[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 51

File: Saltytakeover.jpg (268KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Saltytakeover.jpg
268KB, 960x720px
#20 - Salty Takeover While Pepsi is Asleep Edition

Previous thread:
>>720908

Happy Easter. I busted my reel. Fluke got a new one and made a neat needlefish plug. Pepsi and mainebub with the usual.

Talk about fishin'
>>
>>723319
310 REPLIES

R
E
P
L
I
E
S
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 640x1136px
That one is ded now so bump
>>
>>723319
What are those two fish? In Australia we have two very similar species, the top one is like a grinner/Sargent Baker and the bottom one is very similar to our bream.
>>
>>723333
Checked

And I wake up at 4am on weekdays so I'm normally up pretty early on weekends. A lot of times on Saturdays I will wake up at 6 and pass out again until like noon though.
>>
>>723334
Top is "Trachinus Draco" commonly known in Croatian as "Pauk Bijelac" (White Spider) or "Dragana" (no meaning)

Bottom is "Sparus Aurata" or "Gilt-Head Bream" known in Croatian as "Orada" (from italian) or preferably "Komarča".
Commonly known as the queen of the Adriatic.
>>
>>723334
>>723340
Worth mentioning that the top one has 3 spikes on top of its head which cause immense pain and ask for a tetanus shot asap when stung.
(i glove up and cut them off as soon as its out of the water, so you cant see em)
>>
>>723340
>>723341
Ah cool, thanks for that. It never ceases to amaze me how similar fish species are all over the world.
>>
>>723341
>>723343
The gill covers also have a spike with the toxin. They are worse than picking up a young catfish the wrong way.
>>
>>723349
Not sure if this specific species does.
Not as far as i remember.
>>
File: 1456884696960.jpg (67KB, 1671x1667px) Image search: [Google]
1456884696960.jpg
67KB, 1671x1667px
Fug, I've had a ~50$ Tackle Warehouse order sitting in my cart for over a week. I really want the stuff but I've already spent so much in the past month on fishing stuff.
>>
Uh oh guise. Taking a girl fishing today. Lord give me strength.
>>
>>723362
I used to take my ex fishing with me.
Was pretty decent. Tolerating her pays back pretty nicely when you hit that punani and catch a few fish at the same time.
>>
>>723362

Good luck anon. I wish I had someone to fish with.
>>
>>723349
We have sculpin up here. With venom strong enough to kill within an hour.

So fucking tasty though.
>>
>>723365
I'm just worried she'll get bored or something. Like I can stay out all day and not get a bite and be content, but I know most people aren't like that.

>>723366
I like fishing alone better
>>
>>723361
I feel ya dawg. Last month was real hard on my wallet with fishing stuff.
This month i was gonna cut it to 20 bucks tops.
Went and spent 17 on a few things, and now i might be forced to drop 50 on a reel. :(
>>
>>723369
Yeah. Ex was used to this. She used to go fishing w her dad when she was a kid.
Current gf also doesnt mind it. We went once, but not carp fishing. Went shore jigging. She likes being out in nature when its nice weather outside so she digs it.

Plus if shes worth anything, she will be ok with it.
>>
>>723371

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a yak very soon too. So it's like buy a yak, or have more stuff to shore fish with.
>>
>>723369

>I like fishing alone better

I could see that for people who aren't lonely but I've been alone my whole so...
>>
>>723375
Then save. I can only imagine how much of a game changer a yak is.
Save yo money. Get a yak. Buy more lures afterwards. You will love yourself for it.
Otherwise you will:
a) Always want to buy a yak but never will
b) Drop too much money at a point where you shouldnt do it on a yak

>>723377
I pref fishing alone as well. Sometimes though, i feel like bringing someone. Rarely though, but i get ya.
>>
>>723371
I'm so bad about this. I've already spent $200 this weekend and I got paid Friday. I did get a new rod and reel though so not too bad I guess.

>>723373
>Plus if shes worth anything, she will be ok with it.
You right. I couldn't date someone who didn't like to fish. But me and this girl are only friends. She lives like 4 hours away and she's in town for the weekend.

>>723377
Why don't you get a tinder or something? Even if you aren't looking for a relationship you might find some cool people to hang out with.
>>
>>723382
Well, things are a bit tighter when your pay is only like 600$

Well if she accepted the invite you shouldnt worry much. Just dont be all like omgrubored all the time.
>>
>>723387
>Well, things are a bit tighter when your pay is only like 600$
My pay is only like $600 though...

>Well if she accepted the invite you shouldnt worry much
She actually suggested it lol. I think it'll be aight.
>>
>>723392
Fug. 600/mo? No way you only get that in the USA?

There you go. She either feels it will be nice. Or thinks fishing is a nice inconspicuous way to hint that she wants to fug.
>>
have 70 something dollars to spend at cabellas, what get? most of my fishing is or bass or pickerel, trout and panish, what should i spend it on?
>>
>>723387
That's about double my biweekly paycheck
>>
>>723394
>600/mo
Nah it's $600 every 2 weeks.

>Or thinks fishing is a nice inconspicuous way to hint that she wants to fug.

That's what I'm kinda worried about. Like I would totally bang, but if that's what she wanted I'd rather her just say she wanted to come over and watch a movie or something lol. Oh well we'll see how it goes.
>>
>>723397
>>723399
Yeah im on 600 per month.
With 600 every 2 weeks id be able to live a pretty fucking solid bachelor life. Nothing special but by all means liveable, with money to spend.

Eh, don't worry about it much. Youll see where it goes and play along, which ever way it goes.
>>
>>723369
>I like fishing alone better
substitute fishing with doing everything and you've described me. Yet I'm married and have a kid. I just prefer being alone.
>>
>>723375
>buy a yak very soon
do it, so much better than shore + you can find the bastages with the fishfinder.
>>
>>723410

Oh man that sounds great, don't think I can justify getting the fish finder right away though. Especially since I don't have a roof rack yet. Maybe xmas or next tax return.
>>
>>723379

You're right, I should hold back until I get the yak. It's not like I don't already have a bunch of tackle.

>>723382

Tinder scares me almost as much as trying to interact with people IRL. I also wouldn't want to fall for the type of girl who uses a hook up app.
>>
>>723396
advice pls or il end up buying 70 dollars of soft plastics , i already have 35 dollars worth in my cart
>>
>>723423
Wat kind of tackle box/bag are you running? You could get a nice Plano bag for that.
>>
>>723423
What u got in there
>>
>>723403
We make about the same dollars per month, but I don't know who's dollar is stronger because to find out id have to Google Croatian currency Then find what it's worth compared to usd and it's easier not to care
>>
>>723431
Is he on the Euro? They are real similar to USD. But the actual value of it changes depending where you live.
>>
>>723431
>>723434
Nah senpaitachi.
4200 HRK (croatian kuna) = 620 USD
I did the converting in my head. Im used to talking to amerifags who know of nothing other than their measurements kek.
>>
>>723438
All that matters is if I drove through Croatia, they would accept $ or €, right?
>>
>>723439
No. The stores wouldnt anyway. Maybe some small outdoor stands or some shit, but doubtful...
But it doesnt matter, what would you be doing in this neck of the woods anyway lol...

>We got mad fine sea tho
>>
>>723414
>xmas or next tax return
Plan it carefully. THere is a lot of stuff you'll need/want once you have the yak. If you're buying new you need paddle, paddle leash, pole holders, life jacket, garmin depth/fish finder/gps, cooler, crate, dry bags, anchor, anchor trolley.

Not all critical but can get spendy real fast.
I recommend going used if you can where it already has a paddle and possibly some other stuff.

You've already mentioned roof rack, I had to get a bed extender for my truck and that was another $80 + straps to tie it down.

and on and on and on... and worth every penny. Debating tossing it in now. Takes about 10 minutes to be ready to leave which isnt bad at all.
>>
>>723438
Oh. Well then we're similarly poor unless everything is super cheap there
>>
>>723458
Some shit is cheaper, some shit is ridiculously way more expensive.
But i have training wheels, by living with my parents.
But only because i work full time and attend college 2 hours away, most work days, and i buy all my shit.

If i lived alone, i couldnt afford anything, let alone college.
>>
>>723464
We run about the same system then. Except I don't work full time because yay McDonald's
>>
File: reeel (2).jpg (280KB, 1004x1819px) Image search: [Google]
reeel (2).jpg
280KB, 1004x1819px
About the reel.
The part i lost is labeled 22. "Spring seat ball trip shaft"

And i cant for my life unscrew screw labeled 12, which holds the line roller in place with the rest of the bail wire.
The line roller doesnt roll.
>>
>>723525
Is #12 just a phillips head screw? Before you go too hard, just make sure it isn't threaded the opposite way for some reason. They do that on random shit with moving parts. Bicycle pedals are the one thing I can think of like that.

Otherwise get some penetrating oul. I would say heat too, but I don't think you want to take a propane torch to a fishing reel.
>>
>>723533
Yeah a phillips head/straight head hybrid.
Tried both ways, and WD-40. Also tried Ballistol a few days back.
>>
>>723537
Hmm. Good luck. I would just stop while I'm ahead before I totally fuck it up.

So what is wrong with that reel again? The bail just doesn't close automatically or something?

I always close the bail by hand anyway. Stems from back in the day like late 90s or early 2000s when lots of companies were putting those little triggers on the bail so you can grab the line and open the bail with one finger. They never seemed to snap shut as easily and the rotor would spin around almost a full rotation sometimes since the anti-reverse only kicked in when the trigger was in line with the rod. I'm glad that fad died.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 450x450px
>>723541
Anybody else remember these triggers?

Not a bad idea, but my one problem with it is they don't have an instant anti-reverse. The main time it annoys me is when I'm done with fishing and put the hook on the holder (guide lol) and then go to reel it tight. The rotor only stops at one position so it always ends up being too loose or too tight so I end up having to reel it too tight and then pull a little line out by hand.
>>
>>723548
Still have an early 90s Shimano with that trigger. Still works good enough that I haven't thought about replacing it yet.

I wondered why those trigger things went away. They were kind of handy
>>
>>723562
Does the Shimano have the goofy anti-reverse thing as well where it only stops at 12:00? I have two old Quantums with the triggers and I never really got in the habit of using them. Like I said, I even close the bail by hand.
>>
>>723541
I said fuck it. And removed part #21 "kick lever". The thing that trips the bail to drop when you turn the handle past the trigger point. Basically what you just said.

But the initial problem is that the line roller doesnt roll. The thing that guides the line on your reel. Its stuck in place, so my new expensive green braid leaves green gunk on it because it rubs on it. It wasnt much of an issue with mono but now it even sounds bad with braid, while wearing it out.
>>
>>723572
Who doesnt close the bail by hand wtf.
>>
>>723579

People who just turn the handle? I guess I only do that with my light gear though.
>>
>>723572
It does, but The bail rotates backwards a little with the trigger engaged so that it flipping over only at 12:00 isn't that big of a deal. The net effect is it's no more sloppy or more of hassle to deal with than most any other spinning reel.

At any rate it's always worked well enough that I've never felt the need to replace it.
>>
>>723579
Me, apparently.

Didn't know I was a heretic until now.
Oh well
>>
>>723659
Like I said, the main time it really annoys me is when I'm trying to hang the hook off the hook keeper or guide. Otherwise it's not a big deal but I never used the trigger anyway.

>>723664
I always figured I was in the minority closing it by hand.
>>
>>723667
I mostly use it because it's easy to catch the line and flip the bail open with the trigger in one single motion of my finger. A little less hassle than opening the bail with my other hand.

I do close the bail with my hand too from time to time. Especially with my UL spinning rig or when I want a less jerky initial presentation. But if I'm just fishing water fast with a rattletrap I don't bother.
>>
Can someone recommend a decent quality reel & rod for mostly pond fishing? I currently use a panfish pole or even a pole made from native canebrake bamboo but id like to get something I can more easily work with.
>>
>>723677
Budget? Rod and reel?
>>
>>723677
Zebco 33 combo

Easy to use, $35-ish and available at Walmart or Bass Pro all year round.
>>
>>723686
>spincast
I still refuse to believe people between the ages of 8 and 80 use those things.
>>
>>723680
$30ish range.
>>723686
I will look into it.
>>723691
I was kinda under that impression but I decided it wasnt important enough to me myself to be anti-spincast. Still open to suggestions.
>>
>>723692
I also fish is streams/creeks sometimes.
>>
>>723677
I should make some pastebin shit or something to put in the OP about this.

First of all, for pond fishing, I would say you want to run around 6lb-8lb test mono and a ~6'6" medium weight rod with a reel that can hold 120yds-150yds of whatever line you choose. 8lb should give you enough strength for occaisional channel cats or common carp. 6lb if you are going to get some bigger bass. 4lb is straight if you want to do lots of crappie, bream, and 2lb bass.

Pflueger makes a lot of nice combos for <$100. Some of them come with Fenwick rods too which are decent. There is some anon who shits on Pflueger for no reason, but they are a trusted company so disregard him. Abu Garcia Cardinal SX combos are nice too for $70. The come with a nice rod as well which can be rare on a combo in that price range. Daiwa Laguna combos are supposed to be solid for a low price.

MaineBub and I would both say a solid budget setup would be a Shimano Sienna reel ($30) and an Ugly Stik ($40) will last you for years. Only thing is they don't sell many Shimano combos and it will often save you $10 or $20 buying a combo at a store like Bass Pro versus buying the rod and reel seperate.

Ordering online is iffy. Go check it out at the store first at least and make sure you like the size if you are going to order something online.

I'm sure there's a ton I missed. You can't really go wrong with most of the well known brands. Even the store brands are getting really nice these days and you can find good sales on them a few times a year. If anything, look online and post what you find here. We could maybe tell you what we know about them and what size to go with.
>>
>>723692
Are you just looking for a reel at $30 then? Shimano Sienna. $29.99. All day, everyday. Do it. 1000 is a good size for 4lb mono and panfish, possibly 6lb. If you want to catch some bigger bass and occaisonal catfish, Sienna 2000? Or whatever the next size up from the 1000 is. Run some 6lb or 8lb mono in that case.
>>
>>723695
>>723692
Abu Garcia Cardinal is another decent spinning reel around $30. I'm an Abu Garcia fan, but I would probably do the Shimano Sienna. I have owned one for years and I'm amazed at what I got for $30. And only reason I bought it was because all the magazine reviews said it was the best option for reels in that price range.
>>
>>723691
Sure the line capacity isn't great, but it's nice when you want to use shit that just works and isn't a hassle to deal with.

I got a little Zebco micro 33 to put on a super-floppy UL pole that didn't pair well with an old low-capacity baitcaster I had, and I forgot just how nice they are to use. Literally zero learning curve-you can just start fishing right away. Just seated the reel, threaded the line, and tied a spinner on-went from box to fishing in 5 minutes.
That said, the cheap ones are awful because they wear out on you with just minimal regular use. But a decent one is not much more money and they're about the ultimate option for low-stress pond fishing. Just grab, add bait and be fishing.
>>
>>723694
>I should make some pastebin shit or something to put in the OP about this
If you end up doing something like this I could probably contribute some Australian information and shit like that.
>>
>>723700
You guys probably get lots of the same shit as us since Shimano and Daiwa are all Japanese and Pure Fishing owns pretty much everything else and all their stuff is made in Korea.
>>
>>723703
Yeah Shimano is by far the most popular brand here, followed by Daiwa, Penn and Abu. For reels anyway. I thought you meant being a bit more detailed in the pastebin, regarding specific species and that sort of thing. All good.
>>
>>723708
Shit I would need help with that. Maybr we will discuss it a lil more in the future or possibly there is a good all-inclusive website I could link.

Penn, Abu, Pflueger, Berkley, I think Shakespeare too are all Pure Fishing so I'm sure you guys have a real similar selection of tackle.
>>
>>723709
Yeah no worries, if you ever do get around to putting a pastebin together and want some Australian stuff, just say so. I'll almost definitely see the post.
>>
>>723711
Idk about you, but one of the vest guides for fishing techniques I have found seems to be the state Fish & Game or Wildlife website. For a gov't website, it gives a pretty good overview of the species, whete they live, what baits they like, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (230KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230KB, 640x1136px
Update: girl bailed on me. She was saying some nonsense about how her mom wanted to spend Easter with her or something.

Big ass worm is kinda cool. If I reel it in super slow it moves kinda like a snek. I doubt I'll use them much but they were on sale.

Hooked a really big bass and a smaller one, but they got away.

Today just isn't my day.
>>
>>723741

Sorry anon, it is a a holiday though.

>>723452

Yeah I know, I'm not really new to kayaks, this will just be the first that is actually mine. Thanks though. Maybe I'll mention gift cards to my family, my birthday is in a few months.
>>
Hey folks, I'm planning a trip to Colorado in July with some family. We're driving from GA and planning on stopping in East Colorado and making our way across the state trout fishing. Camping and such. What kind of tackle do you recommend and just overall advice?
>>
>>723741
If you want to give her one more shot, do so, but on your terms and at a time and place of your choosing, and with the understanding that she screwed up, not you.
If she bails again, it's over.
>>
File: image1-3.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1-3.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Caught a couple fishes this weekend, both salty and unsalty. Killed it on sea trout, caught 3 in 3 casts when I first got on the water.
>>
>>723757
For trout, fly fishing is the name of the game.
As for what flies to use, here's a hatch chart for Colorado:
http://www.theflyfisher.com/reports/hatch-chart.cfm
>>
>>723765
Lol Bruh she's just a good friend. I'm not upset about it at all. I've known her for 6ish years. We'll go when she's back in town.

Actually idk if she's ever fished before. What should I start her out on? Obviously a spinning reel, but what lures?
>>
>>723770

For bass? Senkos seem to work to some extent most of the time up here anyway. Pretty dummy proof with a weightless texas rig.
>>
>>723307
A 150mm AC Invader and 4 100mm Swagman Jumbuck Lures. Yeah they are meant for Cod (and Barra) mate.
>>
File: fuckin trouts m8.png (632KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
fuckin trouts m8.png
632KB, 640x1136px
moar fishes from my ghettoyak
>>
I've got a question that I can't seem to find an answer for online. I'm probably just using the wrong search parameters.

What are the rules for fishing NF area lakes that aren't listed in the state fishing guide? (US, WA specifically). Also, if it is allowable to fish unlisted lakes, I'd assume that they're not stocked; is it worth trying to fish unstocked lakes?
>>
File: image1-2.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1-2.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
A wild green pig caught in the depths of the Hillsborough river.
>>
>>723425
miscellaneous small boxes, i throw in my fishing bucket i sit on sometimes, il be moving to a small backpack sometime soon >>723426
some swim baits ( soft) some jerk/twitch baits ( soft) and also some weird undulating shit
>>
>>723770
Spincast reel, medium rod, bobber, sinkers and worms.
If it's her first time fishing or she hasn't been fishing in a while, setting her up to catch shit is what you want to do.
>>
>>723778
NF lakes are bound by the rules of that particular NF, which is the domain of the Feds.
Look up the regs for that particular NF and you'll have yor answer.
>>
>>723802
So do you not need a state fishing license to fish a national forest water body?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>723778
>is it worth trying to fish unstocked lakes?
I would say so. I'm pretty sure they don'g stock little lakes in the middle of commercial complexes.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54KB, 300x300px
>>723827
are those loafers without socks
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>723843
Idk, some boat shoe type shit. That's my little brother
>>
>>723810
You do, but their regs can be special to that NF in addition to the state regs. That's why it's best to check with them first. They can have special snowflake regs.
>>
>>723843
Indeed they are
>>
>>723572
i finally got around to playing with that low pro meme caster
is nice
>>
>>723852
Sounds good. Join the memecaster community and look down upon those spinning plebs. It's gotta cast nice with that 20lb PowerPro on there too. You coulda gone heavier but I think #20 is gonna be plenty strong for any bass or whatever you will get on that.
>>
How do I target channel cats?
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 1280x720px
>>723879
I really prefer dip bait and the little rigs instead of the dough balls. Chicken liver seems to work well for lots of people too. But Dip Bait > Dough Bait all day.

There is one anon who does really well for channel cats. He uses this stuff called "Punch Bait" which is similar to dip bait. Always fishes from a boat and says if you haven't gotten one in 10min, switch spots until you find where they are.

I always catch channel cats in the strangest spots so I have no clue what kind of structure to target. I always just huck a big weight out there with some dip bait rigs a couple feet down line from the weight and see if something hits it.

I always forget to ask the catmaster if he leaves the bail open or closed.
>>
>>723879

Jump in a muddy river and find a hole to stick your hand in.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>723893
Those are normally flatheads though.

Pic not really related
>>
>>723879
>>723891
im going to b e targeting some as well in a local pond, pond isnt huge but is large enough, tjust going to soak cut bait and nightcrawlers, an il probably throw out some chum to draw in some attention, also going to target a local river,the same way that im not sure i it has channel cats in it, though there are white catfish and bullheads though the river il target at night
>>
>Just found and ordered the reel i was trying to fix off of ebay.
It was somewhat hard to find for the price and no retail store had it in stock at a reasonable price. So i pulled the trigger. Worth it desu.

I did also send an email to Spro, in hope of getting hooked up with spare parts but seeing as i live in a shithole country, i doubt it will happen. I never got help that way, for anything lol.
>>
>>723904
I have had luck with nightcrawlers. They're fun because you can catch all sorts of shit on them. You could also do those big dead shad they sell in tackle shops. Walmart may even have them. Or catch some small bluegill and cut them in half.

To add, the past handful of channel cats I caught have been during the day. Other anon who always gets dozens of keepers says he fishes for them during the day most of the time as well. I don't think it matters.

But the dip bait is normally <$5 for a jar and the rigs cost like $2 for 2 or 3 of them so not like it's a big investment. If you want some big cats tho half or a whole dead shad or half a blugill will get some attention.

>>723934
So did you order a used one for parts or a brand new one just to replace it?
>>
>>723941
i dont really car what i catch, the lake has channel cats and walleye in ti ( hoping to catch those) aswell as bass etc the river im hoping to get white catifish, big eels, etc maybe even a big ass trout
>>
>>723941
New one to replace it. DIdnt find used.

When that ships ill try to fix this one with more extreme measures, as i will have a replacement.
About fiddy bucks, which is alright...
>>
So I have $150 in amazon gift cards. What meme caster should I get? I can go up to about $200 or so.
>>
>>723953
Errybody has been saying the new Daiwas are really nice. Also there is a Shimano or two in that range. I have an Abu Garcia Revo SX that seems decent but I haven't used many other memecasters so I can't compare it.

If you like the Abus, you could probably get the Revo STX which has the "Infini" drag system that looks awesome. The Revo STX at $200 is their cheapest reel with the Infini system while the SX at $160 had magnetic drag and S at $130 has centrifugal. No complaints at all with my SX either. Weighs absolutely nothing and is really smooth.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 640x1136px
>>723959
>>723953
>4.9 Stars
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 640x1136px
>>723959

>Revo STX
I was looking at that one.

I have a black max that I like a lot. I was also thinking about pic related. I won't get anything until I've seen/held it in person. I'll check out those diowas and shimanos though.
>>
>>723974
>Daiwas*

My brain is retarded
>>
i have a cheap old memecaster, ugly stick combo how do i go about setting it up properly and not backlashing etc will i actually cast further etc?
>>
Fucking hell. Looking to make a trip to the US of A later in the year.
These layovers in NYC are meme tier.
>complete fucking layman
>make your way from JFK to Newark intl in 4 hours
>make your flight without getting stabbed, shot, or lost

Yeah nah thanks senpai.
>>
Fishing noob here. What're the main differences in spinning reel vs baitcasting? I've only used spinning.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The snook didn't show up today but at least I got something.
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 640x1136px
>>723963
I think I found the one
>>
>>723953
Tatula CT. Shimano Citica. Get that pinion bearing bruh.
>>
>>723985
Fly into MIA jeezy

>>723984
Just set the tension and everything nice and tight until you get comfy. Be very careful casting into wind and take your time getting good at it. You can watch JewToob videos I'm sure on the correct way to set tension and brakes. Look up casting techniques too. I normally just do sidearm casts but you gotta be careful how you lob it or you could be asking for a nest. Seems like if I cast it kinda flat, it is all good. If I really loft it, I can run into problems. But with the reel dialed in, those sidearm casts will go real far without much effort.

>>723974
Lots of people seem to like that Lew's stuff. I'm still not 100% sure just because it seems like somebody bought the name and revived them out of nowhere. I'm sure they're nice though. Bass Pro's Johnny Morris stuff is real nice too but not sure if you can do that with Amazon.

>>723990
Memecasters are a bit more compact and lighter in most cases. I still use spinning reels most of the time. Seems like mostly preference. But if you want to run heavier line for rippin through weeds, a baitcaster will normally be much more compact than a similar spinning reel. Once you get everything set right, they cast very far and smooth. The drag is normally nice and smooth and consistent as well. Plus people say no line twist but I have never really had an issue with that. Baitcasters aren't great for lighter stuff though (like <3/8oz) unless you get a real special setup.
>>
>>723997
Tatula Zillion shtinks. Zillion SV TW is where it's at.
>>
>>723997
Dat gear ratio tho. Looks nice but I'm sure it's only so cheap because 9.1:1
>>
>>724000
Lews reels are made in the same factory as revos.
>>
>>723998
>Shimano Citica
I kinda like that

>>724001
>Tatula Zillion shtinks.
Whys that?

>>724002
>because 9.1:1
That's kinda of the intriguing part. Less reeling for me to do
>>
>>724003
Are they owned by Pure Fishing? I figured one of the big companies bought up the name but I wasn't sure who. I have heard lots of good things so I wouldn't tell anybody not to get them.

I just tend to lean towards the brands that have been around forever. Like with Abu, I know that they will always be around and I can always get parts and service. I had never heard of Lew's until recently when they popped out of nowhere and I heard all these older dudes talking about how stoked they were that the company was back. But I couldn't tell if it's nostalgia or the stuff is really nice.
>>
>>724005
9.1:1 is insane though. That is like twice as fast as normal reels. My President LE is 6.4:1 or something like that and I always have to double check that I'm not running baits way too fast. 7.1:1 is normally considered high speed. 9.1:1 will be strange unless you use that reel exclusively and really get used to it.

Looks like those reels go for $299 tho, not $400 like Amazon says. It is a nice reel, but there is a reason the 9.1:1 is $100 less than regular speed models. If you think you can deal, go for it.

>>724005
>zillion stinks
Because he just bought a Tatula
>>
>>724010
Yeah you're right it probably would be way to fast for me. They have a lower ratio ones for about the same price. Amazon has some really good deals on reels. I still don't know what the hell I want. I'm leaning towards the Revo or the Lews. I'll wait until I can look at them in person. I wish they'd offer more colors. It bothers my tism when my rod and reel don't match, but I don't normally let that get in the way of what I buy.
>>
>>724006
Lews ain't owned by purefishing but they outsource the reels to the same factory.
>>724005
The tatula zillion is not a faithful render of the zillion heritage. It's big and bulky and the free-floating spool doesn't do shit since the base tatula does so well. It's not worth the extra price.
>>724010
Maybe I should start tripping if you can already tell who I am by text.
>>
>>724000
cheap baitcaster consistantly casting to the left with light ish lure
>>
>>724015
Yeah that Revo I have is black and red while the rod is black and gold. It should be on a black and red Abu rod like the Vendetta or Veracity but I got such a good deal on the Johnny Morris rod as well as the reel so I didn't care. My white Okuma reel on the orange Lightning Rod is an eyesore but whatever.

The Revo S is white and that would look real nice on a Veritas ($100) rod. They kinda make em to match. Not sure what the Revo STX would look good on. Does it have some red on it? That could match the Vendetta ($80), Veracity ($150), or even Ugly Stik ($40). Or there is the Abu Ike rods that are purple and won't match with shit.
>>
>>724017
I do that too. It isn't just a "cheap baitcaster" thing. Something with the lure having to overcome the momentum of the spool rather than just rolling off the top like on a spinning reel. You have to release a bit earlier.
>>
>>724019
i tried , took 2dozen casts, every one went quite let
>>
>>724022
How heavy is the lure? Is your spool tension set properly? If you are used to spinning reels, it takes a little bit to get used to it. If you are casting 30* to the left every time like me, just aim ~30* to the right and let 'er rip.
>>
>>724022

Doing multiple casts doesn't mean you're doing it right...
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 640x1136px
>>724018
I already have 3 ugly stiks, but I kind of want a nicer rod. There's some st. Croix (I think) rods that are kinda greyish that match the lews I'm looking at for about $125 and my local gander.

The stx I was looking at was just silver and black so it would look alright on any black or white rod.
>>
>>724031
Just make sure you read all the reviews on Dick's, Cabela's, and Bass Pro if you find a reel you like. Anything that runs that much better have excellent reviews.

I wonder if you can find any Johnny Morris Carbonlite rods like mine. It was last year's model but would match that Lew's reel in the pic perfectly. And if you can find one, you will probably get a steal on it.

Can't go wrong with a St. Croix tho.
>>
Hello. I am Mr. Memecaster. If you have questions about memecasters, pls ask.
>>
>>724027
i neer said i was its my irst time using a memecaster in quite a while and i still need to get used to it, that being said i did try to cast to the right
>>
>>724035
whats the let hand retrieve one, id like one, especially i it has the flipping switch what is gud cheap meme caster in let hand retrieve and flippin switch
>>
>>724034
>Johnny Morris Carbonlite
That's a bass pro thing right? I really don't like buying certain things online that I haven't seen/felt before so I'd want to go to the store first and see.
>>
>>724038
Daiwa lexa 100. Flipping switches are mostly found on quantum reels, and I have never used a flipping switch. A daiwa exceler would be a great starting reel, although there is no flipping switch on it.
>>
>>724042
actually i dont even need flippind switch if i have left hand retrieve
>>
>>724039
Yeah it is the Bass Pro one. The newer models are white instead of like carbon and gold. Def higher end rods. Made me a believer in their store brand stuff as much as I really like all the regular brands. I don't hesitate to reccommend the Johnny Morris stuff to people after getting that rod and seeing the other Johnny Morris rods and reels. Def higher quality stuff and you get a lot for your money.

Like I said, can't go wrong with St. Croix either. Take a look at some of those Abu rods too. I have two Abu rods and wouldn't think twice about getting another. Even their cheaper ones don't feel like cheap rods when you feel the action.
>>
>>724042
and what would be a decent reel to pair with ecveler
>>
>>724048
The daiwa exceler is a reel.
>>
>>724035
what do you think of the quantum smoke inshore? got one arriving this week, got a good deal on it and it seems like a great little reel
>>
>>724049
rod, am tired as fuck
>>
>>724050
I have heard good things about the higher end quantums. I held and casted one of my friends 1st generation quantum smoke, and it was a blast. I think you will be happy with your purchase.
>>724051
Lol, what's your price range?
>>
>>724054
about -30 dollars since the reel you sugested is 100 dollars, im poor guess il stick to spinning
>>
>>724054
Thanks, I was a bit worried because it was a drunken online impulse buy (free rod, $50 price drop and the last one they had in stock) and normally I don't buy any tackle without doing a shitload of research and heading down to the tackle shop and seeing the gear in person.
>>
>>724056
Yeah baitcasters get pricey. Like $50 is a starting point for anything that will actually cast.

>>724050
Those Smoke reels, casting and spinning, do look nice. A couple of Quantum's cheaper reels don't have the greatest reviews but the Smoke line seems to be nice.
>>
>>724056
You should always look at ebay/amazon for good deals. You can find the exceler for around 60-75. Although you definitely get more bang for your buck with spinning tackle.
>>
>>724047
Fugggg the nearest bass pro to me is an hour away. I might make a trip in a couple weekends. It doesn't look like they have the older Johnny Morris rods on the website so I don't know if they stock them... It'd be kind of a bummer to go all that way and them not have it. I'll swing by the gander mountain on my way home from work and look at the reels/poles they have there.
>>
>>724059
i guess il work with my cheap as fuck right hand retrieve
>>
>>724063
Nah they probably won't have them in stock anymore. They went on clearance in January and they were all gone real fast. I looked at eBay really quick and they had some used ones but I don't think you want to go that route so I didn't even bother linking them.

>>724064
Too bad you can't switch em like spinning reels. Are you a lefty? Because lefty models and high speed reels are the ones you can find steals on sometimes. You could always look for more affordable modles like Daiwa Lagunas or Abu Black/Silver Max on Amazon or eBay and see if something pops up.
>>
>>724069
im right handed but reel with my left hand ( spinning rod) i t feels weird as fuck to switch hands to me tso i think i would prefer lefthand retrieve
>>
>>724069
>I looked at eBay really quick and they had some used ones but I don't think you want to go that route so I didn't even bother linking them.

Yeah unless there's just some super good deals then I probably wouldn't order one. I'm sure I'd like it once I got it, but I just have this mental thing where Id want to see it in person before I buy one.
>>
>>724072
Everywhere carries the Black Max and Silver Max reels so just look for those at any place that sells tackle if you want to check them out. And anywhere that carries lots of Daiwa stuff should have Lagunas. If anything, they would have a Laguna baitcaster combo.

I always forget too, that Okuma Stratus V spinning reel I have, they also make a baitcaster that is only $40 or $50. If the baitcaster is anywhere as nice as the spinning reel I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. You could probably find a deal for one of those online or if Dick's has another sale like when I got my Stratus V spinning reel for $30.

I actually read some of the reviews for the Okuma baitcaster too and the consensus seemed to be it doesn't feel like a $100+ reel, but you sure get a lot for your money at $40.
>>
>>724069
>>724072
Oh shit there's one for $35 plus $10 shipping. I might do that if I like the reel.

>>724070
I used to think that too, but once I used one I liked it a lot. I almost like my memecaster more than my spinning reels.
>>
File: Reel Chart.jpg (269KB, 1920x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Reel Chart.jpg
269KB, 1920x1500px
>>724070
Look up the Daiwa Exceler or the Speed Spool LFS on ebay. Both come in under 85 in left hand retrieve models. That or you can always go into a store and grab a house brand.

Rate my chart so far. I have a feeling 2 japanese companies are over represented.
>>
>>724082
Kinda hard to rate low profile ones against regular casting reels imho.

>>724081
What reel? If it's a Black Max or something, don't do it. You can grab them for $40 or $50 from Walmart or any retailer and Silver Max are $60 but you can grab em on sale for $50 of you catch it at the right time.
>>
>>724070

Yeah I want to give whoever normalized right handed reeling for righties a good smack. It makes no sense to me to not hold the rod with your dominant hand.
>>
>>724091
You think I should segregate by price as well? Hard to define "performance"
>>
>>724092
I don't quite understand it either. When I bought my first baitcaster I thought I accidentally bought a lefty model. I have gotten use to it by now but I still don't like having to switch hands after I cast.

There has to be a reason for it though. Maybe it's easier to play with the drag star or other stuff when reeling in a big fish. Don't some of the bigger traditional castinf reels not have a level wind where you have to guide the line yourself? Could stem from that.
>>
>>724095
A lot of guys use right handed reels for power fishing techniques. If I was throwing a big swimbait or jigging in the ocean I would buy a right handed reel. Maybe it had something to do with that?
>>
>>724091
>What reel?
We were talking about rods lol. I saw one of those Johnny Morris ones for $35

>>724082
Fucking kek
>>
>>724094
Idk. You're the one in charge. I would probably look at some reviews and then kinda do it as just the reccommended or main reels in each price bracket and then just add what special features they have. It's hard to really name a best reel in each price range since they all compete with eachother so closely. Most just have a feature or two that sets them apart from the other brands and models and so much of it is preference on what kind of brakes, weight, spool, winding system, or whatever you like.
>>
>>724101
Oh, that's real straight. Link to the rod?
>>
>>724103
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Pro-Shops-Johnny-Morris-Carbonlite-Casting-Rod-Med-Hvy-/281981477199?nav=SEARCH

I might grab it either way. Unless you do first lol.
>>
>>724102
Yeah I'm going to segregate by price. Some of this stuff is autistic and obscure, plus it would be good to post in response to a question.
>>
>>724095

I don't know or care what some retarded marketers reasoning is. If a company doesn't have a left handed retrieve model (with the right features and such) than I won't buy their shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 640x1136px
>>724104
Nah I think I saw that one. As long as the tip repair is decent and you don't mind, that will be a real nice rod for the money. I wonder what this is in the pic tho. Bottom grip looks like something is on there. Hopefully that is straight.
>>
>>724111
I didn't even notice the sellers notes. I probably won't buy it. It's already sketchy to me to buy one online, let alone one that's been repaired.
>>
>>724082
>No shimano curado

The curado is literally the most used low profile baitcaster in saltwater in the US.
>>
>>724124
shit nigga it's not even done
>>
>>723827
Thanks Pep. I'll check out this hike-in unstocked lake and see what happens.
>>
>>724136
Sometimes those lakes are great too because if not many people ever fish at em, the fish aren't real picky about lure choice and will hit anything that goes past them. Always depends on the season and weather n stuff too but good luck.
>>
>>724080

I have the okuma stratus v baitcaster and prefer it to the black max.

Its just a smoother reel, and i like that the drag star clicks.

Also, my black max started spooling line on the right side of the spool more than the left. The fuck is that? It did it with two different types of line.
>>
>>724146
It would be an issue with the level wind mechanism, possibly from the gearing not running smoothly due to a burr or something similar
>>
>>724146
you may need to flush out the worm gear the controls the levelwind. A single grain of sand in there can cause uneven winding. May also need to check the space between the spool and the frame. Another stopgap solution is to put a shim on the spool shaft on the opposite side of the line pile up to even it out.
>>
>>724139
I was kind of counting on that. I don't carry much when I'm backpacking. I appreciate the well-wishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
The striper were nowhere to be found, so I went over to my smelt spot and caught a couple. Here's a big smelt next to a normal smelt
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
I also snagged this poor little cabezon.
>>
These threads are dangerously close to becoming tripfag circlejerks.
>>
>>724220
This desu
>>
File: P3280010a.jpg (3MB, 3906x2916px) Image search: [Google]
P3280010a.jpg
3MB, 3906x2916px
To break up the tripfag monotony, here's a 50cm flathead I caught today. This is prime eating size, and he's now in my fridge.
>>
>>724000
Going to NOLA. Atlanta, NYC and Toronto are the most common layover towns.
Hows the weather down in october?

>>723993
Leerfish? Id love me some of that.
>>
File: 20160326_140623.jpg (4MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160326_140623.jpg
4MB, 2560x1920px
Rate my barbel lads. Was around 3kg
>>
>>724220
Yeah enough with the tripfags
I'm okay with one or two major content contributors having a trip (pepsifag) but jesus fuck we don't need this many.
>>
>>724352
Who fucking caresit promotes quality contribution
>>
Another failed attempt at sunrise fishing today. Had to be up all late after my friend up in Chicago texts me out of nowhere telling me he's gonna hang himself. He is pissed as fuck because the cops and paramedics took him to the hospital for a couple days.

>>724220
There's only like 3 tripfags and a bunch of namefags. And if anything, these are the threads where it should be used.

>>724276
Should be decent in Octoboer. Atlanta and New Orleans won't be sweaty hellholes hopefully and it should be 50F-60F in NY and Toronto.
>>
File: image.jpg (307KB, 1019x1181px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307KB, 1019x1181px
>>724352
>3 tripfags
Yuro, Maine, and me

And why is it ok for me to be a tripfag but nobody else? I'm the worst one with it. I leave the trip on when there is absolutely no reason to have it on.
>>
>>724362
It really doesn't, it promotes thread celebrities and off-topic discussion
>>
>>724379
Because these anti-tripfag discussions are on topic and contribute so much to the thread and board
>>
File: t10.png (2MB, 1475x833px) Image search: [Google]
t10.png
2MB, 1475x833px
>>724381
just ignore him.
>>
>>723879
Im a huge fan of chicken liver you can get a container from a grocery store for around 3$. Just make sure you hook it through the white membrane or you will have a hard time keeping it on the hook. Good luck bud
>>
>>724035
What do you think about about a curado/st. Croix memecaster combo?
>>
>>724403
>Shimano/St. Croix

Not him but I see no issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Finally taking advantage of this week off work. Gonna try to get to that Bass Pro that carries the Blue Fox spinners.
>>
>>724409
Ok well is there a combo you could recomend for around 250-300$?
>>
>>724290
yuro/10
>>724369
i thought i counted four once
>>
>>724409
Also i appreciate the reply!
>>
File: t14.png (3MB, 1483x831px) Image search: [Google]
t14.png
3MB, 1483x831px
>>724419
>i thought i counted four once
there is more than four. I welcome them all; The more the merrier.

for anyone down south, please tell mr salty bass to hurry the fuck up and come hang out up north.
>>
>>724415
Anything in that range will be nice. I don't think you can go wrong with the Curado and St. Croix. Daiwa and Abu reels in that range will be nice too.

And as always, if you have a Bass Pro near you, I would reccommend taking a look at the new Johnny Morris combos. They are really nice and if you buy one of the combos it is going to compete with stuff far above its price range for sure.
>>
>>724423
i was just trying to say he forgot me.
>>
>>724438
You're not a tripfag tho
>>
>>724442
hes namefag, basically the samething man though i dont mind you guys
>>
>>724419
Is fluke?
>>
>>724446
Not the same bruv
>>
>>724276
It's a pompano fish.
>>
>>724448
He's a namefag too
>>
>>724250
I watch john skinner videos of him catching these like it was the easiest thing in the world.

I really hope to catch a few this summer; but I rarely see them caught in my bay.
>>
>>724423
Buzzards Bay water temp still 42F. No gain this week.
Ponds are up to 45-47F
>>
File: image.jpg (209KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
209KB, 640x1136px
Almost at the other Bass Pro that carries the Blue Fox spinners...
>>
>>724452
I should start name fagging then
>>
>>724455
yup; still got a few more weeks before the fish start filing in.

I'm new to the stretch of water that I have access to, it's a bit different than I'm used to fishing further up the river so I've been taking a few hours each week to walk around at different tides, getting a feel for the current and bottom structure, yesterday was spent getting a feel for top water current at different tide intervals with heavy popper. There are a few large eddies at my river side stretch, which is extremely promising.
>>
>>724454
john catches fluke, what is pictured is a dusky or Flathead
>>
>>724459
ah I had to enlarge it, I got confused.

what species is a dusky or flathead? catfish? I don't know shit about catfish.
>>
>>724460
pretty sure theyre an aus fish, im rfrom northeast usa as well so im not quite sure that im 100 percent right
>>
>>724426
I have a bass pro near me so i will check out the johnny morris combos. Would be nice to save some extra coin im looking to get into fly fishing.
>>
>>724460
>>724466
Flathead is a catfish Idk about dusky
>>
will ask once again, i have $70 to spend at cabellas (giftcard ) and need to know what get? il end up spending it all on soft plastics ( since m y cart is already $35 o f soft plastics ) most of my fishing is for bass, panish, trout etc
>>
>>724475
get something you have never used before
>>
>>724471
i dont know where i got that from, thought i heard them refered to that before
>>
>>724475
You could stock up on hooks/weights. Spinnerbaits are good, inline or traditional. Maybe some spoons if you wanna try that.
>>
>>724478
like? i just started using crankbaits etc this year, though im not sure i could immagine something i havent used , i found a neat soft plastic ive never seen anything like im going to try
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>724468
Pic related. The rods are really nice too and you can save a few $$ if you grab a combo.

>>724475
Rapala X-Raps. Also Rapala SkitterPops. But grab a couple X-Raps for sure.
>>
>>724479
A quick google shows that Flathead Dusky are a type of saltwater fish found near Australia. There's also flathead catfish, which are found in America, but idk if they're in other countries across the pond.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>724481
Just grabbed another X-Rap today. I have never tried these shallow diving ones, all the other ones I have are the traditional suspending ones.

Blue Fox bro would be proud.
>>
>>724480
ive always been a big an of spoons , bought some spoons and spinners with the first $30 of the $100 gift card im going to be getting a pack of hooks (60 something hooks of the kind i use most often) included, i have a shit ton of split shots already il get some jig heads i forgot about those >>724484
i honestly have a bunch o rapala type baits and havent had a ton o luck with them in the recent years
>>
>>724484
They look sharp, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>724491
Maybe some hollow body frogs/mice if you want try some top water
>>
>>724491
I still say a tackle bag then. And you must be fishing in puddles if you can't catch stuff on Rapalas.

What about topwater? I never had luck with poppers until I started fishing with those Skitter Pops by Rapala. Brown frog and firetiger have been killing it in the late afternoon and early evening.
>>
>>724499
i do need a frog or two, havent seen any decent mice lure though i may try to tie some >>724500
im going to rig up a backpack also most ponds i fish arent huge, i remember 5 years ago jointed rapalas were the shit, then they fell out, then for about a year, it was red surgical tubing that killed the bass, then or 2 years black rubber worms that wer the shit
>>
>>724501
There's also the special fishing backpacks that are made to hold 3600 soze boxes. Just a thought. But SkitterPops have been the only popper I have ever caught stuff with and they are my go-to at dusk and dawn when the water is fairly calm and I can see the bass jumping or baitfish near the surface.
>>
>>724501
>havent seen any decent mice lure though

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Livetarget-reg-Field-Mouse/1306884.uts
>>
>>724507
id rather make one out of an old pack i already have, since i dont even know if il really like that idea
>>
>>724509
10 dollars or a lire thats going to get the shit chewed out of it by pickerel is rough man
>>
>>724516
I guess. They are pretty nice tho. I bought one for my lil bro. It holds 3-4 3600 boxes in the bottom that load from the front, then a big insulated section on top for the main big area, then a bunch of smaller pockets all over and it's designed specifically for fishing so everything makes sense.
>>
>>724522
Oh I didn't think about that. I don't have the toothy fish near me. Bass is about the only thing that would go for that or maybe a starving cat where I am. It swims really well though.
>>
>>724527
yeah, im going to have to make a rod holder etc as well i actually like having projects like that to do >>724530
does it? maybe il consider it, pickerel are eating up all my soft plastics latley
>>
>>724522
I have one of the LiveTarget frogs. Nothing great about it for the price. Same with the crank baits.
>>
>>724532
>does it?
Yeah the tail kinda sways, it wobbles from side to side, and it keeps it's head out of the water. It looks pretty real to me.

>>724534
I agree the frogs are kinda meh. I got a few because they were on sale and they look neat.
>>
>>724539
id try one for 4-5 not much more just because its goin g to get chewwed to sht
>>
>>724220
For real.

>post pictures of fish
>nobody says anything
>more talk about a Sienna reel or some shit a post later

Sigh.
>>
>>724250
Looks like Jar Jar Binks a little
>>
>>724550
>no one talks about the dink I caught.

Oh no! These threads are about all things fishing not just catching dinks.
>>
File: 20150619_223534-1.jpg (2MB, 1579x2276px) Image search: [Google]
20150619_223534-1.jpg
2MB, 1579x2276px
Blurry picture but heres a striper hybrid i caught. Swallowed the jig on me
>>
>>723984
You can cast further with practice, but that's more a function of proper technique, the larger line capacities of baitcasters and the extra length of most casting rods. Given similar rod lengths and actions, both baitcasters and spinning reels cast about the same distance. There's a little less friction with the baitcaster because the line isn't always rubbing up against the edge of the stationary spool when casting, but that differential might only equal a couple of extra yards on the end of a very long cast.
If your form is flawless and your equipment is matched up right, you'll notice the extra distance. If your form and equipment aren't as good, it'll be a wash.
>>
>>724568
Was that salt or fresh? Looks fat.

>>724550
You'll survive even if we didn't acknowledge whather you posted. We don't care about fishing around here, just tripfags and their tackle collections.
>>
>>724585
Its a freshwater fish i caught it out of a local lake
>>
>>724017
You're probably throwing too light a lure for the rod and it's not loading properly.
You're probably tying to compensate for this by throwing harder, but your thumb can't keep up and you're letting go too late.
>>
when pickerel fishing, i also target perch, crappie, and bass, all of wich are being somewhat finicky this time o f year ive been using 8 lb mono, but have been losing lures, to the toothey critters, should i switch to a foot long leader of 20 lb mono , a 6 inch section of wire, or 15 ( it may be 12) pound flouro, i normally dont like using flouro due to how fast it sinks,
>>
How do you guys cast light lures like mepps spinners far?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
First catch on the Blue Fox. Water must be getting warmer if these guys are biting again.

>>724586
Decent

>>724596
Use a light enough line and heavy enough lure.
>>
>>724596
Use a light setup or put a split shot on the line right by the spinner
>>
>>724596
For like an Agila size 0 I have a really light setup that works bretty good.
>>
>>724369
Why would you turn it off tho kek.

>>724423
Thats a neat ass pic, and a strong looking rod.

>>724456
That plane shouldnt be parked there... Maybe there is bass around it? :^)

>>724484
>>724490
Those maemaecasters look sexy as fuck.
The xrap is a lil stubby tho.

>>724603
Dad used to try split shots with light ass rapalas (back in the day when every fucking rapala was under 14 grams)
Couldnt cast them into the wind at all... Still caught fish tho.
>>
>>724092
It's actually the way it was originally designed nearly 200 years ago.

Way back in the bad old days, all the old reels were direct drive, so the handle would spin as it was cast. Naturally you wanted your hand out of the way so you wouldn't break fingers, and the easy solution was to put the handles on the right hand side. That way when you're casting the rod with your right hand you'd have the spinning handles off to the side where they wouldn't cause trouble, and switch hands to work the reel.
>>
>>724609
That X-Rap is a shallow diver, not a suspending one like the regular ones. I've never tried those so might as well give it a go.
>>
>>724100
That's part of it too.
When you're cranking in a huge fish that's putting, say, 40 pounds of force down your line and you've got to work your ocean reel that's heard at 3:1, you need to have 120 pounds of arm strength to work that crank.
If you're right handed-and most people are-there's only one place where they can get that force.
Your left hand can hold the rod against your body and use your body weight to turn the fish, but when you NEED to work that crank, it better be on the right side where your strong hand can work it.
>>
>>724448

Yeah im a filthy namefag. I post in these threads so frequently, i feel like its helpful.

>>724490

Awesome! Let me know what you think of them. I feel like they cast better than most lures that weigh 1/4oz.

I use a split ring to change out the hooks to sharper ones though.
>>
>>724609
Hey if it works roll with it, all you can do is try to keep the casts low
>>
>>724632
I agree that a 1/4oz inline does seem to cast better than most 1/4oz lures.

And the Blue Foxes seem decent. I got that Mayan cichlid on it and had a decent largemouth that jumped off into the weeds just as I was landing it.

I would probably still pick a dressed Agila over the Fox in most conditions. The natural skirts on the Mepps have a certain live action to them. I think the Blue Foxes would be decent at night or in super murky water.
>>
>>724591
Isn't flouro supposed to be resistant to scrapes and cuts because of how hard it is? That may not be true, double check before you take my word on it. And a foot long flouro leader won't sink enough to cause a real effect on the lure. When you spool the whole reel with flouro, that's when it makes a difference.

You could always do the wire too. I think some good 20lb flouro or even less should do the job. You just have to keep an eye on it between bites and put a new one on when needed.
>>
does anybody fly fish for bluegill or any small freshwater fish?
>>
>>724604
I wish I brought my ultralight combo with me today. There were so many small largemouth and all sorts of cichlids at that lake and they woulda loved a Mepps #0 or some small jigheads and 1.5" Gulp grubs.
>>
You all do more postin' then fishing.. Its like a new thread a day...
>>
>>724557
>>724585
Idgaf if you guys acknowledge my fish or not, but when there's 3-4 other anons doing the same thing it gets a little ridiculous.
>>
>>724682
I do more posting than catching for sure. I do more fishing than posting though I just suck at it and like to see what others are doing.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>724689
Here's your (you).

>>724682
Welcum tripfriend. I was just out there for a couple hrs and shitposting in between. Prolly gonna chill a couple hours and go back out around 5pm n see if I can get any dusk action.

>>724632
What are these little hooks for that come with the Blue Foxes? I was stoked at first because I thought maybe I could take the treble off and put the single hook with a little grub or minnow. I don't think that's the case though unless I somehow cut off the treble hook. Looks like it could just be a trailer behind the treble but that seems odd.
>>
>>724689
Where is the pic of your fish i cant find it?
>>
>>724720
Because he's anon so when he gets pouty that we didn't pay attention to him, we don't even know which posts were his.

Was it anon with all the yuro saltwater fish? If so, I rarely respond to those because I have no clue what they are. I think somebody posted a decent Pompano earlier. Those things look like a blast to catch just because of that body shape.
>>
>>724722
please stop.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 300x271px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 300x271px
>>723767
(You)
I still know nothing about saltwater but they look fun. What was it biting on?

>>723775
(You)
Is that the same thing as above? Never gotten a trout before. Would love to have a nice clean river or something with loads of pretty trout like that.

>>723790
(You)
It's interesting how that one had the nice distinct line down the side. Largemouth I got up north always had colors like that. The ones I get down here just seem to be real dark on top and the markings aren't nearly as visible. I'm trying to think if that is the difference between largemouths and Florida bass or if it is just kinda a genetic thing.

>>723993
(You)
Are the snook normally out in the ocean a lil or more in the intercoastal or inlets? I always thought that was one of those fish that you catch inland a little bit when the tide is bringing baitfish in. Also what did you catch the pompano on?

>>724727
(You)
Just tryin to catch up with errybody. Maybe we can get some /out/ trophies for participation. Anon was the one to bring it up in the first place so don't be salty about it. Gotta act a lil childish right back at anon.
>>
>>724722
I dont know which posts were his either but i feel bad for making anon feel left out. I dont know salt water fishing at all im the furthest you can be away from the ocean.
>>
thinking im going to get both the mystery tackle box and luck tackle box for $5 each, for $10 what cango wrong?
>>
>>724752
forgot to add, please post pics of what you have gotten if you have done either of them
>>
>>724742
Snook come near bridges and piers to prey on bait fish.

http://www.docsgoofyjigs.com/pages/g3jig.aspx

This is what I used for the pompano.

Just about every bait shop in florida sells these things. The best color is yellow with a pink teaser. You'll need the heavier ones (3/4 to 1oz) for pier fishing due to the heavy current.
>>
File: dabend.png (3MB, 1901x1075px) Image search: [Google]
dabend.png
3MB, 1901x1075px
rainy and cold day.
still had a blast.
>>
File: dafish.png (5MB, 1905x1071px) Image search: [Google]
dafish.png
5MB, 1905x1071px
>>724760
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This was your doing, pepsi. This better work.
>>
>>724772
I just caught >>724763 with an inline spinner; They catch most anything.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>724757
Snook go for those jigs too? What kind of rod, reel, and line are you running with those? Techniques and tide times? If I can actually have some luck with lures I would totally go down to the inlet and toss some stuff. Any trailers or anything on the jigs?

>>724752
Pic related was the March Bass MTB. My February one was the "Pro" box so there is a bit extra. I still gotta remember to upgrade my April box before it's too late. The extra $10 is worth it as long as they send stuff I will actually use.
>>
>>724772
>he bought a memepps

They don't work in my lake no matter how I fish them. Maybe they'll work out for you.
>>
>>724776
>Snook go for those jigs too?

No, that's just the lure I use for pompano. Don't use a trailer but do get one with the fly teaser. Your best bet to get them is dawn and dusk. Just let the goofy jig sink to the bottom, pull up your rod tip fast and let it sink. Reel in the slack and do it again in 5-10 second intervals. Literally everyone at the pier uses those goofy jigs, they're even more effective than shrimp. The only frozen bait better for pompano is sand fleas.
>>
>>724777
That's probably because your lake is overfished with people using them
>>
>>724776
for $5 what you got seems decent , think il do it, same thing with lucky tackle box, if i like wha i get from both il cancel both of them and maybe do it again with both at family or friends shipping address
>>
>>724507
That's when I reach for my Jitterbugs

>>724550
What are we going to say about your fish?
>yep, that's a fish

Meanwhile, what can we say to the guy who wants to buy a rig for $50?
>hey get X
>no that's shit, get Y instead
>you're both retards, OP should look at Z

It's the nature of the beast that threads like this gravitate towards gear. After all, who here doesn't think they know how to catch the fish that are biting around them?
>>
>>724596
Ultralight rod and reel
If you're using heavier tackle than that you'll need to get a heavier spinner to throw it any real distance.
>>
>>724460
Sorry for the late reply. Dusky flathead are an Australian species, not related to catfish at all. They're one of the most popular targets around the southern half of Australia because they'll happily eat just about any lure you put in front of them and they taste great.
>>
>>724742
I lulz'd

If you're upgrading MTB you need to do it in the next few days...
>>
>>724753
I do MTB trout and LTB Inshore ($5 upcharge on that). Want pics? Ill post again...
>>
>>724813
sure atleast the trout one, but may as well post both
>>
so first time on /out/
can anyone recommend me a good pair of sunglasses for fishing that can have prescription with them? i dont wear contacts and the glare i get with these "wear-over" sunglasses is horrible.
>>
>>724701

You need a split ring. I just cut the old treble with a pair of cutters. It would help make it more weedless and easier to remove from the fish.

I don't use em though, but i do add better treble hooks.
>>
File: revos.png (132KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
revos.png
132KB, 495x495px
2 days but lefty
>>
File: image.jpg (434KB, 1935x1290px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
434KB, 1935x1290px
Too many goddamn washers tryin to take these reels apart and lube them. Lost one for the President LE for a second. That was fun. I better get back to the lake soon if I'm gonna do it tonight.

>>724772
I woulda gone dressed but that will work anyway. Not the best in super clear water on bright sunny days, but other than that you're good to go.

>>724794
I ended up doing 3mos so it was like $33 with the discount. But I mean there is normally at least a crankbait in there worth $11 so everything else is just a bonus. And when I did the $10 extra for the "Pro" box, I got two really nice cranks plus a bunch of other stuff. Pic is the pro box.

>>724809
I know I waited too long last time.
>>
>>723371

I finally said fuckit with the cost of lures, and bought casting and coating kit to make my own. Figure a powder coated lead weedless jig head and soft plastic lure body now cost me about 25p all in. Not bad for a £100 initial outlay; I can lose that value in lures over one Summer.
>>
>>724763
That's a cool fish
>>
File: MTB_IMG_0706.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
MTB_IMG_0706.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>724813
MTB trout March
>>
File: MTB_IMG_0707.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
MTB_IMG_0707.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>724856
and
>>
File: LTBIMG_0705.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
LTBIMG_0705.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
LTB Inshore March
>>
>>724849
Ahh nice. Were you the anon debating memecasters the other day? What rod you putting it on?

Somebody here has the S. I have the SX and it seems nice from what I can tell. So smooth and quiet.
>>
>>724853
That sounds nice as long as it isn't too time consuming. It's amazing what a 4pk of nice jigheads and a 6pk of good hooks can run.

I still kinda want to buy that inline spinner building kit just so I can make shit with willow blades and baitholder hooks and run little soft minnows and grubs off the back.
>>
>>724849
Hey that's pretty good
>>
Man, I just can't work out shore fishing.
>Spend entire day fishing the shore of a local lake
>Zero bites, no fish
>Spend 2 hours fishing same lake off shore in raft
>Catch 8 bass
Why can't I catch shit from the shore?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Aww yeah, you know what time it is...
>>
>>724898

Bruh wheres the sword?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>724901
Fuck... I forgot it at home.

This was on a Blue Fox too. I think every snakehead I have ever caught has been on an inline.

Also new thread comin at 310.

Don't jump the gun at 300 YuroFan.
>>
>>724876
No I'm still trying to decide between that one and the Lews.
>>
File: trout.jpg (52KB, 776x1034px) Image search: [Google]
trout.jpg
52KB, 776x1034px
>>724720
>>724722
I don't feel left out, I just wish there was more discussion about the fish in general. My trout were tiny little shits but contributing is contributing.

Dunno why this thread got derailed so hard for it, just talk fishing you salty shits.
>>
>>724930
>>724926
New thread goys
>>
>>724937
You aren't the boss of me.
>>
>>724403

Curado is awesome, I love mine. From what I understand you don't lose much of anything going with Citica, though. Still shopping for a good rod to pair mine with, just have it on an old Shakespeare for the moment.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.