[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 30

File: 20150912_104529.jpg (648KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150912_104529.jpg
648KB, 2048x1152px
QTDDTOT-
questions that dont deserve their own thread

i'll start off. why does the front of my kettle have this little spike on it? what is it for?

it doesn't have it on the back
>>
File: 20150912_104534.jpg (648KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150912_104534.jpg
648KB, 2048x1152px
and the back
>>
>>591629
in order to look like a funny bird, no actually I'm interested in what this thing is for now.
>>
>>591645
my thought was it was to make the front look like a penguin. its actually the closest thing to an answer ive come up with.

it dosnt lock the handle in place or anything. cant be for tying to or anything because why why would you? i honestly cant figure out its purpose
>>
>>591655
Got any brand on this kettle? Maybe it has something to do with our feathery friends.
>>
>>591656
goddamnit i knew this question would come. i bought it at Ullared at a store i cant remember the name of. i remember the name not turning up anything on google though was in the "foresters" aisle next to husqvarna and hultafors stuff. il see if i cant find the receipt
>>
>>591629
Does it allow you to lean the lid to that side without taking it off completely? Thats my only thought really.

Maybe for tying tea bags to if youre a britbong.
>>
I've got a question, in the OP pic it looks like the kettles "throat", "mouth" or whatever you call that part was sawn off. Is that so?
>>
>>591668
I am not sure i understand what you mean. the lid is nowhere near touching it. if it was for tying a teabag to wouldn't it be make more sense if it was inverted to hold the line instead of making it slip?
>>591674
no. came like that. not exactly sure what you mean though. could you specify?
>>
File: kettle5.jpg (28KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
kettle5.jpg
28KB, 550x550px
>>591678
>no. came like that. not exactly sure what you mean though. could you specify?
I just looked at about 100 different kettles after seeing this thread and stumbled across some like pic related and thought it might had one of those caps and that little spike was for retaining the cap then. Maybe it's possible to get aftermarket caps like those, idk.
>>
File: tea ball.jpg (16KB, 350x317px) Image search: [Google]
tea ball.jpg
16KB, 350x317px
>>591629
I believe the space created by the spike is for the tea ball hook (Pic related). Before invention of commercial tea bags, people used tea balls which would hold the loose tea leaves. They are still considered more traditional. By hooking the tea ball chain at the front, the tea ball was kept from banging around, because the front is now the bottom as the tea is poured.
>>
>>591685
Yeah did it ever have a cap on the spout?

It looks like a place to catch the cap lifter, though it seems like it would be flat on its underside rather than a symetrical arrowhead.
>>
Swag or small tent? I'm gonna be going up the east coast of Australia for the next few months and don't want to be killed by sneks or spiders.
>>
>>591685
>>591761
No it didn't have a cap on it
>>
>>591685
I guess aftermarket parts could be an idea. But it's a cheap as fuck kettle so I think that sort of thing would be more for high end gear. But maybe
>>591754
Wouldn't it make more sense if the spike was in any way a shape conducive to hooking a chain onto?
>>
first time posting in /out/ I've got a few questions
1. do you guys have any kind of pastebin? how do I start to learn more about doing /out/ stuff?
2. I've been raised in a very outdoor environment, my brothers and I spent most summers and falls playing out in the woods or exploring or whatever, and lots of camping as I was growing up, so I'm not completely green, but I'm trying to do more now that I'm on my own and can elect to do so, what do i need to start?
3. Where should I start with outdoors stuff? state parks, national forests? does it depend?
I really do want camping and being outdoors to be a bigger part of my life, but I have no idea where to start
>>
>>592073
This might help you get started.
>>582868
>>
>>591629
> why does the front of my kettle have this little spike on it?

I would have thought that the little spike is to prevent the pivoting handle from resting against the side of the kettle and getting too hot to hold, but it doesn't appear to be bent in at all, so... I dunno?
>>
>>592077
this is exactly what I was looking for. thanks a bunch anon
>>
>>592078
No. It don't touch the handle in any way at all
>>
>>592084
It would if you bent it inwards like it's supposed to be.
>>
File: pool shark.webm (265KB, 486x500px)
pool shark.webm
265KB, 486x500px
>>591629
So when you lower the handle (to the side with hinges) it stops the handle from leaning on the side of the kettle and getting to hot.
>>
>>592073
>1. do you guys have any kind of pastebin?
this reminded me that the sticky is outdated, both links to informative pdfs are broken.
>>
I got a question regarding setting up hammocks,
what type of parachord do you guy use to tie your hammock ?
link would be appreciated.
>>
>>592473
Webbing and low-stretch rope (i.e. not nylon). Never paracord.
>>
>>592492
this.
>>
>>592492
>Webbing and low-stretch rope (i.e. not nylon).
I should probably explain more. My hammock (original Hennesy) has attached ropes that I tie to the nylon webbing i wrap around the trees (I try not to use long runs of webbing because see below). As a rule I like polyester marine ropes for low stretch and easy knot tying, but I've also used cheap yellow polypropylene for longer runs & cheapo parachute hammocks, it's slippery and harder to tie knots in or untie them once they set, but it's strong and doesn't stretch much.

Nylon rope is pretty stretchy so your hammock will sag more, and it loses strength when wet. Paracord is nylon.

Also depending on who you ask, the safe working load for rope is 1/5 to 1/10 of breaking strength. For 550 paracord that's 55 to 110 pounds and you're probably putting more stress than that on your hammock lines.
>>
>>592756
Bright yellow reflective automobile rope. Not too heavy actually and I use trailer straps around the trees so knot tying is minimal. I got tired of walking into my own damn rope
>>
Should i get a $600ish computer or spend more for out? My 2+ year old laptop died. I don't truly need a computer but it would be bei practical. What does out think?

Browsing on my phone sucks, but it's doable
>>
>>593488
Get a $300 laptop like an intel chromebook (that way you can install windows on it if you want) and spend/save the rest for /out/ stuff. Honestly though if your kit is pretty complete and you don't need anything else then just get a nicer laptop.
>>
>>593488
Browsing here on a P4 that was 100% related to this thread. >>>/diy/873797
>>
I live in northern Arkansas, and am I looking for a good place to go detecting and coin shooting. Any locations or advice?
I've snorkeled the local rivers on tourist season and found rings, watches, money, and go pros.
>>
>>593488
buy an ASUS or Toshiba laptop
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Is this a chanterelle mushroom?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>596521
We have them where I live but I never seen one til today if that's what it is.
>>
>>596521
it is in the chanterelle family. and only a few in that family are know to cause some discomfert when eaten.
>>
>>596521
No that is not a chanterelle, it has defined gills on its underside. Chanterelles do not, their 'gills' are just wrinkles.
>>
European newfag here. How do I find places to go /out/? Would I get into trouble for going into random non private owned forest and set up a camp for a night? I'm not some kind of filthy savage, I would leave the place clean.
>>
Not really an /out/doorsman, though go camping, hiking a few times a year in UK national parks. Will mainly be used for casual protection against rain in an urban environment.

Need a new raincoat; what would be a better buy?

Arcteryx Beta SL (Goretex paclite) £150

Mountain Equipment Tracer (Goretex Active) £100
>>
>>593492
Go on newegg or amazon and buy a refurbed Dell Latitude 6410/6420. I got one for $160. (Keyboard is worn out but thats a $25 fix.) Usually comes with i5 540, 4-8 gigs of ram, e-SATA port, 250G hard drive, wifi, windows 7 pro. Its definitely not top of the line but it's a god damn beast for around $200.
>>
File: hammock.jpg (44KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
hammock.jpg
44KB, 420x280px
>>591818
hammock bro
>>
>>592096
exactly. /question
>>
Can't post pics from my phone, gives me some sheit about not enough memory. What do?
>>
>>598475

I was never that keen on paclite, the mountain Equipment one probably has the edge there but I freaking love my Arcteryx hardshell. If youcan try them both on in a shop, I feel like you might find one fits you better than the other.
>>
>>597952
I'm sure you'll be fine, like you say you're not a filthy savage, set up nice and out of the way and nonody will even know you've been there. Enjoy Anon! Take photos and shit to show us.
>>
>>592473
look into some bankline. keep an eye out for the kind that is dipped then rolled rather than rolled then dipped, as it has better coverage and dosnt smell nearly as bad.

bankline is super cheap and great for almost any tying job when /out/
>>
>>593488
what would you use a PC for while out?
>>
File: coffee.jpg (115KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
115KB, 960x540px
>>591629
>>592086
>It would if you bent it inwards like it's supposed to be.
I think there used to be an insert that kept the handle in upright position. The spike is to keep this insert over the hinge. I don't know what it looks like but this is the only logical explanation.
>>
File: fire-on-trail-in-nuuksio.jpg (1MB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
fire-on-trail-in-nuuksio.jpg
1MB, 1000x667px
>>597952
Come to Finland. Everyman's right to roam on most all uninhabited land, public or private. Also, shitloads of very neat forests and swamps. Let's go together.
>>
>>599486
that's fucking great, i'm not that anon tho just some hun fag here there are no real forests they are all small scattered and everything over-regulated.

can you practice primitive hunting in finland? here it gets you 3 years jailtime if caught and huge fines.
>>
>>599520
If you go up North enough (and never speak German so a local might hear - the old-timers still aren't keen on krauts), you can poach OK, even with guns if you move camp often enough. Unlicensed fishing is more likely to get you fined, actually - riverside camps are easier to spot by rangers moving by the waterways.

I actually have a cabin well up north that I could use, plus I know of several really great national forests etc. more in the South of Finland, only I'm a pathetic noob with no friends to go there with. Come poach with me, eh?
>>
How do you guys deal with wild animals at night ?
I got no gun to do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOMQ_MEBJtI
>>
>>600920

So long as you hang your food or just keep it away from your tent/hammock the bears will leave you alone.

Honestly though, bears aren't nearly as bothersome as rodents. I've heard of people having to bat them away from there tent because they were trying to chew there way in. Since they are so dumb, they don't just give up till you get out of your tent and go Godzilla on their ass.

Animals aren't a concern though. Even Bears are scared of humans. A friend of mine slept a whole night with a skunk once. He was freaked out at first but he just kept sleeping and it didn't bother him. He was sleeping in a shelter on the AT and it curled up on the wall opposite of him.
>>
Who made those cairns on Bear Island in Lamoka Lake, NY? I was there yesterday and there was two of them, resisted the urge to kick them over, made my own (although not as tall or interesting), then swung on the rope swing for a while and kayaked away.
>>
Is it possible to teach myself archery? I was interested in it and when i went to look at the bows at the sporting goods store they told me i need lessons to start
>>
File: IMG_20141101_101244.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141101_101244.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>601510
Very possible to teach yourself but do some research so you don't learn bad habits.

Pic related, you might not be robin hood right away.
>>
>>591629

what do i look for on craigslist for a first tent?

i guess 2 man is what id need even though i might just be going solo for a bit.

whats a good price i can expect to pay? any particular brands to look out for/avoid? things i should pay attention to in photos? (broken poles or something like that)
>>
Do you guys usually go out camping alone? Or with a group? How large are the groups you go with?
>>
>>600956
>waking up with a skunk
Not as bad as a porcupine.
I woke up one morning wondering what the itchy thing against my leg was, and didn't realize until I shifted and had a ton of quills in my leg for my trouble.
Walking 8 miles back to my truck like that sucked.
>>
>>601560
Honestly, you'd be better off buying a wally world special. You're a lot less likely to get a mildewy piece of shit with bent poles and no stakes.
>>
Is it OK to just spend 30 dollars on a milsurp sleeping bag?
>>
>>601732
Yes, but only if you don't mind the added weight and bulk
>>
File: awesome-sheet-tent.jpg (81KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
awesome-sheet-tent.jpg
81KB, 580x386px
Unless it rains, this would work right? If it rains, would it drip through or collect at the bottom? I guess the water would make it superheavy though
>>
>>601736
The one I'm looking at says it's only 3 pounds. It appears to be down.
>>
>>596522
Those gills are shallow and forking enough for me to say that it is a chanterelle but you never know when someone on the internet is trying to get you killed
>>
hey /out/, i hike and do /k/ stuff often, and i usually wear mid boots. if i get a pedicure will this affect my outdoor boot wearing negatively?
>>
>>601737

It would soak through and pile onto the bottom. So both. Maybe throw a tarp up over it? Not as "cute" but you get to have your blanket fort and be dry.
>>
Did I do good?

http://www.army-surplus.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/866/s/snugpak-sleeper-extreme-sleeping-bag/category/149/
>>
>>601863
NO

YOU DID TERRIBLE
>>
>>601878
why
>>
>>601882
BECAUSE
>>
>>601890
cool.
>>>/b/ is that way
>>
>>601797
I don't really have a tarp, neither can I afford one
>>
Any advice on looking after your feet?
>>
>>591629
What's the most Gucci stuff I can throw on my compound bow for hunting season? I already have a lighted fiber optic 5 pin sight, whisker biscuit rest, but my bow doesn't have enough crap hanging off of it yet. It's a PSE over-parallel so limb silencers will actually harm it.
>>
>>602125
Put plasters (and ducktape) on areas that are starting to feel sore. Aloe vera creams are great for most common skin problems, so you can apply some of that too.
>>
>>602130
>Aloe vera creams
I've been using a 99% aloe vera cream as an aftershave because reasons and it's great. Works great on burns as well. Can't recommend it enough. Any highly concentrated lotion will do I guess.
>>
>>602052
Get a clear plastic painted tarp, duck tape some tie outs, cost ya less than 3 bucks champ
>>
>>602216
I can never find a good thin tarp. I can only find the thick ones. The best I could find was 2.5 x 3.5 m and it weighs 1.8 kilos.
>>
>>602388
>2.5mx3.5m
>1.8kg
Are you looking at tarps made out of lead? Jesus, I don't even think my 12x20ft tarp weighs that much.
>>
>>603753
>Are you looking at tarps made out of lead?
I prefer leather tarps. More weight yes, but they are durable and when taken care of, very quiet in the wind.

Leather is expensive but going for quality synthetics is not any cheaper. I paid £200 for my first tarp and had to replace it right after my first /out/ing. £500 -£800 is where it's at.
>>
File: IMG_20151002_121425.jpg (336KB, 1228x921px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_121425.jpg
336KB, 1228x921px
Probably a daft question, but what's the rules regarding walking on quarry roads? Pic related, was basically the only way to get back to the road without backtracking through miles of fields. Kept the dog on the leash, but I'm just wondering if it's permitted to follow them if you're careful not to wander under a lorry's wheels. I can't imagine the lorry drivers really give a shit, it's more the health and safety twats I'm worried about stopping me (if there are any).
>>
How do my hammock bros feel about hanging in lightning storms? Scares the shit out of me cause my cord is normally wet and im tied between two trees... I think in a situation like so I might end up being the path of least resistance...
>>
A sleeping bag thread would be neat, but I'll just ask here.
Any good DOWN sleeping bags that are relatively cheap but go down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit?
>>
>>603769
>leather tarp
Why? A cheap walmart tarp is cheap, light, and durable. Obviously not leather durable, but it'll last a year or two at least.
Also, zero maintenance.
>>
File: 9029774213150.jpg (77KB, 600x417px) Image search: [Google]
9029774213150.jpg
77KB, 600x417px
>>603753
No it's the heavy duty ones people use to cover their boats and wood and shit. Pic related.
>>
>>603811
You're safer than if you were standing in the same spot on the ground. You'll never be the shortest path to ground in a hammock.

Now, the tree(s) you're tied to might get struck and fall over, but as long as you don't pick the two highest trees in the area to tie up in, you'll be fine.
>>
Should I get the Military Sleep System or a North Face Inferno -20 with MSS bivy?
>>
>>603869
Yeah, that's the kind I have, and it's not 2 lbs heavy. It's pound, at most.
>>
>>603867
That is a long running joke here in /out/. There is no such thing as a leather tarp. 2 x 3 meter tarp costs here in EU about 3 euros.

Now if you'd know where to find light tarps made of ripstop (not necessarily 100% waterproof) would you be kind enough to tell me. I'd like to have something that is lighter than those cheap tarps. They're not heavy, but too heavy to be carried around when you're not expecting rain.
>>
>>591818
I like a swag with a fly for when its really fucking hot. I dont recommend one if you are hiking though. If you can find an enclosed hammock then go with that but I wouldn't recommend sleeping open at all. I remember thats how Anon woke up with a Red Belly Black snake coiled up on his chest.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
What kind of snake is this?
>>
File: poopsnake.jpg (100KB, 300x202px) Image search: [Google]
poopsnake.jpg
100KB, 300x202px
>>604573
Poop Snake
>>
Is it a good idea to go /out/ with a tarp that's 1.7x2.4 m? How small is too small? Any good tips on how to set up a really small tarp?
>>
>>604573
This is snek.
Hssss.
>>
File: 1441055465021.jpg (36KB, 648x628px) Image search: [Google]
1441055465021.jpg
36KB, 648x628px
>>604621
I don't think it is a good idea. 1.7m is, I guess, enough if you don't need any headroom, but 2.4 for length is not enough, unless you're a midget.

>How small is too small?
I keep asking myself the same question. I even asked my gf but didn't get a straight answer. Well if you carry a tarp as a survival item on a dayhike, even a 1 x 1m tarp can save your life / the day.

>Any good tips on how to set up a really small tarp?
If it's very small there are little options. As low as possible and the wall side against the wind.
>>
>>604573
btw incase u didnt figure it out its a "Brown Snake" Storeria dekayi
>>
File: Sick of this shit.jpg (32KB, 626x605px) Image search: [Google]
Sick of this shit.jpg
32KB, 626x605px
I live in san deigo, born and raised

i have been /out/ before but for the most part in the desert and im fucking sick of it. I don't like the countryside around here at all.

Where is the best semi-Nearby place to go /out/ that meets the following?

-I want to be alone and don't want to see many people if any at all ( no designated campsites)

-I want to spend most my time fishing (and eat the fish)

-Lots of trees and fish holding water to hike to

-it would be nice to have a fire but i realize that is a lot to ask in this fucking place so that's not a must

I am willing to drive as far as the sierras since they seem like a good candidate but i don't know any specifics about the areas around them

Also i can deal with cold but i am a stranger to snow so i will have to when its not snowing to start

Please help me i wanna go /out/ in something besides dead grass and shrubs
>>
>>602052
get water proofing spray, and/or wax. Coat largest blanket with it and allow to dry. Better than nothing. Just get really cheap tarp if spray is too much. Won't last for an entire season, but if needed only during the rainy bits, might last you.
>>
File: 1443925631623.jpg (1MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1443925631623.jpg
1MB, 1824x3264px
Newb gardener here. I think my turnip is retarded and I can't find out why. Searched a few gardeners sites and came up with little info.
>>
File: MVC-026F[1].jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MVC-026F[1].jpg
38KB, 640x480px
I have a bunch of moist towelette that jack stack BBQ has near the exit door. I was curious could I use these to sanitize my utensils (spoon/fork after eating, also sanitize my mess kit?) while I am /out/?
>>
>>604689
I know how you feel. San Diego truly sucks ass. The few places nearby that are relatively /out/ are packed full of people and campsites. That being said I actually do enjoy desert backpacking, it makes me feel like a cowboy.
>>
>>595329
any of the rivers or waterways near fayettville would probably be good. lots of well of college kids getting drunk and rafting and whatnot
>>
>>604876
Yeah they're great for that but they don't really tackle large globs of food
>>
>>605072
sorry, I meant like using moist towelettes after cleaning it with water (assuming you use river water without boiling it unless running river water is clean enough without worrying about bacterial growth)
>>
>>603806
Well you want to be facing traffic, not having it approach you from behind, other than that it should be fine if you just step into the tall grass when you see a vehicle.
>>
What am I missing for a 1 night camp in England around Christmas time.

Sleeping bag
Tarp
Blankets ( Sleeping matts)
Knife
Firestarting kit
Cookware
Water
Food
Torch
Rucksack
>>
>>605120
buy a proper ground mat. blankets compress and lose a lot of their insulation.
>>
>>605128
What if I elevate myself with a wooden platform?
>>
>>605134
less of a problem then. but still a big problem
>>
If I remember right walnut husks have a lot of tannin in them. Any /out/ / bushcraft use for this?
>>
>>605521
Uh, tanning. Duh.
>>
The shoelaces of my hiking shoes tore. What are some /out/-recommended brands I should look into for replacement?
>>
>>606174
whatevers cheapest at your local shoe shop
>>
File: Ray8_3206194b.jpg (70KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Ray8_3206194b.jpg
70KB, 620x387px
what is your go to tripod setup for cooking?
>>
>>605521
Guide to the cheap florida way skinning and tanning.

Skin
[de-hair if you aren't keeping fur]
Scrape the fat off.

Extract Tannin's from Oak bark/Gulls/Acorns
- Boil water with finely chopped/grinded oak bark finer the better
- Let it simmer [if you can burn yourself, you burn the skin]

Throw your hide in the tannin water and let it sit for 24/48 hours or even longer. I like closing off the containers if possible and keeping them out of the sun light after boiling.
-A skin is done tanning when tannins have penetrated all of it’s fibers. Checking by snipping off a sample from a thick edge is the easiest way to see this process, you should see a color diffrence all the way through.
- For thicker skins such as cow, elk, moose. making too strong of a tea can ‘shock’ the hide, meaning the exterior of the hide tans too fully too fast, blocking tannins from getting to the interior fibers of the skin.

Softening your leather.
First off, this can be accomplished by taking out the hide from your tannin and washing it off well in a steam/creek.
hang it up to let it dry, as soon as it starts looking a little dry start appling the oil.
-some good oils to use are lard, bear grease, seal oil, olive oil any liquid and semi-soild oils work best.
- If your gonna "wear" the skins then the oil only should be applied to the outside [grain side] not the side that would come in conntact with your skin.
-keep it hung some place to dry, you're gonna have to strech and oil it many times so be prepaired.
-More oil applied the more "water proof" it will be.
>>
>>599536
there is germanophobia in finnland? i thought we were allies.
>>
i want new spoon/crook knife. perhaps a set. im tired of my old Mora one and i want something a bit higher quality. any suggestions?
>>
>>606201
10/10 post anon
>>
>>602129
Truck nuts
>>
>>606370
All of the higher quality stuff is hand forged, so it'd be best to find someone local and get one from them. I've found a number of wood carving facebook groups, and they have lists of smiths based in area
>>
File: 20151006_193800.jpg (349KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20151006_193800.jpg
349KB, 864x1536px
Heya
before I start my own thread I thought I'd put it here in an attempt to not.. well the reason why this thread is here.
I got this plant about 6 months ago, no idea what it is. I'm a total plant noob. It was doing okay but I had it up against a window that got a lot of sunlight (with a drape pulled 24/7). Moved it across the room when I started seeing some burn on the leaves.
Then it just kind of started doing pic related and I moved it a bit closer to indirect sun. Still doing it.
Is it just a kind of plant that sheds a lot? Should I clip the dead ends of the leaves? Can you tell me what it is so I can look it up online?
TIA
>>
>>606593
The pot drains and I've been trying to make sure I'm not over/under watering. Keeping the soil just a hair from being dry.
Don't know anything about the soil. My gardener friend bought it and trans-potted it.
Had it for ~8 months.
>>
>>606203
>i thought we were allies.
We are, but the fact is you burned our lapland to ground. You did it for good reasons but try to explain that to locals.

It takes many generations to get over something like this.
>>
>>606569
Thanks man il start looking there. I quest it makes sense. I was having real trouble finding brands and such that weren't mora but it's such a niche thing so it makes sense
>>
>>599536
Not that anon but if I lived a bit closer, and not in southern Europe, I would totally go with you.
>>
>>606593
The plant is a dracaena. No idea what's wrong with it though. Probably needs bright indirect/filtered light, but plants can take a while to respond to environmental changes.
>>
what should i look for in a good compass to last me a long time?
inb4 someone says just use your smartphone
>>
File: 009659_md.jpg (28KB, 364x254px) Image search: [Google]
009659_md.jpg
28KB, 364x254px
What size (in terms of liters) stuffsack is recommended?
>>
How is a ka-bar knife like this as a general purpose camp knife?
http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/30
>>
>>606759

2 or 6
>>
>>606771
Cool
>>
>>606763
serviceable but not ideal. it is a combat knife and there are knives designed for outdoor activities taht does not include stabbing people that are more suited for the job
>>
>>606771
Is there a reason you came to the number? What is usually put in them besides clothes?
>>
>>606780
cool thanks, have any suggestions for the same price?
>>
>>606788
You have a lot to choose from at that range. would reccomend going to the Knife thread up and reading through that real quick. Also determine if you are going to be a baton or an axe fag. You cannot pick both and you need to be as unreasonable as possible when you make your choice.
>>
File: 840760web.jpg (109KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
840760web.jpg
109KB, 800x800px
would carrying a small hatchet like the Hultafors mini or something and maeby a plastic splitting wedge or two be daft or a decent idea if you dont want to lug a full size axe but still want to split? i mean sure you could carve wedges but having one or two propper one and then you can improvise more if needed dosnt sound super awfull or am i just dumb?
>>
>>591629
You should slit your throat, just saying.
>>
>>606806
Just get a normal length hatchet or boy's axe handle on a hatchet head. The wood is hardly any weight ad the leverage would make wedges redundant.
>>
>>606373
thanks.

I should of added that anything with "tannins" work. I've found acorn tanning to actually be the best for squirrel and rabbit tanning. but acrons come only at the end of the year. so its not exactly an option year round.

also.. No salt required.. srsly I don't know why people salt shit if you don't need too, Its good if you can't make a solution for a few days. if you got time to that day, then do it... no need in pointlessly salting.
>>
File: 2615905_e6af0be2.jpg (469KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
2615905_e6af0be2.jpg
469KB, 640x443px
are there any limpets you cant eat?
>>
>>601737
I hope you don't have to deal with bugs in that setup
>>
>>606790
Kek. I had a laugh
>>
>>598994
Considering there is one spike on each side I think it makes the most sense that they are supposed to be bent in enough to block the handle.

They are probably bent back out so the handle can fold down for easier storage.
>>
whats outs preferred way of pot suspension? i like the pot crane
>>
Any Wisconsin hikers know of any good parks that allow camping as well? Preferably somewhere close to east-central Wisconsin.
>>
>>606732
Get a clear, flat, map compass. They're like $10.
>>
>>606837
Bump.
>>
File: 001.jpg (71KB, 451x313px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
71KB, 451x313px
>>606943
>Whenever I have a cup of coffee I think about this. I looked again the pic I sent before and it looks as if the spikes were different, I found another pic where the spikes are on the same end of the handle and they too look different.

I'm beginning to doubt my own theory about inserts but here it is:

A) One spike = you can rest the handle against it.
B) Two different spikes on the same end = Handle stays upright position but can be moved a little to the other side to help filling the kettle.
C) A different spike on each end = Same as B, but you can have A if you remove one insert.
>>
I have a gerber multitool (from the Bear Grylls line). It was given to me by my sister, who knows that I'm into 'that camping stuff'. I've been using it for couple years now.

Question is: Are gerber multitools really shit compared to leatherman? In what aspects? I see lots of hate on gerber on /out/ and /k/.
>>
>>607258
do you like it? do you wish it was more expensive but perhaps a little sturdier? do you care about branding?
>>
>>607259
no, no, and no. like I said, I've been using it (though not heavy usage, I have my BK2 and mora for that) for couple years and I just don't understand the hate. I assume I'm missing something.
>>
>>607259
>>607260
*uhh YES no and no.
>>
>>607018
Lower Mettle Moraine has pretty nice car camping, and the Ice Age Trail goes right through it
>>
File: 1433984667986.png (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1433984667986.png
14KB, 500x500px
>>605120
You might want to consider getting a flashlight
>>
Is this guy /out/ist? Not bad, considering other morons on yt

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCts-8ZqS339n-9nxy3DN8Cg
>>
how do I deal with condense in my $10 tent in around freezing temp?
>>
>>609177
Best you can do is make sure your fly is set up correctly and not preventing moisture from escaping. AFAIK there is no magic way to prevent all condensation.
>>
>>601510
Whoever said that is a fool.

I'm self taught and accurate/consistent up to about 20yrds with a recurve. Practice is key with archery. You have to practice as much as possible.

Watch a lot of YouTube videos to get proper form down too. That is the hardest part.
>>
>>609177
Vent a couple windows
>>
I just traded some shit for a kayak. Have no experience at all.

im ready to buy a cheap ass paddle, and my local hardware store has a rounded and a square paddle double sided paddle.

From a quick google search, single blade paddles are a no no for kayaking, but I cant find whether I should have a square or round paddle.

Its going to be calm water, which should I go for?
>>
File: CameraZOOM-20151007195817242.jpg (595KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CameraZOOM-20151007195817242.jpg
595KB, 2560x1920px
Heres my question:

How much water do i need a day while hiking in southern California? I feel like a gallon a day would be enough to drink and have some leftover to cook with.

Does that sound right?

Pic unrelated
>>
File: alaska-kayakers.jpg (402KB, 1279x869px) Image search: [Google]
alaska-kayakers.jpg
402KB, 1279x869px
>>609520
rounded, preferably the tear drop like puc related. the ends are rounded on kayak paddles so it dosnt need to be lifted out of the water so far.

square is for guiding a raft or standing paddlers
>>
>>609688
ideally you would want a source of water to draw from and purify. If not an option I would probably bring 4 liters (so a little over a gallon)
>>
does anyone have the PDF that this board sticky linked to?
http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/FM21-76_SurvivalManual.pdf
>>
>>609751
Yeah, the drought is real over here, so the water source isnt gunna happen. Is that 4 litres daily?
>>
>>609823
4liters daily if you also cooking with it.

and in general extra water is going to suck less then to little water
>>
>>606822
Thanks! il consider it just for you
>>
Are there any places in the Deep South that get fall?
>>
Not sure if this is the right board, but what's the smallest cooler that can fit a 6-pack of beer bottles? All the coolers I've seen are either too short for the bottles to remain upright or way too big.
>>
>>609752
https://archive.org/details/Fm21-76SurvivalManual
>>
>>609934
thx m8
>>
>>609688
yeah, you might want to bring some electrolyte supplements also.

Hiking in socal is inherently difficult because it's so dry and hot that you have to carry alot of extra weight just to stay hydrated.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.