129
>if you think it's easy to miss with bear spray, you're wrong.

The problem with spray is the weather and things obstructing it. If there is a 20mph headwind or even cross wind then that spray isn't going to be reliable. Temperatures in AK also fluctuate pretty wildly, this time of year can be anything from sub-zero overnight to 80+ in the day time. That aluminum pressurized spray canister with the plastic nozzle will undergo a lot of temp fluctuations. If you want to trust your life to this alone then you are rolling the dice imo.
>>
Why to bring a side arm in the woods:

South: Methheads, Alligators, Rattlesnakes, Bears, Boar

West: Methheads, Rattlesnakes, Bears, Cougars, Boar

East: Methheads, Rattlesnakes, Bears, New Yorkers, Boar

North: Methheads, Moose, Bears, Cougars, Boar

As you can see the threats remain relatively similar over the whole of North America

Bonus:

Hawaii: Methheads, Boar

Hawaii has it easy.
>>
>>767162
Have you ever actually shot bear spray before? The stream is strong as fuck and I highly doubt the wind would affect aim enough to stop any of the highly potent spray from reaching its target. It does not take much on target to have effect. That's why it is a continuous stream; to reduce the likely-hood that you completely miss.

I do agree that it is imperfect though, hence why i stress it as a first line of defense, a side arm being the contingency plan.
>>
>>767167
Forgot to suggest

A 9mm if you want to mag dump
A .45 if you think you have good aim
But also
>not having a semi-auto .308 caliber on your back
>>
>>767167
When would you actually need to shoot a rattlesnake?
>>
>>767167
who does america have so much meth?
>>
>>766284
I carry everywhere I go, woods or city. There are literally thousands of times I've carried and not needed it. But I was sure as fuck glad I had it the two times I needed it. You carry for the tail events, not the expected events. All it takes is one creep or one bear that has been fed a few too many times.
>>
>>767172
It is standard practice if you have an aggresive one near you and will continue to be in the area for more than 10 seconds.
>>
>>767177
This is why you shouldn't give money to bums. The start to rely on people for survival and are no longer afraid of them.

>>767174
It's the rural areas where they can't get good drugs. I don't think the innawoods meth labs are nearly as bad as they used to be with the crackdown on psuedoephedrine and the Mexicans making it instead.
>>
>>767177
Care to greentext the times you needed it?
>>
>>767181
Just last month my buddy had to get himself and a few guys to take back their property out in the country because meth heads were cooking meth in the cottage in his land. Was a citizen/sheriff seizing back of the house by arms. Yeah, the sheriff let my buddy help raid the house.
>>
>>767181
>It's the rural areas where they can't get good drugs.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I live in the Netherlands so the coke comes in through Rotterdam and we have a very prolific national ecstasy industry so maybe there's simply no market for meth over here.
>>
Anybody have a suggestion on where to buy a .44 revolver around Anchorage or the kenai peninsula? What would I be paying roughly?
>>
>>767194
I'm in France and I don't know anyone who ever took meth nor heard of it
Most people didn't know it existed before Breaking Bad
>>
>>766149

for fuck's sake, go to >>>/k/
>>
>>767510
How bout a gunshop, genius.
>>
>>767108
>All these ppl who say you need this giant ass round, are clearly fucking retarded, who have no real knowledge of shit.
>Shit, look at that guy who died in Alaska, fucker took down a full grown moose with a 22 lr, with good shot placement.
>Look at Annie oakleu...bitch killed a adult grizzly with a 22. Shot the bitch in its face.

Just because you can kill a grizzly with a .22 it doesn't mean it is a good idea to try.
Especially not in a self defense situation.
Also statistics on what is used in defense is more influenced by what people carry rather than what is a reliable bear killer.
Many carry their standard self defense weapon in the woods because that is what they have on hand and are trained with.

That being said, people underestimate .357 when it comes to bears, after all bullet and loading performance has improved over the years.
>>
I'm not going to dignify some of the responses with a tag, but most of this is bullshit.
There are plenty of bears out right now. There have been two major maulings this spring already. One man lost his entire face and is still in the ICU. Black bear are definitely moving into city limits, but I saw 6! fucking grizzlies in two days down at resurrection pass in Chugach.

I always carry a .44 redhawk with BB 340gr +P+. I don't care what you CAN kill a bear with... I care what will absolutely kill a bear. I ran into a griz at less than 30ft up by Delta Junction last year, and had to light her up with the bear spray. I had that fucking Redhawk cocked and ready to rock though.
>>
>>767510
Hit sportsmans or Bass Pro.
A Ruger Redhawk will handle the hottest .44 loads that a S&W can't handle. Tag will be around $850.
>>
>>767172

Anytime you see one
>>
>>767510

Used super black hawk.

600ish
>>
>>767171
>not being able to mag dump a 45

Are you 110 lbs?
>>
really if you can't even hike out on a trail let alone carry dead animals on yourself without fear of bears you need to not go into the woods. Trapping for 8 years and I dont carry a firearm only time I do is if I am checking leg holds.
>>
>>769435
*footholds
>>
>>769633
same type of trap two different names. Some call the foot hold for the larger ones and leg holds for the smaller ones.
>>
File: .38 ruger.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
.38 ruger.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>>766149
in the vast majority of places in North America your standard conceal carry is going to work. just a question of what you prefer.
>>
>>766149
How /out/ are we talking? State/national park with designated camping area? Then you dont necessarily need it but if not prohibited you might as well take it.

Anywhere else where there wont be a park ranger or wildlife countermeasures? Definitely take one.

Large predators like bear, the general accepted recommendation is something like .44 magnum, .45 LC, .454 Cas, 10mm or .460 rowland. I've read stories on both sides of bear mace being more useful as well as less useful.

If we are talking about security from assholes, get a concealable 9x19.
>>
File: 1447708319947.jpg (426KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447708319947.jpg
426KB, 1920x1080px
I think AK is about the only place in the US that carrying a gun for bears makes sense. Most anywhere else Bear Spray would be a better bet.

As far as crackheads or "Wrong Turn/Hills Have Eyes" types I think that shit is mostly mental masturbation and not a rational fear.
>>
>>771906
>mostly mental masturbation and not a rational fear.
Says the person with no knowledge of Appalachia
>>
>>771931

So prove it. Show us some news stories to back up your tinfoil ideas
>>
>>771991
Nigger, it's almost like you want to be made to squeal like a God damn pig.
>>
>>771931

Lived in Morgantown, WV for 6 months or so...
>>
>>771906
>>771991
There have been multiple times camping in the Appalachian mountains where I've found myself wishing I had brought a gun. Never needed one, but multiple situations where I've felt like things could go south quickly. All human related, no animals. The black bears run away if you bang some shit together loudly.
>>
>>772878

So nothing happened, you just felt that way. That doesn't mean that anyone needs one, it just means that you personally felt scared.
>>
>>772894
you seem like the kind of guy who doesn't get invited back very often
>>
>>772910

You sound like an american
>>
>>772894
It means that I could tell that I was around people who may have intended to do me harm. Why do you care so much what people bring with them hiking or camping? You must be European or Australian, they're the only ones I know that are always so intent on meddling in other peoples' business when it doesn't affect them at all.
>>
>>766149
You would most likely need it against other people than wild animals. A psycho encounter is much more common in the woods
>>
>>773106

>wah wah I'm a pussy

If they actually meant you harm you would've had to use it. But they didn't, you didn't, ipso facto pussytown.
>>
>>773148
I'd rather be a living pussy than a dead manly man. But go on, keep obsessing over how people like to do things thousands of miles away from you. Must suck to live in a country so irrelevant that you find how Americans spend their free time an important topic of discussion.
>>
>>773185

It's interesting how you can't respond to the idea of you being a pussy so you try to hide behind the perceived persecution of your nationality.

Nobody really cares about you guys as much as you imagine they do, everyone's just sick of hearing your bullshit.

For example, you would still be alive without the gun because those people didn't do anything to you. You just need it as a safety blankie.

But having that pointed out to you really seems to trigger you for some reason. Maybe it's just that you need to grow up, I don't know but now I'm curious. In the meantime, wear a nappy to stop the butt bleeding.
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 600x611px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 600x611px
>>773203
k lol
>>
>>771906
You must not leave your moms basement much.. I see methheads and hill looking people just around downtown anchorage let alone innawoods.
>>
If you're worried about bears and moose and such, I'd recommend a mare's leg lever action in .45-70 or .30-30

It's small, lightweight and can drop any game in North America.
>>
>>772874
Morgantown is hardly a "backwoods" area of Appalachia.

Some of the surrounding towns, maybe. Go south a few hours, definitely. Or west, east, north (southeast PA is not that much different from northeast WV)
>>
>>773318
yea if you can pack a long gun, a good levergat or pump shotgun w/ slugs is cake

i would recomment the pump shotgun but to each his own. mossberg 500 wil do
>>
>>773236

Don't forget your blankie next time you go out, kiddo
>>
>>773185
>I'd rather be a living pussy than a dead manly man

But nobody did anything. You didn't have to use the gun. So you wouldn't be a dead manly man without it and you're not a live one with it either, pussington
>>
>>773339
>europeans are literally this naive
Enjoy watching your wife get raped by Muhammed
>>
>>766455
Fuckin hell that must be some nasty chems down the watercourses
>>
>>767170
Biggest problem with wind is it coming back on your face!

Funny to imagine the bear and the hiker rolling around blind beside each other
>>
>>773379

>Thinking that Europeans are the only ones that don't like you
>>
>>766158
>As for animals, only use your gun as a last resort.
Not for mountain lions. Shoot those on sight.
Unless you live in one of the states that requires you to lay down and check your privilege when you see one.
>>
>>773379
>tfw European gun owners and rustled that I cannot bring my guns /out/ for personal safety
>>
>>773921
If you can see a mountain lion then it is generally not a danger to you, its the ones that drop out of a tree unnoticed and bite down on your neck before you know what hit you that you have to worry about.
>>
>>773970
No, if you can see a mountain lion in a forested area it's generally a bad sign. Shoot to kill.
>>
>>773336
I never do.
>>
>>774363
Thanks for replying for me bud
>>
if money is an issue got to a local pawn shop and get a cheap .357 or any bigger round for possibly $200ish dollars.
>>
>>774363

Just remember to wipe the dribble off your hand after you've been sucking your thumb otherwise you won't be able to grip the weapon and intimidate the empty forest.
>>
>>766149
More worried about two legged threats than four. For the two I carry the .380 LCP. I get mocked for it but it's light and I've literally never had to even pull it out. I just like to have it. For the four I carry bear spray. Again because I'm smart about it I've never had to use it.

I swear the way people talk about it it's like they want an excuse to shoot some poor animal. Just go hunting ffs.
>>
im not even from usa, im from georgia, caucasus, ive heard on out there are chances to run into bear in there, get at least 10mm pistol, eaa witness or glock will do, ak sbr will do better in 7.62x39 soviet.
>>
>>775016
also cant carry pistol here, best shot is 12 ga till u are 21
>>
>>769420
he's talking about capacity or lack thereof fool.
>>
The Ruger Alaskan is a solid option, but you're looking at like a 30-percentage-point improvement in survival chances (for bears) if you carry bear spray instead. The only time I'd want to take a gun would be if I might end up running out of bear spray, since cartridges are a lot lighter.
>>
>>766284
>most animals/people near me can be fended off with a big stick.
found the guy that actually goes out and knows his shit.
>>
>>767162
Its also possible that it could get in your eyes with winds, making you most fucked in a bear encounter. Bring a 357 orr 44magnum, a warning shot close will more than likely scare it away.
>>
>>766431
What chest rig ?
>>
Canadian fag here with similar question, would a blank gun work since it causes loud noise and is cheaper (also don't need to get certifies to carry). Some blank guns can also double as flare guns. Pic related, a blank gun that can also shoot bear bangers or flares.
>>
>>776489

Kenai chest holster
>>
>>767167
so in short Americans are just scaredy faggots and no real dangers are present

Except your large amounts of niggers everywhere
>>
>>778023
>Except your large amounts of niggers everywhere

So then it's completely valid
>>
>>778023
You grossly underestimate the amount of meth heads we have
>>
>>767167

Say methheads again
>>
>>766158
>revolvers
>reliable

memetastic
semi autos are just as relliable, especially in a gritty spot like AK

glock 20 for pistol, mossberg 590a1 for shotgun
>>
>>7650>>767518
Don't fuck with it if it crosses your path. Shit is the white man's crack cocaine. One time and you can be hooked...you will lose everything. It truly is the downward spiral
>>
>>778023

>Except your large amounts of niggers everywhere

Niggers don't go everywhere and are highly concentrated in places you never want to go. in fact Niggers don't go \out\ to national parks because whitey don't let them or some such nigger babble according to our rapist chief
>>
>>778543
Or glock 40 for dat barrel length
>>
>>778027
And don't forget the new wave of junkies
>>
File: askingforit.png (159KB, 564x274px) Image search: [Google]
askingforit.png
159KB, 564x274px
>>766149
/k/ here, glock 20 best for stopping bear rape
>>
>>778002
I didn't know this was even a thing, fucking cool. I wish i could help, I too am really interested in some input.
>>
>>767174
They are not necessarily in great numbers, but rapid movement, wide territories and little sleep gives the impression of a larger than actual population.
>>
>>766440
>.45 ACP might be adequate for black bears
I really doubt it. I'd not want anything less than .357mag
>>
>>766158
Can't bear spray a pack of coyotes/wolves. Enough coyotes and they get pretty ballsy. Trust me, was basically surrounded by what seemed like 20 of them grabbing at shit on my campground. Eventually one even ran up and tried to nip me. That shit is scary, 40 pound dog or not, enough of them will fuck your day up.
>>
>>766158
Let's say I'm planning a backpacking trip through multiple states. Would I need any special permits in case Johnny Law asks about my sidearm?
>>
>>766440
I think Alaska officials suggest a 44 magnum or a 300 win mag.
>>
>>779860
There's a video of a dude dropping a large moose with a .40 in like 5 shots.
>>
>>779895
Alaska DNR advises bear spray, and not being fucking stupid. For all the 'what gun to carry against animals' threads on here you'd think attacks are common, but despite obvious stupidity practiced by many they are incredibly rare. Many of us Alaskans /out/ right in the middle of the highest population density of bears in the world and we almost never have any conflict with them. What conflict there is is usually resolved without violence.

So carry bear spray, hang your food away from camp, carry it in a bear can or bear bag with liner, make noise while hiking, and don't fuck with bears when you see them.

No one asking what gun to use against bears can shoot well enough to reliably perform in a bear fight. If you are a grown man and haven't yet practiced, it isn't like you'll suddenly start over the remote possibility of being attacked by a bear.

People here need to grow up and get /out/ more.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.