[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #98

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 105

File: 98.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
98.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
Old thread: >>1043291

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

https://pastebin.com/4CqXsHFm

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
>tfw finding more and more adult squash bugs and eggs on my pumpkin plants

It constantly feels like the shoe is gonna drop any day now. I can't even step into the plants to maintain them there's so many. Hopefully, that will also save them.
>>
My neighbor gifted me some plants today, they're all herbs. Rosemary, African Basil, Flatleaf Parsley, and Stevia. I'm in zone 6, so from what I understand the Rosemary is the only perennial, with the parsley being a biannual.

I don't mind putting the Basil and parsley in my garden, but the Rosemary, being long living, needs a better home. 3 gallon ceramic pot? It's own corner of a raised bed box? What do you guys suggest? General tips on these herbs are welcome!
>>
My marjoram cuttings are all grown up now. Well 11 days older and going strong. I'm glad they got through when the main plant I cut it from was half burned thanks to a freak heatwave. Just need to successfully grow sage so my rosemary, lemongrass, and mint have company. Couldn't get them seeds sprouting even after a long cold stratification in the fridge. Is soaking them for a day and then cold stratifying them too much?
>>
File: trinny.jpg (112KB, 723x892px) Image search: [Google]
trinny.jpg
112KB, 723x892px
>Trinidad Scorpion plant finally grew the one Pepper (about marble size)
>suddenly flowers like all hell and starts growing 12 more
>discover today that some are ripening when they are only half or even quarter of the size of the 1st one

Gonna guess it's because it's Winter here? Still fairly sunny and not much rain where I'm at but I take it indoors to a well lit and warmish room of a night so the frost doesn't get it.
>>
File: 1497459145944.jpg (14KB, 186x250px) Image search: [Google]
1497459145944.jpg
14KB, 186x250px
First time using wood mulch, is there anything I should know? Change it yearly? Don't put it too close to root? Home for slug?
>>
>>1049661
Isopods and slugs love it in the spring when it is raining a lot. After that, it is great for weed suppression and retaining moisture in the ground. You can leave it all winter long, just rake it away from the plants in the spring to prevent isopods and slugs from destroying your stuff.
>>
>>1049652
It looks lovely in its own raised bed box, but if you don't have space, rosemary would do well in a 3 gallon container. Put well-draining soil, don't over water it, and place it somewhere sunny, but not scorching that it'll wilt from too much heat. I occasionally give mine a haircut to get bundles to dry and encourage the nice green growth.
>>
File: gimmie five.gif (1MB, 300x275px) Image search: [Google]
gimmie five.gif
1MB, 300x275px
I want to start keeping a seed vault. What's the best method(s) for making my seeds last as long as possible?

I found a guide that advises to bake rice to dry it out, then placing your seeds in the rice for 2 weeks to dry THEM out, then vacuum-sealing the seeds before placing them in the freezer - which makes the seeds last in a dormant state for ~10 years. Are there any alternative methods that'll give seeds an even longer shelf life? How about methods that don't rely on modern appliances like the freezer?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>1049842
Plant heirloom plants yearly and collect seeds each year. Seed vaults are helpful but for personal use keeping a working garden is good enough.
>>
>>1049842
Drying them good is key. After that I've never had any trouble with the crisper drawer in the fridge or just a mason jar
>>
File: rsz_20170701_131458.jpg (396KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170701_131458.jpg
396KB, 1080x1080px
I done some research and found out these guys are dodder, a parasite. How do I deal with them?
>>
File: Photo0885.jpg (1MB, 3188x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0885.jpg
1MB, 3188x1200px
>put a piece of tile under a zucchini to prevent it from rotting when I water the plant
>rots anyway

now that really made me think
>>
>>1049987
I wont help you grow the devils lettuce. But my tomato seeds germinate just fine in a wet paper towel for a few days.
>>
>>1049987
If you knew this would lead to a shitstorm with no meaningful advice, eventually leading to deletion and potential ban, why did you insist on posting it?
>>
>>1049978

looks spindley as fuck
>>
File: 20170701_165753-1.jpg (2MB, 1810x2763px) Image search: [Google]
20170701_165753-1.jpg
2MB, 1810x2763px
When do i transplant these white onions?
>>
>>1050034

When they were seeds

Root crops dont transplant well
>>
>>1050043
Sheeiiit okay I guess I'll just thin them out
>>
File: valerian_root_large.jpg (19KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
valerian_root_large.jpg
19KB, 320x480px
I asked in the foragers thread but maybe someone here knows, do I really have to wait a year before I can harvest my valerian for use as a sleep aid?
>>
File: pickles.jpg (4MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
pickles.jpg
4MB, 4640x3480px
Turned 5 of my first cucumbers into three jars of pickles.

The cukes were a little old, but thats no big deal. I grew the lil peppers too.

More cucumbers on the way, and lots of Roma tomatoes to make ketchup
>>
>>1049637
Mine have tiny holes in their leaves here and there. Is that what causes them?
>>
>>1050034
Trim the tops down to 4 inches and transplant them now.

>>1050043
Onions are commonly transplanted like this.

>>1050080
Very nice. I've been doing onions and potatoes this past week. My cucumbers are not producing yet. Though, I've harvested/butchered over $1k in produce/meat this year already.
>>
>>1050145

You manage to dry out enough onions before they rotted?
>>
>>1050142
Might be melon beetle, cucumber beetle, or squash beetle. I see tons of each all over everything. The squash beetles leave a big hole on the edge of the leaf that looks like lace, because it leaves the "skeleton" of the leaf behind. The rest make small random holes.
>>
>>1050147
They are doing fine so far. I'll be putting them in a screened shelf thing with a box fan on them for a while (2-3 weeks). Once cured they will go in deep storage. The last of the onion tops are still dehydrating and should be turned into soup powder by tomorrow. That was over 80lbs of onions.
>>
File: KERN.jpg (353KB, 1024x1868px) Image search: [Google]
KERN.jpg
353KB, 1024x1868px
Ayyy y'all. I use to post as DFW bro here until my shit went downhill.

Corn question, can anyone guide me as to how frequently to side dress and how much nitrogen I am looking for. I'm not organic or anything, I have a bag of 21-0-0 and then 12-12-12 fert.

I put down 2.7oz of 21-0-0 June 13 when the corn was about 12" tall. I got that usage because the bag (for lawn use) says 50lbs for 10,000sq-ft. This corn is in an 8x4 bed so that's 32sq-ft which would be ~2.56oz if I followed the bag but that's for lawns.... I would rather figure out how many pounds CORN needs per sq-ft. Just feel like it's slowing down in growth.
>>
>>1050258
Oh and when I prepped the beds I put down 10.7oz (per bed) of 12-12-12 fert and raked it in. This is 50/50 top soil and compost.
>>
>>1050258
>>1050261
Sounds like you shouldn't put in anymore. Do a soil test.
>>
The last two times I've grown tomatoes they got some kind of fungus. Looks like leaf mold from the pics I can find online.
Do I need to put some sort of clear umbrella/roof over them to keep their leaves dry? Or is it more likely it's a soil fungus?
In which case, should I just give up on growing non-potted tomatoes?
>>
>>1050403
Very likely this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytophthora_infestans
It's often in the soil and then gets sprayed on the leaves when it rains or during watering
A roof is best, mulch helps too, I do both
>>
>>1050417
>At first, the spots are gray-green and water-soaked, but they soon enlarge and turn dark brown and firm, with a rough surface.
The spots on my tomato leaves are yellow. They also don't turn brown. The leaves themselves turn brown eventually, but it doesn't seem to radiate from the spots, I think it's just the leaf as a whole dying.
>>
I'm growing Habanero chilies in my backyard. Still in their early stage, but growing steadily. Will post pics when it stops raining.
>>
File: Habanero_chillies[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Habanero_chillies[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1050434
Here they are. I started to dry out used tea bags and spread the tea around them.
>>
File: Tea_drying_setup[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Tea_drying_setup[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1050434
Here is my drying rack which I use to dry the teabags.
>>
File: 2017-07-02_13-30-43.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-02_13-30-43.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>1050436
Errr... those don't look anything like pepper plants, more like a sort of geranium I'd guess? You started them from seed?
For comparison, some of my peppers
>>
>>1050446
Wow, those look great.
>You started them from seed?
I did start from seed which I got from my colleague who is also growing them. I wonder what the problem could be then?
>>
>>1050448
>I wonder what the problem could be then?
Did you use normal soil/started them directly in the garden? If so, weed seeds will most likely be present
>>
>>1050448
Could be that the chili didnt sprout, and you're tending a weed instead.
>>
>>1050417
>It's often in the soil
Is there anything that can be done about this before planting next season?
>>
>>1050453
Not that I know of, other than not planting any nightshades such as tomatoes, potatoes, peppers... for the next several years in a big radius
>>
>>1050436

That aint no pepper plant ive ever seen.

Thats a weed brah
>>
>>1050449
Yes, he told me to plant directly.
>>
>>1049978
you know you can grow zucchini up a stake right? It takes up a pretty unreasonable amount of space otherwise I think.
That fruit failure in your pic is common enough and it happens, don't worry anon as your plant will do better when it's a little more mature.

>>1050258
According to the Utah State Extension program: "In addition to the fertilizer used when preparing the site, sweet corn needs additional
nitrogen fertilizer to produce optimum yields. Sidedress sweet corn with 1/2 lb of 34-0-0 per 100 square feet
when plants have 8-10 leaves and with an additional 1/4 lb when the first silks appear. Place the fertilizer 6
inches to the side of the plant and irrigate it into the soil."
>>
Lads,
I've planted my agar plates with the pearl oyster spawn a bit under the surface as they were starting to fruit by themselves.
Will i get any mushrooms this year? the weather has been all over the place so the soil is warmer than it should be in winter at around 13-14 C.

Another question: Do the 'shrooms need special fertilisation or soil pH? The soil pH is around 6 or so, but I've been making fertiliser out of urine and ash that ends up around dead neutral, I also have a few organic fertiisers including pelletised chicken manure I can use.
>>
>>1050467
I'm not the mushroom guy, but I'm pretty sure their special fertilizer is what they are growing on.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
What is happening to my bush bean plant? It's split down the middle kinda looks like a bird got into it? Please help. It also feels kinda woody around the area that it is split.
>>
>>1050462
>you know you can grow zucchini up a stake right?

Not that anon, but I've yet to grow non-bush type zucchini. I'd need to order those online since no one carries their seeds around here.
>>
File: ShitterDed.jpg (167KB, 960x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ShitterDed.jpg
167KB, 960x1600px
>>1049633
Wtf is wrong with it?!
There was this one weed in the same pot with 1 GIANT root
>>
>>1050488
I've been seeing that happen to some of my plants, due to heavy rains earlier on. That is "BSR" brown stem rot (maybe Phytophthora). There's a chance it will survive. How's the watering for that? Is it wetter than other soils? The soil spray all over everything indicates you are housing it down fairly harshly and it isn't just caused by rain splatter. I recommend putting a stone on the soil surface and pouring water over those. That will reduce soil splatter, infections from soil splatter, and since you are not using mulch, the stone won't block evaporation of soil moisture.

>>1050499
That's a small plant and those are old leaves. Did you recently set that plant outside in the sun in the past 2 weeks or so? It could be old sun scald damage. New growth won't have that. Are those leaves in the background kind of yellowish or is that just the photo? If they are yellowish then it probably have too much water. If it does have too much water and those dead spots are not sun scald then it would be caused by nutrient defeciency caused by too much water.

So, water less if it isn't sun scald. If it is sun scald, don't worry because the problem is over now, the new leaves will be fine.
>>
File: DSCN1441b.jpg (4MB, 3072x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1441b.jpg
4MB, 3072x4608px
SUNDAY UPDATE: Jungle Edition

I've been unable to keep the vines at bay. Already 5 entire paths have been consumed by rampant vine growth. Pumpkin Hill has also spilled over into the lower garden.

Row-Column: Description

1-1: Main garden.
1-2 & 2-1: Trying to take photos from the same spot every time is proving futile. It is like looking into a jungle.
2-2: I've begun harvesting the oldest potatoes and garlic. I'll be replanting this bed when I'm done.
2-3: I'm hoping the soil in this bed improves with the removal of the onions. The peppers plants in that bed are still really tiny.
3-1: I've already started trading zucchini with neighbors, family, and friends. These things produce like mad. I'm filling my freezer with sliced zucchini and squash, in bags of flour for frying later on in the winter.
3-2: The pumpkin plants are a bit crowding in this bed, but I've been moving their leaves around to allow the pepper plants and such to reach full sun.
3-3: The tomatillos in this bed are taking over one side. Everything else seems to be doing rather well. The luffa sponge plants are doing better, but are still being attacked by something that wilts a few leaves here and there.
4-1,2,3: Pumpkin Hill. There are many dozens of flowers in bloom under that sea of green leaves. The entire place sounded like an airport this morning due to all the bees. I've been seeing more and more vine borer moths flying around looking like some forgotten Soviet jet design from the 1950s. They make me more nervous than the squash bugs.
5-1: Except for the chard, this bed is nearly a total loss due to caterpillars. I received the insect cloth recently, but won't be putting it on until I rip these plants out and plant the winter crop.
6-1: These sunflowers are doing well, but the cucumbers planted at the base don't seem to want to climb all that well.
6-2: Beit Alpha cucumber.
6-3: Red cabbage in pots are faring better than ones in beds. They are not getting eaten up as much by caterpillars.
>>
File: DSCN1494a.jpg (5MB, 3056x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1494a.jpg
5MB, 3056x4608px
>>1050517
1-1: This was originally a pot for ginger plants. They are not doing all that well, due to unseasonal cold nights. Instead this purslane plant has exploded with growth and is being as delicious as possible.
1-2,3: One of the few pots of comfrey plants and its blooms.
2-1: The birdhouse gourds are growing larger than I anticipated. There's also so many I can't even begin to count them all let alone even find them all.
2-2: This volunteer squash will be tested for edibility today.
2-3 & 3-3: This volunteer squash plant suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I haven't planted this type of ornamental squash for several years now. They are tasty when eaten young.
3-1, 4-1, 4-2, & 4-3: The tomatoes are going crazy now. Many of the bottom leaves are dying off, as normal. As I remove them I get to see into the jungle a bit further. It is quite amazing in there.
3-1 & 5-3: Some of the watermelon plants are still surviving the weird weather and trying to produce fruit. The only problem is that the fruit is pretty small when it stops growing. Like really small.
5-1: The luffa sponge plants are finally blooming more and more now. Hopefully, they will have mature seeds by first frost.
5-2: One of the lost paths. There's no hope trying to go in, you may not come out again.
6-1,2,3: The clay garden is doing well. Though, there's a ton of Japanese beetles on the beans that I need to pick off and feed to the chickens.
>>
File: DSCN1525a.jpg (586KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1525a.jpg
586KB, 2048x1536px
>>1050519
ENEMY SPOTTED!!!

Clockwise from top left:

Hornworm
Squash Bugs
Melon Beetle
Japanese Beetles

I'm leaving the hornworm on the tomato plant until tonight. I'll be testing out the UV flashlight to see if I can more easily spot the hornworms. I've been seeing lots of frass on the ground, path, and bricks. I know they are there.
>>
File: DSCN1434a.jpg (1MB, 1024x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1434a.jpg
1MB, 1024x2304px
>>1050520
Last,

The oldest of the Purple Majesty plants are being harvested today. That 5-gallon bucket holds 35.5lbs/16.1kg of potatoes. I found out the price of organic purple majesty potatoes, in this area right now, is $4 USD per pound/3.50€ 0.45kg!! So, that bucket has $142/124.3€ worth of potatoes in it. Which is completely crazy that people actually pay that price!
>>
>>1050459
Put the seeds in small pots with starting soil, keep warm, moist but not wet and well lit. Transplant when they are at least 3 inches. Works better imho.
>>
Harvested my shallots today.

I planted 17 sets and got 78 back so pretty good result.

i also made some pesto with basil from my garden.
>>
File: ShitterJul2.jpg (170KB, 960x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ShitterJul2.jpg
170KB, 960x1600px
>>1050516
Heres the other larger one growing on the
balcony
It has a tiny bit off yellowish spots where the stem meets the leaf
>>
File: 4 Weeks of Pepper Growth.jpg (1MB, 3718x991px) Image search: [Google]
4 Weeks of Pepper Growth.jpg
1MB, 3718x991px
I think my peppers finally made it, they slowly grow like I expected them to.
I could still hit myself for how wuzzy I was with them when it came to putting them outside/hardening them off. They could be a good 4 weeks further ahead as they are.
Also their 2018 successors will definetly be snibbed. Couldn't bring myself to do it this year, but next year, no mercy. I want bushier growth.
>>
File: Wasabi Keeps Growing.jpg (232KB, 744x992px) Image search: [Google]
Wasabi Keeps Growing.jpg
232KB, 744x992px
>>1050546
My wasabi is a source of joy. I have no idea what I'm doing, just went with the tips and links i got from /hgm/ Anons, but the wasabi seems to like it so far. He keeps growing steadily.

One leaf died though. Is this something that happens or should I be worried/ looking for causes?
>>
File: Swole Habaneros.jpg (645KB, 2237x733px) Image search: [Google]
Swole Habaneros.jpg
645KB, 2237x733px
>>1050549
My Habanero Container.
I also have Habaneros in pots as well as in the bed, but they seem to particularly enjoying this container.
They bulk like a crazy /fit/izen.
>>
File: Mortgage Lifter Memes.jpg (947KB, 2773x987px) Image search: [Google]
Mortgage Lifter Memes.jpg
947KB, 2773x987px
>>1050556
Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes.
I thought I was being memed for a while, but they kept growing and growing, until I could see them from my window. Then they suddenly, fruit, so many flowers, so many small tomatoes that get bigger and bigger.
Now I can't see the plants from my window anymore, the tomatoes get to heavy and the plants budge, no matte how much support is added.
>>
File: Potted Peppers - Year Two.jpg (347KB, 744x992px) Image search: [Google]
Potted Peppers - Year Two.jpg
347KB, 744x992px
>>1050562
And finally, my potted peppers, didn't record progress as thorough as last year though. It worked well and my other projects take a lot of attention (still a novice gardener after all).
Still like how this looks, ignore the damaged lawn though.
>>
>>1050541
Most likely too much water.

>>1050546
Get some row covers for the end of the season and for an early start next year. You'll be glad you did!

>>1050549
It looks fine. I don't see anything other than a couple insect holes. Was the leaf one of the oldest leaves?

>>1050556
Did you make the planter?

>>1050562
I grew those about 2 years ago. I find that the week you are about to harvest, don't water them (within 3-4 days at least 7 at most). It will get rid of excess water in the tomatoes to a small extent and increase the flavor. The change doesn't simply come from there being less water in the tomato, that is negligible. It comes from the slight stress on the plant and it gearing up for harder dry times. However, if you have tons of new tomatoes coming on, don't give them tons of water after the dry week. Slowly increase their water over time. Otherwise, you'll end up with split tomatoes inside 2 days.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is this blight?
>>
>>1050582
>Get some row covers for the end of the season and for an early start next year. You'll be glad you did!
Like plastic covers for the ground?

>Was the leaf one of the oldest leaves?
It was one of the ones there when I bought it. Was a little brown on the edges too.

>Did you make the planter?
I wish. That was my grandpa. He was /diy/ and /hgm/ incarnate. Could not find a planter in good old East Germany, so he got concrete and made one! I would love to have another one like it, there is some space left that is too small for a bed and like I said, the peppers seem to love it (last year i had beans in it, they loved it too).

>don't water them (within 3-4 days at least 7 at most). It will get rid of excess water in the tomatoes to a small extent and increase the flavor
Good tip. Thank you.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1050588
>>
File: e3245z6tr.jpg (420KB, 1228x2048px) Image search: [Google]
e3245z6tr.jpg
420KB, 1228x2048px
>>
>>1050598
>>
File: ztgzt.jpg (497KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
ztgzt.jpg
497KB, 2048x1228px
>>1050600
>>
File: DSCN9684a.jpg (232KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9684a.jpg
232KB, 1024x768px
>>1050589
>Like plastic covers for the ground?

Like plastic that goes over your plants like a mini-greenhouse like these polytunnels.

>It was one of the ones there when I bought it.

Most likely just because it was old. Keep an eye out for any new developments on new leaves.

>I would love to have another one like it

Check out how to make "Hypertufa" planters. It is fairly easy, but requires a proper recipe with proper materials. It is really light when compared to normal concrete planters. You can do some amazing things with it.

>Good tip. Thank you.

Google it up,

https://www.google.com/search?q=don't+water+tomatoes+flavor

>>1050588
>>1050590
Yes.

>>1050598
What recipes do you use for those?
>>
File: 57rfghghj.jpg (525KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
57rfghghj.jpg
525KB, 2048x1228px
>>1050605
>>
>>1050606
a lot of dry grass
grass
>>
File: 8t76ugfch8.jpg (351KB, 1228x2048px) Image search: [Google]
8t76ugfch8.jpg
351KB, 1228x2048px
>>1050608
>>
File: 67tgz8ui.jpg (472KB, 1228x2048px) Image search: [Google]
67tgz8ui.jpg
472KB, 1228x2048px
>>1050614
>>
File: g76ift6.jpg (511KB, 1228x2048px) Image search: [Google]
g76ift6.jpg
511KB, 1228x2048px
>>1050617
>>
File: gfdsaHJ.jpg (208KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
gfdsaHJ.jpg
208KB, 1024x614px
>>1050620
>>
>>1050530
can you post pic please, I'll harvest mine in a few days but I think they did poorly desu
>>
File: Random weed.jpg (748KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Random weed.jpg
748KB, 1000x750px
Can I have some help, anons?

What are the plants in these pics?

The first was born in the same pot where I planted some basil seeds. The interesting thing is pic related have not been attacked once by those bugs, while if I were to cut all the leaves that have show signs of leaf miners, I would kill the basil plant.

Is barely noticeable, but the leafs are covered with small drops of something that looks like water. At first I thought it was morning dew, or rain, but given that all the leafs have this same water drops, and it never dries, I suppose the plant itself is producing it. Somehow, I suppose is also the responsible of keep leaf miners at bay.
>>
File: Random weed 02.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Random weed 02.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>1050681

Now this other was born in an empty pot I had lying around. I put some chilli seeds on there, but nothing sprout so I just forgot about it until I noticed this plant growing. I know isn't a chilli, but, I'm pretty sure neither this or the previous plant are the common weeds that sprout around here.

Also, the seed from where this was born was buried kind of deep. The stem is long and relatively thick and soft, but once it reached the surface it became woody and thin.
>>
File: IMG_20170702_215217.jpg (770KB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_215217.jpg
770KB, 2610x4640px
>>1050567
>>1050546
Nice man, looking forward to harvest pics!

>twilight pic of Numex Twilight
>>
File: IMG_20170702_214756.jpg (782KB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_214756.jpg
782KB, 2610x4640px
>>1050614
They look like they'll be delishious.

>insane amount of flowerbuds on this one, considering the size of the pant
>explosive ember
>>
File: IMG_20170702_212629.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_212629.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>
bunch of trees trying to come up in my yard. i just mow them down. big fuck you garden in august.
>>
>>1050736
Is true that green net protect plants against Plasmopara viticola?
>>
>>1050746
No idea, I just bought this online because it was cheap, I didn't want to spend too much since I didn't know if I'd like growing stuff.
>>
How much land do I need to have so much food that I don't have to buy anything?
>>
>>1050782
It really depends on your diet. Some foods take less space than others. You can increase land area by using multiple floors and increase growing duration by using greenhouses, depending on where you live. Then you have to say what is "anything"? Does that include all fertilizers? Because a small closed cycle is one that will eventually run down simply due to outgassing via fungi. You will need some sort of steady input of materials. If you include animals in that, what will they eat? Stuff you grow, stuff you buy, or both?

1 acre would mean very intensive farming, including indoor farming (grow lights, multiple floors, and greenhouses)
2 acres would mean all outdoor intensive farming (greenhouses at most)
3+ would be much more relaxed and standard types of modern farming (tractors, monocrops, etc). It won't produce as much, but it won't cost as much or be as much micromanagement.
>>
>>1050785
Thanks for your helpful response!
I'll screencap your reply to keep those questions in mind when I'll be planning how to manage my farm.
But right now I don't know answers for most of those questions. I'm still saving money to buy land and right now I just needed a rough estimate - do I need to buy 1 hectare of land or 10. I guess 2 hectares (5 acres) would be more than enough to become more financially independent.
>>
File: DSCN4678a.jpg (2MB, 2270x3220px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4678a.jpg
2MB, 2270x3220px
>>1050811
Buy as much land as you can afford while still being able to pay the taxes on it. You'll figure out everything else later. You will always be glad you got more than to get less.
>>
>>1050811
>>1050855
Not that anon but I might add that having a parcel of land for grazing animals, a food forest, reservoir, fruit trees or firewood might be part of your plan, so factor that in when buying land too.

Like the helpful anon said: you're much less likely to regret buying more land as opposed to less.
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (58KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
58KB, 900x900px
Why do they get so much hate?
>>
>>1050951
Are we performing an Autismato summoning ritual? Okay let's go.
Miracle-gro
Hostas
Tulips
Daisies
Lilies
Aloe
Spider plant
Flytraps
Marigolds
Shit, what else triggers this guy?
>>
>>1050954
>>1050951
And then I realized I was in the wrong thread. Who knows, maybe he might pop by still. But no seriously, don't use Miracle-Gro on your food crops, it's perfectly fine if you're growing ornamentals, though. Also, apparently slugs hate it.
>>
>>1050955
What wrong with using it on vegetable crop? I had some corn growing with it, was my first time growing vegetable.
>>
>>1050951
i got about 14 pounds, haven't used any. ordered it on a whim.
>>
>>1050951
Why not use compost tea, manure tea, urine water or coffee water?
>>
So i stupidly harvested my shallots on a wet day and as i pulled them out of the soil and separated the bulbs some of the outside skin came loose.

Will the exposed outer layer of the shallots harden and dry into new skin or have i fucked it all up?
>>
>>1051161
A noose, you fucking degenerate.
>>
File: vine.jpg (772KB, 1793x2789px) Image search: [Google]
vine.jpg
772KB, 1793x2789px
Hey /out/ists, found this growing in my yard, I think it's grape, can anyone id it so I can either pull it up or enjoy stuffed grape leaves
>>
>>1050606
>Like plastic that goes over your plants like a mini-greenhouse like these polytunnels.
Okay, I looked into these and will definetly get one.

>Hypertufa
Holy fuck, that is pretty muh what I was looking for.

Thanks again, Anon.

>>1050608
>>1050614
>>1050617
Looking good, what variants are you growing here?

>>1050732
Thanks.
>>1050732
>>1050735
>>1050736
These pictures are pretty cool and your peppers look good.
How's the BULK Jolokia?
>>
>>1051170
That looks nothing like grape.
>>
File: IMG_20170703_174631.jpg (5MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170703_174631.jpg
5MB, 4640x2610px
>>1051201
>How's the BULK Jolokia?
Bulkin'
>>
>>1051170
Possibly a potato vine
>>
File: IMG_20170703_175532.jpg (1MB, 2572x2634px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170703_175532.jpg
1MB, 2572x2634px
>>1051217
Close up of the stem. It's a real clusterfuck.
I removed some more leaves, on the bottom this time, they were resting on the soil and starting to look pretty bad.
It's putting out a bunch of flower buds on the 4 main stems, does anyone know how long it'll take from blooming flower to harvestable fruit?
>>
File: 45g678976t.jpg (541KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
45g678976t.jpg
541KB, 2048x1228px
>>1051201
I put different variants (bell,hot, red, local archaic..) maybe i made a mistake, they'll mix for sure. I'll update in one of future threads.
PS: Later planted seedlings
>>
>>1051227
That varies wildly from pepper to pepper.
Also depends on weather, soil, fertilization, etc.

From flower to harvest it may take up to 150+ days for some peppers.
>>
>>1051229
Even if they do, it's usually not hat bad and you may end up with a nice hybrid in some way.

If you want to harvest uncrossed seeds there are ways tp prevent cross pollination for single fruits or clusters.
>>
>>1051153
They should be fine. It would be better with the extra skin on them. It just means you need to wait longer for that fresher outer skin to dry out. Google up the right temps and humidity for that.
>>
>>1050516

Thank you, yes it is likely due to the heavy days of rain we've been having in Northern Ontario. The soil splatter was only caused by the rain. Luckily it'll be sunny all week starting today and the pots i am using have drainage holes.
>>
File: DSCN1568a.jpg (606KB, 1024x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1568a.jpg
606KB, 1024x1532px
>>1050521
I finished digging all the purple potatoes in that bed. The second half of hills didn't have as much as the first half. I was able to harvest 58.5lbs/26.5kg. I also harvested the garlic, though I've not weighed them yet.

The first Beit Alpha cucumber is on its way to making seeds for next season.

>>1050520
>I'll be testing out the UV flashlight to see if I can more easily spot the hornworms.

I tried using my small UV flashlight last night, but its cone of light is so small. I'll try a 2-feet long blacklight tonight. The small test was successful. The hornworms appear green while the plants appear purple.

>>1051259
>The soil splatter was only caused by the rain.

That must have been some really hard rain or the soil isn't draining as fast as a it needs to drain. You can a 1/2" layer of sand as mulch. It will still dry out, but not be as problematic as splattered soil. Sand and gravel are what I used for most of my potted plants, back in the day.
>>
>broccoli seeds sprouted into three nice plants that kept growing big leaves even though they were full of finger sized holes
>Tomatoes are oversahdowing the peppers
I just hope my tomatoes make it, now that they're finally growing fruit
>>
File: 1435901220150.png (75KB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1435901220150.png
75KB, 325x244px
>>1051307
>1/2" layer of sand

When will this sand meme die

Don't use sand in your soil

ever

no exceptions
>>
>>1051463
It does make your vegetables extra crunchy.
>>
>>1051463
>he doesn't want to be able to make sand castles in his garden
It's so comfy.
>>
Is there any way to tell whether a plant needs to be moved to a bigger pot without having to slide the dirt ball out a bit to look at the roots?
>>
>>1051501
Checking wont harm anything, unless the plant hasn't been in the pot long, or the root ball could fall apart.

If you see a lot of roots against the walls of the pot then it needs to be transplanted, if not you wont harm anything by taking it out of the pot to check.

They will usually have roots coming out of the bottom holes when it is time to change them.
>>
>>1050467
Bumping my question in the hope that mushroom anon will see it.
>>
>>1051463
It goes on top of the soil in this respect. "Sand Mulch".

Also, proper loam uses 1/3 sand.
>>
File: sandcastle.jpg (109KB, 435x518px) Image search: [Google]
sandcastle.jpg
109KB, 435x518px
>>1051463
What is your problem with sand? Most people I've seen use sand in their soil mixes, especially in wetter zones. I mean, still use good quality organic matter as the base, but what's wrong with up to 10% sand? Compaction? Compost/peat moss/Perlite/sand in order of greatest to least is my soil mix.
>>
>>1051528
>>1051605

Sand will encourage compaction in any percentage. It's not light enough to encourage drainage and just packs down the soil
>>
>>1051501
Yes, it's called making soil blocks.
They keep the roots air pruned when they get too big and you'll see them, at which point you can transplant.
It's a great way to grow seedlings, especially plants that go into transplant shock easily.
>>
>>1051666
It'd been working perfectly as a drainage enhancer in my gardens for over 30 years now. A 10 second test at home can show you why.
>>
File: IMG_20170704_153407.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170704_153407.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1051510
He's posting over here I think, maybe a better chance to get him >>>ck/9115528

Explosive Ember is starting to pick up speed with its flowers.
>>
File: fgsd.png (3MB, 1121x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fgsd.png
3MB, 1121x1000px
>>1051915
Cucamelon my friend gave me, 1 week difference
>>
>>1051917
Neat. Looks like a Bur Cucumber, but not as worthless.
>>
File: maxresdefault.gif (352KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.gif
352KB, 1280x720px
Sorry for the very late reply.

>>1049884
>personal use
That's the catch - I tend my garden plus a few others for folks around town and I want/need a contingency cache of seeds to both keep costs down and for disaster recovery.

>>1049886
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll have to experiment and see what works best for me.
>>
File: 20170703_165950.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170703_165950.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
These tomatos are getting orange, but how do I know when they're really done?
>>
>>1051926
When they are red?
>>
>>1051929
What about tomatos that ripen to yellow or orange?
>>
>>1051930
When they turn yellow or orange.

Idk maybe eat one.
>>
>>1051926
>>1051930
What kind of tomato's are they? A quick googling should tell you.
>>
>>1051926
I find ripe fruits usually require little effort to pull off of the stem. A gentle tug should tell you if they are ripe or not.
>>
>>1051936
This. A lot of fruits will pull off their stem with little to no real effort when fully ripe.
>>
File: 20170704_110536.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_110536.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
What plant is this?
>>
>>1051929
>>1051930
>>1051931
>>1051933
>>1051936
Sungold tomato. I tried to pull one out but a bit of the plant came off. They need a little more time, the inside had some green spots. Tasted kind of sweet anyway, though.
>>
I'm sure some of you can your meats and veggie harvest - what's some of the better pressure canners out there? If I'm going to drop money on a new appliance I want it to last as long as possible.
>>
>>1051940
weed
>>
>>1051940
What part of the world?
What does the stem look like?
Does it have tubers?
>>
>>1051926
>>1051944
Those get really orange-red when ripe.
>>
File: DSCN1574a.jpg (240KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1574a.jpg
240KB, 1024x768px
>>1050521
Now the bed has been replanted with more purple majesty potatoes. I increased the number of hills from 18 to 35. I want to see how packed these can get and still produce well.
>>
>>1051940
it looks like elder tree
>>
>>1051940

Literally just marigolds
>>
File: 20170704_185246.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_185246.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>1052000
Stem is some purply shit with green things that look like spikes but are actually soft, it might just be
>>1052147

But if it is, where are the flowers?
>>
File: 20170704_185029.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_185029.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
Also, what is this thing?
>>
File: july4.jpg (4MB, 3132x2349px) Image search: [Google]
july4.jpg
4MB, 3132x2349px
>>1052219

Oh dude that is definitely marigold. Let me take some better photos of mine for you. They're left bed, top right corner. They're kind of hidden behind my gigantic cosmos.

Marigolds will grow crazy tall if left to free grow. Once they get kind of root bound is when they flower. I think the same thing is happening with my cosmos. They won't fuckin' bloom.

My decorative corn is tassling and silking. Pumpkins are only putting off male flowers. Tomatoes are numerous but all green.

Finally got my aquaponics setup to cycle. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are all at 0, after many many weeks. Time to start prepping the inside setup for winter growing.

Not pictured is my hugelkultur bin, which is growing some really long cucumber vines.
>>
File: marigold.jpg (4MB, 2610x3480px) Image search: [Google]
marigold.jpg
4MB, 2610x3480px
>>1052219
>>1052298

Marigold will typically have a really distinctive smell when disturbed. I think it kind of smells like burning plastic, except less acrid.
>>
File: av.jpg (3MB, 2610x3480px) Image search: [Google]
av.jpg
3MB, 2610x3480px
>>1052308

oh look at that really neat mspaint artifact from me trying to crop that photo.

Here is something from inside. I've never been able to get an african violet to propagate from a dropped leaf before. I put this one in a pot of dirt and forgot about it for a month.
>>
File: tree.jpg (182KB, 1089x796px) Image search: [Google]
tree.jpg
182KB, 1089x796px
I need help identifying this tree, it has pink flowers, seeds come in pods that rattle
>>
File: mimosa flower.jpg (267KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mimosa flower.jpg
267KB, 1024x768px
>>1052312

Flower looks like this? Mimosa tree.
>>
>>1052316
no the flowers have petals, i think it's from the cassia genus but I'm not clear on the specific species
>>
File: tamarind flower.jpg (219KB, 639x640px) Image search: [Google]
tamarind flower.jpg
219KB, 639x640px
>>1052317

Flower looks like this? Tamarind tree.
>>
>>1052318
found it, it's cassia javanica
>>
File: Cassia javanica flower.jpg (169KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cassia javanica flower.jpg
169KB, 1600x1200px
>>1052320

Flower looks like this? Cassia javanica
>>
>>1052321
Yeah I've got 6 seeds germinated so far, will post updates
>>
File: IMG_20170705_170051.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170705_170051.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
Thinned out my tomato plant a bit. It got a bit bigger then I expected, with quite a lot of fruit, there were leaves growing over half of the fruits.
>>
>>1052652
>there were leaves growing over half of the fruits.

That's a good thing.
It stops them from getting green shoulder.
>>
I got a 'Pineberry' in the shop today which is a white strawberry that supposedly tastes like pineapples. Well, I tried one of the strawberries on there that was already ripe, and I couldn't figure out whether I was tasting strawberry or pineapple. The tastes didn't blend together, I for some reason just couldn't remember the difference in taste between a strawberry and a pineapple anymore. Now I have to go to the grocery store to find strawberries and a pineapple to compare the tastes, and then see which of the two the pineberries actually taste like.
>>
>>1052837
Huh, it turns out the common garden strawberry is actually a hybrid called Fragaria x ananassa, so maybe they do actually taste the same. But then, why mention it on the info sheet as if it were an exclusive trait of these 'pineberries'?
>>
>>1052669
Oh ._.
>>
File: 20170704_190715.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_190715.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
4th of july update from dfw anon about the balcony hanging watermellons.

Lots of new growth, and 3 mellers now.
>>
Is it normal for sweet potato flowers to die quickly? The ones forming on my plants open for 2-3 days and then turn brown.
>>
>>1052669
I think that's a myth. I've never had that happen and had my tomatoes fully exposed to the sun for the entire time they were developing, due to the plant leaning over.
>>
>>1052969
Most veggies plants are a 1-day thing.
>>
>>1052842
Marketing, anon.
>>
File: IMG_20170706_143304.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170706_143304.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
Keep on truckin'
>>
I grew some small, somewhat spicy, orange peppers last year, kept one of the plants alive (rootbound in a tiny pot, but hey) and now it's producing purple peppers. I'm not sure if this is what they looked like before ripening or if it really just changed colours all of a sudden. Serbian anon please advise, I grew them from the seeds of those little orange peppers everyone sells on the markets.
>>
File: DSCN1604a.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1604a.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
It Begins!
>>
File: DSCN1582a.jpg (864KB, 2046x1534px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1582a.jpg
864KB, 2046x1534px
>tfw eating salsa made from 100% fresh veggies from the garden
>>
File: 1499232301147.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1499232301147.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
>>1053387
>store bought chips
>>
>>1053399
We back?
>>
File: 20170706_100204.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170706_100204.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I have no garden, but I decided to grow an apricot tree. Wish me luck guys
>>
>>1053403
good luck on your journey, good luck on my journey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHQugyxqAc

i just thought it was funny, wasn't a constitutional soldier.
>>
File: DSCN0540b.jpg (892KB, 2052x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0540b.jpg
892KB, 2052x1532px
>>1053399
I didn't grow corn this year.
>>
>>1053382
Not the Serbian Anon, but a German one:
Most likely cross pollinated then.
Happens.
>>
>>1053478
On the same plant? I thought that would only happen to the offspring from the seeds of the cross-pollinated fruits. It was indoors, too.
>>
>>1053545
>I thought that would only happen to the offspring from the seeds of the cross-pollinated fruits.

Correct. The seeds you used were open-pollinated/hybrid. Meaning who knows what you'd get with them.
>>
>>1049633
just wanted to say I've been using worm castings to fertilize my pepper plants this year and the yields have never been larger. this stuff is amazing.
>>
File: 2017-07-06 22.25.58.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-06 22.25.58.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey /hgm/, i would like to make decent compost. (why buy it if i have the time to make my own?) and so here it is as of now. i used a lot of leaves and sticks, there is some rotten greens aswell. i covered the top with some sort of leaves to try and keep the moisture inside. howerver the problem is; it has cockroaches. my mother (inb4 underage. im 19) suggested burning it for the phosphorus. what do?
>>
File: Untitled.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>1053946
>it has cockroaches
Is that detrimental to a compost pile? Being that cockroaches are scavengers, I would think it'd be a benefit as they would digest some of the material for you, like earthworms do.
>>
>>1053988
interesting thought, however earthworms dont get inside the walls of your house. this pile is only ~30 feet away from the house. why would i give them a source of food?
>>
>>1053991
Do you not have pest control measures already in place for your house? A perimeter spray or something?
You shouldn't allow cockroaches to get in your house anyway, regardless of the presence of the cockroach hotel in your yard.

In fact, its existence might actually draw cockroaches away from your house, at least until the weather gets too cold for them.
>>
>>1053995
ok good point, but im only using this area to try to restore the soil. so if you can convince me that a bug fest is good for the plants, im all ears
>>
>>1054002
Everything I can find on Google says that roaches consume dead organic matter, returning nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil, and don't harm living plants.

If you do decide you want to kill them, though, diatomaceous earth would work without harming your compost pile. It doesn't harm plants and it damages anything with an exoskeleton.
I'm not sure what effect the roach corpses would have on the pile, though. I know mammal corpses are bad for plants.
>>
>>1053946
>>1053968
Insects of all kinds are supposed to be in your compost pile when it is outdoors. There are only 2 types of cockroaches that are invasive, those probably aren't them.
>>
>Keep in mind that some rose bushes may still be protected under patent rights and thus, are not to be propagated by anyone other than the patent holder.
Defend this
>>
>>1054128
I can see how this is a thing for a couple years when it comes to selling stuff, but privately in my own garden/house? Nah bugger off, I'll do what I want
>>
>>1054128
It's not like they can hope to enforce it on private citizens anyway.
What are they going to do, hop the fence into my backyard and DNA test my rose bushes in secret?
>>
>>1054162
yes
>>
>>1054162
Monsanto did that very thing at one time. However, they stopped doing it, but only because they won what they were trying to accomplish at the time.
>>
>>1054189
Oh man, I hope one day people will stop conflating Monsanto with GMOs and such in general, so that you don't seem like one of the raving lunatics anymore if you say Monsanto and companies like it are a pest on the world.
>>
>>1050520
Anyone know any good ways to remove hornworms? They did a number on my tomatoes around this time last year, and I had to sit and physically remove them from my crop while they held on with impossible strength. Are there any good ways besides physical removal to keep these guys away in case they come back this year?
>>
>>1050681
Some kind of crossbreed maybe??
Was your basil planted next to your peppers?
>>
>>1054194
It was mentioned because what was mentioned in >>1054162 is literally what they were doing as evidenced in court cases against the offender(s).

>>1054196
By hand. Start prying them lose at the end of the tail. Also, they are already here. You just haven't seen them yet.

If you have a small plot of tomatoes, you can use netting at night. The moth won't be able to get in to your plants to lay eggs. Just make sure the netting has small diameter holes and is not touching the leaves. Insect cloth would also work, but it can touch the plants since the moth can't lay the eggs through the cloth.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Chilli plant is budding! The weather has been very hot here in britbong so I think it's been making the most of it.
>>
Can you guys take autistic tomato anon back?
He's only shitting up the /an/ thread.
>>
>>1054261
He was never /out/ in the first place, was he?
>>
File: Beans 4.jpg (2MB, 3264x1824px) Image search: [Google]
Beans 4.jpg
2MB, 3264x1824px
Thought you guys might like an update on my bean progress from
>>1041859
As you can see, they're coming along quite nicely. They've started flowering in quite a few places so that's a good sign.
I had to do an awful lot of weeding around them this afternoon. Considering the high mineral/low nutrient content of the soil, I figured that there wouldn't be much growth outside of the places where I sowed the germination compost. Boy was I wrong.
Damn aphids are still a problem but aside from giving them a good hosing down there's not much I can do.
Next time I'll make sure to plant some nasturtium nearby.

1/2
>>
File: Photo0889.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0889.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
it's happening
>>
File: Beans 5.jpg (2MB, 3264x1824px) Image search: [Google]
Beans 5.jpg
2MB, 3264x1824px
>>1054279
One other thing - the stems have gotten so tall now that they've gone past the top of the poles and have started entwining with each other.
However, they're not quite long enough yet for me to bride over to the second structure behind.
Any recommendations? Or should I just keeping letting them do their own thing?
>>
>>1054128
>Spend years and money breeding rose.
>Greenhouse down the street buys it and starts selling it for half price.

More for commercial purposes.
>>
I have a botanical question, sort of semi off-topic.

I'm growing a lot of brassica currently, and was wondering what exactly makes them more or less blue in color.
On the broccoli it seems there's some sort of oil on the leaves that reflects blue light, whereas the kale leaves seem quite randomly blue or green. I've also got some transplant green onions that were green indoors, but they've also started turning quite blue.

I'm guessing it's light spectrum related, but can't really find info on it.
>>
>>1054316
http://www.visionlearning.com/blog/2014/10/10/blue-plants/

Lots of brassica don't need strong sunlight. Being blue helps prevent UV sunburn.
>>
>>1054239

I live in south east brit bong and am growing peppers without a greenhouse or anything, just straight outside and my plants are budding and flowering like mad.

Little tip ive picked up about growing peppers here is to stick to variety's that dont grow very tall and produce masses of small peppers.
They seem to do much better in cooler weather then the larger variety's.
>>
File: IMG_0491.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0491.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Can anyone id this plant?
It's an aggressive climber that smoothers the tree next to it, leaves are the size of my hand.
Cheers
>>
>>1054441
Probably one of those wild cucumber vines like bur cucumber, though I'm not sure which one. The color is throwing me off.
>>
File: 024.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
024.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
my zinnia garden
>>
>>1054468
Impressive. Do you get lots of butterflies?
>>
>>1054349
Yeah I read that article when I was looking into it, was kind of hoping for something more in-depth though.
>>
>>1054480
Then you need to look up, "anthocyanin".
>>
>>1054478
yes but it's mostly smaller ones right now. the monarchs and swallow tails tend to come a little later.
>>
>>1054486
Oh, I didn't pick up on that term somehow. Thanks.
>>
File: 20170707_162201.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170707_162201.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
Can anybody ID this bad boy? I've been growing Roma tomatoes from seed, and one of the seeds sprouted into pic related. The leaves aren't like the ones on any of my other tomato plants.
>>
File: 1499470221213.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1499470221213.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>>1054512
Upright
>>
Digging up a garden plot by hand is pretty difficult when all you have is a mattock, shovel, garden rake, and the sweltering humidity of an NC summer's night. Kill me.
>>
>>1054556
It builds character, Anon!
>>
>>1054556
I learned to dig a single hole per plant, only where the plant goes. Like it was a container garden that used holes in the ground. It reduced workload by like 10,000%.
>>
>>1054556
I know your suffering, for I too, am in NC. Not currently in a position to have an outdoor garden, though I may try some container stuff next year.
>>
>>1054512
>>1054516
don't know what kind, but it's probably a tomato plant with 'potato leaves.' some varieties of tomatoes just have that shape of leaf.
>>
>>1054279
QT beans anon, they look pretty healthy and I really dig that truss they're growing up.
You gonna harvest that rhubarb fella?
>>
>>1054576

It builds my hatred of clay.

>>1054587

I'm just digging the entire plot out. Kind of feel like I'm playing Dwarf Fortress and striking the earth.

>>1054605

I have a lot of yard going to waste so I figured I'd use it. It's so humid here lately.
>>
>>1054746
With yard wastes make sure you know exactly what you're putting in.

When I started out I just threw everything into compost, and while I did get a lot of compost, I had to pull weeds every few days. Roots especially can make everything much more difficult in the long run.
>>
I've had a ton of success making compost with 2 basic ingredients I have in abundance - grass clippings and sawdust. Sawdust is extremely high in carbon and clippings are full of nitrogen so they complement each other perfectly in the tumbler.
>>
>>1054755

I meant literally wasted yard. As in I don't see the point in grass so I'm making some of it into a garden so I don't have to mow over it.

The only things that use our yard are our dogs and the Sisyphean task of mowing it is really getting to me even though we have a lawn tractor.
>>
>>1054281
Shit, thanks for reminding me I need to pick up windfallen plums.

>>1054755
Properly composted compost sterilizes all organic matter and decomposes it. No seeds, tubers, or roots survive. I toss in whole thistle plants, trumpet vine roots, etc and they never pop up in the garden when it is all composted. I use open ground for my compost piles and they read about 3 feet high. Though there's lots of yard grass, so that alone will raise the temps up pretty high.
>>
>>1054726
Thanks. I just copied the kind my old man used to use when I was a kid. They seem to like it.
The rhubarb's not mine. Never been much of a fan, to be honest.
>>
How feasible is it to buy a piece of land, build a simple house, start planting my own food, become self sufficient, abandon my job and live like that comfortably on the countryside?
>>
>>1054894
You're going to need a lot of startup money, and will probably need to work an actual job in addition to farming for a few years since you're not just going to become a professional farmer immediately.
>>
>>1054896
I see, but it's possible, right? And it would even be that hard if one have the right amount of money and knowledge, right?
>>
>>1054900
You're always going to need money, for taxes for anything that isn't food. You would have to be able to produce something marketable, and enough of it.
>>
There was a single winged aphid on my pepper plants today.

Killing is rarely this satisfying.
>>
>>1054894
>>1054936
What this guy said. Also, keep in mind: some plants have only small windows you can grow in, what you like nay not be what sells, and what sells may not be what you want to grow. Some plants, like corn, look nice and have nice variety, but take time and are usually not worth the effort in terms of time/money in to output. Also-- remember back in the day when one or two bad harvests meant everyone died? Yeah, subsistence is hard.

Get chickens to help round out your subsistence and also for manure.
>>
File: IMG_20170708_183626.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_183626.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1054939
>iknowthatfeel
I feed em to my sundew. I could almost hear it yell obscenities.

>>1051217
This shit is wack, it cooled down a bit, and the plant didn't really grow much. Now the last 3 days were warmer weather, and it just exploded again. Just 5 days between these 2!
>>
>>1054370
Cheers, will have to give that a go. Pretty sure I got these seeds from a mixed packet so I've got no idea which specific variety this one is.
>>
>>1053946
>>1053968

Buy and read this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Let-Rot-Composting-Down-Earth/dp/1580170234/

Bugs are good in a compost pile. Just make sure you have the right mix of nitrogen and carbon. Always err on too much carbon.
>>
File: bhut progress.jpg (2MB, 4154x1070px) Image search: [Google]
bhut progress.jpg
2MB, 4154x1070px
>>1054998
>>
File: IMG_20170708_173348.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_173348.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
>>1055022
>>
>>1054894
Plan on making greenhouses & polytunnels too. You'll need to extend the season of some plants, depending on where you plan to live.
>>
>>1054894
Farming alone won't 100% sustain you, but if you're committed to living a full-on hermit lifestyle, there's plenty of options to work from home as well. You'll still need a pretty big rainy day buffer, though.
>>
File: DSCN1605a.jpg (218KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1605a.jpg
218KB, 1024x768px
Woo-hoo! Invasive bamboo!

I'll never want for tomato stakes again, once I get some bamboo going. I'll be using containers and a metal bathtub until I have a more permanent high raised bed for these.
>>
>>1055036
Your backyard looks a lot like my neighbors backyard.
>>
actual corn is showing up on my corn plants. after months. few of the pumpkin plants are doing good.
>>
>>1055042
>>1055036
I'd also like to note that the backyards of everyone on this block is infested with bamboo. Are you in NC by any chance?
>>
>>1054201
I haven't tried raising peppers on that pot, only tried chilli, but the seeds didn't sprout and after a month I tried with basil.

Also, that thing doesn't really look like chilli plants.
>>
File: smoking.png (47KB, 632x852px) Image search: [Google]
smoking.png
47KB, 632x852px
>tfw rented out a plot on an allotment recently
>have always dreamed of being a gardener
>plot is fucking covered in dead grass and weeds
>thought I could just dig the plot over, it would take a while but who cares, I have the time and no friends
>went yesterdau with a spade and a large fork
>started trying to dig
>soil is fucking hard and dry as fuck
>can't even make a dent
>I am very weak and scrawny and have anorexia so start to feel pretty nervous about digging the soil with my weak bones exposed to the world
>get angry as fuck
>drive to a DIY store an buy an axe thinking I can smash the ground up with an axe to get to the soft bits
>also assumed if I go at night then it will be better for me because the soil animals will be asleep and might get suddenly woken up by me, causing them to wriggle and loosen the soil
>go at 2am, assume it will be empty
>go to my plot
>take my axe and start smashing the floor with it
>do this for 20 minutes, soil is starting to crack, feel pretty good
>hear a shout
>'WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?'
>'WHO ARE YOU?'
>turn
>allotment manager is there
>he must live in the house in the middle of the site
>panic
>shout 'I AM AXE MURDERING THESE POTATO HAHA'
>run away and escape through the back entrance
>tfw there weren't potatoes there, and I didn't mask my voice

well I guess I'll go back to buying all my food from the store
>>
>>1054703
Thanks!

It bloomed before all of my other tomato plants and it's the same size - maybe it's a good trait?
>>
>>1055134
Why didn't you explain yourself, anon? He might have been able to help you figure out a better way to till the soil.
>>
My apricot plant is almost twice its size from a couple days ago. I do have to transplant this? I added a better draining system with holes at the bottom and cut a a gallon plastic bottle in half for the water to drain. Since I planted it into a paper container, how long do I have before I need to transplant it?
>>
>>1055141
too nervous
>>
French Dwarf Beans or French Little People Beans

Harvest from a single plant. Did I harvest too early? I have never seem them before in the store so I wouldn't know.

Also, any recipices?
>>
>>1055164
Those are a good size. I just made 2 jars of pickled green beans. Lots of people have never had them before and really liked them when I made them last year.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/62594/crisp-pickled-green-beans/

You can skip the canning part and just make them in any jar, then stick them in the fridge to finish pickling. You only need to can for long term storage.
>>
>>1050434
ayy, me too! those and tabasco peppers. made some mango habanero sauce last weekend, and that shit SMACC
>>
File: Calve_Jamaican_Style_Habanero.png (223KB, 1326x1494px) Image search: [Google]
Calve_Jamaican_Style_Habanero.png
223KB, 1326x1494px
>>1055177
Got any recipes for mango sauce? I'm still at a very low tolerance level (those chipotle heatwave doritos are my current limit ._.), but I picked up a mango habanero sauce from a local brand, and while not super hot (a bit over tabasco), it tastes absolutely amazing.
>>
>>1055134
Just go back in the daytime and work like nothing happened.
Be glad the allotment manager cares enough to do some security.

If you're physically weak it's probably start using lighter tools at first, axes or mattocks will probably slow you down until you get stronger.
>>
File: 1424094900030.jpg (41KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1424094900030.jpg
41KB, 512x384px
>>1055134
>f I go at night then it will be better for me because the soil animals will be asleep and might get suddenly woken up by me, causing them to wriggle and loosen the soil
>>
I'm 19 and this summer I wanted to start this composting deal with my parents so I collected a bunch of soil, plant fibers, and the works for it. I put it all in three bins.
Last week it rained pretty hard for 2 days and one of the trash bins got swamped. I tried pouring the extra water out but holy fuck does it smell like shit.

I bus for my local steakhouse and the trash there doesn't smell nearly as bad as this sludge. It's a mixture of wet dirt and absolute nausea inducing rotting shit. I stabbed a few holes in the bottom of the bin to drain it the water out but now flies are swarming around it and the you can smell it if your near it and God help you if your downwind.

What the fuck do I do guys? I'm putting a lid on it next time it rains tho.
>>
>>1055212

Mix in straw. See my advice in >>1055010
>>
>>1055203
This if you want to break soil up use a mattock. Just aim for a 1x1m square to start with and give it all you have and do that every time you go lad. You'll make progress I swear.
>>
>>1055134
Just explain that you're kind of awkward and really new to this in general. People generally aren't assholes for no reason, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you out.
>>
File: IMG_1295.jpg (4MB, 3021x3816px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1295.jpg
4MB, 3021x3816px
>>1049633
1.2 month old maple tree
Added wood ash to it today as fertilizer
>>
>>1055203
>>1055134
Will also recommend fixing your diet and start lifting. It won't magically make you not a fuckup overnight, but it sure is a step in the right direction.
>>
>>1055134
wtf
>>
>>1055218

is this a joke
>>
>>1055216
This. I use a 2lb mattock and it works wonders.
>>
>>1055214
Where do you get your straw?
>>
>>1055224
No why
>>
File: IMG_0378.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0378.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Pumpkin plant looking handsome
>>
>>1055212
i just have piles in chicken wire, seems to work fine, no draining. our poke a hole in the bottom, won't hurt anything.
>>
>>1055247
a lot of mine are small with yellowish leaves. the ones doing best are the ones with less shade. they look real good.
>>
>>1055252
*more shade
>>
>>1055252
Sunburn? Are you trying to grow in like Cali or something? Investing in shade cloth might help.
>>
>>1055259
it gets pretty sunny. even though it's been raining a lot. might plant them all next to the woods next year.
>>
>>1055134
>everyone replying like this isn't bait
>>
>>1055212
It is beginning anaerobic digestion, which smells nasty. That method is a really long term type of composting which also creates methane gas (googgle "methane biogas digester"). Most people don't want that type of composting.

>>1055218
Go out right now and remove all that. It will kill it, if you leave it there. The residual ash left behind after you are done cleaning off the spot will be more than enough for fertilizer.

>>1055261
They need well draining soil that is very rich. Otherwise, they will yellow and die eventually, if the soil doesn't drain enough between rains.
>>
File: Holes.gif (528KB, 435x237px) Image search: [Google]
Holes.gif
528KB, 435x237px
>>1055230
>>1055216
>>1055203
>>1055134
A mattock is great, but I'm telling you guys, use the method described in >>1054587

You just scoop out enough soil in a single spot, add a bit of good soil, mix it, plant in it, mulch around it. No need to till up everything else around it. You can take a normal yard, mow it, dig/till a few holes, plant in them, feed & water normally, and you'll have an amazing garden in no time with very little work.
>>
>>1055283
What about weeds?
>>
>>1055212
>What the fuck do I do guys?
Anaerobic composting. The compost you have in mind is aerobic.

I would not recommend trying to use any bins that will hold water. You can try drilling holes, but I've tried that for storing waste and it typically gets clogged. Easiest just to make a heap and fence it off in you're limited on space.
>>
>>1055252
It's Sunburn my dude
>>
>>1055285
Cut and mulch.
>>
Testing adding starch to seedlings to aid growth.
>>
>>1055285
They don't grow so good if you don't till the whole yard, and are easier to control.
>>
File: holyfuck.jpg (390KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
holyfuck.jpg
390KB, 1080x1080px
How do I get started my dudes? My family gardened for very long, but we had a very small garden, with a small variety of common vegetables and spice plants.

They've never really taught me much in that domain, and now I'd like to garden on my own. Do you guys have some kind of "gardening for beginners" thing?
>>
>>1055430
Dirt, seed, sun, water
>>
>>1055430
put an avocado pit in water
get a lemon tree
start more peppers than one person can manage
>>
>not sure if thing sticking out of seed is a root or leaf
>assume it's leaf
>was root

Stupid mistake, now 8 seedlings have their root bent down
>>
>>1055441
How do you mistake the two?

>>1055435
Is this from the /hgm/ handbook?
>>
>>1055449
It was a little nub when I planted the seeds so I couldn't tell
>>
File: build-your-own-hot-compost-pile.png (369KB, 830x1063px) Image search: [Google]
build-your-own-hot-compost-pile.png
369KB, 830x1063px
>>1055232
You can get one of those large round bales cheaply enough from farmers.
Your pile is likely anaerobic from poor aeration, uneven N/C ratio, or being far too wet for too long.

See pic related for more info, 50/50 N/C ratio is pretty foolproof.
Nitrogen material is pretty much any plant matter that is green and Carbon material is just about any plant matter that's dry and brown.
Spent brewing malt, as I've said before, is an excellent high carbon starter and can make a pile go nuclear in a few days if turned in while still warm.
>>
>>1055232
Bales can be bought at most hardware or farm supply stores for $5-8.

>>1055499
I've found that you can get a bed of straw wet and just keep adding kitchen scraps that you run through the blender. It makes compost in 3 months vs 1+ years
>>
File: Hugel.jpg (181KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
Hugel.jpg
181KB, 636x900px
>>1055285
>>1055308
Sweet Lord no, do not cut and mulch weeds unless you can guarantee they have no seeds on them.
either pull them out and dispose of them, poison them or hot compost them to kill off seeds.
>>
>>1055504
The shortest I had was 2.5 months and that was in winter, the gases coming off the pile were visible from the other side of the yard and it was uncomfortably hot to handle with gloves.

I'll be doing in-ground vermicomposting this year as well as a layered straw and green matter pile like >>1055499 pic.
Vermicomposting is higher maintenance of course, but it's compatible with trench composting as long as you add bedding for the worms.
>>
>>1055524
Higher maintenance in what way? I thought you just had to add a bunch of worms to a pile of plant scraps and they'd handle the rest.
>>
>>1055134
>Rent out small rototiller.
>Ask staff there how to use it properly.
>Go back to your lot.
>Thank allotment manager for his vigilance. (Bring sone beer maybe)
>Explain that he startled you and that you aren't good with people/are awkward, that's why you reacted so weird.
>You went at night because you were afraid that else someone might have laughed about your feeble attempt
>Laugh about it.
>Tell you are all new to gardening and ask if he has some advice for you.
>The allotment manager is now an acquaintance, knowing you even if you might want to work at night.
>Till your plot like a pro with the machine you rented earlier.
>Grow peppers. Lots of peppers.

No worries man, we all did something cringeworthy at some point. Just keep going.
>>
File: IMG_20170422_133049.jpg (3MB, 2833x3499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170422_133049.jpg
3MB, 2833x3499px
>>1055435
>start more peppers than one person can manage
Fuckin this!
>>
>>1055508
You cut the weeds then mulch the area. Also, mulching with the cut weeds it fine, even if they have tons of seeds on them. After all, mulching prevents them from coming up.

I know this because that's what I've done for 30+ years with new beds.
>>
>>1054370
Solid advice. Im having success with larger fruited varieties if I limit the amount of fruit though. My suspicion is that its a light and water thing rsther than heat, but im no professional.
>>
>>1055298
Sunburn is white not yellow.
>>
>>1055593
It is even easier than that. Just put the compost on the bare ground and the worms will come to it. You don't even need to turn it or anything. After a year or so, you have amazing compost. Just don't stack it over 3 feet high at any point and start your timer when you throw on the last of the materials to be composted. I keep a few piles going all the time, so I always have new finished compost every season.
>>
>>1055658
Can you not feed a vermicompost bin continuously?
For the past month or two I've been tossing all my vegetable waste into a bin full of worms hoping they'll break it down.
>>
>>1055681
You can, but at some point will need to harvest your vermicompost. Doing that is easier when the worms are mostly gone. This is for open ground vermicomposting, not in a bin. Even for bins, it is a good idea to have multiple bins if you are creating a lot of waste. Otherwise, there will be too much material for the worms to eat and it will cause disease.

I don't like work. I'm allergic to it. Thus, I use open ground technique, or better yet, I do it all inside a new raised bed. Then I don't even need to move it when its done. I just wait long enough for everything to be composted then plant in it. When it is in open ground, I'll always plant pumpkins and squash on it the first year after its fully composted. They go nuts.
>>
>>1055651
My mistake then
>>
>>1050043
>what are onion sets
>>
File: IMG_20170709_182540.jpg (1MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170709_182540.jpg
1MB, 4640x2610px
>>1055435
>start more peppers than one person can manage
Did that before I even found these threads. What is it about peppers that makes a man go 'I think I'll plant a few extra just in case' and then they all hatch and oh my god where am I going to put them?
>>
>>1055687
>if you are creating a lot of waste. Otherwise, there will be too much material for the worms to eat and it will cause disease.
What qualifies as "a lot of waste"?
I've been feeding them roughly one or two plates of veggies a week, and I've got at least a pound of worms in the bin.
>>
>>1055790
It is worse when you have so many you can't keep up with picking and preserving them and all your friends avoid you during harvest season because you keep giving them so many "god damn peppers".
>>
>>1055801
>What qualifies as "a lot of waste"?

Google up how to feed worms. Amounts of waste, depth of waste and square area of your bin all need to be taken into account. Basically, there should never been moldy veggies in your worm bin. It means there's more than they can handle and more moisture than there should be.

Some people produce a lot of kitchen waste.
>>
>>1055802
It's my first time growing, I managed to give away 5 plants, so I'm safe for now, but I fear next year. I don't have much space, and no real garden, but I'm already contemplating buying another of those plastic greenhouses, or maybe replace my current one with a bigger one.
>>
How often should I water my lemons?
They're sitting on my window in pots, they're about 2 ich high now with 2 leaves each.
>>
>>1055804
Will do.
Also, do vermicompost bins benefit from churning/aeration like regular compost bins?
>>
What is /out/'s opinion on permaculture?

https://youtu.be/SOznP1RDGMo
>>
>>1055802
>tfw i have 20 peppers but they're in cheap shit soil and barely surviving
>>
>>1055885
Mine are thriving in cheap shit soil mixed with some perlite, spend maybe $40 on soil & perlite for 11 plants in big pots.
Are they getting enough sun?
>>
>>1055892
Yeah. It is the soil, because I have 4 more peppers in good soil and the look great.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
>>1055893
NEW THREAD: >>1055900
>>
>>1055870
Varg has a cute family and I wish he'd more more videos about his sustainable lifestyle than politics.
>>
>>1055790
THE RIBENING!
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 105

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.