[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 65

File: image.jpg (109KB, 512x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 512x720px
#24- ">tfw no qt grill outfishing me" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>728118

I don't want to go back to work tomorrow. Might try and get an hour or two in at the lake this afternoon before I have to do laundry and get some sleep. Oh well.

Talk about fishin'
>>
>I saw someone say they use a mepps for bluefish.
What kind of mepps should i get for bluefish or seabass.
Naturally, it would have to weigh some.
(I would like it to be a mepps since i usually stick to names like rapalas etc)

http://www.skorpion-dnc.hr/brandovi/mepps?___store=engleski&___from_store=ruski&limit=all

http://www.lureshop.eu/mepps.html#!___SID=U&limit=all
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 560x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 560x396px
>>730090
Look for the saltwater Gulp in the blue packages. They have these bright yellow curly tail mullets that you can get in I think 3", 4", and 5" and I use them for bass with a lot of success.
>>
posting again, What lures are a MUST HAVE in your tackle box?
>>
>>730091
How big are you trying to go? The problem is they aren't that heavy. I think #5's are only 1/2oz (14g) and the Marabou Musky Killers are like 30g. Maybe the Black Fury ones if you are going at night for the bass, those are night lures.

Otherwise see if you can get some of those Northland lures that Mainebub was looking at. Not sure if you can find them in Tunisia or wherever you live, but they are a respectable company.
>>
>>730091
that was me il post a pic in a bit, eating rn
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>730095
I think you should grab a Rapala or two like Yuro said. The Originals are floating and will only dive a foot or two down if you retrieve them slow and Husky Jerks and X-Raps are suspending and don't run very deep either.

Those Blue Fox Vibrax lures have been treating me well in situations where I want a lot of noise and vibration.
>>
>>730104
i hae a altoids tin full of rapalas, jointed and not
>>
>>730098
Think between your xrap and my xrap.
But weight must easily be above 20gr at the lightest.

>>730100
Sweet.
If it had some scale to it thatd be great. Or name the exact model and size with the pic.
Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730108
That's not nearly enough!
>>
>>730110
il put a ruler next to it , i think it has cm on it >>730111
woldnt ever use all of that
>>
>>730111
Fuck peps... Thats enough to eb set fo rlife... unles you snag them as much as i do.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730112
>>730122
I have so many in the sizes that I use a lot. I wonder what will come with the April MTB Pro box. Hopefully I get a couple nice cranks like the last Pro box
>>
File: IMG_20160403_143326874.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160403_143326874.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>730110
To the right of the ruler
Mepp aglia 3
Aglia 2 long ( I prefer this )
(Both only about 8 cm)
And to the left of the ruler
Some glitzit spinner
Some old ass spoon (that works v well for bluefish)
Popper
Topwater buzzer
Buzbait (curly tail on it usually)
And bucktails
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730135
>>730110
Agila #3 is only 1/4oz (7g) tho

>>730122
How about rattlers?
>>
>>730135
How much does the aglia and aglia long weigh?
I was really thinking about spinners in saltwater the last few days and why noone is using them, then you came by. Fuckin sweet.

How does the third one frim the left work tho? I guess the metal thing spins or just flickers and then the fish take the hooked one?

>>730134
Cant say i aint jelly.
Ill probably only catch up to you if i finish school and get an engineers pay.... (One can dream)
>>
>>730137
Want to get some of those too.
What do you recommend?
>>
>>730137
They're light but I tend to fish light , flicking it out with a 7 ft medium rod with a soft tip,
If I need more distance il add a few split shots a foot (or 6 inches)/up from the spinner
>>730140
I don't have a scale Pepsi says 7g on the 3 the 2 long feels almost the same to me

It's a buzzbait, it spins around and makes alot of noise/moves alot of water
I usually add soft plastic trailer to it
It also works really well as a top water lure bubbiking and rattiling
Some have skirts on them like jigs do but I prefer without
>>
>>730140
Here's the Agila sizing
#1- 1/8oz
#2- 1/6oz
#3- 1/4oz
#4- 1/3oz
#5- 1/2oz

At least I think that's correct. And the Agila Longs are slightly larger I believe so a #3 Agila Long probably weighs closer to a #4 Agila

>>730141
Let me circle a couple in another pic. There are these certain Rapalas I really like, but I'm not sure how large they make them. A lot of those bigger ones are Strike King Red Eye Shads and they are heavier, like 3/4oz+ and have really nice action.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730141
So in this pic, the two on the left are the Strike Kings. I think 3/4oz, but not positive. They have a really agressive action and it's funny because I always get bluegill and cichlids going after them even though they are way too large.

The other 4 are all Rapalas. I really like the 2 on the right just because of how they swim but it is kinda hard to find a good selection of them.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730140
Size reference for Agilas. The big minnow one is a Comet 5. I need to grab a couple Agila 5's but largest I normally go is #4 since they seem to work well for any size of largemouth.
>>
>>730143
Ill have to google the soft tail rig.

>>730145
>>730146
>>730155
You are a gem peps.

How you fish those rattlers?
And what is the one spinner with the fish in the back?

What are your must get spinners? (I assume aglias kek)
Ill just try and get that in a larger size.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730167
The rattlers sink, so just a steady retrieve as fast as you want depending on the depth. They normally wobble and rattle so much that you don't need to do much else with them.

And I always have good luck with the natural brown tail and a gold blade, but that is freshwater so idk. I had one with a brown skirt and chartruese blade and liked that but snagged it. Maybe one day I will try to find more online.

When I want something a little brighter, yellow skirt with the firetiger blade is nice or even the silver blade. Otherwise lots of people like the white skirt with the silver blade, they normally sell those everywhere.

The one with the fish is a Mepps Comet. I have a couple but don't use them a ton. My main problem is the fish tends to spin a little. I would rather try and get inlines with a single hook and put a trailer on there.
>>
>>730174
Single hooks on spinners?
This is a whole new worl to me so pardon my lack of knowledge.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730197
The Blue Fox ones actually come with a single hook on the side, but it looks like you have to cut off the treble hook first and then put the regular hook on. I'm still debating modifying a couple.
>>
>>730201
I see.
What bluefoxes would you recommend?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730231
Idk, depends on what colors you like. I'm not sure how large they go though.
Flukebuster is the one who is in love with them. I just bought my first ones last week and have only really used the one with the silver blade and bright yellow weight/bead.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>730231
And you could probably replace the hook on Mepps as well. You just have to look for hooks like pic related. Use some wire cutters or whatever to snip the treble hook off, put these hooks on, and close the little gap. Then you can run trailers or whatever a little easier.
>>
Went up north a bit to a good cold-water pond.

Caught a bunch of nice brookies. Video to follow. Needless to say having a blast fishing inline spinners on UL
>>
I didn't want to start a new thread, I have a question...
How can one stealth-fish, without a licence in Europe? I plan to go to a bike trip and fish along the way, but can't get a licence.
Any tips?
>>
$15 for everything in pic related
2 frogs
Shallow diver
Suspending minnow
Lipless crankbait
>>
File: IMG_20160403_170328937_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160403_170328937_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>730265
And it won't let me post pic
>>
>>730271
You went to Dick's I see...

They have had those Johnson's lures in the blue packages on sale (5 for $10) for a bit and I thought about grabbing some of the spinners just to lose in lakes with lots of snags. And some of those Matzuo cranks look decent for the $3 price tag or whatever but I always pass.

I do have one or two of the cheaper Bass Pro brand Rapala type cranks and they seem to work decent. I have thes gold ones, a small one and a larger one, and I use them a bit in new lakes where I'm not sure of snags and I have had decent luck with them.
>>
>>730271
That gold Voltage and silver Matzuo look decent btw. Would definitely toss them out for some bass. I still never have luck with frogs though.
>>
>>730255
gotta say, fishing with braid in sub freezing windy conditions is not as good as mono.

my braid was constantly freezing and tangled about 5 times. Totally regretted not bringing my spool of mono.
>>
>>730288
jawbone, not Johnson, , the frogs are actually REALLY nice for $3, as is the lipless craknbait i got , matzuo crank is pretty nice but the suspending minnow isnt as great as it looked in package i desperately needed frogs so this worked well, i almost got the spinners for 5/10 but i realy dont need 5 more spinners ( i dont use them alot because of snags, ) then i was going to ask if i could get 2 jigs and 3 spinners for 10 ( mix and match ) but i didnt, i would definatley buy the frogs again as i would the voltage , ( really impressed with he quality on it and the frogs,) the matzuo stuff while it isnt shitty its nothing outsanding
>>
>>730296
Glad I live in FL. I could see how that would be a pain though.

>>730301
Jawbone? My bad, thought they said Johnson. Didn't they have cranks too? Shoulda gotten on the 5 for $10. I guess it would only save $2 on what you bought anyway.

You go to Bass Pro ever? It's worth checking out their XPS stuff. The cranks, inline spinners, even their soft plastics all seem decent enough. I haven't bought any of their inlines but the few cranks and rattlers I have aren't bad and I bought a pack of paddle tail flukes labeled as their "Tournament" stuff and they seem ok. Sometimes they just have a color combo I really like and can't pass em up when they are cheap like that.
>>
>>730304
yeah but none of their shit was marked deep vs shallow diving and most looked like deep divers and alot of the places i fish are shallow as fuck and weedy so that puts that out of the question i have some bass oro shit but not alot , it was a gift since the nearest bass pro is 45 min from me
>>
>>730306
The bass pro stuff isn't marked?

Oh well, you can normally tell by looking at it. If they look like a Rapala, they are normally floaters that dive shallow.

Bass Pro is still GOAT but hard to get out of there without spending a ton. I just stop by Dick's if I'm lookin for a few small things. But I'm picky so sometimes I have to go to Bass Pro to find a specific color combo on something. Or like those Blue Foxes, I had to drive to the further Bass Pro just to find them.
>>
>>730311
no the jawbone cranks weren't markedshallow vs dark seriously though pepsi the jawbone frogs are worth it for 3 dollaroos as is the voltgage crank,
>>
>posting a qt with rockfish instead of the roastie in OP
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 236x322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 236x322px
>>730342
2manyclothes
>>
>>730342

>rockfish

u wot
>>
>>730357
That's what they call striper where there aren't real rockfish.
>>
File: babybrookie.png (1MB, 881x651px) Image search: [Google]
babybrookie.png
1MB, 881x651px
>>730357
yeah it's normal name
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
Here's all my lures currently. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of adding a couple of crankbaits
>>
>>730374
U got it pretty well covered. Do you do salt or fresh more often? If you are doing freshwater for bass and stuff, I would just say maybe a traditional spinnerbait or two, a bigger Rapala, and maybe some other topwater like frogs or Skitter Walks/Pops.
>>
>>730263
The same way the Scottish do; with some fishing line wound around a carved dowel.

http://www.a-finlay-primitive-crafts.co.uk/hobo.html
>>
File: IMAG0629.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0629.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
If you fishbros were a 2lb spring bass in a weedy New England pond or a brushy lake would any of these look delicious? Could I fish pickerel or perch? I have more, anything I'm missing?
>>
>>730384
Can't go wrong with the spinnerbait in the late afternoon if the weeds aren't too bad. Otherwise that big soft crawdad deal on the bottom right through the weeds but I suck at fishing soft baits liike that.
>>
>>730384
Senko-type worms deliver better than anything else in my weedy New England pond.
>>
>>730388
seconded, the onl thing that has outfished senkos in my weedy new england pond is other baby bass 3-6 inches, then senkos in second probabl tied with super fluke jrs
>>
>>730374
Don't chase anything too big on those Powerbait Shads in the middle, the hook on them is weak as fuck. Lost four good fish last season on them due to the hooks bending out. I'll never use them again.
>>
>>730371
I think I figured out what you were on about
>Nail knot doing main to 20 pound high vis mono
>3-5 inches later, loop
>>
>>730384
small metal fish 4th from the top on the left side would be the only thing you need.

>>730397
exactly.
>>
>>730095
Floating Rapala, at least in silver/black and gold/black. A Rebel Minnow or Bomber Long A works well too.
Rat-L-Trap or clone thereof, in chrome/black back or chrome/blue back
Spinnerbait in white
Plastic worms in June Bug, Watermelon Red flake and/or plain purple
Some sort of topwater lure like a Zara Spook, Rebel Pop-R, Hula Popper or Jitterbug.
Suspending crankbait like a Rapala Husky Jerk or Smithwick Suspending Rogue
Diving crankbait like a Bomber Model A, Rapala Shad Rap or any number of other models.
Inline spinner like a Mepps Aglia, Worden's Rooster Tail, or any number of clones thereof.
Spoons like an Eppinger Dardevle, Acme Kastmaster or Little Cleo, Luhr-Jensen Krocodile, Johnson Silver Minnow or Sprite, Hopkins spoon, or one of literally dozens of clones of any of them.
And of course the jighead lures, of which there are hundreds and you can take your pick.
Or, you know, you could take a bobber, sinker and live bait like shad or shiners, and promptly outfish all of that shit combined.
>>
>>730395
That's crazy. I've never had a problem with them. But I haven't hooked anything beyond 3lb-4lb largemout at the biggest on the 3" or 4" ones.

What were you fishing for that was breaking em off? I would be pissed if I missed out on something great because a hook failed.
>>
>>730140
>How does the third one frim the left work tho?
It's a buzz bait, sometimes called a propellor bait. It's like a traditional spinnerbait except it has a propellor where the spinning spoons are. Reel it in fast enough and it runs on top of the water, making a lot of noise and causing reaction strikes from pissed off bass. Reel it in slowly and it flashes like a regular spinner bait.
They're supposed to have some sort of skirt on them like a spinnerbait, but Pepsi's doesn't right now for whatever reason.
>>
>>730424
That one wasn't mine. Looks like there is a little spring or something attaching the buzzer deal to the rest of the bait. Never seen that.

Lots of places sell spinners without skirts, maybe it's the same with buzzbaits. I thought about grabbing one or two of those spinners with no skirts from Dick's and run trailers on it so it's basically a larger beetle spin that will work better.
>>
>>730414
I was chasing mangrove jack (I think similar to the mangrove snapper you have in America) on them, as well as jewfish (similar to drum I think). Both are pretty hard fighters but I've never had the hooks bend out on any other pre-rigged soft plastic.
>>
>>730399
What do I do now ?
>>
>>730427
No mine had a skirt but after years of use it was looking shitty and when fishing areas with certain types of weeds it would get really gunked up
So I removed it and it works just as well if not better ( with a soft plastic trailer
>>
File: mainebrookcheese.png (3MB, 1477x827px) Image search: [Google]
mainebrookcheese.png
3MB, 1477x827px
>>730442
then use a pre-looped tapered leader for nymphing, or use a 4 foot section of lighter mono with perfection loop and connect that to your high vis loop. attach streamer to the end of your 4 foot section of mono.
>>
>>730414
I lost a 4+pound brown (most trout here are a pound)
Due to a hook bending, that being said it was a very small hook 1/64th oz jighead
And I was fighting a decent fish downstream in moderate current
>>
>>730374
Need a couple football jigs, also more spinners. Who makes those salimanders?
>>
>>730447
What I've been doing is tying 15 pond test line to 6 pound, then either staying there or going to either 4 or 2 pound test depending on my mood and calling it a leader because I'm poor and I can make a fuck ton of leaders that way for the cost of just buying a few. Though I only use 2 pound for flies and I'm nervous to go casting up on trees with 2 pound test.
>>
>>730384
Nh fag here. The brown and black jointed rapala is goat for me here
>>
>>730450
That's reasonable at least
>>
>>730454
Lots of places.
Zoom is one of them; I'm sure there are others.
>>
>>730455
>What I've been doing is tying 15 pond test line to 6 pound, then either staying there or going to either 4 or 2 pound test depending on my mood and calling it a leader because I'm poor and I can make a fuck ton of leaders that way for the cost of just buying a few. Though I only use 2 pound for flies and I'm nervous to go casting up on trees with 2 pound test.

That is exactly what you should be doing. Not only is it cost effective, but it allows you to experiment with custom tapers. I only buy tapered leaders because I'm lazy, hell I rarely taper when using a streamer.
>>
>>730458
Yeah though I've caught bass 5+ lbs on them (though it's usually catching a 4 inch bass then letting the 5 pounder eat the 4 incher
>>
>>730461
I figure it's worth while because it takes all of 5 minutes to make and about a minute to fix if a section gets damaged. I've been mostly using 6-9 foot leaders because that's what felt right.
So do you think I should risk flies more and run 2 pound for crappie on trees or risk fish getting line shy and run 4?
>>
>>730460
I know, I normally use zooms, I was wondering what brand. They look more lifelike than zooms to me
>>
>>730461
Oh I just thought. You know what would be hella fun?
On the outer banks of nc in mid August, get out with a fly rod on a kayak right off the beach, and get those eating size 12-20 inch blues on streamers
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 570x758px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 570x758px
>>730454
I have a question about dem football jigs since I have been trying to get into that more.

When would you guys use a jig versus just Texas rigging a soft bait? Assuming I would use a trailer with the jig. Also do people fish jigs without trailers a lot?
>>
File: 2016-04-03_20.43.44.jpg (2MB, 1678x2982px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-03_20.43.44.jpg
2MB, 1678x2982px
Big bass earlier this week
>>
>>730477
Has some noice color too. What did you catch it on?
>>
>>730477
4-5 lbs?
>>
>>730468
I think you'll be fine with a 2lbs taper.

also each type of mono you get should show a diameter measurement, use that instead of line rating. This is what I base my section mono selections on when building leaders.
>>
>>730477
>>730479
Nvm, just saw those Culprit curly tail worms. Just a Texas rig? Weedless?
>>
>>730477
epic fish!

>>730482
namefag inception. sorry.
>>
>>730475
Early spring is best for jigging where I'm at. I slam them into thick cover, let them fall, give a few twitches then pull out and throw them in again. I always use trailers. Plastics bacon or pork rinds work well.
>>
>>730481
Aye. I probably should have said "this is this diameter, then this is this diameter" instead of "this 15 is pretty cheap, then that six is a good price, that's the only 2, and this 4 seems reasonable
My 2 is .006 inches thick
>>
>>730482
Yeah

>>730480
>>
>>730483
Oh for my number 10 and 8 wooly buggers muddler Minnows and grey ghosts would a 5-6 wt sink tip line or 8wt floating line with a longer tippet be better for Stillwater crappie
>>
>>730491
Anything over about a 2wt is overkill for crappie, m8.
>>
>>730494
I'm too poor to buy anything more than what I found in my dad's shed
>>
>>730497
Then the lightest you have.
>>
>>730494
I mean a 7 foot medium action rod with 8 pound test on it as also overkill for crappie, But that's what I used for years before buying an ultralight, and what a whole fuck ton of people have as their only combo even though they never target anything over 3 pounds
>>
>>730498
Okay 5 or 6 wt (not really sure which) sink tip
>>
>>730491
5/6

>>730498
lightest isn't always the best.

pair a 2wt line with a 6wt rod and it won't cast very well, visa versa. Stick with the closest weight for your rod, presentation mostly depends on leader selection. Sinking running line will be best overall for the type of fishing you plan on doing.
>>
>>730507
If I'm grooving on fly fishing next year think I should invest in something like a 2 or 3wt combo?
>>
File: bfydpyjmlc91lign4d9z.jpg (30KB, 680x512px) Image search: [Google]
bfydpyjmlc91lign4d9z.jpg
30KB, 680x512px
>tfw nothing in season in the river I fish in besides panfish

hold me until may lads
>>
>>730521
go out, see how many you can catch in an hour ,
>>
>>730521

How do fishing wardens know you're not fishing for panfish?

What happens if you're targetting panfish but something else takes the bait?
>>
>>730528

i dunno honestly

here in ontario 'catching' a fish counts as taking it out of the water and not throwing it back immediately

im guessing if they see you have a bass on you out of season or you're sitting there for 10 minutes trying to wriggle the hook out of its mouth they're going to fuck your day up
>>
>>730528
>>730521
I was always under the impression that "Seasons" means the time when you can keep the fish. At least in most places. If you are releasing them anyway, it shouldn't matter if you are targeting them or even get one while fishing for something else.
>>
>>730532

makes sense. im not really too sure about most of the guidelines, still reading the pdf about it all, i only bought my license yesterday.
>>
>>730507
I said "2wt". Not "2wt line".
>>
File: deepandcold.png (4MB, 1893x1065px) Image search: [Google]
deepandcold.png
4MB, 1893x1065px
>>730517
for small panfish yes.

New video from today, nothing too special. Couple fish with a buddy of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCpZrr7ESI

>>730532
no no no, an open season means you can wet a line. regardless if you are C&R.

>>730546
apologies, misread the conversation.
>>
>>730548

wetting a line?
>>
>>730549
yeah like if it isn't open season you literally cannot fish.
>>
>>730557
>>730549
That sucks. I was trying to look into FL laws a lil but the website sucks. Looks like the only seasons are on saltwater fish. But it doesn't mean you can't fish saltwater at all. Just not supposed to be harvesting.

I would read into local laws anyway. That shit varies a lot from state to state.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-03+at+10.14.19).png (105KB, 1039x592px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-03+at+10.14.19).png
105KB, 1039x592px
>>730557

ah, it's different here though since seasons are specific to species
>>
>>730558
>That shit varies a lot from state to state.
yes it does
>>730559
yeah I've heard of those types of seasons vaguely, never fished anywhere with season varied by species.
>>
>>730559
This is where some of Mainebub's rules don't make sense. If you're fishing for northern pike on March 15 and hook a walleye, you will be fine if you release it. I'm pretty sure that's what the seasons are meant for in that instance so you aren't keeping pregnant females and shit.
>>
>>730562
Do they really have a closed bluegill season? I would be out whenever I want and if I catch a trout out of season and something were to happen, I wouldn't keep it out of season in the first place and if the law really means you can't catch them and release, I would claim I was just going for bluegill or crappie.
>>
>>730563
yeah, it's a regional thing though we usually have bodies of water dominated by specific species.

I like it my state, seasons are dictated from body of water to body of water as opposed from species to species. The only time I get nervous about hooking a species that isn't supposed to be targeted is sturgeons, and sharks out of shark season.

>>730565
we don't have seasons based on species, but the specific body of water you are fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (278KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
278KB, 640x1136px
>>730567
It's not quite as bad as you make it seem. I'm guessing a lot of the river rules are just to keep people from killing themselves on the ice.

I'm sure it's not nearly as bad most other places in the US. The salmon and trout are the one thing that keeps it complicated. Anywhere else the seasons are basically just for keeping fish.
>>
>Seasons

Thank god I've never had to deal with that stupid bullshit.
>>
>>730573
>that stupid bullshit.

there are good reasons for regulating seasons.

>>730571
I think my state does it well; We have an excellent IFW Administration. I was relieved they opened the season early this year.
>>
>>730578
It's not so confusing as I thought it was before I read the website though. And I'm guessing lots of streams that are closed for the winter aren't really good for bass fishing or stuff besides the salmon and trout anyway.

But the "closed" as in "no line in the water" like you were saying only makes sense if you add that Maine fishing seasons are dependent on the body of water. Not like other places where "closed" means you can't keep that species of fish. Might want to add that before you tell anon in Kansas that he will get a fine for fishing in a lake that has largemouth even though it is outside of largemouth season. Just means he can't keep em.
>>
>>730578
What would you recommend uses for different weights?
>6 wt
>8 wt
>10 wt
>12 wt
>14 wt
Just because all I know is 2 and 3 wt translates roughly to ultra light. Is line weight in reference more to how big/heavy of a fly you can cast or how big of a fish you're targeting?
>>
>>730583
no idea

>>730582
I don't really know the larger weights. Biggest I've used is an 8wt
>>
File: 20160402.jpg (963KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160402.jpg
963KB, 1280x720px
>>730475
Damn do I ever love a football jig. I fought a three-pounder out of the junk pond the other day on a brown/reflective-purple football jig with a PB&J crawfish trailer. Probably my favorite combo. I fish jigs year round but they've been most effective to me as a cold/cooler water lure when fished slowly. Texas Rigging I also use year round but almost exclusively with worms and preferably in warmer weather, but not for any logical reason.

I do take into consideration where I'm fishing (active species, structure, and such). I wouldn't cast a Texas Rigged worm into a lily pad field if I knew something like bluegill, rock bass or the sort were really active. They tend to short-strike/tail-tug soft plastics which can expose the hook and set up snags. Nothing worse than finding a prime spot, having some ankle biter nip your worm on the first cast, and then you're snagged on a pad stalk. If you're on a boat then you're motoring into that spot to get undone and potentially spooking the fish you should have been catching. If you're fishing from shore odds are you just lost a plastic, hook, weight and some length of line. A jig with a good brush guard will rarely produce the same problem.

Pic unrelated. That one was caught on a Strike King 2.5 Squarebill w/ rattle.
>>
>>730591
For sure. I just need to figure out a good way to hit the peacock bass as well as largemouth from shore in hot summer water. Spinners and cranks kill it during the winter when the water is a little cooler but the big largemouth just don't go for them (at least near the shore) when it is high 80s and sunny every day.
>>
>>730593
catch a small bass, throw it on a circle hoomk and throw it deep , have fun with 5 lbs or more
>>
>>730591
Nice fish. What jig brands do you like? I want to start up a quality jig box.
>>
>>730587
I think you mixed up the replies?
>>
>>730598
yes i did haha.

>>730591
that fish is a beaut
>>
>>730593
Summer down there is probably closer to winter up here (or even summer up here, which can get pretty sweltering). Too hot or too cold and bass can get sluggish. In the cold I imagine it's a metabolism thing. They fatten up before the cold hits and when it does I've heard largemouth might eat only once a week. It's pretty daunting to think you've only got a 1-in-7 chance that any fish you come across is actually hungry. In the summer dawn and dusk are the big feeding times because the fish have some sunlight to hunt visually, there are plenty of insects, frogs and such, and the water isn't baking in that mid-day sun. By mid day if you want to catch fish you have to really work for it. Targeting places where they can keep cool seems to work best for me. Large mats of pads and other vegetation, shaded shorelines, deep holes. Anywhere the water is going to be cooler and protected from harsh sun.

Getting them to bite will still take that same slow winter-style retrieve. Spinnerbaits can be slow-rolled for deeper and slower presentation which should keep them in the strike zone longer. If those still seem too fast texas rigged worms or football jigs are my next option, or weedless grubs if I want to throw a smaller lure. Frogs can be really effective in the summer. Popper frogs are nice but sometimes too noisy. With practice you can practically walk-the-dog in place with a regular hollow-body frog. You get a lot of action with very little retrieve so the fish doesn't have to travel that far to strike if it decides it wants to.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>730596
Damn, they really hit baby bass that hard? I would feel bad doing that. I would much rather huck a bluegill out there or just find a way to get them on lures.

>>730597
They're all so damn similar and you will probably lose them soon anyway. Just grab some good colors and weights. Also there are swim jigs, brush jigs, I don't get it besides brush jigs are normally heavy and fat.

I grabbed some smaller ones and I want to try and hit hungry 12"-14" bass with them just so I know they work.
>>
>>730605
i have one ( well had) ive pulled 20 bass over 5 lbs out of it and probabl 14 of those were on baby bass,
>>
>>730599
Are there any big rivers by you that are open year round? Like deep, wide rivers where you could ice fish and have more luck for walleye and pike instead of trout. Just curious about how much of those rules are about keeping people off the ice vs protecting the spawning fish.
>>
>>730605
Mkay, I better just grab the basic colors and sizes and get good with them.
>>
>>730612
Only thing I ever hear about colors is natural is the way to go unless you are fishing really dark and murky water. Black is good for the dark and murky. Everybody around here seems to like the watermelon sparkled stuff for jigs and trailers.
>>
>>730604
>Getting them to bite will still take that same slow winter-style retrieve.
*The retrieve I need in the winter up there that is. Your winter fishing is probably more akin to my spring/fall fishing (my favorite seasons).

>>730597
I started jig fishing maybe two-going-on-three years ago (around the same time I got heavy into baitcasters) so I haven't sampled everything but I've been fishing Booyah Pigskin and Bass Pro Shops Enticer Pro football jigs mostly. I did order some football and swim jigs from Bayou Bug Jigs a while back and they seem fantastic so I'll probably be getting some more from them soon. They're associated with Creme in some way and I've always been a fan of Creme so I figured I'd check them out too. Not disappointed at all.

For trailers I've been using Netbait Paca Chunk trailers almost exclusively on football jigs though I have had luck with Strike King's "Rage Chunk" trailers (pricey, coffee scent smells good, have caught nice bass on them). For swim jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits I usually use Zoom spinnerbait trailers but I've picked up some Arkie twin-tail trailers and some Keitech swimbaits I plan to try out soon.
>>
>>730616
Ugh, at least I'm set on trailers for awhile. I bought so many jigs and packs of soft plastics when you niggas enlightened me on jigs a few months ago. Still haven't had tons of luck with them. A few hits but no fish and a lot of frustration when I snag them. I need to get out there with a couple 30lb setups and go for it.
>>
>>730599
I need to find a local fly fisherman to pick his brain. The problem is the only trout native to Ohio is only barely in Ohio and lives in the northeasternly most corner and so barely in there that it could barely be called ohio any more and trout are the biggest fly species. Steelhead are stocked in a few places but I've never seen any one use anything but little Cleo spoons and miny foo jigs for them.
>>
File: 20140702_192017 (1).jpg (313KB, 640x678px) Image search: [Google]
20140702_192017 (1).jpg
313KB, 640x678px
Anyone else ever catch bat rays? Used to see them as pests when I was sturgeon fishing but since I can catch them from my dock (not rich have a shitty studio on the water) they are my main fish along with leopard sharks. Using squid as bait on a tuna rod with 50lb test and a braided leader.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Sorry I'm a noob at fishing. What did I catch? Roomate says pike but it's got no teeth.
>>
>>730625
Where are you on this world?
>>
>>730231

#2 and #3 will cover everything just about. #4 if you wanna target large bass in deep lakes. Gold is my favorite, works best on overcast days and at night. Silver during sunny days. I would get a dressed treble if you can.

>>730240

Cut off the old hook, add a split ring, and then use a closed eye single hook. You hook one of those florida beasts, i wouldnt trust that hook to not bend out.

Regardless, i cut the bluefox trebles off, add the split ring, and then a lazer sharp treble. Seems to result in better hook ups and less misses. Plus it makes the hook easier to change out when its rusted.

I also recommend a snap swivel. Helps the lure spin and is less prone to twisting your line. Allows quick changes too. Use a quality one like a spro or tsunami, and always with a round bend, not an angle.
>>
>>730625
"Pike Minnow"/"Colorado Squawfish" maybe?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>730628
Putah creek south of Davis California. I caught 3 of them, biggest was probably 22in give or take.
>>
>>730631
Sacramento Pikeminnow is my updated guess.
>>
>>730630
I think it's a California pikeminnow/squaw fish
>>
>>730630
Yup that's it. Thanks!
>>
/out/ lure/tackle exchange? Anyone up for it?
>>
>>730653
i might be
>>
>>730653
Most of my shit is pretty well worthless
>>
>>730624
Nice, what part of CA? I haven't got a bat ray yet, but I hope to this spring sometime.
>>
>>730631
No way, I was just there on Monday. Further west I think. Didn't realise there were pikeminnow that big in there.
>>
>>730475
Now were talkin.

>>730653
Too far in dis worl to do it

>>730629
Thanks senpai.
Actually looking to get me some bluefish in the salty seas
>>
Any Long Island fags on here? I'm trapped in Nassau county for a while and don't know if there's any good freshwater spots.
>>
>>730578
>there are good reasons for regulating seasons.
Not where I live.
>>
>>730583
>>6 wt
Trout and pretty much anything the same size or smaller
>>8 wt
Salmon, pike, bonefish and big bass
>>10 wt
King salmon, muskie, tarpon and other saltwater species
>>12 wt
Bigger saltwater species
>>14 wt
Really goddamn big saltwater species, especially billfish and tuna.

It bears mentioning that saltwater fly fishing pretty much anywhere except the flats is barely even fly fishing, though.
>>
Worst reel brands? I think quantum is high up there
>>
>>730852
I used to really like quantum, and still use some of my older spinning reels made by them. However my pops picked up a newer Nitrous a while back and had to return it. The line roller was actually two separate halves and the line had a habit of getting cinched between them and snapping on casts. If any piece of equipment costs me tackle through anything other than my own negligence it's getting returned or junked.
>>
>>730852
High end Quantim is supposed to be good but lots of people have issues with their mid and low range reels.
>>
>>730761
>It bears mentioning that saltwater fly fishing pretty much anywhere except the flats is barely even fly fishing, though.

Why?
>>
File: cherokee6-3.jpg (8KB, 312x161px) Image search: [Google]
cherokee6-3.jpg
8KB, 312x161px
>>730869
He's talking about the guys who get a school of whatever pelagic fish and just huck flies at them from like 10 yards lol.

The flats stuff and the mangrove stuff is fly fishing though, just like he said.
>>
File: DSC_03291.jpg (1MB, 1620x2880px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_03291.jpg
1MB, 1620x2880px
Anyone else fly fish for pike?
>>
>>730761
So then does weight refer more to the size lure you can heave, or the size fish you're targeting? Like let's say large mouth bass in the 3-4 pound range are hitting on pike and musky size flies, for whatever reason.
>>
>>730890
never tried it, but those are the same patterns I use for striper

>>730883
>>730869
>>730761
>It bears mentioning that saltwater fly fishing pretty much anywhere except the flats is barely even fly fishing, though.

guess this nigga never fished for striper or any northern salt species with a fly.

It isn't "find the bait ball and cast 10 yars"
it's more like find the underwater structure and attempt to cast 100 yards.
>>
File: 1451952194163.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1451952194163.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>730912
From south Florida, so guilty as charged. Sue me you bastard.
>>
>>730094
I've always been a hard lure guy, do you guys use any kind of rigging with these for trolling? Thanks
>>
>>730912
How big a fish do you figure I could handle on a 7 wt if I put a better/bigger reel on it with the closer line rating?
>>
>>730700

Suffolk County fag here. Plenty of good freshwater spots on the island. Check oit whichever is closest.

Http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7951.html
>>
>>730912
I mean my "8 wt" is a 7 wt but I couldnt find 7wt line so I tried 6 and 8 wt line and it liked 8 better.
>>
>>730923
haha just busting balls

I would love to try flats fly fishing, it seems very nice. I'd expect on opposite ends of the coast the definition would vary slightly.

>>730930
never heard of a 7wt.

You're reeel doesn't really matter, until you start getting into targeting huge salt game, most fish you will hand retrieve, stripping line into your basket or onto the ground. only reeling to store line. I try not to retrieve with my reel, I prefer braking the line with my hand.

A big fish on light tackle all depends on the patience of the fisherman, and his knowledge. Knowing when you let the fish run vs reeling the fish in is the art. I've seen guys fight HUGE fish on small rods. It took forever and was tiring but they were able to do it. Don't limit yourself really to the fish you are targeting, most rigs can handle bigger fish with some tender love and respect while retrieving.
>>
>>730761
So what's up with 7 weight? Is that like "you can pull it back for trout and things, but you can push it up to the things you might do on an 8wt like steelheading or big bass, maybe smaller pike?"
>>
>>730937
I'm a Florida brat who barely ever fished salt growing up, was always inland hunting/fishing much more.

I'm up in Tampa for college now and I'm starting to figure it out myself, so to answer your question, yes flats fishing is fucking fun, although I'm only spinning for now.
>>
>>730937
Well my biggest pike of 38 inches was gotten on 6 pound test with no leader, and bringing in rays 4-5 feet wide on 15-20 pound line learned me how to finesse fish. Especially when you're 50 feet up trying to keep the thing out of pilings over a 500+ foot walk up a pier.
>>
File: 20160404_121829.jpg (782KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160404_121829.jpg
782KB, 2048x1350px
>>730937
It's hard to read but it says "line size 7"
>>
>>730947
oh im sure 7wts exist, just never seen or heard of anyone using one.
>>
>>730528
You're required by law to throw it back.

You can't control what bites yor line, but you CAN control what you keep and take home, so that's what the law regulates.
>>
>>730939
I use my 6/7wt for seatrout and perch in the baltic and maybe smaller pike but it's not really fun to cast larger than size #1 streamers with a 7wt setup.
>>
What do you guys think of the Shimano Fx? I've had one on my ugly stick for two years now after my Pfleuger failed me and I'm surprised at how well it's worked for me.

I'm thinking about upgrading soon though. What's are some good middle of the road spinning reels for bass and pike?
>>
>>730583
Your answer is here skid:
http://www.scientificanglers.com/putting-together-balanced-fly-fishing-system/

It's not a bunch of hard and fast rules-you can go heavier or lighter to suit your taste and needs-but it will give you a feel for what gets used for what.
>>
>>730593
The water down there is already so warm, I'd imagine that the bass are starting to retreat into colder or shadier parts of the lake.
Either that or they're starting to spawn already and have started digging or their beds.
>>
>>730939
7wt's getting a little too big for all but the biggest bass and trout, but on the verge of too small for really hard fighting stuff like salmon and steelhead.
>>
>>730966
To add on, given where you are, it's probably perfect for pike.
>>
Looking for a new freshwater spinning reel. $150 limit, what do?
>>
What are the basics of fly fishing?
>>
>>730966
So is 7 weight kinda worthless unless you Only have one rod to do -everything- from bluegill to pike? Kinda like the 6'6 medium action ugly stick with 10 pound line? Total overkill for panfish And trout and you'll wish you had more when a big pike inhaled your lure, but it kinda works everywhere?
>>
>>730984
That Shimano Stradic somebody has, might be Mainebub, looks real gud.

>>731023
That's a trick question.
>>
>>731023
Cast with the line not the lure
>>
>>731043
Looks nice but a little over my limit. Maybe I'll wait and get it on sale.
>>
I've seen some videos on using flies on spinning tackle but I have to get one of those clear bobbers. Anyone ever use flies on spin gear? I'd like to get out to my local stocked stream on opening trout day
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>731047
Revos?

>tfw almost rear end the bugatti while shitposting
>>
>>731053
>doing anything other than driving while piloting thousands of pounds of steel up to 75 mph
Pepsi, no, I will personally come down there, steal a mepps and rod/reel combo, go out, catch a fish, come back, and Then hit you with it.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>731059
>>
>>730966
>7wt's getting a little too big for all but the biggest bass and trout, but on the verge of too small for really hard fighting stuff like salmon and steelhead.

Actually a 7wt is just about right for LMB, pickerel, small-ish pike, trophy trout, bonefish and small salmon and steelhead. Lots of guys in the PNW use 7wt rods (especially spey and switch) to fish for pinks because it lets smaller fish put up a decent fight but has enough spine to handle the occasional coho or other salmon.

My general rule of thumb is that a fly rod can comfortably deviate almlost two ratings with relative comfort but at either end you've started to be either overgunned or undergunned, respectively.
>>
>>731073
I think most 7wts are spey or switch rods if I'm not mistaken.

Most guys up here use an 8wt spey for surf casting. seems to be the norm for stripers.
>>
>>731083
Not really, no. Salmon fishermen almost always use two-handed rods but for fish that are spookier (trout, bonefish, etc.) or unusual casting situations a single-handed rod is preferred because of the ability to make more delicate presentations.
>>
>>731025
Exactly.

>>731023
It's a whole different theory of fishing. With most other fishing the line is very light and the lures are heavy; with fly fishing the lures are very light and he line is heavy.
Because the fly line is heavy, concerns about spooking fish are real, and that's why fly lines have long, fine leaders.

As far as casting, in order to send those super light flies any distance, you need to keep that heavy fly line both outside of your rod and untangled when casting. There are many techniques to do that, and each has its time and place.

Beyond that, there are whole schools of thought and nearly a dozen different techniques for fly casting in one application or another. All that works in lakes when fishing for panfish from a boat may not all apply to dry flies in small mountain streams. Likewise, fishing with nymphs in large shallow marshes with no trees anywhere requires different techniques than fishing in fjords with forests coming right up to the edge of the water.

Anyway, here's a site that goes into much more depth than I can about the basics of fly fishing.
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tbasic1.shtml
>>
>>731089
namefag fuckup sorry, Sorry I misread you I think. I've only really seen 7wt spey or switch. I've never really seen them as single hand rods. Tbh I've never really seen a 7wt in person.

I understand the reasoning behind most rods, was simply refering to the 7wt, which I don't see a need for when you have an 8wt or 6wt
>>
>>731095
Ayy I asked earlier but idk if you saw it. There any big rivers, maybe inland more, that allow fishing in the winter? Like rivers where you would go for baas, walleye, or cats instead of trout.

What do you think the closure is about? Trout and salmon breeding or dumb people tryin to ice fish on moving water?
>>
>>731095
I think I figured out what the 7 wt equivalent is in this post
>>731025
Basically it can do what the 6 at can do but it's a little overkill, and can do nearly what an 8 wt can but you'll wish you had more. So like it only makes sense in the same context a 6'6" medium action uglystik makes sense- if you want to catch everything from bluegill to pike it can, but you have way too much for gills, and you'll wish you had more when you hook a decent pike, but if Its your only rod it works for just about everything. Yeah it would be better to have a light rod with 6 pound test and a medium heavy rod with 15 but a medium with 10 can pull double duty.
>>
>>731099
>dumb people tryin to ice fish on moving water?
that's pretty much the biggest issue. Someone dies almost every year due to the iceout.

There are rivers inland, and in the northern wilderness that are open year round but it's all trout. We don't really have bass much further north than songo, although the record bass was caught from ice a bit northwest from the songo locks. A lot of people around here consider the bass population and pickerel populations as trash. They aren't really native up here, only in southern maine. Like I said it depends on what body of water it is.
>>
>>731103
Damn, I never new that pickerel and bass weren't native. You get lots of smallmouth up there? Only time I would ever get smallmouth is Northern Wisconsin in real clean and quiet lakes. Same with perch. And if the lake has perch, sure sign it has some musky.
>>
>>731106
I believe they ARE native in the southern waterways, but a very small percentage of the state. We actually have a river that has an amazing small mouth population. Most of the river is shallow, clear, fast moving water. They share the habitat with trout and landlock salmon, they seem to live in some sort of akward harmony It's a very rare and strange thing.
>>
>>731112
Damn, that's cool. I wish there were smallmouth around here. Such pretty fish. I still need to get a goddamn peacock though.

I think on Saturday I'm gonna bring that dude I work with to one of the lakes with lost of peacocks. With my luck, his ass will catch a couple huge ones and I won't get anything. Just because he has no clue what he's doing.

I hope he has a tackle box/bag by then. If he shows up with the shoebox again, I'm going to buy him a $25 bag from Dick's.
>>
>>730625
Northern Pikeminnow for sure. Could see where the name would cause confusion.
>>
>>731114
you mean it's bad that I throw a couple plugs in the old MTB cardboard box when I want to pack light

>>731118
biggest minnow i've ever seen. holy fuck.
>>
>>730963
So it seems like a 7 wt would be a good go to to catch anything. It a a little heavy for trout and panfish, just about right for bass, light salt water, and steelhead, a little light for pike, but probably capable of being pushed into any of those situations.
>>
>>731119
Nah man, his entire tackle collection is 2 bags of Zoom worms, a roll of 12lb Suffix, and a couple hooks in a big blue Adidas box.

His rod and reel is decent though. Only problem is it was spooled like halfway with 12lb. I told him to fill it up a little more. I might bring a roll of 8lb or 10lb and spool it up for him.

Also, instead of hooking the lure/hook to a guide or hook keeper, he just reels it all the way in to the top guide. He was amazed and grateful when I put a bullet weight on his Zoom worm rig. As you can imagine, the worm and hook with no weights doesn't cast very far on a reel halfway spooled with 12lb line.

I told him not to go crazy buying lures, but we gotta at least get him a box or bag and teach him the basics. Gave him a 1/4oz rooster tail too.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>731125
>>731119
The fact that he walked around with his lures like pic related is definitely what made me cringe the most. I didn't even complain about it though. I want him to catch some fish before I bombard him with the proper way to do shit.
>>
>>731126
my buddy whom I fish with often often brings one or two lures, his reels break all the time, but he absolutely insists on not using my spares. He almost always out fishes me. He actually taught me a lot of what I know. Don't always need to baby your gear, or have the best shit to catch fish.
>>
File: IMG_20151109_215244.jpg (870KB, 1350x1350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151109_215244.jpg
870KB, 1350x1350px
>>731120
I use a 5wt for trout/bass/bluegill and an 8wt for smaller salmon (pinks and coho) and steelhead. You won't feel most bluegill on a 7wt; and if you hook into a solid Pike or musky you'll be pissed when it snaps your 7wt. I'd hesitate going after a large musky with my 8wt even.
Best solution is two rods. Or three. Or twelve. Buy all the rods.
This is a nice fish my 5wt handled in high winds; wouldn't have been as much fun on a 7wt
>>
>>731129
that looks like an awesome place to fish.
>>
>>731130
It is pretty nice!
>>
>>731129
If I really get in to it I'll get more but I'm stuck with what I've got for now. Eventually I'd like to get a decent 3 wt, 6 wt, 8 wt, a 10 wt to go after bigger Muskie and pike as well as salt stuff, and some kind of spey. But that's only if I get a hella fly fishing bug
>>
>>731136
Where is that? It almost looks like desert in the background.
>>
File: image.jpg (192KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192KB, 640x1136px
>>731138
>>
>>731139
It's outside of Laramie, WY.
>>
>>731141
Hey pepsifag know how you bought me those things that one time?
I think you know where I'm taking this
>>
>>730911
Its size/weight of the fly.
For pike/musky flies you'd want a 8-10 weight
>>
>>731163
Can't even do it right now. Dis nigga is broke. Squandered too much money recently. I'm thinkin about working some Saturdays so I can stack money to buy more fishing stuff for Sunday.

Is that thing actually any good? Seems too cheap to be worth it but idk if that is just a good deal on something that normally costs more.

Also you gotta pray for Cabela's anon to come around again. If I see the code next time before anybody else gets it, I'm gonna order you niggas some shit. A roll of 20lb braid for that one anon, some bucktails or the xtra pack of Storm baits for Maine, and I'll get you the cheapest, shittiest LED flashlight I can find. X-Rap for Yuro too.
>>
>>731170
>X rap for yuro
>That shipping cost tho
>>
>>731163
>>731141
That sparkly black Panther Marlin in that pic does look pretty though. But I hate ordering lures off the internet so much just because of the shipping. Color selection is better, but when you pay close to $10 shipping on $30 worth of lures, it's just a ripoff. Thats what sucked about that Cabela's gift card too. I only bought just over $30 worth of stuff and the rest was shipping.
>>
>>731163
I might be able to tie you some flies and send them to you.
>>
>>731172
I would just order the shit to my house and relay it. Shipping to Yurop isn't that bad with USPS. Depends on the country, but sending an envelope of stickers to Yuros was normally about $1.20. I imagine one of those padded envelopes with one crank in it wouldn't be much more than $2 shipping.

That's also what pisses me off about that $9 for shipping from Bass Pro and Cabela's. It cost me less than $5 to send that reel to you first class mail. Priority would've been like $7. Those lures I paid $9 shipping on came in a similar sized box and probably weighed less than that reel.
>>
>>731175
Do it. I'll post all of his personal and mailing info here just to make it easy.
>>
>>731177
haha don't do that. I'll post my email for him when I have a couple dozen tied.

>>731176
>That's also what pisses me off about that $9 for shipping from Bass Pro and Cabela's.

pro-tip order in the store from the kiosk, it's free almost 100% of the time. if it isn't get someone that works there to put the "free shipping" code in.

Or alternatively. call your closest store, ask to speak with the department you want to buy from, and make them place the order for you. As long as you mention or imply you want free shipping chances are they will give it to you.

You can also order over a specific amount of stuff to automatically get free shipping.

There are almost always ways to get free shipping, if you are willing to spit some game and work the customer service.
>>
>>731181
Bass Pro does have free shipping a lot, but it's normally $75+ or $100+ and most of the time I want to order lures, it's because I need 3 or 4 in a certain color that I can't find in store. Maybe I could just have them ship to store. I know Gander Mountain will do it and I think it's free but can't remember about Bass Pro. And no Cabela's anywhere around.
>>
>>731175
Would be cool to buy some flies that I can't find in stores. But I wouldn't know what I'd want. I've heard of things called micro buggers (tiny wooly buggers, only maybe half an inch over all length so like size 14 I think) and heard of them killing trout and panfish. Maybe some midge larva/ emerges, those come up a lot when I look at local fly fishing. Egg patterns. Ive also heard of micro jigs (1/80th to 1/100 jigs) used around cover on fly rods because it points the hook up away from cover. But I really don't know.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 368x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 368x500px
Man I need me a MILF wit dat red snapper. I would love to find some rich 45 year old lady from Boca and just take her husband's fishing boat out all day.
>>
have mabe 10-15 $ to spend at cabellas, someone go and find me cool fishin shit to buy and i may buy it if i dont have something similar to it already, also someone convince me to not go fishing in the snow, its too dangerous to slide down the big ass hilll to get to the lake
>>
>>731238
Do we need to run a cold shower, Pepsi?
>>
>>731238
>husband
clean yourself up and start lurking expensive bars, you could land a cougar with dosh no problem

>>731244
ALWAYS fish in the snow. if chasing cold water fish and successfully finding them it's one of the most rewarding things.
>>
>>731247
pond is stock full of pickerel but to get to 2/3 of the spots i fish on the pond you have to slide ddown a steep hill and i almost broke my neck last time v plus its almost dark already
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 800x600px
>>731244
Where are you at with your Mepps™ collection?

Otherwise have you tried any Rapala X-Raps? They are one of my new favorite lures. Yuro loves em too so doesn't matter what you are fishing for.

>>731246
Wut?

This girl here is wife material.
>>
>>731250
i have a handful of mepps , and some off brand inline spinners, dont use them too often, but il try to use them more this year for trout etc, same thins with rapalas have a few dont use them much,going to make more of an effort to use them this year
>>
>>731250
>coors banquet

fucking wifed
>>
File: image.jpg (957KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
957KB, 2448x2448px
>>731256
What do you normally use?

X-Rap is still my vote. Or maybe Rapala SkitterPop. The frog one is GOAT and I actually just got another firetiger one in a larger size.
>>
>>731257
I know. That's what confirmed it for me. Too bad more people don't drink that. Regular Coors is one of the best cheaper beers. And I got a soft spot for redheads.
>>
>>731259
80 percent of my fishin is down with soft plastics or worms i ust ordered a bunch of extra shit anyways
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 500x500px
>>731264
Ahh, I see. I still really need to get on the curly tail worms some more.

Another anon here mentioned he fished them just like some nig I met at the lake. Basically toss them around the weeds, let them sink, and if you don't get a hit on that initial drop, reel it in quick and cast again. Seems odd but I guess it would work. Much easier than trying to rip it through lillies along the bottom, even if it is weedless.
>>
>>731257
How do you fly fish from the surf?
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 685x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 685x800px
>>731264
No topwater though?
>>
>>731267
alot of my hits are on the innitial drop , especially with senkos
>>
>>731269
i have some poppers, a few frogs, i use a bit and i work soft salamanders on the surface often , same thing with some buzzbaits
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 550x835px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 550x835px
>>731269
Damn, I might need to place an order online one of these days. There are a few colors I would really like that I haven't seen in stores. Def that funky OF, and then that GCH and SGFR.

I have the green and brown frogs in 7, a firetiger and classic silver in 5, and firetiger in 9.
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 500x667px
>>731271
Yeah I have been wanting to do the lizards a bit more and try to work them across the top of the weeds weightless.

With the buzzbaits, do you normally use a trailer? I have a handful of buzzbaits but never had good luck with them the few times I used them. The retrieve just seems so damn fast to keep them on top. What technique you use on the buzzbaits?
>>
Anyone try those big ass swimbaits in the north east, any luck?
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>731279
I have a savage rainbow trout that destroys pickerel and bass. I've even used it in the surf and have caught a few stripers with it

It's absolutely huge and swims really well.
>>
>>731276
im the anon , buzzbait, trailer but no skirt, i usually use a lizard as a trailer ( or curly tail grub ) throw it out past weeds, reel in just fast enough for it to stay on the surface, pause a bout 2-3 ft before the weed bed/structure immediately start cranking again , the usually smash it right after you pass the cover >>731279
ive ot a few, dont use them too often because im afraid of snags, though i use soft plastic swimbaits often
>>
>>731281
I'm going to have to try one this year. I want to get a 5+
>>
>>731281
How long is that thing? They pricey?

>>731284
Cool. I gotta try that one day.
>>
>>731287
i usually only do it near sunset
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>731288
Yeah that is normally the only time I really mess with topwater either. Sometimes the fish will be active at the surface early in the morning too and I can get away with it but I prefer a shallow diving crank or something similar in the AM.

Pic was late afternoon, almost sunset on the Skitter Pop.
>>
>>731287
got it at mardens for $2 last year. It's around 7 inches long.
>>
>>731296
i just am hoping to find something i havent used before, i found one thin but want more will post a review if i have any luck with it
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 675x504px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 675x504px
>>731297
I might have to keep an eye out for a big gold shad lookin one. Especially if I can find one for $2 somehow.

Hey, I know you like those Storm lures. Have you ever tried their bluegill baits or anything aside from the regular paddle tails? They have crappie ones too. I just worry that those hooks hanging off the bottom will hook anything and everything as far as snags.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 675x504px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 675x504px
>>731303
I have seen these bright ones too. Maybe I will grab a pack of these bright ones and a pack of the third color for bluegill that are more silver with the vertical black lines on their body since those look like the bluegill I catch hear. Use the bright ones for murky water or cloudy days and then the natural ones in clear water.
>>
>>731303
just used the shads, although there is a place in acadia that these may prove to work well.

and yeah Mardens is GOAT for fishing lures.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 225x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 225x160px
>>731306
This color is probably the closest to natural for this area. Good for big bass in clear water.
>>
>>731306
i just bought some soft plastic bueills, that il be ableto rig weedless will also post a review of them when i et it
>>
File: image.jpg (190KB, 420x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190KB, 420x800px
>>731307
Never heard of Marden's. Almost sounds like a Big Lots. I wish Big Lots sold fishing lures though.
>>
>>731309
What brand? How big? Got a pic?

I still have a few packages of Zoom flukes I need to open up. I just feel like I'm never gonna get a good hookup when I rig them weedless. But even rigging the hook through the top, they don't catch nearly as many weeds as treble hooks.
>>
>>731312
white swimmin zoom flukes ( the 3.5 inch size) has been hot for me so far this year also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6iLJrnQ8ZQ skip to 2min 55 seconds or so in i got a different color, but figured using a rig like his may be worth a shot
>>
>>731316
Big Bite Baits? Looks gud. Gotta look for somethin like that at Bass Pro. I always need some realistic stuff for the clear water.
>>
>>731326
i was goin to also try to fish it top water in lillypads
>>
pepsi you gonna apply for /out/ janitor? lol
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 540x532px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 540x532px
>>731348
I actually saw that. And I don't think I should have any authority over anything.

Plus I work too much on weekdays to put in a good time window. I shitpost a lil when I have a minute or two free at work but otherwise I really only lurk hard for a couple hours after work.
>>
File: image.jpg (167KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167KB, 800x600px
>>731348
This right here is more responsibility than I need
>>
anyone have experience with Wright & McGill spinnin reels? i may be able to et one for somewhat cheap from cl
>>
>>731380
I owned a W&M Baitcaster for a couple days...

They're a decent company but you just don't see the stuff around a ton. As long as it isn't one of the plastic ones that comes on a $100 combo where the rod alone is worth $100 (Skeet Reese Combos) then it should be fine.
>>
>>731388
it is a skeet reese 3k guy wanted $50 i offered $30 thouh it comes with aa second reel
>>
>>731392
>>731388
second spool
>>
>>731392
>>731393
Look it up online.

I was just saying there is this Skeet Reese combo they sell at Dick's for $100. And the rod is super nice and could be sold for that much alone. They actually do sell almost the same rod for $100. But the reel they put on those combos is really shitty.

I'm sure the actual Skeet Reese signature reels or whatever are nice. Bonus that it comes with a second spool. Doesn't sound like you can go wrong at that price if it is in good condition.

Might want to look on the W&M website too and see if they still carry parts or whatever for the reel too. That always means a lot. I feel bad for MaineBub and his Okuma because of that. Not really a dealbreaker if you are getting a good price though.
>>
>>731398
i really just want a 2000 size reel with an extra spool that comes cheap his is a 3000 size but stil extra spool
>>
>>731403
>Sienna

Do what you want. There are lots of reels out there for $30-$50 new that will get the job done but if that reel is a good price you might as well grab it. At least that's my theory. Othereise just spend $30 or $40 on a Sienna or Cardinal SX in the size you want. And there is always that Okuma Stratus or maybe a cheaper Pflueger or Mitchell. Those Daiwa Excelcers might still be on sale at Dick's too but only the 3500 and 4000 sizes which blows or I woulda bought a 3000 already.
>>
>>731413
il probably buy one though where would i ot about buying a second spool they laso dont have a 2000 size only 2500
>>
>>731417
What? The Sienna?

Also, reel sizes change slightly by brand. Look at the line weight. My Pflueger President 30 is the same size as most 2000/2500 reels. And my bigger President is a 35 or 40 and that one is the size of my Abu Cardinal SX30. So like 6/8/10 on the Abu 30 and President 35. President 30 is more for 4/6/8 line like the Okuma 25.
>>
>>731420
actually i have a reel i like , though i need a n extra spool, and the drag on it is all sorts of fucked upp ( i think someone lost the drag knob and replaced it with one from a different reel
>>
>>731426
Damn, that sucks. What brand is it? You should see if you can order a new spool and cap. Email the company if anything.
>>
File: IMG_20160401_170418457_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_170418457_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>731428
Okuma centrific cis20
See how the drag knob sits ontop of the spool instead if seating inside it like most reels are ?
When the drag starts to spool out it grabs the drag knob and tightens the drag
>>
>>731432
try putting a washer between the drag knob and the spool, or whatever the knob comes into contact too when tightened
>>
>>731435
ive been meanin to, i have 20 lb braid on it so its not likley anythin is oin to break me off but still
>>
>>731279
I hope to have a hudd-chucking setup before fall but I'm more mid-atlantic and haven't gotten into big swimbaits quite yet. Jackall's Gantarel really caught my eye too. I did pop a 5" Keitech Easy Shiner on a swim jig today (a fairly large presentation for modest freshwater ponds) with some success.

>>731316
>swimmin zoom flukes
Haven't seen those before but they look like they might make great trailers too. Looking like I should probably pick up some swimbait hooks in case I want to start fishing these soft plastics without skirted jigs or spinners.
>>
>>731446
if you find cheap unweighted swimbait hooks let me know
>>
today I stuck my finger to scratch my asshole, then touched my bait to put a fresh one on the hook, same as I was using though, and started landing dozens of fish.. Idk if it's the reason or not.. gonna experiment more.
>>
>>731459
Not really cheap, but Dick's has had a bunch of those Trokar hooks on sale. They are normally $10 for a 6pk but are 50% off so $5.

>>731466
Really? I'm droppin the Cosby kids off at the pool right now and I'm not sure whether or not I should flush em now.
>>
>>731466
sometimes I shit in the river and I catch more fish. I don't know why
>>
>>731471
i saw that , still more expensive than my likin plus at my local dicks all were weighted
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>731475
Really? Were you looking in the right section? I had no trouble finding a bunch of 4/0 and similar sized ones without weights at all of the Dick's I have been to (like 4 of them). Unless you're looking for the ones with the little springs on them, all my weighted ones have those but I rig them without that spring anyway as long as the hooks have that bent shank.

I normally don't spend that much on hooks either, but at that price they are only slightly more than the cheap ass ones anyway. As for the ones with the little spring/peg to put into the lure, the Mr. Twister ones were the cheapest I saw but were waited. If you run a 1/32oz weighted hook on a big swimbait though, I doubt it will make it sink too fast.
>>
>>731481
i was lookin for the spring type, i always habe used offset hooks, but often get frustrated getting a hit and having it mess uo the plastic for the rest of the retrieve
>>
>>731484
Ahh, I see. I have never even specifically looked for unweighted hooks like that. I'm sure they make them but I normally don't spend a ton of time in the hook aisle since it's too big and I only venture in there if I know exactly what I want. Not like the crankbait section where I browse.

So why no weighted hooks? I mean if worst comes to worst, just get really lightly weighted ones.
>>
>>731487
i like to have weightless because most of the time im fishing shallow ( 1-3.5 ft) and i like to be able to work the bait VERY slowly, and when fishing for pickerel im using a wire leader anyways and thats more than enough weight
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 640x1136px
>>731490
Makes sense.

http://m.basspro.com/Berkley-Fusion19-Swimbait-Hooks/product/2251526/
>>
>>731494
nearest bass pro is 50 min away found some at cabellas at 5 sdollars per 4 of them wich is more than i want but il try it out
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 640x1136px
>>731494
>>731490
Gamakatsu, Mustad, Mr. Twister, all the companies seem to make these hooks. Shouldn't be too hard to find in store.
>>
>>731497
saw rhe gamakatsu but they are son sale and dont have any in the size i think i want, il be makin a trip to cabellas in a week or two to pick up some shit i had shipped to shore
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 640x1136px
>>731496
Yeah unfortunately that's how it seems to go with those. Mr. Twister were the cheapest weighted ones I found. It was a 6pk or 8pk for like $4 at Bass Pro but I don't ever recall seeing them at Dick's. Maybe Cabela's will have them. But a lot of those specialty hooks, it seems like they only carry the expensive brands in the stores.

Also the Mr. Twister ones didn't quite have a wide enough gap between the point and the shank so I don't think they will be great for swimbaits with fatter bellies. They would work for thinner split tail ones though.
>>
>>731499
il try for the gamakatsu ones if not then try owner ones
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 640x1136px
>>731502
Can't go wrong there.

Pic related looks dope. $7 for a 5pk though...
>>
>>731170
Aww
>(Saltwater kind bruv)

>>731197
Thats something people cant get used to. You often get a few things and tge shipping adds like 10 bucks. Do that 6-7 times....You spent 70$ on shipping.

Try holding out. See what the free shipping lower spent amount is, and goal for it over time. Write down the lures/gear you want and when you hit dat free shipping mark, pull the trig.

You will end up spending less over time and will be more aware of hoe much you spend.

Here, the free shipping margin is often easily 140$+.

>>731238
This desu

>>731244
>>731250
X-rap a best. Original floater too. Husky jerk. Floating magnum.

>>731273
Mad jelly of yalls inventory size.
We usually get only a few lures in a few sizes in a few colors that the cuck stores pick. And most of the time they dont give proper info in terms of size and weight. Often have to go look at the color codes on the manufacturers page because the cuck store website cant into any proper info.

>>731353
Those are some nice buns.
>>
Anyone where to learn how to fish from the beginning? I used to fish a lot when I was younger but have not in years and recently have been getting into it and want to be proficient in it so it feels like learning how to ride a bike again.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>
Want to get out fishing today but snow is a thing and very slippery, and I already almost died once
>>
>>731618
Shit hasn't melted?
>>
>>731632
after an early as fuck sprin and temps of 80f we ot snow again the past 2 nights so we maybe have 3-4 inches
>>
>>731547
This is a good site. It has a lot of the absolute basics to get you back on the water.
http://www.takemefishing.org
>>
>>731472
Dr. Ben Carson here, I may have an answer for you.

Just like certain colors fade when further down into the water column, so too do certain scents and flavors. This means that the fish cannot taste the more fecal notes, and instead can only taste the corn in your feces.
>>
>>731617
Please stop the fishing assery.
(dont)
(As long as they nice asses)
>>
>>731634
Damn, I'm amazed it's actually sticking.

>>731661
Thanks Dr. Ben!
>>
>>731674
the past few days have been chilly at just above freezing hope ingg it will be one by tonight
>>
So apparently there's a pond/lake by me that the city stocks with rainbow trout in the winter. Is it worth a shot to target them now, or you do you think they're all died by now? North texas btw
>>
>>731713
How warm does the water have to be before the trout can't survive?
>>
>>731716
Trout top out about 65-70° Fahrenheit I think. I'd double check that but you know.
>>
>>731716
Trout can be much more resilient than you may think, after years of fishing shallow warm weedy pond one day I stumbled across a population of rainbow trout, water was bathtub warm and the trot were doing fine
>>
>>731713
They shouldn't have died. Trout will go deep if the water gets to warm. They rarely die from being to cold.
>>
>>731735
>>731738
Awesome. They like inline spinners right?
>>
File: BLineFeed1.webm (854KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
BLineFeed1.webm
854KB, 640x360px
>>731745
yes hatchery fish rend to like anything shiny
>>
>>731745
Yes but water temp needs to be over 50 for them to really dart at anything. under 50 you need to go S L O W
>>
>>731791
Lol it'll be above 50 for sure.
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 707x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 707x960px
Bump limit when?
>>
>>731803
Right now desu
>>
>>731794
Got a boat? There is a good method that is widely used up here in the summer heat for trout fishing small warm ponds.

Basically we cano out to the deep holes in the pond in high summer heat, using a Swedish pimple or minnow spoon and jig slowly off the bottom of the holes.

It's productive in the August heat, could work for you if water temps are above 50, as most trout will suspend in about 15-50 feet of water depending on the temperature in lakes, but will take to deep holes in smaller bodies of clear water.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.