[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any luck growing exotic fruits? I dont mean just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: Asimina_triloba3.jpg (2MB, 2700x1776px) Image search: [Google]
Asimina_triloba3.jpg
2MB, 2700x1776px
Anyone have any luck growing exotic fruits? I dont mean just the mini lemon trees you can get at a store (though I do have one of them, and I love it). I was thinking of trying to grow things like Pawpaw or black sapote; fruits just I can't find anywhere.

Do ANY of you have experience with growing those-or any other fruits-indoors? Living in Michigan limits what I can grow; and while Pawpaw can grow outside here, most any other fruits cant.
>>
>>660332
Same exact problem, man, except I've moved across the river to Canada lately. Are you looking for novel flavor, or just a wildly exotic plant? If you just want something to look at, the Japanese fiber banana works in certain parts of Michigan. Actually, according to the USDA PLANTS database, figs grow wild in Macomb County, so that might be something to look at, too.

What part of Michigan are you in? Microclimates from cities and lakes can make a big difference for what you can grow outdoors, and you might be surprised at what you can do. I know someone in Fort Wayne (where winters are sometimes harder than Detroit) who grew kiwi fruit.
>>
>>660557>>660332

I'm in NY Zone 7, Kiwiberries grow incredibly well, but they take like 4 years to get any fruit from. as long as you keep them trellised, trimmed and watered, you get an incredible amount of fruit, they are tough, last year was the coldest winter we've had in a long while, hitting zero or below zero a few times, it didn't seem to bother the plant in the slightest.
>>
>>660557
Flavor, mostly. I'm trying to eat healthy, and the best way to encourage myself to do so is having plenty of tasty, nutritious things around to eat. So, plants that can offer delicious fruits just lying around growing by a sunny window or a short walk to the backyard is a great way to keep me from driving to the local gas station for snacks. Also, they add flavor to the healthy dishes I cook up.
>>
>>660575
I ducking LOVE kiwiberries. So difficult to find in stores, and really expensive. I might invest in one; 4 yrs isn't too bad.
>>
File: feit300w.jpg (41KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
feit300w.jpg
41KB, 480x480px
>>660332
indoor grow should be its own thread since most of >>654914 is indoor anyway
>
also started avocado and lemon for the time. im in zone 4b so ill be moving them in /out for summer winter
>>
>>660557
I'm zone 5B, Lansing area. Winter hasn't been too bad this year; glad I moved from Grand Rapids, they and the other cities closer to shore get an insane amount of snow.
>>
>>660732
I know how to grow plants indoors; I do it every year for my garden and I'm growing a calamondin right now too. I was hoping you guys might know WHICH exotics are suitable to indoors (ie, small enough to fit inside and happy to live in a pot) and where I could buy them.
>>
I grow paw paws, persimmons, and black cherry. Live in bluegrass region. Started indoors until they were each 4 to 6 ft tall, then transplanted. The cherry was the hardest, started with three only have two. These are all native species to ky, so the state actually sells them for like 4 bucks a plant.
>>
>>661331
That might be best; start indoors and baby them until they're big enough...hell, theirs even varieties of those same plants adapted to my climate. Cherries, especially, are real big around here. That'll probably be the easiest one to get and raise around here. Probably start wthe the cherry first.

You have any issues with paw paws not setting fruits? All the articles I've read say they have difficulties with pollination.
>>
I have a couple of baobab trees growing in pots. I move them inside during the winter to mimic the dry season. Protecting the trees from the cold is easy but keeping them healthy while dormant is difficult. I lost a third tree from the soil being too moist during the "dry season". I really just need a green house.
>>
>>661419
I haven't had any trouble with them, but am old dude in my neighborhood has bees so I often see them around the trees and my garden.
>>
I live in Wisconsin and am looking for a fruit bearing exotic plant as well. Someone should compile a list
>>
>>664203
Where do you find baobabs? I want one, do you grow it from seed or what?
>>
>>664857
sea buckthorn, honey berry, maybe pawpaw depending where you are in the state, and kiwi berry.
>>
>>664860
I started them all from seeds. If you're in the US, there's a few sellers on eBay. You will want the digitata species. Research how to start them. There's a trick to getting the seeds to sprout.
>>
>>665316
I looked them up, could I start them inside then just move them outside once summer hits? Or should I wait until summer to start them?
>>
>>665443
Start them late winter. They grow fast from the seeds and you don't want them thinking they sprouted during the dry season. They shed all their leaves in the winter. I'll post photos of mine later today.
>>
>>660332
Look up "banana circles," they're a solution to growing humidity loving plants in temperate to arid climates as a permaculture solution by providing localised humidity that the plants can utilise.

Been meaning to try it, but i've got some other garden stuff going at the moment, lots of seedlings and irrigation projects on the go.
>>
>>660704
Thimbleberries are interesting. They're only native to the UP and Maine. Basically, they're a kind of raspberry.

There are some funky-looking white strawberries that you can grow around here that allegedly taste like pineapple. Not too familiar with them, though.

I've heard that some black nightshade is edible, but I'm not sure. If you find a place that sells it, you might talk to them more. I'd do plenty of research, too.

Concord and Niagra grapes will grow well in Michigan. They're not the European vitis vinifera. They're vitis labrusca, which is native. There's nothing all that exotic about grapes and apples, though, I guess.

You could grow trifolate oranges, but they're not edible.

There are types of tea cultivated for their flowers that might grow in zone 5, but I'm not sure about this. And, there's also the fact that tea isn't a fruit.

That's about all I know.
>>
>>666029
Those Thimbleberries sound awesome. All the deliciousness of a raspberry without the thorns and some really attractive foliage. Will definitely look into it.
>>
>>665574
Where them baobabs at? I was hoping to see those
>>
>>660332
Go to >>>/an/ and find bugguy. He'll be able to help with this topic.
>>
>>666865
Bugguy might be able to offer advice on what grows in the Netherlands climate.
Take his answers with a grain of salt. While he knows about things with which he has had personal experience, he will claim expertise even when he absolutely has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>666865
Oh gawd please don't bring bugguy here. He turns every thread he's in into a pissing contest.
>>
File: bugguy.png (112KB, 921x318px) Image search: [Google]
bugguy.png
112KB, 921x318px
>>666865
>>667240
>>667243

This is exactly why we don't need/want him here.
>>
>>660332
I've got two paw paw trees.

They are cool tropical looking trees but I sm not reaslly a fan of them despite my enthusiasm for native wild foods.
>>
>>667255
I actually think bugguy is a complete moron, but I was trying to be diplomatic when I responded to the to the anon who suggested asking him. I was hoping that anons could read between the lines. He's ruined /an/, and /out/ doesn't need the drama
>>
>>666852
The tree on the left is a Grandidier (3 years old) and the one on the right is a Digitata (almost 1 year old). They grow about a foot for a year when young.They only have leaves 6 months of the year. I hope to have money-bread fruit soon.

Avocado tree in the background but it's a lazy PoS and won't produce avocados
>>
File: Floria home passion fruit vine.png (482KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Floria home passion fruit vine.png
482KB, 600x400px
>>660332
I've been thinking of growing passionfruit myself. I hear it grows like a weed. It would also save me a pretty penny as getting them at the store costs absolutely outrageous prices.
>>
>>667574
I live in SWFL (so basically tropical) and a friend has a vine that's at least 50 feet long and usually bears 300+ fruit a season. If you live south of Tampa-Orlando-Merritt Island, and have big empty fence, go for it! They are a delicious addition to OJ or a smoothie.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.