[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #99

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 91

File: 99.jpg (2MB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
99.jpg
2MB, 3197x5000px
Old thread: >>1049633

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

https://pastebin.com/4CqXsHFm

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
Not Peppers
>>
>>1055870
It is just normal farming really. Everything you do in life should be sustainable otherwise, you run into problems later on.

>>1055893
I have a section of one garden where the gas company dug it up and didn't scrap the top soil aside then replace it when done. In that section the plants are absolutely terrible while everything around it is lush.
>>
>>1055903
Why not?
>>
>>1055870
Varg has a cute family and I wish he'd make more videos about his sustainable lifestyle than politics. Yes, I did repost this just to fix the typo.
>>
File: DSCN1609a.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1609a.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
SUNDAY UPDATE: Silent Hill Edition
>>
File: DSCN1636a.jpg (3MB, 3068x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1636a.jpg
3MB, 3068x3072px
>>1056006
>>
File: DSCN1644a.jpg (4MB, 3072x3064px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1644a.jpg
4MB, 3072x3064px
>>1056007
>>
File: 1493158085726.jpg (67KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
1493158085726.jpg
67KB, 500x525px
>>1056006
I don't know if you get much reply, but I want you to know I look at all your pics and I enjoy seeing em.
>>
File: DSCN1683a.jpg (3MB, 3072x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1683a.jpg
3MB, 3072x3072px
>>1056009
last
>>
File: IMG_20170709_181142.jpg (195KB, 836x844px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170709_181142.jpg
195KB, 836x844px
Harvested my first (cherry) tomato. It was delishious.
>>
>>1055957
Yasss~ So exciting!
>>
>>1056011
lol Thanks, but I'm unconcerned.
>>
I promise to read the sticky later, but just as a general question: what's actually worth growing if I only have a small (urban) plot? I have room for maybe 3 normal raised beds and a bunch of pots. Last year I did cherry tomatoes in a single cedar raised bed, and they were fine but not really different enough from store tomatoes to justify the space. This year I've got some herbs going, some better tomatoes ("paul robeson" and "stone ridge") and some random carrots and radishes. But what can I grow at this tiny scale that will really benefit from the extra freshness of picking at home? I'm in zone 5b
>>
>>1056025
I find that the biggest difference comes from growing different cultivars than what the stores sell. Then you'll have different flavors and textures for whatever you are growing. Beyond that, there's only a few things that will change the flavor between store and home vegetables (amount of water before harvesting is one).

The biggest different for growing the same cultivars will be for herbs. Their freshness at home is unrivaled. The freshness of store bought herbs is highly suspect. I can even tell when my harvested and preserved herbs have started to go a bit south. They start to taste like the store bought versions. The crushed and powdered peppers I make last about 2 months before they take on an odor and flavor of what the store stuff has.

>3 normal raised beds and a bunch of pots
>what can I grow at this tiny scale

Herbs & Mints
Fresh Salsa Ingredients (tomatillo, cilantro, sudduth strain brandywine tomato, hot peppers, onion, garlic)
>>
>>1056025
Always peppers.
Microgreens perhaps? Fast n easy. Strawberries are also piseasy and delishious. One of the plants I have you can sometimes even see sugar crystals near the stem on the very ripe ones.
>>
>>1056025
While it's a meme answer by now, peppers. Peppers are generally cheaper to grow than to buy, you can go for the specific variants you want. Also in case of hot peppers, since they are used more like a condiment or spice, they last you a lot longer than some meager amount of a staple. Also versatility.

Grow something you enjoy that is hard to come by in your area.

Expensive/"exotic" potato variants. I think the anon with the awesome vegetable garden posted something about harvesting a bucket of potatoes worth 3 digits.

Wasabi if you got some shade, like sushi and want the real stuff for a change.

Berries. Freshly picked and homegrown, they are always better than store bought.

There are lettuce variants where you only harvest some leaves and not the entire head and it grows back. Also there are a lot of variants that are tastier than the watery store bought stuff.

Find some quality tomatoes. There is a difference. Several Anons here grow them, ask for recommenations.

Cucumbers. If you like pickled stuff, try for you own. You can pickle more than cucumbers of course (like the aforementioned peppers).

Pumpkins. For eating or for Halloween.

Garlic, turnips, onions. There are more variants of this stuff than the regular store sold stuff. Ask. Experiment.

Beans thend to grow and yield well and take little (bed)space if trained onto a trellis. Not sure if they fit what you are after since beans are so readily available.

Some Anons grow corn, not sure if this for you for similar reason as for the beans, but maybe if you want some really fresh corn on the cob to barbeque or something.

Homegrown Melons, again variety, etc. but not sure if they will do well in 5b.

Grow grapes and make your own wine? But again, 5b.
>>
>>1055964
>Varg
Whoa, I didn't check the video before reading your comment. Gardening videos is pretty much the last thing I'd expected him to make.
>>
>>1056049
Right now he's living on a plot of land in France and occasionally talks about permaculture and how he homeschools his kids. Those videos are nice and wholesome. I don't quite disagree with all of his political views, but I'd still rather see him make more wholesome videos than politically charged ones.
>>
File: DSCN1745a.jpg (5MB, 2732x2732px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1745a.jpg
5MB, 2732x2732px
>>1056039
>Homegrown Melons, again variety, etc. but not sure if they will do well in 5b.
>Grow grapes and make your own wine? But again, 5b.

Melons are a bit hard to grow here. They are at the mercy of fickle weather. I've been able to grow them amazingly well only 1 year out of 5 that's I've tried. This year is a bit lackluster, but I do have watermelon coming on. The cold snaps below 50F at night once in a while have killed a few of the plants. The luffa sponge is doing better than the watermelon, but luffa has a growing season a bit too long for here. Someone living in a city would have warmer weather than a rural area near it so watermelon may far better at night.

It depends on the variety really. I have lots of grapes. If the weather isn't too wet then they do well and don't rot. There's at least on wine company near here that has a vineyard. The best vine I've seen here grew under the eaves of a second story porch. The grapes were protected from direct rain, but the base was always getting a stream of water across it when it rained. Those grapes never rotted.
>>
File: sweet bell pepper first attempt.jpg (118KB, 851x1134px) Image search: [Google]
sweet bell pepper first attempt.jpg
118KB, 851x1134px
After about 2-3 months of growing, my little pepper plant finally got around to dropping this little guy. I'm not entirely sure what I should do with it aside from making the smallest bowl of salsa ever.
>>
File: muhplant.jpg (300KB, 735x557px) Image search: [Google]
muhplant.jpg
300KB, 735x557px
came across some blackberry plants the other day, went back and got some cuttings

how should I try and plant these?
>>
>>1056126
Just bury everything up to the last leaf node. Remove any leaves that will be buried. Keep them well watered and give them shade.
>>
File: 20170708_093356.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_093356.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Do I need to let my plant outside? It is currently over 100°f these days I don't want it to die
>>
>>1056154
If you do, make sure to shade it.
>>
Ok, does it need any direct sunlight at this time?
>>
>>1056170
>>1056160
>>
>>1056146
thank you, will do
>>
>>1056170
If it is inside it could use some direct sunlight, but when you place it outside, it will get sunburned unless you give it some good shade.
>>
>>1056025
Pole beans take very little horizontal space and produce constantly. I've only got four well-producing plants and I'm still harvesting a serving of beans nearly every day.
Peppers have high yield relative to their space as well, given the amount of pepper most people use.
>>
My peach tree has this coming out of it. I looked it up online and it's called a rootstock, apparently you are suppose to trim these when they are young but it's gotten quite big. Should I cut it, leave it, or cut it and try to propagate a clone?
>>
File: IMG_2730.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2730.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>1056470
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1056470
Did you grow from seed, or did you buy a grafted sapling?

If you grew from seed, then I don't THINK leaving it would be a problem. You'd probably just end up with a big fork in the tree right at the base, as each stalk grows into a separate trunk.
But it could affect yield or something, I don't know.

If the tree has been grafted, you need to kill the sprouted rootstock. Otherwise the graft will be robbed of energy and you'll end up with fruit from the rootstock instead of from the graft.
>>
>when your potatoes live for 1 month over estimate

it's been 4 months now, hurry up and die
>>
>>1056503
lol iktf

I'm waiting on my second batch to die. Then I have to wait 2 weeks after they die so they can harden up their skins so they won't get damaged as much when I dig them up. Hurry up and wait!
>>
File: DSCN1753a.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1753a.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>tfw a fox or several foxes raided the chicken yard yesterday evening.

I lost 5 chickens. The entire place is fenced with welded wire fencing, but they pushed under the fence then when leaving they actually mushroomed a place to get out under it (bottom right pic). I've been skirting the fencing since forever, but it is a lot of work. Had I finished, this wouldn't have happened.

The thing is that these are daylight raids since the chickens are locked in the coop a night with a padlock. This is the second time this has happened this year for a total loss of 9 hens/roosters and 5 ducks.

Its going to be a long day. I need to clear cut the outside of the fence so the skirting can be placed on the ground. It'll get wired to the bottom of the existing fence. This prevents animals from digging or pushing under the fencing. There's over an acre of land that's fenced in, so this will take forever.
>>
>>1056124
Eat it raw and enjoy the fruit of your labor!
>>
>>1056049
Check out his wife's channel, Marie Cachet. She made a 2-part tour of their permaculture garden.

I think they avoid to make too much videos showing their land because some autist might find out where he lives and come annoy them.
>>
>>1056517
RIP ;_;7
>>
>>1056517
Fucking foxes dude. One of my neighbours just lost a chicken to a fox, it also proceeded to trash the yard and eat all the eggs. I seriously doubt a fox did that...
>>
>>1056607
There are lots of foxes in the area. The last one that was causing problems got killed on the road right next to the fence. I just got in from clearing brambles outside the fence and inspecting more of the fencing. Seems they tried digging under in about 6 places before getting under. The holes are too small for the coyotes and I've not seen small dogs in the area for years. It is pretty isolated here.
>>
>>1056616
I was talking about my neighbor's thing, sorry if it wasn't clear. Do you have a dog? Their scent can usually spook foxes pretty wel.
>>
>>1056618
I see. No, I don't. Years ago, a fox or two got into the hen house, long before I started using an actual padlock. It killed nearly all the chickens. Half were dragged off, through a big hole in the fence, and the rest that were dead were all headless. They can make quite a mess.
>>
File: IMG_1648.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1648.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My growing boys!
>>
File: IMG_2145.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2145.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
What's up with my beans? I have a similar red specking on my blueberry plants. I'm guessing the answer is some type of rust fungus.
>>
File: shiggy diggy.png (244KB, 568x559px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy diggy.png
244KB, 568x559px
>carefully raise seedlings indoors measuring watering levels and giving them 10 hours of LED light
>half die, and the rest grow up like limpy faggots

>throw seeds outdoors without giving a fuck
>they grow big and strong

I fucking quit this shit rofl
>>
>>1056831
Bacterial spot. Lots of rain recently?
>>
File: DSCN1765a.jpg (1024KB, 1024x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1765a.jpg
1024KB, 1024x1532px
>>1056517
Some skirting done at the worst spots.
>>
>>1056849
All the time. Have't had to water the garden once, but I'm getting stuff like this and slugs worse than ever before.

>>1056846
not enough light. A lot of those grow LED are turds.
>>
File: Another Week, Another Pepper.jpg (2MB, 4462x992px) Image search: [Google]
Another Week, Another Pepper.jpg
2MB, 4462x992px
>>1050546
Another week of progress. They slowed down a bit since they all started to produce fruit or at least prepare to bloom.

>>1055022
Mad jelly of that Bhut Jolokia. Looks really good, while something snacks on my Carolina Reapers....

>>1056006
>>1056007
>>1056009
>>1056012
>>1056517
You are the Anon that gave me the tip about Hypertufa, aren't you?
Thanks again man, I looked into it a bit more this weekend it this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks again.
Also sorry for your loss. Poor Chicken.

>>1056725
Peppers? What variants?
>>
File: I'm Gonna Need so Many Spagetti.jpg (278KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
I'm Gonna Need so Many Spagetti.jpg
278KB, 992x744px
>>1056895
Lies! The Mortgage Lifters don't lift anything, they only pull down the plants!
>>
File: Warning! Critical Overflow.jpg (903KB, 3076x730px) Image search: [Google]
Warning! Critical Overflow.jpg
903KB, 3076x730px
>>1056897
>Be me, going to gardening store somewhat out of my way in my unsuccessful quest for cranberry plants.
>magically drawn to some peppers
>Nice selection for a run-of-the-mill store
>Find a long and skinny Chocolate Habanero
>I really shouldn't
>Continue quest for cranberries
>No luck here either
>While the clerk looks through inventory for me see some cacti
>On sale, 1,50-2,00€ each
>Love cacti, had dozens as a teen until a fungus killed them all
>Can not resist
>Say fuck it and return to the peppers
>Buy the Habanero as well

Later that day I regretted not buying more cacti, went back the day after and bought 3 more.

Planted the Chocolate Habanero in my Habanero Container, they continue jungle-ing it up.

Thanks for subscribing to my blog.
>>
>>1056895
Looking good mate, all yours are at least as big as mine.
Bhut is still doing fine, I'm really looking forward to seeing its fruit, the first flowers on it are blooming. All the rest has been putting out flower buds, flowers and even fruit like mad once they get over the slow start.
>>
>>1056484
I just bought a sapling, I don't know if it was grafted. I don't care much for fruit currently, I just want the tree to get big and as you can see the rootstock has a lot of leaves on it.
>>
>>1057317
In that case, I don't think it will be a problem, as long as you don't mind the tree being forked at the base.
>>
>>1057317
Can you post a picture?
>>
>>1057327
He posted one here >>1056471

Unless you mean an additional picture.
>>
File: 1488829679977.jpg (382KB, 1280x1216px) Image search: [Google]
1488829679977.jpg
382KB, 1280x1216px
Is the pruning of tomato plants necessary? always heard so but then this farmer dude tried both ways and told me he found no difference in the production of the plant.
>>
>>1057325
Thanks!

>>1057327
I posted one, unfortunately all I have is a shitty phone camera.
>>
>>1057331
I do it while the plant is still small. Getting rid off shoots will help the main part grow faster. Once they get bigger I let them go.
>>
>>1056905
High bush cranberries or regular cranberries?

------------
Little bit heartbroken at the moment.

Been raising livestock for years. Just had a stillbirth. The dam is okay. It never gets easier. Every time it hurts like hell. Can't moan much about it, world keeps on spinning, plants will need to be watered in the morning and the other critters fed.

Just needed to vent.
>>
>>1057330
>>1057332
I didn't see the picture, my bad
I would cut the bottom branch just in case it's from the rootstock, like the other person said
>>
>>1057343
Well, it being from the roots wouldn't matter if the tree isn't grafted, right?
>>
>>1057340
What type of livestock? When I raised goats, it was a real pain during birthing. Being up to your armpit in goat pussy was a common occurrence because they'd always get turned around or have twins or something. I never had a still birth, but damn it was a lot of work and you always had to call a neighbor for help to pull. I'm going to get goats again, but this time I'll be researching what breed are easier giving birth.

>>1057331
>>1057336
It only matters to prune the trusses. That is only allowing x number of tomatoes per truss. Most commercial places leave 3-4 tomatoes per truss for non-cherry cultivars. This allows those tomatoes to grow much larger.

All other pruning is merely for your personal preference. In a commercial setting most places want a single long vine, so they prune all the suckers, all the time. Those vines can reach 70 feet long in a greenhouse after a few years. For the home garden you can do whatever you want, it doesn't really matter too much. The only main concern is that the excess leaves from not pruning are not preventing moisture from evaporating quickly. If there's too much rain then a tightly packed bunch of plants may suffer from bacterial and fungal infections faster than normal.

One of the best ways to prevent the latter problems is to remove all the bottom leaves below the truss that has tomatoes that are no longer growing larger. They only need the leaves below them to grow. Once that part is over, they need to ripen, but do not require the lower leaves. Stripping them off allows more air flow through the rest of the plant.

Personally, I try to remove suckers and leaves from the 1st 12 inches of the plant above the ground. That's just to allow air under them and prevent soil splash during the rainy season before mulch can be laid down.

>>1057357
What shape do you want the plant to be? Think about that. You could take a cutting and make a new tree from it.
>>
>>1057358
I'm not the guy with the tree, just curious.
The way you said "just in case it's from the rootstock" made it sound like it'd only be a concern if it was a grafted tree.
>>
>>1057370
That wasn't me, but he's correct. The root stock is always a different cultivar or even a different species of tree. You can keep it if you want to, but it will mean your main tree will be a bit smaller for longer. Sometimes, the grafted rootstock will actually cut off the other tree if you allow it to grow. That's a bit rare, but it happens. If you want to ensure a healthy tree and it is grafted, always cut off the suckers from the rootstock. If it isn't grafted then it is merely up to you if you want suckers growing. It will just make it bushier.

Keep in mind that allowing two trunks to grow can cause tons of problems for non-dwarf trees. Dwarf cultivars will still have problems, but nothing like non-dwarfs. They grow huge then a storm comes along and splits one or both trunks right off to the ground. With a dwarf you have the option of pruning and keeping everything more bush-like to some extent.
>>
File: corn.jpg (3MB, 1872x3328px) Image search: [Google]
corn.jpg
3MB, 1872x3328px
here is the corn.
>>
File: pumpkin.jpg (3MB, 1872x3328px) Image search: [Google]
pumpkin.jpg
3MB, 1872x3328px
>>1057415
and the pumpkin.
>>
>>1057332
Have a look at >>1057372, it seems allowing your tree to develop two trunks may cause problems when it's older.
>>
File: New, Prickly Friends.jpg (147KB, 856x704px) Image search: [Google]
New, Prickly Friends.jpg
147KB, 856x704px
>>1056905
Here are the cacti, more /plant/ than /homegrowmen/ though.

>>1056911
Thanks.

>>1057340
Regular Cranberries.

Sorry for your loss man.
>>
File: Banzai!.jpg (224KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
Banzai!.jpg
224KB, 992x744px
>>1057476
Wasabi. Still alive, still growing new leaves. Even the ones I started from seeds grow. The germination rate is awful though.
>>
File: This is Only the Beginning!.jpg (1MB, 2232x1984px) Image search: [Google]
This is Only the Beginning!.jpg
1MB, 2232x1984px
>>1057477
I find new fruit on my plants every day now. Stealing that other Anons format so I wont shit the thread up more than i already do.
>>
File: Fat Veggies.jpg (348KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
Fat Veggies.jpg
348KB, 992x744px
>>1057478
Full veggie garden.
>>
File: IMG_20170711_161237.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_161237.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
>>1057480
>>1057478
>>1057477
Very nice mang. How difficult is the wasabi to grow? I wonder how the real stuff tastes.

>my snibbed beppers
Super bushy, with a fuckton of flower buds. Thanks again to whatever anon recommended it.
>>
>>1057504
>How difficult is the wasabi to grow?
So far, manageable. It has very specific requirements though. I basically just followed the advice from the wikihow link some Anon gave me here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Wasabi

I placed mine under a short and wide tree next to a pond because I felt this recreates its native environment best.
For soil I mixed equal parts potting soil, gardneners compost (compost soil), regular sandy soil that's everywhere around here and some regular compost that hadn't completely turned into soil yet. tried to emulate forest soil and kept mixing til it resembled it imo.
I water it with regular rain water by can, with the rose attached. No fertilizer yet. Not sure what to use.
Note that is all done by rule of thumb, the internet or completely blind, maybe I just haven't killed it YET.
>>
File: 20170711_121328-864x864.jpg (231KB, 864x864px) Image search: [Google]
20170711_121328-864x864.jpg
231KB, 864x864px
First time growing carrot, I think I done pretty well. It a baby carrot variety, though some have hole in it, should I still eat it?
>>
File: 20170711_121326-864x864.jpg (458KB, 864x864px) Image search: [Google]
20170711_121326-864x864.jpg
458KB, 864x864px
>>1057528
End up with a lot of carrot top, can I cook it or something?
>>
This question is probably crazy but:
How feasible would it be to grow your own bamboo for plant stakes?
i know you should probably keep it in a container so it wont take over your entire garden, but would that be enough?
How big would the container have to be to supply, say, 50 plants?
What variants would be doable? In Central Europe mind you.
How fast would it grow?
>>
>>1057529
>>1057528
Good stuff! I'd eat all my carrots, flaws and all.

The greens taste kind of like parsley. I like cooking with it, but be careful not to use too much.

>>1057480
Comfy AF, are those blackberries and grapes on the closer end?

>>1057504
>>1057478
Man, I love the aesthetic of pepper plants, especially the purple flower/leave ones. Y'alls look a lot prettier than mine do right now.
>>
>>1057528
Holes are often caused by some sort of maggot, check if they're still in there and wash them out, I had a couple last year and simply cut those areas out
>>
File: gabion-basket-09302016-1200x630.jpg (227KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
gabion-basket-09302016-1200x630.jpg
227KB, 1200x630px
>>1057528
lol Nice. My last carrots were short, fat, and ugly. Still tasty. They are fine, just cut out and areas of dark discoloration.

>>1057529
You could wash, dehydrate, and use it as a seasoning for soups. Otherwise, just compost it.

>>1057415
That corn looks lonely, you may need to hand fertilize it. Otherwise, you'll not get a full head of corn.

>>1057477
I don't know why, but this makes me think of the burdock I'm trying this year for their roots. Probably because both are considered Asian delicacies.

>>1057478
I really love that deep purple one.

>>1057542
>How feasible would it be to grow your own bamboo for plant stakes?

Very feasible. Make a decision about which kind you want, clumping or running. The "running" bamboo is HIGHLY invasive and can really really wreck your property and your neighbor's property if it isn't properly contained. But, the invasive is the best for getting quick returns on tons of stakes and non-structural building materials in 1-3 years.

>50 plants

You'll need several containers. Metal may be better than plastic because it may resist the root pressure for longer. Otherwise, plastic ones will burst open. You can help prevent this, but having a 3-6 inch sand zone between the soil and the container walls. It should go all the way to the bottom of the container. You then take a hand saw/cross cut saw and saw down into the sand, cutting through all the roots. This helps prevent roots from creating pressure on the walls of the container and allows it to last longer. Another less labor intensive method is to use large river stones a similar 6+ inch wide zone in the same manner as the sand. That will aid in air pruning the roots. I wouldn't rely on the air pruning method for this.

I've been researching it a lot since I just got some invasive bamboo, >>1055036 So, I think I've come up with the best solution, Gabion Baskets. Basically, create a tall, air pruning, raised bed using gabions and stone (pic).
>>
File: DSCN1773a.jpg (790KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1773a.jpg
790KB, 1024x1536px
>"Hey anon?"
>Yeah?
>"Want some horse manure?"
>YEAH!!
>drive 20 miles
>forget pitch fork
>had to load everything with a shovel

So tired. At least the cargo unload makes short work of unloading.
>>
>>1057690
I didn't have enough space to store all of those top so I just throw it back into the garden to let it compost there.
>>
What herbs are good to grow in 10a? Are herbs easy enough that I don't need to find a particular good guide?
>>
>>1057786
In your (almost) frost-free climate, you can probably grow them all.
I'm in 8a and have as perennial herbs outside: thyme (regular and lemon-scented), chive, rosemary, sage, lemon balm, several mints, Greek oregano, majoram, savory, lavender (angustifolia, latifolia, stoechas). Only bay laurel gets occasional frost damage in cold winters here, but should work easily for you
>>
>>1057801
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>1057504
Graag gedaan! I'm glad it worked out so well for you.
>>
File: IMG_1687.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1687.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Day 3 or 4 of my casia javanica seedlings

They growing surprisingly well
>>
File: IMG_1688.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1688.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Any idea what these are? My cousin had me plant them for me but doesn't know the name. Says they're kind of aquatic and medicinal or added to water.
>>
>>1058118
I recognize that plant. Looks like pic related right? It's peperomia pellucida. Have loads of that here. It's a vigorous plant. My mum eats it as a salad. Read it was helps people with arthritis and diabetes.
>>
I've got a packet of seeds, and it says to bury them 1/16 of an inch below the surface.
That's practically nothing, would the seeds be fine if I just scattered them on the ground?
>>
>>1058238
No, don't be so lazy. Also the young and feeble roots are less likely to be damaged by drying out or sunlight if covered with wet soil. Give your plants the best chance and you'll get more out of them.
>>
>>1058238
I guess these seeds are about 2mm large? There are a lot of seeds that you bury under their own height in soil. Here you can sieve some soil on top of it
>>
>>1058238
Yes, but if you put some soil on top of them they are less at risk of being eaten by birds, and they will have an easier time shedding the seed husk (which sometimes manages to get stuck on the cotyledons and kills the seedling) as it will (be more likely to) stay stuck in the soil so the seedlings have to pull themselves out of it, rather than try to break it open if it's out of the soil.

>>1058247
3mm of soil won't do anything to stop roots drying out unless you keep it soaked all the time.
>>
>>1057480
After 5,5 months it finally arrived, that sweet spot where you'll find more and more peppers on your plants each day!

>>1057611
>Comfy AF, are those blackberries and grapes on the closer end?
Thanks.
It's Cassis and a blackberry/raspberry hybrid. Can't wait for jam made from them.

>>1057611
>>1057690
The variant is called Peruvian Purple. For the dark leaves you have to toss it in direct, blistering sun. If you harden it off, it'll stay green(ish).

>>1057690
>Burdock
They are edible?
>>
All of my peppers have buds now, 90% are blossoming already, 80% started fruit and around 60% carrying quite some already.
>Just started and already in the three digits
>>
File: Mudblood Pepper.jpg (143KB, 560x992px) Image search: [Google]
Mudblood Pepper.jpg
143KB, 560x992px
>>1058276
Word of advice. This is what happens when you don't prevent cross pollination, kids!
>It's supposed to be Tabasco, but it obviously crossed with the Peruvian Purple

Well, maybe they turn out cool looking and/or delicious and I've accidentially created my very own cultivar.

Also I swear I'm done blogging (spamming) in /hgm/ for now!
>>
>>1058274
>>1058276
>>1058277

Nice plants. All my peppers are fruiting nicely, except my ghost peppers. I have 4 plants and they've been flowering now for about 3 weeks but drop every one. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just how it is. I've never grown em before.
>>
File: DSCN1770a.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1770a.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>tfw living in a rainforest and it is raining all the time

The rainy season ended like a month ago....but it didn't. Funny thing is, all the weather websites say there's no rain here. Even the radar maps are clean for this area.
>>
File: DSCN1778a.jpg (174KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1778a.jpg
174KB, 1024x768px
>>1058286
There's been so much rain that a lot of the nightshade family plants have aerial roots almost to the very top of the plant. I've been needing to pick the tomatoes the instant they show any signs of ripening then ripen them indoors. Otherwise, they will start rotting because the isopods can climb up and start munching on them when everything is wet.
>>
>Shouldn't plant carrots in the same spot more than once every 3 years

Really?
>>
>>1058404
You should always rotate your crops so that no similar variety is planted in or near the same place within 3 years. Then ensures that plant-specific pests and diseases have their life cycle interrupted. That means less problems for your plants.
>>
File: 2017-07-12_18-48-29.jpg (1003KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-12_18-48-29.jpg
1003KB, 1800x1200px
>>1058277
>This is what happens when you don't prevent cross pollination, kids!
Unfortunately also happened to my tomatoes
Pic related were supposed to be San Marzanos from seeds I saved last year (thought I could select a little from the best plant with least blight), apparently it crossbred with something else and now regressed into a sort of "pseudo-Roma" type
>>
File: 2017-07-12_17-56-56.jpg (1MB, 1504x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-12_17-56-56.jpg
1MB, 1504x2000px
>>1057528
Mine look like shit, it was just too dry most of the time here, and though I loosened and added compost to the clay soil before sowing back in March, it was probably still too compact too.
But well, they'll be good enough for freezing
>>
What do you all wear when outside working? Even back when I cleared brush and worked in the woods I've always just worn jeans but, are there better choices? Particular brands that last a while and have utility? Hoping to avoid Carhartt honestly...

>feeding animals
>building/fixing fences
>light construction
>gardening

All that stuff.
>>
File: kern.jpg (3MB, 2784x3712px) Image search: [Google]
kern.jpg
3MB, 2784x3712px
I think my corn has autism
>>
How disgusting are chickens? My mom seems to think that chickens are absolutely nasty and hateful, but I want to get some in my backyard (three or five or so) for eggs.
>>
File: overalls.jpg (41KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
overalls.jpg
41KB, 750x750px
>>1058607
I wear these, it's kinda traditional around here to wear these for garden work.
>>
>>1058655

Cleaning the pen of 3 to 5 is probably about as gross as cleaning the litter box of 2 cats.

Probably less if you stay on top of it or use the deep bedding method
>>
>>1058655
Pretty gross, birds in general are pretty nasty. I hope you're not a fan of grass in your backyard, either. They're also useful for compost.
>>
>>1058659
Do you wear any pants under overalls?
>>
>>1058607
Heavy Duty Carpenter's Jeans w/gusset (All American Clothing Co.)
2-inch Wide Logger Button Suspenders (suspenderstore.com) I installed Jean button rivets in the pants for the suspenders. Normal sewn in buttons just fall off in a few days, even with kevlar thread.
White Shirt
Ginormous Cowboy Sombrero w/stampede string. Because, fuck the sun.

>>1058635
That would be very interesting for seed saving and regrowing.

>>1058655
I've yet to see a disgusting animal other than in looks. If properly cared for and allowed to roam free in a large enough area, every farm animal I know is very clean and fastidious. However, if you put them in a small area or a crowded area or an area that is poorly designed everything literally turns to shit.

They are only hateful if you treat them poorly or incorrectly. The only exception would be some breeds of roosters, who will take a bad attitude to some people (usually because of poor body language).

Cleaning a rooster area (chicken coop) can be quick and easy or fucking terrible. It all depends on how you design it and what type of litter you are using. Litter depth should be pretty deep.
>>
>>1058674
>rooster area

"Roosting area", fixed
>>
>>1058667
I wear long johns under them in winter and briefs during summer. I always wear merino wool when working, in all my working career nothing has even come close to merino wool undergarments.
>>
>>1058663
I don't find this true at all.

But I free range my birds, I have 7 of them. I only clean their coop like once a month, more like 6 weeks in the warm season. No smells. Ventilation in a coop is important.

Free range, they poop outside mostly. They also need less feed and get a broader more appropriate diet. I've also never had any sort of parasite or disease problem in 5 years of owning them and bringing in new birds. I attribute it to the free ranging. We have hawks circling frequently but I've never lost one to predation. There's plenty of shrubs and some trees they hide under...they're pretty smart when you leave them to their instincts.

My only issueso are that I have to hunt for eggs sometimes, and they WILL shit on your porch once they realize you come out from that door with feed. But I put a gate up and solved that.
>>
File: 712 012.jpg (883KB, 1371x1029px) Image search: [Google]
712 012.jpg
883KB, 1371x1029px
Watermelon patch.
>>
File: 1489960763000.jpg (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1489960763000.jpg
3MB, 2048x1536px
Status update.
>>
best mix of herbs for tea that grow well in semi-shaded areas?
>>
>>1058765
Mints are always a good bet. Which reminds me, I should go pick some wild bergamot while I'm thinking of it.
>>
>>1058424
Does planting multiple crops of the same variety in the same bed in the same season increase risk of disease? If so, is that something farmers just have to deal with?
>>
hey yall, im looking to try to grow something for the first time in my life, and i'm really digging the idea of peppers. Unfortunately, my only option is to grow it indoors, in pittsburgh, where it's cloudy almost all year. Which (if any) peppers will grow in those kinds of conditions? I dont mind buying a lamp to help with the sunlight
>>
>>1058674
The house I grew up in had a chicken coop/run in the yard that the previous owner had put there. The coop itself was great but it had been put in a really bad position in the yard that made cleaning it a nightmare. People are pretty dumb when it comes to stuff like that, for some reason.
>>
My neighbor gave me a big basket of russet and red potatoes yesterday. I did not grow white potatoes this year, only sweet. Had leftover sweet potatoes from last year that sprouted, so I dunked them in hydrated peat and perlite, had enough starts for a 30 foot row.

Can anyone recommend the best way to preserve some of these white potatoes for sprouting and growing next March? In the past I've stored them in a 55F cool room, but they sprouted in January and were toast by late February. What's the best method?
>>
>>1058781
The life cycle of some insects do have multiple emergences during a single season (like cabbage moths). For those types, it can become a problem as the season gets longer.

This is nothing like having overwintering pests, in old mulch that was left in the garden for the next season (like squash bugs). When that happens, it is the stuff of nightmares.

>>1058788
I sometimes overwinter my pepper plants. I just use some shop lights. They often times bloom and fruit indoors during the winter.

>>1058790
I think it comes from inexperience and lack of forethought.

>>1058811
You will need to cure them then store them. Normally, storage lasts only about 3-4 months at max under perfect conditions. You may want to plant those potatoes, let them grow then harvest their smaller tubers as seed potatoes for next year.

Temps and humidity are the most important part:
https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-cure-and-store-potatoes/

With the purple majesty potatoes I've been growing, I replant them immediately after harvesting them and overwinter them in the ground where they will grow for next season. I can get away with that due to the cultivar. Stuff like Yukon Gold doesn't make it through the winter like that.

Remember, all those sprouts can be planted in pots in the late winter, if you have enough room. I can usually snap off sprouts 4-6 different times when storing potatoes and use them for growing new plants.
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
Is this the smoketree or glassy-winged sharpshooter? Is my grapevine kill with Pierce's disease?
>>
What the fuck.

On my walk home today i found what looks like a marrow plant growing along the edge of the local park.

I know for sure it is definetly a type of squash plant as they have very distinctive flowers.

But, and here is where it gets weird, Squash crops arnt even native here.
Someone must have tossed seeds there and somehow it has managed to thrive against all odds.
>>
>>1058963
A bird may have eaten squash scraps out of a trash can and deposited the seeds there.
>>
>>1058737
I should have planted more watermelon.
>>
File: reece[1].jpg (27KB, 504x415px) Image search: [Google]
reece[1].jpg
27KB, 504x415px
>>1056897
They do lift the plant if you grow them upside down anon.
>>
What to do with an overwatered potted pepper?
>>
>>1059041
Water it less?
I'm not sure there's any quick fix or countermeasure for overwatering besides that.
>>
>>1059050
I left a couple of pots out in the rain last night. They are suffering
>>
>>1059053
Make sure there's enough drain holes. Prevent rain from water logging them.
>>
>>1059053
Are you sure it's due to overwatering and not temperature changes or something like that? It doesn't sound right to me that it'd be showing symptoms less than a day after the rain.
I've had plants under standing water for nearly a whole day due to heavy rain and they didn't develop any noticeable symptoms.
>>
>>1059062
probably both it's just extremely droopy now
>>
>>1059074
Ah, I've had droopiness in some of my plants due to rain before.
It went away within the next couple of days.
>>
>>1058448
It's what's on the inside that counts, anon.
>>
File: IMG_20170713_170139.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170713_170139.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
I'm still amazed at how well everything is doing, and how much stuff I got, seeing how I just got the idea to plant one or 2 peppers at the end of march, with as good as no experience growing anything. It escalated quickly.
All from seed, except the storebought basil, and the gifted chives.
>>
File: IMG_20170713_165227.jpg (1MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170713_165227.jpg
1MB, 2610x4640px
>>1059127
A single shideshoot on the Explosive Ember, at least 20 flowerbuds. Even the tiniest new shoots are pushing out buds.
>>
>>1059131
Very nice. It is going to be loaded.
>>
>>1058788
You can grow them all indoors basically. If ypou have a nice sunny window, everything will be fine. If not, get a light. If you do, you can put them on the windowsill outside on nice days.

I recommend coconut substrate for soil, not as messy as soil imho. But you will need to look into fertilizer pretty fast.

For variants, I recommend either go look online what appeals to you or visit a local gardening center or home depot. Most variants offered here are selected for yield and sturdyness.
You could go for a nice Hybrid (name endes in F1), especially Apache F1 is nice. Hard to kill and yields many peppers even when grown in an empty pudding cup.
Otherwise Cayenne Variants are always a good bet and come in many colors and are easy to dry in an oven to make chile flakes.
Habaneros and Jalapenos need a lot of root space so unless you have a place for LARGE pots or are okay with tiny yields, I wouldn't recommend them.
Superhots are much easier to grow than people claim but unless you love intestine scorching food they aren't really worth it except for novelty.
If you want a really hot variant I would recommend Scotch Bonnets. They do well in pots too.
Hungarian Hot Wax do well in pots and are delicious pickled, so they are an option and easy to save for later use.
Tabasco yields nice and also looks really good with all the flowers and eventually red tips prodruding from the plant.
Aji Pineapple gets rather big in pots, so do Rocotos. The latter also gets kinda fluffy.
Everything that has "snack" or "mini" in it's name is bred for pots. But most of those are sweet peppers.
Peruvian Purple looks really, really cool with its dark foliage and fruits which also taste good.
Mesilla Peppers or Serranos are also good if you want a more "normal" looking chile pepper.
>>
>>1059171
Additional:
Don't buy one of those mini greenhouse to start them if you begin from seeds. Either put saran wrap over your regular pots or go have a few jogurts or bubble teas or whatever and save those plastic cups with domes. Cut holes in the bottom and a few on opposite ends on the lower dome, fill the cups with half an inch of stones, then soil, put seeds in, water well, put lid on and put then in a warm, sunny spot. Voila, home made mini greenhouse.
Or just put transparent plastic cups over the plant on your normal pot, same thing basically.
>>
File: 1499719398555.jpg (281KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
1499719398555.jpg
281KB, 992x744px
>>1059023
You are a life saver Anon, thanks.
>>
>>1059127
Where did you buy the seeds for the Caramel Jolokia? I want one for my Superhots container.
>>
File: IMG_20170711_160928.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_160928.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1059174
fataliiseeds.net, tho they are sold out at the moment. He does have chocolat caramel jolokia seeds for sale right now.
>>
>tfw live in an apartment so i cant really have a real garden
>made a few dwc buckets with sorghum, and a lemon tree
Sorghum is almost ready to harvest and my tomatos ovaries are getting bigger
How exciting
>>
>>1059180
These?
http://www.fataliiseeds.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=596&search=Caramel
>>
>>1059171
>>1059172
Thanks for the great advice! The Apache F1 sounds great, I'll look online for some seeds. If you have any other tips for a first timer let me know!
>>
>>1059265
Cloudy outside is still a lot more light then inside with a lamp.
>>1059203
Yup
>>
>>1059265
Yw.
You could ask the Belgian Anon here about topping (snibbing).
Also don't overwater. They can take sry soil for a day but will rot when always sopping wet.

>>1059276
Okay, thanks.
Btw your other peppers have likely crossbred with the Bhut Jolokia, so if you save seeds, your Explosive Ember becomes something more like a Nuked Forest Fire.
>>
>>1059295
The Bhut has put out only one flower so far, which I finger first and then I wash my hands.
Though I sortof want to mix em all up and see if I can get some weird crossings, but I already have little space and many plans for next year.
>>
Is it possible to breed 2 diffrent F1 varietys of peppers?
>>
is it possible to buy Apache F1 in the US? i can't find any sites that are located in the US and the UK sites can't export it
>>
>>1059315
Yes, but the result will be an odd mismatch of whatever is left over from the parent genes. You'll need to slice up the flowers and hand pollinate to prevent self pollination.
>>
File: whyyou.jpg (151KB, 1295x971px) Image search: [Google]
whyyou.jpg
151KB, 1295x971px
I think I just wasted a shitload of time and money with trying to adapt 1/4" soaker hoses linked to vinyl hoses (for areas I don't want water) around my garden. The first section of soaker hose gets a lot of water, the next...a little bit, barely any on third, and nothing on the rest. I'm assuming there's just too much of a pressure loss as it goes further down the line. All of it is plumbed in series.
>>
>>1059330
Yeah, they are best used in parallel. Even then it isn't great. It is better to use the solid tubing and punch holes in it with the little hoses that go to the base of each plant. Soaker hoses are best used 1 at a time using a timer system.
>>
>>1059337
Argh. Too low of pressure, the water can't ascend to a higher section of hose. Increasing to higher water pressure and all the water bleeds out of the first section of soaker.

Guess it's back to manual watering for a while.
>>
>>1059350
Some soaker hoses are better than others, but finding which ones work better is a waste of time.
>>
What can i use chocolate mint for?
I just made some disgusting tomato and mint pasta.
It was rancid.
>>
>>1059327
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kings-Seeds-Pepper-Chilli-Apache-F1-10-Seeds-/361149223874?hash=item54162bd3c2:g:WBwAAOSw2XFUifVs

This one seems to ship worldwide.
>>
>>1059381
http://www.organicauthority.com/organic-gardening/10-growing-tips-and-uses-for-chocolate-mint.html
2 seconds in Google.
>>
>>1059381
Herbal tea
Candy
>>
>>1059381
Also, if you're not sure how the ingredients will taste beforehand, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from munching a leaf before you make some abomination.
>>
>>1059350
How about using olla watering instead?
>>
>>1059381
Tea, incense, potpourri or extract oil.
>>
>>1059327
Check new meixco University chilli program.

They are kinda want pricey but they are the ones that breed alot of the fancy varieties.
>>
>>1059583
Nvm they don't have it but they do have some cool stuff

https://chile.nmsu.edu/seeds
>>
>>1059381
>disgusting tomato and mint pasta
kek...that's sounds awful

maybe look into making a drink

I got my first round of cherry tomatoes and made pasta

I have not been watering them, but the last couple days have been super rain heavy....I wonder if that's what made them start to split on me
>>
>>1059350
Are you using the hard recycled rubber soaker hoses?
A fabric soaker hose might work better, the water may have an easier time penetrating it.
>>
>>1059127
>>1059131
Pepper-San, I just planted 8 cayenne seedlings today, but I have a bag of mixed chilli seeds, what's the best way to raise a chilli seed? And would open-air growing be okay for chilli plants?
>>
How long do pepper seeds take to germinate.

Yes I fell for the pepper meme.
>>
>>1059717
1-2 weeks
>>
>>1059265
>>1059171
>>1059583
NMSU Chile Pepper Institute are a little up their own asses, but they can ask these prices for a reason. Their books are whats really useful though
Recommendation s going from their list:
https://chile.nmsu.edu/details/707
https://chile.nmsu.edu/details/401
https://chile.nmsu.edu/details/414

Also they list their Tabasco as C.Annuum?

But you don't have to buy there. I got my seeds mostly from eBay and they were all fine. Just buy from experienced sellers with good reputation.

This shop looks good imo (I'm European, so this is entirely Google), and its considerably cheaper. And it's chile seeds, something hard to screw up anyway.
Going from my original list:
http://www.rareseeds.com/cayenne-long-thin-pepper/
http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-cayenne-pepper/
http://www.rareseeds.com/scotch-bonnet-yellow/
http://www.rareseeds.com/serrano-tampequino/
http://www.rareseeds.com/tabasco-pepper/

With these, and following basic growing instruction, anybody should be able to be successful.
Although the selection is purely from a rational perspective.
Like I said earlier, I do recommend looking around for stuff that appeals to the person growing them. If you want Carolina Reapers, 7Pot Douglahs, Moruga Scorpions and Bhut Jolokias and have your friends never again touch any food you made, go for it.
If you want oddly shaped peppers in rare colours, go for it, growing stuff is supposed to be fun.
>>
>>1059605
>.I wonder if that's what made them start to split on me

That is it exactly.
>>
I downloaded the 400 pdf torrent from the pastebin but it's a bit overwhelming, where should I start reading? I was thinking of starting of with some herbs until I get the hang of it and maybe some vegetables next year.
>>
>>1059761
Always start with what you are interested in.
>>
>>1055900
What to grow indoors besides peppers?
>>
>>1059817
I think tomatoes are a common indoor plant.
But really, you can grow practically anything indoors as long as you have enough grow lights and water and a big enough pot.
>>
>>1059723
thanks pepper-san u've been really helpful! I've screenshotted your posts for future use. Really excited to start this whole process now.
>>
>>1059736
well I ate the ones that had split, and the weather looks to be evening out more, so I think the rest that are ripening should be okay
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtw20iv16kg

found this hidden gem on youtube
>>
>>1057693
Please tell me you put a cover in the bed of your truck first
>>
File: IMG_0385.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0385.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I see a lot of these shiny beetles like pic related in my garden. They look pretty but are they bad for my melons and flowers? Can someone id them?

1/2
>>
>>1060124
Evil Japanese beetles kill on sight
>>
>>1060115
See that thing on the tailgate? It is one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-cargo-unloader-60800.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3ZugqIAJE

Besides, pickup trucks are meant to get dirty.

>>1060125
Seconding. Chickens love them, fyi.
>>
>>1060017
Base, nigga anit Wrong
>>
File: IMG_20170329_093840.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_093840.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1059717
Most of mine germinated within 5 days, even the superhots, with the slowest poking their heads out in 9 days, but I did have a humidity dome and a heatmat, and soaked the seeds.

>>1059710
I'm honored, but this is also my first time, so I just might've been lucky. What I did
>soak seeds overnight in weak camomille tea (make tea with a bag, then again with the same bag, soak em in that second weaker tea)
>put in generic soil mixed with some perlite, on a heatmat (constant 25~35°C soil temp), under a dome
>put a cfl bulb on them when they started to germinate
>snib em when they have 2-3 sets of true leaves, leaving only the first set of baby leaves
>then again when the 2 new steams have ~4 sets of leaves, leaving 1 or 2 sets on them
>pot up when the roots fill the previous pot
>always a general potting soil mixed with perlite
>water only when the soil is very dry or if they droop their leaves when it's not super hot outside
>half strength fertilizer once a month
Open air depens on your climate I guess, I'm in Belgium, zone 8a/8b. They work in open air here, but do a lot better in a greenhouse. But as you can see, I have nothing special, not even a real garden, and they are thriving.
>>
File: IMG_9424.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9424.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1055900
I think this is the right thread to ask, is this dyer's woad?
I'm driving through Utah and I know it grows around here, so I got a plant from the side of the road that looks like pictures of the right plant

I want to use if to make blue dye
>>
>>1056011
grow well little pepper!
>>
Who here have a greenhouse? Did you build it yourself? How hard was it? How expensive was it? What materials did you use? Some pics would be nice.
>>
File: meller.jpg (250KB, 685x1270px) Image search: [Google]
meller.jpg
250KB, 685x1270px
>>1056011
grow well little bepper!
>>
File: DSCN1806a.jpg (922KB, 2048x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1806a.jpg
922KB, 2048x1532px
I have ascended.
>>
this thread general inspired me to make my garden from a crappy ornamental mess to a productive food plot. I've now got lots of veg on the go and will be able to put food on the table for a good while.
Thanks dudes and gals.

Sleep tight lil meller
>>
>>1060699
Awesome.
>>
>>1056011
Grow well, little pepper!
>>
I was told I needed bone meal but how do I apply it to existing plants?
>>
>>1060802
It depends on how much you need and what types of plants you are growing.
>>
I got a shit load of jalapenos, way more than I can eat. What's the best way to preserve them for later user?
>>
>>1060814
Dehydrate and grind to powder, at least that's what I'm gonna do with my Cayennes
>>
>>1060814
Pepper flakes and powder, usually.
>>
>>1060814

Pickle or freeze
>>
Just had my first homegrown garden tomato, it was delicious and full of flavor unlike the crap they sell at the store.
>>
File: 2016-09-24_14-54-38.jpg (222KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-24_14-54-38.jpg
222KB, 800x607px
>>1060850
You're in Western Yurop too?
Germoni here, all you get in stores are those Dutch greenhouse water tomatoes (no h8 against Holland though, I know they can privately grow them well too outside in their personal gardens just like I do, even if their wetter and cooler climate makes it harder)

That aside, homegrown S. lycopersicum x pimpinellifolium cherry/currant type are the fucking best
>>
>>1060856
It's like that here in America, too. Nothing you buy in a store will ever taste as good as something you grow yourself.
>>
>>1060859
Word, especially true for potatoes. It's a staple side dish here, so that time between May and July when I have to buy them from store (because those harvested the July before are either used up or no longer palatable at that point) really sucks
>tfw own potato harvest tomorrow
Can't wait
>>
>>1060814
Pickle them.
>>
>>1060863
Can't you just make other side dishes?
>>
File: IMG_20170715_134858.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170715_134858.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>1059180
Still bulking, not many flowers yet. Beginning of next week we should get higher temps again, I'm hoping it'll finally take off then.
>>
File: IMG_20170715_134840.jpg (3MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170715_134840.jpg
3MB, 2610x4640px
>>1060879
>>
>>1060877
Well I eat noodles and rice too (none of which I make myself), but nothing beats the first 'taters of the season
>>
>>1059764
Well yes, but that's not even close to relevant to my question.
>>
>>1060887
How is it not?
>>
>>1060889
Well I asked what books I should read to get started, I have absolutely zero knowledge of growing anything and I'd like to learn the basics first. Start with what you're interested in doesn't point me to the books in the torrent that explain the basics of gardening.
>>
>>1060911
Yes it does. What are you interested in growing? Start with that.
>>
>>1060919
Like I said, I'd like to start with just some herbs and move on to vegetables later. Yeah, I've read the herb pdf's but I don't know anything about what ground to use, what tools I need, when to harvest, how to get seeds from the plants, how many times to water them, when and how to trim or harvest, germinating is a thing apparently, composting, generally caring for plants, and so on. I'm a complete noob so interest doesn't give me any knowledge and there being 400 pdf's makes it a bit hard to choose a book to start with.
>>
>>1060814
You can pickle pretty much anything to make it last for years.
You could also sell or trade to people in your area.
>>
>>1060929
You make a list of foods/herbs/flowers you want to grow. Then you research how to grow them. For th basics try this,

https://www.almanac.com/vegetable-garden-planning-for-beginners

You will still need to alter your methods based on individual plant type needs. There's also these books,

Gardening for Dummies
Vegetable Gardening for Dummies
Gardening Basics for Dummies

If you want to learn about one herb or vegetable, like basil, you google stuff like this,

Basil seed germination
How to grow basil
Basil soil type

And so on. For things like composting, just google up stuff about it. There's lots of info out there.

>>1060814
I dehydrate then grind them to powder for seasoning. I also dice them up and freeze them as well as pressure can them. I make salsa for fresh eating and pressure canning. If you dehydrate them and grind them, I suggest you vacuum seal it in jars and store them in the freezer if you have lots. Once opened, it will remain "fresh" tasting for about 2 months. After that it'll taste like store bought ground/crushed pepper seasoning.
>>
Is it normal for worms to crawl up/out of a worm bin after heavy rain?
Will they find their way back inside once it dries out a little?
>>
>>1061068
yes, they are trying not to drown.
>>
>>1058286
nice webm
>>
File: IMG_20170716_130501.jpg (4MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_130501.jpg
4MB, 2976x3968px
>>1060879
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Superhots are mostly C.Chinense, as your Bulk Jolokia (partially) is too.

Same with my Carolina Reapers and Habaneros.
Pic related, the Habaneros who are the furthest ahead (While some C.Annuums ripen already.
>>
File: foto_no_exif (1).jpg (524KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif (1).jpg
524KB, 2560x1440px
I know this isn't really growing related but I don't see a foraging thread. I went to forage for food for the first time today and found pic related. I live in the UK midlands. Are these walnuts?
>>
>>1061346
Those look nothing like walnuts.
>>
>>1061303
Got Jalapenos and Cayenne out the ass, Habaneros aren't doing to well, do they take longer to start producing?
>>
File: IMG_20170716_152353.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_152353.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>1061303
Good to hear, thanks!
>>
File: IMG_20170716_153119.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_153119.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1061368
>>
File: IMG_20170716_153556.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_153556.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
>>1061369
>>
>>1061346
apples
>>
>>1061368
>>1061369
Now that's a pepper bush! How long has it taken you to grow that plant?
>>
>>1061374
Seed went into the ground at March 30th. Topped it twice, as advised by anons.
I did the same for the others, but this one is pushing out the most sideshoots and flowers. Even the tiniest ones have 3+ flower buds starting to show.
>>
>>1061372
holy shit how did I not notice that
i am going to eat something poisonous i am sure of it
>>
>>1061383
Apple trees need a decent amount of upkeep for them to have apples that look like the ones in stores. I have a tree on the edge of my yard and for years I though it was crab apples, but really just little ugly apples. I make apples sauce from them now.
>>
File: IMG_20170716_133039.jpg (1MB, 1938x2723px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_133039.jpg
1MB, 1938x2723px
>>1061362
Yes. Sorry if i wasn't clear enough.
Also Jalapenos and Cayennes are C.Annuum, which are the most common of the 5 domesticated Capsicums for a reason.
They grow fast, without a fuuz and almost everywhere.

>>1061368
>>1061369
>>1061371
Please tell me you bring them inside when it gets colder.
>>
>>1061387
yeah but still it is obvious
they even go off like apples when I cut them open
>>
>>1057690
>Very feasible
Dude, that's a wealth of information, thank you!
>>
File: They See Me Growin',They Hatin'.jpg (2MB, 5205x993px) Image search: [Google]
They See Me Growin',They Hatin'.jpg
2MB, 5205x993px
>>1056895
Another week is over, can not believe how much they gained this week again. Especially considering they push out fruit like crazy now.
>>
File: Should I Plant Another Layer.jpg (358KB, 744x992px) Image search: [Google]
Should I Plant Another Layer.jpg
358KB, 744x992px
>>1061368
>>1061362
>>1061434
>>1056905
And the Habanero planter, as you can see, not much too see yet in regards of fruit.
>>
>>1061397
That was the plan, yes, but I hope to get at least another 8 weeks before they start to die. I'm gonna try making some into bonsai, and will try to overwinter the rest by cutting them back.

>>1061434
>>1061440
Nice.
>>
>>1061445
Thanks.
8 weeks easy. More like 10 or even 11.
Also don't you dare to bonsai the Bulk Jolokia, breh!
>>
File: image2.jpg (2MB, 2448x1632px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
2MB, 2448x1632px
Eeyup lads, newbie here. Started growing over the last few months and began easy with mint. Took some experimental cuttings around 2 weeks ago and have already had to repot as they were growing too big for the pot.

Can anyone give me recs for other herbs or possibly veggies that can grow well in containers?
>>
>>1061453
Nah, bolivian rainbow & explosive ember are my favs atm, they grow nice n dense with small leaves. My bulk yolokia has single leaves almost the size of a bonsai canopy, I don't think it would do well, heh. Impressive trunk tho, but it isn't turning woody (yet?).
My friend has a 7pot pepper that isn't doing too well, but its leaves are even bigger than my jolokias' leaves. I'll ask him for a pic.

>>1061470
Thyme turned out to be piss easy for me. Dump some seeds in a pot and water it very occasionally.
>>
>>1061470
Peppers.
>>
>>1061470
Always peppers, son. Also, if you like lemons, those do well in containers too. Tomatoes work as well. Also, pretty much any herb is ezpz to grow. Go get your parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme on.
>>
File: index.jpg (326KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
326KB, 1200x1600px
>>1061479
>>
>>1061512
Your friend should go back to whatever shithole spawned that garbage meme.
>>
File: IMG_20170716_123022.jpg (2MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_123022.jpg
2MB, 4640x3480px
hey plant aficionados I need some help,

I got a cutling of a weird bamboo plant last month and I've been trying to root it since my home needs more decoration.

after about 2 weeks white metallic shiny stuff started appearing around the base of the cut and I thought it was getting moldy and I should start over. But someone told me to keep it there until all the leaves wilt - I figured whatever.

Tiny brown stubs started sticking out of the white stuff but they aren't growing any longer it seems.

Can someone shed some light on what's happening here? (pic attached)
>>
>>1061516
How sad are you that people doing something makes you so salty.
>>
>>1061516
what
>>
>>1061540
It's a non-4chan meme, and some people that come here like to think they are superior, and shitting on others is what you're supposed to do.
>>
>>1061543
No, it just isn't funny. For the record, I don't think most 4chan memes are funny either. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a ruler or even your hand for scale.
>>
>>1061543
Wow. Considering that that guy knew that to begin with, and actually got angry about something so completely insignificant, should be quite telling. Looks like even /out/ doesn't escape the sekrit club.
>>
>>1061554
>Muh sekrit club
How sad that people are still perpetuating this shitty meme.
>>
>>1061552
>it just isn't funny
>don't think most 4chan memes are funny either
No one cares, just hide em instead of shitting up a thread. Which I will do too with all these, so don't bother replying.
>>
>>1061527
That's really odd. How often are you changing the water? Yes, keep at it until the tops actually die. Change the water every couple of days.

>>1061538
to
>>1061556
Go and stay go. This is a Homegrowmen thread.
>>
>>1060593
...Thanks guys... for nothing...
>>
>>1061592
maybe try /diy/ for that
>>
>>1061592
I have this cheap plastic thing >>1060154
It's already tearing at some seams, so I think it's mean to be single-year use, but so far it works great for some beppers >>1061371
Gonna get something better for next year, I'm really enjoying growing stuff, a lot more than I expected.
>>
>>1061592
I think a greenhouse is a little patrician for a website full of plebs.
>>
File: 1475608389371.png (2MB, 1136x832px) Image search: [Google]
1475608389371.png
2MB, 1136x832px
>>1061592
There was a guy that posted about his green house before. but all it was made from was 2by4s and what looked like a clear poly sheeting.

I build four raised beds for my mom for mothers day and it just so happens that the greenhouse my father bought from tractor supply fits over them. So we're going to try to grow some cold weather crops over the winter. kinda like the picture
>>
File: 1424094900030.jpg (41KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1424094900030.jpg
41KB, 512x384px
>>1061621
>2by4s
>>
File: 1497854828451.jpg (114KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
1497854828451.jpg
114KB, 980x735px
>>1061623
referring to the lumber. c'mon now
>>
>>1061624
Google would've told him, but still, it's a very American word, I only happen to know it because I dabbled a bit in /diy/.
>>
>>1061625
There are people who have never heard of 2x4s before?
>>
>>1061625
>>1061626
I think that reply was more about how it was written. I've never seen "2by4" before.
>>
>>1061632
>>1061626
No, 2 by 4 isn't commonly used outside the us, afaik. Probably because it's imperial, I think there was a metric equivalent that's used around here, but I can't remember it at the moment.
>>
I HATE YELLOW JACKETS SO FUCKING MUCH

I'M TRYING TO FIX MY DECK AND MY DOGS STIR UP THE FUCKING NEST THAT WASN'T BOTHERING ME AND THEY GET STUNG AND I GET STUNG MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>1061652
If it's somewhere where your dogs can stir it up, it clearly was a nuisance and should've been removed. Your dog's health > Some random wasps
>>
>>1061654

Well, before this it wasn't a problem. They were just left alone and my dogs didn't bother them and everything was fine. Then, when I was outside about thirty minutes ago my dogs start smacking at the air and sneezing and a yelllow jacket stings my glove (and goes through what the fuck) so I call a retreat and we run inside.

They're dead tomorrow when I can go get some genociding foam. The yellow jewkets have declared war.
>>
>>1061527
>>1061583
you're suppose to switch the water.... oooh boy
well I just did that - and during the process the white stuff kinda fell off....
>>
>>1061656
Spray at night when most are inside. Repeat 3 nights in a row to get them all; some will still be out for whatever reason after the 1st spray at night.
>>
>>1061652
Look up on Google "yellow jacket trap pop bottle" and you will see a cheap and simple way to make a trap for Yellow Jackets.

You basically take a 2 L pop bottle and cut off the top part, then stick it back ino the bottom part, inverted. The result is something that works like a lobster trap. In the bottom of the trap, you put some sugary liquid (such as pop), and you also put in some cut-up hot dogs or other small pieces of meat. Sugar will attract a lot of insects, but the meat will draw the wasps and hornets, since they are carnivorous insects. The wasps will fly into the trap to get at the smell of sugar and meat, but are too stupid to escape the trap. You can have a pop bottle full of dead wasps, all for the small cost of a pop bottle and some hot dogs.

Hope it works out.
>>
>>1061690
>>1061703

They will be killed in cleansing foam tomorrow night and covered in mud. Fuck these monsters. There will be no traps. There will be no mercy.
>>
>>1056011
Grow well little pepper!!
>>
>>1061719
Purge the beasts, they are a scourge on the world.
>>
File: IMG_20170716_200113.jpg (3MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_200113.jpg
3MB, 1944x2592px
Does anyone know of a use for these peppers? The name is garden salsa but they are very thin shinned and inferior to jalapenos
>>
>>1061756
>Does anyone know of a use for these peppers?
>salsa in the name
hmmmm
>>
Anyone with experience growing Kaffir limes? I'm in a dry zone 10a, so I should be able to do it if I water enough right?
>>
>>1061773
Learn to read faggot
>>
>>1061791
Do you think you know more about salsa than the guy who named your pepper?
>>
>>1061815
Yes
>>
>>1061756
>>1061773
>>1061791
>>1061815
>>1061817
No need to be rude, brehs. Remember, peppers are LOVE, peppers are life.

Also:
>clearly some kind of generic Cayenne variant
>let fully ripen first
>deep red until they slightly start to dry on the plant.
>harvest
>cut stems off
>cut fruit into 1cm (>0,5in)thick rings
>place rings on baking sheet facing upwards
>heat oven to 80°C (175°F)
>put pepper rings in oven
>leave oven door slightly open
>leave rings in there until completely dry (they aren't flexible anymore at all)

There, fastest way to dry Cayenne peppers, an hour or two. And you can grind them into flakes or powder now, or leave them as rings, they look nice in a jar.
>>
Is it too late to start growing in zone 9a?
I've got shit sprouting out of my worm bin and I'm wondering if I should bother going to the trouble of planting them.
I think they might be cherry tomato vines.
>>
File: frost dates.png (16KB, 633x463px) Image search: [Google]
frost dates.png
16KB, 633x463px
>>1061964
>zone 9a

You have like 151 days left. That's plenty of time for most crops for their "days-to-maturity". Keep in mind that some companies give you that starting not when the seed is planted but when the plant start is set out into the ground. When you are checking days-to-maturity for cultivars, keep an eye out for that.
>>
>>1061973
>>1061964
I forgot to mention, if you cover your crops near the end of the season with a polytunnel you'll extend the temps by another temperature zone or 2.
>>
>>1061974
Days are getting shorter already he is going to end up with lots of vines of green tomatoes
>>
>>1062027
Not in Zone 9. I had ripe tomatoes in January in Zone 5 with a polytunnel. I even worked in a greenhouse that had thousands of tomato plants year round.
>>
>>1062027
>>1062030
I'll add that zone alone doesn't mean too much. I'm officially 8a, but being in Germany and 50°N it means very short and overcast days around October/November, so even if it won't freeze (first frost can be as late as Christmas in rare occasions), there simply isn't much growth to be had.
Unlike say 8a in Texas at 30°N
>>
File: WHZ-Mitteleuropa-big.gif (658KB, 2661x1943px) Image search: [Google]
WHZ-Mitteleuropa-big.gif
658KB, 2661x1943px
>>1062043
>>1062027
Tomato ripeness is more based on heat than sun.

Corn on the otherhand is tied directly to the amount of light it gets each day.

>germany zone 8

Such tiny tiny sections. lol
>>
>>1062053
Yep, near Mainz
I too picked some tomatoes green last November but had to ripen them indoors, no way they would've done it on the plant before rotting
>>
File: DSCN3416a.jpg (3MB, 3072x2300px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3416a.jpg
3MB, 3072x2300px
SUNDAY UPDATE: On Monday because yesterday I was too busy harvesting, 200pics reduced down to a handful...

Row-Column: Description

1-1: Main Garden, Massive continual rains have caused some tomato rot. I lost about 1/5th of the tomatoes due to that. This was the 1st harvest, so most were near or on the ground. Later harvests will have less problems.

1-1, 1-2, 2-1: The level of acrobatics I need to perform to navigate these rows and harvest the tomatoes is ninja-level.
1-3: The vines are taking over the potato patch.
2-2: This replanted potato row is sprouting edible weeds now.
2-4: This row is a bit nutrient deficient, but the catnip is doing well.
3-1: Tons of rain has all but kill this zucchini plant. I think it has a root rot problem and when the heat hit, it couldn't cope. It might come back, but I'm not worried, I have tons of zucchini.
3-3: I can't even get to this row now without hearing distant drumming and tribal music.
>>
File: DSCN3460b.jpg (4MB, 4088x3064px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3460b.jpg
4MB, 4088x3064px
>>1062075
1-1: The Catnip has been doing far better than I ever hoped it would. The last seasons I tried, I could never get the seeds t o germinate. This year was the last year to try. I have already tripled my return in seeds and I've only harvested like 2 flowers that were ready.
1-2: This is a 6lbs yellow zucchini that's about 18 inches long and 6-7 inches wide.
1-4: Gypsy peppers. I have several of these plants, deep in pumpkin leaves. They are growing taller than the pumpkin leaves so I'm not worried about them getting smothered; so long as I redirect the new vines around them.
2-1: You should be able to see several hanging luffa sponges in this image. There's roughly 90 days left before the 1st frost. Maybe this will be the 1st year I get a return on seeds and have proper sponges.
2-2, 2-3: Watermelon, either Orangeglo or some random one I saved from years past. I can't wait.
2-4: Close up of the edible weeds of one potato row. Almost all the sprouts are purslane. I've never seen so many before. The rest are mostly chickweed & lambs quarter. There's a bit of grass and datura.
3-1: The grape cuttings seem to be doing really well. The mulberry cuttings on the other hand are not doing well. Only a few are surviving. The rest just haven't developed root, even though they had leaves. I didn't use root hormone or willow water.
3-2: Peaches!
3-3, 3-4: The clay garden is hit hard with Japanese beetles. The sugar snap peas are almost at the end of their life. The remaining peas will be for seed.
4-1 to 4-3: The tomato cuttings in this garden are much slower growing than in the lower garden. The 3 generations of cuttings, will help ensure an extended crop regardless of rain, pest, or disease.
4-4: Main garden, pumpkin hill, and lower garden.
>>
File: DSCN3396b.jpg (4MB, 4096x3068px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3396b.jpg
4MB, 4096x3068px
>>1062077
1-1 to 1-4: Lower garden, it is doing okay despite being hard hit with moths & harlequin bugs. I've decided to install the insect cloth later when I plant for the fall/winter crop. The main red cabbage crop was harvested (10 heads!)
2-1: Pumpkin hill. It is now showing signs of squash bug damage. I'll be wading out into it and crushing the nymphs with vehemence.
2-2,2-3,2-4, & 3-1: Tomato plants in the Main garden prior to harvesting.
3-2: 40lbs of tomatoes.
3-3: A few of the remaining red cabbage.
3-4: a single purslane plant. I'll use this one for seed gathering.
4-1: The first purple sprouting broccoli!
4-2: Some of the many patches of blackberries. I'll be harvesting more today.
4-3: Back side of luffa sponge row. I need to remove bottom leaves so bad.
4-4: Pumpkin and watermelon. I'm getting all manner of weird teardrop-shaped pumpkin from the Dickinson pumpkin seeds I saved from last year. They are not shaped like that and there wasn't anything for them to cross with. Hopefully, they will be tasty, otherwise, I'll have tons of chicken feed for this winter.
>>
File: DSCN3494a.jpg (991KB, 2048x1530px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3494a.jpg
991KB, 2048x1530px
>>1062078
Japanese beetles on the green beans. They'd decimated the leaves, but the flowers are pouring out by the 100s. There's still hope. I've started upping my intervals of catching the beetles and feeding them to the fowl.
>>
File: DSCN3520a - Japanese Beetles.webm (3MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3520a - Japanese Beetles.webm
3MB, 240x180px
>>1062079
Feeding the Japanese beetles to the fowl.
>>
>>1062080
That was one of my favorite memories as a child

>Feeling them churn inside the craw
>>
This might be more /diy/ but I got the tip from here and it's for plant pots anyway, so:

Has anyone here ever worked with hypertufa?
I'm looking for a reliable recipe because every fucking google result vgives different recipes.
Also do I replace peat moss with cocohum or the perlite? Again every result says something different.
>>
>>1062133
You really need to experiment with it in very small batches for very small pots. Write down what you mix up so you know what works best. Swapping out the organic elements with other organic stuff will always be hit or miss. Yes, you can use other stuff, but it may change the ratios of what ingredients you need. The only real down side to experimenting is the length of time it takes to cure. You must be patient and cure it for the full length of time. Otherwise, nothing will work.

I suggest you pick those recipes that have the finished result actually photographed or youtubed where you can see what it looks like. Remember, most of the stuff online is made by someone just like you and normally wouldn't mind being contacted with questions. Like when I was learning wine/mead making, I emailed Jack Keller like once a month for half a year, with odd n00b questions I couldn't find anywhere else, and he was pretty cool about it.
>>
preventing my tomato plants from falling because of the weight of the fruits is driving me nuts
>>
>>1062155
Stakes and ties. Sometimes you need to tie up the trusses.
>>
>>1062136
Okay that sounds reasonable, will do.
Thanks Anon.
>>
Getting extremely low runoff pH (4.0-4.5) in some of my potted tomatoes. Tried flushing each with 3-4 gallons of plain water and it barley nudged. Any suggestions? I have hydrated lime but not sure how much I should use.
>>
>>1062342

are the tomatoes growing ok?
>>
File: cukes.jpg (4MB, 2784x3712px) Image search: [Google]
cukes.jpg
4MB, 2784x3712px
Why are my cucumbers getting chlorosis?
>>
>>1062345
nope, they have blossom end rot
>>
>>1062348

If you can, use wood ash mixed in water before you try the lime. It'll deliver other nutrients to you plant, and raise the pH a little slower.

I'd be REALLY cautious about using the lime, especially in potted plants.
>>
>>1062348
>>1062342
Use the lime. End rot is calcium deficiency. Which can be caused by flushing the soil like you've been doing and takes a while to correct as more bioavailable forms of calcium are freed up by microbes/fungi. I had the end rot problem due to rains earlier in the year. Thankfully, it self-corrected.

https://www.planetnatural.com/organic-gardening-guru/soil/
>>
>>1062346
Chlorosis in new leaves is usually iron deficiency.
>>
>>1062375

Actually, the more I look at it, I think it's drift from some roundup I sprayed.
>>
File: fishwater.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
fishwater.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
FloridaAnon, I thought you were crazy for having so many fish in your aquaponics setup.

Here I am with 3 dozen goldfish in 100gallons of water and I can't crack 1ppm nitrate.
>>
>>1062385
>roundup

Don't use or support that shit. There are plenty of alternatives. (manual cutting/weeding, vinegar, hot water, etc) If the roundup affects roots then it could be that since that would also affect nutrient uptake.
>>
I just potted some mint from the store yesterday and now it looks like it has rust (some of the leaves are grey and curling and have some orange grains under them).

Do other species of rust than mint rust affect mint plants? I planted it in a pot that had some mold, but I don't think it should contain mint rust, since I've never grown mint. Do you think it's mint rust, and if it is, that it came from the pot rather than coming with the plant? I find it hard to believe that a store plant would have rust.

My dad also sprayed roundup on a nearby bed, but since the rust is visible I don't think it's the cause.
>>
>>1061956
Thank you kind xir
>>
>>1062412
None of the naturalistic alternatives come anywhere close to the effectiveness of stuff like Roundup. Not that it's very healthy, just much more effective than hearing the plants yell "ha, dumbass" when you throw vinegar on them. There's a good reason it became as widely used as it did.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>1062604
>>
File: based.jpg (44KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
44KB, 500x378px
>>1056006
>>1056007
>>1056009
>>1056012
NICE JOB ,anon

>>1056011
grow well little pepper!
>>
File: celery_man-4d3d3d3.gif (548KB, 203x335px) Image search: [Google]
celery_man-4d3d3d3.gif
548KB, 203x335px
Me again from thread #97 - I have successfully transplanted my strawberry plant to it's own big planter! It's since grown 5-8 new leaves and has 6 new strawberry buds on them, two of which have bloomed their flowers and are now developing strawberries!

Now it's time for war! The war on Squirrels! Gray squirrels, to be precise. Everything I can find online says the only effective way to keep squirrels from your garden is to trap and relocate them (no poisons or repelling agents are commercially available), but I can't help but think that someone somewhere has had come up with a method by now for keeping squirrels away from their bounty without moving or killing them. After all - we put man on the moon, successfully grant the deaf the ability to hear again, and genetically modify our food to repel pests and disease, not to mention the medical marvels of the past 100 years - but we can't keep an 18-inch, 1lb mammal out of a 4' x 4' bed? Bullshit.

So what have you come up with? I was thinking about moving the planter to the back yard where the dogs could protect it, but the dogs aren't always outside and the plant won't get the sunlight it needs on that side of the house. The bastards will get their grubby little paws on my strawberries through chicken wire, and a fine mesh would block out too much sun.

Has anyone ever had to keep squirrels at bay, and if so - what was the solution?

Thanks in advance - you guys are helpful and friendly, a rarity on 4chan!
>>
File: 76a 1.jpg (2MB, 2992x2992px) Image search: [Google]
76a 1.jpg
2MB, 2992x2992px
New to /out/ here's my plot
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 91

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.