[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MOUNTAIN BIKING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 17

does /out/ bike? preferably on rough terrain
>>
>>684266
It's probably my most frequent /out/ activity
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>684266
I took my BMX bike out to Colorado a couple of times and took it down some double black diamond trails. I was passing up people on real mountain bikes, especially going through the twistt parts in the woods.

My hands hurt like hell by the end of the trails though. 110psi tires and no suspension isn't the greatest on rocky trails.
>>
>>684274
Yeah some people (while potentially being a very strong rider endurance-wise) have very little basic bike control skills. When i ride with my friends we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Luckily it all usually evens out by the end of the ride even if there's alot of rubberbanding in between.
>>
>>684292
>rubberbanding
what's this?

also pic related. i do some ruff trails, there's some river valleys and state parks that aren't really meant for bikes but i do them because they're doable
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 870x380px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 870x380px
>>684292
Well when you go from riding pic related to a public trail (even the most difficult ones) it isn't exactly that challenging. They are fun though.

I stayed in Breckenridge the few times I was there and rode those trails a lot. But the one day I went to Vail, those were some fun trails. There is a section where you are basically riding in a valley between the sides of two hills, and this valley is downhill the entire time so you get moving good. The trail curves back and forth across the little valley and there are birms that go about 20' up the hill on either side. I wish I had a pic, those were so fun to ride. My favorite part about those trails.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 604x453px
>>684308
Also, I knew thay trail in Vail was going to fun from the beginning. As soon as I saw the sign for that trail off the road, there was a ~8' drop that was logs stacked almost 90* straight up and it goes into the woods. Immediately after that big drop, there is a hard right turn and if you fuck up the drop ot the turn, you would go straight down some hill with a bunch of trees and bushes.
>>
>>684305
like we all get spread out due to differing skills, but we also end up up bunched together later, usually at the top before the next downhill section
>>
>>684317
oh ok, i getcha now. thanks!
>>
Downhill biking is where it's at
>>
I need a helmet. :[

I do 50% innacity and 50% mountain/trails. I don't want to sound like one of those /fa/posters but is there a helmet that can protect my noodle in the bush without embarassing me when I cycle to work?
>>
File: 225x225_46106.jpg (27KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
225x225_46106.jpg
27KB, 225x225px
>>684437
I like skate/bmx style helmets Protec and Kali have some good helmets in this catagory. If you want to be all /fa/ hipster Bern is pretty good too

>>>/n/
they'll help you out too. But they'll argue autistically about what minor differences make one better than the other
>>
>>684437
You could just wear a full face and purposely look dirty as fuck in general bike clothing and people will just think your coming back from some ride, than just change at work
>>
File: DSCN7629.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7629.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Right now I'm riding my fatbike.
>>
>>684437
Probably something more enduro looking, like the Giro Montaro or the Bell Stoker.

Theres also a newer range of helmets that have a detachable chin guard so you can have effectively a fullface for downhilling and an open face for riding back up.
>>
File: Picture or Video 045.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Picture or Video 045.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
i have a cheapo mountain bike that i have upgraded as its broken, been working pretty good now
>i rigged an old skateboard backpack to hold fishing rods, a small cooler, and a tackle box and i use my bike to get to really remote fishing spots
>>
>>684600
That seat looks like its tilted waaaay too far back, the nose isn't meant to go inside your asshole you know?
>>
>>684602
its pretty close to flat, i rode bmx for years with a tilted seat and never got it in the ass, maybe its just something that happens to you?
>>
>>684604
Didn't mean to sound like a dick, just looks pretty uncomfortable and I know a lot of people have really poorly setup bikes
>>
File: IMG_1461.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1461.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
I don't mountain bike to do jumps or anything, just as a means of getting around without the truck. Pretty cheap pawn shop bike in my pic.
>>
File: brapp.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
brapp.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
Yea
>>
>>684649
sweet pic
>>
File: 206_orig.jpg (201KB, 1100x731px) Image search: [Google]
206_orig.jpg
201KB, 1100x731px
>>684266
Yip, & it was a great way to get around after that earthquake in NZ when the roads were choked with traffic and dust... of course I moved to a flat floodplain after, but there aren't any giant boulders chasing me down the hills :D
>>
>>>/n/
>>
>>685149
full of thin tires
>>
I race mtb, cx and road. Love going out on long mtb rides though. stoked to do a lot when I live in Canada next year.

>>684305
Where you at?
>>684649
unfff. This in the Canadian rockies? Alberta?
>>
File: 20150919_111025.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150919_111025.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
>>686718

>This in the Canadian rockies? Alberta?

Yeah, just outside Canmore.
>>
>>686741
holy fuck that looks amazing. For some reason I said in my head "probably canmore". Can't wait to ride all that. I'm going to UCalgary next year so that will be just a short drive away. doable on a XC bike for the most part?

adding to my wallpaper folder.
>>
File: SHNF.jpg (548KB, 1080x1845px) Image search: [Google]
SHNF.jpg
548KB, 1080x1845px
is it okay if my bike has a motor on it
>>
File: 20151220_143501.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151220_143501.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>686743

Depends on what/where you ride. Those pics I posted are from scrambling trails which pretty much means carrying the bike up and riding down, it can be pretty dangerous even on a beefy HT. Even most of the "XC" trails are extremely rocky and rooty, I'm sure they wouldn't be much fun on a skinny tire XC hardtail bike. Get the biggest tires you can fit and you should be okay on most stuff. Even better if you got a full squish.
>>
>>686741
Hey the bfe bro!
I remember talking to you on /n/ ages ago and you recommended a dropper post for mine. Got one, love it!
>>
i dont want to start a thread but you guys know anthing about cycling across europe?
>>
>>687527
One of my professors did it. I can't offer any specifics but she seemed to make it sound like it was fairly easy to do. Most western European countries have extensive cycling infrastructure as well (especially Scandinavia, Netherlands, Belgium, etc)

I can ask her about it in detail if you want. She was also in Slovenia and Croatia, and she seemed to really love those counties.
>>
>>686749
I have a Specialized Epic, and I live in Colorado now... it handles pretty rocky stuff... but the stuff in your pic is pretty gnarly and I've been meaning to get a trail bike anyway.
>>
You do more damage to the environment in a day of riding than a foot hiker would do in a year. Please stay in the cities where you belong.
>>
>>689368

Naw, only when it's muddy, usually the trail is hard as concrete, bike tires don't do shit. The rock I ride has been there for 500 million years, it's withstood more force than my bike can exert on it.

A horse can do more damage in a day than hikers and bikers combined, so fuck horse riders more.

And you better be walking to every trail because driving damages the environment too.
>>
File: p5pb11453736.jpg (633KB, 1600x967px) Image search: [Google]
p5pb11453736.jpg
633KB, 1600x967px
I don't have any riding pics sadly, but here is my bike.
>>
>>684266
>obligatory video for this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYgAX6D43Q
>>
Total scrub here. I want to start biking in the woods, I like hiking but someitmes I wish I could go further in less time.

Being a cheap bastard with no knowledge on the appropriate kind of bike to get, any advice would be appreciated. Ill probably try to find something used on craigslist.

I have a wal-mart 'NEXT' bike that is in good condition but probably unsuitable, it has gears while some of the bikes posted ITT dont seem to have any
>>
>>689684
Do not use a NEXT bike. Find a used bike on craigslist, show us your options and we'll help you out.

Do not use the NEXT bike.
>>
>>689684
Get a hardtail, obviously. If you're new to mtb, you're going to crash, so don't get anything more than about $750. Learn some basic mtb skills like body positioning, manualing, cornering, descending, climbing, ect. Then upgrade parts of your bike depending on your need, but in this relative order: tires, grips, handlebars, pedals (go clipless once you're comfortable), seat (A dropper seat post is good if you're constantly changing the seat height)
>>
>>690000
quads of truth. the best thing is to just ride my man. ride.
>>
>>684575
Fatbikes are the fucking shit. I got a Mongoose Vinson.

>mfw we've only had like 3 inches of snow. >Fcuing chink pollution
>>
>>691327
fug, only 1327 posts in 46 hours? jesus this is the slowest fucking board.
>>
File: 1444463955642.jpg (16KB, 250x180px) Image search: [Google]
1444463955642.jpg
16KB, 250x180px
>>691356
Some of us spend more time doing things other than posting on bhutanese knife websites.
>>
>>691356
I like it sometimes. We have a decent group of people in the fishin' threads and they stay up for a few days. So when I work a 12hr day, the thread will still be alive when I get home and I can read through it.

/o/ is a little faster, but you can normally post something, go to sleep, and it will be there the next morning. Only problem is the Yuros and Aussies shitting up the threads while us 'Murricans sleep.
>>
>>691357
that's true, it is /out/ after all. I am /out/ the majority of my time, but it's too bad good disgusion is so slow. I suppose that's the setback of a quality board.
>>691359
I agree. I only use relatively slow boards as well, so I will make a thread and go to sleep and see what's unfolded over night.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.