[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BAKPAKING GENRAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

File: 20170628_035432.png (2MB, 1920x962px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_035432.png
2MB, 1920x962px
A general backpacking thread. Post set ups, preferences, and lessons learned on the trail
>>
File: Screenshot_20170628-040839.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170628-040839.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
What do fellow scouts have for packs?
>size
>brand
>trail weight
>>
Will people make fun of my Alice pack
>>
File: bigbait.jpg (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bigbait.jpg
21KB, 600x600px
>>1047526
Literally who cares? It's a proven affordable pack that works, especially with mods.
People that make fun of that pack because it didnt cost $500+ are probably the same people that would make fun of your non-$500 designer shoes.
>>
>>1047531
Thanks, you're a nice guy
>>
https://lighterpack.com/r/6jzbjh
>>
>>1047548
>https://lighterpack.com/r/6jzbjh
Clean setup. Why the CDT over the Ohm 2.0? I'm at a toss-up between the two.
>>
>>1047588
CDT was the only one available in my country when I was after a new bag. Just having a quick look at the Ohm I don't think I'd need that much space. I can get all my 3 season stuff in my bag and 4 days food in there. 5 at an uncomfortable push!
>>
>>1047548
>https://lighterpack.com/r/6jzbjh
for cooking you literally put
SPORK.
what the fuck dude..
>>
>>1047968
All you need is heroin to make it /out/
>>
File: Screenshot_20170629-042653.png (642KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170629-042653.png
642KB, 1080x1920px
I'm seriously considering the atmos for my next pack. It seems durable, comfortable, and light(ish).

Can anyone talk me out of it?

I would get the smaller 50l version. I am buying an entirely new kit soon so I think 50l will be enough but I don't know for sure
>>
File: 20170114_134907.jpg (5MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170114_134907.jpg
5MB, 4128x2322px
This plus a .22 with two 10 round mags
>>
>>1047968
Oh woops. I didn't realise this thing is dynamic! I have been playing around with it so there are items missing!
>>
>>1047968
It's back to normal now!
>>
File: 1491598401963.jpg (23KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1491598401963.jpg
23KB, 326x326px
>>1048424
>lantern
>>
>go dayhiking
>half the people have headphones
>everybody is standoffish and dressed like they're at the gym
>go backpacking
>everybody is dirty and instantly brotier
>will offer you trail mix and jerky
>asks you questions out of genuine interest in you
>warm and engaging
Why is this?
>>
>>1048442
the backpackers haven't seen another man in days and are eager to learn news of the frontier, wild west style
>>
>>1048384
I just ordered the 50l for myself. It's one of the best non-UL backpacking bags out there right now. Trying one on completely sold me. The level of full torso contact was something I hadn't experienced before. It felt like the pack was spooning me.
>>
>>1047524
>backpacking

>hey want to go hiking?
>sure

>>hey want to go backpacking?
>sure
>*puts on backpack and goes hiking*

You weightards are ridiculous.
>>
File: Untitled.png (84KB, 838x394px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
84KB, 838x394px
>>1048442
They've had time to unwind.
>>
>>1048443
The best part is when a group of strangers tries to discuss the upcoming weather. Everybody thinks it's going to be radically different and everybody leaves with even less of an idea of what the conditions will be like.
>>
File: ww.jpg (43KB, 743x364px) Image search: [Google]
ww.jpg
43KB, 743x364px
>>1048450
I met an indian who told me the winter this year will be unlike any other. Better bundle up, traveler.
>>
>>1048445
>You weightards are ridiculous.
How so?
>>
File: CampTrailsExternal.jpg (25KB, 313x500px) Image search: [Google]
CampTrailsExternal.jpg
25KB, 313x500px
I use a Camp Trails External I bought off ebay for $20. Pic related down to the color, but that's not mine (I've had to replace cords, and sew up mouse holes).

>Started off hiking as a UL fag, frameless w/ a Katahdin Equinox pack.
>Shit tore on me, replaced it with a internal framepack (Coleman Max 75L from Walmart, desperate)
>Realized frames are amazing
>Replaced shitty internal frame with nicer internal frame (Granite Gear Blaze 60L)
>Used that for a while
>Got curious, bought current pack
>Fucking GOAT
>Toss my internal frames at friends when I take them in the woods.
I love my external frame, the cheapest oldest pack I own.
>>
>>1048508
I have an Eddie Bauer external frame pack from the '70s, very similar to your pack there. I fucking love frame packs, and find them to be much more comfortable and cooler to wear. The only part I have a hard time with is the waistbelt, which is not breathable (because old tech) and I can start getting a rash along my hips after a couple days.
>>
>>1048454
I was thinking that myself. Summer in NH has been cold and wet. I get the feeling winter will be the worst in living memory. I can feel it.
>>
>>1047526
Nah. Alice packs work.
>>1048508
Externals are gods. UL hikers dont get that it's easier to carry extra weight if it's distributed properly.
>>
>>1048525
>UL hikers dont get that it's easier to carry extra weight if it's distributed properly.
I do understand the principal. I even own a framed pack. But I enjoy getting my gear as light as possible.
>>
>>1048384
I've got the 65l and I like it a lot. The only thing is the weird shape inside. It curves and that can make packing bulkier stuff slightly trickier. Not a real issue but i know some people complain about that.
>>
Is there a pack that is similar to the army assault pack, but somewhere between assault pack and rucksack in size?

Many times the assault pack barely fits my needs, but the ruck is overkill.
>>
>>1048525
many of the current UL packs are external frames. it's a great system, but built with lightweight materials and modern ergonomic principles
>>
>>1048445
Literally what?
>>
>>1048384
first, buy all your other gear first, and either measure the volume or take it to a store and test fit into the pack.

second, consider the exos.
>>
>>1047548
Autism
>>
easy mac + tuna pouch + hot sauce = best dinner
>>
Hi guys and girls, I have not used 4chan before so flame if need be.

I have a repairs question with regards to my backpack. It is a trespass trek 66ltr (https://www.greatoutdoorssuperstore.co.uk/trespass-trek-66-litre-rucksack-ash-p39317/s127029?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trespass-trek-66-litre-rucksack-ash-92692905&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CJ-3jfrT49QCFQe-7QodunAIiQ) that I have been using for a few months now. At the base of the bag alongside my back the "Back support bars" have punctured through the material and protrude now. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a long term repair rather than duct taping it. The bars have pierced both sides of the bag ( One for each bar) leaving small holes. In its current state it still works but the protruding bars dig into my hips.

Cheers in advance!
Badger
>>
>>1048632
Welcome to 4chan, newfriend. Couple quick things:
>Badger
No need to namefag, it's seen as a form of vanity by many here and they will call you an attention whore.

>https://www.greatoutdoorssuperstore.co.uk/trespass-trek-66-litre-rucksack-ash-p39317/s127029?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trespass-trek-66-litre-rucksack-ash-92692905&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CJ-3jfrT49QCFQe-7QodunAIiQ
You should trim your links; it gives your post a cleaner look. Generally, anything from the first question mark on is unnecessary. Like this:
https://www.greatoutdoorssuperstore.co.uk/trespass-trek-66-litre-rucksack-ash-p39317/s127029

Unfortunately I am unable to help with your dilemma; is the pack under warranty? If so, just trade it in. Otherwise, padding the bars and patching the fabric may be your best bet.

Finally, the folks over on >>>/diy/ (/diy/nosaurs) may be able to offer insights that we sc/out/s miss.
>>
Cheers for the reply pal. DESU with the "namefag" I just wanted a quick way to detect my post. Ah well if anon is this sites flavor then so be it :) Cheers for the link clean up as well.

Should I post over to /diy/ now or hang about in case anyone else has any insights?

Cheers :)
>>
fucking keyboard DESU not desu, whatever that means :P
>>
gonna quit correcting while i am behind.
T B H.
>>
>>1048424
>Frankenpack
You've got more shit outside of it than inside.
>>
>>1048445
>hiking: no overnight stay
>backpacking: overnight outside
>>
>>1047525
an old jansport external frame
thats all i know. it works. i bought it at a sport chalet in like 2005. i have to pull the straps taught every half mile or so though.
>>
>>1047525
Alice pack w/external frame, not sure of the capacity. I only do legit backcountry trips once or twice a year, so it more than suits my needs
>>
File: 3.jpg (39KB, 396x338px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
39KB, 396x338px
>>1048626
Light, comfy, 3 season, autsim.
>>
File: IMAG0657.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0657.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>1047525
This t b h

Need to find either more room, or a pillow the size of a bread box.

Wonder if a sustainment pouch would attach correctly to this?
>>
>>1047525
>size
A 50L and a 65L
>brand
50L is an Eberlestock, 65L is an Osprey
>trail weight
Varies from 25-55lb depending on length and location of hike. My base weight is 17lb.
>>
>>1047525
>size
38L
>brand
Osprey
>trail weight
22lbs. 13lb base weight.
>>
>>1048727
Where did you get this? What kind is it exactly?
>>
>>1048856
Just search "Ocp assault pack" and find out on ebay, may run you about a hundred dollars, multicam is extremely popular now.

You can get the exact pack for less than half that if you Google "acu assault pack" however.

The sleeping pad is just some army inflatable thing, pretty good combo of rugged, light, and comfy, plus I got it for free. Might be like 25 bucks on ebay.

Pack weighs like 4lbs and it's capable of 35l iirc, you can really pack your life in there if you want, it won't rip. I do want something that will comfortably hold more though, an extra 20l would be great for my purposes. Oh, and it's molle accessible, which is why I'm thinking about the sustainment pouch (big pouch issued separately) to expand it, 2 of those and I won't need a new bag... But they're 40 bucks a pop, so may as well upgrade
>>
>>1048632
Learn to sew, stitch some thick fabric over where the support bars have punctured. Helps to do this over the top, too, so they don't slip out of the top and lose all usefulness
>>
>>1048856
>>1048881
I checked prices just for shits and giggles, buy now my friend. Giant army rucksacks, excellent quality and condition, 40 dollars. Only real issue is the ugly acu pattern, but fuck it, these packs are literally bomb proof and WILL fit a week's worth of army kit, which should translate to a month's worth of civvie kit since you don't have to plan on fighting isis with what you bring innawoods.
>>
>>1048884
okay cool, so just any thick waterproof fabric? I was thinking about using a bonding agent over it as well as sewing to try keep it water tight.

I dont need to worry about the top as the bars are designed to be removed from the inside at the top.
>>
File: tiarccf_1.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tiarccf_1.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>1048516
I've had half a mind to buy another/build a frame and build it up w/ modern tech. Amazon apparently sells a good waistbelt if you want to replace yours. I like the waist belt on mine tho, so I don't wanna fux w/ it.

>>1048525
Yess. I first started using it when taking an ex-gf inna woods, wanted her to carry my internal and I would lug luxury items (mainly steak & beer). Realized weight is so much less an issue with a proper frame.

>>1048611
I don't know if many current ultra light packs are external frames, but there are a few- pic related. To be honest I don't understand it. It seems like a conflict of interest. I've heard hunters like them? If anyone can explain...
>>
>>1048632
Don't wanna be that guy, but buy a better pack. This and shoes are the thing you don't want to have fuck up on you when you're far out there. Especially if you're new to hiking (which I presume you are), you want to be able to hike back to safety hopefully without abandoning any gear which may be crucial.

As far as repair goes, sewing on some tough fabric would be a good stop-gap measure. In the long term, check and see if you're A) carrying appropriate loads in the pack, your shit could be too heavy B) wearing the pack properly/strapping everything down properly C) check the bars and see if there's a manufacturing defect and check for a warranty

Even a cheapo pack like that shouldn't be busting open like that after a few months. You may be able to blunt or cap the ends of the frame so it doesn't wear through the fabric, but you would have to get creative.

>p.s. welcome
>>
>>1047524
My advice is enjoy yourself

Fuck everything else
>>
>>1049047
Hunters like them for hauling meat out. Simply smash the bag flat and lash your animal quarter over top of it.
>>
>>1048984
>don't need to do the top
You say that but my experience tells me otherwise. The little fabric cap that goes over the poles, probably velcro, never works for shit - especially with some weight and hundreds of miles on them. You probably won't ever need to remove the poles but if you're hiking and one slips out of the fabric cap you will lose all usefulness of the poles. Just sew the velcro down along the sides, it takes a few minutes and will save you later. If you ever need to remove the poles for some reason, just cut the thread and resew afterwards.

.t lived out of backpack for years and never once needed to remove the poles from any backpack
>>
>>1049051
>>1049287

Cheers for the info everyone. I had considered getting a new gearbag anyway I just haven't got the cash for fork out for a new one just yet. I have some more trips planned for over the summer so I am hoping to get at least that amount of life out of this bag and then upgrade.

I couldn't see a reason to remove the poles either but I figured the option couldn't hurt. I will sew it down as well if that is best. The last hike I was on I was over encumbered towards the end as we had two of our group bail out on us after a rough night and the tent we had got split between less of us weight wise. Piece of shit tent anyway, fucking 15kg for a 6 man. Needless to say they are not coming out on further trips and a lighter tent has been bought since then.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.