[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homemade Foods for Trail and Camping?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: DSCF4852_resize.jpg (89KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4852_resize.jpg
89KB, 800x600px
I'm talking stuff you are actually bringing with you, not just hunting/foraging for in the wilderness. This could be the obvious things like seasonings/herbs/vegetables you've grown and dried, but also stuff like emergency/supplemental rations in case you can't find enough food in the wild. (pic related, Hardtack from 2008)

Here's some examples,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vLuMobHCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjcJUGuFVg

One of the things I like to bring are bags of instant soup. I grow a lot of vegetables and mushrooms in my garden and dry a great deal of them ( >>634583 ). With those and some homemade pasta I'll bag up various types of soups and stews I can make from dehydrated vegetables and their powders.

What do you take along with you on your wilderness adventures, /out/?
>>
>>639687
Hardtack, Beef Jerky, Pemmican (with blueberries man, shits so good), bar of dark chocolate, instant oatmeal, dried beans, rice, bouillon cubes, MREs sometimes. Not all of this shit at once, but I always bring hardtack and Pemmican, they make a pretty good stew type thing if you mix them in water.
>>
>>639695
I make deer jerky form time to time. It is really difficult not to eat it all in one sitting. It is so delicious.
>>
File: kes_neelix_kiss.jpg (562KB, 800x1030px) Image search: [Google]
kes_neelix_kiss.jpg
562KB, 800x1030px
>>639687
pretty sure thats nelix
>>
>>639706
I know man, I know. I have a friend who makes deer jerky, like smoked and shit, its amazing. I use my deer meat for chili and pemmican, haven't been able to make a smoker.
>>
>>639695
OH SHIT, THE PEANUT BUTTER. HOW COULD I FORGET THE PEANUT BUTTER.
>>
File: pizza.jpg (584KB, 804x699px) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
584KB, 804x699px
I have an extra zippered compartment in my pack that I carry 2 or 3 Mountain House meals in "just in case" I need them. My usual day hiking or overnight trip meal however is Ramen that I fortify with dried veggies & mushrooms. I buy fresh produce, slice it thinly, then run it thru my dehydrator and vacuum seal it in one serving size packs. I also usually slice up a Slim Jim or some beef jerky and add it to the ramen while it cooks - makes a pretty hearty meal. Corn bread mix (just add water) is another one of my staples. I carry along a couple of 9 inch pie tins and bake it dutch oven style by inverting one tin over the other - another use for the pie tins is to make pizza (pic related). Foil pack tuna is also good, it comes in many flavors and is only 1 dollar a pouch. Pancake mix (again just add water) is awesome for breakfast - mix it up in the pouch then eat them with jelly or peanut butter - any leftovers make a good carry along snack to eat on the go without having to stop hiking.
>>
File: 124894618843.jpg (144KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
124894618843.jpg
144KB, 800x600px
>>639774
Love that pic. lol
>>
File: fit cookies.jpg (116KB, 540x792px) Image search: [Google]
fit cookies.jpg
116KB, 540x792px
What about /fit/ cookies?
>>
>>639792
Forgot to say that they are supposed to have a balance of protein, fat, and carbs.
>>
>>639792
>splenda

>>>/trash/

If you are going to eat, eat something good, not trash.
>>
I usually make some sort of bread with lot of energy. Like kinda greasy with tons of olive oil in the dough or grilled cheese on top of it. Or coconut bread is also great, coconut has >600kcal/100g
>>
>>639687
I usually just get trailmix.
>>
SAUSAGE BREAD
SAUSAGE
BREAD
LET ME BREAK IT DOWN FOR YOU

GET A LOAF OF BREAD DOUGH
GET A POUND Of SAUSAGE
KNEAD THEM TOGETHER
BAKE IN BREAD PAN

YOU NOW HAVE SAUSAGE BREAD
IT IS BREAD
WITH SAUASAGE
SAUSAGE
FUCK
>>
>>639917
Just make pepperoni rolls.
>>
>>639917
HOW LONG DOES SAUSAGE BREAD LAST THOUGH
>>
>>640215
Like pepperoni rolls they should last until the bread gets moldy.
>>
>>640219
ARE THERE VEGAN ALTERNATIVES
>>
>>640222
YES, ITS CALLED "BREAD".
>>
File: 1383896283874.jpg (4KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
1383896283874.jpg
4KB, 261x195px
>>640228
>>
Jersey is good, lentils and rice are great for making stews super nutritious and are pretty filling
>>
>>640215
SAUSAGE BREAD LASTS FOR TWENTY MINUTES
BECAUSE YOU'LL EAT IT ALL
IT'S TOO DELICIOUS
JUST SMELLING IT WILL MAKE YOUR SAUSAGE GO DOKI DOKI

IF SEALED PROPERLY YOU CAN MAKE IT LAST FOR A WEEK
AND BY SEALED
I MEAN SHOVED IN A WOMAN'S UTERUS
BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER GET INTO THAT PUSSY
>>
File: image.jpg (831KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
831KB, 2048x1536px
Potato pancakes are the best
>>
Sweetcorn fritters
Can of creamed corn.
Cup of Flour and a teaspoon of baking soda.
One grated potato.
Pinch of salt and pepper.
Mix that bitch up.
Fry as little pancakes.
It's like hash browns but makes your poop corny. Great with tomato sauce.
>kiwifag.
>>
>>640289
>SAUSAGE BREAD LASTS FOR TWENTY MINUTES
Fuckin dying
>>
>>640089
>>pepperoni rolls

Since the early 2000s, the U.S. military began including a version of the pepperoni roll in one of the MREs (Meals, Ready-to-Eat) provided to troops. In the late 2000s, the U.S. Army changed the pepperoni roll to its First Strike Ration. These rations are designed for light infantry, airborne, and special forces during a typical 72-hour patrol. The pepperoni roll's compact size and comparatively high nutritional return make it an ideal ration for these patrols. These rations were extensively employed during Operation Enduring Freedom.
>>
>>640380
This
>tfw corn fritters, Watties baked beans, eggs and bacon
>>
>>640542
Holy fuck just reading that made me feel comfy
>>
>>639687
There's already a cooking thread. Does no one check the catalog?
>>
>>640532
Soon enough they're just gonna go full circle back to pemmican. Shit doesn't go bad, and it's extremely calorie dense.
>>
>>640600
pemmican is great food, but digestion of fat and protein and conversion into sugars takes a relatively long time, compared to just eating carbs. a mix of the 3 is probably best for a soldier who might be eating whenever he/she has the chance to.

as a personal example, for one hike I decided that I would just pack nuts an dried meat, since they were way more calorie dense than carbs. despite snacking on nuts constantly, after about 2 hours I was bonking out.. because my body couldn't digest the nuts and convert into glycogen in time to replace what I was using.
>>
>>640607
>eating constantly on a hike for 2 hours

Am I reading that right? If so, then you need to know that is the wrong way to eat. You need to eat once and never again for many hours. Otherwise, you slow down your digestive rate and food takes forever to digest in comparison. It is "sorta" like stopping a load of laundry just to add a sock then restarting the cycle.
>>
>>640607
that's why you mix in berries and shit, it adds a good flavor AND you get fast acting sugars.
>>
>>639687
>Meetis
>Meetis
>Meetis
Even with the annotation, I can't watch this video.
>>
>>640678
Every endurance athlete would disagree with you. It's accepted practice to snack regularly during sustained exercise in order to increase the Max duration and intensity of output.
>>
>>639792
>splenda

Enjoy your cancer in early 40s, you tool : - )
>>
>>642008
Oh noes, anon. Are you okay?

>>642023
Did you even read that?

>eating constantly on a hike for 2 hours

Not "snack regularly". This is someone eating "constantly" while on a 2-hour hike. That's like retarded. Plus, if you keep your body digesting constantly your performance drops. Not only that, but that person isn't snacking they are eating stuff that constitutes a meal. Read their post.
>>
I bought dehydrator.great for jerky and dried fruit and whatnot

I usually use roast beef or whatever is cheap and relatively fat less

Even picked up some liquid smoke last time I was in Sweden and I've experimented with thing like ginger.

Campfire. Cold beer. Homemade beef jerky and a view over the lake. Can it even get better?
>>
>>640324
one my favorite foods

especially with chives, bacon, cheese and sourcream
>>
>>639803
>>642027
I'm pretty sure you could substitute sugar for slenda.
>>
>>642039
dude, I wrote both >>642023 and >>640607, I know what I was doing. if I was hungry, I would eat a few nuts and a few bites of jerky.

my point was, that even though I wasn't hungry, I had no energy, since digestion couldn't keep up with my output.
>>
>>640228
Maximum kek
>>
>>639713
lel
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.